#12 Grimmauld Place

Mhennig
July 31st, 2007, 7:09 pm
What do you think harry did with 12GP?

I dont think he would live and raise his family there because its a rat hole but i dont think he would just do nothing with it.

I think he probably let kreature have it.

no_seatbelt
July 31st, 2007, 8:16 pm
I dunno, he might raise a family there, its a reminder of Sirius and it wasn't such a bad place once Kreacher had come round and started cleaning and cooking again.

Thatz
July 31st, 2007, 8:20 pm
Yeah, I think that he might have raised his family there. I mean, it was a free house! It wouldn't take that much to fix it up, either. Harry's a wizard, it doesn't matter how old the place is, he can fix it up with some help.

muggledueling
July 31st, 2007, 8:53 pm
At first i thought they might live at his parents house in godric's hollow... but i think harry would have left it as a monument to his parents.

So maybe they cleaned up Number Twelve Grimmauld Place?

any thoughts?

MoonyX
July 31st, 2007, 9:28 pm
I would hope that Harry would raise his family there with Kreacher, I love Kreacher. :) And it is rightfully his, as well as a nice reminder of people he loved, like Sirius and Lupin.

Beatlesrule
July 31st, 2007, 9:30 pm
It's possible but probably only if they could get Sirius's mother's picture off the wall. Life wouldn't be too pleasant listening to her all the time.

dobby_rocks
July 31st, 2007, 9:30 pm
I think Harry may have stayed there for a bit but I really don’t think Harry raised his family there. James II tells Harry he and Al would share a bedroom if Teddy could move in with them. This seems to be saying that the house they live in only has 4 bedrooms. Yet we can guess from OOTP that GP12 has more then just 4 bedrooms- Sirius's room, Regulus's room, Mrs.Black's room, Harry and Ron shared a room, as did Fred and George and Hermione and Ginny. Thats 6 right there, not to mention Molly and Arthur also were staying there so perhaps even 7 bedrooms.

Pollux_Black
July 31st, 2007, 9:38 pm
It's possible but probably only if they could get Sirius's mother's picture off the wall. Life wouldn't be too pleasant listening to her all the time.

Maybe he could wall it up :lol: I'm sure even a portrait would get bored of screaming at a brick wall after a while.

vampiricduck
July 31st, 2007, 9:45 pm
I think they may live closer to Ottery St Catchpole.
Simply because that's where most of the Weasley family lives, and they were all tied to the Weasley's.

I think Grimmauld Place was probably overtaken by Death Eaters. After all, Kreacher never seems to have gone back there, he seems content at Hogwarts after the Trio last left Sirius' old house.

Skooma714
July 31st, 2007, 9:47 pm
Harry probably just kept his stuff there or used it as an office. I would imagine him living closer to the Weasleys and the Lovegoods. Maybe he moved to Godric's Hollow.

ArPharazon
July 31st, 2007, 9:53 pm
I personally feel like Harry will be spending a lot of time at the Burrow, directly after the battle at Hogwarts. In the future, however, I can't imagine him living at Grimmauld Place, nor Godrics Hollow. First off, I'm under the impression that it would be quite difficult to rebuild the house in Godrics Hollow without completely starting over. Besides, it now serves as a memorial to Harrys parents. I hardly think Harry would want to change that. And as for Grimmauld Place, I just feel like it would harbor too many potentially painful memories for he and his family to carry on everyday life. Besides, it was never a very happy place for he or his friends and family anyways.

No, I think the place for Harry to start a family is somewhere new, where he can make his own, happy memories.

Emperor_Gestahl
July 31st, 2007, 10:06 pm
Dmage done by Dark Magic can't be set straight, his parent's house his off. Harry had enough money to buy a new house though, I think that indeed is more likely.

theevilactress
July 31st, 2007, 10:57 pm
12 Grimmauld place dilemma: The charm that has been cast on it would still make it invisible to anyone not knowing the address (this could be potentially problematic when having guests over, especially muggles). If they were to remove the charm the neighbours might start wondering how there is suddenly a 12 GP when there never was one before. The book mentions how the neighbours have accepted that there is an 11 GP and a 13 GP, but no 12 GP. It also mentions by-passers looking up and noticing this. It would be too obvious.

Godric's Hollow pros: The Dumbledore's lived there, as well as Harry's ancestors; the Pevarell's and possibly his parents (just because their hide-out was there doesn't mean they lived there).

Godric's Hollow cons: Harry's family was brutally murdered there, The Dumbledore's died there, he was nearly killed by Nagini there, etc. It seems as if the village is cursed. Would you want to take the risk and raise your children there? I wouldn't.

Ottery St Catchpole: The Weasley's live nearby (except for Bill and Fleur who live on the outskirts of Tinworth), it's a wizard- and muggle friendly community, Lovegood's lived there and maybe still do, the Diggory's live thereThis is the home of a lot of Quidditch Teams and Quidditch arenas. It's both wizard and muggle friendly. Ginny was a high-ranked quidditch-player and retired when she became pregnant with James, but then she became the senior quidditch correspondent for The Daily Prophet. I would make sense for them to live there.

Tinworth: I don't know much about this place, I only know that Bill and Fleur lived (and maybe still do with their children) in Shell Cottage on the "Outskirts of Tinworth".

Upper Flagely: The only place I couldn't find information on that wasn't in Spanish.

There are plenty of other Wizard cities/villages mentioned at www.hp-lexicon.org

My bet is on Ottery St Catchpole. It seems cosy, family friendly, wizard friendly, muggle friendly and just nice. I'd like to live there if I was a witch (like my great grandmother was).

crowheart
August 1st, 2007, 12:09 am
I would imagine, like some previous posters, that 12 Grimmauld place might have been reserved as a 'wizarding office'. It's a good place to keep things that he doesn't want the kids getting into, and possibly a good place to be alone. It already has powerful protections on it, and after all, the house of Black has been greatly redeemed by the knowledge that Regulus was rather a good sort and Kreacher was too. It might also be useful for such things as wizarding parties-the house is invisible and inaudible already, after all. Why bother to take the trouble to sound- and light-proof a house when you already have one that no one will question the goings-on? I imagine he could, under current Ministry, have it connected to the Flue network, which would make life much more convenient.

jjw7804
August 1st, 2007, 12:43 am
I think they most likely lived by the Weasley's, as this would be where Harry felt like he was "home".

ArPharazon
August 1st, 2007, 12:51 am
Yes, I would like also to think he lived very close to the Weasleys. They are, essentially, his family. I can imagine him wanting to be close to them.

stark0912
August 1st, 2007, 1:00 am
I was also thinking Ottery St. Catchpole, since it is so close to the Weasleys and such. It would have been nice to see Harry raise his family in Number Twelve, Grimmuald Place, with help from the newly-reformed Kreacher to clean it up, but I just don't see it happening. Besides, who would want that awful painting of Mrs. Black ever screaming in the halls?

Snapes_Girl
August 1st, 2007, 1:56 am
I don't know if he would have raised his family there. Despite remodeling the home, how would he be able to remove that awful painting of Ms. Black? I don't think he would want to raise his family in that house because of all the memories.

Savvy07
August 1st, 2007, 3:07 am
I think it's a possibility that he raised his family there. Kreacher would be a joy to have around after his little change of heart in DH. Harry probably could have found a way to fix the house up by the time he was old enough for children. He may have also just kept it for the next generation of the Order of the Phoenix or Dumbledore's Army. There are bound to be more Dark Wizards than just Voldemort after all.

Minxie
August 1st, 2007, 3:35 am
Lol, Harry should have kept that Elder Wand around for a little bit longer so he could use it to remove Mrs. Black's portrait. I mean, if it can mend wands just like that, then it's bound to be capable of removing a permanent-stickied portrait.

But on topic, I like the idea of GP12 becoming some kind of office or station for the OotP or Dumbledore's Army (I also like the idea of the DA becoming an official organization/club in the wizarding world ;)). I think dobby_rocks made a good point about how Epilogue!Harry's home apparently has only 4 bedrooms, which basically rules out GP12. So odds are, he and Ginny and the kids have their own cozy house near the rest of their friends and family (probably Ottery St. Catchpole, as some have guessed).

ForeverMonday
August 1st, 2007, 3:51 am
I think Harry may have stayed there for a bit but I really don’t think Harry raised his family there. James II tells Harry he and Al would share a bedroom if Teddy could move in with them. This seems to be saying that the house they live in only has 4 bedrooms. Yet we can guess from OOTP that GP12 has more then just 4 bedrooms- Sirius's room, Regulus's room, Mrs.Black's room, Harry and Ron shared a room, as did Fred and George and Hermione and Ginny. Thats 6 right there, not to mention Molly and Arthur also were staying there so perhaps even 7 bedrooms.

You forgot that Lupin was living there, too which makes eight rooms, plus Buckbeak's room which makes nine. I can see Harry living at 12GP before he got married, unless he just stayed at the Burrow, but I don't see him raising a family there. It would be nice and sentimental, but not a good place to raise a family, especially with Mrs. Black's portrait. His kids wouldn't like the house at all and it wouldn't have any sentimental value at all to them since they didn't know Sirius.

I don't see Harry moving to Godric's Hollow, either. He's had a couple of really bad experiences there and there's no one alive there that he knows.

He probably lives somewhere near the Weasley's or maybe not so near, since distance doesn't seem to make much of a difference. You can floo to anyone's house anytime.

theevilactress
August 1st, 2007, 11:57 am
They couldn't live at 12 GP. It's still hidden from everyone except those who knows the address. If they remove that charm the neighbours will be Very confused over the extra house. I think it serves as headquarters, and I'm sure George can find use of it for his products, maybe they can have family reunions/parties there, just a private place to retreat to every now and again. But permanently living in an invisible house with three kids? They might, one day, need it to keep them safe again so why take the risk by removing the charm?

cupsoftea
August 1st, 2007, 1:02 pm
I like to think Harry and Ginny got their own house together, a new house to start them off. I dont think either Godrics Hollow or Grimmauld Place would hold the greatest memories for Harry, why would he want to settle there?

His happiest times aside from when at school were at The Burrow so I see them settling near enough there.

Liselle
August 1st, 2007, 1:09 pm
Given Harry's past and fame I think Grimmauld (magically speaking) would be as good a place as any for Harry and Ginny to bring up their family. Not only is it safe from Muggles but it's also hidden from magical folk not in on the secret so there's not much of a chance that the family could be badgered for stories and scandal.

Plus it's a link back to Sirius and now that Kreacher is on board with Harry I think it's probably quite a nice place to be. Now all they need to do is get rid of that portrait of Mrs Black!

Emperor_Gestahl
August 1st, 2007, 2:07 pm
Which the combined magical abilty of the Order of the Phoenix couldn't manage. That paining is not coming off. I find it more likey that they'll take Kreacher to whereever they moved.

styphon
August 1st, 2007, 2:21 pm
From the end of the book I think we can take it that they don't live in GP12, agreeing with the comments about it above.

I think it's more likely that they have moved to a new place, probably Ottery St Catchpole to be near the Weasleys, and taken Kreacher with them. I think after all the pain and loss of growing up Harry would have wanted to start a brand new life with Ginny in the only place outside of Hogwarts that Harry has lived happily, Ottery St Catchpole.

liquid_luck
August 1st, 2007, 2:50 pm
I thought that Yaxley got inside the Fidelius Charm, allowing him access to the house, so surely he would have brought others in??? I can't really see Harry raising a family there-it was mentioned in HBP

I thought that Yaxley got inside the Fidelius Charm, allowing him access to the house, so surely he would have brought others in??? I can't really see Harry raising a family there-it was mentioned in HBP that Harry never wanted to set foot in there anyway, the memories of Sirius were too much.

HermyMacGo
August 1st, 2007, 2:54 pm
I also think 12 Grimmauld Place wouldn't be a nice place to live. Although Harry is sentimentally linked with it because of Sirius, it's also, after all, the place where the Blacks had lived and where Bellatrix had probably spent some time. It would be weird for Harry's family to live there, and from the description JKR made of the place in TOOTP, it isn't a very nice place to live.
I think it likely to have become kind of a headquarters for the remaining members of the Ootp.
Or maybe Harry gave it to Teddy, as Sirius gave it to Harry in his will ?

flowerchild
August 1st, 2007, 7:11 pm
I can imagine him giving itto Hermione if she wanted to carry on SPEW as a sort of headquaters. I don't think he would want to live in it, but maybe he would, Kreacher did make it a lot nicer whilst they were staying there didn't he.

chocoholic
August 1st, 2007, 9:12 pm
No, I think the place for Harry to start a family is somewhere new, where he can make his own, happy memories.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree, this seems like the best thing for him to do, as he could just live a new life there.:love:

nobi_fawkes
August 1st, 2007, 9:46 pm
It would be nicer for Harry to live elsewhere, but I think we need to get back on topic and I shall say that The House of Black is housing a born Black. That is to say Andromeda and Teddy live there. Probably even Kreacher. Now that I've said it, it seems unlikely that only 2 people live in such a big house. What thinks you?

underdog
August 1st, 2007, 9:52 pm
I think that Harry and Ginny probably settled down there, but then, when they had the kids, realized that they didn't want to bring them up in the house (with a good chance of that being Mrs. Black's portrait). It would've just been odd for Harry to have his kids sleep in Sirius' or Regalus' rooms. Just my opinion. I could see it becoming sort of a get away for Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny to go to to sort of relax.

nobi_fawkes
August 1st, 2007, 9:56 pm
I think that Harry and Ginny probably settled down there, but then, when they had the kids, realized that they didn't want to bring them up in the house (with a good chance of that being Mrs. Black's portrait). It would've just been odd for Harry to have his kids sleep in Sirius' or Regalus' rooms. Just my opinion. I could see it becoming sort of a get away for Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny to go to to sort of relax.
I like the use you put to it. It makes sense. Do you think maybe it could be used as a party house?

AmesEmoWitch
August 1st, 2007, 11:14 pm
I like to assume that Harry and co redecorated the place and Harry, Ginny and the children are all living there happily. It was Harrys legacy after all. I always thought he would go there after Hogwarts.

He says in DH, ''I've got a house, why would I want this one?'' For me, that sort of proved he'd end up at Grimmauld Place

nobi_fawkes
August 1st, 2007, 11:29 pm
I like to assume that Harry and co redecorated the place and Harry, Ginny and the children are all living there happily. It was Harrys legacy after all. I always thought he would go there after Hogwarts.

He says in DH, ''I've got a house, why would I want this one?'' For me, that sort of proved he'd end up at Grimmauld Place
That's true. Perhaps they did live there after all.

Saskuatch
August 1st, 2007, 11:33 pm
I think Harry lives somewhere near the burrow and he uses 12GP as something like an unofficial office, since snape didn't show any dark wizards how to get in it could still be semi private with only order members and friends able to get to it.

nobi_fawkes
August 2nd, 2007, 12:12 am
I think Harry lives somewhere near the burrow and he uses 12GP as something like an unofficial office, since snape didn't show any dark wizards how to get in it could still be semi private with only order members and friends able to get to it.
Hermione inadvertently let Yaxley in on the location. Who's to say he didn't tell the other Death Eaters?

Jebusrocks
August 2nd, 2007, 2:13 am
I dunno what Harry's gonna use it for, but when he dies, it's gonna be like a tourist attraction, like

This is where Harry Potter (also known as the "Chosen One") and his friends Hermione Granger and Ronald Weasley resided when they were running away from He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. It was also known as the place where the Order of the Phoenix once resided, and also the home of the Black family.

LT_MURGEN
August 2nd, 2007, 8:10 pm
Some facts to consider:

1- Harry has lots of money from his parents
2- Harry has lots more money frombeing the heir to the Black family fortune.
3- Harry has a personal tie (being a Peverell descendent) to Godric’s Hollow.

This all leads me to believe that he would build a new home in the Hollow to live in, possibly demolishing his parent’s old home to do so.

Grimmauld place would make an excellent location for a monument to the struggle against Voldemort.
It was the home to the first and second Order of the Phoenix.
It has a portrait that is an excellent example of the ‘crazy’ mudblood hatred.
It comes with a house elf that would love to tell people about the sacrifices of its owners.

AK_WDB
August 3rd, 2007, 5:28 am
This is an interesting question. As LT_MURGEN says, Harry is not short of money by any means. It's possible that he would go to live in Grimmauld Place with Kreacher; however, even after being cleaned up No. 12 has some undesirable attributes, most notably the portrait of Sirius's mother. I think it's more likely he built a new house somewhere else, possibly Ottery St. Catchpole or Godric's Hollow. He would continue to own No. 12, Grimmauld Place, however...I'm sure he would find a use for it. Kreacher could continue to serve him for a while, though I doubt Kreacher lives all that much longer---he's portrayed as very old.

padfootrules
August 5th, 2007, 1:58 pm
I think Harry will clean it up and live there. Or he will make it into a shrine for Sirius like the way his own house became in Godric's Hollow. Yeah I think he would do that. And I think Sirius would like that too. Of course Sirius would like it even if Harry burnt that place down as well. LOL

EBJ23
August 6th, 2007, 3:25 am
I don't think Harry moved in there. It would make more sense if he stayed there only until he saved some money and then buy a house in Godric's Hollow. The story would sort of come full circle then.

dobbylikesme
August 9th, 2007, 9:51 am
I'd like the idea of him living there at least for a while. It must feel great to just throw open all the windows and get all the dust out and give the place a fresh start.
It could very well be the location of a Harry Potter comedy spin-off:

After all is set and done, Harry looks at his friends and says: "so how DO you lift that Fidelius Charm?" (laughter from audience in the off).

Or Hermione coming in with a big can of white paint and approaching Mrs. Black's portrait. She'll start by painting a big white bar right across her mouth. Mrs. Black of course now muffled, will move around the canvas to be able to see and speak, and rant and scream at her. But Hermione will keep chasing her with the white paint, until eventually she is pushed into one last corner, and then completely erased. That'll shut her up. Later they can use the white canvas to have someone paint a nice picture of Hogwards.

Speaking of portraits, Harry of course will have a bunch of portraits in his office, of Dumbledore, Snape, Sirius, Lupin, his parents, and they will constantly bicker at each other, and drive him mad.

There, see, perfect place for future Potter.

Evil_Voldemort
August 9th, 2007, 9:52 am
Hi. Maybe he is living there with Ginny and his children. Maybe he gave his house to someone else.

jhaqromana
August 9th, 2007, 5:16 pm
I suppose Harry and Ginny would live there. It is not such a bad place and the enchantments on there are perfect to keep them from Muggles.

cupsoftea
August 9th, 2007, 5:58 pm
I'd like the idea of him living there at least for a while. It must feel great to just throw open all the windows and get all the dust out and give the place a fresh start.

After all is set and done, Harry looks at his friends and says: "so how DO you lift that Fidelius Charm?" (laughter from audience in the off).

Or Hermione coming in with a big can of white paint and approaching Mrs. Black's portrait. She'll start by painting a big white bar right across her mouth. Mrs. Black of course now muffled, will move around the canvas to be able to see and speak, and rant and scream at her. But Hermione will keep chasing her with the white paint, until eventually she is pushed into one last corner, and then completely erased. That'll shut her up. Later they can use the white canvas to have someone paint a nice picture of Hogwards.

Speaking of portraits, Harry of course will have a bunch of portraits in his office, of Dumbledore, Snape, Sirius, Lupin, his parents, and they will constantly bicker at each other, and drive him mad.

:lol:

lol I love it!

GodricsHallows
August 9th, 2007, 9:19 pm
At first i thought they might live at his parents house in godric's hollow... but i think harry would have left it as a monument to his parents.

So maybe they cleaned up Number Twelve Grimmauld Place?

any thoughts?

The house at Godric's Hollow is destroyed, and I can't imagine Harry living in the house where his parents were killed... talk about creepy!

On the other hand, No. 12 may have been a dump when they first got there, but it was the house of a rich pure-blood family... and with the combined forrtunes of the Potters and the Blacks to work with, I'm sure he'd have enough money to clean out the rest of the Dark objects left there. It would also be a great house to raise a family in, as the Blacks had lots of kids.. more than enough for 3! It also has a house-elf, which is super-awesome if you ask me.

skedaddle
August 9th, 2007, 9:25 pm
I think that he closed it up. Not to leave Sirius behind or anything, but because he knew that he was going on to a different part of his life in which the house was not needed.

cybobbie
August 9th, 2007, 11:41 pm
I like the option of living in Godric's Hollow better. May be he did find some other use to 12 Grimmauld Place. He could clean up the place but I believe that he would choose to live in a better located place, withou a charm that would make strange to enter and leave the house. And also, after the kids, I picture him living in a place with a garden for the kids and their brooms, to enjoy with their cousins for some Quidditch fun - some place more like the Burrow.

TreacleFudge
August 10th, 2007, 3:55 am
I like the option of living in Godric's Hollow better. May be he did find some other use to 12 Grimmauld Place. He could clean up the place but I believe that he would choose to live in a better located place, withou a charm that would make strange to enter and leave the house. And also, after the kids, I picture him living in a place with a garden for the kids and their brooms, to enjoy with their cousins for some Quidditch fun - some place more like the Burrow.

I like that idea- and I agree, I don't think he will live there permanently.

okmister1
August 10th, 2007, 8:17 am
I don't know if Harry used the house for a family dwelling or as an office, but he definately kept in and maintained it. As for the picture, just because a wizard couldn't get it down doesn't mean Kreacher couldn't. I'll bet Kreacher has his own room and that painting is on the wall next to that amulet. I'll also bet you that whenever Harry runs across a Black Family heirloom in the market, he gets it for the elf.

What I really wonder, and this is a bit sick. Does Kreachers head end up on the wall in accordance to his wishes or does Harry convince him to accept a less gruesome memorial.

doctorjimmy
August 10th, 2007, 1:02 pm
For some reason I cant imagine Harry and Ginny settling at Grimmauld Place. I could maybe see Harry, Ginny, Ron and Hermione living there after they finished school for a few years but I don't see them settling there for the long run. I would imagine that they would prefer the country where flying around on broomsticks might not be as noticable.

snuffles_13
August 11th, 2007, 6:21 am
i dont think that harry will live there with ginny and the kids. i can see him ginny ron and hermione going bac there after everything has settled down. cleaning out the place and then finding some kid of use for it. maybe just for a place of refuge for any of the order who wants to go when they feel like it. almots like they will all share it. cus i see harry and ginny living near the burrow like next door to ron and hermione. with a huge combined garden where they'd play quidditch with their kids (james the new seeker in the fam ;).) while hermione watched between the pages of her books haha.

YellowRose
August 11th, 2007, 9:24 am
Harry seemed to like Shell cottage, so perhaps he ended up with Ginny somewhere by the sea. I just can't see him living at Grimmauld Place volentarily..after all it is a grim old place! :p

RMS_Rocket
August 12th, 2007, 10:59 am
I don’t think Harry and Ginny would live in Harry’s parents’ house in Godric’s Hallow. I agree with other posts that he would have left it as a monument to his parents and those who had died defeating LV in the second war. I have to admit that Dobby_rocks post (and Forever Monday‘s addition to it) has really captured my imagination. I like the idea that Harry and Ginny would have lived at 12 GP and I believe that this house has about twelve bedrooms (which in the epilogue are being used as follows: two not used (Sirius' and Regulus'), four used as bedrooms, three as guest bedrooms, one as a kids play room/library/school room and two as offices - keep reading for further details). Here’s why. After Harry arrives at 12GP for the first time Hermione comments to Harry that they (the Weasleys and her presumably) have been busy decontaminating the house and have managed to clean out the majority of the bedrooms (OOTP p 66) already (amongst other rooms). When Harry arrives at 12GP we can work out that seven bedrooms are probably being occupied i.e. (1) Sirius, (2) Lupin, (3) Molly and Arthur, (4) Fred and George, (5) Harry and Ron, (6) Hermione and Ginny, and (7) Buckbeak is staying in Mrs Black’s old bedroom. Given the amount of cleaning/decontaminating to be done (!) if you work on the theory that their efforts would be concentrated on cleaning out enough bedrooms for their needs and that these seven bedrooms probably make up the ‘majority’ that Hermione is referring to (What do you think? A reasonable assumption?) and then add another five more bedrooms to make up the ‘minority’ of the remaining bedrooms (one of which I assume is Regulus’ old bedroom because I can’t see anyone sleeping in his room given what they thought of him during OOTP) then I think 12 bedrooms is a reasonable estimate for 12 GP. Another clue is offered in Deadly Hallows. Harry makes a point of noting that there are only two bedrooms on Level 5 i.e. Sirius’ bedroom and Regulus’ bedroom (DH p. 147, 153). If you combine Harry and Hermione’s comments, and take into account the other non-bedroom rooms that we know about (see below for details) this seems to imply that 12GP is a big enough townhouse mansion to accommodate three bedroom per level unless one of the rooms is being used for a non-bedroom purpose.

I reckon that by the time that James, Albus and Lily are old enough to be in their own bedrooms that Ginny and Harry are utilizing 12GP’s rooms as below. This could explain James’ comment in the epilogue that he would be happy to share a bedroom with Albus so that Teddy could move into his bedroom. This means that the house that Ginny and Harry are living in isn’t necessarily a new one that only has 4 bedrooms as Dobby_rocks has suggested. I have given HP book and page references that indicate what we know about the room i.e. its existence and/or the level that the room is located on if Rowling has made it known. I have also given extra details on each room in the notes section using *1*, *2*, *3* etc:

Level 6 - Attic (OOTP p. 456) split into a storage space for items including retained Black furniture etc and a purpose built House Elf bedroom/sitting area (with elf-sized beds) for Kreacher, his wife and children. I know Kreacher is old but I sentimentally I like to think that he has a few years left in which to enjoy a family of his own (and leave some descendents to care for future Potter generations).

Level 5 – Sirius’ bedroom (DH p. 147) and Regulus’ bedroom (DH p. 153) *1*. Neither bedroom is used on a regular basis. Sirius’ primarily because it would cause too much sibling rivalry if one sibling was given exclusive use of it (although James, Albus and Lily would probably sneak into Sirius’s Bedroom anyway on occasion as would Harry to reminisce) and Regulus’ as a mark of respect. (Perhaps one of Harry and Ginny’s descendents who was sorted into Slytherin might have occupied Regulus’ old bedroom eventually though).

Level 4 - Mrs Black’s old bedroom (OOTP p. 95 *2*) , Harry’s Office, and Ginny’s Office. Harry and Ginny are currently occupying Mrs Black’s old bedroom. I like to think that it is the master bedroom suite and therefore suitable for a husband and wife. Harry’s office is used for keeping up with his Auror paperwork and for holding private meetings with Aurors about dark wizard activities. Ginny’s Office is used for her senior Quidditch Correspondent duties for The Daily Prophet . I can see both offices being kept magically locked when not in use to keep things safe from little fingers.

Level 3 - Guest Room 1 (OOTP p. 76 *3*), Guest Room 2 (OOTP p. 150 *4*), Guest Room 3 (*5*) and a toilet (*6*). Molly and Arthur Weasley continue to use Guest Room 1 (their old bedroom) when they stay over. George and Fred’s old bedroom (Guest Room 2) is frequently used as a spare bedroom as is Guest Room 3.

Level 2 - Lupin’s old bedroom (OOTP p. 110 *7*), Harry and Ron’s old bedroom (OOTP p. 60 *8*), and combination kids’ library room/kids play room/pre-Hogwarts home school room. James is currently using Lupin’s old bedroom and Lily is currently using Harry and Ron’s old bedroom. Given the nature of their relationship I am guessing that Harry wouldn’t want James and Albus having bedrooms on the same level any more than he would want them sharing a bedroom! The third room on this level is used as a combination kids’ library room/kids play room/pre-Hogwarts home school room and has Phineas’s portrait in it. I can imagine James, Albus and Lily being homeschooled through the efforts of Ginny, Molly Weasley and a tutor/babysitter (maybe Professor McGonagall). They would probably work out a schedule that suits all and the kids would have some lessons in this room and some at The Burrow. This would give Ginny time to be at home to raise their children as Rowling has mentioned in her webchat as well as attend Quidditch matches and write her articles etc. Some Quidditch articles would probably be written in this room rather than in her office when she is supervising her kids’ schoolwork.

Level 1 – Drawing Room (DH p. 143) *9*, bathroom (DH p. 145) *10*, and Herminone and Ginny’s old bedroom (OOTP p. 42 *11*). Herminone and Ginny’s old bedroom is currently being used by Albus and the Drawing Room is the family’s main living room.

Ground Floor – Front door (OOTP p. 58), Hall (OOTP p. 59), and Dining Room (OOTP p. 109).

Basement – Kitchen (OOTP pp. 157, 168) *12* including a Walk-in Pantry (OOTP p. 424), Fireplace (connected to floo network – OOTP p. 589) and Kreacher’s old cupboard (OOTP p. 445) *13*.

Notes Section

*1*We know Sirius’ bedroom in on the topmost landing presumably underneath the attic and that Regulus’ bedroom is on the other side of the landing on the same floor as Sirius’ bedroom. I am guessing that Sirius used this bedroom before his death – it would probably be the room (in a house he hated) that he would feel most comfortable in.

*2*We don’t know the exact location of this bedroom – we just know that it is upstairs and that Sirius kept Buckbeak here. I have put it on this level. I imagine the room has been well cleaned after Buckbeak’s use of it of course!

*3* We don’t know the exact location of Molly and Arthur’s bedroom but we know that they were staying in the house at the time and I think we can safely assume that as a married couple they had have had a bedroom to themselves. I have placed them on the same level as Fred and George because it seems fitting that Molly would want to keep an eye (and ear) out for her troublesome twins!

*4*We know George and Fred’s bedroom was directly above Harry and Ron’s bedroom because Harry and Ron heard them laughing directly above them.

*5* Using the clues given by Harry and Hermione discussed above I like to think that a third bedroom exists on this level.

*6* I seem to recall that Harry has a vision of LV’s thoughts while hiding in an upstairs toilet away from the others but I can’t find the page reference. Please post it if you can locate it. I have placed it here as I think it makes sense to have an extra toilet for the upper levels and a bathroom on the lower living levels.

*7* We know that Lupin was staying in the house off and on. Although nothing is said explicitly we can probably assume (as other posts have) that given the size of the house, and the fact that Lupin was an adult, that he probably wasn’t sharing a room with Sirius like the teenage Harry and Ron were doing. I have placed Lupin’s old bedroom on this level for lack of a better place!

*8*Rowling tells us that Harry and Ron’s bedroom is on the second floor.

*9* Rowling tells us that the Drawing Room is on the first floor.

*10* Rowling implies that the bathroom is on the first floor because Harry rushes to it from the Drawing Room without going up or down any stairs.

*11*Rowling tells us that Hermione and Ginny’s bedroom is on the first floor.

*12* Rowling tells us that the kitchen is located in the basement.

*13* Rowling tells us that Kreacher’s den is located in the boiler cupboard. I like to think that this cupboard is now empty or used for kitchen odds and ends.

I don’t see the 12GP’s GLOOMY AIR argument as a reason why Harry and Ginny would not live at 12GP. I tend to assume that working bees would be organized at some stage (either before the Trio return for Hogwarts for their 7th year or after they finish their 7th year) to gradually transform the house (magic could speed this up though). I think this transformation would certainly have been completed either by the time that James is born or during Ginny’s pregnancy with him. Certainly re-wallpaper the entire house in light airy colours, transfiguring the Serpent’s head door knobs into Gryffindor Lion’s head door knobs (or retiring them to Kreacher’s attic bedroom), repainting the front door with a fresh coat of paint (at night so the Muggles don’t notice anything) and gradually replacing the gloomy furniture and fittings such as the troll-leg umbrella leg stand, the threadbare carpets, the moth-eaten curtains, and the old-fashioned gas lamps that hardly give off any light would improve the place immensely. I think Harry (with respect to Kreacher’s feelings) would keep most of the existing furniture and either let Kreacher use it in his House-Elf bedroom/sitting room or keep it in the other part of the attic. I don’t think much would be thrown out except perhaps some of the threadbare carpets (unless Kreacher wanted them for his attic). House-elf magic and wizarding magic would take care of the grimy windows, the dust, and the cobwebs. With the characters’ post-war happiness and Kreacher’s transformed personality all in all 12GP would be a pleasurable place to live!.

I don’t think Sirius’ mother’s portrait (and possibly the other screaming Hall portraits) argument is insurmountable either. I reckon these can be removed. Pollux_Black has suggested that Harry could wall up Sirius’s mother’s picture. This could work. Another idea would be for Harry and Ginny to either ….(a) attach a glass covering in front of the screaming portrait(s) and magically soundproof the glass coverings with a charm similar to the Muffilo charm that Harry has become so fond of which would prevent her/them from hearing anything and so shut her/them up or ….(b) perhaps a Wizard (or Witch) Architect could magically drill around the section of the wall that Sirius’ mother’s picture is permanently attached to, removing that section of the wall, and then replace that new section of the wall with a new one. (After all, magic – with the help of the giants – certainly managed to rip away a section of the Hogwarts castle wall so it does seem possible in theory to do this). They could then repair the old and new sections of the wall using the Reparo spell to merge the new section with the existing wall. Out of respect for Kreacher’s feelings Harry might move the screaming portrait(s) – particularly Mrs Black’s – to the attic so that Kreacher could still visit it if he wants or at least know that it remains in his old Mistress’s house and then dispose of the portraits after he dies. Kreacher’s feelings do need to be considered because …(a) they are important for maintaining a House Elf’s loyalty and ….(b) because Hermione (my favourite character) would make her disapproval obvious if Harry did not consider Kreacher’s feelings and … (c) the laws that Hermione will help write/has written would probably come back to haunt Harry if he didn’t! Either of these suggestion could enhance the appeal of 12GP significantly!

I like to imagine that the “12GP is not close to The Burrow” or the “12GP is not like The Burrow” argument is not much of a problem. After all, in COS Harry makes it clear that the thing that Harry liked most about The Burrow is “that everyone who lived there liked him” (unlike at the Dursleys). It was more the people in it rather than the house itself (although he is certainly fond of it.) Assuming that The Burrow wasn’t burned to the ground by the Death Eaters after Bill moved most of the Weasley family to Aunt Muriel’s Fidelous Charm protected house I agree with ArPharazon that Harry will probably “spend a lot of time at The Burrow directly after the battle of Hogwarts”. In the immediate aftermarth of the Hogwarts battle I can see Harry offering to let Dedalus Diggle (we know that the Death Eaters burned down his house) and any other homeless Order members stay there for as long as they needed while he and his friends were finishing their schooling. Dedalus of course helped keep (I hope) the Dursleys safe so I think Harry would think it was the least he could do. Although I agree that Harry and Ginny would eventually want (as cybobbie argues) a “place with a garden for the kids and their brooms, to enjoy with their cousins for some Quidditch fun” this doesn’t necessarily mean that they would forfeit the opportunity to live in a free house or sell it in order to purchase a country-side house like The Burrow or live near The Burrow in order to enjoy this lifestyle. Travelling is not a problem in the magical world and I am sure that Grandma and Grandpa Weasley would not object to James, Albus and Lily visiting The Burrow using Floo powder so that they could fly their broomsticks and play Quidditch in the Weasley’s paddock (or rather over it). Harry and Ginny could always buy a paddock of their own for this purpose if necessary (Harry has enough money to do so). Anyway, judging from the HP series flying on their broomsticks is more of a Summer activity (more pleasurably anyway) so the necessity for having a house with a backyard doesn’t seem all that crucial.

I see Harry and Ginny’s use of 12GP (and its many rooms) changing over the nineteen years between the Battle of Hogwarts and the epilogue – this is to be expected. As nobi_fawfes and underdog have both alluded to I can see the advantages to Harry and Ginny for living at 12GP (particularly before their children are born) because it has ample space (and spare bedrooms when required) to be able to host regular get-togethers with Harry’s Auror mates and Ginny’s Quidditch team mates. Living at 12 GP would be very convenient for Harry and Ginny in this respect as they would certainly have enough bedrooms to accommodate everyone (which would not be the case at the Burrow). I assume that the other Weasley family members etc would be invited to most of the parties so Harry would still have his surrogate family fully involved in his life even if he and Ginny were living at 12GP. However, as Auror training and Quidditch training/competing schedules both seem fairly time-consuming I doubt they would be having parties every night!. I imagine that Harry and Ginny (accompanied by Herminone and Ron of course) would use 12GP as a place to catch up with their DA mates, surviving OOTP members, Harry’s old Quidditch team members and their assorted partners and of course also visit these people at their respective houses on occassion … ie normal twenties type activities. I think Harry and Ginny would still visit The Burrow frequently for Weasley family dinners, parties, visits etc but The Burrow’s role in Harry’s life would just shift as it normally does during a person’s twenties. I can imagine Harry and Ginny and Molly and Arthur taking it in turns to host parties for Harry’s Auror activities and Ginny’s Quidditch responsibilities which would keep Molly and Arthur involved in Harry and Ginny’s social life. In the warmer months Molly and Arthur would probably host more of the parties so that they could take advantage of The Burrow’s backyard and the younger guests (and the young at heart) could ride their broomsticks over the Weasley’s paddock. The trio, their partners and Kreacher would probably assist Mrs Weasley with the cooking (they are now adults of course). Depending on the size of the party some of the food would probably be cooked at The Burrow and some of the food at 12 GP and they would transport the food to the party using Floo powder or Elf-apparation. And then depending on the size of the party if any of their guests wished to stay the night they could either stay at the Burrow or at 12 GP – the size of 12 GP would certainly be an asset. In the colder months the cooking arrangements would probably be continued but Harry and Ginny would host more of the parties because The Burrow has been established in the series to be too small to accommodate large numbers eating inside. So 12 GP’s general size and its dinning room would be a practical place to hold larger parties during the colder months when it would be uncomfortable to eat outside. In winter smaller parties could continue to be held in 12GP’s kitchen.

I am inclined to think that the problem with the protective charms argument can be overcome as well. The unplottable charms that Sirius’ father placed on 12GP would have to an advantage for Harry and Ginny – considering Harry aversion to his fame, and the hazards associated with his Auror responsibilities. I don’t think the unplottable charm would cause any complications if he wanted to invite Muggle guests to his place. Considering that Mr and Mrs Granger have been able to access Diagon Alley, the ministry have been known to take Muggles occasionally to St Mungo’s for treatment, and Petunia and her parents were presumably able to go through the magical barrier onto Platform 9 3/4 (all of which Muggles are normally unable to access) I tend to think that certain Muggles have had a charm performed on them that permits these individuals access to normally non-Muggle places including magical houses such as 12GP. I would love to see the expression on Uncle Vernon’s face if he were to visit 12GP after Harry’s new home has been restored to its former grandeur! The Fidelius Charm that Dumbledore applied to 12GP is trickier but here are my theories for why I don’t Yaxley’s accidental entry into 12GP would deter Harry Potter from living there. THEORY ONE: ….Yaxley, who of course accidentally penetrated the perimeter of the Fidelius Charm (but didn’t become secret-keeper) was defeated in the final battle by George Weasley and Lee Jordan and is presumably in custody. I can imagine that, in the interests of Harry Potter’s safety, Yaxley would be given the truth serum and forced to reveal which Death Eaters he side-apparated into 12GP. I tend to think that LV, who is known to operate alone and rigidly control his death eaters would have either gone alone with Yaxley or would have only permitted Yaxley to side-apparate a handful of the inner circle Death Eaters in at most. Considering that the most of the inner circle are either dead or in custody I think that they would be able to modify Yaxley’s memory as well as any of the other Death Eaters’ memories that Yaxley side-apparated into 12 GP to contain the threat to Harry’s family if one exists. THEORY TWO: Our knowledge of exactly how the Fidelius Charm works is incomplete at best but it does seem possible for the Fidelius Charm to be lifted. We know that the Fidelius Charm on James and Lily Potter’s cottage in Godric’s Hallow stopped working somehow because it became visible to the Muggle world and the wizarding community after the Potters’ death even how the Potter cottage’s secret keeper Peter Pettigrew was still alive but in hiding as a rat at the time of the Potters’ death. This is evident because Hagrid notes that he got Harry out of the cottage before the “Muggles started to swarm around it” and in DH Harry notes that the noticeboard in front of his parents’ cottage has graffiti on it (from the wizarding community) “dating back 16 years”. So it seems as if the surviving Order members could use dark magic on 12GP to cause the existing Fidelius Charm to either lift or dilute its power enough so that another Fidelius Charm could be applied without having to wait for all the present secret keepers to die. THEORY THREE: Surely Fidelius Charms were widely applied to magical houses in the first war against LV. I imagine that these charms were lifted from these houses by their secret keepers’ when LV disappeared. Harry certainly has no problem seeing The Burrow when he first visits it (and neither Ron, Fred or George tell Harry its exact address either). This house appears to be old enough to have been in use during the first war by some wizarding family. I like to think that The Burrow did have the Fidelius Charm applied to it during the first war by either Arthur Weasley’s parents or The Burrow’s previous owners (as did most other wizarding houses). As the Fidelius Charm is a powerful ‘good’ charm (not a Dark one) I tend to think that it would have to be liftable otherwise the residual effects of Fielius Charms would pose too much of a danger to the long-term safety of the wizarding community if the charm could not be safely reapplied when the need arose – it would tend to defeat the purpose of this protective charm!

Kimagine
August 14th, 2007, 2:27 am
:wow: RMS_Rocket -- that was VERY thorough!!! :tu:
I do think Harry would live here -- it certainly would be roomy enough, and I think that, now that Harry has Kreacher's support, he and Ginny could make it a wonderful, welcoming home. Harry and Ginny, their post-Hogwarts careers considered, would certainly be financially secure and able to live anywhere -- but this is someplace he began to feel at-home in. Kreacher would love another family to care for. And I think that, given enough time, Harry might have even gotten that horrid tapestry off the wall -- possibly even the portrait of Mrs. Black... :lol:

Chloe
August 14th, 2007, 2:48 pm

:lol:
hahahha.
that made me laugh.

I think he'll buy a place in Godric's Hollow.
I think he'll visit Grimmauld once in a while, but he definitely won't stay there.

biscuitsforall
August 14th, 2007, 7:42 pm
He would surely be most likely to stay near the Weasley's. Ginny herself is a Weasley, and I can't imagine that they would want to be far away, even if they can apparate whenever they please. And I also think that Harry is the sort of character that would want a fresh start away from all the horrific events he would associate with 12GP. Maybe?

RemusLupinFan
August 15th, 2007, 1:48 am
Somehow I don't see Harry raising his family in Grimmauld Place; I'd have to agree that Ottery St. Catchpole seems a more likely place for him to settle down. Or perhaps Godric's Hollow. Maybe Harry gave the house to Ron or someone who needed/wanted it.

Voldemorts8thHorcrux
August 15th, 2007, 2:07 am
kreacher fixed it up pretty good in Deathly Hallows. He could raise a family there. He said that he wanted to move in to Sirius once.

rikaros
August 15th, 2007, 2:42 am
Kreacher is owned by Harry, he doesn't have to stay at the house. I'd like to think that Harry, being the head Auror, uses #12 as a safe house for witches and wizards who need protecting.

Seeing as the majority of the Death Eaters are either dead or in Azkaban, it would be fitting to use the place as a hideout!

RMS_Rocket
August 18th, 2007, 7:24 am
:wow: RMS_Rocket -- that was VERY thorough!!! :tu:
I do think Harry would live here -- it certainly would be roomy enough, and I think that, now that Harry has Kreacher's support, he and Ginny could make it a wonderful, welcoming home. Harry and Ginny, their post-Hogwarts careers considered, would certainly be financially secure and able to live anywhere -- but this is someplace he began to feel at-home in. Kreacher would love another family to care for. And I think that, given enough time, Harry might have even gotten that horrid tapestry off the wall -- possibly even the portrait of Mrs. Black... :lol:

Thanks for the comment. Unfortunately I do tend to be very thorough! It can get a bit annoying at times!

Mmmm. I hadn't considered the tapestry.

Perhaps instead of trying to remove the tapestry Harry might have magically readded Sirius' name to it as well as the names of the other Black descendents that Mrs Black (and probably others before her) had blasted off the family tree when they had been disowned. A kind of poetic justice. I think Harry might have seen the funny side to adding his own family's names to it as well as the names of all the blood traitor Weasleys and Tonks - if she was still at 12GP Mrs Black's portrait would have been furious!:love:

Harry might have wanted to hang onto the tapestry (in spite of Sirius' feelings towards it) because it reminds him of Sirius - he could always cover that wall with a hanging of some kind if he didn't want to stare at it all the time or it didn't go with the decor of the room after he and Ginny have redecorated it!

twinsrule26
August 18th, 2007, 7:31 am
Harry in my opinion couldn't raise a family in that house his kids would be unable to see the house at they were never told about the house by dumbledore .

RMS_Rocket
August 18th, 2007, 8:19 am
Harry in my opinion couldn't raise a family in that house his kids would be unable to see the house at they were never told about the house by dumbledore .

The issue of the Fidelous Charm is a tricky one because we don't have all the facts about how this charm works and how it can be applied and removed - please see my original post for my thoughts.

However, I would like to respectively point out that even if Dumbledore's charm can't be removed from 12GP (and my original post argues that it probably can) Harry's kids would be able to see this house because upon Dumbledore's death the Trio (as well as all of the Order members) automatically became Secret Keepers for 12GP (Mr Weasley tells us so in DH). As such, Harry and Ginny's kids would be able to see 12 GP from the time that they are first taken over the perimeter of the Fidelous Charm (probably when they are first taken home as babies from St Mungo's) in the same way that Yaxley was able to see 12GP when Herminone accidently took Yaxley within the perimeter of 12GP's Fidelous Charm. Alternatively, Harry's kids would still be able to see 12GP because Harry, as a secret keeper, would be free to tell his kids the location of 12GP.

lil_snuffles
August 18th, 2007, 5:25 pm
Maybe Kreacher kept it for his own use. (Though its a very big house and he doesnt use the entire house) Maybe Harry goes to visit Kreacher sometimes?

Hermionerules87
August 18th, 2007, 5:38 pm
I would really like to think that Harry and Ginny brought there family up there, did it up just how they wanted it... with Kreacher running around doing his own thing... If they didnt then i dont think it show much love and respect on Harrys behalf, i mean not naming one of your children after him and then not living in his house, which he left you, his last wishes which you dont forfill. lack of respect.

loonyluna0114
August 18th, 2007, 6:37 pm
I think itd be nice to raise a family there once they had done it up abit, it doesnt seem to bother Harry much any more the fact that Sirius hated the house so why let it go to waste. Why fork out more gold when theres a perfectly good house not being used

xoxtapdancexox
August 18th, 2007, 8:24 pm
probably

well, it's more a cance than him living where his parents lived before. i mean, it'll cause grief for him and it's best to be considered as a monument.

Peg
August 18th, 2007, 9:31 pm
probably

well, it's more a cance than him living where his parents lived before. i mean, it'll cause grief for him and it's best to be considered as a monument.

Not to mention that the house in Godric's Hollow doesn't appear to have been nearly as big as Grimmauld Place- not as much room for kids, etc. Remember, Kreacher did fix Grimmauld Place up durring DH. I like to think that Harry would go back there now that it's safe again, remove the Fidelius Charm (Flitwick or someone undoubtedly knows how to do that), and move in. It is, after all, the only place besides Hogwarts, The Burrow, and Godric's hollow where he's felt at home (I think he seems to in DH, at any rate), and the others are not exactly available.

CleanSweepSeven
August 21st, 2007, 5:44 am
I could see Harry and Ginny and their children living there.

Definitely not Andromeda and Teddy. I don't think Andromeda had too many happy memories of that house. I imagine she resented the Black family as much as Sirius did. She married a muggle born after all, so she probably disapproved of the Black family's pure-blood mania. Actually, I would be very interested in knowing about her past. Did she run away from home, like Sirius did? Did any of her family come to her wedding? Hmmm...

dobby_rocks
August 21st, 2007, 6:02 am
I’m sure Andromeda stayed in the home where I imagine Tonks was raised and she had many memories she and her husband there. I always imaged Ginny and Harry getting a place near Ginny’s parents. Not like next door but in the same generally area like the Lovegood living a few hills over. Kreacher came with the house so as long as Harry owned the house, Kreacher would be his, and could live anywhere Harry lived.

I liked the idea of him using the house as sort of a safe house or something.

laffytaffygurl
August 21st, 2007, 6:31 pm
I’m sure Andromeda stayed in the home where I imagine Tonks was raised and she had many memories she and her husband there. I always imaged Ginny and Harry getting a place near Ginny’s parents. Not like next door but in the same generally area like the Lovegood living a few hills over. Kreacher came with the house so as long as Harry owned the house, Kreacher would be his, and could live anywhere Harry lived.

I liked the idea of him using the house as sort of a safe house or something.

I also like the idea of using as a safe house too. It would bring back too many memories for him to actually live there I think.

Wright1771
August 30th, 2007, 9:27 am
A safe house...yes, but would Harry go back there to live? I think Kreacher would go with Harry, where ever Harry decided to go. Maybe he'd stay at the Weasleys for a bit, to catch his breath. But, once married, Harry and Ginny would rather have a cottage with grass, open fields.....somewhere to raise kids. 12GP, is nowhere to raise kids!

FleurduJardin
September 2nd, 2007, 4:43 am
I wonder, do the 5 Potters (Harry, Ginny, James, Albus and Lily) live in Grimmauld Place, and is Kreacher their house elf? If not, where do they live and what happened to Kreacher?

One of the cutest scenes in DH - which I re-read for light amusement from time to time after having gone through a particularly dramatic and painful chapter - is a clean, immaculately dressed and groomed Kreacher telling "Master Harry" to wipe his feet and wash his hands before dinner, and worrying like a mother (or a good cook) when Harry doesn't clean up his plate. :love:

I'm also still thinking what a waste, about that steak-and-kidney pie he was preparing when the trio set out for the Ministry of Magic. :drool:

wickedwickedboy
September 2nd, 2007, 7:25 am
Well there were a lot of things at #12 that Harry would treasure. Pictures of the Marauders, maybe more letters and notes of Sirius' - also momentos and such. There were the moto mags which he'd likely want since JKR said he eventually got the bike back. I imagine he figured out a way to get the pictures off of the wall and carried everything away to his home. Maybe he would refurbish it and use it in conjunction with his work - a place for the off duty Aurors to go and relax and such.

FleurduJardin
September 2nd, 2007, 7:05 pm
I could see Harry and Ginny and their children living there.

Definitely not Andromeda and Teddy. I don't think Andromeda had too many happy memories of that house. I imagine she resented the Black family as much as Sirius did. She married a muggle born after all, so she probably disapproved of the Black family's pure-blood mania. Actually, I would be very interested in knowing about her past. Did she run away from home, like Sirius did? Did any of her family come to her wedding? Hmmm...

I don't think Andromeda grew up at Grimmauld Place. She's a cousin of the Blacks, not a sister to Sirius and Regulus. That house was Sirius and Regulus parents' house, not their uncles and aunts'.

I made the same point when Bellatrix referred to the Malfoy Manor as "our family home". She and Narcissa are Blacks, Bellatrix is not a Malfoy, so her brother-in-law's family home is not hers, even if he offered it to Voldemort as a headquarters in the last book. Before that, Voldemort and Wormtail were staying in the old Riddle house, and Bellatrix and her husband in their own home, wherever that may have been, before they were sent to Azkaban.

Good question about whether Andromeda ran away from home. I'm sure no one from the Black family attended her wedding, with the exception of Sirius. (Hmmm. I wonder if he was best man there too? I doubt it, though.) Certainly not Cissy and Bella! :no:

So getting back to Kreacher, do you think he's busy making steak and kidney pies for the Potters?

Kreacher is owned by Harry, he doesn't have to stay at the house. I'd like to think that Harry, being the head Auror, uses #12 as a safe house for witches and wizards who need protecting.

Seeing as the majority of the Death Eaters are either dead or in Azkaban, it would be fitting to use the place as a hideout!

I don't follow your logic. Protecting from who, considering Death Eaters are in prison or on the run? Why should witches and wizards need a safe house or a hideout?

Besides, the house is not "safe" any more, not since Hermione unwittingly let Yaxley in past the Fidelius Charm. It's a house like any other now, if a big gloomier than most, but then Kreacher can clean it up, Harry and Ginny can have some renovation work done, enlarging windows, etc. Maybe make it visible to Muggles, since they'll have to get in and out of it constantly, what with 3 kids around and probably more to come.

Muggle_Magic
September 2nd, 2007, 8:01 pm
Good question about whether Andromeda ran away from home. I'm sure no one from the Black family attended her wedding, with the exception of Sirius. (Hmmm. I wonder if he was best man there too? I doubt it, though.) Certainly not Cissy and Bella!

Sirius once referred to Andromeda as "his favorite cousin", so I'm sure he went to the wedding, especially as she was marrying a Muggle-born, which would have delighted him. He was probably not best man there, I don't think. He probably didn't know Ted Tonks well if hat all though they must have run into each other at Hogwarts - if they were about the same age. I somehow have the impression that 'Meda, Cissy and Bella were a bit older than the Gang of Four.

Narcissa and Bellatrix, along with their parents, disowned Andromeda right away when she married Ted Tonks, one of them says something to that effect in the first chapter of DH.

But they were still all Blacks, which is why Kreacher went to them when Sirius told him to "get out!" - Of course he didn't go to the Tonks, he went to the sisters who married purebloods. :rolleyes:

Leon_Lionheart
September 2nd, 2007, 8:49 pm
I'm thinking Harry got his own house but still owns Grimmauld Place, thereby owning Kreacher. I doubt Harry would have abandoned Kreacher to an empty house after seeing how bad that made him the first time, and I don't think he'd have given Kreacher away to a potentially unpleasant master. Kreacher is probably serving Harry's family in some quaint little country house, someplace where you can see the sky, you know. :)

Muggle_Magic
September 2nd, 2007, 10:04 pm
I don't think Andromeda grew up at Grimmauld Place. She's a cousin of the Blacks, not a sister to Sirius and Regulus. That house was Sirius and Regulus parents' house, not their uncles and aunts'.

Talking about cousins - I take it you all realize Tom Riddle (descended, through the Gaunts/Slytherin', from the second Peverill brother) and Harry (descended through the third Peverill brother) are actually distant cousins?

They sure would have disowned each other! :D

So getting back to Kreacher, do you think he's busy making steak and kidney pies for the Potters?

I'm sure he is, wherever their home is. They would not have freed him or sent him away. He's not like Dobby, he wouldn't want to be a Free Elf.

Hey, do you think Kreacher could wind up with Winky? Winky doesn't want to be a free Elf, she's desperately looking for a family to serve. The three Potter kids (and probably more to come) are probably a handful, Kreacher could use the help. He and Winky (I once thought she'd end up with Dobby but that's out of the question now) would be good, taking care of the Potters, don't you think?

hemhem20X6
September 3rd, 2007, 7:08 pm
12 Grimmauld place dilemma: The charm that has been cast on it would still make it invisible to anyone not knowing the address (this could be potentially problematic when having guests over, especially muggles). If they were to remove the charm the neighbours might start wondering how there is suddenly a 12 GP when there never was one before. The book mentions how the neighbours have accepted that there is an 11 GP and a 13 GP, but no 12 GP. It also mentions by-passers looking up and noticing this. It would be too obvious.]

There are muggle repelling charms on the house, so lifting the fidelius charm wouldn't affect the neighbors.

MrSleepyHead
September 3rd, 2007, 9:39 pm
This is very true. Hermione and Ginny's bedroom, along with the drawing room, was on the second floor. Harry and Ron's room above that, and Fred and George's room above that. Then you have, above Fred and George, Mrs. Black's room (where Buckbeak stayed), Regulus's room, and Sirius's room. Therefore, it would make little sense why James would say Albus could move into the same room with him, for there would still be, at least, two more bedrooms after Teddy moved in.

I suppose it is possible that Harry and Ginny have company often, and they would need those extra rooms. It is even more plausible if Harry gave Kreacher his own room (instead of his little den) in Grimmauld Place, such as Regulus's old room. Perhaps Neville lives with them during the summers, since he is located at Hogwarts the rest of the year. There would be no reason for him to have his own house, if he is not married, for it would just be neglected. Therefore, Neville would stay with Harry for three months (this would also be good, for Neville would be close to St. Mungo's, where he could see his parents often). If we add Neville and Kreacher into the equation, there would be no rooms left after Teddy moved in. Therefore, if Harry and Ginny often have company (Luna, Ron and Hermione), they would want to reserve one room for guests. Thus, Albus and James would have to be in the same room.

This is stretching speculation to its limits, however, for there is no evidence to support this. However, I think that Hermione would want Harry to provide Kreacher a better room, due to her involvement with promoting elf rights. I also think it possible, since Ginny tells James that "you know Neville", that Harry and Ginny would be generous enough to give Neville room in their house for three months.
Actually, as we know from DH, Harry, Ginny, or any other member of the Order/someone Dumbledore had told Grimmauld Place about, would be Secret Keeper (once Dumbledore died, everyone he had told became a Secret Keeper). Therefore, Harry would certainly pass the secret on to his children.

However, I would think that he would lift the Fidelius Charm, for there would be no need, since the Order had disbanded (and Voldemort is dead).

One interesting thing, to me, is that it does not seem as if Harry/Ginny live too near to Ron/Hermione. They did not even go to the train station together (Ron had to drive a car), but Albus was still anxious to see them. I would say that they see each other very often, but it seems that they would have gone to King's Cross together if they lived near one another.

Sesshoumaru
September 3rd, 2007, 10:39 pm
One interesting thing, to me, is that it does not seem as if Harry/Ginny live too near to Ron/Hermione. They did not even go to the train station together (Ron had to drive a car), but Albus was still anxious to see them. I would say that they see each other very often, but it seems that they would have gone to King's Cross together if they lived near one another.

They probably do see each other quite often, regardless of how close/far they live from each other. I mean distance isn't as big of a deal in the wizarding world, what with Appartion and Floo Powder.

dasfres
September 3rd, 2007, 10:48 pm
There are muggle repelling charms on the house, so lifting the fidelius charm wouldn't affect the neighbors.

Yes, it probably works in a similar fashion to the The Leaky Cauldron in London, as both are squeezed between muggle buildings, yet invisible to Muggles.

LudwigVan
September 3rd, 2007, 11:35 pm
Yes, it probably works in a similar fashion to the The Leaky Cauldron in London, as both are squeezed between muggle buildings, yet invisible to Muggles.

Yes, but still. I don't think he would like to live in Grimmauld Place, there are too much awful memories in there. And as many said before, they are liveing in a much samller house than GP

eatus_Benevol1
September 4th, 2007, 4:39 am
I agree that Harry would not have wanted to live at #12 Grimmauld Pl - too painful. But I also believe that he kept the place and perhaps let others wizards use it either as a hostel or for a business. I think that Harry and Ginny would have wanted to live somewhere not right within shouting distance of the Weasleys - but somewhere more private and perhaps romantic - sort of like Bill and Fleur's place. As for Kreacher, since Harry was his Master, I guess he would have gone to live with Harry and Ginny but Harry sent him to #12 Grimmauld frequently to clean the house (I have an idea that Kreacher would have like that assignment).

FleurduJardin
September 16th, 2007, 6:22 pm

Well, I think there's a slight difference. 12 GP is totally invisible to both Muggles and Wizards/Witches who have not been given the address by the Secret Keeper. To Muggles, the house numbers go from 11 to 13, they just shrug it off as an oddity, or as an error on the town planners' part.

The Leaky Cauldron is visible to all wizards, I think there's a Confundus Charm that makes Muggles' eyes slide from the book store on one side to the record shop on the other without their eyes registering the obscure little bar. But magical people see it without having been given special "clearance". In the case of Muggle parents of witches and wizards, like the Grangers, I guess their kids, in this case Hermione, leads them to the door. Which reminds me, who told Hermione where to go and what to look for, and how to get to Diagon Alley?

wickedwickedboy
September 17th, 2007, 5:03 am
I was thinking it would have been nice for Harry to donate it to the Ministry for use. They had so many ne projects that they took on in creating the 'new world' JKR spoke of in interview that they likely needed the extra space to carry things out. Many of the issues the would be dealing with would be new. They could just expand the ministry, but having an off site location might be nice for some purposes.

FleurduJardin
September 17th, 2007, 5:14 am
I like the idea of the Potters living there better. Once it's cleaned up, renovated, the tapestry restored, the elves heads removed from the walls, and old Mrs. Black's portrait shut up for good, it would be quite livable. There are memories of Sirius there that Harry would treasure, even if Sirius wasn't happy there.

I don't see the Potters moving back to Godric's Hollow, do you? With Ginny's and Harry's jobs, they'd want to be at the heart of things, in London.

I wonder if the Dursleys ever move back to 4 Privet Drive?

hemhem20X6
September 17th, 2007, 1:57 pm
Well, I think there's a slight difference. 12 GP is totally invisible to both Muggles and Wizards/Witches who have not been given the address by the Secret Keeper. To Muggles, the house numbers go from 11 to 13, they just shrug it off as an oddity, or as an error on the town planners' part.

The Leaky Cauldron is visible to all wizards, I think there's a Confundus Charm that makes Muggles' eyes slide from the book store on one side to the record shop on the other without their eyes registering the obscure little bar. But magical people see it without having been given special "clearance". In the case of Muggle parents of witches and wizards, like the Grangers, I guess their kids, in this case Hermione, leads them to the door. Which reminds me, who told Hermione where to go and what to look for, and how to get to Diagon Alley?

"It [#12 Grimmauld Place] is ideal for headquarters, of course...My father put every security measure known to Wizard kind on it when he lived here...Muggles could never come and call...and now Dumbledore's added his protection...
-OotP, pg. 115

redpyro
September 18th, 2007, 4:04 pm
i like to belive that harry lives in the cottage at godric's hollow and i belive that kreacher works at both hogwarts and the cottage during the summer he works for harry and in the school years he takes care of hogwarts im sure that harry would live there so he could be close to his parents i made a short story of the trio and ll 7th years going back to hogwarts and harry and his close friends lived at grimuald place and the cottage ingodric's hollow and according to ron harry tends to talk to his parents graves

Guilhe
September 18th, 2007, 4:27 pm
I would like to see #12 Grimmauld Place became some kind of museum. Someplace to homage the ones who fell in the war against Voldemort. A place where you would learn about who Sirius and Regulus really were and what they did. But not only about them, also about every Order member or Hogwarts student who died fighting.

juliette
September 18th, 2007, 4:44 pm
yeah I don't think Harry would live permanantly in 12gp, he might have for a little while before he and Ginny married or whatever, and might still keep it as a second home. I'm not sure what he might have done with it otherwise, unless he might have given it back to someone in the black family line - Draco perhaps, the place seems more suited to his personality if you ask me. But, I'm sure that Harry either kept Kreacher or that he stayed at Hogwarts

but I think they ultimately live near Molly and Arthur and I'm sure that Ron and Hermione do to.

redpyro
September 18th, 2007, 5:19 pm
yeah I don't think Harry would live permanantly in 12gp, he might have for a little while before he and Ginny married or whatever, and might still keep it as a second home. I'm not sure what he might have done with it otherwise, unless he might have given it back to someone in the black family line - Draco perhaps, the place seems more suited to his personality if you ask me. But, I'm sure that Harry either kept Kreacher or that he stayed at Hogwarts

but I think they ultimately live near Molly and Arthur and I'm sure that Ron and Hermione do to.
well i like to think that harry kept it or let's neville live there during the summer

grim12mauld
September 18th, 2007, 6:55 pm
I have a great affinity for #12 Grimmauld Place; I just think its such a cool and interesting house with all it's family history and it's architecture of narrow hallways and tall ceilings. I liked how the movie portrayed it, just as I had imagined.

As for the future of the house, I don't think Harry will live there, even though I would really like him to do that: I'd like to see the house fixed up to be clean and cheerful with Kreacher running the place. Then I could see Harry and Ginny raising their kids there. In a sense, I'd like the house to do a turn-around like Kreacher did in book 7. That would make me so happy. But, in all reality, I don't think Jo would place them there if we were to get her opinion on it. I think she would put Harry in a more normal home setting, since all he wanted was to be normal and have a family.

redpyro
September 19th, 2007, 7:44 pm
I bet harry let teddy live there when he came of age

JJFinch
September 19th, 2007, 9:02 pm
I like to think that after spending some time at the Burrow, he leaves the Weasleys to their grief and returns to Grimmauld Place to set it straight and make it a home. I think that he would live there for a few years but when he gets married I think he would get a house (perhaps his parents old house or something near it) in Godric's Hollow where he and Ginny raise their kids.

mariebeth83
September 19th, 2007, 11:34 pm
I can't see Harry living in Grimmauld Place - it's too dark, I don't think that it would have been an ideal family home for himself, Ginny and the kids. They'd have wanted somewhere that had a big garden where they can all go out and play quidditch when they want to. It might have been a good place to hide out at the beginning, just for the fact that he would be able to hide from the rest of the wizarding world who would no doubt want to see him and treat him like the hero he is.

I can actually imagine Kreacher telling Harry after DH that house elves can get rid of permanent sticking charms and that he would take down the portrait. Then Harry would tell him that Kreacher can keep the portrait in his own little hidey hole :)

HMN
September 20th, 2007, 3:04 am
I really wonder if Harry moved back to #12 after the war. I could see him hiding out there for a while, just enjoying the peace and quiet. Ever since Kreacher came around to Harry's side, the place actually seemed like home, and Harry seemed happy there.

Harry doesn't seem like the kind of person to go and waste a perfectly good house, nor does he seem like he'd go and spend a lot of money on another place - when as he said to Vernon in DH 'I have a house, I don't need yours'.

I don't see him going and living in Godric's Hollow. I think after visiting he might have realized there was nothing there for him.

Harry loved Sirius as if he were his own father, and I could see Harry wanting to take the house back in Sirius's name.

One last thing regarding Kreacher - I'm going to to out on a limb and say that between the time of the Voldemort defeat and marrying Ginny, I'm guessing Harry let Kreacher take care of him, his meals, the cleaning. Stuff like that.

Lisa_Turpin
September 20th, 2007, 3:28 am
I would like to see #12 Grimmauld Place became some kind of museum. Someplace to homage the ones who fell in the war against Voldemort. A place where you would learn about who Sirius and Regulus really were and what they did. But not only about them, also about every Order member or Hogwarts student who died fighting.
I actually like this idea very much. It seems the sort of thing Harry might do-- donating the house in a way that would benefit others, letting it become something of a memorial like the house in Godric's Hallow.

As many people have already said, I really can't imagine Harry living in Grimmauld Place after he and Ginny were married. There's a possibility he lived there beforehand, but I think they would have bought their own place to raise a family in after their marriage. Kreacher probably moved in with the family, wherever they are, and takes care of them all the time; I doubt Kreacher would have continued to work at Hogwarts after the war ended and Harry left.

final
September 20th, 2007, 7:10 pm
i dno it seems a pretty good place, if they redecorated and made it brighter

Badgers_Rule
September 21st, 2007, 1:00 am
It was a rat hole, but when the trio lived thier in Deathly Hallows and Kreatcher enjoyed thier company, the place seemed like it was very livable. Why not live thier it's his.

FleurduJardin
September 21st, 2007, 5:11 am
i dno it seems a pretty good place, if they redecorated and made it brighter

I made the same point earlier. Nothing that a good cleaning, some new, bright paint, bigger windows, better lighting, wouldn't cure and make inhabitable. Look at the transformation Kreacher made to the kitchen in just a few days or weeks. Hire some other Elves to help, along with a good interior decorator, a few flicks of magic wands if need be (with Mrs. Molly Weasley landing a hand), put old Mrs. Black's portrait up in the attic or somewhere else out of sight and hearing, it can become a nice home.

Harry and family can live there part of the year and spend their vacations at Godric's Hollow.

Mrscole
September 22nd, 2007, 12:42 pm
I see Harry and Ginny living at Grimmauald Place after a good cleaning and remolding, all new furniture and stuff. Harry would probabley like the reminder of his godfather.

hoppitydee
September 23rd, 2007, 4:13 am
Maybe Harry turned it into a pub
or a frat house

hemhem20X6
November 29th, 2007, 7:24 am
I really don't think that it would be put to anything but pretty personal use...maybe a meeting place for something like the order, but certainly not a frat house.

Peruvian
November 30th, 2007, 9:34 pm
But if voldemort is already dead , don't you think there will be done with the order

And I think that Harry turns Grimauld place into a storage house . I don't think he will live there unless he gots no other place to live

CoeurDeLyon
December 1st, 2007, 4:02 am
I love the idea that Harry went to live there, however I think he would have wanted to start fresh and buy his own house to start his own family. His whole life he had to live with everything Voldemort did to his family, and it makes me beleive that he may have wanted to start his own path, based on his skills, his ablities, not a constant reminder of what Voldemort did to him, and a new house would have been that. I think Harry just wanted to live a normal life.

birdi86
December 1st, 2007, 5:31 pm
I think Harry passed it on to his own godson and, eventually, Teddy and Victoire will live there.

hufflepina
December 3rd, 2007, 1:13 am
probably now is the headquarters of the aurors. or maybe mr potter sold his property

Rhea7
December 28th, 2007, 8:48 pm
I think he would keep it and still be willing to have it for any Order parties. I honestly think he would raise a family there, not only for how much Sirius ment to him and how much he did for him, but it is a good house with Kreacher there. But I think he wouldn't do anything to drastic to Sirius and Regulus' rooms. It would be weird to just leave them how they are almost like a monument, but I don't think he'd have the heart to remodel the rooms, even if he could. I doubt he can change some of the stuff in Sirius' room. =)

Headless_Nick
December 31st, 2007, 1:11 am
probably now is the headquarters of the aurors. or maybe mr potter sold his propertySomehow I don't see Harry selling the place. After a bit of cleaning and after Kreacher and Harry learned to appreciate eachother, the house started to become a nice place. Besides, 12 Grimmauld Place was a sentimental house for Harry. He did not have the bad memories of it as Sirius did. The house was a reminder of Sirius himself, who Harry was very close with.

Montse
December 31st, 2007, 1:17 am
This is the place where I inmediatly though harry would go to live before marrying Ginny,in hallows it seemed it did become nicer,and like you say with a further cleaning,it might be a nicer place thanit was.I dont see Harry selling the house either,it represented so much to him.The only proble I see here is MRs.blacks portrait ,remember how they tried to take it away in book 5 and couldnt,but maybe they have found a way tocalm her down a bit,maybe kreacher has,he now has a completely differnt view of harry.

LoonyMagic
January 4th, 2008, 4:05 pm
This is the place where I inmediatly though harry would go to live before marrying Ginny,in hallows it seemed it did become nicer,and like you say with a further cleaning,it might be a nicer place thanit was.I dont see Harry selling the house either,it represented so much to him.The only proble I see here is MRs.blacks portrait ,remember how they tried to take it away in book 5 and couldnt,but maybe they have found a way tocalm her down a bit,maybe kreacher has,he now has a completely differnt view of harry.

I had completely different thoughts. Grimmauld Place holds too many painful memories of Sirius, and plus it's not exactly the kind of house I could imagine Harry and Ginny settling down in and having children. It's so grim and has the feel of a dark place. I always imagined Harry and Ginny settling somewhere like Godric's Hollow - like a small, remote village. I don't think he'd sell it, but then again, who would want it? Perhaps Kreacher stayed there. I really don't know what would happen to it, but I'm pretty sure Harry wouldn't want to live there.

iluvsnape17
January 4th, 2008, 6:24 pm
But wouldn't the fidelius charm be a bit of a problem? and if they removed it number 12 would appear from nowhere and the muggles would know something was up. I think it's more likely the Potters would get a new house.

PrivetHedge
January 4th, 2008, 7:57 pm
But wouldn't the fidelius charm be a bit of a problem? and if they removed it number 12 would appear from nowhere and the muggles would know something was up. I think it's more likely the Potters would get a new house.

I don't think the Fidelius Charm would be a problem.

That's assuming that they actually can break the Charm (beyond them admitting more and more people to the Secret). More likely, they would just void it: The motion has been made, seconded, and passed by a unanimous vote of the membership - The Order of the Phoenix is hereby disbanded! If there is no Order, then "The Headquarters of the Order of the Phoenix may be found at Number 12, Grimmauld Place" is a rather empty Secret.

Anyway, I see two possible results of lifting the Charm.

First case would be that the Fidelius Charm doesn't actually provide the 'invisibility'. It was the Muggle-repelling charms and being unplottable and anything else that Sirius' father, Sirius, and Dumbledore did to it that made it 'invisible'. The Fidelius Charm merely keeps the Secret of where to look. So, Muggles still wouldn't be able to see it.

Second case would be that the Fidelius Charm does provide the 'invisibility'. In that case, people knew previously that there was a house there. From the point the Fidelius Charm was put in place, they could not be told of the house's location by anyone or anything, even by their own memory, except the Secret Keeper. Once the Charm was lifted, the blocks on their memory would be as well.

GrangerHermione
January 5th, 2008, 8:21 pm
Number 12 Grimmauld Place is just so dark and lonely! I don't think that Harry decided to permanantly live there. But if Harry gave it to Kreacher, what would happen to it when Kreacher dies? I don't think he has any descendents . . .

Montse
January 5th, 2008, 8:36 pm
I had completely different thoughts. Grimmauld Place holds too many painful memories of Sirius, and plus it's not exactly the kind of house I could imagine Harry and Ginny settling down in and having children. It's so grim and has the feel of a dark place. I always imagined Harry and Ginny settling somewhere like Godric's Hollow - like a small, remote village. I don't think he'd sell it, but then again, who would want it? Perhaps Kreacher stayed there. I really don't know what would happen to it, but I'm pretty sure Harry wouldn't want to live there.

Oh but i dont think he would live there with Ginny ,only before he married her,like his bachellor´s appartment,after wards i do imagine he would live somewhere like shell cottage.

Sile
January 5th, 2008, 10:10 pm
Well the only positive thing about Grimmauld was all the protections on it. As it is unplottable the press will surely have a hard time finding it. Harry would like a place that is private and where he can raise his children in peace. However I do get the point that he may want somewhere that is free of any memories of the war both Grimmauld and Godrics Hollow contain those memories. I very much doubt he would have rebuilt Godrics Hollow either as it was left as a memorial to his parents

Liselle
January 24th, 2008, 11:52 am
Well the only positive thing about Grimmauld was all the protections on it. As it is unplottable the press will surely have a hard time finding it. Harry would like a place that is private and where he can raise his children in peace. However I do get the point that he may want somewhere that is free of any memories of the war both Grimmauld and Godrics Hollow contain those memories. I very much doubt he would have rebuilt Godrics Hollow either as it was left as a memorial to his parents

I'm sure he would have kept Grimmauld place anyway, even though there are painful memories there, they did have some good times too....

I wonder how happy Kreacher would be though to allow Harry decorate though!

Muggle_Magic
January 25th, 2008, 3:32 am
I'm sure he would have kept Grimmauld place anyway, even though there are painful memories there, they did have some good times too....
I agree that he would keep it, but maybe he could let Andromeda and Teddy live there? Andromeda is a Black, after all. She may not want to stay where she had been living with Ted Tonks and Dora. It's painful to stay in a place where you were happy with someone but that someone is gone, but every object reminds you of them. Whether Kreacher would stay with Andromeda or follow Harry is another matter. Harry is his master (by right of Sirius's will) but maybe he freed Kreacher, or gave him a choice.

I wonder how happy Kreacher would be though to allow Harry decorate though!
We see in DH that Kreacher has changed. He cleaned the house, cleaned himself. He would not object to some decoration other than the portrait of old Mrs. Black, the Elves' heads on the wall and the family tree tapestry. JMHO. :cool:

I also like the idea of Teddy and Victoire settling there after they marry. :)

Beatifically
January 25th, 2008, 3:43 am
I find it sad that almost everything Sirius gave to Harry is destroyed, but I doubt Harry would live in Grimmauld Place. After HBP, Harry said he didn't want to go back to the house because it would remind him too much of Sirius' bitterness during OotP. The only reason why Harry even went to Grimmauld Place is so that he and Ron and Hermione would be safe from the Death Eaters. Otherwise, I doubt he really wanted to go there.

I'm also not sure if Harry wanted his children to be raised there with Mrs. Black's portrait and house-elf heads permanently stuck on the wall.

GrangerHermione
January 25th, 2008, 3:57 am
I find it sad that almost everything Sirius gave to Harry is destroyed, but I doubt Harry would live in Grimmauld Place. After HBP, Harry said he didn't want to go back to the house because it would remind him too much of Sirius' bitterness during OotP. The only reason why Harry even went to Grimmauld Place is so that he and Ron and Hermione would be safe from the Death Eaters. Otherwise, I doubt he really wanted to go there.
I agree. I don't think Harry would want to go back; there would be too many bad memories of Sirius. After all, Sirius hated the place.
I'm also not sure if Harry wanted his children to be raised there with Mrs. Black's portrait and house-elf heads permanently stuck on the wall.
Yes, it is a rather gloomy place to raise his children in. I can just imagine one of them having a nightmare and then getting scared out of their wits by the house-elf heads on the wall on the way to their Mom and Dad's room. :lol:

Beatifically
January 25th, 2008, 4:00 am
I agree. I don't think Harry would want to go back; there would be too many bad memories of Sirius. After all, Sirius hated the place.

I agree. The house doesn't hold many fond memories. There was that period of time when Sirius was brooding and the struggles had to go through in his fifth year and Harry's confinement in DH wasn't that pleasant either considering the state of the world at that time.

Yes, it is a rather gloomy place to raise his children in. I can just imagine one of them having a nightmare and then getting scared out of their wits by the house-elf heads on the wall on the way to their Mom and Dad's room. :lol:

:lol: Exactly. I doubt any kid would want to wake up and see house-elf heads on the wall.

Even more, Hermione probably improved House-elf rights when she worked in the Ministry and she might have influenced Harry's kids about that, so I don't know what they'd think about it if they were against house-elf enslavement.

GrangerHermione
January 25th, 2008, 4:23 am
Even more, Hermione probably improved House-elf rights when she worked in the Ministry and she might have influenced Harry's kids about that, so I don't know what they'd think about it if they were against house-elf enslavement.

Good point. :tu: I would've never thought of Hermione and her House-Elf rights. That's another reason why Harry wouldn't want to live there. If Hermione and Ron visited them, Hermione would go nuts over the heads on the wall. And they're stuck there permanently...she couldn't get rid of them if she tried. And you're right, Hermione probably influenced Harry's kids about that, so they'd go nuts, too.

As a side question: Do you think Kreacher would've wanted to be stuck up there with his ancestors. I though that Sirius said somewhere in OotP that that was his life's dream...
Do you think that now Kreacher's has changed since then, he'd still want that? It's kind of gross...*shudders*

EDIT:
By the way, beatifically, I love your new avatar! :tu:

Muggle_Magic
January 25th, 2008, 5:12 am
The only reason why Harry even went to Grimmauld Place is so that he and Ron and Hermione would be safe from the Death Eaters. Otherwise, I doubt he really wanted to go there.

True, but it did get better once Kreacher changed and cleaned the place up, didn't it?

I'm sure there's a way to unstuck Mrs. Black's portrait and banish it to the attic, and get rid the house elves' heads too (give them a decent burial or whatever funeral rites Elves have.) With the combined magical powers of the Trio and Ginny, plus the members of the Order and the Ministry, I don't think the task would be unfeasible.

You're right, Hermione wouldn't like the sight of House Elves' heads too much when she came visiting (though she seemed to have gotten used to it, not even "seeing" them any more when they were taking refuge in the house). On the other hand, she didn't have any problem with Kreacher serving them - so even then, in DH, she had tempered her position about House Elves a bit. I didn't see her protesting at Kreacher cooking and cleaning for them, or going on a hunger strike because an "enslaved" Elf was serving her.

As for Kreacher, he had undergone quite a sea-change too. He may think differently about his head becoming part of the gallery. :lol: He may even want, when the time came, his own grave with the inscription "Here lies Kreacher, a faithful Elf". :cool:

Aldawen
January 25th, 2008, 5:23 am
It's a good piece of London real-estate! I'd hang on to it. :)

I do think Harry would keep it, and I think with a total make-over of the decor, he might even consider living there. Ultimately, though, I think he and Ginny would have raised their family in Godric's Hollow.

Some have suggested that Teddy and Andromeda live there, but I highly doubt she'd go for it. I imagine she'd rather be surrounded by memories of the ones she loved and lost than the ones who killed them.

Beatifically
January 25th, 2008, 5:32 am
True, but it did get better once Kreacher changed and cleaned the place up, didn't it?

Yeah, but I think Harry would still have been haunted by Sirius and the memories of the second war. :shrug: It wasn't the great time for Harry. I don't know if he'd want to stay there or have his children raised in such a home.

I'm sure there's a way to unstuck Mrs. Black's portrait and banish it to the attic, and get rid the house elves' heads too (give them a decent burial or whatever funeral rites Elves have.) With the combined magical powers of the Trio and Ginny, plus the members of the Order and the Ministry, I don't think the task would be unfeasible.

Probably not, but it's called a Permanent Sticking Charm for a reason. :p Someone in the future might discover a way to undo that, but we don't know.
So if it's stuck then . . . Harry won't want to go there. According to JKR, the pureblood supremacy died down for Slytherins. If there was less prejudice against blood types, then it would be a grim reminder to hear someone repeat words of the past, wouldn't it?

You're right, Hermione wouldn't like the sight of House Elves' heads too much when she came visiting (though she seemed to have gotten used to it, not even "seeing" them any more when they were taking refuge in the house). On the other hand, she didn't have any problem with Kreacher serving them - so even then, in DH, she had tempered her position about House Elves a bit. I didn't see her protesting at Kreacher cooking and cleaning for them, or going on a hunger strike because an "enslaved" Elf was serving her.

Well, the trio had more things on their mind during that time, so I don't think she thought into it too much. She still did care, obviously, but I don't know if she'd want the heads to still be up there. It's a rather scary decoration for the home, nonetheless.

Personally, I'm a bigger fan of Harry living in Godric's Hollow. Maybe not the house that was destroyed since it's a monument to that fateful night, but I'd like for Harry to live in that village. It would be so interesting if Harry died in the same village he was born in.

Muggle_Magic
January 25th, 2008, 5:48 am
Personally, I'm a bigger fan of Harry living in Godric's Hollow. Maybe not the house that was destroyed since it's a monument to that fateful night, but I'd like for Harry to live in that village. It would be so interesting if Harry died in the same village he was born in.

Let's not discuss the unsticking of Permanent Stick Charms, since we don't know enough about them - but I'd think Magic, just like Muggle technology, progresses every day, so anything is possible. :cool:

Personally, my opinion is that Harry and Ginny lived in London most of the time - though they can Apparate to anywhere, London would still be more convenient to go to their jobs, and to get the kids to and from King's Cross Station. They may have a weekend/summer place at Godric's Hollow, where they would retire in their old age. Yes, I too like the idea of Harry dying in his native village. :)

DeathlyH
January 26th, 2008, 8:53 pm
I doubt Harry would ever want to live there. It just had too many memories of Srius, and thosewould reallt depress him. With Ginny being a pro Quidditch player, and Harry being an Auror, I don't imagine the money to buy a new house would be a problem for them. Harry probably left all the charms up, but only went back every once and a while at the most. It's not exactly an ideal house for a family of Gryffindors with three kids.

IgoRetla
January 26th, 2008, 8:55 pm

I wonder if the Elder Wand would remove a Permanent sticking Charm. :D

I think that Harry might have stayed there--after all, Kreacher had most of a year to clean the place. All else it really needed after being cleaned (and repapered, perhaps) is for all of those fixtures to be normal (or lions) instead of snakes. And Harry has plenty of gold.

Of course, Harry might not have wanted to live in such a neighborhood--though perhaps he talked all of his friends into buying houses there and fixing them up. :cool:

Fred and Angelina on one side, Ron and Hermione on the other, Neville and Hannah across the square, Percy and Audrey down the block--it all works out to neighborhood beautification.

My other guesses would be buying another house in Godric's Hollow (Bathilda's?)--or one at Ottery St. Catchpole.

I doubt Harry would ever want to live there. It just had too many memories of Srius, and thosewould reallt depress him.

You did notice that in DH Harry actually slept in Sirtius' room? I would think that Grimmauld Place would be somewhere that Harry would actually feel close to Sirius. The alternative would be restoring his parents' house, and I suspect that would be left a monument.

Plus, Harry actually likes Kreacher--and the house elf is bound to the house, not the family. He wouldn't let him stay there alone, like he was while Sirius was imprisoned.

It's not exactly an ideal house for a family of Gryffindors with three kids.

Redecorate it, and it's fine. A great house. Lift some of the charms, and if the Fidelius Charm is broken (Harry is a Secret Keeper, after all). and it's perfect.

greenheart4life
January 31st, 2008, 4:13 am
Well idk.. I mean it was a free house!! And I doubt he went back to Godric's Hollow. He probably wanted to keep that as a monument to his parents. Harry's a wizard...they could've cleaned up the place and made it sanitary with a bit of help

FleurduJardin
January 31st, 2008, 4:25 am
I agree with most of what IgoRetla said except for one point: Kreacher is bound to the family, not the house itself. It's other Blacks (Narcissa and Bellatrix) he ran to when Sirius told him to "get out". I think that now that he and Harry like and respect each other, he'll follow Harry wherever he goes.

I agree that renovation is possible. Airing out the house, repainting it, redecorating it. There must be a way to unstick Mrs. Black's portrait - or keep the curtain over her permanently shut. :evil: - and put a small table with flowers or something pleasant to look at in front of it.

Good point about Harry sleeping in Sirius's room, the significance of that had escaped me.

I like the idea of having other wizarding families as neighbors. That would mean resettling the Muggle neighbors elsewhere, but that can be done, with deals so good the Muggles couldn't turn them down. ;)

Another idea I saw floating around is having Andromeda and Teddy (plus, later, Victoire and their children) live there. It has merits.

firefly20angel
January 31st, 2008, 3:53 pm
I think the trio would move there for a while and then Ron and Hermione would buy their own place after their marriage and Ginny would move in with Harry, and they would raise their childten there. Teddy would visit alot and when he's older, he'd move in there as it was said in the epilouge.

FleurduJardin
February 1st, 2008, 4:52 am
I think the trio would move there for a while and then Ron and Hermione would buy their own place after their marriage and Ginny would move in with Harry, and they would raise their childten there. Teddy would visit alot and when he's older, he'd move in there as it was said in the epilogue.

What about his grandmother Andromeda? I'd think she'd move in too, the Potters wouldn't leave her by herself. The house is big enough, I'd think, to have them all. Except if Teddy does marry Victoire and they have children of their own (see my post above). It'd become a bit crowded. :lol:

I'm a bit confused here. How is this thread "#12 Grimmauld Place" different from the one "Number 12 Grimmauld Place"? In a word, why are there two threads seemingly about the same thing? http://www.avenueviet.com/forums/images/smiles/asker.gif

firefly20angel
February 1st, 2008, 3:52 pm
What about his grandmother Andromeda? I'd think she'd move in too, the Potters wouldn't leave her by herself. The house is big enough, I'd think, to have them all. Except if Teddy does marry Victoire and they have children of their own (see my post above). It'd become a bit crowded. :lol:

Well, I meant he'd move in when he's around 19 years old so I guess he wouldn't be living with Andromeda anymore but yea, it'd be cool if she moved in as well. :rotfl: Well, it depends on how big the house is :p but I think Victoire and Teddy might get their own place if they got married, or at least whenever they had their firdt child.

Muggle_Magic
February 2nd, 2008, 5:17 am
Well, I meant he'd move in when he's around 19 years old so I guess he wouldn't be living with Andromeda anymore but yea, it'd be cool if she moved in as well. :rotfl: Well, it depends on how big the house is :p but I think Victoire and Teddy might get their own place if they got married, or at least whenever they had their firdt child.

Even at 19, if Teddy wasn't married yet, he might not want to leave his grandma all by lonesome. From the description of the house, it's big enough to take a family of 5 with a few guest rooms. In OotP, seems most of the Weasley clan (Arthur, Molly, the twins, Ron and Ginny - that's 6) plus Hermione and Harry, and Sirius himself= 10 people not counting Kreacher, lived there comfortably. It could easily accomodate the five Potters and the two Tonks plus Kreacher. I think. :)

But yes, with Victoire added and any more kids, it'd become a bit crowded. Poor Kreacher would have his hands full caring, cooking, cleaning for everybody. :lol:

Steelsheen
February 2nd, 2008, 1:36 pm
hmm, another thing to ask Madame Rowling.

there is no way Harry would raise his family there, i dont think he would even go back there, even if Kreacher would return and make it habitable. too many bad memories and bad vibes. i dont know if he would sell it or consider turning it over to Andromeda and Teddy Tonks, but if they feel about it the same way he does it would probably just be left there abandoned.

LoveWeasleys
February 2nd, 2008, 1:50 pm
there is no way Harry would raise his family there, i dont think he would even go back there, even if Kreacher would return and make it habitable. too many bad memories and bad vibes. i dont know if he would sell it or consider turning it over to Andromeda and Teddy Tonks, but if they feel about it the same way he does it would probably just be left there abandoned.
I feel like it was abandoned as well. The place held no happy memories for anyone and I have a feeling no matter how much it was cleaned up and de-"bugged" it wouldn't be enough to get the drearyness out of it. It probably stayed in Harry's assets, but I don't see anyone inhabiting it. I did however think it would be cool if they turned the place into a sort of "home school" for Muggleborn witches and wizards. Wouldn't that have been a slap in Mrs. Black's face. :lol: I am so spiteful.

mugglepants
February 2nd, 2008, 10:49 pm
I love the idea of the Potters living in Ottery St. Catchpole. It seems like such a friendly, cozy happy place and very family oriented.

As for Grimuald place, the idea of using it as a headquaters for an official Dumbledore's Army is a good idea. I can imagine that it would be quite cozier with Kreacher so much happier. It might also be a good winter holiday home. I can picture all the Potters and Weasleys getting together on Christmas eve at Grimuald Place. The mere thought makes me warm and fuzzy.:love:

I don't see Harry living in Godrics Hollow. To many painful memories. But I can see Harry and his family visiting the village often to see Harry's parents graves and the house.

I feel like it was abandoned as well. The place held no happy memories for anyone and I have a feeling no matter how much it was cleaned up and de-"bugged" it wouldn't be enough to get the drearyness out of it. It probably stayed in Harry's assets, but I don't see anyone inhabiting it. I did however think it would be cool if they turned the place into a sort of "home school" for Muggleborn witches and wizards. Wouldn't that have been a slap in Mrs. Black's face. :lol: I am so spiteful.

I have to disagree with you on that. I don't see why Harry would just leave the house to rot. Afterall, it was Sirius's house. And there weren't really any bad memories. Harry didn't seem to not like it when he lived in it in DH. And if I recall, wasn't the home much cheerier after the house was cleaned up by Kreacher. And if seeing Sirius's room was as powerful an experience for Harry as it was for me, then I can't see Harry just forgetting about it. But I don't see the Potter's living in it, but instead finding a use for it.

RIPDobby
February 2nd, 2008, 11:17 pm
I wouldn't really be able to say exactly what he did with it, but im almost positive that he never lived in it. It wasn't a place fit for living. Also, it had really bad memories and he wouldn't like it since Sirius hated it; and he knew how much sirius suffered being in that house but stayed in it to help the order. I'm sure that the last thing he would do is raise his family in there. Besides, he's filthy rich, I think he could find a better place.

NoNEWTS
February 5th, 2008, 11:28 pm
I've considered the four possibilities:
1. He lives at Grimmauld Place after cleaning it up.
2. He lives in Godric's Hollow after cleaning it up.
3. He lives in an all-wizard village so his children can be with other Wizard preadolescents. Unfortunately, Hogmeade was the only one in Britain. In which case, would they walk to Hogwarts? Perhaps they'd take a portkey to the station so the kids could have the experience of the train. In a later year they might decide to walk.
4. He lives somewhere else, near Ron and Hermione or Andromeda and Teddy.

Since Wormtail released the secret from his soul (rather than just telling it to Voldemort) the Fidelius is no longer active (whereas it might be for Grimmauld Place - if Arthur is wrong). I just realized that Teddy comes to visit, which might not be possible at Grimmauld Place, if the Secret is with Dumbledore's soul.

The_Green_Woods
July 5th, 2008, 9:43 am
What do you think harry did with 12GP?

I dont think he would live and raise his family there because its a rat hole but i dont think he would just do nothing with it.

I think he probably let kreature have it.

I do think Harry would keep that place; only he would probably remodel it and keep it for ant weekend when he would want to come to London. It is situated so centrally, that it would be very convenient IMO.

JimmyPotter
July 5th, 2008, 2:28 pm
OOTP says that Mrs. Black's picture was attached to the wall with a permanent sticking charm. We never hear that there is any way to reverse it, so we should assume that her picture remains on the wall at 12 Grimmauld Place. I don't think Harry wants his children to hear their mother constantly called a "blood traitor", so it is almost a certainty they are not living there. Godric's Hollow likely remains a shrine to his parents and a reminder of the high cost of freedom.

Actually, Grimmauld Place would not even be good as a headquarters anymore after the Death Eaters found it in DH.

ginny88
July 6th, 2008, 9:30 am
I think Harry's family live in an unplottable location, in the outskirts, with open field for quiddith, with a paddock where they could go swimming, see the beautiful night sky.

But I hope he didn't sold it. Just maintained it and hire someone to make it over, perhaps they live there when they are in the city for a few days.

Rhea7
July 6th, 2008, 8:45 pm
I think they might keep Grimmauld place, maybe for when the remaining order of the phoenix gather for holidays or something. Harry problaby got his own house with Ginny, somewhere close to the Burrow because of the attatchment he had to the place to begin with. Godric Hollow would probably stay the way it was, but I deffinitly think Harry would visit it more, and probably bring his kids to see.

GemmaBlack
July 6th, 2008, 9:59 pm
I think maybe he would have stayed there for a while but not raised a family there. I think he and Ginny would have got a house similar to the burrow, somewhere open where their kids could play on brooms and stuff. I dont know what he would have done with number 12, maybe just left it, let kreacher stay there if he wanted.

Auror_Andrew
July 12th, 2008, 4:34 pm
I thought that he probably just left it the way it is.

jookyle
July 13th, 2008, 2:55 am
I imagine after Hogwarts Harry probably bought a small place near the Burrow for himself and Ron(possibly Hermonie) as to stay near Ginny when he could and to rest. After so many years of struggle a nice little place out in the country would be nice. But soon as they all started to lead adult lives(getting married,having jobs etc.) they probably moved. I'm sure they all live not to far away as their children can be friends with out having to jump into a fireplace every time they want to play tag(floo tag...lol). I think 12 Grimmauld Place would be kept if it's ever needed again. Or perhaps has a secret base for Aurors.

skullangel
July 15th, 2008, 12:50 pm
It took me awhile to think of a good answer... There is a posibility of them living part time at #12 cleaning it up is a good possibility... Think of it this way, Kreacher alone managed to clean it up some what... Now imagine this, its summer no school, how easy would it be for Harry to ask Headmistress McGonagal... Professor can I borrow an army of house elves for a week?

Since there is no school and I'm sure the House Elves are most likely bored out of their skulls would be glad to clean up the old house with Kreacher in charge of course. all of this would be to the chagrin and disapproving look of Hermione.

Or McGonagal could loan them as a wedding present for the couple, with a small army could clean up the place and I am sure the auror office will help clean up the dark magic in the house... It all hinges upon how people would love to help them clean it up.

lily_potter73
July 20th, 2008, 2:18 pm

You're right, no peaceful life with her, but anyways the house carried the Black's family's taste, I don't think harry would like it. I think he'd live in Godric's Hollow.