Which Tale of Beedle the Bard did You Like Most/Least?

Alastor
December 8th, 2008, 2:22 pm
At public request. :)

Lucybird
December 8th, 2008, 6:44 pm
I liked The fountain of fair fortune best, maybe because I think it's most like one of our own fairytales.

I liked Babitty Rabbitty the least. Not sure why, I just didn't see much substance in it I think, and I prefered the notes for it more than the actual story

xhanax315
December 8th, 2008, 8:21 pm
Babbity Rabbity and her Cackling Stump just didn't suit me. :shrug: I loved the Warlock's Hairy Heart and the Tale of the Three Brothers. :tu:

gertiekeddle
December 8th, 2008, 8:29 pm
I liked The fountain of fair fortune best, maybe because I think it's most like one of our own fairytales.

I liked Babitty Rabbitty the least. Not sure why, I just didn't see much substance in it I think, and I prefered the notes for it more than the actual storySame here and also for the same reasons. Don't think there was any story I didn't like, though, but my preferences are rather clear. :)

JJFinch
December 8th, 2008, 8:34 pm
Fountain of Fair Fortune the most and Babbity Rabbity least (despite the amazing name).

GinnyIsGenius
December 8th, 2008, 9:48 pm
I still debating between The Fountain of Fair Fortune and The Warlock's Hairy Heart as my favorite. :hmm: They are both so good and yet so different, I can't seem to pick one.

My least favorite was Babbitty Rabbitty, though I even quite enjoyed it. I enjoyed the Gilderoy Lockhart-ness of the King and the Babbitty cackling over his foolishness. :elaugh: And to be fair, Jo had no idea she was going to be writing a story when she came up with this absurd title when writing DH. :lol: So, that's must have been a feat.

AurorHealer
December 8th, 2008, 9:53 pm
I enjoyed all of them but for the one I enjoyed the most... it's a toss up between The Tale of the Three Brothers & The Warlock's Hairy Heart.

Like most, I probably liked Babbity Rabbity and Her Cackling Stump the least. I thought it was a good story, but it didn't really stick with me as much as the others. I also really liked The Wizard and the Hopping Pot... not very many seem to have enjoyed that one though.

Voldemorts8thHorcrux
December 8th, 2008, 9:55 pm
hmm...I kind of liked Babbity Rabbit and the Cackling Stump. It wasn't my favorite, but it was an amusing story :p.

My favorites were Tale of Three Brothers and The Warlock's Hairy Heart

KlausBaudelaire
December 8th, 2008, 10:39 pm
I loved the Warlock's Hairy Heart.
I couldn't care less of the Hopping Pot, though.

jordmundt6
December 8th, 2008, 10:52 pm
It was tough to take Babitty seriously. I probably still liked The Three Brothers best. The Fountain of Fair Fortune was good (and matches most closely to Muggle fairy tales--though I've read and seen films of muggle versions of The Three Brothers). The Warlock's Hairy Heart was well-done, but frankly I was a little surprised to see Poe elements mixed into CHILDREN'S tales. Albus' commentary was the best part, I think--particularly his scathing commentary on what was it, again? The Toadstool Tales? Is that what they called the Victorian reworking of the Bard's offerings?;)

I actually liked The Hopping Pot--it was as close as she'd wander to an Aesop's fable and it worked pretty well.

Jessica
December 8th, 2008, 10:52 pm
:lol: Apparently it's just me on Babbity.

Murzim
December 9th, 2008, 12:06 am
I can't vote yet. On my first read I liked The Wizard and the Hopping Pot least, on my second I liked it best.
So I'll wait and let the book sink in ;)

Voldemorts8thHorcrux
December 9th, 2008, 1:13 am
better than the score for the hopping pot :p

xhanax315
December 9th, 2008, 1:37 am
hmm...I kind of liked Babbity Rabbit and the Cackling Stump. It wasn't my favorite, but it was an amusing story :p.

My favorites were Tale of Three Brothers and The Warlock's Hairy Heart

Yes, it was amusing, but not my favorite either. The Tale of the Three Brothers is also my favorites. :D

It was tough to take Babitty seriously. I probably still liked The Three Brothers best. The Fountain of Fair Fortune was good (and matches most closely to Muggle fairy tales--though I've read and seen films of muggle versions of The Three Brothers). The Warlock's Hairy Heart was well-done, but frankly I was a little surprised to see Poe elements mixed into CHILDREN'S tales. Albus' commentary was the best part, I think--particularly his scathing commentary on what was it, again? The Toadstool Tales? Is that what they called the Victorian reworking of the Bard's offerings?;)

I actually liked The Hopping Pot--it was as close as she'd wander to an Aesop's fable and it worked pretty well.

I think that's why I enjoyed The Warlock's Hairy Heart so much, because of the obvious Poe elements that were involved. As I had mentioned on its own thread, it had reminded me a lot of The Tell-Tale Heart. :love:

Mad_Druid
December 9th, 2008, 1:48 am
I enjoyed The Fountain of Fair Fortune and The Warlock's Hairy Heart the most. Babbitty came last for me.

vampiricduck
December 9th, 2008, 1:54 am
Just a small observation. I just voted, and it's unusual that those of us who voted for Most: Fountain of Fair Fortune, also mostly voted Least: Babbity Rabbity and Her Cackling Stump.

Funny dynamic. I wonder why that happened?

BublGumPnkHar
December 9th, 2008, 3:05 pm
I loved the Fountain of Fair Fortune, and liked The Warlock's Hairy Heart the least. This is like trying to rate the books, it's all relative to the material offered for comparison.

We did find out Jo's definition of a Warlock, which I had been wondering about. :D

LadyLucious
December 9th, 2008, 3:17 pm
I love The Fountain of Fair Fortune & The Tale of Three Brothers :)
Babbitty Rabbitty and her Cackling Stump is my least favourite.

Pearl_Took
December 9th, 2008, 3:41 pm
I enjoyed The Fountain of Fair Fortune and The Warlock's Hairy Heart the most.

So did I. :)

The first one is so enchanting and hopeful and humane. :)

The second one is so wonderfully gothic and chilling. :D

Lucybird
December 9th, 2008, 4:20 pm
I don't think The Warlock's Hairy Heart was un-fairytaleish, it actually reminded me a lot of the orginal Grimm's fairytales, they're pretty gruesome (like the ugly sister's cutting off their heals in Cinderella to try to get their feet to fit in the shoe)

AurorHealer
December 9th, 2008, 5:36 pm
I don't think The Warlock's Hairy Heart was un-fairytaleish, it actually reminded me a lot of the orginal Grimm's fairytales, they're pretty gruesome (like the ugly sister's cutting off their heals in Cinderella to try to get their feet to fit in the shoe)
Yeah! I had no idea that Grimm's fairytales were like that! We are talking about the ideas of remakes of films or book adaptations & the rhetorical devices used in them... blah blah. But we started talking about how many times the various animated Disney film's have been remade, which led us to the subject of Grimm's fairytales. MY GOD.. I had no idea they were so gruesome. I mean I love a good gruesome story, but I thought the part about the heels was incredibly nasty.

PureBloodGirl
December 9th, 2008, 9:17 pm
I loved the Fountain of Fair Fortune the most. It was beautiful and just an amazing story. The best in the book. My least favorite was The Wizard and the Hopping Pot. I don't know why, but I just don't like it very much. It didn't catch my attention as well as the others.

Jack5555
December 10th, 2008, 1:37 am
:lol: Apparently it's just me on Babbity.
I liked Babbity, but 3 Bros was my fav. Hopping Pot was my least fav, but I liked all of them a lot just because they are from HP:p

Voldemorts8thHorcrux
December 10th, 2008, 1:39 am
Just wondering, but why do so many people dislike Babbity? I kind of liked it. It wasn't my favorite, but it wasn't that bad

Jack5555
December 10th, 2008, 3:42 am
Just wondering, but why do so many people dislike Babbity? I kind of liked it. It wasn't my favorite, but it wasn't that bad
I know! Hopping Pot was defiantly my least favorite. I loved in Babbity when the guy made the king jump around with a twig!:lol:

hermy_weasley2
December 10th, 2008, 5:07 pm
I liked The Fountain of Fair Fortune the best. I like the devices of the mountains, the river, etc. And I know it was short, but I liked the characters the best. I would've liked to see the Hogwarts pantomime.

I didn't have a least favorite one. The Warlock's Hairy Heart grossed me out in a good way that Beatrix Bloxom shouldn't try to fix.

PureBloodGirl
December 10th, 2008, 8:25 pm
People don't like Babbity? That's one of my favorites! Come on people, what's so bad about Babbity? It's a wonderful story!

Voldemorts8thHorcrux
December 10th, 2008, 10:19 pm
I know! It was only a tiny bit behind my favorites, it's my third fav, defintiely.

Mad_Druid
December 11th, 2008, 2:32 am
My least favourite one has changed, and is now The Wizard and the Hopping Pot. I didn't mind it at first but now I just find it...blah.

IenjoyAcidPops
December 11th, 2008, 4:46 am
The Tale of the Three Brothers is probably my favorite, 'though The Fountain of Fair Fortune is pretty close. Least favorite is probably Babbitty Rabbitty and Her Cackling Stump, 'though I didn't dislike any of them.

Spirit
December 11th, 2008, 4:48 am
Favorite: The Fountain of Fair Fortune. Wonderful message.

Least favorite: The Wizard and the Hopping Pot. I don't know, it just seemed... strained to me.

Voldemorts8thHorcrux
December 11th, 2008, 9:29 pm
by the way, which one do you guys think is the most fairytalish? I kind of am torn between them, but Hopping Pot was still cute.

vampiricduck
December 12th, 2008, 2:31 am
I think that the Fountain of Fair Fortune was the most fairytale-ish, and very clever to boot, to answer V8's question.

I suppose that other than that, to answer the question about why babbity is also my least favourite, though I did not dislike it.. I think it's because it is based on a theme we know of- the animagus- and we know that they cannot talk,making it less mysterious to me overall. Also reminded me somewhat of the Emperor's New Clothes for some odd reason, even though the comparisons are relatively tiny..

Anhelda
December 12th, 2008, 2:35 am
I'm another "Fountain-phile" although it's a tough call, because I liked all the stories. In fact, I had to dodge the least favorite question bit, so I put that I couldn't care less about a least favorite one. The stories are all charming, witty, well-written, and (in the case of the Warlock) intense. I think Jo did a great job on these, and I wish she'd written more!

Mad_Druid
December 12th, 2008, 7:00 am
I agree that the Fountain of Fair Fortune is the most fairytale like, perhaps because magic isn't as prevalent in it.

crookshanks15
December 12th, 2008, 9:37 pm
I liked the Fountain too but its not my fav, I loved The Hairy Heart the most. Thats because Its really interesting and dark. Plus it reminds me of some of my favorite poems like the ones by Poe.
My least fav was the hopping pot, I dont really know why haha.

Liselle
December 13th, 2008, 6:35 pm
Its surprisingly hard to pick one I liked least - I went for the warlock's hairy heart though because the imagery freaked me out a little.

I still think Babbitty Rabbitty and her Cackling Stump and her cackling stump is just a hilarious title.

Lucybird
December 13th, 2008, 8:32 pm
:lol: I do too, but I didn't particully like the story

Voldemorts8thHorcrux
December 13th, 2008, 9:20 pm
I liked the story a lot, it just wasn't my favorite but it was by no means my least favorite either.why did you guys dislike it more than the others?

gertiekeddle
December 13th, 2008, 9:23 pm
I liked the story a lot, it just wasn't my favorite but it was by no means my least favorite either.why did you guys dislike it more than the others?I tried to figure that out for some days yet... the tale is lovable on the one hand, but on the other I found the others more to the point. The story was at one point getting too confuse to me. Not by much, though, the whole fairy tale style still makes it easy to follow. Just the other stories seem to be more straight forward to me. That's, on the other hand, maybe one reason why many readers like this story the most.

Voldemorts8thHorcrux
December 13th, 2008, 9:26 pm
That makes sense, but not according to the poll results :lol:

gertiekeddle
December 13th, 2008, 9:34 pm
To true. Then I was one of those not liking the Cackling Stump as much, and only trying to explain why. :lol: It actually was hard to pick one I don't like. JK did a good job with these tales I think and surprised me quite some much since I usually do not for particular enjoy reading those tales. It was easy to me to imagine that these stories really were read by 'wizards' of the world of JK Rowling, so that's a great achievement I think. To pick which story I might have liked most or least was not so important for me anymore the moment I realized that she really did a cool job from which I - firmly - didn't expect very much. It's in my opinion way better than Quidditch Through the Ages or Magical Beasts, which both seem to have needed to be longer or deeper to really make the imagination live. :)

firefly20angel
December 13th, 2008, 9:47 pm
I cannot choose one, I loved each story for all their quirks. I have to admit though, I enjoyed Dumbledore's commentary more than I did the actual tales...

Voldemorts8thHorcrux
December 13th, 2008, 10:07 pm
I loved Quidditch through the Ages and Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them as well but yeah, they definitely should've been longer :(. I really hope her encyclopedia will be much longer too. I can finally read and be able to stop in the middle so I won't be staying up to finish for once :lol:

Beav58
December 15th, 2008, 1:07 am
I actually loved Babbitty Rabbitty because it was the funniest to me. I disliked the Hopping Pot one because it was just dry. It had a good lesson, but that was all.

Liselle
December 15th, 2008, 10:04 pm
I think one of the reasons I disliked the Warlock's Hairy heart (to be honest even thinking of it is probably going to give me nightmares!) is that both the witch and warlock ended up dead. It's not like he really learnt his lesson did he? Or he did and it was too late - it just creeped me out.

Voldemorts8thHorcrux
December 15th, 2008, 10:29 pm
In a disney tale he would've ended up living happily ever after with the witch ;)

Liselle
December 16th, 2008, 1:22 pm
:lol: yes, I think maybe that's what I wanted! He learnt his lesson and saw the folly of his ways

Beatifically
December 23rd, 2008, 6:40 am
I liked Babbitty Rabbitty and her Cackling Stump the least, like many others. It is a good; I just didn't like it as much as the others. It didn't have as much of an obvious moral in the story. Dumbledore's notes didn't really mention any, if I remember correctly. His notes mostly mentioned that the story touched upon what magic is really like and animagus transformations.

On flip side, I loved The Tale of Three Brothers and The Fountain of Fair Fortune the most because they resembled fairy tales in our real world. It is easy to believe that they were fairy tales in the wizarding world.

Lucybird
December 23rd, 2008, 1:59 pm
On flip side, I loved The Tale of Three Brothers and The Fountain of Fair Fortune the most because they resembled fairy tales in our real world. It is easy to believe that they were fairy tales in the wizarding world.

I think that's why I liked the fountain of fair fortune best too, I could imagine reading them to my kids just as fairytales rather than as part of HP stuff

Murzim
December 24th, 2008, 12:16 pm
I really hope you'll tell us how children, who don't know Harry Potter like the tales :drool:

ArryGrotter
December 26th, 2008, 8:03 am
Loved Fountain of Fair Fourtune and Babbity Rabbity! :D

Rush
December 26th, 2008, 5:01 pm
I really enjoyed the Fountain of Fair Fortune the most. While I liked all of them in a different way, this one definitely stood out for me.

My least favourite was The Wizard and the Hopping Pot. I still liked it somewhat, but just not quite as much as the others.

clemxens
December 27th, 2008, 3:22 am
My favorites were: "The Fountain of Fair Fortune", "Babbity-Rabbity and the Cackling Stump", and "The Tale of the Three Brothers."

Fury
December 27th, 2008, 1:47 pm
My favorite was the Fountain of Fair Fortune. The story was just wonderful, and it had a nice moral to the story.

My least favorite was The Wizards Hairy Heart, though I also didn't care much for Babbity Rabbity, despite the name, which was pretty cool.

The Three Brothers was exactly like it was in Deathly Hallows (no surprise) so it was like reading it all over again.

Yoana
December 30th, 2008, 8:50 pm
Seems I'm one of only two who liked the Fountain of Fair Fortune least. Well, I didn't really like any of them all that much, but I thought that one of especially forced and un-fairy-ish. I liked Babbity Rabbity and Her Cackling Stump best (though I don't think the story fits the title very much) because it reminded me of actual tales the most, and because it had some level of entertainment. But in general, I think all of them are quite feeble.

Faustus
January 1st, 2009, 8:18 pm
I think that the Tale of the Three Brothers was most interesting to read because of its connection with the series but I think that the Wizard and the Hopping pot had one of the best massages and the Warlock’s Hairy Heart was wonderfully grim. It reminded me very much of one of Sir Edgar Allan Poe’s tales.

Voldemorts8thHorcrux
January 1st, 2009, 9:22 pm
Seems I'm one of only two who liked the Fountain of Fair Fortune least. Well, I didn't really like any of them all that much, but I thought that one of especially forced and un-fairy-ish. I liked Babbity Rabbity and Her Cackling Stump best (though I don't think the story fits the title very much) because it reminded me of actual tales the most, and because it had some level of entertainment. But in general, I think all of them are quite feeble.

oh really? you thought that was the most unfairytaleish? I personally think that it was one of the more fairy taleish and childish and clever ones.

RemusLupinFan
January 1st, 2009, 9:35 pm
My favorite was definitely The Fountain of Fair Fortune, followed closely by The Tale of the Three Brothers. I'm not really sure which one I liked the least - either Babbity Rabbity or The Warlock's Hairy Heart I suppose.

Yoana
January 2nd, 2009, 8:28 am
oh really? you thought that was the most unfairytaleish? I personally think that it was one of the more fairy taleish and childish and clever ones.

Yes, I can't pin why exactly, but it seemed very forced to me, and random in the sequence of events. It felt like narrative links were missing, and in a fairy tale, everything makes sense and is there for a reason. I'm sorry, I don't know much about fairy tales and therefore can't provide any legitimate reasons why it could be seen as not resembling a fairy tale much, it just felt false to me. I didn't enjoy reading it at all.

xFluerDelacourx
January 2nd, 2009, 6:05 pm
I really liked Fountian of Fair Fortune and Tale of the Three Brothers and I for some reason didn't really like Babbity Rabbity and the Cackling Stump.

mexicant
January 3rd, 2009, 10:55 am
Argh, I voted wrong! I meant to check "Fountain of Fair Fortune" and "Babbitty Rabbitty and her Cackling Stump" as my two favorites.

I couldn't help but like the Fountain of Fair Fortune - I'm a sucker for those happy endings.

vampiricduck
January 3rd, 2009, 3:21 pm
I couldn't help but like the Fountain of Fair Fortune - I'm a sucker for those happy endings.

Yes, same here. :D I just can't help it. I felt that that entire story was beautifully written and really well portrayed. The magical setting was just like any other fairytale and the ultimate accomplishments seen at the end were the deserving product after the pain and grievances suffered by the four.

Morning_Star
January 3rd, 2009, 4:17 pm
Most: The Fountain of Fair Fortune and The Warlocks Hairy Heart.
The Fountain was so sweet, I couldn't help liking it. :D
Fairy tales Hairy Hearts and other dark, creepy things are some of my favourites when it comes to muggle tales, too. :)

Least: Babbitty Rabbitty and her Cackling Stump. I had expected more of it, really. It wasn't bad, but the tale I liked least.

ArryGrotter
January 10th, 2009, 7:50 am

It's wasn't the happy ending that got me to love Fountain so much - it was finding out that there was no enchantment on it - that kind of "It's you who has the power" kind of moral :lol:

Lucybird
January 10th, 2009, 1:21 pm
It's wasn't the happy ending that got me to love Fountain so much - it was finding out that there was no enchantment on it - that kind of "It's you who has the power" kind of moral :lol:

yeah I liked that bit too. It's quite fairytaley. I can imagine it being encourages to young witches and wizards who have older siblings who are already allowed to do magic, it kind of says you don't need magic to be happy

Schlubalybub
January 15th, 2009, 3:02 pm

I liked Babitty Rabbitty the least. Not sure why, I just didn't see much substance in it I think, and I prefered the notes for it more than the actual story

Hah. Ditto! I always knew we were very alike, lucy!

I liked the Fountain of Fair Fortune best because I loved the ending, and to be honest, I didn't expect the ending that it had. Babbity Rabbity just seemed a bit strange, and I agree with lucybird that it had little substance in comparison to the others

Lucybird
January 15th, 2009, 3:45 pm
You're right, I didn't really expect that ending either. I kinda expected everyone to get what they wanted, but not for the fountain not to actually be magical

Schlubalybub
January 15th, 2009, 4:41 pm
I absolutely adored that ending! The thing is, it made complete sense. People have been doing similar things since forever

Lucybird
January 15th, 2009, 4:56 pm
Yes it did, it was a classic fairytale ending really.

Schlubalybub
January 15th, 2009, 5:36 pm
I did quite like the Warlock's Hairy Heart- gory just like the old fairytales :)

shaylee_ann
February 20th, 2009, 5:28 am
I was kind of surprised, but Tale of the Three Brothers was definitely my favorite. I think it teaches such a good lesson and I just loved the way it's written.

BrittoniWeasley
February 22nd, 2009, 4:17 am
Haha
I'm liking all these David Tennant sigs!

I'm kinda surprised that The Fountain of Fair Fortune is most liked! I didn't choose which I liked least, but if I had to, I'd proba--
Let's make a list!
The Tale of the Three Brothers
The Warlock's Hairy Heart
The Wizard and the Hopping Pot
The Fountain of Fair Fortune/Babbitty Rabbitty and her Cackling Stump (Not that I didn't like these! I liked all of them, but just these least:p)

I really, really loved the first two; they were like so intertwined with the series.

Oh, and did anyone find it very, very squee-worthy when Ron says Babbitty Rabbitty in DH?
Harry looked up, diverted. The circumstance of Ron having read a book that Hermione had not was unprecedented. Ron, however, looked bemused by their surprise.
"Oh come on! All the old kids' stories are supposed to be Beedle's aren't they? 'The Fountain of Fair Fortune' … 'The Wizard and the Hopping Pot'… 'Babbitty Rabbitty and her Cackling Stump'…"
"Excuse me?" said Hermione giggling. "What was the last one?"
"Come off it!" said Ron, looking in disbelief from Harry to Hermione. "You must've heard of Babbitty Rabbitty –"

I giggled lots :$*blush

romionefanatic
April 14th, 2009, 12:03 am
My order, favorite to least, goes like this:
1. The Tale of the Three Brothers(loved it!)
2. The Fountain of Fair Fortune(very similar to some of our fairy tales)
3. The Warlock's Hairy Heart(gruesome, but I thought it was actually pretty great)
4. The Wizard and the Hopping Pot(cute)
5. Babbity Rabbity and Her Cackling Stump(ok, but not near as kool as the others)

Kanksha
May 30th, 2009, 5:59 am
I voted The Warlock's Hairy Heart as my most favourite and least favourite as well. :lol:
I don't know what it is about the story, I can't tell whether it appeals to me or makes me squeamish but it totally intrigues me!
After the two traditional happy ending tales The Hopping Pot and Fair Fortune, I just wasn't expecting this. I was taken aback totally. Then I read it again and continued with the rest of the book but this one stayed in my head. Its freaky.

I also voted The Fountain of Fair Fortune as most-liked because aside from it being a very engaging tale, just imagining it as a play by the students of Hogwarts makes me gleeful. :D

The_Green_Woods
June 29th, 2009, 8:46 am
I voted for the Fountain of Fair Fortune, The Warlock with the Hairy heart and the Tale of the Three Brothers as most liked. I did not like the other 2 as much as these 3.

ally_xx
June 30th, 2009, 12:46 am
I loved them all! I thought they were all fantastic!! :D

lisalucy
August 3rd, 2009, 11:28 pm
I LOVE the Tale of Three Brothers!! The Fountain of Fair Fortune is my second favorite.
Ugh!! I shudder at the thought of the Warlocks Hairy Heart!! It gives me the chills!

bookworm13
August 4th, 2009, 2:57 pm
The Warlock's Hairy Heart and Babbitty Rabbitty were my two favorites. The Wizard's Hopping Pot was my least favorite; I just didn't enjoy reading it that much.

OrangeMoon
August 17th, 2009, 5:45 pm
I like them all in general, because I couldn't pick one I didn't enjoy (I include Dumbledore's notes in my ratings).

But if I were to choose a least favourite, it would have to be Babbity Rabbity and her Cackling Stump. I guess this is what happens when I expect too much from what the story may be, especially since the first three were, imo really good; the order for me would be: 1. The Fountain of Fair Fortune, 2. The Warlock's Hairy Heart, 3. The Wizard and the Hopping Pot.

When I read Ron, Harry and Hermione discussing about the book, like, Hermione (or Harry or both, :lol: I don't remember), I found the title Babbity Rabbity and her Cackling Stump very amusing. I guess it turned into my least favourite when it is a rather simple story that is similar to another story I've read a long time ago.

The story I like most would have to be The Fountain of Fair Fortune.. I just like it when people on quests help each other, and they get happy endings in the end, plus the fact that they didn't at all fight for what they thought was powerfully magical. Very heartwarming.

..and although I've voted for The Tale of the Three Brothers as well for one of my most favourites, I can't really place it above FoFF because to me, that tale is a part of Deathly Hallows. Furthermore, it feels more like a legend (well, it is) than just a tale although the moral and lesson behind the story is the best between all five tales from Beedle the Bard.

Oh yes. I also liked how the heart of the warlock turned hairy, how it is depicted that his once pure heart that could have been loving turned into a ferocious beast because he chose to lock it away and finally, how he cleaned up his own mess (although it might be due more to ego :yuhup:)

bellatrix93
March 19th, 2010, 7:10 am
My favourite would be The Tale of the Three Brothers and The fountaine of Fair Fortune.

My least favourite was The Warlock's Hairy Heart. I didn't like it at all, actually. Though, I enjoyed Dumbledore's comments.

And I can't remember what Babbity Rabbity and her Cackling Stump, was about? :hmm:. Maybe I should pick up the book again..

CurseCruciatus
March 19th, 2010, 2:08 pm
My list from most to least liked:
The Tale of the Three Brothers
The Fountain of Fair Fortune
The Warlock's Hairy Heart
Babbity Rabbity and her Cackling Stump
The Wizard and the Hopping Pot

firewitch08
March 31st, 2010, 12:23 am
I actually really liked Babbity Rabbity. I also voted for The Fountain of Fair Fortune. I don't really have a least favorite, however because The Tale of the Three Brothers was already in DH, I was least interested. By the time the book came out, I could recite the whole story myself.
Out of all of DD notes, I liked the The Wizard and the Hopping Pot. Got to love the Malfoys.

MC2456
May 12th, 2010, 12:33 pm
Wow, loads of people seem to like The Fountain of Fair Fortune. Here's mine:
1) Fountain of Fair Fortune
2) Babbity Rabbity and her Cackling Stump (It reads like the Emperor's New Clothes)
3) The Wizard and the Hopping Pot AND the Warlock's Hairy Heart
4) Three Brothers

captain Sparrow
May 18th, 2010, 10:06 am
Most, I liked the Fountain of Fair Fortune. The second best for me was the Tale of the Tree Brothers. The ones I liked least were the Warlock's Hairy Heart and the Wizard and the Hopping Pot.

ProtegoTotalum
July 4th, 2010, 8:32 pm
My favourites were The Fountain of Fair Fortune, Warlock's Hairy Heart, and The Tale of the Three Brothers. I can't choose one above the others. Fountain is just...pretty, I suppose, is the word that comes to mind. I love the end, discovering the fountain wasn't magical at all. TWHH is just so pleasingly chilling, and...somewhat relatable, in all honesty. Not that I'd ever rip out my heart and eat my lover's >.> but I can very easily imagine why a person would choose not to make a fool of themselves by falling in love. I also adore the connection it makes to Horcruxes. And, of course, the Three Brothers is just...the Three Brothers. I love everything about it, the discussions and thoughts on which Hallow to choose, the idea of being rewarded for outsmarting Death, as Ignotus was...

My least favourite was The Wizard and the Hopping Pot. I don't know why--it just didn't bode well with me. Though I did love the thing about the Toadstool Tales...
I find it interesting that most people didn't like Babbity Rabbity...it almost was on my list of favourites. I like that it was possibly based on the "true" story of Lisette du Lapin...I don't know, stuff like that interests me for some reason.

Snapelives
July 17th, 2010, 11:50 pm
I prefer Babbity Rabbity. I find it has a more intriguing storyline then most of the others, and isn't based along love and happiness. I do not like the Warlock's hairy heart because the subject matter is so gruesome.

PeverellWand
January 31st, 2011, 1:59 am
I'm going to go against the norm here and say the Babbity Rabbity and her Cackling Stump is my favorite. I thought it was the most interesting, because it was as Dumbledore says in his comments, "the most 'realistic'" I thought that the fact that it showed the limits of magic and followed the "rules" of magic that JKR set up (aside from talking Animagi) made up for its slightly less interesting storyline.
I didn't really like The Wizard and the Hopping Pot that much, because it was 'controversial' as Dumbledore said.(You know, I think I payed more attention to Dumbledore's commentary on the stories than the stories themselves) I liked the ones that showed more concrete morals. I mean, yeah, helping people is good, but Dumbledore's comments ruined it for me.
Basically, I based what stories I liked on Dumbledore's commentary, not the stories.

Lisl_Loveheart
April 14th, 2011, 9:18 am
"The Wizard and The Hopping Pot" is my favorite because it holds an important lesson for muggle children too: we are here to help each other with the talents we have. That is my motto and I love how the story helped me teach that to my daughter.
"The Warlock's Hairy Heart" is a very good story (for adults) but I didn't find it fitting for my 7 year-old daughter yet. I think the final scene is very strong. As far as the meaning and philosophical questions go it's a wonderful tale, but it's the one I read the least.

kmhm
May 12th, 2011, 3:23 am
Oddly, my favorite was The Warlock's Hair Heart. I thought it was deep, I was surprised to read it, at first actually. But it's what happens when people feel to secure that they forget what it's like to love.

My least would have to be The Wizard and the Hopping Pot. It was too common. And I think the wizard just helped them because he was scared of the pot.

I am very dense, okay.

Grainne_Mima
May 26th, 2011, 2:59 pm
i liked the fountain of fair fortune and the tale of the three brothers equally my least favorite has to be warlocks hairy heart

horcrux4
May 31st, 2011, 3:07 am
My actual favourite was the Toadstool Tales quote, but since that's not one of Beedle's tales:
I liked 3 Tale of the Three Brothers best; I thought it had the most substance.

I didn't like the Warlock's Hairy Heart much. I think it was the hairiness I disliked!

Dobson
June 2nd, 2011, 9:03 pm
I love The Tale of the Three Brothers. That has to be my favorite, for several reasons. It's very interesting how all of Beedle's Tales have morals/themes/whatever you want to call them and yet 3 Brothers doesn't. (Hopping pot: Help people and you'll be rewarded, if you don't, then bad things will happen; Fountain: You have to appreciate what you have in life, not what you could have; Hairy Heart: This one isn't quite as clear, but I would say it's something like "Don't rush into things that you aren't willing to do, don't be greedy", etc..; Babbity: Don't be foolish.)

Now, for 3 Brothers, what is the theme? I know Ron said in DH (paraphrased) "Don't meddle with things that you don't need to worry about..." things like that. But I don't think that accurately represents what it's trying to tell you. The Brothers weren't necessarily meddling in things that weren't their buisness, because who wouldn't accept gifts like that? It was completely their buisness, and their choice, to do what they did. If you look at it from the perspective of the 1st or 2nd brothers, and you see the trouble they got into...maybe it has something of a theme. But there was nothing wrong with how the 3rd brother lived the rest of his life.

I think my point here is that nearly all "tales", including those in Beedle the Bard, have themes: what you should and shouldn't do, and they provide examples. 3 Brothers is unique because it is an exception to this. (And I also love it because it sparked more than any other tale ever did!)

Pottermore
July 21st, 2011, 6:37 pm
I liked the Tale of the Three Brothers the best, because it has the most meaning.
And it was also used in the Deathly Hallows and explained how the brothers got the 3 Hallows.

MrSleepyHead
August 8th, 2011, 4:58 pm
I love The Tale of the Three Brothers. That has to be my favorite, for several reasons. It's very interesting how all of Beedle's Tales have morals/themes/whatever you want to call them and yet 3 Brothers doesn't.
[...]
Now, for 3 Brothers, what is the theme? I know Ron said in DH (paraphrased) "Don't meddle with things that you don't need to worry about..." things like that. But I don't think that accurately represents what it's trying to tell you. The Brothers weren't necessarily meddling in things that weren't their buisness, because who wouldn't accept gifts like that? It was completely their buisness, and their choice, to do what they did. If you look at it from the perspective of the 1st or 2nd brothers, and you see the trouble they got into...maybe it has something of a theme. But there was nothing wrong with how the 3rd brother lived the rest of his life.

I think my point here is that nearly all "tales", including those in Beedle the Bard, have themes: what you should and shouldn't do, and they provide examples. 3 Brothers is unique because it is an exception to this. (And I also love it because it sparked more than any other tale ever did!)
I agree with you, but only partly. I think The Tale of the Three Brothers is more unique because its moral is made through comparison. With the others, the morals are more or less evident and spelled out. With the Three Brothers, the moral is achieved by comparing the three brothers. Here is what Ron thinks is the moral of the story:
"Don't go looking for trouble, don't go pick fights, don't go messing around with stuff that's best left alone! Just keep your head down, mind your own business, and you'll be okay."
And I think his analysis is apt, though scant. In this, he basically summarizes the three brothers' positions, and in comparing the three brothers' decision lies the true moral, in my opinion.

The story, to me, makes clear that the first and second brothers made poor decisions through greed, arrogance, and combativeness. And those decisions led them to an early death that they did not accept - just like Voldemort, they sought to best Death. Meanwhile, the third brother was humble, deliberate, and wary, and his choice allowed him to live a long, wise life that terminated with his acceptance of death.

While I do not think the moral of the tale is about accepting death, I think the tale's moral is clear: disparage greed and arrogance, and through humility and good choices comes understanding and acceptance. Thus, it is not that The Tale of the Three Brothers has no moral, but - unlike the other tales - its moral requires more analysis and deliberation. But I do agree that this is one of the elements that makes the tale so fascinating.

PhoenixGryffin
December 29th, 2011, 5:25 pm
The Fountain of Fair Fortune was my favorite. I really don't have a least favorite. :)

tomriddlemethis
June 7th, 2012, 4:38 pm
I enjoyed the Fountain of Fair Fortune most, with The Three Brothers second. If I'm honest, I didn't particularly like the other stories... Perhaps on revision I may, I have only read this book once.

ameekha
July 4th, 2012, 12:30 pm
tale of the three brothers