Possible Directors for Future HP Films

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Amanalcariel
August 11th, 2003, 10:45 pm
Okay, we want this movie to be good right? To get a good movie, you need a good director, and a good screenwriter. So far, I have been disappointed by Chris Columbus's version of the first two years at Hogwarts. I don't know what it is about it, but it just didnt feel right when I saw it. I think it could've been much better.

Anyway, now that CC is out of the picture, what director could capture everything in this book and put it on the screen so that the fans (who's opinion is the most important one) are happy with the way things were potrayed in the film?

Now, don't get me wrong, I know the film can't be exactly like the book. But, this book in particular has a lot of new things that should be introduced the right way.

My pick for the new director is going to be Peter Jackson, because Im a huge fan of the LOTR books and I think he is the best of all directors who have done book to film adaptations because he knows where to put things and where to add things so that the movie has the right feel and the fans are happy.

On another note, I think the score for the two movies have been absolutley wonderful, so thats definetly one thing that I don't want to change for the fifth movie. Only, it should most definetly be darker and gloomier, and sadder, especially towards the end.

Your thoughts?

hesdead-dealwithit
August 11th, 2003, 10:49 pm
This would belong in Muggle Media, I think. Mods please move this.

To answer your question, Alfonso Cuaron seems to be doing a good job on PoA (regardless of his idiotic and infantile politics). He seems to be adding more of an edge to the movie, which was definitely lacking in the first two (and was there in LotR). But he's stopping at Movie Three and some Brittish guy, Mike Newell, I think is doing GoF.

Hazelnutt1230
August 11th, 2003, 10:52 pm
I think Steven Spiellger*sp* should be the director for OotP. I think he is a really good director. Anyway....this probably will be moved...so see ya there!

Weatherby
August 12th, 2003, 2:37 am
The topic can stay in book five as long as the discussion stays on who should direct Ootp.

big_cho_fan
August 12th, 2003, 4:48 pm
I think it would be great if either steven speilberg or peter jackson would direct the other movie. I can't imagin how good Ootp would be with peter jackson behind it.

daniel4hp
August 12th, 2003, 7:46 pm
I would tend to support Tim Burton. I think he could handle the dark atmosphere of this book pretty well. But I don't really care, as long as its someone other than Chris Columbus, and someone who does have a wee bit of tallent (preferably more than a wee bit).

Black Dog
August 12th, 2003, 8:28 pm
i think i want to see how PoA comes out before i decide if Cuaron is better than CC....but Speilberg or Burton would be good for the fifth books...i guess we'll just have to wait and see how much better PoA is than SS or CoS

btw *i cant wait until PoA!!!* :D

OrioCookie
August 13th, 2003, 2:20 am
I think Tim Burton would be a good choice. He could get the creepiness in as well as the humour with the deep thought involved.

ShadowKiwi
August 14th, 2003, 2:16 am
I think this book will be very difficult to pull off as a good movie....there is a very different ambience in Ootp compared with the first 4 books. Whoever directs it will certainly have a challenge....

Ludo_Bagman
October 2nd, 2003, 4:51 pm
I think Sam Raimi, the director of Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2, should direct OOTP. He's really good at directing dark material, I think he's a perfect choice for the job, he'd be able to catch the darkness of the book, and the lighter side.

sawyer
October 2nd, 2003, 5:01 pm
I think Sam Raimi, the director of Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2, should direct OOTP. He's really good at directing dark material, I think he's a perfect choice for the job, he'd be able to catch the darkness of the book, and the lighter side.
Perhaps I agree with you, but I would have mentioned Evil dead instead of Spiderman. Evil dead is a masterpiece of horror. :)

Ludo_Bagman
October 2nd, 2003, 5:30 pm
Perhaps I agree with you, but I would have mentioned Evil dead instead of Spiderman. Evil dead is a masterpiece of horror. :)

I agree with you on that, Evil Dead and its sequels are really good. Another good movie by Sam is The Gift.

BellatrixLeS
October 2nd, 2003, 10:21 pm
I agree! I think it's time for the direction of the movies to take a different tack. They need to be approached not as children's movies, but as movies based on the books. After all, JK didn't intend the books to be for children, they merely appealed to children.

vagos
October 2nd, 2003, 11:36 pm
i think alfonso cuaron is better at approaching the books not as children's movies than sam raimi...

daniel4hp
October 2nd, 2003, 11:40 pm
I agree with Vagos. I have faith in Alfonso.

Ludo_Bagman
October 2nd, 2003, 11:48 pm
I agree with Vagos. I have faith in Alfonso.

I also agree, but Cuaron is only doing POA and we don't know if Mike Newell is signed up for 5. Plus Raimi, has a knack for catching dark material.

Cat
October 3rd, 2003, 12:13 am
After all, JK didn't intend the books to be for children, they merely appealed to children.

I disagree. The tone of writing suggests that it was definately intended towards children from about eleven years old. But the books also appealed to adults.

I'm not skilled at matching directors to stories, I'm not sure how it's done, but this guy's films that I know of don't seem to me to be the right ambience for Harry Potter. Besides, the second most important thing after being the right director for it is being a director who would want to do it. Do you know if he's Harry Potter fan? I appreciate that that's not something you tend to know about people you don't know personally.

Lord_Chatterley
October 3rd, 2003, 12:47 am
It's not fair!I wanted to open a thread like this!
I come here and discover it's already been opened!
ok! :nc:
Directos that could be very good to direct OotP are:
Alejandro Amenabàr (http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0024622/)
His last movie:"The Others" was wonderful
Sam Mendes (http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0005222/)
Road to Perdition and American Beauty were both great
Jean Pierre Jeunet (http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0000466/)
The director of Alien 4 and Amelie from Montmartre
Tim Burton even could be pretty good.
and Robert Rodriguez (http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0001675/)
Director of Spy Kids and The Faculty.
Andrew Fleming (http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0281598/)
He directed "The Craft" with Neve Campbell
and last but not least:Stephen Daldry (http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0197636/) director of Billy Elliott and The Hours.

nhut
October 3rd, 2003, 12:54 am
My pick would be Peter Jackson, obviously for his great work with LOTR. And I'm from NZ, so maybe I'm biased. :)

I'd also have Kloves fired, and the LOTR screenplay team take over it. When you're not working with your own script, I think it limits your creative ability hugely.

And I hated the score for the first two. It was basically Hedwig's theme repeated over and over again, it lacked any sense of, well, anything. A mess. John Williams has done a great job with other movies, but he obviously was too worried about writing a great score for Star Wars Ep II than Harry Potter. Either that, or Columbus limited him somehow. Let's all blame it on Columbus....

I wouldn't mind a change in composer. Hans Zimmer (Gladiator, Lion King) or Howard Shore (Silence of the Lambs, LOTR) would be good, imho.

Ludo_Bagman
October 3rd, 2003, 1:22 am
My pick would be Peter Jackson, obviously for his great work with LOTR. And I'm from NZ, so maybe I'm biased. :)

I'd also have Kloves fired, and the LOTR screenplay team take over it. When you're not working with your own script, I think it limits your creative ability hugely.

And I hated the score for the first two. It was basically Hedwig's theme repeated over and over again, it lacked any sense of, well, anything. A mess. John Williams has done a great job with other movies, but he obviously was too worried about writing a great score for Star Wars Ep II than Harry Potter. Either that, or Columbus limited him somehow. Let's all blame it on Columbus....

I wouldn't mind a change in composer. Hans Zimmer (Gladiator, Lion King) or Howard Shore (Silence of the Lambs, LOTR) would be good, imho.

Danny Elfman should score it. :clap: :elaugh:

vagos
October 3rd, 2003, 2:58 am
or maybe Harry and the Potters? :lol:

Loz
October 4th, 2003, 10:02 am
M. Night Shyamalan would do a good job directing Order of the Phoenix, in my opinion. He's got the tension thing down well, character development, and the whole paranormal aspect too. He could probably do a pretty good reworking of the script as well.

Sonic_Pumpkins
October 7th, 2003, 1:04 am
No! No Peter Jackson! Enough of him already! We have already suffered through two Lord of the Rings adaptations! I'm sorry, I happen to like "Dead Alive" and that fact that LotR had absolutely no poison monkeys or half-decapitated nurse giving birth to mutilated zombie babies was the biggest disappointment I've ever experienced! Urukai sniffing for "Man-Flesh" and having their heads lobbed off are not enough! If Lord of the Rings is so great, then why isn't anyone attacking orcs with the business-end of a lawnmower?! More gore! More gore! Me read Lord of the Rings! Me want violence! Me want crack addicted muppets! Peter Jackson = gore, Lord of the Rings = meaningless violence!! Kill, kill, kill!!

Seriously, though, I truly enjoy Alfonso Cuaron's visual mastery in such films as "Great Expectations" and "Y Tu Mama Tambien." Hopefully, he can give Harry Potter the artistic spin it needs. That's the problem with many of the recent fantasy films. Sure, they look "fantastic," but in a really cliched way. I feel the Harry Potter series needs its own visual signature. It's too bad he won't be directing Goblet of Fire. I think he's an exceptional director and artist.

rotsiepots
October 7th, 2003, 3:00 am
Hmm, do you mean Braindead?

I'm also not especially keen for Peter Jackson to direct HP. Yes, The Lord of the Rings was a spectacular achievement, but he's not, strictly, a fantasy director and I doubt he wants to be "type-cast" as one. I'm sure he has bigger and better plans post-LotR and doesn't want to be pigeonholed as a "fantasy novel adaptor", or something similar.

So many people recommending Jackson for the role have never seen Braindead, Bad Taste or Meet the Feebles. Certainly if they had, they would be rethinking their recommendation. ;)

Personally, I don't mind who gets the role, so long as it's not another mainstream Hollywood director. Don't get me wrong, I think Columbus did a fine job on the first two films (despite the assertions of hyper-critical fans that he didn't), but I think the series has to grow with more...progressive directors.

Dragonfly the 2nd
October 7th, 2003, 3:19 am
I don't want to see Peter Jackson directing, the LOTR team adapting, or Howard Shore composing. Just because they did well with LOTR doesn't mean they'd do well with HP. In my opinion, the books have very different styles, moods, worlds...everything. HP and LOTR are not very much alike. And before you say "Look at the HP vs LOTR page on mugglenet," I have looked at it, and I understand that there are many similarities, but please, the books are very different from each other and can't both be portrayed the same way. So don't recommend people because they were good at making LOTR. This is HP we're talking about, and HP is not anything like LOTR.

And anyway, a possible director for OotP would be...me! Just kidding. But I feel I could make this movie better than anyone else could. Even if the director doesn't control a lot, which I'm pretty sure he does.

hesdead-dealwithit
October 7th, 2003, 4:05 am
I'm sorry, I happen to like "Dead Alive" and that fact that LotR had absolutely no poison monkeys or half-decapitated nurse giving birth to mutilated zombie babies was the biggest disappointment I've ever experienced!
I'm sorry, but was I the only one who thought that came out a little weird?

(Kidding ;))

Sonic_Pumpkins
October 7th, 2003, 5:17 am
Hmm, do you mean Braindead?

Braindead = Dead Alive in America

Yar, I'm glad you all understood my intent with that. So many people get the notion from watching The Lord of the Rings films that Peter Jackson is a fantasy genre director. But, before LotR...he was in fact, a horror film director. He had only made one non-horror film of which I am aware of; that being Heavenly Creatures. Just picture what the LotR films would look like in the hands of someone else. They would probably not be nearly as gorey and violence based. Personally, I felt the book series got worse as it went along. I really loved the subtlety of the first half of Fellowship of the Ring. It is more lighthearted and descriptive. Not to mention, I found the tension throughout the first half to be much more effective to me, as a reader, than all-out violence in the second half. I sped right through the first book of Fellowship...but as the action picked up it seemed as though everything else took a back seat. Eh, whatever. LotR may not be profound...but it is fun! And, I guess that's what Peter Jackson does well to the series. He brings out the really entertaining aspects.

Yet, I don't think that type of direction would fair too with on Harry Potter. Lord of the Rings is basically just a violently entertaining modern mythology. Harry Potter is more along the lines of realism cloaked in fantasy. It is more realistic than it is fantasy and therefore contains far more real life parallels than LotR, which leans more towards fantasy escapism. It is at this most basic level that the two series' differ. Lord of the Rings upholds fantastic situations with equally fantastic conclusions. Harry Potter, stripped down, is the story of a boy who grows up attempting to cope with death and other real life issues in a realistic way. Additionally, the wizarding community is an allegorical reflection of our society with many of the same strengths and shortcomings. In conclusion, HP needs a director who has dealt specifically with drama and reality-based film...not fantasy.

Picko
October 7th, 2003, 7:28 am
I wish people would get over Peter Jackson, he's an ordinary director who directed a bloody ordinary fantasy movie. I'm glad he's doing King Kong, so people might finally be reminded that he's not really a great director.

Loz
October 7th, 2003, 7:50 am
He's actually not a bad director - has anyone seen Forgotten Silver - it's a mockumentary. That's Jackson doing pretty darn well.

But I don't think he should do OotP. I've already made a suggestion... but uhhh, how about Ridley Scott? :D That would be an interesting Harry Potter. (I am actually joking, I like Scott's films... but a cross of Black Hawk Down, Gladiator, White Squall and Harry just came into my mind and it's too funny.)

nhut
October 7th, 2003, 8:54 am
I wish people would get over Peter Jackson, he's an ordinary director who directed a bloody ordinary fantasy movie. I'm glad he's doing King Kong, so people might finally be reminded that he's not really a great director.Get. Out. Now. ;)

Although I agree with some poster up there who said that he probably wouldn't want to be typecast as the 'fantasy' director, and I can understand that. He's spent nearly 10 years on fantasy, let him move on. :)

All I can say is that he and the LOTR team managed to adapt what was deemed as the impossible book to film, and did a job most people approve of. I'm sure he'd do a great job actually adapting it to screen, rather than getting a copy of the book, attacking it with scissors, and filming what remained. You don't have to agree. :p

I'm not going to try any more to convince you any more, because from that post I can deduce that your head is so firmy shoved up your behind that you wouldn't hear me.

(Note to self: rent Braindead)

FlarbyGarby
October 7th, 2003, 1:38 pm
I'd love to see a Luc Besson does Potter film. That'd be quite interesting.

rotsiepots
October 7th, 2003, 2:24 pm
He had only made one non-horror film of which I am aware of; that being Heavenly Creatures.

Have you seen Meet the Feebles? I suppose it would be a comedy of some description, but it basically involves lots of muppet-like creatures engaging in all sorts of naughty behaviours (eg murder, drugs...I'll leave the rest to your imagination). It's really black, but quite amusing. :)

I wish people would get over Peter Jackson, he's an ordinary director who directed a bloody ordinary fantasy movie. I'm glad he's doing King Kong, so people might finally be reminded that he's not really a great director.

I hardly think this is fair. Peter Jackson has done a commendable job with the Lord of the Rings series. He certainly isn't a directing great (yet), but he's well above par. I'm curious as to who you think is a good director if you rate Jackson as ordinary. :huh:

Anyhoo, I don't really have anyone in mind for the job...whoever they pick will be suitable, I'm sure. :)

Sonic_Pumpkins
October 7th, 2003, 7:13 pm
Have you seen Meet the Feebles? I suppose it would be a comedy of some description, but it basically involves lots of muppet-like creatures engaging in all sorts of naughty behaviours (eg murder, drugs...I'll leave the rest to your imagination). It's really black, but quite amusing. :)

Oh, yes...I've seen Meet the Feebles, although I considered it to be part of the same horrific genre as Dead Alive and all of his other quasi-horror/intentional comedies. Most of his films to date have been horror exploitation flicks. Honestly, most of his films really are a delight to watch!

Now, as for Terry Gilliam...I think he has been the best-suited director suggested so far. Not only has he directed what I feel is the funniest film og all time, Monty Python's the Life of Brian, he also directed such incredible dramas as Brazil and The Fisher King, and really bizarre films such as Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and 12 Monkeys. Terry Gilliam has the ability to direct any genre of film there is...and do it well. The Harry Potter series will need that seeing that it combines drama, fantasy/sci-fi, comedy, and many other genres. Good call.

Lord_Chatterley
October 7th, 2003, 10:17 pm
Anyone knows the directors I suggested?

denim_fairy
October 8th, 2003, 12:39 am
I still think Keneth Branagh would do an excellent job, he's a good director and
as an added bonus he's already familiar with the cast. Ok maybe I'm just biased I'm a huge Kenneth Branagh fan.( Much ado about Nothing is a classic.)

Bilbo
October 8th, 2003, 4:26 am
I think Peter Jackson is an above par director, but Harry Potter isn't for him unless he sticks with scripting only

Honestly, Terry Gilliam, Tim Burton and James Cameron would do bang up jobs.

nhut
October 8th, 2003, 6:20 am
I wouldn't like James Cameron to have anything to do with Harry Potter... and anyway, he's probably too busy counting his money from that awful Titanic. :)

rotsiepots
October 8th, 2003, 10:17 am
James Cameron? Somehow I don't think so. He strikes me as the sort of director who couldn't tolerate children. Plus he'd probably encourage Hermione to attend regular gym sessions, replace wands with guns and throw in a cameo from the Governator. Either that or the HP films would turn into contrived love stories. ;)

Terry Gilliam is a good thought, though. :tu:

Loz
October 8th, 2003, 10:23 am
The Cho/Harry kiss directed by Cameron would take up 15 minutes as opposed to the 5 asterisks in the book, and there would be a gratuitous nude scene from nowhere :D

I still like my suggestion.

sawyer
October 8th, 2003, 10:36 am
Anyone knows the directors I suggested?
I know Alejandro Amenabàr and I also liked his The others, but I don't think his style is suitable for Potter's movies. :)

Bilbo
October 8th, 2003, 2:06 pm
The Cho/Harry kiss directed by Cameron would take up 15 minutes as opposed to the 5 asterisks in the book, and there would be a gratuitous nude scene from nowhere :D

I still like my suggestion.

James Cameron? Somehow I don't think so. He strikes me as the sort of director who couldn't tolerate children. Plus he'd probably encourage Hermione to attend regular gym sessions, replace wands with guns and throw in a cameo from the Governator.

Well, when you put it that way, I have to recant. I was only commenting on his visuals. I had forgotten that if got the job, Bill Paxton would Lupin and Ahnold would star as Harry....

I stand by Gilliam and think Tim Burton would actually do the better job.

Turambar
October 9th, 2003, 1:16 pm
For all those downplaying Peter Jackson's achievement with LOTR let me just say I shudder to think how those films could have turned out in the hands of someone else. Yes there are flaws but on the whole he's done a really good job, especially since it was such a huge logistical nightmare to film. Three films shot at once.
Anyway he wouldn't do HP because he doesn't want to leave NZ. He's set up his own big film base in NZ.
For OOTP we need a director who can imaginatively bring out Harry's inner struggles, thoughts, the anger, isolation at times.
For instance I hate the ham-fisted way CC handled the sorting in PS. There was that crucial moment where Harry is scared he's going to be put in Slytherin, something that preys on his mind and he doesn't want anyone knowing. And CC films it with the camera back and the hat speaking out loud as though everyone can hear it? :rolleyes: He should have somehow got up close so that the audience really senses Harry's fear and gets the idea that only Harry can hear what the hat is saying.
I think of the people mentioned so far I'd go with Tim Burton or Ridley Scott.

RYOSUKE-TAKAHASHI7
October 9th, 2003, 11:16 pm
ALOT OF HONG KONG dir would do a good job in this movie to I believe

I believe Peter Jackson is an excellent choice for the OOTP movie since adapting HP to film is a whole lot easier than LOTR ever was.

Tirwen Lupin
October 10th, 2003, 1:03 am
So if he's just an ordinary director, who would you suggest? :huh: I don't mean to sound harsh, but I think he's well above ordinary (and did a brilliant job of LOTR) and more than capable of doing OotP. He's shown in LOTR that he can make beautifully heartwrenching scenes, immense battels, and pretty much everything in between.
LOTR is far more difficult to adapt to a film than HP. I'd have thought it impossible before I saw what Peter Jackson did. They're not perfect, but the get pretty darn close, I think. As Turambar pointed out, it could have been much worse at the hands of another director. Jackson managed to keep the spirit of the LOTR books in the movies, while Columbus made two-dimensional clones of the books. It'll be interesting to see what Cuaron will do.
But still, I doubt Peter Jackson will do OotP, for reasons others have said. He won't want to leave New Zealand, and will probably have other films that he'll want to work on.
But I'd also like to see if they'll keep John Williams as the composer. The soundtracks of the first two movies were OK, but could have been better. He seemed to rely too much on a single theme. Howard Shore would be good. ;) I know, I sound like I want the LOTR crew to take over HP, but I honestly think that the LOTR movies far surpassed the HP ones.

Dedalus
October 10th, 2003, 1:46 am
But I'd also like to see if they'l keep John Williams as the composer. The soundtracks of the first two movies were OK, but could have been better. He seemed to rely too much on a single theme.
I agree with you, there! I'm hoping John Williams won't stay on, if it's him who's responsible for all the music I don't like in the films (I have been told it was somebody elses fault) ... to be honest, I don't like the music at all, excepting the Hedwig theme and maybe one or two more. I didn't like that the same tunes were played over and over, especially when they were in completely different scenes, that didn't fit. And someone needs to take away those Christmas bells, and smash them with a hammer. The music seemed to be there to sell itself and not necessarily to support the story. It was also very Warner Brothers, and very Hollywood ... which isn't very Harry Potter.

Someone should make a seperate thread for how people'd compose the music, given the opportunity. Maybe me, if nobody else does. I don't want to invade this thread with my music ideas, anyway :)

I wouldn't want Peter Jackson to direct any Harry Potter films, and not because I think he's a bad director because he certainly isn't. There's two reasons really -

1) Nobody would be able to take Harry Potter seriously again. Unfortunately, people label Harry Potter as a lesser LotR. Which is weird since (very very basically) ones set a very, very long time ago, where a party of varying species travel to distroy a ring that could otherwise wind up distroying them, with the occasional battle and wandering king and more besides. Ones set in contempory Great Britain and involves a young boy discovering he's a wizard, and that a whole world of magical folk, with it's own cultures, are hidden inside the one he thought he knew, goes to school and discovers that what he thought was a ray of light is often extremely dark, and unfortunately for him he's right in the centre of it all. You know, it confuses me when people say that they're "sooo similar" when you think of it like that.
But having the Lord of the Rings director would just confirm some of these daft ideas, to a surprisingly large number of people. As good as he might be, otherwise, it'd be a bad move for Harry Potter.

2) Peter Jackson is a good director, but what made him even better was his love for the Lord of the Rings. If he doesn't feel the same way about the Harry Potter books and with the same enthusiasm, which I doubt he does, then you can't really expect that the same spark would be there.

daniel4hp
October 10th, 2003, 2:19 am
I've created a separate thread for discussing the score. :)

RYOSUKE-TAKAHASHI7
October 10th, 2003, 2:59 am
YOSHIYUKI TOMINO FOR OOTP
or Shinichiro Watanabe

starxgazer
October 10th, 2003, 3:19 am
I agree with that, they do need to make the fifth movie groomier and sader. But the director in the first and second movie's could of made it more realalistic for the fans, I think that that would of made the movies alot better. For who I think the director should be, I don't really know, I don't know alot about different directors.

lanifiel
October 10th, 2003, 11:04 am
... I can think of nothing to be said to you... nothing...

Loz
October 10th, 2003, 1:15 pm
^ How about "listen to Loz's director suggestions, she's brilliant" ?

Tirwen Lupin
October 12th, 2003, 1:05 am
... I can think of nothing to be said to you... nothing...
Now why didn't I think of that? It would have saved me the trouble of typing all that stuff out. :grumble:
:lol:
Anyway, Dedalus, you have good points about Peter Jaskson. HP and LOTR have similar themes, but their plots are quite different. It wouldn't be a great move for either one, making them seem more alike than they really are.
And yes, it was Peter Jackson's love for LOTR that turned it into such a spectacular movie. If he didn't care about it as much as he did, it would be very mediocre. He could still do a good job on HP, but it might not have the same feeling.
HP need a director who feels the same way about HP as Jackson did about LOTR, and has the capability to make it into the movie it deserves to be.
But I still wouldn't be disappointed if Jackson got the job! :D

Turambar
October 12th, 2003, 4:09 am
I remember reading a quote from Jackson when the HP/LOTR "rivalry" was being hyped up saying that he thought the hype was stupid and that he was an HP fan.

Sarmi
October 19th, 2003, 3:55 am
Well, Alfanso Cuaron has stated that he wants to direct OotP. If he does a good job with PoA, then I don't see the harm in letting him direct it.

Sarmi

rotsiepots
October 19th, 2003, 5:09 am
That's true, actually. I remember reading a while ago that Alfonso would be willing to direct OotP (he didn't want to do two movies in a row, or something similar?)

Perhaps he and Mike Newell will direct every second film? That's an intriguing prospect.

Fuchsia
October 27th, 2003, 9:48 pm
Terry Gilliam is still my choice.

Llopin
October 27th, 2003, 9:54 pm
Terry Gilliam should've directed the first two movies, and perhaps the third one. It's been JK's choice and I heavily agree with her.

Nia
October 30th, 2003, 5:15 am
I think that Cuaron would do an extraordinary job eliciting the required profound emotions from his actors while seamlessly integrating the magical elements required for Order fo the Phoenix. I believe, with what I have seen of his work, that he is entirely capable of making the audience empathize with and truly understand his characters and I am expecting his PoA to be an extraordinary experience comparable to reading the book.

I do think we all need to say a prayer, however, that Chris Columbus does not choose to return to direct “Order of the Phoenix” as he has been hinting. He seems to have all the artistic depth of a razor blade.

Nia

lorna
January 26th, 2004, 2:05 am
throw me into the "anybody but Chris Columbus" camp.
I don't think in the end he did justice to the books.
Peter Jackson -- don't see it. To those who think he just barely passes as a director -- whatever. Personally I think anyone who can keep tabs and control, in his head, on a nine plus hour movie over the amount of time it took to film is probably pretty good at what he's doing. But I don't see him fitting with HP.
Burton I love but I think he would have fit better with POA-- there's a Burtonesque feel to that story and it's been commented that the trailer had that quality too, but I think he'd do HP justice
I like the suggeston of Kevin Branaugh --although him directing his ex-wife might be a little tricky
Terry Gilliam interesting but he could be too quirky.
But whoever does it understand this -- no matter what you do or who you hire or what you leave in or take out--
someone somewhere will hate it.

Hannibal "Drax" Lecter
January 26th, 2004, 7:03 am
I'm hoping John Williams won't stay on, if it's him who's responsible for all the music I don't like in the films (I have been told it was somebody elses fault) ... to be honest, I don't like the music at all, excepting the Hedwig theme and maybe one or two more. I didn't like that the same tunes were played over and over, especially when they were in completely different scenes, that didn't fit. And someone needs to take away those Christmas bells, and smash them with a hammer. The music seemed to be there to sell itself and not necessarily to support the story. It was also very Warner Brothers, and very Hollywood ... which isn't very Harry Potter.

John Williams' music for the films are the best thing about them, which says a lot about the films themselves. However, my other choices would have obviously been either Danny Elfman or Jerry Goldsmith if he'd return to his superhuman abilities from the early-1980's.

As for the director of OOTP, I used to think Tim Burton would be all right, but now that I think about it, he probably wouldn't work very well as just a hired gun (i.e. Planet of the Apes). Burton would really need to be involved with the writing process to get to know the film that he's making a lot better, or he'll end up making something that's just style over substance.

Peter Jackson? Lets not typecast him just because he made another wizard/magic flick called The Lord of the Rings.

But I could see either Steven Spielberg or Ron Howard directing a solid Harry Potter film. But if Alfonzo Cuaron or Mike Newell do well for films 3 and 4, it'd fine with me if they returned for final three.

HollywoodBob
January 26th, 2004, 6:18 pm
I strongly doubt we'll see Terry Gilliam in the credits of OotP. He's been far to preoccupied with bringing another novel to the screen in The Man Who Killed Don Quixote.

Peter Jackson, while an apt director, is not really spectacular. The LotR movies are products of their own hype. Had they merely been fantasy movies and not the LotR, they wouldn't have been nearly as popular. That's not to say they aren't fine films in their own right. Would any other director done as good of a job, yes, possibly better. But no other directors have wanted the job. That Trilogy is a nightmare for a production crew, and PJ proved that it was. Luckily he had the devotion to see it through to the end and we have 3 great movies to watch. I'm looking forward to his Kong rendition.

As for Cameron, he's starting work on a experimental 3D film, so he'll probably be working on it for the next 3 years. So he's out. Besides fantasy isn't his forte.

Tim Burton should stick to his own projects. He works best when he's given free rein to do what he wants. Anyone notice that Planet of the Apes sucked. Well that was because he had too much studio interference. Besides we really don't want Johnny Depp as Professor Umbridge do we?

As for my suggestions,
P.J. Hogan (Peter Pan)
Gore Verbinski (Pirates of the Caribbean)
Alex Proyas (The Crow and the up coming I, Robot)
Len Wiseman (Underworld)

I'll add more if I think of any. :-)

-HollywoodBob

Lord_Chatterley
February 17th, 2004, 9:52 pm
I'm surprised no one mentioned Peter Weir.He Directed "Dead's Poet Society" and the new Master&Commander.Think of what he could do filming the DA reunions.And the detention in DPS reminded me Umbridge detentions too.

aragog
February 18th, 2004, 8:46 am
Just wanted to add another cry for "Gilliam!"
There are enough quirky and bizzarre things in the book to keep him (and us) massively entertained throughout.
I'll wait until I see PoA and GoF to voice my opinion on Cuaron & Newell. I'm sure they'll do fine.
As obsessed with LOTR as I am, I wouldn't like Peter Jackson to direct any HP movie. Different styles, really. He's busy enough as it is!

Lord_Chatterley
February 28th, 2004, 10:13 pm
Andrew Fleming,the director of "The Craft" he would make a pretty good job.

rotsiepots
February 29th, 2004, 12:36 am
Eeeh, somehow I don't think WB executives would hire someone who had directed a film called Threesome. :whistle:

Anyway, I stand by my original assertion; if Alfonso wants to direct OotP then that's ace. If not, then Gilliam would do the best job out of everyone mentioned so far.

We'll have to wait and see what Mike Newell is like for GoF, but if he does a half-decent job then he might decide to stay on.

Lord_Chatterley
February 29th, 2004, 12:54 am
but did you think they would hire someone who had directed Y Tu Mama Tambièn? :whistle:

LumosSoleil
March 2nd, 2004, 4:59 am
Even though I haven't seen PoA yet, I would go with Cauron for OotP. He's a paasionate director and this book is filled with emotions i know he can bring out of the characters. I'm really worried about Mike Newell for GoF. I didn't care for Four Weddings and a funeral (snore fest). But this is a fun book so maybe it wouldn't be too bad.

rotsiepots
March 2nd, 2004, 2:17 pm
but did you think they would hire someone who had directed Y Tu Mama Tambièn? :whistle:

I think Alfonso would be horrified (as am I) at the thought of anyone making an analogy between Y Tu Mama Tambien and Threesome.

They're not even in the same playing field, or even on the same planet for that matter.

Lord_Chatterley
March 2nd, 2004, 9:08 pm
I did not see Threesome,I just saw its IMDB page,so I actually can't judge.
But The Craft is really good,it's one of my favourites.
By the way,happy birthday rotsie.

Lord_Chatterley
March 23rd, 2004, 11:09 pm
Did you know Alan Parker was a possible director for PS/SS?
Unfortunately he refused, but he could be a great director for OotP, don't you think?

Lady Greyjoy
March 24th, 2004, 4:31 am
James Cameron? Somehow I don't think so. He strikes me as the sort of director who couldn't tolerate children

I have one word for you: Aliens
One character-Newt (they come out at night, mostly)

Plus Titanic is is his only bad film :)

But i would love to see either Peter Weir (Dead Poets Society), I think he could capture the atmosphere of Hogwarts almost better than anyone.

or Terry Gilliam ( go Monty Python Alum!)

Magi
March 25th, 2004, 2:06 am
I'm also in favour of Weir. :cool:

Picko
March 25th, 2004, 1:14 pm
Plus Titanic is is his only bad film :)

Explains why it has arguably the greatest box office performance ever. There wouldn't be a single director who wouldn't like to claim that Titanic was s/he's worst movie.

I personally would love to see Peter Weir have a shot at it and of course I imagine Terry Gilliam would be brilliant.

Auror Williamson
March 25th, 2004, 4:37 pm
I'm thinking that Peter Weir would make a good director. He's shown that he can do a great job, with him directing Gallipoli and Master and Commander. I've found he pays great attention to detail, down to the very last piece of an Australian soldier's uniform to the woodworking of the bow of H.M.S. Surprise.

If it turns out PoA is great, I wouldn't mind having Cuaron invited back.

Bee
April 2nd, 2004, 7:41 am
I could see Steven Spielberg directing OotP, since it is going to be a huge movie, and make him a ton of money, and he seems like the right guy for a big, famous, attention-getting movie. The movie version of OotP will probably also get a lot more press of Spielberg is directing it.

Will CC ever come back? I thought he was direcing GoF, but I guess not.

Magi
April 3rd, 2004, 2:39 am
Newell is directing GoF.

If Spielberg directs OotP, it will definitely be big. I suppose you can't go wrong with Spielberg, as long as he doesn't make Kreacher look like ET. :p

rotsiepots
April 3rd, 2004, 3:14 am
I wouldn't like to see Spielberg direct a Potter film, simply because then the film would become a "Steven Spielberg film" rather than a "Harry Potter film".

His prestige would eclipse the significance of the film, in my opinion. People would be more concerned with what directorial techniques he used rather than the storyline.

I'd like to see Cuaron come back for OotP. I'm very hesitant about Mike Newell and GoF.

fawkes5
April 3rd, 2004, 4:31 am
I think I'd also like to see Cuaron come back for OotP. From what I've seen of PoA so far, it looks as if it's going to be really great.

Although I enjoyed SS and CoS, it could have been way better. They didn't show enough of Harry's 'inner struggles' and both movies came out kinda like kiddie flicks. I especially didn't like the part where Harry runs into the Chamber and promptly drops his wand. And he doesn't even try to carry Ginny or anything. I blame CC for that. It's supposed to be the high point of the movie but was sadly lacking in action (from an adult's point of view of course).

OotP is Harry coming of age, he's very angry and conflicted. Cuaron will do a good job of bringing that out.

thethirdman
April 3rd, 2004, 8:19 am
For Ootp I'd like to see more of a subtle approach to the material. Too bad Kurosawa's dead. ;)

I'm not to keen on Spielburg. He's good, but he's not what the movie needs. I want to see a fluidness to the film, and not the hack job I think Columbus did.

nine3/4
April 3rd, 2004, 9:35 am
Let's see, WB's hiring pattern re directors so far: CColumbus representing the planet of America, ACuaron - Latin America, MNewell - Europe. I say, the next director will be from any of the remaining continents, the most populace as likeliest (largest market, you know :)). My guess is Ang Lee or John Woo or any Asian for that matter. Fair representation or political correctness, I suppose. No? :)

Neonorne
April 3rd, 2004, 1:01 pm
I don't want Spielberg. Or Jackson. Not too sure about Tim Burton - maybe? Gilliam too is maybe, but less so I guess.

What OotP needs- and the whole of the Harry Potter series too, for that matter - is someone who is not too fascinated by all the outwardly spectacular scenes this fantasy makes it possible for them to create. Neither should the film be made to be too funny or quirky - some of both of these elements should be there, yes, but not too much.

One thing that has made me very happy about the choice of Cuarón, apart from what I have seen of his previous work, is how he seems to be focused primarly on the realistic, inner experiences and emotions of the children in this film. I like it when he says he sometimes feels like snoozing in front of the blue screen (and jokes about needing a sex scene to wake him up....), while believing that what will make PoA succed or fail will be it's human element. How his ambition has been to make the film more emotionally grounded than the first two, and how he sees it's main theme as the facing of the demons from within. This kind of attitude is exactly what OotP will need, where so much is about Harry losing his innocence and facing his inner turmoils - for one thing, this is what directly leads to the disaster of Sirius' death. To make OotP into an outwardly spectacular but otherwise empty adventure would be so wrong. It needs to be very emotionally intense and real. I don't think Spielberg can do that. Cuarón has shown that he can that kind of films, and also that he can be visually stunning, make spectacular scenes, put in funny little details everywhere - AND have the guts to take his own vision to the books, without being too nervous about fan reactions. So far it seems he is just the perfect Potter director, he should have been hired from the start.....

I definitely wish they would be able to persuade Cuarón to come back for OotP. Throw whatever amount of money it would take at him, or put a gun to his head... He wouldn't do the sixth of course, if there is one, because he won't start at a new film before he has finished the one he works on, and WB (and maybe we) are not willing to wait for him to do that. But then he could come back for the 7th and final one!!!

Like some of you, I am not too impressed by what Newell has done before. And I am not too impressed by what he has said so far about GoF either, the way he sees it as a classical thriller. That's being focused on it's surface structure alone. So I don't think I would like to hear it if he was coming back for OotP. I will be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, though, and see if Potter 4 will be his first masterpiece. Could happen, some people are late bloomers.....

Lord_Chatterley
April 3rd, 2004, 6:56 pm
Instead I'm not worried about Mike Newell, I really enjoyed his previous movies.
I remember that everyone was worried when Cuaron was hired, and now, did you see how brilliant he has been?

Rowlingfan1
April 3rd, 2004, 8:43 pm
Hmm... I'm inspired.

Tim Burton: (Please, JKR, please!) He did Edward Scissorhands, some Batman films, and, my favorite, The Nightmare Before Christmas. I'm thinking he could get the dark feel of the movies.

Peter Jackson: He does great adaptations. If not Burton, I'll root for Jackson.

daniel4hp
April 3rd, 2004, 9:00 pm
I won't say that I want Cuaron back for OotP until I've actually seen PoA. I expect him to do well, and I'm virtually certain he'll be better than Columbus, but until I actually see the film, I can't be certain I'd want him to do Order of the Phoenix.

Spielberg is good, and I wouldn't mind him doing Order of the Phoenix, but I honestly don't think Spielberg is that good. He's a good storyteller, but I think there are other people who could better capture the mood of OotP. But, like I said, I wouldn't object to Spielberg directing it.

Neonorne
April 3rd, 2004, 11:22 pm
Instead I'm not worried about Mike Newell, I really enjoyed his previous movies.
I remember that everyone was worried when Cuaron was hired, and now, did you see how brilliant he has been?
Don't say everyone was worried. I was thrilled right from the start. And Newell - Four Weddings and a Funeral - yes, cute script and some good British actors, but nothing extraordinary in the directing. Donnie Brasco wasn't too bad, but Mona Lisa Smile? *shudders*

Newell seems like an allrounder who can do a lot of things, mostly he will do what the studio wants, and of course he knows the craft. But he doesn't seem to have an independent vision or style of his own. I want that for Potter.

And we can't wish for Cuarón to do film 5 before we have seen what he has done with PoA? Why not? If that is the criterion, we can't have an opinion of any directors save Columbus - he's the only one who has finished any Potter films yet. Neither Spielberg nor Burton nor Gilliam has done that. But of course we may still have an opinion about how good or bad they would be for OotP based on what we have seen of their other work so far. Exactly the same thing goes for Cuarón - except that we have even better reason to judge about him, since we have seen some of his Potter work already from the trailers. And that looks very promising indeed. Of course he may still turn out to be disappointing when we get to see the full film. But so could any of the othters we are talking about.

LumosSoleil
April 4th, 2004, 12:00 am
I don't want Spielberg. Or Jackson. Not too sure about Tim Burton - maybe? Gilliam too is maybe, but less so I guess.

What OotP needs- and the whole of the Harry Potter series too, for that matter - is someone who is not too fascinated by all the outwardly spectacular scenes this fantasy makes it possible for them to create. Neither should the film be made to be too funny or quirky - some of both of these elements should be there, yes, but not too much.

One thing that has made me very happy about the choice of Cuarón, apart from what I have seen of his previous work, is how he seems to be focused primarly on the realistic, inner experiences and emotions of the children in this film. I like it when he says he sometimes feels like snoozing in front of the blue screen (and jokes about needing a sex scene to wake him up....), while believing that what will make PoA succed or fail will be it's human element. How his ambition has been to make the film more emotionally grounded than the first two, and how he sees it's main theme as the facing of the demons from within. This kind of attitude is exactly what OotP will need, where so much is about Harry losing his innocence and facing his inner turmoils - for one thing, this is what directly leads to the disaster of Sirius' death. To make OotP into an outwardly spectacular but otherwise empty adventure would be so wrong. It needs to be very emotionally intense and real. I don't think Spielberg can do that. Cuarón has shown that he can that kind of films, and also that he can be visually stunning, make spectacular scenes, put in funny little details everywhere - AND have the guts to take his own vision to the books, without being too nervous about fan reactions. So far it seems he is just the perfect Potter director, he should have been hired from the start.....

I definitely wish they would be able to persuade Cuarón to come back for OotP. Throw whatever amount of money it would take at him, or put a gun to his head... He wouldn't do the sixth of course, if there is one, because he won't start at a new film before he has finished the one he works on, and WB (and maybe we) are not willing to wait for him to do that. But then he could come back for the 7th and final one!!!

Like some of you, I am not too impressed by what Newell has done before. And I am not too impressed by what he has said so far about GoF either, the way he sees it as a classical thriller. That's being focused on it's surface structure alone. So I don't think I would like to hear it if he was coming back for OotP. I will be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, though, and see if Potter 4 will be his first masterpiece. Could happen, some people are late bloomers.....
Wow, you said everything I wanted to say :tu: . I don't even care if I haven't seen PoA, I would root for him for the director's post. The strongest element in OotP is human emotions and Cuaron's emphasis on that matter brought in my vote. It's also an extra perk he is excellent with delivering great film captures and showing the world we are supposed to be engulf in just like when we read the book.

daniel4hp
April 4th, 2004, 5:09 am
And we can't wish for Cuarón to do film 5 before we have seen what he has done with PoA? Why not?
That isn't what I said. Please don't assume that what I say about myself is intended to apply to everyone. All I said is that I won't say I want Cuaron back until I have seen PoA. I haven't seen A Little Princess or Y Tu Mama Tambien, and so I'm not going to judge his work until I see it. If you want him back for OtoP, that's fine by me.

Neonorne
April 4th, 2004, 3:11 pm
That isn't what I said. Please don't assume that what I say about myself is intended to apply to everyone. All I said is that I won't say I want Cuaron back until I have seen PoA. I haven't seen A Little Princess or Y Tu Mama Tambien, and so I'm not going to judge his work until I see it. If you want him back for OtoP, that's fine by me.
I'm sorry Daniel, if you felt I was attacking you. I didn't mean to, I just wanted to make a point. That's why I didn't mention you name, or quote you. But in reading my post again in light of your reaction, I can see how it can be interpreted as a defence against an attack that certainly didn't come from you or anyone else for that matter. It was kind of clumsy, I apologise for that. You are perfectly entitled to think like you do - if all you have seen of Cuarón's work are the stills and trailers from PoA, I understand how you feel that this is not enough to judge him by. But my advice is -treat yourself with one of his films, if you have the chance of renting them. You won't be disappointed. Just be aware of the graphic adult content of Y tu Mamá - no, it's far from pornographic, but it IS very explicit, so if you can't stomach that, choose A little Princess instead.

Magi
April 4th, 2004, 5:22 pm
My guess is Ang Lee or John Woo or any Asian for that matter.
JOHN WOO????!!!!!

I can just imagine the DoM scenes playing out.....

...... as the Order storms into the Death Chamber, and the spell unleashed by Tonks decimates the dias from under Harry's feet, throwing Harry and Lucius 30 metres into the air in an explosion of earth, fire and cosmic energies. Lucius snaps around in mid-flight to launch a deadly curse at Harry, as Moody springs into a cross-body block to protect Harry from this mortal threat. Moody crumples to the cratered battlescape. "No!" shouts Harry, "You're mine!" screams Lucius, his wand firing yet another concoction of dark magic..... :wow:

Maybe if OotP could be classed as an action movie. :p

Perhaps Jackie Chan could direct OotP! :p How about Jerry Bruckheimer?!

daniel4hp
April 4th, 2004, 9:40 pm
But my advice is -treat yourself with one of his films, if you have the chance of renting them. You won't be disappointed. Just be aware of the graphic adult content of Y tu Mamá - no, it's far from pornographic, but it IS very explicit, so if you can't stomach that, choose A little Princess instead.
I'd love to see some of his work, but the wonderful video places around here don't have the films. Goes with living in Bangor, ME I guess.

~oSiRiS~
April 5th, 2004, 5:08 am
I dont want Peter Jackson directing any of the HP films. I liked the LOTR films. However, The directing was about standard. If it wasnt for the set design and CG then the movies would of sucked.

I think Cuaron is a great director and would love for him to return.

I am not to sure on Newell. I didnt like any of his previous work.

Accually I think they need to find some new young director. I do not see any that can achieve that unique style that Harry Potter has.

rotsiepots
April 5th, 2004, 10:42 am
Perhaps Jackie Chan could direct OotP! :p How about Jerry Bruckheimer?!

:rotfl:. Good one, Magi. The Jer (as his friends like to call him) is a producer, though, so unless Chris Columbus relinquishes his role I doubt he'll be involved. A similarly horrible director is Michael Bay. Perhaps you meant him? ;)

Anyway, it amuses me no end that people recommend Peter Jackson to direct an HP film based on his LotR work. I'm sure if more people had seen Braindead or Meet the Feebles they'd be thinking twice. :D

nhut
April 5th, 2004, 10:56 am
Anyway, it amuses me no end that people recommend Peter Jackson to direct an HP film based on his LotR work. I'm sure if more people had seen Braindead or Meet the Feebles they'd be thinking twice. :DSomebody obviously hasn't seen Heavenly Creatures... :p

rotsiepots
April 5th, 2004, 2:02 pm
Somebody obviously hasn't seen Heavenly Creatures... :p

Thrice.

I'm not sure how relevant that is to the HP films, though. Teenage killers clubbing a middle-aged woman to death with a brick isn't exactly comparable with the rise of Voldemort.

Jackson revels in gore -- I'm sure he'd be horrified at the thought of directing a child-orientated film.

Lord_Chatterley
April 5th, 2004, 2:58 pm
Well, I might be annoying, but I repeat it, Peter Weir would suit brilliantly for OotP!
I don't want Chris Columbus to come back, I've seen Bicentennial Man lately and it's a real cesspool of movie.
This proves that when Columbus tries to make a more emotional movie he fails miserably.
So if he really will come back for OotP, I'm scared.

ShiftyEyes
April 6th, 2004, 3:59 am
I would definitely love to see Terry Gilliam direct one of these movies before the series is through. Don't know if he'd get along with Columbus though since he has attacked Columbus's job on the first HP film.

SiriusPig
April 6th, 2004, 4:05 am
To direct Ootf I think it should be Chris Columbus because he did such a good job on cos

Neonorne
April 6th, 2004, 4:44 pm
i can't agree with you there SiriusPig. I think Columbus' direction is too bland, mainstream and uninteresting, with more than half an eye on the boxoffice with his somewhat cliché takes on characters and situations. i will be VERY disappointed if I hear he gets rehired to do OotP with it's focus on emotional issues. Based on what he has done before, first two Potter films included, i don't think it seems like he has it in him to be able to make that kind of film.

Angelikk
April 6th, 2004, 4:49 pm
It would be an ultimate fantasy of mine if Jerry Bruckheimer or Peter Jackson were to direct it....However, both are not Brits, so i think it would be highly unlikely....

daniel4hp
April 6th, 2004, 10:34 pm
Columbus and Cuaron are not British either, so those two aren't ruled out on that count alone.

iluvrupert12
April 6th, 2004, 10:38 pm
I NEVER want to see Peter Jackson direct ANY harry potter films. I would be TOO dissapointed. I, in my opinion, DISLIKE LOTR A LOT! Its boring and bland...and ugh.

I cant decide what director because i need to see how good a director Cuaron is to determine. I want it to be either Columus (preffered) or Cuaron...(maybe).

Mrs Grint

~oSiRiS~
April 7th, 2004, 5:38 am
For a side note. Tim Burton did not direct The Nightmare Before Christmas. Henry Selick did. Tim was the Producer.

I believe Peter Jackson is an excellent choice for the OOTP movie since adapting HP to film is a whole lot easier than LOTR ever was.
I do not see what was so hard about putting LOTR on film. besides all of the extras they needed, nothing was out of the "norm" film wise.
Harry Potter has way more things that cant be put on film in real life than LOTR. Which In my opinion makes it harder to put to film

nhut
April 7th, 2004, 7:21 am
Thrice.

I'm not sure how relevant that is to the HP films, though. Teenage killers clubbing a middle-aged woman to death with a brick isn't exactly comparable with the rise of Voldemort.You're not trying very hard. :) It has the same relevence as a low-budget Mexican film about two sex-crazed teenagers has to HP3 - a hell of a lot. But this is all moot considering WB aren't going to hand over the VFX to Weta, script to Jackson and co, and scoring to Howard Shore would some persuasion.

It would be an ultimate fantasy of mine if Jerry Bruckheimer or Peter Jackson were to direct it....However, both are not Brits, so i think it would be highly unlikely....Bruckheimer is a producer, not a director. And any producer that associates with Michael Bay is instantly on my hit list. Not that I have a hit list.

Neonorne
April 7th, 2004, 11:13 am
I do not see what was so hard about putting LOTR on film. besides all of the extras they needed, nothing was out of the "norm" film wise.
Harry Potter has way more things that cant be put on film in real life than LOTR. Which In my opinion makes it harder to put to film Any director of OotP will have a bunch of professionals at hand to take care of the SFX and CGI necessary, with the budget these films have. The difference in challenge between making LotR and OotP will not be that the one is "harder" than the other in this way. LotR was a grand epic drama - made a little too grand, too wagneresque for my taste, but, granted, Tolkien was that too... while OotP on the other hand is about the inner turmoil of a traumatised teenager and an enemy attacking from within. That will need a very different directing style altogether. Cuarón has proven himself to be very good at emotional realism without sentimentality, that's why I want him. Maybe Jackson could do it too, what do I know, I haven't seen all of his films, and besides, directors may have the ability to adapt style to new material, at least the good among them have that. But if Jackson is picked, I sure hope it is not to do Potter LotR style - that would be SO wrong!

rotsiepots
April 7th, 2004, 11:22 am
You're not trying very hard. :) It has the same relevence as a low-budget Mexican film about two sex-crazed teenagers has to HP3 - a hell of a lot. But this is all moot considering WB aren't going to hand over the VFX to Weta, script to Jackson and co, and scoring to Howard Shore would some persuasion.

Sex-crazed teenagers? Makes me wonder if you've actually seen Y Tu Mama Tambien or just read the blurb. ;)

It's all about hostile media bias, isn't it? People will see different things in news stories and perceive certain biases. You can see the relevant elements within Heavenly Creatures that apply to HP, but I can't. I respect that.

Angelikk
April 8th, 2004, 6:37 am
Bruckheimer is a producer, not a director. And any producer that associates with Michael Bay is instantly on my hit list. Not that I have a hit list.

Oh yeah! My bad, it's just that I love what he does with CSI every week, and Pirates of the Carribean, I would like to see what he would do with HP

remusjlupin1980
April 8th, 2004, 6:20 pm
I just saw the film Brazil by director Terry Gilliam and I absolutely loved it. For those of you who have seen it, don't you guys think that the Ministry of Information in the film looks like Ministry of Magic the way J.K. described it in The Order of the Phoenix at least structurally. J.K. is a self-professed fan of Gilliam's work and was her first choice to make the Harry Potter film. Terry Gilliam actually wanted to direct the film but after watching the documentary on his problems releasing Brazil, I can see why the studios are very hesitant to hand over a very expensive film franchise in his hands because he wants final cut and the studios fear he might bring a version that's way too artsy and would alienate the fans.

I'm personally rooting for Terry Gilliam to bring The Order of the Phoenix to life because it really contains a lot of themes similar in the film Brazil.

monig3
April 12th, 2004, 10:41 pm
I would tend to support Tim Burton. I think he could handle the dark atmosphere of this book pretty well. But I don't really care, as long as its someone other than Chris Columbus, and someone who does have a wee bit of tallent (preferably more than a wee bit).

I have to agree!

I think Tim Burton could handle the darkness in JKR's fantasy world of wizards, witches, and magical creatures! I do have to say I was somewhat disappointed with CC's direction in SS/PS & CoS. The special effects in those two lacked quite a bit (with an exception of the quidditch scenes - sure the CGI could have been better, but it was a pretty fair job.)

So many people recommending Jackson for the role have never seen Braindead, Bad Taste or Meet the Feebles. Certainly if they had, they would be rethinking their recommendation.

I'd have to agree that OotP or any other Harry Potter movie is not Peter Jackson's style. But...I do have to say that I quite enjoy PJ's early movies for what they are. How can you beat a baby zombie and a giant zombie mum? Dead Alive is a favorite and I can't deny it. But again, it's director has no business interpreting JKR's tales - I can't even see how he'd be interested.

HollywoodBob
April 13th, 2004, 2:59 am
Terry Gilliam actually wanted to direct the film but after watching the documentary on his problems releasing Brazil, I can see why the studios are very hesitant to hand over a very expensive film franchise in his hands because he wants final cut and the studios fear he might bring a version that's way too artsy and would alienate the fans.

I'm personally rooting for Terry Gilliam to bring The Order of the Phoenix to life because it really contains a lot of themes similar in the film Brazil.Terry is a Studio's nightmare. Many of his movies are horribly plaqued with on set accidents, disasters and various other hassles. If you've ever you haven't seen Lost in La Mancha you should pick it up at the rental shop, it's so sad to see all his hard work on a movie that was never made. :(

After seeing Hellboy recently I'm convinced that Guillermo del Toro could do an awesome job on OotP. If he maintained the same ratio of source:original for the film materials, it would be an amazing flick. Not that it won't be anyway. :D

-HollywoodBob

remusjlupin1980
April 13th, 2004, 5:17 pm
You know what, I hear Guillermo Del Toro was actually APPROACHED to helm POA but turned it down because he wanted to do Hellboy more.

monig3
April 13th, 2004, 10:24 pm
You know what, I hear Guillermo Del Toro was actually APPROACHED to helm POA but turned it down because he wanted to do Hellboy more.

I read that somewhere too. He had been wanting to work on Hellboy and took the chance when it came. But he did say something about PoA (he claimed he had already seen it) and praised Cuaron.

remusjlupin1980
June 3rd, 2004, 7:22 pm
Bumping this thread up with my personal list for 3 possible directors for OoTP

1. Terry Gilliam - I saw Brazil recently and I was surprised by how clearly J.K. was influenced by it. The structure of the Ministry of Magic bears a striking resemblance to the Ministry of Information in Gilliam's film. The theme of people's struggle against an oppressive beaureaucratic government was also touched upon by both works.

2. Agnieszka Holland - She has experience with children's literature: she made a well-received adaptation of The Secret Garden (with Maggie Smith, no less). Though her lack of experience with big budget special effects and action scenes in general may prevent her from getting the job.

3. Jean Pierre Jeunet - Has a great talent for visual flair and has experience with working with kids. Should give OoTP a visually stunning and edgy look and feel.

Pumpkin Juice
June 3rd, 2004, 7:36 pm
Kenneth Brannagh - he was considered to direct PoA, I think he would do pretty well to direct OotP.

Lord_Chatterley
June 3rd, 2004, 9:53 pm
Lea Pool, she is canadian, she directed Lost and Delirious, with Piper Perabo, but she's not familiar with big budget special effects and action scenes ...

Frankie Inkblot
June 3rd, 2004, 10:00 pm
Kenneth Branagh would be a not-great choice for it. He's used to a more classical style of directing, and has an extensive background in Shakespeare.

I don't want Harry Potter and OotP to get all tra-la-la or anything. It's got to be rather dark and political. I think Alfonso should find a way back for that one.

Mike Newell is great for GoF, I think: when I think of GoF, I can see winter-time and twinkling lights and Yule Ball. It seems cheerful and cozy compared to the 2 - 5 books.

Speaking of Mike Newell, I was watching Traffic last night, and he produced it. I thought, what a range that guy has. It doesn't get much different, Traffic to Harry Potter.

darklord_grindelwald
June 3rd, 2004, 10:07 pm
I'm obsessed with Tim Burton's films (with the exception of Planet of the Apes, and maybe Beetle Juice, I didn't like it). Edward Scissorhands, Sleepy Hollow (and don't forget Nightmare Before Christmas) are masterpieces (especially visually). But to tell the truth, I don't think he will direct OotP.

But I would like to see Terry Gilliam too, he's great. Gore Verbinski would be a good choice (The Ring and Pirates of the Caribbean were really good), but he'll be busy with PotC 2-3.

And how about Jeane Pierre Jeunet? His Alien Resurrection was rather bad, but it was a creative and brave work. But Delicatessen, City of the Lost Boys (or sg. like that, i translated it from Hungarian), and Amelie were very-very good.

The main difficulties with OotP are (in my opinion) the dream/possession scenes. These will be hard, but an imaginative director could do it.

(PS.: sorry for language)

Frankie Inkblot
June 3rd, 2004, 10:07 pm
Tim Burton would be great as the director for OotP...I never thought of him. I think he'd sort of elevated the Hp series to a more adult level, though. Not that that's bad, I'd love that. (Then more of the people I hang around with would be into it)

Drusilla
June 4th, 2004, 5:25 pm
Alfonso Cuaron.He's done an amazing job with the third movie,and if he came back he'd have the advantage of being familiar with most of the cast and crew.Plus,he'd never let the movies get as obviously cliched and slavishly faithful to the books as Chris Colombus used to. Prisoner of Azkaban has restored my faith in the filmability of the Harry Potter books,and is the first-and only,so far-film to be worthy of being an adaptation of the books.And he did say he might return.I'm not giving up hope.
Peter Weir might be good,too-I loved Dead Poets' society.
Thing remains,Order of the Phoenix is the darkest of the series so far,and the movie will need a director who isn't afraid of that darkness,and doesn't try to sugar-coat things.It's also the most political of all the books,and for that you can't have a director who'd ignore or underplay that.Which is why I think Alfonso needs to be at the helm for this one.

Drusilla
June 4th, 2004, 5:29 pm
What about Joss Whedon?He didn't direct most of the Buffy episodes,but he still created the series and wrote most of it.He's good with subtlety and political commentary too-and he loves HP!What says everyone?

Pumpkin Juice
June 4th, 2004, 5:51 pm
Kenneth Branagh would be a not-great choice for it. He's used to a more classical style of directing, and has an extensive background in Shakespeare.
Yes, which is precisely why I think he would be a perfect choice. :)

rhtruluv
June 4th, 2004, 5:53 pm
;:(

Da_Chinkster
June 4th, 2004, 6:00 pm
For me its gotta be Cuaron his adaptation of PoA was great and I would love to see him direct another film

MadMagic
June 6th, 2004, 5:45 am
I would love to see Cauron come back to direct another one of the films. I don't think it will happen, but I would love to see it.

Drusilla
June 6th, 2004, 10:26 am
Terry Gilliam.He was the director JKR wanted for Philosopher's Stone,and I'm fairly positive he'd be one of the best (plus also,she's the creator of the series,so she'd have some idea of what'd work for it ).The other (I'm convinced of this after seeing Prisoner of Azkaban ) is Alfonso Cuaron.He's finally made a Potter movie that's a good one all on its own.And please,please,for the love of Harry,let them not put Chris Colombus in the director's seat again.He'd just botch it completely-and besides,I think Dan and Co. are much better under Alfonso.

remusjlupin1980
June 6th, 2004, 10:35 am
Alfonso Cuaron, according to an interview, is open to doing the film versions of either Book 5 or Book 6. But I think the best director for Book 5 is Terry Gilliam.

DarthSkywalker
June 6th, 2004, 10:41 am
Anyone but Cauron. Even Lucas could do better.

remusjlupin1980
June 6th, 2004, 10:51 am
Anyone but Cauron. Even Lucas could do better.

Lucas hasn't done a decent movie since the first Star Wars (A New Hope). He doesn't know squat how to direct actors. Just action scenes.

DarthSkywalker
June 6th, 2004, 11:02 am
Yeah, but atleast we will have a movie over 2 and a half hours.

If i had a choice it would be Joss Whedon, Peter Jackson, or Quentin Tarantino (I know impossible).

Asterismos
June 6th, 2004, 11:14 am
Cuaron!!!!! He did an EXCELLENT job. Brilliant. We'll have to see how the new directory for GoF does. Doing that as one film will be a challege, and if he does a good job he should be considered as well.

If I were a director for one of these films, I would never want to give up that spot!

Ron Lover
June 8th, 2004, 4:19 am
Now this is a good thread, there are so many possible directors that could do terrific things with OotP!

Tim Burton would be my first choice. He has that kind of zany artisic sense to him, kind of like Alfonso. I've loved all of Tim Burton's film, his set and costumes just everything. He also make you feel very much for the character he is shooting.

Peter Jackson would be really great, but I think it would be kind of a disappointment. He did wonders with LotR, but I think people would expect it to be like those movies, which Harry Potter is just totally different.

I also think Alfonso could do it again, he did an excellent job on PoA, I loved it much more than the previous ones. He has such a feel for the characters it's amazing.

oneveritas
June 8th, 2004, 5:07 am
I dunno... Cuaron did an amazing job on POA, and Burton/Tarantino/etc are all good ideas, but I think you really have to consider the action and theme of GOF.

There's way more action and potential SFX in GOF as well as a punchier plotline... perhaps they'll consider a director who's more in-tune with the action of the movie, rather than the mood of it? There are a billion ways to interpret GOF, but I always saw it as the book with the most obvious danger to it.

Of course, those directors all know how to handle action very well, so who am I to guess?

Godrics_Heiress
June 8th, 2004, 5:40 am
Although I did not enjoy PoA as much as I thought I would (it wasn't Cuaron, it was how the movie deviated a bit much from canon), I would like to see him direct OotP. I loved the cinematography and everything else in the PoA movie but how the plot was portrayed, and it's still undeniably a better film, IMO, than the first two regardless. Cuaron did a fantastic job and I'd be thrilled if he directs another Harry Potter film or two.

On the other hand, we have yet to see how Newell does and suffice to say, if he does a good job in Goblet of Fire, then he's another potential to direct another HP film.

Daniela
June 8th, 2004, 7:20 am
If anyone knows about magic and creating amazing worlds that's Spielberg but my guess is that he would have done better directing the first one. How can anyone bring down Peter Jackson? 11 Oscars baby! Anyway, I was thinking that the team behind "Being John Malkovich" and "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" would be an interesting choice. "Eternal" is the best movie I've seen this year, Jim Carey was so good I almost forgot it was him. But Cuaron should do the 5th, I can almost visualize the dueling scene, dark, cold . . .

eggplant
June 8th, 2004, 8:04 am
The perfect director for the fifth movie is Quentin Tarantino, there is simply no doubt about it. Harry is angry in much of Order Of The Phoenix and after seeing Kill Bill I’m convinced nobody, and I mean nobody, could bring that out better than Tarantino; and if we got him we might even fulfill my other dream, getting the most beautiful woman on the planet, Uma Thurman, to play the part of Bellatrix. I’ll tell you one thing; she would be brilliant, absolutely brilliant, in the action scenes at the Ministry Of Magic.

However we probably won’t be able to get Tarantino, so after seeing the excellent Azkaban movie I wouldn’t be too upset if Alfonso Cuaron came back to direct it.

I don’t want Peter Jackson getting anywhere near Harry Potter, I don’t want him in the same galaxy, I wouldn’t hire him to sweep the floor on a Potter set, his last movie, “The Ring Of The Something Or Another” was about 3 hours long but seemed to be 333 hours long, instead of popcorn they should sell no-doze at the concession stand.

Eggplant

mina
June 8th, 2004, 8:10 am
I don’t want Peter Jackson getting anywhere near Harry Potter, I don’t want him in the same galaxy, I wouldn’t hire him to sweep the floor on a Potter set

Me neither!

I think Gilliam might be an interesting choice, but so would Burton (then again I seem to like his films better when he is doing something more original, and not a book adaption, though then again again Big Fish was excellent...I guess I just can't make up my mind on that one). Speilberg might be interesting too...

ThruTheVeil
June 8th, 2004, 8:28 am
I would sooner let Mel Gibson direct OotP before I would want to see Cuaron work his "magic" on the series again. His directing style is unique and the perspective was refreshing; however, his idea of the world of Harry Potter and his ludicrous boundary of 2 1/2 hours are not what the series needs in the future. Peter Jackson won't work on the series, nor will Spielberg. I personally think Columbus could come back and make OotP quite good. Sticking to the book is especially important for OotP. If Cuaron were to direct it, Sirius would be pushed through the veil with cackling shrunken heads in the background. Now there's a wonderful interpretation. *insert sarcasm here* Newell is a possibility, but first I want to see how he does with GoF. I wouldn't mind Branagh, but I think we're being a bit unrealistic to think that Tim Burton or Quentin Tarrantino would accept the position. Burton would have Marilyn Manson play Sirius, and Tarrantino would start the movie out by killing Sirius, then work his way back to the beginning. Both of them are excellent directors, but I don't think their styles would fit well with Harry Potter. (If I had to choose from the two, I would pick Burton.)

Lyserg
June 19th, 2004, 10:26 pm
Sorry For The "Another Topic" :blush:

Here are the options:

Tim Burton:

Why Yes: He has lot of practice in BIG MOVIES and can easly work with the HP franchise, Director of "Sleepy Hollow", "Batman" and "Mars Attacks".

A Must in His Movies: His films often have a Gothic feel to them, often including Christmas and/or Halloween scenes and his Plots often focuses around a misunderstood outcast. He might not get in good terms with Rowling.

Next Project: "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory"

Guillermo del Toro:

Why Yes: Like all the Witchcraft, Magic and Spell Stuff, also a Mexian like Cuaron. Likes everything that is Dark and Evil. Director of "Blade 2" and "HellBoy". Was choosen to direct HP and PoA but he couldn't because he was doing "HellBoy", need a revenge!

A Must In His Movies: Many of his films have major scenes based in underground areas such as subways systems, sewers, or large basements.

Next Project: "HellBoy 2"

Terry Gilliam:

Why Yes: He attended the Premier of HP and PoA and the ones who had good ears heard he was in talks to be the director of a future HP Movie.
Director of: "Twelve Monkeys" and "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas".

A Must In His Movies: Often features people/animals bursting through walls or ceilings. Often begins and ends his films with the same shot

Next Project: "Good Omens"

Sam Mendes:

Why Yes: Another English and young director, an excelent director who won lots of awards and is very well known around the world. Director of "American Beauty" and "Road To Perdition". His name was once mention by Chris Colombus as a possible.

A Must In His Movies: None.

Next Project: "Sweeney Todd"

Those Are The Ones I'v heard... Any More?

soccergoddess24
June 20th, 2004, 1:08 am
go peter jackson! :tu: or maybe gore verbinski, who directed pirates of the caribbean, he was good...or tim burton who dircted sleepy hollow,big fish, edward scissorhands, and is now directing charlie and the chocolate factory...i think any one of these guys could pull it off!:)

Sredni Vashtar
June 20th, 2004, 1:30 am
The Coen Brothers would be a fun choice for one of the films. They are a demented duo with such classics under their belts as Fargo, Barton Fink, O Brother Where Art Thou, Raising Arizona, Bad Santa, and Hudsucker Proxy. The humor in their films is black, and they are great with imagery.

I especially like the burning hallway scene in Barton Fink. It's one of the most disturbing, yet compelling scenes in any movie.

But putting them at the helm of a Harry Potter film is about as likely as getting the likes of Kevin Smith or Tarantino (who would just make a mockery of the whole project).

Vendetta
June 20th, 2004, 1:56 am
I would have to consider hiring assassins if Jackson signed on as director.

Because in his version of LotR he managed to utterly **** over all the secondary characters bar Eowyn in order to make Aragorn look better. He ****ed up the relationship between Frodo and Sam, Faramir, Denethor, and Theoden were a disgrace, and the 'grand cavalry charge' that we're supposed to think saves the day at his version of Helm's Deep looked stupid and unreal, and was stupid. It would have ended up as five tons of Horsemeat if you'd tried that for real (and the charge against the Mumakil ain't much better either).

Gilliam would probably be a good choice, but he needs to be locked in a room and not allowed out until he agrees to start on Good Omens, and if you could make a time machine and get Spielberg circa Raiders of the Lost Ark to do it, that would be cool too. He has, unfortuately, lost it utterly since then (as shown in AI and everything in Minority Report past the end of the original story)

Tim Burton might be good as well, if we can surgically remove the parts of his brain that were responsible for Planet of the Apes

icecubecat14
June 20th, 2004, 6:56 am
i think tim burton would make the Hp TOO gothic and dark then it needs to be

Jedi Potter
June 20th, 2004, 7:26 am
What did I say previously about Tolkien fans, Jackson created a masterpiece. LOTR are great movies who cares if he changed things that stuff would never work on film. Still I wouldn't want him on Harry Potter but it is more because I don't think it would work, he has no experience with kids and he would probably want to ship the project to New Zealand :p Seriously he will probably want to stay away from another fantasy film for a while. I am all for Cuaron actually I think he would do a great job, but I think Gilliam would be a good choice too.

nhut
June 20th, 2004, 10:13 am
What did I say previously about Tolkien fans, Jackson created a masterpiece. LOTR are great movies who cares if he changed things that stuff would never work on film. Still I wouldn't want him on Harry Potter but it is more because I don't think it would work, he has no experience with kids ...Actually, he cast 16-year-old Melanie Lynskey and a 17 year old Kate Winslet in their first films. :)

Jedi Potter
June 21st, 2004, 5:56 am
I didn't know that. Still I don't think Jackson would do it, doubt he would want to do a second fantasy series.

Master Bere
June 21st, 2004, 6:30 am
I would love to see Cuaron back, and also Terry Gilliam, although I'm not familiarized with his work, I know that Rowling wanted him and that's a good sign but I don't remember why he didn't direct the first, if he wasn't interested so that's a lost cause... anyway my final words, I want Cuaron back!! :p

Sredni Vashtar
June 21st, 2004, 6:54 am
Gilliam can be an acquired taste, but I happen to love most of his work. He not only knows dark humor, but has a sense of whimsy and fantasy that many other directors lack.

You are familiar with his work if you have seen any Monty Python movies, since he directed most of them. He was also their animator.

The movies I'd advise seeing are as follows:

The Adventures of Baron Munchausen (shows his technique with fantasy film)
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (shows how well he can adapt a book to screen)
12 Monkeys (he can do time travel, too!)
Time Bandits (directs children and dwarves very well)
Brazil (just because it's one of my favorite flicks, and it's hella weird)

I've heard Brothers Grimm is fantastic, but it hasn't been released in my area yet.

He would have been a great choice for Goblet of Fire, but he'd also do well with Order of the Phoenix. However, I agree with a previous poster in that I'd rather he got off his butt and start/finish Good Omens first.

remusjlupin1980
June 21st, 2004, 6:57 am
I think Terry Gilliam will do VERY WELL with OoTP since many of OoTP's themes and even visuals were derived directly from Gilliam's own Brazil (notice how the Ministry of Information LOOKS suspiciously like the way J.K. described the Ministry of Magic).

Sredni Vashtar
June 21st, 2004, 6:59 am
That's just what we need: a Sam Lowry wizard trying to appease Fudge while all the other worker wizards slack off behind Fudge's back. Then again, Fudge IS an awful lot like the boss character in Brazil.

harripottrfreek
June 21st, 2004, 7:44 am
I like Jackson as a director but I think he would be wrong for the HP films. It just doesn't seem like him. LotR felt like him, but HP doesn't.

I don't understand why people hate Columbus...I think he did a great job on the first two movies and I hope he returns later in the series (but not for the 5th one).

I think that Cuaron will come back and direct another HP film because he wants too, he just needs a break right now. Personally I think he would be perfect for OotP because it is so much darker and whatnot than the other Potter books. The only thing I would have a problem with if he did come back is his thoughts on the length of the movie. Considering this book is well over 800 pages he would have to make a very long movie or split it into two films (which is something I don't think he would want to do)...I would like to see him direct that, but not if he's going to cut a lot out to make the movie short.

Spielberg could be good, but I'm not entirely sure with this pick either. Actually I think he would be good if he didn’t do anything like AI or Minority Report. I think Tim Burton would do a good job directing the films, but I have my worries that he would try to add humor in the wrong parts and I don’t know I have my doubts about Burton, oh Johnny Depp would have a cameo...Fletcher maybe.
Kenneth Branagh would also be a good choice I think…I mean he knows some of the cast and the crew and I think he could do a good job on the movie…well maybe not this one…but I would like to see him direct a HP movie… Gore Verbinski would be interesting but I think risky. If he truly cared about the HP movies and books and whatnot then I could see it, but I would need to be reassured about that before I gave it to him.

Raethul
June 21st, 2004, 8:57 pm
I'm hoping against hope that Cuaron returns for OotP. :tu: PoA was gorgeous, and this was the first film that I feel actually did justice to its book counterpart. Most of the complaints I've heard about his directing has to do with him cutting something they deemed important. Without going on a rant I would just like to point out: J.K. Rowling is monitoring this for Heaven's sake!

*Cough* With that out of the way...
Now, I don't hate Columbus, but I do not want him directing any other HP films. He delves too much into "kiddie wonder," which was appropriate for the first film, but as the series matures isn't needed. I also don't like the "page by page" movie feel the first two have. If I want that, I will read the books; I want an ADAPTION, not the book with moving pictures. I was disappointed with PS, but I did like CoS alright. However, I will never be able to get that **** Bicentennial Man movie out of my head or those stupid Home Alone movies I was forced to endure about 100 times.

As much as I love LotR and think Peter Jackson is a skilled director, I think he would be very ill-matched to direct OotP. The styles of story-telling are horribly different, despite parallels that some draw to the plots. Also, if people were upset with what Cuaron did with PoA they would be having conniption fits over OotP if the same cuts and changes were made in comparison to the LotR movies. Also, as someone mentioned before, PJ doesn't adore HP as much as he did LotR. He also has a tendency to "up-the-ante" quite often, which I think is unnecessary. (There would be about a 100 Death Eaters to 6 in the DoM and they would have to escape before the building self-destructed :rotfl: ).

I would love Tim Burton to direct OotP after my choice of Cuaron, but I don't know if he'll do it. I've never seen anything from Newell except about 1/5 of Mona Lisa Smile, and that was hideous. I don't think it very fair to judge him on one movie alone, so I'll have to wait and see GoF.

Jedi Potter
June 22nd, 2004, 1:54 am
The Best movie I have seen from Newel is Donnie Brasco staring Johnny Depp and Al Pacino that was a heck of a movie. About Columbus his style fits more with the first two films, I don't think he is right for the darker part of the story.

LuvRed
June 22nd, 2004, 6:34 am
Top 10 (just random picks from my favorite films)
1. Wes Craven-Scream
2. M.Night Shalayman-Signs
3. Tim Burton-Big Fish
4. Ang Lee-Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
5.Cameron Crowe-Vanilla Sky
6.William Friedkin- The Exorcist
7.Stephen Sommers-Van Helsing and The Mummy Series
8.Robert Zemeckis-What Lies Beneath
9.Walter Murch-Return to Oz
10.Jane Campion-The Piano

Jedi Potter
June 22nd, 2004, 6:58 am
Would love to see Shalayman do it but I don't think it will happen. I think the best bet on that list might be Burton and maybe Crowe the others I just don't see doing it and I rather Sommers keep away from Harry Potter.

remusjlupin1980
June 22nd, 2004, 7:59 am
Two more to be added to the ones mentioned:

Agnieszka Holland - She directed a very well-received film version of The Secret Garden some years back (with Maggie Smith, no less).

P.J. Hogan - I thought 2003 version of Peter Pan is an underrated piece of work. I think he could really do well with Potter.

Lord_Chatterley
June 23rd, 2004, 2:16 am
Has anyone seen Lost and Delirious? the director is Lea Pool, she's great in portraying all the anger of teenagers.

Sredni Vashtar
June 23rd, 2004, 6:45 am
You could always try to get the guy who directed City of Lost Children, Amelie, and Delicatessen for the darkest of the books. They're great with dark imagery.

Falcon121
June 23rd, 2004, 7:01 am
Mike Newell is the new director...check it (http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v290/falcon121/malkovich.jpg) out...the article was scanned from the asian movie Mag called FiRST...

natalie272
June 23rd, 2004, 8:55 am
I love Peter Jacksons work also, as some of the early posters were stating that he would be a good advocate to fulfill the role of director for OOTP. But i just don't think his portrayal of film would suit the context of Harry Potter. Harry Potter is such a intermix of surreality with reality which is hard to imagine and with all the underlying meanings, character depth and mystery and back story i wouldn't pick Pete. He's definatly a hobbit through and through. I like the choice of Mike Newell for GOF. He'll definitley bring an eccentric and spooky/magical atmosphere to the film that is definatly needed for the portrayal of GOF. I like the idea of the guy who directed the Secret Garden to be director... I havn't had a chance to look up all the directors on other lists, but it needs someone who can explore many complex intertwined plot lines with the backstory of the other films and the forboding mysterious atmosphere that is previlent throughout OoTP. Any Suggestions?

Lord_Chatterley
June 23rd, 2004, 10:37 pm
Sredni is talking about Jean Pierre jeunet! I think he would have been great for GoF, though.

dog star
July 11th, 2004, 11:06 pm
Given what I saw in PoA, my first choice would be Alfonso Cuaron. PoA is obviously the darkest of the first three books, and although GoF could be argued to be slightly darker because of the violence at the end, I was quite impressed with how Cuaron brought a gothic nature to the events of the novel -- something I think would be well suited to a portrayal of OotP. We need someone who would do a good job portraying Harry's frustration and anger with his life situation, and Cuaron started bringing elements of that in with PoA, and did a very good job of it. He proved himself to me with PoA, and if he wants to do another HP movie, I would love it if he would lend his creative mind to OotP. :)

TheWizardOfWA
July 12th, 2004, 1:57 am
Maybe it's a bit of a flight of fancy...but I'd love to see Hayao Miyazaki give it a shot. Yeah, I know that all of his stuff is animated, but I still would like to see it. His movies have always done a great job of blending strong emotion content with mystery and magic. Plus he potrays teenagers/children very well in his movies, i.e. Spirited Away.

MemeHilario
July 12th, 2004, 1:59 am
How bout Quintin Tarantino, he'd make a great fight scene were everybody is dueling :)

~Tonks~
July 12th, 2004, 2:00 am
I personally think Tim Burton would make it too gothic. That's just me.

I like Cuaron or Peter Jackson. I really liked Curaon's work on PoA and Peter Jackson was amazing with LoTR.

guitarzan8
July 12th, 2004, 4:43 am
If we're bringing back a previous director then i'd say let's get alfonso cuaron back at the helm.

POA's Visual style was fantastic.

But if it's new blood we're after then i think i gotta vote for gore verbinski.

I think he'd do a fantastic job with the visuals in Ootp.

Jedi Potter
July 12th, 2004, 5:00 am
I say bring Cuaron back that would be the best move, I think they should be announcing that stuff soon, they anounced, Newel during filming of POA.

latiem
July 12th, 2004, 5:15 am
Mike Newell is the new director...check it (http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v290/falcon121/malkovich.jpg) out...the article was scanned from the asian movie Mag called FiRST...

WOW thats all I have to say I think Malkovich would be great as Voldemort thank you for the bit of info you should send it in to the Latest News team.

Now for Director of the fourth I would like to see the job he does before counting him in the list but I also feel that either Steven Spielberg,Peter Jackson or Tim Burton would be fine choices. I think Columbus did what he did with series as much as possible so he's done I don't think he should be considered.

guitarzan8
July 12th, 2004, 5:37 am
WOW thats all I have to say I think Malkovich would be great as Voldemort thank you for the bit of info you should send it in to the Latest News team.

Now for Director of the fourth I would like to see the job he does before counting him in the list but I also feel that either Steven Spielberg,Peter Jackson or Tim Burton would be fine choices. I think Columbus did what he did with series as much as possible so he's done I don't think he should be considered.

Malkovich as voldemort is a FANTASTIC choice.

but as for peter jackson. I gotta give a big NO to that.

not becuase i think he'd do a bad job (in fact i think he'd do a fantastic job), But becuase i'd rather he not get pulled away fom making king-kong and then the hobbit.

My first choice though so far would be gore verbinski. terry gilliam a close second.

TheWizardOfWA
July 12th, 2004, 7:43 am
How bout Quintin Tarantino, he'd make a great fight scene were everybody is dueling :)

Hmmmmm, what would the title be with Tarantino directing......"Harry Potter and the Chamber of the Gimp" perhaps? Brrrrrrrrr, that's a scary thought! :scared:

DarkThunder
July 12th, 2004, 7:51 am
Cuaron :d

Xx EmmaLovr xX
July 12th, 2004, 8:05 am
Okay, we want this movie to be good right? To get a good movie, you need a good director, and a good screenwriter. So far, I have been disappointed by Chris Columbus's version of the first two years at Hogwarts. I don't know what it is about it, but it just didnt feel right when I saw it. I think it could've been much better.

Anyway, now that CC is out of the picture, what director could capture everything in this book and put it on the screen so that the fans (who's opinion is the most important one) are happy with the way things were potrayed in the film?

Now, don't get me wrong, I know the film can't be exactly like the book. But, this book in particular has a lot of new things that should be introduced the right way.

My pick for the new director is going to be Peter Jackson, because Im a huge fan of the LOTR books and I think he is the best of all directors who have done book to film adaptations because he knows where to put things and where to add things so that the movie has the right feel and the fans are happy.

On another note, I think the score for the two movies have been absolutley wonderful, so thats definetly one thing that I don't want to change for the fifth movie. Only, it should most definetly be darker and gloomier, and sadder, especially towards the end.

Your thoughts?

I agree completely with you when you say that peter jackson should be the director because what better director for a movie with such great potential than the director of the greatest movie = Lord of the Rings ROTK

if he is the dirctor i am shure that OoTP will be a stunning hit!

by the way as a conclusion to my previous post i also think that they should use Ian McKellen the actor who plays gandalf in LOTR as Dumbledore because Ian is an amazing actor.

.:tehanu:.
July 12th, 2004, 8:08 am
Bringing Alfonso Cuaron Back would be a great idea, the tone of PoA was just right in my opinion.

I personally would like Tim Burton to do OotP, in a style that's a kind of mix between Big Fish -magic, and all that-, Edward Scissorhands -there's something so Dursley-ish in that neighborhood- and Sleepy Hollow -maybe number 12 Grimmauld Place?- but if the man keeps handling so many projects at the same time it's not likely to happen...

Gore Verbinski is also a fine choice, and Jean-Pierre Jeunet would be very cool and insane :cool:

Mega
July 12th, 2004, 8:12 am
I'd like to see Joss Whedon direct OotP. He made Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel. I know the chances of him getting the role are a billion to one but I think he would do great. On his shows he managed to blend action, horror, comedy and drama easily and is also very good with the camera angles (just see the opening episode of Angel season 5). He's also a very funny guy so he would bring a sense of fun to the set.

Jedi Potter
July 12th, 2004, 8:41 am
Problem with Wheldon he has never directed a feature film, he is a more of writer. I could go with Burton, he is an awesome director be curious to see what he would do with a Harry Potter movie. Also Terry Gilliam would be a good choice.

Emaratioryx
July 12th, 2004, 12:12 pm
Everytime I think of Alfonso Cuaron I get so frustrated because I remember the scene of Hogsmeade when Harry found out about Sirius.Boy that was SO messed up!

I would go for Steven Speilberg

DarkThunder
July 12th, 2004, 12:29 pm
Everytime I think of Alfonso Cuaron I get so frustrated because I remember the scene of Hogsmeade when Harry found out about Sirius.Boy that was SO messed up!

I would go for Steven Speilberg

I dunno...Speilberg's style seems best to things that have futuristic elements

Magical_Me
July 12th, 2004, 1:10 pm
Don't blame poor Cuaron for that boy's acting.

Yes, I was joking.

Well, I should really reserve judgement until I see Newell on GoF, he may very well be good enough for a repeat job. As it stands, however, I'm liking the idea of Cuaron returning. The chance seems slim, but I can hope. Just as long as Columbus doesn't come back anywhere near the series. He's already tainted it, but it was redeemed in PoA.

Spielberg would not be an ideal choice. I don't know why, but I don't think it's Spielberg's thing.

FreyaCrescent
July 12th, 2004, 5:53 pm
I would really like to see Cuaron direct another HP movie, I loved his work with PoA, he captured the darker tone of the book wonderfully. I could really see him bring the incredibly dark atmosphere of OotP to life on the big screen. The fifth book has settings and events which I think would really appeal to Cuaron's style - he added some rather gothic elements to PoA which would really be suitable for OotP. I'd love to see him return for Phoenix.

dog star
July 12th, 2004, 6:25 pm
The fifth book has settings and events which I think would really appeal to Cuaron's style - he added some rather gothic elements to PoA which would really be suitable for OotP. I'd love to see him return for Phoenix.

Can you imagine his interpretation of 12 Grimmauld Place? I daresay he'd do a wonderful job with it. :)

Jedi Potter
July 12th, 2004, 7:11 pm
As for Spielberg I am not sure I think he could do it, and make a great movie, but I am not sure he would give up as much control as the directors have had to give up to do it.

guitarzan8
July 12th, 2004, 8:10 pm
It's
really too bad Stanly kubrick is dead because i would LOVE to see his take on OotP

ripper48
July 12th, 2004, 8:20 pm
I'd love to see Cuaron give it another go with OotP. I doubt that it would happen because on the one hand, I've heard that Cuaron said that he wouldn't mind returning, but I think that's just interview fluff (you know, when everyone says what a great time they all had together and that they'd love working together again bla bla), as I've heard rumors that Cuaron will be occupied, and that he doesn't truly want to return.

Still, if possible, I'd love to see him back. His style would really fit with the story being told in OotP.

Mega
July 12th, 2004, 9:50 pm
As for Spielberg I am not sure I think he could do it, and make a great movie, but I am not sure he would give up as much control as the directors have had to give up to do it.

Yeah but the fact that he has been the head of three succesful shows for the last 7 years and that he has directed loads of one hour episodes show he does have the skill. Besides he is currently filming his debut as a film director with Serenity (the movie version of Firefly).

eggplant
July 12th, 2004, 10:54 pm
It's
really too bad Stanly kubrick is dead because i would LOVE to see his take on OotP

I could not agree with you more, Kubrick was a genius, what a movie he would have made! The next best thing would be for Quentin Tarantino to direct OotP, and he has the advantage of being alive. I’m dreaming so I might as well go all out and dream of Uma Thurman playing Bellatrix too.
Eggplant

Serenity Wynd
July 12th, 2004, 11:13 pm
Everyone keeps talking about how Chris Columbus was horrible. I don't think so, I believed he did a fair job in introducing us to the world of Harry Potter. Mind you the following has very little to do with his directing, but bear with me. He was one of the few who got HP set into motion remember? His nieces/nephews or something similar made him read the books, he fell in love with HP just like we all did. He then bought the rights to produce the HP series(if I am wrong in anyway feel free to correct me). He did the too justice, and as for the trio's acting improving, no one is perfect in their first film, so they got better each time. That's how it is for all actors. Finally, he DID have his hands in the making of POA, or did some of you forget that? He helped Cuaron out some, he helped with the transition from movies/stories/directors. He also had a say(even if small) in who the director was. If he hadn't had produced/directed the first two, who knows how things would've been, we could've waited another 5 years before a movie had been made, if at all. Remember that Jo herself was rejected many times by other publishers before her current publishers decided to give her and Harry a chance. Which we're all grateful. So to make a long story short, give the guy some credit!
As for my opinion, go with Jo's first choice. Till we see GoF, we'll have to wait and see.

daniel4hp
July 12th, 2004, 11:28 pm
I dunno...Speilberg's style seems best to things that have futuristic elements
Futuristic elements like those in Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, and Catch Me If You Can, to name a few of Spielberg's films?

Jedi Potter
July 13th, 2004, 12:56 am
I think Spielberg could do a great Harry Potter film, but the problem is he might want too much control, he seems that kind of director, who knows maybe he will bend some but I doubt it.

daniel4hp
July 13th, 2004, 1:46 am
I doubt it too. As you say, he seems to be a director who likes to be in control. But there's no doubt he's tallented, although personally, I would have chosen him for GoF, not OotP.

Lord_Chatterley
July 13th, 2004, 1:50 am
What about Jodie Foster to direct OotP?

fire_fly052
July 13th, 2004, 2:22 am
Given what I saw in PoA, my first choice would be Alfonso Cuaron. PoA is obviously the darkest of the first three books, and although GoF could be argued to be slightly darker because of the violence at the end, I was quite impressed with how Cuaron brought a gothic nature to the events of the novel -- something I think would be well suited to a portrayal of OotP. We need someone who would do a good job portraying Harry's frustration and anger with his life situation, and Cuaron started bringing elements of that in with PoA, and did a very good job of it. He proved himself to me with PoA, and if he wants to do another HP movie, I would love it if he would lend his creative mind to OotP. :)

I agree..I was very pleased with the new direction of Cuaron. I think for GoF and OotP, his taste would do these next two movies justice. :tu:

Jedi Potter
July 13th, 2004, 2:54 am
I doubt it too. As you say, he seems to be a director who likes to be in control. But there's no doubt he's tallented, although personally, I would have chosen him for GoF, not OotP.

Yeah he is better at adventure stories. Although he can do very dark stuff, see AI and Minority Report.

IceKat55
July 13th, 2004, 3:06 am
Tim Burton, easily. Would LOVE to see what he could do with the HP 'verse!! And can't wait to see what he (and Johnny Depp) does with Charlie & the Chocolate Factory! :clap:

ginger cat
July 13th, 2004, 3:12 am
I'd like to see Joss Whedon direct OotP. He made Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel. I know the chances of him getting the role are a billion to one but I think he would do great. On his shows he managed to blend action, horror, comedy and drama easily and is also very good with the camera angles (just see the opening episode of Angel season 5). He's also a very funny guy so he would bring a sense of fun to the set.
I agree!! :tu: Joss Whedon would do a great job! He knows how to relate to teenagers (he would bring out the best in the characters and the actors) which he showed brilliantly on Buffy and Angel.

Jedi Potter
July 13th, 2004, 3:16 am
I doubt WB would pick somebody with no major movie experience for their biggest franchise though. They might take an unusual pick but they will give it to somebody who has directed big movies. Burton is a possbility especially since he is doing Charley and the Chocolate Factor for WB they might try to sign him for OOTP next. I say its between him, Cuaron, and Gilliam or somebody we haven't heard of to take it on. I think we will have an anoucement before the end of the year, maybe although they don't start filming until 2006 so they might wait till next year sometime.

ripper48
July 13th, 2004, 12:04 pm
I don't know if I'd like to see Burton take over.

PoA definitely had some Burton elements, but...with Burton, it really is a style over story matter, and most of his movies are pretty weak in story and in character drive.

Personally, I wouldn't want to see him go for OotP.

And about Spielberg, no disrespect to him of course, I love a lot of his movies, but I feel that he may go for a lighter version with Harry Potter. And that's exactly what we don't need for the later books. I know that he can make a dark and scary movie, but I just have a feeling he'd go for a kiddie, E.T-ish, lighter version of Harry Potter. And we had that already with Columbus, and I wouldn't want to see that come back.

(No disrespect to Columbus either, and as Serenity Wynd said, we should be grateful to Columbus for directing the first two, and, according to what I know, Columbus himself was the one who offered the job to Alfonso Cuaron. However, I just feel that after what Cuaron showed us, the Columbus movies really seem dull and light to me. That doesn't mean though that I thought they were awful. I still find them rather enjoyable.)

MissMichelle
July 15th, 2004, 5:52 pm
I would like to see Tim Burton direct OOtP, and it would be cool to see what Quentin Tarantino could do with it

Kimmetje
July 15th, 2004, 5:58 pm
I think Spielberg would do a nice job directing the film! :p

TaraBrady
July 15th, 2004, 6:40 pm
I seem to remember Spielberg being considered for SS/PS, and being vetoed by Jo for, among other reasons, wanting to cast Haley Joel Osment as Harry. He might possibly have been good for the first two, but after PoA, going to Spielberg for OotP would feel like going back to Columbus. Not that Columbus didn't do a fabulous job, but the first two films had an innocence that wouldn't work for the later ones.

I'm not too sure about Burton, either. I'd really have to think about that one. He really is all about style, Ripper, you're right there, but I think he did right by the Batman franchise. If he was willing to really respect the books, he could do a great job. But I think it would be another re-imagining a la Cuaron's PoA.

The WB's track record so far has tended away from really huge name directors: their films have been big, but they're not really name-above-the-title directors. Hiring Spielberg, Burton, or someone else along those lines would be an odd departure so late in the series, and would seem like a stunt to gain publicity for the franchise at a point where it has long since proved it can stand on its own.

guitarzan8
July 28th, 2004, 9:50 pm
While the current talk is that columbus is interested in returning for Ootp, i reaaly hope they go with either cuaron or a new director for Ootp.

Might a throw out another suggestion in the form of steven soderbergh.

The man who did ocean's eleven and traffic and erin brockovich.

In all of his films he has an ability to really draw out emotional moments on screen.

I think of all the directors mentioned he could make sirius's death the heartbreaking emotional moment on screen that it should be.

Death Eaters
July 29th, 2004, 6:03 am
I just want someone who won't cut out half the book and take out important characters..

icecubecat14
July 29th, 2004, 7:40 am
my dad told me that spielberg wasnt allowed to do it cause he wanted to make it really modern or something..

remusjlupin1980
July 29th, 2004, 7:59 am
my dad told me that spielberg wasnt allowed to do it cause he wanted to make it really modern or something..

Rumors say that he wanted to cast Haley Joel Osment as Harry and he isn't British.