The All-Inclusive HBP Movie Thread v. 17 - incl. movie spoilers

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14

Bscorp
July 8th, 2009, 6:01 pm
LOL at one of the comments on that review referring to Rickman's screen time. "Let's not forget that book 6 is Snape's coming out party. Just be patient."

I guess Book 7 was Dumbledore's. :lol: (Bah-dum dum.) :rockon:

AccioHP
July 8th, 2009, 6:19 pm
1 week away!! :)

GingerPeachy
July 8th, 2009, 6:25 pm
1 week away!! :)

This time next week, I will be being harassed by Potter look-a-likes. So pumped.

TLFL22
July 8th, 2009, 6:28 pm
LOL at one of the comments on that review referring to Rickman's screen time. "Let's not forget that book 6 is Snape's coming out party. Just be patient."

I guess Book 7 was Dumbledore's. :lol: (Bah-dum dum.) :rockon:

Does anyone know how long Snape is actually on screen, I mean like an estimate. I really hope this is his coming out party, I think its time to stop hiding the best actor and the best character in the series, imo.

But I cant wait...it sooo surreal that the time has come after waiting sooo long :)

CandyCane23049
July 8th, 2009, 6:35 pm
Ticket's for I-Max(Chicago) has went on sale today.

decarus
July 8th, 2009, 7:14 pm
I always imagined the diadem as just a silver circlet maybe thicker near the front. I never imagined it being very flashy, but of course my imagination has no baring on what they will make it look like in DH.

We do know that in the book the diadem is on a bust in the room of requirements, so that could be it. In the book Harry actually picks the diadem up in HBP. It may be that they will have Ginny pick it up instead or at least remember it.

AccioHP
July 8th, 2009, 7:50 pm
http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/2009/7/8/listen-to-entire-soundtrack-for-harry-potter-and-the-half-blood-prince

You can listen to the full soundtrack now!

boushh
July 8th, 2009, 7:53 pm
I do think the diadem is in that poster, and I'm pretty sure we've seen another shot of it somewhere. That's my guess anyway. It would be nice to have it planted there somewhere.

About the PG rating... while some teenagers may find it insulting or consider a film juvenile if it has a PG rating, what is also stated in the Variety article is this:

While a PG rating has become synonymous with a family film, that wasn't the original intent. A PG rating was a signal to parents that there may be some material not suitable for a child under 10. A PG film may contain some mild language, crude humor, thematic elements, sexual themes and some scary moments. No drug content is permitted.

So I personally feel that it is a misconception of the rating amongst some in that demographic. Now, whether the studios need to amp up the violence in order to cater to that demographic because of a misconception, I don't know. However, PG should not be synonymous with juvenile or "kids movie", IMHO because theoretically the MPAA people aren't making the decision with that bias. And if the ratings board does not think of it in those terms, then the teenage group who will skip this movie because of the rating is making a decision based on a misconception, and perhaps peer pressure. Perhaps it is less cool to see a PG movie than it is to see a PG-13 movie.

A more educated way to make a decision about what movie someone should see is to not just look at one aspect, such as the rating, but also the genre, potential content, reviews, and the way it is marketed (in various places because it will be different for different places). JMHO.

http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/2009/7/8/listen-to-entire-soundtrack-for-harry-potter-and-the-half-blood-prince

You can listen to the full soundtrack now!

ETA: Yay! I'm listening now! :)

CandyCane23049
July 8th, 2009, 8:06 pm
I'm listening right now too. I've never brought a Harry Potter soundtrack before but I feel inspired to get this one. I might get the other one's later.

decarus
July 8th, 2009, 8:07 pm
I do think the diadem is in that poster, and I'm pretty sure we've seen another shot of it somewhere. That's my guess anyway. It would be nice to have it planted there somewhere.
There was another poster with draco in the room of requirements where there was also a bust though smaller and people also thought the diadem was on it's head.

AccioHP
July 8th, 2009, 8:11 pm
I think that thing on the head of the statue could be the diadem

Edit: Listening to the soundtrack too.
I really like Wizard Wheezes, I wish they used it in the movie. They are using Fireworks from OotP for that scene?

Fly
July 8th, 2009, 8:22 pm
It would indeed make more sense if the circlet-thingy was the diadem. If they know in the future they'll be having to put in a bust with a tiara-esque thing on it, why put in something so similar that's not it? XD

I think the soundtrack is wonderful. My personal favorite is The Slug Party, because it's so darn catchy.

TLFL22
July 8th, 2009, 8:28 pm
I LOVE the soundtrack...its the best one yet, imo...

katana
July 8th, 2009, 8:30 pm
I think the circlet on the bust is the Diadem too. It makes sense. I'm gonna stick with it being the diadem.

boushh
July 8th, 2009, 8:37 pm
There was another poster with draco in the room of requirements where there was also a bust though smaller and people also thought the diadem was on it's head.

Yup. That's what I was remembering. So that's three places where we have seen it, two of which are posters. It seems an odd thing to include if it wasn't the diadem. It's a tiara looking thing on a bust in the Room of Requirement. It has to be the diadem.

cptZachsparrow
July 8th, 2009, 8:54 pm
Do you think that is the diadem on the bust at bellatrix's elbow? I so want to see the diadem in the film. They delayed the film all this time they should have snuck it in somewhere.

It's totally the diadem. That poster is set in the RoR and the diadem is hidden on an ugly old man. I read in another post that Ginny moves the diadem, or is rumored to. If she kisses Harry in the RoR then it makes sense that she would mess around with it then.

AccioHP
July 8th, 2009, 8:56 pm
http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a163303/video-harry-potter-press-conference-part-1.html

If anyone wants to watch the full Press Conference that they recently had you can here. I think I'm going to but not right now as I have to go out.

BubbleSnake
July 8th, 2009, 9:05 pm
Nice to see they managed a glimpse of every Horcrux in this movie, cuz they do show a flash of the Hufflepuff falling from an old womans hand cup and Nagini slithering in the grass when Harry touches the horcrux ring in the movie right? tho kinda execpt for the real locket, because the one in this movie is fake, I'm curious if the REAL locket in DH will actually look how its described in the book.

Kinda a shame that Dumbledore does not mention the Hufflepuff cup or Nagini to Harry, makes me curious how harry will figure this out in the DH, if by touching that ring again and it showing glimpses of the horcruxes or *shrugs* something else.

phoenix88
July 8th, 2009, 9:21 pm
Yep, she looked hott...but she always does, natural from someone who's made the world's sexiest women lists for the past few years. ;)

I actually preferred the outfit she had on the other day though (seen below) to the flirty and showy dress, not quite as sexy, but cute :love:

http://www.snitchseeker.com/gallery/albums/userpics/13923/88848258.jpg

Oooh, and I can't wait to see her on Letterman (though I typically don't watch Letterman, more of a Leno/Conan fan) I didn't know about that, thanks for mentioning that whoever it was. Does anyone know if any of the stars will be on Conan as well? They used to be on Leno...

Yes, I think Emma is beautiful- and in a very classy, elegant way.

As for all the reviews, it's wonderful to see how positive they all are. Has a Potter film ever been this well reviewed? One of the best things I've read is that the film supposedly "takes time to tell the story" and that it doesn't feel rushed- which is exactly what I disliked about OOTP. One review even said it was the best adaptation thus far- wow! I hope they are right. We sure have waited long enough!

lcbaseball22
July 8th, 2009, 9:45 pm
Aaaand a new Bella/Grayback poster!

http://www.mugglehub.com/media/uploads/us-wallpaper2-1280x1024-1246406747.jpgDo you think that is the diadem on the bust at bellatrix's elbow? I so want to see the diadem in the film. They delayed the film all this time they should have snuck it in somewhere.

I don't read reviews because really reviewers are just some guy. I have been reading your guys reviews of their reviews and they seem overall positive. That's nice.

That's a pretty awesome poster! :cool:

And yeah, that is most definitiely the diadem. And I mean really, what else could it be? :lol: I doubt they highlight or show a close up or anything though...and test screening viewers said they didn't notice it. Personally I would have one of those oh so obvious lingering close ups that clue you in that this object or whatever is of importance...even if it's not important in THIS film (which is atypical), it's still something they could flash back to in DH, remind the audience, and it won't feel cheap as we already were shown it...same as the book :tu:

boushh
July 8th, 2009, 9:50 pm
That's a pretty awesome poster! :cool:

And yeah, that is most definitiely the diadem. And I mean really, what else could it be? :lol: I doubt they highlight or show a close up or anything though...and test screening viewers said they didn't notice it. Personally I would have one of those oh so obvious lingering close ups that clue you in that this object or whatever is of importance...even if it's not important in THIS film (which is atypical), it's still something they could flash back to in DH, remind the audience, and it won't feel cheap as we already were shown it...same as the book :tu:

Yup! Totally agree! Well maybe not on the really obvious close up thing, but otherwise, yeah. :)

TheVeilofDeath
July 8th, 2009, 9:53 pm
Perhaps the person who is going to see it on Sunday( can't remember his/her name) and who posted earlier, could have an eye an this diadem, and then tell us about how they show it.

ArryGrotter
July 8th, 2009, 10:02 pm
I don't get why people are so annoyed about that PG rating. It's all MPAA's fault, as can be seen here in a comparison of PS, PoA, OotP and HBP ratings:

USA: PG / PG / PG-13 / PG
Ireland: PG / PG / 12A / 12A
UK: PG / PG / 12A / 12A
Finland: K-11 / K-11 / K-11 / K-11
Netherlands: MG6 / 9 / 12 / 9
Norway: 11 / 11 / 11 / 11
Singapore: PG / PG / PG/ PG
Australia: PG / PG (Org. M) / M / M
Hong Kong: IIA / IIA / IIA / IIA
South Korea: All / All / All / All
Canada (Quebec): G / G / G / G
Brazil: Livre / Livre / Livre / 14
Canada (Alberta/British Columbia/Manitoba/Nova Scotia/Ontario): PG / PG / PG / PG
New Zealand: PG / PG / M / M
Iceland: L / L / 10 (12 DVD) / 10

If you see, the only other rating that has gone down for HBP is Netherlands, but this is the same rating as PoA, not PS. (You could consider Iceland here too. but again, the HBP rating is higher than the first 3)
There has even been an increase in rating for HBP in Brazil!
All other countries have kept the same rating as OotP.

You need not to worry about those two letters. They mean nothing.

Edit: Anyway...

There's a new clip of quidditch tryouts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vquLs3Ylgg

Edit 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j78b3unMEaU another one of Harry and SLughorn! :wow:

Edit 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GFj0RLqQno sectumsempra in english!

Edit 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw8yktGCYBk Ron's bedroom scene!

lcbaseball22
July 8th, 2009, 10:15 pm
Yup! Totally agree! Well maybe not on the really obvious close up thing, but otherwise, yeah. :)

I'm referring to something like...hmm, have you seen Raiders of the Lost Ark?

Remember when they have a lingering close up of the poisoned nut? It clues us in...foreshadowing. It's a popular camera technique. Perhaps it doesn't need to be that obvious, but a brief shot they can then flashback to would be nice...Harry noticed it in the book afterall :)

Edit: Anyway...

There's a new clip of quidditch tryouts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vquLs3Ylgg

Edit 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j78b3unMEaU another one of Harry and SLughorn! :wow:

Edit 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw8yktGCYBk Ron's bedroom scene!

Ah, well you know why? Because IESB.net has posted their clips! :D (as of today)

There are 9 of them- http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7117&Itemid=99

ArryGrotter
July 8th, 2009, 10:24 pm
Ah, well you know why? Because IESB.net has posted their clips! :D (as of today)

There are 9 of them- http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7117&Itemid=99

Yep, I just checked there to see if that was the reason.. and sure enough!

The ones I posted seem to be the new ones. It's good tht they used the old clips as well - don't want to get bogged down with too many clips!

lcbaseball22
July 8th, 2009, 10:27 pm
Yep, I just checked there to see if that was the reason.. and sure enough!

The ones I posted seem to be the new ones. It's good tht they used the old clips as well - don't want to get bogged down with too many clips!

Yeah, I was wondering if they were going to a whole slew of new clips on top of the others :lol:

It's nice there are only a few new ones...saves more to first be viewed in the theatre :p

ArryGrotter
July 8th, 2009, 10:29 pm
IESB also has behind the scenes footage I haven't had the chance to watch yet: http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7118&Itemid=99

lcbaseball22
July 8th, 2009, 10:34 pm
I don't know why, but I really like the title screen at the beginning of these clips...it's neat :lol:

I must say, I dont' really care for the viewing option on IESB, the window is so small and when you expand to full screen it's blurry...

So I hope all of these are on Youtube in HD :drool:

Noldus
July 8th, 2009, 10:39 pm
I'm not gonna watch it, have to resist...:lol:
Do anybody think this film is a lack of action? I mean, so say the reviews. Also the burrow clip, although I did not see it, seem short. I thought this was gonna be an intense and huge action scene as I remember David Barron described it months ago.

BubbleSnake
July 8th, 2009, 10:40 pm

Aww Draco doesnt start say Crucio in the movie..I guess no biggie tho

I always thought it was weird that harry would use a spell he didn't know what it exactly did at such a dangerous moment like that in the book when draco was about to hit him with the Cruciartis.

ArryGrotter
July 8th, 2009, 10:40 pm
Does anyone else get no video when they try to watch the behind the scenes stuff? (Or are you just all not watching it? :lol:)

lcbaseball22
July 8th, 2009, 10:42 pm
Do anybody think this film is a lack of action? I mean, so say the reviews. Also the burrow clip, although I did not see it, seem short. I thought this was gonna be an intense and huge action scene as I remember David Barron described it months ago.

Is that really a bad thing...lack of action? :whistle: Guess it depends on your tastes. No, I don't...I think this film will have something for everyone and encompasses all genres (fantasy, comedy, romance, mystery, action, adventure, drama, etc) And I believe with the opening attack, the necklace attack, Sectumsempra, the Cave, Flight of the Prince, etc there'll be plenty of action...it'll just be nicely spread out :D

Oh, and we're pretty sure that the Burrow clip is edited down, right? (as with the memory clip) Seems way too choppy to be final, IMO

SybillOnWheels
July 8th, 2009, 10:49 pm
I love it when Ginny shouts "shut it!!" :lol:

Noldus
July 8th, 2009, 10:49 pm
Is that really a bad thing...a lack of action? :whistle: No, I don't...I think this film will have something for everyone and encompasses pretty much all genres (fantasy, comedy, romance, mystery, action, adventure, drama, etc) And I believe with the opening attack, the necklace attack, Sectumsempra, the Cave, Flight of the Prince, etc there will be plenty of action...it'll just be nicely spread out :D

If the film is boring that's a problem. It sounds like there is enough action but these scenes could be short.
Yes, I agree, there are many genres in this film. Too much romance I fear...

Sesquipedalian
July 8th, 2009, 10:52 pm
Oh, and we're pretty sure that the Burrow clip is edited down, right? (as with the memory clip) Seems way too choppy to be final, IMO

I do believe that people who have witnessed press-screenings have stated that both the memory clip and the Burrow clip are of slightly longer length in the finished film.:)

SybillOnWheels
July 8th, 2009, 10:54 pm
If the film is boring that's a problem. It sounds like there is enough action but these scenes could be short.

Yes, but pretty much half the book was "too much romance."

lcbaseball22
July 8th, 2009, 10:55 pm

So you find character driven drama's or mystery thrillers or romantic comedies boring? Perhaps it's just me but I hardly ever find a film to be boring. A rare expection would be There Will Be Blood...I still can't understand how that was so highly acclaimed, it was so damn dry :whistle:

But like I said, maybe it's just a difference in tastes. I like action films from time to time but my preferences are comedies and dramas

Regardless, I don't see how a Harry Potter film can be boring! :err: And the book was anything but boring, IMO...quite a rollercoaster ride! :D

Phrozenone
July 8th, 2009, 10:59 pm
*peeks in*

Wait...you mean to tell me you guys are still watching clips! I can't believe you watched the Sectumsempra clip LC! tsk tsk You only had a week left...come on man!

I'm glad to say I haven't watched any of the clips. :p I waited 2 years I can wait 6 days :lol: Glad the film is getting pretty good reviews though and I just found out they are showing it in the nearest theater to me (30 miles away...yay Mississippi:grumble:) I have to go and find out if they're showing it at midnight though.

Just wanted to say you guys should probably lay off the clips...it changes things. I went clip crazy before Goblet of Fire and it just feels very 'Oh I've seen this let's move on....' once you've seen the clips. Sure there's alot more to see but I dunno...the clips kinda ruined the overall feeling for me. I know we've read the books but seeing things is different to me..but oh well..I know temptation can be rough sometimes :lol:

Ok I'm leaving now :whistle:

*tip toes out*

boushh
July 8th, 2009, 11:04 pm
I'm referring to something like...hmm, have you seen Raiders of the Lost Ark?

Remember when they have a lingering close up of the poisoned nut? It clues us in...foreshadowing. It's a popular camera technique. Perhaps it doesn't need to be that obvious, but a brief shot they can then flashback to would be nice...Harry noticed it in the book afterall :)

Yes, I know about foreshadowing and camera techniques, thanks.

The way you stated it at first made it sound like you wanted a hit the viewer over the head with obvious information kind of moment. Something like in Raiders of the Lost Ark is fine. The dates are also mentioned a couple of times in the preceding scenes too. As long as it is skillfully done and not too obvious then I think it would be fine, yes. If Ginny picks it up or something at one point like it is being rumored then that would be perfect, IMHO.

Off to see the new clips.

lcbaseball22
July 8th, 2009, 11:05 pm
I don't know why but that Harry and Slughorn clip gives me chills :scared:

decarus
July 8th, 2009, 11:17 pm
Just wanted to say you guys should probably lay off the clips...it changes things. I went clip crazy before Goblet of Fire and it just feels very 'Oh I've seen this let's move on....' once you've seen the clips. Sure there's alot more to see but I dunno...the clips kinda ruined the overall feeling for me. I know we've read the books but seeing things is different to me..but oh well..I know temptation can be rough sometimes :lol:
You are totally right. I know it is going to ruin the first viewing for me, but i think the second time around it will flow better.

I agree that the burrow clip looked short. I think it must have been edited as others have said. I didn't feel like there was enough suspense before the adults came to the rescue.

HackEra
July 8th, 2009, 11:17 pm
All I have to say is this...I am so camping outside the theater for this movie...*grins*
^^"

decarus
July 8th, 2009, 11:19 pm
I didn't comment on the new clips. I really liked the quidditch one with McLaggen saying she wants to be introduced to Granger. That was great.

PS. Have you guys watched those behind the scenes things? I have only watched the first one and there was a lot of new footage there. If you aren't watching clips don't watch those.

Also i think you can see a bust in the room of requirements at the beginning of the first one. The screen is really small so i can't see if there is anything there, but i will be looking when i see it on the big screen.

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_seyret&Itemid=227&task=videodirectlink&id=2006

CrazyMuggle
July 8th, 2009, 11:26 pm
Does anyone else get no video when they try to watch the behind the scenes stuff? (Or are you just all not watching it? :lol:)

The videos played fine for me :hmm: Have you updated your Flashplayer?

Wow I really enjoyed the BTS (it's separated into four parts.) There's scenes of Slughorn's house, Dumbledore's welcoming speech, the cave, Quidditch tryouts, Malfoy about to AK Dumbledore with fellow Death Eaters around him, the trio sneaking around Knockturn Alley, Ron in the hospital, the poisoning, etc etc.

boushh
July 8th, 2009, 11:30 pm
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to the Harry/Slughorn scenes.

I'm enjoying the behind the scenes videos. I love that stuff. :)

ETA: decarus I took noticed the bust in the RoR scene. :)

Also, I keep meaning to mention it, but I'm very amused at the size of Cormac's broom. :lol:

Noldus
July 8th, 2009, 11:42 pm
So you find character driven drama's or mystery thrillers or romantic comedies boring? Perhaps it's just me but I hardly ever find a film to be boring. A rare expection would be There Will Be Blood...I still can't understand how that was so highly acclaimed, it was so damn dry :whistle:

But like I said, maybe it's just a difference in tastes. I like action films from time to time but my preferences are comedies and dramas

Regardless, I don't see how a Harry Potter film can be boring! :err: And the book was anything but boring, IMO...quite a rollercoaster ride! :D

No, no, don't misunderstand. I love HP, I love the characters, I love films in general (all genres) even if there is a lack of action. I mean a good film needs realistic characters and a good plot. Normally I don't like romantic comedies. The point is; this is HP - it's a fantasy world about magic. If there is too much romance we may get too little screen-time to the other sub-plots such as Tom Riddle, hbp and some action scenes. If I just want action I will rather watch "Transformers 2":lol:

decarus
July 8th, 2009, 11:50 pm
Did Hermione call Lavander a bimbo or a dimbo? That was a funny scene. Now i feel like i have watched the entire film.

PS. It looks like Hermione does hit Ron at the opening feast. I never thought that made sense because why would she have a book at the opening feast. That was great too though.

boushh
July 8th, 2009, 11:54 pm
I love Ginny's lines at the feast. :)

decarus
July 8th, 2009, 11:56 pm
I love Ginny's lines at the feast. :)

I liked her line too. Wow there was a lot of new stuff in there. The fourth one won't play for me. Such is life.

boushh
July 8th, 2009, 11:56 pm
I liked her line too. Wow there was a lot of new stuff in there. The fourth one won't play for me. Such is life.

Pause it and let it load first. That's how it worked for me.

lcbaseball22
July 8th, 2009, 11:58 pm
Watching the bts clips...well, we know now why and when Hermione is hitting Ron with her book :lol:

I honestly thought it was later on and had something to do with Lav-Lav :shrug:

decarus
July 9th, 2009, 12:03 am
Watching the bts clips...well, we know now why and when Hermione is hitting Ron with her book :lol:

I honestly thought it was later on and had something to do with Lav-Lav :shrug:
Yeah, i thought so too, just because it seems strange that she would have a book at the feast. It is her comfort blanket because Harry is missing.

I got the fourth one to work. Bellatrix and Greyback on the tower. Wow. Also once again the scene in the courtyard. I liked Greyback's lines and, i think, someone said he didn't have any lines. That's too bad. I like the courtyard scene too.

I hate it when they show you bits of scenes that are then cut from the final draft.

Thranduil1990
July 9th, 2009, 12:06 am
Yeah, i thought so too, just because it seems strange that she would have a book at the feast. It is her comfort blanket because Harry is missing.

I got the fourth one to work. Bellatrix and Greyback on the tower. Wow. Also once again the scene in the courtyard. I liked Greyback's lines and, i think, someone said he didn't have any lines. That's too bad. I like the courtyard scene too.

I hate it when they show you bits of scenes that are then cut from the final draft.

I hated to, that line is great,
he has not stomach, he is like his father
and i love the sumbledore's line to bellatrix:p

lcbaseball22
July 9th, 2009, 12:07 am

We believe the courtyard scene has been cut now though, right? Probably for the best as then we can avoid that plothole I mentioned a while back. Those lines would just make the trio's inactivity ridiculous and bring up all sorts of questions as to why they didn't investigate.

Also, I keep meaning to mention it, but I'm very amused at the size of Cormac's broom. :lol:

Yeah, I found that pretty hilarious as well :rotfl: The (pretty blatant) innuendo fits his arrogant attitude and persona perfectly I think :p

boushh
July 9th, 2009, 12:28 am

I think it also works with it being a reaction to Ron being insensitive. It may work well for character development moments in DH. Hermione only kisses him when he shows some sensitivity towards something he didn't seem to care about before.

Yeah, I liked Greyback's lines too. I guess it's confirmed that he doesn't have any lines at all? It would have worked with one of the reason that Dumbledore gives to Snape in order to persuade him to go along with killing him.

I also liked the courtyard bit. It shows them working it out on their own and it would have worked well with audience reaction when they see the DEs emerge from the cabinet (I assume we will see this).

Well I tend to like seeing deleted stuff, but there are definitely times when I do wish something was left in the film that was cut...

We believe the courtyard scene has been cut now though, right? Probably for the best as then we can avoid that plothole I mentioned a while back. Those lines would just make the trio's inactivity ridiculous and bring up all sorts of questions as to why they didn't investigate.

Well it would be just a theory that they'd have one night to check out... but they don't know they have mere hours do they? I don't think Harry sets them up for a potential battle like he does in the book... if I remember right that is. So I'm not sure if it would be much of a plot hole, but I think it's tough to say without seeing how it played out within the film.

Yeah, I found that pretty hilarious as well :rotfl: The (pretty blatant) innuendo fits his arrogant attitude and persona perfectly :p

Yup. It also is something that would feed Ron's insecurities...

lcbaseball22
July 9th, 2009, 12:34 am
I said before I found the discussion with Sluggy chilling. I meant that in a good way, naturally :p What I really like about it is how Harry echoes Tom Riddle with some charm and poses the question to Sluggy in nearly the exact SAME words! :wow: (as we saw in the memory script)

EDIT:

Oooh, I just realized something else. In the Sectumsempra clip Harry says "you hexed her, didn't you?" I wonder if this scene occurs then right after he talks to Katie Bell in the Great Hall (if that scene made it into the film...we see Draco exiting in other shots of that scene)

decarus
July 9th, 2009, 12:46 am
I am not sure if it is completely confirmed that Greyback has no lines. There was only one person, i think, that said that. It may be possible they don't remember because no one can remember every detail. Though it seems likely they would remember it if Greyback spoke on top of the tower.

Sacred_Memories
July 9th, 2009, 12:49 am
Freddie as Cormac is epic. He's going to be wickedly awesome. I love the bit where he asks Ron if he could introduce him to Hermione. :lol:

And did anyone notice the subtle yet extraordinary foreshadowing when Harry told Slughorn that he and Snape don't "see eye to eye". Amazing!

And could someone give me the link to the video where it shows Hermione insulting Lavender?

Thranduil1990
July 9th, 2009, 12:54 am
I have just asked it in harry potter forums, and MicroFX, who saw the film, has said that the line is not in the film,:sad: the rest of the conversation betwen Dumbledore and Bellatrix is in.
Could anyone tell what bellatrix replies to dumbledore?

MasterOfDeath
July 9th, 2009, 1:22 am
Watched all the clips and behind the scenes videos on ISEB. :D (sorry, Phrozenone :whistle:)

Maybe I shouldn't have..The tower scene was so amazing, it's heartbreaking to think it was cut down. :( Dumbledore has his 'tea party' attitude and formally introduces himself to Bellatrix, Greyback wants to eat Dumbledore, it was FANTASTIC!

Watching those behind the scenes videos was like literally watching the book come to life. I had this problem with OOTP, but I know better now. I watched the behind the scenes vids for OOTP and they were great too, but when I went into the film, 99% of it was cut. So guys don't expect ANY of this to be in the film, and if it is in the film, it will probably be all chopped up and not nearly as smooth. :p I just don't want you getting your hopes up and being disappointed in the final film like I was with OOTP.

The Slughorn clip gave me chills too! Word for word from the Riddle mmemory scene!

In-fact, every aspect of this film looks fantastic. The drama, the quiet stuff, the romance, the sports, the mystery, etc. We only need to see how well it all flows together.

I also liked the clip in Ron's bedroom. It was so natural! A nice long cut and the trio are talking so casually like real friends. Very anti-hollywood which is great, IMO! I love how many times they mention Hermione's parents are muggles. They need to set up the muggle-born discrimination thing for DH. The non-extended cut of COS kinda blotched that up. It's cool how they talk about their parents not wanting them to go back to Hogwarts. I was worried the romance would overwhelm the state of war and terror the wizarding world is currently in, but judging from all these references to how dark and scary it is out there, it sounds like they did a goob job with that. Now the light stuff really will feel like "there's a war going on but life goes on."

Cormac is great. :lol: I can just feel how threatened Ron must feel! :p Ginny shouting for Harry, "SHUT IT!" was great! :tu: :lol:

What else, what else? There was so much! :lol: I can't think of everything...

storyteller
July 9th, 2009, 1:25 am
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to the Harry/Slughorn scenes.

I'm enjoying the behind the scenes videos. I love that stuff. :)

ETA: decarus I took noticed the bust in the RoR scene. :)

:lol: that was the first thing I noticed too. Not a bit subtle with that induendo, were they?

I saw 7 trailers on Rottentomatoes.com and a couple up above, but I agree. I don't want to watch too many scenes and have the movie spoiled.

wilson84
July 9th, 2009, 1:46 am
I loved the IESb rolls, but why is Bellatrix saying Narcissa's part of the unbreakable vow?

lcbaseball22
July 9th, 2009, 2:14 am
:err: I'm not sure why anyone would be interested in this so late in the game...but for those that are, Leaky's embargo has been lifted and they are now allowed to post their full set report (what more could it tell us?) :shrug: http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/2009/7/8/leakys-half-blood-prince-set-report

ArryGrotter
July 9th, 2009, 2:23 am
Ah, this is annoying: Firefox won't load it - Chrome will :lol:

lcbaseball22
July 9th, 2009, 2:50 am
Wow, I am absolutely STUNNED that none of the major HP sites have posted yet about the IESB clips :wow:

Not even Snitchseeker and they are usually soo on top of the news :hmm: So I sent in a news tip to them, be interesting how long it takes :lol:

decarus
July 9th, 2009, 3:10 am
And could someone give me the link to the video where it shows Hermione insulting Lavender?
I think that it is in the first one. The links to each clip is at the bottom of this page.

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7118&Itemid=99

boushh
July 9th, 2009, 3:10 am
I am not sure if it is completely confirmed that Greyback has no lines. There was only one person, i think, that said that. It may be possible they don't remember because no one can remember every detail. Though it seems likely they would remember it if Greyback spoke on top of the tower.

Yeah... I hope the line is there. Actually, the more I think about it the more I really hope it's there.

Freddie as Cormac is epic. He's going to be wickedly awesome. I love the bit where he asks Ron if he could introduce him to Hermione. :lol:

Poor Ron, having to compete with this handsome jock with an attitude, and a big flashy broom. :lol:

And did anyone notice the subtle yet extraordinary foreshadowing when Harry told Slughorn that he and Snape don't "see eye to eye". Amazing!

I did! Love it. I hope that made it into the film. I'm crossing my fingers!

lcbaseball22
July 9th, 2009, 3:12 am
For anyone who's interested, here are a couple (fan?) reviews on HPforum:

MicroFX (I trust him)- http://www.harrypotterforum.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=731&page=1#Item_0

some other dude- http://www.harrypotterforum.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=723&page=1#Item_0

SwedishSkinJer
July 9th, 2009, 3:12 am
Well, considering that WB just sent them the clips, I'm sure the one with Harry asking Slughorn about the spells is definitely in. Why wouldn't it be?

What I'd like to know is whether or not the part with everyone looking at the sky at Hogwarts after the cave scene, minus the music, is still in.

OK, the first review confirmed that Greyback has no lines in the final cut.

boushh
July 9th, 2009, 3:15 am
Well, considering that WB just sent them the clips, I'm sure the one with Harry asking Slughorn about the spells is definitely in. Why wouldn't it be?

Was that in a behind the scenes clip or in a regular clip? I can't remember for sure. I thought it was a behind the scenes clip, which is why I said I hoped it was still in the film. I could be wrong though. I watched all of them back to back so I may have merged things together in my head. :)

lcbaseball22
July 9th, 2009, 3:16 am
I am really dissapointed that Greyback apparently has no lines. Both "don't you smell clean?" (you can see he's about to say it after sniffing the air) and the other lines on top of the tower as seen in the bts vid were soo awesome, IMO. It's a real shame they were axed, WHY?! :sigh:

Sacred_Memories
July 9th, 2009, 3:21 am
"He was poisoned, you dumb dimbo!" CLASSIC

SwedishSkinJer
July 9th, 2009, 3:22 am
At least both of the reviews were quite positive. I don't mind Greyback not having lines, as long as he has some in Deathly Hallows.

lcbaseball22
July 9th, 2009, 3:25 am
At least both of the reviews were quite positive. I don't mind Greyback not having lines, as long as he has some in Deathly Hallows.

He applauded the technical aspects and the acting but not the script/story. Actaully, I found MicroFX's to be quite odd. I was shocked when he said it was the best film yet cause from reading his whole review I certainly didn't get that vibe :lol: Specifically his 2nd sentence :whistle:
The Half-Blood Prince film is in an entirely different league to all the other Harry Potter films, and this isn't necessarily good

SwedishSkinJer
July 9th, 2009, 3:26 am
They also confirmed that you can hear In Noctem in the background of some of Dumbledore's scenes.

decarus
July 9th, 2009, 3:26 am
"He was poisoned, you dumb dimbo!" CLASSIC Yes, it was the third one. Sorry about that. Great line though.

Sacred_Memories
July 9th, 2009, 3:27 am
But yes, I still don't understand why Greyback's line have been cut.

ally_xx
July 9th, 2009, 3:28 am
I'm freaking out here, it's less than a week away! :D :D :D

SwedishSkinJer
July 9th, 2009, 3:35 am
OK, so the first review said it's the best Potter film yet.

The second review said, despite some issues, it's one of the best films of this summer.

Also, does anyone know if Emma's full interview with Letterman is online yet?

NumberEight
July 9th, 2009, 4:11 am
It should be sometime tomorrow, July 9.

Something funny happened to me today. Yesterday I purchased a ticket for the film for the 7:30PM showing on July 16 from Fandango. It cost me $11.50!. I misunderstood what the instructions on the printout said about using the ticket so I went to the theater today to see if I can get a ticket stub (I keep records of my theater outings and I assumed that I would be given one when I showed up for the film). They said I just needed to go inside the theater to the person manning the podium and hand them the printed ticket. They will scan it and let me through. So I wasted gas. I could have called, though.

boushh
July 9th, 2009, 4:24 am

It hasn't aired yet. ;) The show comes on in ten minutes 11:35pm Eastern Time...

SwedishSkinJer
July 9th, 2009, 4:28 am
Ah. I saw a clip of the interview on Letterman's site, so I forgot the time and assumed it already aired.

NumberEight
July 9th, 2009, 4:32 am

Would you mind explaining what scene was cut, what took place during the scene, and why would it have been a plot hole? I have been away from this site for three months so I'm late to the game. :p Thanks.

boushh
July 9th, 2009, 4:32 am
Ah. I saw a clip of the interview on Letterman's site, so I forgot the time and assumed it already aired.

They record it earlier in the day so that could be what you saw, or it was a clip from an older interview that they are using to promote her appearance.

DML1991
July 9th, 2009, 4:48 am
There's new clips of the movie?

lcbaseball22
July 9th, 2009, 4:49 am
Would you mind explaining what scene was cut, what took place during the scene, and why would it have been a plot hole? I have been away from this site for three months so I'm late to the game. :p Thanks.

Sure, I think it'll be easiest if I just quote my previous posts from that discussion (I included a shot of this scene as well)

You can find some of this scene here (about 1:10 mark)- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBD-KCZWgig&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eyoutube%2Ecom%2Fuser%2FAll InclusiveHBP&feature=player_profilepage

This was supposed to occur directly after Harry's final lesson with Dumbledore...before they head off to the cave.

The thing I love about these changes, is that even if Yates and Kloves might have not went into as detail as some of us have, everything surrounding the cuts are solid. There's no plot holes resulting out of it, none at all.

That's saying quite a bit.

Well, that's not entirely true. There is a quite a large "plot hole" if they kept these lines in the final cut-

119 INT./EXT. COURTYARD - MOMENTS LATER - LATE DAY

Harry, Hermione and Ron walk.

HARRY
Hermione, is the Room of Requirement unplottable?

HERMIONE
If one wants it to be. Why?

HARRY
It would explain why I thought Malfoy was leaving the castle when he disappeared off the Map. He was going to the Room of Requirement.

HERMIONE
Of course, and that explains the Vanishing Cabinet as well!

http://www.mugglenet.com/images/hbplist/Ch23/23triotower.jpg

Note: In the above shot Ron says, "good luck mate" and Harry responds "I don't need luck, I'll be with Dumbledore"

So, if the trio are supposed to be completely clueless in the film version...they just FAILED with those lines right there :p

That begs the question why Harry didn't investigate further and those omitted circumstances (giving them the map, having them keep an eye on Draco and the castle, etc) become important. For Hermione to not be worried at this point, and just go off with Ron and wait in the Common Room for Harry to return, makes no sense. Especially when they notice the ominous sky outside and should be able to tell something bad is about to happen :lol: So, in my opinion they better have a damn good explanation for the trio dimissing their fears here.

Hermione even seems to realize Harry was right all along and agree with him- "Of course, and that explains the vanishing cabinet as well!"

Which, if I'm not mistaken is something she never did in the book. She didn't believe him till after the fact. I don't understand this change.

So I suppose then I have another question for aussiehottie-

Were those lines included in the final cut and if so what occurs after this? How do they explain that the trio are aware of suspicious activity within the castle but don't do anything about it? Is Harry ever shown trying to get into the RoR to see what Draco is up to, like in the book?

Even in the book Hermione sometimes said that things Draco was doing was suspicious, but that didn't mean that he was really doing what Harry was certain he was.

As for the storming, I don't see how a bad storm would make them run around the school yelling "Death Eaters are coming! Death Eaters are coming!".

I mean, this is the same kid who walked around the school like he was all that but whenever something came flying his way, he'd wuss out faster than Neville.
Uhm, so now they have connected the mystery of the Vanishing Cabinet they saw him inquire about at B&B with Hogwarts...what do they think he's going to do with it? Use it for completely innocent means? :p A student was cursed by a necklace, Ron was poisoned...clearly something is fishy. Harry already suspects Draco of being a Death Eater. The only puzzle piece missing from the book then if I'm recalling correctly would be hearing Trelawny about Draco's gleeful celebration. But is that really necessary to take action? :relax:

Oh, and it's a very different looking storm. Have you ever seen a storm like this- "A VORTEX of CLOUDS swirls eerily in on itself"?! :err: :p

BTW, aussiehottie...there is some confusion over this shot, is this before or after the Dark Mark is cast?

It kinda looks like the mark forming, but many of us thought this was earlier, forshadowing what's about to occur:

http://www.mugglenet.com/images/hbplist/Ch27/27,darkmark.jpg

Besides, there is that bit in the script, that shows their reactions and worry. And this clearly looks like an "OH ****!" moment to me :lol:

http://www.mugglenet.com/images/hbplist/Ch27/normal_herr6565xz5.jpg

SwedishSkinJer
July 9th, 2009, 5:00 am
So, in the final version Harry goes to the cave without telling Ron/Hermione beforehand?

MasterOfDeath
July 9th, 2009, 5:03 am
So, in the final version Harry goes to the cave without telling Ron/Hermione beforehand?

Maybe the scene with the trio outside the gryffindor boys dormitory will replace the courtyard scene..

folly54
July 9th, 2009, 5:06 am
The movies reviews have been very good. One week to go!

lcbaseball22
July 9th, 2009, 5:07 am
Maybe the scene with the trio outside the gryffindor boys dormitory will replace the courtyard scene..

No, I believe aussiehottie said this scene wasn't present either...so they are both cut I guess :shrug:

Anyways, I notice IMDB already has a rating for HBP- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0417741/

I'm not sure, is that a good rating this early on or not? :whistle: Anyone an IMDB expert? :lol:

It's only based on a little over 1,100 votes...I'm assuming those who saw screenings/premiere :hmm:

As for RT, haven't updated with many reviews...just 10 counted at the moment- http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/harry_potter_and_the_half_blood_prince/

DML1991
July 9th, 2009, 5:09 am
There's new clips of the movie?Repeated. I don't feel like digging through the 20 something pages that have been posted since last night. :p

SwedishSkinJer
July 9th, 2009, 5:11 am
Highly positive review:

http://english.ohmynews.com/ArticleView/article_view.asp?menu=A11100&no=385426&rel_no=1&back_url=

lcbaseball22
July 9th, 2009, 5:14 am
Repeated. I don't feel like digging through the 20 something pages that have been posted since last night. :p

Yep, on IESB.net The reason you probably didn't know is cause all the HP fansites are being quite lame right now. :err:

I even tipped them off and they STILL haven't made a posting about them. :rolleyes:

Here is the link- http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7117&Itemid=99

Also, you can find them on Youtube...better viewing screen, IMO. Here is a channel that I think has them all:

http://www.youtube.com/user/HighandDef

NumberEight
July 9th, 2009, 5:14 am
I am more interested in seeing the film's cinematography and Gambon and Rickman's performance, to be honest. Todd McCarthy said it's well made and I hope that is true. I still like OOTP and I hope Yates stepped it up a dozen or so notches.

DML1991
July 9th, 2009, 5:16 am
Yep, on IESB.net The reason you probably didn't know is cause all the HP fansites are being quite lame right now. :err:

I even tipped them off and they STILL haven't made a posting about them. :rolleyes:

Here is the link- http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7117&Itemid=99

Also, you can find them on Youtube...better viewing screen, IMO. Here is a channel that I think has them all:

http://www.youtube.com/user/HighandDefThanks pal, I'll watch them in a little while and share my thoughts. :)

lcbaseball22
July 9th, 2009, 5:17 am
Thanks pal, I'll watch them in a little while and share my thoughts. :)

Oh look, Snitchseeker JUST posted...it's about damn time :rotfl:

http://www.snitchseeker.com/harry-potter-news/videos-new-quidditch-trials-potions-classroom-half-blood-prince-clips-65569/

So anyone know if 8.5/10 is good this early for an IMDB score or is that not very high to start out...doesn't it typically drop from there? :hmm:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0417741/

SwedishSkinJer
July 9th, 2009, 5:20 am
Anyone else think the Quidditch pitch and angles look amazing in this movie? (Talking about the new clip.)

The colors look a lot better, and I love the angles.

lcbaseball22
July 9th, 2009, 5:24 am
Just read the new review, it does seem highly positive. Just thought I'd fix their wording though:

There's plenty waiting for you in this one, including HARRY POTTER KISSING A GIRL

It should be A GIRL KISSING HARRY POTTER...don't you think? (since Harry stands there like a log and doesn't initiate the kiss) :p :lol:

SwedishSkinJer
July 9th, 2009, 5:25 am
New review:

http://www.cinemablend.com/reviews/Harry-Potter-and-the-Half-Blood-Prince-4015.html

Overall, it's positive.

NumberEight
July 9th, 2009, 5:27 am
So anyone know if 8.5/10 is good this early for an IMDB score or is that not very high to start out...doesn't it typically drop from there? :hmm:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0417741/

I tend to not trust the IMDb scores because some people spam votes either in support for or against a film. But the film Public Enemies started out with a 9.1 and had 1,100 or so votes and now it's at a 7.9 with 12,901 votes.

lcbaseball22
July 9th, 2009, 5:29 am
I tend to not trust the IMDb scores because some people spam votes either in support for or against a film. But the film Public Enemies started out with a 9.1 and had 1,100 or so votes and now it's at a 7.9 with 12,901 votes.

Hmm, so unless future votes are highly positive I guess this might end up at a score no better than the previous films...about 7.5/10 :shrug:

PS/SS- 7.2/10

CoS- 7.2/10

PoA- 7.7/10

GoF- 7.6/10

OotP- 7.4/10

I'd like to see on in the 8's...or even crack the TOP 250 for once, it'd be cool if HBP could acheive this :D :cool:

Reading the latest review, this is sadly probably true:

Let's just get this out of the way: there will never be a great film based on a Harry Potter book. The series by J.K. Rowling is too dense with characters, packed with references, suffused with a bookishness that no amount of CGI can replicate. Once we realize this, and accept that the increasingly enjoyable series of Harry Potter movies will never reach the rousing heights of the source material, going into the latest wizarding adventure gets a lot more pleasant.

However, I think DH has a shot now that they've decided to split it and thus allows more time and resources for depth, effects, etc :D

This is a very good point :relax:

For the most part all the cuts made from the book are good ones, trimming the fat and such, but the presence of characters like Bellatrix Lestrange (Helena Bonham Carter) at the end no longer makes any sense with the final battle missing.

Yep, with the battle cut the all the other death eaters are completely un-necessary. In the book it appeared their role was to act as like body guards for Malfoy and help provide safe passage through and out of the castle. They were there to take out anyone who tried to foil the plan

SwedishSkinJer
July 9th, 2009, 5:47 am
It still makes sense for them to be in the movie, even Bellatrix (as it gives Helena more time to shine). They could simply be there to ensure that Draco "does the deed", and then escort him out after the death. No battle necessary, except for the brief encounters and destruction as they're leaving the castle in the film.

BTW, don't trust IMDB. Lots of anti-Potter trolls rate the movies down into the 7s.

Phrozenone
July 9th, 2009, 5:57 am
Plus I'd like to think that Bellatrix wanted to go to see if Snape would actually keep his word with the vow just in case Draco couldn't do it. I'm not sure if they set up her doubt of him in the film but if they do, it makes sense for her to be there I think. Not only to make sure Draco finishes the job but...in the event he doesn't...see if Snape really is going to keep his end of the bargain.

Plus more HBC is never a bad thing imo :lol:

lcbaseball22
July 9th, 2009, 5:57 am
BTW, don't trust IMDB. Lots of anti-Potter trolls rate the movies down into the 7s.

Yeah, it's a shame people do that. I remember seeing the battle play out once TDK was released for the top 5...lots of jostling positions, with the respective fans of Shawshank, Godfather, TDK, etc all ganging up on the other films and giving them low ratings in an attempt to boost their favored film. And then you of course also have the opposite where a bunch of people give a film 10's to boost it. (ie Twilight)

:relax:

Plus I'd like to think that Bellatrix wanted to go to see if Snape would actually keep his word with the vow just in case Draco couldn't do it. I'm not sure if they set up her doubt of him in the film but if they do, it makes sense for her to be there I think. Not only to make sure Draco finishes the job but...in the event he doesn't...see if Snape really is going to keep his end of the bargain.

Plus more HBC is never a bad thing imo :lol:

Hmm, I suppose you have some good points there :p

Yeah true, it's not :lol: The reviews seem to be raving her performance and I loved her in OotP and I don't expect any less in HBP :cool:

I did think it was wise to add her to the invasion...to give a familiar face and all. It's just the other Death Eaters really have no role with the skirmish cut. It could have been just Bella and Snape, if the plan was to provide Draco with an escort. I guess they are "just in case" :shrug:

SwedishSkinJer
July 9th, 2009, 6:05 am
I wish Greyback had lines, though. I quite liked it when Dumbledore expressed surprise that Draco wouldn't have any issues with allowing a werewolf to come so near to his friends, and the line where Dumbledore acts so calm after Greyback describes his taste for children. Ah, well. At least he still talks to Bellatrix. I wonder if the Carrows say anything...

lcbaseball22
July 9th, 2009, 6:07 am
I wish Greyback had lines, though. I quite liked it when Dumbledore expressed surprise that Draco wouldn't have any issues with allowing a werewolf to come so near to his friends, and the line where Dumbledore acts so calm after Greyback describes his taste for children. Ah, well. At least he still talks to Bellatrix. I wonder if the Carrows say anything...

Yeah, that's the other thing...if they don't have lines, then why even have them? Greyback had some great lines in the book :grumble:

Like I said, i guess we are to assume they are there "just in case" (like IF there was complications) Ugh, it's still LAME if you ask me :argh:

SwedishSkinJer
July 9th, 2009, 6:08 am
I mean, how hard is it to give Greyback a few lines that add twenty seconds to the movie? Come on.

Tell the actor to recite five lines. That's all we're asking for.

Kanksha
July 9th, 2009, 6:08 am
I've just had my first listen of the complete soundtrack.........
In Noctem is so beautiful! I can totally imagine the tower scene in slow motion with it playing eerily in the background.
Wizard Wheezes for some reason reminds me of the old Tom & Jerry soundtracks :lol:

Well I know what I'll be listening to, on endless repeat for next one week :p

lcbaseball22
July 9th, 2009, 6:09 am
I mean, how hard is it to give Greyback a few lines that add twenty seconds to the movie? Come on.

Tell the actor to recite five lines. That's all we're asking for.

I'm sure he did (we heard a few in the btw footage)...they just cut em :lol: :relax:

SwedishSkinJer
July 9th, 2009, 6:10 am
I'm sure he did (we heard a few in the btw footage)...they just cut em :lol: :relax:

I just don't understand why. They added twenty seconds to the movie.

:(

lcbaseball22
July 9th, 2009, 6:11 am

You could say that about a LOT with these films though. They cut soo many little moments that would only take a few extra seconds...

For instance, why didn't they briefly explain the Mauraders in PoA? :p :sigh:

Why cut Lily from SWM in OotP? Why cut Snape responding "I am not a coward!" in this film (based on the test screening) etc, etc...

SwedishSkinJer
July 9th, 2009, 6:13 am
I've just had my first listen of the complete soundtrack.........
In Noctem is so beautiful! I can totally imagine the tower scene in slow motion with it playing eerily in the background.
Wizard Wheezes for some reason reminds me of the old Tom & Jerry soundtracks :lol:

Well I know what I'll be listening to, on endless repeat for next one week :p

Agreed. "In Noctem" as Dumbledore is falling would make the scene so much more effective.

Phrozenone
July 9th, 2009, 6:17 am
Plus this is Dumbledore. He took on their master the year before. Regardless of the state he's in (and I'm sure they didn't know how sick he was) this is STILL Albus Dumbledore. I'd send my best troops to watch out for Draco. I'm sure Voldemort knew Dumbledore wouldn't hurt Draco and Bellatrix by herself couldn't possibly take him on. Sure you had Snape there but even he is no match for Dumbledore :lol:

I'm thinking they were taking the strength by numbers approach. If Dumbledore were to fight back there would be enough of them that maybe SOMEONE could get a shot in :lol:

SwedishSkinJer
July 9th, 2009, 6:18 am
Does anyone know if Harry mentions Dumbledore's weak-looking hand in the film?

Like:

"Sir, what's happened to your hand?"

Phrozenone
July 9th, 2009, 6:23 am

Maybe his acting didn't hold up to the others. I wouldn't be suprised..especially on an important scene like this. Yates is all about the acting and if the guy who plays Greyback didn't get what Yates wanted and possibly took you out of the scene then I say cut those lines :tu: Plus it's all about pacing. Maybe there was a certain mood they were going for and the Greyback line just didn't work. Sure it's just twenty seconds but that's alot of time in a movie and with a scene as intense as the Astronomy Tower pacing is everything. It has to flow right...the tension has to be on point...if it goes on a few seconds longer than it has to it'll loss it's intensity.

Kanksha
July 9th, 2009, 6:26 am

Like:

Oh yes definitely. I think he even uses the "It's a thrilling tale, I wish to do it justice" line. Can't remember the exact scene(s) though.

ETA: Yeah the scene katana said v v :lol:

katana
July 9th, 2009, 6:27 am

Like:

Isn't that in the beginning of the film at the subway when Harry & DD are looking at the billboard with the woman on it? The clip of that has DD telling Harry that 'the tale is thrilling' or something. I think that's it. Isn't it?

Edit: ^^Yeah! What Kanksha said! :)

SwedishSkinJer
July 9th, 2009, 6:29 am
I know that line, but I wasn't sure if that was DD reacting to Harry talking about his liking for riding on trains.

lcbaseball22
July 9th, 2009, 6:30 am

I looked up the breakdown of ratings...there are a suspicious amount of 1's :rolleyes: but also an unusually high number of 10's as well I think:

Votes Percentage Rating

857 76.3% 10
54 4.8% 9
51 4.5% 8
26 2.3% 7
15 1.3% 6
17 1.5% 5
8 0.7% 4
10 0.9% 3
11 1.0% 2
74 6.6% 1

But as you get more and more votes, bogus ratings will have less and less of an impact (basic stats here) I'm curious to see where it settles

Plus this is Dumbledore. He took on their master the year before. Regardless of the state he's in (and I'm sure they didn't know how sick he was) this is STILL Albus Dumbledore. I'd send my best troops to watch out for Draco. I'm sure Voldemort knew Dumbledore wouldn't hurt Draco and Bellatrix by herself couldn't possibly take him on. Sure you had Snape there but even he is no match for Dumbledore :lol:

I'm thinking they were taking the strength by numbers approach. If Dumbledore were to fight back there would be enough of them that maybe SOMEONE could get a shot in :lol:

Again, I suppose that's a good point :p

Yeah, I mean IF we're going by the book Voldy would have known just how many Death Eaters Dumbledore took out at once (in the MoM) and realize he probably needs all the help he can get :lol: He didn't expect Draco to succeed and didn't know Snape vowed or was a double agent.

Like:

Well, I'm not sure if Harry asks necessarily but he looks at it funny during the tube station scene and Dumbledore responds with a line similar to in the book like, "not now Harry, the tale is thrilling and I wish to do it justice" :lol: So they definitely shed light on it...

Kanksha
July 9th, 2009, 6:43 am
I looked up the breakdown of ratings...there are a suspicious amount of 1's :rolleyes: but also an unusually high number of 10's as well I think:

Votes Percentage Rating

857 76.3% 10
54 4.8% 9
51 4.5% 8
26 2.3% 7
15 1.3% 6
17 1.5% 5
8 0.7% 4
10 0.9% 3
11 1.0% 2
74 6.6% 1

But as you get more and more votes, bogus ratings will have less and less of an impact (basic stats here) I'm curious to see where it settles

857 is the number of 10's?? So we have a lot of HP maniacs like us out there. I would totally give any HP a 10 if I was reviewing it too :p
Or is the movie actually just that good??

Phrozenone
July 9th, 2009, 6:44 am
Just so everyone knows: Rotten Tomatoes is watching a Potter film per day and reviewing them in preperation for HBP. Their review of the first film is up and I pretty much agree with everything that was said. I remember when they did this for Friday the 13th! It def helps the days go by faster and I can see myself getting a tad bit excited once GOF is done because that'll mean...you guessed it...ORder and then HBP!!!!! We're almost there.

Anyways here's the link for anyone who wants to keep up with this.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/harry_potter_and_the_half_blood_prince/news/1831130/deconstructing_harry_day_1_harry_potter_and_the_so rcerers_stone

katana
July 9th, 2009, 7:11 am
Someone on the forums here had the idea of a movie marathon just before HBP opens, and I think it's a great idea. I'm gonna watch the first three on Monday next week, and then GOF & OOTP on Tuesday and then see HBP on Wed.!!
I tried reading OOTP just before seeing the movie and because all of the book scenes were fresh in my mind, I had a harder time seeing the movie. I don't usually mind the way they do the movies, but reading OOTP first really made watching the movie hard. I had to see it a few times to get over it.

dchristen03
July 9th, 2009, 7:13 am
I don't know why but that Harry and Slughorn clip gives me chills :scared:

You're not alone! :)

It's one of my favorite parts in the book. I remember myself almost tearing when I first read it. You know because of Slughorn talking about how much he loved Lily... she was a really great witch. I think that part in the story will give everyone the chills.

SwedishSkinJer
July 9th, 2009, 7:18 am

It's one of my favorite parts in the book. I remember myself almost tearing when I first read it. You know because of Slughorn talking about how much he loved Lily... she was a really great witch. I think that part in the story will give everyone the chills.

There's a scene of Slughorn giving Harry the memory online?

I thought it was just the clip of Harry asking about Tom in Potions?

dchristen03
July 9th, 2009, 7:20 am
There's a scene of Slughorn giving Harry the memory online?

I thought it was just the clip of Harry asking about Tom in Potions?

I was referring to the part in the book, hahah.

katana
July 9th, 2009, 7:21 am
Here's the Emma Watson on David Letterman clip:

http://www.snitchseeker.com/harry-potter-news/video-emma-watson-late-show-david-letterman-65571/

SwedishSkinJer
July 9th, 2009, 7:29 am
Question, guys:

The wedding announcement was supposed to be in this film. How do you think they'll introduce it in the Deathly Hallows movies? Just suddenly have Bill/Fleur appear, announce it, and then have the wedding in the same movie? It would feel too abrupt.

Also, since they're introducing Percy in the next movie, how effective will it be? They didn't really have the subplot of him betraying his family in the movies, scolding Ron, etc

ally_xx
July 9th, 2009, 7:59 am

http://www.snitchseeker.com/harry-potter-news/video-emma-watson-late-show-david-letterman-65571/

Aww wow she looked so pretty!!! Loving that dress :)

lcbaseball22
July 9th, 2009, 8:12 am

Yeah, but that wasn't the scene I was referring to :lol: I was talking about Harry talking to Sluggy in the Potions classroom and it was chilling because Harry echoes Tom Riddle nearly word for word when he's trying to ask about Horcruxes. (though Harry of course doesn't know this)

Haven't watched the clip yet but I'm typing this AS I'm currently watching it on TV (if it's good I'll probably watch it again online) :p

Ha, she's so cute and lovely. I loved the jabs that went on back and forth. She confused Letterman while talking about liberal arts and then then he drills her on the technical aspects and physics of electric cars :lol: Oh my God, "Whoah, what's going on here?"..."uhm, this was a small wardbrobe malfunction...at least I was wearing underwear" :rotfl: Unfortunately the clip shown was nothing new...guess that's good :shrug:

yoshi2542
July 9th, 2009, 8:33 am
How are the reviews coming along? I read a couple in the Times and the Evening Standard (UK) and they both said pretty much the same thing, that it was an entry that never really manages to escape the 'more of the same' feeling, though Gambon and Broadbent bring something to the picture.

lcbaseball22
July 9th, 2009, 8:36 am
How are the reviews coming along? I read a couple in the Times and the Evening Standard (UK) and they both said pretty much the same thing, that it was an entry that never really manages to escape the 'more of the same' feeling, though Gambon and Broadbent bring something to the picture.

Really? :huh: I dont' recall reading that. Was that a quote or just your impression? Actaully like all the reviews have been quite positive. Only a couple kinda negative ones far as I recall and even those still gave a rating of 3/5 :) All the Twitter reviews have been fantastic as well.

The only real qualm some have had is that there is a bit too much romance (approx. 20 straight min in the middle says one person)...

Though, things change dramatically. Now we've got 20 minutes full of romance. There are almost no dark scenes from what I remember. The Quidditch Match was awesome but too small (like 30 seconds?). I may exaggerate though but it felt...too small. Lavender is great fun and then there's this scene with Hermione that's so emotional. Then there's the Party (some great funny moments with Hermione and Luna)and we're back at the Burrow

But I don't believe any have said it's "more of the same" Quite the contrary actaully, many have said it's like fresh and invigorating. :)

SwedishSkinJer
July 9th, 2009, 8:58 am
Agreed. Most of the reviews have said it's the best of the series, not necessarily more of the same.

Anyway, I think trusting reviews is overrated. Some of my favorite films of all time did poorly with the critics.

DML1991
July 9th, 2009, 9:05 am
Most of the reviews have been very enthusiastic, thanks to Leo on IMDb collecting all the reviews, there's been 43 postive and only 1 negative. It's average score on RT currently sits at 90%, also only with one negative review.

Alot of reviewers have called it the best, and several respectable critics in hollywood surprisingly raved about it, most notable Variety. Most critics have said the exact opposite of "more of the same", most say this one probably breaks the most ground in terms of character development and advancing the plot forward.

lcbaseball22
July 9th, 2009, 9:09 am
Agreed. Most of the reviews have said it's the best of the series, not necessarily more of the same.

Anyway, I think trusting reviews is overrated. Some of my favorite films of all time did poorly with the critics.

Yeah, and when I read reviews I just look for the overall consensus. Like if the majority say Jim Broadbent's acting was top notch, I'll probably see it the same way. Not gauranteed but I find there is a high probability. Also, I find their impressions of the technical aspects are typically valid. Where most of my discrepency comes with reviews is usually the script, how strong the different elements of the story are, and the overall quality of the film. Genre also plays a big factor I find...critics don't typically like non-serious films, they dig dramas

Most of the reviews have been very enthusiastic, thanks to Leo on IMDb collecting all the reviews, there's been 43 postive and only 1 negative. It's average score on RT currently sits at 90%, also only with one negative review.

Alot of reviewers have called it the best, and several respectable critics in hollywood surprisingly raved about it, most notable Variety. Most critics have said the exact opposite of "more of the same", most say this one probably breaks the most ground in terms of character development and advancing the plot forward.

Wow, there have been 43?! Do you by any chance have a link to this collection...like are they all consolidated into a post somewhere? :)

And yeah, most of the reviews essentially say that HBP shakes things up and breaks tradition (such as the opening sequence)

Here is a quote about the freshness and orginality this time:

Stunningly shot by Bruno Delbonnel in metallic hues leavened by buttery tones – his unique vision even brings a fresh perspective to the inevitable Quidditch scenes - this Harry is certainly a technical wizard of a film. While Prince never quite builds up to bone fide set pieces, sequences such as Dumbledore’s Moses moment parting the waves, or Bellatrix laying waste to Hogwarts’ famed dining halls, are individual classics. The thumping beats of Nicholas Hooper’s score bear little resemblance to the original and the overall effect is much less twee, much more grown-up.

DML1991
July 9th, 2009, 9:25 am
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0417741/board/flat/141373774

That quote does indeed sound great.

lcbaseball22
July 9th, 2009, 9:28 am
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0417741/board/flat/141373774

That quote does indeed sound great.

Sweet! Thanks, I think I missed like 10 of those...quite a few aren't ringing a bell :lol: Also didn't realize you meant JUST "official critics" reviews. So, I wonder when RT is going to update cause as of now they have only counted 10 :hmm: It's looking like another Star Trek :D

DML1991
July 9th, 2009, 9:33 am
Sweet! Thanks, I think I missed like 10 of those...quite a few aren't ringing a bell :lol: Also didn't realize you meant JUST "official critics" reviews. So, I wonder when RT is going to update cause as of now they have only counted 10 :hmm: It's looking like another Star Trek :DI almost find that the critics are giving it low ratings as almost being elitist about it, yet their reviews border on raves. Alot of them read as 4/5 reviews.

lcbaseball22
July 9th, 2009, 9:50 am
I almost find that the critics are giving it low ratings as almost being elitist about it, yet their reviews border on raves. Alot of them read as 4/5 reviews.

I'm not quite sure what you mean :hmm: Like deliberatly holding back a bit (3/5 intead of 4/5) cause it's not a typical genre they dig?

DML1991
July 9th, 2009, 9:51 am
I'm not quite sure what you mean :hmm: Like deliberatly dragging it down a bit (3/5 intead of 4/5) cause it's not a typical genre they dig?Whether it be for appearance, or just being harsh raters for the sake of it. Some of the ratings reek of elitism.

lcbaseball22
July 9th, 2009, 9:57 am
Whether it be for appearance, or just being harsh raters for the sake of it. Some of the ratings reek of elitism.

I'm still not quite sure what you mean...elitism? :huh: But I think it's well known critics rarely like genres such as romance, comedy, action, etc

DML1991
July 9th, 2009, 10:09 am
I'm still not quite sure what you mean...elitism? :huh:People who hold limited releases, art films, foreign, oscar-bait in higher regard to mainstream films. And have a pretentious approach to it. Not saying this is entirely the case, but I got this vibe a few times with the reviews. But I think it's well known critics rarely like genres such as romance, comedy, and actionI don't think this is the case. I think that while they may be too harsh with certain blockbusters, they're still looking for something that transcends mainstream cliche's, which seeminly HBP does, but I do think some people seem almost 'Pottered out'.

lcbaseball22
July 9th, 2009, 10:36 am
Looking through all the reviews at that link DML provided. Here is one I haven't seen posted here yet, it seems a bit so-so...another 3/5:

Verdict:

Twilight with laughs? Sort of. One of the Potter franchise’s breeziest entries yet offers flashes of darkness but lashings of teen tension. Less a movie than a set-up for next year’s epic conclusion. Bring on V-day.

This opening paragraph is hilarious :rotfl:

Ever since we walked in on Harry fumbling with his glowing wand under the bed sheets at the start of Azkaban, the Potter franchise has secretly been about (whisper it) s-e-x as much as anything else.

source- http://www.totalfilm.com/reviews/cinema/harry-potter-and-the-half-blood-prince

DML1991
July 9th, 2009, 10:37 am
That and several others were terribly written, and what's with the Twilight references? Seriously.

SwedishSkinJer
July 9th, 2009, 10:38 am
Like I said: I'll form my own opinion.

Yeah, the Twilight reference irked me, too. HP has a lot more depth than Twilight.

DML1991
July 9th, 2009, 10:41 am
Like I said: I'll form my own opinion.

Yeah, the Twilight reference irked me, too. HP has a lot more depth than Twilight.I don't even see the similarities.

lcbaseball22
July 9th, 2009, 10:43 am
That and several others were terribly written, and what's with the Twilight references? Seriously.

Well, it does have a lot of the same elements, both considered fantasy, and there is a crossover fan following.

But I can't tell if the comment is meant to be negative or not. Some of the reviews I've read say HBP went for more romance this time to draw in those that flocked to Twilight and were moving away from HP. Of course, this is mainly just the teen girls but they are significant

However, I think a lot of the reviewers don't realize that the BOOK itself had a lot of romance...and was BEFORE Twilight came out :lol:

SwedishSkinJer
July 9th, 2009, 10:47 am
I mean, with the cave scene, the final battle, the tower, fighting the Inferi, the scene with Katie Bell being cursed, the attack at the Burrow...there's a lot of action, I'd say. Still, the book did have romance in it. They'll be able to slowly shift the focus back to the adventure elements when the next film comes out.

DML1991
July 9th, 2009, 10:51 am
I don't think both being a fantasy or having romantic elements really counts as being strong similarities. I mean, Goodfellas and Public Enemies are both crime films and dramas, but are they similiar? Not really.

I don't see the similarities between HBP and Twilight, still.

lcbaseball22
July 9th, 2009, 10:55 am
I mean, with the cave scene, the final battle, the tower, fighting the Inferi, the scene with Katie Bell being cursed, the attack at the Burrow...there's a lot of action, I'd say. Still, the book did have romance in it. They'll be able to slowly shift the focus back to the adventure elements when the next film comes out.

Right, and upon reading further reviews (and those of fans) it seems the issue might be more along the lines of all the romance being clumped together rather than unbalanced overall. Like say you have 50 minutes of romance, 50 minutes of action, and 50 minutes of drama...that would be balanced, but if all the action is one loooong sequence it can wear on you (think Battle of Helm's Deep in LotR: TT or the desert battle in the recent Transformers sequel...both of those sequences were like at least 25 minutes long, it got boring eventually)

Hopefully this isn't the case with HBP. It's best to have these elements spread throughout the film, IMO...an even distribution :tu: :cool:

Pearl_Took
July 9th, 2009, 10:56 am
I don't see the similarities between HBP and Twilight, still.

Neither do I. :yuhup: Twilight makes HP look like Shakespeare ... :whistle:

The demographic seems slightly different too.

All this talk about HBP the film being 'talky' (certainly not a bad thing in my book :tu: ) and too romance-oriented ... well, HBP the book has a lot of romance, and is kind of episodic, more so than OotP was (which has quite a driving narrative, almost like a thriller). You do have a big emotional climax and setpiece at the end, obviously, but I'm not surprised the film-makers added the Burrow attack as well. :)

Anyway, I'm seeing the film on the 17th, at the London IMAX, so w00t. :cool:

lcbaseball22
July 9th, 2009, 11:12 am
Another (4 star) review I haven't seen posted here yet:

http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/other/display.var.2518742.0.Sixth_in_s%20eries_is_still_ spellbinding.php

I love how she describes it as a "rollercoaster ride" cause that's most definitely how I felt about the book...it was one hell of a rollercoaster ride, with light and dark transitions. It was balanced just perfectly IMO, with the romance serving as a distraction to the suspense/mystery.

While the suspense and mystery of the story has naturally lost it's effect due to knowing the ending, I still hope to feel like I'm experiencing this rollercoaster ride during the film as well. I don't expect it to have me on the edge of my seat like Star Trek or Transformers though...

SwedishSkinJer
July 9th, 2009, 11:21 am
I wonder if Dumbledore ever mentions Tom/Voldemort attempting to apply for the DADT position in the movie. That was a great scene in the sixth book. I wish they could have added one more memory.

lcbaseball22
July 9th, 2009, 11:26 am
I don't see a score for this one, but it's quite positive- http://scifiwire.com/2009/07/review-harry-potter-and-t.php

The main plot works itself out rather mechanically with surprises and double crosses, but since the majority of the audience knows the story already, this shouldn't be a problem. It's the nature of long-winded novel-style storytelling, but everyone likes it, so who's to complain by part six? Something about the inevitability makes Alan Rickman's delivery of Snape's lines awesome. Getting there is a visual thrill, with emotional treats along the way.

EDIT: Some more evidence of the clump of romance in the middle of the film:

Meanwhile, the film lags in the middle section, as it spends an inordinate amount of time focusing on the chaste romantic entanglements of Harry, Ron and Hermione, with the majority of attention focused on Rupert Grint's goofy Ron. For some inexplicable reason, he finds himself the object of desire for love-struck new girl Lavender Brown (Jessie Cave), something that blinds him to Hermione's feelings for him. (Emma Watson, sadly, has far less to do this time out.)

source- http://news.scotsman.com/entertainment/Film-review-Harry-Potter-and.5437394.jp (3 stars)

SwedishSkinJer
July 9th, 2009, 11:39 am
If it's done well, I don't mind at all.

lcbaseball22
July 9th, 2009, 11:44 am
If it's done well, I don't mind at all.

Yeah, well here is a (very positive) review that actaully says it's well balanced :lol:- http://www.buzzjack.com/story_284206.html

I had been worried about the level of romance in Half-Blood Prince and hearing the cast talk about the movie as a rom-com did not help. Thankfully Steve Kloves has hit the balance perfectly between romance and action and at no stage does it feel we have an overload of either

He agrees that Gambon's performance might be Oscar worthy:

One person however is the star of the movie.

Sir Michael Gambon has come in for some harsh criticisms over the past few years since he took over the role of Hogwarts Headmaster Albus Dumbledore. In Half-Blood Prince his performance has, by some reviewers already sparked some Oscar talk. I couldn’t agree more
And this sounds pretty damn good if I do say so myself :rockon:

At 153 minutes the sixth movie is a rollercoaster of emotions. From the sets to the costumes the entire film has a rich feel to it. The cinematography by Bruno Delbonnel is like nothing seen before in a Potter movie. Throw in Nicholas Hoopers stunningly composed score and I have to wonder, how many people won’t soon have a new favourite Potter movie?

EDIT:

Oh guys, I'm working on compiling a list of the various different ratings (ie how many 3/5's) based on the IMDB thread...I'll post that shortly

SwedishSkinJer
July 9th, 2009, 11:47 am
I mean, if the romance is genuinely funny/moving and works well, I don't mind if it's concentrated in the middle. I would only care if it's done poorly, and that draws you out of the experience and makes the distribution more noticeable.

decarus
July 9th, 2009, 1:13 pm
I really liked the Letterman interview with Emma. She did a great job joking with Dave which some people don't.

Right, and upon reading further reviews (and those of fans) it seems the issue might be more along the lines of all the romance being clumped together rather than unbalanced overall. Like say you have 50 minutes of romance, 50 minutes of action, and 50 minutes of drama...that would be balanced, but if all the action is one loooong sequence it can wear on you (think Battle of Helm's Deep in LotR: TT or the desert battle in the recent Transformers sequel...both of those sequences were like at least 25 minutes long, it got boring eventually)
I think i disagree that LOTR battles were boring at all. They were on the long side, but they were so amazing and split with a little Frodo and Sam. There is nothing like LOTR.

We all had better get used to the long battle too. If they split after the snatcher chase scene before Malfoy Manor then probably a good hour to an hour and a half will be the battle of hogwarts.

dchristen03
July 9th, 2009, 1:15 pm
Yeah, the Twilight reference irked me, too. HP has a lot more depth than Twilight.

I'm devoted to Harry Potter, it's my life. And just because it's my life, doesn't mean I should hate Twilight.

But I do.

It's just so irksome, and it just keeps repeating itself throughout the whole books. I don't understand how everyone compares that novel to Harry Potter. twilight isn't even worth capitalizing. It doesn't have a plot at all. I know this is no way to talk about it here, but I was referring to the twilight referrences above.

gertiekeddle
July 9th, 2009, 1:18 pm
I don't understand how everyone compares that novel to Harry Potter.You do yourself right now, although Twilight has nothing to do with this thread.

Let's go back on topic all, shall we?

dchristen03
July 9th, 2009, 1:20 pm
You do yourself right now, although Twilight has nothing to do with this thread.

Let's go back on topic all, shall we?

Agreed. :D

Anyway, I've just seen the reviews for HBP. I loved them all.

And plus, I think it's great that it's selling more midnight tickets than Transformers did! That's definitely saying something, as Transformers made alot! I can't wait to see the Box Office HBP will make!

darkevangelist
July 9th, 2009, 1:22 pm
heres a review I haven't seen posted anywhere

http://movieblog.ugo.com/movies/harry-potter-and-the-half-blood-prince-review

The reviewer gives it a B so its pretty positive.

gertiekeddle
July 9th, 2009, 1:23 pm
Anyway, I've just seen the reviews for HBP. I loved them all.

And plus, I think it's great that it's selling more midnight tickets than Transformers did! That's definitely saying something, as Transformers made alot! I can't wait to see the Box Office HBP will make!That's very positive for me, too. Since PoA I didn't enjoy the movies so much, so I hope the good critiques tell something. :)

dchristen03
July 9th, 2009, 1:24 pm
heres a review I haven't seen posted anywhere

http://movieblog.ugo.com/movies/harry-potter-and-the-half-blood-prince-review

The reviewer gives it a B so its pretty positive.

Well, I would have to say this reviewer is pretty good too, and yes, it's definitely positive as a B. That's pretty high.

SwedishSkinJer
July 9th, 2009, 1:24 pm
I really liked the Letterman interview with Emma. She did a great job joking with Dave which some people don't.

I think i disagree that LOTR battles were boring at all. They were on the long side, but they were so amazing and split with a little Frodo and Sam. There is nothing like LOTR.

We all had better get used to the long battle too. If they split after the snatcher chase scene before Malfoy Manor then probably a good hour to an hour and a half will be the battle of hogwarts.

Definitely not. They'll need at least the first one to do a bit of the story, and then another half hour to fourty-five minutes to lead up to the battle. The Battle of Hogwarts will be at least fourty-five minutes to an hour.

I honestly think they've done themselves into a hole by omitting a lot of the stuff that they decided to add in for the seventh part.

lcbaseball22
July 9th, 2009, 1:27 pm
Alright, as promised I tacked on the ratings to the list of reviews from IMDB:

42 positive, 1 negative (in blue...though I still don't see how 3/5 can be "negative" :err:)

-Hollywood.com: (highly positive)
http://tinyurl.com/q7n4fb
-Reviewed Online.co.uk: (4/5)
http://tinyurl.com/kkk62a
-The Sun: (highly positive)
http://tinyurl.com/mhq3qx
-The Shiznit.co.uk: (3/5)
http://tinyurl.com/m5rx8x
-The Guardian: (3/5)
http://tinyurl.com/lg4kt4
-Daily Mail.co.uk: (positive)
http://tinyurl.com/larf4h
-Variety: (positive)
http://tinyurl.com/p3llh7
-Hollywood Reporter: (positive)
http://tinyurl.com/pyk8mz
-Box Office.com: (4.5/5)
http://tinyurl.com/mspmfe
-Screen Daily: (positive)
http://tinyurl.com/l4rkqs
-Chud.com: (9.5/10)
http://tinyurl.com/ljksjm
-Scifi Movie Page.com: (3/5)
http://tinyurl.com/lfcdqa
-The Mercury.com.au: (positive)
http://tinyurl.com/mevy8l
-Hitflix.com: (highly positive)
http://tinyurl.com/l9ws7w
-This Is London.co.uk: (3/5)
http://tinyurl.com/npkv3r
-Yahoo! Movies UK: (positive)
http://tinyurl.com/mxvzag
-Telegraph.co.uk: (3/5)
http://tinyurl.com/nu579n
-IGN Movies: (4/5)
http://tinyurl.com/l7tfur
-Joblo.com: (9/10)
http://tinyurl.com/l8dql8
-Digital Spy.com: (4/5)
http://tinyurl.com/km2hlf
-Coming Soon.net: (7.5/10)
http://tinyurl.com/n6jhp7
-Country Life.co.uk: (highly positive)
http://tinyurl.com/lb2lqg
-Couriermail.com.au: (positive)
http://tinyurl.com/nmrhy7
-Sound Screen.co.uk: (highly positive)
http://tinyurl.com/moqafx
-Buzz Jack.com: (highly positive)
http://tinyurl.com/n36u3x
-Times Online.co.uk: (3/5)
http://tinyurl.com/lhjkwk
-Independent.co.uk: (3/5)
http://tinyurl.com/nlhwkg
-Scotsman.com: (3 stars)
http://tinyurl.com/ms6wmj
-Sci Fi Wire.com: (positive)
http://tinyurl.com/klt96c
-The Herald.co.uk: (4 stars)
http://tinyurl.com/m8upsg
-Hey U Guys.co.uk: (highly positive)
http://tinyurl.com/nmh2lc
-Cine Players.com: (8.5/10)
http://tinyurl.com/ln5484
-Total Film.com: (3 stars)
http://tinyurl.com/kkwcmn
-Den Of Geek.com: (4/5)
http://tinyurl.com/nouqwq
-BBC News: (positive)
http://tinyurl.com/kqpsjb
-Daily Express: (highly positive)
http://tinyurl.com/ksxm3o
-CBBC Newsround: (3/5)
http://tinyurl.com/norhsa
-News Shopper.co.uk: (4 stars)
http://tinyurl.com/na2kqg
-Empire: (3/5)
http://tinyurl.com/mvkuxq
-The London Paper.com: (3/5)
http://tinyurl.com/mth8to
-In The News.co.uk: (6/10)
http://tinyurl.com/lf8jw2
-SFX.co.uk: (3/5)
http://tinyurl.com/lg9dlh
-Oh My News: (highly positive)
http://tinyurl.com/kwt3kp
-Cinema Blend: (3.5/5)
http://tinyurl.com/nuryrl

They break down like this:

3/5 = 13
3.5/5 = 1
4/5 = 6
4.5/5 = 1
6/10 = 1
7.5/10 = 1
8.5/10 = 1
9/10 = 1
9.5/10 = 1

Ok, to make it easier I'm going to put them all on a 10 scale:

6/10 = 14
7/10 = 1
7.5 = 1
8/10 = 6
9/10 = 2
9.5/10 = 1

AND

9 highly positive
9 positive

I was referring to the Battle of Helm's Deep specifically...which as I recall was not split up at all, just 20-25 minutes of non-stop battle. You're right about DH, but I don't anticipate this being a problem because there is so much more to work with...it's not just swords clashing and bows and arrows so I don't expect it to get tiring and monotonous like the LotR battles. Battle of Hogwarts should be awesome! :D

SwedishSkinJer
July 9th, 2009, 1:36 pm
I wonder if they will have the house elves in the final battle. :P

The elves haven't been in the movies at all. No SPEW, Winky, etc...

How will Hermione kiss Ron without his remark about the elves after the battle? =(

DML1991
July 9th, 2009, 1:36 pm
At least the majority of the reviews are positive and above.

Well, the vast majority of the reviews, actually. :lol:

lcbaseball22
July 9th, 2009, 1:39 pm
At least the majority of the reviews are positive and above.

Well, the vast majority of the reviews, actually. :lol:

Yep, ok that was kinda a mess...for just those with a star/number rating actaully given this is what we have (once again on a 10 scale)

6/10 = 14 reviews
7/10 = 1 review
7.5/10 = 1 review
8/10 = 6 reviews
9/10 = 2 reviews
9.5/10 = 1 review

Wanted to note that a lot of those which DONT give an actual rating (unfortunately) look to me to be some would be 8's, 9's, or 10's :cool:

SwedishSkinJer
July 9th, 2009, 1:43 pm
Also, here are the English lyrics for In Noctem (one of the best songs in the HBP, imo):

Carry my soul into the night
May the stars light my way
I glory in the sight
As darkness; takes the day.

Sing a song, a song of life
Made without regret
Tell the ones, the ones I love,
I never will forget.

ThaiHPFan
July 9th, 2009, 2:00 pm
I don't think 3/5 really equals 6/10. IMO, 3 out of 5 stars can mean a lot of things depending on the reviewer. Some may consider it really entertaining while some may think the film's just OK/watchable (while 6/10 is probably just "barely watchable"). Some reviewers may not even like the film but give it 3 stars just because of the overall acting and techincal quality (I think that's the case with the only negative review so far).

SwedishSkinJer
July 9th, 2009, 2:06 pm
Great news, people. I was conversing with someone who saw the film at the premiere over Twitter, and asked him about Snape's lines as Harry is chasing him. He confirmed that Snape says, "How dare you use my own spells against me, Potter!"

He also confirmed that we still see McGonnagal and the students looking up at the sky, but the chorus is the only thing that is cut.

lcbaseball22
July 9th, 2009, 2:08 pm

Yeah, I loved it too. She can be sexy but here she's so cute and playful. :lol: I almost expected her to present a new clip but I wasn't too surprised to find out it was of the library scene...the one we've seen in like every single bit of promotional material after the first trailer :lol:

Does anyone know if any of the stars will be on any of the other late night shows? I think last year Dan was on Leno and Emma on Letterman...or vice versa. I'm wondering though, with Conan taking over for Leno now will he have one of the Potter actors as a guest? Did Conan ever have one of them on his show before? Hmm, I do seem to remember one of them being on Conan but perhaps I'm wrong :hmm:

I don't think 3/5 really equals 6/10. IMO, 3 out of 5 stars can mean a lot of things depending on the reviewer. Some may consider it really entertaining while some may think the film's just OK/watchable (while 6/10 is probably just "barely watchable"). Some reviewers may not even like the film but give it 3 stars just because of the overall acting and techincal quality (I think that's the case with the only negative review so far).

There is no difference, exactly the same, equivalent...you're doubling the score but you're also doubling what it is out of...so it's a wash :p

IMO, 4/10 is "barely watchable" and 6/10 is average and a pretty good score :shrug:

9th_Wonder
July 9th, 2009, 2:32 pm
Does anyone know if any of the stars will be on any of the other late night shows? I think last year Dan was on Leno and Emma on Letterman...or vice versa. I'm wondering though, with Conan taking over for Leno now will he have one of the Potter actors as a guest? Did Conan ever have one of them on his show before? Hmm, I do seem to remember one of them being on Conan but perhaps I'm wrong :hmm:

Late Show with David Letterman
-Emma Watson: July 8
-Daniel Radcliffe: July 9

It's On with Alexa Chung:
-Daniel Radcliffe: Thursday, July 9

Live with Regis and Kelly:
-Rupert Grint: Thursday, July 9
-Daniel Radcliffe: Friday, July 10
-Emma Watson: Monday, July 13

NBC's Today Show:
-Daniel Radcliffe and Rupert Grint: Friday, July 10

DML1991
July 9th, 2009, 3:01 pm
It is actually true though that in some people's minds, actually quite many, that 3/5 is more positive than 6/10.

SwedishSkinJer
July 9th, 2009, 3:05 pm
This is odd.

Someone who saw the film said they couldn't remember the "I am not worried, Harry. I am with you" line, so they think it was cut. I just hope that's a case of a bad memory, because they would be foolish to cut that line out.

TheVeilofDeath
July 9th, 2009, 3:32 pm
***FFFFFFFF?????XD:wow:

Nooooo, this cannot be true.
THISS line CUUUUUUTTTTTTTT????:yuhup:
:no::no::no::no::no:
I'll cry out of anger if this is true.
Oh, please not.
I'll kill Yates.:nc:

Thranduil1990
July 9th, 2009, 3:34 pm
This is odd.

Someone who saw the film said they couldn't remember the "I am not worried, Harry. I am with you" line, so they think it was cut. I just hope that's a case of a bad memory, because they would be foolish to cut that line out.

i have asked twice or three times, and nobody can remember it, so i guess it's out of the film.
it hurts...:sad:

SwedishSkinJer
July 9th, 2009, 3:36 pm
Looks like they cut the line out. Sorry, guys. No "I am with you."

TheVeilofDeath
July 9th, 2009, 3:38 pm
Yates, I'll dig your grave, ok?
No, this is BLASPHEMY:no:

SwedishSkinJer
July 9th, 2009, 3:40 pm
Well, I'll ask around and see if other people that attended the early screenings can remember, but it looks like they decided to cut the "I am with you" line.

Thranduil1990
July 9th, 2009, 3:45 pm
I hope it will be in the Dvd version, :sad:
does anybody know if the film cuts right after the fire storm to the astronomy tower, or we actually see dumbledore and harry leaving the cave?

SwedishSkinJer
July 9th, 2009, 3:54 pm
Here's some of the things he told me (not really spoilers, but info about what he saw in the movie):

The Aragog burial scene was pretty funny, Harry went into full comedy mode, and Jim Broadbent was excellent and Hagrid was the same old Hagrid.
In the Spinners end scene, we see wormtail open the door to Bellatrix and Narcissa, and then inside he's listening at the door and snape waves his wand and the door slams shut on wormtail.
Theres a scene in the corridor and its Ron and Harry laughing at all the first years and then Mcgonnagal comes along saying he should be in potions and then it plays out like the scene in the book and she tells him he only needs an exceeds expectations owl to be in slughorns class and to take Ron with him.
As I have said before, I can never remember hearing the full "In Noctem" track, but you do hear bits of it throughout.

Yeah Harry shows the note to Hermione and tells her the locket is fake. And yeah the Dumbledore with Draco scene is pretty close to the book and he tells him he knew about it all. And yes Snape says how dare you use my own spell against me and then reveals he is the half-blood prince.

GingerPeachy
July 9th, 2009, 3:58 pm
I wonder if they will have the house elves in the final battle. :P

The elves haven't been in the movies at all. No SPEW, Winky, etc...

How will Hermione kiss Ron without his remark about the elves after the battle? =(

He could make it in regards to Dobby...also, there will be scenes with Kreacher in DH, so I'd expect us to see that SPEW-y side of Hermione at LEAST twice before they kiss :) At least, I hope so. That was such an awesome moment in the book.

And in regards to the "I am with you" line, what the eff?! That's awful. It's four words that would have made the days of us hardcore fans. If they cut out "NOT MY DAUGHTER" in DH 2, I'm going to scream it anyway.

hbponjuly15
July 9th, 2009, 3:58 pm
It should be sometime tomorrow, July 9.

Something funny happened to me today. Yesterday I purchased a ticket for the film for the 7:30PM showing on July 16 from Fandango. It cost me $11.50!. I misunderstood what the instructions on the printout said about using the ticket so I went to the theater today to see if I can get a ticket stub (I keep records of my theater outings and I assumed that I would be given one when I showed up for the film). They said I just needed to go inside the theater to the person manning the podium and hand them the printed ticket. They will scan it and let me through. So I wasted gas. I could have called, though.

well for me u i ot the midniht showing at the cinemark 9.50 each person over 10 and u can pick up the tickets there on the ngit of the showing or [like me] go pick em up early so u can stare at em for hous a day....:tu:....hope we can get a seat!!!!

ThaiHPFan
July 9th, 2009, 4:11 pm
Rachezee has confirmed that the line is in the test screening version though. But you never know what they did to the film after that.

I can think of one reason they cut the line. It will make little sense if Harry can suddenly apparate by himself. In the book it's Ok because they've had the apparation lesson so he at least knows what to do, but not in the film, so MAYBE they just skip that moment to avoid a plot hole.

IMO, I can tolerate any size of plot hole just to hear Dumbledore say that great line. :(

SwedishSkinJer
July 9th, 2009, 4:13 pm
If any of you guys know someone who's seen the final film at a screening (not a test screening), contact them and see if they remember if that great "I am with you" line is still in the movie.

How does it work in the movie after the cave? Do they immediately Apparate after Dumbledore conjures the fire?

BubbleSnake
July 9th, 2009, 4:17 pm
"NOT MY DAUGHTER" in DH 2, I'm going to scream it anyway.

Oh it will be cut... it will :p but I hope not =/

Sooo I saw the 2 Behind the scenes videos snitchseeker posted, and I'm curious if that the lines Bellatrix says are in during the hagrids hut burning, cuz they are just horrible, if im not mistaken its "Hagrid Helloooooo Wakey Wakey?" or something like that in the video. :P

TheVeilofDeath
July 9th, 2009, 4:22 pm
I just asked a german one, and she said she also could not remember that line.

SwedishSkinJer
July 9th, 2009, 4:23 pm
That's just ridiculous.

NumberEight
July 9th, 2009, 4:29 pm
Yes, having that line would be great but it's not the end of the world, guys. Maybe they got rid of it because the delivery was all wrong and it sounded cheesy.

hbponjuly15
July 9th, 2009, 4:33 pm
i think that..well I CANT WAIT i think this movie is going to protray everytnihng....except do you notice how arr y is with ginny alot more that he should..they even go and try to find draco together...i mean why r they together so much..well i just need it 2 come out now!!!!!!!!!

ThaiHPFan
July 9th, 2009, 4:34 pm
Yes, having that line would be great but it's not the end of the world, guys. Maybe they got rid of it because the delivery was all wrong and it sounded cheesy.

With all the praises Gambon's getting I seriously doubt that's the case. Oh well, maybe it's best that I know about this before watching the film.:no:

darkevangelist
July 9th, 2009, 4:39 pm
here's a negative review 2 1/2 stars

http://newsblaze.com/story/20090709082721mill.nb/topstory.html

Sesquipedalian
July 9th, 2009, 4:39 pm
With all the praises Gambon's getting I seriously doubt that's the case. Oh well, maybe it's best that I know about this before watching the film.:no:

According to Racheeze, she believed that Gambon used too much strength when delivering the line, given that he had just drank a potion that decreased his health by quite a bit. Perhaps Warner Bros. and the filmmakers deemed that delivery, as well as any other takes, of that line unusable, and Gambon refused to re-record it? If such was the case, I can see the reasoning in cutting the line.

Honestly, this does not faze me too greatly; I am not one to act as though the apocolypse is upon us when the filmmakers decide to cut mere dialogue from the book. Many of the reviews have praised the cave scene, thus far, and, therefore, I believe that it will be as excellent without the line as it was without it.

SwedishSkinJer
July 9th, 2009, 4:46 pm
here's a negative review 2 1/2 stars

http://newsblaze.com/story/20090709082721mill.nb/topstory.html

Prairie Millie is a terrible reviewer. Notice her excessive prose.

GingerPeachy
July 9th, 2009, 4:54 pm
The disappointing thing is that the delivery (at least the way I pictured it) was always kind of simply said. Does anyone agree with that? I mean, true Harry and Dumbledore are going into the line of fire, but regardless, there can be small and introspective moments amidst chaos. We saw that in the Department of Ministries in OotP (I'm thinking of Sirius and Harry's moment).

It pains me to think, probably correctly, that Gambon didn't agree with me :(

darkevangelist
July 9th, 2009, 4:54 pm
Yeah, I noticed that. She's also a bombastic loudmouth too. I wasn't very impressed when I read her writing.

SwedishSkinJer
July 9th, 2009, 4:56 pm
I wouldn't count Prairie's view. She can never make sense, and she's more concerned with adjectives and excessive pop culture references than actually informing us about the movie.

hbponjuly15
July 9th, 2009, 5:18 pm
i would like to see the result of the astronomy scene..it has to be rght..and i would like to see in the slugorn memory riddle's wild happiness look...and the part when harry gets toghter and all the memories need to be perfect..

sambow87
July 9th, 2009, 5:42 pm
In the Italian Behind the Scenes, I think it's video 4, there is a fantastic clip with Harry asking Katie Bell who cursed her. I really hope that plays out scene for scene in the movie, it gave my chills.

Also fantastic new clip which will clear up some questions regarding Lupin's line in the trailer :)

http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/2009/7/9/new-clip-from-half-blood-prince-lupin-tonks-at-the-burrow