Book Five Romance -- was it all you were expecting?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

rotsiepots
June 23rd, 2003, 12:10 pm
Well it was inevitable. Harry kissed a girl, Ginny dated two (!) boys and Ron and Hermione continued to deny their affection for each other. So, what did you think of Harry and Cho? Obviously the romance didn't exactly work out, but were you really expecting them to get together? Was Cho attempting to have a relationship with Cedric vicariously through Harry? What were her motivations?

Personally, I thought the romance was very well written. Not overly indulgent or descriptive and very...adolescent.

So, give your opinions on the book five pairings here.

tabby
June 23rd, 2003, 12:27 pm
I'm not going to comment on Ginnys relationships simply because all we heard about them was that they existed.

I'm not a Ron/hermione shipper so my opinion is they weren't denying a thing and just being good friends. :D

I really enjoyed the Harry/Cho romance, if we can call it that. It would have been unrealistic for Cho not to seek Harry out in some way. Wrapping that up in a relationship was a great way to deal with that. Cho's reaction was very well written. Cedric only died two months ago and she's on a date with the boy with him when he died. She's going to get emotional, and Harry being a 15 year old boy won't know how to deal with it and won't want to deal with it.

Very well done.

dumbleedore
June 23rd, 2003, 12:33 pm
Ok, first, and mystically already knows how I feel about Ginny's romances, but ach! I didn't like the fact that she had 2. It just... wasn't right!

Harry and Cho's relationship was just... tacked on. Like Neo and Trinity in The Matrix.

And as for Ron and Hermione... I won't go there.

I admit I was expecting more romance, but I was happy that Harry got his first kiss. Would have prefered a different charecter, but, what am I going to do? Tie JK up until she changes the story?

tabby
June 23rd, 2003, 12:34 pm
^Only if you insist she gives Malfoy a romance too. :D

lex romero
June 23rd, 2003, 12:36 pm
it was a shame about cho really. i mena it had been built up in the books about how harry fancied cho and then when the finally got together it went wrong. i mean she jsut seemed to be crying about everything and was obviously still hung up on cedric. i seemed like she just wanted to date harry cause he had seen cedric die.

and as for ron and hermione well for some reason i just don't think there going to get together. i don't know why i just don't feel it will. ginny and harry maybe though.

marspeach
June 23rd, 2003, 12:37 pm
Harry and Cho was not a very good relationship, but it was good for Harry because he seems to have lost his schoolboy crush on her. I was expecting more romance from the main characters. Was all the R/Hr stuff in GoF red herrings? I don't care if they don't get together but what was the point of it all then? Just to annoy me?

Tarawyn
June 23rd, 2003, 12:37 pm
I liked the fact that Rowling didn't focus on romance. There was so much packed in the book that it'd be hard to put in serious romance.

Ginny's romance was insight into her character more than anything else. She's not exactly a good girl, is she? We were seeing more of her and her personality, and this was a good insight.

I don't know what to think about Harry and Cho. I didn't love it, but I wasn't expecting to either, and I'm glad it's dropped. I was thinking of it being wrapped up in a different way, but considering, it's fine.

As for Ron and Hermione? I didn't see any of the "romance" this time, maybe because I was a little busy watching them try to restrain Harry. Romance isn't exactly my first priority.

Overall, while I hardly think it was there enough for it to matter, it was pretty well done.

Loz
June 23rd, 2003, 12:44 pm
Okay - well, I didn't think Ginny had two boyfriends. I thought she was teasing Ron about Dean... and considering we don't have any evidence on it, I can't really comment any more on that.

Second - I was glad the relationship with Cho didn't work out on one level, but really really sorry for Harry on another. I didn't understand her, I saw her all from Harry's perspective. She was - strange! Emotionally disturbed is the correct term I believe...

Third - I was surprised about Ron and Hermione, there was a whole lot of hints in GoF - and some hints were continued, but not brought to the fore. I still believe within the next or last book they will get together. Sorry non Ron/Hr shippers :p

Fourth - JKR handled it well. I was glad there was some hints of this aspect of adolecense. It was interesting that Harry describes kissing as "wet" LOL.

Max
June 23rd, 2003, 12:56 pm
Well, here's my two cents on the romance issue in book 5. I'll go through each pairing one by one, so bear with me for a minute. Let's go:

Ron and Hermione
Alright, now this was unexpected. I presume that most, if not all of us (even H/Hr shippers), have expected that ther would be at least a little more R/Hr stuff in the book. Other than the little peck on the cheek for Ron (which was most probably a 'good luck' kiss), there was very little R/Hr scenes in the book, unlike the so-called tons and tons of places in GoF where Ron and Hermione (alledgedly) clearly showed their feelings for each other. That, as I'm sure many others will point out, is in stark contrast to what we have read in OotP. Consider, for example, the many scenes where Ron and Hermione were alone together (usually in the common room). This would, naturally, be an excellent opportunity for JK to write that Harry walked in on them, perhaps, bickering playfully. That would have been a clear sign of R/Hr. But instead of writing anything of that sort, JK has inculded in its place a much more ... quiet, to say the very least ... version. For example:

OotP, British Hardcover, Page 404 -- Eye of the Serpent
He returned to the common room half an hour later to find Hermione and Ron in the best seats by the fire; nearly everybody else had gone to bed. Hermione was writing a very long letter; she had already filled half a roll of parchment, which was dangling from the edge of the table. Ron was lying on the heartrug, trying to finish his transfiguration homework.

Notice that they weren't even speaking to each other while they were (perhaps) waiting for Harry to return, unlike in the oft-spoken scene in GoF where Harry walked in on Ron and Hermione shouting at each other in the common room after the Yule Ball. Again, it had been rather unusual for JK to not include anything of that sort, if she, as quite a few people think, is trying to pair up Ron and Hermione.

Harry and Ginny
I think that this ship had disappeared under the waves. Ginny seems to have gotten over Harry, and had already gotten two boyfriends. On the other hand, Harry hadn't really shown any interest in Ginny, though they had had a few conversations -- they appear to be more like friends now rather than aquantances, but still, that doesn't prove that ther H/G pairing is going anywhere in a hurry. We'll just have to see in book six.

Harry and Cho
Oh my, oh my, who would've seen this coming? Harry and Cho? Kissing? Well, anyway, it happened, so I'll just have to get this off my chest. Harry had liked Cho all the way from the third book, and until OotP, Cho hasn't shown any conclusive feelings for Harry. They don't seem suited for each other, though, as they keep having fights, and Cho hadn't been a great help in keeping Harry cool. By the end of the book, they don't seem to have any feelings for each other any more. This, however, may presumably be countered by saying that Cho blushed when she say Harry. Of course she blushed, but that could also mean that she was embarrased that she was going with Micheal Corner instead of Harry.

Harry and Hermione
Well, this seems to have been a bit different ...

Harry and Hermione's friendship seemed to have deepend over the course of OotP, with the two of them running off on many little adventures while Ron waa preoccupied from something. Just to name a few of these scenes, Harry and Hermione went over to Hagrid's house without Ron (who was playing Quidditch) when they were told about Hagrid and Maxime's mission. There was also the scene where Hermione and Harry led Umbridge into the forest. Even though in the beginning of the book, Harry had been a real pain, Hermione and Ron kept cool around him, and by the end of the book when Harry had his temper (relatively) under control, his friendship with Hermione was as strong as ever. What's interesting is that JK seems to be repeating scenes from the previous books, only with different characters. For example, instead of Harry trying to get Ginny to wake up in the Chamber of Secrets, Harry was trying to wake Hermione up during the battle with the death eaters. This is shown yet again when Hermione kissed Ron on the cheek instead of Harry, as she did in GoF. This may not have anything to do with the H/Hr ship, but I just thought that it would be interesting to mention it.

Well, there's my two cents. What do you think? Please post your comments.

Silvilocks
June 23rd, 2003, 1:25 pm
I didn't expect to like any romantic aspect of the book, but I was surprised. I was afraid romance in general would get in the way of the story, but it didn't. Harry/Cho I thought was handled well, and came across very realistically. Ginny - well whatever you think of her love life she's really starting to come out of her shell and developing a character.
As for Ron and Hermione I don't really have a firm point of view on the will they/won't they argument, but I do think that it's a relationship that would need so much developing that it would get in the way of the main story. Teenagers or not, I think the raging hormones were kept fairly restrained in this book and I hope JK keeps it that way.

Lupine
June 23rd, 2003, 1:31 pm
Max: Good post! I agreed with many of your comments, although I think Ginny's second "boyfriend" was just a joke to shock Ron. We don't know for sure. I did want to post one part of that book I found interesting:

American Ed. Page 572.

"... And it might have been a good idea to mention how ugly you think I am too," Hermione added as an afterthought.

"But I don't think you're ugly," said Harry, bemused.

Hermione Laughed.

"Harry, you're worse than Ron.... Well, no, you're not," she sighed, as Ron himself came stumping into the hall....

She sighed. Could mean anything, but still...

Filius Flitwick
June 23rd, 2003, 1:34 pm
Okay, the Harry/Cho ship is likely gone...that stuff is out of Harry's system now. But I do think this leads to the possibility of Harry/Ginny. Ginny is a lot more comfortable around Harry, having seemingly gotten over her crush. Maybe now that she isn't gushing over him and such he'll start to notice her as a person and not as Ron's little sister.

Then there's Ron and Hermione. I actually see her kiss given to Ron as being more significant than the one she gave to Harry at the end of Goblet. Harry's whole world was crashing around him and she tried to bring him a little sanity with a 'keep strong' kiss on the cheek. Ron was only worried about a Quidditch game and she did the exact same thing....well, not really. She had to get up on her tiptoes to do it. And you know Ron liked it...he put his hand up to his cheek in shock. Then there was his present to her at Christmas...perfume. Ron's reactions to her talking about Krum also seem to show that the connection is still there. It would seem that there is a likelihood of a book 6 romance.

Which brings me to the newest ship....Luna/Ron. I think it is quite apparent that she feelings for him(in her own special way). Her telling him that she wouldn't have minded going to the dance with him and then coming over to the Gryffindor table wearing the lion's head on her head to wish 'Ronald' luck. From what I remember the only person who has ever called him Ronald was his mother, and that was when she was angry. It seems that Luna will be playing a larger part in future books and I would love for her and Ron to hook up in book 7 after Ron and Hermione realize that they just aren't right for eachother.

potterfreak24
June 23rd, 2003, 1:37 pm
I seem to agree with most of the post on here. I'm going to go characcter by character:

Ginny: Did she come out of her shell or what?!!! Wy to go Ginny. I'm not for a H/G pairing, but if that's where JKR is going as long as he gets this new Ginny..I'll find a way to cope. ;)

Ron: Where was he? Was he even in the book to have a relationship....personally I could see that I think someone has/had a crush on Ron...Loony Luna? anyone??

Hermione: I loved how JKR never really answered the question "what's going on with Krum?" Just kind of left us all wondering

Harry and Cho: Alright I was prepared for this one...but i also know that in my gut..this was meant to crash and burn. How mnay of you are still going with your first crush? To me that's all that it was in PoA...and he finally got his crush!!, and his kiss...alright so now he can move on. :)

I liked tha way that the romances were done in this book...and I agree with Sivilocks about R/Hr. IF they are to get together...thers got to be an awful lot of believeable buildup.

teacup
June 23rd, 2003, 1:42 pm
I thought it was done extremely well. You could cut the tension with a knife in the scenes with Harry and Cho, and obviously some more hints of a Ron/Hermione flind will happen.

Personally, I see a Ron/Hermione get together in perhaps, Book six to book seven. I just can't see Harry staying steady with someone... it almost ruins it when they do that. Personally I hope that Harry and Cho's tension is built up again, however I am reminded of his (almost) dislike for her by the time OotP ends. So maybe he'll meet someone else?

Whoever it is, I'm hoping it's just as tense and full of mistakes and confusion as Harry/Cho has been. That is 99% of the fun in love stories... it get's boring when they get together and everyone's happy.

Harry and Tonks ;)

dumbleedore
June 23rd, 2003, 1:45 pm
Max, I totally agree with you on the H/Hr thing, although, and it kills me to say this, I don't think they'll end up together.

JK has stregthend their friendship to a stage where Hermione is just as good as Ron. ('Hermione,' said Harry, shaking his head, 'you're good on feelings and stuff...')(pg 507) and she won't develop it any further than that.

Maybe slight jealousy when Hermione ends up with Ron (it's gonna happen!) but that's it.

I've just gotta set my delusional shipper heart free...

Max
June 23rd, 2003, 1:50 pm
Thanks, Lupine and dumbleedore.

Well, that part that you mentioned is, well, interesting. It really makes it seem as if Hermione at least feels something for Harry, doesn't it? Don't know what to make of it, though.

Oh, and Filius: No comment on Ron/Hermione and Harry/Cho, but what intrigues me is Ron/Luna. Luna did seem to have a thing for Ron, didn't she -- especially when she "was staring dreamily at Ron". We'll see in book 6.

Daily Propheter
June 23rd, 2003, 2:05 pm
I think Harry and Cho were to be expected. I was saying to a friend the day before that if Harry and Cho started dating, it wouldn't last long at all, because Cedric's death would keep getting in the way.

Ginny shocked me. Big time. She certainly has come out of her shell! Two boys...

Ah, R/Hr, my favourite ship. Despite the fact that Ron never showed up in this book, I think the hints were there, just a lot more subtle than the ones in GoF. Ron and Hermione still squabble like a married couple...

doctor23
June 23rd, 2003, 2:25 pm
I'm going out on a limb here and predicting a Luna/Harry thing somewhere in Book 6. Luna wants eiether harry or Ron and I don't think she cares much which one she gets. In fact she could become wuite the scarlet woman in book 6 maybe toying with both Harry and Ron's affections really getting Hermione ticked.

FlyingPhoenix
June 23rd, 2003, 2:26 pm
First I thought maybe we would see how R/Hr gos more together but I thought always onesided and this book seems to show it pretty well. Hermione don´t show any interest in Ron that way. This kiss is just like the one for Harry, IMO. Only Ron react different he is the one who is affected by that and not Hermione. She isn´t even blushing. Its seems this cools down. I mean they even stop to bicker with each other because Harry did say it.

To H/C I don´t know for what this was there it was nearlly to sort this one out before to go on. I mean Cho wasn´t that light, or? A kiss a date and that was it and where was the issuse Cedric and Hermione. What did I say that? I mean after Cho teasing him with Hermione darling and how she did use that jinx without that the other know that was a bite strange and Harrys reaction to that was even strange.

H/G I think that was it with this ship. But who knows maybe we get H/G and R/Hr in book 6 so thats than sorted out, too. I means sounds like that looks like her style.

H/Hr after that book I much more sure that this gonna be happen. Maybe I should think different because Hermione act as if this didn´t bother her that Harry is with Cho. But this girl is clever, you know. She knows that Harry likes Cho so she wouldn´t say something bad about her. Though she do it really well with this valentins day. You know she know that Harry gos out with Cho and she knows that Rita Skeeter will be in the three broomstick though she said to Harry he can bring Cho with but how he manage that she don´t care. Though she know that Cho might be upset and if that not works than Rita Skeeter will do a better job and who looks innocent around???. Hermione isn´t that happy about that not how it should be though she act perfect and we know that she can play a good show look only what she did with Umbridge and that was much more stressful.
Now how JKR put this two always together, I mean thats strange. Why can this group split into Harry, Ron and Ginny? No its again Harry, Hermione and Neville. The interest part was how Max say it already that some parts in this books were replace with different characters. This scenes in the forrest or how this two starts to argue?! Its simply strange and new. Its like we replace R/Hr bickering with H/Hr argueing and very hard argueing. But the strangest thing is that Harry thinks quiet often about Hermione. He hears even her voice in his mind. But much more stranger is this dream where Cho change into Hermione. I mean sorry but thats very strange for a teenager.

patronus-72
June 23rd, 2003, 2:39 pm
Hey there, this is my first ever post. I really enjoyed reading the love thread that got cut off a few days before the release of OotP, and I'm very interested in people's views about what the various hints and red herrings in Book Five mean.

Personally, I started out hoping for H/C, not really thinking too closely about the idea of plot pacing - i.e she's one year ahead, won't be around for Book 7 etc.

It was after reading Goblet of Fire that I started cheering on H/Hr, because they just seemed right for each other. They seemed quite clearly to be soulmates, and there was a level of caring there that was obviously lacking in R/Hr. Unfortunately, I got the dreaded feeling that JKR is going to do a reverse ferret (sorry Malfoy) and pull a R/Hr romance out at the end.

After reading Book 5 I am thoroughly confused now!
Given that Harry was doing his best Angry Young Man impression, it was hard to pick up the hints this time round. He seemed to be more in love with the idea of being with Cho than actually working her out - although he did ask Hermione a couple of times for help in working out girls' thoughts...Pity he couldn't get some insight into his best friend's thoughts for the rest of us ;-)

By the end of the book I was getting strong Harry/Ginny feelings. Ron obviously wants them to be together. I haven't got the quote in front of me, but before Ginny tells him about Dean Thomas (as a joke, I think), Ron says something like that she should pick someone better next time, and then casts a furtive glance at Harry... Ginny is obviously much stronger and sassier than in previous books, and given my depressing feelings about the likelihood of R/Hr, she is now the obvious choice, assuming Harry doesn't die or go off and do the ultimate self-loathing trip if he does kill Voldemort. I do have to say though, that after reading a sensational fanfic called After The End - on Sugarquill.net - I have to say that I can see a way a H/G pairing could be done right and I would accept it if JKR wrote it properly.

As for R/Hr, in one sense they are in neutral for the whole of Book 5, which gives me hope, since it tends to support people's points about the amount of groundwork to be done if they are to get together..

However, the lack of a decisive move in either direction means it is still open for them to be friends or more, and the whole unresolved tension thing has been hanging around for five full books now. Something has to happen surely, the question is when, and if it is permanent.

Please forgive me for the length of this post. I'm a journalist, writing's what I do.

Anyhow, please continue the entertaining analysis!

FlyingPhoenix
June 23rd, 2003, 2:49 pm
By the end of the book I was getting strong Harry/Ginny feelings. Ron obviously wants them to be together.
The question is why he wants that? Because he thinks they suit or that he fears that Hermione might have something for Harry?! I mean he seems to be suspicious about this two its as they tell him that they weren´t at quiditch game. How was his reaction before Hermione and Harry did explain it.
"Yeah?" said Ron, whose face was growing rather red. "How come?" What was he thinking?
And there is something more that Hermione command Ron around to look after Harry and she seems to speak much about Harry with Ron so that he mention it to Harry. Its seems Ron wish that Harry is out of his way to get Hermiones attention and Ginny would be the right one. Sadly she don´t fancy him anymore thats what Hermione did say.

teacup
June 23rd, 2003, 2:53 pm
FlyingPhoenix: IMO it's not as much about him not wanting Harry to seduce Hermione of sorts :P but rather him not trusting anyone else. I mean, when he said how come, it was more like "I JUST PLAYED THE BEST QUIDDITCH GAME EVER AND WON AND YOU DIDN'T SEE IT!?"

I dunno. I guess all our speculation will be worthless come book six...

potterfreak24
June 23rd, 2003, 2:56 pm
Yeah I did find that quidditch game interesting. I understand that Hagrid needed help with his little brother :), but was it really neccessary for BOTH harry and hermione to go along? Why didnt at least one of them stay to watch Ron play? The other one could have gone, and come back to tell the other two..but both of them decided to go with Hagrid....

chochang2021
June 23rd, 2003, 3:03 pm
I really wanted Harry-Cho Chang to become a couple. It's sad, it didn't turned out well. Her behaviour due to Cedric's death is understandable. Otherwise she would have been quite cold, I think she just confused after Cedric's death. But it's quite irritating, that she is so jealous and changes her boyfriends that quick. Maybe she wants to make Harry jealous? I hope there will be more about Harry-Cho in book six, I think she has alwys liked him, even when she was together with Cedric, there're some hints in book 3/ 4.

I hope there will be no Harry-Ginny. That would be such a clichée, going out with the best friend's sister. Ginny is made into the new super-girl, playing quidditsch, having two boyfriends, gets everything she wants. It's so obvious that her next "project" is Harry, she seems to get a bit snobbish.

Don't think, that Ron and Hermoine are going to be a couple. Rowling said, that Ron was like her best friend Sean. And she was a bit like Hermoine. And in real life, she never had something with her best friend, so I think there is some kind of "block" in her head to pair them up.

Although all of you think, that the Harry and Cho ship is over: I hope they get to know each other a bit better in book six, maybe talk about death and losing a beloved person....

patronus-72
June 23rd, 2003, 3:17 pm
The big problem with JKR - and it's a very nice problem as problems go - is that her need to keep us all from guessing what happens before, say, p800-odd of Book 7 ;D means she has to keep so many ships sailing somewhere near port for a very long time.

With all the changes, and her love of red herrings, it does mean that we begin to doubt our own reading. One of the things that I keep coming back to to give me hope for a H/Hr resolution is the reactions of all the others who come into contact with them, in particular the jealousy of certain people towards them.

For example: Book Four, Krum accusing Hermione of being involved with Harry, or was it Harry he accused of being involved with Hermione? I forget - too much canon and fanon running round my head right now competing for attention.
Also, Rita Skeeter's vicious little piece in the Prophet about H/Hr which as always contains a grain of truth among the nastiness.

Move on to Book Five, and Cho gets jealous of Hermione for the perceived effect she is having on Harry..."Hermione darling!" etc.

After all the denials, wouldn't it be nice if at the end of Book 7 they could just, quietly, admit to each other that maybe other people did have fair powers of observation, and being Head Girl and The Boy Who Lived doesn't mean they don't get it wrong occasionally. Sigh.

Wingardium Leviosa
June 23rd, 2003, 3:25 pm
I really don't think romance is important, as there are obviously more important things to think about. I can see a Harry/Cho relationship working, but it would take time. Harry's fancied her since third year, and he can't just give up now, but Cho still needs time to get over Cedric. As for Ron and Hermione, I really don't want it to happen, but its looking more and more likely. I think a relationship within the trio could ruin the frienship, especially if they broke up. I used to have theory that Hermione and Harry would fall in love, and Hermione would die to save him and it would just perpetuate the visious cycle, but now I realise that is ludacrous. Aside from the fact that Harry and Hermione have shown no signs of being interested in a romantic relationship, the love between 16/17/18 year olds would be nowhere near as strong as the love of a mother, and I don't think it could work.

Perenelle Flamel
June 23rd, 2003, 3:37 pm
well the thing about Cho was pretty weird..

not much happened... but h & hr's relationship seemed to deepen.. the book talked about hermione's loyalty to Harry and all..

anyway bout ROn & Hermione.. hmm.. don't like it much.. but oh well!! what ever JK plans its quite alright.. she have her ways...

/edited! don't wanna be reported for spoilers.../ :sorry:

jordmundt6
June 23rd, 2003, 3:38 pm
Okay lots to talk about. Let's begin with the crashes and burns shall we.

1. Harry/Cho--Well, the crush is out of his system now. As a guy, I understood Harry's reactions quite well. I was really disappointed in the clearer picture of Cho. At first, I thought she was needy because Cedric had died and she cared about him. But her questions about Cedric weren't "Did he suffer?" "Could you have helped him?" and "Why didn't you?" They were "Did he ever mention me?" questions. Look woman, you're pretty, but Cedric had other things on his mind at the moment he met Lord Voldemort. Her initial reaction to Hermione was also understandable. "You made a date with another girl--one of your best friends when you said you'd spend the day with me?!" That I understood. Her storming out of the cafe, I understood. Her taking him to the cafe, a place that was obviously Hogsmeade's romantic spot was another matter. Does she love depression (and therefore want to relive with Harry everything she did with Cedric). Also, this is rather heavy for a first date. But her reaction to her friend Marietta's plight was much less forgivable. First she tried to excuse Marietta for endangering the careers (and possibly the lives--at least as far as continuation in the wizarding world) of more than two dozen other students who were doing nothing more than practicing material THAT THEY SHOULD HAVE ALREADY LEARNED. She blamed Hermione for taking a very sensible, if extreme, safety precaution...as Harry pointed out. When Harry quite reasonably defended Hermione, Cho flew off the handle. Way off.

2. Harry/Ginny--According to both Hermione and Ginny, Ginny gave up on Harry sometime after Christmas in GoF. She seems to be going through at least one, and possibly a series of rebound boyfriends. Her ability to completely control her flame of the moment (don't remember his name and don't feel like looking it up) was admirable and she did a great job coming out of her shell and proving that yes, there is some real power to be reckoned with in all of the Weasley children. I even think we see flashes of the young Molly in her. But y'know, I don't think that Ginny has completely given up on Harry, she doesn't seem to want to commit herself to a serious relationship that would totally put Harry out of her mind. At all. As to Dean Thomas, though it's quite possible that she's serious, we have no hard evidence that it was anything more than a random name to annoy Ron. Speaking of Ron...

Ron/Hermione--Well, we know now for sure and for certain that Ron is over the moon about Hermione. His reaction to Hermione's good luck kiss tells us that, even if his reaction to the Viktor letter and about a hundred other things didn't. I had originally thought that his reddening at the Quidditch celebration was nothing more than wounded pride "I finally, FINALLY, did something tremendous and my best friends (and the gal I hope iwll be my girlfriend) walked out?! WHY?!!" But it can just as easily (and especially with the kiss factored in) be "What are you two doing together that's so great that you walked out on Quidditch to be alone?" Also, Ron really seems to be pushing Harry and Ginny toward each other. This push intensifed after the first Quidditch match and Ron looke very alarmed and not a little sad that Ginny had taken up with someone else. Now, much of this can be attributed to his being a caring and, especially after CoS, protective big brother. But there seems to be an edge of self-interest in it. More in two years when we get Book Six (maybe). Side note on Ron. Except for one Quidditch match, that poor boy gets no respect for the entire book. Everybody, including (perhaps especially) Harry and Hermione is shocked that Ron gets the Prefect badge. Also, Ron does not behave like a Prefect once during the entire book. He looks down on younger students, doesn't stand up to his brothers, and neglects to lead by example. As a result, the one time he does try to act like a responsible Prefect he gets a face-full of snow. Dumbledore explains near the end of his sad discussion with Harry that he didn't appoint Harry Prefect because "I felt you had enough responsibility to be getting on with." This implies that Dumbledore believes, as most fans believe, that Harry is the best choice in his year to be Prefect. Let's hope Ron grows into the role, shall we?

Ron/Luna--If this exists at all, it's one-sided. Luna does seem to be following Ron around and talking to him as much as, if not more than she talks to Harry. But Ron obviously sees her as nothing more than an annoying oddball.

Harry/Hermione--Yes, Harry did his Angry Young Man impression for most of the book. But as in Goblet of Fire, he confided in Hermione as much and as often as he was able, more than once preferring her counsel to Ron's (big surprise). On Hermione's side, she really cares about him. She was deeply wounded when he went on his first volcanic tirade. She, more than Ron tries to placate his rage, make him see reason. She tries with all her might to keep him studying Occlumency. She tries hard (one would almost say too hard) to smooth his way with Cho, creating situations to promote the relationship (the Quibbler interview is a necessary step in fighting Voldemort) but Hermione obviously thought that it could be a bonding experience for Harry and Cho when she invited him to bring her along. She probably figured that given a better setting, he could fully explain himself to the wizarding world and answer all Cho's questions in one go. It's Hermione, not Ron who breaks into Harry's self-imposed isolation at Christmas when he feels that he may be the weapon.

ChaliceInnana
June 23rd, 2003, 3:42 pm
I was disappointed in Cho. I'd always hoped she'd be kind of evil and instead she was just crazy and boring.

Ginny is coming out of her shell and kicking ***! It is good to see. I am not throwing in the towel on her and Harry. He has just discovered she has a identity. And she is probably going to be cutting a wide romantic swath through the Great Hall before she gets back to Harry. Go girl!

Ron and Hermione, I love them. I know we didn't get too much...but I just think so.

I think next book we may have a Weasley wedding to look forward too. Bill's a smart guy, but if Fleur decides she wants him...he doesn't really have much of a choice.

I want Tonks to marry Charlie Weasley. They would be the ultimate fun couple.

Frankly, I am very sorry that Harry's first kiss was so icky and emotional unsatisfing. I am glad no more Cho.

FlyingPhoenix
June 23rd, 2003, 3:42 pm
the love between 16/17/18 year olds would be nowhere near as strong as the love of a mother, and I don't think it could work. Sorry but that is something I don´t understand. Why should the love between 16/17/18 year olds compare to mother love?
This is a little bit different love. I can see a Harry/Cho relationship working, but it would take time. Harry's fancied her since third year, and he can't just give up now, but Cho still needs time to get over Cedric The problem is that Harry seems don´t feel something for her anylonger. Its don´t bothering him that she didn´t speak with him or looked at him not even as she has a new boyfriend. No funny feelings nothing. His crush ended there.
As for Ron and Hermione, I really don't want it to happen, but its looking more and more likely There isn´t much what let me think so. To be exactly there are moment where I think Rons interest is fading away.

Barbara Kennedy
June 23rd, 2003, 3:48 pm
I'm afraid that it appeared that my theory that the trio will just remain friends was closer to the truth than I thought......

Fate
June 23rd, 2003, 4:02 pm
IU was never really sure what ship Iwas on till now but I have to say it is a H/HR ship. Why you ask, well let me say. I once thought that Ron had the green eyed monster of jealousy but just for HR. Now I see that it is for the two only girls in his life at the moment, Hr and Ginny. It does not matter which girl it is, there is apparently no boys good enought for either of them, except maybe one, Harry. I personally don't think that Harry and Ginny will get together but H/HR is to high a possibility. Ron would be jealous of any girl and boy combo if said girl had any closeness to Ron, whether it was a friend, sister or a cousin.

EmilyRose
June 23rd, 2003, 4:07 pm
I would love to see Tonks and Charlie, too. That would just be wonderful.

I'm actually rather glad Harry and Cho didn't work out. In actuality, it's rather realistic. Harry built her up as being just an unattainable goal and unrealistic picture of femininity, and it crashed. That happens when you have too much time to have a crush, and don't make a move on it.

I doubt it will be Harry and Ginny. Actually, I rather expect... and hope for.. it to be Neville and Ginny in the end. They'd be good for each other.

Ron and Hermione still have something between them they refuse to admit. It's aggravating, but not bad. Immediately, I think of Mulder and Scully. It goes on that way for quite some time.

Kacas
June 23rd, 2003, 4:31 pm
Hi guys - first time poster here! I'd like to throw in my 2 cents regarding Ron and Hermione:

Did anyone else notice how many times Harry compared them to Mr. and Mrs. Weasley? It's been mentioned before that they quarrel like a married couple, but the direct comparison to the Weasleys was very overt, in my opinion. Although I was slightly disappointed with the lack of any *real* steps forward (except for the peck on the cheek - very cute), I think that Harry's comparisons speak volumes about R+H. Also, someone mentioned the fact that Harry walks into the common room and they're there *not* talking - I took from this that they're by now very comfortable with eachother (unlike some places in GoF) and can share long silences without it being weird.

Karen.

Chickadee
June 23rd, 2003, 4:32 pm
"Give it back," said Ron, holding out his hand. "He is -" Ron said jerkily, tearing Percy's letter in half "the world's -" he tore it into quarters "biggest -" he tore it into eighths "git." He threw the pieces into the fire.
"Come on, we've got to get this finished sometime before dawn," he said briskly to Harry, pulling Professor Sinistra's essay back towards him.

Hermione was looking at Ron with an odd expression on her face. "Oh, give them here," she said abruptly.

"What?" said Ron.

"Give them to me, I'll look through them and correct them," she said.

:eyebrows: I was just wondering...do you think this 'odd expression' is a sign that Hermione is beginning to admire Ron? Just after Ron had ripped up that letter from Percy (which, incidentally, was telling him to 'sever ties' with Harry), I was actually admiring Ron and thinking how nice and sensible he was and, well, then Hermione gave him an odd look.

I reckon it shows that Hermione was impressed with him, and that's why she decided to look over their homework. Or maybe it's stupid. Did anyone else pick up on this?

FlyingPhoenix
June 23rd, 2003, 4:35 pm
Did anyone else notice how many times Harry compared them to Mr. and Mrs. Weasley? I did notice that and it was exactly one time as Hermione asked Ron for help that she could convince Harry that he won´t use Umbridge fireplace. She try it through two days till Harry did it. Even as Ron didn´t stand up to his brothers which were very much happy to help Harry. I wouldn´t count that because than you need to count Harrys comparing Ron with his father that he did the same thing with his hair and looked to the 3th years hufflepuff girls.

Flobberworm
June 23rd, 2003, 4:36 pm
I was glad that Harry had the first kiss (or so we think) and that he eventually got to go out with Cho. But I'm really happy that it didn't work out, I never saw them as a "serious" couple. I couldn't stand Cho crying all the time.

wolfie
June 23rd, 2003, 4:44 pm
Did you guys notice the mention of Bill/Fleur? I really wasn't expecting that!

And the Hermione/Krum pen-pal thing was a little odd. Do you think that she visited him over the summer? We didn't really get to hear much about it except for the fact that they were writing letters to each other.

The Krum thing made the Hermione/Ron ship stronger though. (Well considering that JK actually *said* that they would fall in love with each other, it's kind of obvous, but anyway...) And I though it was cute that Ron gave Hermione perfume for christmas. :) I'm not sure if Hermione likes Ron yet, but Ron definitely like Hermione.

lonewulf
June 23rd, 2003, 4:46 pm
Heres my first post, in my well post reading book five era. First let me say that I was disapointed in the "romance" of this book. Before i get heat mail, let me say that i loved the book. After reading this book it makes me more confused. I am a 150% totally a H/Hr shipper. GoF looked (unfortunatly) like a R/Hr. Now I dont know. There were a few hints about R/Hr but the fact that nothing at all happened makes me very skeptical that something will happen unless in book7. This is scary casue now there is no time for a R/Hr breakup and then H/Hr get together if this is so. THe book started with the total sinking of the H/Ginny ship, but ended with it possibly reaching the surface again. As for H/Hr, Cho out of the way ..good! I mean come on she is already seeing another guy!? I think she was only after Cedric information and such. Though nothing happends between H/Hr romantically I do love *** fact that JK has them together on almost every occasion. Now this might just mean super friends, but I hope more...overall...just needed to be more ...stuff, info, hints......but still a great book. PoA beter though...so is GoF. LK

EmilyRose
June 23rd, 2003, 4:53 pm
:welcome: to everyone who just joined in on the forum! Good to see you, and glad you jumped in!

Now, what I'm afraid of is that we'll get Harry and Loony Luna. I would be rather dissapointed.. she rather annoyed me most of the time.

onetruegryffindor
June 23rd, 2003, 4:56 pm
Go Hermy and Ron!
Go Hermy and Ron!
Come on you read the book you saw the signs you can no longer deny it!!!
Ron 4 Hermione
This ship will not sink!
He was disappointed when they didnt stay for the match He was outraged that she was writing to Krum
I agree the signs wern't so clear for Hemione 4 Ron but atleast we know she doesnt like Harry or else she would have been jealous that he kissed with cho and wouldnt have given him so much advice abou his relation ship with her
You know its obvious
J K has as good as said it

Kacas
June 23rd, 2003, 4:57 pm
Originally posted by EmilyRose (original post (http://www.cosforums.com/a/showthread.php?postid=388684#post388684))
:welcome: to everyone who just joined in on the forum! Good to see you, and glad you jumped in!

Now, what I'm afraid of is that we'll get Harry and Loony Luna. I would be rather dissapointed.. she rather annoyed me most of the time.

Well, she annoyed me too, but on the other hand I liked the way she wasn't afraid of showing her vulnerabilities - she didn't mind saying what she felt and saw (those horse thingies for instance), and she stood up for what she believed in. I also felt sorry for her - poor thing. On top of all this, I liked the comic relief she provided - all in all there wasn't much to laugh at in this book...

VeelaGirl
June 23rd, 2003, 4:57 pm
Wow! This book was great! As for the romances, these are just my humble opinions:

Harry/Ginny: I don't see this happening. Ginny probably just had a schoolgirl crush on Harry. And Harry seemed relieved that she had someone else to focus her attention on. I think Ginny will be a strong ally in the fight against Voldemort.

Harry/Cho: This one is done and over with. I'm not sure what Cho's intentions were with Harry, but she was or is definately grieving over Cedric still. Poor Micheal. And Harry was furious with her about defending her friend about snitching on the D.A. On the train home when Cho passed by, he said he really didn't care about impressing Cho anymore. This ship has sailed.

Luna/Ron: I think Luna has a bit of a crush on Ron. This will be interesting to see how this plays out. Although it is unrequited right now as Ron seems to be a bit preoccupied.

Ron/Hermione: I, too, picked up on the subtle desperation to push Harry to Cho or Ginny and away from Hermione. I thought it was sweet that he got her perfume, but her reaction was a little odd as she called it unusual. Wonder what it was? So far I think this ship is a little one sided, Ron is still in friend territory with Hermione. I think he knows that Hermione likes Harry. They spent the summer together without Harry, and all she probably did was talk about him, the danger he was in, how he was going to endanger himself. I think this is why Ron was "encouraging" Harry to persue other girls.

Harry/Hermione: Well I have to admit that I was wavering between R/Hr and H/Hr but after reading this book, I'm kind of tipping toward this ship. There was a lot of interaction between these two. Harry is beginning to really admire Hermione, although the wheels in his head are turning a bit slow there, the seed has been planted. There is also a lot of physical interaction between the two. She was the only one who could get Harry to talk during Christmas and she does pop into his mind alot. And we thought Ron and Hermione's fights were intense. Geez!

~BrandyTook~
June 23rd, 2003, 4:58 pm
To tell the truth, I was expecting more romance in this book. But I guess the plot was already so full, that it wouldn't have worked a swell. We'll get more in Book 6.

I was happy that Cho and Harry got together. I was so happy that he got his first kiss. I was smiling so much for him. In a way it's good that it didn't last. She couldn't get over Cedric, and Harry just can't handle girls emotions very well. It was bound to end. I'd always been worried about them getting together. She a year ahead of him, so I knew it could never get serious because she wouldn't be there for Book 7. So it's good that it ended, but it was nice to see.

I expected Ron and Hermione to get together, but they haven't yet. I'm sure they will in the next book. They seemed so much closer and weren't arguing as much this time. They seemed more comfortable with each other. I really hope they end up together, even though I was hoping for Harry and Hermione to get together before. But Ron and Hermione would be so good to see. Ron definitely like Hermione. He gave her perfume, blushed when she kissed him, and treated her better than before. It's going to be good to see this develop.

Wow for Ginny! She grew up so much in this book! She's dating and she's so much more brave and mature. It's good to see that she's incorporated as part of the main group now instead of just the little sister. Her romance bits were interesting to read about. I wasn't expecting it!

As for Luna... I hope not! She just struck me as a little creepy. But she was a big help.

The mention of Bill and Fleur was really neat too!

We didn't get much romance this time. I was expecting more, but I'm sure there is going to be a lot more next time!

crafty girl
June 23rd, 2003, 5:06 pm
I thought the "odd look" was more of a sign of her understanding Ron and feeling sorry for him (instead of wanting to yell at him). Maybe she was having some sort of insight into Ron's character and she liked what she saw, but I think it was mostly compassion.

Also, don't forget the kiss on the cheek (was it before his first Quidditch game?)...

jmk623
June 23rd, 2003, 5:09 pm
I was hoping Cho and Harry would get together and I got my wish...........
....and I no longer like Cho anymore. It was nice when they kissed, though. Harry's reaction was real cute. But other than that, they didn;t have an all that romantic time. The fight over Harry meeting Hermione, fight about Marietta, Cho's questions about Cedric.
At least Harry has gotten over his crush the nice way. He wasn't turned down or has his heart crushed, he simply got over her. Cho was pretty weird, crying over every little thing, mentioning Cedric in front of Harry. I don't think they'll get together again, but then Lily and James weren't so lucky at first........

It was great seeing Ginny out of her shell. Finally she got over Harry, and became this cool kid. I think she rivals the twins. :) She may be a still a tiny bit intrested in Harry though.......

R/Hr. Puh~~~leeze~~~ will Ron come to his senses? He likes Hermione, but I don't think he realizes it. Maybe more to come in the other books.....

Dreamprincess288
June 23rd, 2003, 5:21 pm
Okay, here's my thoughts on the romance of the book:

Harry/Cho: It seemed resonable for J.K. to pair the two of them together. I mean, Harry ended his schoolboy crush and now is capable to move on to others, I don't think that anything else is going to happen between the two of them.

Harry/Ginny: Wow... I was getting signs for this relationship all over the place! I love Ginny's sassy personality and she and Harry seem to get along really well. As of GOF I hated the idea of Harry and Ginny, I didn't think it would work and altough I am a full R/H shipper I actually thought I would prefer Harry with Hermione rather than Harry with Ginny. However, after this book I really see a lot of foreshadowing to a Harry/Ginny relationship.

Harry/Hermione: I really didn't see this at all in Book 5. They seem to have reached a level of pure friendship, no romantic feelings. They seem to care for each other a lot, but not in romantic ways... they are very platonic through the entire book.

Ron/Hermione: I was dissapointed that after all the hints in GOF that so few incidents happened between the two of them. At the same time, I think with everything happening in the book putting a relationship between R/H would have seemed a little forced... while I was reading I noticed clues that they still carry feelings for each other but I don't think that it would have made sense for them to hook up, esp. with Voldemort back, Harry already feeling that they isolated him, and everything else. I have a feeling this relationship, if it develops at all, won't happen until the sixth or seventh book because both are too loyal to Harry to focus on each other when he is in need of their help.

Luna/Ron: I think Luna is definetly a bit smitten by Ron, although I have to admit that pairing is a little weird. Cute, but weird.

Luna/Harry: No way... absolutly no way, I don't see this at all, so I'm not even gonna comment!

Jade
June 23rd, 2003, 5:32 pm
I was expecting alot of romance in the book,not as many hormones as I thought Harryand Cho, I knew wern't going to last at all from the Begining im supprised the got as far as they did to be honest. I think Harry and Luna may be a possibility because she seemed to like him from my perspective.I was also suprised that nothing happend Between Rom and Hermione.I felt like It was devoid of romance. I did like the was ron reacted to Ginnys boyfriends though

hermownninny
June 23rd, 2003, 5:49 pm
C'mon..H/Hr is clearer than ever!!!

--- Ron was also jealous of Ginny..excellent point!! someone said it befor..

----Harry is really proud of Hermione...he felt proud of Hermione jinxing ability...

----He keeps thinking about what she would say...

----Harryto Hermione: But I don't think you are ugly...

----He confused her and Cho in his dream...WOW..Did I say confused?? Cho became Hermione in the dream!!!!

What is really hard to know thoug is how Hermione feels though...I don't think she likes Ron and I don't think she really likes Harry either...Althought I thought that the part when she tells Harry about how he should have said that he found her ugly was completely unnecessary....Howerer, she could care less that he was dating Cho....ALSO, Luna obviously likes Ron, and Hermione couldn't care less either.....she has now kissed both of them, so it doesn't really mean anything....
OK I'm confused now...:sigh:

jordmundt6
June 23rd, 2003, 6:02 pm
My disection concluded

Harry/Luna--Please GOD NOO!!!!! I've had about as much of her as I can stand. Her linking with Harry in future books as anything more than a friend that he might sympathize with would drive me up a tree. Of course, my fears are based on his pity towards her.

Did I read right? Do some of you think Ron's interest is fading away? Huh? Harry grinned at the twins after he got his farewell kiss "last year." Ron reacted as if he'd recieved some precious token of a lady's favor. And he's pushing any feasible relationship at Harry. He was wildly encouraging about Cho (until it was absolutely clear that that was going nowhere) and he really pushed for Ginny and Harry to link up. It wasn't a friendly tease either. He was really pushing them together and it didn't work. Could he be panicking as he's waking up too late to his own feelings for Hermione and he feels threatened by the deepening (even if it's a platonic deepening) of Harry's relationship to Hermione. But I still feel kinda sorry for Ron. He was Dumbledore's second choice for Prefect and Dumbledore explicitly chose him because he didn't want Harry loaded down (deservedly) with more responsibility.

Gred and Forge
June 23rd, 2003, 6:12 pm
I have a question: what dream is that when Cho turns into Hermione? I've been looking for it, but can't find it.

hermownninny
June 23rd, 2003, 6:16 pm
It is the one when Harry sees Cho crying and then it becomes Hermione saying something..I don't remember now...But I'm going to find it roght now.....Can someone help here? What chapter was that in?

Sirius83
June 23rd, 2003, 6:16 pm
Harry/Ginny: This ship has sunk, if you ask me. It's over and done with, Ginny's over her crush and Harry made no signs at all of her meaning any more to him than before.

Harry/Cho: This ship sailed and sank! I am glad; Harry got his first kiss and everything, but it's over and done with. I also don't care much for Cho anymore.

Harry/Luna: No. I think he pities her on the bullying because of his experience with Dudley, but theres no romance going on there.

Ron/Hermione: This ship has gotten weaker since the last book. Ron still has feelings for Hermione but they're really not being returned at all.

Ron/Luna: My new ship. I can see this happening!

Ginny/Neville: I like Ginny's character now. I am also very pleased at Neville's development. I would really like to see these two together now.

Harry/Hermione: As an H/Hr shipper and member of the HMS Harmony, i am very happy to say that this ship is stronger than ever! All the one on one time, all the instances of Harry thinking about Hermione, All that Hermione did for him - not to mention seeming not too pleased about the whole Harry/Cho thing...this ship is getting stronger and stronger and i believe it is just a matter of time before it is set in stone.

jordmundt6
June 23rd, 2003, 6:19 pm
Hermowninny--If I had to guess I'd say it was the The Eye of the Snake or whatever that chapter where Harry felt himself become the snake was called. I think the Eye of the Snake or Through the Eye of the Snake. Something like that. Because that personal life dream merged right into his experience of Voldemort's attack.

Pansy
June 23rd, 2003, 6:25 pm
Originally posted by hermownninny (original post (http://www.cosforums.com/a/showthread.php?postid=388939#post388939))
C'mon..H/Hr is clearer than ever!!!

OK, only because I haven't finished the book yet, I will not necessarily disagree with this, however, I do agree with most of what you say here...

What is really hard to know thoug is how Hermione feels though...I don't think she likes Ron and I don't think she really likes Harry either...Althought I thought that the part when she tells Harry about how he should have said that he found her ugly was completely unnecessary....Howerer, she could care less that he was dating Cho....ALSO, Luna obviously likes Ron, and Hermione couldn't care less either.....she has now kissed both of them, so it doesn't really mean anything....
OK I'm confused now...:sigh:

Up to the point that I've read, Hermione's feelings are very in the dark. I think she doen't like either. However, something is bothering me, Harry's annoyance at how Ron and Hermione bicker... its as if Harry is thinking to himself "get a room already or just kiss and get it over"... as if Harry is suggesting that Ron and Hermione are meant for each other.

Again, I'm only half way done, but Luna definitely likes Ron, I got taht from the very introduction of her character. I'm glad Harry has sorted through his feelings for Cho and that is over. Hmmmm...

You-Know-Who
June 23rd, 2003, 6:28 pm
Hmmm, what about Neville/Luna.... :p

Oh well, the only thing I have to say about H/Hr is that JKR stated in interviews that their relationship is platonic, nothing more. And if you read carefully Hermione is a counsellor for Harry, you could replace Hermione with any male character with the same personallity and you would have almost the same dialogue.

The other thing I noticed is that, Harry didn't ask atleast once in his entire book about Ron's or Hermione love life, sheesh, how arrogant can you get?

Faye
June 23rd, 2003, 6:38 pm
Harry/Cho is a classic example of the teenage love cycle: crush, brief period of going out, and then a massive breakup. Attraction still remains, but it is minute. Let's face it, Harry is bubbling over with hormones at this point in his life, and his situation only serves to worsen it. There was no way he could form a stable relationship in the book. Heck, us normal folks had a hard enough time in high school as it was. Add on a dark lord invading one's mind and a girl with a dead ex-boyfriend killed by the same guy and you've got a lot of angst just waiting to explode.

Joki911
June 23rd, 2003, 6:44 pm
Funny really, seeing all of you speclutating over who will get together with whom...
the Harry Cho thing was bound to happen, but clearly coudn't work out.

But other than that, everything is possible.
I would love to see harry and Hermione hitting it of but somehow i don't think i would work. It would really spice things up within the trio. But we will see...
and i will not get my hopes up for anything....

see ya

chow mein
June 23rd, 2003, 6:49 pm
I used to be a skeptic on Harry/Ginny relationships - now I'm not so sure. Ginny is starting to get out there - and her and Harry seem to be talking and relating to each other a little bit more (the Voldemort possession thing) than they used to.

As for Ron/Hermione - There was a scene where she kisses Ron on the cheek - did she kiss Harry too? I was just wondering because Hermione's actions toward Harry seem like Mrs. Weasley's almost - just overprotective, so I don't think they'll be romantic towards each other.

Sirius83
June 23rd, 2003, 6:54 pm
I wa swaiting for someone to mention that...didn't Hermione also kiss Harry at the end of GOF? To me, theres one of 2 things going on here:

1) Both kisses were platonic
2) She might have feelings for both boys?

Right now - i'm leaning towards the first somewhat...but i really saw a lot of H/Hr potential in this book.

FlyingPhoenix
June 23rd, 2003, 6:55 pm
Orginal by Pansy:Up to the point that I've read, Hermione's feelings are very in the dark. I think she doen't like either. However, something is bothering me, Harry's annoyance at how Ron and Hermione bicker... its as if Harry is thinking to himself "get a room already or just kiss and get it over"... as if Harry is suggesting that Ron and Hermione are meant for each other.
Not that in the dark if you read how exactly she react to Cho and to Harry. Than you need to compare Hermiones perfect playing with Umbridge as she try to use crucio at Harry. That girl lies like a champion its interest and all people around her believe her till she say the name and the DA and Harry know she lies. This is in a situation what you can call as very stressfully now I ask myself how well can she play? If she can think about it long enough. At this point comes the V-day into play. Hermione knows with who she will be in the three broomstick though she say to Harry he can bring Cho with him. After this kiss Hermione have to know that Harry don´t know how a girl think so it might be a good idea to tell him he should say he don´t like to meet Hermione. But did she do that? No, she didn´t much care even it was V-Day. Do you really think she don´t know what a girl might think if she comes with her boyfriend in a pub to meet his best female friend which was as rumor his girlfriend and meet there that woman who wrote it? Think about it.
I don´t think Harry dos think so he is suspicious at he comes to Sirius house and know that they were together and didn´t care about him but not as he told them to shut up.

jordmundt6
June 23rd, 2003, 6:55 pm
You also tend to be very protective of very close friends or those you might see as soulmates and that's the role she's sliding into. And yes, she kissed Harry on the cheek before they separated at King's Cross. The temporal placement of the kiss doesn't mean anything as this isn't an Oscar Wilde play, but it's important to note that Harry is confiding a lot more in Hermione than he is in Ron and they tend to do solo adventures whereas he and Ron hardly ever do anything without Hermione.

The good-luck kiss which really seemed mostly to be about inspiring Ron and calming him down (I don't know why I ever decided to try this, etc.) but Ron was very taken with it. Although Harry grinned afterwards, Ron was totally thrown. His reaction (touching his cheek as if wondering, did that just happen?) seems to indicate that he is falling for Hermione and realizes it. Hence his encouragement to Harry to find a girlfriend who isn't Hermione, any girlfriend and his increasing desperation as windows start to close. He may have awakened too late to his feelings.

Jade
June 23rd, 2003, 7:02 pm
sorry to jump in but dosent Ginny now date Dean Thomas

hermownninny
June 23rd, 2003, 7:15 pm
H/Hr thing I completely forgot....

Yes, all of you have your reasons...and I completely agrre with what Pansy said....

However, I disagree with hermione liking Harry YET...I think she doesn't like him although she might like him later..she is now really into the study thing..she is really clever in everything, ...but everyone knows that she is always right except when she gets too emotional...
I forgot to say, even though JKR said long time ago their friendship was platonic, she said in the NBC interview when they asked her : "Harry and Hermione! Do you think so?" She was being cryptic about it...

IN the beginning of the book, Harry's anger was mostly at Ron for becoming prefect....

he was also angry at how they spent a lot of time TOGETHER...yes, they said that in BIG LETTERS...... and even Harry asks with resentment: "So what have you two been up to?" and he was resentful about it...It couldn't mean anything..but it could mean a lot too.... I really think that Harry and Ron will have troubles over there about this..

Sirius83
June 23rd, 2003, 7:22 pm
Because remember - we've always said,t he platonic quote refered to the present tense - POA/GOF. Also, while Harry wa sangry at how much time they spent together...as the book pregresses...despite Ron and Hermione both being prefects...didn't Hermione spend more time with Harry than with Ron?

Yavanna
June 23rd, 2003, 7:30 pm
I liked what happened between Cho and Harry- just a childhood crush that was gone by the end of the book, but I am still waiting for stuff to happen between Hermione and Ron! Though they did argue a lot, definitely a sign of liking each other, picking on each other...

hermownninny
June 23rd, 2003, 7:31 pm
Yeah, but when he got angry was at the beginning.....He felt kind of left out..Hey, that's how jealousy starts.....Maybe he spent more time with her on purpose...Also, he only seemed to react seriously at her..like, when she ordered him to get out of the room b/c she needed to talk to him. He did it immediately....Of course, there si always the possibility we could be reading signs that aren't there really....but I do remember that Harry thought he was angry because he was in Privet Dr while Ron and Hermione were TOGETHER having fun..the key work is TOGETHER...

chow mein
June 23rd, 2003, 7:36 pm
I don't think he was mad just because they were together - he was mad because they were together without him - they completely left him out - or that's how he felt...

tizzy weasley
June 23rd, 2003, 7:42 pm
I was surprised there weren't any big romances. I was especially surprised with Harry and Cho. Didn't he want her? But how she acted around him and all wasn't that great. And Ron and Hermione didn't show too much compassion towards each other...except for that kiss before the quidditch match.

chow mein
June 23rd, 2003, 7:43 pm
Was it just me, or did anyone else find the kiss between Harry and Cho comedic?

hermownninny
June 23rd, 2003, 7:43 pm
yeah..that what I said, I felt left out, but maybe he would want to be with her more in the future b/c he would not want to feel this way again, and that would carry to something else, b/c he might realize he really like her company.....

Fleur
June 23rd, 2003, 7:55 pm
I'm very glad that Harry got Cho out of his system. It was, as many said, a teenage crush, and nothing more. Since most people have already mentioned the chances of what ships may float or sink, I won't bother putting my R/Hr biased comments into the mix.

Hoever, now I can see JKR is at a bit of difficulty. Either Hermione goes with Ron, and the H/Hr shippers are dissapointed, or Herminone goes with Harry, and the R/Hr shippers are dissapointed. Will she just keep them as friends for the rest of the series? I have a feeling going in that direction will not please anyone.

Kacas
June 23rd, 2003, 7:56 pm
Originally posted by chow mein (original post (http://www.cosforums.com/a/showthread.php?postid=389452#post389452))
Was it just me, or did anyone else find the kiss between Harry and Cho comedic?

I thought it was hillarious "it was..... wet!" LOL
Also, very tactfully done.

NYCwitch920
June 23rd, 2003, 7:56 pm
I have to admit, I was very disappointed in the fact that we didn't see anything really happen between Ron and Hermione except for the kiss on the cheek before the Quidditch match. I wish there could have been more in the book about their feelings but I think it might mean that JKR is saving a possible relationship between them in the last two books. Now that I think about it, having them get together towards the end would make them stay together rather than having them get together in Book 5 and have them break up. :sigh: I guess JKR did it for the best.
Now....regarding....Harry and Cho. When I read about them and their kiss, I was really surprised. I thought it wasn't possible for them to get together because of the fact that she used to be with Cedric. I was glad that Harry had his first kiss but with Cho? I know most people on the boards thought that she would be busy mourning Cedric to pay attention to Harry. I really didn't expect that.
As for Harry and Ginny: I think the "furtive glance" that Ron gave towards Harry at the end of Book 5 when he told Ginny to choose "someone better next time" was a clear signal that something might happen between them later on in the books. I was happy that Ginny grew up a bit. I think it makes a relationship with Harry more possible but I don't think we would have been ready for a Harry and Ginny relationship anyway.
Now i just want to read Book 6! All the questions that are left unanswered.

BCD
June 23rd, 2003, 8:27 pm
[i]Originally posted by Max

This is shown yet again when Hermione kissed Ron on the cheek instead of Harry, as she did in GoF.
I was under the impression that she kissed Ron, and moved to kiss Harry, but it cut to Ron being surprised.

But, anyway, I'm glad Harry and Cho are over. I never expected it to work out, as he only knew that she was pretty, but not so much about her personality. He got it and didn't like it.

Now. Harry and Hermione. *swoons* I loved the closeness. I was honestly disappointed by how Harry treated her throughout the book. The yelling, and all. I wanted her to slap him, and bring him back to his senses.

I think Ron and Luna could very well get together. She seems to like him, and he doesn't notice, like with every possible relationship he doesn't have going one.

And Harry and Ginny. I've never had faith in this ship or liked it, and I'm really glad that Ginny has moved on, and I hope she never returns.

jordmundt6
June 23rd, 2003, 8:31 pm
About Harry's description of the kiss--I literally said to the book "What are you, Rain Man?" This is Dustin Hoffman's description of Raymond's first kiss in the movie Rain Man.

jordmundt6
June 23rd, 2003, 8:40 pm
Yeah, usually the Prefects (as a school group) spend a lot of time together. But Hermione spends much more time with Harry than with Ron. A lot more. Odd. Of course the whole Prefect unity thing could be blocked by the fact that four of the Prefects are blood enemies but still. Also, in spite of a slikghtly more active Ravenclaw role, all of it focused on women who were not Prefects. Cho and Luna Lovegood who's nice and all but could we maybe shelve her like the Creeveys for a bit? Please? Thanks. There was no Padma Patil to be seen (mercifully) and we barely met Anthony Goldstein. Hey did you notice that almost all the non-Slytherin Prefects were in the D.A.

emikkime
June 23rd, 2003, 8:43 pm
In my opinion there wasn't much romance in this book.

Major shock about Ginny's 2 boyfriends.

Harry being an idiot about his relationship with Cho.

Ron and Hermione's relationship going 89326 steps backwards.

Luna being mystically weird.

SnowyOwl
June 23rd, 2003, 9:24 pm
I thought the the romance angles were perfectly done. I enjoyed the sheer youthfulness of them. How refreshing that relationships can be so realistically done and that JK did not resort to the Soap Opera Syndrome.

Harry and Cho: Thanks Cho, for introducing Harry into the mysteries of the female mind. You served a purpose.

Ron and Hermione: coming along nicely. Loved Ron's "Why don't you worry about me?" Also loved Hermione's good luck kiss on Ron's cheek--and no, she didn't kiss Harry as well.

Ginny's a crack-up (a person who makes you laugh out loud) who's playing the field. Harry will have to put forth some effort if he ends up wanting a relationship with her (my personal feeling is that he will want to).

FlamingFuryOfXHope
June 23rd, 2003, 9:31 pm
Honestly, I was expecting a little bit more..however, it was very well written.

The Ginny thing bothered me...please don't let her bea "scarlet woman"

The Harry/Cho thing was beautiful. I knew it might not work to well, but for the most part..it was great.

Ther Ron/Hermione thing. I was hoping for more here. But did you notice that when Hermione kissed him..he kinda well, focused on that a lot. I knew their relationship would grow more.

Kendra
June 23rd, 2003, 9:36 pm
I went all girly and giggily with Cho and harry, very well written, I was pleasently surprised! As for H/Hr, I can see it happening I'm afraid. Or Ron and Harry both wanting her. Agh I dunno, JKR is playiong with our minds yet again, I hate it and love how she does this!

zent
June 23rd, 2003, 9:36 pm
I think OOtP is steering so greatly in the direction of H/Hr that I'm more convinced than before this is what will happen.

Hermione seemed upset when Harry wasn't prefect to begin with. Harry seemed to have the most trouble with Cho because of Hermione, and the feelings that they appeared to have for each other. Harry was more happy to be with Hermione than Cho, it seemed to me.

Where did Harry go for advice? Hermione. I don't know, but it seems that H/Hr is the way it's going.

As for Harry-Cho, I was a tad disappointed. It seemed a little jumpy (not emotionally, but in terms of relation to the story). They got together for Valentine's Day, and then nothing really happens for a while. Then they have another fight, and then nothing really happens again for a while.

potterfreak24
June 23rd, 2003, 9:37 pm
One thing that convinced me that R/H might not happen at all...was during Ron's Quidditch match. Both Harry and Hermione were out watching it, then Hagrid wanted to take them to show him his brother. This would have been a good opportunity to have Hermione stay behind to watch her 'supposed crush' play in a game that he really enjoys. Harry could have gone alone and told BOTH ron and Hermione what happened. Instead Hermione goes with Harry and Hagrid.

Not to mention the fact that Ron was upset at both of them that they weren't there to watch the game.

I just find it odd about how much time Harry and Hermione spend together and how if she truly likes Ron that she would stay to support him. She came to every match of Harry's (I believe) even when she was mad at him (in PoA: after the whole firebolt incident)

I'm not a big fan of Ron...even more so after this book...so I hope for goodness sake that he doesn't get the girl.

Springy
June 23rd, 2003, 9:39 pm
Wow, all of you read the book so quicky?? Quicker than me... Arr, I thought I read the book quick but, wow.

Haven't post hear for like months. Anyway, here is my opinion. I do not ship anyone, but used to ship H/H.

Ron and Hermione - Arrh, nothing at all apart from what you lot have mention above. But it is very obvious that Ron likes Hermione though even though he hasn't reliese it yet. Hermione though, hmm, we have to wait and see.

Luna and Ron - Loony Luna, she really is annoying. Not sure about liking Ron though, maybe, just maybe though. No chance with Ron liking her, too rapped up with Hermione.

Harry and Ginny - Interesting. Saw nothing through out. It looks like Ginny has really loosen up though and not fixated on Harry all the time. But in the future, this can develop though. With Ginny now able to not go all shy over Harry every time she see him, it might give a chance for Harry to get to know her a bit. You never know whats around the corner.

Harry and Luna - Hmm, not sure on this, and Harry clearly doesn't like her that much, but they do have to connection about deaths and about the veil in the circular room. I saw nothing at all that they will get together apart from the last few pages where Harry found her trying to post notes so she can get her stuff. Maybe this is not romatic, but I feel that Harry will gradually like Luna as a friend. I don't know why, have a felling

Harry and Cho - Thought this was going to happen, and I knew that they won't last long, but I never knew that cho would get jealous of Hermione though. I actually thought that their personalities would clash, and they would be getting on each other's nerves after going on a couple of dates. How wrong was I...

Harry and Hermione - Last but not least. I see this happening, but I know it won't. Harry as some people has said that Harry has been confining in Hermione a lot and thinking about her a lot more. It shows that Harry has develop more of a stronger bond between her and himself, but with Hermione couldn't careless about harry and cho relationship and what JKR has said, this won't happen, and if people said that the quote was done a few years back; JKR had the whole series plotted out long before then and and sure she meant that Hermione and Harry would not get together in the whole intire series. I might be worng, but that is what I few.

Grace Granger
June 23rd, 2003, 9:43 pm
Okay, I haven't read all the posts so bear with me, but what I've read so far has been great. :clappy:

Harry/Cho: The "only" couple to have sailed ship momentarily, is now back! I, for one, was not expecting for this relationship to happen at all. When it did, I still didn't expect it to go anywhere, but I was worried that it would because this is JKR so you never know. I found Cho to be a whiny little brat, but she had her reasons, no doubt. She wasn't fully over Cedric and I think she may have perhaps tried to forget about him by going out with guys who like her. She picked Harry because of his connection with Cedric. She, obviously, loved Cedric enough to ask if he mentioned her before he died. Which is a stupid question being that we, the readers, know he didn't have time to think of her. I felt a bit sorry for her. I felt a bit sorry for Harry, too. His first crush is an emotional nutcase. Which is the last thing he needs when he has enough problems.

Harry/Ginny: My wish came true! :D But, of course, there are two more books left so who knows. Harry is, definitely, not interested in her because even after he and Ron discovered from Hermione that she's with Michael, he was thinking about Cho. Now they can be friends finally. Alleluia!

Ron/Luna: Not going to happen. I do think she fancies him, but I see her moving on as well. I think it was cute to see her crush on him because she's a little out there, you know. I liked her character actually.

I shall leave the two major SHIPS for tonight, due to the fact that I have to leave work now! CIAO! :D

hermownninny
June 23rd, 2003, 10:24 pm
Hahahaha..this is becoming good.....

I'm not sure about there not being ROMANCE..I mean, JKR said that there would be a LOT going on in this book about the Romance, if she said it, it's because it's there and we are just not looking carefully enough...
I thought that it had a lot...C'mon..Harry received his first kiss....=)...from Cho .....=(....

Even though I go with H/Hr theory, and because of that I would see hints everywhere, I'm really convinced that they will be friends all the series and that they might find Romance in other people......Harry..well, sadly I think harry might die...Hermione..well, she is still writes to Krum...and I don't know why I have the feeling that Ron and Luna you-know-what, at least Luna likes him....

ron fan
June 23rd, 2003, 10:42 pm
Wow! Everybody has had such interesting things to say on this thread! There were a lot of comments that really made me think.

And now to add my own 2 cents to the bunch:
First, I really liked the way the whole Harry/Cho thing was written. I've never liked Cho, but figured that eventually they would get together. I think their little romance was well done because that's how it can be in early adolescence, "relationships" that end almost before they've begun. I know I had a couple. I didn't really expect to last long, because Harry had a crush on her based purely on her looks.

Second, I personally thought there were a lot of signs (at least on Ron's part and a few from Hermione) for a Ron/Hermione pairing eventually. I belong to the camp that would like to see this relationship develop and had hoped to see something happen with it in Book 5, but twas not to be! Having said this though, after reading through the posts in this thread, I do now see a possibility for a Harry/Hermione relationship in the future.

I was very surprised by Ginny's relationships, and I am not yet sure what I think about any future possible relationships of hers with Harry or even Neville. For some time I had thought eventually she would get together with Harry, but now I'm not so sure.

Okay, now I'm afraid I might get booed for this one, but at the end, for some reason, I actually got the feeling that there could be a Harry/Luna pairing in the future, and I found the thought intriguing. I, too, thought Luna liked Ron in this book, but at the same time, it seemed to me like Luna was able to understand some things that Harry was dealing with that no one else could, not even Hermione. However, I think it'll be a while before Harry's thoughts turn to romance again because he has a lot on his mind right now.

Pansy
June 23rd, 2003, 10:50 pm
Originally posted by Fleur (original post (http://www.cosforums.com/a/showthread.php?postid=389495#post389495))
Hoever, now I can see JKR is at a bit of difficulty. Either Hermione goes with Ron, and the H/Hr shippers are dissapointed, or Herminone goes with Harry, and the R/Hr shippers are dissapointed. Will she just keep them as friends for the rest of the series? I have a feeling going in that direction will not please anyone.

Before the release, I was a R/Hr shipper. I'm not finished with the book (but I don't mind being spoiled) but as of the point where I am (CH 16), I'm still pushing for R/hr. That being said, I still won't be disappointed with H/HR end up together. :angel:

OK, the kiss on the cheek between hr/r, I hadn't read that part yet.... oh well, can't wait to get there, and then I'll let you know what I think. However, I do think from what everyone is describing, that it may not be as "platonic" as was the kiss at King's Cross. I'll let you know. :sigh:

I LOVED the Harry's first kiss with Cho scene, in fact, I skipped ahead and read all of it. Perfectly written! In fact, I was somewhat surprised that Hermione and Ron were sorta "non-chalant" about Harry's first kiss. Hermione is the one who asks if they kissed, and seems to be unaffected by Harry's storyl. (At the time she is also writing to Viktor Krum, which makes me think maybe more happened between those two.) Ron is happy for him, but doesn't appear jealous, or left out (as far as we know, he hasn't been kissing anyone, ever).... it was funny when Hermione tells Harry he wasn't bad at it, and Ron asks her how she would know... :rotfl:

The thing that moved me most by the scene (and it could be biased by my r/hr ship hopes) was that Ron and Hermione were so comfortable sitting together, and talking about Harry's love life. It was like a well established couple discussing their friend's recent date. Well, I haven't gotten much further, so maybe I'm wrong here. (I did see parts where Cho is jealous of Hermione, but I still don't think Hermione has feelings for Harry) :sigh:

I am absolutely THRILLED that Ron's character is finally gaining some recognition. I loved that he is made Prefect, loved that he got onto the quidditch team, loved that things are starting to happen to him to make him more self confident. Before Ron was always in Harry's shadow, and even Harry assumed he was "better" than Ron (loved how Harry grovels with his feelings when Ron is made Prefect, and how he realizes he is still his friend) Ron appears to me to be absolutely clueless about love, crushes, relationships, etc. For examply, his astonishment that Ginny is dating. Even Ginny is passing him by in this area of life. So, the fact that he is clueless means to me that he has true feelings for Hermione (even if unknown) and that their relationshiop may develop more over the next two books.

Flying Phoenix: Some of your response to my earlier post was from parts that I haven't read yet. I get the gist of what you are meaning - that Hermione is cleaver enough to work a situation to her benefit, but I just don't think she is that devious. I could be wrong, especially since I haven't finished reading. :o

I also agree that Hermione seemed disappointed that Harry wasn't made prefect, but now that Ron is prefect with her, I think she will start to see him in a different light so to speak.... this assuming she is completely consumed with Harry.

One thing is for certain it seems, I don't think either the h/hr or r/hr ship have been disproven at all.

Springy
June 23rd, 2003, 10:52 pm
Harry..well, sadly I think harry might die...
But if Harry dies, that means Voldermort lives, according to the prophecy, unless both of them dies at the same time, but I am not too sure that is what the Prophecy said. Unclear a bit. But for whatr I interpret, Harry will live, or die. If he lives, Voldemort will be dead, if he dies, Voldemort lives.

Gone whey off topic, sorry.

muziklover
June 23rd, 2003, 10:58 pm
Here are interviews with Rowling that I found (from newest to oldest). Personally, I think that in her mind, she already has the couples she wants to get together but they will not be paired up till Book 6 or 7.

June 20, 2003 - msnbc.com article
From 'Inside Order of the Phoenix':
Couric: “Any snogging with Hermione?”
Rowling: “Harry and Hermione! Do you think so?”

Thursday, 19 June, 2003, 19:05 GMT 20:05 UK
From Transcript of JK Rowling: The Interview
JEREMY PAXMAN: But that's the usual pattern of children's books isn't it? Swallows and Amazons is the same isn't it? The children never age. But your....
JK ROWLING: And it reaches its apotheosis in Peter Pan obviously, where it is quite explicit, and I find that very sinister. I had a very forthright letter from a woman who had heard me say that Harry was going to have his first date or something and she said "Please don't do that, that's awful. I want these books to be a world where my children can escape to." She literally said "free from hurt and fear" and I'm thinking "Have you read the books? What are you talking about free from hurt and fear? Harry goes through absolute hell every time he returns to school." So I think that a bit of snogging would alleviate matters.
JEREMY PAXMAN: So there will be some pairing up will there in this book?
JK ROWLING: Well in the fullness of time.
JEREMY PAXMAN: Unlikely pairings? Not Hermione and Draco Malfoy or anything like that?
JK ROWLING: I don't really want to say as it will ruin all the fan sites. They have such fun with their theories ... and it is fun, it is fun. And some of them even get quite close. No-one has ever - I have gone and looked at some of it and no-one's ever ... There is one thing that if anyone guessed I would be really annoyed as it is kind of the heart of it all. And it kind of explains everything and no-one's quite got there but a couple of people have skirted it. So you know, I would be pretty miffed after thirteen or fourteen years of writing the books if someone just came along and said I think this will happen in book seven. Because it is too late, I couldn't divert now, everything has been building up to it, and I've laid all my clues.

Sydney Morning Herold Interview October 28, 2001
I want Harry Potter and his friends to grow up as well as older, though I'll keep it all humorous, well within the tone of the books. I want them eventually to be truly 17 and discover girlfriends and boyfriends and have sexual feelings - nothing too gritty. Why not allow them to have those feelings?

From BBC "Red Nose Day" Online Chat (March 12, 2001):
Question: Does Hermione like Ron as more than a friend?
JKR: "The answer to that is in Goblet of Fire!"

Question: Will Harry ever notice the long-suffering Ginny Weasley?
JK Rowling: "You'll see... poor Ginny, eh?. Poor Ginny, languishing in love for Harry, and he's merrily asking out other girls right under her nose! But that's just a boy thing."

From Barnes and Noble Chat (Oct 20, 2000):
Question: Is it just me, or was something going on between Ron and Hermione during the last half of Goblet of Fire? I love your books, by the way, and two of them I've read straight through cover to cover in under 24 hours.
JKR: "Well done on the reading speed! yes, something's "going on," but Ron doesn't realize it yet. Typical boy."

Barnes and Noble Chat October 20, 2000
Will Ron ever get a girlfriend?
I'm laughing again.... Why wouldn't he?! Though he's not doing too well at the moment, is he? But then, Fleur Delacour was really aiming a bit high.

AOL Live from Edinburgh :May 4, 2000
UKMCLive: Goldhook is looking to the future... Ms. Rowling, can you discuss the possiblity of a central character dying? AND as Harry matures does a love interest develop between he and Hermione? Thank you.
JKR Live: Well, as I said, there will be deaths, but I am giving nothing away there, as for Harry & Hermione... do you really think they're suited?

From Scholastic Online Chat Transcript (February 3, 2000)
Question: Is Harry Potter ever going to fall in love with Hermione or is he going to fall in love with Ginny Weasley?
JKR: In Book IV Harry does decide he likes a girl, but it's not Hermione or Ginny. However, he's only 14, so there's plenty of time for him to change his mind. ;-)

From Oct 1999 National Press Club Author's Luncheon
Question: Do Harry and Hermione have a date?
JKR. "No. They're very platonic friends. But I won't answer for anyone else! Nudge nudge, wink wink"

hermownninny
June 23rd, 2003, 11:07 pm
WOW...Thanks.....But I still think she is very mysterious about it.....Abou the recent quote about fans having fun with theories and no one getting quite there even though many people have been close...I don't think she was talking about Romance...I think she changed and started telling about the main plot of the series....

Mad Eye Mike
June 23rd, 2003, 11:07 pm
I'll just say this, I'm glad the romantic aspects of the story in OotP was kept to a bare minimum and not as - I feel - dominating as it was in GoF.

Jedi Potter
June 23rd, 2003, 11:16 pm
About that Katie Couric interview she went on to say something like I think its more Ron and Hermoine. Not sure what ever that means but it makes me lean more towards R/Hr for now I personally think that is the way it is going.

hermownninny
June 23rd, 2003, 11:19 pm
And about the "Poor Ginny" commentary JKR said before in an interview, well, now we know why...Poor Ginny nothing....she has had more boyfriends in just one year than Cho....it's like she is very popular with the younger people.....Poor Ginny, yeah right...

lonewulf
June 23rd, 2003, 11:20 pm
Great post everyone,...i wish/hope mugglenet creates a poll that asks the question of which ship you belong too. I am curious to see which has the bigger following. They might have in the past (im relativly new to m.net) but another one is in order since book 5. I agree with fleur on JK is in a tight spot on what direction to go in for the next books. I truly hope Harry and Herm get together as this series is about Harrys not Rons life. And, all the things he has been through only Hermione can relate to him. I am still struck by the times JK singles..or doubles out H/Hr for things. Maybe this is my bias torwards Hr/H?

R/Hr:....I still see Ron in love with Hermione for the many quotes from above..one unmentioned is the playful/flirting little argument after the first D.A meeting about how Ron got her one time. Grrr. Still, though I think the key is Hermione oviously. I feel that she has feelings for Harry but is in a most difficult postion. She cannot show her feelings. 1. She wants to concentrate on school. 2 She knows Harry does not like her or at least probably thinks that. 3.. and most important I think she knows Rons likes her and does not want to tear up the friendship. Think about it. What are her options? I feel she likes Harry but values the trio above all. At a time when war has begun, she does/will not want to break up the friendship. Hermione is so far more mature on the whole relationship thing and must realize Rons hints and actions just as we the readers do. She knows and is not returning them, but is being nice about it as Ron is one of her best friends and is trying to simply be his friend. One thing though is that during all Harry and Hermiones little "talks" it looks like Harry would have just once asked Hermione somthing about who she likes or anything about her feelings. One last question, is do you think Harry realizes that Ron likes Hermione? Does he just not want to interfere by talking about it, as he does not want to intrude??? So many questions so much time before book 6....please JK dont make me waitn another 2.9years

hermownninny
June 23rd, 2003, 11:26 pm
. 2 She knows Harry does not like her or at least probably thinks that.

Excellent point lonewulf .

As I said before....I found totally unnecessary when Hermione told Harry that he should have told Cho how ugly he found her...It's as if she was sure that Harry respected her b/c she is intelligent and would never look at her as anything else b/c he likes beautiful and popular girls like Cho...

muziklover
June 23rd, 2003, 11:26 pm
I'll add this to my earlier post though I can't confirm if it's real
as I didn't get to watch the interview on TV.

Post from an IMDB member (June 20, 2003):

>Just saw JK Rowling interview on Dateline tonight
>Possible spoiler:
>She FLAT OUT deny the possibility of Harry and
>Hermione. She said it's going to be Ron & Hermione,
>there're always more tension between them anyway.

Amadeus
June 23rd, 2003, 11:32 pm
I am not a supporter of Ron/Hermione so I was okay with their lukewarm relationship..

I didn't see Ginny/Dean Thomas coming up, but that wasn't one of the major ones so I guess it didn't have a lot of foreshadowing.

I was not expecting Harry/Ginny.. It doesn't seem right

I was kind of expecting Harry/Cho which didn't really happen.

I think JK needs to be a little more realistic about the boarding school situation..

Relationship in boarding schools tend to be more 'intimate' and 'deeper' than what was described in the books... at the age of 15 that is..(I hope I am not bending any of the forum rules by saying this.. I am trying to word it in a most 'mild' way as much as possible..)

introduction of new character, especially for a relationship(or a potential relationship) with one of the main characters is too sudden, especially when the book is that dark and serious..

and I think love is possible at that age, not just crush, since I have experienced it myself.

I don't think Harry/Hermione will ever happen.

they are too friendly with each other to have something more than that.

Max
June 23rd, 2003, 11:36 pm
Well, muziklover, let me comment on those quotes which may, perhaps, hint on a certain relationship. Personally, I don't usually put my money on interviews, as Rowling is quite often rather cryptic, but I'll give a few of those my best shot.

Question: Does Hermione like Ron as more than a friend?
JKR: "The answer to that is in Goblet of Fire!"

I think that this has been discussed before in the previous Love Thread in the Great Hall, but I'll just say it again: In GoF, Hermione doesn't truly show any feelings for Ron. Most of their fights have just been disagreements -- clashing personalities, but Hermione also shouts because sometimes, Ron just becomes so insensitive. Rowling's really left us in the dark about that one.

From Barnes and Noble Chat (Oct 20, 2000):
Question: Is it just me, or was something going on between Ron and Hermione during the last half of Goblet of Fire? I love your books, by the way, and two of them I've read straight through cover to cover in under 24 hours.
JKR: "Well done on the reading speed! yes, something's "going on," but Ron doesn't realize it yet. Typical boy."

This also has been discussed before. JK said that there's something "going on", so to speak, and lots of people think that this is a clear indicator of R/Hr, but couldn't she mean -- just as easily -- that Ron likes Hermione, meaning a one-sided relationship, only that he doesn't realize it yet?

From Oct 1999 National Press Club Author's Luncheon
Question: Do Harry and Hermione have a date?
JKR. "No. They're very platonic friends. But I won't answer for anyone else! Nudge nudge, wink wink"

Notice that this interview was done for years ago, in 1999, which means the GoF/PoA period. She was most probably referring to those two books.

That's all, for now, but two scenes that I find intriguing in OotP is the scene where Hermione thinks that Harry was made a prefect -- being happy al of a sudden and then quickly being put out -- and the fighting scene at the end of the book.

lonewulf
June 23rd, 2003, 11:37 pm
...and for those who have said that the interview says H/Hr is not going to happen....um..what interview did you read?! Here is all that was said

Couric: “Any snogging with Hermione?”
Rowling: “Harry and Hermione! Do you think so?”

Do you think JK is going to say its not going to happen even if it wasnt???? No, she is a master at hints, and is simply dodgeing the question (rightly so i might add). And the quote from two years ago, as sirius pointed out directly spoken to mean the present time period. Not in the future. We are left with only the books to base our opinions on, JK has made that clear.

Pansy
June 23rd, 2003, 11:38 pm
Originally posted by hermownninny (original post (http://www.cosforums.com/a/showthread.php?postid=390197#post390197))
WOW...Thanks.....But I still think she is very mysterious about it.....Abou the recent quote about fans having fun with theories and no one getting quite there even though many people have been close...I don't think she was talking about Romance...I think she changed and started telling about the main plot of the series....

I agree, I think she wasn't talking about the romance with that one. HOwever, I think its great she is reading the sites with all of our theories. Perhaps the "snogging" with Hermione was only for this book.

by lonewulf: I truly hope Harry and Herm get together as this series is about Harrys not Rons life.

Well precisely.... the books are about Harry's life and are given from Harry's POV, so then, why you ask should JKR make r/hr any more obvious to the reader? I think she has made r/hr more obvious to the reader - like I said earlier - we see Harry getting annoyed with their constant bickering... and to me, his annoyance was sorta hinting that there was more to their feelings than just bickering.

So, are you saying HErmione shouldnt' end up with Ron because the books are only supposed to be about Harry?

Mad Eye Mike
June 23rd, 2003, 11:41 pm
lonewulf - I completely agree with you saying Hermione values the trio more than anything. If she does like Harry and knows Ron likes her, she'll do whatever it takes to keep them a solid group as opposed to risk alienating Ron and losing the trio.

Hermione was the only one who reminded Harry and Ron of the Sorting Hats song that unity is key in getting through tough ordeals and there's no tougher time than right now. If she has personal feelings, she would not allow them to get in the way.

Hermione has always been the kind of character to put the needs of the many, over the needs of the few...or the one.

Jedi Potter
June 23rd, 2003, 11:43 pm
But in that Dateline interview there was another line. I saw the interview she said something like I think its more Ron and Hermoine. That is what I think people are referering to.

jordmundt6
June 23rd, 2003, 11:48 pm
Okay, I almost felt sorry for Ron after Draco started his posse and Slytherin House on that chant thing. But he's been extraordinarily shielded and lucky. With the hand he was dealt he's been mostly getting by on a bluff. He owes the house a lot. I hope they come to collect in Book 6. A Ron/Hermione pairing would absolutely sicken me beyond belief. Even beyond the complete revulsion I had for Cho because of her behavior in OotP. (And we're going back to '99 when PoA was released? for our R/Hr support are we? Groan. A lot has changed since then). If Ron does get Hermione he will have gotten his third and most precious gift totally beyond anything he could ever deserve or appreciate. He was made Prefect because Dumbledore knew he'd have to lower the boom on Harry soon and figured that a Prefect's responsibilities constituted one thing that was, in fact, trivial that he could spare Harry, even if Harry had earned them. Ron got the Keeper's postion because of his brothers' reputation (though his last game did show that he has promise). If he actually does end up with Hermione it certainly will be in spite of his very best efforts to put her off.

Sorry, but the windfalls that Ron got in the last book and potential the greatest windfall in history are just driving me up a tree. I apologize to all R/Hr shippers.

Sarmi
June 23rd, 2003, 11:49 pm
Rowling did say that "Ron & Hermione...they have more of that tension"

I'm just paraphrasing, so don't bite my head off.

Now, y'all realize that JKR contradicted herself here. Where was there tension between Ron & Hermione in OotP???????

Granted JKR is human, she can forget things. She hadn't read over or gone over OotP in about six months, plus she's currently working on Book 6, and with all of her plots in her head. She's bound to just forget something.

So, can anyone point to me where the R/Hr tension is in OotP? Because frankly, I don't see it.

See y'all!

Sarmi

Hawk 92
June 23rd, 2003, 11:52 pm
But in that Dateline interview there was another line. I saw the interview she said something like I think its more Ron and Hermoine. That is what I think people are referering to.

I looked at the Dateline NBC transcript and I didn't see this line.

Now I'm confused and so I'm not double posting here I was kind of hoping a Prof or Mod could point me in the right direction. In the Predictions forum there is the who will fall in love with who thread. I thought that this was the new version of the old love thread. I thought that this forum was for the romances that happened already, which would be

Harry-Cho
Ginny-Michael
Ginny- Dean

Just so I'm not sending posts and resending posts so it looks like I'm boosting my year. Could someone point me in the right direction.
:??:

Thanks in advance. :)

Springy
June 23rd, 2003, 11:54 pm
jordmundt6, thats is a bit unfair on Ron's behalf. He got prefect, ok, but we all know that Harry should have been but well done to Ron anyway. And also the quidditch, he deserves it. He was the best out of the rest who came up for the Job as a keeper. What lack in Ron was confidence, and all he needed was a great kick up the back side to tell himself that he was good. Also, you forgot one thing, Ron wants to become Head Boy.

Mr Ollivander 382
June 24th, 2003, 12:00 am
a bit off topic .... :)

has any one noticed what happened to Harry and Ron when they tried to get to the girls dorms to speak to Hermione ........... :D

that was priceless , I want to see it on screen and I want to see it NOW ......... :D:D:D

Pansy
June 24th, 2003, 12:15 am
Originally posted by jordmundt6 (original post (http://www.cosforums.com/a/showthread.php?postid=390344#post390344))
Sorry, but the windfalls that Ron got in the last book and potential the greatest windfall in history are just driving me up a tree. I apologize to all R/Hr shippers.

Goodness, that was quite an opinion. Thank you for the apology to the r/hr shippers, but I think you need to get past your personal feelings for this fictional character - and he is just a fictional character just as are Harry and Hermione.

I'm just curious, putting aside all ships, as to how you can hate Ron so much when he is clearly so loyal and supportive of Harry? Look at all he and his family have done for the poor boy?

Gee, no wonder the Love Threads kept getting closed.
:(

Mad Eye Mike
June 24th, 2003, 12:16 am
jordmundt6 - I completely agree with your points about how Ron's character was treated in OotP. I felt the exact same way as I was also bothered by how he was seemingly 'given' things as opposed to truly earning them.

Rowena Ravenclaw
June 24th, 2003, 12:22 am
Okay, I got about halfway through the thread and couldn't restrain myself any longer, so forgive me if I repeat anything.

What really surprised me about the romance in this book was how much has still been left unresolved (silly, I know--I just spent too much time thinking about it, I guess). Other than Harry/Cho, it's impossible to say for certain what's going to happen with whom.

And yet...and yet....

For someone who's allegedly been nursing a crush on Harry, Hermione was awfully supportive during his abortive relationship with Cho. Clueless as Harry is about women, I can't help but think that if Rowling had wanted to hint at some regret there, she'd have found a way.

And I still don't see a lot of evidence of any deeper emotional connection than friendship between the two of them. Compare the way Harry reacts to her analysis of his "save-the-day complex" with his conversation about death with Luna, or what it's like to be possessed by Voldemort by Ginny. All three concern extremely personal subjects to Harry, but while Ginny manages to reassure him, and Luna gives him something to think about, Hermione just rubs him the wrong way. Granted, it doesn't take a whole lot to rub Harry the wrong way in this book, but I think if anything's going to happen between Harry and Hermione, it'll take a rather large epiphany in the next book.

Also, was anyone else counting the number of times Hermione was compared to Mrs. Weasley? Bit Oedipal, no?

Meanwhile, there's Ginny. Turns out not only does she talk, she's got a healthy disrespect for rules which get in the way, and a frame of reference for what Harry's going through (I just loved her response when he told her he'd forgotten about the Riddle possession incident). And she's good at Quidditch. While I do like the idea of her having a different guy every few months, Harry/Ginny no longer seems like such a white knight/damsel in distress dynamic, and that's definitely a good thing.

And then there's Luna. That crush on Ron's not going to last, but who's she going to turn to next? I don't think we know enough about her to judge whether that conversation about her mother with Harry indicates an emotional bond in other areas, but based on what we do know, the idea bothers me. Then again, I'd have said something similar if you'd asked me about Ginny back at the beginning of the series. Too bad we've only got a couple of books to get used to the new girl.

GilyAnn
June 24th, 2003, 12:26 am
Please forgive me for not reading any of the pages.

H/Hr - I'm sorry but I fail to see this ship coming thru. Hermione is obviously not atracted to Harry and viceversa. They have what I expected a nice friendship but I don't see nothing else. And there was the JKR interview were she completly denied this pair. I taped it and her face and eyes said it all. She really didn't think they are suited. It was on her there. If it was weird hearing when she said they were platonic it was creepy watching it. They way she shrugged her face.

H/C - Oh boy do this girl annoyed me! Oh my god! I was sooooo happy that Harry not only stop liking her but also answered her. She got on my nerves so fast.

R/Hr - It happend what I expected. They have becoming better friends. But it will take them some time to come toguether since it's obvious that Ron fears rejection. So I'm not expecting a date soon. Hermione likes Ron and Ron likes Hermione. They are giving each other signals but Ron obviously won't risk Hermione friendship by asking her out. The pair needed to grow up, Ron to mature and Hermione to loosen up. So I think we are going well. I loved it that Harry didn't make prefect and Ron did. I cried like a baby and wanted to smack Harry at some point in here but I like that part.

N/L Neville/luna - I laughed so hard at this. I thought it was cute the way the met.

G/M - Poor guy couldn't even hex the girl. Obviously it looked like she was too much for him. No wonder she ditch him.

G/D - This could be a plot line or it could be a joke. It sounded more like a way to **** Ron off than a statement. Since Ginny knows by now probably his reaction to Michael. I think it would be fun if she said to bother him. But it could also be a plot line nothing worst than that for Harry.

H/G - I'm so happy about this. All I have to say that I though it was great and it clearly show that this way the route. Specially now that Ginny is going to be in the Quidditch team with Harry next year.

I don't think I forgot anyone. Did I? Ok I'm off! I loved OoP specially for H/G

Gily Ann

skippyboo
June 24th, 2003, 2:16 am
My first post ever, hi everybody.

Hr/R versus Hr/H : All the emotions are on the side of Ron and Hermione. She doesn't get jealous of Harry's goo-goo eyes for Cho. He doesn't get upset about Victor. Ron starts out in Book 1, disliking her. Book 2, its Ron who goes after Draco after calling her a Mudblood. He eats snails for her. There's emotion all over Book 4 from both Ron & Hermione. Look at the Yule Ball scenes. Ron see Hermione as a girl for the first time. She ****** that he didn't ask her until the last moment. They fight about Victor. Page chapter 23, page 432 US edition.

Quote " Next time there's a ball, ask me before someone else does, and not as a last resort!"

In Book 5, Ron and Hermione's relationship is much calmer. They are more comfortable together which they have to be to get together. Hermione is more mature than the boys when comes to relationships. She can she why Cho got upset while Harry was clueless and Ron is even worse than Harry. We have Ron giving her perfume. Plus the fact that she was staying with the Weasley in the summer at all.

As for Harry, now that he has gotten over Cho. I don't see Harry hooking up with any one. He nows knows that its him or Voldy. His destiny will become his focus until its decide.

I like Ginny & Neville. I loved the development that both characters get in the new book.

Luna? I'm waiting to see if she's a one book wonder.

Ulta
June 24th, 2003, 2:31 am
This may add some insight into Hermione's feelings:

OOtP, American Hardcover, pg 299 - Percy and Padfoot

"Come on, we've got to get this finished some time before dawn," he said briskly to Harry, pulling Professor Sinistra's essay back toward him.
Hermione was looking at Ron with an odd expression on her face."

By the way, I liked the way romance was handled in the books. It did not distract from the story, and also allowed us to see some of te characters in a different light.

AggroSkater99
June 24th, 2003, 2:34 am
ok, for some weird reason im not able to post. ill try this again.

AggroSkater99
June 24th, 2003, 2:41 am
oh, NOW it works. anyway, to my point.

ok, im confused as to why, number 1, yall dont see H/H as a possibility anymore, and 2, why you are not backing these statements up. im confused!

Ok, now this quote. page 701 american edition, ch. grawp.
"But why does he have to make life so difficult for himself- for us?

im a bit interesting in that us.

and in regards to JKR's quote in repsonse to the interviews question on H and H snogging, that DOES NOT mean JKR said, oh they wont get together! it was surprise at the statement, but then it was followed by, You think so? once again, not a straight answer.

in my opinion, we are no further from book 5 than we were from 4.

newpotterfan03
June 24th, 2003, 2:46 am
OMG!!!

I WAS expecting MORE Ron/Hermione especially since on the American Dateline show J.K.R. told Katie when asked a question about Harry and Hermione going on a date, something like, "Oh, you really think so? No, RON and HERMIONE, I would say, there's more THERE!!! But there wasn't anything there at all!!! And as an adult fan of the books I'm glad to see it was kept as an adolescent love with Harry and Cho for the younger readers (as someone sated earlier on reply), but I knew it wouldn't work out. It sure looked like she was just trying to get close to Cedric through Harry, at least to me.

"Wit beyond measure is a man's greatest treasure"~~Luna Lovegood

AggroSkater99
June 24th, 2003, 2:49 am
ok, from the page 299 post. who said it was romantic? she could be surprised at rons will to do homework after the letter he got. or maybe she was just plain surprised that he bothered to try and do his homework at all. though i wont deny that both boys seem EXTREMELY greatful... can you say love triangle? possible.

BuffPatronus
June 24th, 2003, 2:58 am
Hey, first time poster, here's my thoughts:

Any love subplots involving Harry are dead until book 7. For some reason, I see him being to caught up in figuring out how to deal with Voldemort than chasing girls. There's also the fact that he feels deeply, deeply responsible for Sirius, someone he loved dearly. Anybody who will try to get close to him will get pushed away. However, somebody's gonna break down that wall, but who?

Ginny - Most likely, probably turning into the most attractive of Harry's girls, and the next one Harry will probably notice (i do see one more school dance in hogwarts' future)

Hermionie - She's in the friend pile, which counts heavily against her, but i can see a romantic string going here.

Luna - No. i think she dies next book.

Cho - This one's over. Cho has too many issues (Harry's no straight shooter either at this point) and it was probably never meant to be. It was just a crush, nothing more.

chimera
June 24th, 2003, 3:00 am
Here's a run-down:

Harry/Ginny- Yay!! Ginny became more of an outspoken character in this book, and she and Harry seem a good match. However, neither seem interested at this point.

Ginny/Dean- I didn't see this one coming. Dean became more interesting in this book, and Ginny and Dean would be a good couple. Still, so would Harry/Ginny.

Harry/Hermione- I noticed the first hints of this ship in OotP (the prefect scene with Harry and Ron, for example). However, I really hope it doesn't happen. Or I might be forced to commit suicide. Seriously.

Hermione/Ron- What happened to the "romantic tension" between them in GOF? There's barely a hint of it in OoTP, while it used to be obvious. I'm still an avid Hermione/Ron shipper, but hopefully there will be more evidence in future books. I was disappointed that while Harry matured in OoTP, Ron did not... he just seemed to get more superficial. Poor Ron, J.K. practically told us he wasn't first pick for the prefect position, but a default. And that chant.. I could have strangled Malfoy.

Draco/Ginny- Speaking of Draco, he's only gotten stupider in this book. Here I was thinking "house unity" = insight into Slytherins, but apparently Draco is still a bully who's afraid of the dark. Therefore, I no longer see Draco/Ginny as a plausible ship, and Ginny deserves better.

Cho/Harry- Hormones. As I've been saying for ages, not a good couple. Yuck.

Bill/Fleur- I supported this small ship during these three long years, and apparently so did J.K. Goodie!

Ginny/Neville- Also a good match. I support both Ginny/Dean, Ginny/Harry and Ginny/Neville. I absolutely loved how Neville kicked butt at the end of OoTP.

Luna/Ron- Luna thinks he's funny (the baboon-butt thing) but does that mean she likes him? No idea.

Luna/Harry- No way.

:welcome: skippyboo! I'm new here too. And that rhymed. ;)

Ecthelion
June 24th, 2003, 3:09 am
Well, here's my overview of things:

Harry and Cho: Actually I really do think that cho liked Harry, and Harry liked Cho, but Harry was confused as to what Cho's real motives were. Was she with him to talk about Cedric, to reconcile herself, or to really have a romantic relationship just with him? I think if she could've clearly stated which point she was taking...and not gone both ways but commited to one of them in the end, they might have been together much much longer, friends or something more intimate. By the way, What do you think Cho's real motives were? Was she for real?

Ron and Hermione: Well, I have to say, as an H/hr person, even I expected a little more hints concerning thier little bout in the fourth book. But as a suprise, I found hardly any. I think their petty fights were subdued by I think the only person who could have done so, Harry. Harry's trouble's were nothing like theirs so I think they got together and made a noticeable effort in stopping themselves. However, I just don't see the romantic tension that was vaguely apparent in the fourth book. The only part that comes close is the part where Harry got his first kiss and Ron asked if he really was that bad a kisser, and Hermione said "of course he isn't", thereupon Ron added sharply "how do you know". That's it. Maybe I'm missing something but I just don't see it, then again this book is about Harry and we may have been missing what they were doing, but this would've come apparent. Anybody else see any forward motions to the R/Hr? Because I didn't.

Harry and Hermione: This of course, on a quick read through of the book is relatively non-existant. However, when you get to the point of noticing the little stuff you see things. Such as, do you think Hermione was jealous? Naturally being the mature and caring person she is, she wouldn't bring it forthright onto Harry but would be sort of non-chalant towards His whole Cho thing. Think about it, whenever cho was particularily in Harry's mind, who brought the subject up...Hermione. Who asked him whether they had kissed, in a buisness-like manner (said that in the book)...Hermione. Also, she brought up the topic of what he was going to do with her. To me it sounds as if she was, well, interested in how far he is going along with Cho, although she wouldn't outwardly admit it, out of respect for Harry. Whether or not if forebodes a future romance I don't know, but I think those circumstances are suspicious. Also because at one point in every (i think) arguement Harry had with Cho, Hermione had rised up in the context somewhere or another, spoken or unspoken. Just seems a bit suspicious.

NOTE: Anybody else finding browsing this forum extremely slow? But not on any other internet place?

Ulta
June 24th, 2003, 3:14 am
quote:

who said it was romantic? she could be surprised at rons will to do homework after the letter he got. or maybe she was just plain surprised that he bothered to try and do his homework at all.

That could be true. This may not have been romantic. However, looking at what led up to the "odd" look, ( Ron just received the letter from Percy) IMHO, Hermione was seeing Ron in a new light.
Now, as far as not seeing H/Hr as a possibility, I don't agree to that. Could H/Hr end up together? Sure. Could R/Hr? I can see that happening also. H/G, R/L, N/G? No problem.
JK handled the romance very well this time. I thought the kiss between Harry and Cho was hilarious, and I was doing this :rotfl: afterwards. Ginny turned out to be a big surprise. I was wondering why she was more relaxed around Harry and we found out why.

chrissy2crazy
June 24th, 2003, 3:20 am
Well for me, a H/C temporary pairing really took me by suprise!! I was sure Ginny would go eventually with Harry...... BUT RON THINKS THAT HARRY SHOULD GO WITH GINNY! OMG OMG!!!!!!! hahaha that's why Ron was mad about Ginny having boyfriends other than Harry - when saying "You should make better choices in boyfriends!" or something like that, he shot a suggestive look at Harry... !!!!!! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: but anyway...

And the scary thing is, almost nothing happened between Ron and Hermione during this book (unless I missed it)! Are they like James and Lily, and finally hook up in their 7th year? Hmmmm but I hope that a R/Herm relationship occurs!!!

I am soooo happy!!!!!! (I finished it at exactly 1:33 PM on June 22, 2003! Hehehehehe!)

Chrissy :) :p

Charmed
June 24th, 2003, 3:31 am
I was dissapointed to say the least the way Harry's relationship turned out to be like with Cho. I'm glad that they were never really together, they just shared that one kiss. To be honest the more I got to know Cho the less I liked her.
As I was reading about Luna the immediate thought that sprung into my mind was that something may develop between her and Ron.
Hermione and Ron-the ongoing saga. Perhaps they will get together at the end of the series. I noticed straight away that Ron seemed to appreciate his kiss on the cheek from Hermione and the Christmas gift-perfume! Perhaps there is something abrewing!

sone
June 24th, 2003, 3:40 am
I find it odd that this was the second straight book where Hermione and Harry are brought up again to
someone else's displeasure. Viktor, jealous of Harry and now Cho, jealous of Hermione. They both (Viktor and Cho)
get the idea that they are not more important to them. Personally, I think if Harry and Hermione grew any closer, you would think they
be attached at the hip.

AggroSkater99
June 24th, 2003, 4:11 am
hehehe. attached at the hip. well its looking like that and... WAIT! if they were attacked at the hip like that, than wouldnt they look like a couple?

hehehe. just playing with yall. and yes, Ecthelion, i am having severe trouble even accessing the sites.

Ok, now to another point i thought of while i was sick on the couch.

What WAS chos purpose? in the perspective of an author, that is. IMO, it shows two things.

1. Harries misunderstanding with girlls

and 2. Harries feelings for hermione.

These two reasons support eachother in a very sneaky way. first off, harry does not understand women at all. you dont bring your girlfriend to a romantic place, adn then say, "lets see hermione!".

for number two, to me it shows harries subconcious, at least at the moment, feelings for hermione. Its most perfectly shown when cho confronted him about her friend that blabed on the D.A. Harry says i thought it was a great idea (in relation to hermiones jynx) then cho snaps back with, "well of course it was made by brilliant hermione!" hmmmmm. (this also shows how hermione is more important to him than Cho, same with victor. good job on that sone)

But how do these intertwine? Harry is blatently shown his feelings to hermione, but doesnt get it because he doesnt understand women! and honestly, who does... JUST KIDDING! *sheilds face with arms as all the women on the form beat me with cyber canes*

On a slightly lesser note before i wrap this up, james didnt iscover romance till 7th year. will this hold true with harry? well i dnot want it to! hehehe. im just an impatient bigot...

MadMagic
June 24th, 2003, 4:15 am
I was a little dissapointed with the "romance" in OotP. Not that I really wanted full fledged romances, but I really would have liked for Ron and Hermione to quit bickering all the time and realize that they have feelings for each other. When Hermione kissed him before the Quidditch match I thought for sure that was going to lead to something, but it didn't. I guess I will just have to wait.

And I wasn't nearly as pset with the Cho/Harry situation as I thought I would be. I guess she isn't so bad. She is just a confused girl. I don't think that they have a future though, which is fine with me.

chimera
June 24th, 2003, 4:18 am
Charmed-

Hermione and Ron-the ongoing saga. Perhaps they will get together at the end of the series. I noticed straight away that Ron seemed to appreciate his kiss on the cheek from Hermione and the Christmas gift-perfume! Perhaps there is something abrewing!

Hermione---Ron-kiss-on-cheek!?? OMG, I missed that!! What page?

Also, I forgot to mention the Snape/Lily possible romance. Don't you think Snape might like Lily a bit after the James incident, which would hieghten his dislike of Potter?

Quasi_EviL
June 24th, 2003, 4:28 am
I agree MadMagic! After the kiss before the Quidditch match, I thought at least something would happen between Ron and Hermione...but I'm convinced that they'll end up together at one point or another. I mean, Ron could have given Hermione a scarf or a book or Chocolate Frogs for Christmas, but he went to the trouble of getting her perfume.

jordmundt6
June 24th, 2003, 4:33 am
But notice now that all the emotion is being expressed by him. Hermione isn't interested. Uh-oh. Ron woke up a year too late. Sorry Ron...well, actuallly I'm not.

Sirius83
June 24th, 2003, 4:38 am
With regards to the kiss, i think we should all remember things are on equal footing now - Hermione kissed Harry goodbye at the end of GOF. We must now wonder:

1) Were they both platonic?
2) Does Hermione actually like both boys?
3) Both platonic, but JKR is using one as imagery?

My vote is #3 in support of the GOF kiss, but i know several people will see it in support of the OOTP kiss. Hermione is quite grown up as compared to the last book - all the characters have changed a good deal...is a good luck kiss as big a deal now as it once was?

JKR really messed with our heads in this book...neither ship has been set in stone yet, and neither has been chucked out the window.

lonewulf
June 24th, 2003, 4:43 am
Thank you Jordmundt6.....Its is all Ron! Hermione is simply not returning the hints. When talking to Harry you see that she (a girl) has a deep understanding of the whole Girlfriend/Bf relationship thing going. She as well as us the readers knows that Ron likes her. That is ovious. Now, knowing that dont you think that if she has any thoughts of the same for Ron she would return all these hints back. But she doesnt. As far as the references to Mrs Weasly only one pushes you to think anything R/Hr. The one where where she is refered to like Mrs Weasly talking to Mr. Weasly. The rest, and i think there is only 1 or 2 references are simply when shes acting motherly or over protective. Some earlier said they would commit suicide if Harry got together with Hermione...i see that the feeling runs on both sides. I feel the same if the R/Hr ship sails. Its sad i guess, but if that happens it will actually take away from the series a bit for me. Back on track with this thread, i really thought JK should have put more romance into.....especially after GoF!

MadMagic
June 24th, 2003, 4:44 am
No they haven't. But I am thoroughly convinced that it will be Ron and Hermione. All the arguing they do has just convinced me that they like each other. Also Ron's obvious jealousy of Krum, and Hermione seems like she would be quite willing to give up Krum if Ron ever realized she was a girl. So frustrating.

I am such an bad reader for details. I totally missed the perfume for christmas. What exactly am I paying attention to while reading?

jimmy06
June 24th, 2003, 4:44 am
I think we all expected too much out of our little lovebirds. As most of us being teenages, we all know how out feelings about girls/guys are. We go throught many in schoolyear...and it looks like JK is doing the same! At first thought that Harry and Cho were a go for eachother, but then when she kept talking about Cedric...we all knew it wouldn't work anyways. I actually think that Cho and Harry will have another go at it sometime in the furute(Harry can't deny the fact that he is greatly attracted to her). ANd Ginny! Boy i never would've thought that shy little Ginny Weasley would've gone through two guys...and one being someone that sleeps in the same room as Ron!

But back to Harry, it said that James never started to date Lily until their 7th year, so that's what i think will happen to Harry too

whizbang121
June 24th, 2003, 4:59 am
Okay, I'll probably regret this but, I'm going on record for Ron and Hermione. I think she's just waiting for him to grow up a bit. She didn't like his reacton to Fleur and he is unabashedly jealous of Viktor. And then, there's Luna. Does she seem attracted to Ron? ( I only read the last page or two.. Ouch!)

As for Harry, I don't think he's met Miss Right, yet. JKR may still have some new characters for us.

Stallion1
June 24th, 2003, 5:04 am
Oh i am deffintily with you on that becides they know they like eachother plus harry has voldemort on his mind hehehe and i dont think he will go back for cho b/c thats his dead friends woman and he knows not to go for her so its makes me wounder why he went for her anway but i know he likes he but still.

sone
June 24th, 2003, 5:12 am
"When Hermione kissed him before the Quidditch match I thought for sure that was going to lead to something, but it didn't."

Why? It did not lead to anything between Harry and Hermione (yet). It is Ron's reaction that made that kiss significant. Which should not at all be surprising because we all know he likes Hermione. Just has not been able to say it yet. jordmundt6 is right, all the emotion is being expressed by Ron.

BTW Chimera, it was page 404.

Rowena Ravenclaw
June 24th, 2003, 5:15 am
Originally posted by chimera (original post (http://www.cosforums.com/a/showthread.php?postid=390860#post390860))
Also, I forgot to mention the Snape/Lily possible romance. Don't you think Snape might like Lily a bit after the James incident, which would hieghten his dislike of Potter?

I don't think so. Lily wasn't defending Snape because she was fond of him; she was doing it because she disliked James and felt sorry for him. Snape doesn't strike me as the type to mistake pity for affection. (In fact, that might heighten his dislike of Harry--he focuses on Harry's alleged arrogance, but he may equally hate the thought Harry might pity him.)

The Lily/James thing does seem like it might have implications for current relationships, but that's probably a topic for the predictions thread.

Grace Granger
aggro, in regards to James discovering romance in 7th year. He at least discovered he had feelings for someone who coincidentally winded up being his soulmate. Will we say the same for Harry? I don't know. It seems James was truly hung up on Lily for a long time and was trying to get her attention and it, obviously, wasn't working. Harry is already going to his 6th year and the only person he's shown any interesting in is an emotional nutcase by the name of Cho Chang. You know, I don't think Harry realized that the L.E. James was writing was his mother's initials. Does Harry know his mother's maiden name?

Anyhow, to continue my post on SHIPping. It may not make sense and I may talk too much, but bear with me please:

Ron/Hermione: I'd like to state for the record that I am an H/Hr'er and I was expecting for something to happen between Ron and Hermione. It was a bit disappointing to say the least. The "tension" that was in GoF totally dissipated in OoP. They did argue as they normally did over stupid things, but in general Ron controlled his temperament (when I thought he wouldn't.) He was even teasing Hermione! YES! I finally see the teasing that R/Hr'ers claim are present in previous books, but which I never saw and never will. Yet it is present in OoP. :p The thing is, it's only Ron doing the teasing.

It is extremely obvious that Ron likes Hermione. JKR showed us this when he touched his cheek after Hermione gave him a kiss, his little outbursts of jealousy and his Christmas present. I don't know if Harry realizes Ron's feelings for Hermione. If he hasn't then Hermione is wrong, Harry is more clueless, or equally so, than Ron.

I don't think Hermione has feelings for Ron.

Harry/Hermione: Again I'm an H/Hr, so I was seeing signs left, right, upside down, inside and out! ;) I wasn't expecting to see H/Hr, but I was expecting signs and JKR practically filled half of the book with them. I, honestly, love the way JKR wrote Harry and Hermione's interactions (although they both got on my nerves!) There is definitely a bond there that will never be broken. It is obvious that Hermione cares about Harry's safety. It is obvious that Harry is finally openly, without interruption, admiring Hermione's intelligence and then some. I loved it! I, also, loved how he would think a lot about her. I dare say that this book had more H/Hr than H/C. Every other minute it was Hermione this Hermione that, okay I'm exaggerating, every other chapter there was always some drama with Hermione, whether it'd be an argument or not.

In this book, Harry and Hermione had more tension than Ron and Hermione in PoA when they were arguing about their pets. Harry and Hermione's arguments were at a more mature level. I loved this tension that Harry and Hermione had. I liked their arguments because it was about serious situations, about Harry's life. Which bears in mind the quote JKR says about Hermione: Harry needs her, badly. Or something like that. Harry does and it was proven in OoP. Hermione was by Harry's side all the time.

I think that their feelings are subconscious. Though, Hermione's curiosity about Harry and Cho made me think that perhaps she already has started to develop feelings for him and has recognized it, but isn't dwelling on it because she doesn't think he likes her.

A poster, cannot remember whom sorry, wrote something along the lines of Harry having a better connection with Ginny due to the fact that she understands what he feels like being possessed by Voldemort (which really isn't the same kind of possession now that I think about it because Harry was aware, but she wasn't) and a connection with Luna due to her experiencing death. That is true and possible, but in the end he always runs to Ron and Hermione, not Luna or Ginny.

I'd like to point out that I got a bit confused at the end, when the Dursleys were "outnumberd 2 to 1" (P. 868 USA Paperback Chapter 38 The Second War Begins.) I could have sworn that that only meant that Lupin, Moody, Tonks, Mr. Weasley, Harry and Hermione were confronting the Dursleys. But JKR seems to have miscalculated because Ron and Mrs. Weasley were there, as well. Anyhow, my point is is that before writing Mrs. Weasley and Ron's goodbye to Harry, I had found it quite interesting that JKR tells us that Hermione disengages from the hug she is receiving from her mother to go be at Harry's side. And we don't get a mention of Ron. It probably means nothing, just as the kiss didn't "mean" anything in GoF.

My last thought: I was actually hoping for JKR to write in Harry's a kiss. She just left it at Harry looking at the tear drops on her lashes. I wanted to actually read about Harry's emotions. I think I've been spoiled by fanfic. :(

What's the deal with Hermione and Krum?

lonewulf
If Harry has not found miss-right then i hope he stay single. If she just throws a new character in, and puts her with Harry it will not be right. I mean, this new character will not be able to relate to almost anything Harry does. The only possible choices are Hemione, and Ginny.
Harry and Ginny, man i just dont they go good together. On the outside they seem almost compatible. (seekers, voldie conect) but just dont see Harry becoming interested in her more than a friend. Im just mad that I/we are no closer to any ship than we were before. I expected to have to grit my teeth and force myself to read this book as Ron and Hermione got together in this book, but while the fact that they diddnt is good, its almost just as bad that its still at square one on which ship will sail. >.........Has JK said anywhere that she wont take another 3 stinking years for book 6? .....and where was the yule ball?????

sone
June 24th, 2003, 5:21 am
That is also another thing that is obvious. Luna likes Ron. What do you think she was doing with that lion on her head?

Muffykins
June 24th, 2003, 5:26 am
I always knew that Cho Chang was going to end up being more of a pain for Harry than anything actually meaningful.
Nothing really amounted to their short-lived ‘relationship’ (if you could even call it that) besides leaving Harry confused, irritated, somewhat hurt and put out about girls in general (Hermoine not-withstanding.)
And, I sort of wish Harry’s first kiss would have turned out better – he was so thrown by Cho’s crying that he didn’t seem sure whether he even enjoyed it all or not.
And J.K. didn’t even describe it at all! Totally skimped on the details! Just mentions Cho getting so close to Harry that he could see the tears clumping her eyelashes together and then – Oh! What a surprise – it’s suddenly a new scene! Man, what a cop-out!
Well, when asked what it was like, Harry did respond saying it as 'Wet.' - so I guess that was as much detail we were going to get.
But, maybe she could embellish a little more for future romance oriented scenes..hmmm?
I'm not asking for any scenes straight out a Harlequin romance novel - I just want something along the lines of, '..then before he knew what was happening, (insert girl of you choices' name here) had clasped her hands around Harry and kissed him.'
Something simple, straight-forward and not bound to make parents gasp and cover their children's eyes.
Is that too much to ask?
Well, too late now - guess I should have rang Mrs. Rowling up last year and mentioned it to her.
Anyways, I must admit, I rather enjoyed the scene when they went to have coffee at that frilly teashop (calling it a make-out spot would have been more accurate) on Valentine’s Day and ended up being surrounded by a bunch of snogging couples. Harry was so uncomfortable and the tension between him and Cho (especially when she started mentioning Cedric and getting upset) was so thick, you could cut it with a knife. Yikes!
And then, not surprisingly, she turns out to be this (as Ron would say) Scarlet woman – going off with the first boy who’s good looking enough and willing to put up with her constant blubbering.
If you ask me, what they need at that school more than anything is a psychiatrist – or at the very least – some grief counseling sessions.
Why I can think of dozens of students who would probably benefit going and talking about their problems – though knowing Harry, he’d still bottle everything up and insist he was fine – he’s so defiant and stubborn!
Gotta love him! ;)

Grace Granger
June 24th, 2003, 5:34 am
Sirius, I actually think this is just JKR really toying with us. Although I do see what you mean about using one as imagery, mainly H/Hr.

It is said that she gave Harry a kiss in GoF as some sort of physical support, but yet this "physical" support was never used in OoP. It is the same situation with Ron. Ron, who's never been in a Quidditch game and was nervous as heck, was giving a kiss on the cheek by Hermone to show her support. Then it's said that Hermione is developing feelings for Harry. Now it's the same thing with the kiss on the cheek with Ron. It evens out. But I still see something more in the kiss Hermione gave Harry and not Ron's.

I'm trying to be open-minded here you guys, you know pulling a "Hawk 92", but it's real hard! :sorry:

I did freak out for a second when Harry was looking at Parvati's hair. I was OMG, please don't tell me he's going to realize how pretty she is, but fortunately her long hair was just making him drowsy! ;)

Yeah Luna likes Ron. I never really got the impression she did the whole Lion on the hat thing for him. I just figured it was because she has a lot of friends in Gryffindor now. I think he crush it different from Ginny. She likes Ron, but she doesn't stop being herself which is cool. She's the kind of girl who likes someone, but doesn't stress herself about it.

Aurora
June 24th, 2003, 6:48 am
Yeah, I'm disappointed about R/Hr. More R/Hr stuff happened in GoF! But the thing is, I don't see Harry and Hermione at all now - Hermione was getting all peeved at Ron for wrecking a H/C moment, and she seemed to be perfectly fine with Harry going out with Cho. As far as I can see, Harry showed more affection for Luna.

I did notice that Luna liked Ron (and also lives in the Diggorys', Weasleys' part of the country) - carrying Pigwidgeon, laughing like a maniac at his joke, singing "Weasley Is Our King", but I can't see them together - Ron's too caught up with Hermione. I'd much rather a H/L relationship than H/Hr.

sone
June 24th, 2003, 6:53 am
Actually , it semed to me that she was still had her mind on Krum.

Ash_Key
June 24th, 2003, 7:16 am
:sniff: The Harry/Cho part w as written beautifully.... but I'm REALLY upset that they didn't end up together.. Maybe Harry'll end up with Luna... who knows?

Ahh... war on H/Hr and R/Hr..... I'm not really sure about that.. but I think that Hermione kinda torn apart between those boys.. both have been her best friends... having a relationship with one of them might hurt the other one... gee... it's really complicated... wonder what's on JKR's mind, though... wish I got Snape here... he might go inside her mind..:p

Harry... Cho.... *mourns*

And yeah, Fleur and Bill. Mark it in your mind.:love:

Sirius83
June 24th, 2003, 7:23 am
With regards to Hermione being fine with H/C...was i the only one who noticed she didn't really seem pleased about them? She didn't stop them and as a friend tried to help them but...look at the wording when she's talking about it...it doesn't feel right, it feels as though she's upset about it.

Springing to mind right now also, are when Hermione rushed in, happily expecting Harry to be prefect, as though she wanted to spend more time with him aside from as the trio...and then found it was Ron who got it instead and felt silly. Also, the part where she asks Harry if he wanted to stay up and help her with her elf hats, even though she knows he's not really thrilled about S.P.E.W. It really seems like she wants to spend more alone time with him.

HandsClean
June 24th, 2003, 7:30 am
Ginny well, let's just drop her out.
Personally, I have been expecting something special about the relationship between Ron and Hermione. But it did not happen.
Yeah..the romance between Harry and Cho was OK.
It was a little funny that Harry was not that aware of woman's mind working. However, I can tell that I was disappointed in Cho. I thought she might act more wisely in future books, but well, I was wrong though she was in the way of a normal teenage girl is. (I am 16 too, so I understand her)

lonewulf
June 24th, 2003, 7:30 am
Sirius83, as usual on this subject we are on the same page. If Hermione like Harry, but as i have said earlier feels she cannot express that feeling what would she do. To her, her best option is simply being around Harry as much as possible. Even if that means talking and giving advice about another girl! She is that good a friend and cares that much about him.

sone
June 24th, 2003, 7:31 am
Thank you sirius, you are not the only one who notices that. She may of been trying to push the relationship on because maybe, just maybe she did not think Harry had any interest in her (some of her already thought that she was ugly to Harry. Just the opposite in fact) Though Hermione does not know it yet, he does. No prefect, no taking her up on her S.P.E.W. hats. Talking about Cho and noticing her interest in him. The whole prefect thing was the biggest clue. She seemed thoroughly put out.

cathairetic
June 24th, 2003, 7:42 am
What romance? That wasn't romance. That was early stage feeling out of a possible beginning of going out with each other. Oh brother. I thought Harry would learn about women... all about women. Oh well. If you are busy teaching your friends and classmates how to defend themselves against deatheaters.... now poor Ron likes Hermione. That's obvious. Oh dear. And Ginny isn't wasting time on someone who has no time for her. You go, girl!

Ash_Key
June 24th, 2003, 7:50 am
Yeah, stay away from Harry, Ginny!

You-Know-Who
June 24th, 2003, 7:51 am
Am I the only one seeing a love triangle coming up like in a soap...

Ame
June 24th, 2003, 8:30 am
I don't have time to read through all these posts, but I certainly tried. Anyway, I am still and always will be a loyal Ron and Hermione shipper.

I for one was pleased with how the romance turned out in OotP. It wasn't important to the plot, but JKR did give us just enough to edge us on.

The Harry and Cho thing was hilarious and a shock. I wasn't expecting that at all. I personally ended up not as fond of her as I was at first. She was silly to think Harry would want to talk about Cedric, even if she was jealous of Hermione and wanted to test Harry... she should have known better. Besides she's older than him, I would have expected a little more maturity from her. I was never found of the idea of her and Harry together anyway.

As for Harry and Hermione... I'm even more confident that there relationship is as platonic as ever. Hermione showed no extreme special interest in Harry at all. It seemed to me that they had a very brotherly/sisterly relationhip between the two. This sibiling relationship just grew stronger in the 5th book. But beyond that I saw no hint of romance between the two. Especially, when she advised Harry with Cho. I got the impression of an older sister advising her younger brother about girls. And this is not a biased of my shipping either.

As for Ron and Hermione, to my delight Ron definetely has feelings for Hermione. But to my dismay, Hermione remains indifferent. She can be a real drag of a character... I'm telling you :sigh: I was beyond ecstatic at seeing Ron blush at Hermione's kiss on his cheek. Though I realize now he and Harry are even, though they both reacted quite differently. Of course the cursory mentioning of Viktor showed Ron's jealousy still lingers. :confused: And I'm not sure if anyone else took this into account, but when Harry and Hermione were explaining the Gwarp situation to Ron... did anyone else notice Ron's facing turn red? It wasn't red like he was upset that they hadn't seen his victory game or anything like that. I got the impression he was kinda blushing at Hermione's hand touching him. Maybe it's just me but I don't think that was written in for no good reason. Also, there were a few mentioning's of how Hermione seeking out Ron's approval (when it came to their prefect duties) was similar to Mrs. Weasley always looking to Mr. Weasley for support or approval... why would that be mentioned... and more than once to boot. Note: I'll seek at exact points of book later... if anyone wants me to.

:sigh: Moving on. I was so very proud of Ginny's character!!!! :clappy: She grew up and moved on. I was happy to see her dating and interested in other guys. It was refreshing to see her get over the infatuation with the famous Harry Potter. I loved knowning she was dating that Corner boy... but was she serious about the Dean Thomas thing? Anyway, it was so refershing to see her get over the Potter Crush... but just to fall back into it again by the end of the book... :shrug: I guess you can't win them all.

Okay... I guess I'll go now... hopefully my post won't be ignored... Later everyone...

lodlom
June 24th, 2003, 8:36 am
Tallying up Hermione's kisses on the cheek doesnt mean anything.....thats like saying she never hugged ron as hard as she did harry when he came to blacks house for the first time, its just dumb.

Ive always seen the Ron/hermione thing but never thought it was going to go anywhere

After reading this book however I am more convinced that it will be harry and hermione. This book really shows what one will do for the other.....Harry's first date and he has no problem tell hermione he will come and see her.... the way i see this is that when it came down to it there isnt a girl harry would choose over hermione....and I dont mean to be a girlfriend, I just mean someone he would be there for. If Hermione needed him he would be there for her no matter what it was. It goes the other way too, the biggest thing of how hermione would do it for harry is that she would pick harry over ron....if one of them needed her she would be there for harry first
that says something

Max
June 24th, 2003, 8:50 am
OK ... OK ... now, wait ... what's strange in Book 5 is that many (I'm using that term loosely here) things that we thought would happen happened, but some things that we were almost certain would happen, didn't happen. I would have expected more of the so-called tension between Ron and Hermione. But here is my question: Where is it? Because as far as I see, there was, at the very most, very little of that tension between Ron and Hermione. Is it shown during their many arguments? I don't think so. Their fights are merely a result of their conflicting personalities -- which, if they were to be in a relationship, would not be very healthy. Now, some may say, Harry and Hermione argued in the book, didn't they? Well, yes, they did, but the difference is that instead of Hermione fighting back as she did in her fights with Ron, she kept cool and tried to console Harry. My point is that there just isn't enough evidence in OotP to really support the R/Hr ship.

too_wicked
June 24th, 2003, 8:54 am
Okay, I go for H/H but while reading book 5, I started having second thoughts. And like other H/H'ers, I was quite sure that by book 5, Ron and Hermione will start to show that they have feelings for each other but I actually didn't see any of that. And about Harry and Ginny, I'm having some thoughts about them too.

Ron:
Obviously, Ron likes Hermione. He's just so obvious when he gave her that perfume for Christmas. He's still got this grudge against Krum and IMO, even if they still fight a lot, Ron is starting to see Hermione as a new person.

Hermione:
I dunno but in GoF, I definitely saw something going on about her feelings for Ron. But in book 5, she's like clueless over Ron's feelings. Take this for example, when Ron gave her the perfume for Christmas, she says that Ron's gift was quite unusual. I know she's a smart girl but can't she see that Ron likes her?! Don't get me wrong here, I still think Hermione's really clever.

Now about her feelings for Harry. I think that what happened between them is pure friendship. She gives advices to Harry on how to deal with Cho and also, she's quite happy about Harry's love life. She was even annoyed with Ron when Ron attacked Cho in front of Harry about the Tornados. She says he's insensitive that Cho obviously wants to talk to Harry. That's why I'm having second thoughts about H/H.

Harry:
Okay. He just got his first kiss from his long-time crush and he had a date with her. He had a colorful love life in here! But still, by the end he realizes that Cho is not for him and even considers her a human hosepipe (really funny). So Cho is out of the question by books 6 and 7

About him and Hermione. IMO he still considers Hermione a good ol' friend. He gets advices from her right? And when he realized that Cho is jealous of Hermione, he starts laughing. Now that just tells me that he really isn't interested in her.

About Ginny. They became friends at long last and I was quite happy with the development of their relationship. Ginny got over Harry and Harry is starting to know Ginny as a person. That's good. Still, I didn't see anything about HArry's possible feelings for Ginny. But we really don't know right?

Ginny:
I was a bit shocked with her in this book! Two boyfriends?! Maybe she's joking about Dean Thomas but with that Michael Corner?Whoa! That was quick! I was glad that she stopped knocking off butter dishes whenever Harry's there. I'm glad that she can talk to Harry now and even kid around with him. I'm glad that we were able to see the real Ginny Weasley not just some kid who follows Harry around. She's got spunk and she is definitely a Weasley. Good for you girl!

Now about HArry. Okay, they talk and they joke around now. But I doubt it that she's really over Harry. I dunno, you just can't throw a crush that's been there for three straight years!

Ron and Hermione:
If I see some feelings from Hermione in book 6, then they are definitely hooking up.

Harry and Hermione:
Definitely platonic. But still, we never know.

Harry and Ginny:
This is something I'm having second thoughts with. Now that Harry knows Ginny, maybe he'll discover something about her that will caught his attention. She already loves playing Quidditch, she's been Seeker, she talks to him and she's definitely kicking some ***. I wouldn't be surprised if Harry decides to go after his best friend's little sis.

Max
June 24th, 2003, 9:13 am
too_wicked: Well, to be frank, in Book 5, I didn't really see much R/Hr stuff. I'm not sure that Ron likes Hermione that much now in OotP. Sure, he went over the edge and made himself a bad reputation in GoF, but now, I'm beginning to like Ron better. Despite that fact, instead of including even more moments where Ron and Hermione (supposedly) show their feelings for each other, Rowling decided to leave that ship alone. Why? It could easily be said that Ron still likes Hermione a lot because: a) he still dislikes Krum, and b) He sent her perfume. But this can be countered just as easily. Ron may still just dislike Krum -- perhaps he still hasn't recovered from his dislike of Krum from GoF. And if he sent Hermione perfume, it could just be that he was trying to send Hermione something that she would like. Also, when Hermione said that it was unusual, Rowling may just be showing that guys don't really understand girls.

And now, about H/Hr: It could be said that there was more H/Hr in OotP than in GoF. Consider, for example, the scene in which Hermione said:

"... and it might have been a good idea to mention how ugly you think I am too," Hermione added as an afterthought.

"But I don't think you're ugly," said Harry, bemused.

Hermione laughed.

"Harry, you're worse than Ron ... Well, no, you're not," she sighed, as Ron himself came stumping into the hall ..."

Interesting, no? Consider also the many little adventures that Harry and Hermione shared without Ron. Rowling could have had Ron go with them, or just Harry himself, but instead, Hermione was included with Harry.

tachyon
June 24th, 2003, 10:20 am
I think what Cho said about Harry chasing after Hermione when they were in Hogsmeade and again later on she went off at him again about her might be significant...

They're such a close knit group of friends that maybe it takes an outsider to see what is really there. And I don't think Luna would be chasing after Ron if she thought that there was something going on between him and Hermione.

Guess we'll just have to wait until book 6 comes out to see what transpires :)

FlyingPhoenix
June 24th, 2003, 11:02 am
Now is it much more obvious that the path is straight going to H/Hr though still some people don´t see it. I´m not absolute sure but nearlly that H/Hr. Well, Hermione is awule often in Harrys mind and she is only his friend. He has even this picture in his mind as she was in the hospital wing in COS as this polyjuice potion didn´t work. He could even remind in the forrest the dragon which Hagrid once had and we all know that he and Hermione brought Norbert to the astronomy tower. Harry didn´t answer Hermione as she asked if he likes Cho since a long time?! He just avoid this question. To Hermione she simply can´t speak bad about Cho. If you regornise Harry has a really bad temper in that book what do you think He did if Hermione freaks out because of Cho? I don´t wanna think about it. And Yeah, Pansy I really think Hermione is like that in this case you need only to read what a show she plays as Umbridge want use the crucicatius curse at Harry. Its not only that Hermione lies like a champion. No she don´t care what the centaurs might do with Umbridge and she know it very well that the centaurs might kill Umdridge. But Hermione didn´t care and over all we see how well Hermione can act. If you read this than you might think about this V-Day thing. She know that Rita Skeeter will be there and she know what this woman might ask Cho but she say to Harry he can bring her with. I mean I can hear very loud a bell ringing we know already that Hermione seems to know how a girl thinks Why than say Harry should bring Cho with on his first date on the V-Day to meet her? Hermione does this all with a second thought and this one isn´t that nice girl look only what she do with Umbridge.

Hermione's Twin
June 24th, 2003, 11:25 am
I think it was handled really well, seeing as it was Harry's 1st experience with the ladies.

I really hope Ron and Hermione would get it together in this book as JK majorly hinted towards but maybe shell drag it out to book 7?

saffron
June 24th, 2003, 11:30 am
I thought there would be so much more romance. rowling had said there was going to be lots of raging hormones. I thought harry and cho was necessary, I knew they wouldn't end up together for very long and they sortof had to do something so harry could get over her.
I really thought hermione and ron were gunna get together but nothing happened to either of them. Ron's 15 and as far as we know he hasnt had any relationship what so ever which is weird most 15 year olds would have had a fair bit of experience by then. But then its a fantasy book not a tennager romance.

sone
June 24th, 2003, 1:16 pm
Hermione being "ok" with Cho definitely does not mean that they are only platonic. Hermione does not wear her feelings on her sleeves. Even though she did frown a little when she found out that Harry kissed Cho.

whizbang121
June 24th, 2003, 2:25 pm
Originally posted by Sirius83 (original post (http://www.cosforums.com/a/showthread.php?postid=391278#post391278))
With regards to Hermione being fine with H/C...was i the only one who noticed she didn't really seem pleased about them? She didn't stop them and as a friend tried to help them but...look at the wording when she's talking about it...it doesn't feel right, it feels as though she's upset about it.

Springing to mind right now also, are when Hermione rushed in, happily expecting Harry to be prefect, as though she wanted to spend more time with him aside from as the trio...and then found it was Ron who got it instead and felt silly. Also, the part where she asks Harry if he wanted to stay up and help her with her elf hats, even though she knows he's not really thrilled about S.P.E.W. It really seems like she wants to spend more alone time with him.

Really good points. Hermione also used the Harry/ Cho involvement as an opportunity to educate our hero, and anyone else who was listening, on the finer points of the delicate art of relationships. Granted, she probably read about it in a book, ;) but she has a good idea how it works, and she can help. Maybe she should consider counseling, especially since when we saw her thinking about careers, she seemed uncertain which to work towards. She definitely has a knack. She may decide that Ron is hopeless and instead work on turning Harry into the man of her dreams.

GryffindorGal
June 24th, 2003, 3:44 pm
Originally posted by Max (original post (http://www.cosforums.com/a/showthread.php?postid=387865#post387865))
Thanks, Lupine and dumbleedore.

Well, that part that you mentioned is, well, interesting. It really makes it seem as if Hermione at least feels something for Harry, doesn't it? Don't know what to make of it, though.

I think that she's just as confused as the boys but hides it better.

I don't think that she was all that thrilled with Harry dating Cho. Perhaps because she feels something for him subconsiously or maybe because she thought that Cho was just on the rebound and would end up hurting Harry. Cho showed jealousy over Harry talking about "darling" Hermione. (similar to Krum in GOF)

She was "businesslike" when she asked him if Cho kissed him. .(I'm still LOL over Ron asking him what it was like and Harry replying "wet"). and frowning slightly when Harry confirmed it.

There were several H/Hr moments in here and a few R/Hr as well.
At this point in time it could still go either way. I really don't think we'll know for certain until book 7's epilogue.

Oh, and Filius: No comment on Ron/Hermione and Harry/Cho, but what intrigues me is Ron/Luna. Luna did seem to have a thing for Ron, didn't she -- especially when she "was staring dreamily at Ron". We'll see in book 6.

"Weasley is our King" wasn't IMO meant in a derogatory way when Luna was just singing that line

Ecthelion
June 24th, 2003, 3:58 pm

I think that she's just as confused as the boys but hides it better.

Ah, well said. Apart from my attention going towards Harry and Cho I couldn't help but notice a few things that involved Hermione.

1. Whenever Harry and Cho had a disagreement, some way or another Hermione came into the fray. (spokenly of course)

2. She was very aware of Cho's reactions to Harry.

3. She knew that Cho had cornered him and come to a conclusion as to what had happened. Which in turn, means she spent time thinking about it, and if she did have any feelings at all for Harry, platonic or not, I am sure she would have done what she had.

4. She is the one who asks a lot of the tough questions as to what Harry had done with Cho or what he is going to do with her. (whether the kissed and what he was going to do now...ect.)

But of course, as GryffindorGal stated, she went through all of these things in a vague and distant manner....buisness-like which is an easy way to hide your emotions. Hermione being the mature self she is would not interfere with H/C, but for some reason she chose find out more than expected about its happenings.

I don't know but these little things just seem a bit foreboding...not that it means anything but I hope it does.

October
June 24th, 2003, 4:03 pm
I really think that scene where Harry returns shellshocked from "the kiss" and is counselled by Hermione is very telling. Hermione is in the middle of writing a letter of mamouth proportions to Viktor. Why does she choose that particular time to write him and what could she be possibly saying that takes so much parchment? And while she is doing this, she is questioning Harry with a "slight frown" "briskly", "distantly" and "vaguely".

To me, this smacks of avoidance. She knows something was about to go down between H/C after the DADA meet, and she starting writing to Viktor. She is trying to distance herself from H/C. She is being the "best friend", because that's what friends do, but I think her heart is hurting. The fact that she was aware of Harry's crush on Cho "for ages" tells me she knows her boys very well. Both of them. She is aware of Harry's feelings for Cho and I'm sure she's aware of Ron's for her. She knows them far better than they know her.

H/C sank the moment Harry mentally compared Cho to the "human hosepipe". That was the voice of doom.

Kendra
June 24th, 2003, 4:11 pm
Same, i'm sure a H/Hr. I understand why she was helping Harry and Cho out, I try to matchmake people I like myself (don't ask why I fail to understand myself let alone anyone else understanding). I can't see R/Hr going well, they bicker too much, not healthy. Harry and Hermione think alike, which shows friendship, needed for a relationship.

To work things out we could look at Lily and James. Lily was stubborn (sounds familiar eh?!) and didn't seem to be that close to James, she yelled at him, encouraging for a Hr/R relationship. Yet when they were together, from the snippets we know, they didn't argue, arguing for a H/Hr type of relationship.

Insomnia
June 24th, 2003, 4:22 pm
What was I expecting for? Guess...

That Severus Snape, my favourite Potions Master, ends up in his dungeon with some particularly beautiful and evil lady...

Grace Granger
June 24th, 2003, 4:35 pm
Oh October, Hermione is very conscious of the fact that Harry has liked Cho for ages and she was simply helping him out. She definitely knew what could happen when she and Ron left the DA meeting. As I read, I did a double take on "business-like manner" and thought was that about. "Business-like manner" automatically reminds me a someone being fake. Putting on their "show-time" faces. That whole conversation was iffy in my books.

FP,, I noticed Harry when he was with Snape thinking of Hermione in the hospital wing as well. I thought that must have meant something, as well. We don't read that Harry saw Ron on the floor in PS/SS or when he first saw Ginny. Both cases either of them could have been killed or dying slowly.

Now I'd like to point out Harry pushing Hermione out of the way numerous times. Yes I know they were in danger, but just let me dwell in it, please. ;) Luna, Ginny, Ron, Hermione and Neville are all around him, in the Hall of Prophecy, but he chooses to move Hermione along. Also, how Harry realizes Hermione's loyalty while in Umbridge's office and no one else's (because everyone else did sacrifice). Harry realizes a lot of things about Hermione in this book and I love it! :clappy:

Alice
June 24th, 2003, 5:12 pm
Hmm..i still think that it could go either way. I don't think that it's fair at all to compare James and Lily's relationship with either Harry or Ginny or Harry and Hermione becuase what was plainly established in this book was that Harry is not like his father personality wise. I'm postive that Ron likes Hermione but there is no certain that Harry likes Hermine. Until we see any clear sign of Hermione's feelings (because she could be hiding her feelings for both, one or neither of them) then we won't be able to answer the annoying question of romance.

I'm glad that there was less romance in this book, but the romance that was present was really only Harry. I was disappointed that we saw no change in Hermione, and espeially no sign of any romantic feelings. Compared to the other main young female character (Ginny) Hermione is acting like an uptight nun! I had hope when Hermione said that she felt rebellious that she would do something drastic on any level, but it just sort of ended. Nevermind! We can still hope...

cathairetic
June 24th, 2003, 5:23 pm
Does anyone here besides me think that Harry cannot have an open romance at Hogwarts or anywhere else? If Draco, Goyle or Crabbe see that Harry has a serious girlfriend, they will tell their fathers who will tell Voldemort. Or Voldemort will read his mind. Anyone very close to Harry is in danger, but a romantic involvement would be really dangerous because a teenage boy sometimes thinks with his private parts and not with his head. And Harry is one of those people who acts first and thinks later. Look what happened to Sirius? He was what Harry cared about, Voldemort used this and Sirius died.

Silk E Smooth
June 24th, 2003, 5:30 pm
I tried really hard to read all the posts but I couldn't. I was looking to see if anyone else noticed that Ginny's crush on Harry is back? The smile and look away thing she did on Hermione's hospital bed is what I'm refering to. As for her comment about Dean, I don't think she was kidding. I think she really is going out with him. Didn't someone call that ship? It was so out in left field but someone mentioned it a long time ago. As for Ron and Hermione, they are acting, IMO, like they are dating but like an old couple that does display a lot of romance. In their case it would because they haven't got to that point yet.

Picko
June 24th, 2003, 5:36 pm
Well Harry's become an awesome hero again Silk E, how can any girl resist the charms of Harry "The Weapon" Potter :p

I agree with cathairetic. Harry's going to have a lot of trouble having an open relationship with any individual at Hogwarts as long as Voldemort exists.

Harry-Dawg
June 24th, 2003, 5:37 pm
I just want to point out that Ron wants Harry to go with Ginny. On the train back Ron tells to pick the "-best-" choice next time. Ron has shown that he is protective over his sister and woud want Harry to go out with her. Not to menion the second after he tells Harry this Ginny tells them she's going out with Dean and Ron flips the chess board.

Also talking about Ron and Hermione didn't JKR write that Ron held his hand to his cheeck, and seemed confused and preoccupied?

Kendra
June 24th, 2003, 5:40 pm
Cat that is an excellent point. Lily was only in danger because she was with James and was protecting Harry.

Makes you wonder if Cho will get targeted? I mean, Pansy saw her, and although it's over, Voldie may not know.

Springy
June 24th, 2003, 5:40 pm
Does anyone here besides me think that Harry cannot have an open romance at Hogwarts or anywhere else? If Draco, Goyle or Crabbe see that Harry has a serious girlfriend, they will tell their fathers who will tell Voldemort. Or Voldemort will read his mind. Anyone very close to Harry is in danger, but a romantic involvement would be really dangerous because a teenage boy sometimes thinks with his private parts and not with his head. And Harry is one of those people who acts first and thinks later. Look what happened to Sirius? He was what Harry cared about, Voldemort used this and Sirius died.

You have forgotten something. Occlumency. Harry knows that Voldie can get in his mind and now he knows why. If DD have told Harry about this early, I dear say that Sirius would not have died. But because of this, Harry will now learn Occlumency, which means he can still have an relationship since Voldie would not be able to get to him anymore, through that means anyway. Don't worry, Harry will find away of doing it, since now he will be trying to learn Occlumency.

rikuownsyou
June 24th, 2003, 5:43 pm
I thought she did the romance great becasue Cho just cried to much and Harry found out that maybe he should get somebody new. Ginny didnt think to highly of her boyfriend and got someone else and Ron was worried. Ron and Hermione didnt get together to fast and she did it perfectly.

Silk E Smooth
June 24th, 2003, 5:44 pm
I don't think Ron is going to want anyone with Ginny but Harry. Dean is his friend and he obviously didn't even approve.

Yeah, Cat, I'm getting a spiderman-ish feel from Harry now so I think he might be too afraid to care for anyone. But at the same time, can he control it?

Picko
June 24th, 2003, 5:46 pm
But Springy, Voldemort still has spies available to him in the form of students who can expose the individuals that Harry cares most about, afterall who would have expect a delusional house-elf from exposing Harry's secrets this time?

cathairetic
June 24th, 2003, 6:36 pm
Yes, I had not forgotten about occlumency. But Harry is not able to use it at this time and Snape, as usual, let his own feelings rule his head and refuses to teach Harry. Harry will have to let someone else teach him. Perhaps Mad Eye can take care of this over the summer. But there are still spies in residence at Hogwarts. It's difficult for me to see them there. I would have thrown them out, but since Dumbledore is such an honorable person I suppose he believes there may be good in everyone and that sons should not be punished for the sins of their fathers.

If I were Harry I would try to think of a way to keep the Evil Three and any other Slytherins from hearing and registering the name of anyone he was interested in. For instance, if someone says 'Cho Chang', Malfoy would hear 'raspberries' or some other innocuous word. I don't suppose that would be feasible but it's a thought.

Earendil
June 24th, 2003, 6:43 pm
Well hello, hello! I just finished posting my review, having only just finished the book itself, and I have TONS to say about the shippyness in OotP -- or lack thereof. I was definitely pleased to see that there wasn't too much romance in the book, which was one thing that I was worried would get out of hand, and it's nice to know that we've only been given little tiny hints to allow us to continue the endless speculation in the shipper debate. I am personally uninterested in the romance aspect of the book, being much more concerned with the overall plot itself, and I'm happy as long as Harry and Hermione end up together in the end. ;) But to be fair, I did see other relationships being developed, so allow me to ramble a little more:

Harry/Hermione: I have to start off with these two. I was initially worried when I began to read, both because of what JK said in her Dateline interview on Friday and because of what I was reading. There were times when Harry was behaving so unnecessarily mean and unappreciative to Hermione that I wanted to throttle him. And then there were times when it truly came through how much they care about each other, even if it's just as friends for now. However, towards the end I noticed how JK kept up the pattern of putting the two of them together in dangerous situations to illustrate how well they work as a team and how their characters complement each other so well. So, while I was horribly discouraged in the first half of the novel, the H/Hr-ness got a little better as it went along, and I'm sure that they've still got a fighting chance.

Ron/Hermione: Oh dear. Not sure what to think at all about these two. I was certain that they would get together in this book and get their tension out of the way, leaving the path clear for Harry and Hermione, but it appears that their so-called feelings for each other are still unresolved and festering. This worries me....but then again, I also noticed that JK passed up on several opportunities to develop the concept of these supposed feelings, which was strange. I mean, it's pretty much common knowledge that Ron fancies Hermione, but her feelings are entirely in the dark right now. What's more, R/Hr shippers finally got something that only we H/Hr shippers had before: a kiss on the cheek. *insert groan here* Let the endless debates continue. Until whenever Book 6 comes out, I have to admit that R/Hr still has a fighting chance as well.

Harry/Ginny: Oh, barf. I must say that reading the other replies in this thread that say that these two have no chance have been a gigantic comfort to me, because I was feeling pretty darn convinced that this is the way JK is planning to go. It kills me to admit it, because I have been vehemently denying that the H/G ship has even been floating for the past three years, but I am now forced to admit the validity of the evidence in favor of it. (Where's GilyAnn? Let this moment go down in history...I, Earendil, am calmly admitting that I see the possibility of H/G. :D ) Doesn't mean I like it. I can just see it happening, much to my chagrin. Especially because Ginny has finally gotten over her swoony little crush, and is becoming her own person. I can see Harry suddenly falling for her and her playing hard-to-get. Just kill me before that happens.

Ron/Luna: My new favorite ship! I love Luna! *cheers* It seems kind of obvious that she has a crush on Ron, and he's been pretty horrible to her. But I think that Luna is the new Eloise. He will eventually see how wrong he was in making fun of her and start hexing people who call her Loony Lovegood and nick her stuff. Go Luna!

Neville/Ginny: Not sure why I was picking up on this, except for the fact that I want it to happen, but I can definitely picture it. Maybe it was the way he saved her at the end, and maybe it's because both their characters grew and developed so well, but I can see it happening.

And then there was Cho. How glad am I that we've gotten her out of the way? She was nice enough in the beginning, and I thought it was cool that she was a Seeker and all, but the way she was bawling and sniffling the whole time made me think that she just wanted attention. And why would she use Harry as her rebound, when he was the one who was indirectly involved in Cedric's death? Did she even consider that it might be awkward for him? She's just a silly drama queen, and Harry is much better off without her. My only grievance is that she was his first kiss. (Why, WHY did it have to be her?) I knew that he had to resolve his crush on her by spending a little more time with her, but I didn't expect her to kiss him. Jeez. Well anyway, it seems as if his feelings for her have passed, much to my relief. It was also nice to see that Cho was jealous of the time that Harry spends with Hermione. I kept thinking darkly to myself, "Yeah, that's right, Hermione's the one who REALLY matters to him..." I think that this is a sign of how any girl that Harry dates will always take a backseat to Hermione, because of the amount of time and experience that they share.

Well then. I was pleased to see that the shippyness in this book was kept at a comfortable level, and that there was sufficient evidence to support the HMS Harmony. And about the whole thing where anyone close to Harry is in danger: well, that's a risk that he's not going to want to take. But it's not easily going to be avoided, especially when he finds the girl who is willing to sacrifice everything for him. So yes, the girl he finally picks will be in great danger, but the one I'm leaning towards for him will be in danger anyway because of her heritage, so there we go. ;) Nice posts, everyone! Cheers

Hope1272
June 24th, 2003, 7:04 pm
I thought JKR did a great job all around in depicting romance for teenage characters.

Ron- It's very obvious that he has feelings for Hermione. The gift of perfume shows he's thinking of her as a girl rather than just a chum. I giggled as I thought of him trying to pick out a scent for her and imagined it was probably a very flowery scent that she would have never chosen, hence the word "unusual" from Hermione when describing it.

Harry- I thought Cho served a really good, if not totally irritating(in my opinion)point to make about the kind of girl Harry really needs. Harry spent two years building her up and went through the letdown and confusion that we all have felt once we really get to know our crushes. Cho is nice to a point, but she is also very self involved and highly possessive. The girl who wins Harry's heart has to accept the place Hermione has in it, if it isn't Hermione herself. She will also need to accept that Harry's life is in constant danger and that creating any more drama than necessary is not what the boy needs. I loved that Harry did not lose his loyalty to his friends over an infatuation and in the end, realized that he was truly over Cho. Harry's romance gave us a lot of funny moments, especially from the point of view of a very confused fifteen year old boy.

Hermione- She's in an awkward position. The H/Hr shipper in me thinks that she does have feelings for Harry, but plays it very closely to the vest for a number of reasons. I don't think she has missed all the signs of Ron's feelings towards her which is why she probably kissed him before the game, she knew it would distract him. Ron having feelings towards her would mean that she also must tread lightly to keep the trio's unity intact. They are in a war situation and losing anyone else would be disaster, especially if Harry lost his best friend. Plus, I don't think that even while she trades barbs with Ron, she is not so insensitive that she would really want to hurt Ron's feelings in any way. She cares about him too much to do that. Look at how she handled Viktor, they walked away friends as well. Ron would deserve no less if she didn't feel the same about him as he felt about her and I just do not see Hermione not showing great care for his feelings in this sensitive matter. But only JKR knows the answer to whether she returns these feelings or not I suppose.

I also enjoyed her involvement of giving advice to Harry as well. We got to see another side of Hermione that isn't obsessed with reading every book in existence or trying to be the best at everything. Although......now that I think about it the meeting with Rita may have served more than one purpose for Hermione. She played it cool, but I think her inviting Cho to the meeting with Rita was to size Cho up. It would prove that either she would be the kind of girl to stand by Harry and realize what was really going on or she would do exactly what she ending up doing, which was walk out. Hermoine's other advice to Harry about Cho seems to draw a picture of Hermione paying enough attention to Cho to know about her crying everywhere and how badly she was playing in Quidditch. But this would give Hermione(and Harry) a better picture of who Cho really was. Pretty big gamble, but I think that Hermione has shown that she can bluff like there's no tomorrow when Harry's involved. Also, a clever girl like Hermione wouldn't throw in the remark about her being ugly unless she was gaging Harry for something and he responded in a way that made her happy to say the least. I can't help it, I'm just a H/Hr shipper at heart.

My husband and I are on opposite ends of the spectrum(he's a R/Hr shipper)but I feel either way, JKR gave these characters a sweet and funny way to explore one of life's more confusing situations. I suppose however it turns out in the end, we'll be entertained no matter what.

Great thread.

Pansy
June 24th, 2003, 7:22 pm
For some reason, I'm having extreme difficulty responding or posting, so please forgive me if it takes a while to get back to any responses to this (perhaps we've overloaded the system since everyone is so anxious to discuss everything) ;) If it hasn't been said already, I'm glad to see that this is sorta the "new" Love Thread, and its wonderful to see so many familiar faces.

That being said... here are my thoughts to some posts a couple of pages back:

Why the hate for Ron? First, before this book, H/HR shippers have said that Ron's character doesn't possess enough qualities to be "good enough" for Hermione, but yet, in this book he becomes Prefect, Gryffindor Keeper, and in my opinion, starts to show some self awareness and confidence. Hermione definitely notices, so why is this "not good enough" all of a sudden?

I'm still not finished with the book, but only have 10 chapters to go - I think I've gotten through most of the ship stuff anyway, which I agree, I'm glad it didn't monopolize the book.

Sirius83 I think said a couple of pages back that he thought Hermione's inquisition about Harry's first kiss was a calculated effort by her to allow a h/c relationship to work to her benefit in the long run (and I'm paraphrasing here) I think that doesn't say much for Hermione's character, nor does it complement the strong young lady that she is. Saying that Hermione "allowed" Harry to have his relationship with Cho simply so Harry could be done with it so he could move onto Hermione makes Hermione a very calculated and devious person - do the H/hr shippers really think of her that way? Sure, she doesn't wear her heart of a sleeve, but, I dont' see her as that devious.

Hermione's reaction to Harry's first kiss caught me as being a "mature" way of approaching the subject. Sure, she could have been like Ron, or worse like the twins could have been and teased Harry, but she didn't. Her reaction to me shows a very mature attitude about dating as a whole, and it set the tone for Ron and Harry's views on the topic. Ron could have teased Harry, but instead was happy for him and relished the recount.

I do remember "teenage angst" and highschool days of dating, but I dont' think Hermione is the type of teenage girl who is trying to manipulate the "dating scene" to benefit her true interestes. And believe me, there were girls like that in high school.

Something else noone has mentioned. How did Hermione know about Harry's crush for ages on Cho? Did she just assume it was so after Harry tried to ask Cho to the Yule Ball? I think not. If Hermione was aware of Harry's feelings for Cho, then she is obviously aware of Ron's feelings for her, as it appears she is very perceptive. So, if she knows Ron's feelings, then she is simply waiting for Ron to accept that he might get rejected and make the move before the shows any feelings. She realizes Ron's fear and chooses to respect it.

I'm not saying it wil definitly end up R/HR, as I do understand the arguments for h/hr, I'm just trying to point out some things I thought were significant. And I for would wouldn't be disappointed with either ship.

Earendil: I'm sure the Kisses will be debated for ages until the next book comes out. I'm kinda glad JK threw it in there, and I'm not ready yet to analyse it's significance, if any. You bring up a point I want to address:

by Earendil: It was also nice to see that Cho was jealous of the time that Harry spends with Hermione. I kept thinking darkly to myself, "Yeah, that's right, Hermione's the one who REALLY matters to him..." I think that this is a sign of how any girl that Harry dates will always take a backseat to Hermione, because of the amount of time and experience that they share.

What girl Cho's age wouldn't be jealous of her boyfriend's best "girl" friend? I think those emotions are completely normal for this age, and were not necessarily written in to show support for a Harry and Hermione relationship. But I do agree with you, I'm glad to who "cho" thing is over.

CowabungaDraco
June 25th, 2003, 8:32 am
I post rarely on this site.. I'm 16, I love harry potter, and man JK Rowling has me on a string like a mouse to a cat... I was so happy, I thought Cho Chang was ok when she first came along, but ever since I have read, I have been rooting for Hermione and Harry to get together. I just don't think Ron could appreciate Hermione like Harry does. I was so worried JK was going to kill off Hermione in the last few chapters I starting shaking, and I had to take a 5 minute break to calm down. I actually felt worried, and then Sirius died.. and thats sad and all but I was so glad it wasn't Hermione. Ron/Hermione just doesn't seem right. I really hope that Hermione and Harry get together in book six, one way or the other. Many of you have pointed out that they "bicker" like a married couple, but they seem really more annoyed by each other than that sort of bickering. "Hermione walks into the room, and sees the prefect badge in Harry's hand. YES!! WE GOT THEM!" it went along the lines of that.. which leads me to believe that she really is interested in harry. But yet again I am fearful and anxious that JK Rowling is going to play me like a fiddle and screw up my "perfect couple" lol. Oh well we will see but H/HR FOREVER!(p.s I wanted cho to be the "traitor" for the Dumbledores Army so that there was no way... but it all worked out :).

tomatimoos
June 25th, 2003, 8:47 am
maybe cho and harry relationship will continue next year, i really really hope so.

Max
June 25th, 2003, 9:12 am
Great posts, everyone.

And now ... to clear up some stuff. Pansy: Well, I don't think that every H/Hr shipper thinks that way of Ron, Pansy -- but I think that they were just referring to Ron's insensitivity and rashness in GoF -- he's seems to have grown up at last, and I think that being made a prefect and finally getting into the Quidditch team really did his confidence wonders, but Ron is still behind Harry and Hermione in development. "Now, wait," some of you may say, "Wasn't Harry acting like an idiot in the first half of the book?" Well, to be frank, yes, but wouldn't you feel the same if you were in Harry's shoes? Everyone seems to be into this -- everyone except for you. Being left in the dark is never a pleasant feeling, and I think that the anger that Harry's been bottling up over the years was finally released -- right on time, too, or he would have cracked ... he came very nearly so in the book, so it's good that he could vent a bit of his anger.

Good point on how perceptive Hermione is. But if she is already aware of Ron's feelings for her, and if she has no feelings for him in return, she may just be trying to act like a friend with him, and not hurt his feelings. Hermione's feelings a a little clearer in OotP, but they're still rather vague.

Earendil and Hope: Nice posts. I find it interesting how many H/Hr shippers think the same way. Someone said earlier that Harry always seemed to be dragging Hermione out of trouble (literally), and I happened to be thinking the same way. Bravo to collective thinking. :D

Amadeus
June 25th, 2003, 9:51 am
Cho seemed a little to mature for Harry in terms of relationshipwise... Harry doesn't get the clue when Cho tries to hint him... and Cho acted in a way that pushed her away from harry.... Harry was very preoccupied during book 5 to have any sort of romance at all anyway. I think it would've been similar situation no matter who the girl was

Max
June 25th, 2003, 10:32 am
Well, Ileugenell, I don't think that Cho was being mature, per se. Frankly, she could have been a little more mature, in fact. Cho just doesn't seem to understand Harry -- she doesn't understand what Harry's going through, the emotional battle inside of him, something that perhaps only Dumbledore and Hermione would know.

raeredeyes
June 25th, 2003, 10:40 am
It seems to me that Cho is really looking to Harry as a Cedric substitute...
Maybe she seeks Harry because he was the last one to see Cedric still alive. Hence, she would be somehow in connection with his memory.

lufc_chic
June 25th, 2003, 11:02 am
I'm a fan of Cho :love: Harry relationship so I was dissapointed with what happened in the end... it seemed like there's too many misunderstanding... I think Cho just feel a bit insecure because she doesn't know what's the real relationships of Harry and Hermione... Even though the love scene is not the important part of the book... I was annoyed with the things that left hanging between Harry and Cho... and from what I read in the end, it looks like there's no future for them, which made me even more upset... :( :'( Please Ms.Rowling save Harry and Cho :angel:

Endangered
June 25th, 2003, 11:09 am
I found Harry's relationship with Cho, quite natural, both had no idea what they wanted. They were both unhappy -so it ended.

The Ron and Hermione was interesting, as it nothing seemed to be resolved. Ron has grown up a lot, and it seems to me that he feels he is not deserving of Hermione. Something to do with confidence, which he certainly gained in the course of this book.

FlyingPhoenix
June 25th, 2003, 11:49 am
Dos nobody think that Ron seem to get what he saw in the mirror in PS/SS but at the other hand don´t get that what he might love?
I should explain it: I mean now Ron is prefect, keeper (did he win the quiditch cup?) could it be that he got his desire but not his crush? You know he might have a crush at Hermione but she don´t like him back. See what I wanna say? He get his desire but not that girl. This sounds awule this way.Its possible that JKR gos this path.

Max
June 25th, 2003, 11:56 am
Interesting way to put it, FlyingPhoenix, and an intriguing theory -- we'll see in Book 6 or 7 ... very interesting.

Hawk 92
June 25th, 2003, 12:30 pm
Alot of people pointed to the Christmas gifts as being a sign of shipping so in my usual fashion I went to the book to see what had happened,

Page 503 US version,

"Thanks for the book Harry!" she said happily. "I've been wanting that New Theory of Numerology for ages! And that perfume is really unusal, Ron."

Emphasis JKR.

Now at an intial look it doesn't seem to be alot.
1) The Trio has exchanged gifts. This happens every Christmas.
2) Harry has gotten her a book
3) Ron has gotten her perfume
4) Hermione is thanking both boys for their gifts

Now a slightly deeper look,

I notice the word unusual in front of the perfume gift. This is usually not a good thing. Generally when people refer to an unusual gift it doesn't show that they like it alot. This however is based on personal experience and is subject to interpetation.

The book itself "New Theory of Numerology" is interesting. Hermione's favorite subject is Arithmancy and this book clearly seems to be a part of Arithmancy. Hermione told Harry that she loved Arthimancy and that it was her favorite subject. Harry was listening. Knowing that Hermione loves books and Hermione loves Arithmancy, Harry combined the two. I think it also illiustrates that Harry is not as oblivious to Hermione as is often claimed in many debates. She did tell him it was her favorite subject in POA. Harry heard and Harry remembered.

And now for what's truly interesting. The grammer. Hmm the grammer, that sounds wierd even to me. :)

*Hawk takes out his old grade school english book*

Now after Hermione speaking to Harry the sentence ends with an exclamation point, twice. While thanking him and while telling us what he gave her.

exclamation point
n (1824): a mark ] used esp. after an interjection or exclamation to indicate forcefulutterance or strong feeling--called also exclamation mark

And now the sentence with Ron's gift ends in a period.
period
1: the completion of a cycle, a series of events, or asingle action: conclusion

So while Harry's gift is being given emphasis, strong feeling, and a forceful utterance, Hermione is truly thanking him for the gift. The perfume comes off as a polite afterthought.

Cheers!

FlyingPhoenix
June 25th, 2003, 12:36 pm
Now by the OWLs its interest that Hermione did mistranslate the runes:
ehwaz means partnership and not defence.
I think that is interest.

mionegirl
June 25th, 2003, 12:38 pm
I should start by saying that I am a HUGE R/Hr shipper - so naturally I was more than a little disappointed that we didn't see any real further development in their relationship. However I believe that there will still some subtle hints of affection, especially on Ron's side. I was also a little disappointed that JK didnt reveal what Hermione was writing to Krum and why she didnt visit him over summer. Does anyone think that perhaps there is a parallel between the relationships of James/Lily, then Ron/Hermione? I mean Lily thought James was silly, immature and insensitive at the start which Hermione seems to think about Ron. But as James began to mature and accept responsibility (finally becoming Head Boy), Lily began to date him in 7th year. Ron has begun to show signs of becoming more mature and responsible in this book. Perhaps by 7th year Ron will be mature enough for Hermione, and Hermione will be relaxed enough for Ron! Only JK knows! As for Harry, I see a more ominous future for him... I just don't see the series ending on a "ohh Harry kills the bad guy and gets the girl" type ending. I think the future holds too many troubles for him to concentrate on romance.

v@sh
June 25th, 2003, 1:01 pm
Ships:

Harry/Ginny

This ship is basically diffused. Ginny stated herself shes over Harry and has moved on from her crush on him and is comfortably dating others.

Ron/Luna

I think Luna has an interest in Ron. Though not developed much yet has a good start into becoming into a solid ship.

Ron/Hermione

I find hard to see much evidence in OotP cept maybe the kiss. However, I think like the kiss at the end of GoF its a supportive kiss due to the situation Hermione was in and nothing more. If the R/Hr shippers say things are happening in this book to suggest Ron likes Hermione and vice versa I see none of it. Hermione would know by her intelligence that Ron likes her, though she doesn't reciprocate back her feelings. Why? Because there aern't none, well in my opinion, only friendship.
For e.g.

- when ron is playing his final quidditch match hagrid asks harry and hermione to go with him to the forest. If hermione did have an interest in ron, i'd think she would of stayed and watched him instead of going along

If R/Hr shippers disagree with this please reply and post your supporting quotes.

Harry/Cho

I originally thought this wouldn't happen due to what happened in GoF. I had actually liked Cho as a character then but not now, her cryings were tedious. This was good in the way that Harry now doesn't feel anything much for her after the date. During their exchanges alone together it didn't sound as if it was going to continue anyway. I think this ship is also diffused.

Harry/Hermione

Though a slow start, I think this was the main ship of the book. There are many reasons to why I say this though it becomes more 'obvious' nearing the end of the book. I see this because:

- hermione's excitement when thinking harry is prefect along with her, only to her disappointed to find that ron is actually prefect

- hermione's attempt to be alone with harry with the elf hats only to be disappointed that he refuses

- despite harry's poor control on temper (which i thought he was a bit of a git being arrogant THROUGHOUT the novel - it would of been okay a few times but he did it too many times) he confides in telling hermione and not others

- in harry's dreams cho turns into hermione (quite interesting)

- the physical contact (and a lot of it) during the novel e.g. hermione bumps to hagrid and falls but harry catches her, hermione clinging onto hermione duirng the grawp scene, harry feeling hermione saying things to others rather than hearing during the final encounters

- harry tends to think about what hermione would do or say on many occasions

- harry actually puts thoughts into hermione's bday presents e.g. even though he isn't fond of books he gives hermione one she actually enjoys while ron gives her an odd smelling perfume which i found funny hehe =)

- harry telling hermione that she isn't ugly after her advice with cho

- harry talkin to cho on their date bout hermione a lot

And theres a few more though i can't remember the whole book. It definately seems Harry and Hermione are getting closer, whether as friends or something more. Though it seems to be leaning to H/Hr.

Max
June 25th, 2003, 2:03 pm
Good points, Hawk and v@sh.

Hawk: Very observant of you! Very good -- it is rather interesting, isn't it, the fact that Harry put quite a bit of thought into his gift for Hermione.

v@sh: Good points. As an addition to the physical contact part: Harry also seems to be getting Hermione out of trouble a lot, doesn't he? For example, he "grabs a handful of Hermione's robes" and drags her along (Beyond the Veil) and "pulls her down to the forest floor." (Fight and Flight)

Sorry for the short posts -- I'm rather short of time now ... I've been - er - neglecting homework to read Book 5 (slowly, to not miss any little details) and all those assignments are beginning to pile up ... so, goodbye for now. :sorry:

lufc_chic
June 25th, 2003, 2:14 pm
I don't think I want to see Harry with Hermione... I think Ron and Hermione would make a very cute couple... and I would rather see Harry and Ginny become best friends rather than boyfriend/girlfriend because they are just too close to each other and what they have now is just too good and if they go out... it will be so boring because there's nothing new to discover... I mean they hang out together anyway most of the time... I'm hoping this is not the end of Harry & Cho relationships because even though a lot of people don't like the way Cho behaved in book 5... she deserves another chance... because there are so many misunderstandings between them that should be cleared up...