Harry Potter phrases you use in real life.

Pages : [1] 2 3

Slartibartfast
March 3rd, 2010, 4:37 am
(Not sure where to stick this thread so if its in the wrong spot, feel free to move it.)

What are some of the things from HP you actually use in real life?

One thing i always use: Some variation of "I solemnly swear I am up to no good." Such as: "[insert name here] solemnly swears they are up to no good." My mum does it too.

snapes_witch
March 3rd, 2010, 8:44 am
(Not sure where to stick this thread so if its in the wrong spot, feel free to move it.)

What are some of the things from HP you actually use in real life?

One thing i always use: Some variation of "I solemnly swear I am up to no good." Such as: "[insert name here] solemnly swears they are up to no good." My mum does it too.

I'm fond of dunderhead; there seem to be so many in my personal life. BTW long before JKR and Severus Snape, Sherlock Holmes used it in his first appearance in A Study in Scarlet.

gertiekeddle
March 3rd, 2010, 9:45 am
I used Accio in the past, despite me knowing it wouldn't work. There are these lazy moments in life when you don't want to go up to reach a thing...

GinnyPotter15
March 3rd, 2010, 10:00 am
I used Accio in the past, despite me knowing it wouldn't work. There are these lazy moments in life when you don't want to go up to reach a thing...

I too have used Accio and Wimgardium Leviosa and prayed it would work. It didn't. I even used the remote to do the proper movements of the wand. Epic failure. I was very disturbed.

xhanax315
March 3rd, 2010, 11:10 am
I always use "Mars is bright tonight" even though I don't know which is Mars when gazing at the sky. :hmm: I also use prat and git all the time too. I'm sure there's probably others, not sure which at the moment. :hmm:

Nyjets4004
March 3rd, 2010, 12:05 pm
I too have used Accio and Wimgardium Leviosa and prayed it would work. It didn't. I even used the remote to do the proper movements of the wand. Epic failure. I was very disturbed.

:lol: same except id use the spell to get my remote and it wouldn't work. I to was disturbed lol. I'm not sure really what i say i guess, im going to school now ill listen to what im saying today. :)

Nagini001
March 3rd, 2010, 2:44 pm
Mine is Rons favorite Bloody, and i think you can fill in the rest. :)

Grymmditch
March 3rd, 2010, 5:07 pm
I sometimes speak a load of "spells" for fun when using my Kymera remote control wand. Geeky, I know..

Personally though, I was never real fond of "Wingardium Leviosa", it seemed too verbose to me. I don't see the necessity of the "Wingardium" part, just "Leviosa" seems perfectly sufficient to me. ;)
Somewhere someone once explained that the windgardium part only referred to the feather in Flitwick's first class, and that other objects would require a different word to precede "leviosa", but canon proves that assumption to be false. It was also used to levitate a number of different objects, including Harry using it on the sidecar to Hagrids/Sirius' motorcycle in DH.

silver ink pot
March 3rd, 2010, 7:44 pm
I tell my kids I'm going to "Go all Snape on them" if they don't do their homework. :lol:

I also use "Accio" and "Evanesca" sometimes.

We joke alot about the Houses. I say that my husband is a Hufflepuff Werewolf and how lucky he is to have a Slytherin like me. :rotfl: My youngest son looks like Little Snape but swears he is a Ravenclaw.

We just generally joke about anything that reminds us of the books.

snugglepot
March 3rd, 2010, 8:42 pm
I often use my favourite Hermione quote from PS;

"What an idiot!"

Plus my favourite Ron quote from the same movie"

"She needs to sort out her priorities!"

Nyjets4004
March 3rd, 2010, 8:46 pm
When im sad sometimes i whisper or think about the words "Expecto Patronum" and i get happier most of the times thinking i made the dementors leave me alone :lol:

ZombieMonkie
March 3rd, 2010, 9:03 pm
Lol, this is wonderful xD Thinking about it, Harry Potter phrases have become a part of my every day speech. Which is saying something since I don't speak English. Anyway, I often use Avada Kedavera(with no real intent, I just like to say it at random moments).

House rivalries are of course encouraged. When coming to the boarding school I'm at now we all had a blast sorting each other and I spent the next two months knitting house scarfs. Obviously I'm a Slytherin, and I ended up sharing room with a Hufflepuff. All Gryffindors are goodheartedly teased :D

Muggle is very often used, too, for any outsider to whatever we're talking about. The phrase "waiting for my Hogwart's letter" is used whenever you wait for something good you don't really think will happen. Sending owls, of course, whenever writing letters or sending snail mail.

There might just be more, but at the moment I can't really remember xD

Morghen
March 3rd, 2010, 9:41 pm
Whenever my mom says to me "Are you serious?" I always reply "Nope, I'm Regulus." :p

Adeline
March 3rd, 2010, 10:53 pm
OMG, you guys are SO cute!! :lol: I really wish i had more HP friends IRL to quote things with! I find myself saying spells as well really randomly all the time at work lol ;) and my coworkers think I'm completely nerdy and dumb I bet. (I'm 25 and so yea... maybe it is embarassing that I do it sometimes :blush:)

Oh but one of my favorites is Hermione's quote when shes trying to teach Ron to do Wingardian Leviosa.... so even though it IS verbose like Grymmditch was saying, I LOVE that quote!!! haha, I just elongate it and emphasize it like crazy wingggggaardian LeviOsa. meh, IDK, I think its funny :P

I can't think of much else that I say, maybe "Mr Potter" like everyone always says to him when they meet him? I think its mainly just spells that I quote.

Queen_Princess
March 3rd, 2010, 11:22 pm
I too use "Accio" anytime I'm too lazy to get something. I obviously know that it isn't going to work, but one can hope!
Also, anytime I'm not listening to someone, not paying attention or just staring into space, people ask me what I'm think about. Sometimes, my respnse it "Sorry, I have Wracksput in my ear again".

Fearless192
March 3rd, 2010, 11:29 pm
I call people "gits" and "prats." Also, when I talk about dorm rooms I call them "dormitories." and the hallways "corridors." I never thought that was strange until my friends called me out on it. I know these aren't exactly phrases that come straight from Harry Potter, but they ARE where I first read them and the reason why I started to say them.

Oh and of course I quote spells all the time. Like a lot of others said, I'm guilty of attempting to use "Accio." :blush:

MaWeasley
March 4th, 2010, 1:03 am
I've said "scurgify" or is it "Scorgify" in a failed effort to clean my house. Guess I'm more like Tonks than Mrs Weasley, unfortunately, when it comes to household spells.

Bella_Crucio_U
March 4th, 2010, 1:25 am
Whenever my mom says to me "Are you serious?" I always reply "Nope, I'm Regulus."

Haha I do that too!

Also, I can never say ridiculous normal. I always have to say it in a sing-song sort of way and wave an imaginary wand. My friend does that too.

I say so many thing...I will post more later when I can actually think of them.

mexicant
March 4th, 2010, 2:15 am
I don't think I ever use them, but my husband does - he says "Riddikulus!" quite a bit, and generally teases me by mentioning Snape or when he thinks I'm being snooty, will sometimes quote Hermione's Wingardium Leviosa correction at me. :rolleyes:

ccollinsmith
March 4th, 2010, 2:29 am
I'm fond of dunderhead; there seem to be so many in my personal life. BTW long before JKR and Severus Snape, Sherlock Holmes used it in his first appearance in A Study in Scarlet.

I'm fond of dunderhead too.

I think mostly, I reference the Houses and Hermione. Like: "I'm being such a little Hermione." Or, "I'm having a Ravenclaw moment." Or "I'm about to go all Gryffindor on you." (I'm very Gryffinclaw, so it all fits!).

jimbobiker
March 4th, 2010, 2:42 am
I'm an avid bicyclist, and I do a lot of riding on the highways near my home, and my city is right at the base of a major mountain range, so I ride on a lot of narrow, winding mountain roads. So I'm often asked if it isn't scary being on a bike on such roads, due to cars getting too close. I tell people who ask that I just point my finger at cars that are coming too close to me and say "Expecto patronum". The cars then veer away from me. (Yeah, right)

Slartibartfast
March 4th, 2010, 5:14 am
Teehee! Here's one just from today! I was watching Ghost Hunters and they had Alcatraz on and i said "oh gods! Its AZKABAN!" and Mum was like "Yeah! The Federal Government is the Dementors!" We chuckled. Dad was all "Hmmm?" I also use the word "prat" quite often. Also "ickle" to describe something little and cute. I know these just British words but yeah.

captain_mills
March 4th, 2010, 5:23 am
One I use often...

"I confess myself... disappointed."

bellatrix93
March 4th, 2010, 6:00 am
I sometimes use Sirius' "The world is not split between good people and Death Eaters". And Mrs. Figg's "There's no point crying over spilt potion"
:lol:.

jimmalougrigsby
March 4th, 2010, 7:54 am
I am also guilty of trying to summon things with "Accio!"

I've also said that there "wasn't enough room to swing a Kneazle."

And if I see anyone with greasy hair (even myself, since I have that tendency...ugh!), I tell them that they have "Severus Snape" hair. Or quote the whole thing about "he can move quicker than Severus Snape when confronted with shampoo".

My family has learned to live with my obsession and just sigh.

Daggerstone
March 4th, 2010, 8:22 am
when he thinks I'm being snooty, will sometimes quote Hermione's Wingardium Leviosa correction at me. :rolleyes:

I do that to martishon all the time! :rotfl:

I positively abuse "...the gesture was undoubtedly fine" line, announce 'cease-fire' mediation to kids with gender-appropriate variation of "Make way for the heir of Slytherin...", and own up to mistakes with "Yeah, yeah, I know... it unscrews the other way."

And Mr Daggerstone finds himself the recipient of a well-rehearsed eyeroll and "You're going to go all (insert-applicable-House-name-here) on me now, aren't you?" at least once a day... :lol:

Yoana
March 4th, 2010, 11:33 am
Ob-vi-ous-ly.

My boyfriend loved randomly shouting Avada Kedavra! at me after he'd just read the books.

silver ink pot
March 4th, 2010, 4:22 pm
I sometimes use Sirius' "The world is not split between good people and Death Eaters". And Mrs. Figg's "There's no point crying over spilt potion"
:lol:.

:lol: I've used "The cats among the pixies now" several times. :rotfl:

(That's actually a spin on Agatha Christie's Miss Marple stories. In those books, Miss Marple will say "The cats among the pigeons now.")

GinnyPotter15
March 4th, 2010, 5:36 pm
Oh and not to forget: MERLIN'S UNDERPANTS!
And I often say "You need to sort out your priorities" in the Ron accent.

PoFoSho
March 4th, 2010, 9:46 pm
me and my sister are always joking about "Wingardium Leviosa" and how in the first book Hermione says, "It's LeviOsa, not Levi-o-sa." And instead of using Leviosa with that saying we'll insert my nickname. haha. Good fun, good fun.

merry18
March 4th, 2010, 10:41 pm
I've called people 'dunderheads' and 'puffed up popinjays' lots of times. And in addition to saying random spells, whenever someone says something super obvious I always say "I'd worked that much out for myself, funnily enough."

Slartibartfast
March 5th, 2010, 1:35 am
I have shouted "Merlin's Beard" before but more akin to my personality: "Merlin's Pants" or "Merlin's Balls!" The last one made my boyfriend crack up heartily.

momof3muggles
March 5th, 2010, 2:23 am
Funny!!

I have used "You're such a muggle" when people just don't get what I am saying!

My 4 year old often talks about Harry James Potter like he's her brother. (One of my sons middle name is James).

I know, those weren't really phrases, but now that I am here I can't think of any I say!

Nyjets4004
March 5th, 2010, 2:37 am
I dont know if this counts but if we ever get a surprise test or quiz id be like bloody hell this never happens at hogwarts

Dobby_26
March 5th, 2010, 4:53 am
hmm I don't really say any from the movie, I do whistle the music constantly though. I also love saying the line from Harry Potter and the Puppet Pals, where Harry tells Neville Hagrid is ten times the man he'll ever be, and to leave Hogwarts.

mexicant
March 5th, 2010, 5:30 am
My two older boys walk around the house singing "Snape, Snape, Severus Snape" now that I think about it...and the younger of the two likes to pipe in with something resembling "Ron! Ron! Ron Weasley!" :lol:

Adeline
March 5th, 2010, 5:50 am
My two older boys walk around the house singing "Snape, Snape, Severus Snape" now that I think about it...and the younger of the two likes to pipe in with something resembling "Ron! Ron! Ron Weasley!" :lol:
OMG! I love that! :lol: so catchy... so constantly quotable :) I would be cracking up all the time if people around me were singing that lol

JJFinch
March 5th, 2010, 8:33 am
And in addition to saying random spells, whenever someone says something super obvious I always say "I'd worked that much out for myself, funnily enough."

Same! That's probably the one I use the most.

I also use Dumbledore's "Forgive my seemly lack of modesty".

bellatrix93
March 5th, 2010, 10:04 am
I am also guilty of trying to summon things with "Accio!"
:lol:. I keep trying this one on my books in hope that it would one day work!

I've also said that there "wasn't enough room to swing a Kneazle."

That's a nice one actually! :lol:.

Morning_Star
March 5th, 2010, 2:08 pm
I use Accio, Wingardium Leviosa, Alohomora and spells like them quite often, hoping that they'll work so I would not, for instance, need to take everything out of my bag to find my keys. (I have a lot of things in that bag, it's not fun putting them back again. :grumble:) Sometimes, if one happens to lie close by, I'll grab a twig, remote control, etc. to go with my spell. Of course, I don't use it when the remote control is the reason for my accioing.

The fact that I speak Norwegian and not English in conversations with others, prevents me from using many of my favourite Harry Potter phrases. It would just sound weird. I won't use the translations of them either, because 1) I haven't read the Norwegian HP books in years so I don't remember them, and 2) it would sound even more silly than using the English ones, because some things that work in English don't work in Norwegian. But if we for a moment pretended English was my first language, I would probably be using "Mars is bright tonight" quite often, sometimes adding "unusually bright" too. :D

Sirius_Weasley
March 7th, 2010, 3:43 am
Lol, I use so many phrases from both the movies and the books, I'm surprised my brother or sister don't think that I actually go to Hogwarts. xD
A few of my faves:
Bloody hell! (Ron)
No idea, and, Obviously. (Snape, in OotP movie; I copy his tone :D)
Git. I love this word.
I sometimes use Merlin's pants! Mostly if I'm alone, though.
Mischief managed, when I... perform a devious deed :evil:
Oh, and I can't forget the notorious "Are you serious??" When my brother asks me that, I usually reply "Nah, do I look like a Grim-like dog to you?" Which annoys him a lot, so he changes his question to "You've gotta be kidding!"
Then I reply that I'm serious. He rolls his eyes and leaves. Muahaha.
Okay, I'll stop now. Anyway, yeah, i use those phrases and more. CBB thinking of them all now. :D

[edit]
Oh, and the spells too. When I turn my light on or off, I do it by magic. And I summon my chair to me when I'm not bothered getting up to get it. *coughcough* I do summon it, really. I mean, it's not like it's a rolling chair and it moves towards me when I kick it or something... not at all... :whistle:

OlorinPotter
March 7th, 2010, 6:40 pm
Suddenly when somebody really annoys me I call them a Muggle.

AMadEyeMoody
March 7th, 2010, 8:48 pm
I often use my favourite Hermione quote from PS;

"What an idiot!"

I say this all the time as well with her intonation, of course.

PupilOfBinns
March 8th, 2010, 12:59 am
I love going around saying "mental" the way Ron says it :D Also, somehow whenever I'm referring to a page in a book or something, I always end up going, "Page three-hundred and ninety-four." the way Snape says it to Harry in the POA film :) I just love that scene, I think it's one of Snape's best.

Montse
March 8th, 2010, 1:03 am
Suddenly when somebody really annoys me I call them a Muggle.
lol, I do that for people who dont love Potter ...not that they really annoy me.
ummm, I use a lot " wicked "
" I solemnly swear I am up to no good" whenever I am about to break a rule.
and I usually cast spells at people that annoy me , just for the fun of what would happen if my pencil worked as a wand.

HesperGamp
March 8th, 2010, 2:21 am
I sometimes throw in some British words like "loads" and "rubbish" subconciously. But other than that, I don't have a phrase I use a lot, except for "accio" when I'm feeling lazy.

However, when I'm with my friends that know the books well, I tend to throw in a couple quotes when they make sense and are funny...anything from "siriusly?" to "the constipation sensation that's gripping the nation" to something Snape said to a wise phrase from Dumbledore. And if I'm on msn or texting someone before bed, I usually say "Now, if you two don't mind, I'm going to bed before either of you come up with another clever idea to get us killed, or worse, expelled." before I go :)

Yuna_Leonhart
March 8th, 2010, 3:13 pm
I sometimes randomly say "Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment1 Tweak!" and some spells, mostly Accio, Wingardium Leviosa, Lumos and Alohomora. Sometimes I also start singing "Snape, Snape, Severus Snape", most of the time my mother joins in, but when she is the one starting it, I throw in a high-pitched "Dumbledore!".

ShadowsEmber
March 8th, 2010, 11:42 pm
I've always been obsessed with UK slang. I still remember my grandmother yelling at me for telling her to "move your bloomin' arse" when I was 6 or 7. :lol: That's probably part of the reason I was so interested to read Philosopher's Stone when it was first released. I definitely picked up a few less common phrases early on. One of which was the idiom, "take a leaf out of someone's book." It's not FROM Harry Potter, but I had never heard it mentioned before that.

Oh! I also love saying "talons and tea leaves." I use it sort of like "odds and ends" and also as a very random away message on AIM.

ally_xx
March 9th, 2010, 9:38 am
Hahaha ohhh my. Where do I begin?

- I say Accio when I'm too lazy to get things.

- I say Lumos when I want a light to go on.

- I pretend sticks are wands and say various spells (would you believe I'm 20?)

- When I see someone being cruel I mutter Sectumsempra under my breath.

- When ever my ears ring I say to myself 'Must be a wrackspurt'.

- If something is floating around in the air I quickly say Wingardium Leviosa to trick my boyfriend into believing I really am a witch.

- When I don't like something and I want it to die (metaphorically of course) I say Avada Kedavra, but for some reason it never works, don't even cause a nose bleed.

- I blame mistakes and accidents on badly used spells.

Wow .... I majorly embarrassed myself right now.

Fgfg
March 9th, 2010, 5:47 pm
I use loads of British terms from reading Harry Potter. (ex. loads, row, bloody, git, occasionally "mum") I don't really use too many Harry Potter terms. Sometimes I say Lumos, but I don't use it in the corecct context. ("Go Lumos that lamp!" instead of "Go turn on that lamp!") and I'll sometimes say "I wish I wasn't a muggle." or "Too bad were muggles."

gelowo93
March 9th, 2010, 8:42 pm
Oh, and I can't forget the notorious "Are you serious??" When my brother asks me that, I usually reply "Nah, do I look like a Grim-like dog to you?" Which annoys him a lot, so he changes his question to "You've gotta be kidding!"
Then I reply that I'm serious. He rolls his eyes and leaves. Muahaha.

:lol::rotfl: that's amazing, I might have to steal it :whistle: although I can hear the groans already if I did use it

I don't really use Harry Potter phrases in real life, although I did manage to get in a "I'd worked that much out for myself, funnily enough" the other day and when I was younger I tried to Summon objects, using the remote control as a wand.

I really want someone around me to say "I don't mean to be rude-" just so I can quote Dumbledore at them :p

gtyjrocks
March 9th, 2010, 11:34 pm
I say Accio alot. I have also said its no use crying over spilt potion.

RemusLupinFan
March 9th, 2010, 11:46 pm
I've been known to say "bloody hell" on occasion.

Fawkesfan1
March 9th, 2010, 11:48 pm
I've been known to say "bloody hell" on occasion.
Me too. Whenever I'm really frustrated about something.

merrymarge
March 10th, 2010, 1:01 am
I don't use the phrases or words from the books. At least I don't think I do. But if I'm out somewhere, and I see a man who is heavyset with a big mustache, I think "there's Uncle Vernon, now where's Petunia and Dudley". And I had an algebra teacher who reminded me of Ludo Bagman that I wanted to report Ludo as posing as a muggle professor here in the U.S. And I think of my aunt as Molly Weasley, only her hair isn't red.
Sometimes when the AZ Legislators make dumb mistakes I think Delores Umbridge is hanging around the Legislators, passing her Educational decrees.

Bella_Crucio_U
March 10th, 2010, 1:33 am
This isn't something I say but it's something I do more than I should. When ever I write the word serious I have to erase because I spell it Sirius. Haha I have done that so many times.

WeasleKing
March 12th, 2010, 4:05 pm
Whenever my mom says to me "Are you serious?" I always reply "Nope, I'm Regulus." :p

Brilliant!! This one really made me laugh. I also use Accio in lazy moments... soo much. But my favourite is Hermione's "Ron, you are the most insensitive wart I have ever had the misfortune to meet" (OOTP). Great thread. Really fun reading it.

:lol::rotfl: that's amazing, I might have to steal it :whistle: although I can hear the groans already if I did use it

I don't really use Harry Potter phrases in real life, although I did manage to get in a "I'd worked that much out for myself, funnily enough" the other day and when I was younger I tried to Summon objects, using the remote control as a wand.

I really want someone around me to say "I don't mean to be rude-" just so I can quote Dumbledore at them :p

"Yet accidental rudeness occurs when we least expect it, so it is better not to say anything at all, my dear man." ... one of Dunmlydorr's best ones!

rereader12
March 12th, 2010, 4:23 pm
The only words I use from Harry Potter are British slang- which I would use anyways, just because I adore England, but I probably use more because of these books. [And, well, if you couldn't tell, I am from the US, haha.]

gelowo93
March 12th, 2010, 7:16 pm
The only words I use from Harry Potter are British slang- which I would use anyways, just because I adore England, but I probably use more because of these books. [And, well, if you couldn't tell, I am from the US, haha.]

I use British slang as well, but I am British so I don't think that really counts for me :lol:

CurseCruciatus
March 12th, 2010, 9:31 pm
I sometimes tell people that they have an intellectual "range of a teaspoon."

Today, one of my friends got a really ugly haircut so I told him that he'd better get Harry Potter's super hair growing powers.

A few days ago, I shouted "Merlin's pants!" when I got mad and had to supress a laugh because of how ridiculous I sounded.

Adeline
March 12th, 2010, 10:48 pm
Today, one of my friends got a really ugly haircut so I told him that he'd better get Harry Potter's super hair growing powers.
Ohhh yea... my co-worker was trying to get dreads for a while, and then finally he gave up and cut his hair. But what was left looked crazy lol! And he kept messing with it so it went everywhere and stuck up in places... so I told him that he has James hair actually since he kept muffing it up :lol:

aaronfeathers13
March 13th, 2010, 1:05 am
I use the word snogging quite a lot at school and also say Bloody you know what comes next.

xweaselkingx
March 13th, 2010, 11:04 am
I'm always saying "Bloody Hell!"

Sirius_Weasley
March 15th, 2010, 10:39 am
that's amazing, I might have to steal it although I can hear the groans already if I did use it

Oi! No stealing my jokes, alright? Or I shall unsleash the ultimate power of-- *insert overly dramatic thunderclap here(actually, a drumroll would work too...)* -- the Siriusly Serious Puns! Muahahaa! :elaugh:

CurseCruciatus
March 15th, 2010, 6:56 pm
I sometimes do Snape's "Obviously" line in his tone, but I do it subconciously. :lol:

LinnendeBlack
March 18th, 2010, 11:34 am
I have used Accio and Wingardium Leviosa and of course Expelliarmus! when joking around with my friends. :D

I sometimes do Snape's "Obviously" line in his tone, but I do it subconciously. :lol:

:lol: Me too! I also have moments in my life when I 'think' like Snape would.

rwobsessed
March 18th, 2010, 7:42 pm
Accio, though of course it doesn't work. Bloody Hell has worked its way into my lingo too, but i think thats more movie Ron Weasley rather than the book?

CurseCruciatus
March 18th, 2010, 9:40 pm
Today, one of my friends said something in her Facebook status about Jacob from Twilight. My reply was..."Remus Lupin is better!"
Every now and then, I've also imagined myself using "Imperio" to get what I want. :lol:

Slartibartfast
March 18th, 2010, 11:21 pm
The other day, i was digging a Cadbury Creme Egg out of my purse and it was difficult to find and i was driving. So i said "Accio Egg!" out loud and my boyfriend gave me a silly look.

PotterFanDuh
March 22nd, 2010, 1:30 am
Sometimes I will say "Avada Kedavra!" or "Expelliarmus!" jokingly to my friends. My sister and I passionately recite Potter Puppet Pals on a near-daily basis, whether it's Harry's song at the end of The Vortex or entries from Snape's Diary. Recently, I've taken to clapping my hands on my head and exclaiming, "Oh my God - I've killed Harry Potter!", British accent and all. :lol:(Neville Longbottom after he gives Harry the gillyweed in GoF)

At school my friend and I were naming as many colors as we could before break ended, and we were running out of ideas, so I said "Black -- Sirius Black." I love Harry Potter jokes. :lol:

theboywholived8
March 22nd, 2010, 2:51 am
haha, these are all awesome!:lol:

I say "Alas!" on a regular basis...like, it's becoming a problem. To be honest though, I really only started saying it after watching Potter Pupped Pals. And I say "Accio Henry!" whenever I want my fat arse cat to sit on my lap. It's worked once or twice :)

I find that my use of Potterisms increases as a release of a book/movie draws near. Before HBP (the film) came out, probably every other sentence I uttered made some sort of reference to HP.

Slartibartfast
April 22nd, 2010, 12:32 am
I say "Alas! Earwax!" quite often. My mum laughs. She gets it.

Krums_Girl
April 22nd, 2010, 1:33 am
I've said "Accio" to get what I want. Never works.

Sometimes my dad and I will have a quote-war; he loves Harry Potter like me. Like my sister is going to college this year and she needed to decide if she wanted to get new books or used books and Dad said, "Get used-they're cheaper." and then I said, "Yeah, get used.....Oh! Maybe you will get the Half-Blood Prince's book!"

willfitz
April 22nd, 2010, 2:10 am
Just last night I was talking to my friend and I said, "that was, if I may say so, one of my more brilliant ideas, and between you and me, that is saying something." I used a slightly Dumbledorish voice.

chaosman
April 22nd, 2010, 2:27 am
Accio is a favorite. I constantly reference the books whenever someone says something that reminds me of a HP moment. My wife and kids are huge HP fans as well but they think I have taken it a bit too far. I get an eye roll or "Dad/Honey you are such a nerd."

momof3muggles
April 22nd, 2010, 2:35 am
I recently realized when I hear someone pronounce a word wrong Hermione's voice is in my head saying "It's lev-i-o-sa, not levi-o-sah". (You get what I am trying to write!)

willfitz
April 22nd, 2010, 8:35 pm
As a threat: "fail to do so, and the consequences will be...severe."

Xeaya
April 29th, 2010, 7:31 am
My friends and I throw Sirius around as much as possible. There are more, but i can't think of em right now...

moogirl
April 29th, 2010, 10:32 am
My sister and I passionately recite Potter Puppet Pals on a near-daily basis, whether it's Harry's song at the end of The Vortex or entries from Snape's Diary.
The Potter Puppet Pals are sources of endless amusement for me and my friends. In a rare silence, someone will just start saying "snape... snape... severus snape..." and we're off! :D

Also random exclamations of "It's a pipe bomb!" "YAY" are frequent. Same with "I feel cranky and pubescent today and I don't know why, I'm going to take it out on people I like!" and "My parents are dead, my life sucks, I can't hold down a girlfriend, and I'm surrounded by beeping goblins all the time, I mean what the beep".

But yes, from the actual series I've mainly gotten stuff from the films, like mannerisms and such. "Levi-oh-sa"...

Slytherin_12
April 29th, 2010, 4:07 pm
I used the word, "muggle'' a couple of times before.

A more commonly used phrase for me would be: "___ points from Gryffindor". I love saying that at random moments. :D

Edit: Now someone mentioned it...I think I do say "Avada Kedrava" whenever I'm briefly mad or annoyed at someone, jokingly. Sometimes Crucio too. Of course, I would never hurt anyone, really. :)
I point my imaginary wand at the person...never works, of course.

Wow, these responses truly show the obsession of our minds. :p

ameliajane
April 29th, 2010, 5:05 pm
I say Snapes "Obviously" quite a lot and also I shout "Silencio" when I want silence XD
I actually shout that at my budgie all the time and it shuts him up.

harrypottergurl
April 29th, 2010, 5:28 pm
I use Bloody H*** sometimes also Silencio when my kids get loud and I can't hear myself think.

gryffindorrulez
April 29th, 2010, 9:59 pm
The Potter Puppet Pals are sources of endless amusement for me and my friends. In a rare silence, someone will just start saying "snape... snape... severus snape..." and we're off! :D

Also random exclamations of "It's a pipe bomb!" "YAY" are frequent. Same with "I feel cranky and pubescent today and I don't know why, I'm going to take it out on people I like!" and "My parents are dead, my life sucks, I can't hold down a girlfriend, and I'm surrounded by beeping goblins all the time, I mean what the beep".

But yes, from the actual series I've mainly gotten stuff from the films, like mannerisms and such. "Levi-oh-sa"...

yes, me anda friend oh mine ALWAYS

use that. CONSTANTLY!

silmarilien
April 30th, 2010, 7:05 pm
Dumbledore's girl through and through!, also Remember Harry when you have to choose between what's right and what is easy, nobody understands me though...(and yes I know it's actually Cedric)

Those I've said the most, I have used accio to get something and I always blame the object in my hand for it not working hahahaha

Once I used alohomora, with no success either :p

I have updated my facebook status with DD's "few words"... Also the mind is not a book to be read at one's leisure..

I always blame wrackspurts for my absentmindedness and various magical creatures for failing, relatively new, appliances.

Haylie
April 30th, 2010, 11:35 pm
My best friends and I continuoulsy quote Harry Potter Puppet Pals, usually saying things such as "Loose some weight before you hug me, Ron." or "I mean every word I ever say ever, because I'm -insert name here-!"

And of course the old "Accio!" when I can't reach something.
A new personal favorite of ours is quoting Harry when he's all jacked up on Felix in the Sixth Movie.

If one of us is reading a good book, we will bust out in song with "THIS BOOK IS SO AWESOME! I can do anything!" from the hit single by Harry and the Potters.

Nothing too crazy... but I know I quote something Potter-related at least three times a day.

Briangel
May 1st, 2010, 12:05 am
Haha, I make references to Harry Potter as much as I possibly can.. What I can recall doing most often is saying 'Accio' and pray it works.
Oh, and I frequently find myself quoting the Potter Puppet Pals. I can do good impersonations of them.. "I found the source of the ticking! It's a pipe bomb!"

Smartwitch15
May 1st, 2010, 5:01 pm
My sister and I quote the movies ALL the time. We say "Right" like Hagrid does in the movies and my sister will occasionally say, "Pull yourself together man" like Filch says to Hagrid after Norbert is taken away. It sounds EXACTLY like Filch and it's actually sorta creepy.
My friends and I recently discovered a pick up line that goes, "If I were looking in the Mirror of Erised, I'd see you standing next to me." We love it! (although we don't really use it)
I relate almost anything to Harry Potter and it drives my parents up the wall!

Slartibartfast
May 1st, 2010, 9:09 pm
"Alas! Earwax." Ive been using that one a lot lately. It makes some people chuckle since they know it from the film.

ignisia
May 1st, 2010, 10:06 pm
...I almost said "For Merlin's Sake" a few days ago. :lol: The sad thing is, I'm not sure if anyone ever says that in canon. :whistle:

Nyjets4004
May 1st, 2010, 10:32 pm
...I almost said "For Merlin's Sake" a few days ago. :lol: The sad thing is, I'm not sure if anyone ever says that in canon. :whistle:

I can say the same except at one point i was like "Merilns balls!" lol :D

LindaZhu
May 1st, 2010, 11:34 pm
A new personal favorite of ours is quoting Harry when he's all jacked up on Felix in the Sixth Movie.

If one of us is reading a good book, we will bust out in song with "THIS BOOK IS SO AWESOME! I can do anything!" from the hit single by Harry and the Potters.

Oh, and I frequently find myself quoting the Potter Puppet Pals. I can do good impersonations of them.. "I found the source of the ticking! It's a pipe bomb!"

I do all of this, and i've also recently caught myself saying "MERLIN'S BEARD!", Slughorn in HBP-style, several times.

Freak of nature
May 2nd, 2010, 9:26 am
I use the emotional range of a teaspoon quite often and Snape's Obviously too.

CowsRSkary
May 2nd, 2010, 9:29 am
I tell people Crucio all the time.

Tonks_Animagus
May 2nd, 2010, 9:34 am
I love saying Lumos! everytime I turn on the light! :D
Oh, and I say Avada Kedavra! to tease HP fans in real life when they get on my nerves.
What? It's funny... :lol:

msstinson
May 5th, 2010, 8:10 pm
i constantly use the phrases "have a kip" and "sod off" i also sometimes call my step mother mum.

my ex-boyfriend would sometimes ask me to bring him things by saying accio remote control or whatever he was asking for. i would then pick it up and bring it to him and wed joke that he was getting better at that spell all the time.

LunaAvril
May 7th, 2010, 3:02 pm
Have I posted in that thread before? Well, I don't remember... I guess I'm just going to post anyway.

Well, I use to say: "I guess I was just having a Wrackspurt moment." or, when some of my things get lost: "I blame it on the Nargles!". And my best friend have a tendecy to be very anxious and perfectionist; and when she are like that, I call her Hermione, like: "Damn, Hermione, I bet you'll actually be disappointed if you only get a 99% on that test!" And when I talk about something quite obvious that the people around me haven't heard of, I quote Hermione and say: "Oh, don't you ever read!" XD

CSectumsempra
May 9th, 2010, 7:18 pm
Avada Kedavra, when I get mad.
I used to say OMG a lot, but then I say Bloody Hell now.

Lady Elven
May 10th, 2010, 1:00 am
Mostly "Merlin's Beard" or when I've lost something say "where's my rememberall?" and like some others I use accio if I'm too lazy to get up and get what I need.

Nyjets4004
May 10th, 2010, 2:24 am
I read someone said blame it on the Nargles and thats too funny lol, im going to start using that from now on. :)

SirDobster
May 17th, 2010, 8:00 pm
I no longer use the "restroom." It's now the "loo."

Fond of "blimey." And "effing." And "You lot."

Have to refrain from asking "So what are Dementoids DOING in Little Whinging?" when I'm frustrated. Not always applicable to the situation.

I speak slowly, but when tired, even more so. So, the other night, I wasn't making much sense and tried to make a joke by saying, "Speaking. Way. Too. Slowly. And talking. Like Snape." Got a couple of laughs.

I almost called several not-so-nice people Umbridge, Petunia and Vernon, but said nothing and just laughed at how much the real-life people resembled the characters.

Gladheon
May 18th, 2010, 1:00 am
I don't really use too many phrases form Harry Potter itself, but I did start using "Bloody Hell" because of it. My family and close friends also call me Hermoine when I start acting too brainy.
And my brothers and I are very fond of singing the Snape song from Potter Puppet Pals.

Duke_Franiks
May 18th, 2010, 8:52 am
I try to stun those around me when Iam ****** of.

JJFinch
May 20th, 2010, 9:09 am
Lol, most of these are just Britishisms that Americans are using! They're not really "Harry Potter Phrases". Ah well, it's funny. :lol:

TreacleTartlet
May 20th, 2010, 9:52 am
Lol, most of these are just Britishisms that Americans are using! They're not really "Harry Potter Phrases". Ah well, it's funny. :lol:

I was thinking that! :lol:

This isn't a phrase, but the other day I was teaching a class and I could tell what one particular student was thinking. If you have been teaching for as long as I have you develop this sense.;) Anyway, I proceeded to tell her exactly what it was she was thinking, to which she looked stunned and surprised. "How did you know that?" she asked "Ah",I said, "I'm a Legilimens!":evil:

MistressofRaven
May 20th, 2010, 6:00 pm
This isn't a phrase, but the other day I was teaching a class and I could tell what one particular student was thinking. If you have been teaching for as long as I have you develop this sense.;) Anyway, I proceeded to tell her exactly what it was she was thinking, to which she looked stunned and surprised. "How did you know that?" she asked "Ah",I said, "I'm a Legilimens!":evil:

I too always say "I'm a very skilled Legillimens." Or sometimes when I'm playing new Super Mario with my younger cousins and I find all the invisible and hidden passageways I say I found them because "I possess the sight!" channeling Sybil Trelawney.

lovegoodfan001
May 21st, 2010, 1:14 am
I also use "Accio" every once in a while....most of the time I wish it would work so I can find things I need...and this post has given me hilarious and great tips on what to say next time I quote. So...yah. I hoped (most of the time) that I was a witch....but I'm past eleven, so I can't hope it anymore...but I can still wish...right? even though I am only thirteen I need a life so I can stop thinking of Harry Potter as much...oh well.... I try to teach my lil' brother about the wizarding world, but he wont listen and quite frankly, he doesn't care so after a while i gave up. So mainly its accio, wingardium leviosa, and etc.

rocknrolla
May 21st, 2010, 10:35 pm
I've said "Bloody Hell" a few times in my life. Once time I said it to my mom and she got ******.

veelavouivre
May 24th, 2010, 10:09 pm
I have said siriously lots of times. Otherwise, yes, one day I thought "expecto patronum" and in a way it worked, since it made me smile :-)

kayles
May 29th, 2010, 5:35 pm
Merlins beard!

LittleBug
May 29th, 2010, 7:58 pm
I use Accio all the time when I've lost stuff. :)

and I know this is a British phrase but I had never heard about it till I read HP - I use the term snogging now instead of making out.

Nyjets4004
May 29th, 2010, 8:11 pm
I use "Lumos Maxima when i wanna turn of my lights but im to lazy to get up. I say bloody hell quite alot. I tend to switch of between Merlins Beard or Merlins Balls :lol: I say Accio when i dont want to get up and get the remote or my phone. I say Cruccio when someone annoys me but i dont mean it. :scared: and theres more that i have to think of lol

susannahd
May 30th, 2010, 1:24 pm
Absolutely allllllllllllllllllll of the spells, except the unforgivables, of course ;). My friends and I often use variations of having to choose between what is right and what is easy in our school work as well as variations of, it is our choices, far more than our abilities that show us what we truly are.

SpiritThalia
May 30th, 2010, 2:38 pm
I sometimes say "Lumos" when I am turning on a lighter. (Why? To light birthday candles, of course. Why else?) According to Moody, you can probably burn things with Lumos like you can with a lighter, since he burned paper with it...

I also say "Alohamora" when I am trying to get into my brother's room to get my things, and he's locked it shut. Not with Colloportus, though; just a regular lock you buy at a Muggle store (right?).

queenofsugar
May 30th, 2010, 3:06 pm
I say riddikulus a lot, usually when I see something hilarious or that makes no sense. I say accio too...but that's about it on a regular basis. :)

merrymarge
May 30th, 2010, 8:57 pm
I can use the words Prat and Git in Scrabble, but I can't use Nox. And I can't use Lumos or Accio. sigh.

ProtegoTotalum
June 21st, 2010, 5:32 am
I use Accio for absolutely everything. Lumos as well, sometimes. Also once used an HP pick-up line :lol: "Am I looking at a Mirror of Erised or are you just my heart's desire?"

And Ron got me saying "bloody hell" when I was, like...nine....

HirallyFloo
June 22nd, 2010, 6:59 am
Whenever I think someone's just said something really ridiculous or off-the-wall, I say Ron's line from OotP: "What a load of waffle."

Also, "riddikulus" is something I mutter to myself whenever I'm scared of something. Sometimes!

freelantzer
June 23rd, 2010, 6:03 am
Also once used an HP pick-up line "Am I looking at a Mirror of Erised or are you just my heart's desire?"That is hilarious!!! It might work on an HP fan. How'd it go for you? :)

Honeyduke
June 25th, 2010, 3:14 am
i constantly say "Wachoo fell over for." and "atleast im not afraid of my pillow"

WhySoSirius237
June 25th, 2010, 3:42 am
If someone gets up suddenly to do something and returns without telling me what they're doing, I shout as if by a reflex, "What in the name of Merlin's most saggy Y-Fronts was that all about?"

Also if I quote something, like a wise quote from Dumbly-Dore or a witty one from Fred or George, and someone doesn't get it or they just hate Harry Potter, I often use, "Filthy Muggle..."

ellenmichellen
June 25th, 2010, 5:08 am
These really aren't quotes, but whenever I hear someone say "Look at me" or "All was well" I instantly think of the end of Deathly Hallows and want to cry. Basically I'm able to relate almost anything to something from the books or movies. I also say quotes randomly throughout the day, sort people, and wish I could apparate. :D

codenameblue
June 25th, 2010, 2:16 pm
I always say 'Merlin's beard' or 'What in the name of Merlin's underarms?!' =))) It's HILARIOUS seeing the non-HP fan's face :)) Or sometimes, if I am ****** off, I think, 'I would so Avada Kedavra that person/thing/whatever' :lol: It's so funny seeing people's reactions, even those who understand what I'm talking about, haha!

kikiann11
June 25th, 2010, 3:08 pm
I use git, and I know this doesn't really count but I sing the mysterious ticking noise to fill akward silences.

Slartibartfast
June 26th, 2010, 12:20 am
'What in the name of Merlin's underarms?!'
:lol: I love using the Merlin quotes. A lot of people dont get it but you get the few who do and they just grin and grin.

PhoenixGirl111
June 26th, 2010, 7:48 am
I've used insults from HP like "you filthly little Mudblood" and my friends made up their secret handshakes using spells!

codenameblue
June 26th, 2010, 1:36 pm
:lol: I love using the Merlin quotes. A lot of people dont get it but you get the few who do and they just grin and grin.

Yeah, you can totally tell who the HP fans really are when they get the joke :lol:

Tonks_Animagus
June 26th, 2010, 4:21 pm
Oh yeah, also, I say Accio everytime I want something and I'm too bored to get up and get it :lol: And "Merlin's Beard" all the time instead of "Geez" xD Oh, and sometimes, when my sister asks me, "Are you serious?", I reply "No, I'm not Sirius!" xD

NargleNonsense
June 26th, 2010, 4:34 pm
Not exactly a Harry Potter line, but I use "what the bloody hell" a lot more than previous. And Sometimes I say "Filthy Muggle" when I see a business men akin to Uncle Vernon. :D

heathurrr
June 26th, 2010, 4:36 pm
I often talk about how I have a 'bad case of the nargles'. Haha. That or 'bad case of the wrackspurts'.

Carpalsc
June 28th, 2010, 6:32 am
"Accio remote!" -ultimate laziness.

leah49
June 28th, 2010, 11:10 pm
Watching TV with my sister and in the scene it got all dark and dreary looking, I told her there were dementors nearby.

SirDobster
June 29th, 2010, 5:01 am
I use git, and I know this doesn't really count but I sing the mysterious ticking noise to fill akward silences.

I was explaining the Ticking video to a friend while taking a walk, and someone nearby turned and listened for a bit, but didn't say anything. That thing has more than 80M hits.

Back to the subject -- been using "mate" a lot.

SilverSunMuse
June 29th, 2010, 6:45 am
Yeah like many, I don't use many phrases STRAIGHT from the books, but I have picked up a bit of British lingo from them. Like "bloody hell," "mates," "rubbish," the works :)

caitsQuill
June 29th, 2010, 10:20 pm
I like to walk into rooms, whisper 'lumos', and flick the light switch ^^;
A friend of mine bought me a replica of the Elder wand for my birthday, but before he gave it to me he confessed that he walked around his house with the wand and shouted "LUMOS MAXIMA!" before turning on the lights haha

This isn't strictly HP, but if I say something clever I think "Ten points to Dumbledore" (from a Very Potter Musical)

Oh, and 'Accio'. All the time.

mindtraveler
July 7th, 2010, 7:17 am
I've got to say I like this thread!
I say the following only if I remember HP all of a sudden:
1. I've used "lumos" a few times when it was dark.
2. I've said Snape's "page 394" exactly like he said it in the movie when I was/someone's looking for a page
3. Once, when my sister and I were discussing HP, and the rest of the family didn't understand what we were talking about, I smirked and said "muggles":)
4. This one I quote constantly--from the POA movie, Stanley Shunpike. Sometimes I just say the last line when appropriate. Complete with accent.
"Wachoo doin' down there?
I fell over.
Wachoo fell over for?
I didn't do it on purpose!
Well COME on then! Let's not wait for the grass to grow!"
5. Shrunken head from the Knight Bus (with Jamaican accent).
"Hey guys, guys, why the long faces?"

pumpkinpie4evah
July 7th, 2010, 7:20 am
I've got to say I like this thread!
I say the following only if I remember HP all of a sudden:
1. I've used "lumos" a few times when it was dark.
2. I've said Snape's "page 394" exactly like he said it in the movie when I was/someone's looking for a page
3. Once, when my sister and I were discussing HP, and the rest of the family didn't understand what we were talking about, I smirked and said "muggles":)
4. This one I quote constantly--from the POA movie, Stanley Shunpike. Sometimes I just say the last line when appropriate. Complete with accent.
"Wachoo doin' down there?
I fell over.
Wachoo fell over for?
I didn't do it on purpose!
Well COME on then! Let's not wait for the grass to grow!"
5. Shrunken head from the Knight Bus (with Jamaican accent).
"Hey guys, guys, why the long faces?"

l.m.a.o!!! I particularly like the 'muggles' one. I say 'lumos' 'accio' (obviously, that one never works) 'Oh, Harry' and 'avada kedavra!!!!!!!!!!!!'

SevrusSnape
July 7th, 2010, 8:43 am
My friend one time had a pepsi can and he turned to everyone and quoted Harry in GoF when hes holding the golden egg "you want me to open it, who wants me to open it?"

Also on the 4th of July my friend had a roman candle and as he was shooting it in the sky I started yelling "Morsmordre" (casting the dark mark)

Bella_Crucio_U
July 7th, 2010, 5:04 pm
When people ask "Are you Serious?" I respond "No, I'm Regulus". I have been doing that alot lately.

pumpkinpie4evah
July 7th, 2010, 6:05 pm
When people ask "Are you Serious?" I respond "No, I'm Regulus". I have been doing that alot lately.

lol I forgot about that one. I used to do that all the time XD

EvelynSnape1073
August 1st, 2010, 4:00 am
git,prat,dunderhead,and bloody hell are my favorites.

queenofsugar
August 1st, 2010, 4:34 am
My newest favorite is saying "Alohamora" when I unlock my door. I've also taken to saying "Diagon Ally" insead of diagonally, although that's not directly from the books...:whistle:

Melissa_Potter
August 1st, 2010, 4:56 am
While not a Harry Potter exclusive phrase, I always say "Honestly!" whenever I'm irritated :lol: Being young and reading Harry Potter, I guess Hermione's exasperation stuck with me.

And this one is more of a reference than an actually phrase, but whenever someone's fly is down I whisper to them, "Psst, your Chamber of Secrets is open...". Sometimes they'll get it, sometimes they won't :lol:

East
August 1st, 2010, 5:29 pm
^ That's such an awesome way to tell someone their fly is down lol!

At home I'm not allowed to curse. So if I stub my toe or something, my first instinct it swear loudly, but I'll catch myself in time and say "Merlin's pants!" instead.

LordThingy
August 1st, 2010, 5:31 pm
i use two quotes that are actually from the movies..

"Oh dear, we are in trouble." - Filch in CoS
"There's a storm coming, Harry." - Hagrid, OotP

i don't know how but I seem to always work those quotes into my conversations :p

LoonyLovegood07
August 1st, 2010, 6:04 pm
When my friend and I talk, sometimes we'll slip in those casual little phrases that are from Harry Potter.
Like some other people on this thread, Hermione's frustration stuck with me. It's so like me to get exasperated like her.
When I turn on a flashlight, I say "Lumos!" as well. My mom gets a kick out of that hahaha :rotfl:

Southpaw421
August 1st, 2010, 6:22 pm
When my siblings and I are annoyed with a group of people, we refer to them as "mudbloods", horrible i know. When one of those people, a coworker, weirdo in a bar, whatever is talking to us, one of us will say "the Mudblood's talking to Kreacher, Kreacher's going to pretend he doesn't hear it" (or the exact quote, which I'm blanking on at the moment)

We also use git a lot, especially "Slick Git", which is more from the HBP movie, than the book, but we love it around our house. We took Sorting Hat quizzes on Facebook and refer to the houses it sorted us into. (although my sister cheated and took the quiz over and over until she got Gryfindor:gryff:. I was quite fine with being a Hufflepuff.:huff:)

From the movies, we love the "it's a contibuting factor" quote and use it all the time.

We sometimes refer to our best friend's as our Weezy's. Because we love the scene from GoF when Dobby helps Harry "save his Weezy".

:lol:

Oh, and funny story. I "friended" Severus Snape on Facebook. He never posts, and I forgot that I friended him. Last week, my status was "I solemnly swear I'm up to no good" and my friends commented back and forth. So I check a few years later, and there was a comment from Snape that said "I'll take that map". It was so awesome, I felt like such a geek, because I was so excited when I saw that comment!:clap:

MissGranger1979
August 1st, 2010, 8:41 pm
In the PS movie, Hermione says 'I dunno' in her posh accent when Harry asks who Nicolas Flamel is and I say that quite alot.
Also, in the OotP book Hermione says to Ron 'You are the most insensitive wart I have ever had the misfortune to meet' and I use the 'I have ever had the misfortune to meet' part alot, with a variety of insults before it, depending on who's annoying me :)
And, I quote Hagrid alot from the PS movie - "I shouldn't have said that - I should not have said it!"

TeenMuggle
August 1st, 2010, 9:40 pm
Omg I use sooo many!!
I use "bloody" "git" "sod off" and "snogging" all the time...but seeing as I'm British and I used them before I read HP that's not really that special. :shrug:
I do use "Merlin's beard!" sometimes. I'm also guilty of using "Lumos" and "Accio" on occasion, just out of sheer laziness. I've also taken to pronouncing riddiculous as "Riddikulus", but most people just assume I said it wrong.
I love the whole Sirius/serious joke, but I can't use it since my accent makes them sound completely different and no ones gets it. :sad:
The only other thing I can think of at the moment is when I'm arguing with my sister and I'll say something like "Don't make me Avada Kedavra you!!!" :evil:

LilyDreamsOn
August 1st, 2010, 10:15 pm
I say "bloody hell" a lot. I've definitely used "sheer dumb luck" in McGonagall's tone a few times. And I say "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good" and "Mischief managed" a lot. I once said the latter in an airport and was a little afraid I'd get pulled in for questioning. :lol:

My mom is obsessed with Wingardium Leviosa; she'll grab my wand and swish it around a million times until I steal it back. I'm fond of Accio when I'm feeling lazy... and I'll make fun of Harry's "accio Hagrid!" by trying to accio my sister.

Oh, and "Merlin's beard" and "Merlin's pants" and "Merlin's saggy left--" :D

craiggles
August 1st, 2010, 10:25 pm
I love saying "I read it in Hogwarts, A History" :lol:

Slartibartfast
August 1st, 2010, 10:33 pm
The other day my mum remarked how my face broke out in pimples. (a terrible curse of mine. I feel worse than Eloise Midgeon!) I said "yeah! I look like i have dragon pox!" She was like "O_o"

OkeyDokey
August 1st, 2010, 11:11 pm
I use obliviate when I want to forget something, I pretend as if I'm erasing my own memory.

I use stupefy when I want someone to stay where they are, but I only use that with friends who a) know what I'm talking about b) use the spell too.

Sometimes I say things are "rubbish" or I'll tell someone they're "barking".

Mrk252
August 3rd, 2010, 8:48 pm
Bloody hell! that must be the one I use most and I started using "git" as well. An whenever I'm at a loss for words I think of "Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!" I don't say it out loud though :D

RhinestoneDiary
August 5th, 2010, 10:06 am
Is bloody hell counted?

wolfbrother
August 5th, 2010, 8:20 pm
Is bloody hell counted?

I use that a lot..probably a bit too much.

HDVB
August 5th, 2010, 11:08 pm
I'm quite partial to "It's leviOsa not leviosA!"

Oh, and "That would be counter-productive, sir."

Prince659
August 5th, 2010, 11:42 pm
I use spells. Like, I'll try to summon something with Accio.
I also write siriusly instead of seriously. Wow, that sounds lame. :lol:
And - I just did this yesterday - if someone says "I solemnly swear", I'll finish their sentence with a "that I am up to no good".

Bella_Crucio_U
August 5th, 2010, 11:50 pm
If my sister does something and I like the idea I say "Good one, Goyle. You're absolutely right".

iamwood
August 6th, 2010, 12:02 am
"You ready well know!" and "barking mad" :p

MuggleGirl09
August 6th, 2010, 12:09 am
If my sister does something and I like the idea I say "Good one, Goyle. You're absolutely right".

Haha, I used to use that one all the time. :rotfl:

BETHLIIDD
August 18th, 2010, 6:37 pm
I say git, and that is influence from the books.
and when people say, "Are you serious?" I always say, "No, he's dead.."
but then I get sad because it's true :L
and sometimes I use my eyeliner as a wand.
I am such a nerd.

Edit: And if anybody would ever ask me if I was scared, I would ALWAYS reply: You wish.

HP10yearsx
August 18th, 2010, 6:42 pm
i cant help but calling people " gits" and laugh because of the way Ron says it. I also say " you have an emotional range of a teaspoon" i love sayings like that. Oh come on we all yell out the spells out loud when we have nothing better to do... im a huge hp nerd haha

freelantzer
August 19th, 2010, 12:49 am
I am a teacher, and I was writing the word pensive on the board today, only I couldn't remember how to actually spell it! I wanted to spell it pensieve.

merrymarge
August 19th, 2010, 12:51 am
If I drop something on the floor and pick it up, then I am scrambling around like a Muggle in dirt. I want to pull out my wand and use it to pick up the said object. Unfortunately, no wand.

lemoniceluxe
August 19th, 2010, 1:03 am
I draw a Dark Mark on my arm in eyeliner every morning.

Wand_of_holly
August 20th, 2010, 11:32 pm
I always say "you dozy dog" whenever my dog does something stupid! ;)

I also say "git" and like some others, wave an imaginary wand and say "accio" expecting to see the lost remote zooming toward my hand, but alas, it doesn't work. (Omg, I just said 'alas' I guess I use more of the terminology than I thought!) :rotfl:

faithy
August 21st, 2010, 12:12 pm
I quote loads from HP (I think the fact that it's pretty much the only books that I read has something to do with it),However as no one in my family has read a single HP book.... yet....(I'm reading DH to my brother dispite the fact that he hasn't read anyother HP books) they don't know that I'm quoting HP, unless I say a spell... which I do sometimes. My brothet and I sometimes have wand fights... stupid I know, but....:rotfl: and I alway quote (in Snapes accents) Obviously, that makes my brother laugh. He quotes PPP (The misterious ticking noise) a lot...Which kind of annoyes me as I'm usually doing something :p

I can't really think of what I quote but they are mostly Hermione's I think I use 'I can hardly breathe for laughing' sometimes and 'what and idiot'. I also use 'I'm not and owl' if people ask me to do/ fetch loads of things... and of course I quote some of Dumbledore's epic quotes like.... 'the unknown is what we fear of death and the darkness nothing more' and 'It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live' I used both of thouse last night after going to see inception for the second time (what and EPIC film that is!!!!:yuhup:!). My brother was saying that he was afraid of death... and the dark...

Everness
August 21st, 2010, 12:46 pm
Heh, I always find myself saying Bloody hell.
In an English accent of course :D

xXLilyLunaXx
August 21st, 2010, 3:21 pm
With friends, if somebody is talking about a terrible outcome or something really bad happening to them, I quote Hermione and say "... or worse, expelled!" It always seems to break the tension, and I still find it humourous how she considered death preferable to getting kicked out of Hogwarts, haha.

Ebony_Goddess
August 21st, 2010, 6:15 pm
Me and my friends have like fake duels alot and I always ask people who lose their train of thought if they have wrackspurts floating in their ear

ellenmichellen
September 8th, 2010, 5:13 am
Whenever it's foggy outside, or we've been experiencing consistently dreary weather, I say, in my terribly poor imitation of a British accent, "the dementors are breeding." I'm the only one who laughs. :rolleyes:

megan_black
September 21st, 2010, 12:22 am
i use the Sentence " what in the name of merlins most baggy y-fronts!" alot especaly when my friends tell me somthing stupid of unbelivabal! it always cracks my best friend up yet no body else seems to laugh but me and her :blush:

ActingDude17
September 21st, 2010, 1:52 am
I am a teacher, and I was writing the word pensive on the board today, only I couldn't remember how to actually spell it! I wanted to spell it pensieve.

Please be my teacher.

CurseCruciatus
September 22nd, 2010, 1:44 am
We use the metric system here, so we were having an argument on how much 4 inches is. So I said "Well, four inches is about half a wand and a wand is -this- big, so half of it is -this- big."

BrianSeverus
September 23rd, 2010, 6:09 am
Of all the crazy things: "Passing over Fred's left buttock..." Far too often. It's just such a great way to change topics. Especially when you're around people who don't recognize the reference.

"Constant vigilance!" Used that one just this morning, in fact, when talking about the importance of always checking answers while taking exams.

"That would be counter-productive, sir." For some reason, that one comes up a lot. :huh:

"You disgust me" and "That was not my intention," both from TPT. Scornful Dumbledore improves every situation.

"A contributing factor." I can no longer hear this phrase without thinking about Ginny's skin and cracking up entirely.

"Vell, ve fought bravely" is always a good way to deal with defeat.

And these are just a few...:whistle:

I always use "Mars is bright tonight" even though I don't know which is Mars when gazing at the sky.

I'd forgotten this one; can't think why, since it's something of a staple in my vocabulary. Once a friend and I said it at the same moment, all because somebody had mentioned the stars...

There was a great night last year when Mars actually was unusually bright. It also happened to be a full moon. A great deal of Potter quoting went on that night.

Starling
September 23rd, 2010, 10:59 pm
When something mentions something for the 100th time, "Did I mention that ..." is followed by "once ... or twice ... a minute ... ALL SUMMER!"

jallen
September 24th, 2010, 3:20 am
The Harry Potter books totally converted me into talking in Brit-like manners. My dad often jokes at how I would speak if Harry Potter came from Texas.

Probably the most significant influence is that I consistently refer to kissing as "snogging" nowadays. The sixth HP film also pronounces "schedule" in a different manner, as I now pronounce it. I also occasionally slip in "Merlin's beard!" when I can.

Really, the way I speak is totally different now that I have read the Harry Potter books. Granted, I was only nine years old when I first read the books and my speech would have progressed anyways, but I don't think I would speak nearly as British as I do now without Harry Potter.

brattyc
September 26th, 2010, 3:48 am
I seem to use Bloody Hell quite often and a Merlin's beard slips out now and then. Of course, on a really bad day in rush hour traffic I may do an Avada Kedavra on a car or two :scared: Then I look to make sure there's no Dementors around to take me off to Azkaban-LOL.

Oh, I also found the use of Expecto Patronum quite useful on a bad day when a bit of depression is setting in...it works wonders.

My daughter and her 3 kids will have 'Harry Potter' days when they all speak in English accents and talk 'Potter talk'.

Pensieve_Seeker
September 26th, 2010, 4:52 am
Sometimes when I'm at work I'll refer to my boss as The Dark Lord or He Who Must Not Be Named.

Moriath
September 26th, 2010, 9:07 am
I usually owl people when I send emails.

craiggles
September 26th, 2010, 9:15 am
I also say "git" and like some others, wave an imaginary wand and say "accio" expecting to see the lost remote zooming toward my hand, but alas, it doesn't work.

I do the accio thing too! I feel like such a loser but I'm so glad we're in the same boat. Sometimes I say "colloportus" to myself when I close a door...

PhoebeCaulfield
September 26th, 2010, 10:47 am
A boy in my class always goes "Accio!" when a teacher's lost something, or says "Alohomora!" when someone can't get a door open, stuff like that. I do that sometimes too, but I can't think of any phrases that I regularly use.

And there's a girl in my old Art class who had this comeback for whenever someone says "Are you serious?";

"Are you serious?"
"No, I'm Regulus."

Which I found pretty funny.

Melisa
September 26th, 2010, 4:40 pm
I also go Accio! every time I feel to lazy to stand up and get something :agree:
The most frequent, however, is using OI! both while chatting and speaking. And that is pretty funny because my native language is Spanish :whistle:

SopophorousBean
September 26th, 2010, 4:46 pm
Riddikulus is probably the one I use most often, I have a habit of saying "Are you Sirius?" to everything instead of serious as well :D

My sister and I have replaced pinky promises with unbreakable vows a few time too :P

Vernazz
September 26th, 2010, 6:49 pm
My bad habits are:

What in Dobby's name was that/is going on?

I also love using "git" after Ron, it just sounds so great when he says it.

As I'm English anyway, I say Bloody Hell in my normal voice. Then EVERYTIME I have to follow it with Ron's version. "Bladdy Hell!"

Me and my sister love saying "Scared.. Potter?" in Draco's voice with the pronounced "P" from the Chamber of Secrets movie. Then the other one replies "You wish" and we go into a pretend fight, grabbing the nearest thing that slightly resembles a wand (eg: pens, pencils). That is when we are very hyper / hilariously bored.

We also love to speak Parseltongue to one another, which is usually after the Scared Potter episode. It isn't even a good rendition parseltongue, just random noises starting with S. Haha!

Mettalie
October 1st, 2010, 3:15 pm
As I'm Norwegian, I don't use a lot of English in my everyday language, but I have some things that just blurps out of my mouth sometimes:

I say accio when I'm to lazy to get up and get something, and expect it to zoom towards me, and when it doesn't I often mutter something like "Bloody hell, I hate being a muggle." Also, I tend to say "Are you Sirius?" in English, insted of saying "Are you serious?" in Norwegian. Overall, I talk way too much about Harry Potter, so I tend to say something Harry Potter-related in every other sentence.

UselessCharmMaster
October 2nd, 2010, 1:14 am
Honestly, I never used any HP phrase in a real world.

megan_black
October 2nd, 2010, 2:45 am
i somtimes fall asleep at night watching HP movies and well the next day i somtimes say somthing with a brit accent by accedent and my friends always ask me "are you serious" and i always answer " no thats harrys godfather" and they never get what i am talking about! (they are not HP fans, besides one who never really pays atention to that stuff anyway)

LyraLovegood
October 2nd, 2010, 4:25 pm
"That's completely mental!"

megan_black
October 6th, 2010, 12:32 am
no this is! "nitwit blubber oddment tweak!"

Kierstoast
October 6th, 2010, 1:50 am
....I use like every phrase and make up my own...my days are made up of references that my friends groan at, my parents don't get, and I feel proud of. Prouder than Hagrid when he thought The Monster Book of Monsters was a good idea actually. Prouder than a Hippogriff, than Hermione after she knitted her first house elf hat, etc.

mcatherine
October 6th, 2010, 4:18 pm
Whenever i saw "Obviously" i say it like Snape does in Order of the Pheonix when Umbridge is talking to him about how he teaches potions and not DADA.

LyraLovegood
October 6th, 2010, 4:25 pm
Last time somebody at work said "Are you sirius?" I said "No, I'm Stubby Boardman."

Credit for that goes to somebody on this board, though, who I met at the Sorting Feast when I first registered. Can't remember the screen name, unfortunately.

:blush:

cnewk
October 8th, 2010, 3:25 am
My husband and I make mention a lot of the scene in half blood prince when hagrid says its the eyes of agragog that scares people and then harry says " and the pincers" and does that little finger motion... so whenever one of us is babling the other will do the pincer fingers.

magic_is_might
October 8th, 2010, 4:31 am
Not solely an HP phrase, but I definitely picked up the phrase "mind you,..." from HP :)

ProtegoTotalum
October 13th, 2010, 1:31 am
I tend to do the Snape's "Obviously" thing from the OoTP film fairly regularly...and if someone starts laughing out of nowhere, or something, I'll say, "Amused, Blaise?" as Draco does in the HBP film.

Oh, and I say "Accio" WAY too much.

Wolkenschwimmer
October 15th, 2010, 7:34 pm
Today, I told my mother that 'one can never have enough socks' when she asked me if I needed new socks. :rolleyes:

PotterFanDuh
October 15th, 2010, 11:12 pm
Whenever i saw "Obviously" i say it like Snape does in Order of the Pheonix when Umbridge is talking to him about how he teaches potions and not DADA.

Me too. And I correct people who don't say it like Snape :rotfl:

mrsmalfoy96
October 20th, 2010, 2:51 pm
My little brother and I constantly use the phrases in real life without even thinking twice! We say things such as, “bloody hell,” “Blimey,” and as Hermione says “what an idiot!” My little brother also quotes the spells too. He says, “Alohomora,” when ever he comes to a door! I also love it when he starts saying, “Expecto Patronum!” because then he starts to reenact the scene in the 3rd book when Harry is being attacked by dementors!

delailah
October 22nd, 2010, 1:08 pm
Avada Kedavra :D I killed my grandpa like a billion times. My mum did too.