"Was Sirius a Slytherin?" aka "The Marauders and their Houses"

Pages : [1] 2

Jennie
September 10th, 2002, 2:58 am
If the statement that "every witch or wizard that ever went bad came from Slytherin" is true, does that mean that Sirius was a Slytherin? :sad:

Dumbledore, Professor Lupin, Harry, Hermione, and Ron may know that Sirius didn't "go bad", but nobody else does. (At least as best as I can remember...) So to make the above statement true, Sirius would have to have been a Slytherin. Correct? Or is there a flaw in my logic that I'm overlooking (Probably so! :) )

The problem though, is that I can't recall if that was in the book(s) or was just in the movie. Anyways, just something that I thought of earlier.

Jennie

HPFan4Life248
September 10th, 2002, 3:14 am
I was just thinking about this the other day,only I was thinking about Peter Petigrew. I mean, we know he went bad, but why were James, Sirius, and Lupin freinds with him if he was in Slytherin and they were in Gryffindor? If he was in Gryffindor instead of Slytherin then he would be the exeption to the rule.

Did that make any sense at all?

Jennie
September 10th, 2002, 3:18 am
Yes, it made perfect sense. Another good question....hmmm.....so, was Peter the exception to the rule or were James, Sirius, and Lupin all in Slytherin? Egads, perish the thought!!

Kneazle
September 10th, 2002, 3:25 am
I personally think that Hagrid (who says that in the first book) was just generalizing, since the Slytherin characteristics can prompt people to turn to the dark side. Thus, Slytherin has produced more Dark Wizards than the other houses. Over a thousand years, there have to have been dark wizards from other houses. At the time that Hagrid said that, however, he believed that Sirius had betrayed Lily & James; Sirius' supposed actions were very closely related to Harry, so Hagrid may have had Sirius in mind when he was talking. :shrug: I think Sirius was a Gryffindor. I don't think the betrayal would have been such a shock if he was a Slytherin. Then again, they were always inseperable. . .

raeredeyes
September 10th, 2002, 4:47 am
Im with Kneazle...Hagrid was only generalising - there must be some people from slytherin that dont lead a life of evil.

And on another note - Sirius never went bad, he was just misunderstood! He did not reveal the Potter's as he wasnt their secret keeper, and he did not blow up the street and kill the muggles. So if he was in Slytherin, it had nothing to do with those incidents.
He is yet to have his name cleared, but his innocense is pretty clear to be seen. He did go a bit dodgy in PoA, but that can be explained by his attempt to protect Harry.
I think it does not make much difference that no body else knows that he is innocent - they will have to be told the truth sooner or later, and then they will see that he didnt go bad.

Also, even though Hagrid did say that about the Slytherins, it doesnt mean that there is the possibility that people from other houses can go bad.
And it seems unlikely that such a strong friendship can exist between houses. It seems like the marauders were very close, and i think tht this is enough evidence to presume that they were in the same house.
Besides, they used to pick on Snape, didnt they? This would also back up the claim that the four would have been in Gryffindor. If Black was in Slytherin, wouldnt he have stood up for Snape. House groups tend to stick together and look after their members.

Cat
September 10th, 2002, 5:19 am
Firstly, it was Hagrid who said that. Hagrid also says at one point that foreigners should never be trusted. I wouldn't take his words to heart.

Secondly, Slytherin isn't the house of evil. It's where all the power-hungry are shoved out of the way. Power corrupts so these people tend to go rotten. But people can do evil deeds whatever their personalities.

I believe James, Peter, Remus and Sirius were all Gryffindor classmates.

HogwartsChaplain
September 10th, 2002, 5:32 am
Doesn't the movie specifically point out that James was on the Gryffindor Quidditch team? In the scene with the quidditch trophy with James' name on it-- wasn't that for Gryffindor?

In the book, didn't McGonagall say that James had been a great asset to "the house team"? She wouldn't have mentioned it that way if James had been on another house team.

Those aren't rhetorical questions-- I didn't take the time to look up the evidence.

Great thread! I look forward to reading more. :)

Manyasha
September 10th, 2002, 3:06 pm
Originally posted by Jennie
If the statement that "every witch or wizard that ever went bad came from Slytherin" is true, does that mean that Sirius was a Slytherin?
Hm...I believe this statement is not true. As it has been said, Hagrid exagerrated a bit. I think that James, Sirius, Remus and Peter were all in Gryffindor.:)

Jennie
September 10th, 2002, 11:22 pm
Originally posted by Manyasha
I think that James, Sirius, Remus and Peter were all in Gryffindor.:)

I sure hope so! :)

Sinistra
September 11th, 2002, 2:01 am
Um, guys, Snape DID go bad. He was a genuine, tattooed, dyed-in-the-wool death eater. Later he changed and decided to work for the side of good. At great personal risk. But he changed sides before Voldy's downfall.

Anyhow that statement about Slytherins going bad is probably a generalization. And it means that most of the infamous dark wizards were probably Slytherins, but not all Slytherins become notorious bad wizards. Many probably grow up and have productive lives. Wonder what house Crouch Sr. and Jr. were in, and Fudge, too. All are ambitious but in different ways. And ambitious doesn't mean smart. Look at Fudge.

I concurr that James, Sirius, Lupin and Peter were proabbly all Gryffindors. And I think that people from other houses can "go bad" they just probably do it differently (or less spectacularly) than the Slytherins. Or it isn't played up as much.

Sam
September 11th, 2002, 2:12 am
I think that Padfoot, Moony and Prongs were all in Gryffindor. How else could they have been such great friends? And, if they were living in different houses, how could have Sirius and James notice that Remus was leaving once a month?

owl post 1992
September 11th, 2002, 2:50 am
Doesn't the movie specifically point out that James was on the Gryffindor Quidditch team? In the scene with the quidditch trophy with James' name on it-- wasn't that for Gryffindor?

yep Jame was on the trophy it said chaser but he was a seeker and if only students from one house went bad then wouldn't Voldemort have a hard time wining a war against Dumbledore good side which has more people in it :??:

Fleur
September 11th, 2002, 3:09 am
I think that Slytherin just has the greatest capacity for evil and dark magic.

Originally posted by owl post 1992
if only students from one house went bad then wouldn't Voldemort have a hard time wining a war against Dumbledore good side which has more people in it :??:

I think that Voldie convinced more than just Slytherins. The most power hungry were the Slytherins, but that does not mean that someone that was in the other houses would keep the same characteristcis once they left the school. They could have changed dramactically once they left Hogwarts into a completley different person.

HogwartsChaplain
September 11th, 2002, 4:41 am
Originally posted by Sinistra
Wonder what house Crouch Sr. and Jr. were in, and Fudge, too. All are ambitious but in different ways. And ambitious doesn't mean smart. Look at Fudge.
Another who is ambitious is Percy Weasley, and he was in Gryffindor. Percy is smart, and has a good heart, but I'm not sure about his ability to make good decisions.

Fleur Delacour
September 11th, 2002, 6:40 am
I think that Hagrid was just exaggerating, I think that he said that because he still beleives that Sirius was the bad guy, who betrayed Lily and James.

Anyways, I think that they all were in Gryffindor. My reasons for beleiveing this are because we know, that James was a Gryffindor. If Sirius was a Slytherin, I honestly don't beleive that James and him would assosiate that often and become that good of friends. Meaning that they wouldn't have probably been around Lupin enough to descover that he was a werewolf. Plus, it never says that EVERYONE who went bad was in Slytherin, therefore stating that Pettigrew might have also been in Gryffindor. Sirius was probably in gryffindor because when her went after Scabbers he ended up running in to Ron instead. How could he have known where the dormitory was if he wasn't a Griffindor? And plus didn't JK say in an interveiw that they were all four in Gryffindor?

Thats just me rambling... doubt anyone could make sense of that.

HogwartsChaplain
September 11th, 2002, 6:59 am
Good point about knowing where the Gryffindor rooms are.
Playing devil's advocate for a moment, :devil: Sirius could have learned a lot about any areas of Hogwarts from the Marauder's Map. I expect he could have a lot still memorized in his mind from his days as a student, even if that were a long time ago, and even if they did lose the map to Filch.

But I really believe that Sirius was a Gryffindor. :D

Tarawyn
September 14th, 2002, 3:25 pm
Hagrid really isn't a good source for information. He's more than a little bias and has a habit of improperly stating facts. Slytherin probably has the largest output of eventual Dark wizards and witches, but all of them are likely to have contributed numbers.

At any rate, James was in Gryffindor; I believe it was stated by Rowling. I find it hard to believe that James and Sirius could be best friends and a "double-act" if they were in different Houses, particularly ones with a habit of mutual dislike...and I also believe Rowling stated they were in the same House in an interview as well. Like Fleur just stated.

matahari toad
September 20th, 2002, 10:34 pm
Yeah, I guess it would be pretty boring and stereotyped if all the Dark wizards came from Slytherin and all others were just nice and uncorruptable. And remember the Sorting Hat? " Slytherin could help you on the way to greatness" So there's nothing inherently wrong with Slytherin, it's just a that some people go for the wrong sort of greatness. But a Ravenclaw who goes for the wrong sort of Wisdom (kind of Saruman-like) might be dark, too. Or a Hufflepuff who just doesn't realise the deceit in the death-eater's ideology because he's a little too naive...

Tarawyn
September 20th, 2002, 10:40 pm
True...I think that Slytherins might have a reputation for becoming Dark wizards because they have more likelyhood to turn without a dark lord and without much else besides personal motivation, to become a lord themselves, and to practice dark magic against the law than the graduates of other houses--particularly the former. And if Slytherins are more likely to turn Dark in peacetime, then the statement must be increased to the maximum in wartime. Most things are.

Thayet
September 21st, 2002, 12:19 pm
I think its just that slytherins have a reputation for being bad.

Sirius most definitely was Gryffindor, as was Peter, I cant explain how I know but I'm sure they were, we know James was, and they said they all went everywhere together, implying that sirius and peter were gryffindors.

I think Peter Petigrew went bad for the power, and with the influence of Lord Voldemort I suspect it may not just have been slytherins that went bad - over to Voldemorts side.

PoppyFairy
September 28th, 2002, 8:32 pm
mmm, mayb u r right, but i sometimes thought that peter was a slytherin, but other times i thought he was a gryffindor 4 being james friend. but i agree with u, he might have bcome evil after hogwarts.

iDrive305
September 28th, 2002, 8:54 pm
no he couldnt of been a slytherin

Lady V
September 28th, 2002, 9:04 pm
I agree that Hagrid was just generalizing with that statement. I also agree that the marauders were all part of the same house. I also agree that not all Slytherins are evil. Power hungry maybe but not evil. :evil:

rubeushagrid63
September 29th, 2002, 11:36 am
I agree with Lady V. and also, i have read A LOT of fan fictions on the internet, and they all end up in gryffindor. and i dont think the others would mingle with slytherins, and i am pretty sure that james potter was in gryffindor, seeing as there is a LARGE rumour around that Harry is gruffindors HEIR, meaning james would have to be as well, meaing he would be chosen for gryffindor. sirius would be in gryffindor, and just because the rest of the wizarding world thinks he he bad, doesnt make him bad, meaning sirius would be in gryffindor anyway, becuase he is REALLY good, so the sorting hat doesnt care what people think, its whats inside his head.

do u get me.
Chris.

Fuchsia
September 29th, 2002, 5:06 pm
They could not have been inseperable if one of the group
was in a different house even if it were Ravenclaw.
They wouldn't have all their classes together. They couldn't
eat together. And they wouldn't sleep together. (ooh Lupin and Sirius sleeping together...I have a fanfic idea.)

Someone thinking you are bad *could* help you onto that path.
Putting an innocent man in prison with all of the other criminals.
You are forced to survive and that means becoming like them.
Sirius was luckily seperated from the other inmates (or I'd have a fanfic idea) but there *were* dementors.
I'm not saying that Sirius is evil but that it is possible.

Cat
September 29th, 2002, 6:47 pm
They could have been great friends from different houses but they GREW together, didn't they? I mean that when they found out about Lupin's predicament they drew closer. It would be like if Seamus or Dean - who Harry isn't particularly close to - became a werewolf. Or, even better, it's like when Harry found out Neville was having a harsh time of it. He wasn't on best friend terms with Neville but he feels close to a fellow Gryffindor.

I think James, Sirius, Remus and Peter were shoved into a dorm together. It's why they were fairly close enough to become best mates. It also meant that sneaking out would have been easier.

Fuchsia
September 29th, 2002, 6:57 pm
You are so right (again).
It would be so suspicious if three of them were huddled
together outside the Slytherin common room.
And wouldn't a Slytherin just HATE a fellow Slytherin
for telling a Gryffindor where their house is even located?

bunn2007
September 29th, 2002, 10:06 pm
i seriously don't remember hagrid saying n e thing like but i do remember ron saying "there hasn't been a single sly who wasn't gone bad" when malfoy was sorted. so i think the slys go bad but sometimes go good after that(i.e snape). however, that doesn't mean that peeps from other houses can't go bad,too. not everbody is an angel. & harry's ambitious ain't he? & he begged & pleaded w/ the sorting hat & became a gry didn't he? & then i've also heard that if u fit 2 houses that u go where u r needed or somthing like that.(correct me if i'm wrong)

rubeushagrid63
September 30th, 2002, 3:08 am
hey bunn2007. in one of the books this is told by Dumbledore:
"The reason that the Sorting Hat wanted to put Harry into Slytherin was because the night Voldemort tried to kill Hrry and the curse backfired, some of Voldemort's powers went INTO Harry. This is why Harry is a parseltongue, becuase Voldemort's power of Parseltongue was passed to Harry those 13 years ago. This was not something that Voldemort had intended, or expected"

Chris.

SiriuslyBria
October 24th, 2002, 9:10 pm
It was my impression from the books that James, Peter, Remus, and Sirius were all in Gryffindor, however, I don't think this is ever been confirmed. With the exception of Peter :rasp: , I certainly think Gryffindor fits for them.

However... upon closer inspecition, I think Sirius was in Slytherin, not Gryffindor. :wow: Don't get me wrong, I hate the thought that Sirius was in Slytherin :censored: , but after some deep thinking about the evidence presented in the books, that is my conclusion. :'(

Now for why I think this...

In the first book, Hagrid tells Harry that there isn't a witch or wizard who went bad who wasn't in Slytherin. Ron mentions this as well (at least in the movie). By this statement, I believe he meant that any witch or wizard that went bad and had gone to Hogwarts, had been in Slytherin House. However, Hagrid said this in SS/PS. At that point in time, it was believed that Sirius Black had been Voldemort's spy and had killed all those people the night Lily and James die. But from Hagrids statement, I have to believe Sirius was in Slytherin. This could also explain some of the Sirius/Snape stuff. Being in the same house probably made them hate each other even more. Hermione's Gryffindor dormmates don't seem to care for her, yet they are in the same house, so I have to believe Snape/Sirius being in the same house is possible.

Then, In Goblet of Fire during the sorting ceremony a boy is sorted into Slytherin and Harry wonders if the boy knows the houses reputation for turning out more dark wizards than any other. This is different now. There has been at least one that went bad who wasn't in Slytherin. Obviously, I'm taking about Peter Pettigrew. I believe he was probably in Gryffindor, though for the life of me I can't say why. I don't think he fits the description of any non-Slytherin house, but I think that was what this passage was getting at.

I want Sirius to haven been in Gryffindor, but for JKR to reiterate that the dark wizard thing three times (1st Hagrid, then Ron, then Harry thinks it in GoF), I have to believe there is a reson for this all. That any person coming from any house is capable of going bad, and that not all in Slytherin are bad...

Now it is possible that JKR just goofed. She's done it before (Marcus Flint stated to be in his seventh year, then we see him the following year when he should no longer be attending Hogwarts). The impression I got from the books was that James, Peter, Remus, and Sirius were all Gryffindor, but.... why all the emphasis on Slytherin being the house dark wizards came from, only to switch it to the house that turned out MORE dark wizards than any other? :sigh: It all just seems pretty planned out to me. ;)

Of course in Goblet of Fire, Harry could just be thinking that because he then knew *Wormtail* went bad and hadn't been in Slytherin. I'd like to think that was it. :) But Hagrid's comment on dark wizards came at a point when Sirius was believed to have been bad. That implies he was in Slytherin, to my way of thinking. ;)

Anybody have thoughts on this?

bunn2007
October 24th, 2002, 9:59 pm
i really doubt that sirius was in sly. b/c ron said every wizard in sly goes bad not that only sly wizards go bad. i have no idea what the other 2 parts of the book r about. which books were they in, 1 & 4? i find it pretty hard to believe that ONLY sly wizards go bad. & i seriously doubt that's the ONLY reason y ppl believe that sirius is gulity.i mean who eles besides peter & sirius knows magic & was at the scene? no one. & peter was "killed" by magic thus sirius is the reasonable suspect. & the fact that dd didn't know that peter & sirius switched. so that gives reason to suspect him of being a traitor. the only unfair & unreasonable thing is that sirius didn't get a trial let alone a fair one. but there's a reason for that, too. crouch wasn't giving n e one trial. except his son b/c he was his SON!!!

Katze
October 24th, 2002, 10:48 pm
I think Hagrid was exaggerating in the book. I don't take the movie dialogue as canon, so I don't think we can include what Ron says.

Now - I think Hagrid has a grudge since it was V who ultimately got him kicked out of Hogwarts, and it was V who went as bad as a wizard could go. I think there have been wizards who went bad from every house, just like having some good wizards in Slytherin.

As for the Marauder's houses...

I don't remember a statement about which house Peter was in, or Sirius & Lupin for that matter. We know that Lily was in Gryffindor from an interview with Rowling. During this same interview some asked, "What position did James play on the Gryffindor Quidditch team? Was it seeker like Harry, or something different?". Rowling responded with "James was Chaser."

So we know that James and Lily were in Gryffindor. My feeling was that all the marauders were in Gryffindor, because the houses don't seem to mix. But then I started thinking - James was sort of rebellious and would probably try to do something "unusual". What better way than to becomes friends with a Slytherin?

I feel that if they weren't in the same house, then the marauders came from all 4 houses, and here's how I would match them up.
James = Gryffindor
Sirius = Slytherin
Lupin = Ravenclaw
Petigrew = Hufflepuff

Tarawyn
October 24th, 2002, 11:00 pm
There's already a thread on this here (http://www.cosforums.com/a/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1082). Try a search before you start a new topic. This'll probably be merged or closed...

Katze
October 24th, 2002, 11:18 pm
*EDIT* Deleted since the thread were merged (and Katze's wonderful argument is already posted.)

peace. pasalita.

SiriuslyBria
October 24th, 2002, 11:56 pm
Oh, my apologies. :sorry: I visit many a boards so I know about searching before posting. However, when I did do a search this morning, it didn't bring up any results, which is why went ahead and posted it. Again, I do apologize. :sorry:

pasalita
October 25th, 2002, 12:23 am
Thanks for the help Tarawyn! I'll go ahead and merge this thread to the "Was Sirius a Slytherin" thread, since both threads discuss and digress to very similar topics.

SiriuslyBria
October 25th, 2002, 3:32 pm
Originally posted by Katze
I think Hagrid was exaggerating in the book. I don't take the movie dialogue as canon, so I don't think we can include what Ron says.

Now - I think Hagrid has a grudge since it was V who ultimately got him kicked out of Hogwarts, and it was V who went as bad as a wizard could go. I think there have been wizards who went bad from every house, just like having some good wizards in Slytherin.

I do agree that Hagrid has a grudge against Voldemort. I also agree that there were probably wizards who went bad who weren't from Slytherin... I'm just not sure if they went to Hogwarts and all. I mean it's not the only Wizarding school out there. And of course I think that not all Slytherins are bad.

So we know that James and Lily were in Gryffindor. My feeling was that all the marauders were in Gryffindor, because the houses don't seem to mix. But then I started thinking - James was sort of rebellious and would probably try to do something "unusual". What better way than to becomes friends with a Slytherin?

I feel that if they weren't in the same house, then the marauders came from all 4 houses, and here's how I would match them up.
James = Gryffindor
Sirius = Slytherin
Lupin = Ravenclaw
Petigrew = Hufflepuff

We do know James was in Gryffindor. I like the idea of each Marauder being from a different house. That's something I never considered. :)

Thank you for merging my topic, pasalita. :clappy:

cbjedi
October 25th, 2002, 4:32 pm
Some good thoughts Bria however...

Pretty much all of this has been stated already in this thread, but I'll repeat some of it.

1. We know that James was in Gryffindor, if you need proof it's stated right here. (http://www.mugglenet.com/facts.shtml) Mugglenet compiled all of that from JKR's several webchats and interviews. We also know that Sirius and James were best friends at Hogwarts, as Madam Rosmeretta (sp?) said "Quite the double act that James Potter and Sirius Black." It would have been difficult, if not impossible for them to be such a 'double act' had they been in separate houses. Especially if they were in Gryffindor and Slytherin, two house that couldn't have more animosity between them.

2. I don't put a whole lot of stock into what Hagrid says. He seems to me the kind of fellow who sometimes speaks without thinking. Sure his heart is in the right place, but his mouth has a mind of it's own. In PS he told Voldie/Quirrell how to get past Fluffy. Not to mention he flapped his jaws off about Flamel. In GoF he told Harry to stay away from Krum, when Krum couldn't be more harmless. He also I think said something unflattering about foreigners after he and Maxime got into that confrontation. There's probably alot more examples, but that's all that's coming to mind. So it doesn't surprise me in the least that he could make that comment about all dark wizard's or witches coming out of Slytherin and it not be true, or even close to true. I like Hagrid and all, but he's not terribley preceptive, and he always seems to be sticking his foot in his mouth. And let's not forget that Hagrid also was in Gryffindor (for proof of that check the above link), so he's probably carrying a huge grudge against not only Voldy, but all of Slytherin as well.

bunn2007
October 26th, 2002, 12:05 am
James = Gryffindor
Sirius = Slytherin
Lupin = Ravenclaw
Petigrew = Hufflepuff
r'nt huf supposed to be loyal? peter defitnetly ain't loyal & sirius doesn't seem too ambitious.the only ones i agree w/ r remus & james.

Cat
October 26th, 2002, 12:17 am
Heh. Sorry to say it, but the only one I agree with of that list is James. Professor Lupin was a smart guy. But did he seem to respect academic excellence over anything else? He admired Hermione's brain usage and that's all. He broke rules constantly in his schooldays to be with his friends. Hufflepuffs are the open, loyal ones but I'll bet my socks (though I'm wearing none) that it is 'the lions' who are the pack animals.

Katze
October 26th, 2002, 2:47 am
r'nt huf supposed to be loyal? peter defitnetly ain't loyal & sirius doesn't seem too ambitious.the only ones i agree w/ r remus & james.

Pettigrew wasn't brave, smart, or ambitious - so that's why I put him in Hufflepuff. He is loyal - to V. Perhaps in hopes of gaining some superiority, something that always seemed to elude him.

Sirius is willing to do anything (in order to protect Harry) regardless of his consequences - that's why I put him in Slytherin. I believe Sirius to be extremely ambitious.

Heh. Sorry to say it, but the only one I agree with of that list is James. Professor Lupin was a smart guy. But did he seem to respect academic excellence over anything else? He admired Hermione's brain usage and that's all. He broke rules constantly in his schooldays to be with his friends. Hufflepuffs are the open, loyal ones but I'll bet my socks (though I'm wearing none) that it is 'the lions' who are the pack animals.

On the flip side of Lupin, Hermione does respect academic excellence, yet she was put in Gryffindor. All kids from all classes break the rules - Cedric did so during the Tri-wizard tournament to help Harry. Harry constantly breaks the rules. Malfoy breaks the rules as well. I don't know if we have a Ravenclaw yet who breaks that rules, but there will be.

I believe that each person has qualities of all houses, and it isn't always clear why a person was put into a particular house.

My opinion is based on the characteristics of each character as I read the books. If you prefer a different order, I'd love to hear it and why you chose that order.

cbjedi
October 26th, 2002, 3:15 am
Katze:

Pettigrew wasn't brave, smart, or ambitious - so that's why I put him in Hufflepuff. He is loyal - to V. Perhaps in hopes of gaining some superiority, something that always seemed to elude him.

Well Peter isn't brave or loyal (except to voldy) right now, but we don't know what he was like in his school years, or what changed him. I can't see him being such good friends with James if he was always such a snake in the grass.

Sirius is willing to do anything (in order to protect Harry) regardless of his consequences - that's why I put him in Slytherin. I believe Sirius to be extremely ambitious.

Yes, Sirius bravely does whatever it takes to protect his godson, just like Harry bravely does whatever it takes to fight Lord Voldemort. Black's actions aren't motivated out of personal greed, his actions are motivated by something else, personal sacrifice and selflessness. His actions are by their very definition very, very brave. Classic Gryffindor qualities.

Anyway you still haven't explained how the Marauder could have been so inseparable if they were all in different houses.

Katze
October 26th, 2002, 4:34 am
Originally posted by cbjedi
Anyway you still haven't explained how the Marauder could have been so inseparable if they were all in different houses.

Perhaps we should re-araange the question: Do we have proof that they weren't inseparable?

Meaning: Was there any one time when a person would've seen one of the boys alone - with no other marauders around?

Yes - I think so. Moony could be seen going to the whomping willow before any of the other boys showed up. Prongs and Padfoot were often seen in "The Three Broomsticks" without Moony and Wormtail. So I think that they were actually able to be in different places at the same time. ;)

But seriously...
I think it's quite common to see groups of friends made up of kids from all different sides of the tracks. If one is motivated, one will succeed.

This does bring up a question though - how did Peter manage to join up with these boys if he weren't forced to be in the same quarters. I would see them bringing him along if they were forced to (like if they were all roommates) and ditch him if he were in a different house.

So Peter's involvement does support the theory that they were all in the same house. Interesting...

Well - I see that there is support for the opposing side, but I'm going to hold out for some factual clues from the author.

cbjedi
October 26th, 2002, 3:04 pm
Ah yes, it's true that they wouldn't have to be in the same house just to become really good friends. Look at Cho and Cedric. But it just seems more likely to me that they be in the same house in order to become so close. Besides, as I outlined above Sirius displays classic Gryffindor qualities.

I'll concede that there's a good chance that Lupin could have been a Ravenclaw however. It strikes me that out of all the Marauders he's the one we seem to know the least about. He hasn't really shown any real bravery, not like James and Sirius.

Also Peter being in Gryffindor has always confused me. He doesn't really display any Hufflepuff qualities, and he certainly is no Ravenclaw. Which leaves Slytherin and Gryffindor. Slytherin seems to be the obvious choice. But as you pointed out Katze how would he fall in with them if he wasn't in the same house with at least one of them? Since it's highly doubtful that Peter could have been in Ravenclaw, and since I strongly believe that there's no way Sirius could have been a Slytherin, Gryffindor seems to be the logical place that Peter could have met up with the other Marauders. I dunno, perhaps Peter started out with his own sort of bravery, similar to Longbottom but perhaps life somehow turned him cowardly and deceitful.

Anyway I've always believed them to all be in Gryffindor, only because I knew for certain that James was a Gryffindor, and that it seemed logical for four really close friends to all be in the same house. I suppose there could be more to it though...

bunn2007
October 26th, 2002, 5:12 pm
not really. sirius said the reason y peter didn't do n e thing to harry while being scabbers was b/c he didn't have n e one powerful enough to it for. & voldy said that the peter came back to him only cuz there was no where eles to go.
in fact, he mite be able to be in sly or rave. he knew how to out smart everybody by killing the 12 muggles & turning into a rat. he was smart enough to do that but he was also sly enough. n e one think of that?

dantares
October 26th, 2002, 7:36 pm
They are all in Gryffindor. It's very unlikely that they would become such good friends if they were not in the same house. If you noticed, the kids all have something common to them.
Harry = James (they are so alike and they had a certain disregard for rules)
Ron = Sirius (both are very supportive and brave, tall)
Neville = Peter (both are not considered to be brave and both are fat and round)
Hermione = Lily

I think Hargid said that because he hates Slytherin. No doubt Tom is from Slytherin and since Tom is the one who got him expelled, naturally he hates Slytherin. I'm sure that throughout the 1000 years, there would be one or two bad wizards who come from the other 3 houses. If not, JKR would be very baised. I think Peter is one of the few who gone bad in Gryffindor. Maybe 1 in 1000 wizards who gone bad are from the other houses and that's wy Hargid said that all wizards who gone bad are from Slytherin. It's much easier to say it that way.

Tarawyn
October 26th, 2002, 7:47 pm
Something interesting in the idea of the "evil" Slytherins, very intersting, is that the generalization is a form of prejudice. The stupidity of prejudice is made clear hundreds of times throughout the series, Harry 'most always against it, but in the worst prejudice, the one that means more than any other, he's clueless. A paradox. He dislikes something and supports it at the same time. Many of the Slytherins most likely did "go bad", but it's foolish to think that all did, or that there were no others from different houses. Something to keep an eye out for.

I don't think there's much of a question in the variety of the houses. In one house, you have a spectrum of the different personalities and possibilities with only four individuals. They all have one connecting quality--Peter had to have been Sorted into Gryffindor for a reason--but besides that, there's hardly anything that they're alike it. More interesting than spreading these qualities and assigning them to different groups.

JenBluffheid
October 27th, 2002, 7:49 pm
I understand where everyone is coming from about Sirius being a Slytherin. I, however, remain neutral.

If Hagrid was generalising, there is only one other thread of evidence which makes it possible that Sirius was a Slytherin - the laugh.

On the Knight Bus, Stan goes through the procedure of how the Muggles and Pettigrew "died". At the end, he tells Harry that he laughed. That's what I can't make head or tail of. Why did he laugh?

Cat
October 27th, 2002, 8:07 pm

My opinion is based on the characteristics of each character as I read the books. If you prefer a different order, I'd love to hear it and why you chose that order.

Gryffindor, Gryffindor, Gryffindor and Gryffindor. Yes, Hermione values intelligence but also breaks rules for friends. And thus she is a Gryffindor.

JenBluffheid, people laugh hysterically in dreadful situations sometimes. It's hard to explain but it happens a lot. I should know, it happened when I was kicked in the face. I laughed my head of at all the blood. To be in Sirius' situation it would be so emotional, so unbelievable, so hectic and so desparate that the brain could momentarily let of steam in the form of uncontrollable laughter.

JenBluffheid
October 27th, 2002, 8:15 pm
Originally posted by Cat
JenBluffheid, people laugh hysterically in dreadful situations sometimes. It's hard to explain but it happens a lot. I should know, it happened when I was kicked in the face. I laughed my head of at all the blood. To be in Sirius' situation it would be so emotional, so unbelievable, so hectic and so desparate that the brain could momentarily let of steam in the form of uncontrollable laughter.

Ouch! Hmm, I don't think I've did that before. But yeah, all those emotions would cause him to laugh, I guess. But what if it was a "Mwahahahaha" laugh? It could have happened! :smile:

Cat
October 27th, 2002, 8:35 pm
I guess, but people like Stan could have just thought of a 'Mwahahaha!' style laugh for dramatic effect. Sirius could have actually been giggling like a schoolgirl for all they knew.

Puffskein
November 11th, 2002, 7:35 pm
On the 'evil Slytherin' question - the idea of all wizards who went bad being in Slytherin comes from Hagrid or Ron. What the narration (which is what we should trust) tells us is that Slytherin produced more Dark wizards than any other house. Quite a big difference.

I like to think MWPP were Gryffindors BUT...Peter says when explaining himself to Sirius and Lupin that "I was never brave like you". That doesn't sound Gryffindor at all. It's not impossible that Peter was in another house and got into MWPP through having known James or Sirius previously. Then again... Lupin says "My THREE friends noticed I disappeared every month" which tells me they were in the same dorm.
Indeed, Lupin calls himself cowardly when explaining why he didn't tell Dumbledore about Sirius being an animagus. But I think he must have had some Gryffindor spirit to stay sane through his 'wilderness years'.

SiriuslyBria
November 18th, 2002, 11:05 pm
1. We know that James was in Gryffindor, if you need proof it's stated right here. Mugglenet compiled all of that from JKR's several webchats and interviews. We also know that Sirius and James were best friends at Hogwarts, as Madam Rosmeretta (sp?) said "Quite the double act that James Potter and Sirius Black." It would have been difficult, if not impossible for them to be such a 'double act' had they been in separate houses. Especially if they were in Gryffindor and Slytherin, two house that couldn't have more animosity between them.

I have no doubt about James being in Gryffindor. That is cofirmed, as you said. It's the other Marauders I'm not so sure about. ;) Also, has there always been animosity between Gyffindor and Slytherin? Or is that something that just occassionally happens when some strong-willed students who don't like each other are put in opposite houses? I ask only because all the other houses seem to get along fine.

Also... would it be so hard for Sirius and James to goof off together if they were in different houses? Not necessarily. They do have some free time, and more importantly... Gryffindor and Slytherin (at least in Harry's day) seem to have a LOT of classes together.

2. I don't put a whole lot of stock into what Hagrid says. He seems to me the kind of fellow who sometimes speaks without thinking.

I do agree there. Hagrid is a great guy, but pretty impassioned on what he feels. However... we haven't had the Slytherin being evil bit from just Hagrid. Harry believes it, but more importantly, knows it to NOT be true after POA. During the Sorting Ceremony in GOF, he thinks about Slytherin turning out more Dark Wizards than any other house... suddenly not all evil wizards who went to Hogwarts came from that house.

Furthermore, when I think of Sirius, while I can agree Gryffindor would fit him, I think the same of Slytherin. He does posses qualities that Salazar prized. Resourcefulness, determination, disregard for rules, etc. Those do fit Sirius, becoming anamagi and sneaking off to the Shrieking Shack every month.

Frankly, what I think JRK is doing is showing that it's a person's choices that determine who they are. I think that through Sirius (and perhaps another current student...) she will show that good has come out of Slytherin, just as evil came out of a non-Slytherin house.

Jagged
November 19th, 2002, 12:45 am
Everyone seems to pull the "evidence" that Sirius was a SLytherin because he supposedly betrayed James and Lily. Do remember that he didn't - he was a loyal friend all the way. The betrayal was Peter's doing. Therefore, there is no doubt in my mind that Sirius was a Griffindor, as were Moony and Wormtail.

As to why Peter ended up in Griffindor, perhaps the Sorting Hat recognised he might end up being the downfall of James, and subsequently put him in with James, Remus and Sirius in the hope that he might be molded by his environment - a protective measure (obviously didn't work) against his betrayal of the others.

SiriuslyBria
November 19th, 2002, 2:04 am
Originally posted by Jagged
Everyone seems to pull the "evidence" that Sirius was a SLytherin because he supposedly betrayed James and Lily. Do remember that he didn't - he was a loyal friend all the way. The betrayal was Peter's doing. Therefore, there is no doubt in my mind that Sirius was a Griffindor, as were Moony and Wormtail.

Of course I remember Sirius didn't betray James and Lilly. He's Sirius, afterall. He'd never do that. He'd die for his friends before he betrayed them. ;)

However... until the end of PoA it wasn't known that he was innocent. Even now, only a select few know Sirius is innocent and that Peter is alive and was the murderer/betrayer. This really leads me to believe Sirius was in Slytherin and Peter in Gryffindor. Having a dark wizard come from Gryffindor is most likely the reason why Harry thought about Slytherin turning out *more* dark wizards in GOF.

I believe JKR has been doing this all for a purpose. I believe that there is a good chance, before the end of the series, that we will find out that good wizards have come from Slytherin (Sirius and maybe others) and bad wizards (Peter, possibly others) have come from other houses. That really is a person's choices in life that determines who they are, not just their presonality traits.

MajkMan
November 19th, 2002, 2:49 am
I was just thinking about this the other day,only I was thinking about Peter Petigrew. I mean, we know he went bad, but why were James, Sirius, and Lupin freinds with him if he was in Slytherin and they were in Gryffindor? If he was in Gryffindor instead of Slytherin then he would be the exeption to the rule.

I think Peter Pettigrew isn't really "bad" persay, he just wants to be with a powerful friend.

SiriuslyBria
November 19th, 2002, 3:41 am
Originally posted by MajkMan
I think Peter Pettigrew isn't really "bad" persay, he just wants to be with a powerful friend.

Peter is weak. Totally selfish and self-absorbed. What was he doing with the Weasley's for all those years? Hiding. He didn't want to return to Voldemort until he knew the guy was strong again. Since his days at Hogwarts, Peter liked big friends who could look after him. His own skin was worth more to him than Harry's whole family or a street full of Muggles. In my mind, that makes him bad. :devil:

Caenne
November 19th, 2002, 6:08 am
Originally posted by Jennie
If the statement that "every witch or wizard that ever went bad came from Slytherin" is true, does that mean that Sirius was a Slytherin? :sad:

No, because the quote does not say 'every witch or wizard who went into Slytherin went bad,' it says the ones who did go bad all happened to have been in Slytherin. All squares/evil wizards are rectangles/Slytherins, but not all rectangles/Slytherins are squares/evil wizards.

The Marauders almost all had to have been in Gryffindor, because otherwise they would not have come into contact with each other often enough to plan out their monthly adventures, etc.

cbjedi
November 19th, 2002, 6:55 pm
SiriuslyBria:

Also, has there always been animosity between Gyffindor and Slytherin?

No way of knowing, but I assume the answer to be yes. After the ugly way that Salazar Slytherin and Godric Gryffindor parted I get the feeling there's been nothing but bad blood between the Slytherins and the Gryffindors. That's just my gut feeling though.

Frankly, what I think JRK is doing is showing that it's a person's choices that determine who they are.

I agree, but I don't think this theme will be developed by having Black in Slytherin house. It was developed by having Crouch Jr. turn evil despite the fact that he came from a pure blood familly. And it's shown strongest through Snape. Snape is someone who when growing up came from a social circle that included many wizards and witches that turned evil, was in a house that turned out a ton of dark wizards and witches, and who may have even been raised by parents who were into dark magic. But he choose to turn sides and do the right thing, despite being around and possibly even being raised around Dark Magic. And to this day he continues to do the right thing by saving Harry's skin from time to time, sometimes even at great risk to himself.

Katze
November 21st, 2002, 10:18 pm
I have more information to back-up my claim that Sirius was in Slytherin.

I found an article that describes how a basilisl is created...there are actually quite a few HP references in this but, I'll concentrate on the Sirius connection in this thread (mabye I'll make a new thread discussing the Basilisk?)

Anyway...here's what this (http://www.pantheon.org/articles/b/basilisk.html) article says:
The mythical king of the serpents. The basilisk, or cockatrice, is a creature that is born from a spherical, yolkless egg, laid during the days of Sirius (the Dog Star) by a seven-year-old rooster and hatched by a toad.

Connection between Sirius and the Basilisk? Maybe!

Airin
November 25th, 2002, 9:20 pm
OK, I've never done this before, and I am new to this forum, so if this has already been discussed, I apologize, but I couldn't find it anywhere...

In the first book, Hagrid tells Harry "There's not a single witch or wizard who went bad who wasn't in Slytherin."

My question is this: In which houses were Sirius Black and Peter Pettigrew placed? I always assumed Gryffindor, since they were such good friends with James, but if that's true, then this means ANYBODY could turn evil....I know Sirius was always a good wizard, but most people in the wizarding world don't know this and believe him to have been one of Voldemort's right-hand-men, meaning they knew of a wizard who wasn't in Slytherin who ended up going bad. Also, if Peter was in Gryffindor, he ended up turning evil, so does that mean NO ONE is safe??? If you can help me out with this, let me know. I could be COMPLETELY off, but hey, I guess that's half the fun, right?

I heart Sirius
November 25th, 2002, 9:24 pm
First of all, Welcome!
Second of all I believe this is in the wrong place.
And third of all, in answers to your questions:
Well not all that are in Slytherin are bad and not all that aren't in Slytherin good i.e. Peter Pettigrew. Sirius and Remus are in Gyffindor. Which house you're in has nothing to do w/ how one turns out.

Kneazle
November 25th, 2002, 10:03 pm
Thanks, IhSirius. :)

Welcome Airin, and thank you for looking for the topic before starting the thread. I believe this has been discussed in a few other threads. I'll move it to the Great Hall. Always pay attention to the forum descriptions and post your threads accordingly. Thanks.

SiriuslyBria
November 25th, 2002, 10:19 pm
I did the same thing with the first thread I created. Though I had done a search it just strangely didn't show there was already a topic. But mine was merged with the existing one. You can find that here (http://www.cosforums.com/a/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1082). :)

Kneazle
November 25th, 2002, 10:28 pm
Thanks, SiriuslyBria. Well spotted. :)

*merged*

SiriuslyBria
November 25th, 2002, 10:45 pm
SiriuslyBria:

Also, has there always been animosity between Gyffindor and Slytherin?

No way of knowing, but I assume the answer to be yes. After the ugly way that Salazar Slytherin and Godric Gryffindor parted I get the feeling there's been nothing but bad blood between the Slytherins and the Gryffindors. That's just my gut feeling though.

Frankly, what I think JRK is doing is showing that it's a person's choices that determine who they are.

I agree, but I don't think this theme will be developed by having Black in Slytherin house. It was developed by having Crouch Jr. turn evil despite the fact that he came from a pure blood familly. And it's shown strongest through Snape. Snape is someone who when growing up came from a social circle that included many wizards and witches that turned evil, was in a house that turned out a ton of dark wizards and witches, and who may have even been raised by parents who were into dark magic. But he choose to turn sides and do the right thing, despite being around and possibly even being raised around Dark Magic. And to this day he continues to do the right thing by saving Harry's skin from time to time, sometimes even at great risk to himself.

I do agree that there probably was animosity between Slytherin and the other houses, but again we don't know that. We can only assume at this point, as we have only seen Harry's time and heard a bit about when James & company and Snape were in school together.

Very good points on Crouch and Snape. I still like my ideas, but at this point it's all speculation and your thoughts make perfect sense too.

I have more information to back-up my claim that Sirius was in Slytherin.

Anyway...here's what this (http://www.pantheon.org/articles/b/basilisk.html) article says:
The mythical king of the serpents. The basilisk, or cockatrice, is a creature that is born from a spherical, yolkless egg, laid during the days of Sirius (the Dog Star) by a seven-year-old rooster and hatched by a toad.

Connection between Sirius and the Basilisk? Maybe!

:wow: Wow. That is... freaky. Knowing how JKR puts hints in her books through names, I wouldn't be at all surprised if this comes up in the books. ;) It doesn't prove Sirius was in Slytherin, but it is very intriguing, none the less.

Originally posted by Airin
OK, I've never done this before, and I am new to this forum, so if this has already been discussed, I apologize, but I couldn't find it anywhere...

Welcome, Airin. :welcome: Don't worry about the topic. I know first hand how easy it is to do, as this topic was the first thread I created, only to learn it had been done. Oops.

*ANGELINA*
November 26th, 2002, 2:56 am
Sirius was definitely in Gryffindor. He never went bad, just really misunderstood. He was James' best man @ his marriage, they were obviously close. Sirius hadn't want to be the Potter's Secret Keeper, he knew if he was he could be forced to give it away and they would be killed. Sirius really loves Harry and is concerned of his health. When Harry & Co. had found out the truth, Sirius was more than willing to take on his responsibilities as a Godparent. Pettigrew could have been in any House, all I know is he is a low and cowardly person. :angry:

SiriuslyBria
November 26th, 2002, 4:19 am
Welcome, *ANGELINA*. :welcome: No need to shout (typing in all caps), we can read you just fine. ;)

We know Sirius is innocent of what he was charged of. The question is why then was it said that all bad wizards came from Slytherin if he was in Gryffindor, because at that time it was believed (and really still is at this point) guilty. Sirius coming from a non-Slytherin house would mean that even then the statement wasn't true because was he thought to be Voldie's right hand man.

*ANGELINA*
November 27th, 2002, 3:28 am
Originally posted by SiriuslyBria
Welcome, *ANGELINA*. :welcome: No need to shout (typing in all caps), we can read you just fine. ;)

We know Sirius is innocent of what he was charged of. The question is why then was it said that all bad wizards came from Slytherin if he was in Gryffindor, because at that time it was believed (and really still is at this point) guilty. Sirius coming from a non-Slytherin house would mean that even then the statement wasn't true because was he thought to be Voldie's right hand man.

Sorry!:( I have abad habit of randomly shouting at poeple even though I don't mean it.:smile: Oh, I wasn't thinking of that qeustion when I wrote that(I should of been:grumble: ). Anyway...moving on. I think what you said, that the statement isn't true; is correct. It's just one of those...things. :wow: I thought of the word, it's a stereotype. My friend who is gothicish is a victom stereotism, and it's a sad thing we all do:(.

periwinkle-blue
December 1st, 2002, 3:04 pm
Perhaps we should re-araange the question: Do we have proof that they weren't inseparable?

Meaning: Was there any one time when a person would've seen one of the boys alone - with no other marauders around?

Yes - I think so. Moony could be seen going to the whomping willow before any of the other boys showed up. Prongs and Padfoot were often seen in "The Three Broomsticks" without Moony and Wormtail. So I think that they were actually able to be in different places at the same time. ;)

But seriously...
I think it's quite common to see groups of friends made up of kids from all different sides of the tracks. If one is motivated, one will succeed.

This does bring up a question though - how did Peter manage to join up with these boys if he weren't forced to be in the same quarters. I would see them bringing him along if they were forced to (like if they were all roommates) and ditch him if he were in a different house.

periwinkle-blueSorry I just had the hang of this forum, and only found out about this thread. I've posted below in the thread Lupin and Pettigrew - Out of Character? just want to add my 2 cents worth in the right place.. these are my thoughts on why James and Sirius are in Gryffindor, Remus in Ravenclaw, and Petter in Slytherin..

Madam Rosmerta of Three Broomsticks points out that wherever James were, there's be Sirius.

"Naturally," said Madam Rosmerta, with a small laugh. "Never saw one without the other, did you? The number of times I had them in here - ooh, they used to make me laugh. Quite the double act, Sirius Black and James Potter!"
"You'd have thought Black and Potter were brothers!" chimed in Professor Flitwick. "Inseparable!"

**[Ch:The Marauder's Map. 3rd Book]

It's a safe bet to say Sirius and James were in the same house, Gryffindor according to the conversations above (if you'd check the whole conversation) However, it remotely indicates that Remus and Petter as inseparable to both James and Sirius.

By the way, it was an error on my previous post saying that I'm under the impression that Petter was in Hufflepuff. I get confused sometimes. What I originally imagined was, Petter was in Slytherin, but as he was always bullied and intimidated by Snape, both James and Sirius took him under their wing, just for the sake of taunting Snape. Why I originally put Petter in Slytherin? Well, he's really ambitious, in a sneaky kind of way. He knew he's not strong, so he seek the strong to manipulate and achieve his goal, pretending his all weak so and so.

I've originally taken to the idea Remus in Ravenclaw because I've always thought he's the calculating kind of guy. He did seems the wise, thinking person in the group, whereas Sirius and James the prankster ringleaders. Because of what he's been through; being bitten by a werewolves as a child, I bet he's the quiet boy in 1st year, trying hard not to reveal his secret, making him unapproachable by his house mates. Yet because James and Sirius were both from other house, he was more open, he felt a lilttle bit laidback as they won't constantly with him, which if they do, might lead them to notice immediately his monthly abscence.

that.. were my impression of remus, and petter.. before I've read this thread..

Katze
December 5th, 2002, 10:18 pm
Originally posted by SiriuslyBria
We know Sirius is innocent of what he was charged of. The question is why then was it said that all bad wizards came from Slytherin if he was in Gryffindor, because at that time it was believed (and really still is at this point) guilty. Sirius coming from a non-Slytherin house would mean that even then the statement wasn't true because was he thought to be Voldie's right hand man. The only possible way for Hagrid's Slytherin statement to be true is for Peter to have been in Slytherin (which I find very hard to accept), AND Hagrid to have known that Peter committed the crime. But Hagrid didn't know, otherwise he could have testified on Sirius' behalf.

I think that we can take the statement with a grain of salt. It came from Hagrid after-all. I'm not sure how detailed oriented he is, and he has a grudge against Slytherin anyway because to Tom Riddle.

venus1818
December 6th, 2002, 3:30 pm
I think Hagrid was probably exagerating when he said that. But being true, what he meant was "Every black wizzard was a Slytherin" and not "Every Slytherin will be a black wizzard" (can you imagine Crabbe and Goyle as black wizzards?). Remember, Sirius is not a black wizzard, he is just believed to be one.
However, I don't think he was a Slytherin. I believe that eveybody in the group James/Sirius/Lupin/Pettigrew was a Gryffindor. Why? Lupin turned into a werewolf once in a while. How would their friends realize that, unless they slept in the same dormitory? We know that James was a Gryffindor (JKR said it herself), so the others would be one too. But I can be wrong.

well, why would peter be put in gryffindor? ive yet to hear of one brave trait about him..

That's true, you have a point. But maybe we'll know of some brave trait about him. JKR is always surprising us.

http://pages.prodigy.net/hpdevo/quiz/ginny.jpg

http://www.jamiefrost.co.uk/whoareyou/topbanner/cat.gifhttp://www.jamiefrost.co.uk/whoareyou/topbanner/po.gif
http://www.jamiefrost.co.uk/whoareyou/hp/cobanner.gif
http://www.jamiefrost.co.uk/whoareyou/hp/hubanner.gif

Re'em_Herder
December 9th, 2002, 8:12 am
I think that they were all in Gryffindor, but Peter went bad because he was never a leader, always a follower, and he just happened to follow the wrong side. And fudge was probably in Hufflepuff.

DragonslayerX
December 9th, 2002, 9:50 am
well, why would peter be put in gryffindor? ive yet to hear of one brave trait about him..

Re'em_Herder
December 10th, 2002, 12:57 am
They all must have been in Gryffindor to realise that Lupin is a werewolf, because Snape never knew until he saw Lupin as a werewolf. This is why Snape hates Gryffindor so much, because all of the Marauders were in Gryffindor.

venus1818
December 10th, 2002, 11:55 am
This doesn't have a direct relation to the topic, but anyway...
Ok, supposing that the Marauders were all Gryffindors (as a believe they were, see my thread above), that obviously means that they slept in the same dormitory. We know that there are 5 boys in each dormitory (supposedly; for details go to http://www.i2k.com/~svderark/lexicon/atlas-h-dorm.html and http://www.i2k.com/~svderark/lexicon/hogwarts_students.htm). OK, supposing that there would be another student in the dormitory with James, Sirius, Lupin and Pettigrew. Who can that be? Is he important for the story? My guess is that he is.
This is just a suggestion, it might be a completely stupid idea. Maybe there were only four boys in the dormitory that year.
Anyway...

http://www.jamiefrost.co.uk/whoareyou/topbanner/cat.gifhttp://www.jamiefrost.co.uk/whoareyou/topbanner/po.gif
http://www.jamiefrost.co.uk/whoareyou/hp/cobanner.gif
http://www.jamiefrost.co.uk/whoareyou/hp/hubanner.gif
www.jamiefrost.co.uk/whoareyou

http://pages.prodigy.net/hpdevo/quiz/ginny.jpg
http://pages.prodigy.net/hpdevo/quiz

DragonslayerX
December 10th, 2002, 6:18 pm
i really don't believe he is important...i mean, why would he be? and if he was, then why wouldn't he have been mentioned at all?

SiriuslyBria
December 10th, 2002, 8:44 pm
I'm not sure what to think. It seems there are as of yet un-named Gryffindor girls in Harry's year, so I don't see an un-named Gyffindor from years ago being that odd. But if there was one... I wouldn't be surprised if JKR has plans for him.

Justin Etre
March 4th, 2003, 3:12 pm
All four were in Gryffindor weren't they? Otherwise such a close friendship would not have been possible because they would have slept in different dorms and eaten on seperate table and had seperate lessons (probably)
Although Wormtails sorting doesn't seem very smart. Maybe he asked to go there because he wanted by with James and the others. maybe he was in with Voldemort from the start, and that was his mission?

Isaiah
March 5th, 2003, 4:03 am
Originally posted by owl post 1992 (original post (http://www.cosforums.com/a/showthread.php?postid=28056#post28056))
yep Jame was on the trophy it said chaser but he was a seeker and if only students from one house went bad then wouldn't Voldemort have a hard time wining a war against Dumbledore good side which has more people in it :??:

James Potter was not a seeker, he was a chaser.

dorcasderr
March 5th, 2003, 4:47 am
A lot of good arguments on ALL sides in this thread. I believe it is POSSIBLE that the Marauders were in different houses but I'm not sure it is likely. Perhaps during James' time at Hogwarts the House rivalry between Slytherin and Gryffindor was not so bitter. And IF they had as many classes together as they do in Harry's day then there was ample time to develop friendships. Because the class groupings have (in our experience) been limited to two houses to a class, I wonder, though, if the Marauders were in more than two different houses.

Quasi_EviL
March 19th, 2003, 1:24 am
Originally posted by Justin Etre (original post (http://www.cosforums.com/a/showthread.php?postid=199801#post199801))
All four were in Gryffindor weren't they? Otherwise such a close friendship would not have been possible because they would have slept in different dorms and eaten on seperate table and had seperate lessons (probably)

I agree with that, especially seeing as so far in the series, JK hasn't shown many close friendships between houses. I don't think it would be as possible for the Marauders to know each other as thoroughly as they did if they were all in different houses.

As to Peter being in Gryffindor, he was obviously smart enough to pass beneath the radar of suspicion when it came to figuring out who was passing information to Voldemort. Voldemort must have seen some bravery in him at one point or another to trust him the way he did.

miri
March 19th, 2003, 2:15 am
Re: unidentified Marauder room-mate - how about Mr Longbottom?
I dont think he was a Marauder or we WOULD know, but I think they could have been friends.
I am equally happy with a *dorm of 4* idea - maybe DD saw that Sirius and James would coax Remus out of his shell, and that the 3 of them would help and support Peter? We don't know how dorms are assigned.

I think all the Marauders were in Gryffindor (she states after treating the idea of them sharing a dorm as fact).

I think that they thought Sirius had gone mad - the laughing. Insanity and evilness are different.

smartypants
March 19th, 2003, 9:05 am
And remember that the hat looks for things that the founders liked.
Wormtail is obviously a coward, and therefore a bad fit for Gryffindor. But he is also not bright, loyal and trustworthy or even ambitious. :) So he really doesn't have ANY of the things that the founders looked for. So maybe he then is a bit more brave than he is loyal, and ended up in Gryffindor because of that.

And with people like that, how can you say that the Hat put them in the right house. There IS no right house. :)

Leda
March 19th, 2003, 11:46 am
That's a good question, why was Peter placed in Gryffindor? I think that maybe we WILL see some bravery in him in the future. Remember what Dumbledore said to Harry after he saved Peter's life? Peter would be in his debt. I just don't think the sorting hat puts people in the wrong house.

Puffskein
May 6th, 2003, 9:37 pm
I feel like bumping this up because I've got a few more thoughts on it:

1) Sirius
Until POA, as far as anyone knew, Sirius was a very notorious dark wizard. So it seems a bit unlikely for even Hagrid to say that bad wizards are generally Slytherins if Sirius was not a Slytherin. The other possibilities are that Hagrid just has a bias against Slytherin (very likely after what happened with Tom Riddle) or simply that it was too much of a mouthful to say "all wizards who went bad were in Slytherin except Sirius Black".

2) Peter
It's a bit hard to see Peter as a Gryffindor since he says himself "I was never brave". Maybe he has some hidden bravery in a very obscure place, or he was in another house and knew one of the Marauders before Hogwarts, or he begged the hat to put him in Gryffindor.

3) Remus
Remus admits to being cowardly when he failed to tell Dumbledore that Sirius was an Animagus. But bravery comes in many forms, and I think he has been brave in fighting the beast that society thinks he is. He could just give up all attempts to prove his humanity since it won't work on most people, but he doesn't. I think he was a rather bookish child, superficially a Ravenclaw type, but so's Hermione and she is a Gryffindor because she values bravery over books and cleverness.

4) The Mystery Fifth Room-mate
We may never find out if there was another Gryffindor boy in the Marauders' dorm, but if there was, he would have been a bit puzzled when first one room-mate disappears every month, then four of them do...

Weatherby
May 7th, 2003, 4:47 am
I think you can go bad despite what house your in.
The house traits look for the best in people but it doesn't mean the other characteristics aren't there.
I think the only reason Slytherin gets the bad reputation is because ambitious people aim higher therefore might get into more trouble.

Sirius must have been a Gryffindor unless they changed the rule about eating with your house.
James and Sirius would've had a harder time being inseperable otherwise. Of course it's not impossible. Percy managed to see his girlfriend..

As for Lupin - defeintly a Gryffindor.
The only thing I'm curious about is bravery being Peter's strongest point. He's a real coward.

gingerskat
July 14th, 2003, 5:33 pm
In the book it's mentiond several times that Remus, Sirius and James was in Gryffindor...but theres something that i don't understand

PETER PETTIGREW!!!
Was he in Gryffindor...?

He must've been 'cos he was "friends" with Remus, Sirius and James, and i don't think that they would hang out with a Slytherin.

The only problem is that Peter dosen't have any of the socalled Gryffindor/Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff qualities. His neither brave(Sirius says that he's always been a coward), he's not smart nor loyal to his friends, but i don't understandwhy the Sorting-hat would put Peter in Gryffindor...!

Please help me understand...!

pavonia black
July 14th, 2003, 11:13 pm
James Potter was the seeker for Giffindor (sp). Also Peter's badness is not common knowelege. I would put them all in the same house b/c then they could have said 'hey, his bed is empty again'. I don't think they really made a head count or anything to see where all the death eaters came from, it sounds more like round-the-table-talk.

Amadeus
July 16th, 2003, 11:07 pm
well, the part that he didn't go bad like everyone else means his dark wizard family... He wouldn't have been friends with the other Marauders at all if he was in Slytherin..

Elbereth
July 16th, 2003, 11:23 pm
I think that all four of the marauders were in Gryffindor. I believe that the statement that "all bad wizards are from Slytherin" is an exaggeration. It's fairly obvious that James was a Gryffindor, and no doubt his best friends also would have been. I always assumed that people from other houses could go bad too. The reason Slytherins get called evil is because they are the power-hungry, crafty, mud-blood-hating house, and these traits cause them to side with Voldemort. I think calling all Slytherins evil and the other houses good is entirely too black and white. For one thing, I do not believe Snape is an evil character, and he went to Slytherin. He's certainly not a nice character, and there was a time when he sided with Voldemort, but he has made it up and done very good things for Dumbledor.

M a r v o l o
July 16th, 2003, 11:58 pm
But, Sirius didn't ACTUALY go bad. He was only accused of "going bad."

marspeach
July 17th, 2003, 12:09 am
I think they were all in Gryffindor. I can think of Wormtail in Hufflepuff(leftover) or Lupin in Ravenclaw, but that's it. But didn't Sirius tell Harry that Lupin was made prefect and not James? Did he mean out of the Marauders or out of their house? Oh well. It's easier for me if they're all in Gryffindor.

donkey_luv
July 17th, 2003, 1:08 am
Sirius wasn't a slytherin there is no evidence that he was!

vickygirl4
July 17th, 2003, 5:46 am
I had considered this before, but now after book 5 (which I can't discuss here) I'm almost sure that Sirius and the others were in Gryffindor. So Peter probably was an exception to the rule.

Slytherin
July 17th, 2003, 11:55 am
I also think that all the marauders were in gryffindor, though I can't understand why peter was... I don't think that sirius was in slytherin, because of the friendship between him and james... I think it's nearly impossible to have such a close friendship between gryffindor and slytherin...

marspeach
July 17th, 2003, 12:19 pm
I don't think Sirius's personality is like a Slytherin's. I think the saying that all dark wizards are from Slytherin was an exaggeration. There must be dark wizards who went to other schools. Karkaroff was a Death Eater and he probably went to Durmstrang. Also, Harry said in other books about Slytherin turning out more dark wizards than any other house. So, not all the dark wizards came from there, just most.

dishking23
July 29th, 2003, 5:42 pm
Can anyone tell me in which book (and approximately where) it states that James was in Gryffindor House. I have it stated that he was a best boy and that both he and Lily were in Gryffindor house, but I can't recall every actually reading that.

M a r v o l o
July 29th, 2003, 5:59 pm
Hm, not sure... But it says he was a seeker for Gryffindor House somewhere. So, obviously... He was in Gryffindor...

Alorra Spinnet
July 29th, 2003, 6:15 pm
it doesn't actually state his house anywhere in the books. JK confirmed in chats that James, Lily, & Hagrid were in Gryffindor.

dishking23
July 30th, 2003, 10:18 am
What prompted the question was that I don't recall it mentioning Siris' house either but, given the family tree explanined in book 5 I would think Slytherin. And I was wondering, given the current relationship between those two houses, how a Slytherin and a Gryffindor would have been best freinds.

Cat
July 30th, 2003, 10:56 am
What prompted the question was that I don't recall it mentioning Siris' house either but, given the family tree explanined in book 5 I would think Slytherin. And I was wondering, given the current relationship between those two houses, how a Slytherin and a Gryffindor would have been best freinds.

You're not made to go to one house just because your family members were in that house. It doesn't work that way.

Incidentally, don't spoil.

dishking23
July 30th, 2003, 11:07 am
I don't see how you could possibly interpret what I said "given the family tree expalined in the book" as a SPOILER. It gives away nothing. If anyting it is a TEASER.

I realize that you don't have to go to a house because your family did. I was just wondering what house Siris was in - if we're ever told - because S seems to "natural" place for him to have been put.

Cat
July 30th, 2003, 12:27 pm
No it doesn't! He's as brash and reckless as any good Gryffindor!

And, yes, that was a spoiler. You gave away the fact that
Sirius has a family consisting of Slytherinesque characters.

dishking23
July 30th, 2003, 12:38 pm
I could not possible disagree with you more. I gave away nothing. That was not a spoiler. The only fact it gave away was that somewhere in the book his family tree is revealed and it they a not nice people. I think, perhaps, you should review the definition of spoiler.

Alorra Spinnet
July 30th, 2003, 7:01 pm
I think that given that your house is displayed on your school robes, that during the Snape's memory scene,if any of the "Marauder's" had been in another house, that Harry would have noticed and wondered about it.

shanobyl
August 1st, 2003, 1:15 pm
all four of the maurauders were in griffindor.

vickygirl4
August 3rd, 2003, 4:37 am
I think that if all fours were in Gryffindor, JKR would have specifically stated that all of the marauders were in Gryffindor. But since she didn't, I think it is safe to assume that they weren't. Or maybe some of them were and others were in different houses. I think that it is very probable that Sirius was a Slytherin. He could have been an exception to the rule that all Slytherins were bad. And even though he was a Slytherin, the other marauders overlooked this fact and still befriended him because he was a good person.

Moonbeam
August 3rd, 2003, 8:54 am
I believe that James, Sirius and Peter were all in Gryffindor and Remus was in Ravenclaw.

vickygirl4
August 3rd, 2003, 9:17 am
Hm, not sure... But it says he was a seeker for Gryffindor House somewhere. So, obviously... He was in Gryffindor...

Actually, no where in the books does it say that James was in Gryffindor or that he was a seeker. In the movie, James is a seeker, but I think JKR once said in aninterview that he was a chaser.

The books never mention the houses of the marauders.

Saint Smythe
August 6th, 2003, 12:36 pm
Well, I didn't see this thread, so I went and created a new one. This is what I said:

We know James Potter was a Gryffindor. But is it ever mentioned what houses Lupin, Sirius, and Peter belonged to?

Judging by Sirius' family, he likely would have been in Slytherin. The timid Peter strikes me as a Hufflepuff, and the intelligent Lupin would, of course, have been a Ravenclaw.

Also, remember the Sorting Hat urging the Hogwarts students to overcome the split between the houses and work together?

If Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs were one representative from each house, perhaps that's a nod to something that will need to happen in the future. A banding together of the best wizards from each house.

Harry would of course represent Gryffindor, but who would be from Hufflepuff, Slytherin, and Ravenclaw?

My guess for Slytherin would be none other than Draco Malfoy.

What, though, would cause Draco to team up with his worst enemy? Well...

We know that Voldemort has no tolerance for those who fail him, and that Draco's father is one of Voldemort's Death Eaters. Perhaps, if Voldemort grew angry with Lucius Malfoy and killed him...

Anyway, that's one of my predictions for the future.

MY_SIRIUS
August 6th, 2003, 2:03 pm
they never said that everyone who went bad was slythren, but most of them. it's so unnatural to to think so , not realastic, see cho's friend for example, every one in every place can go bad. wormtail, being a griffindor for one

MY_SIRIUS
August 6th, 2003, 2:05 pm
c'mon now! how whould they notice hupin's odd absence if they were in different houses! I'm just dead sure they were all in Gryffindor

sindatur
August 6th, 2003, 2:16 pm
James, Sirius, and Lupin all had to be from the same house, because Dumbledore made Lupin a Prefect so he could keep James and SIrius in line (not sure if Lupin was supposed to keep Peter in line, so possible he was from another house). Prefects do not have control over those in other houses, so if they weren't all in the same house, Dumbldore couldn't have made Lupin a Prefect in order to keep the others in line

Saint Smythe
August 6th, 2003, 2:24 pm
Well, prefects can discipline any house member... just like in OotP.

sindatur
August 6th, 2003, 2:26 pm
Yes, if they see something on the train, or in the hallways, they can do something about it, but, to keep the Marauders in line, I think that would be impossible/impractical, if you weren't right there in the house with them.

oliverluver5260
August 6th, 2003, 2:26 pm
[COLOR=red]I doubt sirius was in slytherin, b/c then wouldnt the other three mauraders hate him for being in slytherin, instead of being his best friends? we'd prolly be reading about how james hung sirius upside down instead of snape.. :lol: wat do u think?

Diagon Allie
August 6th, 2003, 3:07 pm
I believe all the Marauders were in Gryffindor, and here are my reasons:

James, it has been firmly established, was a Gryffindor.

Lupin was made prefect, and Sirius implied that it was instead of James, meaning they had ti be in the same house. In addition, for those who have said he's never really displayed bravery, what do you call living with turning into a werewolf once a month, without living in complete isolation from the rest of the world? Also, in PoA, he came into the Shrieking Shack to rescue R, H, & H fully believing that Sirius had committed those murders.

Sirius didn't value purity of blood, and the fact that he and James were so close makes it very difficult to believe they were in different houses. And the way he talks about Lupin becoming a prefect just gave such a strong impression that he had knowledge about this, which he probably wouldn't have if he was in another house. Also, when Hagrid made his comment, he did think that Sirius had committed those murders, but I'm pretty sure he didn't know anything about Sirius being Lily and James' secret keeper, and his "betrayal" of them. It seemed he first found out about this in PoA. He was more likely to exaggerate, which I believe he did, if he didn't know that the man that supposedly betrayed Harry's parents had been in Gryffindor.

Peter, it seems, must have been in Gryffindor because I always felt like the other three just kind of tolerated having him around. They didn't seemed to mind him, but it just seems VERY improbable that they would have seeked him out to be their friend if he'd been in a different house from them. We have yet to see many Gryffindor qualities from Peter, but I believe we still may, based on his debt to Harry.

Ollivander
August 6th, 2003, 4:33 pm
Hagrid just said that to Harry so he got it in his mind that Slytherin was a crummy House. And Sirius was in the same house as James.. there is no way they could have been such good friends if they werent in the same house, they wouldnt see each other that much.

mr.berts'n'botts
August 7th, 2003, 12:56 pm
i think all 4 of them were in gryfinndor bcuz how else could they become such great friends?

Oo bUMbLE bEE oO
August 7th, 2003, 1:36 pm
I believe they were all in Gryffindor. People might doubt Pettigrew to be "courageous" but he is, just not in the terms people usually wanna see. Pettigrew did cut off his arm to obey Voldemort and he was brave enough to stay loyal to him. It's mixed in with his fear but i think it still counts! =) I mean he rather cut off his arm than die??? I think that's a harder route to take.

Fortescue
August 7th, 2003, 5:30 pm
Well, being in Gryffindor doesn't mean you have absolutely no fear. Take Neville for instance. He grew into bravery as he grew older; maybe Pettigrew was the opposite? I'm pretty sure they were all Gryffindors, seeing as they were best friends and everything. Pettigrew wanted the 'biggest bully on the playground' to be his friend, so he went to Voldemort. It wasn't because he was power hungry or anything; he just wanted to be on what he thought would be the winning side. And we don't know; maybe it will be the winning side. *shudders* I'm guessing they were all Gryffindors because Madam Rosemerta said Pettigrew was always tagging along after James and Sirius. Also, Pettirgrew must have some 'daring nerve' if he actually betrayed his friends; also, he did blow up an entire street, killing 12 muggles...

ivory
August 7th, 2003, 5:44 pm
I agree.

I think they were all in Gryffindor. After all, it takes some bravery to be able to do all those pranks, and fool around right under the teacher's noses. ;)

But anyway, they had to be pretty close to eachother most of the time, because, like some others mentioned, James, Sirius and Peter eventually did find out that Lupin was a werewolf. Also, if they were in different houses, I don't think they would be that "close", because I mean like, Harry and Michael Corner from Ravenclaw barely know eachother. And Hermione and Hannah Abbott from Hufflepuff aren't actually great friends.

GryffindorKeeper
August 8th, 2003, 10:21 pm
If the statement that "every witch or wizard that ever went bad came from Slytherin" is true, does that mean that Sirius was a Slytherin?

I think Hagrid was just exaggerating. I do think that Slytherin's bad reputation for turning out dark wizards is justified but just being in Slytherin doesn't necessarily mean you will turn out evil.

I assume that Sirius was in Gryffindor but I guess we won't know for sure until JK writes that he was. Even if the Marauders weren't Gryffindors, I think all 4 of them had to have been in the same house. It seems like one's closest friends always come from same house and we don't see too much interaction betwen students from different houses.

Robin
August 9th, 2003, 7:40 pm
I don't know if this theory already been stated cause I didn't bother to read all 124 posts.
What if all the marauder were in different houses.
James was in Gryffindor, Sirius was in Slytherin, Lupin in Rawenclaw and Peter in Hufflepuff.

Some might be mad at me now and say that sirius would never be in Slytherin. But think about it. For the first eleven years of his life he was raised by people who thought that Slytherin was the only right choice. And when he came to the school he didn't know some of the ideas that some, not all, slytherins had about half-bloods. He therefore choose slytherin when the sorting hat sorted him.

GryffindorKeeper
August 11th, 2003, 12:46 am
What if all the marauder were in different houses.
James was in Gryffindor, Sirius was in Slytherin, Lupin in Rawenclaw and Peter in Hufflepuff.

It's certainly possible that they were all in different houses but I somehow doubt that Peter was in Hufflepuff. He just doesn't strike me as the loyal type.

A_Reck
August 12th, 2003, 1:15 am
I think that the 'all bad wizards come from Slytherin' thing isnt a rule. I just think that they were trying to get the point across that Slytherin isnt a good house. The idea that only Slytherin is bad is ludacris!

voldies_counsellor
August 12th, 2003, 6:12 pm
Apologies if someone has already said this, but is it possible that all four marauders were in different houses? I was just wondering because I just can't see Wormtail fitting into Gryffindor judging by the descriptions of him at school, he sounded spineless and weak.
I can see Lupin being in Ravenclaw, and some people have mentioned that Sirius could have been in Slytherin because comments were made about "all wizards who went bad" being in Slytherin.
There are inter-house friendships going on in the books so it's not necessarily true that best friends would HAVE to be in the same house, they all take classes together during the year.
Just playingn with thoughts really, I don't have a set opinion about it so I'm going back to read what other people have said lol...

A_Reck
August 13th, 2003, 1:09 am
Just to clear things up about "all bad wizards being from Slytherin" I have been reading book 2, and came upon this:

Page 77, CoS, US edition
"For a few horrible seconds he had feared that the hat was going to put him in Slytherin, the house had turned out more Dark witches and wizards than any other..."

So not all bad wizards are in Slytherin, just most.

silver ink pot
August 13th, 2003, 2:04 am
I haven't had time to read every post on this thread, but I did search the thread for what I'm about to post. Sorry if someone's already thought of this.

I think Sirius Black might have been in Slytherin, but please don't get angry at me for saying so. I'm not implying he isn't heroic - remember, Harry was almost put in Slytherin, himself.

I've know alot of people don't think Rowling will use any anagrams except for Tom Riddle's name, however I politely disagree. This anagram for Sirius Black is one I found on my own and it shocked me, though I have since seen it on a few websites.

Sirius Black = Basilisk Cur :wow:

A "cur" being a dog, of course. This anagram alone isn't the reason I think he might have been in Slytherin. He was pretty nasty to Snape back in the day, and we know he came from a pretty "snakey" home.

However, only J. K. Rowling knows for sure, and she hasn't told us!

A_Reck
August 13th, 2003, 2:43 am
I would think that Sirius was in Slytherin, except it just seems unbelievable that a Slytherin and a Griffindor would be best friends.

cruplover
August 13th, 2003, 10:29 am
I would very much like to know what house(s) the Marauders were in. However, as much as I like my fellow animal lover, Hagrid isn't going to be the author of "Hogwarts, the 20th Century." As I just wrote in another thread, Slytherin can't be all bad, or somehow, the house would have ceased to be an option.

If Wormtail wasn't in Slytherin, this would strengthen my theory, because if a traitor can come from one of the other houses, it would follow that at least one good student could come from Slytherin!

Nymphadora*
August 13th, 2003, 1:44 pm
I think and agree with Kneazle. Indeed Sirius was a Gryffindor. He and James were inseprable. Like brothers. If he was in Slytherin, he and James wouldn't be as close. Remember, they always spent detention together, walked together, and Sirius even lived with James for a short time!! Sirius, as you well know, is not a dark wizard. Everyone thought he was but he wasn't. HE was a good caring soul. Peter Pettigrew who is a dark wizard, but like Hagrid said, "some wizards go bad". You don't have to be in Slytherin to be bad. Hagrid said that because the majority of wizards ended up joining Voldemort's ranks. Peter Pettigrew was a Gryffindor, and look what he chose for his career path!

Arissya_00
August 13th, 2003, 5:18 pm
I haven't had time to read every post on this thread, but I did search the thread for what I'm about to post. Sorry if someone's already thought of this.

I think Sirius Black might have been in Slytherin, but please don't get angry at me for saying so. I'm not implying he isn't heroic - remember, Harry was almost put in Slytherin, himself.

I've know alot of people don't think Rowling will use any anagrams except for Tom Riddle's name, however I politely disagree. This anagram for Sirius Black is one I found on my own and it shocked me, though I have since seen it on a few websites.

Sirius Black = Basilisk Cur :wow:

A "cur" being a dog, of course. This anagram alone isn't the reason I think he might have been in Slytherin. He was pretty nasty to Snape back in the day, and we know he came from a pretty "snakey" home.

However, only J. K. Rowling knows for sure, and she hasn't told us!

Wow. I really like your theory, but here is why I don't think so.
First of all, you just contradicted your own theory by saying he was heroic. That means he is brave. In OotP, Phineas Nigellus said that Slytherins are cunning but would much rather save their own necks than others, which is not very heroic, is it? Sirius was brave and heroic, therefore put in Gryffindor. You also said that Harry was almost put in Slytherin. But Sirius is not Harry. They are two different characters. And we also found out that Harry was a true Gryffindor in Cos, when he pulled out the sword. If he was better in Slytherin, why did he pull out that sword? I think the sorting hat was just teasing or testing him.

Second of all, the anagram. The anagram is very surprising, but to truly understand a character, anagrams are very unreliable. Since the "Tom Riddle" thing, lots of people have been having fun with anagrams, but JK Rowling don't really repeat her tricks. I also think the cur thing is very insulting. Sirius was a very nice guy. To be called a cur is very disgusting and rude, since he was not at all. That is why that anagram is so misleading and not at all dependable.

Third of all, you said he was very nasty to Snape. That is also why he was in Gryffindor. He hated Snape, and Snape was in Slytherin!!! Slytherins and Slytherins don't hate each other. Gryffindors and Slytherins do. The competition and hate is very strong. And do you seriously think that James would befriend a Slytherin?

Fourth of all, we do know he came from a home that was "dark". But in Ootp, we found out that he absolutely hated his home. That is why he ran away when he was sixteen. He hated the fact that his parents were obsessed with the pureblood thing.

Please reconsider whether Sirius was in Slytherin or not. :shrug:

sindatur
August 13th, 2003, 5:31 pm
Yes, I'm sure Slytherin has indeed produced some good Wizards and Witches.

Silver Ink Pot, nice work on that anagram. I don't think any of the Marauders were from any other house though because Lupin was made a Prefect to keep the others in line, and I don't see how he could possibly be expected to do that if they weren't all in Griffyndor (or at least in the same house, if it turns out to be a different house). Do we have confirmation on Lily or James being from Griffyndor, or is that still a guess?

Metabee
August 13th, 2003, 7:51 pm
As Sirius once said, " The wizarding world is not separated by Death Eaters and Good people." Or in thios case, Gryfinndors ( SP?) and Slytherins. Look at Fred and Jason, er, GOD I'VE GOT THOSE FORSAKEN FREDDY VS JASON COMERCIALS STUCK IN MY HEAD, I mean, Fred and Georason are troublemakers, they're Gryff's. It matters DEEP DOWN, that decides your house.

Houler_7S
August 13th, 2003, 7:55 pm
How could wormtail go to griffindor if he was such a coward he could be with sirius and james beacause he wanted powerful friends

Arissya_00
August 13th, 2003, 8:13 pm
As Sirius once said, " The wizarding world is not separated by Death Eaters and Good people." Or in thios case, Gryfinndors ( SP?) and Slytherins. Look at Fred and Jason, er, GOD I'VE GOT THOSE FORSAKEN FREDDY VS JASON COMERCIALS STUCK IN MY HEAD, I mean, Fred and Georason are troublemakers, they're Gryff's. It matters DEEP DOWN, that decides your house.

Well said, Metabee!!! I couldn't have put it better. It really matters down inside, because that is what will make you you for a lifetime. The Sorting House doesn't just put you in the house because you at first was a nasty little brat, it sees deep down inside, and how you're going to act for most of your life. That is exactly why, I believe Sirius was a Gryffindor.

silver ink pot
August 13th, 2003, 8:39 pm
I believe it was confirmed by Rowling herself that Lily was in Gryffindor. Someone on this forum has the entire interview posted, because I was just reading it last night. I'm not sure about James, but I believe he was, too.

In the books, I remember Hermione saying that just because the Weasleys were all in the same house didn't mean that all brothers and sisters were. She uses the two Patil sisters as an example - one is in Gryffindor, but one is in Ravenclaw, as I recall. We know that in PoA, Lupin embraces Sirius "like a brother." Just an interesting parallel, and made me think she wrote all that about siblings being in different houses for a reason. Sorry if someone else has already used the Patil example.

I think it would be strange for young wizards to know each other before age ten, maybe be as close as brothers, and then be separated into different houses. :rolleyes:

rons-lover
August 13th, 2003, 9:09 pm
Yeah, I don't think Sirius was a Slytherin.

But I think it is possible they were in different houses. Lupin was best friends with them and so that's why he was made the prefect, as the most level-headed of the group. But it also makes sense that they were in the same house being that if Lupin was made a Prefect and in a different house, then one of the others could've been a prefect in their own houses. But they were'nt. :D Well James did become Head Boy though... Didn't he?

Also if Sirius was in Slytherin and James and them were friends with him, then it would go against the grain. I mean their's gotta be someone to break the mold... Ya know? Its always Slytherin and Gryffindor vs. eachother. But then life is alot like that as well... But there always comes someone sooner or later to break the mold.

But I still don't think Sirius was a Slytherin.

MoonyX
August 13th, 2003, 10:01 pm
I say the 4 of them were all in Gryffindor. Though Peter went bad and everyone thought Sirius did. That's just my theory though. I'm not sure. :shrug:

auror
August 14th, 2003, 7:03 am
Sirius is a very clever man and his cleverness acts as the base of his character. His cleverness and his good-looking make him self-confident. If a person is self-confident, he can do whatever he desires… He can be the bravest man on the world because he trusts his talents or when he chooses a path, he can freely walk without needing any help… These make Sirius’s other characteristics: brave and adventurous. These characteristics that I’ve mentioned can make him either a Slytherin or a Griffindor… But, I think Sirius was in Griffindor house and the reason to this is hidden under Phineas Nigellus’s words to Harry…

p.437 OotP /// Bloomsbury
“I thought, that you belong to Griffindor house you were supposed to be brave? It looks to me as though you would have been better off in my own house. We Slytherins are brave, yes, but not stupid. For instance, given the choice, we will always choose to save our own necks.”

Sirius’s loyalty to his friends was the reason he was put in the Griffindor rather than Slytherin. As he said in PoA p. 273 “…I never betrayed James and Lilly. I would have died before I betrayed them.” This sentence and his attempt to save Harry from Department of Mysteries in OotP shows that he can sacrifice himself for those he loves. He is not after saving his own neck in times of mortal danger. His loyalty to his friends and his godson was tested many times, and he remained being loyal to them. He stayed in Azkaban Prison for 12 years facing his greatest fears and he died to save his godson, being loyal to the promise he made to Lilly and James.

I certainly think they were all in Griffindor!

HAGRID65
August 14th, 2003, 11:28 am
I Believe Sirius Was In Gryffindor Because It Just Doesn't Make Any Sense That Sirius And Jame Would Be Inseperable If Sirius Was In Slytherin And James In Gryffindor It Just Doesn't Make Any Sense To Me <>

cruplover
August 14th, 2003, 1:54 pm
It would make sense for all four Marauders to have been in the same house, but we've seen plenty of couples from different houses...

Sabine
September 7th, 2003, 11:22 pm
It was a long time that I took for granted, that the marauders had been in one house.

Reading OotP made me a bit wonder .... and then something came in my mind:

How could the marauders make the marauders map when they had been all in the same house??

In Book 3 it says:

It was a map showing every detail of the Hogwarts castle and grounds.

How could one make a map showing every detail without knowing about the other houses?

We know, that Harry and Ron didn't even know where to look for the entrance into Slytherin. Because the houses keep such things secrets to the other.

Doesn't that lead to the conclusion that the marauders must have been out of all 4 houses??

Sabine

shanobyl
September 8th, 2003, 4:13 am
excellent point sabine!
yes, that makes complete sense that each of the four is from the respective houses. it's either that or they explored the castle to no end. and it's possible considering they have the invisibility cloak and the mirrors..

MY_SIRIUS
September 8th, 2003, 11:13 am
for heaven's sake! how could james & sirius be brother-like friends if they werent' in the same house? all of the marauders were in Gryfindore!!! even wormtail. "all" doesn't realy seem right. there are always expections & can't even call that an expection. i"m sure that poeple from all houses went to the dark side but slytherens more & see, we've got snape in the order!

shanobyl
September 8th, 2003, 5:02 pm
harry ron and hermione are not of the same mould either but they are in the same house. harry might have been in slytherin and hermione in ravenclaw but ron, in compelte weasley tradition, is meant to be in griffindor. what im trying to say is, the marauders might have been in the same house even tho they were vastly different. but shud they have been in different houses, it would show that once upon a time, the four houses were united.

moon781
September 9th, 2003, 2:19 am
sorry if someone brought this up already

i know we have discussed what houses they are all in and i think most of us agree that the fab four were in gryffindor (it just doesn't make sense any other way)

my question then is if pettigrew was in fact in gryffindor why he was never brave, he was always a coward who saved himself if he could (a slytherin trait according to phineas) and he betrayed his friends so why would he be in gryffindor

could the sorting hat be fallible and have made a mistake with that one or does anyone think that peter will redeem himself in some way later on (he is afterall, still in harry's debt)

Scarlet Tears
September 9th, 2003, 4:28 am
How could one make a map showing every detail without knowing about the other houses?

We know, that Harry and Ron didn't even know where to look for the entrance into Slytherin. Because the houses keep such things secrets to the other.

Doesn't that lead to the conclusion that the marauders must have been out of all 4 houses??

That is an interesting point, but I'm not sure I agree. James, Sirius, and Remus were all very bright, so I'm reasonably certain that they could have found some other way to include the other common rooms in their map. James had the invisibility cloak and Peter was able to turn into a rat, so either of them could have easily discovered the entrances of each house (as well as every secret the castle contains!) It still puzzles me as to how they accomplished this, though, because certain areas (like the passageway to Hogsmeade) require passwords. I wonder if they found some sort of secret architectual plans of the castle during their explorations that helped them write the map.

As for Peter being in Gryffindor, I'm not really sure how that happened, since I doubt the Sorting Hat was wrong. It could have been that originally he had shown potential as a Gryffindor, but after years of following in the shadows of James, Sirius, and Remus, he underwent a dramatic change in character. You bring up a good point when asking if Peter will redeem himself later in the series, but somehow I don't think that is possible after all that he has done.

Of course, it could be that the real Peter Petigrew is dead, and someone else is using his body in order to carry out their own secret plans of world domination! Ok, there's my crazy theory of the day!

shanobyl
September 9th, 2003, 4:42 am
i think wormtail owes harry more than the favour harry did for him in poa. he caused his parents' death. so i think he might redeem himself.

eggplant
September 9th, 2003, 9:32 am
>Percy is smart, and has a good heart

What?! Percy is evil, so evil I think one of his brothers will be forced to kill him.

Eggplant

Jaded_Wanderer
September 9th, 2003, 11:04 am
i don't know if this' been brought up before (no time to read the whole thread sorry), but i was thinking - what house u reckon Lily was in??

shanobyl
September 9th, 2003, 6:21 pm
i don't know if this' been brought up before (no time to read the whole thread sorry), but i was thinking - what house u reckon Lily was in??

interesting question.
since she's brilliant at charms, i would say she was in ravenclaw. but hermione's great at charms too but she's in griffindor.. well i reckon lily must have been in ravenclaw.

nettorrep22
September 9th, 2003, 11:03 pm
I think that all four marauders were all in one house id have to say gryffindor. Peopel are wondering how they would know where the slytherin, hufflepuff, and ravenclaws common rooms are but who said that that was on the map. and if they did know where it was tehn they probably just found out by following people in other houses around. i do think that sirius was a slytherin and the others where gryffindors but i only think that because of sirius' bloodline.

moon781
September 10th, 2003, 2:31 am
if peter was originally good enough to get into gryffindor what changed? and if so were james and sirius responsible?

i doubt this given the type of character peter is but u never know.....

shanobyl
September 10th, 2003, 6:03 am
Peter was basically the underdog in his group of friends. he was probably not confident of himself and was an introvert. with smart, talented and popular friends like sirius and james, he probably felt intimidated. the only person he might have been able to talk to was lupin.

i think peter and snape are parallels. just that peter is intimidated by the three of them and snape was just envious and very very angry =P

mafiawizard
October 15th, 2003, 7:34 am

Dumbledore, Professor Lupin, Harry, Hermione, and Ron may know that Sirius didn't "go bad", but nobody else does. (At least as best as I can remember...) So to make the above statement true, Sirius would have to have been a Slytherin. Correct? Or is there a flaw in my logic that I'm overlooking (Probably so! :) )

The problem though, is that I can't recall if that was in the book(s) or was just in the movie. Anyways, just something that I thought of earlier.

Jennie
I think that Hagrid and Dumbledor knew about Sirius's all the time so if Hagrid said that the bad witches and wizards are all in slytherin then he meant it because he knew that Hagrid was in slytherin. Also they did not know about Peter so they would have no idea that he betrayed James and Lily. Hagrid makes that statement in book 1 and we do not find out about Peter betraying James and Lily until book 3. So Hagrid would not know about Peter until his third year at Hogwarts two year after he made the statement.

mafiawizard
October 15th, 2003, 7:36 am
Yes, it made perfect sense. Another good question....hmmm.....so, was Peter the exception to the rule or were James, Sirius, and Lupin all in Slytherin? Egads, perish the thought!!
Don't forget that they did not know about Peter until the third book. So in the first book they would not know about Peter they all thought he was dead. But Hagrid the one that made the statement would probably know that Sirius was innocent.

Chrysalis
October 15th, 2003, 10:01 am
All of the Marauders were in Gryffindor. Reason: James was a good person but he would have never been friends with a Slytherin, he hated them.

Slytherins are kinda stereotyped though, IMO, not all of them are like Malfoy. Maybe that in the next books some Slytherins will join the good side.

Puffskein
October 15th, 2003, 12:17 pm
All of the Marauders were in Gryffindor. Reason: James was a good person but he would have never been friends with a Slytherin, he hated them

I don't think this book is so black and white that we can talk about people (much less houses) as if they're all good or all bad. I think what makes James a Gryffindor is the bravery he showed when rescuing Snape at a risk to himself, and in defying Voldemort. A Slytherin could not stand up against someone who offered them power. What makes Sirius a Gryffindor is the courage to stand up to his family's centuries worth of arrogance. What makes Remus a Gryffindor is the courage to fight the evil force within himself. If not for that, he could have been a Hufflepuff.

saz
October 15th, 2003, 12:35 pm
I think it just means that most of the slytherins are bad and not that thats the only house where wizards go bad.
If the sorting hat can see inside your mind it would have seen that Sirius was good. I just had another thought though. We know that the houses were once more friendlier. We don't know when the rivalry really started, but the Maurders could have been from four different houses.
Lupin- Ravenclaw
James- Gryfindore
Peter- Slthyrin
Sirius- Hufflepuff

Sabine
October 15th, 2003, 2:11 pm
I think it just means that most of the slytherins are bad and not that thats the only house where wizards go bad.
If the sorting hat can see inside your mind it would have seen that Sirius was good. I just had another thought though. We know that the houses were once more friendlier. We don't know when the rivalry really started, but the Maurders could have been from four different houses.
Lupin- Ravenclaw
James- Gryfindore
Peter- Slthyrin
Sirius- Hufflepuff

That's what I feel too.

But I guessed that Peter was in Hufflepuff and Sirius in Slytherin. Allthough I admit that the chances for that don't seem to be very high.

Sabine

Furienna
October 15th, 2003, 3:30 pm
I believe, that all four marauders were gryffindors.

And when it comes to Peter not being brave and therefor not a classic gryffindor, Neville would be considered a wimp by many people, at least in the first three books, and he is in Gryffindor. The Hat can see everything.

Also... The four Hogwarts founders were the greatest wizards of their age, and they left such powers in the sorting hat, that I wonder how many could do a thing like that today. Remember, the Hat can See. Nearly Headless Nick thought it snapped up things in the Headmaster's office, but naaaah, I even think it can See. It maybe Saw, and felt, when he was to be sorted, that Peter could play a role in Harry's life and therefor in the long run be the downfall of Voldie, and therefor put him in the same house as Harry's dad, so he could play that role in Harry's life, if no house really was perfect for him.

NorthStar
October 15th, 2003, 7:41 pm
I still think all four marauders were in Gryffindor, although for the life of me I can't understand why Peter would fit any criteria for that.

The houses all have classes, meals, dormitories together, it seems like it would be quite difficult to have the sort of friendship that the four had if they were in different houses. They seem to have done everything together - hard if you only have a few classes together and even have to eat meals at your own house table. The only time you'd really get would be break and holiday times, when you're not eating etc.

Another clue - in OOTP Sirius says (about Prefects) that Lupin got the badge, and Lupin says that he suspects it was so he could try and exercise some control over his friends..........how would a prefect from another house be able to make someone in an entirely different one behave, given the points above about not seeing each other all that much?

moon781
October 15th, 2003, 7:46 pm
it is true it is not all black and white with what house u are put in i think the houses are just guidelines not rules

look at hermione and neville they are both in gryffindor but hermione could have been in ravenclaw and neville could have been in hufflepuff they must have some reason for being in gryffindor

i think its the same with the mauraders i think they were all in gryffindor (everyone was shocked when they first heard sirius was responsible for lily and james' deaths- he was a good person before all that) and either the hat is fallible or peter has not yet played his part as a gryffindor after all he is still in debt to harry

Jonny Boy
October 23rd, 2003, 11:38 pm
First of all were does it say Sirius went back and second of all Hagrid said almost every witch/wizard who went to Slytherin turned out bad. Bad wizards can still come from other houses.

Furienna
October 24th, 2003, 9:12 am
I got no respone on this, so I have to re-print it again.

The four Hogwarts founders were the greatest wizards of their age, and they left such powers in the sorting hat, that I wonder how many could do a thing like that today. Remember, the Hat can See. Nearly Headless Nick thought it snapped up things in the Headmaster's office, but naaaah, I even think it can See. It maybe Saw, and felt, when he was to be sorted, that Peter could play a role in Harry's life and therefor in the long run be the downfall of Voldie, and therefor put him in the same house as Harry's dad, so he could play that role in Harry's life, if no house really was perfect for him.

sawyer
October 30th, 2003, 9:51 am
Another clue - in OOTP Sirius says (about Prefects) that Lupin got the badge, and Lupin says that he suspects it was so he could try and exercise some control over his friends..........how would a prefect from another house be able to make someone in an entirely different one behave, given the points above about not seeing each other all that much?
The prefects have many powers even on the other houses students: remeber Percy's behaviour.So I think that Sirius was in Slytherin, and so that Peter. Sirius because of his family and Peter cause his personal evil nature. :evil:

NorthStar
October 30th, 2003, 7:25 pm
Well, unless JK decides to lift the fog earlier, we'll be waiting for the Pensieve scene in the film of OOTP to see what uniforms they'll all be wearing!!

I still think they were all in Gryffindor.

Hermiony
October 30th, 2003, 9:40 pm
Ok i know that statement was in the movie but here is one from book 4 on page 178:
THe table on the other side of the hall erupted with cheers; Harry could see Malfoy clapping as Baddock joined the Slytherins. Harry wondered whether Baddock knew that Slytherin House had turned out more Dark witches and wizards than any other.

This would imply that other houses had witched and wizards go bad as well.

rotsiepots
October 31st, 2003, 1:13 am
The prefects have many powers even on the other houses students: remeber Percy's behaviour.So I think that Sirius was in Slytherin, and so that Peter. Sirius because of his family and Peter cause his personal evil nature. :evil:

Family doesn't determine your house, though. Personal characteristics do. If family was the determining factor that why aren't the Patil twins both in the same house?

I think James, Peter, Remus and Sirius were all in Gryffindor. We'll just have to wait and see if JKR drops any more hints, I suppose. ;)

NYCwitch920
October 31st, 2003, 2:08 am
I had always assumed that Sirius was in Gryffindor. He was a bit of a mischief, especially around Snape. I don't think he was in slytherin because he did have his heart in the right place. He was friends with good students too. I know that doesn't necessarily guarantee that he was in Gryffindor but I always thought he was in the same house as James. They were best friends.

sawyer
October 31st, 2003, 11:39 am
We'll just have to wait and see if JKR drops any more hints, I suppose. ;)
Yes but until that time it's very inetersting to speculate! ;)
So, talking about family, how do you explain the generations of Slytherin Malfoys? :evil:

Tirwen Lupin
October 31st, 2003, 7:15 pm
I always assumed that the Marauders were in the same house. That's why they'd naturally become friends. It's much easier to make friends in you own house than to make them in a different one, and they seemed to be friends pretty much from the start.
Especially when it comes to Peter. He was gravitated towards the other three because they were the closest "powerful" figures. I think in PoA Sirius said that Peter made sure that Sirius, James, and Remus were the "biggest kids on the playground". He'd befriend someone else if he were in a different house than them. He simply latched onto the other three (James and Sirius in particular) because they were most convenient.

I tend to think it was Gryffindor, but JKR could still surprise us...

Lupin, James and Sirius seem the Gryffindor type, but Peter certainly doesn’t. Though the Hat may have seen qualities in his head that would suggest that he was. Possibly like the situation with Neville.
Or maybe Peter was hoping very strongly to be in the same house as the others—they might have discussed houses on the train. Also, Remus and Sirius had already been sorted before him (because their last names come before his), so he may have wanted to be in the same house as them.
As for Hagrid’s words about all bad wizards being from Slytherin, I think that was just an overgeneralization. Though Sirius must have been one of the most notable “baddies” to him, Hagrid probably just wanted to make the point that a lot of dark wizards had been from Slytherin.

Remquo
November 19th, 2003, 11:16 pm
Hmmm...I assumed they were all in Gryffindor, but Hagrid's statement that there wasn't a single wizard or witch who went bad that wasn't in Slytherin seems to imply that Sirius could have been a Slytherin....after all, Sirius was meant to have 'gone bad', and Hagrid knew about it...

Still, I believe JKR made that comment so we, the readers, understood that Slytherin was the 'bad' house...I'm not sure it was meant to be read into too much, I think it was there just to show what 'good' people thought of Slytherin...And Hagrid can't have been too impressed with Slytherin, seeing as Tom Riddle got him thrown out...gah, I'm going round in circles...

Anyway - I reckon they were all in Gryffindor. I know it's never actually stated but I think it's possible that, taking Remus for example, he might have had what could be considered Ravenclaw qualities, but was still in Gryffindor, much like Hermione. I can't see the Marauders making such good friends if they weren't together 24 hours a day, in the same dorm and sharing the same common room.

I hope the rest of you aren't as confused as me over all that...

Luv Remmy, xxx

roberto
November 19th, 2003, 11:29 pm
I put this up over on the newclues board (And keep in mind, this applies to them while they were in school):

You could argue that each one of the 4 represented a house:

James-Gryffindor: bravery (saved Snape from werewolf Lupin)

Lupin - Ravenclaw: smarts and a hard worker

Sirius - Slytherin: cunning, pure blood (he was a member of the most prominent pure blood family and the trick he pulled on Snape was something a Slytherin would do)

Peter - Hufflepuff: he lacks any distinct quality

If this holds true, I ahve no idea what it would mean, but its something I picked up on.

Constance
November 20th, 2003, 12:57 am
I, like many others in this thread, had assumed that the marauders were in Gryffindor. However, the theory that the Marauders were in different houses does not really hold any credibility with me.

Firstly, how would they have formed the supposedly strong relationship the book implies? House rivalry is present when Harry is at Hogwarts, and to me it certainly seems to be there when the marauders are. If Sirius had been in Slytherin, I think that he would have avoided interacting with Gryffindors at all costs, except for when he was insulting them.

There is also the fact of common rooms and lessons. I doubt they would have got to know each other so well if they only saw each other once or twice a week in or after lessons and at the weekend. Wouldn't it be just slightly difficult to figure out that one of your best friends is a werewolf?

Also, in book five, wasn't Sirius burned off the Black Tapestry because he was a "blood trator"? Being in Gryffindor would fall neatly into the category, wouldn't it?

So...I think hes a Gryffindor, like the rest of 'em! Sorry!

hesdead-dealwithit
November 20th, 2003, 1:14 am
JKR has confirmed that James was in Gryffindor. I think that Wormtail has to be in Gryffindor as well, also, because the only way he would start hanging around James is if they were in the same house. And it's not much of a stretch to say that Sirius and Lupin were in the same house too.

matthall84
November 20th, 2003, 2:00 am
It seems to me from reading all these posts is that the biggest reason everyone thinks James and Sirius were both in Gryffindor is because they were best friends and a Gryffindor and Slytherin would never be best friends. Why? I seem to remember a passage from the books about Godric and Salazar being best friends at one time, even though they later split. Who is to say the houses hated each other back when the Marauders were at school? I think the houses still probably had rivalries from Quidditch, but much of the animosity probably came from Voldemort rising to power. This would have happened after the Marauders had left school. I do not think it is out of the questioin that a Slytherin and Gryffindor could have been best friends. I think the most likely possibilities are that they were from all 4 houses:
James=Gryffindor, brave for rescuing Snape, standing up to Voldy, being on the Quidditch team.
Sirius=Slytherin, sneaky, was probably raised to think purebloods were better but after being at school hanging out with James (and even Lily) realized how silly it was to think blood made someone superior as a result left home when he was 16 (and still at school).
Lupin=Ravenclaw, smart, hard worker, must have a lot of discipline to hide being a werewolf
Peter=Hufflepuff, no discernable qualities... yet, i think peter will play a vital role ousting Voldy in the upcoming books by "honoring" his debt to Harry for saving his life.
I think when Voldemort took power the known Death Eaters were from Slytherin (or possibly other schools of magic), which is the reason behind Hagrid's comments. Since many Death Eaters were from Slytherin and probably many who stood up to them were from Gryffindor (i.e. they were brave) that is what led to much of the animosity between the houses that we now see while Harry is there.
Anyway these are just some ramblings meant to encourage some debate, feel free to tell me why they are all in the same house. I just didn't feel this angle had been touched upon yet.

hesdead-dealwithit
November 20th, 2003, 2:20 am
Well, we know that James was in Gryffindor because he was on the Gryffindor Quidditch team (JKR said so in an interview, and she might have also said so somewhere in the books) and she has also deeply hinted in an interview that Sirius is in Gryffindor as well. Most likely, however, they're all in Gryffindor and JKR never thought about them being in different houses. What seems to us as "deeply hinting" is just normal for her - she almost certainly doesn't even know that we don't know.

moon781
November 20th, 2003, 2:40 am
just commenting on what ive seen people say

peter was/is not evil he is a coward he has no sense of good versus evil all he has is himself versus everyone else the only reason he went to voldemort in the first place and why he went back was to save himself from dying (this is repeated in the books many times) so i still think he was in gryffindor

and sirius does not have to be in slytherin because all his family was (the patil sisters are in different houses and they are twins) he was not like them at all thats why they outcasted him hes in gryffindor too

people are not sorted strictly on their abilities it is their choices and who they are that allow them to be where they are (thanks to dumbledore for that indirect quote)

Furienna
November 20th, 2003, 10:02 am
It seems to me from reading all these posts is that the biggest reason everyone thinks James and Sirius were both in Gryffindor is because they were best friends and a Gryffindor and Slytherin would never be best friends. Why? I seem to remember a passage from the books about Godric and Salazar being best friends at one time, even though they later split. Who is to say the houses hated each other back when the Marauders were at school? I think the houses still probably had rivalries from Quidditch, but much of the animosity probably came from Voldemort rising to power. This would have happened after the Marauders had left school. I do not think it is out of the questioin that a Slytherin and Gryffindor could have been best friends. I think the most likely possibilities are that they were from all 4 houses:
James=Gryffindor, brave for rescuing Snape, standing up to Voldy, being on the Quidditch team.
Sirius=Slytherin, sneaky, was probably raised to think purebloods were better but after being at school hanging out with James (and even Lily) realized how silly it was to think blood made someone superior as a result left home when he was 16 (and still at school).
Lupin=Ravenclaw, smart, hard worker, must have a lot of discipline to hide being a werewolf
Peter=Hufflepuff, no discernable qualities... yet, i think peter will play a vital role ousting Voldy in the upcoming books by "honoring" his debt to Harry for saving his life.
I think when Voldemort took power the known Death Eaters were from Slytherin (or possibly other schools of magic), which is the reason behind Hagrid's comments. Since many Death Eaters were from Slytherin and probably many who stood up to them were from Gryffindor (i.e. they were brave) that is what led to much of the animosity between the houses that we now see while Harry is there.
Anyway these are just some ramblings meant to encourage some debate, feel free to tell me why they are all in the same house. I just didn't feel this angle had been touched upon yet.

The houses are not their founders. The founders were friends back in their days, at least to begin with, but over the centuries, the houses have started to rather to see the differences between than the similarities, which is not such an uncommon phenomena in human nature. And I personally think that the marauders were all in Gryffindor.

Puffskein
November 20th, 2003, 3:29 pm
The best reason to think the Marauders were all in the same house is that Lupin says "My three friends noticed that I disappeared every month". How could they all have noticed if they weren't all in the same dorm and classes?
Then Sirius said in OOTP that Lupin was the good boy in the group and got to be a prefect. That implication that only one of them could be prefect suggests that they were in the same house.

On current evidence it's hard for me to see why Peter was a Gryffindor, he's shown very little bravery or chivalry so far. The others make sense to me. James rescued Snape at his own risk and died trying to save his wife and son. Sirius stood up to his family's arrogance, which must have taken some guts. Remus fought, and still fights, the evil force within himself. There are lots of different ways to be brave.

matthall84
November 20th, 2003, 8:49 pm
I realize the founders were not the houses, but the houses did take on their characteristics, so if Salazar Slytherin and Godric Gryffindor could be best friends I certainly think two students from thier respective houses could be best friends. If they were all friends I think they would still be able to notice when one of them went missing at dinner (I think the moon would be out by then or at least lupin would have left by then) I seem to remember them not learning to be animagi until 5th year (correct me if I'm wrong) and I recollect it took them 3 years to learn how to become them. That would lead me to believe they discovered Lupin's secret during second year. If it took them 2 years to realize he was leaving what are the odds they were in the same house? I think that leads to the possibility they were in different houses. Just because they were best friends doesn't mean they were in the same house, especially if the houses didin't have the animosity they do now.
As for lupin being the prefect of the group, I don't think that means he was in the same house as James. If they were both prefects from different houses I don't think Lupin would be inclined to "discipline" James and Sirius or feel as inclined to stand up to them. I think Dumbledore made Lupin the only prefect of the group because he wanted Lupin's opinion to carry more weight with the group since he was more level-headed. I think more of a Ravenclaw characteristic than a Gryffindor.
Again, the point I'm trying to raise is that I think much of the friction between the houses is a result of Voldemort. It is mentioned so many times througout the books how more dark wizards come from Slytherin than anywhere else and that seems to be the reason the other houses don't like Slytherin. You don't hear people saying "I don't like Slytherin because they are sneaky, only look out for themselves, are power hungry, ..." They don't like Slytherin because of the dark wizards. That's why I don't think the houses disliked each other as much when James and Sirius were there. When you take that coupled with the Marauder's Map knowing every passageway (it doesn't actually say there were secret passages in each common room, but that doesn't mean there aren't) they probably had access to each common room which I feel leans toward them being from different houses. The sorting hat seems to indicate when the houses work together they can accomplish great things (this is in reference to standing up to Voldemort in the coming war, but I still something as unique and powerful as the map would be extremely difficult to make, otherwise there would be more of them). Plus I think they really have different personalities. I know there's a refence to James and Sirius being two of a kind but that is when they are in Hogsmead, so James and Sirius would have been hanging out for 3 years. I think James had a profound effect on Sirius and his attitudes on a lot of matters changed, thus running away from home. (not sure if this is really standing up to them, running away seems more of a slytherin characteristic, even though he didn't agree with the pure-blood thing.)
Just my 2 cents though.

[Pretty]_[Unicorn]
November 20th, 2003, 9:12 pm
Sirius never did go "bad" so the theory wouldn't fit him because he always stayed loyal to the Potters and Dumbledore.

I was thinking about Peter and I think JKR may be hinting that we will see more of Peter later on in the books, like him playing an even bigger role. Since he came from Gryffindor, the evidence really supports it I mean he the marauders wouldn't be friends with him if he wasn't, and the theory is that everyone bad comes from Slytherin so maybe Peter will turn sides on Voldemort and come back to help Harry as Harry had once helped him.

Boris_the_Bewilder
January 19th, 2004, 4:12 pm
We know from OOTP (ch 9, p. 170 US ed.) that James, Sirius, and Remus were all in the same house and that Remus was made Prefect. And most of us have assumed that House was Gryffindor (since we think at least James must have been in there). But what is the evidence? There is no direct evidence in the books.

JKR in an interview (over at Scholastic Press) did say that Hagrid and Lily were in Gryffindor ("naturally"). But when asked whether James was the Gryffindor Seeker, she simply said he was a Chaser, leaving the House part unaddressed. (And I think it's safe to say that if she is planning a little surprise for Harry in the books, she is not going to voluntarily raise the issue in an interview and give it away.)

Second, in the Pensieve scene in OOTP 28 Harry sees James and later (ch 31, p. 704) when the trio are out under the same tree as in the Penseive scene, he thinks that Ron reminds him of an earlier Gryffindor Quidditch player — naming, James. So Harry thinks James is in Gryffindor.

But has Harry simply assumed it the way we have? In the books (unlike in the movies), there are no private school uniforms — just ordinary black robes over regular teenage clothing. So there is nothing to identify James by appearance as Gryffindor. (In COS 12 in the Polyjuice scene, Hermione gets two bigger black robes for Harry and Ron, but there is nothing said about the robes being specifically "Slytherin" robes. Also, Harry and Ron mistake a girl (Penelope Clearwater) for a Slytherin — if anything on her robe or anything else identified which house she was in, they would have known without asking that she was Ravenclaw.)

Two major incidents from their school days suggest that James and the boys were in Slytherin. First, the conduct of James and Sirius in the Pensieve scene (OOTP 28) certainly is not the paradigm of Gryffindor behavior, to put it mildly. Looking for something to do, Sirius points out Snape, and out of boredom James tortures and humiliates Snape in front of other students and Lily. When Lily asks what Snape had done to him, James says it is more like the mere fact that Snape exists rather than anything he had done (p. 647). I can't see Harry or Ron doing anything remotely like that. But it does sound like something a powerful Slytherin would do. (Malfoy would probably like to do it, but he, unlike James and Sirius, is not the best in his class.)

Second, in POA 18, pp. 356-57, we learned that Sirius sent werewolf Remus off to kill Snape as an "amusing" "trick." How could Sirius send his friend off like that? It certainly does not show the bravery of a Gryffindor. Again, I have trouble seeing Harry or Ron or any Gryffindor sending a friend who was a werewolf off to kill someone. James intervenes "at great risk to his own life" to prevent a murder and to prevent his friend Remus from becoming a murderer. But that doesn't change the significance of Sirius' behavior. You don't have to be in Gryffindor not to want someone murdered or your friend to be a murderer. James's actions did show bravery, but they were in countering Sirius's cowardly acts — and so this part of the episode doesn't point to one House or the other. (If James was in Slytherin, this episode might be what changed his character.)

There are a couple of other points that may also be relevant. First, note that in the Pensieve scene, James and Lily refer to each other by their last names. Within Gryffindor, this is only done by members of the Quidditch team. (Was Lily on the Quidditch team?) Otherwise this is a strange thing for members of the same House to do after they have been there for 5 years — especially since James is trying to get Lily to go out with him. But if they were in different houses, then that appears to be normal — like Harry, Ron, and Hermione referring to Draco as "Malfoy" and vice versa.

Second, everyone wonders how Wormtail could possibly have gotten into Gryffindor. His ambition (attaching himself to the best students in school and then to LV) strongly Slytherin, and none of his choices or abilities suggest any of the other three Houses. But this problem is premised on the idea that James and the boys were in Gryffindor and wouldn't include in their group of Marauders someone in Slytherin or any other House. But if they were all in Slytherin, there is no problem. (And they could still despise Snape even if his is in the same House.)

The chief argument against this theory is that Snape would have known James was in Slytherin and would have been gleefully taunting Harry with the news all along. And Draco too would probably know, but he hasn't said anything. And LV too. And why hasn't Dumbledore told Harry?

Could the answer be that JKR is just saving the shock until the time that Harry needs to learn that not everything is black and white? She waited until the fifth book to show him that his father was a jerk at one time. Maybe the shock that he and Sirius were in Slytherin will come in Book 6. Or maybe she's saving the announcement until Hogwarts gets attacked by the DE's and Harry needs to bring the Houses together.

So James and the boys may well have been in Gryffindor, but it definitely not certain. I like to think Harry's father was in Gryffindor. The HP Lexicon says there is a 99% chance that James was in Gryffindor (and so the same is true for Sirius and Remus), but that was true before OOTP. But it is very, very interesting that JKR has never actually said it. She may be planning yet another shock for poor Harry.

Sniv
January 19th, 2004, 4:18 pm
You have some very good points there...
I think that they were in Griffindor...(I havent checked this but doesnt it say somewhere in book 1 that Harry just like James were the Griffindor Seeker?...)

Im not sure...but I belive that they were in Griffindor...

purplehawk
January 19th, 2004, 4:28 pm
One hint comes when Professor McGonagall introduced Harry and Oliver Wood. She told Harry "Your father would have been proud... He was an excellent Quidditch player himself."

She doesn't say Gryffindor Quidditch player, but I've always assumed her comment to mean he was.

Alorra Spinnet
January 19th, 2004, 6:35 pm
[QUOTE=Boris_the_Bewilder]We know from OOTP (ch 9, p. 170 US ed.) that James, Sirius, and Remus were all in the same house and that Remus was made Prefect. And most of us have assumed that House was Gryffindor (since we think at least James must have been in there). But what is the evidence? There is no direct evidence in the books.

JKR in an interview (over at Scholastic Press) did say that Hagrid and Lily were in Gryffindor ("naturally"). But when asked whether James was the Gryffindor Seeker, she simply said he was a Chaser, leaving the House part unaddressed. (And I think it's safe to say that if she is planning a little surprise for Harry in the books, she is not going to voluntarily raise the issue in an interview and give it away.)

I went into the Lexicon for the link to that interview. The actual Question was, "What position did James play on the Gryffindor Quidditch Team?" Was it seeker like Harry, or something different?"
Her answer was that James was chaser.
The way the question was worded and the way she answered implies that he was in Gryffindor. They specifically asked what his position on the Gryffindor team was, then asked if it was the same as Harry's. She did not correct them on his being in Gryffindor.It is the same interview where she states that Lily was in Gryffindor and that her last name was Evans.

Boris_the_Bewilder
January 19th, 2004, 6:50 pm
sniv: in the movie, James is identified as a Gryfinndor Seeker, but not in the book. And in an interview JKR says James is a Chaser. This raises the whole problem of how much control JKR has over the movies.

purplehawk: Yes, McGonagall sounds pleased. It could be that James was on the Gryffindor team, but it could be that she's please because James played for Slytherin and Harry will be playing for Gryffindor and finally she finally has a chance to get the Quiddtich cup back from Snape. It's fun the way everything can be interpreted two ways.

Alorra: I still don't think JKR is going to volunteer any information in an interview if she is planning a surprise in the books. It could be James was in Gryffindor, but it could also be she only the miminal answer because she didn't want to say in an interview "And oh by the way, you are wrong that James was in Gryffindor. He was actually in Slytherin." I wish she had said something like that so I wouldn't be so bewildered.

sindatur
January 19th, 2004, 7:15 pm
sniv: in the movie, James is identified as a Gryfinndor Seeker, but not in the book. And in an interview JKR says James is a Chaser. This raises the whole problem of how much control JKR has over the movies.

purplehawk: Yes, McGonagall sounds pleased. It could be that James was on the Gryffindor team, but it could be that she's please because James played for Slytherin and Harry will be playing for Gryffindor and finally she finally has a chance to get the Quiddtich cup back from Snape. It's fun the way everything can be interpreted two ways.

Alorra: I still don't think JKR is going to volunteer any information in an interview if she is planning a surprise in the books. It could be James was in Gryffindor, but it could also be she only the miminal answer because she didn't want to say in an interview "And oh by the way, you are wrong that James was in Gryffindor. He was actually in Slytherin." I wish she had said something like that so I wouldn't be so bewildered.

Boris, I agree with your reasoning, and I too believe the Marauders were all in Gryffindor, certainly they would need to be all in the same house, since Lupin was made a prefect, to keep the others in line, difficult believe Dumbledore would expect that of Lupin, had they not be in the same house.

Regarding the specific question if James was "Gryffindor Player", I think it's more in JKR's style of avoiding answering questions (IF James didn't play for Gryffindor) to have answered differently (IE: Who says James played for Gryffindor or something like that) Rather than answering the position part, and ignoring the house part. Ignoring the "House part" of the question, I think would be a "lie" on JKR's part if James didn't play on the Gryffindor team. JKR deliberately uses ambiguous words, and often says things that should be interpretted differently from the way we intially accept them to mean, but, to the best of my knowledge, she doesn't outright lie to us, she just says things in a way to make us believe something else.

Alorra Spinnet
January 19th, 2004, 7:24 pm
Regarding the specific question if James was "Gryffindor Player", I think it's more in JKR's style of avoiding answering questions (IF James didn't play for Gryffindor) to have answered differently (IE: Who says James played for Gryffindor or something like that) Rather than answering the position part, and ignoring the house part. Ignoring the "House part" of the question, I think would be a "lie" on JKR's part if James didn't play on the Gryffindor team. JKR deliberately uses ambiguous words, and often says things that should be interpretted differently from the way we intially accept them to mean, but, to the best of my knowledge, she doesn't outright lie to us, she just says things in a way to make us believe something else.

That is sort of the way she answers people who ask her about Harry's future after Hogwarts. The whole "Are you so sure he's going to survive?" bit.

GryffindorGr
January 19th, 2004, 7:36 pm
wow, this is one of the most interesting subjects, but i didnt get to finish reading everyones responses.
I just wanted to make my comment that after reading OotP, I have a feeling Sirius might have been in Slytherin.

I dont know, just that from the Grimmauld place 12, there was this image where Harry steps in,

p.60
Harry crossed the dingy landing, turned the bedroom doorknob, which was shaped like a serpent's head, and opened the door.

Plus the fact that the long line of the Noble and Most Ancient House of Black were purebloods in the most strong sense. The loyalty Sirius Black placed with James was because they had a great friendship. All 4 did, well, Wormtail was debatable but he was still their friend, and just because one is in Slytherin doesn't mean they can't be "brave" and loyal. There are all forms of bravery and DD said so himself.

I also begin to wonder, if Harry were not brought up with the Dursleys, would he have been as arrogant as his father? Would Harry with his knowledge and upbringing in the wizarding world accept Draco's hand in the beginning of PS/SS? And if so, would they have become great friends instead of enemies?
All those things are all speculations but we'll see in book 6 and 7.

harp230
January 19th, 2004, 10:07 pm
I also begin to wonder, if Harry were not brought up with the Dursleys, would he have been as arrogant as his father? Would Harry with his knowledge and upbringing in the wizarding world accept Draco's hand in the beginning of PS/SS? And if so, would they have become great friends instead of enemies?
All those things are all speculations but we'll see in book 6 and 7.
My suspicion would be that Harry was more likely to accept Draco's friendship since he was raised by the Dursley's than if he was raised soley by his parents. Harry would have had more of an idea of who's who in the wizarding world. His father arogant or not was still a member of the Order. Harry would have had an idea of who Draco is , like Ron did, before meeting him and stayed away for that reason.

As far as the houses, I would think that Sirius james and lupin were in the same house as implied in OOTP. Lupin being a werewolf I doubt would be slytherin material. Other than that I would say it is quite possible that they could have been is slytherin.

Boris_the_Bewilder
January 19th, 2004, 10:59 pm
Here are some other possible objections to the idea that they were in Slytherin that can be easily refuted.

(1) How could Harry be the Heir of Gryffindor is James was in Slytherin? Simple: one's ancestry does not determine which House you go in — one's character and ultimately one's choices do. So a father can be in one House and the child in another, and both still be descended from the same person. (Also remember that the Sorting Hat told Harry that he would do very well in Slytherin (PS/SS 7). Probably James had the same dispositions at age 11. Maybe the Hat said the same to James and he said "Fine.")

(2) We learn throughout OOTP that Sirius' mother considered him a "blood traitor." Being sorted into Gryffindor would certainly upset the Black family (which I assume has always been in Slytherin, considering all the snake emblems around their house at Grimmauld) and might be enough to label him a "blood traitor." He might be an automatic Slytherin (like Malfoy just touching the Hat in PS/SS 7) — would Sirius's character be so strong that he would not even have time to argue and choose Gryffindor like Harry did? The basic question is when did he go bad (or go "good")? At age 11 or before? Wouldn't it be more likely that he would rebel against his family as a teenager? At age 11 when he was sorted, he may well have still been under his family's influence. Harry would be an exception — he would gladly have rebelled against the Dursleys at 11, but he was mistreated all his life.

(3) Remus was a werewolf and Slytherin only takes in "purebloods." Well, Remus was bitten as a child and that does not affect his "pure blood" ancestry — if he had one. Also remember, not all Slytherins are "pure bloods" — LV being the chief example. (LV was in Slytherin, right?)

(4) James and the boys were not bad and so couldn't be in Slytherin. Well, no one is saying James and the others were "bad" (i.e., followers of LV), but only that their cunning and ambition, not bravery, were defining their character at age 11 when they were sorted. (We don't know how ambitious James and Sirius might have been at age 11 when they were sorted.) So too James could hate the dark arts and still be in Slytherin — the dark arts are not what define a Slytherin. And by the way, was being sorted in Slytherin considered such a "bad" thing back when they were sorted? When did Slytherin get the reputation for being "bad" any how? Was it before LV rose to power? It may just have been a place for cunning and ambitious people. Like a werewolf who didn't want people to know he was a werewolf.

(5) Throughout the books there are passages stating that Harry sees a boy whom he doesn't know by name but knows is in Hufflepuff or that he sees a group of Slytherins. How could he know that if he cannot tell their House by appearance (and so could see which House James was in)? Simple: he has been having breakfast, lunch, and dinner with these people for years. He can see which House table they have been sitting at. So even if he doesn't know their names or anything else, he knows which House they are in. Also not that in these passages JKR does not say that Harry sees someone in a Hufflepuff robe or anything like that — just that he knows which House they are in.

(6) How in POA 8 could Sirius know where the Gryffindor Common Room was if he hadn't been in Gryfinndor in school? Simple: he had the Marauder's Map while in school. He probably knew where all the Common Rooms were. (That James and the boys would even create a map for marauding might seem like more evidence of Slytherin activity — but Fred and George, and Harry, Ron, and Hermione all happily use it.)

(7) In POA, Remus wants Gryffindor to beat Ravenclaw at Quidditch. Doesn't that mean Remus was in Gryffindor? No. Remus would support Harry. I'd bet he would also cheer for Harry over Slytherin even if Remus had been in Slytherin. Harry is Remus's last link to his best friend James and Lily — Harry even looks like James with Lily's eyes, so Remus is constantly reminded of James. So of course he is going to cheer for Harry (and therefore his House) no matter what House Harry is in and what House Remus was in. In short, he won't cheer against Harry and his lost friend.

I'm still not saying they were definitely in Slytherin (I want Harry's father and his friends to have been in Gryffindor). But it is curious that all these times JKR could have told us they were in Gryffindor she didn't. It makes me think she is playing something.

harp230
January 19th, 2004, 11:24 pm
[QUOTE=Boris_the_Bewilder]
(3) Remus was a werewolf and Slytherin only takes in "purebloods." Well, Remus was bitten as a child and that does not affect his "pure blood" ancestry — if he had one. Also remember, not all Slytherins are "pure bloods" — LV being the chief example. (LV was in Slytherin, right?)

QUOTE]

I do not see the issue as purely about his blood status( which we do not even know), but that "other types" are not accepted and coupled with his personality. Regardless of ancestory he would not be accepted. Voldemort is only accepted because he aspires to rule the world and he is not proud that he is not pureblood. No one cares because he has power and Slytherins are attracted to power.
Even if there are exceptions, the rule is that slytherins are purebloods. Not half bloods, muggleborn half breeds or anything else. So far we have only two known possibilities for exceptions. Harry and Voldie. Both are exceptions to many other conventions of wizarding life not just house placement at Hogwarts. The cannot be used as a measuring stick of anyone.

Phoenix_Song
January 20th, 2004, 12:17 am
Well, I don't agree with the idea that Sirius is in Slytherin, or any of the other Marauders, for that matter. IF they are not all in Gryffindor (and I'm not convinced that they aren't), here is what I see as the most likely scenario, and my logic behind it.

James: Gryffindor. JKR has told us this, and it was in the movie, a detail that would never have been included without JKR's approval.

Sirius: Hufflepuff. They are loyal, true and hardworking. A dog is loyal, true, and hardworking.

Remus: Ravenclaw. He's scholarly, he enjoys learning and books, and he values intelligence and wit.

Peter: Slytherin. For obvious reasons.

Okay, so...in Book V, the sorting hat goes into it's song, and it's about uniting the houses, and Harry scoffs at the idea of befriending a Slytherin, right? But the fact is that an overriding theme here is that without unity, the good side cannot win. Perhaps that unity was exemplified by the Marauders. Perhaps we'll find that out, and Harry will learn from his father's example about the Slytherins, and maybe that's key to Voldy's defeat.

But Wormtail betrayed the Marauders. Well...yes, yes he did. But I believe that Wormtail's part in this tale is not finished, and I think he will redeem himself of that sin (through saving one of the trio's life, or perhaps sacrificing his own life for Lupin. I think, though, he will save Harry. Don't forget the life debt and all of that...), and in a way that will be pivotal to Voldemort's final downfall. Thus, if Sirius, Remus, and James had not befriended him, Harry would not have been successful, once again proving that it is UNITY that can defeat Voldy.

But...mostly I believe that they were all Gryffindors, and that Peter will prove his bravery in the end by defying Voldy and saving Harry's life. This is just an "if they aren't all Gryffies, what are they" type theory.

Berylla Chub
January 20th, 2004, 2:33 am
I believe James, Peter, Remus and Sirius were all Gryffindor classmates.

I don't know. . .with the kind of family Sirius had, you'd think he would have been disowned if he went anywhere but Slytherin; of course, that didn't happen until he ran away at sixteen. Then again, all the evidence says that James was a Gryffindor and that the Marauders were friends since first year. Even if Sirius was one of those few good-natured Slytherins that I hope exist, I don't think James was the kind of open-minded guy that could see past the rivalry of the houses and befriend him.

GryffindorGr
January 20th, 2004, 2:54 am
My suspicion would be that Harry was more likely to accept Draco's friendship since he was raised by the Dursley's than if he was raised soley by his parents. Harry would have had more of an idea of who's who in the wizarding world. His father arogant or not was still a member of the Order. Harry would have had an idea of who Draco is , like Ron did, before meeting him and stayed away for that reason.

As far as the houses, I would think that Sirius james and lupin were in the same house as implied in OOTP. Lupin being a werewolf I doubt would be slytherin material. Other than that I would say it is quite possible that they could have been is slytherin.

Are you sure about that? Because it seems to defy why James turned out the way he did. Which is begs me to wonder what James parents were like.

You know I went to search something on Black, and I'm not sure if the HPlexicon is accurate but it says here that Sirius Black was (implied) sorted into the Gryffindor house.

http://www.hp-lexicon.org/wizards/black.html

I liked Phoenix_song idea:

James: Gryffindor. JKR has told us this, and it was in the movie, a detail that would never have been included without JKR's approval.

Sirius: Hufflepuff. They are loyal, true and hardworking. A dog is loyal, true, and hardworking.

Remus: Ravenclaw. He's scholarly, he enjoys learning and books, and he values intelligence and wit.

Peter: Slytherin. For obvious reasons.

But it says here again in another HPlexicon that it wasn't confirmed:
http://www.hp-lexicon.org/marauders.html

and only James was the certain one who would be Gryffindor.

Note though, Phoenix_Song, that Harry was almost sorted into Slytherin and Hermione almost in Ravenclaw, there was also an equal amount of Pause during Neville's sorting, though we dont know which house he would have ended up in if it wasn't Gryffindor.
If Lupin had the qualities of Ravenclaw, he would still be sorted into Gryffindor, and Peter into the same house even if they had the potentiality to be in another.

Boris_the_Bewilder you make some good points, and we dont even know until JKR does pull a surprise on us. I would be surprised if Sirius was in Slytherin as well although it's not impossible. Does this imply that the Unity of the houses were "one" during their generation? I can't help but think that generations of the houses before were always at some separation--which started from the line of Salazar Slytherin.

Berylla ChubI don't know. . .with the kind of family Sirius had, you'd think he would have been disowned if he went anywhere but Slytherin; of course, that didn't happen until he ran away at sixteen. Then again, all the evidence says that James was a Gryffindor and that the Marauders were friends since first year. Even if Sirius was one of those few good-natured Slytherins that I hope exist, I don't think James was the kind of open-minded guy that could see past the rivalry of the houses and befriend him.

Thats a good speculation. But they were friends from the 1st year so if Sirius ran away at 16, then what you said above---if Sirius was in Slytherin it would be nice that there are some who are good natured. I think James would easily befriend Sirius. Remember, Sirius didn't like the ways of his family's tradition so he must have entertained those thoughts for a long time.