The All-Inclusive HBP Movie Thread v. 17 - incl. movie spoilers

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14

Noldus
July 7th, 2009, 10:43 pm
So you don't see the spell hit him? Too bad:no:
Sorry for asking. I know I just can watch the clip but I don't want to. However, I am curious and a bit worried about this part now...If I was the director I would not obey WB's requirements of making it family-friendly.:lol:

When it comes to the Imax version I am pretty surprised they chose the opening in 3D. There is not much action there. Why not choose 12 minutes from the cave scene to the astronony tower. Dumbledore falling down in 3D? Epic:D Though, I must admit it doesn't matter because I'm not gonna see it in Imax anyway...

Sesquipedalian
July 7th, 2009, 10:44 pm
Even based on lcbaseball22's comments regarding the "Sectumsempra" scene, I doubt that it will disappoint me, and neither will Dumbledore's death; I am not one to be fazed by the fact that the filmmakers do not really show Draco being hit by the spell, or that Dumbledore being hit by the "Avada kedavra" spell is obscured by one of the floorboards under which Harry is watching. I am sure that the scenes will still be excellent and emotional.

(Please notice that these are my own opinions, and are, in no way, a representation of anyone else's; if you think otherwise, I respect your opinons.)

EDIT: Actually, upon reading people's comments on the Internet Movie Database, Draco is hit by the spell and collapses out-of-frame, which, in my mind's interpretation (as I have not viewed the actual clip), is quite effective.

DML1991
July 7th, 2009, 10:46 pm
But you know this is partly due to the PG rating. :grumble: Was initially expecting it to be like the book, Harry looking right at Malfoy as he sees the cuts being made across his chest and the blood spurting out...or at least a slightly toned down adaptation of this. This just looks like a cop out to me, but I'll have to see how they handle the after effects to give my overall impression. We already know his shirt isn't open...No, we don't know this is due to the PG rating. :p They didn't aim for this intentionally, and judging by that clip, they didn't care about the rating or anything when filming that scene. They filmed it as they saw fit, as an intense battle that Harry was tired of chasing him down and shot the spell out at him to avoid getting sneaked up on again.

decarus
July 7th, 2009, 10:54 pm
Even based on lcbaseball22's comments regarding the "Sectumsempra" scene, I doubt that it will disappoint me, and neither will Dumbledore's death; I am not one to be fazed by the fact that the filmmakers do not really show Draco being hit by the spell, or that Dumbledore being hit by the "Avada kedavra" spell is obscured by one of the floorboards under which Harry is watching. I am sure that the scenes will still be excellent and emotional.
Actually you sort of see Draco hit by the spell and then he falls quickly behind the row of toilets and sort of groans and falls out of the shot. This is the end of the clip. I could just imagine Harry coming towards him slowly and then seeing him on the ground covered in blood with slashes. I don't mind that they don't show this great moment because it is everyone's reaction to the moment i want to see.

It is never going to be a bloody as some people want, but i think it looks great.

jp5
July 7th, 2009, 10:54 pm
It's everywhere on the IMAX website www.imax.com
It states the movie opening will be in 3d and will feature aprox 12 mins...
Didnt WB announced a while ago that the movie opening AND the finale were going to be in 3D featuring even more 3D footage than OotP?
I was so excited cuz i just got IMAX tickets for July 18th ( 16th and 17th are sold out) ... and i was REALLY looking forward to the cave in 3D and was also hoping to see the flight of the prnce and even quidditch in 3D :(

Also.. I dont get why the imax version will be 12 mins longer and why some are saying this will be the 3D footage.. you think we are gonna see an extended scene for te death eaters atack?

lcbaseball22
July 7th, 2009, 10:55 pm
No, we don't know this is due to the PG rating. :p They didn't aim for this intentionally, and judging by that clip, they didn't care about the rating or anything when filming that scene. They filmed it as they saw fit, as an intense battle that Harry was tired of chasing him down and shot the spell out at him to avoid getting sneaked up on again.

It's quite obvious to me this is due (at least partly) to the PG rating....they clearly never intended to film it as the book describes. :relax:

Sure, they could give an excuse as you did but that's just a cop out really, like omitting Lily from SWM, cutting Dobby, etc (always excuses)

Bscorp
July 7th, 2009, 10:56 pm
How they filmed the Sectumsempra scene changes the content a bit. I can understand the choices they made here. This way Harry is clearly in a more deadly appearing duel. It's more "action packed" and more like a shoot out. This way it seems more like a battle, and Malfoy gets a few spells out against Harry before Harry strikes back.

In the book, Harry pulled this spell out immediately against Malfoy's attempted crucio- without thinking. It was done in a slip second and had a very rash feel to it. It was over quick and to me that emphasized how deadly the spell can be. I can't decide if the movie makes Harry look better or worse for using it. :/

lcbaseball22
July 7th, 2009, 10:56 pm
It's everywhere on the IMAX website www.imax.com
It states the movie opening will be in 3d and will feature aprox 12 mins...
Didnt WB announced a while ago that the movie opening AND the finale were going to be in 3D featuring even more 3D footage than OotP?
I was so excited cuz i just got IMAX tickets for July 18th ( 16th and 17th are sold out) ... and i was REALLY looking forward to the cave in 3D and was also hoping to see the flight of the prnce and even quidditch in 3D :(

Hmm, yep original reports said there would be approx. 25 minute of 3D :hmm:

That's quite dissapointing, but I wasn't sure if I'd see it in IMAX anyways...

Noldus
July 7th, 2009, 10:57 pm
No, we don't know this is due to the PG rating. :p They didn't aim for this intentionally, and judging by that clip, they didn't care about the rating or anything when filming that scene. They filmed it as they saw fit, as an intense battle that Harry was tired of chasing him down and shot the spell out at him to avoid getting sneaked up on again.

I agree. First you need perhaps five-ten takes of a scene. Afterwards when you're editing you have all those choices and can see which camera angles that fit into the scene. But I do believe WB pushed David Yates to calm down these scenes a bit.

jammi567
July 7th, 2009, 11:00 pm
IGN review: http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/100/1001519p1.html

They give it an 8/10

lcbaseball22
July 7th, 2009, 11:02 pm
Also.. I dont get why the imax version will be 12 mins longer and why some are saying this will be the 3D footage.. you think we are gonna see an extended scene for te death eaters atack?

Oh yeah, I just noticed that too...164 minutes?! :err: That's 11 minutes longer than the reported 153 minutes for the regular version :hmm:

You think that is just a typo perhaps? Cause they also had the IMAX version listed as PG-13 for the longest time :whistle:

boushh
July 7th, 2009, 11:05 pm
This part of the IGN review made me smile:

One film that does come to mind as Half-Blood nears its conclusion is The Empire Strikes Back, though if you're going to emulate a fantasy sequel, it may as well be the best. With its themes of destiny, loss, and mortality, there are marked similarities, while the downbeat conclusion that leaves our despondent heroes fearing for the future yet resolute in their determination to defeat the 'Dark Lord' directly recalls Lucas's masterpiece.

ESB is my favorite film so comparing it to that is a good sign in my book. :cool:

Noldus
July 7th, 2009, 11:06 pm
Oh yeah, I just noticed that too...164 minutes?! :err: That's 11 minutes longer than the reported 153 minutes for the regular version :hmm:

Perhaps the death eater attack is shown in slow motion:p? Or really dragged out; like we're gonna see them hurt people, lots of blood and close-ups of people falling down the bridge and die!:lol: That would change the rating!

jp5
July 7th, 2009, 11:11 pm
Unfortunately it seems that it is just going to be the opening. I was thinking and also, the marketing for the imax movie does not have the 3D logo all over it like OotP had... Still it's going to be some 3D, but i really hope that they have some kind of special surprises and extra 3D footage:S...

decarus
July 7th, 2009, 11:12 pm
I don't think they planned for the film to be PG. I really think that they have just changed what the ratings mean in the States. I really don't think OotP needed to be PG. I think in the recent past they have rated films too harshly and if HBP is along the same lines as OotP i am fine with a PG rating. It is only GoF with the return of Voldemort and with Cedric's death that was worthy of a PG-13 rating.

MasterOfDeath
July 7th, 2009, 11:17 pm

ESB is my favorite film so comparing it to that is a good sign in my book. :cool:

OMG! :wow: That is like the greatest things I've EVER heard about this movie!! It was like a pipe-dream crazy theory I had ages ago that the ending of HBP is very similar to the ending of ESB, and to hear this...my god. This is hands down the best bit of news!!

If possible, my hype just got higher. :lol:

lcbaseball22
July 7th, 2009, 11:18 pm
I don't think they planned for the film to be PG. I really think that they have just changed what the ratings mean in the States. I really don't think OotP needed to be PG. I think in the recent past they have rated films too harshly and if HBP is along the same lines as OotP i am fine with a PG rating. It is only GoF with the return of Voldemort and with Cedric's death was worthy of a PG-13 rating.

Yeah, I was actually quite surprised that OotP was PG-13 considering how terribly watered down the MoM batttle and the snake attack on Arthur was. Same with GoF, didn't show Wormtail cutting off his hand. But if the MPAA deemed both worthy of PG-13, then they should have stayed consistent with HBP. Really to truly do justice to the Sectumsempra scene is would like require R...but that'd never happen. :sigh:

OMG! :wow: That is like the greatest things I've EVER heard about this movie!! It was like a pipe-dream crazy theory I had ages ago that the ending of HBP is very similar to the ending of ESB, and to hear this...my god. This is hands down the best bit of news!!

If possible, my hype just got higher. :lol:

Hmm, perhaps...however they also think PoA is the best of the Potter films and that the first few were "one dimensional" (:rolleyes:) which is a view I certainly don't share (the first still remains the best, IMO...but the 2nd was just alright) So I'm not putting much stock in this :p

katana
July 7th, 2009, 11:21 pm
I really like the sectumsempra scene. I wouldn't have wanted a sort of slow motion fall with blood spurting everywhere. I can imagine Draco falls and then Harry goes up to him slowly realizing he hasn't gotten up and turns the corner and there is blood all over. Then Harry realizing he has really hurt Draco. I kind of like it.
I agree. I thought the scene was fine, and liked it...and thought it was rather intense. I'm excited to see the whole scene play out on the big screen!

Quote:
One film that does come to mind as Half-Blood nears its conclusion is The Empire Strikes Back, though if you're going to emulate a fantasy sequel, it may as well be the best. With its themes of destiny, loss, and mortality, there are marked similarities, while the downbeat conclusion that leaves our despondent heroes fearing for the future yet resolute in their determination to defeat the 'Dark Lord' directly recalls Lucas's masterpiece.

:cool: Awesome! That little tid bit makes me very happy!

decarus
July 7th, 2009, 11:22 pm
Yeah, I was actually quite surprised that OotP was PG-13 considering how terribly watered down the MoM batttle and the snake attack on Arthur was. Same with GoF, didn't show Wormtail cutting off his hand. But if the MPAA deemed both worthy of PG-13, then they should have stayed consistent with HBP. Really to truly do justice to the Sectumsempra scene is would like require R...but that'd never happen. :sigh:
Would you really have wanted a Harry Potter film to be rated R? I just feel like that there are very few films that are rated R that are really worth seeing and that would take something away from it. There are a few war films that are good and to be honest probably a quarter of the films i own are rated R, but Harry Potter. I just think it would take away from the film to have one moment of masses of blood.

DML1991
July 7th, 2009, 11:26 pm
I'm reminded of back last year when MOD made comparisons of Snape's march out of the great hall to ESB. :agree:

MasterOfDeath
July 7th, 2009, 11:29 pm
I'm reminded of back last year when Vince made comparisons of Snape's march out of the great hall to ESB. :agreed:

Yep. :lol: Cool that you remember that. :) :tu:

Ad not just visually, but the narrative cogs wrap up in a very similar fashion. You have a shocking surprise/revelation ("No, I am your father!"; Snape killing Dumbledore), followed by a chase and a duel of sorts, a downer ending where the bad guys win, a cliffhanger where the good guys resolve to battle on.

lcbaseball22
July 7th, 2009, 11:29 pm
Would you really have wanted a Harry Potter film to be rated R? I just feel like that there are very few films that are rated R that are really worth seeing and that would take something away from it. There are a few war films that are good and to be honest probably a quarter of the films i own are rated R, but Harry Potter. I just think it would take away from the film to have one moment of masses of blood.

Well, one (or two) R rated scenes likely wouldn't bump the entire film up...

And nah, not "masses of blood"...as I said before:
Well, I'm not like wanting gallons of blood but to not even really show the spell hitting him and/or the wounds opening up is just...LAME :rolleyes:

I would like them to be more mature to reflect the actual audience and the grown up readership (like I started reading HP when I was 11, and now I'm 21!)...young adults can handle that, we see it in films all the time. Again, I'll quote Wimsey from the boxoffice thread- Actually, it is possible that HP has become less of a family film. The first weekend demographics tallied by Sony have shown that the age is steadily increasing, and that the median age has been 18+ since prisoner. 18 year olds (and, indeed, sub-adult teens) usually see films with friends rather than family.

What I really was hoping for with HBP was a TDKesque "borderline R" film. Not R, a PG-13 film that pushed the limits and didn't tone things down just so it is appropriate for kiddies to watch as well. But they're so afraid of losing this minority audience this is what we get... :relax:

katana
July 7th, 2009, 11:31 pm
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i0a5fa05df2f2bdcf7c6a62be6821e902#5

In ticket sales news, as of today, HBP is outpacing where Transformers was in ticket sales 8 days before their openings. Right now, HBP makes up 65% of daily ticket sales on Fandango. If I remember, jthe week of the opening, Transformers was up in the 90 percentile for ticket sales, and it made a huge opening. And this is just Fandango. I don't know if there are other ticket sites, but if Potter keeps the trend of rising ticket sales, it could have just as big of an opening.
Anyway, I thought that was good news.

MasterOfDeath
July 7th, 2009, 11:38 pm
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i0a5fa05df2f2bdcf7c6a62be6821e902#5

In ticket sales news, as of today, HBP is outpacing where Transformers was in ticket sales 8 days before their openings. Right now, HBP makes up 65% of daily ticket sales on Fandango. If I remember, jthe week of the opening, Transformers was up in the 90 percentile for ticket sales, and it made a huge opening. And this is just Fandango. I don't know if there are other ticket sites, but if Potter keeps the trend of rising ticket sales, it could have just as big of an opening.

:tu: Awesome news! I really hope HBP makes more than Transformers. IMO, a piece of one of the great popular stories of our time deserves to be seen by more people than an empty action film with zero substance.

katana
July 7th, 2009, 11:40 pm
:tu: Awesome news! I really hope HBP makes more than Transformers. IMO, a piece of one of the great popular stories of our time deserves to be seen by more people than an empty action film with zero substance.
I liked Transformers. Well....at least 80% of the movie anyway.
But I agree, that I would love to see HBP open bigger than Transformers did! That would just be pure awesome!

MasterOfDeath
July 7th, 2009, 11:43 pm
I liked Transformers. Well....at least 80% of the movie anyway.
But I agree, that I would love to see HBP open bigger than Transformers did! That would just be pure awesome!

It's just my opinion. :)

decarus
July 7th, 2009, 11:44 pm
What I really was hoping for with HBP was a TDKesque "borderline R" film. Not R, a PG-13 film that pushed the limits and didn't tone things down just so the kiddies could watch the film as well. But they are so afraid of losing this minority audience that this is what we get... :relax:
I don't really think young kids say under the age of 13 should have seen TDK. I don't think that HBP needs to be that harsh. The only violent scene with blood is the sectumsempra scene and i don't think that you need a lot of blood to show that Draco is in danger.

I don't think that scene needs to be worse then when Voldemort put his foot on Cedric's face. Cedric dead with his eyes wide open. I don't really think that they were trying to reach the younger kids with this film. I think they were trying to get darker, but the only moment is the sectumsempra scene and a little bit with Dumbledore's death.

I really think that the ratings are wildly out of control. I actually have wondered if the Lion King was released now if it would have gotten a PG rating with Mufasa dying. I agree that there is a lack of consistency with making OotP rated PG-13 and then making HBP rated PG, but if it is a true attempt to correct the wildly out of control rating system i am fine with it.

I don't really care what films are rated. I see the ones i want regardless. I rarely see G rated films, but PG or PG-13 are sort of nonsense ratings so i will see them either way and i think most people feel the same way.

katana
July 7th, 2009, 11:54 pm
It's just my opinion. :)
Oh I know :lol: I'm not offended or anything! :)

ally_xx
July 8th, 2009, 12:00 am
I watched some highlights of the HBP Premiere this morning, and our Aussie Reporter Richard Wilkins was talking to the trio, and to Luna and Dumbledore and Draco. It was so cool! And can I just say, that Emma Watson looked absolutely stunning in that Vintage dress. I plan to steal it.

lcbaseball22
July 8th, 2009, 12:03 am
I don't really think young kids say under the age of 13 should have seen TDK. I don't think that HBP needs to be that harsh. The only violent scene with blood is the sectumsempra scene and i don't think that you need a lot of blood to show that Draco is in danger.

I don't think that scene needs to be worse then when Voldemort put his foot on Cedric's face. Cedric dead with his eyes wide open. I don't really think that they were trying to reach the younger kids with this film. I think they were trying to get darker, but the only moment is the sectumsempra scene and a little bit with Dumbledore's death.

There was no blood in TDK (only cause doing so would have pushed it to R, so they kept it all implied) but Sectumsempra easily could have put HBP on par and besides that there are lots of dark scenes actually. Obviously the Inferi, I'm sure they could have gone creepier with those and then another that comes to mind is the Necklace Attack. This one sounds toned down a bit as well. Hagrid arrives just in the nick of time to allow them to cop out and not show the thrashing around and screaming like she's possessed after she's landed on the ground.

The thing is we all know they could have gone darker and more intense with these scenes, and that's what irritates me. They aren't doing the book full justice in my opinion by toning scenes down in an attempt to appeal to a wider range of audience. This isn't a kids film! :relax:

I'd personally wish them to sacrifice maybe a few million dollars to make a film that appeals to the main HP demographic (young adults)

But it's not like PG-13 is restrictive...kids can still buy a ticket, parents just need to be more cautious. It obviously didn't affect TDK's sales.

They consider PG-13 the "sweet spot" rating actually because of this. It's not a "turn off" to older crowds and you don't resrict the younger.

Sure, HP fans will still go still it (many multiple times) but I gaurantee you some others will find the PG rating a "turn off"- a bigger impact.

Those kids that were planning to see it would find a way to do so whether it was PG or PG-13, the same can't be said for some older crowds

katana
July 8th, 2009, 12:19 am
There was no blood in TDK (only cause doing so would have pushed it to R, so they kept it all implied) but Sectumsempra easily could have put HBP on par and besides that there are lots of dark scenes actually. Obviously the Inferi, I'm sure they could have gone creepier with those and then another that comes to mind is the Necklace Attack. This one sounds toned down a bit as well. Hagrid arrives just in the nick of time to allow them to cop out and not show the thrashing around and screaming like she's possessed after she's landed on the ground.

The thing is we all know they could have gone darker and more intense with these scenes, and that's what irritates me. They aren't doing the book full justice in my opinion by toning scenes down in an attempt to appeal to a wider range of audience. This isn't a kids film! :relax:

If they've toned all this down in HBP, it makes you wonder what they'll do for DH!
I think the Sectumsempra scene is fine. But I wish they would have let Katie do some screaming and thrashing around, if it really has been cut out. Would have been way more intense, IMO.

decarus
July 8th, 2009, 12:21 am
I don't think HBP being rated PG is going to effect who goes and sees it. Everyone is going to go see it. The film is going to make a ton of money. There is no proof that a lower rating is going to cause it any problems. When the film makes a ton of money will that be proof enough that the rating had no effect. I say yes.

MasterOfDeath
July 8th, 2009, 12:23 am
With such a pre-established series like HP, people aren't going to be paying attention to the rating. They will go see it simply because it's HP, no matter what age they are.

I agree the rating can affect a film, but HP is such a blockbuster, I feel it's a non-issue.

Sesquipedalian
July 8th, 2009, 12:24 am
I still do not believe that Warner Bros. has toned down any scenes from the initial test-screening, even though I have not watched any new clips since the one from the MTV Movie Awards. If I recall reports from the test-screenings, it was stated that Warner Bros. predicted that the film would be rated PG-13, making it appear as if that was what they intended the film to be rated; based upon these statements, I doubt that they would tone down what they expected to be a PG-13 film to make it a PG. And one must still take into account that it is still rated 12A in the United Kingdom (I've disregarded the report from that one guy on here who stated that it was PG over there; he has been the only one to state this).

In addition, I believe that the Harry Potter films should be for all audiences who are capable of comprehending its plot, which would include pre-teens and most children between the ages of seven and ten. Therefore, it is not a kids' film, and it is not a film specifically for the older crowd, as well; it is one for most people who are old enough to read the books to enjoy and feel comfortable watching.

(Once again, this is merely my opinion; I apologise if this feels as though it is a personal attack towards anybody else's.)

lcbaseball22
July 8th, 2009, 12:32 am
I don't think HBP being rated PG is going to effect who goes and sees it. Everyone is going to go see it. The film is going to make a ton of money. There is no proof that a lower rating is going to cause it any problems. When the film makes a ton of money will that be proof enough that the rating had no effect. I say yes.

Well, for one if you look at the top 100 box office earners the majority are PG-13 or R (this one is surprising) If I recall correctly when I totaled it up not even 25% were PG. Secondly, I know plenty of people who are no longer planning to see it cause of the PG rating I'm sure they aren't the only ones. Mark my words, it WILL have an effect...but unfortunately we won't be able to know how profound of an effect. The only true way we could determine this would be to have both PG and a PG-13 versions released and compare the box office take :lol:

So yes, I'm afraid it will prevent HBP from reaching it's highest potential at the box office, but I still expect it to make tons of money.

Regardless it's not the money I'm concerned with, it's the content...and if WB was truly concerned with money being that they are a business, then they'd have aimed for a PG-13 and we'd both be happy :p Sadly this isn't the case, but I'll still go still...only cause I'm a fan

snugglepot
July 8th, 2009, 12:33 am

I watched some highlights of the HBP Premiere this morning, and our Aussie Reporter Richard Wilkins was talking to the trio, and to Luna and Dumbledore and Draco. It was so cool! And can I just say, that Emma Watson looked absolutely stunning in that Vintage dress. I plan to steal it.

He spoke to Bonnie and the Twins, as well. Don't forget them!

theprince18
July 8th, 2009, 12:40 am
Well, for one if you look at the top 100 box office earners the majority are PG-13 or R (this one is surprising) If I recall correctly when I totaled it up not even 25% were PG. Secondly, I know plenty of people who are no longer planning to see it cause of the PG rating I'm sure they aren't the only ones. Mark my words, it WILL have an effect...but unfortunately we won't be able to know how profound of an effect. The only true way we could determine this would be to have both PG and a PG-13 versions released and compare the box office take :lol:

So yes, I'm afraid it will prevent HBP from reaching it's highest potential at the box office, but I still expect it to make tons of money.

Regardless it's not the money I'm concerned with, it's the content...and if WB was truly concerned with money being that they are a business, then they'd have aimed for a PG-13 and we'd both be happy :p Sadly this isn't the case, but I'll still go still...only cause I'm a fan

The PG rating didn't stop Sorcerer's Stone from having one of the top 5 worldwide grosses of all time, so I don't really see the PG rating having a huge effect on HBP. It will persuade some not to come but most don't care about ratings.

MasterOfDeath
July 8th, 2009, 12:45 am
If anyone in north America gets Reelz channel on their cable, 'At the movies' is going to air at 8 PM EST, in less than 20 minutes. They are going to review HBP!!!! It used to be Ebert and Roeper on the show but they sometimes have different critics now in the past year..but there is a chance it will be Roeper at least on the show.

I'm looking forward to their review!

Sacred_Memories
July 8th, 2009, 12:47 am
Maggie Smith looked so frail, but I love that woman so much. I smiled when she gave Rupert a kiss.

lcbaseball22
July 8th, 2009, 12:47 am
The PG rating didn't stop Sorcerer's Stone from having one of the top 5 worldwide grosses of all time, so I don't really see the PG rating having a huge effect on HBP. It will persuade some not to come but most don't care about ratings.

That is because it was the very first film and the hype was through the roof, the book didn't warrant a higher rating, and at that time the readers were much younger. You really can't compare the 1st book/film to the 6th, the characters and readers have grown up and the books became increasingly more mature to reflect that. It probably won't be a huge effect, no...but I bet it'd make a couple million more if PG-13.

DML1991
July 8th, 2009, 12:53 am
If anyone in north America gets Reelz channel on their cable, 'At the movies' is going to air at 8 PM EST, in less than 20 minutes. They are going to review HBP!!!! It used to be Ebert and Roeper on the show but they sometimes have different critics now in the past year..but there is a chance it will be Roeper at least on the show.

I'm looking forward to their review!Roeper is no longer a part of it anymore. It's just Ben Lyons and someone else. :(

MasterOfDeath
July 8th, 2009, 12:54 am
Roeper is no longer a part of it anymore. It's just Ben Lyons and someone else. :(

oh, that sucks. :( It'll still be cool to see a review on TV...

decarus
July 8th, 2009, 1:03 am
That is because it was the very first film and the hype was through the roof, the book didn't warrant a higher rating, and at that time the readers were much younger. You really can't compare the 1st book/film to the 6th, the characters and readers have grown up and the books became increasingly more mature to reflect that. It probably won't be a huge effect, no...but I bet it'd make a couple million more if PG-13.
A couple of million is chump change when it comes to the amount that this film is going to make. I also think there is really no proof that the rating has any effect. I do agree that the amount of money that SS made was based on the fact that it was the first film.

I am not really that big of a fan of the first three books and didn't really think much of Harry Potter until the fourth book came out.

SwedishSkinJer
July 8th, 2009, 1:04 am
Hey, everyone. I was talking to a reviewer who put out a review for this movie on his website, and we were speaking on Twitter (he was at the London showing and was taking videos), and I asked him about Greyback. He told me that Greyback doesn't have any lines in the movie, but he's in quite a few scenes. He did say that Gambon steals the show and finally delivers a worthy Dumbledore, though.

MasterOfDeath
July 8th, 2009, 1:04 am
Bleh, nevermind about the review. False advertisement. :rolleyes: The information says it's about HBP, but this is an old one about Public Enemies and Ice Age.

SolarHeart
July 8th, 2009, 1:06 am
This is from the review of ComingSoon.net:

"To be honest, other than the opening, a brief Quidditch match and the quest by Harry and Dumbeldore's quest to find an important artifact, there's nothing in the sixth movie that necessarily needs to be seen on the larger IMAX screen."

Source: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/reviewsnews.php?id=56914

Maybe this means that the beginning, quidditch match and cave scene will all be in 3D.

Just a thought.

SwedishSkinJer
July 8th, 2009, 1:08 am
I don't think the guy at ComingSoon understands. He says that the series is starting to lose the earlier magic of the movies, and he's complaining about Hogwarts, but this movie is setting the trio up for LEAVING the school and entering the world beyond. The movies couldn't stay light forever.

lcbaseball22
July 8th, 2009, 1:16 am
So I just downloaded the Burrow clip in HD...oh God, this scenes looks worse (color wise) than I thought, here is the comparison...the top one (assuming this is the the final cut) looks so bland and ugly. The bottom is from the teaser and is much more ominous and pretty, IMO

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk300/lcbaseball22/burrow-3.jpg?t=1247012577
http://www.mugglenet.com/images/hbplist/Ch16/35.jpg

So now that we can see comparisons in HD, what do you guys think? I really hope it remained like that bottom shot...

decarus
July 8th, 2009, 1:18 am
I agree that those HD look terrible. I didn't think they were very good copies and i downloaded them in the highest form. I don't know what is going on with that. Strange that Greyback has no lines, not at B&B's, not at the burrow attack, not at hogwarts. Strange.

SwedishSkinJer
July 8th, 2009, 1:18 am
Every review has said the cinematography is amazing, so don't worry.

lcbaseball22
July 8th, 2009, 1:20 am
I agree that those HD look terrible. I didn't think they were very good copies and i downloaded them in the highest form. I don't know what is going on with that. Strange that Greyback has no lines, not at B&B's, not at the burrow attack, not at hogwarts. Strange.

I'm hoping it's just not color processed...but then that doesn't explain why the teaser from so early on looks so fantastically creepy with the moonlight shining on her and all. And I'm afraid given the comments to "lighten it up" it's going to look bland and washed out like the 1st

SwedishSkinJer
July 8th, 2009, 1:23 am
I'm hoping it's just not color processed...but then that doesn't explain why the teaser from so early on looks so fantastically creepy with the moonlight shining on her and all. And I'm afraid given the comments to "lighten it up" it's going to look bland and washed out like the 1st

Nearly every review has said this is the most impressive looking film yet in the series, so maybe it's just an error of some sort.

decarus
July 8th, 2009, 1:26 am
I agree that the shot looks unfinished. I am not worried about it. This film always looks better when you see it in the finished form. There has been a lot of inconsistencies in giving us old unfinished shots and new finished shots. I am sure it will be alright in the end.

PS. It is strange there is such a difference between the two.

DML1991
July 8th, 2009, 1:27 am
So I just downloaded the Burrow clip in HD...oh God, this scenes looks worse (color wise) than I thought, here is the comparison...the top one (assuming this is the the final cut) looks so bland and ugly. The bottom is from the teaser and is much more ominous and pretty, IMO

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk300/lcbaseball22/burrow-3.jpg?t=1247012577
http://www.mugglenet.com/images/hbplist/Ch16/35.jpg

So now that we can see comparisons in HD, what do you guys think? I really hope it remained like that bottom shot...I think it looks utterly fantastic in motion, which is what should matter. :relax:

Sesquipedalian
July 8th, 2009, 1:29 am
I believe that both shots are acceptable, though I understand as to why one would be upset about the newer version. However, for all we know, the shot from the teaser trailer could be the unfinished one, with more natural lighting that the filmmakers had always intended to make more brown in the future.

DML1991
July 8th, 2009, 1:30 am
I believe that both shots are acceptable, though I understand as to why one would be upset about the newer version. However, for all we know, the shot from the teaser trailer could be the unfinished one, with more natural lighting that the filmmakers had always intended to make more brown in the future.They did intend it to look more yellow in post production filtering, that much was proven with the third trailer when the shots of Harry running through the reeds looked more yellow than the teaser and more in line with what we saw in the clip.

lcbaseball22
July 8th, 2009, 1:30 am
I agree that the shot looks unfinished. I am not worried about it. This film always looks better when you see it in the finished form. There has been a lot of inconsistencies in giving us old unfinished shots and new finished shots. I am sure it will be alright in the end.

So you think the shot in the teaser trailer might actually be the finished? I certainly thought it looked finished but we heard about how they screwed with the color schemes and all. Maybe they drained the green color from the reeds and whatnot. I suppose it is possible they gave us a clip from way early on, put together even before the teaser trailer was released...but I really doubt that. Nope, I'm afraid this is it.

Hmm, I wish someone who's already seen the film could confirm or relieve my fears...but I guess I'll see for myself in about a week. :shrug:

MasterOfDeath
July 8th, 2009, 1:33 am
To be honest, when I watched those clips, I was too busy being blown away by the editing, the acting, the script and the camera angles, etc to really pay attention to the color grade.

I also don't think we should be judging the look of the film on stills seen on our computers. It will look completely different up on an actual movie screen.

lcbaseball22
July 8th, 2009, 1:33 am
I think it looks utterly fantastic in motion, which is what should matter. :relax:

I think it looks utterly terrible even in motion and yeah, that is what matters :p It's just so brown, bland, ugly, and washed out...

SwedishSkinJer
July 8th, 2009, 1:36 am
Well, the reviews said the editing is fantastic in this movie, so I'm not worried.

lcbaseball22
July 8th, 2009, 1:44 am
It's odd, this is the 1 exterior scene that doesn't look fantastic. All other outside scenes look marvelous in the later trailers. I thought it was just some of the interior scenes that had been deterimentally affected by this altering of Bruno's choice of color schemes, apparently not.

DML1991
July 8th, 2009, 1:45 am
I think it looks utterly terrible even in motion and yeah, that is what matters :p It's just so brown, bland, ugly, and washed out...I think it's very 'yellow' than it is brown, which is Delbonnel's trademark color.

However, I don't think it looks bland at all, in fact, I think it has more character and 'color' than what was seen in the teaser.

SwedishSkinJer
July 8th, 2009, 1:45 am
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/reviews/first-night-harry-potter-and-the-halfblood-prince-odeon-leicester-square-1736209.html

I dunno if anyone has seen this review, but it's slightly negative. In fact, it's only one of the few negative ones I've seen thus far.

DML1991
July 8th, 2009, 1:46 am
It's 3/5, which is positive. It seems to me it was more of a fan-rant than anything else.

Thranduil1990
July 8th, 2009, 1:46 am
http://www.snitchseeker.com/harry-potter-news/nicholas-hooper-talks-half-blood-prince-soundtrack-la-times-65544/

That's horrible!! It seems like "In Noctem" was the them for Hogwarts choir but they decided tu cut it, so they put it on the credits.
then, i guess they cut all the part of the script we get months ago, where there was a pracitce choir, and frames with mcgonagall looking at the sky, snape looking outside, and ron and hermione in the common room.

i loved that part. i hope is in he film.

SwedishSkinJer
July 8th, 2009, 1:48 am
It's 3/5, which is positive. It seems to me it was more of a fan-rant than anything else.

Yeah, but it didn't come off as a 3/5. More like a 2/5.

He said he would have loved it if he wasn't a die hard fan, though.

MasterOfDeath
July 8th, 2009, 1:48 am
http://www.snitchseeker.com/harry-potter-news/nicholas-hooper-talks-half-blood-prince-soundtrack-la-times-65544/

That's horrible!! It seems like "In Noctem" was the them for Hogwarts choir but they decided tu cut it, so they put it on the credits.
then, i guess they cut all the part of the script we get months ago, where there was a pracitce choir, and frames with mcgonagall looking at the sky, snape looking outside, and ron and hermione in the common room.

It sounds like 'In Noctem' is Dumbledore's theme. Pieces of it are reprised in all the Dumbledore tracks.

decarus
July 8th, 2009, 1:50 am
i guess they cut all the part of the script we get months ago, where there was a pracitce choir, and frames with mcgonagall looking at the sky, snape looking outside, and ron and hermione in the common room.

i loved that part. i hope is in he film. I think those parts are in the film. I don't remember hearing otherwise. I also think there was a shot of Draco in the hospital wing when he gets out of bed.

I meant the parts with mcgonagal, snape, and ron and hermione. I do think the choir was cut.

SwedishSkinJer
July 8th, 2009, 1:51 am
No, the part of everyone looking outside is still in the movie. I think Lyria and Aussie confirmed that.

SybillOnWheels
July 8th, 2009, 1:53 am

I'm guessing that there are still the shots of Snape looking out the window, McGonagall looking at the sky, Draco walking down the corridor and the Death Eaters coming out of the cabinet. Just we don't get the whole choir thing in between these shots like we were supposed to in the script.

Thranduil1990
July 8th, 2009, 2:02 am
yes, and I also saw one of mcgonagall looking at he sky
http://www.oclumencia.com.br/galeria/displayimage.php?album=708&pos=87
and i remember one of ron and hermione in the common room
but maybe, they just cut them, it wouldn't be the first time they do something like that.

what ti's clear it's that theu cut the Hogwarts choir with Flitwick.

SwedishSkinJer
July 8th, 2009, 2:03 am
No, I don't think they cut those scenes.

Thranduil1990
July 8th, 2009, 2:06 am
i hope so, then, is it flitwick in any scene, besides the fest ?

SwedishSkinJer
July 8th, 2009, 2:06 am
There's a Hogsmeade scene in which Flitwick appears with some teachers.

SolarHeart
July 8th, 2009, 2:10 am
I think I saw somewhere that flitwick is in the scene where Harry and Luna are walking through the front gates when they arrive

Thranduil1990
July 8th, 2009, 2:11 am
better than nothing, thank you :tu:

lcbaseball22
July 8th, 2009, 2:12 am
I don't think those scenes are cut...the choir perhaps but not the rest of that script portion. But I hated the choir addition in PoA and quite frankly I'm kinda glad they cut the stupid choir, perhaps now they can reinstate Flitwick as the Charms professor he's supposed to be :p And yeah, Flitwick is in quite a few scenes it seems...but mostly just in the background or for comic relief probably...again. But from the sticker book images it appears he is present during the Opening Feast, the Necklace Attack, "the funeral" and a couple other scenes out in the grounds which I couldn't quite tell where they might occur. One seemed to be when Harry and Luna are walking through the gates.

SwedishSkinJer
July 8th, 2009, 2:12 am
I'm sure he appears in more scenes, but we haven't seen the whole movie yet.

Kanksha
July 8th, 2009, 2:30 am
Been reading the reviews and am quite happy by the overall positive reactions :)
A bit curious, how have so many people already seen it?

CandyCane23049
July 8th, 2009, 2:38 am

The theater I'm going to is sold out. At first it was only one show but then they added another one, which was sold out too.

I saw Transformer's at I-max but I know HBP will get more of my money. If I knew my work schedule, I would have brought tickets for the rest of that week.

lcbaseball22
July 8th, 2009, 2:38 am
I'm finding it kinda funny how inconsistent the reviews are, mainly when it comes to the acting- Some say Rupert is nearly the MVP of the film others say he hasn't improve, some say Bonnie shines others say she's lackluster, some say Gambon is fantastic others say he's not, etc

:lol:

I guess it's hard to agree on acting. The one general consistency that is good is the overall impression, which is overwhelmingly positive :tu:

SwedishSkinJer
July 8th, 2009, 2:41 am
Only your opinion truly matters. Reviews are just another opinion.

lcbaseball22
July 8th, 2009, 2:44 am
Only your opinion truly matters. Reviews are just another opinion.

True, it's just amusing how very different opinions can be :p No film, actor/actress, director, etc can please everyone... :shrug:

CandyCane23049
July 8th, 2009, 2:45 am
Bleh, nevermind about the review. False advertisement. :rolleyes: The information says it's about HBP, but this is an old one about Public Enemies and Ice Age.

They got me too. I autotune my DVR and was dissappointed when I saw the show that I just saw saturday.

The one that was false comes on Sunday morning ABC(for me) that's when I saw the review for Public Enemies and Ice Age.

Also if anyone missed it, WGN(chicago) will have interviews monday (7/13) from the critc Dean.

Also don't forget Emma will be on David Letterman's tomorrow night, 11:35 EST.

decarus
July 8th, 2009, 3:05 am

Letterman is great. I have to remember to watch this.

MasterOfDeath
July 8th, 2009, 3:08 am
They got me too. I autotune my DVR and was dissappointed when I saw the show that I just saw saturday.

The one that was false comes on Sunday morning ABC(for me) that's when I saw the review for Public Enemies and Ice Age.

Also if anyone missed it, WGN(chicago) will have interviews monday (7/13) from the critc Dean.

Yep, I recorded it too. :lol: I erased it now though.

And I'll be watching Letterman too.

CountWestwest
July 8th, 2009, 3:09 am
I'm finding it kinda funny how inconsistent the reviews are, mainly when it comes to the acting- Some say Rupert is nearly the MVP of the film others say he hasn't improve, some say Bonnie shines others say she's lackluster, some say Gambon is fantastic others say he's not, etc

I guess it's hard to agree on acting. The one general consistency that is good is the overall impression, which is overwhelmingly positive :tu:

After all is said and done the only opinion that matters is yours.

DML1991
July 8th, 2009, 3:18 am
Reviews shouldn't tell you if you will like it or not, but rather they give you a different opinion from your's and give you a general impression of what to expect.

MasterOfDeath
July 8th, 2009, 3:20 am
I enjoy reading and watching reviews for the same reason I love lurking and posting on forums. I enjoy reading other people's opinions. I find it interesting and fascinating how so many people can have such drastically different opinions on the same exact film. :rotfl: It's great. :p

ally_xx
July 8th, 2009, 3:23 am
Does anybody else agree with me that Emma looked stunning at the London Premiere?

theprince18
July 8th, 2009, 3:25 am
Does anybody else agree with me that Emma looked stunning at the London Premiere?

Yeah she does. She looks hot:drool:

CandyCane23049
July 8th, 2009, 3:43 am
The voting for Emma is for her to get her own page on people.com. She has 48% of the vote and Dakota 46%.

lcbaseball22
July 8th, 2009, 4:13 am

Yep, she looked hott...but she always does, natural from someone who's made the world's sexiest women lists for the past few years. ;)

I actually preferred the outfit she had on the other day though (seen below) to the flirty and showy dress, not quite as sexy, but cute :love:

http://www.snitchseeker.com/gallery/albums/userpics/13923/88848258.jpg

Oooh, and I can't wait to see her on Letterman (though I typically don't watch Letterman, more of a Leno/Conan fan) I didn't know about that, thanks for mentioning that whoever it was. Does anyone know if any of the stars will be on Conan as well? They used to be on Leno...

ally_xx
July 8th, 2009, 4:16 am
Yep, she looked hott...but that's to be expected from someone who has made the world's sexiest women lists for the past few years. ;)

I actually preferred the outfit she had on the other day though (seen below) to the flirty and showy dress, not quite as sexy, but cute :love:

http://www.snitchseeker.com/gallery/albums/userpics/13923/88848258.jpg

Oooh, and I can't wait to see her on Letterman (though I typically don't watch Letterman, more of a Leno/Conan fan) I didn't know about that, thanks for mentioning that whoever it was. Does anyone know if any of the stars will be on Conan as well? They used to be on Leno...

Wow she looks real cute there! Loving the shoes :drool:

Loving this shot:

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s318/oxxallyxxo/capt_7f571fd146e74f0bad0c73fc815f50.jpg

When is she going to be on Letterman? Cause that show airs on Aussie tele too, but at 11.30pm! I'd love to see it!

CandyCane23049
July 8th, 2009, 4:34 am
Wow she looks real cute there! Loving the shoes :drool:

Loving this shot:

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s318/oxxallyxxo/capt_7f571fd146e74f0bad0c73fc815f50.jpg

When is she going to be on Letterman? Cause that show airs on Aussie tele too, but at 11.30pm! I'd love to see it!

It's tomorrow night.

MasterOfDeath
July 8th, 2009, 4:38 am
I thought Bonnie looked so beautiful. :love:
http://www.bonniewrightonline.com/galleries/displayimage.php?pid=6313&fullsize=1

lcbaseball22
July 8th, 2009, 4:52 am
Bonnie has way too much make-up on.

Agreed, as I said earlier... :relax:

And this isn't the first time she's done this. Many girls are naturally beautiful and make-up can often look worse and kinda trashy.

ally_xx
July 8th, 2009, 4:53 am
http://www.bonniewrightonline.com/galleries/displayimage.php?pid=6313&fullsize=1

I agree with you there!!

I think Evanna Lynch looked great too :)

SwedishSkinJer
July 8th, 2009, 4:57 am
Agreed, as I said earlier... :relax:

And this isn't the first time she's done this. Many girls are naturally beautiful and make-up can often look worse and kinda trashy.

Bonnie is a beautiful girl, but the make-up is too excessive, and looking at her pictures in high quality shots makes the glitter of the make-up even more distracting.

cgold
July 8th, 2009, 4:59 am
I thought so too. She looked positively stunning and gorgeously age appropriate. The dress was fantastic. Her make-up looks fine to me. Dramatic eyes and that was it. :)

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b187/cgold100/bonnie-wright-harry-ginny-moment-07.jpg

She's seems to be getting a lot of positive reviews as well. I'm actually surprised by this. With everyone they have to review a lot of the reviewers seem to be singling her out, calling the portrayal "elegant", "mature", etc. I just read this review from ComingSoon.net (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/reviewsnews.php?id=56914)

If someone told me eight years ago that Bonnie Wright, introduced as Ginny Weasley in the first movie, would turn into such a strong dramatic actress who could carry scenes as well as the three leads, I wouldn't have believed it. It's a testament to producer David Heyman and the various directors who've helmed the franchise that these young actors have been able to evolve and develop their characters so much. This movie would have failed miserably if that wasn't the case.
Good for her! Too bad JK didn't give her enough to do in DH. Hopefully if she's really good in HBP they'll beef up her role at the end of Deathly Hallows. I really enjoy her character and was disappointed that JK didn't do more with her in the final battle.

Cheers :tu:

lcbaseball22
July 8th, 2009, 5:06 am
Bonnie is a beautiful girl, but the make-up is too excessive, and looking at her pictures in high quality shots makes the glitter of the make-up even more distracting.

Yeah, I honestly don't think she needs makeup...she looks fine without. Not my type as I don't typically find redheads attractive (is that ironic since I'm one myself? :whistle:) but I do think she has some natural beauty. Forget the makeup, IMO :shrug: Dress is stunningly sexy though :drool:

SwedishSkinJer
July 8th, 2009, 5:09 am
As far as the acting is concerned, every review has praised Jim Broadbent as Slughorn, with one even suggesting that he could receive an award for his acting in the film.

lcbaseball22
July 8th, 2009, 5:14 am
As far as the acting is concerned, every review has praised Jim Broadbent as Slughorn, with one even suggesting that he could receive an award for his acting in the film.

Well, not every...I read a few that didn't, though I can't remember which ones. :hmm:

I was very pleased with his casting as Slughorn though. I've always liked Jim Broadbent and I'm confident he'll portray an excellent Slughorn. I like what I've seen so far...despite the look not being quite right (ie no walrus mustache) Be great if he was nominated for an award :D

SolarHeart
July 8th, 2009, 5:14 am
I thought both Bonnie and Emma looked great. Two very good looking girls.

Sacred_Memories
July 8th, 2009, 5:19 am
If only Bonnie fixed her god-awful teeth.

SwedishSkinJer
July 8th, 2009, 5:24 am
Well, not every...I read a few that didn't, though I can't remember which ones. :hmm:

I was very pleased with his casting as Slughorn though. I've always liked Jim Broadbent and I'm confident he'll portray an excellent Slughorn. I like what I've seen so far...despite the look not being quite right (ie no walrus mustache) Be great if he was nominated for an award :D

Odd, I've read nearly every review out right now, and all of them were positive with Jim.

lcbaseball22
July 8th, 2009, 5:44 am
So, now that like (thousands?) saw the film at the premiere earlier today shouldn't we have been inundated with reviews all day? There have only been a couple new ones and only like 10 total. Do we expect the flood tomorrow? Snitchseeker said they'd post theirs tomorrow. :hmm:

MadMagic
July 8th, 2009, 6:16 am
Lets have less chatter and critiquing of the actors looks and more discussion about the premier and the movie. :)

SwedishSkinJer
July 8th, 2009, 6:18 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxsxLIxPrTI

^

At the end of the clip, there's a new scene showing the trio discussing Dumbledore.

MasterOfDeath
July 8th, 2009, 8:27 am
In one week, I'll have just got back from the midnight showing and will probably be posting in here all night. :lol:

DML1991
July 8th, 2009, 8:39 am
Someone had this GIF in their sig on IMDb, I just have to post it...

http://i41.tinypic.com/316p0le.jpg

Just... wow.

SwedishSkinJer
July 8th, 2009, 8:58 am
New review. Highly positive:

I am pleased to report that in no way was I disappointed! It was an incredible 2 ˝ hours of action, magic, love, fun, frights and romance. The plot is quite complex, but carries on a few weeks after the 5th film left off. Harry seems very much more grown up, full of apprehension about the future and the tasks he suspects Dumbledore has in store for him. Harry’s character seems more developed and well rounded, he comes across more content with who he is and the relationships he has. Rowling has enabled Harry to get to a point which is inevitably leading to a confrontation with Voldemort. But there are many obstacles in his way before this can occur, and some of them are not so scary as ‘He Who Must Not Be Named’!

http://www.heyuguys.co.uk/blog/viewpost/1178

lcbaseball22
July 8th, 2009, 9:20 am
New review. Highly positive:

I am pleased to report that in no way was I disappointed! It was an incredible 2 ˝ hours of action, magic, love, fun, frights and romance. The plot is quite complex, but carries on a few weeks after the 5th film left off. Harry seems very much more grown up, full of apprehension about the future and the tasks he suspects Dumbledore has in store for him. Harry’s character seems more developed and well rounded, he comes across more content with who he is and the relationships he has. Rowling has enabled Harry to get to a point which is inevitably leading to a confrontation with Voldemort. But there are many obstacles in his way before this can occur, and some of them are not so scary as ‘He Who Must Not Be Named’!

http://www.heyuguys.co.uk/blog/viewpost/1178

Thanks for posting :) Great review but I'll highlight her one gripe...seems to be a common one :shrug:

If I had one criticism I will mention it here, which that I did not think enough was made of the Half-Blood Prince himself. Many times throughout the book Harry and Ron, or Harry and Hermoine puzzle over the true identity of the Half-Blood Prince, but there were little references to him in the film.

This is a bit dissapointing and perhaps a DADA scene (something I know I'm surly going to miss) or simply more scenes with Snape would have helped here. Actaully probably just need a bit more exposition and discussion of the Prince, like Harry questioning about him at the Burrow. And Hermione could have mentioned looking him up in the library and whatnot. I'm sure there are probably a few romance scenes that could have been axed in favor of these. Afterall it is the TITLE of the book, would have been nice to have more emphasis. Oh well...

SwedishSkinJer
July 8th, 2009, 9:22 am
New reviews!

Very positive:

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/282937/harry_potter_and_the_halfblood_prince_review.html

Very, very positive:

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/112423/FIRST-NIGHT-REVIEW-Harry-potter-and-the-half-blood-prince

Very good review from the BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8133379.stm

gertiekeddle
July 8th, 2009, 9:35 am
Someone had this GIF in their sig on IMDb, I just have to post it...

http://i41.tinypic.com/316p0le.jpg

Just... wow.I second the wow. In fact I'd love to rewrite our signature rules, if I didn't know it's unfair for the low connection members. Still... this is a really amazing snip.

lcbaseball22
July 8th, 2009, 9:42 am
New reviews!

Very positive:

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/282937/harry_potter_and_the_halfblood_prince_review.html

Very, very positive:

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/112423/FIRST-NIGHT-REVIEW-Harry-potter-and-the-half-blood-prince

Very good review from the BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8133379.stm

Sweet!

I like this one quote from the first link:

"And the need to truncate a several hundred-page book into a two-and-a-half hour film means subplots tend to get glossed over. But Half-Blood Prince aces it where it matters, and even the most die-hard of Potter purists will be happy with the end result"

Personally, I wouldn't call myself a "die-hard Potter purist" by any means. While I prefer a faithful adaptation, changes are perfectly acceptable as long as they improve the final product. I do hope as he said I'm happy with the end result...overall I think I will be. :D

SwedishSkinJer
July 8th, 2009, 9:44 am
The BBC also included a review from a child who saw the film:

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is a very scary film with a lot of surprises.

The sound effects are really good, with brilliant music changing all the time. All the special effects are excellent, such as really realistic fire in two parts of the film.

It also had amazing graphics: Hogwarts had every tiny detail and was really clear. The film missed out a lot from the book but added quite a bit!

The Half-Blood Prince is probably the best Harry Potter film made. It has plenty of everything, but maybe a bit too much kissing.

KlausBaudelaire
July 8th, 2009, 9:46 am
Unfortunately the choir scene has been given the axe.
Nicholas Hooper was disappointed too.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/herocomplex/2009/07/harry-potter-countdown-composer-nicholas-hoopers-simpler-style.html

DM: Can you elaborate on what the idea was behind the original choir-and-drums piece you first wrote? [Again, spoilers if you haven't read the book.]

NH: David wanted to film this school choir, the Hogwarts school choir, having a choir practice when all this evil stuff at the end of the film was going on in the background. It would have played during an interim moment -- after the events in the cave and before the Death Eaters' arrival at Hogwarts. Originally, there was this gap and the idea was that it should be this build-up for Draco to Dumbledore’s death. It had almost a Garden of Gethsemane feel to it. But eventually, the thinking became that injecting scenes with a choir would have held up the climax. Now, the film glides straightaway from the cave to the end, which I think was the right decision. The music itself, however, can still be heard during the credits of the film, and it’s also on the soundtrack.

This definitely sucks! I hoped to hear 'In Noctem' during the movie, and I wanted some minute of breath between the cave and the tower, and in noctem was perfect.
However, I can see their point, but I'm rather disappointed nonetheless.

SwedishSkinJer
July 8th, 2009, 9:51 am
Yahoo Film Reviews has their review up:

However, fans of the book will be pleased by Yates' handling of the death of a major character. We won't spoil the identity of who dies, but needless to say it's a moving scene played with great grace and shock by the actor involved. Best get your hankies out.

^^

Good news.

They did say that it's a great film, but they said there's a bit too much CGI (which no other reviewer has mentioned thus far). A Spanish film website also gave this film an 8.5/10, saying that it's one of the best in the series.

lcbaseball22
July 8th, 2009, 9:56 am
Another cool quote from the denofgeek review:

It probably won't convert any of the haters, but for those who matter most - the fans - Half-Blood Prince proves that the most beloved tale of modern times is close to fulfilling its mighty potential.

Finally, after eight years, the longest prelude in cinematic history is over. The scene is set, the players poised, and with Deathly Hallows, Potter may just hit the magical paydirt.

That's good to hear. :tu: I hope they're right. Thusfar I haven't felt any of the films have come that close to their true potential (save maybe PS/SS), so it would be nice to finally get a film that nearly acheives the full potential of the source material. And then hopefully more or less as they said...DH will actaully be superior to the book (quite a daunting task but with 2 films they just may be able to acheive this!) :D

SwedishSkinJer
July 8th, 2009, 9:57 am
News Shopper has their review up. 4/5

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/leisure/4479265.REVIEW__Harry_Potter_and_the_Half_Blood_Pr ince_____/

As always the cinematography is spectacular and special effects impressive, Londoners will especially enjoy the Millennium Bridge living up to its wobbly reputation and crashing into the Thames in the beginning sequences.

Aaaand a new Bella/Grayback poster!

http://www.mugglehub.com/media/uploads/us-wallpaper2-1280x1024-1246406747.jpg

KlausBaudelaire
July 8th, 2009, 10:00 am
That's a great poster, but how do you feel that the Choir Scene and In Noctem was cut? Do you think it's a loss or couldn't care less?

lcbaseball22
July 8th, 2009, 10:00 am
Wow, looks like I was right about the flood of reviews coming in today :lol:

I guess they were just a bit slow writing them up or couldn't publish them until the following day :hmm:

SwedishSkinJer
July 8th, 2009, 10:01 am
That's a great poster, but how do you feel that the Choir Scene and In Noctem was cut? Do you think it's a loss or couldn't care less?

Well, I was looking forward to it, but I understand why they did it. It's not a tremendous loss, and we still have a lot of other fantastic scenes to look forward to.

lcbaseball22
July 8th, 2009, 10:02 am

Well, I gave my opinion on this a few pages back...

But I hated the choir addition in PoA and quite frankly I'm kinda glad they cut the stupid choir, perhaps now they can reinstate Flitwick as the Charms professor he's supposed to be :p

As for In Noctem I can't say...haven't listened to it yet. Was it good?

I've only listened to a select few tracks, waiting to hear the rest in the context of the film

SwedishSkinJer
July 8th, 2009, 10:04 am
Another review, guys! 3/5, but largely positive. In fact, their only complaint was that there's not enough action, and the film makes you think a bit too much for a summer blockbuster.

It's probably a bit too thin on the action but as a well-crafted film it works well.

They also said Broadbent is fantastic as Slughorn.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/newsid_8130000/newsid_8137900/8137906.stm

KlausBaudelaire
July 8th, 2009, 10:05 am
It's probably WB's fault, when David Yates pushes the level further, and wants to be 'a bit arty' like they said, thay cut, edit and cut, because it must be a big blockbuster and stop.

SwedishSkinJer
July 8th, 2009, 10:08 am
Oh, god. I just heard In Noctem for the first time, and it would be excellent to hear as Dumbledore is falling from the tower...it would be epic. Anyone agree?

KlausBaudelaire
July 8th, 2009, 10:14 am
It would have been, at this point.

SwedishSkinJer
July 8th, 2009, 10:15 am
Maybe they'll include the choir in a deleted scene for the DVD?

lcbaseball22
July 8th, 2009, 10:21 am
I'm confused...is the choir singing it? Why is the choir needed? :hmm: And do you have a link to the song?

SwedishSkinJer
July 8th, 2009, 10:23 am
http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/reviewcomplete.asp?FID=15119

Slightly negative review from Empire.

Empire rated:

OOTP - 4 stars
GOF - 3 stars
POA - 4 stars
COS - 3 stars
SS - 4 stars

Pearl_Took
July 8th, 2009, 10:30 am
I often agree with Empire's reviews. :cool: Like them, I rate PoA and OotP the best HP films to date. :agree:

But I'm not going to read their review of HBP until I've seen the film myself. :)

lcbaseball22
July 8th, 2009, 10:31 am
Another 3 out of 5 review:

http://www.thelondonpaper.com/going-out/whats-new/movie-review-of-harry-potter-and-the-half-blood-prince

In the end, the overall impression is of a necessary set-up film before the truly testing times to come, and the (two-part) Deathly Hallows - an Empire Strikes Back before Return of the Jedi. We leave Harry, like Luke Skywalker, gazing out into the distance, readying himself for the battle ahead. After all, there’s work to be done - longer, darker, and possibly with more snogging.

SwedishSkinJer
July 8th, 2009, 10:33 am
^

That sounded at least like a 4/5.

Pearl_Took
July 8th, 2009, 10:33 am
That review from thelondonpaper sounds pretty positive. :)

I loved this bit:

After all, there’s work to be done - longer, darker, and possibly with more snogging.

:lol: That's a given! :rotfl: The snogging, that is. :D

lcbaseball22
July 8th, 2009, 10:37 am
^

That sounded at least like a 4/5.

Nah, that sounded like a 3/5 to me. I think it was cause of this, they feel as quite a few do that the film doesn't really accomplish anything.

In the end, the overall impression is of a necessary set-up film before the truly testing times to come

KlausBaudelaire
July 8th, 2009, 10:44 am
I'll put the crucial point of the Empire Review on spoiler tags for Pearl_Took

But major plot points slip by (we’re still wondering what a horcrux is exactly!), big doings seem rushed and more everyday goings on extended. Do we really need another game of Quidditch to lighten the mood, when a destiny of doom and gloom is supposed to be closing in? Given the much-trailered destruction in London that opens the film, it seems odd that the consequences of that or anything else in the outside world don’t rate a mention.

My fears came true...

I'm confused...is the choir singing it? Why is the choir needed?

Read carefully Nicholas Hooper's explanation in the bit I posted one page ago, then close your eyes, and breathe, the answers will come by themselves.

SwedishSkinJer
July 8th, 2009, 10:44 am
That's essentially what HBP is, though: a set-up for the Deathly Hallows.

Klaus, that's simply their opinion. Many other reviews said the pacing was perfect, and it was easy to follow.

lcbaseball22
July 8th, 2009, 10:50 am

But major plot points slip by (we’re still wondering what a horcrux is exactly!), big doings seem rushed and more everyday goings on extended. Do we really need another game of Quidditch to lighten the mood, when a destiny of doom and gloom is supposed to be closing in? Given the much-trailered destruction in London that opens the film, it seems odd that the consequences of that or anything else in the outside world don’t rate a mention.

My fears came true...

It seems they didn't pay enough attention. Apparently isn't a book reader. But you know what? I really could care less if others understand it. Many reviews have said if you haven't followed the series from the start you'll be lost...one review said it's more like being dropped in the middle of the ocean than just thrown in the deep end :lol: But it's the 6th film in a SERIES, honestly what do you expect? Read the books! :p

Regardless, it's still a 3/5 (average)...not exactly "negative" :) Guys, have we seen anything LESS than a 3/5?! I don't think we have :wow:

Pearl_Took
July 8th, 2009, 10:55 am

Klaus, you're a dear :) but I succumbed and read it. :D I have no self-control. :lol:

That Empire review confirms what I suspected would be the case with HBP ... the reappearance of Quidditch, to help 'lighten the mood', seems off-kilter to some.

It's not the end of the world though. :) And at least there's no Quidditch in DH. :lol:

If the professional critics generally like the film, then :tu:

And 'more thoughtful' than your average summer blockbuster is a bonus, as far as I'm concerned. :agree:

SwedishSkinJer
July 8th, 2009, 10:56 am
I don't mind Quidditch at all. The books aren't all darkness, and there are lighter moments in which they try to live in a world that's PROGRESSIVELY becoming darker. It doesn't have to be constant chaos and action.

lcbaseball22
July 8th, 2009, 11:00 am
Another review- http://www.sound-screen.co.uk/index.php/2009/07/harry-potter-the-half-blood-prince-the-review/

Can't really tell what score they'd give it but it seems positive:

Potter fans, if they can be less slavish to the books, will be delighted and moved. Who needs robots that change into cars anyway?

SwedishSkinJer
July 8th, 2009, 11:04 am
New review --- 6/10

http://www.inthenews.co.uk/entertainment/film/harry-potter-and-half-blood-prince-the-first-review-$1309874.htm

lcbaseball22
July 8th, 2009, 11:10 am
New review --- 6/10

http://www.inthenews.co.uk/entertainment/film/harry-potter-and-half-blood-prince-the-first-review-$1309874.htm

Hmm, there are quite a few that have this complaint about too much romance but I think it sounds fairly well balanced (just a tad skewed?)

So is it any good?

Have a glance around the cinema after around 100 minutes of this lengthy and lovelorn sixth Potter - while you're likely to be faced with an auditorium full of dimly lit but captivated faces, you might also note a rising impatience, as audience members under 13 or over 18 tut impatiently: "Alright, alright, it's tough being a teenager in love - can we get back to the action, please?"

I don't think this will be too much of a factor for me as I really enjoy romantic comedies...

But it's not meant to be a rom-com, I hope the more important stuff is given enough focus as well...this is a slight fear :shrug:

Pearl_Took
July 8th, 2009, 11:11 am
I don't mind Quidditch at all. The books aren't all darkness, and there are lighter moments in which they try to live in a world that's PROGRESSIVELY becoming darker. It doesn't have to be constant chaos and action.

No, it doesn't, and I agree with you ... but the Empire review's point that the darker events in the Muggle world outside are not really touched on again for the duration of the film.

Which is a bit :shrug: But, arguably, the book does that too. :whistle: At any rate, it's not like some huge issue that will ruin the film or anything. :)

SwedishSkinJer
July 8th, 2009, 11:11 am
Even the more mixed reviews have agreed that the cave scene is fantastic.

lcbaseball22
July 8th, 2009, 11:19 am
This sounds like a really great date movie...if only I had a girlfriend :sigh: Instead I'll be seeing the film by myself on opening night :lol: :p

SwedishSkinJer
July 8th, 2009, 11:22 am
Another 3/5:

http://entertainment.uk.msn.com/movies/reviews/article.aspx?cp-documentid=148436267

lcbaseball22
July 8th, 2009, 11:23 am
Once again, have we seen any reviews that have been less than a 3/5? I can't recall any... :hmm:

Pearl_Took
July 8th, 2009, 11:32 am
Guys, has this one been posted yet? Apologies if so:

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117940610.html?categoryid=31&cs=1

That all sounds really good to me, actually. :agree:

Although I liked OotP, I take the point that Yates's style was somewhat prosaic in that film.

Anyhow, that's all old hat now. What made me cheer in the Variety review was THIS:

Otherwise, the film is clear-headed and clean-lined; now that he's at home with the material, Yates has made a "Potter" picture that is less desperate to please than any of its predecessors, itself a sign of series maturity.

This is music to my ears! :clap:

David, seems like you've done it. :agree:

lcbaseball22
July 8th, 2009, 11:33 am
Yes, it has Pearl...a few days ago. Anyways, the MSN review above, again someone who apparently didn't pay enough attention... :whistle:

Who is the Half-Blood Prince? What’s the box? Where are the Horcruxes? Is Snape good or evil? Will Hermione finally get it on with Ron? Don’t expect any of these questions to be answered. Potter 6 is actually just a teasing set-up to Deathly Hallows’ epic two-movie conclusion

The first question at least SHOULD have been answered, we've had it confirmed, haven't we? However glossed over the sub-plot was, we've heard that Snape does indeed say "I am the Half Blood Prince" They are right on the rest though...HBP is just major cliffhangers! :lol: :p

ThaiHPFan
July 8th, 2009, 11:38 am
Unfortunately the choir scene has been given the axe.
Nicholas Hooper was disappointed too.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/herocomplex/2009/07/harry-potter-countdown-composer-nicholas-hoopers-simpler-style.html

DM: Can you elaborate on what the idea was behind the original choir-and-drums piece you first wrote? [Again, spoilers if you haven't read the book.]

NH: David wanted to film this school choir, the Hogwarts school choir, having a choir practice when all this evil stuff at the end of the film was going on in the background. It would have played during an interim moment -- after the events in the cave and before the Death Eaters' arrival at Hogwarts. Originally, there was this gap and the idea was that it should be this build-up for Draco to Dumbledore’s death. It had almost a Garden of Gethsemane feel to it. But eventually, the thinking became that injecting scenes with a choir would have held up the climax. Now, the film glides straightaway from the cave to the end, which I think was the right decision. The music itself, however, can still be heard during the credits of the film, and it’s also on the soundtrack.

This definitely sucks! I hoped to hear 'In Noctem' during the movie, and I wanted some minute of breath between the cave and the tower, and in noctem was perfect.
However, I can see their point, but I'm rather disappointed nonetheless.

I'm really disappointed by this. IMO, "In Noctem" is the best track of HBP score and it's just perfect for the montage right before the tower scene (I get chills just from reading this scene in the leaked script).

This is also a bit confusing. So does that mean we jump straight from the cave to the tower scene? If so, how are they going to explain about how the DEs manage to enter Hogwarts? I hope they at least show Draco opening the cabinet though.

SwedishSkinJer
July 8th, 2009, 11:39 am
I'm really disappointed by this. IMO, "In Noctem" is the best track of HBP score and it's just perfect for the montage right before the tower scene (I get chills just from reading this scene in the leaked script).

This is also a bit confusing. So does that mean we jump straight from the cave to the tower scene? If so, how are they going to explain about how the DEs manage to enter Hogwarts? I hope they at least show Draco opening the cabinet though.

Where is the leaked script at for this?

Hes
July 8th, 2009, 11:42 am
Talking about (and linking to leaked scripts not given out by an official source) is illegal and any user doing it will be warned and forum banned from Muggle Studies for two weeks.

lcbaseball22
July 8th, 2009, 11:43 am
Where is the leaked script at for this?

You'll find it everything on the film (up to the last update) right here- http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=117938

And here is that bit of script :)

124 EXT. ENTRANCE/CAVE

Harry and Dumbledore emerge from the cave. Dumbledore, pale and weak, scans the stars wearily, leans heavily on Harry.

HARRY
Don't worry, sir. We're nearly there.

DUMBLEDORE
I am not worried, Harry. I am with you.

125 INT. GREAT HALL - SAME TIME - NIGHT

We HOLD on the gothic glass of the main window. Ambient light, ominous and cool, plays across its shimmering surface. Flitwick, arms flowing gracefully, conducts a group of FIFTH YEARS, looks up toward the window, eyes the pulsating light.

126 EXT. COURTYARD - SAME TIME - NIGHT

McGonagall stands in the courtyard as the CHOIR DRIFTS FAINTLY on the night air. She glances up to the sky, a curious expression on her face, then spies a pair of First Years straggling across the courtyard.

PROFESSOR MCGONAGALL
To your Houses. No dawdling.

As they scuttle off, McGonagall looks back to the sky.
A VORTEX of CLOUDS swirls eerily in on itself.

We PULL BACK...

127 INT. WINDOW - CASTLE - SAME TIME - NIGHT

...out of the window, its glass prickling with ambient light, and find Snape standing silently, staring at the gathering storm, his expression inscrutable. The choir a murmur.

128 INT. COMMON ROOM - SAME TIME - NIGHT

Darker than usual. The fire muted. Ron and Hermione sit together. Silent. Glance toward the window, the sky beyond.

129 INT. HOSPITAL WING - SAME TIME - NIGHT

Draco's face, skin glimmering with the light crawling across the ceiling above him. He stares, unblinking, swings out of the bed. Bare feet--Draco's--drop to the tiles.

130 INT. CORRIDOR - MOMENT LATER - NIGHT

The choir echoes eerily. SIXTH YEARS, little more than SHADOWS, hang out, giggling in dark corners. Malfoy glides by in his bare feet. Unnoticed. A ghost.

131 INT. ROOM OF REQUIREMENT - MOMENTS LATER - NIGHT

Dense with shadow. Strange slashes of light. Malfoy, a shadow within shadows, pulls the tapestry, from the Vanishing Cabinet, steps back...

He stares at the monolith before him, lifts his wand and begins to CHANT eerily. The surface of the cabinet glimmers, atremble in the ambient light. Almost alive. Then he stops. Looking back, his eyes haunted, he slips away.

Light plays within the cabinet. Movement. Shadows flicker within, coalesce. We ease up, reveal...

Bellatrix. Greyback. And a few friends. Bellatrix steps into the light. Glances around. Grins.

Moshi
July 8th, 2009, 11:43 am
I saw this review at ICM.

http://movies.ign.com/articles/100/1001519p2.html

SwedishSkinJer
July 8th, 2009, 11:44 am
Talking about (and linking to leaked scripts) is illegal and any user doing it will be warned and forum banned from Muggle Studies for two weeks.

We were just talking about the portion of the original script that's already on a forum sticky, but I couldn't find it

lcbaseball22
July 8th, 2009, 11:45 am
Talking about (and linking to leaked scripts) is illegal and any user doing it will be warned and forum banned from Muggle Studies for two weeks.

We've posted these many many times before and there's never been any issues (I would hope we don't now, all of a sudden :relax:)

Besides, they are already in the list and have been for many many months :) And they are official, been confirmed many times over.

Hes
July 8th, 2009, 11:47 am
I am giving a general reminder here.

SwedishSkinJer
July 8th, 2009, 11:47 am
Man, that scene sounds so awesome. Why did they have to cut it?

lcbaseball22
July 8th, 2009, 11:49 am
Man, that scene sounds so awesome. Why did they have to cut it?

Once again, they didn't...just the choir bit ;)

so like just this

125 INT. GREAT HALL - SAME TIME - NIGHT

We HOLD on the gothic glass of the main window. Ambient light, ominous and cool, plays across its shimmering surface. Flitwick, arms flowing gracefully, conducts a group of FIFTH YEARS, looks up toward the window, eyes the pulsating light

Actually, I'm not even sure if that is cut...perhaps it's just the song that would have been playing during that script portion :hmm:

SwedishSkinJer
July 8th, 2009, 11:52 am
First negative review:

http://www.sfx.co.uk/page/sfx?entry=film_review_harry_potter_and

lcbaseball22
July 8th, 2009, 11:54 am
First negative review:

http://www.sfx.co.uk/page/sfx?entry=film_review_harry_potter_and

Err, ok...I'd like to know why people are classifying 3/5 as "negative"? :err:

2.5/5 woud be "average" in my book...so a 3 is slightly better than average, it's still a pretty good rating :p

SwedishSkinJer
July 8th, 2009, 11:55 am
Well, RottenTomatoes counted the review I just submitted as negative.

The review is largely negative, too.

lcbaseball22
July 8th, 2009, 11:57 am
Well, RottenTomatoes counted the review I just submitted as negative.

The review is largely negative, too.

Oh, I see...I just refreshed the RT page. Hmm, that's very odd (3/5 is positive) :huh: They haven't counted it yet though, score is still 100

SwedishSkinJer
July 8th, 2009, 11:58 am
RottenTomatoes usually judges on the overall content of the review, not necessarily just the rating. This 3/5 review sounded quite negative, so it's been counted as a negative. Lots of reviews are saying that the romance becomes too much.

Pearl_Took
July 8th, 2009, 12:02 pm
RottenTomatoes usually judges on the overall content of the review, not necessarily just the rating. This 3/5 review sounded quite negative, so it's been counted as a negative. Lots of reviews are saying that the romance becomes too much.

This really is a book fan versus mainstream audience situation, IMO. :cool:

Book fans will be pleased that the film includes as much of the book's romances as possible, whereas non-book people will be going, 'so get on with the story already'. :lol:

It's all to do with differences in perception, I think.

lcbaseball22
July 8th, 2009, 12:03 pm
RottenTomatoes usually judges on the overall content of the review, not necessarily just the rating. This 3/5 review sounded quite negative, so it's been counted as a negative

Wow, well this right here is enough for me to automatically disregard their rating...they are so completely wrong, this is utter non-sense:

It’s an odd choice to target a teen audience when surely that’s the one demographic for which the terminally unhip Harry Potter is bound to be a turn-off

:no: Uhm no, not surely...Teens/20's ARE the main HP demographic :err: I suppose this is another idiot who thinks it is a children's book :relax:

Pearl_Took
July 8th, 2009, 12:07 pm
Wow, well this right here is enough for me to automatically disregard their rating...they are so completely wrong, this is utter non-sense

Wrong about what, in what sense? :hmm:

How can you judge their rather negative review as 'nonsense' until you've seen the film for yourself, to see whether you like it or not?

Maybe there is too much romance in the film, which gets in the way of developing the plot further.

I can't say until I've seen the film myself, of course. :)

And I am not wildly picky about my HP films anyway. I've always enjoyed the Potter films, especially the last three, and I fully expect to enjoy this one too.

lcbaseball22
July 8th, 2009, 12:12 pm
Wrong about what, in what sense? :hmm:

How can you judge their rather negative review as 'nonsense' until you've seen the film for yourself, to see whether you like it or not?

:huh: I thought it was obvious...I quoted what they are wrong about. That they would think it odd to target a teen audience is ridic when these later books are geared to young adults afterall. They clearly don't know what they are talking about, so I'm dismissing their entire review...

Lots of reviews are saying that the romance becomes too much

Yeah, I've noted that too...it's a slight fear of mine as I stated earlier :scared: But I don't think it sounds hugely unblanced, just a tad (if any) :)

Pearl_Took
July 8th, 2009, 12:19 pm
I think it's quite obvious...I quoted what they are wrong about.

Er, no, it wasn't that obvious to me which bit you were unhappy about :huh:, but I see that you have now edited your post to make the point clearer. :)

That they would think it odd to target a teen audience is ridic when these later books are geared to young adults afterall.

That is very odd. You'd think SFX, of all people, would be more clued-up.

They clearly don't know what they are talking about, so I'm dismissing their entire review...

Like this bit? :whistle:

Yates also gives the film a beautiful sheen, with an atmospheric, impressionistic visual style, in which the magic has never seemed so real and gritty. Each frame of the movie is exquisitely composed, and he brings out the best set of performances from the franchise’s child stars so far.

Not everything in their review is negative. :cool:

Yeah, I've noted that too...it's a slight fear of mine as I stated earlier :scared:

I'm not too worried about it ... the book had plenty of snogging, after all. :yuhup:

Hes
July 8th, 2009, 12:21 pm
You may disagree with a review and reviewer, however keep in mind it's their opinion so criticise it in a respectful way.

lcbaseball22
July 8th, 2009, 12:23 pm
I'm not too worried about it ... the book had plenty of snogging, after all. :yuhup:

Oh, I know. :lol: And it doesn't bother me as it does some guys. I know quite a few kinda hate HBP cause of all the lovey dovey stuff. But I don't anticipate this being much of a problem for me, as you see Romantic Comedies and/or "chick flicks" are a guilty pleasure of mine :p

I actaully think this book might be my favorite and I really enjoyed all the comedy and romance...I didn't feel it was too much :shrug:

However, I don't want it to engulf or bog down the film. If I want to see a Rom-Com, I'll check out a Rom-Com. As important as the relationship stuff is, there are also very important sub-plots that need development and I really hope depth was not sacrificed here :whistle:

And I of course wouldn't mind seeing some action either. Sectumsempra was (not sure now) my most anticipated scene. Also looking forward to the Cave and the other dark stuff. I know, seems very sterotypical guy there :p Comedies are actually my favorite genre overall, but I like to indulge in action flicks at times, a good balance is what I really desire and hopefully is what the film crew has provided us with.

SwedishSkinJer
July 8th, 2009, 12:23 pm
Judge the film for yourself. I don't take the opinions of reviewers. See the film for yourself and you decide if you like it or not, not the old men sitting at their computers sipping at their Scotch while writing good reviews for horrible movies, and vice versa. Honestly, their opinion is no more valid than your own, and some of my favorite films weren't exactly critically acclaimed.

ThaiHPFan
July 8th, 2009, 12:31 pm
I've said this before, but it's kinda disappointing to see that the complaint all the reviews (even the positive ones) seem to have in common is the amount of romance scenes. It's not really a problem Yates and Kloves can't fix if they want too.

Then again, the movie seems be far better than what I expected after watching OOTP, and I really can't wait. :)

Pearl_Took
July 8th, 2009, 12:46 pm
It's not really a problem Yates and Kloves can't fix if they want too.

Well, they could have chosen to cut down on the romance angle, of course. :) Just because something is in the book doesn't mean it has to be on screen. :cool:

Once I've seen the film, I will be able to decide whether or not I think the focus on the romance was a good call on the film-makers' part. :)

Actually, I think the hormones and teenage angst are a part of the saga, and should not have been entirely forgotten. :lol:

decarus
July 8th, 2009, 12:50 pm
Aaaand a new Bella/Grayback poster!

http://www.mugglehub.com/media/uploads/us-wallpaper2-1280x1024-1246406747.jpg
Do you think that is the diadem on the bust at bellatrix's elbow? I so want to see the diadem in the film. They delayed the film all this time they should have snuck it in somewhere.

I don't read reviews because really reviewers are just some guy. I have been reading your guys reviews of their reviews and they seem overall positive. That's nice.

lcbaseball22
July 8th, 2009, 12:58 pm
Here is an article that explains the PG issue pretty well...as we discussed a few pages back:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118005716.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

After two recent PG-13 outings, the latest "Harry Potter" film is back to PG territory -- so is that good news for Warner Bros.?

Success is virtually guaranteed for "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince," which bows day and date globally July 15; the only question is how much success. And despite conventional wisdom that PG is a more family-friendly rating, the last PG film -- 2004's "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban," the third in the series -- was the lowest grossing of the five domestically with $249 million.

I'm not sure how sound this analysis is but they might be right. As I said, PG films do tend to gross less in general...

B.O. numbers climbed for the fourth and fifth editions, which were rated PG-13: The 2005 "Goblet of Fire" scored $290 million, and the 2007 "Order of the Phoenix" tallied $292 million domestically.

I've highlighted what was essentially my point about PG vs. PG-13, this does happen...my friends for one are proof, they are sadly no longer going to see the film due to the rating. You may think this sounds ridiculous but for many this is the case, it's insulting and a "turn off"
There's little question that some parents would feel more comfortable OK'ing a trip to see a film rated PG rather than PG-13. But by this point, "Harry Potter" is a known commodity. Obviously, parents feel safe entrusting their kids to Hogwarts films,

...and the PG-13 has a bonus of indicating that a film is cool and slightly more grown-up. Sometimes, a studio prefers a PG-13 rating because it will draw teenagers. A PG rating can be viewed by teens as too juvenile

Oh, it's good to have confirmation on this though...as we suspected:

Neither the studio nor the filmmakers went into the ratings process with the intention of securing a PG rating for "Half-Blood Prince," insiders said. Rather, the ratings board determined that nothing depicted on the screen warranted the more restrictive PG-13 designation.

"Half-Blood Prince" is no lighter in tone than the previous two films, according to early reviews.

Hmm, perhaps if I tell them that and reassure them that it's no less mature than the last two I can convince them to go with me :hmm:

Noldus
July 8th, 2009, 1:07 pm
I've said this before, but it's kinda disappointing to see that the complaint all the reviews (even the positive ones) seem to have in common is the amount of romance scenes. It's not really a problem Yates and Kloves can't fix if they want too.

Yates and co. could have removed a lot of the romance in the editing-room if they wanted to. But I don't think they would. They chose to make a romantic comedy from the very beginning rather than focusing on important things to the main plot of the franchise such as the prophecy, Tom Riddle, the horcruxes and HBP. Yates cares about character developments and he seems to know them very well. Let's hope when the franchise is completed, Yates has given us some great films which is good at is own but also serve the franchise a comprehensive feeling.

9th_Wonder
July 8th, 2009, 1:14 pm
Do you think that is the diadem on the bust at bellatrix's elbow? I so want to see the diadem in the film. They delayed the film all this time they should have snuck it in somewhere.

I just see balding man with long hair and a full beard with some sort of ring on top of his head. If you're referring to the ring, I don't think that's the diadem. It would be nice to see them sneak in details like that. They managed to include Ginny's Pygmy Puff which is nice.

JustMeWayne
July 8th, 2009, 1:24 pm
I just see balding man with long hair and a full beard with some sort of ring on top of his head. If you're referring to the ring, I don't think that's the diadem. It would be nice to see them sneak in details like that. They managed to include Ginny's Pygmy Puff which is nice.

when i first looked at that picture, i also realised that that could be the diadem.
but when u said that it was a balding man, i looked at it again, and yeah!
it does look like a man with neck-length hair.
but the man doesnt look real. im quite sure its a bust, the whole sculpture is white too.
but the diadem doesnt really fit the description in the book, it looks more like fleur's tiara...
but since when has the movies paid attention to tiny details?
an ugly wooden tiara wont look good on screen, wont it?

9th_Wonder
July 8th, 2009, 1:28 pm
when i first looked at that picture, i also realised that that could be the diadem.
but when u said that it was a balding man, i looked at it again, and yeah!
it does look like a man with neck-length hair.
but the man doesnt look real. im quite sure its a bust, the whole sculpture is white too.
but the diadem doesnt really fit the description in the book, it looks more like fleur's tiara...
but since when has the movies paid attention to tiny details?
an ugly wooden tiara wont look good on screen, wont it?

Oh yeah, lol the man is definitely not real. It's a bust. But yes, I expect the diadem to be slightly bigger and more noticeable.

JustMeWayne
July 8th, 2009, 1:34 pm
Oh yeah, lol the man is definitely not real. It's a bust. But yes, I expect the diadem to be slightly bigger and more noticeable.
it shouldnt be that big - harry isnt supposed to notice it when he enters the RoR at all...
i read something about ginny hiding the DIADEM. is that true?
cuz they most likely would like to simplify things, or give ginny something more to do, as she really lacks presence in DH

9th_Wonder
July 8th, 2009, 1:41 pm
it shouldnt be that big - harry isnt supposed to notice it when he enters the RoR at all...
i read something about ginny hiding the DIADEM. is that true?
cuz they most likely would like to simplify things, or give ginny something more to do, as she really lacks presence in DH

The bust just has a ring on it's head. I expect the diadem to be a little more "flashy" for lack of a better word.

Hmm. That's an interesting thought, but I don't know. From what I've read so far they're sticking pretty close to canon for the DH movies. You never know though.

WhispWillow
July 8th, 2009, 1:44 pm
Am I hearing right in relation to this? I heard about this ages ago, but thought it was only a rumour and just read it in an article recently.

The decision to cut it because there is plenty of fighting in the last book is ridicolous imo. One of my favourite aspects of HBP was the climax at the end, and owes the battle to this. Kloves has overstepped the mark here imo. Realy annoyed about this.

ThaiHPFan
July 8th, 2009, 1:55 pm
With so many reviews out there, I'm wondering why Rottentomatoes has posted only a few of them on their site. I'd love to see how many positives and negatives there are in total.

SwedishSkinJer
July 8th, 2009, 2:04 pm
There is still kind of a battle at the end of this film, with the Death Eaters running through the castle, burning down Hagrid's hut, Harry vs Snape, etc.

harry5678
July 8th, 2009, 2:56 pm
Hmmm, i've heard talk about too much romance, and honestly, I think i'd be able to handle it. I mean what's so bad about having Romance in a film, I mean they can't honetly expect 2 minutes of Romance and the rest straight out story and action, Half-Blood Prince to me, seemed like the most normal school year (their wasn't a secret hidden stone in the castle, there's not a chamber of screts, no escaped convicts coming after Harry, there's no tri-wizard Tournament, and there's no Evil toad that forces tons and tons of rules) It seems basically to me, like Harry's having a normal year (for wizards) at Hogwarts, and I guess these critics can't except that, I mean it's like High-Schhool a bit, Love Triangles, Sports, and a little bit of cheating here and there, Only this has magic and wizardry thrown into the mix, as well as Harry learning the truth about Voldemort and what he's going to have to do, I don't think this Romance and stuff is going to bring the movie down for me, I think it's going to be a really fun experince to have for once some different stuff in a Harry Potter film. No matter how much the critics say that there's too much romance, it doesn't affect my opinion that this film looks to be the best yet.

GinnyPotter15
July 8th, 2009, 3:07 pm
It seems basically to me, like Harry's having a normal year (for wizards) at Hogwarts, and I guess these critics can't except that

I sort of get what you're saying, but isn't the whole point of Harry Potter that it's not normal? One of the biggest reasons that I enjoy HP this much is because it's not a typical high school cheerleaders and football players book/film. It's different, and it's supposed to stay different. And I don't mind the romance at all either, but if too much romance means there's a lot of cutting out important scenes between Dumbledore and Harry, and scenes of the past, then this is a problem. Of course, I am no one to judge for I haven't watched the movie, but that's also why I try not to listen to what critics say until I've seen the movie myself, after that I can agree or disagree.

TX_Grindelwald
July 8th, 2009, 3:14 pm
I'll have to wait until I see the film to decide where I truly stand on the romance. But I will say that Yates kind of makes me nervous. One of the first comments I remember him making on HBP was saying it's "sex, drugs, and rock n roll" or something like that. That made me extremely uneasy and leads me to believe that the darker aspects are going to be pushed to the side.

I'm a book fan but i've still never really been that big on romance in the books and I have been the same way with the movies. I just never seem to anticipate the kissing scenes like a lot of others seem to. But I do understand that some of it is important to character development.

But like I said, i'll wait until I see the film before I judge. But personally I would have preferred another memory or two in place of some of the romance they will be including.

I wouldn't really call Harry's 6th year normal either. When the wizarding world is finally fully at war it's hard to consider that normal. But I do get what the person who posted that was trying to say.

KlausBaudelaire
July 8th, 2009, 3:21 pm
I'm going to watch the movie on Sunday, during the Giffoni Film Festival Previews Day, and then you can shoot at me every question you need to ask.

GingerPeachy
July 8th, 2009, 3:28 pm
The bust just has a ring on it's head. I expect the diadem to be a little more "flashy" for lack of a better word.

I'm hoping it's going to be really beautiful...or something completely different and odd, just not like the Lovegoods' interpretation :p

CandyCane23049
July 8th, 2009, 3:53 pm
I can't believe 6 more day's. I never thought we would get this close.

BubbleSnake
July 8th, 2009, 4:09 pm

I don't read reviews because really reviewers are just some guy. I have been reading your guys reviews of their reviews and they seem overall positive. That's nice.

I'm leaning towards that IS the Diadem, I went and googled diadems, saw some ones that were actually the similar in size, I dont remember how it was described In the book, but if they changed it cant say I am suprised :P

Ohhh and this is my 1st post since I registered yesterday helllo pplz :lol:

Sacred_Memories
July 8th, 2009, 4:17 pm
^ Welcome to the forum, BubbleSnake.

Pearl_Took
July 8th, 2009, 4:19 pm
I'm going to watch the movie on Sunday, during the Giffoni Film Festival Previews Day, and then you can shoot at me every question you need to ask.

Cool! :tu:

KlausBaudelaire
July 8th, 2009, 4:43 pm
Cool! :tu:

Thank you! wait for a review on Monday morning :)
http://www.giffoniff.it/en/index.php

CandyCane23049
July 8th, 2009, 4:46 pm
Don't foret Emma tonioght on David Letterman's, 11:35 p.m EST.

Hottopic has saome new merchandise now. They have a couple of new Gryffindor shirt's and a hufflepuff shirt. Also they have sucker's that turn your mouth bloody red, bubblegum that turn's your mouth blue, and Bernoe Bott's every flavored bean.

CrazyMuggle
July 8th, 2009, 5:31 pm
One of the reviewers said Dumbledore was portrayed by Ian McKellan :lol:

So far lots of fantastic reviews that have only amped my excitement. It's only a week away now, folks.