Why was Tom Riddle in Slytherin?

Pages : [1] 2

vickygirl4
July 20th, 2003, 2:50 pm
In the Sorting Hat's new song, it says "Slytherin took only pure-blood wizards . . .", but Tom Riddle was a half-blood. So eventhough he was cunning and evil, by definition, he should not have been in Slytherin, since only pure bloods are in slytherin.

Arunananth
July 20th, 2003, 2:53 pm
But didn't Tom Riddle have the blood of Salazar Slytherin. They sorting hat might have overlooked the fact that he was halfblood because he is a decendent of Salazar Slytherin.

Isaraniel
July 20th, 2003, 2:53 pm
He was the HEIR OF SLYTHERIN.
He was bound to get in Slytherin, even though he wasn't a pure-blood.

KrazzyKid
July 20th, 2003, 2:57 pm
Of course he was supposed to be in Slytherin. The fact that he's the heir overshadows the fact that he's a half-blood. Anyways, there are also many other qualities that Salazar Slytherin looked for, and Tom Riddle possesed them.

file1guy
July 20th, 2003, 3:03 pm
To quote Hagrid " there isn't a wizard alive who isnt half blood or less..."

or something like that, anyways, pureblood is as pureblood does I guess.
Harry's maternal grandmother was a muggle right?

Amina
July 20th, 2003, 4:33 pm
edit-sorry, aren't ALL harry's maternal relatives muggles? bar lily, of course?

Joshman687
July 20th, 2003, 4:40 pm
I agree with Hagrids quote but also, HE WAS THE HEIR OF SLYTHERIN. can u say destiny

Juliet Malfoy
July 20th, 2003, 4:42 pm
or perhaps it was because the sorting hat could tell that this wizard is gonna be wicked bad

Shikyo
July 20th, 2003, 4:46 pm
Because the original Slytherin had the criteria of 'only pure-blooded wizards' but after generations of breeding, there's so few pure-blooded wizards that if the sorting hat only sorted them, the Slytherin population would only be about half that of every other house?

Arissya_00
July 20th, 2003, 4:50 pm
Well, I think the Sorting Hat saw evil so much in him, and he was the heir to Slythering, and so put him in slytherin:)

danwilkie
July 20th, 2003, 4:50 pm
I thought that Slytherin took those that valued pure blood over anything else. Clearly Riddle values pure-bloodedness (is that a word?), and he thinks that pure-bloods are better than everyone else. I think that's how Slytherins are chosen. After all, Ron is pure-blood but he wasn't even considered for Slytherin. But all the Slytherins are the kind of people who use the term "Mudbl***"

Cat
July 20th, 2003, 5:06 pm
Slytherin might have favoured pure bloods, but the Hat doesn't care. If the Hat thinks somebody's a Slytherin then, by God, they're a Slytherin :lol:

Hederic
July 20th, 2003, 5:22 pm
Well, slytherin might have favoured pureblooded, but there have been centuries of headmasters that do not see it as such. Dumbledore would certainly not allow this.

Anyway, the sorting hat searches for traces of slytherinness, like ambition. It's not a DNA test...

Hammi
July 20th, 2003, 5:54 pm
Clearly Vold wasnt pureblood but took the values of a pureblood's superiority to heart. Though he wasn't a pureblood by blood, he was by values

RedCape
July 20th, 2003, 5:57 pm
As for Hagrid's quote it is just his opinion, not a researched fact. Still, he has a point back in everyone's family trees there may be one or two muggles hidden.

Amadeus
July 21st, 2003, 5:56 pm
when the sorting hat said Slytherin, it means Salazar Slytherin when he was alive. if they tried to make up a house with JUST purebloods, there would be less than 50 for the entire house.
Tom Riddle's ambition, and greediness for achievement and power was what landed him in Slytherin.

aiko amaya
July 21st, 2003, 6:39 pm
Originally posted by Joshman687 (original post (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?postid=471248#post471248))
I agree with Hagrids quote but also, HE WAS THE HEIR OF SLYTHERIN. can u say destiny

hem hem. it's you not u, please remember no im slang here. Anyway, I agree it's a mixture of him beiong the heir, his presonal traits, (ambition, evil, parseltounge) and the fact that there aren't all that many purebloods anymore.

Girl
July 21st, 2003, 6:50 pm
I'm sure that today in Slytherin there are many who are not pure blood. Som of them might be half-blood or both parents wizards but grandparents might be half-blood. There are only so many pure bolld familys and if there were only pure bloods the Slytherin house would be very small. I think that in the start only pure bloods were taken but as time went on it changed.

As for Tom he was Heir to Slytherin. Also he has many other qualities that fited Slytherin.

HeLioS
July 21st, 2003, 7:07 pm
Well when you think about, there is no "perfect" Slytherin, Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, or Ravenclaw. Look at Hermione for instance. She had courage and bravery, so she got sorted into Gryffindor. Although she is a genius, one quality prized in Ravenclaw. She must have just had more qualities leaning toward Gryffindor and was put into that house.

Windy-kun
July 21st, 2003, 7:56 pm
Riddle wasn't a pureblood, but he was heir of Slytherin, so of course he's going to be in Slytherin. He also emphasizes being a pureblood a lot, and he has a lot of Slytherin-type qualities.

Lady Artemis
July 21st, 2003, 8:06 pm
Yeah I definatly think Riddle was abitious enough for Slytherin...what with wanting to be the most feared wizard in history and all. I think, taking into consideration that Riddle grows up to kill lots of muggle-born wizards, Slytherin would let it slide that he's half blood. Then there was that small fact that he was Slytherin's heir. Imagine if the sorting hat put him in Hufflepuff or something...
Riddle: *rips off hat and cries* I'M SORRY GRANDPA SLYTHERIN!

marspeach
July 21st, 2003, 9:05 pm
It said in book one that Voldemort was in Slytherin. I think the fact that he is the heir was more important than the fact that he was a half-blood.

vickygirl4
July 22nd, 2003, 9:03 am
yeah, I guess all of you are right . . . I just usually tend to take things very literally and disregard other information.
It's strange though, why would a half-blood hate other half-bloods and mugglebors so much?

Girl
July 22nd, 2003, 12:39 pm
Originally posted by vickygirl4 (original post (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?postid=475452#post475452))
It's strange though, why would a half-blood hate other half-bloods and mugglebors so much?

I don't think all Slytherins hate muggles and half-bloods. It is just a few like Malfloy and friends who do. Also we are seeing Slytherin from Harry's point of view and he has yet to meet a half good Slytherin. So far the only ones he hace meet are Malfloy and so others you are mean and evil.
There could be some Slytherins who are half-blood and mud-bloods who get along with muggles but we have not met them.

As for Voldermort, he was half-blood and hated muggles because his fater was one and his father has turned his back on his mother.

RavenclawsFinest
July 30th, 2003, 12:36 am
Is there any text in the books that states what house Tom Riddle was put in? The logical guess would be Slytherin, but I thought only pure-bloods were admitted into that house. Also, what's the deal with him being the Heir of Slytherin? If the heir was supposed to hate muggleborns and half breeds, shouldn't that mean Voldy hated himself.

I think he probably has some self-esteem issues.

By the way did any of the Death Eaters take time out to look at Voldemorts Lineage.

morgan le fay
July 30th, 2003, 12:43 am
these ideas have been touched on in other forums. but your specific question makes me wonder, too.

kind of hitler-ish of him to hate those of his own kind, so to say, dont ya think? o_O

also, someone in another thread brought up that when harry began to taunt bellatrix in ootp, saying something like "voldemort is a half blood too, did u know that?" or something like that, that maybe his d.e.'s really dont know about his lineage. who knows? guess we have to wait and see....

but if he wasnt in slytherin, as he is not a pure blood, my bet is that he was in gryffindor. as mr ollivander said, voldemort is a great wizard. terrible..... but great.

Shikyo
July 30th, 2003, 12:47 am
I've mentioned this before, and I'll mention it again: if the only qualification to be in Slytherin was being pure-blooded, there would be only fifty Slytherins total.

Furthermore, the hat would not have considered Harry, as seen in book 1 and 2. And Sirius Black would have been a Slytherin by default.

Tom Riddle might not have been pure blooded, but he had the other qualities that the first Slytherin prized above all others. A certain ruthlessness. Hitler liked tall blondes and he was rather small and dark.

morgan le fay
July 30th, 2003, 1:02 am
i dont think sirius would have been a slytherin by default if your logic is because he is a pure blood. there are other pure bloods who arent in slytherin. being a pure blood doesnt mean u MUST be in slytherin, but being in slytherin means u MUST be a pure blood. its kind of like how all squares are rectangles but not all rectangles are squares. ^_^

XanderTheMighty
July 30th, 2003, 1:32 am
I thought that in CoS you find out that Vodie/Tom was in Slytherin... maybe I got thrown off by the whole heir of Slytherin thing but I'm pretty sure he was in Slytherin.

Shikyo
July 30th, 2003, 1:48 am
i dont think sirius would have been a slytherin by default if your logic is because he is a pure blood.

Nooooooo, that's not it at all. I'm saying that the entire idea of the ONLY WIZARDS IN SLYTHERIN BEING PUREBLOODS is illogical, even by the wizarding standards.

The examples were only to say, "Look! Look! If only pureblood wizards are Slytherins, why was Harry considered? Why wasn't Sirius considered?! Huh? Huh?"

DaN+EmMa
July 30th, 2003, 1:56 am
yea voldy is super weird. how could he hate half bloods and stuff when he was one? very hippocritical of him. but yea that guy just got issues man. =/
-------------------
http://www.boomspeed.com/samisalesbo/letter http://www.boomspeed.com/samisalesbo/danthingy

http://a799.g.akamai.net/3/799/388/2096e233fe3f49/www.msnbc.com/news/1967804.jpg

proud daniel radcliffe and H/H shipper! =]

ssssalizar
July 30th, 2003, 5:35 am
As Shikyo said, Voldy likes pure-bloods in the exact same way that Hitler liked athletic, tall, blond-haird people (called 'arryans' I think- not sure on the spelling though).

I can't remember it saying anything about what house Riddle was in during CoS, but in the movie he is wearing Slytherin robes, and I can't see JKR letting them make a mistake like that if he wasn't in Slytherin.

Rhyno81
July 30th, 2003, 8:35 pm
actually its aryan. anywho, slytheryns have nothing to do with being pure blood, its just prefered. otherwise tom wouldnt be one, and harry wouldnt be considered for that house.

lemondrop
July 30th, 2003, 9:54 pm
[QUOTE=Shikyo]Furthermore, the hat would not have considered Harry, as seen in book 1 and 2. And Sirius Black would have been a Slytherin by default.
QUOTE]
That's right, the Hat wanted to put Harry in Slytherin but it was Harry that chose not to go in Slytherin.

jordmundt6
July 31st, 2003, 1:20 am
Yeah, it looks like Sirius made the same choice Harry did (probably to get as far away from his cousins as possible). As to the original question--Are you guys serious about this?:sigh:

Here goes. Tom had the ambition, the talent, and the disregard for rules. He was a Parselmouth. He was exceptionally bright, in a conniving sort of way. He had the bent toward evil. To cap it all, he had a direct blood link to Slytherin himself. Except for his unfortunate father, he was the ideal Slytherin student. Hitler parallel here? (rant about the master race when you, yourself aren't a part of it?)

moon781
July 31st, 2003, 11:29 pm
maybe theres something more to this by the whole harry being related to voldemort thing slytherins seem to value being pureblooded over anything else and obviously riddle was a slytherin b/c he was the heir

if this is true harry (not a pureblood) could have almost been chosen for slytherin if he had that family line as well..... just a thought

rons-lover
August 1st, 2003, 12:28 am
HE's SLYTHERIN'S HEIR DUH!!! And HARRY WAS CONSIDERED AND HE'S A HALF-BLOOD... SO WHY NOT? HE'LL USE ANY MEANS TO GET AHEAD AS WELL.!

Sorry for all the yelling.! :D

jordmundt6
August 1st, 2003, 12:32 am
Harry is not related to Slytherin by blood. Voldemort is the last living Heir to old Serpent-Tongue and he has no kids (yet). GRRR. I get so sick of saying this.

moon781
August 1st, 2003, 6:06 pm
i know that voldemort is supposed to be the last living heir of slytherin but you know in the harry potter world anything is possible

and their connection is just too strong and not explained well enough if u ask me so who knows...

jordmundt6
August 1st, 2003, 7:00 pm
Shrug. Almost anything is possible, but tying James Potter to Tom Riddle would require one of James' grandmothers to be Marvolo's heretofore unmentioned obedient daughter. There's no mention of other family members (like an aunt or an uncle). I have a feeling that Tom would have killed them too if they had existed and still been alive the summer after his fifth year. To date, Sirius is the only one to conjure a brother from thin air, and that brother is definitely dead and can have no real impact on the story.

moon781
August 2nd, 2003, 2:15 am
i was not trying to tie james potter to riddle

i am merely suggesting harry potter's tie to riddle is stronger than we all think

siriusgurl
August 2nd, 2003, 2:45 am
Well someone else mentioned Hitler (I don't remember who) He was all for squawshing out Jews when he was part Jew. I see the same thing for slytherins they talk about ideals but really their just bigots n gits.

Puffskein
August 2nd, 2003, 5:44 am
If only purebloods were in Slytherin, it would just be a default house for all the purebloods that don't fit anywhere else. That would make it a very small house.

vickygirl4
August 2nd, 2003, 6:46 am
I know JKR always says HArry is half blood, but I don't understand that, his parents were both magical.

And for all we know, Sirius could have been in SLytherin. It never says in the books which houses the marauders were in.

Black Dog
August 2nd, 2003, 12:29 pm
i think you can bank on the fact that the HEIR OF SLYTHERIN was in slytherin :D

rons-lover
August 3rd, 2003, 6:30 am
He is Slytherin's heir... Hmmmm I wonder why? :p

Robin
August 3rd, 2003, 10:08 am
CHOICE!!! Tom Riddle choose to be in Slytherin...

I don't think that the sorting hat places you in a house that you don't wan't to be in. It just places you in the house where you think you ought to be. Even if you don't have a clue in which house you should be in, the sorting hat looks over what you consider yourself to be. If you think you are cunning you get sorted into Rawenclaw, which is why many but not all (Hermione) cunning people go to Rawenclaw.

SiriusBlack
August 3rd, 2003, 12:28 pm
I don't think that's it though. I think the sorting hat even looks into the mind, to see if the person himself, but not his past is liable to be in a house. Sirius was too pure and brave of heart to go to slytherin. but Riddle, though not pureblood, was by his mind to be in slytherin.

rons-lover
August 3rd, 2003, 12:48 pm
Yeah, you're right... It wasn't really because he's Slytherins heir, but because of the Way Tom is and that he chose to be in Slytherin and of course the sorting hat saw that. Because as that other person said Hermione's cunning, but she chose to be in Gryffindor. Same for Harry he could've been in Slytherin, but he chose to be in Gryffindor. It doesn't matter what your blood is, pure blood, half-muggle, full-muggle. That's not what the sorting hat Cares about, that's what Slytherin himself cared about, the Sorting hats sorts based on what he thinks is best and what the people themselves choose.

So that is why Tom Riddle aka Voldemort was sorted into Slytherin.! :D

Auror Fett
August 3rd, 2003, 1:40 pm
Well, I don't really think it matters what blood you have to get in one of the houses. Riddle possed many of the qualities that Slytherin picked in his students. Riddle's abilities: He was determined and ruthless. He dispised half-bloods, even though he was one. He was heir of Slyrtherin after all! He had a certain disregard for the rules. Mostly all these I listed is what Dumbledore said about Riddle in the 2nd movie.

Drusilla
August 13th, 2003, 4:40 am
Tom Riddle was the HEIR OF SLYTHERIN!How could he go into any other house?

cruplover
August 13th, 2003, 9:21 am
Tom Riddle was in Slytherin because he embodied all the traits ascribed to that house. I don't think that everyone in Slytherin is evil, because when Hogwarts was founded, four very noble wizards each set up a house. Yes, Slytherin eventually left the school because of his pureblood mania, and that remains an issue to date. There has to be a reason DD and every other headmaster, all the way back to the other three founders, has allowed Slytherin to remain an option!!

NeuroComp
February 17th, 2004, 5:36 am
1) whoever posted that there would only be 50 students in slytherin if it was only purebloods. How do you know that? Do you know anything about arrangements and combinations and permutations? Also two people whoare related "10" generations back can still have children.
2) can someone quote the page from book 1 where it says that riddle was in slytherin cuz in OoP its says "whose ancestral is purest". Because I don't remember there ever was a talk about riddle and hogwarts in book 1.
3) the sorting hat is suppose to embody the choosing technique of all 4 greats wizards therefore slytherins should all be pure blood with long ancestral lines. because the hat does the bidding of the wizards.
4) I wonder if it is possible for people to change houses.
5) Tom riddle was head boy...will harry be?

6) it would would be great if JKR played dumbledore to be Tom riddles grandfather...and thats why he fears him.

imperator
February 17th, 2004, 8:01 am
I personally do NOT think that Slytherin house is wholly composed of pureblood students; because alluding to Hagrid's comment (CoS), "Why there isn't even a wizard today who isn't half-blood or less", if it is so then Slytherin would be extremely small in comparison to the other houses, which could accommodate halfbloods, muggleborns and even some purebloods whom do not possess Slytherinesque traits. *Perhaps* this was the case with Slytherin in the past, he only picked out purebloods in the ancient formative days of the school because they were so many more pureblooded wizards those days. But if this tradition was carried out I don't think the House of Slytherin could have survived, except if they could suffer having only a few students (Malfoy and a few others).

True, Tom Riddle is not a pureblood - but he (as a student) possessed qualities which Dumbledore said were favored by Serpentounge himself; determination, ruthlessness, a certain tendency to disregard rules...and he is SLYTHERIN'S HEIR for goodness' sake. Really, if Serpentounge himself was still alive do you think he'd have cared about his grandson's magical parentage that much as to disallow one of his own bloodline from entering his house? Riddle possesses many Slytherin qualities, is Slytherin's Heir and hates halfbloods. That is a good enough reason, if you consider my theory above as to why being a halfblood doesn't necessarily prevent you from getting into Slytherin.

NeuroComp
February 17th, 2004, 4:55 pm
its not true that slytherin would be small if only purebloods...
Think about it.
1) hogwarts is what 1000-1500? years old
2) AD is 150 so they live to be old and maybe some have kids around 50
3) its all about the genetic family tree...people could breed if they're relations is like 10+ generations.
4) You could be related to someone by 1/2^15 of blood thats very small.
5) draw it on paper start with say 1000+ wizards and start marriaging them
to reproduce offspring and keep mixing and matching. you could produce
roughly 50 generations worth of a family tree in the 1000 yrs that hogwarts was born

Helena Epans
September 24th, 2004, 1:01 am
Tom Riddle was in Slytherin!!!! Voldemort chose to be in Slytherin like someone up there said. Tom is a Slytherin!

Hermione is book smart never said that she was cunning.

BloodyBlackRose
September 24th, 2004, 1:59 am
Yes, I agree with people. He was destined to be in that house. Plus he fit all the characteristics. It just makes perfect sense.

Helena Epans
September 24th, 2004, 2:07 am
yes Tom was definantly destined for Slytherin my favorite house. i like Tom I feel sympathy for him maybe that's why he's my favorite character. Yeah he definantly fit the charatorisitics than again so do I lol.

Kobila
September 24th, 2004, 2:10 am
could you imagine him being in any other house?..hufflepuff maybe?
laughs at him being in my house ..anyways the closest house he could have been in other than slytherin would have to be ravenclaw.. i know alot of ppl think gryffindor because he and Harry are so a like but i wouldnt see him as a brave person..but he is very clever.

HermioneLuna
September 24th, 2004, 6:08 am
In the Sorting Hat's new song, it says "Slytherin took only pure-blood wizards . . .", but Tom Riddle was a half-blood. So eventhough he was cunning and evil, by definition, he should not have been in Slytherin, since only pure bloods are in slytherin.

Yes, when Slytherin was alive, he took only pureblood wizards. Now Slytherin is dead and the sorting hat has to decide who belongs in Slytherin house. There are certain attributes that witches and wizards may have that would place them in Slytherin even if their blood isn't "pure" enough for that house. Most likely almost all of the members of Slytherin house are Pureblood, but Tom had the blood of Slytherin. He was Slytherin's heir, so of course he would be accepted into Slytherin.

Wep
September 24th, 2004, 6:15 am
I don't think pure bloods would be the only ones accepted, though I would say they would make up 90% of Slytherin. I think in that case it shows Riddle had so many of the qualities Slytherin looked for, in abundant amounts

PotionsPunk
October 18th, 2004, 7:29 pm
I don't think pure bloods would be the only ones accepted, though I would say they would make up 90% of Slytherin. I think in that case it shows Riddle had so many of the qualities Slytherin looked for, in abundant amounts
I agree. In "todays" age Pure-blood wizards are hard to come by. Like Hagrid said: "There isn't a wizard alive that isn't half blood or less". Not to mention if Tom was the Heir of Slytherin the fact that he wasn't pure can be over-looked. Besides, how do we know his mother wasn't?

MiniFawkes
January 14th, 2005, 11:46 pm
Er... we're all debating about why Tom would be put in Slytherin despite the fact that he's not pure-blood. But... how do we even know he was ever in Slytherin? Does it say he was? We're just assuming.

huckleberry
January 15th, 2005, 5:49 am
Yeah That made me confused too but he's the heir of salazar right??

harryrules
January 15th, 2005, 8:18 am
'Bet I'm in Hufflepuff,' said Harry gloomily.
Better Hufflepuff than Slytherin,' said Hagrid darkly. 'There's not a single witch or wizard who went bad who wasn't in Slytherin. You-Know-Who was one.'
'Vol-sorry- You-Know-Who was at Hogwarts?'
'Years an' years ago,' said Hagrid." (SS/PS 61-62)
Voldemort=Tom Riddle=SLYTHERIN!!!

i think the sorting hat sees/looks for qualities in a person, not their families history or if you're pure-blood or not.

RemusLupinFan
January 15th, 2005, 3:30 pm
I agree that Tom Riddle certainly had an overwhelming number of traits that Salazar Slytherin prized in his students: cunning, ambition, desire for power. It’s probably true that the fact that Riddle was the Heir of Slytherin was more important than the fact that he was a half-blood, and that this factored quite a bit into Riddle’s placement in Slytherin. Riddle also likely had at least the beginnings of anti-muggle sentiments due to his father’s abandonment of him. Plus, Riddle was a Parselmouth. All of these factors are reasons enough for Riddle to be sorted into Slytherin, but I believe the most important reason might have been Riddle’s choice, the ever-prevailing theme in JK’s books. I feel that Riddle made a conscious choice to be in Slytherin based on many of these attributes and abilities that he possessed.

LilCubanita67
January 15th, 2005, 6:46 pm
Or perhaps in Slytherin
You'll make your real friends,
Those cunning folk use any means
To achieve their ends.
Tom Riddle had Hagrid expelled from school just so that he could keep his record clean and not look like the bad guy. He did whatever he could to make sure that he got what he wanted, even if it was to get a friend in trouble.

Said Slytherin, "We'll teach just those
Whose ancestry is purest."
This is the one where I don't understand how Riddle got into Slytherin. He wasn't a pureblood at all. His father was a muggle. But he did have the other qualities that Slytherin required.

Just because you're put into a house doesn't mean that you have every quality that the house asks for. Hermione is smart but she wasn't put in Ravenclaw. Ron didn't seem so brave and courageous when he was around a lot of gigantic spiders in COS.

Enervate
January 15th, 2005, 7:14 pm
I don't think you have to be purebloods always to get to Slytherin. I guess 99% of Slyths are pure bloods and rarely you might find a half blood [ The half-blood would have a hard time with other Slyths, of course ]. 1 in a million chance for mudbloods.

Tom Riddle was an exception. He's got Salazar Slytherins blood - all the slyth qualities. The hat would surely out him in Slytherin.

http://nimbo.net/quiz/slyth.gif

ArtemisiaDax
January 16th, 2005, 5:00 am
There's a chart on the Internet somewhere (I think I saw the link to a screen-capture in one of the forums here) where JKR had a hand-written list of students showing their parentage, and some of the Slytherins (I think Millicent Bulstrode was one) were half-bloods. There were no Slytherin muggleborns on that list.
If you were Slytherin, you'd probably keep it quiet, or try to find other half-bloods in your House. I think that the percentage of half-bloods must be higher than 1%, given that purebloods are small in number.
Riddle, personality-wise, was about as Slytherin as you get (plus there's the whole Heir of Slytherin thing...although I wonder how Salazar Slytherin would feel about having a half-blood as his heir?)

TheMagicHat
January 16th, 2005, 6:09 am
I personally think it all boils down to choice. As Dumbledore said: "It is our choices, Harry, that shows what we truly are, far more than our abilities." Harry chose definitely not to be in Slytherin, despite the Sorting Hat saying he'd do well there, so he was Sorted into Gryffindor. Hermione chose Gryffindor, despite being brilliant (though she said that "Ravenclaw wouldn't be so bad"). Malfoy wanted to go into Slytherin and nowhere else. I think Riddle chose Syltherin and was sorted there as a result, despite his half-blood. I'm sure his relation to Salazar Slytherin played a large role in the sorting, but I think he wanted to go there as well.

runitsandrew
January 16th, 2005, 6:17 am
1. He's ambitious
2. He's the Heir of Salazar Slytherin

Other than those two I don't see much of other reasons to why he'd be in it. He doesn't exactly fit into any other House's either.

Lucybird
January 16th, 2005, 12:54 pm
Cause he was Slytherin's heir ofcourse! Can you really imagine the hat putting Slytherin's heir in a different house?

JakeOfRavenclaw
January 16th, 2005, 1:11 pm
Well, there is the fact the he was the heir of SLYTHERIN...

Also, there are so few pure-bloods left that it would be pretty much impossible for Slytherin to exist...and of course not all pure-bloods go to slytherin. People who have the traits of slytherin are going to get in whether or not they're pure blood...otherwise where would they go?

enchantedgerbil
January 16th, 2005, 1:20 pm
Slytherin himself only took pureblood wizards. When the sorting had was made maybe it was built to let a few exceptions or...

We all know that Voldemort is a superb Legilimens. If he was also an Occlumens on the day he was sorted, which is likely, he could've blocked that bit of information out from the Sorting Hat.

cassyopaya
January 16th, 2005, 1:40 pm
"Slytherin wished to be more selective about the students admitted to Hogwarts. He believed that magical learning should be kept within all-magic families. He disliked taking students of Muggle parentage, believing them to be untrustworthy." (pg.164/165 Cos, Bloomsbury edition)

I think this shows that half-bloods can be sorted into Slytherin, too. It might not be as easy as it is for pure-bloods but it´s only the Muggle-born who aren´t allowed to get in.
Harry´s sorting showed us, that it´s the students abilities and (even more) their choices that put them into a house.
Tom Riddle is Slytherin´s heir. That should have been much more important to the Sorting Hat then his muggle-father.

dawningoftime
January 16th, 2005, 7:39 pm
If he denied his muggle heritage and embracing his wizard heritage the sorting hat would see that. I'd put money on the fact he never told anyone that he had a muggle father if he loathed him so.

Psycho
January 16th, 2005, 7:43 pm
agree with dawningoftime
also coupled with that he is the heir of Slytherin, and he is not brave like Gryffindors (he's scared of dying for pete sake :p) then i think he would almost always be sorted Slytherin.

Auror Fett
January 16th, 2005, 8:01 pm
Just because Salazar Slytherin preferred young witches/wizards of pureblood status doesn't necessarily mean the hat would too. The reason Tom was placed in Slytherin is revealed in CoS, somewhere along the last few chapters. Dumbledore stated that Tom possessed many of the Slytherin qualities, such as determination, resourfulness, and a certain disregard for the rules. He was also a parselmouth, as Slytherin was. Also, he was the Heir of Slytherin and was related to Salazar. Besides, IF Slytherin house only takes purebloods, then why did the Sorting Hat almost put Harry, a half-blood, in there if it wasn't for his request to put him anywhere but Slytherin?

Musereader
February 24th, 2005, 10:55 pm
Why does EVERYBODY have this misconception that to be in Slytherin you have to be pure blood? Salazar wanted only purebloods but the only criteria for the hat is ambition
GoF Sorting hat song - And power-hungry Slytherin, Loved those of great ambition.
PS song Or perhaps in Slytherin, You'll make your real friends, Those cunning folk use any means, To achieve their ends.
OotP song - For each of the four founders had
A House in which they might
Take only those they wanted, so,
For instance, Slytherin
Took only pure-blood wizards
Of great cunning, just like him,

Ok, only in the OotP song does it mention purebloods, and that was only because Salazar picked them. after he left the hat has the intructions to look for the traits in the other two songs.

gabrielle_004
July 1st, 2005, 4:34 am
But didn't Tom Riddle have the blood of Salazar Slytherin. They sorting hat might have overlooked the fact that he was halfblood because he is a decendent of Salazar Slytherin.

Yeah I have to agree. If your great-great-great (times it by 1000 here) -great-granddaddy founded one of the houses, I would say you have a shoe-in to the house.

aaron016
July 1st, 2005, 4:37 am
Even though he wasn't pure blood he probably has such strong Slytherin qualities that the Hat choose to overlook this fact. Also he is, after all, Salazar Slytherin's descendant.

icklibogg
July 1st, 2005, 4:47 am
i believe we underestimate the sorting hat. it could probably sense tom's "inner voldemort", and the fact that he's slytherin's heir doesn't hurt his chances any

dizzyaffect
July 1st, 2005, 9:49 pm
even though he's not a pure blood..i think he had enough evil in him to look past that..

Fairchild_W
July 1st, 2005, 11:18 pm
Since Tom was the Heir of Slytherin, I am sure he most likey be put in Slytherin.

Wimsey
July 2nd, 2005, 12:15 am
JKR has noted that occassionally (albeit very rarely) Muggle-borns are put into Slytherin.

Also, Harry is a half-blood and the Sorting Hat considered putting him in Slytherin.

waleelaw
July 22nd, 2005, 2:16 pm
Well, I think we can safely say that Tom Riddle possesed a lot of the qualities of Salazar Slytherin- he was a parselmouth, for example. Also the fact that he was a direct descendent of Salazar, and that his whole family was pure right up until his mother married a muggle. The Sorting Hat will have picked up that, along with Riddle's already-formed love for darkness and crime... two things related with Slytherin house members.

elishac
July 22nd, 2005, 2:40 pm
He was Slytherin's heir for crying out loud course he was going to be in slytherin there was no doubt there :rolleyes:

horcrux_13
July 22nd, 2005, 2:49 pm
He was realated to Slytherin, he was always going to get put into Slytherin.

mercury_may
July 22nd, 2005, 3:00 pm
I am always impressed when people pick up on little details like that! (You will have to forgive me...I am an English teacher and get really excited about things like that.) I probably would not have picked up on that until I reread the book again. Good for you! :tu:

lollypop
July 22nd, 2005, 3:35 pm
He was the heir of Slytherin.

CreamDonut
July 22nd, 2005, 11:46 pm
Hi, I didn't look at this thread much because I am short on time, but in COS it said Tom was in Hufflepuff (I think cause of half-blood) and in the movie he has a hufflepuff robe but in HBP it says he was in slytherin(?). But I agree, he should be in Slytherin.

krazeee_kween
July 22nd, 2005, 11:56 pm
his mother was the direct descendant of Salazaar Slytherin. Besides, he hated all Muggles, and he did everything in his power to denounce his Muggle father. Alot of people didn't even know he was a half blood. Most people simply assumed he was pure blood ecause of his ideals and the mere fact that he WAS placed in Slytherin house.

MorbidAngel
July 23rd, 2005, 12:04 am
Slytherin might have favoured pure bloods, but the Hat doesn't care. If the Hat thinks somebody's a Slytherin then, by God, they're a Slytherin :lol:

Indeed

Fellyphone
July 23rd, 2005, 12:07 am
Tom Riddle was an heir to Salazar Slytherin so it made sense that he was sorted to the Slytherin House even though he wasn't a pure blood.

On that same token, Snape wasn't a pure blood but wasn't he Slytherin as well?

emily105
July 23rd, 2005, 2:31 am
Even though Tom Riddle was a half-blood, he was the Heir of Slytherin through his mother's side of the family. There's also the fact that he hated Muggles due to how his own father had left his mother before he was born. Having Slytherin's blood brought down to him from generation to generation mixed with hatred towards his father and pretty much all Muggles on the planet would make him perfect to be put in Slytherin house.

Spirit
July 23rd, 2005, 4:37 am
Even if Voldemort wasn't the Heir of Slytherin, I still think he would have gotten into the Slytherin House. Voldemort is extremely ambitious and disliked his muggle heritage from an early age.

jenny_d_b
July 23rd, 2005, 3:19 pm
I've always assumed that to mean that Slytherin himself, when he was still at the school, took just pure-blood wizards, but that when he left, the other founders didn't find it that important and removed that demand to enter the Slytherin house.

hey123
July 23rd, 2005, 3:24 pm
yea he was in slytherin
how was he so evil because he was slytherin!

power to the users!

xNessax
July 23rd, 2005, 5:54 pm
I always saw the Sorting Hat as seeing the potential Tom Riddle had as a wizard, and how he could eventually bring destruction to the wizarding world. That Hat saw that Riddle had the qualities of Salazar Slytherin, therefore placing him in the Slytherin House. And, of course, why would he be put in Ravenclaw if he was the Heir of the Slytherin? Logically, it makes sense as well.

ateenangel
July 23rd, 2005, 6:38 pm
The Sorting Hat is brilliant. It knows all. Of course it saw Tom's inner slytherin. We must now bow down to the Sorting Hat. BOW YOU FOOLS!

PunkRockGirl
July 23rd, 2005, 6:49 pm
If you have read the sixth book, the way Tom acts when he found out he was a wizard and even before that. He wanted to prove him self. And he is part of the Slytherin blood line.

Robb
July 23rd, 2005, 6:56 pm
It really threw me off that in Chamber when Diary Riddle was talking to Harry, he emphacized how all the teachers thought he was so brave.

For that, I thought a good case could have been made for him being in Gryffindor, but I bet him being the descendant of Slytherin probably kept him in the green and silver.

tehooper42
July 23rd, 2005, 7:20 pm
He was the heir of Slytherin! He was the last living relative of Salezar Slytherin....close enough to a pure-blood....he still acted like one and had evil-intent.

FireSlytherin
July 23rd, 2005, 11:35 pm
As it was stated in HBP Tom Riddle no w known as voldemort came to his powers at a very early age. he tortured children and possible adults alike. He wanted power and hungered for it. He had the qualifing traits of a Slytherin. he disliked half bloods because he hims self is a half blood and his mother died and abandones him for she had fallen for a muggle and his father left his family not knowing that his mother was pregnant because he didnt turely love him. His childhood, practically his entire life was distroyed because of a muggle and a muggle loving witch. So to him hlaf bloods are nothing but trouble. And Salazar Slytherin beleived in the only pure blood should live because they were strong. Look what happened to his mother and father. Loving muggles, or even beeing a muggle is a sign of weaness. And he thursed for strength, vengance, and power.

Turin
July 23rd, 2005, 11:38 pm
As fellyfone pointed out, you don't necessarily have to be pure-blood, but I believe as JK pointed out in the interview Emerson made - the hat reflects the person's inner mind and their true spirits. So in essence, Tom had all the attributes of Pure-blood and lacked none (so far pointed out) which would have made him appear 'impure'. Same with Snape, he was half-blood too but that didn't necessarily mean he was disqualified from Slytherines.

Oh and its a good idea to look at Harry - he had a bit of Voldy in him, so abit of the Heir of Slytherin in him, but his true nature won him a place in Griffindor.

Turin. :)

emily105
July 28th, 2005, 6:38 pm
If you have read the sixth book, the way Tom acts when he found out he was a wizard and even before that. He wanted to prove him self. And he is part of the Slytherin blood line.

When I read that chapter in Half-Blood Prince, I was actually a little bit shocked and surprised because I didn't expect Tom to act that violently towards others at such a young age (if I'm spoiling it for you, I apologize). I mean, he even knew what he was doing and how to control his magic. But I guess it's just the way he was as a child.

Jenny_apples
July 28th, 2005, 7:32 pm
But Tom Riddle had some of Slytherins blood in him so wouldn't that make him a Slytherin from when he was born? :huh:

Greeney
July 28th, 2005, 8:43 pm
The simple answer:
Because he was interested in Slytherin's past, he heard of how Slytherin could speak Parseltongue which Im sure is his first reason for choosing and then there were things he found like the Chamber of Secrets. Harry went to Gryffindor because he heard it was the best from friends, I'm sure Tom felt that way too.

Hilary
July 28th, 2005, 9:10 pm
But Tom Riddle had some of Slytherins blood in him so wouldn't that make him a Slytherin from when he was born? :huh:

Yes it is true Tom Riddle had Slytherin blood since when he was born from his mother. Harry who has Slytherin blood also because Voldemort transfered some of his powers to him the night he failed to kill him still chose to be in Gryffindor. It is our choices that show who we truly are. Tom Riddle being a descendant of Salazar Slytherin could easily have chosen not to be in Slytherin House but he wanted to.

Hilary :p :blush:

ylh98
July 28th, 2005, 9:15 pm
Let's imagine if it was not the sorting hat but Salazar Slytherin himself choosing the students, would he choose Tom Riddle? I think so. Tom had all the Slytherin qualities and he was a Parselmouth and he was Salazar Slytherin's family member, and although he was half-blood, he despited half-blood like Sytherin did.

FizzingWhizB
July 28th, 2005, 9:17 pm
I'd say pure-blood is less of a literal classification and more of an attitude. Look at the Weasleys and Sirius Black. They're pure-blood, but they don't exhibit the typical haughtiness associated with those who treasure their pure lineage.
Tom Riddle didn't need to be pure-blooded to have the mentality. Remember, Slytherins also prize ambition above all else. So Tom Riddle's realization that he was the heir of Slytherin was one of the driving forces behind his ambition and his desire to disassociate himself with half-bloods.

simplylisa22
July 28th, 2005, 9:23 pm
well it's like Hagrid says: "there isnt a wizard alive today who isnt half-blood or less" the "purebloods" are really half-bloods that cross squibs and muggleborns off the family tree. besides, he has a lot of the other qualities that Slytherin requires

Malgoroth
July 28th, 2005, 9:27 pm
Heir of Slytherin anyone? I guess that mattered a lot more than being a half-blood.

siriusfriend
July 28th, 2005, 9:30 pm
Heir of Slytherin anyone? I guess that mattered a lot more than being a half-blood.
Exactly!
And besides, I have a feeling that the actual definition of "pureblood" would not only change over time but would depend upon with whom you were speaking.
Other considerations would have to be taken into account, as well. For example, the Weasley family is pureblood but they are also known "muggle lovers" so that wouldn't work out at all!

Red_Magic
July 28th, 2005, 10:17 pm
I think its pretty obvious, being related to Slytherin is more then enough reason to put him in that house, not to mention he had the qualities of Slytherin himself so being half blood really didn't matter.

gertiekeddle
July 28th, 2005, 11:29 pm
Heir of slytherin is much enough - but why was Snape at Slytherin? Or wasn't he? Just your own decisions that count...?

sirius_gerl
July 29th, 2005, 12:13 am
Tom was the heir of Slytherin, not to mention the hat was bound to see how evil he was. I mean, he didn't exactly treat people with much respect.

RavenclawGlen
July 29th, 2005, 12:26 am
My quick thoughts on the matter:

1.) Because being as twisted as he was already at the time, he didn't belong anywhere else.

2.) He was the Heir of Slytherin

3.) The Sorting Hat had a mind of its own. In the Order of the Phoenix song, the Hat openly expresses its worry and reluctance to do its job/fulfill its purpose of Sorting Students according to the Founders' expressed wishes. I think after Salazar left, and the other Founders died; the Sorting Hat started taking a few liberties. I mean, it has to put every student somewhere. And in certain cases (I mean honestly, how DID Pettigrew end up in Gryffindor anyway? *Note: I haven't read HBP, so if I really am mistaken in that, my apologies) it becomes a case of which House is the *least* wrong for them.

Besides, if the Hat were to put ONLY Purebloods in Slytherin, then Slytherin House would probably be MUCH much smaller. And... well never mind. I can bring up that example yet. >.O;

Lauren7118
July 29th, 2005, 12:52 am
Even though he WAS 1/2 blood, he was the heir of slytherin, I'm sure the hat sensed that in some crazy way!

Caelesta
July 29th, 2005, 4:30 am
I had often wondered if he even was in Slytherin. No one I trusted had ever actually said he was...but anyway...now we know what we know about Snape, we know that Slytherin house definitely isn't full of just full bloods.

USARUGBY
July 29th, 2005, 4:49 am
TR had the blood of Salazar Slytherin in his veins. Putting him in any other house would have been unthinkable

MionesRevenge
July 29th, 2005, 4:50 am
Tom Riddle wasn't...and isn't...the only half-blood in Slytherin. Though in the beginning purebloods were probably the only ones allowed in, through the years it most likely changed because the number of pureblooded wizards was dropping. Muggle-born wizards were most likely never sorted into slytherin, but half-blooded ones were.

It's been said a thousand times before, but also, he was the heir of slytherin. He also came to hate muggles and instead, valued his wizarding ancestry. He also is clever and cunning, ideal traits for a Slytherin.

gertiekeddle
July 29th, 2005, 9:04 am
RavenclawGlen,
just can't remember - is it ever said Wormtail has picked up to Gryffindore...?

Aushun
July 29th, 2005, 9:13 am
Snape was a half blood as well, so it's not a question of blood. Tom Riddle being the Heir of Slytherin should be a good enough explanation.

RavenclawGlen
July 29th, 2005, 12:12 pm
RavenclawGlen,
just can't remember - is it ever said Wormtail has picked up to Gryffindore...?

Well I always thought that J.K.Rowling's word on the matter was that ALL the maurauder's were in Gryffindor.

gertiekeddle
July 29th, 2005, 12:34 pm
Ah, thank you - I suspected some wrong way by JK creating just the impression Wormtail has to be in Gryffindor. But think I remember the marauders were all in Gryffindor as you told. Thanks. (And another theorie is closed...;-)

If you believe the words the sorting hat has said since the OotP (the houses should forget their rivalities), the hat maybe knows better than we do (I'm sure he does) that there are still possibilities to change your house or - to make it clear - if the sorting to the houses is not such an important thing we think now and as you can see by sorting halfbloods like Voldi, Snape and probably some others in Slytherin, it might be possible that there are no longer houses in Hogwarts after fighting and killing Voldi. (If Harry reach this aim, but I think he'll do...in some way).
Otherwise JK said she tried really hard to sort everyone right...but maybe this is the wrong way...maybe I'm just expecting too much delusionals!

mal
July 29th, 2005, 1:16 pm
He was one of the last hiers to Salazar Slytherin; if he's a decendent of someone that powerful, he'd have to be put in his house.

b3belamb
August 4th, 2005, 5:35 am
he was put into slytherin because he had most of the qualities the house was looking for. Tom was power hungry, ambitious, and he was the true heir of Slytherin, so naturally, he would be sorted into that house.

Greeney
August 4th, 2005, 6:01 am
He was cunning & ambitous and probably already had his mind set to be in Slytherin.

Camangren
August 4th, 2005, 6:12 am
Not only was he cunning and ambitious, but he also spoke Parseltongue and was Slytherin's heir. By the way he hates muggles and thinks they are less worthy than the wizards just like Slytherin himself thought.

Oddsbodikins
August 4th, 2005, 6:31 am
Tom Riddle was sorted into Slytherin because he possessed all of the qualities that Salazar Slytherin did. Not only in his personality, but he also spoke Parseltongue, and he was a direct descendant of Slytherin himself. I think Salazar Slytherin normally only took pure bloods, but I don't think he would let a direct descendant of his be Sorted into another house.

gertiekeddle
August 4th, 2005, 7:59 am
HBP Spoilers not allowed here.

...this was my last post. Oh oh, sorry, I wrote one sentence in my former post which would spoile you, I'm very sorry that I didn't realize this by writing (thank you runitsandrew).

I just wanted to say (without spoiling now) that there are not only the bad or evil things that will put you in Slytehrin. Harry nearly become a Slytherin (o.k., there's the sonnection to Voldi) and he's a halfblood. Think of how many families with pure blood still alive not all Slytherins can be pure blood. And try to find out for yourself who was in Slytherin, but isn't a pure blood. There must be more to be sorted and the 'beeing-pureblood' must be less important.

Liam_Love
August 5th, 2005, 4:03 pm
gd que.
dont know

vapormist
August 5th, 2005, 4:07 pm
Actually, as far as I know, the Sorting Hat is Gryffindors. And GG was definitely one that fought for muggleborns rights. So maybe, while Slytherin would not have taken half-bloods such as Voldemort, Gryffindors hat sees the other qualities Slytherin prized in them and places them in the house? And then, Voldemort is the heir of Slytherin, after all.

Obi
August 5th, 2005, 4:47 pm
Or perhaps those in Slytherin
You'll make your real friends,
Those cunning folk use any means
To achieve their ends.

Sorting Hat

Well I don't think I need to explain a lot more.
Tom Riddle was cunning and clearly DID use any means to achieve his ends

hdhp5
August 5th, 2005, 8:49 pm
Tom Riddle was related to Salazar Slytherin, wasn't he? So that must've been overlooked. And he was awfully greedy as J.K. has described and wants the greatest, so even if you didn't know he was in Slytherin to me it'd be a mighty easy guess because the way he is in the books he seems really greedy. (And also, he refers to himself as a 'lord.' Oookay... can I just point out something there are many people others are afraid of they don't refer to themselves as Lords... I guess that told me he's kind of full of himself.)

Bootey
August 5th, 2005, 9:02 pm
Well even thought he wasnt pure-blood he still had the blood of Salazar Slytherin in his veins, so im gussing that is why. He is the HEIR OF SLYTHERIN! Also he had all the traits of a Slytherin just like Obi pointed out.

Calla_Lily
August 5th, 2005, 9:05 pm
well he was the heir of slytherin but snape is half-blood and was also in slytherin

allure
August 5th, 2005, 9:31 pm
Snape, like Riddle was in Slytherin too.

Maryla114
August 5th, 2005, 9:35 pm
I think the keyword there is TOOK. in the past, pure-blood wizards were much more prevalent in society than they are in the time of the books. If only purebloods could be let into Slytherin during the 20th century, they'd have none left at all, plus look at how many pure-bloods aren't slytherin: All the Weasleys, Ernie MacMillon, and I'm sure there are more. Even in Tom Riddle's time, Slytherin had to take some half-bloods in order to survive.

daddylonglegs
August 5th, 2005, 10:12 pm
the fact is tom riddle cared about the purity of blood, he was aslo ambitious, the heir of slytherin, put himself in front of others, and would use any means to get what he wanted. i think that all pure bloods are not quite as pure as the say they are and if slytherin took only the very purest of pure bloods it would be a small house considering that other pureblood families opt for different houses (e.g. the weasleys). i doubt anything under half-blood would get nto slytherin, but i think the hat looks for the other qualities as well as blood and tom riddle had them all.

PhoenixSong27
August 5th, 2005, 10:15 pm
but tom riddle was slytherin's last living decendent.

MischiefMaker
August 5th, 2005, 10:15 pm
Although he was a half-blood, his heart was filled with malice, hatred and cruel intentions. These are the important qualities of a true Slytherin heir.

Mrs_Malfoy001
August 5th, 2005, 10:22 pm
He was the Heir of Slytherin obviously he's going to be put into Slytherin,the hat most likely overlooked the fact that he was a halfblood, also if you've read the 6th book, when Dumbledore is showing Harry Tom Riddle's sorting,the hat is barely put on his head before he makes a descision.

catnip007
August 7th, 2005, 11:30 pm
Tom speaks Parseltouge, loves the dark arts, and loves to succed. All are key characteristics of Slytherin House. He is also Slytherin's heir. And let's go back to what Dumbledore said, "It is our choices that make us who we are, far more than our abilities."

Quintilian
August 7th, 2005, 11:41 pm
I know spoilers of book 6 aren't allowed here, but in book 6 Dumbledore answers this question and there's really no disputing the answer, so there's no real point to continue arguing. It's in the chapter called a Sluggish Memory, on page 360, middle of the fourth paragraph, and there is no arguing it.

AleFett
August 8th, 2005, 12:21 am
Duh not a good question but is because he is Voldemort and Slitheryn's blood, parzel, etc.

Quintilian
August 8th, 2005, 12:26 am
I think even if he wasn't Slytherin's heir or a parselmouth, he'd still be in Slytherin, since his character fits the house perfectly. He'll do anything to achieve his ends, he's all about himself, he hates muggles. He's a Slytherin through and through.

trumpet010
August 8th, 2005, 12:34 am
i think tom riddle might have been in slythjherin because he has alot of slytherini qualities in him .....he can speak to snakes .. but the biggest one is said in book six

also he looks out for himself .. and he hates all no magical folks .. and he hates half blood wizards ..

Ewan_Rosely
August 8th, 2005, 12:37 am
I'm not really sure but the Slytherin house does fit him even if he wasn't pure blood and plus he was the heir of Slytherin.

Sebatom
August 8th, 2005, 1:23 am
Forgive if any of my arguments have been noted on here before but I have not had a chance to read over every post.

The very nature of the sorting is to split and segregate those put before it, into four distinctive types of persona. These four distinct houses have important traits which are necessary to there very nature. Slytherin, the centre of this discussion, I believe seems to favour those individuals who are incredibly direct and centred within themselves; those who are driven by personal gain and indeed put themselves ahead of others. I think this idea ultimately personifies itself with the almost blind ambition shown by a good number Slytherin’s to achieving what they feel there highest goal will be in life. I personally feel that this trait above all else is what drew Riddle to Slytherin. Riddle seems to me is a startlingly ambitious character and certainly reflects in himself a key trait of the Slytherin house.

Another supposed deciding factor is of course the bloodline of Tom Riddle himself which pulls him clearly towards the House of Slytherin. I do not however, as some others have stated, believe this to be such an integral element to his selection in Slytherin. By stating this as the key factor you would then have to presume that it is the past and your roots which dictate your house selection; this I believe is a flawed response. There are notable exceptions which show that your family lineage does not dictate your house selection. Sirius did not go into Slytherin and the Patil twins did not join each other in the same house. These are obvious exceptions to the rule and highlight another key factor which Dumbledore makes. He states in some form I cannot remember word for word that, It is our choices that dictate our lives. It is what we become not what we are born to be that is important.

This idea I think perfectly outlines what the sorting hat does. It looks upon character and not lineage. A fine example of this is with our main protagonist Harry who if memory serves me correctly was initially selected for Slytherin. There was no mention of Gryffindor until Slytherin was wholly rejected. Harry's parents were Gryffindor’s (at least his dad was) but that did not factor with the sorting Hats initial decision. It was Harry's CHOICE that made him suitable for Gryffindor. In my opinion there was very little else that factored in. Harry was not I believe born a Gryffindor but grew to be one. Just as Riddle was not born a Slytherin but grew to be one. His personality reflected Slytherin and so that was his destination. Sirius' personality reflected that of Gryffindor and not the ambitious and racist qualities of Slytherin

There seems a highly fine and complex nuance behind the sorting hat which is quite fascinating. It is interesting that there are four particular houses to sort into and in its basic form there is little to squabble and discuss. However I leave you all with a few interesting questions. Do you think that these four houses can cater to the highly varying nature of humanity? Also is it not worrying, if my hypothesis is true, that the sorting hat was so initially disposed to putting Harry in Slytherin?

Forgive if my argument is a bit un-centred and for want of a better phrase 'all over the place'. I was becoming increasingly tired as I wrote the message but had to plough on, mainly to keep my mind at rest. I'm not one for leaving a job unfinished!

Peace Out :tu:

DDsDaughter
August 8th, 2005, 2:12 am
Do you think that these four houses can cater to the highly varying nature of humanity? Also is it not worrying, if my hypothesis is true, that the sorting hat was so initially disposed to putting Harry in Slytherin?

I would say that you would probably be sorted into Ravenclaw! I didn't find your arguments at all wandering but very well thought out.

Anywho, I am intrigued by the first question. Can all human beings (Magical or Muggle) be categorized aptly into the four houses at Hogwarts? I think maybe so. It is the predominant personality traits that the sorting hat uses to choose a house. Those traits had to be infused into the hat by the four founders--each who exemplified at least one of the traits. We would expect Godric to be courageous, Rowena to be intelligent, Helga to be loyal and Salazar to be self-serving and everything JKR has told us about them has proven that this is so. The founders had to select traits that would be common enough in pre-teens to deem the hat worthwhile. They chose those most likely to be present in a young wizard or witch in that stage of development. Then, the teaching and experiences of the different house would temper and foster the traits peculiar to that house. Hmm. It is intriguing.

As for your second question, it is a trifle troubling that the hat wanted to place Harry in Slytherin. And when Harry questions it in COS the hat stands by its choice. I can only believe that Harry was initially placed in Slytherin because he was totally reliant on himself by this time--getting nothing from Petunia and Vernon. You would have thought that the hat would have felt his insecurity (he was really worried about the "test" he might have to perform you may recall). Maybe the hat sensed his determination not to be in Slytherin--that single-mindedness of purpose that seems to characterize the Slytherin students.

To me it is obvious why Tom Riddle was in Slytherin. I would have to post a spoiler in order to answer that completely however and I will not do that. In any case, I really enjoyed this thread. It really made me think.

ilovecedric
August 8th, 2005, 2:21 am
Maybe because he was the heir of Slytherin... also because the sorting hat is never wrong.

cybobbie
August 8th, 2005, 3:08 am
Riddle wasn't a pureblood, but he was heir of Slytherin, so of course he's going to be in Slytherin. He also emphasizes being a pureblood a lot, and he has a lot of Slytherin-type qualities.

I agree. For me that's the explanation. I believe that, despite not being common, may be there are other non pure blood in Slytherin that go to the house because they have the right qualities for being there.

Sebatom
August 9th, 2005, 12:55 am
DD's Daughter; I agree entirely. I did want to use evidence from HBP as well but of course, 'curs'ed be thy name' to post such spoilers! Any who your response was on the same sort of lines that I was thinking along... 'Get out of my head' lol :p

It really is testament to good ole' JK that she can create a book 'for children' apparently, that each and every one of even its smallest facets can be scrutinised, and meaning pulled from in such an intelligent manner.

I would have put a few quotes to try and back up my earlier divulgence on Tom Riddle, but I really couldn't be bothered, if I’m honest! lol Its the summer! Actually analysing the books to that much of an extent would go against the meaning of summer holidays, and god forbid be like school lol.

Anyway peace out: tu:

Oh sorry wait! I have another opinion. Could the hat surely not be an incredibly useful source of information? I mean it has seen inside the head of every student to pass through the school. Of course it could not necessarily predict the future as such, but could give you access to interesting character traits and help form the ‘bigger picture’ for want of a better phrase. Of course if we take JK's writing as entirely infallible then we would have to assume that Dumbledore would have checked such a source, and indeed most probably found that it would only divulge information on particular person to that person only, as it did with Harry. Just an interesting thought though, that came to mind in the small hours…

DD's Daughter again:Thanks for the Ravenclaw comment, you seem like you would 'sort well' into that house also :) Cool badge me thinks too :cool:

EomerKing
August 9th, 2005, 1:15 am
It doesn't matter that Tom is not a fullblood wizard because:

1.There arent any real fullblood families anymore.

2.The Hat sad to harry that he had the ability to become a slytherin and he is also a halfblood.

3.He is the heir of Slytherin.

MrsSlytherin
August 9th, 2005, 6:33 am
Probably because he was a loner and seeked personal gain over friendships. Also he pretty much tormented and stole things from others all through his childhood. Annnddd, he is heir of slytherin!!!!!!!

Feather
August 9th, 2005, 7:43 am
Let's take Harry as an example.......Harry definitely is a half-blood (so far we know), but he almost was put in Slytherin! Only because of the power which Voldie "gave" him on the other night....Therefore I think it doesn't matter whether you are pure blood or not, but what inside your mind....and the most important thing, your wish!

Not to mention, Tom Riddle was a heir of Slytherin, all the evil thoughts were inherited from half of his blood. And I think what his Muggle father has done to his pure-blood-witch mother made him hate muggles even more...

Muggleborn
August 9th, 2005, 4:55 pm
Sorting Hat doesn't only choose pure blood for slytherin...
students only can be in Slytherin if they are cunning enough...and I won't doubt how cunning Tom Riddle is...
I think "cunnig" is the key word, it appeared in both two songs of sorting hat...

And...as being a true heir of Slytherin...how could Tom not be in Slytherin??? :p

lil_snuffles
August 9th, 2005, 5:04 pm
He was the heir of slytherin, he was a parselmouth and he probably had traits that Salazar Slytherin had, like being a troublemaker!:rotfl:

Prisoner08535
August 9th, 2005, 6:39 pm
he is evil that is why he is in slytherin, oh and also he is the heir of slytherin.

s0ng0han
August 10th, 2005, 1:47 pm
i dont think its because he is "evil", not everyone in slytherin turns out to be death eaters. he has qualities that Salazar Slytherin likes. cunning and putting yourself before others. He didn't have qualities that the other houses favoured.

Phoenix_21
August 10th, 2005, 7:50 pm
okay...so confused!! i thought Tom Riddle WAS Lord Voldemort?! at least that is what they said in the movie COS, though i've never read the books so maybe once i do i'll understand...hmmm :shrug:

fantasymania
August 11th, 2005, 10:44 am
hes evil, all evil people go to slytherin. Im not saying all slytherins are evil but all the evil ones are bound to be there.

s0ng0han
August 11th, 2005, 12:29 pm
hes evil, all evil people go to slytherin

You dont go to slytherin because you are evil. Voldemort just had more slytherin qualities than qualities from other houses. Only a small portion of all slytherins turned out to be death eaters, most of them turn out to be decent people.

Greeney
August 11th, 2005, 2:04 pm
hes evil, all evil people go to slytherin. Im not saying all slytherins are evil but all the evil ones are bound to be there.

Incase you haven't read GoF, this can be considered an old spoiler:
Wormtail was hanging out with James and Sirius rather than Snape so it's safe to assume he was a Gryffidor. You have been proven wrong.

I_love_Dobby
August 11th, 2005, 2:15 pm
You dont go to slytherin because you are evil. Voldemort just had more slytherin qualities than qualities from other houses. Only a small portion of all slytherins turned out to be death eaters, most of them turn out to be decent people.

I couldn't agree with you more s0ng0han. Voldemort did have some of the qualities, and not only that, but he was a descendant of Salizar Slytherin.

Hilary
August 13th, 2005, 8:01 pm
He was the Heir of Slytherin obviously he's going to be put into Slytherin,the hat most likely overlooked the fact that he was a halfblood, also if you've read the 6th book, when Dumbledore is showing Harry Tom Riddle's sorting,the hat is barely put on his head before he makes a descision.

Tom Riddle went to Slytherin because he chose and wanted to go there. He definelty has Slytherin skills but mostly his curiosity on how much alike he is with Slytherin wanted him to learn more for instence speaking Parseltongue. He was the last remaining descendant of Salazar Slytherin which was a big reason for the Sorting Hat putting him there too. But it is also true that blood doesn't matter but it is your choices that show who you truly are and Tom Riddles choices got him a place in Slytherin House easy.

The hat is barely put on his head because just like Malfoy he wanted and was ready to go into Slytherin. He knew where he was heading...Probably the train ride to Hogwarts gave him all the information he needed to know about the houses and Slytherin must have appealed to him greatly.

Hilary :p :blush:

rafnaf
August 13th, 2005, 8:06 pm
cuz he roxxxxxx

Mishlo
August 15th, 2005, 6:22 pm
Well.. it does say in the second book that he is the heir of Slytherin.. I don't see why would he be in some other house...

hdhp5
August 15th, 2005, 6:31 pm
Tom Riddle was one of the last descendents of Salazar Slytherin-- wouldn't he have to be put into Slytherin? But yet-- Harry is a descendent, because of his scar, and he didn't get put into Slytherin but was it because he asked not to be? It's very confusing in my opinion.

Besanamo
August 15th, 2005, 6:43 pm
He's a descendant of Slytherin and so a parseltongue and he's evil. Honestly what other house could he be in? About the pureblood thing, Snape was in Slytherin as well.

mrs_weaslbee
August 15th, 2005, 8:44 pm
He has Slytherin qualties and he IS the heir of Slytherin, so of course he would be in Slytherin House!

siriusfriend
August 15th, 2005, 9:45 pm
i dont think its because he is "evil", not everyone in slytherin turns out to be death eaters. he has qualities that Salazar Slytherin likes. cunning and putting yourself before others. He didn't have qualities that the other houses favoured.

Exactly, I think it had more to do with this than with his heritage, after all we saw in OotP that most of Sirius's family was in Slytherin, too, weren't they?

poppy rebecca
August 15th, 2005, 10:00 pm
did it say anywhere he was in slytherin? just cos he was related to the founder..... some 1 plz tell me

siriusfriend
August 15th, 2005, 10:07 pm
I believe that it did say somewhere that Riddle's prefect's badge was silver (Slytherin color) whereas those of Percy, Ron, and Hermione were gold (Gryffindor color) but that is the only thing I can specifically think of.

wave_crusher
August 15th, 2005, 10:19 pm
Because he is Slytherin's heir- Duh.

HairyTrotter
August 16th, 2005, 2:00 am
Uh Slytherin's heir . . . . . *Veronica wonders why Slytherin's heir wouldn't be put in Gryffindor, hmmmmmm* :huh:

Tom Marvolo Riddle, Slytherin's heir, and LORD VOLDEMORT. Get the picture?

OH yeah, and READ BOOK 6!!!! It kinda would help.

pegnip123
August 16th, 2005, 2:21 am
Well, Tom Riddle had Slytherin blood running through, him as well as being very ambitious and not caring about those who got in his way. Plus, what other house would he be suitable in!

siriusfriend
August 16th, 2005, 3:35 am
Uh Slytherin's heir . . . . . *Veronica wonders why Slytherin's heir wouldn't be put in Gryffindor, hmmmmmm* :huh:

But remember, the whole "heir" thing wouldn't be the only reason...a great man once said that it is our choices that make us who we are, remember? It helped a lot, I am sure, but his personality had more to do with it, I think.

Willow0224
August 16th, 2005, 5:09 am
I believe that it did say somewhere that Riddle's prefect's badge was silver (Slytherin color) whereas those of Percy, Ron, and Hermione were gold (Gryffindor color) but that is the only thing I can specifically think of.

yes it was said.

"And what are Slytherin and Hufflepuff?"
"school houses.There's four.Everyone says Hufflepuff are a lot o' duffers but-"
"I bet I'm a Hufflepuff,"said Harry gloomily.
"Better Hufflepuff than Slytherin,"said Hagrid darkly."not a single witch or wizard who went bad who wasn't in Slytherin.You-Know-Who was one."
"Vol- sorry - You Know - Who was at Hogwarts?"
"Years an' years ago," said Hagrid

I can't believe this discussion has gone on this long.with everyone saying the exact same things,and making the exact same referances.

ProfBanaticus
August 16th, 2005, 5:21 am
In the Sorting Hat's new song, it says "Slytherin took only pure-blood wizards . . .", but Tom Riddle was a half-blood. So eventhough he was cunning and evil, by definition, he should not have been in Slytherin, since only pure bloods are in slytherin.Salazar Slytherin has been dead for centuries. Slytherin is no longer his own personal "Slug Club". Slytherin is for the ambitious, those who want to be the best at whatever they do, those who enjoy winning (perhaps above anything else).

ginny_harry1
August 16th, 2005, 5:23 am

And I think being evil and being able to kill hundreds of people without getting depressed and feeling bad plays a part...

poppy rebecca
August 16th, 2005, 12:49 pm

hey dont start on me i havent read 6 yet cos i cant aford it yet. jeez whats ur problem u know a fourum is for talking! if we all knew everything we wudnt need this website :P

bryanweasley
August 16th, 2005, 1:53 pm
The Sorting Hat was originally going to place Harry into Slytherin since DL gave him the requirements Slytherin is looking for. Second, only a handful of names are recognized as being pureblood--Malfoy, Longbottom, Lestrange, Black (no kids at school). If pureblood was requirement, Slytherin wouldn't have many people. It's what's inside your head the Sorting Hat is looking at, not genetics. "It's all inside your head, you could be great you know...not Slytherin, heh" (paraphrasing)

relgeselocin
August 16th, 2005, 9:24 pm

the hat overooked that he was half-blood cause he was the heir of slytherin

loopylovegood
August 16th, 2005, 9:24 pm
I guees Salazar knew he was going to grow up to be Voldemort so he belonged in Slytherin. Its like n ot putting Harry in Gryffindor.

hermione_chic
August 16th, 2005, 9:46 pm
Nobody rally said all Slytherins had to be pure-bloods. On top of that, we know that he is Slytherins heir which would mean he could only be destined for one house. The one directed by his blood line.

Denadamedacro
August 16th, 2005, 9:50 pm
Well I think it's safe to say that Salazar Slytherin would have wanted his only heir to be in his house.

HairyTrotter
August 16th, 2005, 10:58 pm
hey dont start on me i havent read 6 yet cos i cant aford it yet. jeez whats ur problem u know a fourum is for talking! if we all knew everything we wudnt need this website :P
True....I apologize for jumping on ya like that. *sticks hand out* Shake?:tu:

trina
August 17th, 2005, 12:32 am
The hat would have to lower its standards when the pureblood numbers dwindled.

iluvhhr
August 17th, 2005, 4:38 am
I think Tom Riddle was put into Slytherin because he is a descendent of Salazar Slytherin. The Sorting Hat may have overlooked his blood because Tom pretty much deserves to be in Slytherin. If the Sorting Hat only takes pure bloods, then Slytherin House may shrink, since there are not many pure bloods around.

333fawkes
August 18th, 2005, 1:23 pm
He's a parselmouth and he's a decendent of Slytherin as we find out in HBP

Harry12345678
August 18th, 2005, 7:04 pm
When harry was sorted the hat considered putting him in slytherin but since he wanted to be in gryffindor thats were he was put maybe thats y riddle was in slytherin

ishK
August 18th, 2005, 9:42 pm
I think the fact that the hat sees alot of thing that we don't... Like the fact that sirius black would be a good guy! And like the hat senses that the person is pure-blood and that it can which family you are from (WEasley's) then thats probably how Tom Riddle got into Slytherin...... But i am wondering if the hat makes mistakes like for example i think wormtail was put in Gryffindor .. How did he get there?? He turned out to be weak, a coward, a backstabber, a terrible friend and in the end sort of a death eater. SO how could the hat make such a mistake???

siriusfriend
August 18th, 2005, 10:34 pm
the hat doesn't make mistakes and that is hard for me to accept because of the whole Pettigrew thing, but Riddle was definitely where he belonged, both because of his family and even more because of his own true self.

PatronaKA
August 18th, 2005, 10:41 pm
Uh...question...have you even read the books? *looks at you strangely*

Naigini
August 18th, 2005, 10:57 pm
EDIT: No HBP spoilers or references in this area.

MasterNimbus
August 19th, 2005, 7:50 pm
He's the Heir of Slytherin, so he automatically get's into Slytherin, I think.

_Viktor_Krum_
August 26th, 2005, 3:32 am
He was jsut soooooo evil and loathesome, that the Sorting Hat had to place him in Slytherin. Besides, I think that when the founders were still around, Slytherin only took pure bloods, but there is so little pure blood wizards left, that if they only took pure bloods, there would only be about one or two Slytherins every year. I think it's just got to do with how evil and cunning you are now.