The Noble and Most Ancient House of. . . Potter?

Pages : [1] 2

jimmifer
June 13th, 2003, 2:43 pm
Hi
I was just wondering if anyone had any theories of what happened to James' and Lily's parents and brothers and sisters, aunts etc - y did harry have to go to the dursleys and y arent anymore of his family alive? what happened to them all? :banghead: discuss :)

Bertie Botts
June 13th, 2003, 2:46 pm
WEll seeing as they never say Anut petunias parents came to visit.. Im guessing that lilys parents died before harry was born, for there was no pictures of ahrry with them, and Im guessing james had no brothers or sisters and I'm guessing his parents passed away as well. maybe lord Voldermon came after there family and got rid of them.. but i think thats a really good question.

tabby
June 13th, 2003, 2:53 pm
It could be any number of things.

A lot of single children on both sides of the family, or a lot of deaths. Harry probably does have some very distant relatives alive, but they're so distant they might as well not exist.

heRmOInE_erm
June 13th, 2003, 3:36 pm
yea????? i personally think that harry's other relatives are in the wiz. world......

jimmifer
June 13th, 2003, 3:48 pm
Ooooh all good points ... but maybe the surprise coming from the dursleys is that they have information of more of harrys living relatives, but with them not liking harry being magical, they might have thought it was best for them to "look after" him so they could stamp the magic out of him (possibly for his own good cos then voldemort might not want to kill him?)
thats another point - do u think voldemort would still want to kill harry if he was non-magical??

rubeus
June 13th, 2003, 3:58 pm
I would not be suprised if his other relatives were important and someone we dont expect and may be revealed later on. I think the Dursleys may have more information but maybe it is better that Harry doesnt know. Also DD said that the dursleys were his only relatives left, so they are either dead or unable to care for him (DE? maybe even Voldemort?) so it is possible he has living relatives.

caroline40
June 13th, 2003, 4:04 pm
Maybe they have gone in to hiding following Lily and James death ,for whatever reason

jimmifer
June 13th, 2003, 4:13 pm
Yeah, i think it would be really interesting if someone spoke to JK rowling about it.
If you remember, she said at one point that the weasleys were going to have a cousin in the series, but she put rita skeeter in instead or something :)
so maybe shes done the same - maybe she planned to put someone in from the beginning but then they'll come in later on in the series.
Nobody even asked where Nevilles parents were - but theyre in St Mungos and unable to care for him!
maybe something happened to harrys grandparents and other relatives?

I heart Sirius
June 13th, 2003, 4:29 pm
Oooh!! JKR said in an interview that very interesting things happened to them, I remember reading that! And that we'll find out...so hopefully we'll find out w/ this book...only one more week!!!

Nickel
June 13th, 2003, 5:29 pm
After years of living with the Dursley's Harry doesn't ask questions. I'm hoping that in book 5 Harry starts asking Dumbledore, Sirius, or Hagrid, or anyone who would know the answer, questions about his past.

Not much longer to wait now.........

Llopin
June 13th, 2003, 6:09 pm
I'm sure Harry has relatives, only that they haven't showed up yet. Probably in the next books we'll get to know more about Harry's family, I doubt Harry isn't interested in knowing about his own relatives, or at least I'd like to learn more about his family. Maybe many of these relatives aren't alive, but Harry can find out who they were.

dorcasderr
June 13th, 2003, 6:19 pm
So, do we think that this is what Dumbledore will be telling Harry in Book 5? If thare are other relatives alive, then it means that Dumbledore didn't tell him the truth, that NO ONE in four years has said anything about them to Harry (unlikely), and that Hary has had to live with the Dursleys his whole life, when there was another option. So, unless any remaining relatives are in hiding and presumed dead by all, perhaps even Dumbledore, I doubt that any ARE alive.

Filius Flitwick
June 13th, 2003, 6:29 pm
If any of his relatives are alive then they better have a good excuse for where they've been the last 15 years. Sirius at least had the excuse that he was in Azkaban for a crime he didn't commit. And then there's Dumbledore saying that the Dursley's were the only family Harry had left(as it has been pointed out already in this thread). Why would he feel the need to lie to McGonnagal and Hagrid?

FirefightingMuggle
June 13th, 2003, 6:56 pm
Maybe, at least one of Harry's relatives is, or is married to a Hogwart's professor. He probably wouldn't have been allowed to live with them before he found out he was a wizard, because DD wanted him to grow up away from the Wizarding World, so the fame wouldn't go to his head. Maybe he's not allowed to be with them now because he is a Hogwart's student, and access to the Professors' home lives and families is something that the Hogwart's students seem to not be allowed access to.

Just a thought....

Filius Flitwick
June 13th, 2003, 6:58 pm
Then Dumbledore still lied to McGonnagal and Hagrid...he said that the Dursley's were the only family he had left.

Pucko
June 13th, 2003, 7:01 pm
that's a good question...
he probbaly didn't have too many relatives to begin with, and then since voldie was after the potters, maybe that included all the potters? and evans? hopefully we will find out... in ONE WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nurika
June 13th, 2003, 7:13 pm
I doubt Harry has other relatives.

Probably all of them on his father's side were murdered by Lord Voldemort, just as he was. And on Lily's side...they could be dead as well.

If he does have relatives, I think it might be possible Dumbledore has been hiding them from Harry. He does say this in book 5: (confirmed in the facts on Mugglenet)

"Dumbledore lowered his hands and surveyed Harry through his half-moon glasses.'It is time,' he said 'for me to tell you what I should have told you five years ago, Harry. Please sit down. I am going to tell you everything."

(If that is considered a spoiler please let me know. Thanks.)

~*Nurika

Fidelius
June 13th, 2003, 7:49 pm
I really don't think Harry has anymore relatives.
Dumbledore said the Dursleys were Harry's only family.

Lily's parents must have passed away before he was born otherwise he would have met them through Petunia (and they would have been a better choice for him to live with, as they approved of the magic world).

I always assumed James was an only child like Harry, hence his inheriting the Potter fortune.

Kes
June 13th, 2003, 8:05 pm
Well, I think we will all be disapointed when Dumbledore is eather A)Interupted or B)its the last sentance. (Thats what I think will happen)

But I think that Harry doesn't have any more living relitives, the mirior of Erisid just made them up for him so that he could think that he had more relitives then he did.

Though there may be a really distant relitive hanging around (THATS NOT DUMBLEDORE!!! once again, just my opinion)

Hayley
June 13th, 2003, 8:05 pm
i think Dumbledore is lying.i think he put harry with the dursley's cos if voldemort came bk looking fo him that would be the last place he would look and by then dumbledore would of got him.bet there is someone near by who is watching and waiting to keep him save.like mrs figg or someone like that.
who knows what goes on in that head of J.K.R!

Lestrange
June 13th, 2003, 8:07 pm
I don't think that Harry has any other family. If Sirius, I think referred to Harry as the last Potter (in Book 3) that means that all of James' family is dead, and since Petunia wouldn't want to visit her parents because of her jealousy towards Lily, they could have either: never met them, or they could have died before Harry was born, as mentioned before.

Nickel
June 13th, 2003, 8:23 pm
For some reason I remember Dumbledore saying that, this is all the family he has left now.

I was interested in why he said now. Of course the common assumption is that because Lily and James were killed. But, what if there was family who just wasn't able to take care of him at that time. Let's say Lily and Petunia had another sister who was too young to take care of him at that time, underage. So, the Dursley's were all the family he had left to care for him at that point.

Sorry for the rambling.

Goldie
June 14th, 2003, 1:51 am
I have this hunch that Harry's grandparents, great-grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins may have been caught up in DD's defeat of that German wizard in 1945. (Sorry, I don't have the books in front of me, and can't be sure of his name - Gruendewald, wasn't it?)

The timing is about right for that to have happened. It would have made whatever was left of the family much smaller, leaving no one able to take Harry in.

Ecthelion
June 14th, 2003, 2:04 am
This is an interesting question. I would suggest we narrow it down in order to answer it.

For one, his parents are obviously dead so they are out of the picture.

His mom's side:
Sister= Petunia, the one he's staying at. As of now, we know no other siblings.
Harry's Grandma and grandpa=well, we'll have to assume that they were dead and never got to meet them.
Uncle(s): Only Vernon, sadly.

His Dad's Side:
To that we know absolutely nothing.

Anyways, narrowing it down didn't work! I guess it is back to the stand-by assumptions and speculations! :). In which in that case I suppose that James was an only child and both of Harry's grandparents died before he could meet them. (though that really wouldn't make sense if they died of natural causes...wizards are supposed to live longer than muggles..) So once again I suppose we'll just have to wait potentially seven more days so we can find out!

shawntat
June 14th, 2003, 2:20 am
I wonder if he could have some distant relatives but no immediate ones other than the Dursley's?

jimmifer
June 14th, 2003, 11:23 am
Originally posted by Ecthelion (original post (http://www.cosforums.com/a/showthread.php?postid=371152#post371152))
In which in that case I suppose that James was an only child and both of Harry's grandparents died before he could meet them. (though that really wouldn't make sense if they died of natural causes...wizards are supposed to live longer than muggles..) So once again I suppose we'll just have to wait potentially seven more days so we can find out!

Now, you see, Ecthelion came up with a point I hadnt even considered - wizards usually live longer than muggles - so although Lily's parents (she was born to muggles, as we know) are probably dead from natural causes, it would be interesting to find out what happened to James's - I think this is where the most secrets lie. Harry has inherited a lot of money - and his dad wasnt that old when Harry died (I remember it being around 22/23 or something like that) so he'd only have been away from hogwarts for around 4 years. So presumingly, the money has come from James Potters parents - who possibly had their long-wizarding-life-spans cut short evilly, possibly when James was still at school - but what happened to them? :wow:

hootch
June 14th, 2003, 5:04 pm
There sure were a bunch of relatives in the Mirror of Erisid. But we assume they are all dead, because of Dumbledore's remarks. Maybe we'll know more about this topic in about a week?

jimmifer
June 14th, 2003, 5:21 pm
HOPE SOOO!!!
I know someone said they thought the book was gonna end at the bit where dumbledore lowers his hands and says "Harry, I'm going to tell you everything" blah blah - but I dont think it will.
My main reasoning for this is that up until now, the books have ended when Harry gets off the hogwarts express into the welcoming arms of vernon dursley (haha yeh right!)
I cant see it bein that different this time :)

Nickel
June 14th, 2003, 5:33 pm
jimmifer, since you don't find the Dursley's a very good and compasionate family, you should come and help me with some support in this thread:

http://www.cosforums.com/a/showthread.php?threadid=9229

dorcasderr
June 14th, 2003, 5:45 pm
Actually, wizards living longer than Muggles does suggest foul play or some sort of unnatural deaths for James Potter's parents, but the Evanses were not necessarily that old either. People live well into their sevwenties and eighties nowadays...I wonder if some of these Muggle killings we have heard about, which happened when Voldemort was in full power, may have included Lily and Petunia's parents. It would be another reason for Petunia to resent "Lily's sort of people."

jimmifer
June 14th, 2003, 5:59 pm
That's very true - it seems very odd that Petunia, who obviously thought so much of her parents (else why would she be so jealous of lily and all the attention she got?) and she never speaks of them.
Maybe theres more reasons for her resentment.
After all, we're told that Voldemort didnt have to kill Lily - just James and Harry, so maybe Petunia thinks that her sister (and parents?) would still be here if it werent for the fact that lily had married james and given birth to harry.
I have a sister myself, and despite the fact we argue loads, we still love each other and i cant imagine even someone like petunia not loving her own sister!

Ecthelion
June 16th, 2003, 12:10 am
While rereading the first book I had a sudden thought, but first read the part which I got it out of:

for he had seen not only himself in the mirror, but a whole crowd fo people standing right behind him. But the room was empty. Breathing very fast, he turned slowly back to the mirror. There he was, relfected in it, white and scared-looking, and there, reflected behind him, were at least ten others. Harry looked over his shoulder, but still, no one was there. Or were they all invisible, too?...........Harry was so close to the mirror now that his nose was nearly tougching that of his reflection..........And slowly, Harry looked intot he faces of the other people in the mirro, and saw other pairs of green eyes like his, other noses like his, even a little old man who looked as though he had Harry's knobbly kneew---Harry was looking at his family, for the first time in his life.

Alright, looking at his family. Now judging by his description of all those ten people.....Where was aunt petunia? Being Lily's sister, she would have naturally been located in the mirror. But she wasn't. Harry would have recognized her right away. Why though?????:??:

Moonstone
June 16th, 2003, 12:13 am
Alright, looking at his family. Now judging by his description of all those ten people.....Where was aunt petunia? Being Lily's sister, she would have naturally been located in the mirror. But she wasn't.

Harry's deepest desire (family) did not include Petunia. Who could blame him?

Ecthelion
June 16th, 2003, 12:17 am
Yes, I thought of that, and it is another logical explanation, but she is family isn't she? Even though Harry "hates" Aunt Petunia, she is still family isn't she? Although, now that you say that I do remember that the Mirror of the Erised doesn't necissarily tell the truth.....

rotsiepots
June 16th, 2003, 12:18 am
Originally posted by Ecthelion (original post (http://www.cosforums.com/a/showthread.php?postid=375050#post375050))
Alright, looking at his family. Now judging by his description of all those ten people.....Where was aunt petunia? Being Lily's sister, she would have naturally been located in the mirror. But she wasn't. Harry would have recognized her right away. Why though?????:??:

I think we can safely assume that the people in the mirror were the Potters, aka Harry's real family. Harry wants to be accepted for who (or what) he is, so I doubt it's his most desperate desire to see Aunt Petunia and Dudley in the Mirror scowling and frowning on his magical ways.

Muse
June 16th, 2003, 12:24 am
Ooh, Ecthelion, I'm so glad you brought up that part of Book 1. Slightly O/T, but I was just re-reading that part yesterday, and man--it never fails to bring so much emotion whenever I read it. It's just so heart-wrenching reading how much Harry longs for his family and seeing him press himself against the mirror to get closer. *sigh*. Poor Harry.

Anyway, I imagine there's no one left from Lily's side of the family, with the exception of the Dursleys, and since we know nothing about James' side, whose to say there are some distant, equally unlikeable relatives, that chose to distance themselves or stay unidentified (for some Voldemort-related purpose later to be revealed) from Harry?

Dormitorius Draco
June 16th, 2003, 12:35 am
Hm...I'm wondering, when DD mentioned that the Dursley are Harry's only relatives, could he mean that they are the only 'muggle' relatives that he have, and whether Harry have to stay there because he can't get in harms way if he's in the muggle world which would make him less easy to track down, after all most wizards knew absolutely nothing about the muggle world judging by the Quidditch World Cup and have keep themselves quite separated so that why it has to be the Dursley?

rotsiepots
June 16th, 2003, 12:40 am
Originally posted by Dormitorius Draco (original post (http://www.cosforums.com/a/showthread.php?postid=375073#post375073))
Hm...I'm wondering, when DD mentioned that the Dursley are Harry's only relatives, could he mean that they are the only 'muggle' relatives that he have, and whether Harry have to stay there because he can't get in harms way if he's in the muggle world which would make him less easy to track down, after all most wizards knew absolutely nothing about the muggle world judging by the Quidditch World Cup and have keep themselves quite separated so that why it has to be the Dursley?

Chapter One, PS, The Boy Who Lived:

"I've come to bring Harry to his aunt and uncle. They're the only family he has left now."

I think it's fairly clear, by this statement, that all the Potters are dead and the Dursleys are, regrettably, the only family Harry has left, muggle or magic.

Fidelius
June 16th, 2003, 12:29 pm
Originally posted by rotsiepots (original post (http://www.cosforums.com/a/showthread.php?postid=375059#post375059))
I think we can safely assume that the people in the mirror were the Potters, aka Harry's real family. Harry wants to be accepted for who (or what) he is, so I doubt it's his most desperate desire to see Aunt Petunia and Dudley in the Mirror scowling and frowning on his magical ways.

I don't think it is just the Potters though. Remember he saw people with green eyes just like his, and he got his green eyes from his mother. I hope we find out what happened to both the Potter's and the Evan's in the next book.

crypticgirl
June 16th, 2003, 6:02 pm
Okay. I have a theory, but it's nuttier than peanut butter, and if I'm admitting that, then who knows what you'll think?? This is longish - sorry.

When Dumbledore says that Harry has 'no other family now', he could mean that he has no other family as of arriving at the Dursley's house, NOT as of his parent's death - so he may have wizarding family, but for his own safety (as Dormitorius Draco mentions) he can't be associated with them.

So what family could Harry have left? We don't know anything about Harry's grandparents - and I have a hunch that at least one grandparent is alive.... namely, Mervina McGonagall (sp?). Why did she spend *all day* lurking outside the Durselys, wondering what kind of people Harry was going to? She doesn't even need to be in that scene, from a writer's perspective - it could easily just be Hagrid and DD talking.

She also has green eyes, as you see in the movie. Oh, and Petunia has dark hair like her (as does Myrtle, if you want another of my pet theories...).

But this would obviously mean that, since McGonagall is so strongly tied to Gryffindor, Lily would be the more likely heir of Gryffindor - everyone's just been assuming it was James. Let me put it this way: who would you want to kill more - the male heirs of competing Gryffindor (Harry and James), or two fellow heirs of Slytherin; a father (James) who had CHOSEN to go to Gryffindor, MARRY the heir of Gryffindor, and bind his son (Harry) uniquely to both houses??

I told you it was nutty. :)

It gets worse, too. This is the "Days of Our Lives" bit, and the part I have trouble really convincing myself of, even. I just like the idea so much I can't bear to part with it.

IF the above theory holds out, we have a couple of possibilities about Lily's father. Evans could be a Muggle name, and Lily could be a half-mudblood. Or, Evans could be a name given to Lily and her sibling/s to protect say, two teachers at Hogwarts who had children together? Maybe Dumbledore is Harry's grandfather? The age gap between McGonagall and DD makes that iffy, but it's always seemed a little too obvious to me that Lily would've gotten her red hair from some kind of connection to the Weasley family. And we don't know what colour DD's hair originally was, do we?

Go ahead, pick it apart - that's why I'm posting it here in the first place. I'd love any positive or negative feedback on these ideas!

Weatherby
June 16th, 2003, 6:09 pm
I think 'no other family now' could imply that in SS Harry had no living relatives other than Petunia and Dudley.
He can of course have children at a later date and create a new family. :)
He also has his 'family' he created of friends.

I don't think McGonagall is related to Harry. She was waiting for Dumbledore and knew he'd be there. That's why she was there. She wanted to hear confirmation from him.
Now maybe he is related to Dumbledore. I don't want to turn this into a Gryffindor-related discussion but there's rumours floating about that either one is related. There would be more reason to disguise their relationship while there isn't for McGonagal.
Hopefully there are more relatives of James around somewhere. Even orphaned Jane Eyre had an uncle later on after being unwanted for so long.
But as for Lily's relatives I really do believe Petunia is it. :)

dorcasderr
June 16th, 2003, 6:24 pm
Originally posted by rotsiepots (original post)
I think we can safely assume that the people in the mirror were the Potters"
Then, Fidelius posted:
I don't think it is just the Potters though. Remember he saw people with green eyes just like his, and he got his green eyes from his mother."
First he book says the family is the Potters, but I have been wondering whether the green-eyed people are Evanses, just like Fidelius does. Since Harry has been told that the Dursleys are his only living relatives, could the family in the Mirror of Erised be only his dead family, regardless of whether there may be any living ones left as some have postulated?

jimmifer
June 16th, 2003, 6:50 pm
I thought exactly the same as dorcasderr - the whole green eyes thing.
I was thinking the other day, and theres definitely something in those eyes. Its strange that theyve been passed down SO many generations (by the looks of things) - ive been working on the whole genetics thing in biology revision for my exams and the allele for brown eyes is dominant over - well basically every other eye colour. It takes a helluva lot of chance for harry to get those eyes from the way i see it! I think theres definitely something to do with his eyes that makes him such a good wizard. If you think back to philosophers/sorcerors stone and hermiones comment to hagrid during the quidditch match "I know a spell when i see one - you have to keep eye contact. And Snapes eyes WERENT moving"
theres a lot going on with eyes in the books - could turn out to be a major focus

Jorrn
June 16th, 2003, 8:50 pm
I know the Dursleys are Harry's only family now. But could some of Harry's wizarding family (Potters) have gone the way of Neville Longbottoms and be at St. Mungos?

dorcasderr
June 16th, 2003, 9:55 pm
It's certainly a possibility. And since we don't know the maiden name of Harry's paternal grandmother we can't identify whether he might even be cousinated to one of the characters we already know.

pasalita
June 28th, 2003, 5:30 pm
*bump*

Canes95
July 14th, 2003, 1:00 pm
Is Harry the last of the Potters?
Since Wizzards live a long life shouldn't there be other members of the Potter family around?

Leah_Jones
July 14th, 2003, 1:09 pm
yea, i was wondering about that the other day. Shouldn't there be his grandparents, or at least Lily's muggle relatives(other than Petunia)??

Mander
July 14th, 2003, 1:10 pm
i dunno, i haven;t thought much about it except for harry's parents and of coarse his grandparents. Sirius mentioned Jame;s parents taking him in when he ran away...i remember him mentioning it in ootp. I really don't know tho.:(

a1waysthedreamer
July 14th, 2003, 1:38 pm
hey Mander, i really like the picture in your signature =)
how did you do it?

JenJen
July 14th, 2003, 1:47 pm
I'm pretty sure Harry is the last of the Potters...Dumbledore said that his aunt was his only living blood relative.

Muthagal
July 14th, 2003, 1:52 pm
As a literary device, it's necessary that all Harry's close relatives are dead. Hasn't JKR said her original thought for the series was "boy who doesn't know he's a wizard heads off to wizard school." So, he grew up in the terrible (but so interesting to read about) home of the Dursleys. I hope we will learn in future books what happened to the grandparents. We can assume that Lily & Petunia's parents were muggles but it sounds like James' parents were wizards. At least he inherited lots of wizard gold through his father, we think. But Potter is such a muggle name, I wonder how far back it goes. I don't think all his relatives are dead...I'm holding out that Mark Evans will show up at Hogwarts next year!

So, the fact that none of his family seems to be alive may not make much sense but it just has to be that way to have the story go as she envisioned it.

Veneficus
July 14th, 2003, 1:59 pm
When Harry looked into the Mirror of Erised (SS) he saw more people in the mirror than just his parents. Ron of course saw hemself.

Lestrange
July 14th, 2003, 2:00 pm
I always assumed they had all died, because they were all mentioned to in the Mirror of Erised, but I'm not sure if the mirror was accurate in the first place...

Someone made this really great point in the "Snape favors a Boy Who Parallels James" thread that James seemed to have really hated to Dark Arts, so it might be that some of his family were victims to Voldemort or a Death Eater.

This also might have something to do with Lily and James "thrice defeating Lord Voldemort". Maybe James's parents (or other family) died in one of the three attacks?

Dormitorius Draco
July 14th, 2003, 2:05 pm
They might be alive, because technically speaking, Harry only has to be with the Dursley because of the proctection of his mom that include ppl in her bloodline so I think when DD said they're the only family he got left he meant the Evans, those are the only ppl he can stay with to be safe, so good question, I think there has to be atleast one Potter out there unless their family tree is extrememely small, for instance, each member of the family only has one kid or something but still, there has to be atleast one out there they can't just all be wiped out. Voldemort was after Harry only, not his family line and his parent only died because they were protecting them.

Ellen
July 14th, 2003, 2:29 pm
Perhaps the family has leaned towards daughters and Harry has this huge number of cousins and aunts he's never met with different last names.

Or perhaps he has met them and didn't realize they were cousins. And they're all in Slytherin (his father's sisters married men with names like Crabbe, Goyle, Nott, and Parkinson).

PhoenixFeather
July 14th, 2003, 2:37 pm
What I'm curious about is why he never asked Sirius about his (Harry's) family, especially after Sirius telling Harry all about the Blacks.

pegoheart144
July 14th, 2003, 2:52 pm
Originally posted by JenJen (original post (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?postid=453482#post453482))
I'm pretty sure Harry is the last of the Potters...Dumbledore said that his aunt was his only living blood relative.
If there were other realitives there would be no need for Harry to stay with the Dursleys. The elaborate protections would not be necessary also.

magicsocks
July 14th, 2003, 3:01 pm
technically, since Lilly put the initial protection charm on Harry, Dumbledore had to use one of Lilly's blood relatives to do the rest. So Harry could only stay with Lilly's blood relatives. This leaves room for plenty of surviving Potters.

Since Lucius is only 41 at the end of book 5, James and Lilly would probably still be in their thirties. This means Harry could have grandparents, great-grandparents, and great-great grandparents(given wizard lifespans). Plus a number of great-aunts and uncles, second cousins, and what not.

PhoenixFeather
July 14th, 2003, 3:02 pm
It seems to me he would still need them, other than that he could just live with the Weasleys, they're wizards. I think the only way he's truly safe is under the protection his mother left to him, which would mean he wouldn't truly be safe with any member of the Potter family.

pegoheart144
July 14th, 2003, 4:21 pm
If there were any surviving Potter relatives, why not tell Harry? I think he would have been told if he had other relatives. Besides in SS Dumbledore says that the Dursleys are the only family he has left. :'(

Magi
July 14th, 2003, 8:22 pm
Unless his immediate relatives were assassinated by DE.

Or was James Potter muggle-born?

FredRocksMySocks
July 14th, 2003, 8:34 pm
no, we know james potter was pureblood.

Ms.Sirius
July 14th, 2003, 8:54 pm
I was thinking about that the other day. I know that Petunia is a relative , but what about on his fathers side?? Where have all the Potters gone. You would think he would have at least a greatuncle or something like that. What happened to his grandparents? I guess they didn't have any important role in the story so, JK didn't invent them.
:angel:

Oddfellow
July 14th, 2003, 9:04 pm
I think we can expect answers. One reason for leaving this type of information away from Harry is the same that Dumbledore kept all the other stuff from Harry.
Lets take some guesses shall we:
(1) James is from a pureblood family. Maybe most or all of his relative became death eaters like Sirius's family did. Some may still be alive and trying to kill Harry. Most probably died in the first war.
Maybe this is why James was able to thrice deny Voldemort. Three times Voldemort sent others to do his dirty work, and on the last time he did it himself.
The Death Eater theory has holes however. If some relatives were Death Eaters, one could theorize that they would have, after Voldemort's fall, turned away in public. Then, if they were not thrown in Azkaban, they would claimed that Harry could live with them. In turn attempted to kill him. If there had been ex-Death Eater relatives Dumbledore would have denied them guardianship I'm sure.
(2) As stated above, because of James's pureblooded heritage, Harry could have direct relatives in Azkaban. Dumbledore, trying to keep some things from Harry, would threaten to punish those who told Harry about this. But, of course, Harry would have already heard about it from Malfoy.
(3) Also Harry’s grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins could have all been killed by Death Eaters or Voldemort in the first war. This fits a lot of loose ends. Harry’s character demands solitude. That is why his parents are killed. That is why Sirius is killed. That is why we must fear the oncoming war. Dumbledore, Lupin, the Weasleys (including Ron), and Hermione are probably on Voldemort’s hitlist.
But if Harry’s not so immediate family had been killed by Voldemort, why hasn’t he heard of this?

It goes deeper.

Sarmi
July 14th, 2003, 9:15 pm
I don't know about the Potter's. I think that hey are all gone and Harry is the last of them.

However, I do think that Harry has a relative at Hogwarts. I really think that Albus Dumbledore is Harry's grandfather from his father's mother's side. Harry's mother's blood protects him at Privet Drive. So, what protects him at Hogwarts.....must be his father's blood.

DD cares too much about Harry to be just a teacher pupil relationship, he's got to be related in someway.

Sarmi

Oddfellow
July 14th, 2003, 9:27 pm
Quote from Sarmi: "I really think that Albus Dumbledore is Harry's granfather from his father's mother's side."

so Albus is James's mother's... husband?

Halfred
July 14th, 2003, 11:40 pm
I think Sarmi meant that Dumbledore is Harry's Great Grandfather from his grandmother's side.

Personally, I think all Potters are dead, Voldemort killed many families like the McKinnons, so I think he killed all the Potters.
I've always imagined the Potters like the Weasleys (but rich), I mean, James' parents "helped" Sirius when he left his house, and I can't see a Death Eater family doing that, specially knowing that Sirius left his house because he "hated" his family (a Dark Side family).

rayrayjohanna
July 14th, 2003, 11:52 pm
With Wizards have a longer life expectancy than muggles, Harry should have grandparents and possibly great grandparents. The Potters appeared to be an entrenched pureblood family. As someone else mentioned in this thread, I was very surprised that Harry did not pursue this subject with Sirius.He had the perfect opportunity which Sirius brought up the subject of staying with James' family.

nezhpchik
July 14th, 2003, 11:55 pm
I don't think that the Potter family was large to start with. They were probally were dying out long before Harry and James came around. And if there was a sufficent number of Potter's left, or ?(James' mom's side) then a number of them probally died in the 1st Voldemort war, as James was raised to hate the dark arts and Sirius moved in with James' family, or the older ones were killed off in the Grindelwald war in the early/mid 40's. Most likely many were killed off in the Grinelwald war, and then whatever was left was killed in the first Voldemort war.

Good point about Dumbledore, but I think that Harry would have been told by now, but Dumbledore has been very secertive with him until he told him about the prophesy.

Arunananth
July 15th, 2003, 1:17 am
Dumbledore cares for Harry because he is important in the prophecy. He is the one who has to kill Voldemort. I don't think they are related but it is possible for them to be distant relatives.

hermeeownninny
July 18th, 2003, 9:38 pm
Were the Potters one of those old pureblood families? If so, were they related to the Blacks, Weasleys, Malfoys, and/or Longbottoms? Is that how James and Lily were so rich, the Potter fortune, passed down through generations, like the Malfoys? If they weren't, then what was James's background? How did James and Lily get all that money then?

Also, didn't ever strike you as odd that all of Harry's family were dead? What about James's side? Did Voldemort kill all of them and if so, why? The prophecy implies that Voldemort only wanted to kill Harry, not the whole family. And there's still the mystery of why Voldemort was willing to spare Lily's life.

Ah, questions, questions. Anyone have any ideas?

harp230
July 18th, 2003, 9:59 pm
Seems like I have heard this topic addressed in a variety of threads(Some a bit off topic if I recall)...Try a search! Look at the thread in the Book 5 section on Snape as an anagram....

Side note though one my pet theory/fact. Keep in mind that is it Harry's intrepretation that he has no relatives. No one that we can trust has ever said that Harry has no relatives. Dumbledore is careful to say that Harry has no family(other than the Dursley's) or relatives on his mothers side. Sirius says that Harry is the last Potter. That leaves the possibility of Harry having female relatives on his father's side that do not consider Harry family.

Mulciber
July 18th, 2003, 10:06 pm
Well, we know Harry is technically a halfblood as JKR has called him that several times. We know that Lily was -*hem hem*- pardon the expression, a mudblood as my dearest Snape called her that...

Now, we know that being a halfblood doesn't mean that one parent was a wizard/witch and the other was a muggle, because then Harry wouldn't be a halfblood; both Lily and James were magic. So we can assume that being a halfblood means you are a mix of old wizarding families and new ones.

Et, Voila! That would mean that James has to have come from an old wizarding family... Of course, Sirius makes no mention of this when he's talking about how all the old families are related. You'd think he'd be glad to tell Harry that they were related. Of course, maybe this is going to be part of some plot twist coming up and JKR doesn't want to give that away too soon.

I hope that logic wasn't too hard to follow. It makes good sense to me. Maybe I overlooked something though, I dunno. I'd love to hear any other theories.

Rowena Ravenclaw
July 18th, 2003, 10:21 pm
The fact the Potters were willing to essentially adopt Sirius after his own family turned on him suggests they didn't share the Blacks' pureblood values. Depending on how far back they lost those values and thus got thrown off the family tree, Sirius may not have known the exact relationship.

moon17
July 18th, 2003, 10:48 pm
i think that the prophecy voldemort heard about harry made him somewhat parenoid about all potters. it's highly likely that he wanted to try and eliminate all potters and their bloodline. so then voldemort and his followers would kill james' parents, james' parents brothers/sisters/cousins, which whould explain why harry has no relatives, and would also explain why voldemort sounded like he wasn't interested in killing lily(because she had no potter blood in her).

dumbleedore
July 18th, 2003, 11:13 pm
All the wizards on the Black family tree would have been descendants of the original Black's, so unless a descendant of the original Potter's married into the Black's, they wouldn't be related.

If that makes any sense...

Hammi
July 19th, 2003, 12:10 am
Go back to adam and eve and we're all related

nezhpchik
July 19th, 2003, 1:39 am
It's very probable that the Potters are an old wizzarding family, but we don't know their true values, or if James had any sisters or brothers. I think James was an only child, as his father was, and his father was and etc. There may have been a girl sibling thrown in there, but probally not from James, maybe he did have an aunt on the Potter side, but I'm not sure on believing that.

As a reminder we have 2 sets of grandparents, 4 sets of great-grand parents, and 8 sets of great-greats. Plus this is without siblings of them either. James' father may have had a sibling, but it either was a sister or the brother didn't have kids or had girls. James' grandparents may have had siblings who passed descendants down the family tree, but they probally don't bear the Potter name as women don't pass down the name.

In other words, we don't know about Harry's family because he doesn't. It won't surprise me if Harry meets some of his third cousins, and he may have known them all along, or he may meet them later. I also find it shocking that there are no living relations of the Evans' family. I have a feeling Mark Evans was thrown in for a reason. Knowing Petunia, she probally isn't in contact with members of her family(or the other way around!), but that is for another thread.

Lord Thingy
July 19th, 2003, 2:02 am
I don't know if this is helpful, but here are a couple threads that harp230 might be talking about:

"Harry: Pure blood or half and half?" thread:
http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=4139
There are 192 replies in that thread and I didn't read them all, so I can't tell for sure if that's the right one...

A "Grandparents" thread:
http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=13879

And a some discussion in the "Mark Evans!" thread:
http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=11262

Hope these might be helpful...

cho_chang
July 19th, 2003, 4:00 am
If the Potters WERE pure-bloods, I'm sure Harry would've seen it on the pure-blood tree- oh, actually, never mind... they could've been disowned by the family too. But wouldn't Sirius would've told Harry? Do you think he would've told him that he, Harry, in fact, is related to Draco?

hermiones mum
July 19th, 2003, 4:36 am
Shall we start looking at females that are important to the order, that could have lost their maiden name of Potter. (Molly, Minerva).
Or just unable to look after anyone like Alice Longbottom...that could tie into the prophecy adding uncertainty on Neville or Harry.
Or just looking for anything like Madam Puddifoots (teashop in Hogsmeade) sound like padfoot?

Prof.Aze
July 19th, 2003, 4:53 am
The Potter are well known as i should have guessed. And i think that the Potter are a relative of Black since the Potters are a pure blood. Harry became a half blood because of Lily. Lily came from a muggle family. And i also think that all purebloods are rich with the exception of the Weasleys. Sirius called them blood traitors. Don't know why.

ssssalizar
July 19th, 2003, 5:43 am
Didn't he call them blood traitors because they liked muggles? Is there something deeeper here?

Cish_hp92
July 19th, 2003, 5:47 am
we cannot fathom this mystery as of now, though even i am dying to know EVERYTHING about harry and his past!!!!

Kizz
July 19th, 2003, 8:22 am
Originally posted by ssssalizar (original post (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?postid=468130#post468130))
Didn't he call them blood traitors because they liked muggles? Is there something deeeper here?

I got the same impression that 'blood traitors' could be because of the slightess absence of hatred towards muggles.

OotP UK p74 Chapter 4
'Filth! Scum! By-products of dirt and vileness! Half-breeds, mutants, freaks'

OotP UK p96 Chapter 6
'Stains of dishonor, filthy half-breeds, blood traitors, children of filth

Mrs Black's definately got alot to say for herself. I think the Weasleys would be the 'children of filth' seeing as it's plural, same for the 'dirt and vileness'. I think there's deeper Weasley involvement with muggles somewhere. I know this is a little OT - who's the freak, or is that Potter?

RedCape
July 19th, 2003, 10:01 am
I agree since Sirius said that all the old wizard families are related that there is a distant relationship somewhere.

Chapter Six, The Noble and Most Ancient House of Black.
"The pure-blood families are all interrelated," said Sirius. "If you're only going to let your sons and daughters marry pure-bloods your choice is very limited; there are hardly any of us left."

Course in that chapter we also see the book Nature's Nobility: A Wizarding Genealogy . Sirius uses it to smash an unpleasant-looking silver instrument which is on Harry's arm.

JKR could have just said, he used a heavy book, but she gave us the title. The Potters might be in that book.

Hammi
July 19th, 2003, 2:04 pm
Good observation Red Cape, i wanna see if theres something else about that book

Hestia
August 11th, 2003, 4:48 am
Ive been wondering myself. The only mention of the Evans' is how proud they were when Lily gets her letter. The only mention of the Potters is that Sirius went there when he ran away and they took him in. Something is definitely up in the grandparents realm. Especially the Potters, who were purebloods(I think) but either way they were magical and witches and wizards live longer than mere muggles so they should still be around unless something bad happened. Also Sirius casually mentions that all of the Pureblood families are interrelated and although its just a quick passing remark I think it will be important. For example Draco is on the family tree and Ron would be if it werent for Mrs Blacks triggerhappiness so theyre related to each other as well. Thereis a definite possibilities for some weird family ties coming up, especially with all the mystery about Harrys grandparents he could end up being Dracos long lost cousin for all we know.

RedCape
August 11th, 2003, 10:42 am
Why does Dumbledore have to be a relative just because he cares for Harry a great deal? Love isn't limited to family.

Dumbledore has been watching Harry closely for years. Harry is a nice kid. Of course, Dumbledore would grow close to Harry and have strong feelings for him.

cleansweep11
August 11th, 2003, 11:16 am
Ok this is what I'm thinking. When Sirius said in the 5th book that the ran away to the potters,he mentioned harry's grandparents. Why didn't Harry question Sirius further?Why did he ask about why he ran away instead of asking about them?this is the first mention of them in the series. Does Harry not care about them or did he not notice sirius mentioned them?

Pinkerton
August 11th, 2003, 11:38 am
I'm like cleansweep11, it is odd that Harry never tried to find out more about his grandparents and all that, after they were mentioned. But I guess he was too wrapped up in other things to pay it much mind?

Myself, I never considered whether or not the Potters were alive.. I always thought they were dead, for some odd reason. It would be real nifty though of some were still alive..

And as for Dumbledore being Harry's grandfather... I think it's a very very interesting theory, but I still haven't seen enough proof. (Though many of my recent dreams keep having parts where Dumbledore tells Harry he is his grandfather!) O_o

pegoheart144
August 11th, 2003, 11:46 am
Why does Dumbledore have to be a relative just because he cares for Harry a great deal? Love isn't limited to family.

Dumbledore has been watching Harry closely for years. Harry is a nice kid. Of course, Dumbledore would grow close to Harry and have strong feelings for him.There is evidence that Dumbledore was close to Lily and James also. Dumbledore even mentions to Harry that he knew James well in PoA. When you're involved in a struggle like they were in against Voldemort, everyone gets closer.

kiten_magic
August 11th, 2003, 11:49 am
I was wondering that too... i mean why didnt he ask dumbldore about where they were when he saw them in the mirror of erised??I would have beaten the info out of him!

hmmmmmmm...

kiten_magic
August 11th, 2003, 11:54 am
there is also something else... why were the potters not on the black family tapestry? Most pure-blood families are united someway or another... but i suppose if James was kin to Sirius, Sirius would have said so immediatly...but how on earth did all the potters just dissapear?

Mrs. Biggerstaff
August 11th, 2003, 12:18 pm
yeah now that we know harry only has to stay for protection then that would mean that harry could live with anyone on his mothers side (but i thing there is someone that dumbledore doesnt know about remember Mark "EVANS") yeah thhat woudl mean that his mothers side is basucically not there!

yeah then his fathers side, i think maybe there are some people we dont know about yet!

cruplover
August 11th, 2003, 12:26 pm
I'm reasonably certain that there are other pureblood families not shown on the Black tapestry. Fudge and Crouch come to mind, as well as Dumbledore... No, I don't know that they're pure, but I still don't believe that ALL of the purebloods were represented on that tapestry.

I doubt very seriously that Harry has any Potter relatives. James's parents took Sirius in, and I suspect any Potter left would LOVE to claim Harry and raise him. (The fame alone would draw even distant kin out of the woodwork.) It is plausible that the other Potters were killed off by Voldemort, or maybe James was the only child of two only children?

Oo bUMbLE bEE oO
August 11th, 2003, 12:33 pm
I always wondered why Harry never questioned anybody who knew about his family history. He was always concerned about his parents, but he never sat down with Sirius or Lupin to ask about his family. Course he never had time, but still. I'm sure in the sixth book, we'll see him going into a thorough search about what happened to everybody. I hope James has a brother or something or sisters.

RedCape
August 11th, 2003, 12:37 pm
Ok this is what I'm thinking. When Sirius said in the 5th book that the ran away to the potters,he mentioned harry's grandparents. Why didn't Harry question Sirius further?Why did he ask about why he ran away instead of asking about them?this is the first mention of them in the series. Does Harry not care about them or did he not notice sirius mentioned them?

I know! Harry, Harry, Harry. That was your chance!

Still, the Dursleys taught him not to ask questions about his family. PS/SS, ch. 2, The Vanishing Glass. "Don't ask questions -- that was the first rule for a quiet life with the Dursleys."

That was the first thing Harry learned at the Dursleys and is the only explanation (that I know of) for why he frustrates us readers and doesn't ask these questions!

Shells Bells
August 11th, 2003, 1:04 pm
I know! Harry, Harry, Harry. That was your chance!

Still, the Dursleys taught him not to ask questions about his family. PS/SS, ch. 2, The Vanishing Glass. "Don't ask questions -- that was the first rule for a quiet life with the Dursleys."

That was the first thing Harry learned at the Dursleys and is the only explanation (that I know of) for why he frustrates us readers and doesn't ask these questions!

I agree RedCape. And not only what you have said, but think of what Harry had been going through. Sirius on the lam, Out of Touch with everyone he considers a friend, dreams driving him buggy, a crackpot house elf and more secrets than you can count, Etc, etc

Talk about information overload. We have the advantage of being able to sit back and read the books from our comfy chairs, sofas or beds. Harry kind of had tons of info thrown at him all at once. Some things are bound to slip through the cracks.

Of course we are sitting here asking why a fictional character isn't asking questions as if he were real so maybe our sanity is slightly in doubt too. :rotfl: Oh well it makes for something interesting to do on my lunch hour. :blush:

auror
August 11th, 2003, 1:14 pm
PoA p.272 Bloomsbury
... ready to strike the moment he could be sure of allies... to deliver the last Potter to them. If he gave them Harry, whod dare say hed betrayed Lord Voldemort?...

The lines above belong to Sirius. Since he knows Potters well, his words prove that all of them are dead. How they died is another question, but they surely are dead!

I strongly believe Potters died fighting Grindewald and Voldemort. If James lost most of his family members to Grindewald, that would surely explain why he hated the dark arts that much. It also explains DDs trust to James about having him in the order when he just graduated from Hogwarts.

silver ink pot
August 11th, 2003, 1:43 pm
It is possible for Harry to be the last Potter, but still have an aunt by marriage or a cousin with a different last name. I'm interested in the theory that most of the Potters have been women, and so have married into other families. I've been frustrated with Harry not asking about his family history, but I know that teenagers don't always ask the right questions. To Harry, his parents are the important thing, and I think he has trusted Dumbledore to tell him what he needs to know. And he tells Harry that he has trusted in his "Mother's blood" to protect him on Privet Drive. He doesn't say anything about his "Father's blood," but that doesn't mean it is nonexistent.

This just has to be cleared up! Are you listening Ms. Rowling?

What if the Potters died during the fight with Grindelwald, and James was adopted by someone? Perhaps Dumbledore? Perhaps someone else whose name we know? I've toyed with a theory that maybe Snape and James were orphan cousins who were both adopted by Dumbledore, or someone, and that is why James taunts him just "because he exists." Sounds alot like Dudley and Harry to me. Snape could still be related to Lily as a stepbrother, too. I know this is a strange idea, but it might explain the sibling-rivalry type feelings that Snape has for James, and the interest he has in keeping Harry alive. I'm not saying that Snape was ever a Potter, just that he might be related somehow to James. :scared:

Maybe Harry will find more pictures, or even letters, among Sirius Black's possessions? Letters would be a great discovery! I think Grimmauld Place holds alot of mysteries to be discovered. :whistle:

I wouldn't put any faith in anything that Harry saw in the Mirror of Erised. Dumbledore tells him that it doesn't show the truth, only the desire. All those relatives behind him were just Harry's desire for relatives. But I'm glad that family trees seem to have been introduced, and I know Harry will take another look at the 'House of Black' and discover some connections. I wonder if it could be repaired with a "Reparo" spell? ;)

I think Harry could still ask Lupin or Moody, or perhaps someone new will blurt out something about Harry's past or relatives. Rowling has used that plot device plenty of times.

Catgirl
August 12th, 2003, 3:31 pm
I think that when James and Lily were in the Order Lord Voldermort killed their families. That is the reason why Petunia hates them so much because she blames them for the deaths of her parents and any siblings her and Lily might have had.

I think that Harry's long lost brother will show up, just as soon as he's finished his quest to throw the ruling ring into the fires of Mount Doom. ;) (Sorry, just taking the oppertunity to point out the simularities between Daniel Radcliffe and Elijah Wood. Maybe they're the same person, like Superman and Clark Kent.)

I think it is very likely that a relitive of Harry's will show up at some point. Probably one of the Death Eaters.

Bad Ice
August 12th, 2003, 11:04 pm
i think that it is possible that some of the potters are still alive, but wouldn't they have been in contact with harry in the decade that voldemort was powerless, I mean surely they would hot have abandoned him. we do know that james lived with his grandparents....so its obvious that his parents are dead. i think that will be somewhat important in the next books.......how james potter's died.

Emmeline
August 14th, 2003, 10:50 am
What if the Potters died during the fight with Grindelwald, and James was adopted by someone?

Well, I like any idea that's a bit "out there", but don't forget that Sirius mentions Harry's grandparents in Ootp. He moved in with the Potters and after he turned 17 and lived by himself he was "always welcome for Sunday lunch with the Potters". I'm sure there's more to James' family history though and there must be something important in what happened to them or we would know already. I think there must be more behind the fact that Voldemort wanted to kill James and Harry but Lily "needn't have died". That might be another thread though.

[QUOTE) I think Harry could still ask Lupin or Moody, or perhaps someone new will blurt out something about Harry's past or relatives. Rowling has used that plot device plenty of times.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, and let's not forget friends of Lily's! (I know we're talking about the Potter side of the family now). We haven't met ANY of them yet and they might have some interesting things to tell Harry. Perhaps some of the new Order characters just mentioned in passing? Emmeline Vance or Hestia Jones?

Emmeline
August 14th, 2003, 10:54 am
Oopps. Sorry about that and sorry about double posting but the last part of my post might be easier to read like this:

I think Harry could still ask Lupin or Moody, or perhaps someone new will blurt out something about Harry's past or relatives. Rowling has used that plot device plenty of times.

Yeah, and let's not forget friends of Lily's! (I know we're talking about the Potter side of the family now). We haven't met ANY of them yet and they might have some interesting things to tell Harry. Perhaps some of the new Order characters just mentioned in passing? Emmeline Vance or Hestia Jones?

cruplover
August 14th, 2003, 11:09 am
<<... ready to strike the moment he could be sure of allies... to deliver the last Potter to them. If he gave them Harry, whod dare say hed betrayed Lord Voldemort?...>>

Great, great catch, auror! I've always thought that perhaps the Potter clan had been killed off by dark wizards, specifically Voldemort and Grindelwald. Just as the Blacks and Malfoys seem to have dark art items in their home and think nothing of it, I think perhaps the Potters have long been combatting the dark arts.

My father's father's branch of the family tree has died out, if you consider no male heirs with his last name the end of the line, which I believe most people do. So, it makes sense that the wizarding world would function along the same lines. The fact that Sirius has the homeplace and Kreacher makes me believe that IS the case, especially since Kreacher seems so fond of Narcissa. (And just IMAGINE what that foul elf would do if he knew Bellatrix was loose? He'd probably affix himself to her robe or something!)

Soooo...that means that James could have aunts or female cousins, or perhaps even a niece or two out there.

As for Lily, Petunia's reactions in the first part of OotP makes me pretty sure there is a whole lot more to THAT story, but that's for another thread.

Avada*Kedavra
August 14th, 2003, 11:21 am
well hes obviously the last of the Potters or else he wouldnt have to live with the Dursleys... :no: they could have been killed by Voldemort...but we dont know.

Phionex
August 14th, 2003, 11:31 am
Ok and Harry and the Potters, I think there could be Potters still around and I do think Dumbledore has a family connection to the kid. I agree all of this is a gut feeling but I look at it like this. . . . .

1. Lilys blood protects him becasue maybe they share the same blood type. I mean its hard for a woman to carry a child who's blood type is different. So if voldermort killed her and the most powerful spell that could protect him came form attacting to the blood I could see that. So yes then only being wth Petunia could pertect thim then.

2 Another theroy on Lilys scarfice and how it relates to Harry having to stay with Petunia is mitochodiral DNA. If the the spell DD cast attacted to this then only petunia, dudely, lily, harry, and lilys mom could have it (not to mention any siblings lili my have.) This is a likely possiblity and would explain why he would have to go to Petunia if she is the last of Lily's motchondiral line

We know that it was Lily's scarfice that in the end gave DD what need to protect Harry. Above are the reasons on how Harry could have stayed with Petunia and still have family. I mean A if Petunia knew James sitll had other relitives she would have never taken Harry in which would have placed him in great danger. B) Not telling Harry now will only ensure that he stays with Durselys till the time is right. In the end its been about keeping the kid alive, I think and feel that there are more Potters out there.

pegoheart144
August 14th, 2003, 12:19 pm
well hes obviously the last of the Potters or else he wouldnt have to live with the Dursleys... :no: they could have been killed by Voldemort...but we dont know.In the Prophecy it mentions that the parents (James and Lily) of the one who can destroy the Dark Lord defied him three times. Maybe some of the Potters were killed in those attempts.

cruplover
August 14th, 2003, 2:33 pm
<<In the Prophecy it mentions that the parents (James and Lily) of the one who can destroy the Dark Lord defied him three times. Maybe some of the Potters were killed in those attempts.>>

That point has been brought up several times, and I agree, especially since the phrase "last Potter" was used. To me, that implies that the whole family was significant, if merely as the foil to the Blacks. By that, I mean that maybe the Potters were just known for being strong, GOOD wizards, or maybe simply, STRONG wizards. Maybe Voldemort would have really like to have them "on board" for whatever reason (possible connection to Dumbledore?), and their rejection required Voldemort to wipe them all out.

pavonia black
August 14th, 2003, 3:49 pm
technically, since Lilly put the initial protection charm on Harry, Dumbledore had to use one of Lilly's blood relatives to do the rest. So Harry could only stay with Lilly's blood relatives. This leaves room for plenty of surviving Potters.

Since Lucius is only 41 at the end of book 5, James and Lilly would probably still be in their thirties. This means Harry could have grandparents, great-grandparents, and great-great grandparents(given wizard lifespans). Plus a number of great-aunts and uncles, second cousins, and what not.

I agree whole-heartedly with your point. I was also thinking it could be a combination of distance and the Dursleys manic attempts to keep him 'normal.' Potter's family was from somewhere in Wales (I believe) and the Dursleys lived in Little Surrey. While my geography is not all the great, it seems like that would be a fair distance for rumors of surviving loved ones to cross. Also any letters, packages and other attempts to contact him would be repulsed a la the Hogwarts letters.

Amanalcariel
August 14th, 2003, 4:05 pm
Im guessing that all of James' family was killed by Voldemort and the Death Eaters, because I can see DD's reason for keeping Harry with the Dursleys now, only if there were any of Harry's relatives left surely he would've been introduced to them by now.

Amadeus
August 15th, 2003, 5:55 am
It does seem weird, since the wizards/witches have longer life span than the muggles yet almost none of them have their grandparents alive (with the known exception of Neville Longbottom) and most of the magical community are only children...

Emmeline
August 15th, 2003, 11:06 am
It does seem weird, since the wizards/witches have longer life span than the muggles yet almost none of them have their grandparents alive (with the known exception of Neville Longbottom) and most of the magical community are only children...

Actually I think this is something that we (and Harry) just don't know yet. It's just not mentioned in the books so far and JKR might never put in some of that information it it's not important to the plot (or if it is important to later plots she conceals it from us). She's said in interviews that she knows all about her characters and their backgrounds and and there probably won't be enough space to put all that in the books.

I think Ron's grand father is actually mentioned in one book, just in passing. Something about a present or something that was inherited, oh yes, his wizard chess set. As for siblings, we just don't know about a lot of the kids at Hogwart. Not about their grand parents either.

sindatur
August 15th, 2003, 11:25 am
The long life span of Wizards is a bit confusing to me.

We know Dumbledore is 155 +/-, but that could be due to the Sorceror's stone. Dumbledore was needed by the Magic world and there was no one to replace him as "The Dark Lord Fighter" until HArry came along. Then we can safely assume that Aberforth must be awfully old as well, since it seems strange that brothers would be 50 years or more apart in age. The we have the O.W.L. Professor (Marchand?) who remembers Dumbledores O.W.L.s, but didn't JKR say he was in his 90s? That would mean Dumbledore had O.W.L.s in his 50s or 60s? Aside from that, we haven't heard of anyone more than 80 years old. The Chocolate Frog cards (I think that's what the list I read is) showed famous Wizards as living between 50 and 80yrs old. Very confusing?

Yes, it is quite odd for there to be no Potters left, although if they were a Pureblood family maybe they just didn't practice marrying Muggles regularly and therefore didn't have a wide ranging family because they didn't want to be marrying their cousins? Or possibly they had a high percentage of Daughters, so few men to carry on the name. If it was a small family it wouldn't take much to wipe out the name of Potter. Sirius was the last Black, and wasn't there another family that became extinct in the last book or 2 (maybe the Crouches are what I'm thinking of)

cruplover
August 15th, 2003, 12:35 pm
I remember thinking it was odd that DD was so old, yet one of the testers remembered DD's OWLs. I doubt very seriously that DD took his OWLs at any age other than 15, so that makes the whole thing curious. JKR has admitted to a couple of other mistakes (the stool used with the sorting hat had three or four legs, depending on the book), so maybe...

I'll have to re-read that passage!

darcyhuff
August 15th, 2003, 2:30 pm
Well many people have relatives who live farther away. For example, my aunts, uncles, and cousin live in NJ as I live in PA. Anyways, there could still be some Potters in other places where Voldemort didn't go, so I guess there could still be some left. Maybe they moved away because they somehow heard that Voldemort was going to attack. Voldemort (Tom Riddle) was the Heir of Slytherin, so he had a connection with Salazar Syltherin. In book 2, it mentions that Harry might be "Slytherin's great-great-great-great grandson or something". So I guess some moved out and remained safe. Just an idea, I'm sure there's a mistake in there somewhere.

http://www.msnusers.com/lgf99ce4ao4akjgdj6b8r7h433/Documents/Pictures%2Fvsc7%2Dlaphotos%2D05%5B1%5D.jpg

FawkesBox
October 28th, 2003, 12:47 am
Also, didn't ever strike you as odd that all of Harry's family were dead?

Yes and no. Barty Crouch Jr and Sr were the only two Crouches left. Sometimes families just die out. Since pureblooded families tend to be family stems not family trees, one would almost expect fewer and fewer children and families, not more and more...

[Pretty]_[Unicorn]
October 28th, 2003, 1:06 am
I agree that maybe James is from an old wizarding family because fist off he is a pureblood but it really doesn't seem weird to me that he has no brothers or sisters because it was said that it is so hard to find 2 people from the opposite sex, pureblood so maybe they had one kid, James, and divorced after. It doesn't seem as usual for wizarding families as muggle families (excluding the Weasleys) to only have one or two kids tops. My guess is that James' family got divorced and maybe his parent died at a young age or maybe was killed from work or who knows what. I'm sure JKR will provide us with some info. later on. As for James being related to Sirius, I think that Sirius would have told HP by book 5 or even Remus after Sirius' death so I have my doubts but it is still possible. There are to many loopholes haha.

harp230
October 28th, 2003, 1:41 am
I would say that if there is some relationship, it is something like 50th cousins 30 times removed:) or there is a particularilt bad story behind it. Assuming Harry's dad's parents did not have james particularily late in life they were definately rather young when they died. Lets assume that James Parents had him when they were in their early to mid 20's. Presumably harry's parents were in their early 20's when they died( Lets assume 23 just for arguments sake) that would put Harry's grandparents at 46-51 when James died. Thats not too old at all. On top of that between Lily and James the only family they had at the the time they died was Harry and those Dursleys. We do know that harry's fathers parents were alive through the whole time He attended hogwarts or at least close to it because Sirius mentions living with them until he was 17 then coming to eat sunday dinners at their house.
As far as that book, I guess we will have to wait until Hermione reads it because Harry will never see it as more that a giant fly swatter. An don the topic of harry and the obvious things he does not look into. Who in there right mind would not ask " Oh really you lived with my grandparents! What were they like?" Ok... my little rant is over.

rotsiepots
October 28th, 2003, 10:04 am
Yes and no. Barty Crouch Jr and Sr were the only two Crouches left. Sometimes families just die out. Since pureblooded families tend to be family stems not family trees, one would almost expect fewer and fewer children and families, not more and more...

Similarly, as James seems to be an only child it wouldn't be impossibly difficult for an entire family to die out.

Only children seem to be quite common in the magical world.

Sinistra
October 28th, 2003, 5:15 pm
Maybe there was some sort of "understanding" between the Potters and Blacks that James would marry Andromeda, and then both went and fell in love with others. And one a muggle and the other muggleborn! That may have upset a few applecarts in the geneology game of pureblood wizarding politics.

And it's entirely possible that Harry is distantly related to Draco, Ron and Sirius, as well as Neville etc. James probably has no sibling (at least no male sibling for sure) because Harry might have been placed with them instead of Petunia. Harry may be the last Potter, but there may be other distant female relatives who married into other families.

Twinkly eyed
October 28th, 2003, 6:12 pm
i think the riches come from them having good jobs, i mean they were in Gryffindor, and by what i can gather , a lot of Gryffindors have good jobs! and besides, they probably had a lot saved up for harry anyway, i mean , if Lily found out she was pregnant, then she wouldnt go out spending a fortune, would she?!?!?!?

Jill
October 28th, 2003, 6:42 pm
The thing is that the mirror of erised showed what I believe to be most of Harrys family. I think Voldermort might have killed most of his family and that is where a lot of the money had come from. Plus aurors probably get paid well due to the nature of there job.

Another thing thats alway puzzled me is why Putunia lived through those bad years when Voldermort was alive. What about Lilys parents, did Putunia leave home stright after the dark lord rose?

What happened to Lilys and Patunias parents because we have never had from either of them information that would suggest they where dead?

jordmundt6
October 28th, 2003, 11:58 pm
I doubt it. She'd have been less than 20. Voldemort started accumulating followers 8 years before Harry was born, (20 year before Harry's first year at Hogwarts "'bout twenty years ago now"--Hagrid in The Keeper of the Keys from SS/PS). It's a safe bet that both Evans girls were still in school. Killing Petunia and Vernon would have had no impact on the war with the Order, and Voldemort knew it. He probably would save the pleasure of that sort of Muggle torture for a time after the threats to him were eliminated.

dobby_rocks
October 29th, 2003, 1:30 am
because Harry might have been placed with them instead of Petunia. Harry may be the last Potter, but there may be other distant female relatives who married into other families.

I have to doubt this very much, since we find out why DD put him with his aunt in the first place cause of her blood. So i have to doubt that he would have been placed with say someone on his father's side. Like if Siruis had not gone to Prison i doubt harry would have ended up with him

As far as both sets of granparents being dead that is a tad strange since DD is 150 and Mgoncal is 70 and the lady that did the OWls had to be older then 200, since she did DD when he was in this 5th year. Wizard folk have diffrent live spans, id guess the potter were killed by voldie, but the Evans? Maybe we will find out later

I guess if Harry dies, the Potter family will all be gone. I also think that the Potters might have been a bit weatlh but i dont get the impression that they are extremly rich(ie Malfoys, Blacks seem to be). Like from POA Harry reminds himself that he still has 4 years left at Hogwarts so he shouldnt spend his money unsparling, now if Harry was say a Millonare or Billonare (in our standerds) i dont think that would really be an issue do you? The potter left him enough that he could get through school, start his carrer and proabably a bit to be safty money.

harp230
October 29th, 2003, 3:32 am
Well I do think that there is a great possibility that there is a distant female relative (for my reasons see the second post in this thread). But regardless even if there was a close relative on Harry's father's side (male or female) Harry still would have went to live with the dursley's (in order for him to be the safest he could be). It was Lily's sacrifice that allows the charm to work. Because of the sacrifice Harry would not be able to live with anyone but a direct blood relative of his mother. Harry must live with the dursley's for the charm to fully work.

As for the money, what is the intrest rate at a wizarding bank. I am sure not to great. That money is not added to over the years , just subtracted from. I wouldn't say "billionaire" standard maybe low millionaire, but what can we really say from Harry's judgement of money. What 11 year old(12, etc)really has too much of a concept of money? We know Harry has at least enough to get therough school comfortably. We do not know how much leeway Harry is giving himself. I wouldn't be able to comprehend that much money without a calculator. Knowing Harry, he has not used one of those(could you imagine Ron's reaction to a calculator, or mr. Weasleys for that matter;) ) to figure things out. For all we know Harry hasn't even counted the money. And for some reason i do not think the goblins care enough to keep record of who has what in what vault. They only seem to care who has a key to the vault.

Tirwen Lupin
October 30th, 2003, 12:37 am
We can't be certain that Harry has no relatives on his father's side. He doesn't seem too eager about learning about his family--it struck me as a bit odd that when Sirius says that he ran away from home to live with the Potters, that Harry doesn't ask about what that family was like. It'll be interesting to see if Hermione decides to read that book, "Nature's Nobility", because I greatly doubt that Harry will on his own.
I actually don't think that James had any siblings--Sirius said that Mr. and Mrs. Potter treated him like a "second son", which implies that there was only one son, possibly only one child. And if there had been any siblings, I think Sirius would have mentioned them.
I think the Potters and Blacks must be distantly related--but very distantly. Sirius would have said something if it had been comparatively close. They'd be related in the way that pretty much all pureblood families are.
It would be interesting if there was a distant female relative on James's side that we would meet in the future. Or there might be one that we've already met. We don't know much about the genealogy of most of the characters.
But even if there were some, Harry would still have to live with the Dursleys.

Potter1313
October 30th, 2003, 1:55 am
I think Harry will read the book "Nature's Nobility" himself. He doesn't need Hermione to do all his reading for him. He does figure things out on his own you know. My theory is that he will inherit #12 and spend some time looking around. He'll probably pick it up out of a detatched curiousity. I think it would be interesting to see if the Potters are actually mentioned in it.
In my opinion, I believe Harry DOES have relatives out there on his father's side but doesn't know about them and wasn't told about them because he has to remain with Petunia in order to stay protected by his mother's blood. He wasn't told about them because it would definitely be hard for him to willingly stay with the Dursleys if he knows he could technically be with someone who actually enjoys his presence. I mean, look at his reaction to Sirius' question in POA when he asked him to come and live with him. He practically peed his pants. (Can't say I'd blame him though. I'd do the same if it were me.) So, Harry probably does have relatives on his father's side, close and/or distant, but isn't told about them because it's imperative that he remain with the Dursleys.

dorcasderr
October 30th, 2003, 2:34 am
Now that Harry knows not only that he must stay with the Dursleys at least part of the time, but also that it IS imperative for him to do so, and WHY, now, perhaps NOW, the way will be free for him to know about...and meet...any other living relatives he may have.

jordmundt6
October 30th, 2003, 3:26 am
dorcas--yes, you may be right about that. Potter--are you serious? Harry might have found that interesting for a passing glance, but its the embodiment in print of everything he despises about the pureblood maniacs. If it becomes absolutely necessary, he might crack it. Hermione wouldn't touch that thing with a 10-foot pole.

jasper
March 14th, 2004, 11:18 pm
Didn't JKR kind of say they're dead and they don't really matter to the story?

I think she just never really needed them for the plot, or actually, what she needed was their absence. They have to be gone for Harry to end up with the Dursleys. So they're gone. Inventing backstory for them is just a chore she doesn't really want.

pegoheart144
March 14th, 2004, 11:28 pm
Didn't JKR kind of say they're dead and they don't really matter to the story?

I think she just never really needed them for the plot, or actually, what she needed was their absence. They have to be gone for Harry to end up with the Dursleys. So they're gone. Inventing backstory for them is just a chore she doesn't really want.Yes she said that in her recent chat. She did say we would learn a little more about them.

koli
March 15th, 2004, 1:24 am
yea, their absence is essential for the plot: Making the Dursley's his only relatives, therefore Harry having to go back to Privet Drive every summer b/c of his mothers blood in him and Aunt Petunia.

liteairyfairy
March 15th, 2004, 1:31 am
Mark Evans sound like an interesting character, and JK probably did put him for future uses. One thing I'm very puzzled about: If Harry can see his family in the Mirror of Erised, how would he know how his family looked like? He had never known them, after all. It also stated that Harry saw other pairs of green eyes. We all know he has his mother's eyes, so that must mean the mirror show the Potters and the Evans. However, in the book, it just said the Potters...
As for the Potters, they probably were killed off by Voldemort, and Lily and James escaped him three times during those attacks.

harlle15
March 15th, 2004, 7:28 am
i just hope that JKR put them in the plot and that would make the story even better. coz for me i want to know more about the potters and the evans!!!!

Maebel
March 15th, 2004, 4:13 pm
Here is a thought. What if the potters that are alive are squibs! Matbe Mrs. Figg?!?

dobby_rocks
March 15th, 2004, 4:47 pm
Here is a thought. What if the potters that are alive are squibs! Matbe Mrs. Figg?!?

A good idea after all it was Lily blood that was to protect Harry. So even if he had other kin on his father side i have to doubt their blood would have done it

Influence
March 15th, 2004, 6:12 pm
Hmmmm I dont subscribe to the idea that Harry still has family alive. Im sure it would have been almost impossible for him to get through 5 years of Hogwarts without someone saying it to him. Unless of course the general Wizarding public don't know. And as someone alreasy has pointed out im sure Malfoy would be the first person to tell him if he had any relitives in Azkaban.

Something else that may need considering: Sirius is named as Harry's god father. We are not given any other mention of any other God Parents, surely if Harry had other Godparents that where family, we would have seen Dumbledore talking about them to others not infront of Harry, especailly during SS/PS when Dumbledore hands Harry over to the Dursely's and no characters ask "What about X relitive of Harry's?"

Influence

Doggy
March 16th, 2004, 7:47 am
We don't know how large the Potters family has been. Granted, the Blacks' family tree is huge, but that doesn't mean that the Potters' one has to be big as well. Maybe James was an only child, and he only had two aunts/uncles and maybe some cousins s his relatives (except his parents of course), and they could all be dead, killed by Voldemort or something.

We did see a lot of relatives in the Mirror of Erised, but there is nothing that says that these relatives lived during the last fifty years. Some of them may have been Harry's great-great-great-great grandparents.

Peeves32
March 17th, 2004, 9:02 pm
Why Harry didn't ask Sirus about his(Harry's)family? Harry thinks the Dursley's are his only remaining living blood relatives. Therefore, he has no reason to ask Sirus where the rest of his family is if he thinks they are all dead. I find it hard to believe though that there isn't another Potter or Evans other than Harry and his aunt living. I'm one of two brothers and we have a huge family, lots of cousins, aunts uncles, etc. Oh one other thing, Aunt Petunia is not Harry's only remaining blood relative. Though Uncle Vernon is related by marriage, Dudley is a blood relative being that the Evans blood flows through his veins as well as the Dursley bloodline.

Marisa
June 12th, 2004, 5:09 pm
I think that if Harry really did have any other living relatives there would be a lot of revelations and a lot would change for him...

prongs310
June 12th, 2004, 5:12 pm
i have been wondering fo a while why harry has no grandparents or any other relatives.
maybee harry's father had no brothers or sisters but there should still be grand parents some where.

SSdraken
June 12th, 2004, 5:49 pm
or maybe he does, but they are yet to be unveiled, perhaps more will come later on in the series. I find myself thinking why he hasn't asked anyone yet. Harry can't be that stupid, so there must be a reason why Rowling has put that into the books yet.

lupin14388
June 12th, 2004, 5:58 pm
i have been wondering fo a while why harry has no grandparents or any other relatives.
maybee harry's father had no brothers or sisters but there should still be grand parents some where.

Harry's only living blood relative is Aunt Petunia, and that is why he has to stay with her. He probably would've been raised by a magical relative if any were living. So the question now, what happened to all his magical relatives?

SSdraken
June 12th, 2004, 6:06 pm
A condenced version of Lupins post: See Thread Name

Chances are, the Potters were either a REALLY small wizarding family, or they were all killed by Lord Voldemort. Its hard to imagine that Lilys parents, aunties, uncles (all of which would still be alive unless they died at the age of 60ish), although I find it believable that all of the Potters could be dead.

Silkeng
June 12th, 2004, 7:42 pm
This question has been driving me crazy, everytime they say he is the only potter it really upsets me as to why and how. I am more upset that Harry never asks! questions like this. Either his family was small or the only relatives he had were killed. I always explain it to myself that there was a potter plague in the world killing only potters ;) but no idea what the explanation JK will give.

ramones
June 15th, 2004, 1:08 am
Harry probably needed to live with a close relative for the charm to work.
And I also think that it is important in the story that Harry doesn't have a family and, until he starts school, anybody that loves him.

Of course we are all angry with Harry for not asking Sirius or DD, but I think there is a reason.
We don't know a whole lot about James and Lily either. I think that we will not only find about them, but also about his grandparents, Potter and Evans.

But do you think he knows anything about the Evans? After all he did live with Petunia. She must have mentioned her family.

How do you know that James is pureblood. I don't remember reading anything in the books.

ErickGama
June 15th, 2004, 4:10 am
There might not live anymore! They might be dead!

Dawn_Potter
July 13th, 2004, 10:38 am
JKR has been asked about HArry's grandparents in an interview and answered that they were all dead.

And if there were other relatives of the Potters wouldn't Harry have been sent there?
Well, maybe not because Dumbledore wanted him to grow up away from the magical world (it is said at the beginning of SS/PS I believe)
but wouldn't someone have told him up to now if there was anyone else?
And I also think that in the scene which I mentinoned before Dumbledore said that the Dursley's were the only ones left... why should he lie at that point of the story?

Mopsus
July 13th, 2004, 10:43 am
Didn't Sirius throw Nature's Nobility: A Wizarding Genealogy away with all the other nasty objects in the cabinet? :huh:

filius
July 13th, 2004, 10:44 am
This may be the work of Lord Voldemort. Would you put it past him :). But that is a very good question. There were so many of them, as JK described, in the mirror or Erised. But i think it was Voldemort , i may be wrong-which is a definete possibility.

LadySummer
July 13th, 2004, 6:09 pm
I think that gram and gramp evans are definitely dead....harry wouldnt be the harry that we know and love if he had been raised by people who loved and accepted him, and the grandparents would have be given him/taken him before he was given to the dursleys. They probably just died from natural causes sometime before harry was born...much more convenient to JK to write the story that way, and no real need to mention them.

As for gram and gramps potter, i think maybe they were killed by LV or his cronies at some point, which may be the reason james and lily went into hiding. The prophsey was predicted before harry was born and james and lily were attacked/killed over a year later. We dont know exactly when they went into hiding...but how boring would life be if they did it before harry was born and then stayed in hiding until they died...thats a long time. I'm thinking maybe they heard (or were told of) the prophsey and decided to wait and see what happened....and what eventually happened was that gram and gramps potter were attacked/killed and james and lily freaked out and then went into hiding at that point.

The potters were probably old blood wizards, on the "good" side. There was always probably "good" and "bad" ones, for lack of a better term. I guess we could think of them in terms of political parties, one bunch of one set of beliefs and the other bunch another set of beliefs, and probably generally, they didnt intermingle.....meaning odds are that the potters wouldnt have turned up on the black family tree, unless someone jumped from one party to another. Although, still, silly harry for not asking more questions of sirius!

And, if the potters were old blood wizards, they've probably been passing down money from generation to generation, which is how they accumulated their wealth, and if james was an only child, then all of it went to harry in the vault in gringotts - probably not millions, but enough to keep him lively until he can earn his own money.

I'm hoping that we'll hear more about the potters relatively soon, but i dont think there will be an exciting tale to tell about the evans. I am probably getting off topic at this point, so i guess i should end this post here.

Kimmetje
July 28th, 2004, 11:07 am
Posted by ramones
How do you know that James is pureblood. I don't remember reading anything in the books.

I thought JKR said that and Lupin in OotP that Lily made a very good marriage for a muggleborn-which probably leads to James being pureblood.

I think all the Potter's are dead, but maybe there is a far away related cousin, that would be good for Harry, to have family (except the Dursley's) that is magical. I don't think JKR will go there in the last two books though...

shelbell32
August 12th, 2004, 7:02 am
Now that Harry is approaching and will be 16 in the next book, I hope to heck that he starts trying to find out about his family. Isn't that the age many young people want to know more about their past and their relatives?

It is also puzzling that there is no trace of the Potters in portraits or books. I mean there may be, right, but Jo does not mention anything in the books so far. I can't believe that Hermione hasn't come across some book about wizarding families or something! For the Potter family to have so much money, wouldn't someone in that family have done some important job and maybe have a portrait hanging somewhere? If only Harry could find a portrait of one of his relatives, he could talk to them and find out a little bit about his past and who he came from.

:grumble: It's just so frustrating! Surely Harry is over that "ask no questions" phase! Oh, I hope there are answers in the next book. I can't take it!

atherella
August 12th, 2004, 6:00 pm
Now that Harry is approaching and will be 16 in the next book, I hope to heck that he starts trying to find out about his family. Isn't that the age many young people want to know more about their past and their relatives?

It is also puzzling that there is no trace of the Potters in portraits or books. I mean there may be, right, but Jo does not mention anything in the books so far. I can't believe that Hermione hasn't come across some book about wizarding families or something! For the Potter family to have so much money, wouldn't someone in that family have done some important job and maybe have a portrait hanging somewhere? If only Harry could find a portrait of one of his relatives, he could talk to them and find out a little bit about his past and who he came from.

:grumble: It's just so frustrating! Surely Harry is over that "ask no questions" phase! Oh, I hope there are answers in the next book. I can't take it!

I've been digging through transcripts of interviews with JKR. This is what she had to say about Harry's extended family. Sounds like EVENTUALLy we'll find out. I can't wait. If she's not saying, it has to be something significant. It does seem extremely ODD that Harry has never asked.

SB: Im going to ask one more. There were a lot of groans when I said we were going to wrap it up, so one more. What happened to Harrys grandparents?

JKR: Um, various interesting things, but again, Im not going to share. [laughter] Sorry! But thats okay, cause we have time for another question, cause I didnt answer that one!

stupiddeer
August 12th, 2004, 7:27 pm
i thought it was only harry's mother had no other living relatives and that's why harry lived with the dursleys. it was some charm about the last living relative of lily. harry's father could still have other relatives that are in pure blood families, but if james potter was an only child and his parents were both only children, harry would have no cousins or aunts and uncles.

Tane
August 12th, 2004, 8:06 pm
i thought it was only harry's mother had no other living relatives and that's why harry lived with the dursleys. it was some charm about the last living relative of lily. harry's father could still have other relatives that are in pure blood families, but if james potter was an only child and his parents were both only children, harry would have no cousins or aunts and uncles.I got a feeling that they left Petunia because she went off and married a muggle, not important to there cause and therefore not worth bothering with on the grand scale of things. You could be write about James still having relatives else where and I have a feeling some might have been on the Blacks family tree but I'm just not sure about that but one of Jame's parents could have been on that tree.

zoeydsngwrtr
August 12th, 2004, 9:06 pm
i thought it was only harry's mother had no other living relatives and that's why harry lived with the dursleys. it was some charm about the last living relative of lily. harry's father could still have other relatives that are in pure blood families, but if james potter was an only child and his parents were both only children, harry would have no cousins or aunts and uncles..

To right you are, Lilly gave her life for Harry alone, not James, granted, James did give his life, but it was for Lily and Harry, but Lilly specifically gave hers for Harry, thus Harry had to live with her blood relatives.
I am very excited that this thread is around, I have always had a ton of questions about the Potters, though like the rest of you, they are unanswered at this point.
I believe we did here something from Jo about getting to know Harry's geneology better, but that the most important points of it, we already knew.
I always wondered if the Potters did like Lily, and then they were shunned by their friends.
My theory of how they got their money, well, there is two of them, one of them is inheritance and/or decent Job...the normal way, and the second one I cannot post I do not believe. It has to do with the official JKR website and something that makes money of of.....

stupiddeer
August 12th, 2004, 11:24 pm
i wonder if the wealseys ever knew the potters though because i'm pretty sure the potter's were decent wizards, not dark wizards like the black family

Tonks04
August 30th, 2004, 2:26 am
I wondered what happened to the rest of the potter family. Although Lily gave her life for harry and it was becase of her blood that he had to go live with the dursleys but does James have his parents, and wouldnt DD see it better for harry to go and live with them?

atherella
August 30th, 2004, 6:42 am
I wondered what happened to the rest of the potter family. Although Lily gave her life for harry and it was becase of her blood that he had to go live with the dursleys but does James have his parents, and wouldnt DD see it better for harry to go and live with them?

SB: Im going to ask one more. There were a lot of groans when I said we were going to wrap it up, so one more. What happened to Harrys grandparents?

JKR: Um, various interesting things, but again, Im not going to share. [laughter] Sorry! But thats okay, cause we have time for another question, cause I didnt answer that one!

Rita: What happened to Harry's grandparents? Will we ever learn about them?

JK Rowling replies -> They're all dead and not particularly important to the story, although you will find out a little bit more.

Hope those 2 quotes help. :D

Hollis
August 30th, 2004, 8:31 pm
thanks for digging up those quotes from JKR interviews Atherella, I would think that during the purge days of you know who's days of terror, that LV would have had any of the 1/2 bloods of the Potter family murdered. Perhaps that's what happened, or maybe it was not a small family to begin with.

shelbell32
August 31st, 2004, 6:29 am
Oh yes! Thanks for the quotes. Boy she is so mysterious in the first quote, but the second one is like a wave of the hand, "Oh, you will find out a little more." It was like she was saying the past didn't have any importance. Well, maybe not. I think Jo Rowling like to be nonchalant about big, important stuff, though......

The Saint
October 11th, 2004, 10:34 pm
they must have been killed somehow or died a natural death. why else would Dumbledore send him to the Dursleys? He might have done it to toss Voldy off of Harry's trail. One thing is for certain that more of Harry's history will come out in the next two books.

Unforgivable
October 12th, 2004, 2:34 am
I think there's something with the vault Harry has. Potter's are one of the ancient pureblood lines right? Pureblood's must have heirlooms and such not just gold. Hopefully we'll see more next book or 7th book.

Paul
October 12th, 2004, 4:57 am
I think there's something with the vault Harry has. Potter's are one of the ancient pureblood lines right? Pureblood's must have heirlooms and such not just gold. Hopefully we'll see more next book or 7th book.

I think that Dumbledore has the Potters family heirlooms just like he had James cloak. I think that Dumbledore will return Harry the items when he needs them or becomes of age.

voldelavie
October 12th, 2004, 5:00 am
First of all, the title scares me. It sounds wrong somehow.

Anyways, if Harry had any paternal relatives wouldn't you think they would have tried to visit. Possibly through Mrs. Figg (even though she was sworn to secrecy). With someone as famous as Harry, it would seem as though relatives would come out of the woodwork. (Maybe not, out of respect for the family or fear of Voldemort. But there are real scumbags out there.) It would seem that if he had any family they would have tried to contact him.

After years of living with the Dursley's Harry doesn't ask questions.
I totally agree. If I found out I was wizard at 11. I would be spitting out questions faster than a machine gun. I wish Harry would open up to Dumbledore or Lupin about his past. (Or maybe the other way around.) Harry has a knack for doing it too late. As in, he only gets the heart to heart after the life-threatning situation.

The Gurg
October 12th, 2004, 5:52 am
I think I remember JKR said that all of his Grandparents were dead, Lily's only sibling is Petunia and James was an only child.

prince_21_84
November 30th, 2004, 11:44 pm
it bothers me when people say that aunt petunia is his only living relative becuase we really dont know that! i mean harry has to call the place home where his mothers blood flows which means that he would have to live with someone that was related to his mom so we really dont know that there are no more potters out there at all! there may be but i guess we will have to wait until the 6th and 7th book to see if JK says anything about this!

hollygo72
January 6th, 2005, 12:28 am
It's often mentioned that Harry has no other living relatives besides Petunia and Dudley.

I just find that ODD.

I'm not trying to say that there are some out there secretly alive. But it seems to me; that if they're all dead, ALL of them could not have died of "natural causes".

Lily and James were 22 when they died. Both of their parents (muggles and wizards) should have been in their 40s while they were in school. Now that's FAR to young to have died of natural causes.

They must have been killed, by Voldemort and his followers. What other explanation is there? I mean no grandparents, aunts and uncles, cousins neither...

Were they picked off one by one as Voldemort hunted them down? Will JKR ever discuss this?

What do YOU think happened?

mexhpfan
January 6th, 2005, 12:34 am
Yeah that's interesting definitely, I agree with you, probably they were killed by Voldemort... It's really strange.

imjk
January 6th, 2005, 12:56 am
With regards to the aunts, uncle, cousins thing, it is entirely possible that Petunia and Lily were the only siblings henceforth the reason why Harry only has Dudley as a cousin. And James Potter was probably an only child-there is no mention of any brothers or sisters. As for Grandparents-It may be possible that they died at the hands of Voldemort, which may be a reason James and Lily were in the Order of the Phoenix first time round, so as they could avenge there parents deaths?

hollygo72
January 6th, 2005, 12:58 am
I was thinking, if Lily and Petunia's parents died at the hands of Voldemort and his followers - that would go a LONG way in explaining Petunia's DEEP, DEEP, DEEP disdain of Lily and anything that smacks of wizardry.

melusinafairy
January 6th, 2005, 12:59 am
i agree that it does seem kind of weird for the rest of the relatives to vanish from earth... even Harry's grandparents seem a little young to have died from old age or any other related ailments when his parents died

MissingOctober
January 6th, 2005, 1:21 am
Also, some of them could have died form old age or sickness, just stuff like that. But, it is a pretty ironic outcome that the only family to Harry is two people that dislike him so. I think that this is actually what JK's going to talk about in HBP and the 7th book. No, I think she is going to delve into James' family actually. Well, then who knows if we'll ever get to find out for sure...

hollygo72
January 6th, 2005, 1:29 am
Also, some of them could have died form old age or sickness

Harry's grandparents (Lily and James' parents) couldn't have been more than 50 when they died. That's hardly old age.

I'm hoping in Book 6 this will be explained in the form of a blazing row between Harry and Petunia as they FINALLY get into what's been bugging both of them.

RemusLupinFan
January 6th, 2005, 1:38 am
Good question. :tu: Perhaps Harry has no other living relatives because:

1. James appears to be an only child, from what Sirius says about the Potters taking him in as a second son. So if he didn't have any other siblings, this would cut down on the amount of relatives Harry could have.

2. Lily's parents, from what we can tell, are muggles (though I get confused with issues of blood, so I could be wrong on this). If so, it's possible they could have died from illness/ailments/old age. Or they could possibly have been targeted by Voldemort.

3. I'm assuming James' parents were killed by Voldemort because as was mentioned, they would probably still be alive due to the long lifespan that wizards have. I don't think it's improbable that they were murdered by Voldemort, as their son was in the Order and defied him three times.

As we know that Lily and James are dead, this takes care of Harry's parents and grandparents, and coupled with my assumption that Harry doesn't have any other aunts and uncles, Petunia and Vernon would indeed be the only ones left alive.

snuggle the muggle
January 6th, 2005, 1:40 am
Um, not to toot my own horn or anything, but in the fanbook, that is what my essay is about sort of. Not specifically about Harry's lack of family, but about the fact that wizarding families in general seem to be disappearing at a rather alarming rate and why JKR uses this and why she has set it up like that. It is called "What Has Become of the House of Black? The Disappearing Families in JK Rowling's Books" and it may give you some ideas. Just a thought.

McBeth
January 6th, 2005, 1:42 am
Perhaps this thread? It should be helpful for reference if nothing else:

Where are all the Potters? (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=13746&highlight=Potters)

danzo66
January 6th, 2005, 1:43 am
Perhaps Voldemort did kill all of Harry's relatives one by one.

grrliz
January 6th, 2005, 1:48 am
For reference: on the Potter side of things, there's a thread on where are all the Potters? (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=13746); there's not really an equivalent thread for Lily though.

bookfreak_lilly
January 6th, 2005, 2:09 am
Ummm... Just a question, how do we know L+J were 22 when they died? :huh:

atherella
January 6th, 2005, 2:18 am
I always thought/suspected (for no real reason) that Lily's parents were killed by LV. It would help explain some of Petunia's behavior towards magic (other than jealousy), and possibly explain why she was in contact with DD. :huh:

JKR did say we'd learn what happened to Harry's grandparents, but it wasn't all that important. Maybe James was an only child too?

10/20/99

3/4/04
Rita: What happened to Harry's grandparents? Will we ever learn about them?

JK Rowling replies -> They're all dead and not particularly important to the story, although you will find out a little bit more.

grrliz
January 6th, 2005, 2:22 am
Ummm... Just a question, how do we know L+J were 22 when they died? :huh:JKR once said that Snape, who was in their year at school, was around 34 or 35 during GoF, which took place 13 years after Voldemort was vanquished. So they were around 21-22 when they died. The Harry Potter Lexion has a really good timeline (http://www.hp-lexicon.org/timelines/main/timeline_1970-1990.html) that goes into a lot more detail about it, if you're interested. :)

LuvRed
January 6th, 2005, 2:24 am
Maybe... :evil: ...the Potters were bitten by Vampires and moved ot Romania. Or, I am just over thinking this.

Firebolt2004
January 6th, 2005, 2:28 am
I know this is not a part of this thread but does anyone think that all those relatives that Harry saw in the Mirror of Erised were real or was it just him imagining them, hoping he had all these relatives?

xXx
January 6th, 2005, 2:36 am
the only living relative (we know of) of harry are the dusley..

james is pureblood.. sirius said chap6 book5
the pure-blood families are all interrelated, if you're only going to let your sons and daughters marry pure-bloods your choice is very limited; there are hardly any of us left.

maybe harry is related to the weasley.. or even the malfoy..

gymmuggle
January 6th, 2005, 2:40 am
Firebolt2004...good one..i think they were real, just like his parents, but theyve all died.

It is possible for almost whole line of a family to die out but very hard, but i guess with the death of sirius we can expect J.K. to write anything and kill any (all) family members..sadly

but still love the books! :):):)

Flash05
January 6th, 2005, 2:45 am
Thats probally one of the reasons why they went to hidding any ways. and the fact that Voldermort was after there son.

mexhpfan
January 6th, 2005, 2:54 am
the only living relative (we know of) of harry are the dusley..

james is pureblood.. sirius said chap6 book5

maybe harry is related to the weasley.. or even the malfoy..

No, don't think so because Harry is not a pure-blood. But maybe James was related to the Weasley or Malfoy families.

Emma
January 6th, 2005, 3:02 am
Merged ;)

xXx
January 6th, 2005, 3:21 am
No, don't think so because Harry is not a pure-blood. But maybe James was related to the Weasley or Malfoy families.

jame's relatives are as the same as harry's. isn't it? :huh:

ComicBookWorm
January 6th, 2005, 8:18 am
I think Voldemort killed the Potters and the senior Evans family. I think we'll find out why in HBP (hopefully).

enchantedsocks
January 6th, 2005, 3:49 pm
Chances are, the Potters were either a REALLY small wizarding family, or they were all killed by Lord Voldemort. Its hard to imagine that Lilys parents, aunties, uncles (all of which would still be alive unless they died at the age of 60ish), although I find it believable that all of the Potters could be dead.

I totally agree. I really don't think that all of Lily's family was killed. Did all of Lily's family know that Lily was a witch? They can't tell everyone, can they? Therefore, the people who didn't know might of gone with the story that they died in a car accident.

Besides, wouldn't the neighbors be supicious that Petunia's entire family was dead?

Then perhaps that hole "love spell" thing that protects Harry only works on people that have the magical blood that Lily has. (Meaning Petunia has a little bit of magic, but little enough to still make her a muggle)

As for the Potters? I believe that Voldie and his followers tracked down and killed them all. :(

popping corn
January 6th, 2005, 4:12 pm
maybe we will hear of more of the potter relatives, but harry has to stay at the dursleys because of the evans blood charm. so any other relatives are not really relavent. besides if harry believes all his relatives are dead, there is not really any reason for him to ask about them is there?

muggle_joe
January 16th, 2005, 3:35 am
Perhaps Voldemort has more than everlasting life on his list of things to do. Perhaps as Slytherins last heir he intends to rid the world of Gryffindour heirs. 1000 year old blood fued? And maybe Harry is the last on the list. We know Voldemort intended to spare Lily, but why? Why would he have killed James, want to kill Harry and leave Lily out of it? We will find out the DD is a relative, I would bet great uncle or something. He wanted Harry to grow up away from all the pressure associated to being the boy who lived.

MigratingBird
January 16th, 2005, 3:45 am
Besides, wouldn't the neighbors be supicious that Petunia's entire family was dead?

I don't think they would. Petunia's only interest in her neighbours is on a "keeping up with the Jones'" level. I think she would purposefully shy away from any connection with them as it increases the chances of someone discovering Harry's secret. Plus, connections with neighbours are not always strong anyway.

I don't think it's too unlikely that Harry has no Potter relatives left. It seems very likely that James was an only child, and if he was the son of an only child (or two only children)... then it's not that difficult for everyone to be dead. I think the war with Voldemort finished off a lot of people we haven't heard about, and before that there was the war with Grindelwald...

lady_yuna
January 16th, 2005, 3:55 am
And if James is a pureblood shouldn't he be related to someone like the weasleys or longbottoms if wizards all interrelated?