The All-Inclusive HBP Movie Thread v. 17 - incl. movie spoilers

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

DML1991
July 4th, 2009, 5:59 am
And there are some things I agree with him on actually (such as the bridge, I understand what he meant) Which part do you agree on? I think that the reason you really don't see any people on the bridge as it starts collapsing is because everyone has either already fallen in the water or has ran away. For example, you see the bridge twisting inside out and flipping over, nobody would have been able to hold on with a bridge twisting and ripping apart so fast and violently, they wouldn't have had the time to react or hold on properly.

SybillOnWheels
July 4th, 2009, 5:59 am
I refuse to go to bed before this HBO thing is online. :argh:

EDIT: I am officially a second year. :cool: That actually took a while to do, I marvel at the people who have 1,000's of posts. :lol:

lcbaseball22
July 4th, 2009, 6:04 am
Which part do you agree on? I think that the reason you really don't see any people on the bridge as it starts collapsing is because everyone has either already fallen in the water or has ran away. For example, you see the bridge twisting inside out and flipping over, nobody would have been able to hold on with a bridge twisting and ripping apart so fast and violently, they wouldn't have had the time to react or hold on properly.

Well, it is a bit hard to tell from the way it is shot (perhaps they cut away as they fall off?) but I looked at the HD and see no bodies in the water and the shots as it is falling the only people we see are those almost at the ends of the bridge, making it to safety. So the newspaper seeminly contradicts what we actually see. Not that it is a huge deal, just kinda interesting...no, I didn't expect to see people getting impaled by debris but I didn't think it'd be a big deal to show people in the water struggling to keep their heads above the surface :shrug:

DML1991
July 4th, 2009, 6:05 am
Well, it is a bit hard to tell from the way it is shot (perhaps they cut away as they fall off?) but I looked at the HD and see no bodies in the water and the shots as it is falling the only people we see are those almost at the ends of the bridge, making it to safety. So the newspaper seeminly contradicts what we actually see. Not that it is a huge deal, just kinda interesting...I recall seeing bodies in closer detail, and I think MOD did too. :whistle:

lcbaseball22
July 4th, 2009, 6:07 am
I recall seeing bodies in closer detail, and I think MOD did too. :whistle:

Then post a screencap, if you will please. All I saw was some possible displacement from falling debris...

theprince18
July 4th, 2009, 6:09 am
This I disagree with. I respect all reviewers if they present constructive praise or criticism, I find reviewers who are not fans of the series or haven't read the books a interesting different perspective. To see how a film connects with it's fanbase and casual film goers is interesting and can guage if a film succeeds or not. From what we can tell, it succeeds. What invalidates that review is how terribly written it is and full of unnecessary remarks.

I agree with what you're saying considering a good chunk of the moviegoers are going to be people who have never read the books or HBP in general. So I guess I will have to respect their reviews, positive, negative or in between.

SybillOnWheels
July 4th, 2009, 6:11 am
*DEs swoop the bridge*

*bridge starts to sway*

*people scream and shout and run for their lives*

*railing breaks off, flails twisting into the air*

*railing plummets downward, impaling man in the chest*

*people jump over railings, falling so fast they die on impact with the water*

*rest of bridge snaps upward, flies into surrounding buildings and streets, impaling people left and right, cars crashing into each other, huge gas explosions, people running around on fire*

Nah, I think it's fine the way it is.

DML1991
July 4th, 2009, 6:12 am
Then post a screencap, if you will please. All I saw was some possible displacement from falling debris...Sorry, I don't have it in HD and I'm eating, and I don't take screencaps off non-downloadable vids, like if it's youtube or something. :p

lcbaseball22
July 4th, 2009, 6:12 am
Oh, to make myself clear though, I do NOT agree with him on the Bridge Attack being "tame" :no: (despite seeing no injuries or drowning people)...it's pretty INTENSE. I liked the close up shots of the people in panic and the fast paced cinematography of this scene, not rushed.

Sorry, I don't have it in HD and I'm eating, and I don't take screencaps off non-downloadable vids, like if it's youtube or something. :p

You never downloaded the trailers in HD?! :wow: Wow, I figured everyone had...I have an entire folder of HD Half-Blood Prince material :lol:

DML1991
July 4th, 2009, 6:14 am
Oh, to make myself clear though I do NOT agree with him on the Bridge Attack being tame (despite seeing no injuries or drowning people)...it's pretty INTENSE. I liked the close up shots of the people in panic and the fast paced cinematography of this scene, not rushed.*lowers ax*

K, I'll let you pass... :p

Oh, to make myself clear though I do NOT agree with him on the Bridge Attack being tame (despite seeing no injuries or drowning people)...it's pretty INTENSE. I liked the close up shots of the people in panic and the fast paced cinematography of this scene, not rushed.

You never downloaded the trailers in HD?! Wow, I figured everyone had...I have an entire file of HD HBP videos :lol:Yeah, I have. Just not that clip. I don't think it's avaliable in HD...

SybillOnWheels
July 4th, 2009, 6:15 am
Oh, to make myself clear though I do NOT agree with him on the Bridge Attack being tame (despite seeing no injuries or drowning people)...it's pretty INTENSE. I liked the close up shots of the people in panic and the fast paced cinematography of this scene, not rushed.

Just yanking your chain man. :p

lcbaseball22
July 4th, 2009, 6:21 am
*DEs swoop the bridge*

*bridge starts to sway*

*rest of bridge snaps upward, flies into surrounding buildings and streets, impaling people left and right, cars crashing into each other, huge gas explosions, people running around on fire*

Well, they could do it like that but I'm pretty sure that'd garner an R rating :lol: And I'm not one for gruesome scenes necessarily...just realism. I think the impaling and people running around on fire would be a bit much but I thought perhaps we could see some falling off :p

ThaiHPFan
July 4th, 2009, 6:24 am
I can't help but agree with some parts of the review, especially the romance stuff. It's kinda sad to hear that it makes first half of the movie drag (I wonder how much better it would be if some romance moments are replaced with, say, Snape's DADA class or another short memory scene), not to mention that this movie is the second-longest of the franchise because of too many unnecessary moments are included. Directors like Newell can certainly keep audiences entertained during light moments but I don't expect Yates, although being more true to the characters, to have the same talent.

On the bright side, it's great to hear that Yates has improved greatly with dark moments and, unlike OOTP, make scenes as epic and emotional as they should be.:)

The Cauron and Del Toro comment was heard since OOTP came out (I remember almost the exact same quote from one OOTP review). I also can't help wondering about the same thing. However, I don't think either of them has the same passion for the series as a whole, or has as much respect for previous HP films and directors, as Yates has. Therefore I'm quite happy with what we've got.

Hopefully, I'll be able to ignore the boring parts of the movie and just enjoy its better moments.

lcbaseball22
July 4th, 2009, 6:25 am
*lowers ax*

K, I'll let you pass... :p

Yeah, I have. Just not that clip. I don't think it's avaliable in HD...

Oh, your right...it hasn't. But I was referring to the trailers. We see almost all of these shots in the trailers and in HD I didn't notice any bodies in the water, but I'll look again when I find the time (and have access to MY computer again, I don't at the moment) :p

DML1991
July 4th, 2009, 6:28 am
I can't help but agree with some parts of the review, especially the romance stuff. It's kinda sad to hear that it makes first half of the movie drag (I wonder how much better it would be if some romance moments are replaces with, say, Snape's DADA class or another short memory scene), not to mention that this movie is the second-longest of the franchise because of too many unnecessary moments are included. Directors like Newell can certainly keep audiences entertained during light moments but I don't expect Yates, although being more true to the characters, to have the same talent.

On the bright side, it's great to hear that Yates has improved greatly with dark moments and, unlike OOTP, make scenes as epic and emotional as they should be.:)

The Cauron and Del Toro comment was heard since OOTP came out (I remember almost the exact same quote from one OOTP review). I also can't help wondering about the same thing. However, I don't think either of them has the same passion for the series as a whole, or has as much respect for previous HP films and directors, as much as Yates has. Therefore I'm quite happy with what we've got.

Hopefully, I'll be able to ignore the boring parts of the movie and just enjoy its better moments.I think Newell's film was quite a mess, honestly. :relax:

I'm not hearing much about the film dragging any, from what I hear, that's quite the opposite case (that review seems to be going against the stream on overall opinions), I hear it might be a little too stuffed, but at least that's the apparent case and it not being overlong.

SybillOnWheels
July 4th, 2009, 6:32 am
All the other reviews that we've gotten have said that the romantic aspects of the film are very well-balanced and coordinated with the darker aspects. And don't forget that much of the book is dedicated to the romance.

As for this HBO clip, this is getting quite infuriating. :argh: Normally these things take like 20 minutes to make it online.

Do you know that I have HBO, and missed the special by 10 minutes? :argh:

Give me the damn clip, my pets.

:argh::argh::argh:

theprince18
July 4th, 2009, 6:34 am
*DEs swoop the bridge*

*bridge starts to sway*

I agree. That would be a little too intense for a movie audience. I didn't think the opening was tame at all. It will be more intense to me once July 15th comes (which by the way is only 11 days away!):rockon: It won't matter if bodies are in the water or not, the scene reflects the Muggle's place in this wizarding war.

SybillOnWheels
July 4th, 2009, 6:43 am
I agree. That would be a little too intense for a movie audience. I didn't think the opening was tame at all. It will be more intense to me once July 15th comes (which by the way is only 11 days away!):rockon: It won't matter if bodies are in the water or not, the scene reflects the Muggle's place in this wizarding war.

Yup. :tu: Although a stray body somewhere could've been useful...I have to slightly agree with the baseball boy on that.

BTW, I am extremely hurt and pained beyond measure that my fellow posters have yet to acknowledge my promotion to second year status. :upset:

Come on, that took a lot of work. I am deeply offended.

IchLiebeGeorge
July 4th, 2009, 6:49 am
I hate to be spoiled, but I can't pull myself away from this thread ever since Aussie came and started them. I've stopped myself from watching everything posted here, but reading just what has been said, I'm feeling naughty! Harry's line to Snape in the Flight from the new reviewer guy absolutely killed me. I'm sooo excited for this film. Loving how positive the reviews have been.
BTW, I am extremely hurt and pained beyond measure that my fellow posters have yet to acknowledge my promotion to second year status. :upset:

Come on, that took a lot of work. I am deeply offended.Congratulations! :clap: You achieved it much faster than I did. And I love your name with the sig.. I smile all the time when I see it.

theprince18
July 4th, 2009, 6:50 am

Come on, that took a lot of work. I am deeply offended.

Congrats on reaching 100 posts. I am not even to 40 yet. A great accomplishment indeed.:) Only 200 more posts and you'll be able to go onto the Hogsmeade part of the forums

MasterOfDeath
July 4th, 2009, 7:06 am
Guess who's back? :p

Feels good to be back. :)

I saw the HBO preview earlier tonight and I must say it blew me away! There was plenty of new footage, not TONS, but it was awesome to see it all on my HDTV for once. I was very surprised to discover the "I knew a boy who made all the wrong choices" is actually said to Draco on the tower and the full line is, "DRACO, I once knew a boy who made all the wrong choices." Looks like such a POWERFUL scene.. I was also very surprised to hear Draco call Filch a "stinking squib" when he's dragging him to the teachers during the slug club party. Tom Felton's performance looks really good. :tu: Quidditch looks CRAZY! Cormac is so arrogant! :lol: Lavender is so pretty..

I'm thrilled to read all the good reviews and praise for this film! I'm delighted to hear how much praise Gambon is getting...Oscar worthy performance? :wow: It would certainly be following a tradition. Alec Guinness was nominated for Obi Wan Kenobi in the original Star Wars film, Ian Mckellen was nominated for Fellowship of the Ring. It would be kinda cool if Gambon continued that tradition of the wise old mentor figure getting an oscar nod. :tu:

The only thing I'm disappointed about is the news that the trio in the courtyard pre-cave scene has been cut. I really grew fond of the "I don't need luck, I'll be with Dumbledore" line. :sigh: I hope this isn't a sign of Yates doing his last-minute tinkering with the film cutting things here and there... :scared: Maybe I'm just getting paranoid. :lol: I hope all this good press doesn't jinx the movie. :p

I have ONE question for anyone who has seen the movie:

Does Dumbledore ever profess his trust of Snape directly to Harry in the film? Does he ever outright state "I TRUST Severus Snape, Harry!"?

It's good to hear Harry screams at Snape that Dumbledore trusted him, during the flight of the prince. :tu: it sounds like that scene has improved since the first test-screening. :agree:

This movie is sounding so good and is getting so close, it's almost too good to believe. :wow: :lol: :cool:

Under 2 weeks now..

ThaiHPFan
July 4th, 2009, 7:07 am

I haven't even realized it myself about this second year promotion. But congratulations!!!:clap:

BTW have just read that the guy who gave it a mixed review actually gave 4 stars to Transformers 2. Now my trust in his words has dropped by about 20% (although I did enjoy that mess quite a bit and was a fan of the first one).:relax:

EDIT: And where is that HBO clip thing??? It is almost like no one outside this forum has seen it.

MasterOfDeath
July 4th, 2009, 7:20 am
Welcome back. :)

:argh::argh::argh:

Thank you. :)

I'm sure it'll come on youtube really soon.

IenjoyAcidPops
July 4th, 2009, 7:30 am
I was also very surprised to hear Draco call Filch a "stinking squib" when he's dragging him to the teachers during the slug club party.

I'm surprised to hear that too; the word squib has never been used in the films, and I assume that Merope, another squib ntroduced in HBP, isn't referred to. I wonder if this is like the use of 'Moony' and 'Padfoot' in OotP, where this movie ignores the fact that a previous one didn't explain or use the term.

And MoD, your mentions of Guinness and McKellen have made me think that it's actually isn't out of the realm of possibility that Gambon could get an Oscar nomination out of this one - continue the line of wizard mentors who die, you know. I mean, I'm not gonna call anything because I haven't seen the film, but who knows.

MasterOfDeath
July 4th, 2009, 7:33 am
I'm surprised to hear that too; the word squib has never been used in the films, and I assume that Merope, another squib ntroduced in HBP, isn't referred to. I wonder if this is like the use of 'Moony' and 'Padfoot' in OotP, where this movie ignores the fact that a previous one didn't explain or use the term.

And MoD, your mentions of Guinness and McKellen have made me think that it's actually isn't out of the realm of possibility that Gambon could get an Oscar nomination out of this one - continue the line of wizard mentors who die, you know. I mean, I'm not gonna call anything because I haven't seen the film, but who knows.

Yeah, HBP is really the beginning of a trilogy in many ways. The first five films were like one big prologue. :lol: HBP is sorta like the New Hope or Fellowship of the Ring. It's where the mentor dies and the young hero begins his quest to destroy the villain.

I don't think he'd actually WIN an Oscar but if his performance is as good as these reviewers say and as good as the clips suggest, he might get nominated.

Good point about the Squib thing. :lol: It's said really rushed and I think it's only for fans to pick up on. Everyone else can easily make out that it's an insult. A 'squib' isn't such an uncommon word so it's not as jarring to me as not explaining Moony or Padfoot.

IenjoyAcidPops
July 4th, 2009, 7:39 am
Nah, if Malfoy refers snidely to Filch as a squib, that's like one of those little things they throw out that doesn't really MATTER but is there for the fan-boys-and-girls to pick up on. And if someone who hasn't read the book asks what that's supposed to mean, you can explain (or just tell 'em to read the books already).

SybillOnWheels
July 4th, 2009, 8:11 am
Ok, I give up. I guess I will have to fold, and see if the HBO clip is up in the morning. :argh:

Sybill out. :p

HBPMax
July 4th, 2009, 8:13 am
HBO first look is up on Youtube.

Part 1 can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq779bLWYKs

Part 2 can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOgt5Y2rdlQ

Enjoy!

dchristen03
July 4th, 2009, 8:16 am

Enjoy!

I think they're great, although I wish they could stop showing new scenes -- I really want to watch the movie without seeing most of it by far.

ArryGrotter
July 4th, 2009, 8:17 am
I was also very surprised to hear Draco call Filch a "stinking squib" when he's dragging him to the teachers during the slug club party.
That line was in the game! I must say I spotted all the lines from the film said in the game (played it all today :whistle:)

Does Dumbledore ever profess his trust of Snape directly to Harry in the film? Does he ever outright state "I TRUST Severus Snape, Harry!"?

I'm sure he does sometime... probably during a lesson.

SybillOnWheels
July 4th, 2009, 8:21 am
Oh would you look at that! Right as I was putting on my jammies! *scuttles off to watch the video*

EDIT: Just watched it! I cannot wait for the scene on the astronomy tower!

And HBC's Bellatrix is even naughtier this time around. I just really love everything about how she plays this character, how she says "make the Unbreakable Vow", how she's leaning against the bookshelves, etc. Exactly how I imagined that scene.

11 more days! :):):)

Ok, bed.

Moriath
July 4th, 2009, 8:47 am
I noticed an increase in chit-chat, for which we already have a thread, the Pitchside: Halftime Chat v14 (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=115471). You know the drill, further OT posts will be deleted without warning.

ArryGrotter
July 4th, 2009, 8:56 am
Just saw the HBO preview :wow:

I love some of the new stuff we saw, such as Hermione's parents' profession making it into the filmverse :wow:

lcbaseball22
July 4th, 2009, 8:57 am

Enjoy!

Sweet! Thanks for posting...took long enough :lol: *off to watch*

Yup. :tu: Although a stray body somewhere could've been useful...I have to slightly agree with the baseball boy on that.

Err, thanks. I think bodies falling off would make it a bit more impactful (its odd cause I believe filming reports said stuntmen jumped off the bridge so who knows what happened to that) but it's fine the way it is. BTW, I'm hardly a "boy"...I'm 21 yr old guy, same age as you :p

ArryGrotter
July 4th, 2009, 9:50 am
Oh, I just remembered on second watch they they introduce Regulus too! YAY!

:love: :D

lcbaseball22
July 4th, 2009, 10:15 am
Alright, I just finished watching both parts of the HBO special. That was AWESOME! Lots of new footage and dialogue, oh that was cool.

Some thoughts:

First thing I noticed was this line of Draco's-

"...pitch myself off the Astronomy Tower" Anyone think that might be deliberate (but subtle) foreshadowing?! Regardless, I think it's neat.

I agree with MoD, Quidditch does look CRAZY. And wow, yeah Cormac is so arrogant...but soo damn good :wow: His agility and coordination is incredible. One thing I don't get though is why they don't just catch the freaking ball with their hands like a soccer goalie (though sometimes all they are able to do is deflect it)...instead they are trying to kick it out or head it or punch it away with their fist or something. Perhaps I'm just too used to "muggle sports" but I think it'd make more sense to catch it and then toss it out to a teammate.

As with Arry, I'm surprised that they introduced Regulus...and also got Hermione's parents profession in there. Those were both a shock

Did you all notice the "boyish grin" on Harry's face as Ron and Lavender are kissing? I found that quite amusing...like, way to go buddy! :lol:

The scene between Draco and Dumbledore looks really good, quite intense. Felton's acting looks incredible in this film...as does Gambon's

Lavender is very pretty but I think I might get annoyed with her (which is probably the point, right?)

Oh yeah, that scene with the death eaters trying to penetrate Hogwarts defenses. Perhaps it's just how they edited but it looks like it is indeed during Dumbledore's Great Hall speech ("every day, every hour, dark forces attempt to penetrate these walls") If so, that's awesome...PERFECT placement. Oh, and it's not as quick as it sounded. It's long enough to be noticeable and gets the point across, IMO

ArryGrotter
July 4th, 2009, 10:21 am
First thing I noticed was this line of Draco's-

"...pitch myself off the Astronomy tower" Anyone think that might be deliberate (but subtle) foreshadowing?! Regardless, I think it's neat.

Of course that was deliberate - everything in a script is :p

Oh yeah, that scene with the death eaters trying to penetrate Hogwarts defenses. Perhaps it's just how they edited but it looks like it is indeed during Dumbledore's Great Hall speech ("every day, every hour, dark forces attempt to penetrate these walls") If so, that's awesome...PERFECT placement. Oh, and it's not as quick as it sounded. It's long enough to be noticeable and gets the point across, IMO

I don't think thats where it is. (We actually got told otherwise, didn't we?) I think that we'll see the Aurors at that point, actually...

DML1991
July 4th, 2009, 10:22 am
These are those amazing shots of the Dumbledore/Draco confrontation I talked about...

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj16/dml16/Clipboard17-1.jpg

Sorry for the not so great quality, but the shot in HD is absolutely gorgeous. That and I love the stance of the shot here, it's just perfect. One of the standout shots of the film IMO.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj16/dml16/Clipboard18-1.jpg

Very intense, and perfect for Harry sitting below the floor. I just wonder how full of hatred, yet compassion Harry must feel sitting there focusing solely on Malfoy...

lcbaseball22
July 4th, 2009, 10:29 am
Hey, do you guys think all of this footage is finished? I'm noticing in a lot of the shots the backgrounds are lacking texture...similar to that first featurette with all the unfinished footage. I think this was compiled a while back when the computer work wasn't done yet... :hmm:

DML1991
July 4th, 2009, 10:31 am
Hey, do you guys think all of this footage is finished? I'm noticing in a lot of the shots the backgrounds are lacking texture...similar to that first featurette with all the unfinished footage. I think this was compiled a while back when the computer work wasn't done yet... :hmm:They showed footage from the teaser of the orphanage scene, so no.

Moshi
July 4th, 2009, 12:36 pm
Tom's getting good mentions at IMDB. I did read where one person who saw the film said the trio were excellent and Gambon deserved a lead oscar nod and Broadbent a supporting one. Cool beans!

Emma seems to be getting good mentions as well. I think the love triangle is so funny it sticks in peoples minds.

KlausBaudelaire
July 4th, 2009, 1:49 pm
The Astronomy Tower scene will give me nightmares, I think.
Michael Gambon's Dumbledore looks so weak, so old, so innocuous and terrified, it just looks blasphemous to kill him.

decarus
July 4th, 2009, 1:51 pm
I think the HBO things were great. There was a lot of new footage. I am going to have to watch them again.

I'm surprised to hear that too; the word squib has never been used in the films, and I assume that Merope, another squib introduced in HBP, isn't referred to. I wonder if this is like the use of 'Moony' and 'Padfoot' in OotP, where this movie ignores the fact that a previous one didn't explain or use the term.
Merope isn't a squib.

PS. They keep showing the clip in the courtyard in these things. Why do they do that if the scene is cut? It isn't as if that scene is that interesting that they need to keep showing it in clips.

Did you see McLaggen licking his finger while looking at Hermione. I am thinking he is going to be pretty funny in this film.

boushh
July 4th, 2009, 3:16 pm
Err, thanks. I think bodies falling off would make it a bit more impactful (its odd cause I believe filming reports said stuntmen jumped off the bridge so who knows what happened to that) but it's fine the way it is.

So did you noticed the stuff (possibly bodies) falling off the bridge when it was twisting? It's hard to tell on the youtube clip if they are bodies or debris, but there is definitely stuff that falls in the water.

The whole first looks was great. I love all the behind the scenes stuff of people out of character. :)

I'm hoping for some other interesting pictures on Slughorn's mantle. Didn't the young actor who played young Snape say he had short bit in a movie picture for this movie? I wonder if it made it in?

harry5678
July 4th, 2009, 4:32 pm
Wow.

Wow. The HBO stuff just makes me wish July 15th was today. Wow. The astronomy tower just looks so perfect, and I don't think i'll be bored with the Romance OR annoyed with it, it all looks like it'll be quite fun! And Quidditch! My gosh!! That's how it SHOULD be! The first two movies played Quidditch far to tame, and this really shows how hard Quidditch can get. I love how some of Cormac saves are in slo-motion, for some reason I find that funny, they did just so he'd seem that much more "awesome" and I love how Ron's are so desperate just to not let the ball through! However, he does do better during the match. In this whole thing my favorite Behind-The-Scenes clip has to be Dan making himself known on the day of the Ron/Lavender kiss, "CUT!" Lol That was hilarious. And Ron on Love potion just looks funnier everytime i see it! Oh goodness, this movie just looks too good now! If those reviews of it being Oscar Worthy are indeed true (which at this point I wouldn't find it too hard to believe) then, my friends, we may indeed have the biggest film of them all (minus Deathly Hallows, which with how awesome this one was should automatically beat the others single handed)

Sacred_Memories
July 4th, 2009, 5:38 pm
Pity that they cut out Snape's line, "You may have your mother's eyes, but you are as dim as your father."

boushh
July 4th, 2009, 6:13 pm
Pity that they cut out Snape's line, "You may have your mother's eyes, but you are as dim as your father."

I'm curious to see if that's actually cut out. We only had one report about a person not remember that line right? Have there been more? Others seem to be more along the lines of, "I don't want to say what they talk about because it would ruin it..."

I'm assuming that one shot of Harry and Snape from what looks like the Astronomy Tower staircase is from when Harry goes to meet Dumbledore and he overhears Snape and Dumbledore arguing? I like how it's sort of silhouetted.

SwedishSkinJer
July 4th, 2009, 6:22 pm
We haven't seen the full scene, so how should we know if they cut it?

Also: They don't mention Harry inheriting Grimauld Place or Kreacher in this movie, so how will they explain Kreacher working on Harry's command and Harry being able to enter Sirius's house in the next film?

LordThingy
July 4th, 2009, 6:35 pm
It's so hard to resist all these videos... I might cave i soon if anymore come out :[

jammi567
July 4th, 2009, 6:44 pm
The ITV preview will be coming out next Saturday at 7:00pm.I've just seen an advert for it.

boushh
July 4th, 2009, 6:54 pm
We haven't seen the full scene, so how should we know if they cut it?

We are talking about reports from people who have seen it so we're trying to guess from those. That's how we knew of its apparent existence in the first place. We won't know for sure until we see the final film for ourselves, of course. I'm hoping it's in actually. I got used to the idea. Even if it doesn't make it in the film I'm hoping we get to see the deleted portion of the scene. I'm curious about the delivery of the line.

BurrowGhoul
July 4th, 2009, 7:02 pm
Also: They don't mention Harry inheriting Grimauld Place or Kreacher in this movie, so how will they explain Kreacher working on Harry's command and Harry being able to enter Sirius's house in the next film?They can solve the problem by mentioning it in the next movie.

9th_Wonder
July 4th, 2009, 7:37 pm
Quidditch looks amazing! It's finally going to be portrayed as the extremely fast and dangerous sport it is.

Hermione: "My parents are dentists."
Slughorn: "Is that considered a dangerous profession?"
:rotfl: :rotfl:

It seems like this movie is going to have the best acting out of all the movies in the series. And according to all the positive reviews I've read, Gambon, Felton, and Broadbent (I think that's how it's spelled :lol:) are going to shine above the rest.

SwedishSkinJer
July 4th, 2009, 7:55 pm
When I first found out that Jim Broadbent was portraying Slughorn, I was very excited. He's perfect for the role, but I wish we could have seen his walrus mustache. :(

DML1991
July 4th, 2009, 8:01 pm
http://bazblog.dailymail.co.uk/2009/07/review-harry-potter-and-the-half-blood-prince.html

runaroundkid
July 4th, 2009, 8:18 pm
The ITV preview will be coming out next Saturday at 7:00pm.I've just seen an advert for it.

Fantastic, thanks for the info! Did the ad show any footage from the programme -- any of the actors or behind-the-scenes footage or anything?

Richard_G.
July 4th, 2009, 8:23 pm
Hey, sorry if this has been confirmed or not, but I just watched the first five minutes...where's the footage from the Ministry in the beginning? With Harry and Dumbledore walking out? Has that been removed from the film?

LordThingy
July 4th, 2009, 8:25 pm
Hey, sorry if this has been confirmed or not, but I just watched the first five minutes...where's the footage from the Ministry in the beginning? With Harry and Dumbledore walking out? Has that been removed from the film?

They show that before they show the WB logo, it is still included.

Sesquipedalian
July 4th, 2009, 8:28 pm

As far as we are aware, it is still in the film; at the beginning of the movie, according to people who attended press-screenings, we will see the Warner Bros. logo, then the flashback of Harry and Dumbledore at the Ministry, then the "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" logo (this is where, I believe, the first five minutes video begins) and then it goes exactly as it did in the first five minutes.:)

EDIT: Ah, I see that LordThingy beat me to it (most likely due to the fact that my response is about twenty or more words longer than his).

Sacred_Memories
July 4th, 2009, 8:48 pm
Nice review from the Daily Mail.

"...the dark intensity and romantic yearning on display in Half Blood Prince compel me to await the two Deathly Hallows films with an eagerness I hadn't realised I possessed."

Kanksha
July 4th, 2009, 8:52 pm
Okay the trailer is FINALLY being shown in India and I've heard that it's playing with a movie that I really really really don't want to see :grumble:
But I'm going to, I HAVE to see it on the big screen!

I caught up on the 30 pages of thread that I missed in 3 days (seriously people). Any idea if AOL radio is still playing the soundtrack?

I have also with great difficulty managed to not watch any more of the clips (even though I was sorely tempted by the HBO behind the scenes clip). Actually I'm thinking behind the scenes stuff is watchable, it's not really a spoiler. Hmmmm :evil:

boushh
July 4th, 2009, 9:00 pm
From that Daily Mail review:

Till then, we have The Half-Blood Prince, a movie which sets the scene for what I suspect will be titanic struggles between good (Harry) and evil (Lord Voldemort). It's worth studying because it has been made in a style that will suit both youngsters and adults. A silly kids film it is not.

I just thought that bolded bit would be something of extra interest here. :)

Sacred_Memories
July 4th, 2009, 9:48 pm
New evil poster. This just looks deliciously sick.

http://www.cineplex.com/ecms.ashx/ExclusiveContent/HP6_wp_1280x1024_02.jpg

SwedishSkinJer
July 4th, 2009, 9:50 pm
Greyback looks awesome.

DML1991
July 4th, 2009, 9:51 pm
Looks like Rupert is going to miss the premiere because he contracted the swine flu. :(

edit: looks like he's recovering and won't miss it. I hope he's not too sick that others will get it.

Hes
Please put huge images like that under expanded tags, there might be people that use dail up, thank you.

SwedishSkinJer
DML, they said he has recovered, and his publicist also said that Rupert was told he was well enough to attend by his personal doctor. He's not contagious anymore.

decarus
That's a great poster. Greyback looks creepy.

Swine flu really isn't any worse then regular flu at least this strand.

DML1991
July 4th, 2009, 9:53 pm
DML, they said he has recovered, and his publicist also said that Rupert was told he was well enough to attend by his personal doctor. He's not contagious anymore.Yeah, I just edited my post after reading that on snitchseeker. Yahoo as usual exaggerrated a little.

SwedishSkinJer
July 4th, 2009, 9:58 pm
A bit of irony, though. Ron is always the one getting "sick" in the books (poisoning, love potion, slugs), and then Rupert contracts the swine flu.

MasterOfDeath
July 4th, 2009, 10:07 pm
I was surprised that Slughorn mentions Hermione's muggle parents! It sounds like this film is really adding some of the depth of information from the book here and there. Sorta like the LOTR films did, they hinted at a larger universe beyond the narrative. It just makes the fantasy world all the more real and palpable. I also assume it's to set up DH. Hasn't Hermione's mother been cast for DH?

Note how the Carrow twins at the Slug club (the young girls created for the film, not the older death eaters) give Hermione a snooty look when Slughorn mentions her parents are muggles. :tu:

Cool about Regulus too...though people might be confused for the film to suddenly reveal Sirius had a brother...they definitely needed a little comment form Harry about not knowing Sirius had a brother. I do like how it sorta subtly reminds people how Sirius was the black sheep of his family, and I love Harry's long sad stare when Slughorn mentions Sirius. Believe it or not, this is a major plot point since they kept the fake locket and R.A.B in the film.

Sorry to hear about Rupert but I'm glad he's okay. Jeez, I hope this movie doesn't follow the dark knight in that it's so good, it's cursed. :scared:

ArryGrotter
July 4th, 2009, 10:16 pm
Someone asked before, and yes the AOL soundtrack previews are still going, but I haven't managed to catch a new one in ages....

Sorry to hear about Rupert but I'm glad he's okay. Jeez, I hope this movie doesn't follow the dark knight in that it's so good, it's cursed. :scared:

Well, the Sun reported it was cursed over a year ago ;)

nmpsr_14
July 4th, 2009, 11:32 pm
Someone asked before, and yes the AOL soundtrack previews are still going, but I haven't managed to catch a new one in ages....

Well, the Sun reported it was cursed over a year ago ;)

Why did the Sun say it was cursed?

dchristen03
July 4th, 2009, 11:32 pm
The Astronomy Tower scene will give me nightmares, I think.
Michael Gambon's Dumbledore looks so weak, so old, so innocuous and terrified, it just looks blasphemous to kill him.

Agreed. :(

ArryGrotter
July 4th, 2009, 11:34 pm
Why did the Sun say it was cursed?

They made up a story that there was a fire on set or something? I can't remember the details - it was so long ago - but it was all fake! :lol:

Sacred_Memories
July 5th, 2009, 1:06 am
I can't believe the Sun haven't been sued with all the lies they've been spawning.

CandyCane23049
July 5th, 2009, 3:00 am
I can't believe tuesday will be the premiere in London. Also don't forget that Rupert and Dan will be on Rove tomorrow. Hopefully someone will put that up as soon as it's finish. When is the last time, they did an interview togther.

Also thank's for everyone saying hi to me. Hopefully I will moving up soon.

Montse
July 5th, 2009, 3:03 am
I just saw the HBO first look , and may I say the film looks simply fantastic. From the interviews I dare say this time it seems they are getting things done right. I loved when Yates emphasized about choices, when DD is telling Draco he made all the wrong choices. It has pleased me a lot.
The film seems to really capture the esscence of the book so far. I think I will not be dissapointed. The romance part which has been bugging me ever since we learned about the kiss being messed up, seems to have been handled in a different way, I am not saying it is going to please me as the rest of the film, lets just say I might have become less skeptical it will work.
Time cannot go by fast enough.

Kanksha
July 5th, 2009, 3:05 am

Oh that was me thanks! :) I've been listening for quite some time but they're playing loads of other soundtracks. I'll keep at it then!

MasterOfDeath
July 5th, 2009, 3:37 am
Hey, I just thought of something...when Dumbledore says "I once knew a boy who made all the wrong choices" we all assume he's talking about Tom Riddle, but what if he's talking about young Grindelwald?....or....himself?! :wow:

Kanksha
July 5th, 2009, 3:45 am
Hey, I just thought of something...when Dumbledore says "I once knew a boy who made all the wrong choices" we all assume he's talking about Tom Riddle, but what if he's talking about young Grindelwald?....or....himself?! :wow:

Actually I just assumed he was talking about himself. When I read your post it only just struck me that he could have been talking of young Tom Riddle too. :whistle:

EmmyRocks
July 5th, 2009, 3:47 am
I always thought he was talking about himself, but that post got some wheels turning.... :hmm:

MasterOfDeath
July 5th, 2009, 3:52 am
Interesting! I suppose I assumed he was talking about Riddle because of the trailers where that line is edited to make it seem he was talking about Tom.

CandyCane23049
July 5th, 2009, 3:55 am
I have to find the actual article but, it's an blog on EW.com asking does HP need more sex?

Kanksha
July 5th, 2009, 3:58 am
Oh. :p I didn't watch the trailers I was just going by what everybody was saying of the line. Though it depends. Does he say "I knew a boy who made some wrong choices" or "I knew a boy who made all the wrong choices"?

If it's the latter then he's probably talking about Tom Riddle because he himself only made the one wrong choice, not so many. But if it's the former it could go either way!

CandyCane23049
July 5th, 2009, 4:02 am
http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2009/07/harry-potter-sex.html#comment-6a00d8341bf6c153ef011571bc1e58970b

[QUOTE=Kanksha;5347924]Oh. :p I didn't watch the trailers I was just going by what everybody was saying of the line. Though it depends. Does he say "I knew a boy who made some wrong choices" or "I knew a boy who made all the wrong choices"?

If it's the latter then he's probably talking about Tom Riddle because he himself only made the one wrong choice, not so many. But if it's the former it could go either way![/QUOTE

decarus
July 5th, 2009, 4:04 am
I think he was talking about Tom Riddle. In HBP they meet young Riddle and see his choices. That makes sense within the context.

IenjoyAcidPops
July 5th, 2009, 4:14 am

See, I actually did think of Grindelwald first when I heard that line; not really sure why. I'm sure the line is meant to refer to Tom Riddle, but it's interesting that it can mean as much as it does.

CandyCane23049
July 5th, 2009, 4:17 am
http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2009/07/harry-potter-sex.html#comment-6a00d8341bf6c153ef011571bc1e58970b

[QUOTE=Kanksha;5347924]Oh. :p I didn't watch the trailers I was just going by what everybody was saying of the line. Though it depends. Does he say "I knew a boy who made some wrong choices" or "I knew a boy who made all the wrong choices"?

If it's the latter then he's probably talking about Tom Riddle because he himself only made the one wrong choice, not so many. But if it's the former it could go either way![/QUOTE

Don't know how I mixed it up. But this is an article questioning if HBP and DH need sex in the movies.

cgold
July 5th, 2009, 4:20 am
Although I'm trying to temper my excitement since every Harry Potter movie for the past few years have been a huge disappointment, these reviews and behind the scenes specials are getting me really excited. While I very much doubt Gambon's work is really oscar worthy, just hearing so many people praising his work this time around has me really hopeful that I won't be cheering when he drops from the Astronomy Tower like I fully expected to do after seeing all his past performances. That's what I'm most looking forward to now. He ruined my favourite character in the books and it would be excellent to see him finally do the role some justice. Can't wait!

SolarHeart
July 5th, 2009, 4:37 am
About the quote "I once knew a boy who made all the wrong choices" is talking about Tom Riddle as the main plot of the movie is about Riddle. However, it is one of those things that could be taken as more than one thing.

As for Gambon's performance, I've actually liked his Dumbledore better than Richard Harris. I just think there were a few instances, like in GOF, where he was directed in the wrong way. From what I've seen so far, this could be his best and most accurate portrayal of Dumbledore so far. I just hope his death scene is much more moving than Sirius's was.

Kanksha
July 5th, 2009, 4:52 am

Don't know how I mixed it up. But this is an article questioning if HBP and DH need sex in the movies.

Oh yes, it's quite silly though. With a PG rating there isn't much to worry about on that count.

Isn't it interesting how everybody thinks that "wrong choices" line refers to a different person? I like such ambiguity. :)

CandyCane23049
July 5th, 2009, 4:55 am
I wonder why the person who made the statement would think that though? It's just so stupid and annoying that people want sex in everything.

SwedishSkinJer
July 5th, 2009, 5:04 am
Guys, I just thought of something: does the attack on the Burrow in this movie destroy the house, because they need it in the seventh movie, or does it just damage the Burrow?

ArryGrotter
July 5th, 2009, 5:06 am
Guys, I just thought of something: does the attack on the Burrow in this movie destroy the house, because they need it in the seventh movie, or does it just damage the Burrow?

There seems to be some damage created to the actual house, but its nothing a little magic can fix ;)

dchristen03
July 5th, 2009, 5:07 am

Hmm, good point.

In the trailer we just see a ring of fire around the Burrow with some members of the Order helping it to die down - probably the Burrow won't be harmed, although some parts of it that are closest to the ring of fire would be a bit damaged. But alltogether, I don't think the Burrow would break down or anything, or even burn down - there's just a ring of fire surrounding it, not IN it.

9th_Wonder
July 5th, 2009, 5:07 am

I'm sure it will just damage it. They wouldn't destroy it knowing that it's significant in DH.

BurrowGhoul
July 5th, 2009, 5:13 am
I'm sure it will just damage it. They wouldn't destroy it knowing that it's significant in DH.
Could they just use a different venue in 7? I mean, not canonwise, but could they make it workable?

SolarHeart
July 5th, 2009, 5:18 am
I'm 99% positive I heard somewhere that the house is only damaged, not destroyed. Can't remember where I heard it though.

theprince18
July 5th, 2009, 5:20 am

I don't think the ring of fire destroyed the house. Some parts of the trailer showed fire going into the Burrow when Bellatrix and Greyback departed, but I don't think it caused any damage that magic can't fix.

That's what I thought when I originally watched it. He could have been talking about himself or young Grindelwald, but I think he was talking about Tom Riddle though because that's one of the main themes, but could it be a little foreshadowing for DH?

9th_Wonder
July 5th, 2009, 5:21 am
Could they just use a different venue in 7? I mean, not canonwise, but could they make it workable?

I guess they could use a different venue but why would they want to?

SwedishSkinJer
July 5th, 2009, 5:23 am
What do you all think of Broadbent as Slughorn?

He seemed great in the HBO preview.

SybillOnWheels
July 5th, 2009, 5:23 am
Well if you look at the trailers that we've seen, it's not just the ring of fire that would damage the Burrow -- the DEs actually crash into the building, causing explosions and setting it aflame. There are actually flames inside the house; you can see this through one of the windows.

Who knows, they might just use a different setting for the wedding, anyway. What's this news that we heard the other day about using parts of the queen's grounds? Maybe they're using that for the wedding.

theprince18
July 5th, 2009, 5:26 am

I think he is fantastic. He really portrays Slughorn's character well, the way he only likes the famous and most powerful. Can't wait to see all the scenes he is in. I will be laughing through those scenes.

MasterOfDeath
July 5th, 2009, 5:26 am

To be honest...his performance comes across as 'weak' to me and 'underperformed'. I don't know what it is about it, but there's no juice there. The character in the book had such a presence and so much character and Broadbent is coming across as too quiet and odd. He's not really memorable, imo. Hopefully his performance is better in the context of the film.

SwedishSkinJer
July 5th, 2009, 5:28 am
To be honest...his performance comes across as 'weak' to me and 'underperformed'. I don't know what it is about it, but there's no juice there. The character in the book had such a presence and so much character and Broadbent is coming across as too quiet and odd. He's not really memorable, imo. Hopefully his performance is better in the context of the film.

Are you kidding? He seems very energetic in the trailers. How does he come off as quiet? I especially like the beginning scene when he says Merlin's beards. He seems great.

MasterOfDeath
July 5th, 2009, 5:33 am
Are you kidding? He seems very energetic in the trailers. How does he come off as quiet? I especially like the beginning scene when he says Merlin's beards. He seems great.

Yeah, that was a good line, but everything else was just rushed and meh to me. It's not bad, but it's just kinda disappointing to me. Maybe it'll be better in the actual film.

SwedishSkinJer
July 5th, 2009, 5:35 am
Yeah, that was a good line, but everything else was just rushed and meh to me. It's not bad, but it's just kinda disappointing to me. Maybe it'll be better in the actual film.

What about the line when he asked Hermione about her parents?

The way he said "Muggle world" sounded like Slughorn would. I also like how he captures how Slughorn wants to constantly be around celebrities, because in the trailer he's taking pictures with Harry.

MasterOfDeath
July 5th, 2009, 5:36 am
What about the line when he asked Hermione about her parents?

The way he said "Muggle world" sounded like Slughorn would. I also like how he captures how Slughorn wants to constantly be around celebrities, because in the trailer he's taking pictures with Harry.

Yeah, as I said, it wasn't bad. It just didn't have as much life and drama as I expected, the way he talks. He's just another character. He doesn't have as much as a distinct personality as he did in the book, imo. I never imagined Slughorn to be a subtle character, I guess.

SwedishSkinJer
July 5th, 2009, 5:43 am
Yeah, as I said, it wasn't bad. It just didn't have as much life and drama as I expected, the way he talks. He's just another character. He doesn't have as much as a distinct personality as he did in the book, imo. I never imagined Slughorn to be a subtle character, I guess.

Well we'll see. He looks amazing imo

IenjoyAcidPops
July 5th, 2009, 5:44 am
Broadbent isn't exactly the image of Slughorn I had in my mind, but just the same, I like what I've seen of his performance so far. His delivery of "I'd have liked the set" in reference to Sirius especially stands out to me.

boushh
July 5th, 2009, 5:44 am
I was a bit worried about Broadbent after some of the test screening reviews, but what we've seen in the HBO special restored my faith. I was happy when he was cast, and from the little we've seen I think he's going to be very good. I have a feeling it's going to be a nuanced performance. We'll see I guess.

Also, about Dumbledore's line about choices to Draco. Initially one would think he was talking about Tom Riddle, but yes knowing what we know from DH he could be talking about himself, Grindelwald, Regulus, or Snape... There is more depth to the line looking at it in hindsight.

MasterOfDeath
July 5th, 2009, 5:52 am
I was a bit worried about Broadbent after some of the test screening reviews, but what we've seen in the HBO special restored my faith. I was happy when he was cast, and from the little we've seen I think he's going to be very good. I have a feeling it's going to be a nuanced performance. We'll see I guess.

Also, about Dumbledore's line about choices to Draco. Initially one would think he was talking about Tom Riddle, but yes knowing what we know from DH he could be talking about himself, Grindelwald, Regulus, or Snape... There is more depth to the line looking at it in hindsight.

Yeah, maybe if I separate what I expected of the book character and look at his performance on it's own, I'll enjoy it better.

Yeah, that line has so much depth, character-wise and thematically, I love it!! It was absolutely genius to place it there. We didn't know any dialog from the Draco/Dumbledore scene and I was kinda worried that the scene would be too rushed and the death eaters arrive too quickly, but this HBO preview restored my faith in that scene. Felton and Gambon play off each other so wonderfully and both are masterfully on-par.

DML1991
July 5th, 2009, 6:09 am
To be honest...his performance comes across as 'weak' to me and 'underperformed'. I don't know what it is about it, but there's no juice there. The character in the book had such a presence and so much character and Broadbent is coming across as too quiet and odd. He's not really memorable, imo. Hopefully his performance is better in the context of the film.I disagree. I think he's full of energy, the expressions on his face are pure Slughorn, especially when he said "is that a dangerous profession?", it's just perfect Slughorn in my opinion. And I'm someone who was angry when I saw the first stills and he looked nothing like I imagined, but ever since I saw the trailer that came out in November, I've turned into a Broadbent/Slughorn fan. This preview only make my excitement of his performance higher.

SwedishSkinJer
July 5th, 2009, 6:11 am
I think the same idea applies to Alan Rickman and Maggie. They don't exactly look like their characters, but they capture the spirit of them so well that you come to pay more attention to their personalities than their appearances. I think the same will hold true to Broadbent.

SybillOnWheels
July 5th, 2009, 6:12 am
May I just say Gambon looks to be the big stunner of this one. That one line in the HBO special just confirmed this.

SwedishSkinJer
July 5th, 2009, 6:19 am
I like the edited ending, too. Anyone agree? All of them slowly raising their wands as the Dark Mark slowly disappears. I think it's best that they left the battle out, as they want to save it for the last film. Maybe the funeral will be a deleted scene, as they did shoot it, apparently

MasterOfDeath
July 5th, 2009, 6:37 am
May I just say Gambon looks to be the big stunner of this one. That one line in the HBO special just confirmed this.

:agree: Gambon looks like he's going to steal the film. Felton looks the best of all the young actors, imo but that may be because his role is the most dramatic in this film.

I'm probably going to shock you all again but...Alan Rickman...Some of his lines feel overdone, imo. Too drawn-out, too over-dramatic. "TAKE...OUT....YOUR...WAND." "I'LL...ESCORT...HIM...OUT." That slow suspicious manner of speaking is fine for a line here and a line there, but I hope every line he says isn't so melodramatic. :lol: It's like he's screaming: "I'M SUSPICIOUS, I'M BEING SUSPICIOUS, SEE HOW SUSPICIOUS I AM!?" :lol: I have the same complaint about Helena Bonham Carter. I never was a big fan of her as Bellatrix. I feel she plays her as too much of just a deranged loon, while in the book she was actually a strong, powerful character who was obsessive and worshiped Voldemort but wasn't a complete nutcase. Her "Make the unbreakable vow" line comes across as too melodramatic and comical to me...

But I'm sorry, I don't mean to nitpick. :lol:

SwedishSkinJer
July 5th, 2009, 6:42 am
No offense but you might as well say you hate every great actor in the film.

And he's not being suspicious, that's how he's talked throughout the series, he says it in a very condescending, mean way, not suspicious, it's his trademark voice as snape

MasterOfDeath
July 5th, 2009, 6:48 am
No offense but you might as well say you hate every great actor in the film.

And he's not being suspicious, that's how he's talked throughout the series, he says it in a very condescending, mean way, not suspicious, it's his trademark voice as snape

I think he was a bit more subtle in the other films. He did speak in that way from time to time, but there was other layers to his character. I guess we just need to see more. And I don't hate every actor in the film. I'm expressing my impression of some of their performances. I thought Maggie Smith looked great in this preview! She was struggling through breast cancer and she still managed to return to the spirit of her character from PS/SS and GOF. I felt she was a bit weak in OOTP, but here she really is strong, strict but fair Minerva again, imo. Her line about Ron enjoying himself too much is hilarious. :lol:

IenjoyAcidPops
July 5th, 2009, 7:08 am
Well, we can't really judge anyone's performance yet (nor do I think anyone really is, I'm just saying), but I loved Helena Bonham Carter's Bellatrix in the previous film, and I have yet to see something I disliked for this one; I do think she presents a strong and insanely devoted character in addition to just plain insane. And as for Rickman...I'm pretty sure the tone, wardrobe, and general sinister aura has made him completely suspicious from day one - at least in my opinion. :lol: I don't know, I would describe him his work in these films as subtly over-the-top: it's sort of broad, but there are layers there that haven't been seen to this point.

ArryGrotter
July 5th, 2009, 9:37 am
I'm faced with a hard decision now: should I see it at 8:30am in a small screen or at 10:30am on a BIG screen? :shrug:

Kanksha
July 5th, 2009, 9:39 am
I was going to suggest both. :yuhup:
But then I realised you can't, not with the 153 minute run time.

BIG screen! :D

GinnyPotter15
July 5th, 2009, 10:45 am
I'm faced with a hard decision now: should I see it at 8:30am in a small screen or at 10:30am on a BIG screen? :shrug:

most definately big screen.

Lost_Elf
July 5th, 2009, 12:17 pm
Master Of Death, I completely agree with everything you said about Snape in the latest videos we've seen and about Bellatrix. There was no need for that intonation in "Take out your wand" . And there was more range in his deliveries in past movies . I hope he doesn't become one-note in this, where he is becoming such an important character. Then again, we'll have to see more. As for Bellatrix, I didn't like her from day one. Nothing like Bellatrix from the books where she was actually frightening and hateful. I the movies I only hate her becomes she's an over-the-top crazy woman.

CandyCane23049
July 5th, 2009, 2:44 pm
via twitter James Phelps said him and his brother will be on ITV tonight at 9. Don't know what that is but I thought Ill let people know who can see it.

decarus
July 5th, 2009, 2:48 pm
There seems to be some damage created to the actual house, but its nothing a little magic can fix ;)
The burrow is damaged in the film. As long as they didn't just stand there and continue to watch it burn they may be able to put out the fire. Regardless, i think it is reasonable that they could fix it before DH.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk18/decarus427/HBP/burrow2.png

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk18/decarus427/HBP/burrow1.png
When they showed Slughorn talking about his pictures, i thought about when Slughorn gets a picture of Harry at the Christmas party. It almost seemed like he just went up and shook Harry's hand and took a picture without saying anything. It made me wonder if all his pictures were taken in that manner.

I like the edited ending, too. Anyone agree? All of them slowly raising their wands as the Dark Mark slowly disappears. I think it's best that they left the battle out, as they want to save it for the last film. Maybe the funeral will be a deleted scene, as they did shoot it, apparently
I don't think the funeral was shot. I think when Dan said that the funeral felt like an Irish wake he was talking about this moment when all the characters were there and they raised their wands around Dumbledore's body.

PS. I agree about Snape's two lines, but i think they were discussing the way he pauses when speaking. That is why they showed two lines were Snape pauses while speaking. I don't think that means he will speak that way on every line. I think this might be a wait and see moment.

CarlySue
July 5th, 2009, 2:53 pm
As for Bellatrix, I didn't like her from day one. Nothing like Bellatrix from the books where she was actually frightening and hateful. In the movies I only hate her becomes she's an over-the-top crazy woman.

I agree on that front. In the movies, she's not really all that evil which is not how she was written originally which has always annoyed me. But I imagine she'll get progressively more evil as the movies are released. Hopefully. :)

boushh
July 5th, 2009, 3:12 pm
I think we need to wait and see on Snape, personally. Pretty much everything we have seen of him has been really short, and in the middle of scenes. I don't have a problem with those lines, myself, but they were talking about him taking advantage of pauses or whatever. The director and producer seemed to be tickled by his delivery of the lines, so I think it will be fine. Of course, if one doesn't like him in the role to begin with then I don't think this film is going to change one's mind.

decarus
July 5th, 2009, 3:22 pm
I think we need to wait and see on Snape, personally. Pretty much everything we have seen of him has been really short, and in the middle of scenes. I don't have a problem with those lines, myself, but they were talking about him taking advantage of pauses or whatever. The director and producer seemed to be tickled by his delivery of the lines, so I think it will be fine. Of course, if one doesn't like him in the role to begin with then I don't think this film is going to change one's mind.
I think he is great in the role. I am not really a big fan of Snape, but i think Rickman does a great job as him. He makes him a pretty interesting character. Hopefully he won't smack anyone on the head this film though.

boushh
July 5th, 2009, 3:42 pm
I think he is great in the role. I am not really a big fan of Snape, but i think Rickman does a great job as him. He makes him a pretty interesting character. Hopefully he won't smack anyone on the head this film though.

I don't think you have to worry about that, since I don't think we see him in any sort of classroom setting in this movie. I'm disappointed by that a bit actually, but oh well.

darkevangelist
July 5th, 2009, 4:33 pm
For anyone whos interested Dumbledores Farewell can be heard here http://www.sendspace.com/file/kfcpdc. sorry if this has been posted already.

decarus
July 5th, 2009, 4:41 pm
I can't believe that it is 9 days until we get to see HBP. I never thought it would feel this close. I am so ready.

It doesn't feel like we have seen that many interviews so far. We have had a couple, but a lot of the stuff seems to be stuff that was shot while they were filming HBP. I guess we will get more interviews once the kids come to the states the week before the premiere.

Willz
July 5th, 2009, 5:20 pm
For anyone whos interested Dumbledores Farewell can be heard here http://www.sendspace.com/file/kfcpdc. sorry if this has been posted already.

I don't suppose it's going to be another slow motion thing like when Sirius died. It sounds like the type of music to go with that.

darkevangelist
July 5th, 2009, 7:07 pm
I don't suppose it's going to be another slow motion thing like when Sirius died. It sounds like the type of music to go with that.

I wouldn't really mind slow motion. Slow motion can be a powerfully effective tool if you use it right so I'm all for it if its done right.

TX_Grindelwald
July 5th, 2009, 8:09 pm
I agree on that front. In the movies, she's not really all that evil which is not how she was written originally which has always annoyed me. But I imagine she'll get progressively more evil as the movies are released. Hopefully. :)

Not all that evil? She laughs and taunts Harry right after she kills his godfather. And before that she asks Neville "Hows mom and dad" when she knows very well she tortured them into insanity.

If that isn't evil then I don't know what is.

Noldus
July 5th, 2009, 8:48 pm
Not all that evil? She laughs and taunts Harry right after she kills his godfather. And before that she asks Neville "Hows mom and dad" when she knows very well she tortured them into insanity.

If that isn't evil then I don't know what is.

I totally agree. She is pure madness and extremely evil in the fifth film.:lol: She is just perfect! So is Snape. I can´t see why people complain on such great actors.

Moshi
July 5th, 2009, 10:04 pm
The Variety gave Alan Rickman a rave review. The Hollywood Reporter was weird.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/film-reviews/harry-potter-and-the-half-blood-prince-film-1003990567.story

lyria
July 5th, 2009, 10:18 pm
Hi there, I've been away for some years *shame*, but I saw the full and complete movie yesterday at the cast and crew screening so I thought I would come and offer my news. The LAST thing I want to do is provide spoilers where they are not welcome so if anyone wants to ask any questions then message me privately. Or could someone official let me know where I should post/send my review if you think people would be interested to read it. I hope this is the right place to post this.

Ly x

ArryGrotter
July 5th, 2009, 10:20 pm
Hi there, I've been away for some years *shame*, but I saw the full and complete movie yesterday at the cast and crew screening so I thought I would come and offer my news. The LAST thing I want to do is provide spoilers where they are not welcome so if anyone wants to ask any questions then message me privately. Or could someone official let me know where I should post/send my review if you think people would be interested to read it. I hope this is the right place to post this.

Ly x

This would be the right place to post it - and spoilers are welcome in this thread (here we basically know everything :lol:)

Moshi
July 5th, 2009, 10:22 pm
How did the trio perform acting wise?

How did the older actors do? I so want to see Rickman, Broadbent, and Gambon.

gertiekeddle
July 5th, 2009, 10:25 pm
Questions and answers by those who have seen the movie already are welcome in this thread. One serious warning: It's allowed only as long as we see clearly that nobody makes any details up. Since we had some reviews already and our movie experts in here compared them with the many official information be sure we see instantly if anyone only claims to have seen the film, but haven't. Those members will be excluded from the discussion for a while.

What is in no way allowed are any links to the film or parts of it which aren't official trailers or teasers since it's illegal. Members who try to post those will get banned from this site instantly.

For the actual discussion: You don't have to put your answers into spoiler parts... just be aware you will be bombed with questions. :lol:

lyria
July 5th, 2009, 10:32 pm
Thanks for the info ArryGrotter,

Moshi, I will try to answer your questions. Although I saw the whole thing yesterday it's beginning to feel a bit like a dream where moments keep slipping away from me!

I was really happy with the trio in this movie although (not to rain on their parade) I think it had an awful lot to do with the script and direction: There are a lot- the majority in fact- of scenes which were never in the book at all and they have clearly been but in to give the characters a greater range of... character. Emma particularly impressed me. She's very good at the many moments when Hermione is spontaneous (freaking out when trying to escape McClaggen at Slughorn's party (HILARIOUS)) and also when being upset over Ron's first snog with Lavender. Dan is on form. His comedy lines are his best- quite deadpan. Rupert doesn't get a huge look in but there is one scene where we see his reaction to Harry and Hermione sitting intimately together and we see that first hint of fear/realisation/concern that there is something between them (in his mind) and he conveys this perfectly- brilliant foreshadowing for DH. Onto the older actors...

Moshi
July 5th, 2009, 10:40 pm
Oh you made my day. I was wondering if Rons insecurities was shown. Perfect. That's essential for DH.

I'm glad Emma did well. She gets slammed a lot. Dan had mixed reviews from the early screenings, I'm glad he performed well.

What were your favorite scenes?

lyria
July 5th, 2009, 10:41 pm
I thought Snape was great in this movie although I would have liked to see him lose his cool a bit more when he's alone with Harry at the end (The "COWARD!" bit). I can't quite figure it out but there is definitely something a bit more special about Snape in this movie than there has been in previous ones (when he can become monotonous) He's not perfect but definitely good. I hope it means he's saving up the energy/emotion for DH.

Broadbent is really funny and actually quite a tragic character. I felt really sorry for him. Nothing like the book Slughorn but perfect in his own way. Not as good as Imelda Staunton as Umbridge but then his character is much more subtle. That sounds a bit harsh. He plays a really honest and real character. Someone that we've all known in our own lives.

Gambon is the same as he's always been. Hard to say more really. A really solid performance.

I have a lot of favourite scenes. Here's what I will look forward to most when I see it again:

McClaggen (in all his scenes) was BRILLIANT. Doesn't look like how I imagined: he's pretty hot. He doesn't have a bad attitude re: Quidditch but they've changed him so that he's one of those gorgeous guys who just knows he's gorgeous. He's coming onto Hermione from the beginning- asking Ron to introduce him to her and making sexual innuendos with his food across the table at Slughorn's party.

The bit I mentioned with Ron's realisation is brilliant: Ron and Lavender snog and Hermione runs off. Harry follows her outside to find her crying on the outdoor steps (new location) He's obviously a bit unsure of what to do but he does his best and sits next to her. She asks something I wasn't expecting at all: "Is this what it feels like when you see Ginny kissing Dean?" Harry is taken off-guard too and she continues "I know: I'm your best friend; I see the way you look at her." This brings Harry down to her level of depression: she's obviously hit the nail on the head. At this point (or maybe after a line or too) Ron and Lavender run in holding hands and Lavender goes "Oh sorry, this room's already taken!" She runs off pulling Ron with her but he stays rooted to the spot and has his almost-realisation moment. He starts to ask a question which is when Hermione sends the birds at him and he runs off. She sits back down, right next to Harry with renewed tears and leans on his shoulder. He hugs her back and says "It feels just like this." The camera slowly backs away. It's so beautiful.

Also- Harry having taken the Felix is HILARIOUS- it's really like he's on drugs. He says most of the stuff he thinks in the book. He's very jaunty.

Finally, TomFelton is great in his scenes. I totally felt for DRaco and all the anguish and fear he was going through. Him breaking down in the bathroom was very believeable and there's a nice moment where he realises that he's responsible for the death of a small bird.

There are so many moments I keep remembering: Harry's first line (in response to the question "Who is this Harry Potter anyway?") is : "bit of a tosser actually". Best opening line for a Potter film ever!

Also, Ron and Hermione giving Harry weird looks when he's trying to cosy up to Slughorn before he's told them what he's been asked to do by Dumbledore.

Hermione asking (once Ron says he wants to leave the Three Broomsticks having seen Ginny and Dean snogging a in a corner) "Don't be stupid: Would you expect her to leave if you were in here snogging me?" (and Ron's reaction)

decarus
July 5th, 2009, 11:09 pm
McClaggen (in all his scenes) was BRILLIANT. Doesn't look like how I imagined: he's pretty hot. He doesn't have a bad attitude re: Quidditch but they've changed him so that he's one of those gorgeous guys who just knows he's gorgeous. He's coming onto Hermione from the beginning- asking Ron to introduce him to her and making sexual innuendos with his food across the table at Slughorn's party.

The bit I mentioned with Ron's realisation is brilliant: Ron and Lavender snog and Hermione runs off. Harry follows her outside to find her crying on the outdoor steps (new location) He's obviously a bit unsure of what to do but he does his best and sits next to her. She asks something I wasn't expecting at all: "Is this what it feels like when you see Ginny kissing Dean?" Harry is taken off-guard too and she continues "I know: I'm your best friend; I see the way you look at her." This brings Harry down to her level of depression: she's obviously hit the nail on the head. At this point (or maybe after a line or too) Ron and Lavender run in holding hands and Lavender goes "Oh sorry, this room's already taken!" She runs off pulling Ron with her but he stays rooted to the spot and has his almost-realisation moment. He starts to ask a question which is when Hermione sends the birds at him and he runs off. She sits back down, right next to Harry with renewed tears and leans on his shoulder. He hugs her back and says "It feels just like this." The camera slowly backs away. It's so beautiful.
Wow, i like what you have said here about McLaggen first. I thought he would be funny.

I really like what you have said about the opugno scene. That's great. Thanks for sharing. You did a great job explaining how that scene feels.

Moshi
July 5th, 2009, 11:13 pm
I'm glad Tom got more to do this time around. The Hermione and Harry scene sounds great. Dan and Emma have always had good chemistry. Well I like the trio's chemistry.

Cormac is a cutie. That love triangle or should I say square is already my favorite.

There seems to be a debate as to if the burrow scene was needed. What was your take?

Noldus
July 5th, 2009, 11:17 pm
I thought Snape was great in this movie although I would have liked to see him lose his cool a bit more when he's alone with Harry at the end (The "COWARD!" bit). I can't quite figure it out but there is definitely something a bit more special about Snape in this movie than there has been in previous ones (when he can become monotonous) He's not perfect but definitely good. I hope it means he's saving up the energy/emotion for DH.

Broadbent is really funny and actually quite a tragic character. I felt really sorry for him. Nothing like the book Slughorn but perfect in his own way. Not as good as Imelda Staunton as Umbridge but then his character is much more subtle. That sounds a bit harsh. He plays a really honest and real character. Someone that we've all known in our own lives.

Gambon is the same as he's always been. Hard to say more really. A really solid performance.

I have a lot of favourite scenes. Here's what I will look forward to most when I see it again:

Also- Harry having taken the Felix is HILARIOUS- it's really like he's on drugs. He says most of the stuff he thinks in the book. He's very jaunty.

Finally, TomFelton is great in his scenes. I totally felt for DRaco and all the anguish and fear he was going through. Him breaking down in the bathroom was very believeable and there's a nice moment where he realises that he's responsible for the death of a small bird.

I am really looking forward to this film and the scene you brilliantly described:)
I have some questions. How did Draco know Dumbledore was at the astronomy tower? Did they explain the fact that Voldemort gave Draco this mission as a punishment for Lucius´ failure.

How was the colouring in the film? Did the colours seem a bit washed out? I understand if you have no clue what I´m talking about, but the colouring has been discussed earlier in this thread. WB wanted more colours added to the film and when comparing some footages it seem like they have been washed out.

I don´t know if you have heard "In Noctem" before but do you know where it is used in the film? (here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVeEVD_k3w0

decarus
July 5th, 2009, 11:30 pm
Was the order such as Arthur, Lupin, and Tonks aware that Draco was given a mission by Voldemort? Did they discuss this mission with Harry during Christmastime? Were they aware that Draco bought a vanishing cabinet in B&B's but didn't take it with him?

Was there a scene in the courtyard where Harry says that the reason they couldn't find Draco was because he was in the Room of Requirements? Does Hermione then say that explains the vanishing cabinet? This scene would take place right before Harry goes to the top of the tower to meet Dumbledore as they are going to the cave.

Thranduil1990
July 5th, 2009, 11:31 pm
Is there a scene where harry touches a ring, and then sees dumbledore putting the curse ring and any horrocruxes frames, and then dumbledore touches harry's chest? or something like that

I was meaning this shot.
http://www.oclumencia.com.br/galeria/displayimage.php?album=81&pos=28

do we actually see this?
http://www.oclumencia.com.br/galeria/displayimage.php?album=321&pos=72
http://www.oclumencia.com.br/galeria/displayimage.php?album=321&pos=70

and how about the conversation between dumbledore and draco at the top of the astronomy tower? do you remember any line?

lyria
July 5th, 2009, 11:36 pm
There are a couple of scenes at The Burrow- the first when Harry arrives which is really good- showing Weasleys discussing whether he's there or not on every floor of the house and a short discussion/reunion between the trio in Ron's bedroom- a new set I think. It looks better than previously. Their discussion is a bit random but ends with them all laughing together which is a good start for their relationship in the film.

I assume you are talking about when Harry, Ron and Ginny are back at the Burrow for Christmas. Harry has an argument with Lupin (over whether Draco is a threat I think but Tonks backs Harry up) and a really nice moment with Harry and Arthur in his garage filled with muggle things. Ginny bakes mince pies and feeds one to Harry then Ron comes in and sits in the middle to offer more mince pies. It's kind of funny but the whole situation is a bit contrived. Later, Harry is going upstairs and Ginny ties one of his shoelaces for him- another contrived scene unfortunately. After this (as Tonks and Lupin are leaving after which something happens (an explosion?/a sound? which results in the house being surrounded by flames) Harry runs outside and after the perpetrator (Bella) swiftly followed by Ginny in her nightgown. It's very tense and fast with them running through cornfields/reeds (not really sure I like the new look of the Burrow seemingly sat in middle-america solely for the effect of running through tall reeds. Harry and Ginny become separated and Greyback approaches Ginny. Eventually Harry and Ginny are back together defending themselves against Bella and Greyback but eventually Arthur, Tonks and Lupin join them and the pair apparate/fly then set the house on fire.

I wasn't a fan of this series of scenes for many reasons. For one, the attack seemed only to have been put in to give Greyback and Bella a bit of screentime. The burning of the Burrow was rather unnecessary as there was no mention or reaction to it later in the film. It also confused me that no-one seemed to be very concerned that Ron was presumably still inside the house. (Molly is shown outside crying but I'm pretty sure Ron isn't)

Also the whole Ginny/Harry storyline has changed entirely. There are a lot of big changes between the film and the book but nearly all of them work for the better. This one is probably the only exception. Harry and Ginny never really get together. They just have lots of private 'moments' (like the shoe-tieing) Nearly all of these come across as contrived rather than spontaneous and suggest that Ginny is far more confident and self-knowing than any teenager her age could be- it's like she architects a lot of ways to be alone with Harry rather than being the fun, vibrant and outgoing character she really is.

If the scene was cut the film wouldn't make sense so in that way it's necessary but I wish they'd found a better way to tick the boxes of 'Harry talks to Lupin', 'show more of Greyback', and 'Harry and Ginny have a moment'

Having said this, this series of scenes at the Burrow is an exception in the film as a whole: this is EASILY the best movie they have made so far. It surpasses all of the others in so many ways so don't be too disappointed by this response.

IenjoyAcidPops
July 5th, 2009, 11:53 pm
Well, I have to ask: did you think that the Harry & Dumbledore relationship was as developed as it needed to be? Meaning, did they seem more like friends and less removed this time around? Because this film would have a long way to go to achieve that.

decarus
July 6th, 2009, 12:05 am
I assume you are talking about when Harry, Ron and Ginny are back at the Burrow for Christmas. Harry has an argument with Lupin (over whether Draco is a threat I think but Tonks backs Harry up) and a really nice moment with Harry and Arthur in his garage filled with muggle things. Ginny bakes mince pies and feeds one to Harry then Ron comes in and sits in the middle to offer more mince pies. It's kind of funny but the whole situation is a bit contrived. Later, Harry is going upstairs and Ginny ties one of his shoelaces for him- another contrived scene unfortunately. After this (as Tonks and Lupin are leaving after which something happens (an explosion?/a sound? which results in the house being surrounded by flames) Harry runs outside and after the perpetrator (Bella) swiftly followed by Ginny in her nightgown. It's very tense and fast with them running through cornfields/reeds (not really sure I like the new look of the Burrow seemingly sat in middle-america solely for the effect of running through tall reeds. Harry and Ginny become separated and Greyback approaches Ginny. Eventually Harry and Ginny are back together defending themselves against Bella and Greyback but eventually Arthur, Tonks and Lupin join them and the pair apparate/fly then set the house on fire.
Thanks for the response. I wonder if you remember what specifically Lupin and Harry argued about. Were the order aware that Draco was being sent on a mission for Voldemort? Were they aware that he had bough a vanishing cabinet?

Moshi
July 6th, 2009, 12:07 am
No thank you for your honesty. I've read some other comments that felt the same way that's why I asked.

I only saw a clip of the pie feeding scene and it looked rather over the top. The chemistry seemed off.

I'm curious how the scene between Malfoys mother and Snape went. Does the audience ever get a inkly Snape is a double agent or is he just bad?

lyria
July 6th, 2009, 12:08 am
Okay, I will try to answer all of your questions! Sorry I am so bad at being concise!

Noldus: It is not explained how Draco knew Dumbledore was at the top of the Astronomy Tower but everything is moving so quickly at this point that it does not feel like a plot hole. Harry and Dumbledore apparate from the Astronomy Tower to the cave (they explain this by saying Dumbledore is the only person who can apparate/disapparate within Hogwarts) It would not be unbelieveable to assume that they would apparate back to the same spot.

I can't quite remember if they said it's because of Lucius' failure that Draco is given this role. I don't think they do. It's made very apparent that Lucius is in Azkaban, that his parents are on Voldemort's side and that he's been forced into this mission. It makes narrative sense that with his family ties, Voldemort would decide to use Draco to commit this task.

The colouring in the film is as usual- actually it's more colourful than previous films (which works for the better. I always felt it was a bit contrived that no-one in hogwarts wears home clothes with any bright colours in- they looked so costumey in POA) The exception is at the end in the cave scene where it is practically black and white with the brightness/contrast ratio turned up to the max.

I really could be wrong with 'In Noctem' but I think it is used as Dumbledore dies/ falls from the Astronomy Tower. There is certainly some really beautiful choral music playing when this happens and also afterwards when everyone is gathered around the body.

Decarus, I'm not sure if the Order are aware that Draco has been given a mission- I'm pretty sure they are not aware of it. Harry asks Arthur (in a letter) if they can figure out what Draco was enquiring about in Borgin & Burkes. Arthur tells him at Christmas in the garage that Draco was enquiring about the Vanishing Cabinet but since it remains unsold Harry and the rest of them don't continue down that line of enquiry. From the beginning we are given the impression that Death Eaters are using Borgin and Burkes as a sort of meeting place which seems to be the reason Arthur agreed to investigate Draco- it was the link to Borgin & Burkes rather than Draco himself that made them follow it up.

Harry never talks about not being able to find Draco because he is in the Room of Requirement. Nor do we hear Hermione's comment you quoted.

Thranduil 1990 You've just reminded me of a fantastic bit of foreshadowing which takes place! I have not checked your links but i know the part you mean. This is immediately after Harry and Dumbledore watch Slughorn's real memory. Dumbledore is reeling about how far Voldemort has actually gone into his dark magic pursuits. He then shows Harry the diary and the ring. Harry touches the ring and has that weird, immediate and vivid 'flashback' you describe. Those of us who have read book 7 know he's remembering his life as Voldemort (not that Harry is aware of this.) Harry then does that weird snake-like movement with his neck that he did a lot in film 5. Dumbledore gives him a very deep look. I'm dead certain this is the moment when Dumbledore's brain is beginning to realise that Harry could be a horcrux- you can see the gears going in his brain. Brilliant! Don't remember Dumbledore touching Hary's chest.

At the top of the Astronomy Tower... this is a longish scene and is pretty similar to the book. The only difference is that Harry is on the floor below. There are spaces in the floor so he can see what is happening. I think the lines are almost exactly the same as the book actually.

Infinity9999x
July 6th, 2009, 12:13 am

I was just wondering if you could expand upon this, because Gambon's portrayal of Dumbledore (to me at least) has been very inconsistent in his movies. I thought he was fine in POA, then utterly dreadful in GOF (far too much shouting and DD loosing his temper), and average in GOF (not bad, but poor deliveries on some lines "Don't you have studying to do?" comes to mind).

So I was wondering which performance you think he's closer to giving? More POA or more GOF?

decarus
July 6th, 2009, 12:16 am
Decarus, I'm not sure if the Order are aware that Draco has been given a mission- I'm pretty sure they are not aware of it. Harry asks Arthur (in a letter) if they can figure out what Draco was enquiring about in Borgin & Burkes. Arthur tells him at Christmas in the garage that Draco was enquiring about the Vanishing Cabinet but since it remains unsold Harry and the rest of them don't continue down that line of enquiry. From the beginning we are given the impression that Death Eaters are using Borgin and Burkes as a sort of meeting place which seems to be the reason Arthur agreed to investigate Draco- it was the link to Borgin & Burkes rather than Draco himself that made them follow it up.

Harry never talks about not being able to find Draco because he is in the Room of Requirement. Nor do we hear Hermione's comment you quoted.
Thanks very much for your response. It seems that the courtyard scene is cut.

lyria
July 6th, 2009, 12:27 am
IenjoyAcidPops: Harry and Dumbledore are certainly not distant but there is no attempt to show them as close. I suppose the first scene between them sets the scene for their relationship in the film: Harry is in a cheap cafe and shares some cute/awkward moments with a really pretty muggle. They agree to meet up after her shift is over. She goes back to work and Dumbledore turns up outside: obviously Harry feels he has to go over and see him. Dumbledore berates him for being out of his house and being irresponsible- comments on it is probably a better description. Harry makes a non-commital response about how he likes to ride on trains. It's a slightly rebellious answer- as though he has not forgiven him for last year but that it's all water under the bridge: after Sirius it would seem pointless to get worked up about anything else which happened last year. Dumbledore talls Harry to take his arm. Harry doesn't want to. He looks across at the pretty girl who has now finished her shift and is looking around for him. Dumbledore reiterates his request- it's now more of an order. Harry obeys- what choice does he have? (he thinks) and at the touch they instantly apparate. I get the impression Harry would not want to be close with Dumbledore again but he's still loyal to him- he'll follow him wherever he goes. I don't think this change from the book impacts on the film in a bad way. It makes sense- especially with Dumbledore's requests to get Slughorn's memory without really explaining how or why (in keeping with Dumbledore's requests in the book)

decarus: I'm really sorry but I can't remember what Lupin and Harry were arguing about! I'm sure it was to do with Voldemort/Death Eaters. I don't think it was to do with Draco.

Moshi: I find it hard to be objective about the Snape/Cissy/Bella scene because I hate the casting of Narcissa (Bella too for that matter but that's another story) You really got the impression that Snape was making a big decision in agreeing to the Unbreakable Vow. You could tell he REALLY didn't want to have to do it. Excellent acting by Rickman at that moment. In that sense we get the inkling Snape is a double agent but that's only to us in the know who have read book 7. The same goes for Snape's argument with Dumbledore in which he tells him he doesn't want to do his job anymore (a nice rare emotional moment for Snape)

Infinity9999x: This is a toughie. It's been a while since I saw the other movies [don't judge me! I was planning an HP night to watch them all before this one was released and then I was offered this ticket 12 hours before the screening!) I really liked Gambon in Azkaban. I thought he got Dumbledore's randomness spot-on. For the record (so that you may understand my point of view better) I couldn't stand Richard Harris as Dumbledore. I didn't mind some of Dumbledore's shouting in GoF but i agree there was a bit too much of it. I suppose he was more like OotP. In his defense, he doesn't have that many lines where he gets to be funny (minus a couple at the beginning) when in Azkaban he has a lot of funny lines and not many serious ones. After that it's all expositional type lines. I wish he could have been more emotional when Hary was giving him the potion in the cave. This is a moment which made me cry buckets in the book (and I'm not very emotional myself) but I didn't get chance to be upset in the film (having said this, it's partly due to the way the whole cave section is done- the script/pace of editing whips through it way too quickly in my opinion) So yeah, in revision, Gambon is solid but not exceptional. He's great in the 'realising Harry is a horcrux' bit though as mentioned above.

SybillOnWheels
July 6th, 2009, 12:41 am
Her "Make the unbreakable vow" line comes across as too melodramatic and comical to me...:

Blasphemy! I got chills when I heard her say that! The way she positions herself throughout that scene is perfect, her body language is perfect, her voice is spot on....

I am in love with her as Bellatrix.

decarus
July 6th, 2009, 12:41 am
decarus: I'm really sorry but I can't remember what Lupin and Harry were arguing about! I'm sure it was to do with Voldemort/Death Eaters. I don't think it was to do with Draco.
That's okay. Thanks very much for what you remember. That is interesting that it was more about Voldemort then Draco.

Sacred_Memories
July 6th, 2009, 12:44 am
Hi, lyria, I have a couple of questions for you.

1) I know you do not like Helen as Narcissa, but do you think she was able to convey her emotions well just like the Narcissa in the book?

2) Does Snape say this to Harry after he'd called him a coward, "You may have your mother's eyes, but you are as dim as your father"?

3) What did you think of the ending of the movie?

lyria
July 6th, 2009, 12:44 am
Infinity9999x: This is a toughie. It's been a while since I saw the other movies [don't judge me! I was planning an HP night to watch them all before this one was released and then I was offered this ticket 12 hours before the screening!) I really liked Gambon in Azkaban. I thought he got Dumbledore's randomness spot-on. For the record (so that you may understand my point of view better) I couldn't stand Richard Harris as Dumbledore. I didn't mind some of Dumbledore's shouting in GoF but i agree there was a bit too much of it. Having said that he was given a lot of confrontational lines... I suppose he was more like OotP. In his defense, he doesn't have that many lines where he gets to be funny (minus a couple at the beginning) when in Azkaban he has a lot of funny lines and not many serious ones. After the start of the movie he's largely giving instructions- the sort of acting you don't really register as a viewer. In the cave scene I really wish he could have been more emotional when Harry was giving him the potion in the cave. This is a moment which made me cry buckets in the book (and I'm not very emotional myself) but I didn't get chance to be upset in the film (having said this, it's partly due to the way the whole cave section is done- the script/pace of editing whips through it way too quickly in my opinion)

So yeah, in revision, Gambon is solid: he's consistent but he's not exceptional. He's great in the 'realising Harry is a horcrux' bit though as mentioned above.

Sacred_Memories
July 6th, 2009, 12:50 am
lyria, thanks so much for taking time out of your life to answer our questions (but you still need to answer mine or I'll Crucio you!). :lol::p

Lost_Elf
July 6th, 2009, 12:56 am

I totally agree. She is pure madness and extremely evil in the fifth film.:lol: She is just perfect! So is Snape. I can´t see why people complain on such great actors.
Snape I had no problem with in earlier movies. I love him. I was only commenting on those lines we heard in the videos in which he uses an intonation that is becoming monotonous.
As for Bellatrix, she is still evil in the movies but in the books it was a different kind of evil. You said "She is pure madness". And that's the problem because book-Bellatrix isn't. At least not all the time. For example in Spinners' end she wasn't crazy but rather calmly suspicious and stubborn. In OOTP, when Voldemort appeared at the MoM she wasn't crazy either; she was just in awe of her master. At times she does get crazy but you feel she's having fun and is in control of her craziness whereas in the movies it just feels like constant uncontrolled 'The Joker-like' madness, which I'm not a fan of.

lyria
July 6th, 2009, 1:05 am
Sacred_Memories

1: Helen was playing Narcissa as very restrained but on the verge of tears- her eyes are very bright the whole way through that scene and I remember thinking that that must be a difficult look to achieve for a prolonged space of time. She obviously made her choice as an actor to play it that way rather than over-emotional. She may well be cabable of being hugely emotional but she didn't play Narcissa that way.

2: Snape does not say that line. He says something nasty (I've forgotten what but I'm sure I would have remembered that particular phrase.)

3: The ending of the movie was... odd. They seemed to need to tie up loose ends. It's basically Harry and Hermione standing talking on top of the astronomy Tower. It's a rather disjointed conversation about a number of things. There is a wonderful moment when Harry says he's not coming back and tells Hermione (it turns out Ron is sitting behind them listening but we don't see him for a minute or so of the conversation) he'll update the two of them with letters. Hermione tells him they'll be staying with him (duh!) and Dan's performance of Harry's reaction is so genuine- he really thought he would be on his own. It's like he's finally realised how wonderful his friends are and he's really grateful. Hermione then gives a terribly out-of-place line about Ron not being upset that Harry and Ginny have had something between them (the line is solely there to update the audience that Ron knows about Harry and Ginny's feelings for one another since Harry and Ginny don't date in the movie) It ends with the camera sweeping around the surrounding countryside and I felt genuinely sad that we wouldn't be going back to Hogwarts again- from now on, everything would change.

Again, I feel like all my comments are coming out as negative! I can't reiterate enough how much this is the best movie BY FAR!

I totally agree with Lost_Elf re Bella. I don't like her for that reason either. (I'm sorry I can't figure out how the quotes function work.)

Sacred_Memories
July 6th, 2009, 1:14 am
Anyone who does not like Bellatrix should have their soul sucked in Azkaban. :lol:

lyria, so was the ending powerful? And didn't they include Fawkes at the end?

Thranduil1990
July 6th, 2009, 1:15 am
i'm really upset because i have heard that dumbledore's death is obscured (in a camara way) when AK hits him. could you explain in which way? is it enough clear to see it?

does dumbledore say something when he is drinking the poison, like in the book?
how is the line: i'm not worried Harry, i'm with you. where is it said?

lyria
July 6th, 2009, 1:29 am
Sacred_Memories: If I have my soul sucked out I won't be able to answer any more questions! ;) The ending was powerful- it really felt like the end of an era. And they do use Fawkes at the end: they follow him flying around the castle and the surrounding area and that's how it ends.

Thranduil1990: From what I remember (and I could be wrong because it obviously happens quite quickly) you don't see any flash/energy come from Snape's wand and physically hit Dumbledore. It's true that the camera angle could be responsible for this: After Dumbledore begs Snape, the camera is one Snape's face and there is a long moment. Snape then says Avada Kedavra (camera still on him) It then goes to Harry's perspective which is powerful because Dumbledore is looking at Harry when he dies: Harry is able to move if he wants but Dumbledore has insisted so many times in the scene before that Harry MUSTN'T DO ANYTHING that Hary obeys him. The whole time Dumbledore is talking to Draco he keeps looking at Harry to make sure he doesn't do anything stupid. Harry is on the floor below: the top few floors of the astronomy tower are all open to the elements and have planking/wide gridspaces making up the landings so you can see through them. So yeah, I think you're right, you don't see the 'hit' so to speak but it is done very well- it's all in slow mo with beautiful music and you see the shock on Harry and Draco's faces. We see Dumbledore falling all the way down the outside of the tower. You needn't be worried- it's good.

Dumbledore says a lot of stuff when drinking the poison but we don't hear much of it very distinctly. That section is shown in a kind of montage.

I don't think he says that line to Harry- I think I'd remember it. I can't be certain though.

ally_xx
July 6th, 2009, 1:33 am
Just over 1 week away people :)

Sacred_Memories
July 6th, 2009, 1:39 am
I'm shocked no one has asked this question, so I'll ask it!

How was the wandlit vigil that is done for Dumbledore?

Thranduil1990
July 6th, 2009, 1:41 am
Sacred_Memories: If I have my soul sucked out I won't be able to answer any more questions! ;) The ending was powerful- it really felt like the end of an era. And they do use Fawkes at the end: they follow him flying around the castle and the surrounding area and that's how it ends.

Thranduil1990: From what I remember (and I could be wrong because it obviously happens quite quickly) you don't see any flash/energy come from Snape's wand and physically hit Dumbledore. It's true that the camera angle could be responsible for this: After Dumbledore begs Snape, the camera is one Snape's face and there is a long moment. Snape then says Avada Kedavra (camera still on him) It then goes to Harry's perspective which is powerful because Dumbledore is looking at Harry when he dies: Harry is able to move if he wants but Dumbledore has insisted so many times in the scene before that Harry MUSTN'T DO ANYTHING that Hary obeys him. The whole time Dumbledore is talking to Draco he keeps looking at Harry to make sure he doesn't do anything stupid. Harry is on the floor below: the top few floors of the astronomy tower are all open to the elements and have planking/wide gridspaces making up the landings so you can see through them. So yeah, I think you're right, you don't see the 'hit' so to speak but it is done very well- it's all in slow mo with beautiful music and you see the shock on Harry and Draco's faces. We see Dumbledore falling all the way down the outside of the tower. You needn't be worried- it's good.

Dumbledore says a lot of stuff when drinking the poison but we don't hear much of it very distinctly. That section is shown in a kind of montage.

I don't think he says that line to Harry- I think I'd remember it. I can't be certain though.

Thank you, the line it's supposed to be right after the cave scene and before they appeared to the astronomy tower, i love that line. how they link the cave scene and the astronomy tower scene? they are in the boat and then they are in the tower??

lyria
July 6th, 2009, 1:44 am
Sacred_Memories: There are so many questions I'm surprised people haven't asked!

As the first few people began the wandlit vigil for about half a secong I knew the thought "Oh no! Please don't make this a cigarette lighter moment!" But after that moment, the music took over and I was completely won over- it was really really beautiful and really sad and the best part that was as all the wands went up one by one the Dark Mark started to disintegrate from within- like brightly coloured veins of light breaking it into pieces.

Thranduil 1990: I love that line too- I'd forgotten all about it until you mentioned it. I am having a serious memory blank about this moment though... I can't even remember how they got out of the cave! I think maybe they must have apparated out- I think that as soon as Harry joins Dumbledore back on the rock (Harry gets pulled deep underwater by the Inferi- there is an amazing shot of how deep the pool goes with silhouettes of the rocks underneath until you realise that the huge black mass of rocks is thousands of dead bodies, THEN the light changes and you realise that there is a massive fire above the water) and touches him, they just zap straight back to the Tower. Oh hang on, no... Dumbledore definitely makes a channel across the water through the flames so maybe they are on the other side before they apparate. God I can't remember- it all happened so fast! Every time someone apparated it was a shock. You'll see what I mean when you see it.

darkevangelist
July 6th, 2009, 1:48 am
I have one question, how was dans emotional reaction to DD's death. Did he cy or anything along thoe lines. I need reasurance that dan didn't flub the moment completely.

Lost_Elf
July 6th, 2009, 1:57 am
The Variety gave Alan Rickman a rave review. The Hollywood Reporter was weird.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/film-reviews/harry-potter-and-the-half-blood-prince-film-1003990567.story

Do you think it was weird because it was kind of negative? I don't know. I think he said some pretty concrete and insightful, although unfortunately negative things that I have felt about the previous films.

He says of the first few scenes in HBP: "All this has a hurried feeling. Shouldn't there be repercussions to the collapse of a London bridge? The movie never stops to ask." Then "There seldom is a quiet moment of reflection here. Those that do occur are devoted to unfulfilled romantic yearnings more than the contemplation of an oppressive destiny."
I think this highlights the biggest problem of movies 4 and 5. They were both supposed to have a feeling of impending doom; but the difference is that in the movies they simply showed the events that are supposed to bring this tension (the Dark Mark at the QWC, Voldemort reborn, Dementors appear in Little Whinging, etc..) and no more. Cut. Next scene. But these things in themselves do not create enough of the intended effect. In the books this feeling of tension and doom is developped not only by seeing things happen but by seeing the reactions to these things and understanding their implications: For example, Voldemort's return in GoF triggered a series of scenes in the book to this effect: gathering the 'old crowd', Fudge's disbelief, the parting of the ways, Dumbledore adressing the students about the dark times that will face them and how important it will be to stand united...etc, etc. These things bring an awareness to the state of things and heightens their significance, which is something Kloves doesn't seem to get. For one thing, it feels like any Dumbledore line that exposes his thoughts and insight to what happens is deemed as filler and can be cut. The only important things to keep from him is new information.

OotP was actually better than GoF in creating tension and adding weight to plot developments like for example Harry and Voldemort’s connection which was given an emotional dimension, but many dots were still badly connected which again resulted in no real closure on most subplots. Case in point: the prophecy subplot. It's a simple example where Goldenberg did a good job setting up the fact that Voldemort is after something.. and at the end Harry realizes it's the prophecy. At the DoM, he hears it (only 2 line kept). After this, Lucius suggests there's much more: that it holds the answers to his connection with Voldemort, the reason Voldemort tried to kill him, etc.. Really perfect setup. Then what? Nothing. Battle at the DoM and nothing more is said on that. As though Goldenberg was listing (through Lucius) all the things that he won't explain. As though he tells us "Read the book to understand the significance of all these deep matters and connections that I couldn't manage in my script". For a non-reader, the questions remain unanswered: is there more to the prophecy? Was Lucius simply making it up? How was this a ‘weapon’ and why did Voldemort want it so badly?
Also, the Ministry plot was not as weighty as it should have been. The Ministry’s actions are justified only by Lupin’s line at the beginning which is not nearly enough, but I’m not going to talk about that as I’ve ranted enough already.

Back to the point. I don’t think all this is a result of the running time limit imposed on the movies. I think it’s more about a choice of focus. What type of dialogue you want to keep in and what you want out. I do think from what we are hearing and seeing so far that HBP will be another improvement but it will still feature these same shortcomings that are a trademark of this series of films (in my humble opinion). It would have been nice to see a constant shift of screenwriters along with the directors to be able to compare and find out if someone is able to do things differently. As for HBP, the fact that 2 reviews so far are citing problems with jerky first hour but more rounded storytelling after that is good news. The most important part of a movie to get right is the second act. I'll have to wait for July 15th and judge for myself. But I still have hopes.
Anyway, so sorry for the long post. This review brought back to me quite a few irritations that I had.

lyria
July 6th, 2009, 2:03 am
darkevangelist: The moment of Dumbledore's death, everyone the camera focusses on is in shock (ie Harry, Draco and Snape) Immediately afterward, Snape starts dragging Draco down the stairs and the other Death Eaters are with them (the Carrows and Rowle) There is no time to react to Dumbledore's death: Harry has to hide and then chase them. There is the big chase after Snape then and Harry is very angry through all of this: he gets the "Fight back you coward" line etc. Eventually, Snape knocks him out completely. When Harry returns to the Tower, everyone is outside keeping a respectable distance. Harry goes in, sits next to him and takes his hand then leans over his chest crying over his body. We never actually see or hear his crying (at this point only the score can be heard: v powerful and sad) Ginny joins him and hugs him as they rock over the body together. We definitely get a close-up of Hermione shedding a tear. The whole scene works very well.

Lost_Elf, I agree with a lot of what you have said. Personally I think Steve Cloves is an utterly dreadful screenplay writer or at least adaptor. He does not seem to understand the most basic rule of adaptation: Show don't tell. For every adaptation so far it's like he has pulled all the scenes he feels are necessary and rejigged them a bit creating a badly fitting jigsaw puzzle with holes in. Finally in this film he seemed to have realised that he can completely change scenes as long as he keeps the story and emotions and characters on the same track. It's not perfect in HBP but where I had problems with the majority of scenes/scene construction in the previous films, my problems with this one were down to about 10/15%. It's a huge improvement.

Another point this has made me think about: I have heard a lot of people saying that this movie is too 'loved up'. I completely disagree. Though I dislike the change to Ginny and Harry's story everything else works very well. It's necessary to keep all those lovey-dovey bits in so that we can see how they affect Harry, Ron and Hermione differently. By seeing this we get a lot of massive insight into the trio's relationship and how they genuinely feel about one another. For example, none of them really care about Romilda so she's kept in for the briefest moment to ensure the chocolates/love potion/poisoning scene make sense. But McClaggen is kept in because we need his character so that we see how low Ron's self-esteem can go and so we therefore see how this makes him lash out sometimes. We also need Lavender so we understand how Hermione feels about Ron- and also for Hermione to realise that she cares about Ron. Before this I don't think Hermione is entirely aware how much she cares about Ron: until he is taken away from her by Lavender. Quite a nice little change they've made to the book in this respect is that Harry and Hermione bond over feeling miserable about the people they love: Ron and Ginny. So Harry knows for certain that Hermione loves Ron. This a. Really cements their relationship as friends who can talk about anything (unlike Ron and Harry who instead have a strange conversation about girls' skin- v funny) and b. gives Ron the chance to see them being intimate (which they can only be because they are so comfortable with the the fact that they both love other people): cue massive foreshadowing of Ron believing there are things going on between them. All the lovey dovey stuff is great because besides being hilarious it's the first time that we really understand the chemistry between the lead characters.

darkevangelist
July 6th, 2009, 2:09 am
Thank you! that sounds like its going to be heartbreaking. I can't wait only 9 days!

Moshi
July 6th, 2009, 2:33 am
I think it was the way it was written. I couldn't get a feel if he liked it or not. Like when he listed Dan's name after his first mention of Harry he says Dan is unsettled. Is it Dan unsettled or Harry and unsettled how? I must have missed something;

lyria
July 6th, 2009, 2:40 am
Yeah I thought that was confusing too. I agree entirely with his description of the adaptation of each book. "afraid to leave out a semi-colon" lol! So true! Also I WANT to say PoA is the best film of the first five (stylistically/directorially/performance-wise) but I just can't because IT MAKES NO SENSE! You're totally buggered if you haven't read the book.

Lost_Elf
July 6th, 2009, 2:47 am
Yeah I thought that was confusing too. I agree entirely with his description of the adaptation of each book. "afraid to leave out a semi-colon" lol! So true! Also I WANT to say PoA is the best film of the first five (stylistically/directorially/performance-wise) but I just can't because IT MAKES NO SENSE! You're totally buggered if you haven't read the book.

My turn to agree with you. I feel the same way, and again it's Kloves' fault, even though Cuaron who brought his text to the screen did a great job out of it.

By the way, you can use quotes from other people by clicking on "Quote" at the bottom right of the person's post.

DML1991
July 6th, 2009, 2:58 am
Hollywood Reporter's review wasn't negative, or mixed. They gave it an A.

Sacred_Memories
July 6th, 2009, 3:01 am
Where does it say that it got an A?

decarus
July 6th, 2009, 3:10 am
I am not sure if the tower scene makes sense without Harry frozen. Why would Harry hide and then chase Snape? I am sure it will be fine in context, and i do understand why they did that.
I am going to be watching this part with the caption on once i get my dvd.
Yeah I thought that was confusing too. I agree entirely with his description of the adaptation of each book. "afraid to leave out a semi-colon" lol! So true! Also I WANT to say PoA is the best film of the first five (stylistically/directorially/performance-wise) but I just can't IT MAKES NO SENSE! You're totally buggered if you haven't read the book.

What about PoA doesn't make sense? It is the best film because it makes sense and because they made time a circle and not something you could go back and change which was so much better then the book.

PS. Are people ever going to stop shooting of fireworks?

DML1991
July 6th, 2009, 3:21 am
Where does it say that it got an A?http://www.traileraddict.com/tags/harry-potter-and-half-blood-prince/reviews

decarus
July 6th, 2009, 3:39 am
It is hard to ask questions when you already know what is going to happen. What was your favorite scene? What happened in that scene? Why is it your favorite scene?

What was slughorn's christmas party like? Did anything interesting happen there?

I am so ready to see this film.

boushh
July 6th, 2009, 4:22 am
lyria, thanks for your review and your vivid descriptions of the scenes. :)

So that's at least two reports of the new line of Snape's not being in the final version of the film. I'll have to get myself unused to it now! :lol:

Great to see that Variety and Hollywood Reporter both gave the film an A. :)

Kanksha
July 6th, 2009, 4:25 am
Wow Lyria, thank you for giving us your reviews and answering so many questions.

I'm disappointed to hear that the Harry/Ginny arc doesn't play across so nicely. Despite all our forebodings I was still reserving judgement on it till we've seen the movie but it seems like the effect isn't good at all. Maybe it'll be better for us because we know what it's going to be like and we won't go in expecting the glorious common room kiss and the happiest days of Harry's life?

Lyria - did you know beforehand that they had changed the Harry/Ginny storyline or did it come as a shock to you?

Another aspect I'm worried about - the Harry and Dumbledore relationship.

Harry and Dumbledore are certainly not distant but there is no attempt to show them as close. I suppose the first scene between them sets the scene for their relationship in the film: Harry is in a cheap cafe and shares some cute/awkward moments with a really pretty muggle. They agree to meet up after her shift is over. She goes back to work and Dumbledore turns up outside: obviously Harry feels he has to go over and see him. Dumbledore berates him for being out of his house and being irresponsible- comments on it is probably a better description. Harry makes a non-commital response about how he likes to ride on trains. It's a slightly rebellious answer- as though he has not forgiven him for last year but that it's all water under the bridge: after Sirius it would seem pointless to get worked up about anything else which happened last year. Dumbledore talls Harry to take his arm. Harry doesn't want to. He looks across at the pretty girl who has now finished her shift and is looking around for him. Dumbledore reiterates his request- it's now more of an order. Harry obeys- what choice does he have? (he thinks) and at the touch they instantly apparate. I get the impression Harry would not want to be close with Dumbledore again but he's still loyal to him- he'll follow him wherever he goes. I don't think this change from the book impacts on the film in a bad way. It makes sense- especially with Dumbledore's requests to get Slughorn's memory without really explaining how or why (in keeping with Dumbledore's requests in the book)

:no: I don't like this at all. In the book when Harry got Dumbledore's letter he was eagerly looking forward to being taken away. He did not pack because he was afraid of being let down but he read the letter over and over again, so many times that the tightly furled letter became completely flat. Harry wants to go with him, and I don't like it at all that he's actually considering going out with a girl over going with Dumbledore. He has forgiven Dumbledore completely and is not holding any grudges. They have to show that Dumbledore and Harry had become very close in order for The Life and Lies of Albus Dumbledore to come as such an earth-shattering shock in DH.

I didn't feel in the book that at any point Dumbledore has to order Harry to do anything. :(

That being said, I'm quite pleased at the other things. :p

Particularly the Horcrux foreshadowing, Ron's insecurities, the tower scene, everybody's acting reviews. The works! :)

cgold
July 6th, 2009, 4:59 am
Hi Lyria, I'm a little disappointed to read that you thought Michael Gambon's Dumbledore was pretty much the same as the other movies. Were you always a big fan of his portrayal of Dumbledore? Sorry if you responded to this already but I didn't see it.

Cheers.

harry5678
July 6th, 2009, 5:09 am
:no: I don't like this at all. In the book when Harry got Dumbledore's letter he was eagerly looking forward to being taken away. He did not pack because he was afraid of being let down but he read the letter over and over again, so many times that the tightly furled letter became completely flat. Harry wants to go with him, and I don't like it at all that he's actually considering going out with a girl over going with Dumbledore. He has forgiven Dumbledore completely and is not holding any grudges. They have to show that Dumbledore and Harry had become very close in order for The Life and Lies of Albus Dumbledore to come as such an earth-shattering shock in DH.

Well, i actually dont find this as bad. In the book universe yes, at this point Harry has forgiven Dumbledore, in the film erse however, i don't quite think he's there yet. In the book of Order of the Phoneix, Harry let out all his anger towards Dumbledore, and Dumbledore finally told him of the prophecy, and was completely honest, In the film however, Harry doesn't express his anger at all. It was quite tame, and IMO changing that changed the way Harry felt when Dumbledore returned to come and get him. Most likely however, by the time Harry gets to Hogwarts and Dumbledore starts to show him the memories and tell him what he's going to have to do in order to defeat Voldemort. He tells him about the Horcruxes, he finally tells him almost everything, so I think by that point Harry will have already forgiven him.

Wow, I just really can not get over how good this film looks! I wonder if it'll break any records? But anyway, I think finally WB have gotten it right for me. The first 2 films seemed just too clean, and Hogwarts didn't feel like a place you couldn't just go to England and walk into. The 3rd film for me, got closer with the feel of not being able to just walk in there, and being unique and everything, but i think it just made the world feel a little too....weird maybe? Goblet of Fire however, is my favorite film, it just got that right feel for me, it may not have been as book accurate (story wise) of PoA, but it just made everything feel the way I feel when I read the books. Ootp, gosh I don't even need to explain what was wrong with that. However, for Hbp, it's that perfect combo of the right feel and book /story accuracy. It just looks so good, the cinematography, the color (yes, the color Lol). The acting, story, look and feel of the sets and characters. I really think WB nailed it, and I hope they can do the same if not even better with Deathly Hallows

Infinity9999x
July 6th, 2009, 5:14 am
Hi Lyria, I'm a little disappointed to read that you thought Michael Gambon's Dumbledore was pretty much the same as the other movies. Were you always a big fan of his portrayal of Dumbledore? Sorry if you responded to this already but I didn't see it.

Cheers.

I asked the same thing.
I was just wondering if you could expand upon this, because Gambon's portrayal of Dumbledore (to me at least) has been very inconsistent in his movies. I thought he was fine in POA, then utterly dreadful in GOF (far too much shouting and DD loosing his temper), and average in GOF (not bad, but poor deliveries on some lines "Don't you have studying to do?" comes to mind).

So I was wondering which performance you think he's closer to giving? More POA or more GOF?

This was her response

Infinity9999x: This is a toughie. It's been a while since I saw the other movies [don't judge me! I was planning an HP night to watch them all before this one was released and then I was offered this ticket 12 hours before the screening!) I really liked Gambon in Azkaban. I thought he got Dumbledore's randomness spot-on. For the record (so that you may understand my point of view better) I couldn't stand Richard Harris as Dumbledore. I didn't mind some of Dumbledore's shouting in GoF but i agree there was a bit too much of it. I suppose he was more like OotP. In his defense, he doesn't have that many lines where he gets to be funny (minus a couple at the beginning) when in Azkaban he has a lot of funny lines and not many serious ones. After that it's all expositional type lines. I wish he could have been more emotional when Hary was giving him the potion in the cave. This is a moment which made me cry buckets in the book (and I'm not very emotional myself) but I didn't get chance to be upset in the film (having said this, it's partly due to the way the whole cave section is done- the script/pace of editing whips through it way too quickly in my opinion) So yeah, in revision, Gambon is solid but not exceptional. He's great in the 'realising Harry is a horcrux' bit though as mentioned above.

Also, thanks for the reply Lyria!

Kanksha
July 6th, 2009, 6:04 am
Well, i actually dont find this as bad. In the book universe yes, at this point Harry has forgiven Dumbledore, in the film erse however, i don't quite think he's there yet. In the book of Order of the Phoneix, Harry let out all his anger towards Dumbledore, and Dumbledore finally told him of the prophecy, and was completely honest, In the film however, Harry doesn't express his anger at all. It was quite tame, and IMO changing that changed the way Harry felt when Dumbledore returned to come and get him. Most likely however, by the time Harry gets to Hogwarts and Dumbledore starts to show him the memories and tell him what he's going to have to do in order to defeat Voldemort. He tells him about the Horcruxes, he finally tells him almost everything, so I think by that point Harry will have already forgiven him.

But if at the end when he finally finds about the Horcruxes and what he has to do, if that's the point when he is finally ready to forgive Dumbledore, and in the next scene Dumbledore dies, then they are not able to show the mentor/disciple relationship, and more importantly, the friendship that was there between them. The line that we've all been looking forward to - I am not worried Harry, I am with you - it doesn't have that weight, that importance anymore.

As for the implications of this for Harry's mood and state of mind in DH1 and DH2, I'm not even going to go into that right now, but I think they are plentiful. :no:

harry5678
July 6th, 2009, 6:26 am
But if at the end when he finally finds about the Horcruxes and what he has to do, if that's the point when he is finally ready to forgive Dumbledore, and in the next scene Dumbledore dies, then they are not able to show the mentor/disciple relationship, and more importantly, the friendship that was there between them. The line that we've all been looking forward to - I am not worried Harry, I am with you - it doesn't have that weight, that importance anymore.

As for the implications of this for Harry's mood and state of mind in DH1 and DH2, I'm not even going to go into that right now, but I think they are plentiful. :no:

Oh, I didn't mean at the end, i meant when Dumbledore first starts showing Harry the memories he probably would've already forgiven him, but i don't really know. Sometimes i guess they don't realize the changes they make in the previous movie may actually change too much in the next one.

ArryGrotter
July 6th, 2009, 6:31 am
This film is so close - I should be excited, but instead I am feeling empty :lol:

it's going to feel so weird next week after so much waiting....

meesha1971
July 6th, 2009, 6:54 am
Thanks for answering our questions, lyria. :)

It's disappointing to hear that my concerns about how they handled Harry/Ginny were justified - I was really hoping I was wrong about how bad all that looked. But at least I'm going in prepared. :sigh:

Did they keep the part where Ron said "I love you, Hermione"? That was one of my favorite moments in the book. :love: I know they kept Ron calling Hermione's name in the hospital wing - one of my other favorite moments - but I haven't heard anything about him saying "I love you, Hermione".

SwedishSkinJer
July 6th, 2009, 9:01 am
Question, Lyria:

How was the Aragog burial scene?

Is Sirius mentioned at all in this movie?

How long is the memory scene with the orphanage? From the extended clip online, it looked a bit choppy. Does it move smoothly in the film? Does Ms. Cole have more lines at all?

How was the scene with Katie Bell? Scary? Well-done?

Also, how many scenes does Luna have?

Do they explain the growing relationship between Tonks/Lupin at all?

ThaiHPFan
July 6th, 2009, 12:28 pm
Is Sirius mentioned at all in this movie?

I can help answer this.:p Sirius is mentioned by Slughorn (along with Regulus), either Ron or Hermione (asking Harry about how he has been feeling), and Bellatrix (when she attacks the Burrow).

Lyria, I'm a bit confused about your comment regarding Dumbledore's death. You said that we don't actually see the curse hit him. But we did see the green light coming out of Snape's wand, right? (the shot of Snape casting the spell is in the trailer).

Also, how was Frank Dillance's (teenage Riddle) acting skill? Yates seems to be very proud of him and I have heard a few positive comments so I am quite interested.

EDIT: Another positive review from Variety; not sure if this has been posted yet.

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117940610.html?categoryid=31&cs=1

Moshi
July 6th, 2009, 1:25 pm
http://www.screendaily.com/harry-potter-and-the-half-blood-prince/5003198.article

A good review. They really liked Bellatrix.

Noldus
July 6th, 2009, 1:43 pm
Noldus: It is not explained how Draco knew Dumbledore was at the top of the Astronomy Tower but everything is moving so quickly at this point that it does not feel like a plot hole. Harry and Dumbledore apparate from the Astronomy Tower to the cave (they explain this by saying Dumbledore is the only person who can apparate/disapparate within Hogwarts) It would not be unbelieveable to assume that they would apparate back to the same spot.

I can't quite remember if they said it's because of Lucius' failure that Draco is given this role. I don't think they do. It's made very apparent that Lucius is in Azkaban, that his parents are on Voldemort's side and that he's been forced into this mission. It makes narrative sense that with his family ties, Voldemort would decide to use Draco to commit this task.

The colouring in the film is as usual- actually it's more colourful than previous films (which works for the better. I always felt it was a bit contrived that no-one in hogwarts wears home clothes with any bright colours in- they looked so costumey in POA) The exception is at the end in the cave scene where it is practically black and white with the brightness/contrast ratio turned up to the max.

I really could be wrong with 'In Noctem' but I think it is used as Dumbledore dies/ falls from the Astronomy Tower. There is certainly some really beautiful choral music playing when this happens and also afterwards when everyone is gathered around the body.

Thanks for answering!:) Perhaps there is no need to mention why Voldemort gave Draco this mission. But actually, in the book Voldemort doubted Draco would succeed. I can see why they changed this though. The film audience who have never opened a HP-book need a film which works on it´own. Some people won´t remember the prophecy at all this time. They must be wondering in DH why Voldemort wants to kill Harry:lol: I´m fine if they make it clear that Draco will be killed if he fails and people find him uncapable to do it.

I am just shooting in the dark here; perhaps Snape told Draco where Dumbledore was? If so they can show this in Snape´s memories in DH 2. And they better explain more about the prophecy too.

Two other questions:

Why did Slughorn believe that the mead which poisoned Ron was meant for Dumbledore?

How was the balance between the darker moments and the romantic stuff?

darkevangelist
July 6th, 2009, 3:04 pm
a not so stellar review fom screen daily

http://www.screendaily.com/harry-potter-and-the-half-blood-prince/5003198.article

AccioHP
July 6th, 2009, 4:01 pm
Oh my gosh! I just caught up on sooo many pages :lol:

Welcome back MoD!

Thanks Lyria for answering questions!

The HBO preview was AWESOME!!!
I can't believe it's 9 days away!!!!!!!!!!! :)

ThaiHPFan
July 6th, 2009, 4:20 pm
Just want to post this link again since many new reactions are added to the thread.

It's great to see so many positive reactions for the film. :D

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0417741/board/flat/141930708

can't review Potter quite yet, but can say it's darker than the last one. In related news, sun rises in East - H

Went to the cast and crew screening of harry potter yesterday best pitter film by far, really good deffinetly worth seeing!

is looking forward to Harry Potter tomorrow.

@TomFelton Saw crew screening this morning of Harry Potter. It was awesome, I actually felt something other than hate for Malfoy.Great job x

Loved the New Harry Potter film yesterday

Went the Harry Potter 6 screening this morning. The movie was a bit darker but still with quite a bit of humour. I had a very good time...

Just back from AMAZING Harry Potter 6 screening! Best one so far, no doubt. Acting, visuals, action, comedy: all so, so good! Hooray!

just been to see Harry Potter screening, introduced by the director...I loved it!

New harry potter film quite impressive- beautifully shot, surprising well acted. Quite long though. Definitely the best of the series

Heading off to the early morning Potter crew screening. So tired. Probably will fall asleep during the 2hr43 length of the film.

Harry Potter 6 very enjoyable and didn't feel long at all. One of the best of the series mainly just due to the doom and gloom.

Have just seen the new Harry Potter movie and I have to say it is superb. Best one yet. Very dark and a little more grown up.

I'm probably not allowed to say this but the new Harry Potter film is excellent - this coming from a Potter non-believer.