Things that bothered you about the final film

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Finfromthenorth
July 16th, 2011, 3:38 pm
I am so disappointed in the ending. In thought the whole point of making 2 movies was to make it accurate to the books. The best part of the book was the ending with Harry explaining everything to voldemort. Why he cannot beat Harry. Not to mention the fact that the two dueling stopped everyone else from dueling and were watching it unfold. Ten years in the making and this is the ending for the movie. Not one mention of the hallows in the end. I can't believe jk would allow this. I could not have been more disappointed. I knew the movie would be a bit different but to mess up the ending is ridiculous. I actually thought they did a good job until then. Also can't believe they changed the part where Neville kills nagini. Thanks for reading.

PotterSpell
July 16th, 2011, 6:26 pm
Part 2 may have been the best Potter movie yet, but there were still a couple things the movie did differently that could've been better.

For instance, not explaining Aberforth's back story or the shard. It almost just seemed like a waste even including him if he was just used for the trio to find Neville and get into Hogwarts.

Not mentioning Tonks was pregnant: what was the point of Moody interrupting her in the first movie? How did Harry even know they had a baby? Did the baby even need to be mentioned?

Hermione and Ron trying to kill Nagini just seemed like a waste of time to me. It didn't really seem all that intense or entertaining (especially compared to the scene in Godric's Hollow), and Neville just simply killed the snake from behind.

Lastly, Voldemort's death. How he died in the film just didn't seem clear to me, I didn't even notice he was hit until after he turned into flakes (maybe I'll have to watch it again). I didn't mind the way Voldemort turned into a million pieces, but it seemed kinda unoriginal considering Bellatrix just did the same a minute or two ago by Molly.

Any others?

Potter_118
July 16th, 2011, 7:41 pm
Only two small things I can think of:

Harry killing Voldemort while the two of them were on their knees.

When Snape walks over James' body in TPT he sees Lily laying in the doorway at the end of the hall, but then he enters the bedroom and she's laying by the cot.

July 16th, 2011, 7:55 pm
The number one far and away thing that bothered me the most was no reaction/witnesses to Voldemort's death. The entire 8 movies built up to that point and it had no reaction. It doesn't make any sense.

I really liked the movie but IMO that thing is holding it back a lot.

I also wish they would have shown Fred's death.

hopefulgirl86
July 16th, 2011, 7:57 pm
It bothered me that Harry told Hermione and Ron that he was going into the forest. However, what bothered me the most was that he and Ron didn't even hug good-bye. This is the last time Ron (in their eyes anyway) is going to see Harry, and all he can do is stand back. Same thing that bothered me in the sixth movie too.

I also didn't like how the Slytherin's were sent down to the dungeons rather than being evacuated. They didn't even talk about getting the younger kids out.

I know a lot of people didn't like the battle between Harry and Voldemort, but I did. I wish they would have had more of a duel in the books, so that kind of satisfied me. I just wish Harry still could have taunted Voldemort more, and I didn't like how they didn't have the school watching. And then afterwards, everyone just sat there. I would have like to have seen the scene where everyone runs over and hugs Harry.

I also wish they would have kept the part where Neville killed the snake in front of Voldemort instead of later when Hermione and Ron couldn't. Neville didn't really get his moment to shine in this movie like he should have. I liked seeing his character grow, and so it was a shame that he only got a small part.

I didn't like the part where Harry broke the elder wand. It should have went back into the grave with Dumbledore like in the books. And I wanted to see him fix his old wand with it.

Other than that though, I think I loved most of it. I am watching all seven movies again at home and then I am going to go watch the movie again at the theaters. It will be neat to see all of it all together.

They left a lot of loose ends though, I went to the movies with a friend who only watched the movies and she doesn't understand a lot of it. I had to answer a lot of her questions.

PotterGurl08
July 16th, 2011, 8:03 pm
I wish Teddy Lupin had made it into the film, apart from Harry & Lupin mentioning the baby in the forrest scene.

I was hoping that maybe they would just make it seem that Harry had been gone for at least 9 months and that perhaps Lupin would show up at the battle (or before the battle rather, like briefly in the Room of Requirements, and say something like, "Tonks and I had a baby. So, you'll be godfather."

Then I would have liked to have seen Teddy Lupin in the epilogue, with Harry's family taking the kids to the Hogwarts Express so that we could see Harry was a dedicated godfather as well as a father.

But I still loved the film regardless. Most of the "problems" I have with it are stuff that I didn't think of until quite some time after I had seen the film. None of it bothered me while I was watching, or immediately after watching.

phoenix88
July 16th, 2011, 8:09 pm
Just a few minor gripes

1- I wish they had made it clear Harry was master of all the hallows. A few people kept wondering how he survived and did not pick up on the fact the cloak was a hallow. It also would have been nice for harry to tell voldemort that he was the true master of the elder wand before it flew into his hand.

2- I really wanted to see more of the actual battle. The buildup was great, but I wanted more dueling.

3- as many have said, I think it shortchanged Ron to have him just stare at Harry before he was going to walk into the forest. They should have kept it like the book.

4- I think they should have shown Fred's death. It was so heartbreaking in the book

Overall, I still liked the movie and it included most of the highlights of the book. It just felt rushed at time. I would have preferred less scene splicing and some calmer moments here and there.

Wimsey
July 16th, 2011, 8:11 pm
They should have swapped Tonks & Lupin for Bill & Fleur at Shell Cottage at the outset. That would have made them a bit more "memorable" and their deaths a bit more meaningful: they would have been the people who'd sheltered Harry at the beginning of the film. Also, we could have seen Lupin's son, and Lupin's (& Harry's) reaction to parenthood.

Other than that, they needed a little more Snape early: something else to make us wonder what he really was doing other than the Goblin's little line.

3- as many have said, I think it shortchanged Ron to have him just stare at Harry before he was going to walk into the forest. They should have kept it like the book.But then it wouldn't have been like the book: we never would have gotten the all-important lines about Harry feeling like he'd always known that he was a Horcrux and that it was going to have to end like that. Well, not unless they'd done the dreaded voice-over narration or had Harry go Shakespeare on us and give us a soliloquy! :cool: Really, Ron & Hermione are the only people to whom Harry could deliver those lines.

phoenix88
July 16th, 2011, 8:19 pm
They should have swapped Tonks & Lupin for Bill & Fleur at Shell Cottage at the outset. That would have made them a bit more "memorable" and their deaths a bit more meaningful: they would have been the people who'd sheltered Harry at the beginning of the film. Also, we could have seen Lupin's son, and Lupin's (& Harry's) reaction to parenthood.

Other than that, they needed a little more Snape early: something else to make us wonder what he really was doing other than the Goblin's little line.

But then it wouldn't have been like the book: we never would have gotten the all-important lines about Harry feeling like he'd always known that he was a Horcrux and that it was going to have to end like that. Well, not unless they'd done the dreaded voice-over narration or had Harry go Shakespeare on us and give us a soliloquy! :cool: Really, Ron & Hermione are the only people to whom Harry could deliver those lines.

Oh, I see your point. This was a way for the filmmakers to make it clear to the audience what Harry realized internally in the book-that he was a horcrux and had to die. You should mention that in the discussion thread since everyone was complaining about that.

James26
July 16th, 2011, 8:25 pm
Lavender brown being ate -.- Was that really nessessary?

lumoshemuttered
July 16th, 2011, 8:37 pm

Wasn't this in the book, though? I don't have it next to me but I'm positive JKR wrote something about Greyback hunched over her 'feebly stirring body'.

I really didn't like Harry telling Ron and Hermione about his plans to die, although after reading this thread, I can understand more why they did that.

I'm not sure how I feel about them giving Neville all those feelings for Luna. I think they're adorable together, especially Evanna and Matt in real life, but they are two major characters, so to put them together when that didn't really happen in the books seems a little surprising.

Sherazad
July 16th, 2011, 8:44 pm
I prefer Part 2 over the 1st one to be honest, even though there are several things that bothered me much. I liked the battle between Harry and Voldemort, I found it more satisfying than the book where the two of them run in circle and talk...So i think the scene in this movie is way more plausible. I didn't like at all the fact nobody cheers Harry after he gets back to the castle. He walks through the crowd and no one pays attention to him like nothing had happened. That bugged me A LOT, it didn't make any sense to me and I don't understand why they made such a decision...I feel they kind of messed up the ending, don't they? What about Ron standing back after Harry told them he was going to the forest? :S like he didn't care a damn!

I also didn't like the poor attention to details...like Lily's eyes for example. All characters in the books didn't do anything but repeat Harry's got his mother's green eyes, so why on earth do you choose a black-eyed actor to play little Lily? Is it so hard to let her use coloured contact lenses? Not to mention James' blonde hair. It was simply awkward. Details like these are important and I don't see why they don't have to be respected.

Apart from that, I generally appreciated the whole movie, it was engrossing and everybody made a good job.

GolanBerlin
July 16th, 2011, 8:46 pm
1. They didn't even explained why Harry is alive again. They didn't explain the whole "Voldemort-has-your-blood-so-you-cant-die" thing.

2. Nagini is dead, so Voldemort is dead? Really?! Oh C'mon.

3. The Elder wand cant harm Harry, so how the hell Harry And voldemort did the "AK/Expeliarmus" tons of time? It's not even Canon.

4. Voldemort was supposed to die because the elder wand was supposed to rebound the AK on him. In the film, Nagini is dead, and than we see that Harry's Explairmus is stornger than Voldemort's AK. What the hell was that?

5. I didnt get the part when the elder wand was cracked. What happened? lol...

Sherazad
July 16th, 2011, 9:04 pm
5. I didnt get the part when the elder wand was cracked. What happened? lol...

Lol. At the part when Ron looks at Harry with an odd expression on his face after Harry cracks the wand, a friend of mine said "The ginger's actually thinking he's a moron!" Lol well, he is!

Shinichi
July 16th, 2011, 9:09 pm
Not too many 1-on-1 duels.

Slartibartfast
July 16th, 2011, 9:15 pm
Ehhh i dunno. I have some mixed feelings about that and i was all "Nooo! Poor Lavender!" But i actually thought the bit where Trelawney comforting Parvati was really nice to add. I wish we could have seen Trelawney take Greyback out with her crystal balls though.

I dont have a lot of beefs with this film. Some things that bug me but its just the purist in me:

Fred not dying in front of Harry. His death was pretty anticlimactic and that bothered me. That is perhaps the only major beef i have.

Percy appearing out of nowhere. I was all "Oh hai Percy! Nice of you to show up but..where did you come from?!" The kid sitting in front of me gave me a look like "lol..."

No Ravenclaw common room. How i was looking forward to seeing that. Oh well.

No confrontation with the Carrows. Sure it would have been MESSED UP for many non-readers to see Harry use the Cruciatus curse but still. The Carrows had like, no lines.

No Teen Lily and Severus. Again, this really didnt bother me like it should have because the entirety of that part was so well done. But it would have cleared some things up for non-readers.

Harry not delivering the "Reason You Suck Speech" to Voldy. He did give some of it but not all of it.

Dumbledore/Aberforth backstory being all but omitted. Again, no real beef. It would have slowed things down a bit if it were added but it would have been cool to see.

Also why no resolve with Pettigrew?

voldyisnoseless
July 16th, 2011, 9:42 pm
a couple of things:

1. the beginning was to rushed. they should of shown lupin appearing at shell cottage and saying there is a baby, should of shown more of gringotts, and stuff like that

2. when they apparated in hogsmeade, there were no dementors. i mean wth? i was really looking forward to harry casting his patronus and the death eaters thinking harry was there, and aberforth confronting the death eaters saying that he set off the charm and telling them his patronus was a goat. and no invisibility cloak. i wanted to se that DE try to summon his cloak

3. mcgonnagal was supposed to send pursuing daggers at snape, and he was supposed to be blocking them with armour.

4. no ravenclaw common room.

5. no luna stunning a carrow or harry casting crucio on a death eater who spit in mcgonnagals face. i know there was no RCR, but they could of changed the location like they did for snapes death

6. i wanted to see percy, fred, and the trio dueling death eaters, turning one of them into a sea urchin, and seeing freds death onscreen.

7. the princes tale was kinda rushed. they didn't show lily jumping off the swing in acrobat form, didn't show all the memories, and the memories were a lot shorter than i expected. and i didn't like how the film put music in the tale

8. not enough battle scenes.

9. in the great hall, there were supposed to be lots of dueling scenes. 3 people (forgot their names) dueling bellatrix, hagrid throwing macnair, and other stuff.

10. after voldemort died, everyone was just sitting there like nothing happened

Dobson
July 16th, 2011, 9:51 pm
I think they missed a perfectly wonderful oppurtunity to have everyone cheering Harry's defeat of Voldemort. Do you know how emotional that could have been? I thought, even if there was going to be no one standing around them dueling, after Voldemort had died, everyone could have come running out to Harry and they could have hugged him and celebrated together and laughed, all the while having this triumph music playing clear over this. That might have even got some people to cry.

I don't want to say anything against the Prince's Tale besides I don't like how they did like 3 memories from when they were kids then all of a sudden it's adult Snape and Dumbledore.

Also, I will never forgive the moviemakers for adding that Draco/Voldemort hug. Ever.

PotterGurl08
July 16th, 2011, 9:55 pm
But then it wouldn't have been like the book: we never would have gotten the all-important lines about Harry feeling like he'd always known that he was a Horcrux and that it was going to have to end like that. Well, not unless they'd done the dreaded voice-over narration or had Harry go Shakespeare on us and give us a soliloquy! :cool: Really, Ron & Hermione are the only people to whom Harry could deliver those lines.

Brilliant point. I hadn't thought of this. You're right. There would have been no other way to really drive home the point unless Harry started talking to himself, lol.

Unless...maybe Neville could have been a candidate. They could have included Harry telling Neville to kill the snake, and Neville could have asked Harry where he was going, and Harry could have said, "To the forrest."
I think Neville could have been accepting of it, without trying to stop Harry, especially considering the speech Neville later gives.

Just trying to think of another possibility, lol.

About Neville/Luna...
Geez, I hadn't even caught that. I do need to see it again, lol. I also didn't hear what Neville said to Harry about finding Luna. If anything, I thought they had just bonded as friends, being two of the main ones that kept the DA going...(was there any mentioning of the DA in the movie, though?). Hmm.

Slartibartfast
July 16th, 2011, 9:59 pm
3. mcgonnagal was supposed to send pursuing daggers at snape, and he was supposed to be blocking them with armour.
Ehhhh. That part took place at a different location in the film. In the book, that bit was in one of the corridors. In the film, it was the Great Hall. Having armor pop out of nowhere would have been silly.

Also, I will never forgive the moviemakers for adding that Draco/Voldemort hug. Ever.
lol why? I thought it was pretty awesome in a very disturbing way. Draco's reaction was utter revulsion. It drives a point home: Draco isnt loyal to Voldy, hes loyal to his family. Also showing Voldy's total sanity slippage.

PotterGurl08
July 16th, 2011, 10:08 pm
I thought the Draco-Voldy hug was a nice touch, pun intended. :rotfl:

Actually, I thought it looked creepy, and very awkward--which is exactly what a hug from Voldemort should have been. To me, Draco clearly looks disgusted, and Voldemort looked as if he didn't quite know what he was doing. I'd imagine hugging isn't something that comes natural to him. It was like he was feeling extra menacing, happy, and unhinged all at once, after finally having "killed" Harry, and the hug was something impromptu that he did. It was showing is superficial appreciation of Malfoy, after he knows he has humiliated and abused the entire Malfoy family.

ccollinsmith
July 16th, 2011, 10:31 pm
I thought the Draco-Voldy hug was a nice touch, pun intended. :rotfl:

Actually, I thought it looked creepy, and very awkward--which is exactly what a hug from Voldemort should have been. To me, Draco clearly looks disgusted, and Voldemort looked as if he didn't quite know what he was doing.

Exactly what I thought of the hug too. And as Slarti mentioned, "Draco's reaction is utter revulsion."

I really liked the hug because it was just soooooooo uncomfortable and it showed that Draco was never going to be a DE-fanboy again. He just wanted out of there.

I loved how quickly he and his mother walked away from the scene, while Lucius was looking all confused! Like: "Which way do I go? Oh what the heck! After Narcissa and Draco, I guess!" :lol:

Sherazad
July 16th, 2011, 10:54 pm
Now that I think about it... Luna ends up with Newt Scamander and Neville with Hannah Abbott o.O it was evidently a teen crush lol

Dobson
July 16th, 2011, 11:02 pm
lol why? I thought it was pretty awesome in a very disturbing way. Draco's reaction was utter revulsion. It drives a point home: Draco isnt loyal to Voldy, hes loyal to his family. Also showing Voldy's total sanity slippage.

Because Voldemort does not hug people, I don't care who you are. :rotfl: I think Voldemort at that point was the happiest he'd ever been, but he still would have never done that. In fact I think he was beside himself with happiness, but it was still entirely out of character. I never felt like Voldemort was incredibly fond of Draco in any way, so I just don't understand this. If it had been Neville who had walked over, would Voldemort have hugged him? No, I don't think so. Book Voldemort wouldn't have valued Draco enough to have hugged him since he evidently thought Draco, or anyone for that matter, a disposable object. The hug was basically a "good job, you are mine now" type of thing that could have been achieved with a crazy smile or a laugh.

MrSleepyHead
July 16th, 2011, 11:15 pm
I think the hug worked for how Voldemort was portrayed in this film. To me, Ralph Fiennes added much more humanity and less intimidation and daunting power to Voldemort. As Voldemort's Horcruxes were destroyed, Fiennes paralleled that by making Voldemort seem more and more human. I think the hug emphasizes that.

I do agree that the hug does not fit the book character, but I think we have to realize that the characterization in the films, while similar, is altered from the book. I, too, found the hug to be very awkward, out of place, and shocking, and I think that is what the filmmakers wanted to convey. It emphasized Draco's true loyalties and, in a way, did make Voldemort more disturbing.

But I still think that I prefer the book version where Voldemort expects everyone to bow down to him due to his unmatched power and ruthlessness. And if someone refuses, Voldemort would dispose of them. I prefer that characterization, but I am unsure it would have worked with the route the filmmakers chose to take Voldemort. But I do agree that the hug does bother me, given my book purist attitude and at how bothersome it was just to see Voldemort hug someone! :lol:

James26
July 16th, 2011, 11:18 pm
I know they explained Lavender being attacked in the books, but I thought she was only injured! :(

SeriousSeverus
July 16th, 2011, 11:24 pm
2. Nagini is dead, so Voldemort is dead? Really?! Oh C'mon.

Voldemort was weakened because of the horcrux being destroyed. When they cast their spells again, Harry was able to overpower Voldemort (or so it seemed), and the Killing Curse crept up the Elder Wand (when it turned green) and up his hand. It took two viewings for me to see that...

James26
July 16th, 2011, 11:25 pm
Voldemort was weakened because of the horcrux being destroyed. When they cast their spells again, Harry was able to overpower Voldemort (or so it seemed), and the Killing Curse crept up the Elder Wand (when it turned green) and up his hand. It took two viewings for me to see that...

*cough* golanberlin hasn't read the books *cough*

couldn't resist :L sorry

Slartibartfast
July 16th, 2011, 11:29 pm

Didnt take me two viewings to notice that. I thought it was pretty obvious.

NumberEight
July 16th, 2011, 11:35 pm
My only complaints arise from the rushed nature of the beginning (will most likely be rectified when watching Part I before) and the unneeded humor. You don't put humor in the middle of a battle that's full of death. It's just like Dobby's nonsense in Part I: it's out of place.

Fishielicious
July 16th, 2011, 11:42 pm
The movie was obviously dope, but of course as a prejudiced viewer with deeply internalized biases I have many quibbles:

1. I wish they had included Kreacher leading the house-elves into battle. I think that redemption/empowerment arc was really good in the books.

2. I wish we had seen Molly's take-down of Bellatrix in more dramatic fashion. I'm glad they included it, first and foremost, but the entire exchange leading up to it and that absolute domination Molly lays down on Bellatrix was definitely one of my favorite parts of the book.

3. Okay this one is definitely the most minor one and is a hugely silly quibble on my part, but: Snape was totally not in Godric's Hollow before Sirius, okay? OKAY? Also I wish they, in general, hadn't totally trivialized James. It's like, "Omg Harry's wonderful mother and some middle-aged guy she hangs out with." I mean, Harry barely even acknowledges him in the forest scene.

PS: I thought they did really well with Neville: making him seem very in-control and a total leader and all-around awesome. Apparently this is not a widely-shared belief?

NumberEight
July 17th, 2011, 12:16 am
The movie was obviously dope, but of course as a prejudiced viewer with deeply internalized biases I have many quibbles:

1. I wish they had included Kreacher leading the house-elves into battle. I think that redemption/empowerment arc was really good in the books

If the house elves plot was in previous films, it would have worked.

Fishielicious
July 17th, 2011, 12:23 am
If the house elves plot was in previous films, it would have worked.You're right; I haven't seen the the Goblet of Fire movie in a while and forgot that S.P.E.W. wasn't in it. An understandable omission, but still one that rankles (at least to me. I doubt anyone else cares much about house-elves/Kreacher ha).

ETA: Also forgot that Harry giving Kreacher Regulus's locket wasn't in the first installment of DH either.

GolanBerlin
July 17th, 2011, 12:44 am
*cough* golanberlin hasn't read the books *cough*

couldn't resist :L sorry

I READ THE BOOKS

You didnt get my point. In the book, which is THE REAL CANON, When they duel each other, The elder wand is rebounding Voldemort's AK on himself.

But in the film, As long as Nagini Lived, Harry and Voldemort did the whole "Avada Kedavra/Expeliarmus" TONS OF TIME. But when Nagini dies, the elder wand didn't work for him... It's stupid! The elder wand dosent suppose to work for him either way... It dosen't matter if Nagini is dead or not.

ajna
July 17th, 2011, 1:20 am
My only complaints arise from the rushed nature of the beginning (will most likely be rectified when watching Part I before) and the unneeded humor. You don't put humor in the middle of a battle that's full of death. It's just like Dobby's nonsense in Part I: it's out of place.

My goodness. This was the least humourous HP ever. There were barely a few chuckles and the ones that were in weren't too funny either. A very serious HP in my opinion.

So far the only thing that actually bothered me, was how did Luna come to be in the RoR when we had just seen her in Shell Cottage. I know she could have traveled there, but it just seemed to bug me...funny. Oh, and how we see the memory of Lily speaking to Harry. Huh? That's not Snapes memory, so what's it doing in there. Yes, I get it, exposition, but it jarred me out of the moment.

I didn't mind the hug. I found it properly disturbing.

phoenix88
July 17th, 2011, 2:10 am

4. no ravenclaw common room.

6. i wanted to see percy, fred, and the trio dueling death eaters, turning one of them into a sea urchin, and seeing freds death onscreen.

8. not enough battle scenes.

9. in the great hall, there were supposed to be lots of dueling scenes. 3 people (forgot their names) dueling bellatrix, hagrid throwing macnair, and other stuff.

10. after voldemort died, everyone was just sitting there like nothing happened

Those were the exact same things I was looking forward to as well. When Harry was going to the raven claw common room I couldn't wait to see it and Luna help him enter it. I also felt we were shortchanged with the dueling scenes. You are right, I do remember a 3 on 3 duel in the great hall. I was also expecting the daggers to come out with mcgonagall.

tru0001
July 17th, 2011, 2:27 am
The absence of Ted and the backstory of Dumbledore's grief over Ariana's death and stuff with Grindlewald was absent as well...

other than that the movie was great

oh and also need to emphasize more on the Prince's Tale so my water works could have been better.

SKasparRollins
July 17th, 2011, 2:31 am
Qualifying this by saying this one is instantly one of my top two HP movies.

Oh man I completely forgot they didn't mention Harry's blood protection via his blood in Voldemort's body. Probably should have been kept, wouldn't have taken long to explain.

Agreeing with the sentiment that the final aftermath of Voldemort's defeat didn't fit the significance of the moment. Probably the biggest flaw.

I don't really have a problem with Harry telling Ron and Hermione he was going to die.

Didn't like the exploding bodies.

Harry and Voldemort's final duel didn't bother me - the book version would not have translated to film well (most long monologues and lengthy exposition scenes are cut down), so I understand it.

Fishielicious
July 17th, 2011, 2:33 am
I didn't mind the hug. I found it properly disturbing.I thought the hug was the most amazingly creepy thing. Just perfect. It looked as though Voldemort had never hugged a single person in his entire life, and I wouldn't be surprised if that were the truth. Draco couldn't have looked more horrified.

SKasparRollins
July 17th, 2011, 2:42 am
I thought the hug was the most amazingly creepy thing. Just perfect. It looked as though Voldemort had never hugged a single person in his entire life, and I wouldn't be surprised if that were the truth. Draco couldn't have looked more horrified.

That may have been the point. It's out of character for Voldemort to ever do something like that to anyone, but I like to think his intent there was to creep Draco out.

ajna
July 17th, 2011, 2:47 am
That may have been the point. It's out of character for Voldemort to ever do something like that to anyone, but I like to think his intent there was to creep Draco out.

My impression was that he did it to impress the observers of his 'humanity'.

LilyEvans13060
July 17th, 2011, 2:50 am
I must say, as a movie, it was a great flick. But it did vary from the book A LOT!

Some of the the things that bothered me:
1. Neville's Speech/Voldemort's Reaction: Like Voldemort ever would have let Neville go on and on like that. He would have shut him up about 2 seconds in.

2. The reaction of everyone (or should I say lack of reaction) when they brought Harry's body back from the forest. Where was the screaming, the crying, the people running in from Hogsmeade, the centaurs???? The only one who yelled NO was Ginny.

3. Like others have said, the lack of reaction after Voldemort was killed. How awkward to just have Harry strolling through the Great Hall and no one is paying attention to him.

4. 19 Years Later - After Harry tells James about the Sorting Hat taking the student's choice into account, I was waiting for him to say, "It did for me." Minor thing, but it would have showed quite the connection between Harry and his son. Plus no one paying attention to Harry at King's Cross. Everyone is supposed to be staring at him and Ron says, "It's because I'm famous." Would have been nice to have one last laugh thanks to Ron at the end of the movie. And was I mistaken, or did Harry not have a scar in the King's Cross scene?

A lot of my gripes just have to do with Harry and Voldemort's characterizations on screen which vary from the book quite a bit. It was a good movie like I said, but I'm glad I have my books!

ajna
July 17th, 2011, 2:55 am
You are right. I didn't really notice a scar in the epilogue.

Your_Holeyness
July 17th, 2011, 2:56 am
- Howarts being different yet again.

- They way the death of Fred was handled, as well as Lupin and Tonks.

- The non-reaction to Voldemort's death and the final duel taking place in the courtyard.

- Using the boatshed instead of the Shrieking Shack.

- Lack of battles scenes including other characters.

- Bellatrix shattering and Voldemort disintegrating when they died.

- No Ravenclaw common room scene.

- No mention of Harry being the master of death.

- No explanation as to why Harry wasn't properly killed in the forest. This one has to be a legitimate mistake by the film makers.

- Harry snapping the wand.

- Ghosts being portrayed differently than they were in previous films.

That's all I can think of right now.

Fishielicious
July 17th, 2011, 3:07 am
That may have been the point. It's out of character for Voldemort to ever do something like that to anyone, but I like to think his intent there was to creep Draco out.Oh, I'm sure that was the point. Voldemort's intent is something murkier to pin down, but Ralph Fiennes' Voldemort has always seemed to me somehow oilier, more manipulative, than the Voldemort in the books. To me that terribly awkward hug (an attempt at some kind of expression of some bizarre human affection) seems in character--at least movie-wise--for Voldemort.

Edit to clarify: By saying that was the point, I mean the filmmakers' point, not Voldemort's point.

LilyEvans13060
July 17th, 2011, 3:29 am
I would have liked to have seen Harry kick Voldy's behind with his words as opposed to Voldemort just chasing Harry around for a while. The films make Harry look weak - like in King's Cross when Dumbledore leaves and he's still calling to him, "What should I do Professor?" Harry knew what he needed to do. They never show him as the leader he really is. Showing the true scene between Harry and Voldemort could have brought that home for non-book readers, who might just think Harry is lucky, as Voldemort did.

And yeah - the hug was really creepy. At that point, I don't think Lucius and Narcissa would have let Voldemort touch Draco.

decarus
July 17th, 2011, 3:33 am
I think the film suggested that Voldemort died because Neville killed the snake and the elder wand plot was an afterthought.

They didn't show enough of the DA dueling in the film meaning they didn't show them dueling at all.

The Molly/Bellatrix duel was too short.

Fred's death was off screen and then when they showed his body it was still unclear for way too long who was dead and then whether or not they were even dead and not just injured.

They didn't explain why Harry was able to come back to life.

Voldemort's slow motion flaking death explosion.

The film was so disjointed that it barely made any sense to me and i have read the book many times. People kept just appearing places. Hagrid in the forest. Luna in the room of requirements. Percy in the great hall. Also they failed in explaining what was happen in most scenes and what they were trying to do.

Voldemort_Jones
July 17th, 2011, 3:39 am
battle too short

the opening going straighti nto lilys theme (i loved the piece and the scene but...) w/o walking it through hedwigs theme first like all the other films did they all did that but this one why break the routine now? it felt weird

the cutting of ron's "NEVER" and "LIAR" lines from the b-rolls

Ehhh i dunno. I have some mixed feelings about that and i was all "Nooo! Poor Lavender!" But i actually thought the bit where Trelawney comforting Parvati was really nice to add. I wish we could have seen Trelawney take Greyback out with her crystal balls though.

I dont have a lot of beefs with this film. Some things that bug me but its just the purist in me:

Fred not dying in front of Harry. His death was pretty anticlimactic and that bothered me. That is perhaps the only major beef i have.

Percy appearing out of nowhere. I was all "Oh hai Percy! Nice of you to show up but..where did you come from?!" The kid sitting in front of me gave me a look like "lol..."

No Ravenclaw common room. How i was looking forward to seeing that. Oh well.

No confrontation with the Carrows. Sure it would have been MESSED UP for many non-readers to see Harry use the Cruciatus curse but still. The Carrows had like, no lines.

No Teen Lily and Severus. Again, this really didnt bother me like it should have because the entirety of that part was so well done. But it would have cleared some things up for non-readers.

Harry not delivering the "Reason You Suck Speech" to Voldy. He did give some of it but not all of it.

Dumbledore/Aberforth backstory being all but omitted. Again, no real beef. It would have slowed things down a bit if it were added but it would have been cool to see.

Also why no resolve with Pettigrew?

she got so ate

she got all ate up

taliell
July 17th, 2011, 3:47 am
I agree that the final battle b/w Harry & Voldemort should've had more dialouge.

decarus
July 17th, 2011, 3:47 am
You didnt get my point. In the book, which is THE real canon, When they duel each other, The elder wand is rebounding Voldemort's AK on himself.

But in the film, As long as Nagini Lived, Harry and Voldemort did the whole "Avada Kedavra/Expeliarmus" TONS OF TIME. But when Nagini dies, the elder wand didn't work for him... It's stupid! The elder wand dosent suppose to work for him either way... It dosen't matter if Nagini is dead or not.

Yeah this was an inconsistency within the filmverse. The spells should have rebounded and Voldemort should have entered the half life because Nagini was still alive. Nagini being alive should not have made it impossible for Voldemort to be killed and why would that stop the spell from rebounding. It made no sense.

I would have liked to have seen Harry kick Voldy's behind with his words as opposed to Voldemort just chasing Harry around for a while. The films make Harry look weak - like in King's Cross when Dumbledore leaves and he's still calling to him, "What should I do Professor?" Harry knew what he needed to do. They never show him as the leader he really is. Showing the true scene between Harry and Voldemort could have brought that home for non-book readers, who might just think Harry is lucky, as Voldemort did..

I did not like the "what should i do professor" line as well. Why in the world would Harry not know what he was going to do and why would he ask Dumbledore of all people? It didn't make sense to me, but very little of the dialogue in the King's Cross scene made sense to me.

Fally
July 17th, 2011, 3:52 am
I know they explained Lavender being attacked in the books, but I thought she was only injured! :(

I was under the impression in the book she was only injured as well. She falls from the balcony and Harry sees an animal shape figure run towards her and Hermione blasts Greyback off her before he really has a chance to do anything then he sees Lavender is stirring feebly. So from that i was under the impression that she lived because she is never mentioned as being dead. Neville doesnt even mention she is dead in the movie either again confusing.

The whole Percy thing i was watching a behind the scenes clip yesterday of snape vs mcgongall and they showed towards the end where all the DA walk in then a few seconds later Percy walks in behind Fred and George and they both turn around and see him then turn to look at each other and smile. I dont understand why this was never show in the movie when it was shot unless it was in the movie and it was blink and u miss it :S

I dont understand why they didnt take 2 seconds to just say Tonks is pregnant which would have made Lupin having a son make sense. I know they shot Teddy in the epilogue and apparently David Yates at the last minute cut it according to the actor he also said it would be on the dvd.

I hated Harry snapping the elder wand. I was inwardly screaming "WHAT ARE YOU DOING!" That scene bugged me more then anything

Neville and Luna that annoyed me slightly i did ship them before the last book but they both end up with diffrent people so it wasnt really canon

PotterGurl08
July 17th, 2011, 3:52 am
Yeah this was an inconsistency within the filmverse. The spells should have rebounded and Voldemort should have entered the half life because Nagini was still alive. Nagini being alive should not have made it impossible for Voldemort to be killed and why would that stop the spell from rebounding. It made no sense.
I think this was just the film simplifying things for the audience. The idea became simply that Voldemort would stay alive as long as he had horcruxes still intact. And thus, the audience is supposed to think that the reason Harry went through the trouble of hunting down all the horcruxes first was because it was the only way to kill Voldemort.
It doesn't bother me that they did this. It makes it neater and easier to understand for those who didn't read the books.

lexlove1
July 17th, 2011, 3:59 am
My only beef with the movie was the lack of explanation of Snape and Lily. I mean, that did deserve more time. Loved the part when he clutched Lily's lifeless body(tears were overflowing), but for the untrained Potterfan, it lacked closure....

Also, we needed to see the untold story of Albus, this man crafted this whole saga, he needed to be explained more. I know they were working with a time limit, but I wanted to see as much as possible. this series has been apart of my life, and I wanted it all, I was left a little unsatisfied....

decarus
July 17th, 2011, 4:05 am
I think this was just the film simplifying things for the audience. The idea became simply that Voldemort would stay alive as long as he had horcruxes still intact. And thus, the audience is supposed to think that the reason Harry went through the trouble of hunting down all the horcruxes first was because it was the only way to kill Voldemort.
It doesn't bother me that they did this. It makes it neater and easier to understand for those who didn't read the books.

I think that is what they were doing as well. The issue is that it is a huge inconsistency within the filmverse. I mean the whole point of the first four films was Voldemort attempting to return to his body after a spell backfires on him causing him to enter the half life and now all of the sudden he can't be killed because Nagini is still alive. I mean there is streamlining the plot and there is not having it make sense. I think it didn't make sense.

ratpacker74
July 17th, 2011, 4:10 am
First of all let me say I saw HP DH pt 2 on Friday morning. It was my first 3D movie and I don't think I will see it again in 3D, not worth it, but sort of cool.

I was unfortunately a bit disapointed with some points. Probably my over expectation.

1. Harry not even saying goodbye to Ron was inexcusable...... THEY ARE BEST FRIENDS!!!!!

2. The final battle was odd. To much left out, to much confusion, still don't understand the falling off the tower bit... Not needed IMO.

3. Harry's father in the forest scene, I wanted to shout "SAY SOMETHING TO HIM!!!!"

4. No Fred death scene.

5. No celebration for Harry when he defeats Voldy.

6. The epiluoge.... BAD.......

7. McGonnagal saying "I always wanted to do that" after summoning the soldiers..... UNFORGIVABLE!!!

Now, I will say Neville ROCKED this movie, he was AWESOME!!!!! And Snape's death scene moved me to tears, he was amazing...

It was a great movie one of my top 3 but I was expecting so much more as it is was a 2 parter. Thought it could have ended stronger.

NumberEight
July 17th, 2011, 4:18 am
My goodness. This was the least humourous HP ever. There were barely a few chuckles and the ones that were in weren't too funny either. A very serious HP in my opinion.

My audience laughed way too much; you have Neville on the bridge taunting Voldemort's suppports (it was obviously supposed to be funny) and him rising up after destroying the bridge; then you have Ron's goofy run and screaming when warning the other two about the fire in the Room of Requirement; then you have Voldemort hugging Draco. That's too much for me. There should be very little lightheartedness in a movie where so much is at stake, where bodies are dropping left and right.

HedwigOwl
July 17th, 2011, 4:19 am
As this was the final part of the last book film, I think I was more critical watching it than normal. Until now, I've been able to shrug off the differences as long as the spirit of the books was there.....

So, here's a list of what bothered me, and one for things I was sorry they left out:

Bothered me

I didn't care for the way they separated Harry's battle with Voldemort from the fighting by the rest of the Hogwarts defenders.

I thought they wrote Snape's part (which Alan Rickman played brilliantly, by the way) as if he were a saint.

I wish they hadn't changed the way Neville confronted Voldemort, although I'm really glad they gave him a version of it, and still had him kill Nagini.

The battle between Molly & Bellatrix was too short -- they didn't let Bella be her normal evil taunting self.

Sorry this was left out

The part where Voldemort & Harry circle each other, with Harry telling Voldemort what the situation really is and Voldemort not getting it; there's also the lost opportunity for the wizarding community to witness it, and the resulting cheer of victory.

I wish the trio had gone up to the headmaster's office, and the book had been followed more closely for that scene. I realize that snapping the Elder Wand in two was a different way of showing Harry's rejection of power, but I think it was a less satisfying way to do it. And we don't see Harry repair his Phoenix wand.

NumberEight
July 17th, 2011, 4:24 am
I thought they wrote Snape's part (which Alan Rickman played brilliantly, by the way) as if he were a saint.

When i saw this I instantly thought: people who really, really hate Snape may end up hating the movie as well. I think the way they did it was fine because the prophecy isn't detailed much in the film series.

LilyEvans13060
July 17th, 2011, 4:29 am
still don't understand the falling off the tower bit... Not needed IMO.

I don't get it either. First, Voldemort would never ever physically touch Harry. We have seen what happens when they touch, and it doesn't turn out well for him. Second, they fell off a tower! Wizards are human! Wouldn't they have died or at least been injured? Harry anyways.

There should be very little lightheartedness in a movie where so much is at stake, where bodies are dropping left and right.

You are absolutely right. But this movie, none of the movies, have the same darkness as the books. They want to make it child friendly and therefore take the terror out of it. Though I must say, if I was a kid and saw DH2, I'd be petrified of snakes forever.

Limplict
July 17th, 2011, 4:35 am
The way they portrayed Snape and Lily's friendship when they were young has been bothering me for quite a while now. I wish they showed them as best friends like they were in the books, not with Snape admiring Lily from a distance. I was also hoping for some scenes during their teenage years and Snape's jealousy of James Potter; it would've showed him in a more humane way and that he was capable of feelings like envy, as well as any person.

SKasparRollins
July 17th, 2011, 4:50 am
This isn't about DH2 specifically, but was the fact that Snape told Voldemort about the prophecy revealed at any point? I can't remember. Alan Rickman's Snape, as great as he is, is already quite a bit softened from the book and that exclusion...cements it.

voldyisnoseless
July 17th, 2011, 4:55 am
maybe we see harry repairing the wand in the deleted scenes, and the cheering when voldy died.

ajna
July 17th, 2011, 5:04 am
I'd kind of like to hear about scenes we heard or saw about that weren't in the finished film. Asking Harry why he lives is gone. The scene where Bellatrix does her little dance saying they won, is gone, I blink and miss if Percy was there. We see the Bank laid low but not the attack on it, which we had heard about. Any others people noticed that we thought we would get, but didn't,. quite? Also, the scene in Hogsmeade...seems different than the previews we got. Done from a different angle. And when they are still outside and hiding, it doesn't look like the trio are looking up at a light, as it seemed in the publicity still, just looking up.

hopefulgirl86
July 17th, 2011, 5:27 am
I don't get it either. First, Voldemort would never ever physically touch Harry. We have seen what happens when they touch, and it doesn't turn out well for him. Second, they fell off a tower! Wizards are human! Wouldn't they have died or at least been injured? Harry anyways.I think that was Harry's intention when he made Voldemort fall off the cliff with him. Voldemort can fly though, and I think Harry must have had a good hold on him. It looked like Voldemort was pulling at his face or something. I didn't like the falling part either though. I did like the battle, but not that part.

AnotherD
July 17th, 2011, 5:58 am
Biggest gripes:

The movie needed Fred's death, and I would have liked to have seen more dueling during the battles. I would have liked to have seen the students fighting for Hogwarts.

My other gripe is that I felt some of the scenes could have been stretched a bit and transitioned better into the next scenes. Maybe a little longer at Shell Cottage (loved the detail of Shell Cottage, by the way! All the shells in the walls in Olivander's room...)

arithmancer
July 17th, 2011, 6:04 am
This isn't about DH2 specifically, but was the fact that Snape told Voldemort about the prophecy revealed at any point? I can't remember. Alan Rickman's Snape, as great as he is, is already quite a bit softened from the book and that exclusion...cements it.

No, we do not learn this about Snape in the movies.

We do, on the other hand, learn that he was/is a Death Eater (GoF).

Slartibartfast
July 17th, 2011, 6:09 am
And was I mistaken, or did Harry not have a scar in the King's Cross scene?
No he did not. I think the film wanted us to believe the scar vanished along with the curse. I need to see it again to see if Harry has it at the end of the film before the epilogue.

About the prophecy and Snape. We dont learn he was the one who gave it to Voldy. HOWEVER during the Prince's Tale we hear Dumbledore say: "The prophecy does not speak of a woman...it speaks of a boy..." So it is actually mentioned there. Still, how Voldy knows about it remains unclear.

TheAUnSnitch
July 17th, 2011, 6:21 am
And was I mistaken, or did Harry not have a scar in the King's Cross scene?

It's there, but very faint. I didn't see it until I specifically focused on that spot on Harry's forehead.

lexlove1
July 17th, 2011, 6:48 am
looking at all the comments will definitely make me crack open the book!!!! we potterfolk are perfectionists.....lol! I really wanted more Snape and Lily footage... a true love story, even if one sided....

Arya_
July 17th, 2011, 9:22 am
Overall I really enjoyed this film, but there were little things that bothered me.

1: James in Snape's memories having a red hair and no glasses.
2: the Death Eaters group laughing was so forced
3: the Dumbledore/ Alberforth / Ariana story not being fully explored.
4: the aftermath of Voldemort's demise the scene sort of fizzled out. I think this would've been better handled if everyone had witnessed Harry defeat Voldemort once and for all and celebrated!
5: the quickness of Harry discovering Remus and Tonks body on the ground.

FINALLY

7: Harry destroying the Elder Wand without even repairing his own!

Pearl_Took
July 17th, 2011, 11:17 am
What bothered me:-

- The inclusion of the ruined part of Voldemort's soul, at King's Cross. I loathe the disturbing image of the 'flayed baby' in the book, and I thought its inclusion in the film was unnecessary - it was gross. :no:

- The ending was weirdly muted. :shrug: I wanted a more cathartic, triumphant conclusion to a ten year franchise. It was too downbeat.

- If you're not going to include Ariana's backstory, there's no point in including her, period. As nice as her portrait was!

- I dislike how Harry only finds out the truth about Snape through sheer, dumb luck. This is not the fault of the film-makers though - they merely replicated a problem I have with the book. :whistle: I just think that both Snape and Harry deserved better. :grumble:

I liked the film, by the way. :). But, yep, these things did bother me!

decarus
July 17th, 2011, 2:33 pm
When i saw this I instantly thought: people who really, really hate Snape may end up hating the movie as well. I think the way they did it was fine because the prophecy isn't detailed much in the film series.

I don't like Snape at all and i agree that he came off too much as a saint in the film, but i think i was in the end glad that so little of the memories had to do with Snape/Lily, which i hate, because i thought they would imply that she liked him and i was relieved they didn't and left most of it out.

I think they did do James a great disservice in the memories though by not showing the fact that Snape called Lily a mudblood and that he was a death eater at some point. I mean Snape was a death eater. He was not a good man.

Willz
July 17th, 2011, 2:53 pm
NO Percy
NO Wood.

These 2 really annoyed me, Wood was in the trailers :( and Percy..did the actor even get cast for this film?!

maiisiie_08
July 17th, 2011, 2:55 pm
The things that bothered me were Fred, Tonks and Lupin's deaths. I thought they were too quick, and were rushed through. I wanted Fred's one to be like it was in the book, when he'd forgiven Percy as it made it sadder.

Also, the fact that when they were in Bellatrix's vault, the gold was meant to burn them. That didn't happen in the film, or if it did it was so brief I didn't notice.

And, in neither of the Deathly Hallows films was it mentioned that Harry's Invisibility Cloak was the third Deathly Hallow, or that he was related to the Peverell brothers, and I thought that was quite important.

NO Percy
NO Wood.

These 2 really annoyed me, Wood was in the trailers :( and Percy..did the actor even get cast for this film?!

I saw Percy during Neville's speach, he was standing behind Molly. But, I think he should have got a better part, like in the book. Annoyed about Wood though, but I don't remember seeing him in the trailer. Must've missed him.

Your_Holeyness
July 17th, 2011, 3:01 pm
I saw Percy during Neville's speach, he was standing behind Molly. But, I think he should have got a better part, like in the book. Annoyed about Wood though, but I don't remember seeing him in the trailer. Must've missed him.

There's a brief shot on the TV ad of someone riding a broom during the battle and calling people to fly with him. I didn't know who it was, but it could very well have been Wood. That scene wasn't in the film.

maiisiie_08
July 17th, 2011, 3:09 pm
There's a brief shot on the TV ad of someone riding a broom during the battle and calling people to fly with him. I didn't know who it was, but it could very well have been Wood. That scene wasn't in the film.

I saw that bit in the film. I think it was when Harry, Ron and Hermione were going to find Voldemort and Nagini, just before Snape died.

decarus
July 17th, 2011, 3:15 pm

Yeah this part was in the film. It was the person flying over the entrance courtyard right before they show the trio running down the stairs to enter the courtyard on their way to the boathouse.

Willz
July 17th, 2011, 3:18 pm
The things that bothered me were Fred, Tonks and Lupin's deaths. I thought they were too quick, and were rushed through. I wanted Fred's one to be like it was in the book, when he'd forgiven Percy as it made it sadder.

Also, the fact that when they were in Bellatrix's vault, the gold was meant to burn them. That didn't happen in the film, or if it did it was so brief I didn't notice.

And, in neither of the Deathly Hallows films was it mentioned that Harry's Invisibility Cloak was the third Deathly Hallow, or that he was related to the Peverell brothers, and I thought that was quite important.

Percy was there? What was the point of bringing him back :hmm:

Rookie_Angel
July 17th, 2011, 3:21 pm
Overall, I loved the movie, but here are my quibbles:

Agree with many--I was waiting for Ron to hug Harry too

Teddy as afterthought--all they would have had to do is slip in another line or two in one of the movies, not like they'd have had to have written a whole scene around it.

Percy's just suddenly there--another thing that would have taken 10 seconds to make clear

As a Ravenclaw, would have been nice to see the common room, but that wasn't a biggie for me

Harry not casting a Patronus in Hogsmeade and that whole scene where Aberforth says it was a goat--I mean they had set him up with the goat thing in OotP, why not use it?

It didn't click with me at the time "how did Luna get to the common room and what would she have told them already?" until I read it here, but it is a bit odd--again. Have to go back to the book and read how she really got there, but again, a quick line of dialog during the "Lightning has struck" scene or something like that could have made it clear.

Neville not telling Voldemort to bugger off and killing Nagini, that whole thing, right in front of everyone

Would like to have Molly's emotions and intensity overwhelm even Bella's horrific intensity in one big moment rather than have her look like she was struggling.

Would have liked a little more individual duelling, both in the duels where someone died, and those where they didn't--and more like JKR did it, with sometimes people getting distracted from a duel, or someone helping out with someone else's duel that was going badly, as they ran by on a mission elsewhere, etc.

Kept wondering why Harry's parents and friends were all standing 20 feet back from him in the forest--and agree there should have been more interaction with James

Would have liked to have seen Harry tell Voldemort to try for some remorse, and the whole how/why Voldy dies during the duel was a bit unclear, as well as why Harry's alive, what the thing under the chair was, all that.

I didn't like the "Voldy knows when his Horcruxes die" thing. Also didn't like the "Harry can hear the Horcruxes when he gets near them" but could kind of live with that one. But Voldemort feeling/knowing/getting weaker when they were destroyed seemed like a big canon-breaker to me. And besides, who wants a battle at the climax of a huge series of movies where the hero is fighting a villian who is a fraction of his strongest self? The book version (Jo is brilliant) of this plotline kept Harry from fighting a seriously weakened Voldemort at the end.

Didn't really like the 'take all the Slytherins away' thing, and Slughorn not really saying anything, but recognized that as a sort of movie shorthand and shrugged. Would have been nice to see a couple 'decent' Slytherins refusing to leave, though. Would have added some depth

Would have liked to have seen Harry fix his wand with the Elder Wand. It may not have been on him at the time, but since he broke the Elder Wand during a scene of "wandering around some time afterward", surely they could have had a way to get it, or Hermione having kept it in some pocket or something

Would have been nice to see some of the bit of the trio coming to the conclusion that Harry's cloak was the cloak

Yes, the scar was there, but very faint. Like TheAUnSnitch, I thought to specifically look for it and then could just make it out.

Second, they fell off a tower! Wizards are human! Wouldn't they have died or at least been injured? Harry anyways.

I think that was Harry's intention when he made Voldemort fall off the cliff with him.

Yes, that was clearly the idea, that Harry was willing to go down if he could take Voldemort with him. The moment I saw the ads I knew it was a total steal from Sherlock Holmes at Reichenback Falls, willing to be killed himself if he could take Moriarty out. Steve Kloves is a big Sherlock fan maybe?

Okay, I better stop with the quibbles, before people start thinking I didn't like this movie, which I really did!

Your_Holeyness
July 17th, 2011, 3:28 pm
Yeah this part was in the film. It was the person flying over the entrance courtyard right before they show the trio running down the stairs to enter the courtyard on their way to the boathouse.

Really? :huh: I must have missed that bit somehow.

Heelz2315
July 17th, 2011, 3:58 pm
Newbie here...

Several things irked me alot.

A-Not exploring anything about the Dumbledore Family
B-Hardly any mention of the Hallows
C-King's cross being changed some and shortened (I thought)
D-The Prince's Tale being shortened (alot was left out between Lilly/Snape growing up)

I can live with most of that however far and away the biggest thing that bothered me was the way Voldemort died. He just tured to ash and flew apart! I mean, really? What was up w.that?

Why was that changed......that bordered on ruining the entire ending for me. Why did they change it? Anyone know why that was changed?

Myrmedus
July 17th, 2011, 4:12 pm
On the topic of noone witnessing Voldemort's death I have to agree actually, it would've been SO easy to make it happen. Let's say they wanted the duel to happen in the courtyard rather than in the Great Hall, that's absolutely fine: they could've made the rest of the two forces fight there instead of in the Hall and when Harry and Voldemort come tumbling down everyone could've stopped to look around at what it was, seen Harry and Voldemort and watched like in the book. Very very easy to keep that in the movie while changing the location of the duel.

The one positive thing of Voldemort's death is Fiennes' expressions though, was really good acting on his part without a word said.

And on Kings' Cross I definitely think the scene could and should have been longer. The pace of the film had been so ferocious up to that point that a longer scene would've been fine, people wouldn't have become bored (which I reckon was probably the director and screenwriters' main worry) and I think that the movies actually needed some additional dialogue here compared to the book, not less, due to how little was explained in OotP and HBP. I don't mind the lack of the explanation about Harry and Voldemort's blood-tie keeping him alive - I think the movie hinted that essentially Voldemort's soul fragment acted as a barrier - but it should've gone into depth over the Hallows, over Dumbledore and the prophecy. I went with my Mum to watch it and she still didn't know why Voldemort was so desperate to kill Harry.

Haha, I also love the way so many people have been using the word "irk", as if they're unconsciously remembering what Voldemort says to Harry at the end of OotP.

Carne
July 17th, 2011, 4:20 pm
1. The nice buildup to the battle, but then it just fell completely flat. We got like 2 minutes of actual chaos, while the rest was just the trio and Neville. Where was all the other duels? Where was Hagrid throwing Death Eaters? Why was so much cut?

Someone mentioned Fred and George nodding at Percy in some video, could I have a link to that?

salazarssister
July 17th, 2011, 4:27 pm
I must say I am very satisfied with the final film and although there were little things and sub-plots missing the film captured the story and plot of the book well along with the emotions - I have never felt so happy, sad, excited, scared, disgusted ("baby" voldemort) and satisfied with a movie in my life! However...

The Dumbledore story should have been in the movie more because I felt as if anyone who hadn't read the books would have left the cinema feeling as if Dumbledore was actually quite a cruel character which he wasn't.

The Princes Tale was done beautifully but it didn't capture some of the important points from the novel. There was nothing (or very little) to show that Snape and Lily were actually friends. And nothing which showed that Lily and James didn't actually get on initially.

I loved the Kings Cross scene, however I felt as if it missed out a lot of information which we were provided with in the novel such as the information about Voldemort having Harry's blood and Lily sacrifice etc.

That was really all that bothered me.

LilyEvans13060
July 17th, 2011, 4:36 pm
I didn't like the "Voldy knows when his Horcruxes die" thing. Also didn't like the "Harry can hear the Horcruxes when he gets near them" but could kind of live with that one. But Voldemort feeling/knowing/getting weaker when they were destroyed seemed like a big canon-breaker to me. And besides, who wants a battle at the climax of a huge series of movies where the hero is fighting a villian who is a fraction of his strongest self? The book version (Jo is brilliant) of this plotline kept Harry from fighting a seriously weakened Voldemort at the end.

Yes. I was very annoyed that Voldemort was in pain every time a Horcrux was destroyed. In HP reality, he couldn't feel the destruction of his Horcruxes because his soul was already so maimed. This is a conversation between Dumbledore and Harry.

And Harry being able to talk to the Horcruxes to find their location, again takes away from Harry as a leader and a hero. He instead just becomes a lucky kid. I understand why they did it, especially because of the flop over the Potions book in HBP, but still... it takes away from Harry's character.

Myrmedus
July 17th, 2011, 4:55 pm
Yes. I was very annoyed that Voldemort was in pain every time a Horcrux was destroyed. In HP reality, he couldn't feel the destruction of his Horcruxes because his soul was already so maimed. This is a conversation between Dumbledore and Harry.

I think it's fine actually because it's inconsistent in the book. There's no symptoms for Voldemort when his horcruxes are destroyed yet he collapses when he destroys the horcrux in Harry. What?

And Harry being able to talk to the Horcruxes to find their location, again takes away from Harry as a leader and a hero. He instead just becomes a lucky kid. I understand why they did it, especially because of the flop over the Potions book in HBP, but still... it takes away from Harry's character.

While I understand your point I also think this added a positive to the movie aswell: it made the connection feel even more important - not only did it allow Harry to see into Voldemort's mind but allowed him to track the horcruxes.

Bucc
July 17th, 2011, 5:23 pm
The film was so disjointed that it barely made any sense to me and i have read the book many times. People kept just appearing places. Hagrid in the forest. Luna in the room of requirements. Percy in the great hall. Also they failed in explaining what was happen in most scenes and what they were trying to do.

Well, based on your great works and the many discussions, we did conclude that it was going to be a frantic, hyperkinetic movie. Perfect for the summer crowd.

Many thing that should have been left out were (blood, DD's story) and what they did include would go by in flash. To many moviegoers, DH1 dragged but that wasn't going to be acceptable this time around.

Albus7Potter
July 17th, 2011, 5:48 pm
Yes The Movie Was Absolutly Brilliant But There Were Parts That Kinda Like Killed It ...

1 Begining Was Rushed .. They Wanted The Whole Film To Focus On The Battle ... They Rushed Throu The Gringotts Break In

2.Hogsmade Was Like *** , No Dementors No Death Eaters Summoning The Cloak

3. Snape -McGonagal Battle Was Rushed ... No Flitwick ..

4. To Much Comedy Breaks ... Like It Didnt Show The Tension Of The Last Battle

5.When Neville Killed Nagini ... Voldemort Was Suppoesed To See .. Like *** ...

6.Voldemort -Draco Hug Like *** I Was Smh ...

7. They Didnt Show Voldemort Dueling Kingsley,McGonagal,Slughorn..

8. Bellatrix Didnt Fight Ginny,Luna and Hermione ,, Molly Killed Her To Quickly ..

9. Nobody Saw Voldemort And Harry Going At It I Mean 8 Films Leading To That And Nobody Saw It I Was Like *** ..

NumberEight
July 17th, 2011, 6:51 pm
Overall I really enjoyed this film, but there were little things that bothered me.

1: James in Snape's memories having a red hair and no glasses.
2: the Death Eaters group laughing was so forced
3: the Dumbledore/ Alberforth / Ariana story not being fully explored.
4: the aftermath of Voldemort's demise the scene sort of fizzled out. I think this would've been better handled if everyone had witnessed Harry defeat Voldemort once and for all and celebrated!
5: the quickness of Harry discovering Remus and Tonks body on the ground.

FINALLY

7: Harry destroying the Elder Wand without even repairing his own!
1 is unimportant to the story and 3 would be a waste of screen time to delve into as none of it was explored in detail in Part 1. As for 4, the way it's handled fits the film series better because they share that connection alone, and this is shown quite a bit in the series, especially in Yates' stuff. I really don't know why 5 bothers you.

phoenix88
July 17th, 2011, 7:03 pm

I would have loved for them to include that. I was looking for that too. Honestly I thought the scenes in the preview were the best ones and kind of spoiled the battle for me because I expected there to be even more than what was in the trailers.

Well, based on your great works and the many discussions, we did conclude that it was going to be a frantic, hyperkinetic movie. Perfect for the summer crowd.

Many thing that should have been left out were (blood, DD's story) and what they did include would go by in flash. To many moviegoers, DH1 dragged but that wasn't going to be acceptable this time around.

I know many non book fans complained about the slow pace pf pt 1 but that was honestly the most satisfying Yates film for me because it gave amp,e time for character development and exposition. I just felt with pt 2 was all over the place. I think you are right though. They were probably trying to appeal to the non book fans this time around but still giving the book fans a bone here and there just so we wouldn't feel too shortchanged.

1. The nice buildup to the battle, but then it just fell completely flat. We got like 2 minutes of actual chaos, while the rest was just the trio and Neville. Where was all the other duels? Where was Hagrid throwing Death Eaters? Why was so much cut?

Someone mentioned Fred and George nodding at Percy in some video, could I have a link to that?

I have no idea why they cut so much out. Great buildup but in agree, the battle itself was lacking from what was decried in the book which makes no sense because would have been sic a great cinematic opportunity.

xhanax315
July 17th, 2011, 7:18 pm
The only two major things that come to mind, is Harry destroying the Elder wand and flinging it off the cliff. The other was how Voldemort and Bellatrix dissipated into thin air. All the others were minor things thay can be over looked. There should've been more on Dumbledore's family, but alas, it is what it is.

NumberEight
July 17th, 2011, 7:22 pm
I think Harry destroying the Elder Wand has more finality; how will it be repaired so it can be used?

Potion
July 17th, 2011, 7:24 pm
I loved the movie, although I didn't like the following:

- I didn't like the fact that Voldemort died in the courtyard without anyone watching.
- The fact that people blocked the killing curse everywhere just disturbed me.
- That the younger Snape, who was supposed to be around 11 in The Prince's Tale looked older than Harry does in Prisoner of Azkaban. (I understand that it gets better if they do look older, though)
- Why didn't Severus turn into a bat instead of the common black smoke, which any Death Eater can turn into?
- The whole Epilogue was pretty comical, I didn't expect much, but still.
- Voldemort's twitchy laugh and his awkward hug right after Harry is supposed to be dead. It made a lot of people laugh, it was as though they tried to make a dramatic moment cheerful.

lupinfan882
July 17th, 2011, 8:29 pm
Not mentioning Tonks was pregnant: what was the point of Moody interrupting her in the first movie? How did Harry even know they had a baby? Did the baby even need to be mentioned?

Exactly. How did Harry even find out about Teddy?

notquitesquib
July 17th, 2011, 8:30 pm
I agree, the book duel was MUCH better than movie.

I was bothered mainly by Ron and Hermione allowing Harry to go to the Forest alone. This, I felt was opposite the persistent: 'Harry were going with you' theme.

Also the movie didn't give viewers the perception Snape, was in the end, trying to help Harry. In the book he repeatedly asked Voldemort permission to 'find the boy', which would have allowed Snape to convey Dumbledore's message which Harry eventually receives in the Pensieve.

Those were my main 2 dislikes, but I did enjoy the movie more than any since maybe...PoA. (my fav)

PotterSpell
July 17th, 2011, 8:33 pm
In my opinion Deathly Hallows: Part 1 was the most faithful book to movie adaptation since the first 3 films. But I felt for Part 2 Yates wanted to change it around to make it more movie-like since it was the final film. While some things worked (I liked them using the boathouse for Snape's death, the courtyard duel was a good change) most just bothered me. And I think as one poster pointed out, pretty much every scene not focusing on the trio was already spoiled in trailers, TV spots, previews, and whatnot. But what bothers me most is that this was the shortest Potter film. They could've easily added in our most pointed out omissions and the movie would've worked.

Does Part 2 work as a movie?
Extremely well and very entertaining.
But as a book to film adaptation?
I'd say no, it was sort of a mess.

Yates did a fantastic job with this film, but I think if it were more faithful to the book people still would've liked it and it would've satisfied the book readers a lot more.

Fishielicious
July 17th, 2011, 8:37 pm
I think Harry destroying the Elder Wand has more finality; how will it be repaired so it can be used?Yeah, I have to agree with you on that one. Obviously it's not how it happened in the book, but in the movie, what better way to express Harry's absolute lack of power-lust?

Also, everyone seems to be kind of upset that everything wasn't done more publicly (i.e, Harry vs. Voldemort, Neville vs. Nagini). This is something that I didn't even think about watching the movies, and a complaint I don't understand very well. If the complaint is that Neville won't get the recognition he deserves, well, I think it's quite obvious to everyone already that Neville has changed quite a bit into a much stronger person, and people will know that he did that, whether they saw it themselves or not. I agree it's less neatly packaged to have these important moments happen in a less public arena than they did in the books, but I feel like in the movie, that might have seemed almost intolerably contrived (if, admittedly, cathartic). I didn't have a problem with how they did it on the whole (there were some bizarre choices made, but I won't go into that).

DA93
July 17th, 2011, 9:18 pm
Just a few things bothered me after watching it two times:

- Neville is in love with Luna. Okay... It's not the worst thing, but it wasn't in the book so i see no reason to put it in the movie.

- Bellatrix exploding. Why? I can understand why Voldemort's body is broken, but why they made Bellatrix explode, i will never understand.

- The final battle. Its just better in the book, but i won't complain to much about how they did this.

- Kind of anoying that nobody's mentioning that they're in the Room of Requirement when they arrive Hogwarts. I can imagine thet people who havn't read the book could be confused.

But i really love the movie though :D

PotterGurl08
July 17th, 2011, 9:56 pm
I'm not sure how I feel about Neville/Luna.

We know it's not canon simply because JKR has said so. But in the books, there is no clear indication of who Neville or Luna end up with. I remember after reading the books, for whatever reason, I did naturally pair the two of them up post-DH, until JKR said otherwise.
I think there's just something in the book that creates that feeling, and I can't quite put my finger on why. :hmm:

The movies I think did allude to it in OOTP. I remember Neville running forward to grab Luna's hand after Ginny tore the place down with her "reducto" curse.

Slartibartfast
July 17th, 2011, 10:02 pm
NO Percy
NO Wood.

Percy was present. He appears out of literally no where though. He doesnt even say anything from what i could gather but he is certainly there. Wood? Nah he wasnt there.

I loved the movie, although I didn't like the following:

- Why didn't Severus turn into a bat instead of the common black smoke, which any Death Eater can turn into?

Wut. Why should Snape turn into a bat? That certainly would have made no sense. Hes not an animagus.

- The inclusion of the ruined part of Voldemort's soul, at King's Cross. I loathe the disturbing image of the 'flayed baby' in the book, and I thought its inclusion in the film was unnecessary - it was gross.
lol! I actually liked the fact they included that. I think i would have been a bit upset had they not. Yes i agree its massively disturbing but im glad it was there.

Unfathomable
July 17th, 2011, 10:33 pm
I remember this part that really bothered me the minute I saw in on the movie on the midnight premiere. When Voldemort and the DE's entered the hogwarts grounds and they were standing on one side and the "good" side on the other one? When Neville stepped up to Voldemort he was clearly being mocked like the loser he supposedly was, the loser who didn't have anything to contribute with, who just took up a spot and wasn't good for anything, and when the DE's were blatantly laughing at him... in the books though, he was mocked yet again, but in a honourable way that showed how obsessed Voldemort was with the whole pure blood issue, and how he showed that he was dependant on his supporters. It just annoyed me because it'd be so easy to portray in the movies, and yet... they didn't do it.

voldyisnoseless
July 17th, 2011, 10:33 pm
in one of the hp trailers, it shows a scene of voldemort saying "why do you live?" and harry says "because i have something worth living for." why did they cut that scene out of the movie? i wanted to see it!

Potion
July 17th, 2011, 10:35 pm
I didn't mean that he turned into a bat, I meant that Snape was a powerful wizard and not a common Death Eater, which (in the movies) turn into black smoke. It would've been better in my opinion if they really tried to show the audience that Snape was powerful and was able to fly, without turning into black smoke.

One thing I didn't like about the audience when I watched the premiere was the fact that it seemed in my opinion like the fans tried really hard to cry the loudest. It felt like they wanted the the others to know that they were crying, and simply didn't only cry because of the dramatic scenes. I respect that people were crying, but it just felt more like 'It feels like I'm much more of a Potter fan if my cry is really loud'

voldyisnoseless
July 17th, 2011, 10:35 pm
for people who didn't like how much of the battle was cut out, i have some good news! i heard somewhere that on the dvd extras there will be more battle scenes.

decarus
July 17th, 2011, 10:38 pm

The film was very frantic for certain. It is just even though you know every scene before you see the film you still think that they are going to slow it down a little with good dialogue and good solid wrap up. I mean this is the last one. I just didn't think they did that.

pesky_pixie
July 17th, 2011, 11:08 pm
For people complaining that Snape came across looking like a saint in this film, remember that these were Snape's memories that Harry is experiencing in the Pensieve. It's totally expected that they should reflect Snape in a good light. If we saw James' memories, I'm sure we'd get a different view of things.

What do you all think about using Snape's tears for the collection of the memories instead of smoky wisps flying out of his head?

I liked it. I think the tears are much more symbolic for Snape's love and loss for Lily.

I liked Minerva saying she always wanted to do that spell when she conjured the statues to life to protect the castle. Since we didn't get to see her yell "Charge!" to a whole group of animated desks and whatnot, I felt she got a good line in anyway.

I think the most important lines that were cut from the film had to do with Harry telling Voldemort that the only way he could save himself now was to try a little remorse. That was a very key part to the whole horcrux lore. It should have been kept for the film.

And the final battle between Harry and Voldemort should have been witnessed by the whole crowd present at Hogwarts. This was it. The major event of the entire series. All the major characters who didn't die yet should have been there to witness. To cheer for Harry. To have closure.

Rew
July 17th, 2011, 11:50 pm
I agree with many of these, but here's one no one's brought up yet:

Snow in Hogsmeade.

Every time we've seen Hogsmeade in the films (dating back to HP3) it's always covered in snow. This makes sense in HP3-6 since it's during the wintertime when the students go to visit.

But in Deathly Hallows? It's May 1! Granted, I know Britain has a much cooler climate than where I'm from (South Carolina), but I'm pretty sure even in the UK snow in May is extremely rare. And even if we grant that the area suffered a severe cold snap that particular day, it still doesn't explain why Hogwarts (just a stone's throw away) doesn't have an ounce of snow or ice anywhere in sight.

It just smacked of laziness on the producers' part.

magnolia7
July 18th, 2011, 12:13 am
To tell you the truth nothing really bothered me. Although I do wish they could have shown Fred's death scene, loved Ron crying over him. Gets me every time (cries) :(

Carne
July 18th, 2011, 12:16 am
for people who didn't like how much of the battle was cut out, i have some good news! i heard somewhere that on the dvd extras there will be more battle scenes.

Where did you hear this?

LilyxSnape17
July 18th, 2011, 1:00 am
The scenes that bothered me the most were Fred's off-screen death and important pieces of the final battle missing. I feel, as others have been saying, that the crowd should have been present during the final Voldemort/Harry battle. I missed Harry calling him "Tom" as well as explaining what he now knew. It also bothered me that no one really said anything after the battle was through. I'm glad they didn't have an extravagant celebration, but a little acknowledgment towards Voldemort's defeat would have been nice. Other than these, I thought the film was brilliant!

Gloomy_Gurl
July 18th, 2011, 1:10 am
There isn't much that bothered me in the movie...but there were a few things that irked me.

1. No Teddy Lupin??? Other than Tonks beginning to tell Harry about being pregnant in part 1 (before being interrupted) there is no mention of the baby until Harry goes into the forest.

2. Not enough Severus & Lily memories. This was the part I was looking forward to the most and I was really disappointed. It didn't go through the depth of their friendship or what brought it to an end.

3. The part where Harry grabs on to Voldemort and they fall from the castle. I saw no point in that.

4. The epilogue. Once again, no Teddy. I think they could have done a lot more than they did and they didn't age Ginny well, she looked like a little girl playing mommy.

Other than that I can live with everything else. Sure there was other stuff that made me go "meh" but didn't really bother me.

On a scale of one to Voldemort, how awkward are your hugs?

Fally
July 18th, 2011, 1:15 am

Here is the video of the Fred and George nodding at Percy its towards the end of the video enjoy :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfpJ66MVTug

also ive heard they did shoot a whole heap of battles with the kids apparently there was a fight with seamus and neville that was never put in and also seamus doing pyro or something. im not sure if any of this will be on the dvd but hopefully it will be

MerryLore
July 18th, 2011, 1:16 am
The scenes where Voldemort, Bellatrix, and Nagini just split into pieces bothered me until i realized they were probably trying to avoid an R rating. Same with Lavender's death not being gory, and how Snape being bitten by Nagini was not shown directly.

I wish they'd kept the final Harry vs. Voldemort battle like it was in the book. If they had, they could have kept the intensity, as well as everyone's excitement when Harry was victorious, instead of that scene when people half smiled at Harry when he walked through Hogwarts. I thought the ending was flat.

AMAC
July 18th, 2011, 1:19 am
The scenes where Voldemort, Bellatrix, and Nagini just split into pieces bothered me until i realized they were probably trying to avoid an R rating. Same with Lavender's death not being gory, and how Snape being bitten by Nagini was not shown directly.

I doubt that was the reason, if it had been surely they wouldn't have shown Voldemort walking through puddles of blood and various dead bodies.

MerryLore
July 18th, 2011, 1:30 am
I doubt that was the reason, if it had been surely they wouldn't have shown Voldemort walking through puddles of blood and various dead bodies.

Yes - but they didn't really show graphic close ups of those dead bodies. They were mostly shown from a distance. The dead people they did show up close, like Lavender, had no blood on them. Even dead Snape was bloodless (although they showed some blood while he was dying, but even that - based on his injury - was minimal).

They went as far as they could and not get the R rating, I believe.

Nnylarak
July 18th, 2011, 1:58 am
The thing that bothered me the most about the movie was the "Harry is dead" scene. In the book, Neville gets to be epic, and say "I'll join you when Hell freezes over!", and "Dumbledore's Army!" and then slice off the snake's head. It's one of my favorite scenes in the book overall, and I was really looking forward to it. To me, it's Neville's crowning moment, and what makes him so amazing. But in the movie, he says this sappy speech and Voldemort hugs Draco. What? I know they had to change certain scenes for movie purposes, and I can accept that, but I don't understand why they thought the movie scene would be better than the book scene in this case. :hmm:

voldyisnoseless
July 18th, 2011, 2:49 am
Yes - but they didn't really show graphic close ups of those dead bodies. They were mostly shown from a distance. The dead people they did show up close, like Lavender, had no blood on them. Even dead Snape was bloodless (although they showed some blood while he was dying, but even that - based on his injury - was minimal).

They went as far as they could and not get the R rating, I believe.

i think so to. i head somewhere before the movie was released to the public, the suits of armor mcgonnagal transfigured stabbed death eaters but i didn't see any of that in the film. i only saw them stab 1 giant

HMN
July 18th, 2011, 3:04 am
The number one far and away thing that bothered me the most was no reaction/witnesses to Voldemort's death. The entire 8 movies built up to that point and it had no reaction. It doesn't make any sense.
.Didn't even see this thread, I've been posting my disappointment in this in the discussion thread.. I think for me too, I could excuse everything else except that there are no witnesses to Voldie's death. Drives me crazy!

Slartibartfast
July 18th, 2011, 3:19 am

Snow in Hogsmeade.

Every time we've seen Hogsmeade in the films (dating back to HP3) it's always covered in snow. This makes sense in HP3-6 since it's during the wintertime when the students go to visit.

But in Deathly Hallows? It's May 1! Granted, I know Britain has a much cooler climate than where I'm from (South Carolina), but I'm pretty sure even in the UK snow in May is extremely rare. And even if we grant that the area suffered a severe cold snap that particular day, it still doesn't explain why Hogwarts (just a stone's throw away) doesn't have an ounce of snow or ice anywhere in sight.

Oh hello, Rew! ;) To be honest, i didnt even notice that! Next time i see the film, ill have to keep an eye out for that.

and how Snape being bitten by Nagini was not shown directly.
Im really glad that wasnt present!

ajna
July 18th, 2011, 4:01 am

Snow in Hogsmeade.

I've mentioned this before too. Hogsmeade is walking distance from Hogwarts and is completely snowed in, but Hogswart seems just average, with no snow and no snow on the mountains. I think the director just felt we wouldn't recognize Hogsmeade without snow.

ProfessorWooton
July 18th, 2011, 4:33 am
It bothered me how they changed Snape's last words, and pretty much his whole death part.

lil_snuffles
July 18th, 2011, 5:00 am
For some reason, I was kind of peeved that they didn't include Pettigrews death. I am very surprised that it wasn't included in the film. Also, the fact that they never even told us that Remus and Tonks had a kid. So when it came to the resurrection stone scene, while Harry was talking to Remus, my mom was like, "Wait, when did he have a kid?"

Badgers_Rule
July 18th, 2011, 5:13 am
1.Snow in Hogsmeade bothered me.
2.I wanted to see Fred's death scene with Percy.
3.Harry and Voldemort feeling the Horcruxes.
4.The whole ending starting with Voldemort hugging Draco, Neville's speech,
Voldemort and Harry's battle with them falling from the tower, no one seeing
Voldemort's death, Harry not fixing his wand with the elder wand.

lil_snuffles
July 18th, 2011, 5:30 am
A few other things after thinking about the film: Harry not fixing his wand and not burying it with Dumbledore. It would have also been nice to get a little bit more back story on Dumbledore. And last, it seemed like Percy just appeared out of no where.

hollyandphoenix
July 18th, 2011, 5:38 am
Hi Everyone!
This is my first post on the board, but I had a few things I wanted to say.

First, I just want to say that I LOVED the movie. I don't usually like to find fault, especially with book to movie adaptations, because the movie is never going to measure up to the book.

But...there is one thing that did bother me about the movie. A lot of people have mentioned being frustrated about the end and I do agree with that. I felt that from the point Hagrid carried Harry into the courtyard until the very end, the movie just didn't quite get it done. And I feel awful saying that. But, I wanted more emotion. I wanted more emotion from Hagrid as he was carrying "dead" Harry. I wanted more emotion from the Hogwarts crowd when they saw Harry in Hagrid's arms. Then I wanted more emotion when Harry ended up being alive. I don't know, I guess I felt like at the end, the characters were just going through the motions and not really showing feeling.

I loved/adored the movie up until Harry's death. I only liked the movie after that. I felt like they could have done SO much more.

As far as the very end, with Voldemort's death. I LOVED how JK described Voldemort's death: "Tom Riddle hit the floor with a mundane finality, his body feeble and shrunken..." I just loved the visual of him dying like a boring muggle.

Also, in terms of a huge celebration at the end, I'm not sure if that would have been the right ending either, because there was sadness because of all the death. I don't know...I just wish they had done something different.

Okay, this got really long, but I wanted to get it said.

ElRatio
July 18th, 2011, 5:55 am
Hey there everyone! New here but have been a longtime reader and long-longtime fan of the series as whole. Most of my issues with this film have been discussed so I won't get into those and appear redundant.

I did want to point out that the scale of this movie seemed a bit, well, "off". Most notably set wise. Gringotts (lobby area) and the great hall really bugged me. The great hall especially. When we see snapegathering all of the students together to rat out Harry, it just seemed tiny compared to the onscreen version of past films. Same with the gringotts lobby. Did anyone notice this?

hpfan101
July 18th, 2011, 6:01 am
I loved/adored the movie up until Harry's death. I only liked the movie after that. I felt like they could have done SO much more.

Hi hollyandphoenix! Welcome and congrats on your first post!

I completely agree with you. I loved the movie up until that very point as well. I still enjoyed the remainder of the movie, but I definitely agree that the emotional drama that was a part of the final chapters of the book was missing.

I definitely did NOT like that they changed when/where Neville killed Nagini. I thought it had more power in the book since Voldemort saw Nagini die and knew that his last and final horcrux was gone. I think it made him more vulnerable...and more deranged...during his final confrontation with Harry in the book. I did not feel that in the movie.

I also was not a fan of the final confrontation being just between Harry and Voldemort? Where was the crowd? Where did Harry show Voldemort that Voldemort had no power over any of them anymore? Where does Harry tell Tom about the great mistakes Tom has made? And where is the line..."Try for a little remorse, Tom."

A few other things, but these things bothered me the most. Voldemort died...and that was it. A little anti-climatic, IMO.

DeliciousMoon
July 18th, 2011, 6:18 am
Some things that bothered me:

The fact that the gold in Gringotts didn't burn the trio like it did in the book. Would have made it a lot more dramatic imo if they kept it that way.

The Prince's Tale. They should have explained the friendship a bit better - especially why it failed otherwise the outcome doesn't make much sense imo. It also felt rushed.

The fact we didn't see Harry repair his old wand, but it's a minor quibble.

TheScribbler
July 18th, 2011, 6:20 am
To preface this, I LOVED the movie. I thought it was the best yet. However, some of the things that bothered me were:

-Luna being at Shell Cottage, then suddenly appearing in the Room of Requirement. What the heck? I wish they'd explained that.

-The battle. Now, the build-up was awesome. I was literally shaking with excitement when they were putting up the shield. But after that... it was basically the trio the whole time. No other action seemed to be going on.

-Harry's face was constantly pushed at us, all the time. I bet 60% of most scenes just had close-ups of Harry looking troubled and breathing heavily.

-Harry 'telling' Ron & Hermione about him being a horcrux. Except that he didn't really tell them. Ron was completely in the dark, and Harry didn't even hug him goodbye! Awful, awful, awful. I can't believe they ignored Ron AGAIN.

-The King's Cross scene. It just didn't work for me, or my brother, who was with me watching it. He hasn't read the books, and he told me at that point he was utterly confused, and bored!

-The epilogue... it was basically a huge block of cheese. Which I don't mind, only the script was rotten. The kids', and Harry's, lines were so bad, and it didn't help that 'older them' looked lackluster at best in terms of make-up, etc.

Finally, and this is quite minor, did it look to anybody else like Alan Rickman had lipstick and eyeshadow on during the flashback scenes? Maybe it was a weird make-up thing in an attempt to make him look younger?
Or maybe I'm completely balmy, I dunno...

ajna
July 18th, 2011, 6:29 am
I am so disappointed in the ending. In thought the whole point of making 2 movies was to make it accurate to the books. The best part of the book was the ending with Harry explaining everything to voldemort. Why he cannot beat Harry. Not to mention the fact that the two dueling stopped everyone else from dueling and were watching it unfold. Ten years in the making and this is the ending for the movie. Not one mention of the hallows in the end. I can't believe jk would allow this. I could not have been more disappointed. I knew the movie would be a bit different but to mess up the ending is ridiculous. I actually thought they did a good job until then. Also can't believe they changed the part where Neville kills nagini. Thanks for reading.

I could live without knowing about the Hallows. But they are there. They give them to us in the movies. It seems incorrect to have spent so much time talking about Hallows and not really to do anything along it. I understand why to not over emphasise them, but it seems silly to introduce them and then leave them hanging dry. I don't know if how Neville does his work bothers me too much. I think they were just trying to follow a line of reasoning with regards to killing the snake.

ccollinsmith
July 18th, 2011, 7:15 am
I liked pretty much everything in the movie except the final confrontation between Harry and Voldemort and all the drama about killing Nagini.

I thought all of that was over-blown and over-the-top. To me it smacked of Titanic syndrome - i.e., if you've got a ship going down, make sure you've got crazy chases going all over the ship. Not my favorite style of storytelling. I find it incredibly cheesy.

I also really didn't like it that in the battle with Voldemort, Harry is able to battle Voldemort with magic. Sorry. Harry's magic is no match for Voldemort's. In the book, Harry beats Voldemort with his mind and his heart, not with his power.

Other than that, though, I loved the movie.

lil_snuffles
July 18th, 2011, 7:24 am
I definitely did NOT like that they changed when/where Neville killed Nagini. I thought it had more power in the book since Voldemort saw Nagini die and knew that his last and final horcrux was gone. I think it made him more vulnerable...and more deranged...during his final confrontation with Harry in the book. I did not feel that in the movie.

Agreed. That was such a pivitol part in the book and it really would have made a big impact on the film if Voldemort himself saw Nagini die.

Quaphasia
July 18th, 2011, 7:37 am

Agreed. What a disappointment.

Also, basically everything that has been said already.

The fact that Harry told Ron and Hermione that he would go to the forest. Why? It's a thing between Harry and Dumbledore. The fact that Ron just stood there and watched him leave, without any sign of anticipation. After all, I think he made through more with Harry than Hermione did...

The fact that Harry did not put on the insivibility cloak before jumping off from Hagrid's arms and just showed the crowd that he's alive without any sort of moment of.. relief. All they showed was Harry running away and Hermione giving a amused sort of laughter. If he had hidden and attacked Voldemort later, it would have had a
much better effect.

The fact that Harry just broke the Elder Wand in two. WHY? The last form of tribute he paid to Dumbledore was putting it back to his tomb, not simpy breaking it. Also, why didn't he go back to his office to talk to the portrait? That always gave me a bit of consolation. Harry, Ron and Hermione just standing there and looking somewhat agitatedly into the distance seemed out of place.

The epilogue, I mean ***? It seemed a bit ridicidulous just to change their make up and hair-do a bit, especially with regard to Ginny. I thought she looked like a little girl playing a grown-up in a school play.

Arya_
July 18th, 2011, 9:20 am
:huh:

1 is unimportant to the story and 3 would be a waste of screen time to delve into as none of it was explored in detail in Part 1. As for 4, the way it's handled fits the film series better because they share that connection alone, and this is shown quite a bit in the series, especially in Yates' stuff. I really don't know why 5 bothers you.

1. It may be unimportant but it's still very canon.
3. They managed to talk about it though in this film, so 2 more minutes explaining wouldn't have harmed the film at all,

5. bothered me because there should've been a little bit more emotion from Harry.

beth83
July 18th, 2011, 9:57 am
I'm sure I'll get more when I see it again, although that won't be in a cinema unfortunately, but the thing that actually bothered me watching it is a small one (and it could be because I really don't like the character): Why was Cho Chang still at Hogwarts?

There were a few other things but I think they have been mentioned.

Potion
July 18th, 2011, 10:15 am
About the snow in Hogsmeade: Well, it's Harry Potter we're talking about! The snow could be bewitched. Magic is probably the reason there's always snow in Hogsmeade.

Erisa
July 18th, 2011, 10:37 am
I didn't like that Harry told Hermione and Ron he was going to Voldemort and that they let him go. It was completely unnecessary. And if Hermione really thought Harry might be a horcrux, then why would she tell him earlier to close off his mind? And why wouldn't she share her theory with Harry and Ron?

I didn't like that no one was there to witness Voldemort's death and that he evaporated instead of dropping dead. How does the wizarding community know he's really gone? Everyone thought he was dead the first time he failed to kill Harry and he still came back later.

I didn't like the chase sequence between Ron/Hermione and Nagini and I didn't like how Neville came out of nowhere to cut her head off with the sword when he had no idea that was the only way to kill her.

magnolia7
July 18th, 2011, 10:44 am
I didn't like that Harry told Hermione and Ron he was going to Voldemort and that they let him go. It was completely unnecessary. And if Hermione really thought Harry might be a horcrux, then why would she tell him earlier to close off his mind? And why wouldn't she share her theory with Harry and Ron?

I didn't like that no one was there to witness Voldemort's death and that he evaporated instead of dropping dead. How does the wizarding community know he's really gone? Everyone thought he was dead the first time he failed to kill Harry and he still came back later.

I didn't like the chase sequence between Ron/Hermione and Nagini and I didn't like how Neville came out of nowhere to cut her head off with the sword when he had no idea that was the only way to kill her.

Neville should have just killed the snake when he was giving his speech like in the book.

I wish the movie was a little longer, I wish it was 2 hours and 30 minutes.

finick08
July 18th, 2011, 10:45 am
That 19 years later was abit of a joke imo, people were laughing when i saw it, i hope i look that good in 19 years time. I will have to think about it for a day or 2 to sum up the things i liked and disliked or go watch it again soon.

Amandaj
July 18th, 2011, 3:11 pm

That was my biggest gripe too. I wanted the show down to be infront of everybody, just like in the book. I wanted Harry to mention Bellatrix's death, Snapes deception, the elder wand etc. The ending we got, as spectacular as it looked, didn't feel like it tied up all the loose ends, Harry didn't get to expain anything to Voldemort or the rest of the fighters.

AtlasShrugged
July 18th, 2011, 3:45 pm
I did enjoy the movie and I know I need to see it again to fully appreciate everything but I have some major issues with the film (most has already been said by others).

1.) I absolutely do not understand why there was no celebration after Voldemort was killed. This is almost unforgiveable to me. I mean, I was annoyed in Half-Blood Prince with the added scene of the burrow burning but at least I could say "okay, the film makers wanted to add some drama, pacing, etc.". But this decision to end the film this way is baffling to me. It actually dropped my rating of the film from "excellent" to just "pretty good". The ending was unsettling, unsatisfying, and disappointing to me.

2.) The duel between Voldemort and Harry was also unsatisfactory. I know they needed to "spice things up" for the movie but I hated hated hated the way Harry pulled Voldemort off the cliff and the subsequent "faces merging thing". Perhaps I am being too much of a book purist but I just think the way it happened in the book was so much better. Harry being confident and in control and telling Voldemort just how things are. I've heard people say this confrontation is anticlimatic which I do not understand. Harry just spent the last year hunting and destroying horcruxes which can be considered part of the battle to kill Voldemort.

3.) Not enough battle. The battle scenes were great but there were too few. I am not a big action person (for example, I actually get kind of bored in Lord of the Rings because I feel like the battles drag on and on) but there was simply not enough duels! I think it would have been fantastic to see more of the Weasleys as well as the Order fighting.

4.) Way too much humor. Granted I did see the movie at midnight and the theater was packed but everyone was laughing at everything, even stuff that I don't think was supposed to be funny (example, when Voldemort is celebrating and does his little "dance" sort of thing). I noticed when I saw HBP in the theater at midnight, everyone was laughing so hard but when I saw it a few days later with less people, there was much less laughter. The reason I bring this up is I think I need to see it again with a different group of people that won't be laughing at inappropriate moments.

I do have a few more minor squabbles (the Draco/Voldemort hug, Bellatrix shattering, the Ron/Hermione kiss, King's Cross) but the ones above that I listed I just can't seem to get over.

leverystrange
July 18th, 2011, 4:43 pm
The epilogue to me was terrible. It looked like they were sending their kids off to be executed. The first time harry went to the station, there was excitement etc. I mean, Voldemort has been dead for 19 years for goodness sake, he's not headmaster of Hogwarts!!!

I also hated the way Ron was excluded with the last shot. I mean, I know he was there, but it looked more like the 'Hermione and Harry Show' with Ron as an extra in the background. They did that in HBP as well and I hated it!

zinnia625
July 18th, 2011, 5:00 pm
The last book did talk about Snape jumping out a window and turning into a bat ...during the battle with McGonagall, Flitwick, and Sprout..

HMN
July 18th, 2011, 5:36 pm
It bothered me how they changed Snape's last words, and pretty much his whole death part.Hmm, I liked how they added, 'you have your mother's eyes.' I think that said so much in those 5 words.

For some reason, I was kind of peeved that they didn't include Pettigrews death. Me too - they should have just had him strangle himself in Part 1. It was a needless deviation from the book. And then when Harry tried to help Pettigrew it would have matched nicely with him consoling Snape in Part 2.

A few other things after thinking about the film: Harry not fixing his wand and not burying it with Dumbledore. Right, because I always liked that another generation could have hunted for Hallows. Just leaving the possibility open.

I didn't like that no one was there to witness Voldemort's death and that he evaporated instead of dropping dead. How does the wizarding community know he's really gone? Everyone thought he was dead the first time he failed to kill Harry and he still came back later.Right? He simply vanished the first time and came back, so what tells us he's gone forever now. That along with they made efforts to make Voldie more and more human throughout the movie -like the creepy Draco hug, and even him seeming to gain weight, and just looking like an older man - and then they don't leave a human, mortal body behind. I just can't get over that.

ajna
July 18th, 2011, 5:54 pm
The epilogue to me was terrible. It looked like they were sending their kids off to be executed. The first time harry went to the station, there was excitement etc. I mean, Voldemort has been dead for 19 years for goodness sake, he's not headmaster of Hogwarts!!!

I also hated the way Ron was excluded with the last shot. I mean, I know he was there, but it looked more like the 'Hermione and Harry Show' with Ron as an extra in the background. They did that in HBP as well and I hated it!

I'm not sure I understand you here. I thought the kids looked excited and like they were having fun. I felt like Ron was in the shot also. He is third back, but he nearly always is. He seemed equally in the shot though, not like HPB where he is way back there.

Snapes_Girl
July 18th, 2011, 5:59 pm
I wish in the final scene with Harry and Voldemort that we would have gotten some of the book dialogue. I was hoping for Harry to ask Voldemort if he had felt any remorse. I think the scene was over too quickly.

ajna
July 18th, 2011, 6:13 pm
4. 19 Years Later - After Harry tells James about the Sorting Hat taking the student's choice into account, I was waiting for him to say, "It did for me." Minor thing, but it would have showed quite the connection between Harry and his son. Plus no one paying attention to Harry at King's Cross. Everyone is supposed to be staring at him and Ron says, "It's because I'm famous." Would have been nice to have one last laugh thanks to Ron at the end of the movie. And was I mistaken, or did Harry not have a scar in the King's Cross scene?

On my second viewing he does have the scar. But it is very faded.

nabixsarang
July 18th, 2011, 6:36 pm
When Fred and George are on the parapet and he says 'Are you ok Freddie?' George has two ears

Potion
July 18th, 2011, 7:03 pm
When Fred and George are on the parapet and he says 'Are you ok Freddie?' George has two ears

I noticed this as well, but then I went back to part 1 to check. When George lost his ear in part 1, he only sort of lost the upper part of the ear, in the books his whole ear is basically lost. George's hair was covering the upper part of the ear I'd say.

leverystrange
July 18th, 2011, 7:13 pm
I'm not sure I understand you here. I thought the kids looked excited and like they were having fun. I felt like Ron was in the shot also. He is third back, but he nearly always is. He seemed equally in the shot though, not like HPB where he is way back there.

Hmmm... I don't know, maybe I need to watch it again (I wasn't feeling too well yesterday). I guess I always feel like Ron's left out in the movies. I would have preferred it if Hermione stood holding him or something. To me it looked like she had left Ron behind and was standing with Harry. But, like I said, maybe I just need to watch it again.

Yeah, the kids seemed excited, but the parents not so much... like I said, it almost looked like they were sending them away to their execution. Okay, not that I'd expect the parents to be jumping for joy when they send their kids away (although, I'm sure some would ;) ) I just felt it was a little sad, it wasn't their first cjild they were sending off and wasn't going to be their last. My parents weren't as sad when they dropped us off at the station at the beginning of term.

nabixsarang
July 18th, 2011, 8:03 pm
I noticed this as well, but then I went back to part 1 to check. When George lost his ear in part 1, he only sort of lost the upper part of the ear, in the books his whole ear is basically lost. George's hair was covering the upper part of the ear I'd say.

ah thank you :) I'm glad it wasn't just me who saw it lol.

Rons_ghoul
July 18th, 2011, 9:24 pm
Though there were several deviations from the book, such that they would leave the non-reading movie-goer scratching their head in confusion, I was bothered most by the final confrontation.

Since the beginning, Voldy has touted his superiority over Harry. He's always believed he was above to the rest of the wizarding class, deserving of the title "Lord", and clever in his plans to secretly protect his immortality.

For me, the most satisfying aspect of the book's conclusion is the moments in the end where Voldy realized he was wrong, that he'd been bested, that he wasn't as clever as he'd thought, small and pitiable, and that a teenager he perceived as ordinary has outmaneuvered him. I believe this was more devastating than his physical death (though it's obvious he feared his own death greatly, much more than Harry). Furthermore, coming to this realization before all of his enemies added to the deflation.

Unfortunately, in the movie, Voldy only seems confused at what's happening, ignorant of why he's failed, just before he turns into confetti. We didn't see him put in his place, just done away with. That left me unsatisfied and disappointed.

On a side note, the Malfoy hug caused chuckles and giggles in my theatre (Saw it at the 3D IMAX at Universal Orlando; lots of children with their HP merchandise they'd just bought at the park). It seemed out of place and awkward.

brownsrule
July 18th, 2011, 10:04 pm
I agree with many people's points here, but in a few spots, the changes from the book were appropriate and worked well. It is frustrating though that so many changes seem to be without an explanation though, that the book version would have been more cinematic than the screen version.

Changes that worked:

1. Harry saying goodbye to Hermione and Ron; it allowed him to voice his choice to die so the audience could hear it and without his thoughts explaining why, it would have seemed strange for Harry not to say goodbye to his friends. But, yes, Ron not saying goodbye with a bear-hug seemed strange....
2. Snapping the wand- actually, it makes more sense than putting it back with Dumbledore. But yes, I also wanted him to mend his old wand.

As for the other changes, I found them to be questionable but I still enjoyed the movie for what it is- something different than the book. But that being said, why couldn't you have a more movie -friendly Voldy-Harry battle and still have Harry have the conversation, still talk to Voldy? And, of course, you still could have the crowd gathered in the courtyard.

And could there be a more cinema friendly scene than Neville, the sorting hat and Nagini? The way Ron and Hermione hunt him now seemed totally unnecessary and pointless.

And I actually thought the epilogue was well done- the girls somehow didn't age but Harry and Ron looked decent and it was touching to see life go on; I know everyone I saw the movie with hadn't read the books and they very much liked the ending.
I'll post some other thoughts later...

LilyxSnape17
July 18th, 2011, 10:34 pm
When Harry mentioned Lupin's son to him in the Forest...this line and Lupin's response is so emotional in the book, and yet in DH1 they never mentioned he had a son! I was glad that they kept the line in, to give some recognition to Lupin being there, but talk about confusing for non-book readers! It would have been better I think to give Harry/Lupin a non canon dialogue instead if they didn't want to include his son in the story.

MerryLore
July 18th, 2011, 10:37 pm
I didn't like the screaming after Voldemort first began speaking to everyone. I believe it was in the book, but I still thought it was annoying.

I wish we could have seen Neville and Professor Sprout fighting, using plants.

I wanted to see Madame Trewlaney hit Fenrir Greyback with the crystal ball when he attacked Lavender.

I wanted to see Peeves create havoc, and hear his "Voldy is moldy" song.

EndCredits
July 18th, 2011, 10:40 pm
The deaths of Lupin, Tonks and Fred. Just merely glimpsed over. That could have been an absolute heartbreaker in the film which would have captured the hearts of even the non-book readers.

Also is there gunna be an extended version of this?

if so I think thats where the (minor) characters' scenes come into play.

AMAC
July 18th, 2011, 10:46 pm
Loved the Harry/Voldemort duel I just wish that when they had landed in the great hall instead of the courtyard and then before recommencing the attack have the exchange of words that explains how Harry is still alive and how Voldy is seconds from finally dying!

Hedwiglives7
July 18th, 2011, 11:09 pm
I know that the Harry/Voldemort monologues at the battle wouldn't have been very "movie-ish" but I feel like they could have at least have had Harry say that Snape was Dumbledore's and that he was the master of the Elder wand. That's would take like 30 seconds...
and I completely hated flaking away Voldemort. I mean really, did he need dandruff shampoo of something?! In the book I thought it was really cool how he just died like anyone else because it showed he was completely human once again.

One of my favorite things about the book was that when McGonigal said anyone who didn't want to fight could be evacuated, so many people stayed. It showed the students' real loyalty to Hogwarts and eachother. That's actually probably what I was most disappointed about.

And finally, HARRY'S WAND!! When he snapped the Elder Wand without fixing his I literally wanted to get up and scream at him!!

Anyway, the movie was still amazing:agree: My friends and I were the freaks having duels in the lobby before it started. Pretty awesome.

And of course, WHY DID GEORGE HAVE AN EAR?!

Rich
July 19th, 2011, 12:40 am
I was a bit annoyed with the battle between Snape and McGonagall, changing up Nagini being killed, and how Harry just snapped the Elder Wand at the end. I was really hoping the film would show him repairing his original wand. That aside, I still loved the movie. But of course, like all previous movies, they deviated a bit from the book. However, these novels are difficult to translate to the screen directly.

Unrepentant
July 19th, 2011, 12:46 am
The deaths of Lupin, Tonks and Fred. Just merely glimpsed over. That could have been an absolute heartbreaker in the film which would have captured the hearts of even the non-book readers.

Also is there gunna be an extended version of this?

if so I think thats where the (minor) characters' scenes come into play.

But isn't Tonks and Lupin's death kinda supposed to get merely glimpsed over? In the book, Harry just catches the sight of them lying in the Great Hall. I liked that they held hands, that was so cute.

And yes, I would love for some more minor characters in the EV! (If there's going to be any)

GrimeldaDursley
July 19th, 2011, 12:53 am
The Hug. Uggh!:no:

Fawkesfan1
July 19th, 2011, 1:00 am
Dumbledore's backstory was kind of left out... and that made him look less human in some way. I kind of felt indifferent about him due to that.

Harry not repairing his old wand -- seriously, what was up with that? -- considering how close Hermione was with her wand (using her as an example here)... wouldn't Harry be as close with his? The fact that he repaired it, showed that... and the fact that they didn't have him doing that in the movie, makes it make no sense what so ever.

Montse
July 19th, 2011, 1:36 am
Not many

1. The final Voldy-Harry duel. I wanted it to canon , it wasnt. It was not as bad as I expected it to be knowing it had been "spiced up" but I am not a fan of it . I like it in the book as it is. so sue me , I would have loved it to stick to the book

2. Hermione and Ron get a proper kiss and Harry and Ginny dont.( I am happy for Hermione and Ron , but still , the hero needed a better kiss with his girl )

3. NO one was there to cheer for Voldies death

4. No one finds out Harry was master of death or the sacrifice he made protected the peopel on his side.

5. Fredīs death was not shown.

HP4evr1807
July 19th, 2011, 2:44 am
Not many

1. The final Voldy-Harry duel. I wanted it to canon , it wasnt. It was not as bad as I expected it to be knowing it had been "spiced up" but I am not a fan of it . I like it in the book as it is. so sue me , I would have loved it to stick to the book

2. Hermione and Ron get a proper kiss and Harry and Ginny dont.( I am happy for Hermione and Ron , but still , the hero needed a better kiss with his girl )

4. No one finds out Harry was master of death or the sacrifice he made protected the peopel on his side.

I agree with your points. I also liked how the final confrontation is in the book as well--with the cheering, everyone around them, etc. This was more private between them--I liked it, but I liked the book version as well.

I like the Ron/Hermione kiss even better in the movie than it was in the book (our whole theater cheered and clapped), but I agree that Harry and Ginny didn't really get a big moment like that--it wasn't really in the book though either, most of their big romance moments were in HBP and in Part 1 with their kiss (which weren't as prevalent in that movie either). I do wish there was a bigger romance moment after the battle, but that wasn't canon either.

I actually liked that Fred's death wasn't shown--that would have been to sad for me to see!!

Also, Harry does explain that he is the true owner of the Elder Wand, and we know in the movies that he had the stone and the cloak, so it was implied, but never stated outright.

I also didn't like that when Harry was leaving to meet Voldemort in the forest Ron didn't say anything to him--I know he was upset, but he didn't seem to have any emotion behind him leaving, not like Hermione anyway.

decarus
July 19th, 2011, 2:59 am
Right, because I always liked that another generation could have hunted for Hallows. Just leaving the possibility open.

I know what if Jo writes another book in 25 years about the hallows. I liked the possibility being open as well.

Spindlewick
July 19th, 2011, 3:08 am
Did one of the Patil twins die? I know we got that shot of Lavendar getting snacked on, but I remember in the Great Hall either Padma or Parvati was with Trelawney covering up a curiously unseen body. Some might say it was just Lavendar..but idk. Thoughts?

JimmyPotter
July 19th, 2011, 3:14 am
I know what if Jo writes another book in 25 years about the hallows. I liked the possibility being open as well.

That seems highly unlikely. I suppose someone can come across the Resurrection Stone in the forest. Harry will presumably give his invisibility cloak to James or Albus, or Lily for that matter. And the Elder Wand from the book seems to be out of play as well since Harry put it back in Dumbledore's tomb. Only another dark wizard would break in there again. As it happens, Rowling was a producer for the movie. I'm sure she gave the go ahead to snapping the wand. It shows more clearly how Harry is not consumed with power lust.

decarus
July 19th, 2011, 3:24 am
That seems highly unlikely. I suppose someone can come across the Resurrection Stone in the forest. Harry will presumably give his invisibility cloak to James or Albus, or Lily for that matter. And the Elder Wand from the book seems to be out of play as well since Harry put it back in Dumbledore's tomb. Only another dark wizard would break in there again. As it happens, Rowling was a producer for the movie. I'm sure she gave the go ahead to snapping the wand. It shows more clearly how Harry is not consumed with power lust.

I actually think JKR just sort of allows almost anything to go into or out of the film. It does show that Harry has no lust for power, but i don't really think that is necessary in the films. There is no talk of Dumbledore's lust for the hollows and his lust for power is mentioned offhand, but there is no reason to think that has anything to do with the hallows.

I just think i like leaving things more open then that which is also one of many reasons that i don't like JKR commenting on her books.

PS. Though i do think it very unlikely she will write another book you never really know. She doesn't really know what she may do in the future.

SirDobster
July 19th, 2011, 4:22 am
The kiss between Ron and Hermione. It was - uh - different. But nothing at all like the one in the book.

pumpkinpuff
July 19th, 2011, 5:29 am
I like the movie very much, but...

Why were young Lily's eyes brown???

Harry, repair your wand before tossing the Elder wand!

Would've had more impact if Neville's speech concluded with him chopping off Nagini's head there.

Incidentally, a lot of people are saying Fred's death wasn't shown, but it was. Not very extensively, but you see him dying and a death eater by him who apparently had just attacked him when Voldemort's voice is talking to everyone the second time.

hollyandphoenix
July 19th, 2011, 5:32 am
In the book I thought it was really cool how he just died like anyone else because it showed he was completely human once again.

Agree. Completely agree. Hated the confetti.

pumpkinpuff
July 19th, 2011, 5:36 am
Oh, and I didn't like that no one was there to see Voldemort die. I didn't really like how he flaked off either, but the fact that no one else saw it bothered me.

Googlie
July 19th, 2011, 6:20 am
This is only the list of things that bothered me from what I saw in the movie and not a list of things tht I'd have liked to see.

- The length of Neville's speech. I just don't buy that Voldemort and the DEs would just stand there and let him go on like that.

- I can't believe that I'm going to say this, but the last shot of the entire series. It just looked like Harry and Hermione.... and then Ron if you get what I mean. Wish they had given Ron atleast one line in the Epilogue.

- The fact that both Bellatrix and Voldemort kind-of evaporated upon their death. If it had been just one of them, I could have lived with it.

And that's it. :) I pretty much love this final installment and feel it is the fitting finale to a much beloved franchise.

magnolia7
July 19th, 2011, 6:27 am
Not many

Yeah I feel sorry for the whole Harry and Ginny relationship its just ughh :(
Same here no one cheered when Voldemort died!
And when has Hermione been really good at flying??

SiriusBlack101
July 19th, 2011, 7:01 am
Incidentally, a lot of people are saying Fred's death wasn't shown, but it was. Not very extensively, but you see him dying and a death eater by him who apparently had just attacked him when Voldemort's voice is talking to everyone the second time.

It looked like he had just been disarmed to me at that point, though I'm sure the Death Eater finished him off once Voldemort was finished speaking.

magnolia7
July 19th, 2011, 7:11 am
It looked like he had just been disarmed to me at that point, though I'm sure the Death Eater finished him off once Voldemort was finished speaking.

He was dying in that scene? He looked like his head was hurting from Voldemort speech because Hermione and Ron where in pain as well....

meenaxi
July 19th, 2011, 10:32 am
I dont know why everyone is complaining about no dumbledore's backstory after this film. The filmmakers lost the chance to introduce that plot in part 1. in the book as far as harry is concerned the resolution to dumbledore's past happens at the end of part 1 which is when they return to shell cottage when harry decides to trust dumbledore anyway... when they have sacrificed that plot in part 1 so as to focus more on locket horcrux (which was basically what part 1 focused most on.. the dynamics of trio and a chance for ron/hermione to shine ) then its pointless to include that plot in aberforth scene or king's cross.. because in movies harry is not angry like in the book... the fault lies in part 1 not part 2.

WLPage
July 19th, 2011, 1:49 pm
I think they (the producer and director) messed the whole thing (part 2) up by not staying truer to the book.

This was a movie I waited to see for 4 years and they just seemed to "run out of steam" and provide a last movie that says "Oh well, this is the last movie and I know it will make alot of money... but I'm not going to try". The effects were good but the story line was thinly portrayed. In fact, the later scene with Hagrid and Harry showed no emotion from a character that has been Harry's large "protector" and confidant for 4 years (Harry time)!!

For instance... in the last scene, they did not provide any details on what has transpired for 19 years. I know it is cheezy but a "Harry went on to become...", a scene of the school being rebuilt in the backgraound, or such would have been a nice closer to 10 years of movies.

AnotherD
July 19th, 2011, 1:56 pm
He was dying in that scene? He looked like his head was hurting from Voldemort speech because Hermione and Ron where in pain as well....

I didn't think he was dying in that scene, and to be honest I don't know if we're sure which twin that even is! If Voldemort was ordering his followers to retreat, do you think they'd continue killing people on their way out?

magnolia7
July 19th, 2011, 2:02 pm
I didn't think he was dying in that scene, and to be honest I don't know if we're sure which twin that even is! If Voldemort was ordering his followers to retreat, do you think they'd continue killing people on their way out?

It was Fred, but it doesn't show him dying it just shows him getting disarm and being in pain because of Voldemort speech.....I think

WLPage
July 19th, 2011, 2:22 pm
I think Voldy "allowed" it because he thought it would be a concession speech and not a rally cry.

This is only the list of things that bothered me from what I saw in the movie and not a list of things tht I'd have liked to see.

- The length of Neville's speech. I just don't buy that Voldemort and the DEs would just stand there and let him go on like that.

- I can't believe that I'm going to say this, but the last shot of the entire series. It just looked like Harry and Hermione.... and then Ron if you get what I mean. Wish they had given Ron atleast one line in the Epilogue.

- The fact that both Bellatrix and Voldemort kind-of evaporated upon their death. If it had been just one of them, I could have lived with it.

And that's it. :) I pretty much love this final installment and feel it is the fitting finale to a much beloved franchise.

I think Voldy "allowed" it because he thought it would be a concession speech and not a rally cry.

Dobson
July 19th, 2011, 4:04 pm
It was Fred, but it doesn't show him dying it just shows him getting disarm and being in pain because of Voldemort speech.....I think

I think that's as close as we could get to his death being on screen. He looked like he was in more pain than most people were when Voldy's speech was going on. Either way, I took it to mean he was dying and I got seriously sad. Plus, there was a DE in front of him.

I thought the Harry/Hermione hug was good, and I like that you could see Hermione crying, but they really left Ron out? The glance that him and Harry exchanged wasn't powerful enough. Now, this may just be because Ron couldn't take much more sadness after Fred's death, but mate, you're best friend is gonna go die now. And I don't really get the "I'll go with you..." :hmm: What was she looking for there? What would have been more powerful is if he had been wearing the Cloak (which the film makers tend to never use, only when it is absolutely necessary) and he had passed them on the steps and they thought they thought they heard something. Kind of like Ginny in the book. I actually think that would have been more sad.

AnotherD
July 19th, 2011, 4:26 pm
I think that's as close as we could get to his death being on screen. He looked like he was in more pain than most people were when Voldy's speech was going on. Either way, I took it to mean he was dying and I got seriously sad. Plus, there was a DE in front of him.

But I thought you could see him grasping for his wand during that Voldemort speech. :hmm:

Crookshanks800
July 19th, 2011, 5:07 pm
Soooo disappointed in the final battle between Harry and Voldemort! I had to go home and re-read "The Flaw In The Plan" chapter to obliviate the memory of what they did to it in the film!

HMN
July 19th, 2011, 6:59 pm
And could there be a more cinema friendly scene than Neville, the sorting hat and Nagini? The way Ron and Hermione hunt him now seemed totally unnecessary and pointless.
It dawned on me today - how did the Sorting Hat end up in the rubble when Dumbledore's office was pristine and undamaged? I know they needed the hat, and it's a small thing to notice, but still.

Hysteria
July 19th, 2011, 7:13 pm
I agree with those who have commented on the aftermath of Voldemort's death. I mean, we see Harry walk into the Great Hall and people are all just sitting around having tea. What about all the dead children around the place? The fact that Harry died, came back to life, and defeated the most evil wizard of all time? I dunno, seemed fairly anti-climactic to me.

Other things that bugged me:
- 19 years later. I'm sorry but IMO the cast looked ridiculous and the entire theatre cracked up laughing. They didn't look like people in their late 30s, they looked like 20-somethings with lots of makeup on.
- I didn't really care about the deaths like Tonks, Lupin, or Fred. We didn't see them fight and then we saw them dead for a few seconds. I keep reading interviews with the Phelps twins when they talk about how emotional that scene was for them, and then we only see George for a few seconds... bit disappointing.

decarus
July 19th, 2011, 7:53 pm
I just want you to know that people in there 30s don't really look all that old. I thought it was good. I think Harry's voice being weird was the worst part of the scene.

Myrmedus
July 19th, 2011, 8:00 pm
Though there were several deviations from the book, such that they would leave the non-reading movie-goer scratching their head in confusion, I was bothered most by the final confrontation.

Since the beginning, Voldy has touted his superiority over Harry. He's always believed he was above to the rest of the wizarding class, deserving of the title "Lord", and clever in his plans to secretly protect his immortality.

For me, the most satisfying aspect of the book's conclusion is the moments in the end where Voldy realized he was wrong, that he'd been bested, that he wasn't as clever as he'd thought, small and pitiable, and that a teenager he perceived as ordinary has outmaneuvered him. I believe this was more devastating than his physical death (though it's obvious he feared his own death greatly, much more than Harry). Furthermore, coming to this realization before all of his enemies added to the deflation.

Unfortunately, in the movie, Voldy only seems confused at what's happening, ignorant of why he's failed, just before he turns into confetti. We didn't see him put in his place, just done away with. That left me unsatisfied and disappointed.

I don't think it was the actual confrontation that was the issue...it was just that some of the exposition needed to be added aswell. I think the most important part of that speech at the end is when Harry gives Voldemort the chance to redeem himself and he doesn't take it.

AnotherD
July 19th, 2011, 8:03 pm
I just want you to know that people in there 30s don't really look all that old. I thought it was good. I think Harry's voice being weird was the worst part of the scene.

agreed! I'm in my late 30s and I look like I did when I was 20, save for a few wrinkles and some gray hair. Typically, your looks don't change all that drastically unless you've lived hard. I thought their aging was appropriate.

AtlasShrugged
July 19th, 2011, 8:36 pm
I already mentioned this in another post earlier but I think it's kind of sad that there was more of a celebration in the Chamber of Secrets film at the end when Hagrid came back from Azkaban than the end of DH2 when Harry defeats the darkest, most evil wizard of all time.

Dobson
July 19th, 2011, 8:55 pm
I already mentioned this in another post earlier but I think it's kind of sad that there was more of a celebration in the Chamber of Secrets film at the end when Hagrid came back from Azkaban than the end of DH2 when Harry defeats the darkest, most evil wizard of all time.

Ooh, good catch. That would be a big mistake on the film maker's part.

WLPage
July 19th, 2011, 9:06 pm
But I thought you could see him grasping for his wand during that Voldemort speech. :hmm:

I thought he looked either "blinded" (and could not find his wand) or "desperate" to find his wand and regain his defense.

Slartibartfast
July 19th, 2011, 9:11 pm
Did one of the Patil twins die? I know we got that shot of Lavendar getting snacked on, but I remember in the Great Hall either Padma or Parvati was with Trelawney covering up a curiously unseen body. Some might say it was just Lavendar..but idk. Thoughts?
I dont think Padma was shown. Anyway that bit with Trelawney and Parvati, that was Lavender they were covering up and Parvati was crying. Lavender was her best friend. I do think we do see a glimpse of blondish hair when they cover the body.

I know right? Im 30 and i can still pass for 18 if i dyed my hair. ;) So really they looked fine...Hermione looked more or less the same though. But again it didnt bother me much. Draco bothered me a little because he looked rather silly. Chin fuzz? Yeah not a fan. I did like how the back of Scorpius's head looked very much like Draco's from way back in the day. I thought Harry looked the best to be honest.

pesky_pixie
July 19th, 2011, 9:42 pm
I think the most important part of that speech at the end is when Harry gives Voldemort the chance to redeem himself and he doesn't take it.

Exactly, exactly, exactly, Myrmedus!!!
It's the key to the whole thing.
Harry tells Voldy he can still make it through this, despite all the things he's done, if only he'd just have remorse for it all.

The kids were told this a couple times when discussing the horcruxes.
It's the message JKR wanted to send out.

You can still make it to heaven if you atone for your sins.
Show remorse and you will be saved.

I can't believe they cut that out of the film.

ajna
July 19th, 2011, 9:43 pm
It's true, people in their 30's look a lot like people in their mid twenties.

I think the girl who played Padma wasn't in the movie. Because of her personal problems. (?)

Harry's voice? What was weird about his voice?

I like the movie very much, but...

Why were young Lily's eyes brown???

Harry, repair your wand before tossing the Elder wand!

Would've had more impact if Neville's speech concluded with him chopping off Nagini's head there.

I see Fred being disarmed. Then the DE stops to listen to Voledomort and the scene changes.

SBNB
July 19th, 2011, 9:56 pm
Soooo disappointed in the final battle between Harry and Voldemort! I had to go home and re-read "The Flaw In The Plan" chapter to obliviate the memory of what they did to it in the film!
I was very disappointed as well. The whole ending was anticlimactic and not fitting for the ending of such an epic story.

Other things that bothered me:
-not seeing Fred's death
-Harry's eyes looked blue towards the end (aren't they supposed to be green?)
-the whole snake killing fiasco; Neville didn't really seem very heroic
-Gringotts was rushed
-the way the imperius curse was portrayed
-how little we saw of anyone except Harry or Voldemort
-the portrayal of Dumbledore at King's Cross (he was too distant and not friendly)
-Molly's battle with Bellatrix was not well done, almost like an afterthought

ajna
July 19th, 2011, 10:02 pm
I was very disappointed as well. The whole ending was anticlimactic and not fitting for the ending of such an epic story.

Other things that bothered me:
-not seeing Fred's death
-Harry's eyes looked blue towards the end (aren't they supposed to be green?)
-the whole snake killing fiasco; Neville didn't really seem very heroic
-Gringotts was rushed
-the way the imperius curse was portrayed
-how little we saw of anyone except Harry or Voldemort
-the portrayal of Dumbledore at King's Cross (he was too distant and not friendly)
-Molly's battle with Bellatrix was not well done, almost like an afterthought

Dan's eyes have never been Harry's green in any of the films. Personally, I thought Gambon's Dumbledore was the friendliest we've seen him since PoA. Gringotts plays out better with a second viewing. I have to agree with others that it's funny they didn't give young Lily blue eyes.

July 19th, 2011, 10:51 pm
My main problem was just the part where Voldemort and Harry 'jump/fall' off the cliff and then we get that shot of them erm...'flying?' around the castle (which I was fine with) it was just the merging of faces and screams that made it a bit awkward I think, I was a bit confused as to what that added.
And not enough reaction after the battle, it just ended and that was that as though it never happened.

LilyDreamsOn
July 19th, 2011, 11:13 pm
The Prince's Tale disappointed me in so many ways. First of all: they could have easily coloured Ellie's eyes to match Daniel's blue eyes. It was a bit silly to hear Snape say "you have your mother's eyes" and then 20 seconds later see her with bright brown eyes. Second, they didn't really put any effort into making young James look anything like James or Harry... really couldn't have been that hard to find a dark-haired kid and give him glasses. It just felt lazy to me.

What was really disappointing was how much they cut out. They didn't show Lily and Snape's friendship collapsing. They didn't show anything to indicate that Snape was on a dark path. It just romanticized Snape's story and ignored the depth of the tragedy there. Some non-book fans actually left the theatre thinking Snape was Harry's father all along, which just shows how misleading the movie was at that point.

And I'm still miffed about how they did the Forest Again. It's as if Harry's dad meant nothing to him, he was just in the background (at least he got his line back). And not only that, but giving Lily the line "always"? That scene had nothing to do with Snape. It was about Harry's sacrifice, about his courage in facing death. I felt that line cheapened the whole thing just to give a nod to Snape/Lily fans.

I had really high expectations for those two chapters, and the film just didn't live up at all. :/

pumpkinpuff
July 19th, 2011, 11:30 pm

It looked to me like he was clearly in agony from an attack, not from hearing Voldemort, because of his position. He looked like he'd just been attacked and was reeling from it, with pain on his face and he wasn't holding his head. It looked like his death scene to me. I could be wrong, but I really noticed it after three viewings!