Albino Peacocks

griffin_potter
July 25th, 2007, 7:03 pm
Perhaps this is isn't significant but its really bothering me. When Harry and the others are taken to the Malfoy's and they are entering the gate. Harry looks up and it sees a "ghostly white shape abve him, and realized it was an albino peacock" normally I would probably have dismissed this as something significant but in the deluxe copy of the Deathly Hallows there is a beautiful color illustration of this peacock. So is it a patronus? If so who's? Somebody from the order?

Weasleytwin
July 25th, 2007, 7:18 pm
I'm pretty sure it's just a peacock. The same peacock shows up in the first chapter, when Snape and Yaxley are entering the Malfoy's yard. 'Peacocks! That Lucius always did himself well!' or something like that.

Pinkerton
July 25th, 2007, 7:22 pm
It was mentioned twice, but only in passing. The peacock was definitely fishy, lurking near the mansion and being so distinct in color.. but it was more than anything a symbol of the Malfoy family's love of all things elegant and powerful, as well as their passion for "purity".. what better to have strutting through the yard than a white peacock.

SydneyCartonFan
July 25th, 2007, 7:24 pm
I had thought it might be Lucius's animagus form. But that provides a continuity problem.

Tiphany
July 25th, 2007, 7:27 pm
The albino peacock is visually a bit like the Malfoys, isn't it? Handsome and pale and proud...

I think it's there to symbolise the manor - the wealth, the opulence, the traditions.

AWW
July 25th, 2007, 7:30 pm
I think Albino peacocks are just meant to show how wealthy the Malfoy's are as they are very rare and hard to acquire.

Perhaps this is way out of left field and weird (sorry, I'm new), but the Playboy Mansion has several white peacocks and they are said to be one of Hef's prized posessions.

Not that the Malfoy's are like Hugh Hefner or anything...:lol

SydneyCartonFan
July 25th, 2007, 7:32 pm
I think Albino peacocks are just meant to show how wealthy the Malfoy's are as they are very rare and hard to acquire.

Perhaps this is way out of left field and weird (sorry, I'm new), but the Playboy Mansion has several white peacocks and they are said to be one of Hef's prized posessions.

Not that the Malfoy's are like Hugh Hefner or anything...:lol

I think Narcissa would have something to say about that! :lol:

pandabear18788
July 25th, 2007, 7:34 pm
The albino peacock is visually a bit like the Malfoys, isn't it? Handsome and pale and proud...

I think it's there to symbolise the manor - the wealth, the opulence, the traditions.

I agree completely... and I think it is well said.

The peacock could not be any of the Malfoys in animagus form, as they are all seen sitting in the house just moments later. And I don't see any reason for any Death Eater to be casting a Patronus at the Malfoy mansion- there isn't any mention of dementors around.

Quicksilver
July 25th, 2007, 7:37 pm
Here are some interesting facts about the symbolism of peacocks:

In the Buddhist tradition, the peacock’s ability to eat poisonous snakes can be understood as a symbol of the transmutation of evil into good.

It is associated with Japanese and Chinese goddesses of mercy.

For Christians the peacock came to be regarded as a symbol of vanity, they found its usefulness in the idea that just as the beautiful peacock considers its own feet ugly humans should take note and lament their own imperfections no matter how great their worldly glory.

And one of my favorites:

In his Spiritual Couplets, the famous Sufi poet Maulana Jalalu-'D-Din Muhammad Rumi tells the following tale:

A sage went out to till his field, and saw a peacock busily engaged in destroying his own plumage with his beak. At seeing this insane self-destruction the sage could not refrain himself, but cried out to the peacock to forbear from mutilating himself and spoiling his beauty in so wanton a manner. The peacock then explained to him that the bright plumage which he admired so much was a fruitful source of danger to its unfortunate owner, as it led to his being constantly pursued by hunters, whom he had no strength to contend against; and he had accordingly decided on ridding himself of it with his own beak, and making himself so ugly that no hunter would in future care to molest him. The poet proceeds to point out that worldly cleverness and accomplishments and wealth endanger man's spiritual life, like the peacock's plumage; but, nevertheless, they are appointed for our probation, and without such trials there can be no virtue.

Masnavi e Ma’navi, Book V, Story III (E. H. Whinfield, tr.)

Take your pick. I think they all apply to the Malfoy's situation in some respect.

Rezallia
July 25th, 2007, 7:39 pm
I took it as a bit of humor because, I dunno, I think of the insult "peacock", used in reference to someone affluent. Like a "painted peacock." And then Lucius is a small step away from being truly albino. Very close. I thought it was funny. Even though I felt a bit badly for Lucius.

Maybe it was meant to contrast a Lucius in all his glory and the present Lucius who had been sapped of that glory while in Azkaban. I loved the Malfoys's discontent!

But I still thought it was funny. :)

Aestua_Nox
July 25th, 2007, 7:41 pm
That was just too fitting. I don't that there was anything significant or sinister about the peacocks; they just showed how wealthy, pure, etc. the Malfoys are. I can just see a baby Draco petting one....

As for the Patronus comment - I agree, no reason for there to be a Patronus around, especially since, as far as we know, only the Order communicates that way. Besides, on the second page. it's "strutting majestically along the top of the hedge." I'm pretty sure that Patroni fly. :)

Voldemorts8thHorcrux
July 25th, 2007, 7:41 pm
its just a peacock, i think, and it isn't mentioned again after this

Hermione Snape
July 25th, 2007, 7:49 pm
Yep, a peacock; I loved it though. Peacocks happen to be one of my favourite fowl and I've seen a white peacock and my breath caught in my throat ... guess I have the same tastes as Lucius...

griffin_potter
July 25th, 2007, 7:53 pm
I had forgot it was mentioned in the beginning. Thanks! I think your right about the symbolism there it does fit in with the Malfoy's. ;)

quinn10000
July 25th, 2007, 8:24 pm
Indeed...the peacock is appropriate for the Malfoys. As others have said, they symbolize elegance/oppulance, yes. Another has mentioned that they are seen as symbols of vanity and those who are said to strut like them are described as vainglorious. Therefore...the albino peacock is perfect for the Malfoys. A creature regarded as proud and vainglorious...but in this case, drained of its color, the source of its pride. This was the case with the Malfoys. Quite a bit of pomp and vanity, but in the end, drained of the source of their vanity.

RiverIsis
July 25th, 2007, 8:58 pm
I know they are albino peacocks but I remember thinking why would they have peacocks because their feathers are meant to be unlucky...

I have found this

Peacock's Feather Unlucky
(A). The peacock's tail is emblem of an Evil Eye, or an ever-vigilant traitor. The tale is this: Argus was the chief Minister of Osiris, King of Egypt. When the king started on his Indian expedition, he left his queen, Isis, regent, and Argus was to be her chief adviser. Argus, with one hundred spies (called eyes), soon made himself so powerful and formidable that he shut up the queen-regent in a strong castle, and proclaimed himself king. Mercury marched against him, took him prisoner, and cut off his head; whereupon Juno metamorphosed Argus into a peacock, and set his eyes in its tale.

padfootandme
July 25th, 2007, 9:10 pm
I bet the Malfoys just wanted to show that they were greater than others so they could afford to have rare creatures living on their land. I don't think there was anything... significant about them though.

RiverIsis
July 25th, 2007, 9:14 pm
Yet, " an ever-vigilant traitor" describes the Malfoys so well.

Sub Zero
July 25th, 2007, 9:16 pm
Malfoys will be Malfoys. What else says "we live in luxurious grandeur" than an elegant, albino peacock?

I know they are albino peacocks but I remember thinking why would they have peacocks because their feathers are meant to be unlucky...

I have found this

(A). The peacock's tail is emblem of an Evil Eye, or an ever-vigilant traitor. The tale is this: Argus was the chief Minister of Osiris, King of Egypt. When the king started on his Indian expedition, he left his queen, Isis, regent, and Argus was to be her chief adviser. Argus, with one hundred spies (called eyes), soon made himself so powerful and formidable that he shut up the queen-regent in a strong castle, and proclaimed himself king. Mercury marched against him, took him prisoner, and cut off his head; whereupon Juno metamorphosed Argus into a peacock, and set his eyes in its tale.

So that means Argus Filch's animagus is a peacock? ;)

all4music
July 25th, 2007, 9:29 pm
I think the albino peacock was a sly reference to the Malfoy attitude in general. Traditionally peacocks represent vanity. (Ever heard someone accused of strutting around like one?) Also to get albino ones would require careful breeding. To get several on purpose would almost certainly require inbreeding. Sound like anybody we know?

AirForbes77
July 25th, 2007, 10:17 pm
When we first saw the albino peacock in the first chapter and Yaxley says "Lucius always did himself well" I thought that Voldemort had turned Lucius into a peacock as punishment for being so incompetent. :lol:

I was disappointed that it really was only a peacock!

selfdestruct
July 25th, 2007, 11:02 pm
i loved the peacock. i thought it was the perfect touch, because i always associate them with wealth and palaces. quite fitting that the arrogant malfoys would have peacocks in their yard for all to see.

Lairy_Fights
July 26th, 2007, 12:35 am
J.K. Rowling has put too many years into the stories to not consider each word she uses. Two of the things I LOVE about her books are the imagery and symbolism. In fact, discovering the Christian, alchemical, and mythical symbolism and allusions in her books turned me from a casual fan of the books to a real admirer of the author's skills. An albino peacock, then? It must be there for a reason. Quicksilver's list (thanks for that!) is just more evidence of the profundity in the stories.

fang25
July 26th, 2007, 12:43 am
Lots of symbolism, I agree! Personally, I just enjoyed the fact taht it further showed the Malfoy's arrogance in comparison to their falling out from the inner circle of LV to protect Draco. However, I also see peacocks as graceful and feminine and I was reminded of Narcissa.

Onyma
July 26th, 2007, 12:45 am
In Greek mythology, Argus was a Giant with 100 eyes, sent by Hera to guard Io. After Hermes killed him, Hera put his eyes in the tail of the peacock. Same story really, except that this one does not randomly romanize Greek deities and does not turn Egyptian gods into royalty.

stunnedtina
July 26th, 2007, 12:50 am
Interesting to learn these things about peacocks. I never knew the stuff ya'll are talking about with the myths or whatever of peacocks. So I can kind of see the significance and such it had in the book.

I'd never heard of an albino peacock either.

potty4potter
July 26th, 2007, 2:05 am
I am re-reading Goblet of Fire at the moment and I had a small idea...
When they go to the Quidditch World Cup, Harry sees an elaborate castle-like tent with peacocks tethered out the front...it would be interesting if this was the Malfoy's tent. I always wondered where they would stay because I don't see them roughing it in a shabby tent like the Weasley's...

Probably nothing, but just a thought!

meena_beena
July 26th, 2007, 2:34 am
Anyone remember Gilderoy Lockhart? He was the only wizard to use a peacock feather quill. The peacock is a traditional symbol of vanity--I think this fits both characters quite nicely. The albino thing though is a nice touch. I think it means that the Malfoys were exceptionally rare vain people.

Pigleto972001
August 1st, 2007, 6:18 am
When they go to the Quidditch World Cup, Harry sees an elaborate castle-like tent with peacocks tethered out the front...it would be interesting if this was the Malfoy's tent. I always wondered where they would stay because I don't see them roughing it in a shabby tent like the Weasley's...

i like it! it makes sense :)

when i first read the book, i thought initially that the peacock was lucius' patronus, but i guess it was just a real peacock all along. very fitting!

Wab
August 1st, 2007, 6:23 am
Just a bird. Peacocks are a rather gaudy symbol of wealth and arrogance. Albino are rarer and therefore more valuable.

cybobbie
August 1st, 2007, 6:29 am

I agree. Probably just a symbol of wealth, class and also purity (not in the good way, but in the purity of blood).

Iqen
August 1st, 2007, 6:43 am
I'm pretty sure it's just a peacock. The same peacock shows up in the first chapter, when Snape and Yaxley are entering the Malfoy's yard. 'Peacocks! That Lucius always did himself well!' or something like that.
True, Yaxley has said it in the first chapter. So I think , this as proof, that they're just peacocks. As people has said, it's just (one of) the symbols of the Malfoy's wealth and arrogance.

pandabear18788
August 1st, 2007, 6:56 am

Good catch! :tu:

I'd say that it's far more than likely that the tent you spotted with the peacocks out front is, in fact, the Malfoys'. That seems like the kind of thing Lucius would want to do -- take his symbols of wealth and showcase them outside his tent for everyone passing by to see. I have a gut feeling that your observation is not another "Mark Evans theory". :D

persian85033
August 3rd, 2007, 4:23 am
I think they might have been the same peacocks or a clue that the miniature palace with peacocks at the entrance was the Malfoy's.

BlackSerpent7
August 3rd, 2007, 3:58 pm
Hmm, I wonder if the Malfoy's are as "old money" as they act. Albino Peacocks seems like a stunt that would pulled by someone who is "newly rich" or those that spend their newfound wealth on ostentatious show. Whereas, someone who is "old money" might live in what appears to be a more modest house but in reality it was a house that was bought when in was the hieght of upper crust fashion, sort of like Grimmauld Place.
Maybe part of the Weasley-Malfoy feud is that Lucius Malfoy has everything that Arthur Weasley doesn't have except the older family name and more than one heir to carry on that name. Just my two sickles.

Tromos
August 3rd, 2007, 4:16 pm
I think the albino peacock was a sly reference to the Malfoy attitude in general. Traditionally peacocks represent vanity. (Ever heard someone accused of strutting around like one?) Also to get albino ones would require careful breeding. To get several on purpose would almost certainly require inbreeding. Sound like anybody we know?

I particularly like this comment.

Many people have established the peacock as a symbol of vanity, and certainly I would think that appropriate. But an albino of any variety is a genetic anomaly. There is certainly a running, buried theme of inbreeding amongst the "purebloods" that never comes into the open. The danger of inbreeding, of course, is that it increases the risk that dangerous, recessive genetic anomalies will surface.

I see it as one more symbol of purity and arrogance by the Malfoys that, when examined more closely, is really an ugly mutation of the intended beauty.

TheInvisibleF
August 3rd, 2007, 5:00 pm

Probably nothing, but just a thought!I remember laughing when I read about the Peacocks because there was a fanfic up here on CoS a while ago about Tonk's first year as an Auror. In it (as far as I remember) the Malfoy's owned the tent with the Peacocks so I just thought it was great that the author of the fanfic got it right, most likely.

Hmm, I wonder if the Malfoy's are as "old money" as they act. Albino Peacocks seems like a stunt that would pulled by someone who is "newly rich" or those that spend their newfound wealth on ostentatious show. Whereas, someone who is "old money" might live in what appears to be a more modest house but in reality it was a house that was bought when in was the hieght of upper crust fashion, sort of like Grimmauld Place.
Maybe part of the Weasley-Malfoy feud is that Lucius Malfoy has everything that Arthur Weasley doesn't have except the older family name and more than one heir to carry on that name. Just my two sickles.Before I start anything, is wealth the same to wizards as blood status? Because we know that on the Black side Narcissa was pureblood back to the middle-ages. Sirius Black said something about Narcissa and Bellatrix making good or desirable marriages which shows pureblood and wealth in the families they married into.

I love the image of the albino peacocks wandering around Malfoy Manor while all this dark stuff is going on. It also meant that when Harry, Ron and Hermione got snatched we knew where they were a minute or so before they did.

Snapes_Girl
August 3rd, 2007, 6:15 pm
However, I also see peacocks as graceful and feminine and I was reminded of Narcissa.

Me too.

YellowRose
August 3rd, 2007, 6:18 pm

Exactly how I see it. Peacocks have always been linked with the words 'vain' and 'proud' and you can't get whiter than the Malfoys.

chapter33
August 3rd, 2007, 6:39 pm
When we first saw the albino peacock in the first chapter and Yaxley says "Lucius always did himself well" I thought that Voldemort had turned Lucius into a peacock as punishment for being so incompetent. :lol:

I was disappointed that it really was only a peacock!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Here's an interesting thing that I found:
According to feng-shui, Peacocks are a symbol of beauty reminding us to take pleasure in the finer things in life.
That sure sounds Malfoy-ish...

And a pic of a white peacock...
http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/9688/whitepeacocklargemsg113uh4.jpg
[Never liked peacocks in particular but this one looks absolutely GORGEOUS!]

irishmonkey
August 3rd, 2007, 6:47 pm
i thought the white peacock fitted the Malfoys very well. I had this image of a little draco chasing them through the garden.

Wright1771
August 13th, 2007, 9:41 am
White Peacocks, why not...the Malfoy's could afford 'the world' couldn't they?
It wouldn't have surprised me, to see a couple of Bugatti's in the garage, only none of them could drive!

dobby999
August 13th, 2007, 12:10 pm
something just came to me, in the forth book when harry was at the quidditch world cup, he past a tent with what looked like peacocks in the garden, to which arthur weasley says "we can't help showing off when around other wizards". we know that the malfoys were also at the quidditch world cup, could this have been there tent???

sarahlvinpotter
August 13th, 2007, 4:48 pm
I think the malfoys have it there to make a point of how rich, powerful and elegant they think they are. They're very vain.

JJFinch
November 16th, 2009, 5:58 pm
I was looking through some dead threads and found this one, so here's my two cents:

I also thought the peacock was symbolic - when Snape and Yaxley see it, it is described as being "pure white" while Harry sees it as "albino". I think this reflects views of "pure-bloods" - the Death Eaters attribute a value to a chance of birth ("pure") while Harry does not make this value judgment: the peacock just happens to be white, in his eyes.

gipro2003
November 17th, 2009, 7:27 pm
I was looking through some dead threads and found this one, so here's my two cents:

I also thought the peacock was symbolic - when Snape and Yaxley see it, it is described as being "pure white" while Harry sees it as "albino". I think this reflects views of "pure-bloods" - the Death Eaters attribute a value to a chance of birth ("pure") while Harry does not make this value judgment: the peacock just happens to be white, in his eyes.

First off- peacocks with albinism. :p

I like this idea a lot JJFinch, not sure if it was the intention of Rowling as I'm more inclined to agree with the majority that the peacocks are symbolic of the Malfoy family and that they have albinism to represent the family. But I really like your idea of the view of them as having albinism vs. being pure white having something to do with the mindset of those that see them.

captain_mills
November 17th, 2009, 8:13 pm
don't peacocks cry "help"?

JJFinch
November 17th, 2009, 9:50 pm
don't peacocks cry "help"?

:hmm: Sorry?

twinsrule26
November 22nd, 2009, 4:44 am
JKR sure uses birds a lot in her books . Dumbledore has his Phoenix A fire colored bird. Harry has his white or snowy Owl , the Malfoys have their White Peacocks very interesting us of birds with Magical folk .

I agree that the Peacocks represent the Vanity and wealth of the Malfoys .