The All-Inclusive HBP Movie Thread v. 17 - incl. movie spoilers

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14]

Atreides
July 14th, 2009, 8:00 pm
I'm sorry, but that wouldn't work for me, unfortunately, and I'm still holding out hope that I didn't interpret that part properly. I think it would come off as very contrived for Dumbledore to have intended this, and to somehow make sure that Harry overpowers Draco... What makes the most sense to me and has always done is that his intent was to neutralize the wand, and secure Snape's position in Voldemort's camp, and to spare Draco from the act of killing. Making sure that Draco disarmed him so that at some random point that Dumbledore cannot in any way control so he couldn't set up Harry overpowering Draco. Whatever, I guess we'll eventually see what they have decided to do, but right now it does look like Dumbledore wanted it to happen that way. I just don't like that right now. Maybe it will grow on me, but I don't think so.

I'm also uncomfortable with the idea of Dumbledore planning Harry to overpower Draco, but more at one with the idea that Dumbledore intended Malfoy to take the wand, but Snape kill him, so that Voldemort wouldn't suspect the true master of the wand.

phoenix88
July 14th, 2009, 8:02 pm
I still have 12 hrs to wait over here (sigh). The rest of you are so forunate!!! Wish I could be seeing it now too, but still have basically a whole day to wait.

boushh
July 14th, 2009, 8:03 pm
boushh what exactly happens during the Hogwarts chase/fight scene?

We've heard various things from people who saw it :

-The Death Eaters act like 'vandals'...they shoot few spells around and destroy some things like a wall, a statue on their way to the Great Hall. So there's still tension,darkness and action right?

The windows do get blown out and the candles are frozen and snuffed out.

-The three Aurors who protect the Great Hall in the Opening Feast are seen. Snape shoots a spell to one who is probably stunned. Is that correct too?

There is an obvious Auror presence early on in the film and one of the Aurors is blasted back, I believe in the Great Hall. It is unclear who casts the spell. It could be anyone. The spell comes from out of the frame and he gets blown back. When the Death Eater group comes into view they are all walking as a group and then Snape sort of surges forward. So you could interpret it more than one way I think.

-Critics and non-fans said that the Great Hall destruction scene is one of the most epic moments in the series. They said they use different camera angles and the cinematography is amazing. What was your opinion?

I thought the whole ending sequence was pretty intense and dramatic, and the entire film is shot incredibly well, so this is no different.

-What happens after they leave the Great Hall? Others say it cuts to the Grounds and others that they pass through a couple of places before they walk down the hill.

Well we do see some of them running down the stairs from the Astronomy tower, the Great Hall, the wooded area of the grounds, then they end up by Hagrid's hut. There is quite a bit of inter-cutting between the DE's and Harry, if I remember right.

-Does Harry shoot only 2 spells to Snape? Some said that before the other DEs leave Harry shoots lots of spells...one after the other which are ALL deflected by Snape.
So?

I want to say that it's at least three. I'm not positive though. They aren't really back to back if I'm remembering right because other stuff is happening, like Bella and burning the hut, and then Harry getting crucio'd (though I can't remember if this is actually the spell that is used against him by Bella). And yes, Snape deflects everything.

-Overall...what did you think of the chase? Of course the background battle is cut (it would have been few seconds on screen anyway...so no big loss for me) but I want this to be suspenseful,intense,dark and epic. I hope the cinematography works well because the shots we've seen with the Dark Mark and the Snape duel scene look like paintings!

It all looks great, is very intense and is well acted. I just wish there was more by Hagrid's house. It felt like there needed to be more, even without taking the book stuff into account. What was there was excellent though, which just makes me want more even more! :)

Obviously some of this is just my opinion, so you all may feel differently. :)

JoAdams
July 14th, 2009, 8:09 pm
So how was the cinematography of the scene?
Were even the interior shots of the castle shot in an alluring way like the pics with the Dark Mark and Snape? Because if this scene is looking like a painting (mostly the exterior shots) then I'll be just...HAPPY. I'm a fan of cinematography and technical aspects that's why I'm asking ;)

And so Snape is deflecting lots of spells...right?
I want this to last a bit...not just one-two spells...and that's it.

So how long would you say the whole chase lasts?

And...the DEs only destroy the Great Hall...? They're not even breaking a wall or something? Because some people said so..:(

boushh
July 14th, 2009, 8:21 pm
So how was the cinematography of the scene?
Were even the interior shots of the castle shot in an alluring way like the pics with the Dark Mark and Snape? Because if this scene is looking like a painting (mostly the exterior shots) then I'll be just...HAPPY. I'm a fan of cinematography and technical aspects that's why I'm asking ;)

The cinematography and all the technical aspects are excellent. I don't think you'll be disappointed. :)

And so Snape is deflecting lots of spells...right?
I want this to last a bit...not just one-two spells...and that's it.

Spoilers for the Flight of the Prince portion...

It's at least two spells, possibly three... That section... isn't long. So be prepared. I wanted it to be longer, and I feel it should have been longer. Cutting out DADA affected that scene too much. I wish there was more to talk about for them, or to do there. I just wanted more. What is there is great though.

So how long would you say the whole chase lasts?

It's hard to say. It's really fast paced.

And...the DEs only destroy the Great Hall...? They're not even breaking a wall or something? Because some people said so..:(

It's hard to remember everything. :) I mean I didn't come out of the theater with the move imprinted on my brain. :) They may have done more damage, but I can't remember. The stuff that stood out most was the Great Hall stuff and the blasting of the Auror.

AccioHP
July 14th, 2009, 8:25 pm
I just skimmed through alot of pages. A little over 8 HOURS until the film. I still haven't got my tickets yet but I'm planning on going to a midnight showing where I am on vacation. Im going to get them soon!!! :)

JoAdams
July 14th, 2009, 8:27 pm
Thanks. :)

Do we see any walk in Hogsmeade?

boushh
July 14th, 2009, 8:28 pm
Thanks. :)

Do we see any walk in Hogsmeade?

Yes, but it's very snowy. :)

Willz
July 14th, 2009, 8:29 pm
This time in 24 hours I will be in the cinema.

Seems like a lifetime away :D

phoenix88
July 14th, 2009, 8:29 pm
Thanks for all the details boush.

I knew the flight of the prince was really trimmed down, so I am trying to have really low expectations. I purposely avoided the book during the entire delay so I won't keep comparing the movie to it.

I am just glad we at least get the "fight back you coward" line. All the nonreaders really needs to be stunned speechless when Snape kills DD just like we were when we read the book... it really was ( as master puts it) an Empire Strikes Back moment!! It does kind of remind me of how Luke reacts when he finds out Darth Vader is his father.

Does Snape reveal he is the half blood prince at that point and get angry at Harry when Harry tries to use some his own spells on him?

JoAdams
July 14th, 2009, 8:31 pm
Yes, but it's very snowy. :)

The script said Trio walks around and sees few shops and sees Neville and others...and they also walk with Hagrid. They even talk about the HBP book. So all is there? :)

lcbaseball22
July 14th, 2009, 8:46 pm
Yes, I can't figure that out either. How hard would it have been to just include a flash of the cup?:huh:

Yeah, I dunno...and especially when they specifically cast someone for their HANDS for this part :lol: :hmm:

Well we do see some of them running down the stairs from the Astronomy tower, the Great Hall, the wooded area of the grounds, then they end up by Hagrid's hut. There is quite a bit of inter-cutting between the DE's and Harry, if I remember right.

Do we see them cross the bridge? I mean that is the only way over to Hagrid's right? I think it'd be cool to see Harry chase Snape across the bridge. What you described sounds like more of Mark Day's famous editing though...cutting out most of the chase. At least it's not as bad as MoD was fearing, cutting directly from the Astronomy Tower to the outside ground...giving a whole new meaning "cut to the chase" :lol:

How was the editing of the film overall? Better than OotP? I surely hope so...

Spoilers for the Flight of the Prince portion...

It's at least two spells, possibly three... That section... isn't long. So be prepared. I wanted it to be longer, and I feel it should have been longer. Cutting out DADA affected that scene too much. I wish there was more to talk about for them, or to do there. I just wanted more. What is there is great though.

Yeah, I can imagine. For one you lose the "keep your mouth shut and your mind closed" line or whatever it was that was set up by them learning non-verbal spells. It was almost like Snape was still teaching him during the battle...or taunting him rather maybe. I guess in the scheme of things non-verbal spells didn't have much importance to the series. They were used quite a bit but they weren't as significant as I thought they'd be. Besides, in the films they've been using non-verbal spells throughout :lol: Still would have been cool to have that though.

boushh
July 14th, 2009, 8:48 pm
Does Snape reveal he is the half blood prince at that point and get angry at Harry when Harry tries to use some his own spells on him?

Details about Snape and Harry confrontation...

Sometime after Harry shoots a couple of spells that are deflected and I believe after Snape tells the DE's to leave Harry alone and to leave (he may say to leave him and Harry alone) Alan Rickman does this really cool thing which is subtle but I loved... He sort of pauses with his back to Harry, while Harry is on the floor. He looks almost pained... like he doesn't want to leave... just from the way his posture is and his subtle movements. I believe that is when Harry tries to use Sectumsempra while Snape's back is turned. Snape may be turning around at this point, but I think his back is turned and he only turns around when he hears the beginning of the spell being spoken... He deflects it and that's when he comes close to Harry, and says the line about daring to use his own spells against him. He moves closer to Harry, hovers above him and says, "Yes, I am the HBP". There may be a lingering sort of look between them... there are lots of those all over the film... and Snape kicks Harry's wand out of the way and leaves.

The script said Trio walks around and sees few shops and sees Neville and others...and they also walk with Hagrid. They even talk about the HBP book. So all is there? :)

They do talk about the potions book on the way to Hogsmeade and the Three Broomsticks. They see Slughorn and Flitwick on the way there. The conversation about the potions book is that Harry stays up late reading it and stuff. Ron is teasing him about it. They see Hagrid during the Katie Bell scene. Not sure I remember Neville in Hogseade, but he could be...

cptZachsparrow
July 14th, 2009, 8:51 pm
Okay thinking back on the book I'm getting mad. They cut the whole non-verbal plot. "Blocked again and again until you learn to keep your mouth shut and your mind closed, Potter!" Gone. HBP is not just a setup to the Horcruxes, it's also the setup for Snape's loyalty being answered in DH! I know its been said that Snape gets more attention than the other films but that's not saying much, is it?

I also read a review from AICN that made a good point. Harry really looks up to the Prince in the book, defending him to his friends and spending hours at a time with the Prince's book. The film doesn't emphasize this enough, and the reveal of Snape as the Prince doesn't carry the weight it should as a result. If that's true, then I'm even more concerned.

I haven't seen it but I don't care. The movie is about the Half-Blood Prince. That should have been the main storyline. All other concerns should have been secondary. It sounds like half the movie is dark and half the movie is a rom com. Oy.

boushh
July 14th, 2009, 8:53 pm
Do we see them cross the bridge? I mean that is the only way over to Hagrid's right? I think it'd be cool to see Harry chase Snape across the bridge. What you described sounds like more of Mark Day's famous editing though...cutting out most of the chase. At least it's not as bad as MoD was fearing, cutting directly from the Astronomy Tower to the outside ground...giving a whole new meaning "cut to the chase" :lol:

How was the editing of the film overall? Better than OotP? I surely hope so...

I don't remember them crossing the bridge, but they may have. Like I said earlier, you can't remember every little detail after only seeing the film once. :) And I had no problems with Mark Day's editing in OotP and I think he gets unfairly criticized here because he is not a lone decision maker when it comes to editing. I strongly, strongly doubt that he is making all of the decisions. If Yates and Heyman did not want these films to be edited this way then they would not be edited this way.

I thought the editing of the film was just fine. Some of the clips we have scene such as the orphanage and the burrow are edited down clips. There is more to both of those scenes.

Yeah, I can imagine. For one you lose the "keep your mouth shut and your mind closed" line or whatever it was that was set up by them learning non-verbal spells. It was almost like Snape was still teaching him during the battle...or taunting him rather maybe. I guess in the scheme of things non-verbal spells didn't have much importance to the series. They were used quite a bit but they weren't as significant as I thought they'd be. Besides, in the films they've been using non-verbal spells throughout :lol: Still would have been cool to have that though.

Well Harry does use non-verbal spells when he is hidden in DH, so they were important. And IMHO, Snape was teaching him during that last confrontation... or at least trying to impart information in an intense way. :lol:

phoenix88
July 14th, 2009, 8:56 pm
[QUOTE=boushh;5357416]Details about Snape and Harry confrontation...

Sometime after Harry shoots a couple of spells that are deflected and I believe after Snape tells the DE's to leave Harry alone and to leave (he may say to leave him and Harry alone) Alan Rickman does this really cool thing which is subtle but I loved... He sort of pauses with his back to Harry, while Harry is on the floor. He looks almost pained... like he doesn't want to leave... just from the way his posture is and his subtle movements. I believe that is when Harry tries to use Sectumsempra while Snape's back is turned. Snape may be turning around at this point, but I think his back is turned and he only turns around when he hears the beginning of the spell being spoken... He deflects it and that's when he comes close to Harry, and says the line about daring to use his own spells against him. He moves closer to Harry, hovers above him and says, "Yes, I am the HBP". There may be a lingering sort of look between them... there are lots of those all over the film... and Snape kicks Harry's wand out of the way and leaves.

That sounds really good boush- it looks like they kept to the book and I know Alan Rickman will do a fantastic job. It surprised me that in a recent interview he has never read the books. He seems to get snape so well.

lcbaseball22
July 14th, 2009, 9:02 pm
Details about Snape and Harry confrontation...

Well, I'll have to wait to see for myself but that sounds really great actaully. Only thing that really seems missing far as I can tell is the line referring to NV spells. But we at least get Harry trying to use Sectumsempra and Snape's line about using his own spells on him...and of course the REVEAL that he is the HBP. Thank God they at least answer the question posed by the title of the book- "who is the HBP?" :lol:

They really didn't exchange that many spells in the book either, did they? Oh, I gotta ask though with Buckbuck's interference cut then they've naturallly removed the part where it felt like Snape was blinded by his rage and wanted to hurt...or even kill Harry, right?

Now there's a line I'm mad they cut. "Blocked again and again until you learn to keep your mouth shut and your mind closed, Potter!"

I get the feeling that there will be a fan backlash over this film actually. Now that I think about how much of DH is dependant on HBP and the plotholes we've already found, I'm irritated.

Yeah, I'm a bit irritated that line is omitted too. I really loved that line, but it wouldn't make much sense without the DADA class, right? ;) I don't think there will be that much of a backlash, perhaps but I think is the film is as good as everyone says these things will be overlooked. It would nice if this film was like the other big fandom released this year- Star Trek...that seemed to please both the critics AND fans.

boushh
July 14th, 2009, 9:03 pm
That sounds really good boush- it looks like they kept to the book and I know Alan Rickman will do a fantastic job. It surprised me that in a recent interview he has never read the books. He seems to get snape so well.

I don't know how true that is. It seemed to me from other interviews that he at least knows what happens in DH, whether he read it himself or not. I know in the past he never read them, but I'm not so sure this still is the case... at least not to the extreme of not knowing what happens until he gets the script. I was surprised to read that comment from Gambon.

Plus he's been spoiled about certain things about Snape via JKR since the first movie.

lcbaseball22
July 14th, 2009, 9:04 pm
I thought the editing of the film was just fine. Some of the clips we have scene such as the orphanage and the burrow are edited down clips. There is more to both of those scenes.

If you don't mind me asking this question again...just for further confirmation:

All of Greyback's lines have been cut?! Specifically that disturbing one- "don't you smell clean?"

boushh
July 14th, 2009, 9:05 pm
If you don't mind me asking this question again...just for further confirmation:

All of Greyback's lines have been cut?! Specifically that disturbing one- "don't you smell clean?"

Yeah no lines. I wish his Astronomy tower line was there, but oh well.

Noldus
July 14th, 2009, 9:07 pm
Which music did they use through the chase scene?

TheVeilofDeath
July 14th, 2009, 9:15 pm
@boushh

Is the "I am with you" line really cut?

And what music did they play during the end credits? Not Weasley stomp, did they?:grumble: I thought that was much too light.

And, when doe we get to see the attack on hogwarts, that is somehow deflected by some blue shield, or sth, the scene is rumoured to take place during the opening feast. Is that correct?

BubbleSnake
July 14th, 2009, 9:21 pm
Boushh Is the whole Mcgonagall looking into the sky, Ron and Hermione looking at the window, and Snape looking out the window, and Draco opening the vanishing cabinet part there before the Lightning struck tower? I heard the other day it was in from someone that saw it, and today someone said it wasnt there on another forum...lol so i'm not sure who's right :p

skimming back pages, I dont think that anyone has asked you this yet :hmm:

darkevangelist
July 14th, 2009, 9:26 pm
For those of you who aren't keeping up wit RT, HBP is still at 100% with the "Top Critics". Personally I'm getting a little scared of my expectations.

Boushh, How was Dan's acting when DD died? Was it emotional enough for you?

Edit: The perfect streak is over for the top critics. Manhola Dargis splatted it.

SwedishSkinJer
July 14th, 2009, 9:28 pm
Currently, this is the best reviewed HP film on RottenTomatoes.

The reviews are overwhelmingly positive. One reviewer called the film a masterpiece.

Consensus: Dark, thrilling, and occasionally quite funny, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is also visually stunning and emotionally satisfying.

^

Official RT consensus.

GinnyPotter15
July 14th, 2009, 9:36 pm
I Am Now Driving To The Theatres To See The Midnight Show People, Be Happy For Me.

SwedishSkinJer
July 14th, 2009, 9:37 pm
A new 1/5 review on RottenTomatoes:

An ungainly tween romcom sprinkled arbitrarily with a sudden horde of amphibious zombies; inexplicable cameos from Ursa, Non, and Zod; and silly broomstick rugby.

They conclude by calling HBP a boring failure.

A new 2.5/5 review from a top critic on RT:

The lag time between the final books and the movies has drained much of the urgency from this screen adaptation, which, far more than any of the previous films, feels like an afterthought.

lcbaseball22
July 14th, 2009, 9:40 pm
For those of you who aren't keeping up wit RT, HBP is still at 100% with the "Top Critics". Personally I'm getting a little scared of my expectations.

Boushh, How was Dan's acting when DD died? Was it emotional enough for you?

Edit: The perfect streak is over for the top critics. Manhola Dargis splatted it.

Hmm, have they just not counted some of the reveiws yet? Cause like going through the list I see like 5 negative reviews...not just 1

Noldus
July 14th, 2009, 9:41 pm

An ungainly tween romcom sprinkled arbitrarily with a sudden horde of amphibious zombies; inexplicable cameos from Ursa, Non, and Zod; and silly broomstick rugby.

The lag time between the final books and the movies has drained much of the urgency from this screen adaptation, which, far more than any of the previous films, feels like an afterthought.

Let's believe them and pretend we have no expectations at all. Then we're gonna be really, really impressed by the film whatever quality:D

lcbaseball22
July 14th, 2009, 9:42 pm
Oh yeah, I guess so...cause down below it says there 87 reviews, but only 41 have been counted :hmm:

SwedishSkinJer
July 14th, 2009, 9:44 pm
I think the final RT score will be around 80-85.

lcbaseball22
July 14th, 2009, 9:52 pm

That 1/4 (not 1/5 actually) reviews really annoys me. Once again using way too many adjectives and big words to make themselves sound smart. Speak English for Christ sakes! Didn't understand the half of it...but then I'm an Engineering major, not Literary or Film :lol:

http://filmfreakcentral.net/screenreviews/harrypotter6.htm

Really quite a terribly written review, IMO. Besides they thought OotP was the best...a view I don't share :relax:

SwedishSkinJer
July 14th, 2009, 10:09 pm
A new review is up on RT. They praise the film and call Rickman "sublime"!

dchristen03
July 14th, 2009, 10:25 pm
I'm done! I watched it! I WATCHED IT!

For all of you guys, you'll be watching it too! In less than 12 hours!!!!!!!!

FleurDeLaPointe
July 14th, 2009, 10:26 pm
That's brilliant praise for an actor who was reported to not have even read the books, or at least books relevant to every installment. Eager to see this.

SwedishSkinJer
July 14th, 2009, 10:27 pm
I'm done! I watched it! I WATCHED IT!

For all of you guys, you'll be watching it too! In less than 12 hours!!!!!!!!

How was it?

That's brilliant praise for an actor who was reported to not have even read the books, or at least books relevant to every installment.

Yet he's still amazing as Snape, proving that he doesn't need to.

katana
July 14th, 2009, 10:28 pm
I Am Now Driving To The Theatres To See The Midnight Show People, Be Happy For Me.
Boo! Boo! *hiss hiss* :lol: Just kidding! Hope you loved it!

That 1/4 (not 1/5 actually) reviews really annoys me. Once again using way too many adjectives and big words to make themselves sound smart. Speak English for Christ sakes! Didn't understand the half of it...but then I'm an Engineering major, not Literary or Film :lol:

http://filmfreakcentral.net/screenreviews/harrypotter6.htm

Really quite a terribly written review, IMO. Besides they thought OotP was the best...a view I don't share :relax:
:huh: Hmm. This reviewer you posted seems very bitter in his review. A little too over the top actually.

ArryGrotter
July 14th, 2009, 10:30 pm
ONE MORE HOUR FOR ME!!! :D

*so excited*

Noldus
July 14th, 2009, 10:32 pm
24 hours to me:(

SwedishSkinJer
July 14th, 2009, 10:34 pm
I have seven hours remaining. Woo.

cptZachsparrow
July 14th, 2009, 10:34 pm
9 1/2 hours

TheVeilofDeath
July 14th, 2009, 10:35 pm
@dchristen03
Yeah, How was it? Tell us everything!:lol:

lcbaseball22
July 14th, 2009, 10:36 pm
Well, since everyone else is posting I might as well too :lol:

about 9 hours till I head off to the theatre! :D

SwedishSkinJer
July 14th, 2009, 10:36 pm
http://www.gryffindorgazette.com/files/2008/12/half-blood-prince-4.png

I love this picture with Snape. I wonder if it's still in the movie.

Phinneas
July 14th, 2009, 10:37 pm
Just over 22 hours for me :D I'm gonna be dying with excitement tomorrow.. The little twelve year old inside me is having a party all of his own :P

CandyCane23049
July 14th, 2009, 10:38 pm
Boo! Boo! *hiss hiss* :lol: Just kidding! Hope you loved it!

:huh: Hmm. This reviewer you posted seems very bitter in his review. A little too over the top actually.

I thought the same thing you did. He sound' s real bitter and it feel's like this review is personal.

Noldus
July 14th, 2009, 10:39 pm
http://www.gryffindorgazette.com/files/2008/12/half-blood-prince-4.png

I love this picture with Snape. I wonder if it's still in the movie.

Actually, I think the neckless looks a bit fake. Hope it's not on-screen. I doubt since all have praised the effects:D

CandyCane23049
July 14th, 2009, 10:39 pm
3 hrs until I see it for the first time.

SwedishSkinJer
July 14th, 2009, 10:41 pm
Actually, I think the neckless looks a bit fake. Hope it's not on-screen. I doubt since all have praised the effects:D

Yeah, it's probably because it's just a movie still.

katana
July 14th, 2009, 10:43 pm
Man! I still have 26 hours! :(
Oh well! I'm about to start my marathon!

SwedishSkinJer
July 14th, 2009, 10:43 pm
Great news, guys:

Peter Travers from Rolling Stone just posted his HBP review. He rated it a 3.5/4, calling it a "triumph". Peter is also a top critic on RottenTomatoes, and a very respected reviewer.

NumberEight
July 14th, 2009, 10:44 pm
Rotten Tomatoes doesn't say this, but at the time of this post, the film is currently standing at 95.7%. There are 94 reviews and 4 of them are negative, according to RT. 90/94 = .9574

lcbaseball22
July 14th, 2009, 10:53 pm
Rotten Tomatoes doesn't say this, but at the time of this post, the film is currently standing at 95.7%. There are 94 reviews and 4 of them are negative, according to RT. 90/94 = .9574

Ok, thanks for the update! :) So once RT gets on top of things they'd round that up to 96% so it would drop down a couple percentage points from what it was at last time I saw.

WOW, so I just called and talked to my theatre to see how this midnight showing thing works since I've never been to one. He said they are expecting 1,500 people lining up down there as early as 7 PM! Even thought it's just me he recommended showing up at least 30 minutes early or else it'll be hectic trying to find a seat. So much for my plan of arriving 10-15 minutes early, picking up my pre-paid ticket, and going right in :lol: I guess I should have anticipated this more...Spokane, WA is not that small of a city afterall and it's in the downtown.

I can only imagine what it's like in Chicago, LA, or NY though :wow: Or even Seattle, the largest city in WA, Spokane is 2nd largest I believe

Bscorp
July 14th, 2009, 10:54 pm
That's brilliant praise for an actor who was reported to not have even read the books, or at least books relevant to every installment. Eager to see this.
:no::no::no:

Rickman has read the books. it was "reported" that Gambon said Rickman hadn't read the books and frankly I don't find that a relible source.

Rickman said himself he stood in line with his Niece at midnight when Deathly Hallows was released and he reads the books with her.

SwedishSkinJer
July 14th, 2009, 10:55 pm
New negative review on RT:

While the romantic sweetness that it's peddling is a guilty pleasure, it's also a distraction from the gathering storm that the series had been charting so well.

That brings it up to 5 negative reviews on RT.

Noldus
July 14th, 2009, 10:58 pm
Great news, guys:

Peter Travers from Rolling Stone just posted his HBP review. He rated it a 3.5/4, calling it a "triumph". Peter is also a top critic on RottenTomatoes, and a very respected reviewer.

Can you post the link? :D

darkevangelist
July 14th, 2009, 10:59 pm
Thats still about 94/95% I beleive which is still amazing

SwedishSkinJer
July 14th, 2009, 11:02 pm
Hm, the reviewer also said that Dumbledore's death is unemotional and too quick.

Other reviews have said that it's very touching.

Willz
July 14th, 2009, 11:03 pm
21 hours!

boushh
July 14th, 2009, 11:06 pm
Which music did they use through the chase scene?

Sorry, I don't remember. I stopped listening to the soundtrack stuff a while ago. I didn't want to listen to it too much. There were scenes that didn't contain music too, so this could have been one of them, I don't know.

@boushh

Is the "I am with you" line really cut?

I don't remember hearing it.

And what music did they play during the end credits? Not Weasley stomp, did they?:grumble: I thought that was much too light.

I believe it's that or the Fireworks music at one point. It doesn't start off that way though. It either has no music or a quieter theme at first then it goes to something Weasley-centric. However, I don't remember what music plays when the credits are finally over.

Credit sequence look:

The background is like a sunset color and the credits come in with swirls that are dark that could look like the memories in one moment and like splattered ink in the next.

And, when doe we get to see the attack on hogwarts, that is somehow deflected by some blue shield, or sth, the scene is rumoured to take place during the opening feast. Is that correct?

If I remember right, it's during some transition. I thought it was later in the movie though... not sure.

Boushh Is the whole Mcgonagall looking into the sky, Ron and Hermione looking at the window, and Snape looking out the window, and Draco opening the vanishing cabinet part there before the Lightning struck tower? I heard the other day it was in from someone that saw it, and today someone said it wasnt there on another forum...lol so i'm not sure who's right :p

At least portions are there, yes. I can't remember if it's before the cave or after...

I agree with that assessment. ;)

Also, to whoever asked about the necklace scene. It's very good and I don't think it looked fake really. It looks better than in the picture, IMHO.

Bscorp, I also remember that big about AR standing on line with his niece for DH at midnight. He's also stated other things that give the impression that he'd either read the last few books or skimmed them or something. So yeah, maybe Gambon is going on old information because as of PoA Rickman hadn't read the books or as I've seen him say in an interview, "I read them as we do them." That was during PoA time. In interviews on the HBP red carpet people asked him things about Snape being at his most evil or something and he said, "Wait 'till the next one." That's probably what I would say to someone too, because to talk about it is to spoil it.

I'm going to be leaving soon to get dinner before the midnight show. :) Should I bring my wand? I'll be wearing a Snape shirt... not sure if I should bother with the wand. :lol:

lcbaseball22
July 14th, 2009, 11:13 pm
Hmm, now I'm worried if the parking garage will be full if I leave too late :scared:

*goes to look up capacity of River Park Square parking garage*

BTW, the RT score should be 91/96 = approx .9479 or 95% rounding up :tu: (same as Star Trek)

SwedishSkinJer
July 14th, 2009, 11:16 pm
I think the score will eventually stop at 85.

cptZachsparrow
July 14th, 2009, 11:17 pm
Should I bring Snape's wand with me?

lcbaseball22
July 14th, 2009, 11:18 pm
Those of you that have experience with midnight showings and live in big cities...how early do you show up? :whistle:

BTW, HBP is back up a bit on IMDB- 8.4/10...perhaps whoever said fans would try to counteract the anti-potter trolls was right :lol:

dchristen03
July 14th, 2009, 11:18 pm
@dchristen03
Yeah, How was it? Tell us everything!:lol:

In my opinion it was the best potter film yet. :lol: but you gotta wait for tonight! I swear the waiting will be long over for a reason - it's wonderful!!!! But the thing is that they cut out some parts...

Kreacher and Dobby are cut.

But anyway, overall, it was great!

lcbaseball22
July 14th, 2009, 11:20 pm
In my opinion it was the best potter film yet. :lol: but you gotta wait for tonight! I swear the waiting will be long over for a reason - it's wonderful!!!! But the thing is that they cut out some parts...

Kreacher and Dobby are cut.

But anyway, overall, it was great!

We've known the houseelves were cut for over a year :lol: Good to hear you enjoyed it though :tu:

SwedishSkinJer
July 14th, 2009, 11:24 pm
I do wish they kept the elves in, though. :( Just two or three scenes of them following Malfoy.

It would have been hilarious if they added in a movie scene of Dobby following Malfoy.

lcbaseball22
July 14th, 2009, 11:27 pm
Can you post the link? :D

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/movie/20314047/review/29135608/harry_potter_and_the_halfblood_prince

I do wish they kept the elves in, though. :( Just two or three scenes of them following Malfoy.

It would have been hilarious if they added in a movie scene of Dobby following Malfoy.

Yeah, I know...me too. I think that scene in the hospital wing at least would have been great fun and demonstrated the difference between the two characters and Dobby's devotion to Harry. I love that scene in the book and I think seeing them fight would have been hilarious :lol:

SwedishSkinJer
July 14th, 2009, 11:28 pm
I just dunno how they will make Dobby's death emotional in DH, since we barely see him in the movies.

lcbaseball22
July 14th, 2009, 11:34 pm
The sexual innuendo in the Rolling Stones review is amusing :lol:

The rap on Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is that it's an interim tease, all buildup and no release

Romance? Harry (Danel Radcliffe) pines for Ginny Weasley (Bonnie Wright), and Hermione (Emma Watson) watches in jealous disgust as Ron Weasley (Rupert Grint), Harry's bff and Ginny's brother, imbibes a love potion that makes him the sex slave of Lavender Brown (Jessie Cave). I exagerrated the kinky part—the movie is rated PG, though Grint is a comic delight in hormonal transport.

Err, not only did he exaggerate...but shouldn't that say Romilda Vane (it was her love potion) as opposed to Lavender Brown? :lol:

Overall, a good review though :tu:

Anyone know what he gave the previous Potter films?

SwedishSkinJer
July 14th, 2009, 11:36 pm
Oddly, the reviewer that gave HBP a 1/4 on RT said Phoenix was the best movie of the summer in 2007.

lcbaseball22
July 14th, 2009, 11:38 pm
Oddly, the reviewer that gave HBP a 1/4 on RT said Phoenix was the best movie of the summer in 2007.

Yeah, I noticed that...one of the many reasons I'm dismissing that terrible review. :relax:

Anyone know what he gave the previous Potter films?

I'll answer my own question :lol:

OotP- http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/movie/15087359/review/15289225/harry_potter_and_the_order_of_the_phoenix

GoF- http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/movie/6169903/harry_potter_and_the_goblet_of_fire

PoA- http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/movie/6071754/review/6071752/harry_potter_and_the_prisoner_of_azkaban_movie_har ry_potter_and_the_prisoner_of_azkaban

CoS- http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/movie/5948587/review/5948588/harry_potter_and_the_chamber_of_secrets

PS/SS- http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/movie/5947627/review/5947628/harry_potter_and_the_sorcerers_stone (not rated for some odd reason)

decarus
July 14th, 2009, 11:47 pm
Well, one of my friends asked me if they wanted to go to a midnight showing. I have never gone to a midnight thing it is just so late, but since my friend asked we got tickets today. I already have some tickets for tomorrow so i will be going then as well.

I don't know how i feel about a midnight showing. I think there is going to be like 2000 people screaming in line. We are going to meet there two hours early so in a few hours. Wish me luck and good luck to all of you.

Hmm, now I'm worried if the parking garage will be full if I leave too late :scared:

*goes to look up capacity of River Park Square parking garage*

So this made me laugh.

NumberEight
July 14th, 2009, 11:53 pm
Yeah, I noticed that...one of the many reasons I'm dismissing that terrible review. :relax:
Why is that one of your reasons for dismissing the review? Because the reviewer thinks highly of a film you don't, it's one of the reasons you dismiss the review of HBP? :hmm:

LilyDreamsOn
July 14th, 2009, 11:53 pm
Those of you that have experience with midnight showings and live in big cities...how early do you show up? :whistle:
For OotP, I showed up at 8, and they let me start a line at 8:30. This was at a pretty big theatre, too. I'm hoping it's the same deal this time around, because that's the time I'm aiming to arrive at.

MasterOfDeath
July 15th, 2009, 12:05 am
I'm going to be seeing the movie in 5 hours!!! :D I'm going to start waiting in line around 10.

I can't believe it's finally here, I really can't!!! :wow:

Guys and gals, whatever you do, don't go in expecting ANYTHING. Don't expect a masterpiece and don't expect a disaster, just expect another mediocre film. ;) Honestly, don't expect it to be a masterpiece like the book. I think all of us oldies on the thread are wise enough to know many things were cut or changed.

The best thing to do is to go in with a clean slate!

It's been a wonderful two years here, guys! Thank you all for being so awesome and I really hope you all enjoy the movie!!

I'm off to watch OOTP one last time before HBP....this will be my last post in the thread before seeing the movie. :scared:

Let's hope a flame war doesn't break out later tonight between fans who loved the film and fans who hated it! :lol:

SwedishSkinJer
July 15th, 2009, 12:19 am
The review from MSN Movies is now up -- very positive!

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince isn't great family entertainment -- it's great entertainment, period, a blockbuster with true heart and real humanity alongside the high-stakes struggles and brilliant effects.

lcbaseball22
July 15th, 2009, 12:20 am
I'm browsing RT and I see that when the previous films settled on a score they had somewhere in the range of 180-230 total reviews

And for PoA (89%) and GoF (88%) like 24 or 25 of them were rotten.

So lots more reviews to come but at nearly the half way point only 5 of them are rotten so far for HBP, I'm predicting it'll stay above 90%

SwedishSkinJer
July 15th, 2009, 12:21 am
At the very least, it should remain in the 80s, making it higher than Order.

lcbaseball22
July 15th, 2009, 12:25 am
At the very least, it should remain in the 80s, making it higher than Order.

Yeah, it'd take quite a few crappy reviews (like 35 or so) from here on out to drop it below 80. :lol: GoF is actually my least favorite though, so can't agree with the 88% it got. For PoA, as simply a FILM apart from the book I'd agree...but as an adaptation I'd give it like a 50% :lol:

And I agree with their mid 70's score for OotP- it was a severe disappointment for me and just mediocre overall :shrug:

AccioHP
July 15th, 2009, 12:29 am
About 5 hrs until I see the film!!! I got tickets to a midnight showing.
I'm not in NY right now, Im in South Carolina and was able to get tickets about 20 minutes ago to the midnight showing here. I'm guessing it's not going to be as crazy of a midnight showing would be in NY. I still don't know what time I should get there though :lol:

I just want to say to everyone in the thread ENJOY THE MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!! :)

SwedishSkinJer
July 15th, 2009, 12:32 am
Yeah, it'd take quite a few crappy reviews (like 35 or so) from here on out to drop it below 80. :lol: GoF is actually my least favorite though, so can't agree with the 88% it got. For PoA, as simply a FILM apart from the book I'd agree...but as an adaptation I'd give it like a 50% :lol:

And I agree with their mid 70's score for OotP- it was a severe disappointment for me and just mediocre overall :shrug:

I actually loved OotP. I thought it was a very entertaining movie.

hbponjuly15
July 15th, 2009, 12:34 am
do you guys know that they are not going to show dumbledore's funeral?!?!?!?!?! seriously that sums the whole book up and how r harry and ginny gonna break up/ i dont know?!?!?!?!? and the funeral was sad..but it may it may b included in the first part of DH !!!!!?????!!!

SwedishSkinJer
July 15th, 2009, 12:35 am
do you guys know that they are not going to show dumbledore's funeral?!?!?!?!?! seriously that sums the whole book up and how r harry and ginny gonna break up/ i dont know?!?!?!?!? and the funeral was sad..but it may it may b included in the first part of DH !!!!!?????!!!

You need to understand:

Movies have budgets and casting limitations. The funeral scene would have required tons of extras, effects, etc. The funeral also had Umbridge, several important characters, etc that probably couldn't return for this movie. They substituted it in the film with a wand tribute around Dumbledore's body that it just as effective and not as expensive.

lcbaseball22
July 15th, 2009, 12:44 am
I actually loved OotP. I thought it was a very entertaining movie.

FYI, here's how I'd rate them:

SS- 9.3/10 (just really had that "magical" feel, technical elements and younger acting are only problems here)

CoS-8.5/10 (again technical elements and acting but it also drags and is quite cheesy)

PoA- 9/10 (quite possibly the worst/least faithful adaptation I've seen but as a standalone film it's very good)

GoF- 6.9/10 (just bad overall...Graveyard scene is pretty awesome though)

OotP- 7.5/10 (meh, it was alright. Editing and script were the plagues here, IMO)

I'm hoping HBP can edge out (like a 9.5/10) SS...I need a new fav, it's been too long :lol:

CandyCane23049
July 15th, 2009, 12:45 am
Now I'm still scared. I have tickets to an 8:30 showing and tickets to the midnight showing. I'm sacred on getting good seats for the midnight showing. I'm guessing I should leave the first movie at 10 or something.

SwedishSkinJer
July 15th, 2009, 12:48 am
FYI, here's how I'd rate them:

SS- 9.3/10 (technical elements and younger acting are only problems here)

CoS-8.5/10 (again technical elements and acting but it also drags and is quite cheesy)

PoA- 9/10 (quite possibly the worst/least faithful adaptation I've seen but as a standalone film it's very good)

GoF- 6.9/10 (just bad overall...Graveyard scene is pretty awesome though)

OotP- 7.5/10 (meh, it was alright. Editing and script were the plagues here, IMO)

I'm hoping HBP can edge out SS...I need a new fav, it's been too long :lol:

I'd rate them like this:

SS: 9/10
CoS: 9.2/10
PoA: 9/10
GoF: 8.5/10
OotP: 9.3/10

You have to remember, adapting such large books into movies that are a little over two hours is a frustrating task. I don't even think any of us could have done better in the long run. And we should all be able to admit that the books had a lot of filler/events that weren't necessary for a movie.

lcbaseball22
July 15th, 2009, 12:53 am
I'd rate them like this:

SS: 9/10
CoS: 9.2/10
PoA: 9/10
GoF: 8.5/10
OotP: 9.3/10

You have to remember, adapting such large books into movies that are a little over two hours is a frustrating task. I don't even think any of us could have done better in the long run. And we should all be able to admit that the books had a lot of filler/events that weren't necessary for a movie.

Yeah, and I suppose it is a bit unfair to judge the later films compared to the the first couple...cause they are trying to sqeeze another 300-400 pgs into the same time frame. But like with OotP there was no excuse, that should have been at least another 15 minutes...to turn the longest book into the shortest film is just absurd, IMO. And GoF could have MAYBE been split, they discussed this, but Cuaron (who wasn't even the director of that film!) influenced them not to :relax: I'm ecstatic that DH has been split and they'll have ample time to tell the story.

cptZachsparrow
July 15th, 2009, 12:55 am
You need to understand:

Movies have budgets and casting limitations. The funeral scene would have required tons of extras, effects, etc. The funeral also had Umbridge, several important characters, etc that probably couldn't return for this movie. They substituted it in the film with a wand tribute around Dumbledore's body that it just as effective and not as expensive.

Until I read this, I was in the "They should show the funeral" camp. You convinced me otherwise. Although I wish they would end it with the camera pulling back over the lake with the castle in the background, ending over the White Tomb, Fawkes flying over it.

SwedishSkinJer
July 15th, 2009, 12:56 am
Yeah, and I suppose it is a bit unfair to judge the later films compared to the the first couple...cause they are trying to sqeeze another 300-400 pgs into the same time frame. But like with OotP there was no excuse, that should have been at least another 15 minutes...to turn the longest book into the shortest film is just absurd, IMO. And GoF could have MAYBE been split, they discussed this, but Cuaron (who wasn't even the director of that film!) influenced them not to :relax: I'm ecstatic that DH has been split and they'll have ample time to tell the story.

I always try to judge the movies as entertaining films first and foremost, because movie adaptations will never be able to be the books. Still, remember the movie adaptation for Eragon? Let's be thankful that the HP films have had such an amazing cast, special effects, etc. It could have been so much worse.

Until I read this, I was in the "They should show the funeral" camp. You convinced me otherwise. Although I wish they would end it with the camera following Fawkes fly over the White Tomb in a pullback shot, instead of just flying out.

Well, if they don't show the funeral in the movie, I don't think normal viewers would understand what the tomb is. Still, I think the wand tribute in the movie will be fitting. As much as I love the funeral in the book, it would have required so many extras and special effects (mermaids, Grawp, centaurs, etc --- imagine how much that would have cost them).

lcbaseball22
July 15th, 2009, 12:59 am
I always try to judge the movies as entertaining films first and foremost, because movie adaptations will never be able to be the books. Still, remember the movie adaptation for Eragon? Let's be thankful that the HP films have had such an amazing cast, special effects, etc. It could have been so much worse.

Nope, never seen that film or read the book. :whistle:

I really don't care for the fantasy genre in general...just HP and LotR, the two which appeal to more of a wider demographic.

I'm really glad that they allowed a 153 minute runtime for Half-Blood Prince...I was hoping for at least 2.5 hours this time! :D

phoenix88
July 15th, 2009, 1:06 am
I'm going to be seeing the movie in 5 hours!!! :D I'm going to start waiting in line around 10.

I can't believe it's finally here, I really can't!!! :wow:

Guys and gals, whatever you do, don't go in expecting ANYTHING. Don't expect a masterpiece and don't expect a disaster, just expect another mediocre film. ;) Honestly, don't expect it to be a masterpiece like the book. I think all of us oldies on the thread are wise enough to know many things were cut or changed.

The best thing to do is to go in with a clean slate!

It's been a wonderful two years here, guys! Thank you all for being so awesome and I really hope you all enjoy the movie!!

I'm off to watch OOTP one last time before HBP....this will be my last post in the thread before seeing the movie. :scared:

Let's hope a flame war doesn't break out later tonight between fans who loved the film and fans who hated it! :lol:

Have fun master! I am sure you'll love it!!!

Yes, I wasn't thrilled with OOTP either. I have a feeling based on the reviews, though, that HBP will be better.

SwedishSkinJer
July 15th, 2009, 1:07 am
The only movie I didn't like as much was GoF, but it was still entertaining overall. It felt like they rushed the beginning, and the Quidditch World Cup was too fast. I wanted them to slow down a bit more and show us more of the match, the trio at the camp, the enchanted Muggle guards, etc.

Have fun master! I am sure you'll love it!!!

Yes, I wasn't thrilled with OOTP either. I have a feeling based on the reviews, though, that HBP will be better.

I don't know why there's so much hate for OOTP. It was fantastic.

phoenix88
July 15th, 2009, 1:10 am
The only movie I didn't like as much was GoF, but it was still entertaining overall. It felt like they rushed the beginning, and the Quidditch World Cup was too fast. I wanted them to slow down a bit more and show us more of the match, the trio at the camp, the enchanted Muggle guards, etc.

I think it was tough for them to adapt GoF. It was the largest of the books thus far and so dense. I still really enjoyed it, and most of my nonreader friends actually liked it the best because of the triwizard tournament. We also finally get to see voldemort for the first time.

..Still have 7 long hours to wait... this is one of the few times I wish I weren't on the west coast.

cptZachsparrow
July 15th, 2009, 1:12 am
Well, if they don't show the funeral in the movie, I don't think normal viewers would understand what the tomb is. Still, I think the wand tribute in the movie will be fitting. As much as I love the funeral in the book, it would have required so many extras and special effects (mermaids, Grawp, centaurs, etc --- imagine how much that would have cost them).

I wouldn't want the rest of them either, but if it ends with them in the Astronomy Tower watching Fawkes, they could have cut to the next shot of the Tomb with Fawkes flying or landing on it. I think normal viewers would get it.

Agreed. Prophecy could have been better, but otherwise fantastic is absolutely the right word. I get chills when I watch everything from Harry chasing Bellatrix onward, especially the possession sequence. So emotional the way the music swells, and the score was just perfect.

CandyCane23049
July 15th, 2009, 1:13 am
It's a special on Tv guide network on right now.

lcbaseball22
July 15th, 2009, 1:19 am

I felt the end of GoF was quite butchered too- specifically the maze. What the heck was that?! No obstacles, just "people change" and this bizzare atmosphere. Other qaulms with GoF, the dragon chase was far too long and boring, the Crouch tongue flick was too revealing, etc

And you'll find there are quite a lot on this thread that hated OotP- well "hate" is a strong word, but disliked and/or were dissapointed...

The good news for me is that many fans who weren't thrilled with OotP really enjoyed HBP (well, the test screening version anyways :lol:) such as Rachel, Eric from MGnet, Eric's gf, and many others, like the girl that called in to Leaky...so I'm hoping my impression follows suit

SwedishSkinJer
July 15th, 2009, 1:22 am
I thought the dragon chase was one of the highlights of the movie, IMO.

I wish the maze had more in it, though, like the sphinx, dementors, etc.

Still, Fiennes was amazing as Voldemort.

Here's one thing I didn't understand, though: When the dragon was loose and started cutting through the stands, why didn't Dumbledore do something? It could have attacked a student in the stands, or blew fire at the teachers. Surely he could have used a spell to fortify the stands with a barrier or something.

cptZachsparrow
July 15th, 2009, 1:27 am
Here's one thing I didn't understand, though: When the dragon was loose and started cutting through the stands, why didn't Dumbledore do something? It could have attacked a student in the stands, or blew fire at the teachers. Surely he could have used a spell to fortify the stands with a barrier or something.

We could also ask why someone didn't put an Unbreakable Charm on the chain to the dragon, too.

FleurDeLaPointe
July 15th, 2009, 1:30 am
And interfere with the match? I vaguely remember crouch saying
The rules are absolute, the goblet of fire constitutes a binding magical contract. Mr Potter has no choice, he is as of tonight... a tri-wizards champion.

IIRC this was a tournament where teenaged wizards die from time to time, if Dumbledore was so worried about safety he'd never allow the tournament to happen. Some ventures offer risks and we have to accept those risks lest we compromise the venture.

SwedishSkinJer
July 15th, 2009, 1:32 am

IIRC this was a tournament where teenaged wizards die from time to time, if Dumbledore was so worried about safety he'd never allow the tournament to happen. Some ventures offer risks and we have to accept those risks lest we compromise the venture.

No, I mean when the dragon broke loose and threatened students in the stands, not the competitors. He could have at least ensured that the stands were protected by a magical barrier.

cptZachsparrow
July 15th, 2009, 1:36 am

I'm pretty sure they let the dragon break loose for tension and that's it. In the book the dragon stayed chained the whole time.

FleurDeLaPointe
July 15th, 2009, 1:36 am
No, I mean when the dragon broke loose and threatened students in the stands, not the competitors. He could have at least ensured that the stands were protected by a magical barrier.
That's what I mean. Even setting up a magical barrier could interfere with the match.

SwedishSkinJer
July 15th, 2009, 1:37 am
That's what I mean. Even setting up a magical barrier could interfere with the match.

Why should the stands with innocent students be part of a match that takes place in an arena below the stands?

Pegasus
July 15th, 2009, 1:40 am
Please note that this is the HBP thread and not the GOF thread. :)

SwedishSkinJer
July 15th, 2009, 1:41 am
New review up on MSN Movies. It's very positive (4/5), but they did find one flaw:

And while everything in the book can ever make it to the screen, the whole notion of the “Half-Blood Prince” is barely addressed in the film. Harry sees the name in an old potion textbook that’s filled with invaluable marginalia, Hermione says she can find no record of the nickname in the library, and that’s all we get until the Prince’s identity is swiftly and brusquely revealed towards the end.

No flashbacks, no explanations, no insight as to why the “Half-Blood” designation matters. You’ll have to go back to J.K. Rowling’s novel if you want the details. It’s as though screenwriter Steve Kloves and director David Yates knew they had to include it since it was part of the book’s title, but then gave it the tiniest amount of screen time possible.

FleurDeLaPointe
July 15th, 2009, 1:42 am
I'm pretty sure they let the dragon break loose for tension and that's it. In the book the dragon stayed chained the whole time.
Beautiful ninja edit. I loved your succinct reply better but I agree. I was just answering his question with the in movie and in book logic.
Why should the stands with innocent students be part of a match that takes place in an arena below the stands?
Since this is the HBP thread and not the GoF thread I'll make this my last reply on this topic. Imagine if the Dragon get's distracted and tries to eat one of the spectators. Barrier is up, prevents the dragon from eating them. Maybe tires it enough for Harry to give it the proper spell to KO it or distracted long enough so Harry can make for the egg. The barrier would basically have been a spell placed in favour of the competitor's skill thus rendering the whole point of the challenge of skill worthless.

SwedishSkinJer
July 15th, 2009, 1:48 am
RT has finally updated.

The film stands at 95/100.

96 positive reviews and 5 negative.

cptZachsparrow
July 15th, 2009, 2:02 am
New review up on MSN Movies. It's very positive (4/5), but they did find one flaw:

And while everything in the book can ever make it to the screen, the whole notion of the “Half-Blood Prince” is barely addressed in the film. Harry sees the name in an old potion textbook that’s filled with invaluable marginalia, Hermione says she can find no record of the nickname in the library, and that’s all we get until the Prince’s identity is swiftly and brusquely revealed towards the end.

No flashbacks, no explanations, no insight as to why the “Half-Blood” designation matters. You’ll have to go back to J.K. Rowling’s novel if you want the details. It’s as though screenwriter Steve Kloves and director David Yates knew they had to include it since it was part of the book’s title, but then gave it the tiniest amount of screen time possible.

My worst expectations confirmed. It can only go up from here.

SwedishSkinJer
July 15th, 2009, 2:06 am
My worst expectations confirmed. It can only go up from here.

From what I understand, in the movie, we see Harry win the liquid luck with the book, and he also discusses it in the Common Room with Hermione. We also see him use the spell on Draco. Dan also confirmed that there are several scenes in the film in which we see Harry looking at the book as he's talking to Ron and Hermione.

vickilind
July 15th, 2009, 2:07 am
Going tonight at midnight. Well, 12:04. Got my ticket on Thursday, last week and all 5 midnight shows were already sold out at one of the theaters and the first 3 at another. finally got one for 12:04! Hope this movie is the biggest grosser of the year. must beat twilight.

NumberEight
July 15th, 2009, 2:09 am
You can bet most of the HBP potions book plot was overlooked to add more to the teen romance subplot. This film better not be a romantic comedy with little amount of dark material added in. If it is, I'll rate it extremely low.

SwedishSkinJer
July 15th, 2009, 2:10 am
You can bet the entire HBP plot was overlooked to add more to the teen romance subplot. This film better not be a romantic comedy with little amount of dark material added in.

Some reviewers have said that the romance/darkness is balanced perfectly. Some disagree. Really, it all depends on your opinion.

vickilind
July 15th, 2009, 2:10 am
JLTucker, with the previews that I've seen, I don't think that will be the case. If anything, I think they will be making it darker than the book even!

SwedishSkinJer
July 15th, 2009, 2:14 am
The fact that they're including the plot with Draco, the mystery of the HBP, and the romance in a film that's a little over two hours is amazing. The book had a lot more room to balance everything.

cptZachsparrow
July 15th, 2009, 2:17 am
From what I understand, in the movie, we see Harry win the liquid luck with the book, and he also discusses it in the Common Room with Hermione. We also see him use the spell on Draco. Dan also confirmed that there are several scenes in the film in which we see Harry looking at the book as he's talking to Ron and Hermione.

I meant the whole Half-Blood Prince. I remember when we just had the book wasn't out yet, we just had the title, and we were all speculating who the Prince was and their significance to the story. I personally thought he would be a new character who would rally the half-bloods against the Death Eaters in a big battle. He ended up being half-blood Snape with a mom with the last name Prince. They don't explain that.

decarus
July 15th, 2009, 2:17 am
Well it's time. I am going to wait in line now. Have fun everybody.

WhispWillow
July 15th, 2009, 2:22 am
There is still kind of a battle at the end of this film, with the Death Eaters running through the castle, burning down Hagrid's hut, Harry vs Snape, etc.

That's all nice and well, but the fight scenes in the castle were epic.

SwedishSkinJer
July 15th, 2009, 2:23 am
New HBP review up on RT. 4/4!

http://www.wafflemovies.com/harrypotter6.html

KDOG
July 15th, 2009, 2:34 am
New HBP review up on RT. 4/4!

http://www.wafflemovies.com/harrypotter6.html

WOW! I seriously hope its as good as they say. I'm getting so freaking excited now, I don't know if I'll be able to sleep.

jp5
July 15th, 2009, 2:45 am
Hey guys just a question, for those who have seen it, it is announced that the IMAX version will have the first 12 mins in 3D... What's included in the first 12 mins??

WhispWillow
July 15th, 2009, 2:52 am
For anyone who hasn't seen it already, ITV did a Harry Potter behind the magic special on Sat gone, well worth a look, with behind the scene footage and sneak peeks of the film
On youtube here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL6Wasm2J-8

mjhaners
July 15th, 2009, 2:54 am
Hey guys just a question, for those who have seen it, it is announced that the IMAX version will have the first 12 mins in 3D... What's included in the first 12 mins??

The opening sequence(bridge collapsing and what follows) will be in 3D.

theprince18
July 15th, 2009, 2:59 am
Only 3 hours to go, leaving in about 2 to go to the theater.

jp5
July 15th, 2009, 3:12 am
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp5 View Post
The opening sequence(bridge collapsing and what follows) will be in 3D.

Thanks for answer¡
But that is really my question, I've watched the first 5 and the "opening" lasts only about 3 mins, so what I want to know is the 'what follows' part. :)

AccioHP
July 15th, 2009, 4:12 am
I'm off to see it now!!
FINALLY IT's HERE :)
I can't wait to come back on here and see what everyone thinks about it.
Again, enjoy to everyone who is seeing it.

SwedishSkinJer
July 15th, 2009, 4:30 am
Up to 100 positive reviews on RT!

REMEMBERALL
July 15th, 2009, 4:33 am
OMG. they just showed the local movie theatre on the news and there are 500 people waiting to get into the midnight showing :err: I love Potter but I'm actually glad to be sitting in bed right now :lol: ..can't wait for tomorrow night though and can't wait to finally be able to watch this whole movie, not just clips!! YAY!!

DML1991
July 15th, 2009, 4:39 am
100 fresh, 5 rotten, 95%. :cool: :tu:

I can't believe most of you are seeing it tonight and I have to wait until tomorrow. :(

SwedishSkinJer
July 15th, 2009, 4:43 am
I'll probably avoid Mugglenet after tonight until I see it, since I don't want anything spoiled.

DML1991
July 15th, 2009, 4:44 am
I'll probably avoid Mugglenet after tonight until I see it, since I don't want anything spoiled.What exactly have you been doing here? :err:

lcbaseball22
July 15th, 2009, 4:45 am
Yea! I finally got it all figured out I think :clap:

So, I went downtown to advance park the car in the parking garage but discovered it didn't meet the clearance height :lol: Then I drove around the block about 10 times till I finally found a spot on the street :lol: Went in, scanned my credit card, and picked up my pre-paid ticket! :D Then I called my brother to come pick me up and someone is gonna give me a ride back down there around 10:30-11:00.

So when I exit the theatre I'll have a car down there to get back home in...cause my family will all be asleep by then :lol:

Oh yeah, btw out of 20 theatre rooms this AMC has, 6 of them are hosting midnight release of HBP! Oh, and 5 of them SOLD OUT...they added the 6th today. And as they told me before, expecting about 2,000 people down there...they've already started to line up :wow:

So I had back down there in about 2 hours...I can't wait!!! :drool:

I'll probably avoid Mugglenet after tonight until I see it, since I don't want anything spoiled.

No need to avoid MGnet, haven't you noticed how utterly confused they always are? They are going to be flabbergasted by this film and all the differences :lol: And yeah, I echo DML's comment...what are you diong here if you don't want to spoiled?! This is like spoiler central :p

katana
July 15th, 2009, 4:50 am
I thought so too. For a movie, I thought it was pretty great!

Agreed. Prophecy could have been better, but otherwise fantastic is absolutely the right word. I get chills when I watch everything from Harry chasing Bellatrix onward, especially the possession sequence. So emotional the way the music swells, and the score was just perfect.
I loved the whole MoM scene! Especially the posession. My absolute favorite part. But I really liked the whole movie too.

I can't believe most of you are seeing it tonight and I have to wait until tomorrow. :(
*sighs* So do I. Tomorrow 6 pm. At least I'm enjoying my marathon at the moment! Just finishing CoS.

lcbaseball22
July 15th, 2009, 5:03 am
Here is a link for parents so they can make an informed decision whether or not it's appropriate for their kids (despite the PG rating) :)

http://www.screenit.com/movies/2009/harry_potter_and_the_half_blood_prince.html

Oh yeah, that reminded of that line "did you Ginny and do it?" that we first read in the script...glad that made the final cut :rotfl:

GinnyRules
July 15th, 2009, 5:05 am
I can't believe I have to wait until tomorrow to see this movie! I'm feeling so impatient! We don't have midnight showings here :(

Has anyone actually seen it yet, given that the time zones are different on the east coast and whatnot? I'm not big on spoilers, but I just can't wait, I want to know a little bit about it while I finish up my marathon (I'm just about to start the fifth movie, I watched the first four already, all today!)...

SwedishSkinJer
July 15th, 2009, 5:09 am
Yeah, that scene will be hilarious to see on-screen.

Ron: Did you and Ginny do it?
Harry: *Shocked* What?
Ron: Hide the book.
Harry: Oh. Right.

:lol:

lcbaseball22
July 15th, 2009, 5:11 am
Yeah, that scene will be hilarious to see on-screen.

Ron: Did you and Ginny do it?
Harry: *Shocked* What?
Ron: Hide the book.
Harry: Oh. Right.

:lol:

Yeah :lol:

What shameless innuendo on the part of Steve Kloves...and to include in a PG movie even. :err: Of course most kids won't understand ;)

I can see justification for all of the innuendo used in the Transformers sequel (though it was a bit over the top) but that was PG-13...

BTW, is that just an American phrase? :hmm: I'm thinking Brits and others around the world might not get the implied joke there :shrug:

SwedishSkinJer
July 15th, 2009, 5:12 am
Up to 102 positive and 5 negative on RT.

Two new positive reviews:

Funny, enchanting, occasionally creepy and beautiful to look at, this is the kind of full-blooded fantasy filmmaking that used to emerge when filmmakers were more interested in telling stories than in selling Happy Meals.

While the Harry Potter movies have always been a wonderful excuse for jaw dropping special effects, it's gratifying to see the fantasy landscapes populated by wizards and witches with flesh-and-blood personalities.

4/5 and 5/5

SolarHeart
July 15th, 2009, 5:13 am
Wow! My Rave has 15 of its 18 theatres playing at midnight with 12 sold out and AMC has all 24 theatres playing HBP at midnight, all sold out! Crazy stuff.

SwedishSkinJer
July 15th, 2009, 5:13 am
Yeah :lol:

What shameless innuendo on the part of Steve Kloves...and to include in a PG movie even. :err: Of course most kids won't understand ;)

I can understand all of the innuendo used in the Transformers sequel (though it was a bit over the top) but that was PG-13...

BTW, is that just an American phrase? :hmm: I'm thinking Brits and others around the world might not get the implied joke there :shrug:

Well, Heyman said that they didn't anticipate a PG rating, so they kept a lot of stuff in there that would normally be PG13. I'm not an expert on slang, but I think they should understand. Small children won't, of course.

Kanksha
July 15th, 2009, 5:14 am
I'm not going to be seeing it for another three days and I can't make up my mind as to whether or not to avoid this thread like the plague till then or just keep reading. :rolleyes:
I'm leaning towards keep reading right now, I want to hear the mass impressions. Plus it's not like there's anything left that I don't already know.

People are watching the movie right now!! :wow:

I have 72 hours to wait!

NumberEight
July 15th, 2009, 5:17 am
http://www.screenit.com/movies/2009/harry_potter_and_the_half_blood_prince.html
Why would you link to this site? It's about as hilarious as CAPAlert. Apparently parents look out for disrespectful characters in a film. It's hilarious that saying "god" is considered profanity. This site says that kissing is sex. That's hilarious!I wouldn't link that site ever again. All a parent has to do is read why the film is rated what it is and that should be enough. If they don't do that and take their kids to a film they ultimately disapprove of, then it's their own fault.

Edit: Anyway, I should have some Potter games to play tomorrow and Thursday before I go see the film.

Edit#2: This post isn't meant to be disrespectful towards any parents on the board.

SnakeSinister
July 15th, 2009, 5:19 am
Why would you link to this site? It's about as hilarious as CAPAlert. Apparently parents look out for disrespectful characters in a film. It's hilarious that saying "god" is considered profanity. This site says that kissing is sex. That's hilarious!I wouldn't link that site ever again. All a parent has to do is read why the film is rated what it is and that should be enough. If they don't do that and take their kids to a film they ultimate disapprove of, then it's their own fault.

I agree! People should be wise to what they are walking into if they have these feelings about such things. That way no one has to be upset.

GinnyRules
July 15th, 2009, 5:20 am
Ha! Isn't "did you and Ginny do it" kind of an American phrase? I don't know if European audiences would get that... Still, I think it will be hilarious.

ArryGrotter
July 15th, 2009, 5:22 am
Wow..... I saw it.

I LOVED IT!!!

Ok, I got really emotional when the film started. I was almost in tears, and it wasn't just because the first scene is quite emotional itself, I just felt this moment would never come.

First scene: I loved it. It had lines from OotP as voiceovers ("I killed Sirius Black" and "he's Back" come to mind). It was a beutifal scene setting up the Harry/DD relationship.

It cut to the title, and here it came: SOFIE! :lol: THough admittedly I was too emotional at the time to care about my favourite muggle's presence. I was simply waiting for the first 5 minutes I'd already seen to be over so that the good part could start.

The attack - wow. I love the shots on the street! Even my dad after commented on them (I was amazed he remembered, actually.)

The waitress :lol: Dumbedore does comment on her, but it is after they have seen Slughorn.

So Slughorn's was great. They really did set up the whole idea that the house could have been attacked by the Death Eaters. They included the dragon's blood - I loved it - Harry spots himslef in the paper and looks down at it. THen blood spots start to drip and we pan up to the blood on the ceiling. A bit falls on Harry's face and Dumbledore takes it off and licks it, then he looks to the armchair. Afterwards it was the fact it was dragon blood that gave it away.

The emotions of Harry were great when Slughorn's told Harry about the Blacks. Dumbledore's knitting pattern line :rotfl:

So, at the Burrow - :rotfl: Harry apparates into one of the ponds outskirting the home. When Harry comes up to the Burrow, he sees Ginny in the window. THe scene is lovable when Ginny notices Harry's things in the living room, and everyone is confused. The toothpaste thing with Ron and Hermione happens after Harry comes and after they all (even Ron!) hug Harry.

Then came the scene in Ron's bedroom. I actually think this didn't do much, but the transition to Spinner's End was great! They showed Draco's picture on the newspaper burning away on the newspaper they lit up.

Cissy was great, I thought, as was Bella, not to mention SNAPE! You could tell (if you knew :p) that he didn't really want to do it. What made my day, particulary, was when Dad whispered to me "Oooh, he's on the wrong side!" I can't wait till DH2 :lol:

Then was WWW. It was well done, I thought. It was quick cuts between portions, but it worked! The instant Prevuian Darkness powder was introduced - and even used! (More on that later) I loved the Umbridge dolls they had :rotfl: ("I WILL HAVE ORDER!! - I WILL HAVE ORDER!!!") That was hilariously funny surprise, especially since I'd just watched OotP :lol:

Then we follow the trio down the alley, as they reflect on how bad things realy are, then Ron notices Ollivanders, and they go in. From inside here, they notice Draco and Cissy hurrying down to Knockturn Alley and follow.

Knockturn Alley: On the way in we pass someone muttering to the wall, hopelessly :whistle: And the Wanted Posters were great! I got shocked at first to see greyback's face on the side of the scene, but then I remembered the posters - awesome!

At "Borgin & Burke"! :p we watched Draco fingering the handle of a vanishing cabinet.

Then we were on the train - first to visit Luna, Ginny and Dean, the former handing out Quibblers to everyone :lol: Ginny asks what a Wrackspurt is :tu: Then we came out of the train and back in to harry, obsessing over the idea Draco is a Death Eater, and goes for "fresh air".

The Carrow mini-twins give Harry an evil look as they go pass him. And here is where the Peruvian Instant Darkness powder is used! (It was actually shown in a Panini sticker, but I thought it was the bezoar) The carriage is in darkness, and Draco jumps up confused. The script goes as I remember. WHen Luna comes, you see the Wrackspurts (His head is full of them :lol:) really clearly :tu:

So we are walking into Hogwarts and theres a silly little scene where Flitwick needs to know their names, cos he "doesn't know them". I thought it was just screen time for Davis :lol:

Luna asks who the Aurors are :tu:

Draco is seen trying to allow his cane in, and Snape intervenes. (Snape seems so sinister whenever he appears - Spinner's End sets that up well)

Opening Feast: We see the sorting hat leave as Harry and Luna come in, and Ron talks of how it sang about the stuff he does in the book (Forgive me, I was shocked at the Hat being there to hear the line properly :lol:) Then comes Dumbledore's speech - He mentions Tom Riddle here! In fact, majority of his speech in the IMAX trailer comes from this scene!

We cut to McGonagall telling students that History of Magic is upstairs, not down (or vice versa :lol:) and Harry and Ron to the side of the corridor. It goes as in one of the trailers.

Then comes potions and we have Harry and Ron fighting over the good book :lol: (I have a feeling I knew about that and forgot? :lol:) When the amortentia is open, all the girls, but not Hermione (Lavender, Katie, Leanne, ROmilda and Pansy) are attracted to it, but it stops when it is closed. Btw, I don't think the peppermint toothpaste comment Hermione makes was connected enough with the scene earlier.

The Potions class is great - the HBP book is FULL of writings :lol: THe whole "Crush not cut" thing is in there and Hermione does say "that's not what the book says" :lol:

And cut to - the first lesson! I was surprised how early it was (though I did think it *might* have replaced the Gaunts in the chronology, but I never got from any released information it would be that early.

The scene starts with Dumbledore observing the diary! He puts in and the ring away when Harry comes in.

The memory is the same as the released scene until Dumbledore goes in. It still has that silly shot of Tom looking when we first see them, though :lol: Just after Dumbledore comes in, we get tons of flashes of stuff like the Cave picture. The fire and the box thing is in, and we do see the yo yo and such.

The memory ends as thought with Tom last saying he can speak to snakes. After the memory, is goes to how Dumbledore wants Harry to be collected by Slughorn.

And I think it was now that the shot of the Death Eaters trying to get into Hogwarts was, and we then see Draco going into the Room of Requirement (sadly the door was never shown - only the bare wall at one stage - I felt the door would have really made the connection between the previous movie). I think it was during this scene that Draco tested the apple and it came out with a part missing.

Then came quidditch tryouts - no explanation why Ginny is by Harry :lol: - it was pretty cheesy, and what annoyed me a bit was that Hermione casted the Confundus charm (which I don't think was Confundo?) without her wand! - though we don't actually see her other hand at that time (one hand is used to cover her mouth to make it look like see was coughing)

I got to think now what was next? Oh, that's right! The common room scene which mysteriously was absent from when I thought it was :lol: It ends with going through the pages of the book :tu:

And we find snow. This is a great moment - Harry and Ron finish Hermione's sentence "So I went to -" "... the library" :lol: These two past scenes were the only time the book was really discussed, bar Sectumsempra.

We see Slughorn ahead of us, stopping to talk to Fltiwick, who can't go to the Three Broomsticks becaue of Emergency Choir practise :lol:

Three Broomsticks was exactly as scripted, and I have to say, I was surprised I didn't accidently talk along with them :lol: OMG! I JUST REALISED....

NO SKINNY KID!!!!! :upset:

Anyway, the scene ends with Ron pointing out Hermione's mo', and then it's time for the cursed necklace. Hermione does actually act a little drunkingly as the make their way along the path :lol: The curse was great, I thought, with Katie being thrown around everywhere. hagrid came out of nowhere :lol:

And we come to the scene with McGonagall, and Harry defends Katie because he knows her from Quidditch! (I think this came up when they were discussing if she was cursed prior - shame no mention of Imperius curse...)

And I just remembered right now - there was a scene between harry and Ron in the dormitory (I think it was now), with Ron discussing what Dean sees in Ginny (harry wonders what Ginny sees in Dean :lol:) Harry says GInny has nice skin - Ron points out Hermione's got nice skin :whistle:

Gosh, what happened next? My prior viewing knowledge tells me it was Slughorn's party. Which was great, but all the best parts were in the trailer. Ginny comes in during dessert, and Hermione giggles when Harry stands up.

And then afterwards was a scene in the great hall - perhaps this was the Great Hall lunch scene? :lol: Anyway, Ron asks how the dinner was, and Hermione says "Harry enjoyed dessert" :lol:

And then I am confused - it must have cut to another scene in the great hall, but that feels wrong for some reason :shrug: Oh! I remember now - I think it was one scene, because if I'm remembering correctly, Hermione tells Ron she was going to invite him to Slughorn's Christmas party (Ron suggested she take McClaggen) and then Lavender comes - must have been to say good luck. Then out of no where (either Day's editing, which had been good so far, bar the stylistic memory), Luna is sitting on the bench beside them. I heard some people get a first when she spoke - must have been the hat ;) (I'll add that I found it very Luna-ish that she appeared like that :lol:)

And the quidditch match was great! (My dad asked if Harry put anything in Ron's cup, and I had to say yes :lol:) I felt even though the match probably only lasted over a minute, it was great.

Then came the party, with Lavender trying to poach Ron. That music from the Quidditch TV spot was used here. And I'll add "Dumbledore's Army" was used in the tryouts, oddly :lol: I felt that Hermione's reaction was a tiny bit delayed - that was by only annoyance.

Then came the lovely scene with the birds :lol: And we have Hermione asking Harry how he feels when he sees Ginny with Dean. Ron and Lavender come in. Lavender wants to go, but Ron stays to tell Hermione her birds are good, then "oppungo!" and the birds dart from Ron, who runs. "This is how it feels" answers Harry.

And then we pan out through the castle, seeing Ron and Lavender kissing in a tower, and Draco looking over everything on top of the Astronomy Tower.

And we come to talking to Ron. I honest can't remember what he said - I was too busy figuring out what scene this was (only to realise I had no prior knowledge of it.

So we had a talk with Ron, and then a talk to Hermione in the library, and introduce Romilda Vane. Harry says "Ok, I'll take someone I know" or something like that.

And cut to luna: "I've never been to this part of the castle before - at least not in daylight - I sleepwalk you see - that's why I wear shoes to bed :rotfl:

They pass Draco looking evil. He pops out to go to the Room of Requirement, and I think it was this time he took a bird? Or maybe this was the time he tested the apple? I can't figure it out :lol: Anyway, it ended with Draco leaving.

And came the party, Neville telling Harry how he didn't make the Slug club, then Harry noticing Hermione behind the fabric. "I just got away from Cormac under the mistletoe" :err: The Dragon tartar comes and she eats one, then Cormac comes and Harry is left with the tray. They discuss something and Cormac takes a tartar, and they are interupted by Snape, who Cormac throws up on. Then cue Malfoy and Filch, and Snape.

We cut to malfoy and snape discussing the Unbreakable Vow, and Harry overhearing (I felt it spend way too long panning over to him..)

And we are on the train again, with Ron and Harry discussing the Vow ("You can't break an Unbreakable Vow!", etc.) Then Lavender comes in, and puke fest! :lol: after, Hermione walks past, sees Lavender's heart and leaves automatically. Then Ron tells Harry about what happens if you do break an unbreakable vow. The camera goes back through the pane to show the R + L heart dripping away.

And we are back at the Burrow and the scene with Lupin occurs, and then the H/G moment. Then it is the Garage scene (which I think not many people would have got why it is full of computers :lol:) THe shot to get to this scene is from through the reeds, so it does set up something bad is to happen....

Lupin and Tonks leave, and there are some more through the reeds shots. We come across Harry on the stairs and Ginny coming past, asking if Ron was asleep :lol: "Shoelace" Then, they almost kiss before flames emerge from everywhere.

Burrow Attack: My consensus was that it was good for a scene not in the books. I don't really see why thry thought action was needed at that stage, but oh well :lol: Bellatirx loved to hide in the reeds then. And when the house comes on fire, Arthur says "Molly" and we see her and Ron (yes, he does exist in this scene :lol:) looking up at the house. No say about what was going to happen to it...

And back at school (I'm wondering if anyone will read this :lol:) we have the scene shown in two of the scripts. Amelia Bones' picture is well in frame at one point. Lav gives Ron the necklace and harry needs to vomit. I think part of this scene was omitted from the script...

Cue memory 2, and before I do, I almost forgot that Snape talks to Harry at the party about Dumbledore being away. The second memory also had the editing the first did, and you could tell (I had wondered whether it'd come across well enough) that was memory was tampered - Riddle's voice fades out when he begins to mention the inauidable Horcrux. And so Dumbledore tells Harry what is required.

And we cut to Harry going to talk to Slughorn (he finishes off a class with younger students, mentioning a bezoar). This scene occurs like the released version. We then have Harry trying again (this is where that little door comes in) but is shooed away.

Then (the scene with Hermione was cut) we have Ron starting out at the moon, and scene like released. The little card from Romilda Vane was cute :lol:

SLughorn almost refuses to let Harry in at first. When they do, Slughorn starts the antidote and Ron hugs him. He's put down on the couch by Harry and then, when Harry's talking to Slughorn again, Ron gets up and falls off the chair :lol:

The antidote is given and ROn is shocked. He takes the drink Slughorn provides and drinks it immediately, and collapse. Ron does foam at the mouth and colvused - it's actually quite frightening. harry takes forever to find the Bezoar

And we get to the hospital wing, with the teachers first discussing the mead, Slughorn telling Dumbledore the gift was for him. Lavender runs in and *gag* :lol:. Ron mutters and Lavender goes "Oh that's my Won-Won - he senses I'm here!" (or something) and then he mutters "er-my-knee" and Lavender runs off crying, though we don't feel any pity :lol: Hermione takes Ron's hand.

And it must have cut to Draco now. We got to see the bird being tested here. And what I loved (though it was maybe spoilerific) is that they showed it appearing in the other one in "Borgin and Burke" :lol:

And we see the trio in the great hall, looking at Lavender who acts like an angry statue :lol: Then Hermione notices Katie and she and Harry talk. Malfoy comes into the room. Katie goes all rigid, and suddenly Harry is after Draco (yes I might have got this segment wrong).

I think I've missed somewhere that there was another time that Harry saw Draco on the map, dissapearing (I think this was that scene in the dormitory) and another when Harry follows Draco to the blank wall.

So Sectumsempra happens, and I probably shouldn't have watched the clip, cos that's all it was, though when Draco does get hit - WOW! I can honestly say I don't know HOW that passed for PG in US. We actually saw red blood going into the water, not to mention the increased red stain on Malfoy's shirt. Snape appears from no where and mends him, Harry dissapears.

The scene after shows Harry in emotional shock, Ginny telling him the book needs to gotten rid of (Not hid!)

The scene cuts straight to the RoR. I felt this part should have been edited better, and then we go to Ginny hiding the book for Harry. It was half way through I remembered about the diadem and I didn't see it after that.

"So, did you and Ginny do it" came next and it got a laugh :lol: In fact this movie got HEAPS of laughs. Then Harry and ROn bump into Slughorn, and Ron mentions luck, and next comes the Felix Felicis.

I thought this scene was great (lots of people laughed at it :lol:) Ginny and Dean, I think it was are coming into the portrait, just like the book, and Harry says a big "HI!" to both of them :rotfl:

We see Slughorn at the greenhouse, stealing something :lol: I thought the plants were cool :)
Something like: "You shouldn't be out of bed now, alone" "Well, come with me then sir" and Harry is going down to Hagrid's, Slughorn puffing beside him.

Ok, I waited and waited and waited for Aragog's name to be mentioned, but it is :lol:

And then "Poof!" :lol: And slughorn's fish. "The flower was from a Lily" was a clever line, I thought. Once the memory is handed over it is cut straight to Dumbledore's office and then into the pensieve.

I was wondering, if after the quickness of the previous memories, if everything would repeat, but pleasantly I was surprised to find the new memory started at Tom asking Slughorn. Young Tom was great in this scene, I thought, and you could really tell from the look on SLughorn's face he was going to regret this..

Then came the aftermath, and I have to say I never thought it would be that - FAST - they were starting to talk like chipmunks :lol: I haven't seen this scene online yet, I might add. The flashes when Harry touches the ring is minimal - bascially just Nagini, that shot of Tom and even a flash of the cave (I can't remember if Dumbledore's hand is in there). Then after that everything slows down :lol:

And after that we cut to Dumbledore and Snape on the tower - great stuff. Harry comes in and Dumbledore says he needs a shave, and mentions how much he has changed (from trailer). iTunes clip proceeds, with nothing extra. I LOVED it when we first saw the waves - I almost wanted to jump back, afriad of getting wet :lol:

So, inside the cave, the water really is made to be evil, though the line about not touching it is cut. THe potion drinking scene was emotional. I do wish they paid more attention to Dumbledore's agony, though. Then "Water" and Harry fills up the bowl with water, but it doesn't work, so looks to the water. THe light DUmbledore made goes out, and Harry has to stop to put up a new one. He then proceeds to the water, and..

I knew it was coming and I still jumped!!!

Inferi come out, Harry stunning them, put then there are just so many (I wondered at this point where Dumbledore was and why he wasn't being dragged off...) Harry goes underwater, and then can see fire above. Oh, I should note that they showed Dumbledore trying to pick up wand. We cut back to Dumbledore with the flames, and parting it to allow them to get back through (Arits Tempus!) We cut to Draco, which I feel those not knowing would be confused, and follow him to the Room of Requirement. We see Filch at the wall, McGonagall and Snape, but not Ron and Hermione. We see "Borgin and Burke" even, with bella and others entering it. Draco lets them in, but then goes off, seemingly scared.

We come to Harry and Dumbledore returning. DD asks for Snape, but hears Draco and tells Harry to go. Draco says he heard him talking and Dumbledore says he likes to think aloud... Draco disarms Dumbledore, and I think there is a line he says as though that was a good thing to happen (we know why :lol:)

It's not too long till Bella comes, which Harry hides when they do. They don't spend too long there, but we do hear Greyback's line from the IESB thing, but not him saying it (camera on Harry - which pans to show Snape, whispering....)

Snape comes up and all there is is "Severus...........................please" and he Aks him! I don't think there was much of a shock in my audience since everyone there seemed to have read the book :lol:

And then a montage of sorts (I say this because the editing isn't chronogolical) showing the Great Hall being destoryed and Snape blasting an Auror away.

And then the DEs go down to Hagrid's (which burns) and we hear "He trusted you" from Harry. Snape blocks a spell, and Harry tells him to fight back. Bella steps in, and Snape says no - he's for the Dark Lord. I thought HBC was great (even better than OotP) this time! Snape goes to head off, and Harry is about to hit him with Sectumsempra, which is blocked "How dare you use my own spells against me.... Yes I am the Half-Blood Prince" (I just remembered - THE HYPEN WAS MISSING IN THE WRITING OF IT IN THE HBP BOOK! :grumble: Snape knocks Harry's wand out of his hand.

So then, we go to Dumbledore being discovered, and the wand vigil. It looked great from the top, I might add. Then we saw a shot of the empty great hall.

And then cut to black. My dad thought the film was over :lol:

I remembered recently that in the test screening there was a common room scene, but this never made it. Cut to DD's office, showing the empty chair. Harry looks at DD's wand. McG comes in and says how DD cared from him. They show Dumbledore's portrait!!!

Then (nearly there) it's the scene at the astronomy tower, and Hermione reads out the note, and Harry thinks he's going by himself, but he's not.

"I'm only just realising how beautiful this place is" is the last line. Cut to Fawkes (which seems meaningless to normal veiwers) flying in the sky and the last shot is the trio's backs looking at the bird flying away.

And I thought the credits were better than OotP's but not as good as PoA's and GoF's. The memory/ink effect was good though. I was surprised they had Fireworks first up. I didn't stay longer than the actors names :)

Wow, that took forever.... (I included way too many smilies :lol:)

lcbaseball22
July 15th, 2009, 5:26 am
Why would you link to this site? It's about as hilarious as CAPAlert. Apparently parents look out for disrespectful characters in a film. It's hilarious that saying "god" is considered profanity. This site says that kissing is sex. That's hilarious!I wouldn't link that site ever again. All a parent has to do is read why the film is rated what it is and that should be enough. If they don't do that and take their kids to a film they ultimate disapprove of, then it's their own fault.

:huh:

Well, I believe it's a Christian site (God is technically profanity...I'd get sent to the principal's office for saying it back in grade school) :relax:

And yeah of course it is, it falls under the category of sexuality, it's a sexual act. kidsinmind.com is actually better but they won't have their report up until tomorrow. That site gives objective ratings in the 3 major content categories "sex & nudity", "violence & gore", and "profanity" and then we can compare HBP to the last couple films and see whether it's a step up or down or on par with the last couple. :tu:

Kanksha
July 15th, 2009, 5:29 am
Why would you link to this site? It's about as hilarious as CAPAlert. Apparently parents look out for disrespectful characters in a film. It's hilarious that saying "god" is considered profanity. This site says that kissing is sex. That's hilarious!I wouldn't link that site ever again. All a parent has to do is read why the film is rated what it is and that should be enough. If they don't do that and take their kids to a film they ultimately disapprove of, then it's their own fault.

That site really is hilarious! What in the world is wrong with "Mind if I use the loo?"
Also under male nudity, they've got 'emaciated humanoid beings that are apparently naked and we see the side of a bare butt'
I'm guessing that refers to the Inferi. :rotfl:

ally_xx
July 15th, 2009, 5:35 am
Oh. My. Goodness.

That was absolutely amazing. This is my favourite HP film by far. I give it 10/10.

It was funny, emotional, suspensful, frightening and just amazing. I cried so much (I knew I would) and Dumbledores death was just chilling.

I completely broke down and cried when Harry had to give Dumbledore the last cup of potion in the Cave. The look on Dumbledores face ....

And Draco was absolutely flawless in this film. He performed so well, I was really impressed.

So amazing, I can't stop thinking about it.

ArryGrotter
July 15th, 2009, 5:37 am
It was funny, emotional, suspensful, frightening and just amazing. I cried so much (I knew I would) and Dumbledores death was just chilling.

I completely broke down and cried when Harry had to give Dumbledore the last cup of potion in the Cave. The look on Dumbledores face ....

And Draco was absolutely flawless in this film. He performed so well, I was really impressed.

I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN! I really felt for Dumbledore..

And Draco was great! The extra screentime helped :lol:

Also, Ally, you might be interested in my spoilerific review I just posted :)

lcbaseball22
July 15th, 2009, 5:42 am
That site really is hilarious! What in the world is wrong with "Mind if I use the loo?"
Also under male nudity, they've got 'emaciated humanoid beings that are apparently naked and we see the side of a bare butt'
I'm guessing that refers to the Inferi. :rotfl:

Well, they write it very matter of factly and try to be very thorough so people are warned of anything that might offend.

I agree about the "mind if I use the loo" bit though :lol: But if you read it closely you'll see it had more to do with obsene material, but clarified you don't actually see or hear anything. Just think of a gross out raunchy comedy here, they're stating it's nothing like that. ;)

Kanksha
July 15th, 2009, 5:43 am
Wow Arry that was might I say, an EPIC review :lol:
I can't believe you remember so many details! Or well I can, you're the maker of the List!

So is it your favourite HP film so far? :D

SwedishSkinJer
July 15th, 2009, 5:43 am
New review up on RT - 7/10. Positive, but they end with this:

I usually don't like comparing movies to their source books because the two are very different media and use different tools to interpret a story. And generally I find it a fault when a movie seems slavishly devoted to telling the story of the book it's adapting; the movie ought to have a life of its own. But with Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, the first thought I had after viewing it was, "the book was better."

ArryGrotter
July 15th, 2009, 5:44 am
I got this question by message I thought I'd share my answer here:

So, my only questions are these. How would you rank it and did it feel like you'd already seen it all due to all the trailers, featurettes, tv spots, clips, etc or is there still a lot to see? Should have been about 100 minutes of unspoiled footage still, I think :hmm:

Well, I'm going to be biased and say first :lol: Though this film seems so different from the others (maybe just the fact I saw it in cinema instead of TV screen like this past week :lol:) that they can't be compared!

Well, I won't say the whole trailer/etc. spoiled the movie, I enjoyed looking out for the parts from the trailers :lol: I stopped watching clips from last week, btw, and according to the as of vid then, there was only at max 50 mins leaked :lol: I think it helped with knowing what was happening - on the way out I heard someone say "That's nothing like the book" and I was happy I didn't have to complain! :lol:

Wow Arry that was might I say, an EPIC review :lol:
I can't believe you remember so many details! Or well I can, you're the maker of the List!

So is it your favourite HP film so far? :D

Yeah, my knowledge of the list helped - I even thought of it at times :lol:

Like I said above ^ :)

ally_xx
July 15th, 2009, 5:46 am
I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN! I really felt for Dumbledore..

And Draco was great! The extra screentime helped :lol:

Also, Ally, you might be interested in my spoilerific review I just posted :)

Wow, that was quite some review!!

I don't have a single bad thing to say about the movie. I loved every second of it! Such brilliance.

I especially loved Harry in the Felix Felicis scene and where he imitates spider pincers :rotfl:

thegauntring
July 15th, 2009, 5:46 am
I just went and saw the movie, it is by the far the most diverse one yet. It was really funny and the whole movie was just a great experience. The cinema was completely full and we all sat together and enjoyed it.
It's going to be a real shame once Deathly Hallows Part 2 comes out because never will that feeling of unity be again.

ArryGrotter
July 15th, 2009, 5:47 am
I especially loved Harry in the Felix Felicis scene and where he imitates spider pincers :rotfl:

:rotfl: That was HILARIOUS! :lol:

stumps101
July 15th, 2009, 5:48 am
ArryGrotter, loved the review. I think you got it all bang on, it reminded me why I'm really wanting to rewatch the movie like now, 12 hrs later than I first saw it. :tu:

SwedishSkinJer
July 15th, 2009, 5:50 am
Two extremely positive reviews just went up on RottenTomatoes.

ArryGrotter
July 15th, 2009, 5:53 am
Oh, I just remembered something (about the colours - not much though):

This film is so BRIGHT! I actually feel at sometimes it should have been toned down :lol: I didn't pay much attention to the cinematographer, other than that :lol:

lcbaseball22
Two extremely positive reviews just went up on RottenTomatoes.

Wow, I wonder how much longer it can keep up this streak of positives...it still has only 5 negative reviews and positive ones keep getting added. IF it could somehow acquire just positive reviews from here on out it'd settle at about 98% but I doubt that'll happen :lol:

tripletkate607
Hi, I've been following this thread for months but I've never posted on here. You guys keep me entertained haha

I'll be seeing the movie tomorrow...hmph. My theater somehow sold more tickets than they had room for, so I got a free pass for tomorrow at noon.

I was just wondering, for those who have seen it, what kind of expectations did you have when you walked into the theater? I've been reading all these rave reviews and I'm afraid I'll get my hopes up too high, and will be disappointed... I've been avoiding clips and only reading everything, but I'm still ridiculously excited for this movie! Anyway, glad you guys enjoyed it! :)

ArryGrotter
July 15th, 2009, 5:57 am
I was just wondering, for those who have seen it, what kind of expectations did you have when you walked into the theater? I've been reading all these rave reviews and I'm afraid I'll get my hopes up too high, and will be disappointed... I've been avoiding clips and only reading everything, but I'm still ridiculously excited for this movie! Anyway, glad you guys enjoyed it! :)

I was expecting all the stuff we heard about the film to be in it :lol: And sure enough, nearly everything was :)

I loved it! (but I'm probably just bias :lol:)

SwedishSkinJer
July 15th, 2009, 5:58 am
I was expecting all the stuff we heard about the film to be in it :lol: And sure enough, nearly everything was :)

I loved it! (but I'm probably just bias :lol:)

Visually, was HBP the best-looking movie in the series yet?

DML1991
July 15th, 2009, 5:58 am
Arry:

Does Dumbledore tell Harry that he wouldn't be the chosen one if Voldemort hadn't tried killing him? Or that he's the chosen one because of choice, and not destiny?

ArryGrotter
July 15th, 2009, 6:00 am
Arry:

Does Dumbledore tell Harry that he wouldn't be the chosen one if Voldemort hadn't tried killing him? Or that he's the chosen one because of choice, and not destiny?

No. Dumbledore never really discussed Harry being the chosen one.

tripletkate607
July 15th, 2009, 6:01 am
Were there any cheesy moments in the movie that made you embarrassed to be there? Lol I usually drag a friend with me and it can get kind of uncomfortable :D

DML1991
No. Dumbledore never really discussed Harry being the chosen one.Well, I'm glad I know that now so I won't be thinking about that while watching the film. :)

Which part does the voices on the 'Drink of Despair' track kick in?

ArryGrotter
Visually, was HBP the best-looking movie in the series yet?

I wasn't paying attention to the cinematography enough :lol: I love some of the shots, though. I'm trying to remember a particular one that went all over the place - now what was it? :hmm:

Well, I'm glad I know that now so I won't be thinking about that while watching the film. :)

Which part does the voices on the 'Drink of Despair' track kick in?

I can't remember them....

DML1991
July 15th, 2009, 6:03 am
In the movie or in the soundtrack?

ArryGrotter
July 15th, 2009, 6:03 am
Were there any cheesy moments in the movie that made you embarrassed to be there? Lol I usually drag a friend with me and it can get kind of uncomfortable :D

NO! :p It was all hilarious :lol:

In the movie or in the soundtrack?

The movie, sorry. It wasn't until "Inferi in the Firestorm" did I remember the music :lol: The drink of despair scene is great though!

lil_snuffles
July 15th, 2009, 6:10 am
I'm seeing the midnight showing tonight :D I'm so excited. Enjoy the mpvie everyone!

SwedishSkinJer
July 15th, 2009, 6:17 am
Went up to 96/100 on RT with 108 positive and 5 negative.

DML1991
July 15th, 2009, 6:18 am
Rate it, Arry. I dare you to rate it. :pWent up to 96/100 on RT with 108 positive and 5 negative.Yay!

ArryGrotter
July 15th, 2009, 6:20 am
Rate it, Arry. I dare you to rate it. :p

Well, I feel really biased rating it, so I'll go down to 9.7/10 :lol:

lcbaseball22
July 15th, 2009, 6:21 am
Alright, guys this is my last post till after I see the film! :lol:

Going to grab a quick bit to eat and then have someone drop me off at the theatre downtown.

I hope I enjoy it as much as those you who've already seen it did! :D

See ya! :p

GinnyRules
July 15th, 2009, 6:23 am
Wow, ArryGrotter that was a great review! I can't believe you remembered so much detail...

I've been following this thread for quite a while (although I haven't posted until today) and it's really cool to see the excitement building as the movie arrives.

Something I really want to know is, are there any characters who should have gotten more screen time but didn't? In past movies I've gotten very excited to see certain characters only to find that they just had a cursory ten seconds on screen every once in a while...

DML1991
July 15th, 2009, 6:24 am
Well, I feel really biased rating it, so I'll go down to 9.7/10 :lol:Pfft, there's no such thing as being biased or being a easy/harsh rater, you rate based off how you feel. :p

ArryGrotter
July 15th, 2009, 6:26 am
Something I really want to know is, are there any characters who should have gotten more screen time but didn't? In past movies I've gotten very excited to see certain characters only to find that they just had a cursory ten seconds on screen every once in a while...

Well Tonks and Lupin have this treatment, but they aren't too important to the remaining plot.

I actually felt that Slughorn didn't get enough time - but he got TONS! :lol:

Fred and George aren't on for very long.

But otherwise, it's quite the opposite. Ginny, for example, is in every second scene :lol:

tripletkate607
July 15th, 2009, 6:26 am
Were Lav-Lav and Won-Won awful to watch? What did you think about the balance between the romance and action?

ArryGrotter
July 15th, 2009, 6:27 am
Pfft, there's no such thing as being biased or being a easy/harsh rater, you rate based off how you feel. :p

9.9999997 then :p

Were Lav-Lav and Won-Won awful to watch? What did you think about the balance between the romance and action?

Lavender was freaking funny - you just couldn't stand her! :lol:

stumps101
July 15th, 2009, 6:30 am
I loved Lavender ALOT lol. She was well done. I think it's what I liked the most about the movie - all the actors acted well. You name the character and I'd say their acting was good LOL.

In terms of some characters not getting screen time - The Weasleys, Remus, Tonks, Neville, McGonagall all aren't on screen much. But I can see why - really, it's hard to fit so many characters for a 2.5 hours movie.

GinnyRules
July 15th, 2009, 6:32 am
Well Tonks and Lupin have this treatment, but they aren't too important to the remaining plot.

I actually felt that Slughorn didn't get enough time - but he got TONS! :lol:

Fred and George aren't on for very long.

But otherwise, it's quite the opposite. Ginny, for example, is in every second scene :lol:
Thanks! That's a shame about Lupin and Tonks, although I suppose there's no way they can' include EVERY SINGLE sub-plot. Fred and Geoerge seem to have become simply a minor, novel element of comic relief in the series, which I find too bad as this will make Fred's death much less emotional at the end of DH Part 2...

It seems like immediately after every new HP movie everyone raves that it's the best one yet, but then after a while once the excitement dies down people find more things to criticize. I hope this time is different. I can't wait to actually see the movie for myself and see if it's actually as great as all the reviews are saying!

ladykrystyna
July 15th, 2009, 6:34 am
ArryGrotter, I almost read your entire review but decided that I want to walk in with as little information as possible.

For me, the last good HP movie was PoA. I know many people didn't like it, but it was the last HP movie I saw where I had not yet read the books. And I think that's why I liked it so much - it didn't feel like it was forced because I had no idea what was going to happen.

I was highly disappointed in GoF (which is my favorite book) and OoTP was a slight improvement, but not by much.

So with this one, I've hardly done any reading or watching regarding it. I've seen a couple of clips and trailers, but that's about it. And I have not - and will not - read the book before I see it on Saturday night. I want to go in as fresh as possible and see if that helps.

I am encouraged by the many positive ratings it is getting, but OoTP got some positive ratings and I didn't agree, so I don't know if that's really going to help me much.

Anyway, for all those who have seen it - LUCKY DOG! - and for those who are on their way - HAVE FUN!

I'll lurk a little and drop my 2 Knuts on it after I see it this weekend. I'm just too old to go to a midnight showing! :lol:

Cheers.

ArryGrotter
July 15th, 2009, 6:36 am
ArryGrotter, I almost read your entire review but decided that I want to walk in with as little information as possible.

Yeah, there are spoiler tags for a reason :lol:

I really don't have too much of an opinion on the film, to be honest. I simply love it for what it is :)