Luna Lovegood - More than meets the eye?

Pages : [1] 2 3

ravstardeluxe
June 30th, 2003, 6:57 pm
Is there more to Luna Lovegood than is revealed? She was quirky, definitely hilarious, and evoked sympathy because she got bullied. But I just felt a bit miffed with the way she was just coming and going and blissfully ignornt of what's going on around her, don't you think?

Bee
June 30th, 2003, 8:51 pm
She REALLY had no purpose in this book whatsoever. I can't imagine JKR ever sticking a character that spacey in book 5 for no apparent reason. She's GOT to play a bigger part...

ellie
June 30th, 2003, 9:01 pm
Well, she helped get Harry's story published but I agree she must have a bigger part - perhaps in finding out more about the veil. Not sure if I trust her 100% though

Hpmons
June 30th, 2003, 9:01 pm
I thought that the bit near the end could be relavent to later books. Where she was saying that people sometimes stole her stuff; when she was talking to Harry.

Also, she saw someone die (was it said that it was her grandfather? I cant remember); so that may also be important. Dont forget, she was one of the six that went against the DEs near the end.

Sorting Hat's Songwriter
June 30th, 2003, 10:02 pm
Ok, anyone else going for Harry/Luna!!!! OK its absurd, but i REALLY loved her. I also agree that she is important. I wish Harry hadnt missed sorting in CoS, coz i reckon JK would have name dropped. She is very intriguing, and I was surprised when she went with them to MoM at the end. She saw her mother die by the way, it was an accident..... or did she have her memory modified.... Im sure we'll find out!!

Llopin
June 30th, 2003, 10:11 pm
Luna is very fanfiction-ish. It's the kind of character who appears of nowhere, never been mentioned, and plays a rather supporting role. I don't think she's a bad character, but she wasn't relevant to the plot. Sure, her father published that article, but that wasn't essential to the story. So I sincerely hope she develops and has a bigger role in the next books.

Dark Fallen Pride
June 30th, 2003, 10:24 pm
I honestly think she was just listening and noticing whats around her... I often come off as blissfully ignornt of what's going on around me but I can recall many conversations from fellow students that I shouldn't have heard when I look ignorant of whats going on around me because I am listening (sorry but it seems as if many people are judging her without knowing what she is about and this is what I think she is about)...well now I just sound dorky but its the truth I mean there are all types of different people in this world and JK has givin us one that I belive is a good and on Dumbledore's side person and I think she will become a bigger part in the books to come and I think she played a pretty important role in OotP
there I just had to get my 2cents in.

Zen
June 30th, 2003, 11:20 pm
I get the feeling that there will be a Harry/Luna relationship.

Look here for the stag and the unicorn www.alchemywebsite.com/lambjrny.html

also note the lions and the wolf and dog

PennstateboyCM
June 30th, 2003, 11:23 pm
I think so too but i also think that she will get blown off bye Harry who will go for ginny!

Crashcatto
July 1st, 2003, 12:02 am
I hope she does. I mean all she eally added to the story was having Harry's story published, which was important, but other than that, just another student really. She does seem to fancy Harry and ROn though...

Cheetah
July 1st, 2003, 12:06 am
I simply loved Luna. I think she was one of the very best characters in this installment. She will probably play a much, or just bigger role, or else Jo wouldnt give her so much space here. And Harry seemed closer to her by the end of the book than to any of his other friends.

dorcasderr
July 1st, 2003, 12:12 am
She was actually relevant in helping at the end. She was the one who got the ones who couldn't see them seated on the thestrals, and she wasn't a detriment in the dealings in the Ministry of Magic either. She was also a sympathetic ear when Harry needed one. I think she will be more important in future books. It's good, also, to get to know more students from the other houses.

BaronVertigo
July 1st, 2003, 12:13 am
First off, I enjoyed Luna. She's one of those "goofy" friends that people just seem to have. You know, everyone's got at least one friend who's.....different like that.
Obviously, she's also an accomplished witch. She was one of The Six (yes, capital letters). Six children that can hold their own outnumbered 2-1 by not only adult mages but adult mages that use Unforgivable Curses on children and anyone else.
Also, remember, just because she's a bit.....spacey....dingy, whatever, doesn't mean she's not intelligent. She's in Ravenclaw where the "smart ones" go. If she didn't have intelligence she wouldn't be in that House to begin with.
As for what will happen with her, I've got a strong feeling that the next Harry Potter book might be named "Harry Potter and the Veil Between the Worlds" or "and the Veil of the Dead".
I see JK keeping her around. She's interesting.

MadMagic
July 1st, 2003, 12:52 am
I thought she was great and I definately don't think she is pointless. She was able to connect with Harry in a way that no one else could. She could see the Thestrals when they arrived and in the end she was able to give Harry some encouragement about what lay beyond the veil. I think that we are in for some surprises where she is concerned. I don't think that she is a clueless as she appears.

pineapple
July 1st, 2003, 1:33 am
She helped Harry out a lot. They have developed a sort or relashionship that Harry doesn't have with ron or Hermionie. Both Harry and Luna can see the Thestrals, and in their own ways, they are both outsiders. I think a friendship will grow between the two...I'm not sure about a romantic relashionship though....

But I do think that she'll play a bigger role in the next books. Luna's part in OotP was setting us up for her presence in the future books, getting us aquainted with her, etc.

animagus1369
July 1st, 2003, 3:21 am
I think one of the best things (and perhaps most important things) about Luna is that she makes Harry feel more "normal." Given what he's forever going through with the opinions of the other students at Hogwarts, someone who keeps him feeling part of things no matter what weird things happen to him has got to be a major asset in his next two years!

You-Know-Who
July 1st, 2003, 8:59 am
Luna Lovegood - More than meets the eye?

It's Transformers - More then meets the eye ;)

XanderTheMighty
July 1st, 2003, 11:34 am
I loved the character of Luna Lovegood. She was like those people who talk only when they have something to say and it never seems very important... but I think that the things she says are important and that she has or will have info that many characters need to know. I am positive that we will see Luna again and I'd be dissapointed if we did not.

jmk623
July 1st, 2003, 5:03 pm
Luna and Harry have a way of understanding things that others can't. They could both see the threstals and both seen death. And Luna is the only one that Harry doesn't seem to be bother with on talking about Sirius.
I believe that Luna will have a bigger role in future books. Luna and Harry's understanding seems to deep to end it all in OotP.

ravstardeluxe
July 1st, 2003, 5:05 pm
I love Luna. She was bloody hilarious and I'd be real upset if JK didn't expand on her character in future books. I'm pretty sure she will though because it was obvious that in this book she was pretty much a set up.

dantares
July 1st, 2003, 6:27 pm
I thought she was a meaniful character. That's one very good thread talking about how Luna keep losing her things but they will all come back in the end so she will just wait for the better. And she and Harry have lots in common.

phoenixsong
July 2nd, 2003, 8:01 pm
I also really liked Luna, and thought there was more than meets the eye. Does anybody else think that she might be a seer? She has big, bulgy eyes like Trelawney's, and her name connects her to Lunatics, who experience divine frenzy. Plus, her last name, Lovegood, connects her to the force which Lily used to save Harry.

rons-lover
July 3rd, 2003, 6:14 am
Luna played fairly important roles. She got through to Harry when no one else could, relating to him on Sirius. He didn't get mad at her, he felt comfort with her. It is obvious they will develop a good friendship, probrably not love, but a deep friendship.

Luna also made him feel more comfort in the school, knowing someone else may more crazy then himself. hehe

And other things which have been allready pointed out.!

I LOVE LUNA.! She reminds me of myself.! :D

hermione_twin
July 3rd, 2003, 9:05 am
I think later in the books they might get it on like maybe become g/friends and b/friend, if ya know what i mean!!

hermione_twin
July 3rd, 2003, 9:07 am
and i love luna's personality, she rox so i totaly think harry might get weird feelins for her i hope jk Rowling makes them a couple

hermione_twin
July 3rd, 2003, 9:17 am
so..........

MoodyMad
July 3rd, 2003, 6:11 pm
Sure she'll have a bigger part, chapter 10 was about her, mind you.
And thought she's a bit cool, loony but cool...

Pucko
July 3rd, 2003, 7:02 pm
i loved Luna...and I cried at the end when she said people took her stuff and that her mother died...i know she will play a bigger part in the later books, and that the others will learn something important about life from her...somehow i can't see harry and luna as boy+girlfriend, but they will probbaly be close friends...
and there is definitely more to Luna than meets the eye...she knows more than she chooses to reveal

dudemanthing
July 4th, 2003, 11:35 pm
You know, i have a weird feeling about Luna...

Maybe she's a werewolf. Lunar- Luna get it?

The term "Loony" is used a little too often. Maybe she was the victim of an experiment gone wrong and is a werewolf, maybe that'll explain her knowledge of weird magical creatures

Prosperine
July 5th, 2003, 5:48 am
They mention that her mom died because she did experiments with magic- I've also heard people talkign rumors about the next book and important pieces of magic such as a green flame etc.... maybe whatever experiments Luna's mother was involved in will be helpful to Harry- it also mentions that you can see thestrals if you see someone die- so if Luna saw what killed her mother (and she was 9 at the time) then she might have some knowledge which will prove very helpful to harry later on

Weatherby
July 5th, 2003, 6:32 pm
There is definitely something to Luna.
I don't think she's insane but her appearance of being out of it strikes me as put-on somehow. I don't mean anything negative but she's interesting.

Mutant for Hire
July 5th, 2003, 6:54 pm
I suspect, like many others, that Luna's mother was an Unspeakable who did experiments in the Department of Mysteries. Her mother was a genius and I think that for all that Luna is disconnected from reality, that she is brilliant as well in magic, and possibly has her mother's gift for experimentation as well. It was why the Sorting Hat put her in Ravenclaw.

Hermione, in magical terms, strikes me as very much a brilliant engineer. She's very capable of working complex spells within the known bounds of magical phenomena. It's not at all clear whether Hermione is actually all that inventive or original when it comes to pushing the bounds of magic. She got the idea of the Galleons from the Death Mark, and she just used straightforward Protean Magic to keep all the coins aligned.

Luna strikes me as more the magical equivalent of the mad scientist, without the cackling or desire to take over the world. I think she's going to drive Hermione nuts in the next two books inventing spells that aren't written down anywhere and might even go against what Hermione has been taught about magic. Hermione is a master of known magic, but Luna's going to be the type who dips into the unknown and pulls out surprises for the others now and then. Not predictably or reliably, mind you.

Who knows, she might even help cure Neville's parents. That would win her Neville's devotion for life, I figure.

Cat
July 5th, 2003, 7:06 pm
Originally posted by dudemanthing (original post (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?postid=421675#post421675))
You know, i have a weird feeling about Luna...

Maybe she's a werewolf. Lunar- Luna get it?

The term "Loony" is used a little too often. Maybe she was the victim of an experiment gone wrong and is a werewolf, maybe that'll explain her knowledge of weird magical creatures

It seems to me that every fan fiction writer who wants to create a female werewolf will undoubtedly name her Luna. They always seem to think it's really clever and witty. It's not really. It's a bit of a crud pun, if they'll excuse me for saying so.

Luna sounds like 'loony'. But it's also worth noting where the word 'loony' or 'lunatic' came from. It was once thought (and still is) that the moon has the ability to drive you mad. Luna is probably named with the moon in mind, but that doesn't mean that once a month she grows excessive body hair and a tail.

Mirkwood
July 5th, 2003, 7:42 pm
Yes, Luna's role is going to be bigger. Given the profession of her father and that her most likely works for the ministry.
Also she seems to have a lot of special type of information that may be useful.

whizbang121
July 6th, 2003, 4:41 am
Originally posted by phoenixsong (original post (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?postid=414459#post414459))
I also really liked Luna, and thought there was more than meets the eye. Does anybody else think that she might be a seer? She has big, bulgy eyes like Trelawney's, and her name connects her to Lunatics, who experience divine frenzy. Plus, her last name, Lovegood, connects her to the force which Lily used to save Harry.

OOOooo Phoenixsong!
Excellent point about Lily. That should open up some new discussions considering the way JKR is with names. Is it possible to quote your post in a different thread? Specifically, the significance of names thread.

The Lovegood family was mentioned in previous books, but not Luna specifically..

And I do think she's a seer. She's psychic, sensitive, and somewhat zen. And she knows stuff. Stuff that Harry feels the effects of but has no understanding of. She connects and communicates with Harry on levels no one else can even imagine exist, least of all Hermione. She is an advanced soul and a profoundly aware being. I think she has a shine on for Ron, but maybe it's just those hormones. Very distracting. Luna may well be Harry's soul mate.

PrtVeela
July 6th, 2003, 5:21 am
Yeah I def. agree with you all who think she is a seer...she feels things on levals that not many other people do, I believe Harry realizes that there is something more too, and that he just cannot pin point it.

and i don't think anyone can quite pin point it, and if people cannot name something, well then they automatically think there is something wrong, henceforth the name "looney" came about.

Camo
July 6th, 2003, 5:31 am
Originally posted by Mutant for Hire (original post (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?postid=424387#post424387))

Luna strikes me as more the magical equivalent of the mad scientist, without the cackling or desire to take over the world.
Luna's going to be the type who dips into the unknown and pulls out surprises for the others now and then. Not predictably or reliably, mind you.

This is also the way i see her. She is interested in the unorthodox things and also seems to know a bit about death, judging by her knowledge of the room with the curtain with the whispers (the Death Room? i think).

She is definately a most interesting character, one that has many layers of interesting things below her laid back surface and i hope we see more of her.

ravstardeluxe
July 6th, 2003, 4:49 pm
She doesn't seem to be overawed either by the fact that her father owns whatever paper it was. She was just so cool, calm and collected. Even when she was with Harry and co. and they were going to the Ministry she was just so relaxed about it all. It seemed as though nothing could shock her at all.

Also, any ideas why that eagle was perched on her head? Is that a clue for something that could happen in book 6 or 7?

marspeach
July 6th, 2003, 5:17 pm
Luna had the eagle on her head because it is Ravenclaw's animal and Ravenclaw was in the Quidditch match. Just like when she had the lion for Gryffindor vs. Slytherin.

ravstardeluxe
July 6th, 2003, 5:32 pm
Oh God, of course! I thought she was just being wierd again.

Mutant for Hire
July 6th, 2003, 5:52 pm
Originally posted by ravstardeluxe (original post (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?postid=427596#post427596))
Oh God, of course! I thought she was just being wierd again.

You mean wearing an eagle on your head isn't weird??? :)

Still, the fact that she likely did those creations by herself indicates that she's probably a very good witch. She is only a fourth year, remember.

ravstardeluxe
July 6th, 2003, 5:55 pm
Of course it's wierd! But at least it makes sense now.

dudemanthing
July 6th, 2003, 7:12 pm
A seer, hmm...., i never thought of that...

I guess i should have thought of that before i posted that werewolf thing....

Yeah, i also think that she seems to be seer material. She does have an extraordinary sense of magical creatures and she also reads runes.

HA! Did you think of that! She reads runes!!!

neuphoria
July 6th, 2003, 8:30 pm
well even though she's so spacey and out of it a lot, she still must be really smart since she's in ravenclaw. i hope she'll play a bigger part in the next few books!

whizbang121
July 7th, 2003, 5:34 am
why do some of you think that Lune is spacey and out of it? She is profoundly aware of much more than the rest of the characters. She's very self contained and doesn't react to external activities. She rather observes them. Except for Ron, she reacts a bit to Ron.

flash8784
July 7th, 2003, 5:54 am
Originally posted by whizbang121 (original post (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?postid=425911#post425911))

The Lovegood family was mentioned in previous books, but not Luna specifically..

They are mentioned in book 4 as they are going for the portkey to the Quidditch world cup. This means that she lives in a neighborhood near the Weasleys!! The fact that her family is mentioned in book 4 is too much foreshadowing for me to think that she won't end up being extremely important in the future. Especially since she lives so close to Ron.

I know she kind of annoyed me towards the beginning, but then I felt that she was just unique and that she had to be in Ravenclaw for a reason. (speaking of ravenclaw, does anyone know who the ravenclaw head of house is? I can't find anything on it for the life of me and was just wondering.)

Phoenix_Fawkes
July 7th, 2003, 7:25 am
She showed harry alot in book 5 she has a purpose! She kinda made harry feel not as dumb and kinda cheered him up after sirius died. But she will play a huge role im sure in book 6 or book 7 if not 6 or both!

Daveydee
July 7th, 2003, 8:17 am
Originally posted by whizbang121

why do some of you think that Lune is spacey and out of it? She is profoundly aware of much more than the rest of the characters.

Luna gives an impression of being 'spaced out' or on 'another planet' most of the time. And I agree that she does have knowledge of certain things that are, or will become, of vital importance.

But I think the whole point about Luna is that, despite this having this knowledge, she quite patently is NOT aware of the importance or relevance of it. That, I think, is the endearing thing about her.

whizbang121
July 7th, 2003, 5:15 pm
Originally posted by Daveydee (original post (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?postid=430363#post430363))
Luna gives an impression of being 'spaced out' or on 'another planet' most of the time. And I agree that she does have knowledge of certain things that are, or will become, of vital importance.

But I think the whole point about Luna is that, despite this having this knowledge, she quite patently is NOT aware of the importance or relevance of it. That, I think, is the endearing thing about her.

Right. To Luna, her knowledge and abilities are just normal and mundane. Do you suppose her parents are, (or were) like that, too? Bet her dad is.

phoenixsong
July 7th, 2003, 8:56 pm
I just finished reading Elizabeth Goudge's The Little White Horse, which at times Rowling has described as her favourite book. The female protagonist of The Little White Horse has a TREMENDOUS amount in common with Luna Lovegood, and the whole book is full of this strong moon imagery. I think Luna Lovegood (and even the name here is related to the Little White Horse, in which "Loveday" is a family name) is, besides her important role in the coming books, also an homage to Little White Horse. I'd highly recommend the book.

Daveydee
July 7th, 2003, 9:06 pm
Well come on then phoenixsong, don't do a JK on us and leave it hanging in the air. Give us a brief precis of this character, and her similarities to Luna.

trev2023
July 8th, 2003, 12:41 am
i also thought is was interesting her reading the magazine upside-down. i mean, the explanation about the runes was alright, but she seemed to keep reading it upside-down for an extended length of time. that kind of bothered me when i read it.

Snowangel
July 8th, 2003, 1:11 am
I liked Luna. I admired her, too, because she really seems to be at peace with herself. She doesn't care what other people think about her and she really does what she wants to do. I wish I could be more like that.

animagus1369
July 8th, 2003, 5:17 pm
Originally posted by flash8784 (original post (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?postid=429861#post429861))
(speaking of ravenclaw, does anyone know who the ravenclaw head of house is? I can't find anything on it for the life of me and was just wondering.)

According to the HP Lexicon (http://www.hp-lexicon.org/hogwarts_teachers.html) Flitwick is the head of Ravenclaw House.

snitch14
July 13th, 2003, 6:01 pm
Alls I know bout Luna is that she seems rather interested in Ron.

Also, she is always dreamy, kinda like I am sometimes.. just looking into space.

she'll probably open up the veil's mystery if harry bothers to ask

Amylou
July 13th, 2003, 8:17 pm
Did the people who posted earlier forget??? The lovegoods were mentioned earlier! They were the family that had been at the Quidditch World Cup for a week already. JKR never brings in a character that isn't going to play a part in the book. Remember Susan Bones being mentioned as one of the people being sorted in Book 1, then you find out that her family was killed by Voldy and her aunt is the one who was at Harry's trial. Luna was a little..no...a lot...no..ridiculously spacy, but she did help with the Death Eaters at the end and will probably play a role of some sort in Books 6 or 7. I think she likes ron not harry btw.

Mutant for Hire
July 13th, 2003, 9:24 pm
I missed the Lovegood reference in book four. I expect that she'll be constantly popping over to the Weasley house to spend time with Ron and Ginny. Fred and George are going to have a field day when they find out.

whizbang121
July 13th, 2003, 10:08 pm
Originally posted by snitch14 (original post (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?postid=451234#post451234))
Alls I know bout Luna is that she seems rather interested in Ron.

Also, she is always dreamy, kinda like I am sometimes.. just looking into space.

she'll probably open up the veil's mystery if harry bothers to ask

She does seem to know more about it than the other students. I hope someone can tell Harry what's going on with the veil.

fairylights
July 13th, 2003, 10:12 pm
I really got the feeling that there was more to her conversation with Harry at the end of the book than met the eye. And all those creatures that she talks about, I really think a few of them exist. I mean, she rode thestrals as if she did it every day. She'd obviously done it before. And the crazy experimenting streak must be a family thing, because she was planning on finding a crumple-horned thingy with her dad, right? she's going to be important, I think.

Witflick
July 13th, 2003, 10:22 pm
Definitely more than meets the eye to Luna Lovegood. Someone above me mentioned Luna seems really at peace with herself, and I agree. That's a good quality to have. The conversation at the end of the story probably holds a few clues as to what's coming, but all I can think of at the moment is foreshadowing Harry's death so he goes back to his parents in the end.

whizbang121
July 13th, 2003, 10:32 pm
Wow, this is the second thread I've been in tonight where significant numbers of members think Harry is not going to survive. I never doubted his survival, but now ......
Maybe Luna will help Harry see that there is no death. The veil is an illusion so those on this side of it are free to make choices. But in reality, there is no death. There is only life in one dimension or another.

Witflick
July 13th, 2003, 10:41 pm
Originally posted by whizbang121 (original post (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?postid=451812#post451812))
Wow, this is the second thread I've been in tonight where significant numbers of members think Harry is not going to survive. I never doubted his survival, but now ......
Maybe Luna will help Harry see that there is no death. The veil is an illusion so those on this side of it are free to make choices. But in reality, there is no death. There is only life in one dimension or another.

Until this book I never doubted his survival either, but after reading OotP, I really think he's going to die while killing Voldemort. :(

Starseyer
July 14th, 2003, 1:37 am
I've thought that maybe Luna was the victim of a confundus charm that did a bit of permanent damage. She can still think right and she is intellegent, but I think that may explain why she acts "spaced out" and believes goofy things.

As a side note: If I were to suddenly find out that I was a HP witch and sent to Hogwarts, I would have a hard time knowing what to believe and what to reject. After all, if I'd never believed in magic, unicorns, dragons, ect. and then found out they were real, what would I think about, say, heliopaths? :??:

Rahvin54
July 14th, 2003, 4:37 am
I think everyone loved Luna, she was just written that way.

whizbang121
July 14th, 2003, 2:33 pm
:) Kind of like Jessica Rabbit was drawn. Someone here mentioned that she seems to be based on a character in the Little White Horse, JKR's favorite book.

snitch14
July 14th, 2003, 4:59 pm
luna lovegood knows her stuff. u just gotta get to know her better. ginny did

phoenixsong
July 14th, 2003, 5:45 pm
Originally posted by Daveydee (original post (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?postid=431412#post431412))
Well come on then phoenixsong, don't do a JK on us and leave it hanging in the air. Give us a brief precis of this character, and her similarities to Luna.

sorry, Daveydee, not to get back earlier. Okay, besides the sort of obvious name stuff that I mentioned, as well as the importance of the moon in Little White horse and Luna's name, the protagonist of Little White Horse, Maria Merryweather, is a natural born horsewoman, who, the first time she mounts a horse does so gracefully and sidesaddle; in OotP, we see Luna gracefully mount and dismount the thestrals, sidesaddle, the only one of the 6 to do so. Physically, Maria Merryweather has very prominent grey eyes (I can't remember the colour of Luna's, but do remember their prominence). In terms of character, there are some differences (Maria is perhaps a bit more, um, patrician, than Luna, and more circumspect, and is very concerned with her clothing and appearance, unlike Luna who wears freak clothes) but they both very matter-of-factly come to terms with things that might seem otherworldly or strange to others, and are very in tune with the supernatural and able, in the case of Maria, to correctly interpret it and act upon it in such a way as to resolve centuries-old generational conflict.

Loony Lunatic
July 15th, 2003, 12:24 am
I look forward to seeing more of Luna. She is truely my favorite of new characters, and like many here, I see her becoming more important in Books 6 and 7. Oh, and thanks for the tip off on the possible homage. *goes and gets "The Little White Horse" to read*

rons-lover
July 15th, 2003, 12:28 am
Its very obvious Luna will play a big role to come.

1st being someone Harry can trust and feel comfortable telling things he can't tell other(Remember with Sirius), we ALL NEED someone like that. I know I do. And Esp. Harry with his anger and such. She faced death(Her mother) and ridicule(People stealing her stuff) just like Harry.

2nd As she will be his confident she will be able to help him cope with Sirius's death without having to tell him "Harry its okay to be sad," ect, ect.

3rd She will help him understand death better and probrably himself better and also help him fully realize his stregnths and weaknesses.

I do believe in book 6 we will see ALOT of Luna. I don't believe her and Harry will hook up, but will have a bond that is very unlike that of his with anyone else or his with Hermione and Rons. Its been pointed at and don't see why it should'nt be followed.

ShorelineWind
July 15th, 2003, 2:18 am
Does anyone get the the feeling that in the beginning of the book, she had feelings for Ron and then toward the end she formed a strong (or the beginning of strong) relationship with Harry? And do you think that because Hermione and Luna seem to conflict with each other, something will happen between them in the books that will be very important?

Maybe Luna will be like a replacement of Sirius--except in a different way. Dumbledore might refuse to get any closer to Harry. We all know Harry doesn't go to Hermione or Ron very often with his problems... So maybe she will turn out to be someone to give him advice like Sirius, only not in the same way?

I don't know about my theories, though, so this may just be my imagination...

whizbang121
July 15th, 2003, 10:55 am
Originally posted by ShorelineWind (original post (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?postid=455427#post455427))
Does anyone get the the feeling that in the beginning of the book, she had feelings for Ron and then toward the end she formed a strong (or the beginning of strong) relationship with Harry? And do you think that because Hermione and Luna seem to conflict with each other, something will happen between them in the books that will be very important?

Maybe Luna will be like a replacement of Sirius--except in a different way. Dumbledore might refuse to get any closer to Harry. We all know Harry doesn't go to Hermione or Ron very often with his problems... So maybe she will turn out to be someone to give him advice like Sirius, only not in the same way?

I don't know about my theories, though, so this may just be my imagination...

It makes a lot of sense, though. I think that Hermione will learn to respect things she can't see, (or look up in the library) as she gets to know Luna better. She's already ridden an "invisible" thestral. And who knows, maybe some of Hermione's down to earth practicality will rub off on Luna ... or not.

I hope it's not something confrontational, though. It's important for the DA to stick together and be supportive of each other.:grouphug:

ravstardeluxe
July 15th, 2003, 10:59 am
Luna will play an important part in the DA assuming that it gets continued in the future books. She's wise and and knows things that the others don't which will come in handy I assume. I have a feeling that Hermoine and she can learn a lot from eachother.

phoenixsong
July 15th, 2003, 11:07 am
does anybody else think that we might get a confirmation from Hagrid as to the existence of crumple-horned snorkacks?

whizbang121
July 15th, 2003, 11:14 am
I never thought of asking Hagrid. Bet he knows, though.
On the other hand, they may intentionally be the "Lock Ness monster" of the magical world that no one will ever find or prove one way or the other.

snitch14
July 15th, 2003, 8:22 pm
luna seems to know a lot about death. i'm certain she knows what thestrals are and why she saw em. also, she knew about the veil. maybe if harry asked something about sirius, she might tell him...

she could possibly even be the character to make sirius and harry have a communication of some kind

Witflick
July 15th, 2003, 9:03 pm
Snitch, I don't think Harry & Sirius will communicate again (unless maybe in dreams.)

I do agree that Luna seems to know an awful lot about the veil, though. I am really hoping for a more thorough explanation of it in the next book, and I think we can expect to see Luna more often.

snitch14
July 15th, 2003, 9:13 pm
luna's in on the action!

saffron
July 17th, 2003, 9:00 am
I absolutely love luna!! I really hope she plays more of a part in the future books but I don't really think she will because jk just added her in so suddenly. I think if she had planned to have her in the whole plot for the beginning she would have put in something more about her before. It just seemed really unnatural the way she was just suddenly there on the train, as if she was just added in their halfway through the story.

And she WAS needed in the plot because of the threastal thing. Not just coz she could see them as well as Harry but if she didn't know how to ride them they never would have got to the ministry.

MagiCils
July 17th, 2003, 9:06 am
Is Luna Lovegood an animagus? There's the drinking of Gillywater during the Rita Skeeter interview, (which may have similar properties to gillyweed?) while the others have butterbeer, and her bulging eyes - could that mean that she's some kind of frog or toad in her non-human form? Presumably Harry et al will have to find some way to communicate with the Merpeople etc as the battle intesnsifies, and an aquatic animagus would be handy!

ravstardeluxe
July 17th, 2003, 9:29 am
If someone is an animagus, don't they have to be registered or something with the Ministry? There are subtle hints that maybe tell us that Luna could be an animagus, or at the same time, JK maybe just plotting red herrings to get readers thinking about what will happen next. Also, Luna does come across as quite relaxed when dealing with other animals like the thestrals for instance. She does share a kind of oneness with them so I think it's quite possible.

tree guardian
July 17th, 2003, 10:00 am
I think Luna is constantly seeing things others can't. I also think that her mum was an Unspeakable and that the 'expolosion' or accident that caused Mrs. Lovegood's death is what gave Luna such an interesting disposition. This would also explain why she and her father go trecking about after things the average wizard can't see. Luna can see them helping out her corky father and friends with Quibbler exclusives.

:)

(Haven't read previous posts yet, but will real soon.)

whizbang121
July 17th, 2003, 10:04 am
Well, while I don't doubt that she's an animagus, she's a bit young.
And while animagi are supposed to be registered, her father seems more than a little counter cultural and may choose not to have his daughter registered. Could she maybe have merpeople in her distant ancestry?

snitch14
July 17th, 2003, 12:26 pm
Originally posted by MagiCils (original post (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?postid=462504#post462504))
Is Luna Lovegood an animagus? There's the drinking of Gillywater during the Rita Skeeter interview, (which may have similar properties to gillyweed?) while the others have butterbeer, and her bulging eyes - could that mean that she's some kind of frog or toad in her non-human form? Presumably Harry et al will have to find some way to communicate with the Merpeople etc as the battle intesnsifies, and an aquatic animagus would be handy!

wasn't luna drinking onion shake? or something with onion?

Loony Lunatic
July 18th, 2003, 6:56 am
It had a slice of onion or something in it... Like how some mixed drinks have cherries in them. But it seems to me that Luna's role will continue as a new supporting character to help Harry cope with his problems. Ron and Hermione have little to no experience with what Harry has to deal with, and their attempts at stabilizing Harry's emotional state in OotP were not very effective. Luna does it very well.

fawkeswashere2
July 18th, 2003, 3:25 pm
Originally posted by ravstardeluxe (original post (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?postid=406393#post406393))
Is there more to Luna Lovegood than is revealed? She was quirky, definitely hilarious, and evoked sympathy because she got bullied. But I just felt a bit miffed with the way she was just coming and going and blissfully ignornt of what's going on around her, don't you think?

This could be way out in left field. I'm sure it is, but I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this.

It does describe how Luna's mother died. However, could there have been foul play that led to it? Was Luna's mother and father perhaps working against Voldemort as well, but not as members of the Order. Just a curiousity that I had wondered when thinking about Luna's family and their relevance to everyone else.

Also, aren't most wizarding families related. Wonder if she's related to the Malfoys or to someone in the Order. She's so sly with her answers and timing that I think we'll probably find more out in the next few books.

As for her falling in love with someone, I hope it's one of the Weasley twins. They need a spicy love life. Don't they? Although, she's just quirky enough to really light the fire under that knucklehead Percy. If anyone needs to get some groove back in his life, it's Percy.

Shikyo
July 18th, 2003, 3:55 pm
I do doubt that Luna Lovegood's going to hook up with anyone...well, maybe she might. Granted that this is really just, in the end, fiction, Rowling could very easily set her up with anyone she really wants to. No matter what, though, I see it as very unlikely.

Sure, she has insights as to the nature of the veil, the Unseen, the things that other wizards and witches seem to ignore just because they're so very improbable. But, unless it's a VERY convincing act, she's...well...a bit of a loon.

Consider a date with Luna. You ask if she wants to go to the movies, and she warns you of the green horned-bill shadowsnaps lurking in the corners of theaters making the floors sticky. Or states quite logically that the ice cream you two are eating is poison to the gogglespans of Norway.

I'd imagine that it would drive any of them nutters.

Though I'd agree with whoever suggested it that Percy would benefit the most from a relationship with Luna Lovegood. Seriously. He'd either go insane, relax a bit, or just get his groove on.

Personally, I think that Luna's going to take over as the role as Harry's Guide.

You noticed how there's one in every book, aside from OotP? The character who steps out of the shadows and basically says to Harry, "Hi. I'm here to give you info on what's going on. (Insert cryptic refrence to the Event of the book here)."

Like, 'Moody' in the fourth book would be the best example of this. While he was a bit heavy-handed, he just randomly seemed to appear out of nowhere and basically give Harry cryptic hints as to what to do next. In the first book, we have Dumbledore who basically follows Harry around and delivers magic items when the time comes for Harry to own them, as well as occasionally popping in to say a few things that would help him out later.

Anyway. Luna seems to be setting herself up near the end of the fifth book to fufill this sort of role for Harry. That is to say, she'll follow him around the next two years mentioning stuff when Harry needs to know them for Dramatic Plot Contrivance. She, among the entire student population, seems to be the only one who has any sort of significant knowledge of the dead, and if Harry doesn't do anything involving the veil in the next two years, I for one will be rather surprised.

fawkeswashere2
July 18th, 2003, 3:58 pm
Anyway. Luna seems to be setting herself up near the end of the fifth book to fufill this sort of role for Harry. That is to say, she'll follow him around the next two years mentioning stuff when Harry needs to know them for Dramatic Plot Contrivance. She, among the entire student population, seems to be the only one who has any sort of significant knowledge of the dead, and if Harry doesn't do anything involving the veil in the next two years, I for one will be rather surprised.

In essence, she'll be human version of Dobby. Remember how "helpful" he has been.

Shikyo
July 18th, 2003, 4:04 pm
In essence, she'll be human version of Dobby. Remember how "helpful" he has been.

Oi, most likely. But really, most people Harry knows seems to provide him more headaches than help.

Think she'll try to visit Harry during the summer? Imagine the Dursleys having to deal with Loony Lovegood showing up on their doorstep, primly asking to talk to Harry. Wearing her usual assortment of clothing, complete with flashing lion hat and flower robes. They have hernias enough dealing with Harry and how scruffy he looks. They have nightmares as to what the neighbors think.

Imagine how they'll deal with her.

fawkeswashere2
July 18th, 2003, 4:16 pm
Originally posted by Shikyo (original post (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?postid=466185#post466185))
Oi, most likely. But really, most people Harry knows seems to provide him more headaches than help.

Think she'll try to visit Harry during the summer? Imagine the Dursleys having to deal with Loony Lovegood showing up on their doorstep, primly asking to talk to Harry. Wearing her usual assortment of clothing, complete with flashing lion hat and flower robes. They have hernias enough dealing with Harry and how scruffy he looks. They have nightmares as to what the neighbors think.

Imagine how they'll deal with her.

The Dursleys remind me of people that denial is the only way to live. They remind me also of people that live in areas in America that are proned to either earthquakes or hurricanes. These people are always amazed that it happens. When they know they live in such a place. Hello?

The Dursleys should stop being surprise. Although, I think Vernon is in for a huge surprise from Petunia.

As for Loony Lovegood, there's a part of me that thinks this is a "show". I think she is more relevant than most would like her to be. She gives Harry someone that understands the "weird" things he sees or knows. Hermoine would just go to the library and consult a book. Ron would think it's weird and tell him that he'd have to ask DD or McGonagall about it. So? She's there for a reason.

Shikyo
July 18th, 2003, 4:47 pm
As for Loony Lovegood, there's a part of me that thinks this is a "show". I think she is more relevant than most would like her to be. She gives Harry someone that understands the "weird" things he sees or knows. Hermoine would just go to the library and consult a book. Ron would think it's weird and tell him that he'd have to ask DD or McGonagall about it. So? She's there for a reason.

Oh yes, though, definately agreed that she's got a purpose. I don't think that Rowling would drop a random character, especially one who knows so much, if there was absolutely no purpose to him/her.

I don't think that secretly, Lovegood is some calculating sort who's doing the entire "I'm a nut, are you?" thing for some ulterior purpose. But that's just me, though I think whoever said that Lovegood's a bit more on the wilder side of magic (while Hermione is master of the tamed wizardry) seems accurate. I mean, she's a bit eccentric: she's more druid-like than a witch.

I bet that if she and Firenze started talking, they'd have one heck of a conversation. Aside from the fit of Harry/Luna bonding at the end of the fifth book, she seems to have more in common with Firenze than anyone else.

fawkeswashere2
July 18th, 2003, 5:12 pm
[i]Originally posted by Shikyo

I bet that if she and Firenze started talking, they'd have one heck of a conversation. Aside from the fit of Harry/Luna bonding at the end of the fifth book, she seems to have more in common with Firenze than anyone else.

Interesting. I am intrigued about what is going on with Firenze and the rest of the Centaurs. I'm thinking his role will be important at Hogwarts. As for the Centaurs, I'm wondering if they will eventually take sides to keep their existence.

Also, I'm wondering what will become of Aragog and the other "creatures" in the Forbidden Forest. Will we find out more about them and what else is out there? Just a few things to contemplate.

ravstardeluxe
July 18th, 2003, 5:31 pm
I'm sure that Luna may possibly help Hagrid because she seems to know a lot about creatures and all. I hope Harry tells her about Grawp because she'd definitely be able to help them out there too. Well, I assume anyway.

swtevejade
July 18th, 2003, 6:12 pm
at first i thought luna was this excess character. but by the end of the book, i get the feeling that they are trying to set up the character for something more important later on. like neville, we didnt notice his importance until OotP. in the first 4 books, he was just in the background. but in OotP, he played a much bigger role. i think they're just trying to introduce luna in OotP and have the people get a feeling for her. then she'll come in useful in the other 2 books. the last conversation that harry had with luna about her losing her things seem to be a way to introduce harry to luna, a way for them to be friends and get to know each other, without the preassumptions they had of each other, such as harry thinking she is loony luna. instead she is a friend now.

ravstardeluxe
July 18th, 2003, 7:24 pm
I do have a funny feeling that Luna may try to get in touch with Harry over the summer. Or at least the Weasley's seeing as she's in Ginny's year. Or even if she doesn't meet any of them, Harry may try to reach her over the summer seeing as she may become his confidant. Well, that's where their relationship seems to be headed.

Raven
July 19th, 2003, 12:58 am
Luna is a practical nut case.
She sees things in a way that the other characters in HP don't.

Like in Umbridge's office. Ron, Hermione, Neville, and Ginny were struggling. Not Luna though. She knew that whoever was holding her, had the height, weight, and reach on her and, for the moment, resistence was futile. She also knew that the odds of her being killed in that office weren't very good, so she could just wait until the time was ripe, and then strike.

Luna doesn't scare easily either. DoM, she was the one who managed to lead a dazed Ron, and an injured Ginny out of the Planetarium, and back to Harry.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of Luna in book six.

And I too think there is potential for an H/L ship.

Severely Snapped
July 19th, 2003, 1:53 am
Luna rocks. Anyone with the guts to wear radishes in her ears is okay in my book. And on the more serious side, there is an appealing serenity to her...particularly appealing in this book, actually, considering how Harry was having an emotional meltdown every other page. Not only did he need Luna, we did, too.

Slightly OT...does anyone remember the name of the poster (who I believe was banned) who months ago claimed a character named Luna Lovegood would be in Book 5? I don't recall his name, and I seem to remember that the rest of his "predictions" were rubbish...but I also recall that the rest of us laughed him off the forum. "Luna Lovegood"? That's not a Rowling-type name! :D

snitch14
July 19th, 2003, 2:37 pm
someone a while ago also said there was a Lovegood mentioned in GOF on the camp ground before the match. anyone can confirm that?

Mutant for Hire
July 19th, 2003, 2:41 pm
Originally posted by snitch14 (original post (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?postid=468671#post468671))
someone a while ago also said there was a Lovegood mentioned in GOF on the camp ground before the match. anyone can confirm that?

When Arthur and Cedric's dad were discussing who was going to take the Portkey, it was mentioned the Lovegoods were already in the camp a week.

Incidentally, this leads to the implication that Ginny and Luna might well be childhood friends. Two girls the same age, growing up in the same area.

snitch14
July 19th, 2003, 2:46 pm
hmm, yea. that could be it..

adonaichild
July 19th, 2003, 3:04 pm
At first, Luna drove me nuts! I just kept picturing her reading the Quibbler upside down. But what I really liked about her, is that she's kind of Hermione's equal. Hermione is logical, smart etc...but Luna believes anything that has no proof to it! I really think she ads a lot to the story, and I think we're going to see more of her, because Hermione is so logical, that sometimes she could even be considered close-minded...Luna has the advantage of looking "outside the box". I also like her attitude on life--little really bothers her. It was a nice contrast to Harry's raging hormones :eyebrows:

Mutant for Hire
July 19th, 2003, 3:28 pm
Originally posted by adonaichild (original post (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?postid=468722#post468722))
At first, Luna drove me nuts! I just kept picturing her reading the Quibbler upside down. But what I really liked about her, is that she's kind of Hermione's equal. Hermione is logical, smart etc...but Luna believes anything that has no proof to it! I really think she ads a lot to the story, and I think we're going to see more of her, because Hermione is so logical, that sometimes she could even be considered close-minded...Luna has the advantage of looking "outside the box". I also like her attitude on life--little really bothers her. It was a nice contrast to Harry's raging hormones :eyebrows:

Rowling has said that Luna is sort of the anti-Hermione.

Given that her mother was a brilliant witch, I tend to think that she's probably a brilliant witch as well. Hermione knows little to nothing about what is contained in the Department of Mysteries. I suspect that Luna knows a lot more and is more of an expert on the mysteries than Hermione is, and if she's going to continue to have a serious role, I think it will be in dealing with the unknown where Hermione is an expert on the known.

Daveydee
July 19th, 2003, 3:54 pm
Originally posted by Severely Snapped (original post (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?postid=467725#post467725))

Slightly OT...does anyone remember the name of the poster (who I believe was banned) who months ago claimed a character named Luna Lovegood would be in Book 5? I don't recall his name, and I seem to remember that the rest of his "predictions" were rubbish...but I also recall that the rest of us laughed him off the forum. "Luna Lovegood"? That's not a Rowling-type name! :D

Wasn't he called munglebunny or something like that. I recall seeing that too. Though as I remember it was during the week before release, when spoilers were appearing all over the place.

EDIT: Yep, that was him - just checked. It's quite amusing now looking back at some of the posts that derided the name Luna Lovegood.

"Luna Luvegood puur-leeeeezzze"

FreckledApples
August 4th, 2003, 8:18 pm
ok all i want to say is im a HArry/Luna shipper and a BIG ron/Hermione shipper but also... Luna did not just pop up into the fith book. on page 73 of the american version in the chapter of the portkey diggory says sumthing about the LOVEGOODS being at the cup for a week now and that means that she lives around ron!

FreckledApples
August 4th, 2003, 8:22 pm
how did u see the messages by munglebunny?? cause i searched his name and couldnt find it so can u tell me where to look please email me princessbabyyea_500@yahoo.com

Mad I
August 4th, 2003, 9:23 pm
I definitly think that now we know more about Luna that we will learn more about Mr. and Mrs. Lovegood (though Mrs. is dead). This could even be another perspective place for Harry to go over the summer if Grimmauld Place is no longer safe, because not many people would think of her as a major friend of Harry's (although they were seen together at the MoM).

noddwyd
August 4th, 2003, 11:53 pm
I think Luna went somewhere with her dad over the summer, so I doubt she'll show up at either of their houses over the summer or anything. I think that H/L is very possible, and I'm positive they will at least become good friends. But right now Luna is stuck on Ron.

whizbang121
August 5th, 2003, 12:43 am
I think Luna was stuck on Ron in the first half or two thirds of the book. By the end, I think she was getting over him. I'm not sure she was "stuck" on anyone else, though. So, I'm not sure about Harry/Luna.

I used to think Harry hadn't met his one and only, yet. But a month or so ago, someone posted a fantastic analysis of Harry/Hermione, especially in the last book, in the "who will fall in love" thread. Totally convinced me.

But Luna offers a unique perspective. She's kind of the spiritual psychic with occult understanding and and a supermarket tabloid kind of unusual knowledge. I remember finding a stack of old magazines called FATE in the basement, a few years ago. They were full of stories about sea monsters and cloudbursts of frogs. Lots of ufo and alien stories, too. And Atlantis discoveries. Entirely wierd. But Luna makes me think of them. :)

TheBoss
August 5th, 2003, 1:39 am
wow everyone's back and forth..
i thought she was a nice addition to the book, a little releif at times... and i think she's got a thing for Ron! but i feel thats not too important, i just think she's goona be a big role in book6.. i wish i could say what, but i just dont know...

snitch14
August 5th, 2003, 2:59 pm
since the first time i read about luna, i was totally convinced that she had a thing for ron. she definately finds him interesting. she'll have another role in the next book as well, jk doesn't put characters in the middle of the story just for the fun of it.

cleansweep11
August 9th, 2003, 10:23 pm
Once again,I'm sorry If there is a thread about this already but I did search and I couldn't find one.

So anyway I think it maybe possible that Luna is the true seer. Any oppions?

harryfantotheend
August 9th, 2003, 10:52 pm
hm...do you have any examples?

Hammi
August 9th, 2003, 11:00 pm
Yea, i'm not to sure about this, can you give us some reasons? I don't seem to remember her predicitng the future at all.

aggiemuggle
August 9th, 2003, 11:21 pm
There's more to Luna than we know, but what makes you think she is a Seer? I can't think of anything that points in that direction.

Weasley24
August 9th, 2003, 11:59 pm
I cant think of anything that would point out that Luna is a true seer, could you maybe expand on this idea a little? She does seem the type though to predict things, she reminds me of a younger Trelawny.

Oo bUMbLE bEE oO
August 10th, 2003, 1:53 am
I suspect the way she reads the Quibbler! Maybe she's on to something. =)

*Tapanga
August 10th, 2003, 11:27 am
Luna and her father planned on taking an expedition to Sweden during the summer in order to search for Crumple-Horned Snorkacks with the money that they made from selling Harry's article to the Daily Prophet . Do you think that they'll actually find this bizarre creature, or maybe find a different one in the process?

When taking the train back to Hogwarts in book six, I think that someone is bound to ask Luna how her trip to Sweden went. It's not like Luna to reply "no, we didn't find anything." I think that her trip definetely has something to do with the next book. (I wonder what Crumple-Horned Snorkacks look like??)

Padfoot127
August 10th, 2003, 11:32 am
Now that you mention it, Luna reminds me of Dumbledore for some reason. I dunno.

Mad I
August 10th, 2003, 12:20 pm
I think that because she isn't exactly down to earth she doesn't know the odds against her, which is a good thing when entering battles with Harry as he is usually the underdog. I see her being a larger part of the series in the future.

whizbang121
August 10th, 2003, 12:42 pm
Luna might be a seer, but I think so far, she has been more the one to explain mysteries to the others. Stuff that adults seem to know about but aren't too willing to explain to young people she knows all about. She reminds me of that kindergarten kid who knows all about the tooth fairy and Santa Claus, and where babies come from, but she'e much nicer. That kindergartener is usually a pain.
But it does seem to me that at 15 they are no longer kids and maybe should know about things like traditional beliefs and customs surrounding death.

Shells Bells
August 10th, 2003, 12:57 pm
I think Luna was stuck on Ron in the first half or two thirds of the book. By the end, I think she was getting over him. I'm not sure she was "stuck" on anyone else, though. So, I'm not sure about Harry/Luna.

I used to think Harry hadn't met his one and only, yet. But a month or so ago, someone posted a fantastic analysis of Harry/Hermione, especially in the last book, in the "who will fall in love" thread. Totally convinced me.

But Luna offers a unique perspective. She's kind of the spiritual psychic with occult understanding and and a supermarket tabloid kind of unusual knowledge. I remember finding a stack of old magazines called FATE in the basement, a few years ago. They were full of stories about sea monsters and cloudbursts of frogs. Lots of ufo and alien stories, too. And Atlantis discoveries. Entirely wierd. But Luna makes me think of them. :)

:rotfl: I would really like to see a Luna/Neville matchup. Just think of the fits that Neville's grandmother would have. Hmmmm, on second though Gran Longbottom DOES wear a hat with a vulture on it. :huh:

I think that Neville would get a lot of benefit from that pairing. Luna would put some fun and excitement in his life.

But getting back on Topic, I think that Luna is assuredly thinking outside the box. She's spending her summer holidays off hunting for crumple horned snorkacks (or something like that) So I don't think that she'll be visiting with the rest of the DA. At least not right away.

I feel Luna will play a much larger role in book 6. She gives Harry a grounding point. Nothing is too unusual for her to believe or accept. Odd stuff just rolls off her back like water off a duck. Or she's already seen it, heard about it or done it. Thestrals, and the Veil come to mind. She almost has a "been there done that" attitude.

Mad I
August 10th, 2003, 5:02 pm
whizbang121- that is a good way of putting it, I think that eventually she will be wrong about something and Hermoine will be the first one to point it out (Wait a minute, are you saying that the tooth fairy isn't ..... oh no)

Mutant for Hire
August 11th, 2003, 12:31 am
I think one of the things that Luna is going to do is displace Ron as a foil for Hermione. Hermione's endless bickering with Ron is going to give way to her bickering with Luna next book as Luna makes comments that drive Hermione up the wall. However I think at least once, Luna is going to win an argument and absolutely boggle Hermione in the process.

Someone needs to remind Hermione that not all that is known is written in books, not everything is known, and one should always keep an open mind.

snitch14
August 11th, 2003, 12:09 pm
that's hermione's problem, she doesn't believe things that aren't proven. maybe luna will tell harry something about the veil that isn't proven, and hermione will start to object

Mrs. Biggerstaff
August 11th, 2003, 12:46 pm
i agree with Sorting Hat's Songwriter, i luv the idea of Harry and Luna together and even though its sounds compltely obsurd, i luv it i love her, and as everyone else has said i doubth that JK didnt put her in for no reason, i think there is a huge possibilty of harry and Luna! ( think ive made my point clear)

hpm
August 12th, 2003, 11:31 am
harry adn luna are definitely going to go out in book 6 or 7 rowling wouldn't have introcuced luna if she didtn have a part and at the end of OOTP there seemed to be a pointless discussion with her which i think is foreshadowing something

snitch14
August 12th, 2003, 1:07 pm
maybe luna was put for a different reason. look, she helped the trio about thestrals and she told harry about the veil.

that's probably gonna be why jk put her, because she'll be the source of info about the veil.

i can't see harry going out with luna. he doesn't exactly think she's normal

Foxman
August 12th, 2003, 1:37 pm
For a start, I definitely do not think that Harry and Luna will end up as a couple. I think that the reason why Luna appears in Book 5 is strongly related to the reason why there are suddenly Thestrals. The importance of the Thestrals was in my opinion not for the use of transport to the MoM, but to show in a very discreet manner which of Harry's classmates have seen death, too. JK makes up a connection between Luna and Harry very early in the book, when Luna tells him that she also can see the "bat-winged horses" pulling the carriages ("I've been able to see them ever since my first day here. They've always pulled the carriages. Don't worry. You're just as sane as I am"). With this last sentence she tells Harry more or less that to have seen death is nothing what somebody must be ashamed for. And this scene in the book makes also very clear, what's the great difference between Ron & Hermoine and Luna is. R & H have never seen somebody dying and therefore will never be able to understand the grief and despair Harry is feeling after Sirius has died. The main purpose of Luna in the next books will be to console Harry as she is in the "club" of people who have lost a loved one.
Besides I also consider her to be a counterpart of Hermione. Luna and Hermione can definitely learn much from each other.

Hermione Potter
August 12th, 2003, 2:29 pm
Just a side thought....
Britney Spears is to Avril Lavgine, as Hermione is to Luna. Now you dont have to like their music or whatever, but theyre both pretty equal yet very different. One has been around a long time, one a shorter amount of time, but already the second is catching up in her own way, you know? I think the fact that Luna was in one of the last scenes in OOTP was something to pay attention to. It left me wishing that more was said. I also think the fact that she kept saying they always turn up in the end was something to pay attention to as well......I like Luna. Im more of a H/Hr or H/L shipper than anything else. I think Luna is going to end up being a very important character later, but im not decided on how though.

Btw - Ive been lurking here for such a long time, I love this board, some of the theories are really well thought out.....

whizbang121
August 12th, 2003, 9:07 pm
Now that you mention it, Luna reminds me of Dumbledore for some reason. I dunno.

Wow. Padfoot127, every once in a while someone drops a phrase and ....
This one struck a chord. (B# I think.) Seriously, if I may spell it that way, I like that.

whizbang121
August 13th, 2003, 4:15 pm
Do you think it's a sense of detachment that makes Luna seem a bit like Dumbledore?

turbotriple_power
August 13th, 2003, 5:26 pm
Well maybe it's because people find her to be a bit crazy.
And people also find DD to be crazy sometimes...

Mutant for Hire
August 13th, 2003, 11:27 pm
So do people think Luna Lovegood will be made a prefect for Ravenclaw? I'd love to see that happen if only for Hermione's expression when she finds out. And in book seven, Hermione would end up Head Girl in charge of Luna among the other prefects...

turbotriple_power
August 13th, 2003, 11:32 pm
Well maybe...it could always happen!!!

Lucha Lovegood
August 14th, 2003, 1:05 pm
the name luna means moon...and it also means diana which means the greek godess of hunting and protector of young women.
you know JK puts ppls name on for some reason like lupin means little wolf in french(right) I dunno what influence the meaning of her name may have on the books but it certainly must be something good...plus she is in ravenclaw which gives her a sharp mind...shes gotta do something really big or important in next books!

Liselle
August 14th, 2003, 1:13 pm
anyone know why she reads the Quibbler upside down? Is there something to it I wonder and is Luna as "Lunar" as she really seems?

whizbang121
August 17th, 2003, 11:36 am
you mean an extra terrestrial? :huh:

I wonder if Luna reads the quibbler upside down beause there are codes embedded in the stories or the runes that she understands. Perhaps a means of communication between certain groups? There's a quibbler thread with some good ideas.

http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=14049&highlight=quibbler

Hpmons
August 17th, 2003, 3:33 pm
Ah, nobody seems to notice the line which says why Luna read the Quibbler upside down...

an arcticle on ancient runes which at least explained why luna had been reading it upside down. According to the magazine, if you turned the runes on their heads they revealed a spell to make your enemys ears turn into kumquats

Anyway. Anybody else think that there is something odd about Luna? Not that shes weird, or drifts around; but she never gets hurt.
When The DEs attacked Ginny and Ron, Luna was the only one unharmed. The same with when they all tried to fight off the Inquisitorial Squad (sorry, cant spell).
Although in the end, when fighting the DEs she did pass out, as far as I know, she wasnt actually physically harmed when that happened.

And her attidude can be odd - sometimes she just appears TOO distant. When Umbridge threatened to do the Cruticus Curse on Harry, she just stared out of the window, looking bored. Almost as if she had heard this all before...

LESTRANGEMUSTDIE
August 17th, 2003, 3:38 pm
Good point, HPmons. It was odd that Luna wasn't harmed. However, I don't necessarily think her bored look means that she's seen all this before. I think it's more of- she's in her own world and not much in everyone else's world matters to her. I don't know if that's spell damage, just the way she is, or something else. Lots to ponder

PS- Love the signature. :cool:

whizbang121
August 21st, 2003, 1:52 am
detached. Like Dumbledore?

hesdead-dealwithit
August 26th, 2003, 5:29 am
detached. Like Dumbledore?

Maybe. But she's definitely weirder than DD. She's kind of clueless while knowing everything, idiotic while all-intelligent. She's just STRANGE! Can we leave it at that?

EndlessDreamer
August 26th, 2003, 6:47 am
I totally think that Luna will play some role in the next books. I love her, and how she seems so easy going. I think because of her eccentric personality a lot of ppl who read the HP series feel a connection to her other than a regular or "normal" character like Hermione, or Ron(just examples). I actually had more to say bout Luna but I got lost in my thoughts somewhere n can't remeber what they were.

Iggie
September 9th, 2003, 12:24 am
I'm beginning to suspect that Luna is one of those people who has had a near-death experience. (When I say "near-death", I'm not talking about like when Ginny nearly died, but when a person actually does die and is then subsequently revived.) When I look at her behavior, I see someone who acts like they are unconcerned about the here and now because they have already seen what is on the other side. I found this description about NDEs on a web-page, so tell me if any of it fits Luna's character.

"III. The Psychological Aftereffects of the Near-Death Experiences:
A. The inability to personalize love and a sense of belonging. Survivors came to love and accept others without the usual attachments and conditions society expects. Their desire seems to be that of a conduit of universal love--God's love. Family members see this reaction as being threatening, aloof, uncaring, and unresponsive.

B. The inability to recognize and comprehend boundaries, rules, limits. The survivor has a basis of comparison unknown before. They have such open acceptance that they can take on a childlike naivete.

C. Difficulty in understanding time sense or references either to the future or the past. Survivors tend to have a sense of timelessness--some even reject wearing watches and ignore schedules. They seem to want to flow with the events.

D. Sensitivities enhance and expand, the intuitive opens up to the psychic. To many survivors, it seems that ESP becomes normal and ordinary.

E. A changed view of physical reality, with a noticeable reduction in worries and fears. To some, life paradoxes begin to make sense and a sense of purpose and meaning develop.

F. A different feeling of physical self, knowing we live in and wear our bodies. Many will come to regard themselves as an immortal soul currently residing in a mortal form.

G. Difficulty with communications and relationships, finding it hard to say what is meant or to understand the words of others. What was once foreign becomes familiar, what was once familiar becomes foreign."

hesdead-dealwithit
September 9th, 2003, 1:23 am
But can a "near death" experience separate a person from the rest of the crowd enough to make them sense things differently in the magical world? I don't think so, that's why I still don't think that Ginny heard the voiced beyond the veil.

Iggie
September 9th, 2003, 1:38 am
But can a "near death" experience separate a person from the rest of the crowd enough to make them sense things differently in the magical world? I don't think so, that's why I still don't think that Ginny heard the voiced beyond the veil.
If I remember correctly, Ginny didn't actually die, so she wouldn't have had a "near-death experience". That's why I made that distinction in the beginning, to show that there is a difference between somone being close to death, as she was, and someone who actually died and was revived. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

It's all speculation, of course. I just saw a strange parallel between the development of Luna's character and the descriptions that NDEers give in regards to how the experience changes their views on the world and their behavior.

Hpmons
September 9th, 2003, 10:07 pm
Well you have definatly conviced me! Thats the best that I have heard about Luna, well done Iggie! Luna fits in with all of these. It also fits in with a few other theories - one previous theory was that she was a ghost. I have never believed this, but perhaps she died when her mother made the potion, but was somehow brought back to life? I have watched quite a few programmes about NDEs...

A. The inability to personalize love and a sense of belonging. Survivors came to love and accept others without the usual attachments and conditions society expects. Their desire seems to be that of a conduit of universal love--God's love. Family members see this reaction as being threatening, aloof, uncaring, and unresponsive. I hoped to find a quote for this, but I cant. But she automatically accepts everyone she meets, and never makes enemies.

B. The inability to recognize and comprehend boundaries, rules, limits. The survivor has a basis of comparison unknown before. They have such open acceptance that they can take on a childlike naivete. Her dad works for the Quibbler, and she believes everything she reads!

C. Difficulty in understanding time sense or references either to the future or the past. Survivors tend to have a sense of timelessness--some even reject wearing watches and ignore schedules. They seem to want to flow with the events. There is no particular event I can think of where she is like that, but I imagine she would be.

D. Sensitivities enhance and expand, the intuitive opens up to the psychic. To many survivors, it seems that ESP becomes normal and ordinary. How did she know about the veil? She automatically knew, nobody told her.

E. A changed view of physical reality, with a noticeable reduction in worries and fears. To some, life paradoxes begin to make sense and a sense of purpose and meaning develop.
She definatly doesnt seem to have any worries! She simply stares into space half the time...

F. A different feeling of physical self, knowing we live in and wear our bodies. Many will come to regard themselves as an immortal soul currently residing in a mortal form. Im not sure about this one...

G. Difficulty with communications and relationships, finding it hard to say what is meant or to understand the words of others. What was once foreign becomes familiar, what was once familiar becomes foreign. She likes to stare at people for a long time, perhaps mulling over what they said? Again, Im not sure about this one.

zoeydsngwrtr
September 9th, 2003, 11:01 pm
What I think:
Luna had an important part in book five, and will most likely have even more of an importance in the following books due to her involvement in the DE, because the DE is the junior version of OOTP.
I do not think that Luna and Harry will wind up dating
And WOW what is everyone's problem with Hermiane, some people just have a hard time believeing, but I think that eventually something will happen that will make her loosen up more, but just because she likes books does not make her a bad person, and visa versa, Luna may be a little spacy, but she has her reasons, sometimes people just don't want to face the truth and space out on purpose.

murgs
September 10th, 2003, 1:05 am
Although I really like your reasoning, I have to be a naysayer with regard to NDE. Primarily because Luna shows all the classic signs of a major crush on Ron. She likes him so much she keeps up with his activities (ie who he took to the ball); calls him by the romanticized full name Ronald; breaches protocol by squeezing herself between two people so she can sit next to Ron at the table... the list goes on. I would say that is evidence of her having "personalized" feeling of love.

I think what's interesting about Luna is other than her easily readable feelings for Ron, and her loyalty to her father's enterprises, we don't have any idea of any of her other agendas. That makes her a conundrum because she doesn't even seem to exhibit a normal sense of self preservation.

I think she'll continue in her pursuit of Ron, but Harry who has become to think of himself as "other" will be drawn to her because she is clearly "other".

I can see where she will begin to serve as a guide for Harry, but he will learn from her in a kind of ancillary way - from observing her behavior. In the end of V he seems to be keying in to her, not she to him. She remains who she is, and he responds with compassion.

I think we'll begin to see Harry cultivating a life as a selfmade outcast, and he will be drawing parallels between himself and Luna. And as Ron and Hermione are drawn closer (because now that Hernione has a competitor for Ron's attention she'll want to hang on to him) Harry will begin to isolate a little from them, and maybe even become a counsellor to Luna about her unrequieted love for Ron. Then Harry might even make a move on Luna.

Iggie
September 10th, 2003, 2:05 am
Although I really like your reasoning, I have to be a naysayer with regard to NDE. Primarily because Luna shows all the classic signs of a major crush on Ron. She likes him so much she keeps up with his activities (ie who he took to the ball); calls him by the romanticized full name Ronald; breaches protocol by squeezing herself between two people so she can sit next to Ron at the table... the list goes on. I would say that is evidence of her having "personalized" feeling of love.

I don't think that people who have NDEs are *incapable* of personalized love, they just channel their love differently than someone who is "normal". From what I've read so far, while there are some general commonalities between NDEs, the changes made to each experiencer would be dependent on their world view. Perhaps since she is still relatively young, the outcome of her experience reflects her level of maturity, both mental and emotional.

The reason that I'm still weighing the whole NDE option is the scene with Luna talking about her stolen items. I see that as a metaphor for loss in general. Luna *knows* that Harry will see his dead loved ones again, and she knows it with the same certainty that she knows she will get her stolen stuff back. To me, she isn't speaking on a matter of faith, she's speaking from experience, so the question is *how* can she know these things? Maybe, just maybe, she has been "beyond the veil" and knows the truth about what is on the other side.

Coincidentally, there is a website devoted to NDEs at http://www.beyondtheveil.net. Not that it means anything, I just thought that it was interesting. :)

HannahStarr
September 10th, 2003, 2:34 am
i can't see harry going out with luna. he doesn't exactly think she's normal

But Harry's not exactly normal either :wink: I used to be a fan of Harry/Luna, now I'm seeing that they wouldn't work together, for various reasons that I don't feel like typing up at the moment.

zoeydsngwrtr
September 10th, 2003, 5:10 pm
I can see Harry and Luna being good friends, but again, I cannot see them get together.

Though I would have to agree that more and more, Harry is making himself a self-made "outcast" as things get harder and harder, he is pushing everyone away, including, at times, the memory of his father, because he doesn't understand the way that his father was.

EndlessDreamer
September 11th, 2003, 10:59 pm
I can see Harry being drawn to Luna because she doesnt lecture him, she just says what she thinks. OR Harry will try to isolate himself as someone else said, but I think if he does this he'll try to keep away from as many people as possible so he wont get hurt if they die, or they wont be put in danger.

Alia the Ravenclaw
September 12th, 2003, 8:33 am
Hi, all! This may have already been said, but this is my first post here.

Well, I definitely think Luna is extremely gifted (being a Ravenclaw...cough, cough).

I think she's also very mature, not caring what others think of her, but rather doing whatever is comfortable. She also has a lot in common with Harry.

Someone--in my opinion--so subdued like Luna possesses an incredible bounty of inner-strength. Look at Dumbledore...he's always calm. We already know that she's faced death, and we know that she can defend herself (in the DA and the DoM).

Like our three protagonists, I think we can expect great things from Luna as well.

Popkin
September 12th, 2003, 10:24 am
Man, it takes a long time to read through a post like this to post a thought for the first time. Phew!

Some random thoughts in response to all six pages of posts:

Someone mentioned the protagonist from the Little White Horse was able to settle a generational conflict, even though the adults in the book had been unable. That sounds an awful lot like the rivalry between the houses that the Sorting Hat warned everybody about this year. Maybe Luna will be the one to forge an understanding and acceptance between the Hogwarts houses.

Crush on Ron: Maybe Loona has seen Ron before. He doesn't seem to know her, so I doubt she's ever been to his house to see Ginny. Maybe she just notices him around Ottery St. Catchpole (isn't that Ron's, and apparently now Luna's, hometown?).

In the interview at the Royal Albert Hall (on Mugglenet) JKR said of Luna that she was ready to "believe a thousand impossible things before breakfast". This is a paraphrase of the White Queen from Alice Through the Looking Glass and What She Found There. The White Queen was right about the impossible things she believed, because, unlike us, she lived in a world full of impossible things. Maybe Luna also lives in a world full of impossible things - even by wizard standards. I'm really looking forward to seeing the crumple-horned Snorkack.

I can see one way Harry and Luna would hook up. If Harry is the heir of Griffindor and Slytherin, and Luna is the heir of Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff, then, perhaps a union between them would bring peace to Hogwarts.

I had more thoughts, but am just too sleepy to go on. While I'm gone, you can pick apart my ideas. :)

AurorSlayer
September 13th, 2003, 8:31 am
We're being set up with Luna. Her late arrival (at least physically) to the series is very suspicious. Behind Harry, she's my favorite character. I don't see her as a love interest like Cho either. When Harry first saw Cho, it was like thunderbolts going off in his head, with Luna it was a entirely different situation. Nope, I still feel that Luna is a plant of Voldy or a Death Eater.

starxgazer
September 13th, 2003, 6:25 pm
I don't think JKR would put any character in their for no reason. Their has to be something about her that doesn't meet the eye. But I'm shure we will find out in JKR's following books. :)

michelle_31a
September 13th, 2003, 7:52 pm
We're being set up with Luna. Her late arrival (at least physically) to the series is very suspicious. Behind Harry, she's my favorite character. I don't see her as a love interest like Cho either. When Harry first saw Cho, it was like thunderbolts going off in his head, with Luna it was a entirely different situation. Nope, I still feel that Luna is a plant of Voldy or a Death Eater.

LOL! No way!!

Had she been a plant she'd had countless opportunities to betray Harry, especially in the DoM where she easily could have killed Ron and Ginny while helping them escape from the Death Eaters...and don't forget, while we've only seen her in book 5, Ginny's been acquainted with her since well before that, i.e. she just didn't "pop up" out of nowhere.

Also, a plant of Voldemort would be very careful not to draw attention to oneself...and Luna, while not seeking attention, certainly isn't inconspicuous; she would make a lousy spy.

I agree there's a mystery to Luna, but being associated with Voldemort definitely isn't it!

HannahStarr
September 13th, 2003, 10:13 pm
Luna HAS to have some connection to Voldy, she just HAS to! She's Voldy's kid. Her father's a Death Eater. Luna's a Death Eater.

I agree with michelle. There's a mystery, but Voldy's not part of it!

EndlessDreamer
September 13th, 2003, 10:42 pm
Maybe Luna will be the one to forge an understanding and acceptance between the Hogwarts houses

Popkin, I quite like that theory! And would be ever so pleased if it actually happened. Although whoever said the one about Harry and Luna hooking up and bringing peace cuse each of them is the heir to the founders was quite interesting too.

pasmosa
September 14th, 2003, 12:08 am
I like the comparison between Luna and Dumbledore. When Harry first saw Dumbledore, he asked the Weasleys if Dumbledore was a bit crazy, and was told that he is crazy, but brilliant (to paraphrase). Think about all of the quirky things that Dumbledore does, like when he wore a big flowery hat one Christmas, and how he often seems kind of spacy. Underneath his calm, lighthearted exterior he is acutely aware of everything around him. He is also considered abnormal by the MoM wizards, just like Luna is considered abnormal by her peers. But he turned out to be amazingly powerful. I expect a lot from Luna.

AurorSlayer
September 14th, 2003, 1:56 am
LOL! No way!!

Had she been a plant she'd had countless opportunities to betray Harry, especially in the DoM where she easily could have killed Ron and Ginny while helping them escape from the Death Eaters...and don't forget, while we've only seen her in book 5, Ginny's been acquainted with her since well before that, i.e. she just didn't "pop up" out of nowhere.

How do you know that Luna hasn't betrayed Harry already? Isn't it strange that Harry started seeing Voldy's actions only after Luna became friends with Harry? Luna could have slipped some mysterious potion in Harry's butterbeer, or put an undectable curse on Harry when he wasn't looking.

Also, Luna could have tipped off Voldy of Harry's presence at the MoM. She had plenty of opportunities. Luna and Harry were conviently separated as they ran from the Death Eaters after they cast their REDUCTO curse. When Harry did catch up to Luna, Ginny, and Ron, Ginny had mysteriously broken her ankle and Ron was obviously hit with a curse. Luna, however, was left completely unscathed and neglected by whoever supposily attacked them. Why didn't the attacker(s) finish them off? Surely, an experienced Death Eater was not going to let a young fourth year student at Hogwarts scare them off.

If Luna is a plant, like I suspect, her role in betraying Harry may be more about information gathering than out right murder. Furthermore, Luna may also have ambivalent feelings about betraying Harry, which is why she may be hesitant in doing something too harsh. Luna may not be a plant, but her sudden loyalty to Harry should raise flags.

HannahStarr
September 14th, 2003, 2:14 am
AurorSlayer, I'm just wondering: do you really think Luna is affiliated with Death Eaters, or are you just playing Devil's Advocate?

When Harry did catch up to Luna, Ginny, and Ron, Ginny had mysteriously broken her ankle and Ron was obviously hit with a curse. Luna, however, was left completely unscathed and neglected by whoever supposily attacked them. Why didn't the attacker(s) finish them off? Surely, an experienced Death Eater was not going to let a young fourth year student at Hogwarts scare them off.

If Luna had done the curse on Ginny to injure her, Ginny would know because she was still conscious when Harry got back to them. And what had happened to Ron was explained by the brain/memories wrapping themselves around him. I think Luna may be part-something, which would explain why she wasn't hurt. They were probably able to knock the DEs out who were pursuing them with Stupefy, or they were just able to get away in time.

EDIT: Luna may not be a plant, but her sudden loyalty to Harry should raise flags.

Luna never hung out around Harry before because it was only in OotP that she was seen with Ginny a lot, who consequently hung around Harry more than in previous years. She's probably always been "for" him, just never talked to him or showed it.

Popkin
September 14th, 2003, 6:32 am
Back to Luna being "ready to believe a thousand impossible things before breakfast" (JKR, Royal Albert Hall interview): You know how Luna is unphased by whatever is going on around her - like she's been there, done that? Maybe she has been there and done that. Maybe she has had so many incredible adventures with her father, doing research for The Quibbler, that there is nothing new under the sun for Luna.

I also liked the near-death experience theory someone had in this thread. At any rate, I'm sure there's a good reason Luna has such a cool head - and not just that she's spacy.

Runes: Luna was studying the runes puzzle in The Quibbler upside down. She must be pretty good at looking at things in a different way. Wouldn't it be funny if there were some sort of rune puzzle in one of the next two books (from an adventure to Egypt, or a race to discover the meaning of Harry's scar) and Hermione spends weeks researching the subject, as she is apt to do. Then Luna comes up and sees her research for the first time and flippantly gives Hermione the answer. Hermione has been studying ancient runes in class, and is pretty good at the subject. She would either be incredibly put out, or she might begin to see what a brain Luna really is.

EndlessDreamer
September 14th, 2003, 3:42 pm
O my Popkin you have a lot of really good ideas! I like the Runes one a lot and can totally see that happening! Omgoodness cann't you just see the look on Hermiones face! lol I"d probably laugh a lot after reading that part lol

Hpmons
September 14th, 2003, 8:17 pm
How do you know that Luna hasn't betrayed Harry already? Isn't it strange that Harry started seeing Voldy's actions only after Luna became friends with Harry? Luna could have slipped some mysterious potion in Harry's butterbeer, or put an undectable curse on Harry when he wasn't looking.

I have heard this about Luna/Tonks/Kingsley and loads of others...
If you mean the dreams about the corridors, he saw that during the summer holidays, before he even met the Dementors. If you mean the actual visions not about the DoM, he only had three of those in the entire thing (Arthur Weasley, Avery, and Sirius in the DoM), so a lot of things happened before then.

Also, Luna could have tipped off Voldy of Harry's presence at the MoM. She had plenty of opportunities. Luna and Harry were conviently separated as they ran from the Death Eaters after they cast their REDUCTO curse. When Harry did catch up to Luna, Ginny, and Ron, Ginny had mysteriously broken her ankle and Ron was obviously hit with a curse. Luna, however, was left completely unscathed and neglected by whoever supposily attacked them. Why didn't the attacker(s) finish them off? Surely, an experienced Death Eater was not going to let a young fourth year student at Hogwarts scare them off.

Like HannahStarr said, Ron and Ginny would notice if Luna hurt them, adn the fact that Luna was not hurt at all is just one of those mysteries we hope to find out about.

I think the near-death experience thing is one of the best theories I have heard!

noddwyd
September 17th, 2003, 12:52 am
The fact that Luna didn't really sustain any damage like the others does raise some questions. Is she just that good? Harry wasn't really injured much either, you know. But everybody else was. Even Neville, who is starting to show what he's really made of. I believe she got knocked out when they were trying to seal all the doors into that one room and they blasted through the last one, stunning her in the process. It may have something to do with her mother and the experimental spell she was working on when she died. Maybe it was about to hit Luna and her mother jumped in front of it, and as a result, Luna has the same type of magical protection that Harry does. Or maybe she is just special in some other way, like some people suggested immortal, or even a vampire. We don't know what the rules are for vampires in the hp world are so it's possible. In any case, she's obviously a good person to have around in a situation like that. She doesn't easily lose her head, that's for sure.

GryffindorSeeker
September 17th, 2003, 12:58 am
Oh, Luna.
I seriously doubt that she would betray Harry and co. I don't know why, but that's just what my gut says.
I think the reason we start seeing Luna now is because now she begins to play a role. I don't think there really would have been any reason to have her in the books before now.

Jessica
September 18th, 2003, 4:29 am
I think Luna is another example of JKR twisting our muggle beliefs.

Prophecies and astrology are a sham - oops not so much.

Rags like the National Enquirer are a sham - Oh wait , they told the truth about Harry and (we suspect) some other things too.

Although I do have my doubts about the goblin pie.

I'm not in love with Luna. I didn't really bond with her as a character but I trust that JKR will change my mind by the end of 7.

In the year 2015.

EndlessDreamer
September 18th, 2003, 6:43 pm
In the year 2015

That confused me.

Jessica
September 18th, 2003, 7:52 pm
Sorry. that was a(hopefully) joke. Implying that Book 7 wouldn't be published until the year 2015.

More of a nightmare than a joke really.

EndlessDreamer
September 19th, 2003, 2:55 am
Sorry. that was a(hopefully) joke. Implying that Book 7 wouldn't be published until the year 2015.

More of a nightmare than a joke really.

Oh, lol thanx for explaining, and yes very much so that would be a nightmare.

Alright back to Luna, I can really see her as being the person that Harry talks to about the stuff he usually keeps to himself, the stuff that he always goes over in his head how Ron and Hermione will react.

Elviriel
September 19th, 2003, 5:00 am
I can't see Luna betraying Harry ... she's so cool. I didn't really like her at the beginning but then I did like her especially when she talks about the Thestrals and how people took her stuff :frown: bad people.
I like the fact that she's weird. Reminds me of... myself. I'm a nerd like Hermione, a shy girl like Ginny of the beginning and a cool girl like the oher Ginny and a weirdo like Luna and I'm shallow sometimes like Parvati or Lavender. I'm a mix of all the HP females !! :lol: I didn't invent that. Somebody actually did tell me that ! :whistle:
Anyway, I don't know what Luna's purpose could be ... maybe helping Harry finding out the secrets of the Veil ...

rotsiepots
September 19th, 2003, 10:43 am
I think Luna is too dippy to become heavily involved in the fight against Voldemort. I think, given the opportunity, she would be very effective in the anti-Voldemort campaign, but she just strikes me as too...flighty to be effective.

That being said, perhaps the end of OotP will mark a new start for Luna? There's only so many times that you can battle against Death Eaters and not become involved in the alliance against Voldemort.

One thing I do know is that Luna won't betray Harry. She definitely doesn't seem the type. :no:

EndlessDreamer
September 19th, 2003, 11:11 pm
There's only so many times that you can battle against Death Eaters and not become involved in the alliance against Voldemort.

But she only fought against Voldy in the DoM, so she could not become a regular in the fights. I love luna!

HannahStarr
September 20th, 2003, 1:19 am
EndlessDreamer: Luna didn't fight against LV, she fought against DEs. And, I disagree, rotsiepots. I think Luna has proved herself in the DoM, and will become a valuable asset against Voldy. How, I don't know. but I just have a feeling :)

EndlessDreamer
September 20th, 2003, 4:28 am
Luna didn't fight against LV, she fought against DEs

That's what I meant, I wasnt paying attention as I was typing, but thanks for correcting me.

NIrvanaFreak
October 10th, 2003, 5:04 am
Luna is there for Harry to relate to. She knows what it's like to lose a family member, and she knows what it's like to be bullied. She knows what it's like to be thought of as crazy (or loony...haha) in the wizarding world....that is the only reason that I could think of for her being in the book.

Cish_hp92
October 10th, 2003, 12:23 pm
Luna has been dropped to develop further - she's gotta have some meaning in the story, or else wy include her??i think she might be on to someting with the heliopaths

CentaurFirenze
October 27th, 2003, 2:12 am
I think one of the reasons Luna was introduced was to show Hermione that everything doesn't need to be scientifically proven to be real. I think that will be important at one point.

Jill
October 27th, 2003, 2:20 am
Yes and Luna always struck me as someone who spent the majority of her day thinking about complex problems. Her posture, what with her hand on her chin and always looking up. Sucking on lolly pops like Dumbledore eats Sherbet lemons to help him think.

Luna struck me as a very thoughtful person and an intelligence to match. I think she is just a little reserved to come forward with her ideas because everyone thinks she is crazy and makes fun of her for that. She seemed to know a lot about what was in the department of mysteries as well. This makes me wonder whether her father really works for the quibler or whether that is just a cover for what his real job is. To work in the department of mysteries.

EndlessDreamer
October 27th, 2003, 3:30 am
I think one of the reasons Luna was introduced was to show Hermione that everything doesn't need to be scientifically proven to be real. I think that will be important at one point.

Yeah, I must agree with that point as well. Luna was introduced to us for many reasons already mentioned as well as for this. I think in the end Luna will help each of the trio, and Neville (maybe) figure out something about the world itself, and that in turn will make a change in them.

ParselTongue
January 29th, 2004, 9:45 pm
Loony Luna Lovegood, what can I say about her, hmmmmm. I loved Luna, at the end Harry felt realy comfortable talking to her even about Sirius and showed sympathy towards others treating her bad because they think she's a bit off. She is the one who had the idea how to get to the DoM in Ootp, her dad published Harrys article, and she was good for laughs. I realy loved Loony in the book and cant help but think there may be a Harry/Loony relationship sense it almost seems Ginny is over Harry.

LumosSoleil
January 30th, 2004, 12:58 am
You know I really do like Luna's character. She was never considered stupid, just loony. She is already, in my opinion, more than meets the eye. Just by reading book 5 we all know she is special, and I don't mean "retarded" special.
She can see thestrals, didn't get hurt in DoM, and hear the whispers behind the veil. Of all the characters we all know, the only one so far that came close to similarities with what Harry is going through and can relate with is Luna.

pasmosa
January 31st, 2004, 1:30 am
You know I really do like Luna's character. She was never considered stupid, just loony. She is already, in my opinion, more than meets the eye. Just by reading book 5 we all know she is special, and I don't mean "retarded" special.
She can see thestrals, didn't get hurt in DoM, and hear the whispers behind the veil. Of all the characters we all know, the only one so far that came close to similarities with what Harry is going through and can relate with is Luna.

You are absolutely right. She is really smart and wise, just not conventional. Sort of like Dumbledore.

When I first read OotP, she kind of bugged me. Now she has really grown on me. I like her a lot now that I have gotten accustomed to her and can appreciate all of her qualities. I think we all know someone like that in the real world.

maeve
February 20th, 2004, 7:58 pm
At the end of OotP Luna talked to Harry and made him feel better, less alone. I think they will become friends (and maybe more) in book six. She saw her mother die and he saw both his parents die. And of course he has just lost Sirius. I think we can expect much more from her. I see her becoming an understanding friend for Harry while he's dealing with the repercussions of losing Sirius.

ThruTheVeil
February 20th, 2004, 10:26 pm
I think we all can agree that Luna is definitely intelligent. There is a brain full of information and ideas behind that dazed and confused look. Plus, she was put into Ravenclaw by the Sorting Hat, and of course Ravenclaw's students are supposed to be the brightest.

As for her being a true Seer, I don't know about that. It's not a bad thought, but she hasn't pulled a Trelawney and gone into some sort of trance. (Not that we've seen anyway.) What I think might explain her oddness is her mother. She says this in OotP: "She was a quite extraordinary witch, you know, but she did like to experiment and one of her spells went rather badly wrong one day. I was nine" (Page 863, American OotP). Is it a possibility that her mother might have "experimented" on Luna at one time? It's just a thought, and the only proof to back it up is that quote. In other words, I'm just throwing it out to see what the rest of you think. :huh:

ThruTheVeil
February 20th, 2004, 10:29 pm
When I first read OotP, she kind of bugged me. Now she has really grown on me. I like her a lot now that I have gotten accustomed to her and can appreciate all of her qualities. I think we all know someone like that in the real world.

I felt exactly the same way after reading OotP for the first time. And, like you said, she has grown on me also.

Rattan
May 27th, 2004, 12:45 am
At the end of OotP Luna talked to Harry and made him feel better, less alone. I think they will become friends (and maybe more) in book six. She saw her mother die and he saw both his parents die. And of course he has just lost Sirius. I think we can expect much more from her. I see her becoming an understanding friend for Harry while he's dealing with the repercussions of losing Sirius.
I thought that part of the book really showed that Luna wasn't just some tossed in character and that she could become a great friend for Harry. Also it convinced me to join the Luna/Harry shippers.

Faile Aybara
May 27th, 2004, 1:07 am
i agree with you. Luna supported Harry when he was in need and he didn't want to talk to anyone else. i think that there could be room for a Luna/Harry relationship too. :whistle:

whizbang121
June 19th, 2004, 12:55 am
Lunda may also supply Harry with some links to his past that are so desperately missing. She may be able to explain the wizarding world's ways of handling death.

mevam
June 19th, 2004, 5:23 am
I thought that Hermione was probably the strongest female student at Hogwarts, but after reading about Luna, I think that she is the most capable witch at Hogwarts. She allows herself to look beyond what is written in a book, unlike Hermione, and she isn't afraid to believe beyond what the world teaches her, and that takes a lot of courage and a lot of vision, something that Luna has way more of than Hermione. There's this interesting constrast between Hermione and Luna, and its one that I feel will be to Harry's benefit. What he needs less of now that he knows he's a marked man, is the common sense know-it-all-isms of Hermione, and he just needs to be with someone who understands what it feels like to be left out.

Hali Felton
June 19th, 2004, 6:51 am
She REALLY had no purpose in this book whatsoever. I can't imagine JKR ever sticking a character that spacey in book 5 for no apparent reason. She's GOT to play a bigger part...

i completley agree with that. but she did play a small part in this book; in the end when Harry is supposed to be at the feast, she meets him in the corridor and talks to him. she said that she would see her mother again, and that there were people just beyond the veil. Harry was comforted slightly about Sirius' death. Not that big, yes, but she will DEFINATLY play a bigger part in future books. (i vote to date Ron)

[/QUOTE]They mention that her mom died because she did experiments with magic- I've also heard people talkign rumors about the next book and important pieces of magic such as a green flame etc.... maybe whatever experiments Luna's mother was involved in will be helpful to Harry- it also mentions that you can see thestrals if you see someone die- so if Luna saw what killed her mother (and she was 9 at the time) then she might have some knowledge which will prove very helpful to harry later on
[QUOTE]

I like this thought too.

LumosSoleil
June 19th, 2004, 8:58 am
I thought that Hermione was probably the strongest female student at Hogwarts, but after reading about Luna, I think that she is the most capable witch at Hogwarts. She allows herself to look beyond what is written in a book, unlike Hermione, and she isn't afraid to believe beyond what the world teaches her, and that takes a lot of courage and a lot of vision, something that Luna has way more of than Hermione. There's this interesting constrast between Hermione and Luna, and its one that I feel will be to Harry's benefit. What he needs less of now that he knows he's a marked man, is the common sense know-it-all-isms of Hermione, and he just needs to be with someone who understands what it feels like to be left out.
Nice thought :cool: I like it that it was Luna not Hermione who finally comforts him, and with no effort, I may add. That's true that they both are singled out. I also like it that Harry's inner circle has expanded. He also have more associates than he did before (the D.A.). Luna may come in as great aid to Harry. He needs as many allies as he can get. Luna is a great asset on Harry's side because she is quirky but has the aura of wisdom beyond her years that, as you've stated, Hermione can only achieve through books which can break mysteries we've been questioning about. Of course, one being the veil. The other being that locked door at DoM. Hopefully we weren't tricked into thinking those 'creatures' she so strongly believes to exist aren't real. If they are real, then they may come as great aid to the good side.

honeycombe
June 19th, 2004, 11:03 pm
I've had this theory for a while that both luna's parents were unspeakable's and her mum died while doing some experiments but this was maybe swept under the rug or badly dealt with which perhaps angered her father. i've always seen him as one of those ex-agent types who is trying to reveal conspiricies to the world and they are in fact true but everyone thinks they're a joke...and along comes the quibbler. It kinda explains luna being in ravenclaw (she's probabley clever and talks about the stuff with her dad) and how everyone thinks she's loony. This idea also brings about many ways in which luna could be important in future books. Do you think we'll ever meet her dad? the loovegoods do live in the same area as the weasleys after all!

P.S. i really don't see harry and luna as a couple but i definitely see them getting closer in a way he wouldn't be able to with neither ron/hermione or any girlfriend.

Layla
June 20th, 2004, 1:34 pm
I agree with everyone else... I felt that there was no need to have Luna in the book and my only conclusion is that JKR put her there because either (1) Luna is a source of hints, or (2) she will do something really big later on.

Arthur_Weasley
June 20th, 2004, 8:03 pm
I do think that Luna will have a greater role as the books go on. Will there be a Harry/Luna relationship? I'm not so sure. I think that there has to be a bit of a development between them friendship-wise before that can happen. And remember, it took harry three books to finally get into something with Cho...and I think that if they were going to get together, it wouldn't happen until book 7.

I do think that she'll play an important role with the whole veil thing...and she might help Harry speak with Sirius again. She does have many thing in common with Harry...losing a parent, hearing the voices behind the veil, seeing Thestrals...etc. There is room for development there.

ravenclaw02
June 21st, 2004, 4:43 am
I have to disagree that Luna had no purpose in the books! At first, I was not a huge fan of hers, but the more I read OOTP and think about it, the more Luna emerges as a truly great character. Aside from her superficial purposes (explaining the thestrals, facilitating the Quibbler interview with Harry, etc.), I believe that she has broader implications which we'll see developed more in 6 & 7. At the end of 5, Luna is the only one who Harry truly empathizes with - consider their conversation during the Leaving Feast. Luna seems to be an old soul: she is dotty, but also very wise. She seems to me to be someone who's so secure in who she is that she allows herself to think completely outside the box, without fear of what others think of her. She also appears completely innocuous to everyone else, since she's so loopy, which may be her greatest asset - people are constantly underestimating her, so she can often sneak in under the radar. We know that she's incredibly smart - she's a Ravenclaw, after all - and knows a lot about others (consider the scene on the Hogwarts Express, and how much she knows about Ron). She's probably both intiuitive and perceptive - she can read people well, but also listens keenly to what people are saying. The Quibbler, which as we all know is edited by her father, comes off as ridiculous, but not so ridiculous that people would discount Harry's interview. It could be an important vehicle in the future.
Luna also seems important as a foil to Hermione. Luna's also brainy, but in a completely different way than Hermione is (perhaps the whole 'natural-smarts' versus 'book-smarts' thing?). She obviously gets under Hermione's skin, so it will take some real character growth on Hermione's part to come around to including Luna in the group.
I don't believe that Harry and Luna will get together, not only because I see Harry/Ginny potential above all other possible Harry- ships, but also because I think Luna is too much of an old soul to get involved in high-school relationships.
All in all, I encourage everyone not to discount Luna! JKR wouldn't just throw her in and make her prominant in Book 5 to then have her dissapear! I think that we've only begun to see what Ms. Lovegood has to offer, and I'll be interested to see how she develops in 6 & 7.

forgetfulgenius
June 22nd, 2004, 8:43 pm
I haven't had time to read all through this, but am i the only one to think that Luna may at one point have been hit by a memory charm? Her vagueness, and dreamlike expression seem to me to be consistent with the symptoms of the obliviate charm. I know that she has moments of total lucidity, etc, but I still reckon this is a possibility.

And this could lead to interesting questions. Why did she need the charm? Was it about the same time that her mother was killed? What do you all think?

Stephie
June 22nd, 2004, 10:29 pm
Well, JK began Luna in book 4. It was only a mention of the Lovegoods in a sentence, but that's enough. If she's going to be an important character in a book like JK's, and she's mentioned in a book before she's introduced, she has to be pretty important.

Then, at the end of book 5 in the DoM, she was there, helping Harry and co. There's got to be more of her in book 6. And I also sensed she would be important when she talked to Harry at the end. There was a lot of foreshadowing and clues.

DarkMark
June 23rd, 2004, 12:10 am
i agree with ravenclaw02. Luna was a key figure in book 5 and i believe she will continue to be in the next two installments. Luna was my favourite character in OoTP and i think that she has been put in there to contrast Hermoine but also answer some of the questions that need answering. I hope there is more of her in book 6!

jen15poms
June 26th, 2004, 3:44 am
I thought that Luna was a great addition to the story. She was entertaining...a bit "out there" but overall she was a fun character. I definitely see her playing a larger role in the next two books. I also really enjoyed a theory that I read about Tonks and Luna being the same person. If you think about it, it really could work. First of all, both characters were introduced in OotP. We have no idea where Tonks has been up until this point. (Yes, she was studying to be an Auror, but other than that, we have no background information.) Secondly, we know that Tonks is a Metamorphmagus. That means that she can change her appearance at will. Both characters seem very eccentric and have a lot in common. I just think that it is too much of a coincidence that Tonks shows up, we are told that she can change her appearance, and then the kids get to school and here is this new girl (who apparently isn't new at all, as Ginny has met her before.) It just seems odd that she would push herself into Harry's group of friends for no apparent reason. I love to think that Luna and Tonks are the same person. After all, we know that the Order has people watching Harry all over the place. Having someone in his inner circle sure wouldn't hurt either!