What do you consider the most unneccessary product ever invented?

permafrost
December 31st, 2007, 9:21 pm
Sorry for the long title, but I think it's sort of an interesting question, if it hasn't been a thread already, so -insert sorry message-. But for me it would probrably be dog/cat clothes. They are irritating for the dogs, and provide them with almost 0 benefits.

January 1st, 2008, 11:02 pm
^^ i complEetely agree. some clothes for pets are just uneccesary, as you said clothes for cats and dogs...i think it is actually creul to put cats and dogs in clothes, you see celebrities do it to dogs and it is awful!!! it makes me sick, its okay for things like horses because you have to put those coat things on them to keep them warm, as they don't really get to curl up in a warm house :p hmmm this si an interesting question actually....i have an annoyance...pritt stick glues....okay glue is needed i guess... but they don't work!!!! the stuff your glueing comes back off :lol: i have gotten so fustrated with them :rolleyes:

soxy_luvsharry
January 2nd, 2008, 12:35 am
i agree with both of ya'lls "unnecessary inventions"---

the most unnecessary inventions for me... would have to be the little self made vaccum.
it may work on SOME floors... but it never worked for my moms.
and to have it follow you everywhere...
its like an accident waiting to happen.

or it would just die in the corner.:whistle:

purple_cow
January 3rd, 2008, 12:58 pm
Factory farms...all the horrible things they have in them.

Liselle
January 3rd, 2008, 1:08 pm
Bovril or Marmite.

WHY?!!!

Mundungus Fletc
January 3rd, 2008, 1:11 pm
Bovril or Marmite.

WHY?!!!
Marmite is the food of the Gods. Least useful invention - fabric conditioner - I used it for years before realising it was a waste of money

theunseen
January 3rd, 2008, 2:21 pm
Hate to say it, but candy. I mean... it's so tempting. It rots your teeth, makes you gain weight... all that sugary goodness... bad. And then there's the sugarless candy. Jeesh! It's like if you're going to eat something sweet you might as well eat something that actually tastes good.

Pens. Why can't we all just use quills? :D They're much cooler.

Annd... finger nail polish. Waste of money. It takes two or three days to start flicking off.

Ahh there are so many things I could name.... but then I'd go on and on, naming things that more than half of the worl uses, lol. All I need are books, a computer, a bed -or even just a thick blanket, and the nesseties like food. Tis it. All the other stuff is just useless :rolleyes:

GrangerHermione
January 4th, 2008, 4:00 am
Pens. Why can't we all just use quills? :D They're much cooler.

I like pens. I got a quill for Christmas and it is SO HARD TO USE!! It doesn't write very well, and you have to redip it constantly. I think the point is broken or something . . . :shrug:

I agree about the dog clothes. What is the point of that? :Hmm:

Oh, yeah! I saw this catalog with all sorts of pointless junk in it. Well, I guess it had a point, but it's really lame. There were these "leg lifters" for people that need help lifting their legs onto a footsool . And this little device that helps people unbutton their buttons . . . lame, huh?

LBuccalo
January 5th, 2008, 4:44 pm
Oh, yeah! I saw this catalog with all sorts of pointless junk in it. Well, I guess it had a point, but it's really lame. There were these "leg lifters" for people that need help lifting their legs onto a footsool . And this little device that helps people unbutton their buttons . . . lame, huh?

Ha ha I saw that stuff! My mom gets so many catalogs and so have the dumbest stuff in them.

As far as dog clothes go, I think it depends. My mom has a little dachsund/chihuhua and it won't go outside in the cold unless it has a jacket or a sweater on. It sounds really stupid, and quite honestly it looks stupid too, but if you live in a really cold place and have a dog with not alot of hair clothes can be useful.

AndrewWiggin
January 6th, 2008, 12:08 am
That's gotta be soap. I mean, nobody uses it anyway:P

8m57w6
January 6th, 2008, 12:29 am
Well to look at it from a different perspective, pretty much everything is unnecessary. I mean people got along fine without most everything we have today for thousands of years, didn't they? But that's another conversation for another time. ;)

We get those catalogues with really pointless things, too, but some of them are really hilariously pointless. Like one had a stack of rocks that cost $70, just to make your home feel more "zen" or something along those lines. Why don't I just go in my backyard with some superglue??

Elfrida_Cragg
January 8th, 2008, 3:37 am
Guns/Bombs and stuff that can only cause harm to people. Pointless pointless POINTLESS!!!
My opinion.

Taterpeel
January 8th, 2008, 5:33 am
Books.

Just kidding!

Artemis_Fowl_2
January 8th, 2008, 11:26 pm
I agree with the pet clothes. And, even worse than that I think, are cat wigs. Someone just gave me a link to a site where you can buy wigs for your cats for $50. Unbelievable!

Here's the link: http://www.kittywigs.com/index.html

witchygurl
January 8th, 2008, 11:32 pm
this is a funny thread...
i have to agree about the dog clothes--dogs and cats honestly look much cuter in their birthday suits
im sure ill think of somthing else.

LeGoogelGuRu
January 9th, 2008, 2:38 am
I agree with the pet clothes. And, even worse than that I think, are cat wigs. Someone just gave me a link to a site where you can buy wigs for your cats for $50. Unbelievable!

I have to second that.

sllagnire
January 9th, 2008, 3:10 am

That is probably the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of.

Marche
January 10th, 2008, 8:57 am
Ugh, yeah, I'd have to agree with pet clothes. Why would you need to dress your pet? What a waste of money. And yeah... The cat wig thing. That is ridiculous.

imacheeto
January 26th, 2008, 4:48 pm
Sorry for the long title, but I think it's sort of an interesting question, if it hasn't been a thread already, so -insert sorry message-. But for me it would probrably be dog/cat clothes. They are irritating for the dogs, and provide them with almost 0 benefits.
Yeah, pet clothes are COMPLETELY useless.

Wab
January 26th, 2008, 5:05 pm
People clothes. Especially fashions by which people express their "individuality" by wearing what they are told is in this season. But clothes generally. (I live in a benign climate.)

And specific appliances. Popcorn poppers, hotdog cookers etc.

AchelRay
January 26th, 2008, 11:17 pm

Oh my goodness gracious...:lol:

Quesadilla makers... come on... Who can't put a tortilla in the microwave or toaster oven? Or even the regular oven?

gipro2003
January 27th, 2008, 2:23 am
Sporks, u know those half spoon half fork things. They are totally useless since we already have individual forks and spoons. And the fork part doesnt even work that well.

And i agree about the pet clothes as well, and especially the cat wigs. that is ridiculous

crookshanks16
February 17th, 2008, 3:06 am
I'd say a shoe horn. Why do you need one? Why are people so lazy that they can't bend down to put their shoes on?

Wab
February 17th, 2008, 4:26 am
Shoe horns were invented to protect the back of the shoe from being crushed by the heel when people put their foot in.

Hysteria
February 17th, 2008, 6:46 am
Macdonalds? Ummmm I don't know. Personally I'd say make-up. What's wrong with looking like yourself?

Corvus
February 18th, 2008, 11:43 am
Personally I'd say make-up. What's wrong with looking like yourself?

That reminds me of a joke i heard the other day (and ladies don't take offence :D ): Why do women use makeup and perfume? -because they're ugly and they smell bad.

Heh..?
*cough* The most useless piece of equipment is the little belt thingie that you put on you and then it shaked your stomach and you were supposed to... I don't remember was it supposed to make you lose weight or tone your muscles, but anyway

gipro2003
February 18th, 2008, 12:23 pm
Macdonalds? Ummmm I don't know. Personally I'd say make-up. What's wrong with looking like yourself?

McDonald's helps me pay for college- not totally unnecessary i think

Agree 100% with make-up though. I never wear make-up. its sad that women think so low of themselves that they wont leave the house without it. Disappointing really

Hysteria
February 18th, 2008, 3:25 pm
Bag bags. My sister got an expensive handbag for Christmas and it came with a bag to keep it in. Made my day.

MaWeasley
February 18th, 2008, 3:45 pm
What a fun thread! Although I have to say some of us are being short-sighted. Shoe horns and leg lifters and button helpers might seem useless when you are young and able-bodied, but they can be lifesavers for older folks or those with mobility issues.

I guess I think one of the most useless things ever produced (and let me admit right now I actually own one) is the face parts that you can nail onto trees to make them look like tree people. Mine is Santa and has two eyes and a little white beard. Totally useless, but it does make me laugh whenever I see it.

Wab
February 19th, 2008, 12:48 am
Tol (http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/entrepreneur/article3376374.ece?token=null&offset=0) has a list of pointless, overpriced and wasteful products.

Mad_Druid
February 19th, 2008, 4:54 am
Bag bags. My sister got an expensive handbag for Christmas and it came with a bag to keep it in. Made my day.

:lol: That's like the Suede Briefcase Case from The Simpsons.

'Night vision goggles? A bathroom scale from a soviet sub? A suede briefcase case? Anyone who needs this kind of status symbol must have some terrible emotional problems'

Klio
February 19th, 2008, 5:15 pm
bottled water!

This is the worst example of making people feel that they need something, and pay pretty big money for it, which they can get (almost) free from a tap.

On top of that, it wastes tons of plastic, the water that could come to you (virtually carbon neutrally!) in a pipe gets carted around. People have even falling for the advertising to an extent that they go through the chore of carrying the stuff home, when it gets delivered to thwir kitchen through the tap! How daft is that?

Ultimately - so much money goes into the bottled water trade that we could have used the same money to give good, drinkable tap water to virtually the whole world.

This is something that really bugs me EVERY day.

Worst example how advertising makes most of us buy useless stuff that actually makes more work and more waste for very little actual benefit..... Really shocking.

LoveWeasleys
February 19th, 2008, 5:23 pm
This isn't a product, but the Letter "Q" in the English Alphabet is completely unnecessary. Every word that you find the "Q" in can be substituted with a "KW"

Quick could be Kwick, Quiz could be Kwiz etc. :lol:

Nessa_Fefalas
February 19th, 2008, 10:32 pm
The 'eject' button on a remote control.

bottled water!

This is the worst example of making people feel that they need something, and pay pretty big money for it, which they can get (almost) free from a tap.

On top of that, it wastes tons of plastic, the water that could come to you (virtually carbon neutrally!) in a pipe gets carted around. People have even falling for the advertising to an extent that they go through the chore of carrying the stuff home, when it gets delivered to thwir kitchen through the tap! How daft is that?

Ultimately - so much money goes into the bottled water trade that we could have used the same money to give good, drinkable tap water to virtually the whole world.

This is something that really bugs me EVERY day.

Worst example how advertising makes most of us buy useless stuff that actually makes more work and more waste for very little actual benefit..... Really shocking.

I agree 100%. Tap water is generally more healthy, anyway.

February 19th, 2008, 10:42 pm

i totally agree!!!! what is it with make-up, i mean why cover yourself up???? I don't get it :lol:

sllagnire
February 21st, 2008, 1:50 am
The 'eject' button on a remote control.

I titally agree!! What is the point of being able to open up the dvd drive from your seat if you still have to get up to get it? Doesn't make sense to me at all.

snowytheduhawk
March 4th, 2008, 8:31 am
the iphone. i laugh at all the commercials and think "the iphone: compensating for the self-centered and unsocialized one day at a time."

goldfishmasacre
March 19th, 2008, 2:18 am
I definitly agree with the animal clothing, the makeup, and the bottled water and such, but I'd have to say that the most unneccessary product ever invented would be soap on a rope. why on earth would you need your soap connected to a rope? It's positively useless!!!

doeeyes8
April 29th, 2008, 10:26 am
I think the most unnecessary product ever invented were robots.

PureBloodGirl
April 30th, 2008, 10:34 pm
Fast food places. They are disgusting, unhealthy, greesey, and fatning. The most hated by me is McDonalds.

YellowPoofBall
May 27th, 2008, 10:35 pm
I just saw a commercial for HD glasses. "Just like high definition TV!" :lol: yeah, because real life is too low res...

Sarahx
May 27th, 2008, 11:25 pm
Fake Tan.
WHY do you want to make yourself look orange and streaky? No matter how hard you try... you will never look as good as they do on the adverts.

I agree with bottled water too, it annoys me when people go to a drinks machine and buy the water. If you desperately want non-tap water, go outside and lick it up from a puddle!
Only joking.

Lip Liner.
Maybe this is because I can't put it on. You look like a clown, lets face it.

This isn't really a product but Algebra. What saddo sat there and made up algebra to torture children with for the rest of eternity. Most people don't even use it anyway, what a waste of time.

Bubble Wrap.
I know it protects thing, but it's such a waste. All that plastic, which will only get popped and chucked away. Surely they can find something else that isn't as wasteful. We got a new mirror today covered in it and all I could do was jump around on it. I suppose it is necessary for fun reasons. :]

And last but not least...
HAIR EXTENSIONS.
For the love of God, get rid of them. They are amazingly disgusting. You look like a fake rat and unless you get them done properly you will always look stupid. I actually hate them. When I see a girl walking along with an obvious seperation of colour and texture, I just want to turn around and laugh at them. And when they tie their hair back... their real hair sticks through. I mean... what's with that?

TypeZero
June 1st, 2008, 7:55 am
Replica weapons.
They're pretty and you stick the on a wall. Problems is, that's all they're good for. Just buy the real thing and stick it on the wall. Makes more sense.

Less bloodthirsty...

The Spaghetti Mop
Honestly the most useless invention ever. You take it, dip it in water and spread the water over the floor. Dip it again. Repeat. All it does is spread the dirt uniformly over the floor.

The Bath
Wonderful idea, except that you're sitting in dirty bath-water when you're done. Kinda defeats the point.

Wab
June 1st, 2008, 9:11 am
I titally agree!! What is the point of being able to open up the dvd drive from your seat if you still have to get up to get it? Doesn't make sense to me at all.

Makes sense if you have a skipping disc. Sometimes opening and closing the drawer sorts the problem.

2bornot2b
June 4th, 2008, 3:32 am
spam

FurryDice
June 5th, 2008, 8:01 pm
Apart from the dog clothes, egg slicers. I've already got one, it's called a knife.

PureBloodGirl
June 6th, 2008, 2:54 am
My dad thinks cell-phones are the most unneccessary products every created.

RebeccaMatthews
June 6th, 2008, 3:43 am
Fake nails. They are only good if you want to have something uniformish. Otherwise they get in the way.

Low cut tops and those really low skirts that girls pull out in the summer. It annoys me like crazy. It looks really dirty.

sirius_lee_G
June 8th, 2008, 2:59 am
I saw a random commercial for this remote control grabbing thing...... why?????????????????????????????????

And hahah I saw this one ad that gives you lights like these big flashlights attached to you glasses... Would you like to be caugt in those?

PotterFanDuh
April 24th, 2010, 7:23 am
Fast food, after "Super Size Me" I shudder at the sight of McDonald's. (That movie saved my life.) It's gross and fattening and the whole place is germ-filled and greasy. Eww. I'd take fruit and veggies any day, even though I'm not a huge veggie fan, it's better than fast food.

Also, for me the Smooth Away hair removal thing. Seriously! It took me like fifteen minutes just to rub, rub, rub, and (practically) SCRAPE my right shin "smooth." Bottom line, it didn't work. Shaving is so much more efficient!

MinervasCat
April 24th, 2010, 5:06 pm
Pet rocks.

Need I say more?

Melissa_Potter
April 27th, 2010, 8:18 am
I once saw an ad for a battery-operated marshmallow rotation device. In other words, a metal handle with prongs that you stick a marshmallow on, you hold it over the campfire, press a button on the handle, and it rotates to heat the marshmallow(s) for you. Are they serious? xD! Are people so lazy nowadays that they can't summon the energy to put a marshmallow on a stick and turn their wrist?

Blu-Ray DVDs: *hides before someone gets the tomato cannon* Honestly, DVDs are clear enough. Why would you need even MORE sharpness? I don't think being able to see the actor's pores really enhances my T.V viewing experience.
I HATE this current Blu Ray marketing trend. They're more expensive, so companies are putting more special features on the Blu while leaving pitiful special features on the regular DVD, trying to get you to start buying. To me, Blu Ray is nothing more than an expensive luxury.

The iPhone (or current cellphone capabilities): Like BluRay, it's an expensive luxury that you just really don't need. It's a phone. You use it to call people to talk to them. Don't me started anymore besides that, or else I'm going to go on a huge rant :yuhup:

LordVoldkins
April 28th, 2010, 1:34 am
The internet... JK!
A Battery operated wheelchair... Are you for real? might as well get a leg powered wheelchair...

snugglepot
April 28th, 2010, 2:06 am
Cigarettes!
The grossest, most foul smelling, cancer-causing, useless things ever!

Tiberius
April 28th, 2010, 2:53 am
This isn't a product, but the Letter "Q" in the English Alphabet is completely unnecessary. Every word that you find the "Q" in can be substituted with a "KW"

Quick could be Kwick, Quiz could be Kwiz etc. :lol:

I agree completely. And on an unrelated note, I always wanted to be an oceanographer, like Jakwes Cousteau.

Bottled water is one that I think is pointless. I mean, it costs more than petrol, for crying out loud!

BTW, I find algebra very useful.

Hysteria
April 28th, 2010, 4:24 am
I agree with Tibs, algebra can be extremely useful (and I really enjoyed it when I was in high school).

Least useful IMO would be cigarettes and designer brands that charge something like $300 for a pair of jeans. No piece of denim is worth that much.

LindaZhu
April 28th, 2010, 7:14 pm
the ShamWow. but i like this parody:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMMxIAn_76g

and this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUbWjIKxrrs

Clockworthy
April 29th, 2010, 1:51 am
Blu-Ray DVDs: *hides before someone gets the tomato cannon* Honestly, DVDs are clear enough. Why would you need even MORE sharpness? I don't think being able to see the actor's pores really enhances my T.V viewing experience.
I HATE this current Blu Ray marketing trend. They're more expensive, so companies are putting more special features on the Blu while leaving pitiful special features on the regular DVD, trying to get you to start buying. To me, Blu Ray is nothing more than an expensive luxury.

I agree. Blu-Ray itself is sharper than my vision with glasses, and everything moves so fluidly, much more so than real life. It's pretty, but headache-inducing.

ALX2112
April 29th, 2010, 3:24 am
I just saw a commercial for HD glasses. "Just like high definition TV!" :lol: yeah, because real life is too low res...

I think this one takes the cake.

momof3muggles
April 29th, 2010, 2:33 pm
Pretty much anything that's As Seen On TV. The few times I've succumbed to purchasing anything I have always been disappointed. The quality sucks, they NEVER work, and I'm out 10-20 dollars for a piece of plastic **** that pretty much gets tossed in the trash.

Bottled water, definitely. How hard is it to buy a thermos and fill it?

DVD's for cars. Can't kids go anywhere without watching tv or a movie? Heaven forbid they actually look around at the scenery or **shudder** talk to their parents. (I mostly blame the parents who buy these however) I bet most kids can't even get around in their own towns because they have no idea what the outside world looks like.

LordVoldkins
April 29th, 2010, 4:38 pm
I have one in the van and i don't watch it... Except when were going to T.J.

momof3muggles
April 30th, 2010, 1:53 am
I have one in the van and i don't watch it... Except when were going to T.J.

Okay, I can see a DVD player for long trips, but many of my kids friends will turn it on to go 10 minutes. For us, the car is the one tv-free place, as even a lot of restaurants have tv's now.

ElliPhoenix
May 16th, 2010, 7:32 pm
The most unneccessary product ever.. hmm guess i have to say the e-reader.. terrible thing, i love books on paper

xhanax315
May 21st, 2010, 5:59 am
The most unneccessary product ever.. hmm guess i have to say the e-reader.. terrible thing, i love books on paper
Me too, even though I hate the destruction of trees. :shrug:

Anyhow, I would have to say anything twilight related. :rolleyes: I hate the fact that poor trees were wasted in publishing that horrid series, but I have to say the most unnecessary product would be the wedding ring created based on the ring in twilight movie. :rolleyes: It's really pathetic and sad. :no:

MC2456
June 21st, 2011, 1:12 pm
Whipped cream. It just adds to the calories in the ice cream or the drink. It's so annoying, because you have to eat a whole mound of whipped cream before eating the ice cream. And frankly, most whipped cream taste horrible. I guess it's to take up space in the food, to make it look like there's a lot of ice cream when half of it is just whipped cream.

Wab
June 24th, 2011, 2:18 pm
The internet... JK!
A Battery operated wheelchair... Are you for real? might as well get a leg powered wheelchair...

Power wheelchairs are vital for tetra and quadraplegics.

merrymarge
June 29th, 2011, 2:18 am
Whipped cream. It just adds to the calories in the ice cream or the drink. It's so annoying, because you have to eat a whole mound of whipped cream before eating the ice cream. And frankly, most whipped cream taste horrible. I guess it's to take up space in the food, to make it look like there's a lot of ice cream when half of it is just whipped cream.

I guess you never had real whipped cream made from real heavy cream. it's different from Reddi-Whip and Cool Whip.

JamesRavenclaw
June 29th, 2011, 4:11 am
Alright I will say it Uncrustables I eat them yes they taste fine but....WHAT IS WRONG WITH JUST CUTTING THE CRUST OFF A SANDWICH? When did we get so lazy that we couldn't find the time to pick up a knife and cut the crust off seriously folks common!

Tiberius
June 30th, 2011, 12:19 am

When you are fifty pages from the end of a book and are about to start on a sequel, and don't have room to pack them both in your suitcase, what are you going to do? Take the first book, read the last fifty pages in the first hour of a nine hour flight and then have nothing left to do, or take the sequel and get spoilers for the last bit of the first book?

With an e-reader you can take both, not worrying about how much space it takes up.

horcrux4
July 3rd, 2011, 5:23 pm
Garden gnomes. The point is?

JamesRavenclaw
July 7th, 2011, 12:34 am
The internet... JK!

As a man who uses a wheelchair I approve of this. You know I was on my way back from the doctors one afternoon and ran into a guy with one of those battery operated ones and the damn thing had gone dead on him! The man has no legs it can we say need a longer battery life at least I mean what is he supposed to do now?

ManglePuppets
July 7th, 2011, 5:27 am
Yodeling Toilets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibKD205tkIk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibKD205tkIk (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibKD205tkIk)