Everyone's Patronuses

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

ChocolateFrog24
August 27th, 2007, 7:18 pm
Have you ever wondered what is everyone's Patronus are?
I have. Here are some questions.
What is Mr. Weasly's Patronus?
What are Fred and George Weasly's Patronuses?
What is Draco Malfoy's Patronus?
Name anyone's Patronus, including yours! Thanks! :)

Yoana
August 27th, 2007, 7:30 pm

Mr. Weasley's is a weasel, it was in the book. I laughed when I read it :D

I don't know about the tiwns, but Jo herself doesn't know about Draco, because he hasn't been able to produce one yet.

Moriath
August 27th, 2007, 7:32 pm
For your own Patronus, please check out What Form Would Your Patronus Take? v2 (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=89270&highlight=patronus%2A)

You may also be interested in ignificance and Meanings of Patronus Forms (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=108189) :)

August 27th, 2007, 7:51 pm
Hermione's-Otter
Harry-Stag
Ronald-Terrier dog
Snape-Doe
Kingsley-Lynx
Mr.Weasley-Weasel :p
Luna-Hare
Ernie-Boar
Seamus-Fox
Cho-swan

those are the ones i can think of at the moment off the top of my head.....
i'm not sure about fred and georges.......

HugForLupin
August 27th, 2007, 8:09 pm
Tonks' changed into a wolf, but I like to think it was a penguin or a chameleon before. A penguin because they're quite clumsy, and a chameleon for obvious reasons!

I reckon Remus' was a dove, because he seems to like peace.

If Draco was able to produce one, I'd say a dragon ;). Or a snake.

Voldemorts8thHorcrux
August 27th, 2007, 11:06 pm
Draco means Dragon, but I would have to say that Draco's patronus would be a bit smaller than a normal dragon.

Anyways, what animal is extremely funny and carefree? I think that Fred and George would be a turkey. Turkeys can fly, flying is a like a symbol of being carefree, and they always seem to be loose and goofy.

Magi
August 28th, 2007, 1:19 am
Draco means Dragon, but I would have to say that Draco's patronus would be a bit smaller than a normal dragon.

That would still be one mighty big patronus! :D

I found it amusing that Umbridge and McGonagall both had cats as their patronuses!

Scrimgeour's patronus might have been a lion. He is often described as looking like an old lion. Maybe he was a lion animagus?!

Sirius' was probably a big shaggy dog. :)

Lucius' was probably a snake... Voldemort called him his "slippery friend".

hplova15165
August 28th, 2007, 1:22 am
I bet James' was a stag. Mine would probably be a stag too.
I know Lily's was a doe, and so was Snape's. I wonder what his patronus would have been if he had never met Lily? Hmmm... probably a slug or a skunk. Even if Snape was good, that doens't necissarily mean that I like him.

Magi
August 28th, 2007, 1:23 am
I wonder what his patronus would have been if he had never met Lily? Hmmm... probably a slug or a skunk. Even if Snape was good, that doens't necissarily mean that I like him.

A bat?

Gracezilla06
August 29th, 2007, 4:05 am

Anyways, what animal is extremely funny and carefree? I think that Fred and George would be a turkey. Turkeys can fly, flying is a like a symbol of being carefree, and they always seem to be loose and goofy.

Good idea, but I think they would be siamese turkeys! Ooh and welcome to the forums, Katrina!

ChocolateFrog24
August 29th, 2007, 3:46 pm
Thanks for commenting! I think Fred and George's Patronuses would be baboons. Turkeys? Maybe. But baboons are funnier. Thanks again!

twisted_angel
August 29th, 2007, 3:53 pm
Thanks for commenting! I think Fred and George's Patronuses would be baboons. Turkeys? Maybe. But baboons are funnier. Thanks again!

I can definitely see Fred and George's Patronuses as baboons. I've never thought about it before but great idea!!

EllieSnowmantle
August 29th, 2007, 5:10 pm
I keep thinking of Lucius' patronus as a peacock. This idea got into my head because when a peacock is mentioned outside the Malfoy Manor in chapter one, isn't it described as white? And then someone associates Lucius with that peacock. So I kept thinking yeah....maybe....

I think Ginny's would be something tough, yet agile, perhaps a squirrel or hamster? But then those are quite small, what other animals are there like her??

loonyluna0114
August 29th, 2007, 9:45 pm
Hehe, I could just imagine Fred and George with a pair of Baboons, great idea!!

MoonStarRaven
August 31st, 2007, 1:16 am
I always thought that Snapes would be an Arabian horse, (don't know how I cam up with that) but after reading DH if it wasn't a doe for Lily, maybe one of those hounds that you see chasing Stags in those old hunting paintings? :p

I like the idea of Fred and Georges being a baboon, or maybe an orangutan some funny ape or monkey anyway.

I definitely thing that Mrs. Weasley's would be a mother bear! Don't mess with her cubs!

If Hagrid hadn't been expelled what would his have been? I'd think if anyone he would have been big and strong enough to produce a dragon it would be him, but a good dragon like Puff or the luck dragon. ;)

ChocolateFrog24
September 4th, 2007, 4:08 pm
I definitely thing that Mrs. Weasley's would be a mother bear! Don't mess with her cubs!

That's a good idea! I loved the part where Mrs. Weasly defends her daughter. :lol:

nat089
September 4th, 2007, 4:42 pm
I think Ginny's would be something tough, yet agile, perhaps a squirrel or hamster? But then those are quite small, what other animals are there like her??

Well, since the OOTP movie got Luna's and Ron's Patronuses right, if we follow the movie, then Ginny's Patronus would be a horse. It looked like a stallion. And honestly, I don't see anything that would suit her better. :)

I'm not sure what my own Patronus would take, really. My sister keeps saying it'd be a hamster but I sort of hope it wouldn't be...

I wonder what Neville's Patronus is...

LotusFawkes
September 4th, 2007, 5:17 pm
A bat?

:rotfl: I found this the perfect image of Snape if it hadn't been for Lily.

Even though my animagus is a wolf, it is very possible it too would be a snow leopard, my chosen patronus.

Wright1771
September 6th, 2007, 9:19 am
Fred and George....funky Gibbons!

Grimmodr
September 6th, 2007, 3:20 pm
Some very ideas there:lol:but why do they have they have these animals is it anything to do with their personalities? and this is something that evolves until they can cast a patronus, as there is a variety of animals some big some small mine would be Badger as their my favourite animal and id probably be in huflepuff as result:lol:

YellowRose
September 6th, 2007, 5:28 pm
Fred and George....funky Gibbons!Goody goody yum yum :p

Would George's have changed after the death of Fred?

redpyro
September 6th, 2007, 5:39 pm
well animagus and patronuses are based on your personality thus making it impossible to be a dog animagus and have a cat patronus you dont chose the anmal you turn into or what it is for your patronus so yeah depenends on your personality not your choice (joe rowling said so!)

Ronny
September 6th, 2007, 7:48 pm
Voldemort - Lion
Scrimgeour - Snake
Barty Crouch Jr - Chameleon
Me - Red Fox

pumpcin_juice
September 6th, 2007, 10:31 pm

ummm...Mr.Weasley's was a weasel (i thought it really fit him!)and for Draco.....hmmmm....maybe a dragon beacuse of his name? But i just had a weird idea that Fred and Georges would've been monkeys...
i dunno what patronus mine would take-I think it would probably be a bluejay??

ChocolateFrog24
September 8th, 2007, 12:53 am
Would George's have changed after the death of Fred?

Good question! Know that I think about it I'm wondering the same thing.

Sugino3
September 8th, 2007, 1:01 am
Voldemort - Lion
Scrimgeour - Snake
Barty Crouch Jr - Chameleon
Me - Red Fox

I think you got Voldy's and Scrimgeour's mixed. :p

sholeigh
September 13th, 2007, 9:19 pm
McGonagall's patronus in DH turns out to be the spectacled cat, with the exact same markings as her animagus form. I've always thought that a person's patronus and animagus form should be the same and this seems like proof to me. I know the patronus can change with changes in personality, but I think the animagus form, once achieved, would stay the same as it was on the day you first managed to transform.

FleurduJardin
September 15th, 2007, 5:19 am
Does anyone know what Ginny's Patronus was? (if this has already been discussed, apologies). I wonder if, whatever it was, it became a doe after she fell in love with Harry then married him.

wickedwickedboy
September 15th, 2007, 5:33 am
Does anyone know what Ginny's Patronus was? (if this has already been discussed, apologies). I wonder if, whatever it was, it became a doe after she fell in love with Harry then married him.

A horse or stallion in the movie...

Ronny
September 15th, 2007, 12:20 pm
I think you got Voldy's and Scrimgeour's mixed. :p

No. Voldemort is a brave guy, not nice but he's got guts. A lion is also a symbol of reglal power and I am sure that Tom Riddle thought of himself as something of a king. Male Lions also lounge around whilst their subordinates do all the work, a mirror of the cronies he surrrounds himself with. He won't do small time killings but will move when his leadership is challenged, much like a Lion only becoming truly active when their leadership of the pride is threatened. Hence the Lion.
Scrimgeour on the other hand cannot be trusted and is quick to "shed his skin" when people don't give him what he wants. Hence the snake. Plus, Snakes have fangs and Rufus is a vampire.

sholeigh
September 16th, 2007, 1:27 pm
Ginny is so often described with cat characteristics, I think her patronus would be feline - but something a bit wilder than McGonagall's ;)

LoveWeasleys
September 16th, 2007, 2:54 pm
Ginny is so often described with cat characteristics, I think her patronus would be feline - but something a bit wilder than McGonagall's
In the movies it was a horse. Even though we didn't see it in the books, every other patronus that was in the movies (Ron's terrior, Hermione's Otter, and Luna's Hare) were all proven to be true in DH. So, I tend to think that all the patronuses in the movies were given by Jo and therefore Ginny's would be the horse. :)

McGonagall's patronus in DH turns out to be the spectacled cat, with the exact same markings as her animagus form. I've always thought that a person's patronus and animagus form should be the same and this seems like proof to me
I agree. Wasn't the same thing for James too? He was a stag animagus and so was his patronus.

skrewtmaster
September 16th, 2007, 7:46 pm

I think that Fred and George'd patronuses would be meerkats.They're quite comical. I'd be a red squirrel

FleurduJardin
September 19th, 2007, 6:16 am
Ginny is so often described with cat characteristics, I think her patronus would be feline - but something a bit wilder than McGonagall's ;)

A tigress, maybe? She's certainly as jealous as a tigress where Cho is concerned. Though someone said earlier her Patronus was a horse or stallion. I just can't remember seeing it in the movie, but then I have only seen it once to date. ;)

It would be funny if after marrying Harry she'd go from a tigress to a doe :lol: Talk about metamorphosis!

Half_Blood26
September 19th, 2007, 8:06 pm
I know that Mine is a Phoenix, as Is Dumbledore's.

FleurduJardin
September 20th, 2007, 6:09 am
I'd like to rephrase one of my earlier questions - if Ginny's Patronus becomes a doe. I don't know where the feminist part of me was when I asked that. Why would it be the woman's Patronus that changed to match her mate's, why wouldn't it be the man's? After all, Snape's Patronus was Lily's.

So, does Harry's Patronus go from a stag to a horse (if Ginny's was a horse) or a tiger (if Ginny's was a tigress)? ;)

ChocolateFrog24
September 28th, 2007, 10:38 pm
Good question! You got me thinking about that! I don't really know...

FleurduJardin
September 30th, 2007, 6:47 am
Good question! You got me thinking about that! I don't really know...

I wish we could find out. Maybe it's the partner with the strongest personality that determines the Patronuses for the couple?

I like it by the way that Cho's Patronus is a swan. That graceful bird suits her perfectly. I was surprised Hermione's was an otter. I don't see Hermione as a gambolling otter at all, but I guess that's just me. I'd have seen her as a studious owl (I believe owls are supposed to be learned and wise in mythology.)

SDSPAGE
September 30th, 2007, 7:09 am
AD-phoenix.

i have a question that does a real death eater have the patronuse?

Hes
September 30th, 2007, 12:52 pm
AD-phoenix.

i have a question that does a real death eater have the patronuse?

I think JKR once said that Death Eaters don't use patronuses for comunication because they see it as positive magic, but that doesn't mean they can't use it

Dementors have been natural allies of the Death Eaters, but of course they would be capable of producing patronuses. Even DE must have had happy memories. So their patronus must have something to do with their characters just like any other wizards. Probably not the nicest animals I would say.

alienfrommars
September 30th, 2007, 3:38 pm
I dont really think about others patronuses but it would have been nice to find out what the twins were. I gather they would be the same.

harryismyhero17
September 30th, 2007, 4:33 pm
was dumbledore's patronus ever mentioned? i could see his being a Phoenix.

LunyLovegood
September 30th, 2007, 10:54 pm
I think, because Fred and George love to laugh and play jokes that their patronuses would be either baboons or raccoons.

Adam_Smith
October 2nd, 2007, 1:37 pm
I'd like to rephrase one of my earlier questions - if Ginny's Patronus becomes a doe. I don't know where the feminist part of me was when I asked that. Why would it be the woman's Patronus that changed to match her mate's, why wouldn't it be the man's? After all, Snape's Patronus was Lily's.

So, does Harry's Patronus go from a stag to a horse (if Ginny's was a horse) or a tiger (if Ginny's was a tigress)?
I doubt that Harry's patronus would change, because it already reflects a loved one: his father. If Ginny's were to change, it might change to reflect what Harry's Patronus would be, if it did not already reflect his Father. Besides, we don't know that Patronuses have to change to reflect a loved one.

NoDayBut2Day
October 2nd, 2007, 5:26 pm
I'm definitely loving the Fred/George having baboons for Patronuses.

(Babbling, bumbling, band of baboons, babbling bumbling band of baboons, babbling bumbling... :D)

CoeurDeLyon
October 2nd, 2007, 7:08 pm
was dumbledore's patronus ever mentioned? i could see his being a Phoenix.

I read an interview with Jo on mugglenet, and she did say it was a phoenix!

I think, because Fred and George love to laugh and play jokes that their patronuses would be either baboons or raccoons.
I like the idea that they would be raccoons. Twin raccoons!

. I was surprised Hermione's was an otter. I don't see Hermione as a gambolling otter at all, but I guess that's just me. I'd have seen her as a studious owl (I believe owls are supposed to be learned and wise in mythology.)

I agree with you. I dont understand the link between Hermione and a otter. The owl is so typical Hermione. Or possibly a horse. Its said in mythology that Poseidon gave horses to many heroes, and I think she would have been proud to have one as her patronus.

Tabbey
October 3rd, 2007, 7:51 pm
I think Mr Weasley's was mentioned on being a weasel in 'The Will Of Albus Dumbledore' when he announced that Scrimgeour would be visiting them.

I've always imagined Fred and George's being a pair of monkeys or a very mischievous animal.

As for Draco Malfoy, something sly and cunning, possibly a fox or a toad.

tuer3ssuci0
October 3rd, 2007, 7:54 pm
Yes, Fred and George's patronuses (patroni?) would have to be either a pair of monkeys or a pair of raccoons, in my visual.

RavenDoll
October 4th, 2007, 11:53 pm
I agree with you. I dont understand the link between Hermione and a otter. The owl is so typical Hermione. Or possibly a horse. Its said in mythology that Poseidon gave horses to many heroes, and I think she would have been proud to have one as her patronus.
otters are very independent and clever, arent they? they know how to take care of themselves....i dunno..ive always liked otters, not only theyre cute, but they seem very intelligent. i can see hte link between otters and hermione. owl...it seems a bit old to me.

i wonder what cedric's patronus was.....any guesses? im thinking maybe a dog...like a labrador...very loyal... im sure its nothing like a lion or a tiger, ced isnt like that...perhaps...whats a loyal, cedric-ish animal???? lol. and is patronus always an animaL?

FleurduJardin
October 5th, 2007, 3:50 am
owl...it seems a bit old to me.

i wonder what cedric's patronus was.....any guesses? im thinking maybe a dog...like a labrador...very loyal... im sure its nothing like a lion or a tiger, ced isnt like that...perhaps...whats a loyal, cedric-ish animal???? lol. and is patronus always an animaL?

Even owls were babies once. ;) But I see your point about otters.

Cedric's Patronus would, in my opinion, be a unicorn. Beautiful, pure and loyal.

Minisinoo has posted a fan fic where Cedric doesn't die but joins the DA. I haven't had time to read it (just looked at the table of contents and synopsis of chapters) - I wonder now if she gives Cedric a Patronus in her book, and what that Patronus is? I should go and try to find out. I hold for unicorn, I don't see Cedric as a dog. Besides, we already have Sirius as Padfoot, don't we? :cool:

Yes, I would think a patronus would always be an animal, but I don't really know. You'll have to ask Jo. :)

IAs for Draco Malfoy, something sly and cunning, possibly a fox or a toad.

Or a ferret, as when Mad-Eye turns him into one? :lol:

VenomBDP
October 5th, 2007, 6:13 am
Knowing my love of Star Wars, my patronus would probably be a freakin' Stormtrooper or something. :lol:

leah49
October 5th, 2007, 6:18 am
Knowing my love of Star Wars, my patronus would probably be a freakin' Stormtrooper or something. :lol:
Well, considering Stormtroopers aren't exactly animals, I'd say it'd probably be a Wookie or an Ewok or something like that. ;)

VenomBDP
October 5th, 2007, 6:26 am
Yeah, yeah... LOL Admit it though... there's just something inherently funny about a Stormtrooper running out and scaring away a Dementor...

RavenDoll
October 5th, 2007, 4:25 pm
hahah if i had a patronus....id want it to be a dolphin.

Muggle_Magic
October 5th, 2007, 6:48 pm
Mine would be a Fox, like the one in St-Exupéry's Little Prince. :)

I know someone in the HP books has a fox patronus but can't remember who, now...

Cho's Swan is perfect for her. :tu:

Voldemorts8thHorcrux
October 5th, 2007, 6:54 pm
That would still be one mighty big patronus! :D

I found it amusing that Umbridge and McGonagall both had cats as their patronuses!

Scrimgeour's patronus might have been a lion. He is often described as looking like an old lion. Maybe he was a lion animagus?!

Sirius' was probably a big shaggy dog. :)

Lucius' was probably a snake... Voldemort called him his "slippery friend".

is scrimgeor really brave enough to have a lion, yes, he was an auror, but as for the take on how to help stop Voldemort thing, he was a bit cowardly

leah49
October 5th, 2007, 7:17 pm
Yeah, yeah... LOL Admit it though... there's just something inherently funny about a Stormtrooper running out and scaring away a Dementor...
True. :)

I know someone in the HP books has a fox patronus but can't remember who, now...
I believe it's Seamus.

DJkeep
October 5th, 2007, 7:17 pm
Mine would be a German Shepherd!

ModestAuror
October 8th, 2007, 3:26 am
I'd like to think that Fred and George patronuses' were/are monkeys. I took the little test before and took it again, same results, its an eagle.

LilyDreamsOn
October 8th, 2007, 3:43 am
I'd want mine to be a horse. I think horses are some of the most magnificent animals on the planet, and I've always loved them dearly (and riding them, too!) and it's sort of fitting, because I was born in the year of the horse (Chinese Zodiac). Maybe I'll go do one of those Patronus Quizzes and see what I get.

_Flagrate_
October 8th, 2007, 6:09 pm
To the person who said Lucius could be a snake because LV calls him his "slippery friend", perhaps, but the slippery friend could also be because he avoided going to Azkaban for being a Death Eater.

It's strange, I don't know what my patronus would be, I'd like to think it'd be something big and cool like a bear. I'd love to have an elephant patronus! That'd be hilairous! But I think a snake would probably better suit me, and like the person before me said, I was also born in the Chinese year of the Snake which I found kinda weird as the patronus test I took told me it would be a snake too.

biscuitsforall
October 9th, 2007, 10:33 pm
My patronus would be a Fossa. The best animal in the world.

HermioneandRon7
October 10th, 2007, 3:46 am
I would like to take a patronus test. Where would I be able to take one?

_Flagrate_
October 10th, 2007, 7:29 pm
I would like to take a patronus test. Where would I be able to take one?

Just Google something like "what is my patronus?". There are thousands of tests for patronuses, as well as wands and animagi. I haven't come across particulary good ones for my answers, but there are a few out there.

mehvish_93
February 18th, 2008, 7:45 pm
I was thinking about patronusses and the relevancy they have to their character. Harry obviously had a stag due to the unbreakable link to James whilst Tonks had a wolf to mark her love for Lupin.

One character's patronus has always rather seemed out of character and that is Hermione. I personally would not have chosen a otter for Hermione as I don't see the links between Hermione and a otter. Infact I would have always thought that her patronus would be something a bit different. Wise and trustwrothy. Not that a otter sin't. No disrespect to otters. They just don't spring to my mind when I think of wise and trustwrothy. But then I think that maybe I am delving into her would be animagus form rather than her patronus. To test my idea I decide to answer a online What is your Patronus test in the way I thought Hermione would answer.

When I answered (in my opinion) like Hermione my number 1 patronus would be a pheonix. This is the link for all the other options that were given: http://www.selectsmart.com/FREE/select.php#results.

My questions to you are:

1) Do you agree or disagree with Hermione's patronus, the otter? Why?
2) If you have attempted to answer a patronus quiz like Hermione what animal did you get?

I may have answered the quiz not entirely like Hermione, after all everyone has different perceptions of the characters. I'd just like to know does everyone else agree with the otter.

Magi
February 19th, 2008, 10:29 pm
Otters are versatile and intelligent creatures, so I think that fits Hermione quite well.

There are even weirder Patronuses than Hermione's otter. Ernie's hog, for instance, or Seamus' fox. Neither seem to fit each character.

IgoRetla
February 19th, 2008, 10:52 pm
One character's patronus has always rather seemed out of character and that is Hermione. I personally would not have chosen a otter for Hermione as I don't see the links between Hermione and a otter. Infact I would have always thought that her patronus would be something a bit different. Wise and trustwrothy. Not that a otter sin't.

Jo said that she chose the otter for Hermione because it was one of her favorite animals. Much as Ron's patronus takes the form of a favorite of Jo's. I'll also add that otters are regarded as quick and clever, both of which fit Hermione.

There are even weirder Patronuses than Hermione's otter. Ernie's hog, for instance, or Seamus' fox. Neither seem to fit each character.

Ernie's was a boar (hint--phonetically, bore). As far as Seamus, foxes are clever. I think that fits Seamus--or at least Jo's view of him.

Hes
February 19th, 2008, 10:59 pm
Wasn't it also that JKR identified herself to a certain extent with Hermione, so it's logical in a way that Hermione the otter.

LoonyLuny
February 26th, 2008, 6:03 pm
I did three tests and the results were : aardvark, bear and horse ?

Anyway I think Fred and George's would definatly be some kind of Monkey or maybe a dolfin ?

Mrs Weasley would be a cow [:D] because cow love their young and would do anything to protect them (or heck pick another animal ^^)

Luna would be a dreamy animal ... maybe a fish ? I dunno they just look dreamy to me !

Cedric's should be a dog or something ... 'Cause he's a fighter and he's very trust-worthy.

Draco, as I see it, is pretty cowardly so ... A Guinea-pig x3

Imagine a guinea pig fighting off a dementor ! :D

IgoRetla
February 26th, 2008, 6:32 pm
Luna would be a dreamy animal ... maybe a fish ? I dunno they just look dreamy to me !

Luna's was a hare. Much as Ernie's was a Boar (think bore), with Luna, think hare-brained. As in, "hare-brained ideas".

Nice visual pun on Jo's part.

Muggle_Magic
February 26th, 2008, 7:05 pm
Cedric's should be a dog or something ... 'Cause he's a fighter and he's very trust-worthy.

Draco, as I see it, is pretty cowardly so ... A Guinea-pig x3

Imagine a guinea pig fighting off a dementor ! :D

IMHO, Draco's would be a ferret, like the fake Moody made him. :evil:

I don't see Cedric's as a dog... He's too unlike Sirius, though they're both handsome, brave and loyal. Sure he could be another breed of dog, a handsome, elegant one. But, being influenced by a very good piece of fan fic I read, I see him as a golden eagle. If it sounds weird, blame it on Minisinoo, the author of said fanfic. ;) She has Cedric become an Animagus and transforming into an eagle, and it seems your patronus takes the shape of the animal you become.

I guess this means McGonagall's Patronus is a cat with eyeglass markings? :lol:

Magi
February 28th, 2008, 1:06 am
I guess this means McGonagall's Patronus is a cat with eyeglass markings? :lol:

Indeed it is. We read about it in DH when she makes three Patronuses to send messages to the other Heads of House.

Graduand_Esk
February 28th, 2008, 1:40 am
Quite a few of the patronuses have some kind of connection to heraldry, or to old ideas of the magical world. Luna's hare is an acknowledgement of the tradition of hares being associated with witches (some people could supposedly turn themselves into hares according to old stories.) Most of the patronuses seem quite appropriate, but I would be curious to know how many of them changed form during or after DH, since that was a time of great emotional upheaval.

LoonyMagic
February 28th, 2008, 8:30 pm
IMHO, Draco's would be a ferret, like the fake Moody made him. :evil:

Omg! I'd love that! :D It would be so fitting!

As for Cedric, I would say something brave, yet very homely and loyal to it's pack/family/whatever. I would say a lion, but I'm not sure. Perhaps some kind of monkey? - but that sounds a bit silly. I'm really not sure. :lol:

FleurduJardin
February 28th, 2008, 10:35 pm

As for Cedric, I would say something brave, yet very homely and loyal to it's pack/family/whatever. I would say a lion, but I'm not sure. Perhaps some kind of monkey? - but that sounds a bit silly. I'm really not sure. :lol:

Agree :agree: re: Draco being a white ferret. :lol:

Cedric: If not an eagle, then a tiger or a pelican? (Pelicans sacrifice themselves for their brood. Tigers are known to fiercely protect their families.) Monkey? No... I don't see that. Maybe I'm biased because he's so handsome but I don't see it as a monkey or an ape. :)

gipro2003
February 28th, 2008, 11:04 pm

Yes, a ferret would be great for Draco. (Kind of ironic though, since ferrets and weasles are somewhat similar, and he abhors the Weasley family)

As for Cedric, definitely not a monkey, I just cant see that. I actually like the idea of an eagle. Or maybe some type of bear or something.

9and3quarters
February 28th, 2008, 11:18 pm
I find it interesting that Lily's patronus was a doe.

Although James was in the same animal family, I honestly cannot see why Lily is a doe.

Lily stood before harry in that crib to protect him like a polar bear protecting her cubs. Lily was a fierce mother and an even fiercer friend, just the fact that she defended snape in front of james and co shows that she is not meek.

Would you see a doe protecting her den from intrusion from a predator? although i think deep down her spirit was kind and loving (what you may associate with a doe), she was a fighter and a strong spirit.

Anyone get what i'm saying??

PerfectDystopia
February 29th, 2008, 1:46 am
I find it interesting that Lily's patronus was a doe.

Although James was in the same animal family, I honestly cannot see why Lily is a doe.

Lily stood before harry in that crib to protect him like a polar bear protecting her cubs. Lily was a fierce mother and an even fiercer friend, just the fact that she defended snape in front of james and co shows that she is not meek.

Would you see a doe protecting her den from intrusion from a predator? although i think deep down her spirit was kind and loving (what you may associate with a doe), she was a fighter and a strong spirit.

Anyone get what i'm saying??

Yea, that got to me too. It is cute and all that James and Lily had matching patronuses but I don't think a doe really fits her personality. I think her fierceness is a very predominant trait she has, and a doe doesn't really portray that. :/

Oh, and I would want my patronus to be a flamingo.

Raviolissimo
February 29th, 2008, 8:59 pm

i like just about all animals so i think my Patronus would have to be a vegetarian. and it would probably be good at swimming, but not so good at running. so maybe my Patronus would be a baby gray whale. i was in the water near one once, it was about 20 feet long.

i feel like i should have an idea on Draco's Patronus. i would say, "a rat", but that's not fair to rats.

birdi86
February 29th, 2008, 9:33 pm
One character's patronus has always rather seemed out of character and that is Hermione. I personally would not have chosen a otter for Hermione as I don't see the links between Hermione and a otter

Otter = Ottery St. Catchpole, the home to the Weasleys?

Also, otters are members of the Mustelidae family which also includes ferrets and weasels! (Weasel being the patronus of the Weasley family patriarch, Arthur.)

So, she gave Hermione a patronus that sort of related to her love, Ron and the family she would eventually marry into.

Speaking of ferrets, I've wondered what Draco's is as well. Unlike animagi, I don't think patronuses are necessarily related to one's internal nature. But they could be. Judging from Harry's, Hermione's, Tonks and Snape's however, they seem to be related to whatever one draws protection or comfort from. Harry drew comfort and protection from his dad (and mum), Hermione from the Weasleys and Ron, Tonks from Remus and Snape from Lily. Their patronuses reflect that.

So perhaps Draco's would be a dragon (like his name) or a snake (the symbol of Slytherin and home to his family for centuries) or even a peacock like the ones that roam his family estate and would be associated with his home and wealth and comfort.

As for me? My patronus would be a dog. Not sure what kind but definitely a dog - they're my favorite animals and my family has always had one.

Alicks
February 29th, 2008, 10:23 pm
My patronus would be a dolphin. I swam with wild ones yesterday it was amazing

kala_way
February 29th, 2008, 10:55 pm
My guess for Draco would be a fox. But I think it would be hilarious if it was a peacock :lol: I could imagine him being completely embarrassed about that!

I bet Mundunges Fletcher would be something like a vulture and I could see Crabbe or Goyle having hyenas ;)

I think mine would be some sort of bird, maybe an owl or crow.

Mad_Druid
March 1st, 2008, 7:37 am
I wonder if Fred & George had the same Patronus? I could see them perhaps having monkeys. Curious, playful, undoubtably intelligent.

Cedric. My first thought was a large dog, maybe a Saint Bernard or a Retriever. Very loyal.

Draco. This is a hard one because I felt that we were only just getting to know Draco at the end of DH, all else before that was just him parroting his parent's beliefs. Probably an animal that bluffs it's way out of fights. It seems tough but doesn't actually want a confrontation.

I would like my Patronus to be a Cheetah.

kala_way
March 1st, 2008, 8:24 am
Thinking about it, it's probably similar to daemons in His Dark Materials the way they relate to and protect you.

gemstarz101
March 1st, 2008, 9:06 am
The ones we know for sure:

Harry - Phoenix
Ron - Terrier
Hermione - Otter
Mr. Weasly - Weasel (typical ....)
Kingsly - Lynx
Lily Potter - Doe
James potter - Stag
Snape - Doe
Luna - Hare
Tonks - Wolf

I cant think of any more but I thought the other characters would have patronouses like this:

Voldermort: Giant snake
Mr. Malfoy - Snake or peacock maybe
Mrs. Weasly - A bear pehaps?
Cho - A swan
Draco - A white ferret (:lol:)
Sirius - A great big dog
Fred & George - 2 monkies
Hagrid - Probly a dragon or a really fierce creature
Ginny - I am really stuck for this one ....

And did anyone else think it was really sweet that Tonk's patronuses was a wolf?

Hermi0nechik92
March 1st, 2008, 9:30 am
I know i'm gonna be really random here, but i thought i would add.. In the movie they show Ginny's patronus as a horse, stamping and shaking its head...I love that Ginny's is a horse, she's so free spirited and beautiful that it's a great representation!
My patronus is a phoenix

xFluerDelacourx
March 1st, 2008, 2:53 pm
My patronus would probaly be a small white cat.

Like kala_way said their probaly alot like daemons in His Dark Materials series cause they protect you and relate to you by an animal representation of your soul.

LoonyMagic
March 1st, 2008, 2:59 pm
Thinking about it, it's probably similar to daemons in His Dark Materials the way they relate to and protect you.

:agree: That's how I've always seen them. Some that have been mentioned seem to represent the persons personality and features.

PerfectDystopia
March 1st, 2008, 8:10 pm

Harry - Phoenix

Isn't Harry's patronus a stag?
A pheonix is Dumbledore's patronus.

gemstarz101
March 1st, 2008, 11:14 pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstarz101

Harry - Phoenix

Isn't Harry's patronus a stag?
A pheonix is Dumbledore's patronus.

Opps - my mistake

Magi
March 3rd, 2008, 12:44 am

Harry - Phoenix
Ron - Terrier
Hermione - Otter
Mr. Weasly - Weasel (typical ....)
Kingsly - Lynx
Lily Potter - Doe
James potter - Stag
Snape - Doe
Luna - Hare
Tonks - Wolf
McGonangall: cat
Umbridge: cat
Ernie: Boar
Seamus: Fox
Dumbledore: Phoenix
Cho: Swan

Voldermort: Giant snake
Mr. Malfoy - Snake or peacock maybe
Mrs. Weasly - A bear pehaps?
Cho - A swan
Draco - A white ferret (:lol:)
Sirius - A great big dog
Fred & George - 2 monkies
Hagrid - Probly a dragon or a really fierce creature
Ginny - I am really stuck for this one ....
JKR said none of the DE have Patronuses, because they never needed them.

As I mentioned above, Cho's is a swan. :)

In the books, Ginny couldn't produce a Patronus as of OotP. But if she had a Patronus, the movie portrayal would fit nicely: horse.

I don't think Hagrid knows enough magic - or has the talent - to create a Patronus.

potterwotcher
March 3rd, 2008, 1:51 am
Isn't Ginny's patronus a unicorn? I can't remember which book its mentioned in, but I seem to recall this...

Umm, Fred and George's...I like the idea of racoons, or maybe hyenas?

Alicks
March 6th, 2008, 5:47 am
I reckon Ginny's would be a bat cause she loves the bat bogey hex

birdi86
March 6th, 2008, 7:33 am
I reckon Ginny's would be a bat cause she loves the bat bogey hex

Ginny's patronus is a horse as shown in the movie version of OOTP and confirmed by JKR.

Hermi0nechik92
March 7th, 2008, 3:25 am
yay! i think the horse fits soo so well!

secretkeeper007
March 7th, 2008, 3:34 am
Fred and George: Spider monkeys!
Draco: definitely a white ferret!

I'd be a completely black cat with bright amber eyes, just cos i've been told so many times that I look like one.

The_Green_Woods
March 7th, 2008, 3:53 am
But I think it would be hilarious if it was a peacock :lol: I could imagine him being completely embarrassed about that!

LOL, he would never send a message through his patronus. Between a peacock, a white one like those in Malfoy Manor, and a ferret, I somehow think Draco would prefer to be a ferret. LOL Draco as a peacock is just hilarious.

FleurduJardin
March 7th, 2008, 4:30 am
Molly Weasley's Patronus? Though physically, in human form, she doesn't have the build for it, I see her as a tigress. Tigresses are known to fiercely defend their young, and you all saw how she took on Bellatrix with that famous line "Not my daughter, you b**!" :lol:

Draco, definitely a ferret.

Narcissa? Any idea? (If she does have one, that is.) Some animal both languorous but showing determination and single-mindedness when the need arises.

Hes
March 7th, 2008, 4:26 pm
Molly Weasley's Patronus? Though physically, in human form, she doesn't have the build for it, I see her as a tigress. Tigresses are known to fiercely defend their young, and you all saw how she took on Bellatrix with that famous line "Not my daughter, you b**!" :lol:

I like that idea, but I would rather imagine a lioness. They live in family groups, they do everything for their cubs and aren't as solitary as tigers are.

Narcissa? Any idea? (If she does have one, that is.) Some animal both languorous but showing determination and single-mindedness when the need arises.

Tough one, a creature that has a cool and guarded outlook but does anything to protect her family :hmm: no idea.

PerfectDystopia
March 8th, 2008, 8:30 am

Maybe it would the female equivalent of Luicius' patronus? It would be nice if they had matching patronuses like James and Lily did.

Mad_Druid
March 10th, 2008, 10:36 am
I think that it would have to be something elegant and aloof for the Malfoys. Snow Leopards, Arctic Foxes. Or maybe something like a python.

Yoana
March 10th, 2008, 11:36 am
Or an albino peacock :whistle:

Hes
March 10th, 2008, 1:38 pm
A peacock makes sense, it suits the Malfoys. Since they are a very close couple it's possible that they have similar patronuses. A peacock is a proud bird that likes to show off (the male with his feathers) and Lucius always liked to show off his power and wealth.

Muggle_Magic
March 11th, 2008, 5:31 am
A peacock makes sense, it suits the Malfoys. Since they are a very close couple it's possible that they have similar patronuses. A peacock is a proud bird that likes to show off (the male with his feathers) and Lucius always liked to show off his power and wealth.
That'd be perfect for them! Brilliant idea, Yoana and Hes! :tu:

Concerning Cedric, one fan fic I read had him Transforming into an eagle as an Animagus, but his Patronus is a white buffalo. That puzzled me. First time I see the animagus and patronus animals being different. But then this is fanon, not canon, so :shrug:

Hes
March 11th, 2008, 11:36 am
Concerning Cedric, one fan fic I read had him Transforming into an eagle as an Animagus, but his Patronus is a white buffalo. That puzzled me. First time I see the animagus and patronus animals being different. But then this is fanon, not canon, so :shrug:

You would think that an eagle would be more suitable to a Ravenclaw, but Cedric liked to fly so it makes a little sense. I don't understand the buffalo at all. They are animals that live in groups, but they are also quick tempered, which doesn't match up with Cedric for me.

For Cedric I would consider a very loyal, smart, courageous and friendly animal.

Mad_Druid
March 12th, 2008, 7:11 am

I can't imagine Narcissa having a peafowl though, they're very dull looking compared to the males.

Hes
March 12th, 2008, 10:45 am
I can't imagine Narcissa having a peafowl though, they're very dull looking compared to the males.

Narcissa wasn't at her best at times either, but the peacock connection between Lucius and Narcissa is mainly based on Lucius anyway.

I like a snow white stoat as patronus animal for the Malfoys too. It's connected to royalty, something the Malfoys considered themselves to be.

Mad_Druid
March 12th, 2008, 11:57 am
Narcissa wasn't at her best at times either, but the peacock connection between Lucius and Narcissa is mainly based on Lucius anyway.

I like a snow white stoat as patronus animal for the Malfoys too. It's connected to royalty, something the Malfoys considered themselves to be.

I like the idea of a stoat, especially considering the fact that they look quite similar to weasels :lol:. The Malfoys and the Weasleys are related after all :p

SlytherinSeeker
March 12th, 2008, 1:54 pm
Mine is a Lion(Like Aslan from Chronicles of NArnia)

MC2456
March 12th, 2008, 3:46 pm
Albus (I'm using their first names 'cos now there are TWO ADs)-Phoenix
Aberforth-Goat
Minerva-Tabby Cat
Arthur-Weasel
Sevvie-Doe
Lily-Doe
James Sr.-Stag
Hermione-Otter
Ron-Jack Russel Terrier
Luna-Rabbit
Ernie-Boar
Ginny-Horse (I was like WTH? Perhaps JKR didn't want too many does! ^-^)
Dolores-Cat
Tonks-Werewolf
Kingsley-Lynx
Cho-Swan
Seamus-Fox
Lucius Malfoy-Peacock (Which chappie was it?)

OK, these are the Patronuses I think which fits the character. NOTE: THESE ARE MERELY MY THOUGHTS, NOT THE REAL THING!

Remus-Lion/Dove/Wolf (highly doubt 'wolf' though)
Peter-Rat
Voldy-Snake (IF he can perform it.)
Fred-Monkey
George-Raccoon/Mongoose (I think he's more gentler of the two, and I can't seem to see his Patronus as a monkey, y'know?)
Sirius-Dog/Lion
Neville-Lion
Oliver-Eagle (or some sort of bird. not because of his Quidditch skills)

Um...not sure about the rest. I'm not sure about mine, it would be a nocturnal animal, (eg. cat, bat, wolf) or a dove.

LadyMalfoysLove
March 12th, 2008, 6:06 pm
I have found a quiz for to know what is your patronus
You can try it here: What's your patronus? (http://www.allthetests.com/quiz15/quizpu.php?testid=1121098607)

My patronus is a Phoenix

kala_way
March 12th, 2008, 7:55 pm
Ginny-Horse (I was like WTH? Perhaps JKR didn't want too many does! ^-^) true, could be. Though I don't know that she would reflect Harry that directly anyway. She's always seemed more independent. I don't think your patronus has to directly picture the person you love. I could actually even see hers being a phoenix, since Fawkes and Harry saved her when she was young, and she might link them in her mind.

Also, I don't know that the ones in the movie came directly from JKR, did she ever confirm that? They're good guesses I think though.

Lucius Malfoy-Peacock (Which chappie was it?) :lol: wasn't in the book at all, just speculation!

George-Raccoon/Mongoose (I think he's more gentler of the two, and I can't seem to see his Patronus as a monkey, y'know?)
I think a monkey, raccoon or mongoose is a great guess for Fred or George.

What about Fleur or Krum? I could see Krum as maybe a Siberian tiger or a wolf. As for Fleur, I could see her having a dolphin or :D a flamingo.
I don't know about Cedric, maybe a type of dog like a St. Bernard or Huskie, strong, smart, and loyal. He seems too down to earth to me for an eagle.

gipro2003
March 12th, 2008, 8:40 pm
Krum- I could definitely see his being a Siberian tiger.
Fleur- Possibly a swan? A flamingo I could see too :)
Cedric- I thought of a dog as possiblity at one point too.

As for Ginny's being a horse (which I dont know if JK has confirmed) I really dont think that patronuses have to reflect the person you love.

And a question about Tonks- Hers changed into a wolf AFTER she fell in love with Lupin. Any speculation on what it was beforehand?

EmmyRocks
March 12th, 2008, 8:52 pm
Albus (I'm using their first names 'cos now there are TWO ADs)-Phoenix
Aberforth-Goat
Minerva-Tabby Cat
Arthur-Weasel
Sevvie-Doe
Lily-Doe
James Sr.-Stag
Hermione-Otter
Ron-Jack Russel Terrier
Luna-Rabbit
Ernie-Boar
Ginny-Horse (I was like WTH? Perhaps JKR didn't want too many does! ^-^)
Dolores-Cat
Tonks-Werewolf
Kingsley-Lynx
Cho-Swan
Seamus-Fox
Lucius Malfoy-Peacock (Which chappie was it?)

OK, these are the Patronuses I think which fits the character. NOTE: THESE ARE MERELY MY THOUGHTS, NOT THE REAL THING!

Remus-Lion/Dove/Wolf (highly doubt 'wolf' though)
Peter-Rat
Voldy-Snake (IF he can perform it.)
Fred-Monkey
Sirius-Dog/Lion
Neville-Lion
Oliver-Eagle (or some sort of bird. not because of his Quidditch skills)

Um...not sure about the rest. I'm not sure about mine, it would be a nocturnal animal, (eg. cat, bat, wolf) or a dove.

I dont agree on most of those. :no:

MC2456
March 13th, 2008, 4:14 am
I dont agree on most of those. :no:

Well, it is just my crazy speculations :D

Hes
March 13th, 2008, 1:43 pm
MC2456 I agree with you that it's highly unlikely that Lupin would have a wolf as patronus. He hated being a werewolf and he doesn't really want to be compared with them. So if it's possible to (unconciously) have so influence on what your patronus will be, Lupin would certainly not choose a wolf. What he would have though I can't imagine.

kala_way
March 14th, 2008, 5:21 am
I'd never really thought of Lupin, he's definitely a harder one to pin down. No animal really seems to represent Tonks, and she came to him so late in his life.
What would he view as protective and caring other than the sun or maybe his potion :lol: All I can think of (even aside from S/R) is a dog, since Sirius and to a lesser degree James protected him from himself on so many occasions and accepted him despite his differences. But then Sirius was away from him for so many years, so...idk
I'm amazed that we don't already know what his patronus is since he spent all that time teaching Harry. He never cast one himself? Or at least it was never remarkable enough for Harry to mention it.

FleurduJardin
March 14th, 2008, 5:43 am
I'd never really thought of Lupin, he's definitely a harder one to pin down. No animal really seems to represent Tonks, and she came to him so late in his life.
[...]
I'm amazed that we don't already know what his patronus is since he spent all that time teaching Harry. He never cast one himself? Or at least it was never remarkable enough for Harry to mention it.
If Animagi have Patronuses like the animals they become (cat for McGonagall, stag for James Potter), aren't werewolves' patronuses, well, wolves? :hmm:

Tonks' Patronus changes when she falls in love with Lupin, it becomes a wolf, like him. I can't recall whether JKR said what her Patronus was before then, but when she sends a Patronus Message to let people at Hogwarts know that she's bringing Harry (who Malfoy had left on the train, under his Invisibility Cloak), Harry is surprised at her new Patronus. My memory is a bit hazy, but I think that's what's in the book.

P.S. Small vocabulary detail, but isn't the female of the peacock a pea-hen? - I may be wrong there too, though.

If Bellatrix had a Patronus (which, as a DE, I don't think she does), do you think it would be a viper? :evil:

kala_way
March 14th, 2008, 7:12 am
If Animagi have Patronuses like the animals they become (cat for McGonagall, stag for James Potter), aren't werewolves' patronuses, well, wolves? :hmm: yea, but an animagus form represents who you are to begin with. If you're a kind, gentle person you're not going to have a viper as your animagus form. Remus didn't choose to be a werewolf and from his character I don't think it represented who he was either. I'm sure it's possible though. I think Tonks' changed to a wolf because she even loved that part of Remus, which he hated.

P.S. Small vocabulary detail, but isn't the female of the peacock a pea-hen? - I may be wrong there too, though. wiki'd it and you're right! I've never even heard the term peahen, though I guess it fits the terminology. :cool:

If Bellatrix had a Patronus (which, as a DE, I don't think she does), do you think it would be a viper? :evil: could be, she's definitely vicious enough, though she always seemed to rush into things head on with rage and little thought--maybe a bull :lol:

Bowtruckled
March 14th, 2008, 8:41 am
mine would be a powerful quarter horse...

Hes
March 14th, 2008, 11:00 am
could be, she's definitely vicious enough, though she always seemed to rush into things head on with rage and little thought--maybe a bull :lol:

A viper or bull seems to fit. If Bella is anything like Tonks, it might be a snake. After all Bella was really (more or less) in love with Voldemort. The bull does fit her temper too.

]mine would be a powerful quarter horse...

Bowtruckled, I think you might be interested in this thread What Form Would Your Patronus Take? v2 (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=89270&highlight=patronus) which is an excellent thread to discuss your own potential patronus :)

MC2456
March 15th, 2008, 10:00 am
Remus, yeah, he's very difficult to crack down. He strikes me as having a lot of inner strength, (anyone in his situation would either go mad and/or want to inflict someone else. *cough* Fenrir *cough* But that is outside of the point) but he's also gentle and kind. He's the best person to go to for comfort; Molly and even Harry have been comforted by him. So it's some animal who's comforting, gentle, yet has a lot of inner strength. Is there an animal like that?

Out of the point: What is IMO?

[QUOTE=Hes;4955566]A viper or bull seems to fit. If Bella is anything like Tonks, it might be a snake. After all Bella was really (more or less) in love with Voldemort. The bull does fit her temper too.

I don't think she's a bull patronus/character. I think a bull's gentler than her. If I were to face a charging bull, or Bellatrix, I'd choose the charging bull. And, and you can make the bull do things for you in a farm or something, but nobody can make Bella do anything. Also, I am a bull, and I assure you I'm nothing like Bella. (OK, fine, I'm a Taurus. Big difference)

ChuckNorris
March 15th, 2008, 3:09 pm
I agree that Remus' patronus probably isn't a wolf/dog creature. And maybe the reason we don't know what it is is because JKR had just as much trouble thinking one up as us. Since it's an embodiment of one's soul, and Lupin longed to be free of the shackles of werewolfism, maybe his patronus was just a man or wizard unaffected by the condition. I know patronuses are generally an animal form, but technically people are animals too.

The other possibility I've considered is that it would be a phoenix illustrating his regard for Dumbledore. The headmaster allowed him to come to school, a place where he found acceptance and friends instead of fear and ostracization. Dumbledore provided ways continually to include Lupin and protect him - the shack and the whomping willow, hiring him on his staff, including him in the Order, etc. Perhaps the impact of such attention was profound enough to effect his patronus.

We never see Sirius patronus either, do we? I suppose it's a foregone conclusion that his was a dog, but what is the possibility that his fondness for James and Harry has caused it to change to a stag as well? What else might it have been if not a dog?

IMO (in my opinion) Bella is undoubtedly a serpent of some sort, or even a dragon. Possibly a giant cobra, a Basilisk or a nesting Hungarian Horntail. It begs the question whether dark witches and wizards can even conjure a patronus since it tends to be a non-dark practice requiring a really really good memory at the genesis and being extremely effective against Dementors - the chief security guards of the criminaly dark. It seems like it shouldn't be possible.

MC2456
March 15th, 2008, 4:18 pm
After much thought, I think Remus' Patronus would be a lamb. It is the natural prey of wolves, and Remus is also a sort of "prey" to the wolf side of him. Lambs are gentle and peaceful, which does describe Remus' character, most of the time. Also, in the Bible, lambs were seen as sacrifice, and Remus, too, sacrificed himself, for the good of all. I know it's a crazy speculation, but well...it just seems to fit so much.

Oh, yeah, thanks for teaching me IMO, Chuck!

DixieWitch
March 17th, 2008, 12:32 am
IMO (in my opinion) Bella is undoubtedly a serpent of some sort, or even a dragon. Possibly a giant cobra, a Basilisk or a nesting Hungarian Horntail. It begs the question whether dark witches and wizards can even conjure a patronus since it tends to be a non-dark practice requiring a really really good memory at the genesis and being extremely effective against Dementors - the chief security guards of the criminaly dark. It seems like it shouldn't be possible.

i think jo said something like this in an interview once...at least, i know i've heard it from somewhere. anyway, someone was wondering why the death eaters don't use patronuses to contact each other if the dark mark is only a two-way connection between voldemort and the death eaters, and the answering person said that they didn't have the right kind of happy memories or something. the dementors feed on happy energy; perhaps evil people aren't truly happy (wickedness never was happiness...some scripture somewhere that's stuck with me).

Bellamort333
March 17th, 2008, 1:27 pm
On JK Rowling's website, it said:
Only special, powerful people can have patronuses. At the end of the sixth book, Draco couldn't produce a patronus. :no: He might never have had a patronus...

Hes
March 17th, 2008, 2:05 pm
Remus, yeah, he's very difficult to crack down. He strikes me as having a lot of inner strength, (anyone in his situation would either go mad and/or want to inflict someone else. *cough* Fenrir *cough* But that is outside of the point) but he's also gentle and kind. He's the best person to go to for comfort; Molly and even Harry have been comforted by him. So it's some animal who's comforting, gentle, yet has a lot of inner strength. Is there an animal like that?

A cat, but that wouldn't work would it :lol: or a dog. I can't really think of any other animals... a mule fits the description too :hmm:

I don't think she's a bull patronus/character. I think a bull's gentler than her. If I were to face a charging bull, or Bellatrix, I'd choose the charging bull. And, and you can make the bull do things for you in a farm or something, but nobody can make Bella do anything. Also, I am a bull, and I assure you I'm nothing like Bella. (OK, fine, I'm a Taurus. Big difference)

An African buffalo then, they are one of the most dangerous animals that exist and have a fiery temper.

I think Death Eaters and other evil people can produce a patronus, but simple never did it (we never saw them do it) because they didn't need it. Even the people on the wrong side must have been able to have happy memories. They just didn't have to use patronuses but they were very talented wizards and witches so if they wanted I am sure they could have done it.

DixieWitch
March 17th, 2008, 6:50 pm
remus strikes me as having a bull/ox...thing. they're very sturdy animals, capable of bearing a lot of weight and work and generally a rock of sense. ox/bulls are also a lot gentler than some people make them out to be; it's just the ones in the rodeos that are all grr (well, if someone tied a rope to your hindquarters and poked you with sticks, wouldn't you retaliate?) and the territorial ones (especially during breeding season). so...yeah.

kala_way
March 17th, 2008, 8:28 pm
Yep, I don't think that most deatheaters have enough positivity within them to create a patronus. I think that's why Snape was able to stand so long around them, if he'd ever had to make a patronus he would have been found out.
But I don't really think that's the point. I think it's just a reflection on their character to think about what each person views as their joy and protection. So whether they could actually make one or not doesn't really matter. Same with animagus'.:)

Somebody mentioned a sheep before for Remus, as the natural opposite of the wolf. I think that's an interesting idea. Perhaps a ram? then you have the aspects of tenacity as well, which I think he has to a degree.

DixieWitch
March 18th, 2008, 5:55 pm
hmm...this is true...maybe a sheep-like patronus, then, for our dear remus. :D

MC2456
March 23rd, 2008, 12:23 pm
I find it rather odd why Jo decided to leave out Remus' Patronus. Remus actually introduced the topic to Harry, so his own Patronus should at least have a mention.

LoonyMagic
March 23rd, 2008, 1:29 pm
I find it rather odd why Jo decided to leave out Remus' Patronus. Remus actually introduced the topic to Harry, so his own Patronus should at least have a mention.

I agree, I do find it quite odd. I'm really inclined to say it is a werewolf, staying true to what he is, and that is why she never revealed in in PoA, because it would have given away part of the plot and more people would have guessed Remus' problem. But part of me thinks that it would be something else. But I really don't know what else it could be. :)

Hes
March 23rd, 2008, 3:25 pm
The reason why I am so set against a werewolf patronus, although I really don't know any other animal, is that a patronus is something positive. It comes from inside and it's something that unconsciously represents you. Remus hates that he is a werewolf and fights it with every possible method. So a patronus made with positive memories and feelings that represents the hated werewolf shape... that is conflicting for me.

I would love to know how much control a person has when the patronus is cast in the sense of what animal it represents.

If someone had asked Harry which creature he thought represents him I doubt he would have chosen a stag. But because of his family history he got the stag. It came from inside of him.

Remus wouldn't have liked a werewolf patronus at all IMO, so maybe if it really was a werewolf he avoided to use it...

LoonyMagic
March 23rd, 2008, 4:38 pm
The reason why I am so set against a werewolf patronus, although I really don't know any other animal, is that a patronus is something positive. It comes from inside and it's something that unconsciously represents you. Remus hates that he is a werewolf and fights it with every possible method. So a patronus made with positive memories and feelings that represents the hated werewolf shape... that is conflicting for me.

I would love to know how much control a person has when the patronus is cast in the sense of what animal it represents.

If someone had asked Harry which creature he thought represents him I doubt he would have chosen a stag. But because of his family history he got the stag. It came from inside of him.

Remus wouldn't have liked a werewolf patronus at all IMO, so maybe if it really was a werewolf he avoided to use it...

I agree. Upon conjuring a patronus, Remus would be trying to think of his happiest memory, and a werewolf patronus wouldn't reflect that. Often patronuses refelct something or someone that makes us truely happy. Remus fought against his nature of being a werewolf, and always felt disgusted with himself, so I agree, I don't think it would have been a werewolf. Perhaps his patronus would have been a calm, peaceful animal to counter the werewolf inside of him. :)

Montse
March 23rd, 2008, 4:48 pm
i have a question,and i dont know if it has been discussed or not,sorry..lazy about reading the whole thread...you think ginny´s patronus became a doe too...what was he original patronus anyway...i never stopped to check on that?

DixieWitch
March 24th, 2008, 1:52 am
ooh, that's a good question. i was wondering that myself. someone's sig says something like: "is it a coincidence that lily's patronus is a doe?" and jo answered something along the lines of the patronus of one person often reflects or matches the one of the person they love or of some other big emotional attachment. so, i would say that yes, ginny's is a doe at this point. but what was it before?

Montse
March 24th, 2008, 1:59 am
i would say that yes, ginny's is a doe at this point. but what was it before?
i like to think so too.but i am clueless about what it was...

birdi86
March 24th, 2008, 2:06 am
Maybe Remus' patronus is of a wolf rather than a werewolf?

so, i would say that yes, ginny's is a doe at this point. but what was it before?

A horse.

I don't think it necessarily has to change. I don't think Ron's became an otter or Hermione's a female Jack Russell terrier.

DixieWitch
March 24th, 2008, 2:12 am
no one said it had to, but jo said that it often happens. i think ron's and hermione's are just fine, though...:lol: i love heron...

Montse
March 24th, 2008, 2:13 am
thankyou for the patronus thing...i had been curious all day!!!!

it doesnt have to,i like to think Ginny did change it....but looking at her personality....she probably didnt...i dont know...uncertain...

anonymous4
March 24th, 2008, 3:28 pm
I vote for a ferret patronus for Draco.

Does anyone know Neville's patronus?

I thought of a badger.

Badgers are fierce animals and will protect themselves and their young at all costs. Badgers are capable of fighting off much larger animals such as wolves, coyotes and bears.

I got that from Wikepedia. It also says that when they bite they hold on and never let go.

His wife is a Hufflepuff. The sorting hat spent more time considering what house for him than anyone. Jo said in an interview that it was considering Hufflepuff. (We know he is a true Gryffendor, but he has a lot of Hufflepuff tendencies. He is loyal, hardworking and nonjudgemental.)

Badgers dig in the dirt and are earthy. They are heavy set and short leged. (Neville is described that way in the books though he could have grown taller and thiner as he grew up.)

Anyone have other ideas?

DixieWitch
March 25th, 2008, 12:57 am
that sounds good to me.

His wife is a Hufflepuff.

:upset: so i'm a diehard lunville shipper. sue me. :D

MC2456
March 26th, 2008, 9:39 am
i have a question,and i dont know if it has been discussed or not,sorry..lazy about reading the whole thread...you think ginny´s patronus became a doe too...what was he original patronus anyway...i never stopped to check on that?

It's a horse. You can't have too many does I guess! But is three that many, if hers was a doe as well?

that sounds good to me.

:upset: so i'm a diehard lunville shipper. sue me. :D

High-five!

Does anyone know Neville's patronus?

I thought of a badger.

I got that from Wikepedia. It also says that when they bite they hold on and never let go.

His wife is a Hufflepuff. The sorting hat spent more time considering what house for him than anyone. Jo said in an interview that it was considering Hufflepuff. (We know he is a true Gryffendor, but he has a lot of Hufflepuff tendencies. He is loyal, hardworking and nonjudgemental.)

Badgers dig in the dirt and are earthy. They are heavy set and short leged. (Neville is described that way in the books though he could have grown taller and thiner as he grew up.)

Anyone have other ideas?

I don't know...I think he would be a lion, to represent his Gryffindor-ness. Or maybe a swan. Not that he likes Cho or anything, but Neville's progess in the book is truly like the story Ugly Duckling.

At first, he was this shy, gawky kid who didn't seem to fit with neither the nerds nor the jocks nor the popular kids, but then he stayed true to himself and proved to everyone his worth, while quietly enduring the tortures from his schoolmates and Snape.

Neville's story a whole lot like the Ugly Duckling story, he (the duckling) was ugly when he was a kid (well, duckling) too, and all the other ducklings laughed at him. Then, he has all these events and when he looked at himself, he was a swan. To be continued...

MissCapria
March 26th, 2008, 8:12 pm

Yeah I aggree :tu:

It would deffinatly suit him. :lol:

GrangerHermione
March 26th, 2008, 8:23 pm
It's a horse. You can't have too many does I guess! But is three that many, if hers was a doe as well?

Oooh, we talked about this same thing a while back in the 'Lily Evans Potter: Character Analysis' thread. Here's (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=107896&page=21) the link if you want to check it out.
So, we talked about how patronuses change due to emotions. Like when Tonk's changed to the same thing as Lupin's because she loved him. And Lily's patronus changed to a doe because Jame's was a stag. But they weren't the exact same thing, like Tonk's and Lupin's; they matched. It may be because James and Lily's love is reciprocal, while Tonks and Lupin's was not at the time. So I think that Ginny's patronus actually may change to a doe to match Harry's stag because their love is reciprocal. :) Just a thought.

DeathlyH
March 26th, 2008, 8:25 pm

When did we hear that it was a horse? Some interview with Jo that I missed? Because I know that we never read about it in the series...

GrangerHermione
March 26th, 2008, 8:28 pm
When did we hear that it was a horse? Some interview with Jo that I missed? Because I know that we never read about it in the series...

I'm pretty sure that Ginny's patronus is mentioned in OotP when the DA are working on patronuses. :)

LoonyMagic
March 26th, 2008, 8:34 pm
Oooh, we talked about this same thing a while back in the 'Lily Evans Potter: Character Analysis' thread. Here's (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=107896&page=21) the link if you want to check it out.
So, we talked about how patronuses change due to emotions. Like when Tonk's changed to the same thing as Lupin's because she loved him. And Lily's patronus changed to a doe because Jame's was a stag. But they weren't the exact same thing, like Tonk's and Lupin's; they matched. It may be because James and Lily's love is reciprocal, while Tonks and Lupin's was not at the time. So I think that Ginny's patronus actually may change to a doe to match Harry's stag because their love is reciprocal. :) Just a thought.

Some really interesting thoughts!! :D Ginny's love for Harry is reciprocal, so it's entirely possible that Ginny's partonus does turn into a doe. However, I think I'd quite like it if it stayed as it was. I see Ginny as very independent and someone who wouldn't change as much...but then again... I'm torn, I'm not sure what to think. :shrug:

DeathlyH
March 26th, 2008, 8:48 pm
I'm pretty sure that Ginny's patronus is mentioned in OotP when the DA are working on patronuses. :)

:huh: I think that was only in the movie. I'm rereading OotP right now, and the only ones mentioned are Harry's stag obviously, Hermione's otter and Cho's swan. But if the producers included it, then Jo must have told them first what Ginny's was. Because they depicted Luna's as a rabbit, and in DH it turned out to be a rabbit.

kala_way
March 26th, 2008, 9:11 pm
:huh: I think that was only in the movie. I'm rereading OotP right now, and the only ones mentioned are Harry's stag obviously, Hermione's otter and Cho's swan. But if the producers included it, then Jo must have told them first what Ginny's was. Because they depicted Luna's as a rabbit, and in DH it turned out to be a rabbit.
Yea, that's what I was thinking as well. It's never mentioned but that does seem the sort of thing they'd ask Jo about.

What about some of the teachers? We know Snape and McGonagall right, but what about the others? I doubt Trelawney could do it but I wouldn't doubt if she was a dodo bird or some animal associated with mysticism. Neither of the other heads were the animals of their house so I wonder what Sprout and Flitwick would be? Maybe a mole for Sprout?

Forlong
March 26th, 2008, 11:50 pm
Okay, I know list have probably already been provided, but I've got ALL of them.

Seen in the books:
Cho Chang--a swan
Aberforth Dumbledor--a goat
Albus Dumbledor--a pheonix
Hermione Granger--an otter
Luna Lovegood--a hare
Minevra McGonagall--a cat
Harry Potter and James Potter (the 1st)--a stag
Lily Potter and Severus Snape--a doe
Kingsley Shacklebolt--a lynx
Dean Thomas--a boar
Nymphadora Tonks Lupin--a warewolf
Dolorus Umbridge--a cat
Arthur Weasley--a weasle
Ron Weasley--a dog
Ginny Weasley--a mare (that's a horse)

Implied in the books:
Sirus Black--the grim
Peter Pettigrew--a rat
Rita Skeeter--a beetle
Charley Weasley--a dragon

My thoughts:
Colin and Dennis Creevey--a squeral
Filius Flitwick--a hummingbird
Rubeus Hagrid--an acromantula
Viktor Krum--an eagle
Gilderoy Lockhart--a peacock
Horace Slughorn--a slug
Pomona Sprout--a mandrake
Fred and George Weasley--a fox

I think it's ironic that Lupin is the patronus expert, and his patronus' form is a mistery.

DeathlyH
March 26th, 2008, 11:57 pm
Okay, I know list have probably already been provided, but I've got ALL of them.

Seen in the books:
Cho Chang--a swan
Aberforth Dumbledor--a goat
Albus Dumbledor--a pheonix
Hermione Granger--an otter
Luna Lovegood--a hare
Minevra McGonagall--a cat
Harry Potter and James Potter (the 1st)--a stag
Lily Potter and Severus Snape--a doe
Kingsley Shacklebolt--a lynx
Dean Thomas--a boar
Nymphadora Tonks Lupin--a warewolf
Dolorus Umbridge--a cat
Arthur Weasley--a weasle
Ron Weasley--a dog
Ginny Weasley--a mare (that's a horse)

Sorry, but I still don't recall where in OotP it says that Ginny's Patronus was a horse. It might be different copies. I don't think it says so in the US Edition. Could someone provide the passage for me??

Isla Sofia
March 27th, 2008, 12:04 am
Sorry, but I still don't recall where in OotP it says that Ginny's Patronus was a horse. It might be different copies. I don't think it says so in the US Edition. Could someone provide the passage for me??
Her patronus was a horse in the OotP film, and I believe Jo had a say in that (Luna's patronus was a hare in the movie, and it was filmed long before DH was released and her patronus was shown to be a hare on page). The horse is quite perfect for our Ginny Weasley-- feisty, strong, and beautiful. ;)

Patronus forms are different in that they may change to reflect the love in one's heart, and/or their happiest thought, whether the patronus reflects their personality or not, unlike animagus forms (I think we can ascertain that Snape did not have a doe-like personality). Sirius was undoubtedly very much like a dog in terms of his personality and spiritual character, but I've always imagined his patronus to have been a stag later in his life, after he had endured so much suffering and devastation, because his happiest thought and strength could not have been anything but his times with James, his best friend and brother forever.

Hes
March 27th, 2008, 1:42 pm
I like the suggestion made by kala_way for Prof. Sprout. A mole suits her.

My thoughts:
Colin and Dennis Creevey--a squeral
Filius Flitwick--a hummingbird
Rubeus Hagrid--an acromantula
Viktor Krum--an eagle
Gilderoy Lockhart--a peacock
Horace Slughorn--a slug
Pomona Sprout--a mandrake
Fred and George Weasley--a fox

Would love to see a Slug patronus. Not that bad a animal for Slughorn, it certainly should be an animal that likes to think of his own comfort.

I always thought about chimps for Fred and George, very playful but human like when needed.

LoonyMagic
March 27th, 2008, 3:51 pm
I always thought about chimps for Fred and George, very playful but human like when needed.

:agree: That represents their fun and playful nature so well. I would definitely expect that to be their patronuses. A point I'd like to make though, that as Fred and George were extremely close and similar, I think their patronuses would be the same, whereas perhaps many other twins may feel that they differ from their twin quite a bit and will probably have completely different patronuses. :)

DeathlyH
March 27th, 2008, 8:48 pm
:agree: That represents their fun and playful nature so well. I would definitely expect that to be their patronuses. A point I'd like to make though, that as Fred and George were extremely close and similar, I think their patronuses would be the same, whereas perhaps many other twins may feel that they differ from their twin quite a bit and will probably have completely different patronuses. :)

I wonder if it's possible for someone's Patronus to be a human. If so, I think that George's might have changed to Fred after the war, to honor him. Probably not possible, but it would be fitting. I like them with chimpanzees though! :D

LoonyMagic
March 27th, 2008, 9:06 pm
I wonder if it's possible for someone's Patronus to be a human. If so, I think that George's might have changed to Fred after the war, to honor him. Probably not possible, but it would be fitting. I like them with chimpanzees though! :D

I don't think it is possible for a patronus to become human form :shrug:. I think if their patronuses were chimps to begin with, that when Fred died, George's would stay the same. It would remind him of his twin, and I'm sure that most of his happy memories would have been of Fred.

4_4hugo4_4
March 27th, 2008, 10:37 pm
Awww.... I just had a sad thought....

If no one knows what Fred's patronus was, we may never know!!!

Poor Fred...

DixieWitch
March 27th, 2008, 10:42 pm
i'm sure the hp people knew...we just didn't. how lame is that? *fumes*

Forlong
March 28th, 2008, 3:03 am

I was thinking foxes because in mythology foxes are depicted as sly tricksters. Sounds like the Weasley twins to me.:elaugh:

GrangerHermione
March 28th, 2008, 3:54 am
I was thinking foxes because in mythology foxes are depicted as sly tricksters. Sounds like the Weasley twins to me.
I think those are both good possibilities of what the Weasley twin's patronuses might be. :) But I tend to lean toward the chimpanzees idea because they are mischievious and playful at the same time. :D That just seems to fit the twin's character better to me.

MC2456
March 28th, 2008, 4:22 pm
I think the Weasley twins are really different in character. I really like this artist's, Pen-umbra, idea of them being a chimp and a raccoon. I'll share with everyone the link, it's on deviantart. Don't knock those folks in deviantart till you see their work. It's like magic, all of them.

Georgie Patronus (raccoon): http://pen-umbra.deviantart.com/art/HP-George-s-Patronus-69668636

Freddie's (chimp): http://pen-umbra.deviantart.com/art/HP-Fred-s-Patronus-69415685

GrangerHermione
March 28th, 2008, 4:27 pm
I think the Weasley twins are really different in character. I really like this artist's, Pen-umbra, idea of them being a chimp and a raccoon. I'll share with everyone the link, it's on deviantart. Don't knock those folks in deviantart till you see their work. It's like magic, all of them.

Fred's Patronus (monkey): =http://"pen-umbra.deviantart.com/art/HP-Fred-s-Patronus-69415685

Georgie's (raccon): =http://"pen-umbra.deviantart.com/art/HP-George-s-Patronus-69668636

I couldn't see the links. :( I got an "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage." I don't know if it's just me, though.

It's an interesting idea for the twins to have two different poatronuses, but I've always imagined them with the same one. True, their characters probably vary a bit, but to me, they are like a pair of the same person! :D So I imagine them to be sharing the same patronus.

Forlong
March 29th, 2008, 1:44 am

Georgie Patronus (raccoon): http://pen-umbra.deviantart.com/art/HP-George-s-Patronus-69668636

Freddie's (chimp): http://pen-umbra.deviantart.com/art/HP-Fred-s-Patronus-69415685
Neville probably does have a lion patronus.

Montse
March 29th, 2008, 2:21 am
It's an interesting idea for the twins to have two different poatronuses, but I've always imagined them with the same one. True, their characters probably vary a bit, but to me, they are like a pair of the same person! So I imagine them to be sharing the smae patronus.
i like them having different ones.after all they were very alike yet i believe at a certain degree they did have their differences..i like this idea of the racoon and the chimp ...both very mischievous animals indeed...very mischievous...i do like it...oh and about neville...did we ever found out what it is....or are we just pondering...

MC2456
March 29th, 2008, 5:19 am
I couldn't see the links. :( I got an "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage." I don't know if it's just me, though.

It's an interesting idea for the twins to have two different poatronuses, but I've always imagined them with the same one. True, their characters probably vary a bit, but to me, they are like a pair of the same person! :D So I imagine them to be sharing the smae patronus.

I reposted it again! Do see them, it's really nice!

Tara_Kedavra
March 29th, 2008, 1:45 pm
I wonder what Voldemort`s patronus was? A snake doesn`t sound very likely. I think Patronus` are a little more agile, and lively than a snake.

anonymous4
March 29th, 2008, 4:36 pm
JKR says that Voldemort doesn't have a Patronus. He doens't think he needs one. None of the DE do. They have another way of fighting Dementors.

The magic in the Patronus is opposite to theirs. Voldemort has no interest in it.
Snape had to learn to make a Patronus when he joined the Order.

GrangerHermione
March 29th, 2008, 4:55 pm
JKR says that Voldemort doesn't have a Patronus.
Like you said, LV thinks he doesn't need a Patronus, but I also wonder if he doesn't have one because he doesn't have happy memories that are powerful enough to conjure one. Ususally all he feels is anger and dissapointment. The only emotions that he has that are close to happiness are feelings of triumph and victory when something goes his way. And IMO those might not be pwerful enough to conjure a Patronus. :shrug: LV doesn't understand love and friendship, so he can't have true memories of happiness. So maybe he makes the excuse that he doesn't need a Patronus, but the real reason he doesn't have one is because he doesn't have happy enough memories to produce one. Just a thought. :)

4_4hugo4_4
March 29th, 2008, 9:36 pm
i'm sure the hp people knew...we just didn't. how lame is that? *fumes*

That.... stinks. :grumble:

(I am unable to say what I am really thinking for fear of having a lump of soap stuffed down my throat by the board administrators..)

Hes
March 30th, 2008, 11:29 am
I agree that Voldemort probably didn't have enough happy memories to produce a patronus, although I am convinced he could do it if he wanted too. I know that's conflicting but I'm really unsure about this issue.

Voldemort does seem to posses at least one potential very powerful memory. The memory of him being in the Muggle Orphanage and Dumbledore coming to visit. Dumbledore told Voldemort there that he was a wizard. That was the first time Voldemort or rather Tom Riddle had the confirmation that he was in a sense special. I think it meant a lot to him at that time. Maybe it's not something he would have wanted to remember though.

The_Green_Woods
March 30th, 2008, 12:12 pm
I agree that Voldemort probably didn't have enough happy memories to produce a patronus, although I am convinced he could do it if he wanted too. I know that's conflicting but I'm really unsure about this issue.

I feel exactly the same. Casting the Patronus is a magical ability and I think Voldemort could manage it; he must have happy memories; they may not be good memories but he must have a few memories that are happy. And he is a powerful wizard IMo.

Montse
March 30th, 2008, 2:21 pm
Well you can have hapiness and the source of your hapiness may not be a good one but it can still make you happy...didnt harry felt like two times that Voldy was really happy...now this kind of hapiness,in an ethical manner is not correct but i do think it would be sufficient to cast a patronus....now my question is ...

would a dementor be intrsted in Voldy...wouldnt they sense the being has almost nothing left inside to be sucked ?
I think a dementor would know this guy just wasnt worth the effort...

LoonyMagic
March 30th, 2008, 4:11 pm
I feel exactly the same. Casting the Patronus is a magical ability and I think Voldemort could manage it; he must have happy memories; they may not be good memories but he must have a few memories that are happy. And he is a powerful wizard IMo.

I find it strange to think of Voldemort producing a patronus. I agree that he has the ability to do it. However, his idea of happy would differ greatly from another. I think his patronus would be a snake, just to back up his pride in being the Heir of Slytherin. :)

inkling7
March 30th, 2008, 4:52 pm
It seems your patronus doesn't have to be the same sex as you are eg Snape - doe. So what does influence the patronus?

I think Fred and George could possibly be different as I think George wasn't quite as 'thoughtless' of the consequences of his actions as Fred who I rather get the impression as being the older twin. George came across as more thoughtful or 'caring' twin even though he still had the mischievious streak in him.

I think they could have different patronuses though what they would be is anyones guess.

Muy patronus has come up as both a cat and monkey but I think I could be more like a sloth sometimes. so perhaps my patronus could change with my mood?

I often wonder when people have the same patronuses - how can people tell the difference at first. I mean one black cat can look like another.... so how do you know whose patronuses are black cats and who is actually sending you their patronus????

LoonyMagic
March 30th, 2008, 4:58 pm
It seems your patronus doesn't have to be the same sex as you are eg Snape - doe. So what does influence the patronus?

I believe that in a lot of cases, the patronus is influenced either by one's personality. For example, Luna's is a hare, which could represent her quick thinking and wit. Also, I think that a patronus can be affected by your own happiest memories. Snape's patronus represents Lily, and his only happy memories were of her.

DeathlyH
March 30th, 2008, 6:20 pm
I believe that in a lot of cases, the patronus is influenced either by one's personality. For example, Luna's is a hare, which could represent her quick thinking and wit. Also, I think that a patronus can be affected by your own happiest memories. Snape's patronus represents Lily, and his only happy memories were of her.

:agree: All good points. It also might have to do with what kind of animal you would be if you were one. Since James was a stag, and Harry is related to him, Harry's is a stag. But more then anything, really, it's just how your personality is and what memories you can produce. :D

The_Green_Woods
March 30th, 2008, 6:36 pm
Well you can have hapiness and the source of your hapiness may not be a good one but it can still make you happy...didnt harry felt like two times that Voldy was really happy...now this kind of hapiness,in an ethical manner is not correct but i do think it would be sufficient to cast a patronus....now my question is ...

:tu:

would a dementor be intrsted in Voldy...wouldnt they sense the being has almost nothing left inside to be sucked ?
I think a dementor would know this guy just wasnt worth the effort...

:lol:

But Voldemort did have a lot of happy memories IMO. Like ruling the world; killing all muggleborns and killing Harry Potter, Albus Dumbledore etc....:rolleyes:

So if he allowed it, I think a dementor could very well suck off all these memories and leave him without a soul.

I find it strange to think of Voldemort producing a patronus. I agree that he has the ability to do it. However, his idea of happy would differ greatly from another. I think his patronus would be a snake, just to back up his pride in being the Heir of Slytherin. :)

I think so too. His idea of happy would probably be diaster for the WW LOL.

DeathlyH
March 30th, 2008, 6:38 pm
I don't believe that Voldemort could prodice a Patronus. After all, his life is far from happy, and I doubt he dwells upon his happy memories constantly. However, I agree that if he were able to produce a Patronus, it would be a snake, because he's a Parselmouth, he was in Slytherin, and because he really just is like a snake himself.

LoonyMagic
March 30th, 2008, 7:09 pm
I don't believe that Voldemort could prodice a Patronus. After all, his life is far from happy, and I doubt he dwells upon his happy memories constantly. However, I agree that if he were able to produce a Patronus, it would be a snake, because he's a Parselmouth, he was in Slytherin, and because he really just is like a snake himself.

I wouldn't say that his life is unhappy. Perhaps when he was younger, in the orphanage. He can find happiness in his destruction of other peoples lives and pain and suffering. Not the conventional kind of happiness, but it seems to work for him. However, I doubt he'd actually want to use a patronus, or would find the need to.

Montse
March 30th, 2008, 7:37 pm
So if he allowed it, I think a dementor could very well suck off all these memories and leave him without a soul.
well yes technically...still i do think and i do imagine a dementor near him and near another person...well obviously they would be inlcined to the other person...their idea of a good meal..Voldy would seem just like a snack...

HIs patronus...yes i agree ...a snake would fit...a king cobra or a very deadly one...

HedwigOwl
March 30th, 2008, 10:29 pm

Yeah, I'm not sure Voldemort could produce a patronus either. It is, after all, an anti-dark arts spell, so it why would it occur to him to even try? And yes, I remember that Umbridge could produce one, but she's not really in the same league as Voldemort, nor in a position to completely control the dementors. Those dementors loyal to Voldemort were free to attack people, not to mention breed -- much more incentive than the Ministry deal. So I don't see Voldemort's ever needing one, but Umbridge, yes.

Montse
March 30th, 2008, 11:08 pm
I'm not sure Voldemort could produce a patronus either
Could or would...I am almost certain that Voldy could...even if his memories were happy thoughts of killing other people...now Would is different...I dont think he would because like I stated earlier ,I dont see a dementor having interest in such a tiny piece of soul,therefore i dont see a dementor attacking Voldemort ...

MulanAtHogwarts
March 30th, 2008, 11:10 pm
HIs patronus...yes i agree ...a snake would fit...a king cobra or a very deadly one...
Voldemort? I'd think more like a viper - a snake in the grass!! Uurgghh! **shudder**

I would like to be a hawk and have that viper in my talons!! :evil:

Montse
March 30th, 2008, 11:15 pm
Voldemort? I'd think more like a viper - a snake in the grass!! Uurgghh! **shudder**
But a snake would fit him so much better...he is the heir of slytherin...a parsel...one of his horcruxes is a snake...he even looks like one...

MulanAtHogwarts
March 30th, 2008, 11:16 pm
But a snake would fit him so much better...he is the heir of slytherin...a parsel...one of his horcruxes is a snake...he even looks like one...
A viper is a snake. A treacherous, poisonous one. :)

MissCapria
March 30th, 2008, 11:20 pm

I wouldn't say that Volderemort's life was unhappy, well I think that he didn't think his life was unhappy. Yes, he didn't seem absoloutly thrilled about living in the orphanage but he takes happiness in other peoples suffering and pain. I agree though that his patrounus form would be that of a snake because he was in Slytherin and he is described at looking quite like a snake. :)

DeathlyH
March 30th, 2008, 11:22 pm
I wouldn't say that Volderemort's life was unhappy, well I think that he didn't think his life was unhappy. Yes, he didn't seem absoloutly thrilled about living in the orphanage but he takes happiness in other peoples suffering and pain. I agree though that his patrounus form would be that of a snake because he was in Slytherin and he is described at looking quite like a snake. :)

Well, as HedwigOwl pointed out, a Patronus is meant to be a positive spell, and Voldemort never had any postive energy. He had the talent, but he certainly didn't have enough stored happiness to do it. Just my opinion. :D

Montse
March 30th, 2008, 11:23 pm
sorry ,I thought you meant the hawk...i didnt get that...:p
a viper would be fine aslong as it is a venomous one ,and the viper is one of the deadliest so i wont argue then

HedwigOwl
March 30th, 2008, 11:26 pm
Could or would...I am almost certain that Voldy could...even if his memories were happy thoughts of killing other people...now Would is different...I dont think he would because like I stated earlier ,I dont see a dementor having interest in such a tiny piece of soul,therefore i dont see a dementor attacking Voldemort ...

Not sure. Definitely wouldn't. And possibly couldn't -- does Voldemort even have a concept of a positive feeling? Enjoyment of torturing someone, or being glad that an evil plan hasn't totally tanked, doesn't seem enough positive energy to produce a patronus. It comes from a negative place, after all.

MulanAtHogwarts
March 30th, 2008, 11:35 pm
sorry ,I thought you meant the hawk...i didnt get that...:p
a viper would be fine aslong as it is a venomous one ,and the viper is one of the deadliest so i wont argue then
No, I said *I* would like to be a hawk and have that viper in my talons so I could shred it to pieces. :evil: BTW, all vipers are venomous and treacherous.

So we are in agreement. :)

Montse
March 30th, 2008, 11:45 pm
Enjoyment of torturing someone, or being glad that an evil plan hasn't totally tanked, doesn't seem enough positive energy to produce a patronus. It comes from a negative place, after all.
well hapiness is felt even if the deed you are commiting isnt ethically correct...Harry felt a couple of times that Voldy was really happy ,like when he helped his death eaters escape Azkaban remember? I do recall Harry feeling Voldemort was really,really happy...as for the wouldnt we agree. I dont see him needing to produce one...So we are in agreement.

yes ,we are...:p

inkling7
March 31st, 2008, 1:45 am
Perhaps if he could produce one (and that is debatable) Voldemort's patronus could be a basilisk.

HarrietaPotter
March 31st, 2008, 2:14 am
I'll let my self be surprised.
:)

Isla Sofia
March 31st, 2008, 3:36 am
Perhaps if he could produce one (and that is debatable) Voldemort's patronus could be a basilisk.

That would fit with his happiest thought, as well (I do think he would be able to produce one, even if he chose not to do so because the dementors were his allies and he wanted them to reign). Voldemort never loved, but it appears Nagini was what he was most fond of; I would even venture that he would choose her over Bella, if forced to kill one of them, even though he was anguished by both of their deaths. Also, Voldemort ultimately cared most for himself, and Nagini held a piece of him within her.

Montse
March 31st, 2008, 3:48 am
Perhaps if he could produce one (and that is debatable) Voldemort's patronus could be a basilisk
yes ,this could be so...why not ,its better than a simple snake,its the king of serpents...

anonymous4
March 31st, 2008, 3:57 am
Malice and pleasure in other's pain does produce a patronus since Umbridge can produce one while tormenting muggleborns in DH.

Montse
March 31st, 2008, 4:18 am
Malice and pleasure in other's pain does produce a patronus since Umbridge can produce one while tormenting muggleborns in DH.
exactly,now that its ethically not good,well theres no argument in that,but it is a feeling of happiness and pleasure however you see it,so i think IMO it can be used to produce one...

GrangerHermione
March 31st, 2008, 4:18 pm
I am also doubtful of whether LV could produce a Patronus. As we know from PoA when Harry learns to produce a Patronus from Lupin, it takes an extremely happy memory to power it. None of LV's memories have that kind of true happiness, IMO. But Harry is definitely not as skilled as LV, so perhaps LV can produce a Patronus with those kind of memories anyway because of his talent and skill. :) Or it may be the case that he doesn't have one at all because he doesn't really need it. :shrug:

Although I am uncertain about this, I agree that if LV had a Patronus, some sort of deadly snake would fit his personality. :tu:

gipro2003
March 31st, 2008, 6:38 pm
Although I am uncertain about this, I agree that if LV had a Patronus, some sort of deadly snake would fit his personality. :tu:

I'm not sure about whether or not Voldemort could produce a Patronus either. But if I recall correctly, Harry at one point uses finding out he was a wizard as a happy memory, and Voldemort may have felt similar happiness when he found out he was a wizard. Not sure though, just a thought.

But I also agree, a snake would be the perfect Patronus for him. (Although all this talk of snakes is making me uneasy :))