What did Dumbledore see in the Mirror of Erised?

Pages : [1] 2

rock_ally
July 12th, 2004, 11:48 pm
Im sorry if there is another thread about this, i didn't find one.

Im not convinced, and i don't think many people are, about what Dumbledore says he sees int he Mirror of erised. he says he sees socks, but i don't know.

What are your thoughts?

the kryle
July 12th, 2004, 11:52 pm
i dont think that he relly saw socks, but who knows he might have just said that to say something that wouldnt scare harry, but it could have been socks who knows.

starxgazer
July 13th, 2004, 12:02 am
i dont think that he relly saw socks, but who knows he might have just said that to say something that wouldnt scare harry, but it could have been socks who knows.

:rotfl: He probably saw something else but, he said that he saw socks so he didn't scare Harry, because scaring Harry is probably the last thing that Dumbledore would of wanted to do to Harry.

scouse_7
July 13th, 2004, 12:03 am
maybe he seen harry dying or something like that.or maybe he would jus see the socks because i'd think he'd have whatever he wants because he is the most powerful wizard in the world.

angel spirit
July 13th, 2004, 12:05 am
He most likely saw Harry triumphing over Voldemort. In Order of the Phoenix, we see how much effort Dumbledore put into his "grand plan". He didn't tell Harry though because he wanted to prolong the moment before he told him about the prophecy.

Malfada
July 13th, 2004, 12:11 am
JKR have never spoken of the Dumbledore's familly. If that dumbledor see in the mirror is in ratio with this??? It's just a idea... otherwise, I think is in ratio with harry... The only dumbledore's aim is the hapiness of harry.

PatrickvD
July 13th, 2004, 12:16 am
He saw Voldemort defeated by Harry... I really can't think of anything else

Gwenog Jones
July 13th, 2004, 12:27 am
I'm sure he saw something to do with Harry and Voldemort, but he did not want to tell him because he thought Harry was too young.

This thread may have some interesting theories: Mirror of the Erised theories (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=12732)

Charly tha girl
July 13th, 2004, 12:34 am
I'd have to go with Dumbledore seeing "a Voldemort conquered by Harry" too.
And it's obviously you can't say something like that to an 11-year-old boy who doesn't know about the prophecy yet. It would probably have changed the plots of all the books! ;)

Malfada
July 13th, 2004, 12:37 am
I think you are wrong, dumbledore want preserve a normal life for harry and see him beat over voldemort isen't the best fashion for that...

jaedi
July 13th, 2004, 12:46 am
I think Dumbledore really did see socks in the Mirror of Erised. Maybe it's just what he really desires, but I think that socks might symbolize freedom/release from all of his burdens a la house elf. If it's not that, there must be another reason Dumbledore sees himself with socks in the Mirror. That leads me to wonder why someone hasn't given him the socks he sees. There must be some reason for this.

Charly tha girl
July 13th, 2004, 12:46 am
I think you are wrong, dumbledore want preserve a normal life for harry and see him beat over voldemort isen't the best fashion for that...

Well, you've got me convinced immediately! :D

ravenfeather
July 13th, 2004, 1:13 am
i haven't got any idea what DD sw in the mirror, but i'm pretty sure it wasn't socks or, at least, it wasn't JUST socks. c'mon, even harry didn't believe that!

pp 214 AmEd SS:

It was only when he was back in bed that it struck Harry that Dumbledore might not have been quite truthful. But, then, he thought, as he shoved Scabbers off his pillow, it had been quite a personal question.

jaedi
July 13th, 2004, 1:21 am
Maybe.... Perhaps Dumbledore saw Harry destroying Voldemort, but he didn't want to reveal that to Harry at that stage in the game because Harry wouldn't have understood... Dumbledore might have been too "caring", like he said at the end of the OotP.

ornjbreezy
July 13th, 2004, 1:29 am
If Dumbledore was telling the truth, which I doubt, I think he saw socks because he would wish for all of his deepest desires to simply be gone and instead have nothing to wish for but something simple.
If he was lying, which I think he was, I think he would have seen Harry happy or himself happy or heck, even Harry with his family. I think it's kind of strange that Dumbledore knew what Harry saw. I know he might have just guessed, but I don't know if I'd want him knowing My deepest desire. I think Harry really deserves to see what he saw now (so I hope JK lets us see what Dumbledore saw!).

Arabellatrix
July 13th, 2004, 1:30 am
What if he actually did see socks though? As in he knew Harry would defeat Voldemort from and early stage ... maybe ...

Thorofasgard13
July 13th, 2004, 1:39 am
I truly believe that he didn' see socks but perhaps ......Harry as an old man like him winking back at him meaning that he had defeated voldemort and lived.

ania
July 13th, 2004, 8:26 pm
Well, it is not terribly unlikely that DD saw a pair of socks, as he is a rather eccentric old man himself.

While I was reading over the previous posts, something struck me as rather odd. Dumbledore supposedly saw socks in the Mirror and Dobby the house elf's favourite article of clothing are socks. I'm not saying Dobby and DD have a sort of connection, but that they share an uncanny similarity.

Till
July 13th, 2004, 8:26 pm
I thought he said something about a new pair of socks, but I haven't read book 1 in a while so I'm not sure.:)

BabyNorbert
July 13th, 2004, 8:35 pm
I think he probably did see socks. I don't know why I think this really, perhaps it is because Dumbledore is so wise and mysterious, I also agree with Jaedi that it may be something to do with House elves and freedom, as House elves have become more and more important throughout the series of HP books.

riley5825
July 13th, 2004, 8:39 pm
hmm...i never really thought about it before...but i dont think he saw socks

Cedric_Lupin
July 13th, 2004, 8:43 pm
I'd say he saw Harry killing Voldemort

Incanus
July 13th, 2004, 8:43 pm
It wouldn't be exactly wise to tell a 11-years-old-boy that you saw him dueling and killing the greatest dark wizard of all time. What would he say then? Harry would ask why it was his greatest wish, etc... I believe it was this what he saw, but thought it was wise and prudent to hide the truth from Harry.

cedricpatrick
July 13th, 2004, 8:48 pm
I bet he saw The world without conflict, isn't that what he always striving for? keeping everything in line, and getting rid of voldie?

HPshipper
July 13th, 2004, 8:55 pm
I agree with many of these posts. I believe Dumbledore saw the Prophecy fulfulled and Harry triumphing over Voldemort. But he couldn't tell Harry because he was only 11 and that kinda responsibility would drive him nuts at that age.

aish
July 13th, 2004, 8:57 pm
I don't think he would have seen harry die... it is not his deepest desire

fleur822
July 13th, 2004, 8:57 pm
i think that because dumbledore is already a very contented man, it is fully possible all he saw were socks. however, because harry asked him, he oculdve made the sock thing up because it was about harry and voldemort. i dont know. itll probably be cleared up later.

FredWeasleyJr
July 13th, 2004, 9:08 pm
since Dumbledore isnt the kind of man to lie, i think all he saw was either a pair of socks indeed or just himself.

but while im thinking about it maybe he saw himself forever on a chocolate frog card...he is pretty fond of them...or even!! a lifetime supply of Bertie Bott's...o nevermind now im just rambling on

zay4dan
July 13th, 2004, 9:09 pm
JKR have never spoken of the Dumbledore's familly. If that dumbledor see in the mirror is in ratio with this??? It's just a idea... otherwise, I think is in ratio with harry... The only dumbledore's aim is the hapiness of harry.

yeah he has a brother called Aberforth

ktbspa420
July 13th, 2004, 9:21 pm
I think JKR will definately reveal what he saw, probably not until book seven though. I don't think she ever puts something in for no reason, or at least not anything DD ever says. He's her wisest and most mysterious character, after all. When he mentioned the dissapearing bathroom, I don't remember which book, it turned out to be very important in book 5. I think DD is like Hamlet, he only acts kind of crazy or quirky to throw people off. Some people think Hamlet really was crazy though...but that's OT...

Incanus
July 13th, 2004, 9:32 pm
since Dumbledore isnt the kind of man to lie, i think all he saw was either a pair of socks indeed or just himself.

but while im thinking about it maybe he saw himself forever on a chocolate frog card...he is pretty fond of them...or even!! a lifetime supply of Bertie Bott's...o nevermind now im just rambling on

Actually, is not a matter of being or not a kind of man to lie. He may have lied to protect Harry. It's at least disturbing to a child to know that you have to kill a powerful wizard such as Voldemort.

bethp
July 13th, 2004, 9:37 pm
I forgot about about the socks in the mirror...

New Theory:
Dumbledore is ...wait for it
Dobby the House Elf :rotfl:

okay... joking aside, I think its possible he did see socks I mean he is a bit batty. Its also possible he did see a final battle with HP winning.

ktbspa420
July 13th, 2004, 9:40 pm
DD is definately not batty. It's all just a cover. He wouldn't let the kids see his real self, it would freak them out too much. He probably doesn't even let the other teachers (or other members of oof) know what's really going on in his head. That's why he paces all the time in his office.

bethp
July 13th, 2004, 9:46 pm
maybe batty is the right word then...but eccentric...I was not trying to say crazy just a little different...I don't think his personality is a front at all...I think he is genuinely a nice slightly off person with a lot of power. I think he paces his office because he worries, and is thinking and planning

pince11
July 13th, 2004, 9:51 pm
We know now, from OotP that Dumbledore was doing alot of lying to Harry, (or at least omission of the truth) during PS/SS. I think this "I saw socks in the mirror" thing was another kind, gentle, humor-ful lie. If the mirror truly shows, even to an advanced wizard like DD, "nothing more or less than the deepest, most desperate desire of our hearts", then I think that even this early in the story, Dumbledore saw Harry happy, safe, and well.

IceKat55
July 14th, 2004, 12:45 am
I forgot about about the socks in the mirror...

New Theory:
Dumbledore is ...wait for it
Dobby the House Elf :rotfl:

*smacks forehead with hand* Absolutely!! That explains Dobby's love of socks! Why didn't I see it before?! :rotfl:

Elrod Ubramowic
July 14th, 2004, 1:10 am
If Dumbledore was telling the truth, which I doubt, I think he saw socks because he would wish for all of his deepest desires to simply be gone and instead have nothing to wish for but something simple.
If he was lying, which I think he was, I think he would have seen Harry happy or himself happy or heck, even Harry with his family. I think it's kind of strange that Dumbledore knew what Harry saw. I know he might have just guessed, but I don't know if I'd want him knowing My deepest desire. I think Harry really deserves to see what he saw now (so I hope JK lets us see what Dumbledore saw!).

Dumbledore knew what Harry saw in the mirror because he was invisible in the room when Harry and Ron described to each other what they saw in the mirror. There was nothing magic about Dumbledore's knowledge.

phoenixfeather7
July 14th, 2004, 1:15 am
I think that Dumbledore really did see socks. Socks are very powerful a lot of people need them. Even in the wizarding world

DayVirgo
July 14th, 2004, 4:53 am
I always figured socks stood for something else. For me, a nice good pair of socks are warm, clean, and can be a comforting feeling. Maybe have a good pair of socks could mean having everything right in the world . . . kind of out of left field, but its cute.

Spirit
July 14th, 2004, 5:54 am
I just thought I should give this link of this essay thing concerning what Dumbledore sees in the Mirror.
http://tazmy.blogspot.com/2003_09_01_tazmy_archive.html#dumbledore

I thought it was a really good theory. I agree.

x_shannon_x
July 14th, 2004, 6:01 am
He most likely saw Harry triumphing over Voldemort. In Order of the Phoenix, we see how much effort Dumbledore put into his "grand plan". He didn't tell Harry though because he wanted to prolong the moment before he told him about the prophecy.

I agree. It shows what your heart desires most, and Dumbledore wanted good to prevail over evil. Because he had heard the prophecy, the only way Voldemort could be vanquished was by Harry.

jaedi
July 14th, 2004, 7:39 am
Poor Dumbledore and Harry.... That's all I have to say. All they want is to be away from the troubles of the worlds, hence the thick, wollen socks.

Baron_G
July 14th, 2004, 8:17 am
The scar, either absent from Harry's forehead or present on his, keeping that one burden for himself so a person as young as Harry didn't have to suffer it.

Other than that I'm sure he's a perfectly contented man and seeing himself with a warm pair of socks wouldn't be too far off.

Maybe what he did see was him holding a pair of socks but he didn't mention that he also had a scar on his forehead. That way he never lied.

WhoAmI
July 14th, 2004, 8:28 am
We know now, from OotP that Dumbledore was doing alot of lying to Harry, (or at least omission of the truth) during PS/SS. I think this "I saw socks in the mirror" thing was another kind, gentle, humor-ful lie.
Sorry but I don't think so. Dumbledore may not tell the whole truth all the time, but I don't think he's ever lied to Harry. If he says he saw himself holding a pair of thick, woolen socks then he probably did. After all, when Harry was trying to find the mirror to show Ron on the 2nd night, "Ron started moaning that his feet were dead with cold." If you're really cold, wouldn't a nice pair of thick, woolen socks be just the thing? But that doesn't mean that's ALL he saw in the mirror. Or that at other times he might not see something else.

Mundungus Fletc
July 14th, 2004, 8:46 am
WhoAmi wrote

If you're really cold, wouldn't a nice pair of thick, woolen socks be just the thing? But that doesn't mean that's ALL he saw in the mirror. Or that at other times he might not see something else.

I agree. Personally I think that at other times he sees good triumphant, Harry content and himself able to 'shuffle of this mortal coil' his work completed. In the books I am constantly aware of how tired he is and how he has absolutely no fear of death.

Elf
July 14th, 2004, 8:53 am
I think that Dumbledore saw the wizarding world at peace finally. Maybe the socks are symbollic of comfort, meaning that once Voldemort is vanquished and the magical world is free from tyranny once again, he can relax and retire at the ripe old age of 150 (or thereabouts).

Slaide
July 14th, 2004, 9:12 am
I do not go with the he saw harry beating voldemort.

The mirror shows the person most burning desire.

I seriously doubt Dumbledoe, however how much he KNOWS Harry will have to face Voldemort, even wants to think about Harry having to fight for his life.

And I doubt he saw socks. I'll go with, he saw Harry living his life happily withouth worries.

Which explains why he wouldn't tell harry what he saw. Try to explain a kid you KNOW will have to fight for his life why your greatest desire is to see HIM living a normal happy life... It would have raised too many questions for harry.

JakeW
July 14th, 2004, 9:31 am
I do think Dumbledore saw socks.

Why?

Many reasons. To start, I don't think he would outright lie to Harry about such a thing (if he didn't want to answer he would have just told Harry it was too personal a question). He however may not have told the whole truth. It is possible that there was something other than socks he saw; but there need not be.

I've seen many discussions on the symbolism of clothing and socks in the Harry Potter Universe and they really shed light on this topic. Socks are a symbol of freedom (think house elfs) and freedom is something I think Dumbledore wants. Sure, he wants and hopes that Harry will defeat LV - but is that his deepest, most absolute desire? I doubt it. Dumbledore has been around for a long time and he has had more responsibility in his life than 50 normal people. He wants a simple life with nothing to worry about and a pair of socks can epitomize that dream for him.

Of course, if the socks symbolised DD having acheived a simple life it is probable that the wizarding world is finally at peace; something Dumbledore has worked for so long to acheive (and that would mean Harry had deafeated Voldemort).

I fear I am starting to ramble a bit, but the bottom line is that pretty much everything that has been said other than just socks could work... but it all could be symbolized by socks. Harry deafeating Voldemort and the world at peace very well could be DD's deepest wish, but what better way to show that (considering Albus' eccentricities) than a pair of woolen socks?

Slaide
July 14th, 2004, 9:38 am
If he saw socks, then perhaps he was knitting them. Which is usually the representation of complete relaxation.

Hvyarms
July 14th, 2004, 9:57 am
I think dd probably saw something to the effect of voldemort defeated, but moreso also saw himself sleeping or resting... the poor guy is the only one voldemort ever feared and he is very very old. He has got to be tired of holding such a high responsibility all the time of needing to stay alive to give other people some sort of feeling of security, as well as having to deal with living through two reigns of voldemort. All of that to me would be incredibly tiring and what I would yearn most is an end to it all and the satisfaction in knowing that the weight was lifted and that I could rest.

filius
July 14th, 2004, 1:07 pm
This might be a plot point for book 6 and 7 for all we know. But he is prone to make "serious jokes". Like when all his titles were being removed, he didn't care as long as he stays on the choc. frog cards. He may be serious about the socks too.

siriusrocks54
July 14th, 2004, 5:40 pm
Since the mirror shows the deepest desires of our hearts, I think that he might have seen himself and Harry, representing hmself as a father figure to Harry. Since in book 5 he basiclly tells Harry that he loves him, he could have also loved him at the time when he was looking in the mirror. So is it possible that Dumbledore's deepest desire is to be close with Harry at all times, and be able to protect him as long as possible from all that is evil (like a father would his son)?

Liv4Sirius
July 14th, 2004, 6:37 pm
[B]Okay, in an interview on either the SS or CoS dvd (american version) JK says that there are two solid sources of information. DD because he knows everything and Hermione because she's more than likely read it somewhere. This leads me to believe that if DD saw something other than socks he would have told Harry, or JK would have commented somewhere that hints that it was a lie. I also think she's stated somewhere that DD is one of the most honest charactors in the book.

Brain_Murders
July 14th, 2004, 6:41 pm
There is no doubt that DD saw socks.

The question is what else did he see?
Do we have an answer? - not until JKR gives it to us.

RyuKid
July 14th, 2004, 6:45 pm
Nice theory! I think this is what he saw. Or maybe he saw his wife/daughter that we never knew he had :| (they couldve died in the previous war)

ramones
July 14th, 2004, 8:11 pm
I already posted this in Mirror of the Erised theories thread, but it really belongs here.

Did Dumbledore really see himself holding socks?
1) He was lying. It wasn't Harry's business and DD is a funny guy.
2) He was telling the truth. First of all, I don't think DD would lie. He is a wise person and he is probably safisfied with himself and his life. I think that this proves his greatness and his spiritual maturity. I don't know if I've made myself clear.

i think that because dumbledore is already a very contented man, it is fully possible all he saw were socks.

Yes, this is what I was trying to say!

I think it's kind of strange that Dumbledore knew what Harry saw. I know he might have just guessed, but I don't know if I'd want him knowing My deepest desire. I think Harry really deserves to see what he saw now (so I hope JK lets us see what Dumbledore saw!).

I don't think DD saw what Harry saw in the Mirror, he just overheard the conversation between Ron and Harry.

Do you guys really think he saw Voldemort's defeat in the Mirror? Did DD know for sure at the time that LV was back (not really back, but you know what I mean).

jillian1702
July 14th, 2004, 9:14 pm
Someone mentioned that JK would have probably given us a hint to know that Dumbledore was lying or at least excluding some truth. She basically does - when Harry leaves the Mirror that night and goes to bed, he thinks to himself that Dumbledore probably wasn't being entirely truthful. And (kind of a side note) apparently JK has said in an interview somewhere that The Mirror of Erised will come into play in later books.

Elf
July 14th, 2004, 11:35 pm
On a humourous note, I think that once Dumbledore retires, he and Dobby should open a sock shop on Diagon Alley. They would be perfect business partners as Dobby shares Dumbledore's passion for socks:)

ania
July 14th, 2004, 11:53 pm
This has nothing to do with the Mirror of Erised, but something ktbspa said about JKR never putting things in for no reason reminded me of when Hermione 'appeared to talk into her hand' in the GoF. I didn't remember a reason for it, was there one?

It would be rather nice, if people at least skimmed over the previous posts, as there have been alot of unnecessary repetitions of ideas.

angel spirit
July 15th, 2004, 12:41 am
This has nothing to do with the Mirror of Erised, but something ktbspa said about JKR never putting things in for no reason reminded me of when Hermione 'appeared to talk into her hand' in the GoF. I didn't remember a reason for it, was there one?

It would be rather nice, if people at least skimmed over the previous posts, as there have been alot of unnecessary repetitions of ideas.

Hermione did that when she was thinking about how Malfoy was talking to Rita Skeeter. He looked as if he was talking in a walkie-talkie, but he was actually talking to Rita in beetle form.

Ah, well, people always want to put their two cents in, and it becomes habit to just read the first post. Otherwise the love thread would be way more confusing than it is. It keeps the ideas flowing.

ania
July 15th, 2004, 1:06 am
Oh. I was rather confused about that, and thought I had missed something.

Well, it's bound to make you at least a bit annnoyed if you see your own original theory or idea being repeated afterwards using copious amounts of chatspeak, ne?

privatebandaid
July 15th, 2004, 3:17 am
I do think Dumbledore saw socks in the Mirror of Erised.

Why? This may be a long shot, but i believe that it has something to do with the hidden extent of the house elves magical powers.

1. We already now how some of their powers (via Dobby), being able to Apparate, levitate, and somehow knock back Lucius Malfoy in CoS (don't have the exact quote with me, sorry! :sad: ).

2. Why does Dumbledore pay Dobby to work? Dobby would have worked at Hogwarts without pay, just because Harry is there. But paying him...there has to be something in it.

3. Dumbledore seems to be supporting Hermione in S.P.E.W., which seems weird since having Voldy running around you think would sap all of his attention. Maybe he hopes that Hermione could infact take S.P.E.W. to another level? :huh:

I think what Dumbledore saw in the Mirror of Erised was a premonition of what is to become. Myabe he infact did see a sock, but skipped the House elf part when telling Harry. Maybe Dumbledore in paying Dobby a wage is hoping for him to act as a rallying point for freeing House elves in the war (i can already imagen Dobby in full combat gear, taking on a Death Eater :rotfl: .

( Hope i havn't screwed anything up, its my first post!)

obliviate
July 15th, 2004, 4:19 am
I believe Dumbldore when he said he saw a pair of thick, woollen socks in the mirror. What a non-magical thing to desire.

An ongoing bit in the series is the sorry state of Harry's socks. The Dursleys are constantly giving him yucky old hand-me-down socks from Vernon or Dudley.

Harry, to free Dobby, puts one of his own socks in Tom Riddle's diary for Malfoy to present to Dobby.

Harry, when he has an opportunity, buys himself new socks, and socks for Dobby, too.

Socks are important. I don't know why.

Poledra
July 15th, 2004, 8:43 am
We know now, from OotP that Dumbledore was doing alot of lying to Harry, (or at least omission of the truth) during PS/SS. I think this "I saw socks in the mirror" thing was another kind, gentle, humor-ful lie. If the mirror truly shows, even to an advanced wizard like DD, "nothing more or less than the deepest, most desperate desire of our hearts", then I think that even this early in the story, Dumbledore saw Harry happy, safe, and well.

I think this is exactly what Dumbledore saw, and it worried him. He must have begun to realize that perhaps his heart wasn't in the right place to protect the interests of all wizardkind if his deepest desire was to see Harry happy, safe, and well. In book five he says:

"I cared for you too much," said Dumbledore simply. "I cared more for your happiness than your knowing the truth, more for your peace of mind than my plan, more for your life than the lives that might be lost if the plan failed."

Of course, this possible problem already starting on his conscience, Dumbledore wasn't likely to tell a twelve-year-old what he's worrying about any more than he's about to tell a twelve-year-old, abused and neglected boy that he must become a murderer.

Remus Black
July 19th, 2004, 2:57 am
Well, we all know DD is a bit odd....maybe he really did see socks :).

vitacus
July 19th, 2004, 3:01 am
He's an old guy who is wise and seemingly pretty peaceful inside. So it would make sense that what he'd see in the mirror would be something simple and not very ambitious, having accomplished so much in his life and being content where he is.
Castles are cold. It was a winter night. Logically a pair of nice warm socks would be desired at the time. His office/quarters can't be that warm, let alone the big empty room the mirror was stored in.

WhoAmI
July 19th, 2004, 3:13 am
An ongoing bit in the series is the sorry state of Harry's socks. The Dursleys are constantly giving him yucky old hand-me-down socks from Vernon or Dudley.

Harry, to free Dobby, puts one of his own socks in Tom Riddle's diary for Malfoy to present to Dobby.

Harry, when he has an opportunity, buys himself new socks, and socks for Dobby, too.

Socks are important. I don't know why.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pince11

I think this is exactly what Dumbledore saw, and it worried him. He must have begun to realize that perhaps his heart wasn't in the right place to protect the interests of all wizardkind if his deepest desire was to see Harry happy, safe, and well.
OK, so maybe Dumbledore saw himself holding a pair of thick, woolen socks AND giving them to Harry! Would certainly symbolize his desire to see Harry happy, safe & well. And I agree, even then he knew what Harry faced in the future, and this vision probably did worry him. He said in OotP that he realized he had gotten too close to Harry.

Cheezewiz_911
July 19th, 2004, 3:24 am
Yeah, Dumbledore probably did see socks. Since when do we know Dumbledore does not lie. But if you asked your teacher or your headmaster what their most deepest desire is do you think they will actually answer because I knowthey would either not tell you or they will lie to you.

Spencer28
September 30th, 2004, 2:42 am
In the Sorcerer's stone, whn Harry asked Dumbledore what he saw in the mirror of Erised, Dumbledore says:"I? I see myself holding a pair of thick,wolen socks." Now Harry did not think that Dumbledore was quite honest... I think the same thing too. What do you really really think he saw??

James Macca
September 30th, 2004, 2:48 am
its entirely possible that he did actually see himself getting a pair of socks, after all, he is a fairly odd guy..
However, i think it likely that what he saw had something to do with harry fulfilling his potential. He knew about the prophecy, and so he knows that Harry is the only hope, and the more he fulfills his potential the better a chance they have.

BloodyBlackRose
September 30th, 2004, 2:48 am
I think he really did see that. I think that Dumbledore is an accomplished person and is a very honest, noble person. :)

Spencer28
September 30th, 2004, 2:54 am
yes I see all your points and Dumbledore is one of my favorite Characters,But thers something about him I don't trust, something I don't understand that. I know people will thnk I'm nuts but theres something about him thats...off. do you get me.

morgiana
September 30th, 2004, 3:13 am
DD is 150 years old. He probably has done all he wanted to do. At some point a warm pair of socks is what will bring you true happiness. If his life is at peace and the world is at peace ie: Voldemort defeated he can sit by the fire in his warm socks and be totally content.

KryptonKitty
September 30th, 2004, 3:39 am
The first time I read it I believed that he really saw a pair of socks, but after I noticed that Harry doubted that it made me think. Harry is JKR main way to give us hints about what's going to happen and sometimes they can be so subtle that we just take them for granted. I believe that when Harry thought it was something too privet to ask and that DD probably wasn't telling the truth we should think so too. Whatever he saw must be have been related to the end of the second war, so he couldn't tell Harry what because he hadn't told him yet about the prophecy.

Unless the war ends and somehow it all sums up to a pair of socks!:p That sounds like something JKR could pull off... :huh:

Danluver182
September 30th, 2004, 3:43 am
i don't think he saw socks because i don't think jkr would've put that line in there that said that harry didn't think he was being totally honest. I'm sure he saw something else but what it is i don't care to ponder because i'll never know the truth.

James Macca
September 30th, 2004, 4:12 am
well, it all could be related to a pair of socks, the HBP is actually vernons old pair of socks :evil:

Classical_Wizar
September 30th, 2004, 4:13 am
Hi, you want this thread. What did Dumbledore see in the Mirror of Erised? (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=29870&highlight=mirror%2A)

Azkabanned
September 30th, 2004, 4:22 am
Holy moly!

I wrote a fanfic on this!!! OMG that's a big coincidence!!!

haha i think he sees his family. They never mention them... except aberforth...

hmmm.... more things to think about.

Freeradical
September 30th, 2004, 4:41 am
Perhaps he has already accomplished or has everything he wants. Woolen socks might be an errant whim--after all, he could afford just about anything he wants, or conjure them if necessary.

Or, maybe, when he last looked in the mirror, his feet were cold. I would imagine that castle can get pretty drafty at times and central heating is expensive.

_Ice__Princess_
September 30th, 2004, 4:49 am
yeah, I mean, who doesn't desire a pair of thick, woollen socks?

cmscrapgirl
September 30th, 2004, 5:16 am
I think a person's heart's desire is a very personal thing, and Harry was a bit young at the time to understand the desire of a great wizard like him, but maybe we'll see later. On the other hand, Dumbledore has accomplished a lot in his very long lifetime, and as we get older, our circulation is not as good, so maybe his feet were cold right then. As usual, Jo has her reasons for just about everything, doesn't she? It could be significant, but it might not be. That's why I love these books so much! We never know until she tells us.

starutena
September 30th, 2004, 6:16 am
yeah, I mean, who doesn't desire a pair of thick, woollen socks?

I wouldn't- it's too hot where I live.

I don't think Dumbledore saw the socks. I don't think we will ever know what he truly saw in the mirror. He hid so many things from Harry in PS, I think this was one of them. I don't think it is that important, otherwise JKR would have told us in OotP.

Paul
October 4th, 2004, 8:07 am
I am almost positive what ever he saw had something to do with Harry and that we will find out what it was later.

I think it could have been Harry standing over a dead LV
Or it could have been Harry happy since he never seems to be these days.

NeuroComp
October 4th, 2004, 8:12 am
AD is a loving and caring man. Harry may be in his vision though i dont' see how its posisble because AD is an old man, he must have had visions before harry was born.

The mirror is suppose to show ADs hearts desire perhaps his family or harrys family but i seehim seeing peace in all of the wizardry world...because thats jsut how AD is...remember he called LV by tom which seems to me that he was appealing to the caring side.

cbrdave
October 6th, 2004, 3:27 am
He saw himself holding a pair of woollen socks.

That being said, I think its ripe for being a subplot. Can you imagine if Dobby and DD are one and the same??

Have they ever been together in a scene????

naaa just to weird :)

Meiko
October 6th, 2004, 6:54 am
Harry killing Voldemort with DD watching on. DD wouldn't have told Harry that in book 1

NeuroComp
October 6th, 2004, 7:14 am
its a wonder though why AD can't kill LV himself even though tis prophecized...cuz AD is the greatest there was. But dobby and AD can't be the same person cuz AD was gonna summon dobby in *** trial

Doug
October 6th, 2004, 7:22 am
My theory is that Dumbledore saw Harry in the mirror of Erised. A happy, healthy, and safe Harry Potter. The boy who lived. From what I have seen there is noone that DD cares about more.

Beabria
October 6th, 2004, 7:28 am
I've gotta believe that he really did see socks, at some point at least. Someone mentioned earlier that we haven't known Dumbledore to lie, which is true. (Although he has worded the truth in funny ways...) Anyways, something to consider, Dumbledore is an old man, and I've always assumed that the mirror has been around for a while. Does it ever say when Dumbledore saw socks in the mirror? Couldn't he have seen them long, long ago, before Harry was a twinkle in someone's eye? If so, maybe he's telling Harry what he saw long ago to avoid telling him what he sees now without lying. Or maybe not.... :huh:

Snidget66
October 7th, 2004, 2:49 am
I think that whatever DD wants will never be figured out by the likes of us muggles.

lupislune
October 7th, 2004, 3:17 am
At this point I don't believe Albus DD say socks; I think that the sock bit in the mirror is some type of clue about who Dumbledore really is, and I think this is why JKR has
Albus DD say this. Currently, the only one I truely believe is a DD is Aberforth.

I agree with what someone else said above, I think he sees a healty/alive Harry or something along those lines. For I believe he knows what will happen to him, and it is not good.

ravenfeather
October 7th, 2004, 3:53 am
dare i ask?
if albus isn't a dumbledore, what or who is he?

Phoenix_Fawkes
October 7th, 2004, 6:17 am
For some reason I thought came to my mind and it told me that Dumbledores most deepest desire is to see Tom Riddle Defeated and Harry victorious and alive and happy and able to live his life normal. I dont kno what everyone else wrote but I dont have time to read it but thats my two cents on the matter.

lewis8604
October 7th, 2004, 6:49 am
HAs anyone read the fanfic HArry Potter and the Acceptance of Fate? It explains it rather well to me. I belive that the Mirror is a legilmencer anf that it looks into ones thoughts. So if Dd is an acclomplished Occlumens which we knows it is then i think he can make it so he really sees a pair of wooly socks. I think since we only know of DD during HArry's years at school we can't make a reasonbale guess. DD is pretty old and has lived thru a lot so maybe it has something to do with something before the time of Harry Potter

roguebludger77
October 14th, 2004, 12:41 am
Wow. Kudos to whoever came up with the Dobby - Dumbledore sock connection thing. I think that's bloody brilliant :cool: . However, I also think you’re wrong...

My sympathies to the folks who think Dumbledore saw Harry leading a happy, normal life. Maybe.

But I’ve been wondering about this for ages and it seems that somehow when people look into that mirror they tend to see something that relates more directly to themselves. Ron sees accomplishments. Harry sees family. So IF Dumbledore does not see socks and does not see Harry conquering Voldemort (which is not directly related to himself), then what DOES he see?

* Maybe he sees himself dead – like the Flamels ‘going to bed after a very long day.’
* Maybe he sees himself adopting Harry (since Sirius can’t anymore)
* Maybe McGonagal offering him a biscuit and giggling like she did with Hagrid…

I really hope JKR clears this one up cause I’m very, very curious.

StephyJ_83
November 3rd, 2004, 5:49 am
I'm glad I found this thread, cause I have been rereading SS and this very question came to my mind.

After reading OotP, I would definitely have to say that he sees Harry triumphing over Voldermort. However, I don't think that is all. I think he sees Harry happy, with a family of his own . . . pretty much things that Harry was never privileged to have. Dumbledore says on page 838 of OotP:

"I cared about you too much," said Dumbledore simply. "I cared more for your happiness than your knowing the truth, more for your peace of mind than my plan, more for your life than the lives that might be lost if the plan failed. In otherwords, I acted exactly as Voldemort expects we fools who love to act.
"Is there a defense? I defy anyone who has watched you as I have - and I have watched you more closely than you can have imagined - not to want to save you more pain than you had already suffered. What did I care if numbers of nameless and faceless people and creatures were slaughtered in the vague future, if in the here and now you were alive, and well, and happy? I never dreamed that I would have such a person on my hands."Dumbledore cares so much about Harry's happiness, and this care was part of his grand scheme. I think, after reading this passage, that Dumbledore saw Harry alive, and well, and happy. But, he wouldn't have told Harry that, because that would reveal too much about Harry's destiny. He saw Harry with a normal, happy life.

And maybe Harry was giving him a pair of socks too.;) :rotfl:

dementorsekiss
November 3rd, 2004, 8:06 am
i thin he saw harry's victory over voldie

feshnie
November 4th, 2004, 3:04 am
He saw Voldemort defeated by Harry... I really can't think of anything else

Yeah... maybe that or he saw Voldemort's downfall because the mirror shows your hearts desire and Dumbledore knows Voldy's alive at the moment in SS and he knows Harry's the prophecy kid... so yeah... or if Dumbledore's really evil(I saw many threads stating that) he probably saw Harry dead and didn't want to get Harry frightened but that sounds unlikely... anyway, I don't like to picture Dumbledore like that. He's one of the good guys in my 'Good guys in Harry Potter' list.

natemac
November 4th, 2004, 3:22 am
I have no idea why the hell anyone would think Dumbledore is a bad guy. If anyone in the entire series is on the good side, it's Dumbledore. Dumbledore hardly ever lies. I truly think that he really did see socks in the mirror of Erised, but he saw much much more than that. He could have seen Harry triumph over Voldemort, but I think he saw something else.

I think that he saw Harry with his family, his true family. Lily, James, and Sirius. I think that he saw Harry being happy, more happy than he ever has been in his life. Afterall, that is all Harry want's isn't it? And Dumbledore wants Harry to be happy, because he has such a strong affection towards Harry. He would want nothing more than to see Harry happier than he ever could be, and that is what I think he saw in the Mirror of Erised.

If I were Harry, I would buy Dumbledore a few pairs of socks for Christmas, as kind of a joke/statement that he remembers...

-natemac

Kimmetje
November 4th, 2004, 10:48 am
I believe it was sort of said that it were a pair of socks so I think we should stay with that thought as in this case I do not think it is a clue. The mirror of Erised was used once and I do not think it will be used again. I just do not see why you'd think further than the socks.

Amelia Snape
November 5th, 2004, 9:57 pm
As others have said one of Dumbledore's main aims is to finally see Harry happy. I can't imagine it being to do with a loss in his past as he doesn't seem the type to dwindle on the past or fantasies.

Maybe he saw harry with Sirius or with his parents; happy and untouched. :blush:

crumseekerlynch
November 5th, 2004, 11:28 pm
Harry defeating Vodemorte?

FoxX Onward
November 6th, 2004, 8:06 pm
i bet he saw harry triumphing over voldemort

but if the is so (didnt he say that things you see in the mirror cant come true) that would mean harry doesnt defeat voldemort....uhhh, i confused myself

panda_bay_113
November 6th, 2004, 8:23 pm
Obviously not socks. :p

Finduilas
December 5th, 2004, 3:33 pm
I think that he did see socks because I remember Dumbledore saying something about answering all of Harry's questions truthfully unless he had a good reason not to answer but he still promised not to lie and I think that this applies to all the questions Harry asks Dumbledore; not just the ones at the end of SS/PS

:rave:

123LRSC
December 5th, 2004, 4:14 pm
Maybe he saw Voldemort doing something good because I think that Dumbledore believes that everyone has some good inside them! :)

Corbin Dallas
December 5th, 2004, 4:30 pm
Now,
I think Dumbledore sees himself, with the scar on his head because he doesn't wish the terrible burden that Harry now carrys on anyone and if it must be carried he'd rather be the one to suffer rather than Harry, I truly think that is what Dumbledore would see if he looke in the Mirror of Erised after Order ...
CD

prince_21_84
December 5th, 2004, 4:31 pm
i dont know if dumbledore ever stated that what he sees in the mirror cant be true! becuase i mean for harry it could not be true becuase his parents are already dead! But even if DD saw harry killing voldemort it would not mean that is was necessarily true at all!!

Corbin Dallas
December 5th, 2004, 4:42 pm
i dont know if dumbledore ever stated that what he sees in the mirror cant be true! becuase i mean for harry it could not be true becuase his parents are already dead! But even if DD saw harry killing voldemort it would not mean that is was necessarily true at all!!
Dumbledore said that the mirror gives us niether "Truth" nor "Knolledge" just what our heart's deepest desire is, for some they are achieveable, for others they are not...
CD

luv2read
December 5th, 2004, 5:02 pm
Socks seems unlikely. Dumbledore has witheld the truth from Harry before, and I think he is again. Dumbledore's deepest want may have nothing at all to do with Harry, then again it may. Maybe he wishes to be Minister of Magic, or that House elves were free, or maybe that he could retire and move to a quiet, uneventful place. Then again, he does seem to love Harry a lot. Maybe he wishes Harry could be free of Voldemort's wrath, maybe he wishes Harry could be his adopted son. Maybe it's as simple as wishing for the school houses to be united. It really could be just about anything. I do think that we will see the mirror of erised again.

prince_21_84
December 5th, 2004, 7:09 pm
so is dumbledore saying that he cant really have socks if that is what he sees in the mirror becuase that would be the truth! so dumbledore cant have socks??

RemusLupinFan
December 5th, 2004, 7:39 pm
I don't really consider it lying if Dumbledore wasn't telling the truth about seeing socks in the Mirror. After all, as Harry later realizes, he had asked Dumbledore a very personal question. I think Dumbledore has the right to keep his heart's deepest desire to himself.

I have to agree with those who believe that Dumbledore didn't really see socks in the Mirror. Instead, I like what a lot of people have said about Dumbledore possibly seeing Harry safe and happy, without the terrible burden of being the Boy Who Lived. I think that may have been what he saw because of the passage in OotP where Dumbledore tells Harry that he cares too much for his happiness. I would also wager that Dumbledore desires to see the wizarding world living in peace without Voldemort, but Harry is very close to Dumbledore's heart. Therefore, I believe that his heart's desire has something to do with Harry living a normal life in peace, and thus this is what he saw in the Mirror.

biara
December 5th, 2004, 8:11 pm
When that scene happened, it was late at night.
I believe Dumbledore's desire at that moment was to be deep asleep in a comfortable bed. :p

Tane
December 5th, 2004, 8:40 pm
I would say Dumbledore saw his own death and the next great adventure as he tells us this in OotP. Death sounds like Dumbledore’s deepest desire and as a result he could have seen this in the mirror.

bartletrules
December 5th, 2004, 11:29 pm
...Harry defeating Voldemort definitely, BUT with a handicap: :upset: :upset:

Dumbledore has to sacrifice himself for the sake of protecting Harry from Voldemort's attack during the final struggle.

It's only a theory, and I'm newbie in this Potter universe, but I think it's an option to keep in mind for the next (and last? :sad: ) two books.

JKR has repeatedly confirmed that more characters will die in future adventures, but everyone is thinking about Ron. I think JKRowling has always surprised us, and Ron won't be dead in HBP.

percivalwulfric
December 6th, 2004, 12:12 am
Dumbledore cares for Harry a lot right? Maybe he saw in the mirror Harry without any troubles in his life, Harry with a proper family. Or maybe he did actaully see himself holding a pair of socks :huh:

Miss ERB
December 6th, 2004, 1:03 am
I dont think he exactly saw Harry defeating Voldemort..but definently something along those lines. I think he saw Harry over coming his challenges..all the horrible Things he had to face. Because as we read at the end of the 5th book Dumbledore cares for Harry even more than we might have thought before.. so I think he saw harry being happy..maybe for the 1st time in his life..feeling loved...I dont know exactly but I dont think Harry's ever felt perfectly content. And he's never felt completely Loved either has he? The plot is deeply based on the power of love..I mean Lily dying to save harry..love. So voldemort is going to be defeated by the power of love( mostly) i feel it will anyway.

bartletrules
December 6th, 2004, 4:46 am
[...]
So voldemort is going to be defeated by the power of love( mostly) i feel it will anyway.

So don't you think my theory could be right?? Dumbledore sacrifying himself to save Harry from Voldemort? It would be the biggest demonstration of love he could do for Harry...

Miss ERB
December 6th, 2004, 5:02 am
So don't you think my theory could be right?? Dumbledore sacrifying himself to save Harry from Voldemort? It would be the biggest demonstration of love he could do for Harry...

no! I havent read your theory..yes anything could happen..Love is love..I didnt say how. I just said love will be a major factor in defeating voldemort.

ydnam96
December 6th, 2004, 5:09 am
I think that Dumbeldore does see socks.

I just think that the socks are a symbolic representation for what DD wants most: peace in the world.
The way I see it, if all is right with the world then all he would need to make him super happy is a nice comfy pair of socks.

shaggydogstail
December 6th, 2004, 1:53 pm
I thing he sees Harry as an old man, like himself.

I don't thing he would see Harry killing voldemort - it is too brutal. And Dumbledore won't want Harry to have to kill voldemort, he doesn't want him to have that burden.

But seeing Harry live to a ripe old change would mean the prophesy had been fulfilled an LV had been defeated, or it had been overcome.

LunaStar_1000
December 6th, 2004, 11:15 pm
Well he did say he saw himself with socks in Harry's first year, but I really dont belive so. I think there are much more important things on this earth that are important to Dumbledore other than socks. His family was probably one of them, but I am really not sure what he did see in the Mirror of Erised but I am almost positive it wasn't socks.

Holly is Short
December 7th, 2004, 12:48 am
He probably saw Minerva! :rotfl:

DumbledoreTheWise
December 7th, 2004, 12:54 am
I think maybe he saw himself, with the lightening scar instead of Harry. Couldn't you just see his greatest wish being to relieve Harry of the burden?

wyldstallyns007
December 7th, 2004, 1:51 am
i thihnk dumbledore saw his death in the mirror.dumbly is old, but i dont think he will die until he knows harry will win in the end. heres a theory i just thought up, meybe dumbly is like fox, you know, grows old then burns and is reborn from the ashes? maybe he will die, but he will be born again, it will make us sad, but we will know that he will live on, so you never know........

Auror Fett
December 13th, 2004, 11:18 pm
First, I did believe up until I reread SS that Dumbledore really did see himself with socks. Upon rereading SS for the 20th something time, I realized, like Harry did, that Dumbledore might not have been entirely truthful. I have no clue what Dumbledore really did see, although I fancy the idea of Harry defeating Voldemort. Then again, it may not be anything crucial to the storyline or hold any importance at all. It's like Harry realized, it was quite a personal topic.

star_light
December 14th, 2004, 6:04 am
Hm...Maybe he really did see socks! I don't know.Wait a second. Isn't the Mirror of Erised supposed to show you what you really want? That means, DD could have seen something Harry wasn't ready to know, like Harry overthrowing Voldemort or something.

moonlite
December 14th, 2004, 7:13 am
He probably saw Minerva! :rotfl:
Lol!

I franky think that we'll never really know what Dumbledore saw in the Mirror, unless JKR decides to tells us through the upcoming books or on her website. But being Harry Potter experts ( :p ) can speculate offcoarse, but the I doubt we'll get the answer right unless someone makes an amazingly lucky guess hehee.

Snivvilus
December 14th, 2004, 1:47 pm
i think he was telling the truth and really did see a pair of socks

cornish_pixies
December 14th, 2004, 2:07 pm
I don't know; but I think the truth will be rather important to the books. Otherwise JK would have just left it at that without Harry's reflective "It was only when he was in bed that Harry realised that Dumbledore may not have been entirely truthful". I think we'll find out soon though. Maybe in the next book or something.

oryon
December 14th, 2004, 2:21 pm
If I remember exactly at that night when he talked to Harry about the Mirror, at the end Harry asked Dumbledore what does he see in the Mirror. At his question Dumbledore aswered that he _in the mirror_ is standing with a pare of warm socks in his hands because everyone is giving him only books and he really wants some warm socks for the winter! :D

Danielf22
December 14th, 2004, 2:59 pm
I think he was probably seeing a nice vacation somewhere on a tropical island- but thats to good to hope for. Probably somehting to do with Harry.

phoenix_16_11
December 16th, 2004, 2:24 pm
I thing he sees Harry as an old man, like himself.

I don't thing he would see Harry killing voldemort - it is too brutal. And Dumbledore won't want Harry to have to kill voldemort, he doesn't want him to have that burden.

But seeing Harry live to a ripe old change would mean the prophesy had been fulfilled an LV had been defeated, or it had been overcome.

I agree with you. Dumbledore would probably see something like that because he doesn't want to burden Harry with the task of defeating the SECOND greatest wizard alive. And plus Dumbledore does seem to be a father figure to Harry, wanting the absolute best for him.

loveofMINE
December 16th, 2004, 11:42 pm
It probably involves Harry, somehow.

luvlysirius
February 3rd, 2005, 4:45 am
Well, I think that we couldn't guess what Dumbledor saw. We don't really know much about his personal life. All we know is that he spends alot of time fighting voldemort. What if he lost a love and sees himself reunited with her(or him for all we know). I like to think he sees himself free of burden since he's worked hard fighting evil for a large part of his life. Some might think that this is a bit selfish maybe, but aren't the deepest desires of our hearts selfish? That's why I see him doing something totally for his pleasure.

johnnyandme
February 6th, 2005, 6:04 pm
when he looks into the mirror of erised waht does he see???? we all know he doesnt see socks hahahaha

sunshinedaisy
February 6th, 2005, 6:31 pm
I think it might have something to do with Harry. Maybe seeing him as a normal boy and not someone who has to worry about when Voldy will attack him. We know that Dumbledore cares a lot about Harry, so that's the only thing I can come up with, except for the obvious...for Voldemort to be gone.

tarachristwen
February 6th, 2005, 6:40 pm
getting married and settled down in a peaceful countryside? :eyebrows:

Snout
February 6th, 2005, 9:33 pm
I think he would probably see himself with the worlds longest beard. Nah, not really, i haven't got a clue, i don't think that we will find out either because i think it would be too hard for JK to think of something for him to really want because he's so philosophical and intelligent it would just be too hard. Unless it would be something like a world of eternal hapiness :).

Pure_Light
February 6th, 2005, 9:38 pm
Maybe he sees every one living happily with no fear of war.

Nicole
February 6th, 2005, 9:39 pm
This was discussed in What did Dumbledore see in the Mirror of Erised? (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=29870) if you would like to check out the comments there.

Aramina
February 6th, 2005, 9:43 pm
Well, you know, he might actually see socks...just because, for a person like himself, there's probably very little left to want. Obviously he wants Voldemort defeated, but I doubt there's really anything else that's high on his wish list.

Socks seem quite appropriate for Dumbledore. And I know that there's very little that I, even now at the age of 17, really want...aside from the love of a certain person but...point being, it's quite possible Dumbledore's deepest desire really is socks.

godrics hollow
February 6th, 2005, 9:50 pm
Well, you know, he might actually see socks...just because, for a person like himself, there's probably very little left to want. Obviously he wants Voldemort defeated, but I doubt there's really anything else that's high on his wish list.

Socks seem quite appropriate for Dumbledore. And I know that there's very little that I, even now at the age of 17, really want...aside from the love of a certain person but...point being, it's quite possible Dumbledore's deepest desire really is socks.

see the post above you :p

LexiBlack
February 8th, 2005, 7:27 am
I don't think Dumbledore saw socks either.
My opionion is that he saw something about Harry. We know that he cares deeply for Harry. So, I would say that he saw Harry being happy and not having to worry about what he has to do.
There is a lot about Dumbledore that we don't know though. So, what he could have seen in the mirror could be one out of a million different things. I would think that it has something to do with Harry though.

hpdreamz
February 8th, 2005, 7:46 am
I agree with you. Dumbledore would probably see something like that because he doesn't want to burden Harry with the task of defeating the SECOND greatest wizard alive. And plus Dumbledore does seem to be a father figure to Harry, wanting the absolute best for him.
I agree-so much that its creepy. :huh: >>> :scared:

PlaceboAddict
February 8th, 2005, 8:28 am
I was leaning towards him seeing himself dead, and at peace, but Dumbly-dorre seems to enjoy life way too much to want to die... then I thought maybe he did see the socks - and if that's true, I'll like him about 10 times more than I do now... I could also see him seeing Harry surrounded by Ron, Hermione, his parents, and Sirius (forgive me if this has already been said)... after all, the mirror has the ability to show us the impossible, doesn it?....

gryffin_hauz_88
February 8th, 2005, 8:42 am
Dumbledore might have seen the Hogwarts and the whole wizarding world in peace with the Muggles... though it is quite impossible...

TnK
February 8th, 2005, 8:56 am
He probably sees himself on a sandy beach with palm trees in the distance, and the wind in his... beard, and a huge pair of sunglasses on, just HANGIN out. He might be catchin some rays, a little sunblock on his crooked nose and whatnot.

chiba_anna
February 8th, 2005, 9:08 am
lol! Good one :rotfl:

hmmmm somehow, it should involve Harry. Maybe seeing Harry with his scar gone (burden etc) or something. I mean, after OoTP, we all know that Dumbledore feels for Harry's many burdens.

KathyH
February 8th, 2005, 10:12 am
Here's a twist...the mirror is supposed to show a person's deepest desires. I think that most people would agree that Dumbledore wants Harry to have a normal life. If Harry was just another boy, and there was no Voldemort, then by extension Dumbledore wouldn't have to worry about having a normal life, and could instead be concerned with the trivial things like not getting enough socks. So, maybe that's what he did see, a future where Harry is just like anyone else and the biggest problem in his(Dumbledore's) life is not having enough socks.
How's that for logic! ;)

harry_be_mine
February 8th, 2005, 10:40 am
i'd like to think he did see socks. maybe he saw harry giving him socks after he defeated voldemort. but i don't think he'd lie outright about what he saw. i think he'd lie by omission

tmbourg
February 23rd, 2005, 8:15 am
Here's a totally far-fetched idea , but maybe when he mentioned that he saw socks , he was referring to a character in the books who is known for his love of socks (DOBBY!!!!) . Maybe thats why he hired Dobby at Hogwarts . maybe house elf magic could help defeat Voldamort

hermyone23
February 23rd, 2005, 4:04 pm
this is a really good thread... hmmm i really dont know if its something to do with harry potter or if it really is a personal thing. i really hope jo tells ius what it is/was though because i think that our deepest desires and our deepest fears really show a lot about us. and i for one want to find out more about DD... he is one of the most interesting characters in the books.

Volare
February 23rd, 2005, 4:28 pm
Maybe he see Voldemort defeated.

QueenLindzi
March 19th, 2005, 6:26 am
In HP PS/SS, Harry spots his family (his deepest desire) in the Mirror of Erised. He visits them for a couple of nights in a row then Dumbldore appears and tells him he must not visit it anymore. Harry asks Dumbldore what he sees in the mirror.

Harry stood up.
'Sir -- Professor Dumbledore? Can I ask you something?'
'Obviously, you've just done so,' Dumbldore smiled. 'You may ask me one more thing, however.'
'What do you see when you look in the Mirror?'
'I? I see myself holding a pair of thick, woollen socks.'
Harry stared.
'One can never have enough socks,' said Dumbldore. 'Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.'
It was only when he was back in bed that it struck Harry that Dumbledore might not have been quite truthful. But then, he thought, as he shoved Scabbers off his pillow, it had been quite a personal question.
--Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 12, page 157, British version.

Dumbledore says he sees himself receiving socks, obviously. (Socks are actually a running theme in the books according to the Ultimate Unofficial Guide to the Mysteries of Harry Potter by Galadriel Waters and Astre Mithrandir.)

Of course, I believe he was lying (even though later, he told Harry in the hospital wing that he wouldn't lie to him then, so I think he was lying for Harry's own good at the Mirror.) I think that Dumbledore saw Harry "vanquishing" Voldemort in the Mirror.

Think about it....What does Dumbledore work so hard to do? He keeps Harry safe after hearing the prophecy and guides Harry through school. He keeps close watch of him and always makes sure Harry is okay, but all the time teaching him.

What do you guys think?

LJB85
April 9th, 2005, 6:02 am
I think he rather saw himself sacrificing his life for Harry.....I do not think he saw him defeating Voldemort because everyone who looks in this mirror sees themself doing something!

leftofwhat
April 9th, 2005, 6:15 am
i think it makes sense that DD would see Harry happy... having successfully defeated LV that is... but happy...

something i've had trouble with is... does Harry love DD the way DD loves Harry? DD has known Harry since he was a baby... even when Harry was a kid growing up... DD was watching him... he knows Harry better than anyone in the world does... including Ron, Herms, and Sirius...
I think DD loves Harry more than he has ever loved anyone... and i think... the only think he would ever truly wish for, would be harry's happiness... as much as he would rather skip the fact that Harry will most likely have to murder the most powerful evil wizard of the age... he will accept it, if that means harry will be happy...

as for the socks... i think that was DD's way of lying to harry, in such a manner that, Harry wouldn't be offended. it showed that, while DD wasn't comfortable answering such a personal question... he also, was not offended that Harry had asked him. i think that shows just how big that soft spot is for Harry. that question, really is a very personal one. and as that was the first conversation the two of them had ever shared... it could have been a sketch thing to ask... or answer...
done the ramble.

Dean Thomas
April 9th, 2005, 6:20 am
I think what he saw was him telling Harry the truth about the prophecy... he wanted so desperately to tell harry the truth as he said in ootp. But since he didn't want to crush Harry's soaring spirit, his deepest and most desperate desire is to tell Harry the truth.

LB_Phoenix
April 9th, 2005, 6:46 am
What I felt that led to a more plausible reason why Dumbledore didn't tell Harry what he saw was because it was a very personal question for Harry to ask of Him. What he may have seen may have portained to so many things that link to Harry, and the prophecy that he wouldn't be able to answer in a simple way and have Harry understand. It makes perfect sense why Dumbledore would just say he sees himself holding up socks.

Sam_62442
April 9th, 2005, 7:10 am
Wow, haven't thought about this in a while :p Like many of you I don't think that all he really saw were socks, I mean honestly, the man has more important things to be worriyng about than socks, even you and I do. From what we learned in OOTP, Dumbledore knew all about the prophecy concerning Lord Voldemort and Harry, and possibly Neville. I'm sure he was probably seeing his grand plan playing about as perfectly as possible, with as few casualties as possible.

I know alot of people believe that Dumbledore told Harry the truth about what he saw but think about it. The Mirror or Erised, shows us what? Our greatest desires of course silly :p How can someone's greatest desire be to receive socks? I know that the socks may have just symbolized Dumbledore's desire to be seen as a normal person, rather than this old and wise know-it-all, but from what we've seen Dumbledore puts others first, so he would defiantly want the wizarding world to be safe the most.

Blossom114
May 10th, 2005, 10:03 pm
I myself didn't have any problem with Dumbledore holding a pair of socks in the mirror. He is eccentric and has an uncanny sense of humor. He's a very wise old man, and though I can see how people would think he saw Harry defeating Voldemmort....maybe he has enough faith in Harry to think that that WILL happen, so he doesn't desire it...because in his heart, he doesn't have to, because he knows that in the end Harry will eventually conquer Voldemort (by sacrificing himself..or some other way).
Hope that makes sense Lol :cool:

Dumbledorefan
May 10th, 2005, 10:31 pm
I thought that Dumbledore was telling the truth. I think the socks represents his desire to recieve something else instead of books. But it was a very personal question, so maybe Dumbledore only gave a half truth answer. Perhaps he sees something else.

Desraelda
May 10th, 2005, 10:35 pm
I thought that Dumbledore was telling the truth. I think the socks represents his desire to recieve something else instead of books. But it was a very personal question, so maybe Dumbledore only gave a half truth answer. Perhaps he sees something else.
I thought he was telling the truth, too. As we get older, our desires and needs change. Harry's heart's desire at age 11 is to see his family, but what will it be 30 years from then?

smartamy15
May 11th, 2005, 4:18 am
Yes, I thought that Dumbledore was telling the truth too. Firstly, JKR said that the only character's word whom we can trsut is indeed, DD. So I completely trust him. Secondly, the Mirror shows your DESIRES, not what is going to happen. Dumbledore would NEVER desire to see Voldemort destroying Harry as a few people on the first few pages suggested. And as Dumbledore said, people think that because he is the greatest wizard in the world that all he likes are books. Honestly, he's a person too, and isn't it rather uncomfortable to walk around in shoes without or with really worn out socks? (half joking, half not :D)

WoodenCoyote
May 11th, 2005, 4:24 am
I've always found that comment about the wool socks to be out of place, even when I first read PS.

Dumbledore cared enough for Harry's peace of mind that he allowed himself to but other people in danger to keep him happy, and he admits this.
Maybe what he sees in the mirror is the people he loves safe and well? That seems more in character than a pair of socks.

Dumbledorefan
May 11th, 2005, 6:23 am
I'm guessing Dumbledore sees the socks and something else. Dumbledore probably only told Harry half of what he saw.

headlessnick
May 11th, 2005, 7:35 am
I myself didn't have any problem with Dumbledore holding a pair of socks in the mirror. He is eccentric and has an uncanny sense of humor. He's a very wise old man, and though I can see how people would think he saw Harry defeating Voldemmort....maybe he has enough faith in Harry to think that that WILL happen, so he doesn't desire it...because in his heart, he doesn't have to, because he knows that in the end Harry will eventually conquer Voldemort (by sacrificing himself..or some other way).
Hope that makes sense Lol :cool:
That does make a lot of sense. That's exactly what I was trying to say.

jesse___93
May 19th, 2005, 8:28 am
hi just wondering if thers any theries of what dumledore could have seen in the mirrior of erised???

Mimble_Wimble
May 19th, 2005, 8:32 am
:welcome: to the Forums! I think Dumbledore saw something to do with Harry or maybe Voldemort. Depending on what his hearts desire is; to kill LV or to see Harry succeed.

Bill_Armaorum
May 19th, 2005, 8:40 am
Himself standing around the members of the original order of the phoenix (Potters, Longbottoms etc.)

Mad_Druid
May 19th, 2005, 8:44 am
He is pretty eccentric...maybe he really did see socks :p :p

Mimble_Wimble
May 19th, 2005, 8:53 am
Ha, maybe he did Mad-Druid... you never know. That would by just like old Dumbly-dore!

Mad_Druid
May 19th, 2005, 9:26 am
Manys the time I've desired to have a pair of warm socks on my feet to help me with the daring quest of crossing the bathroom tiles in winter.

Bill_Armaorum
May 19th, 2005, 9:33 am
Or maybe he saw himself eating some of his all time favorite candies

Mad_Druid
May 19th, 2005, 9:38 am
Yeah but he does that everyday, the novelty has to wear off sometime

Severus_Light
May 19th, 2005, 11:43 am
:welcome: to the Forums! I think Dumbledore saw something to do with Harry or maybe Voldemort. Depending on what his hearts desire is; to kill LV or to see Harry succeed.

Somehow, I can't imagine Dumbledore's greatest wish would be to kill a person. Even someone as apparently deserving of death as old Voldie. Perhaps he saw the boy Tom free of the monstrous Voldemort element.

Bunny
May 19th, 2005, 12:21 pm
hi just wondering if thers any theries of what dumledore could have seen in the mirrior of erised???Although, Dumbledore is humble type of guy, I think, maybe, what he sees is a peaceful wizard world.He is pretty eccentric...maybe he really did see socks. Ha, maybe he did Mad-Druid... you never know. That would by just like old Dumbly-dore!Manys the time I've desired to have a pair of warm socks on my feet to help me with the daring quest of crossing the bathroom tiles in winter. :rotfl: I'm going with Mad_Druid and Mimble_Wimble (I love that name), it was socks.

Animikokala
May 19th, 2005, 2:41 pm
I'd like to think he really did see socks, but with the way he tends to 'lead Harry around by the nose' I don't think that's really it...maybe it is peace in the wizarding world...

although I am waiting for Harry to get DD some socks for christmas... ^_^

Geezer_Blarg
May 19th, 2005, 2:49 pm
I'd like to think he really did see socks, but with the way he tends to 'lead Harry around by the nose' I don't think that's really it...maybe it is peace in the wizarding world...

although I am waiting for Harry to get DD some socks for christmas... ^_^
Perhaps...as wise as he is, and powerful, he magically sheilded himself from it's effects? In such a case, all he saw was a reflection.

Ina
May 19th, 2005, 3:29 pm
Perhaps...as wise as he is, and powerful, he magically sheilded himself from it's effects? In such a case, all he saw was a reflection.

Now, it is stated somewhere, that only a person whose every desires have been fulfilled can use the Mirror as a usual reflection device.

And what sense would it make to shield yourself from seeing your Heart's Desire? Especially since I believe that could sometimes be of help and getting lost in his desires shurely isn't a thing to be feared for Dumbledore, is it? :)

So, lacking any more satisfying ideas I also stick with the socks - we have seen that one's Heart's Desire can change depending on the situation (alone at night --> family / Quirrelmort --> Stone). So at least at one point DD wil have seen himself with socks.

Geezer_Blarg
May 19th, 2005, 3:31 pm
Now, it is stated somewhere, that only a person whose every desires have been fulfilled can use the Mirror as a usual reflection device.

I don't know a single person that fits that description. As for shielding, in his position, and knowledge, it would be disaterous for him to become ... consumed.

123LRSC
May 19th, 2005, 3:52 pm
I always thought he saw a united wizarding world, free from all evil....I don't know how that would be represented in a mirror but anyway, lol.

Perhaps he saw the joining of the muggle and magic world as he loves muggles so much but I am not so sure on this. It would cause a lot of trouble but I think this belongs on a different thread, lol. :)

Ina
May 19th, 2005, 3:52 pm
yes, if that happend it would be not really good - but I honestly do think that he is wise enough to stick to his own advice (not to get stuck on your desires, like he tells Harry).

Desraelda
May 19th, 2005, 4:58 pm
Although, Dumbledore is humble type of guy, I think, maybe, what he sees is a peaceful wizard world. :rotfl: I'm going with Mad_Druid and Mimble_Wimble (I love that name), it was socks.
I agree with all you guys. Your wants, needs and desires change as you grow older and DD seems like the kind of guy that accepts life as it is ... except for not having enough warm socks.

HarryPotter
May 19th, 2005, 5:23 pm
Perhaps he really did see himself holding that pair of socks.

Socks have a lot of symbolism in the potterverse, I consider them a symbol of freedom.

If Dumbledore holds a pair of socks, it means he is free, also from worries, such as Harry vanquishing Voldemort and the whole Prophecy stuff.

Albus just wants to live in peace, when everything is solved, there is nothing better than sitting, and relaxing, feeling your feet wrapped in a warm pair of soft socks.

DarkSphynx
May 19th, 2005, 6:25 pm
It seems plausible that Dumbledore really did see socks in the mirror, but then why would JK have added the part about Harry not entirely believing him? It would have been completely unnecessary if Dumbledore had been telling the truth. Lines like that in books are supposed to make the reader ponder on the matter, not dismiss what has been said as the truth.

I think Dumbledore would probably have seen something to do with the 'Good Side'; the Order triumphing over Voldemort, Harry succeeding (and defeating Voldemort)... that kind of thing. I don't think Dumbledore will have seen Voldemort dead, because he knows that death isn't a bad thing. I'm pretty sure that it would have something to do with a triumph for the 'Good Side'.

HBprincesscaz
May 19th, 2005, 6:30 pm
i like the idea of his seeing the original order, or an adult and 'good' tom riddle. or maybe a hogwarts without house divisions, picking up on the unity theme suggested? or house elves etc. all on an equal footing.
i'd like to know what his boggart is too...

lilSnuffler
May 19th, 2005, 6:39 pm
There are times when I also think he saw himself holding a pair of socks... but then when I think about it, it doesn't really make any sense. He's a wizard, apowerful one at that. Shouldn't he be able to get a pair of good made socks by flicking his wand or getting it specially made or something? I'm sure Molly Weasley wouldn't mind.

I think he saw the people around him happy. Like he saw Harry with his parents, Neville with his, Snape genuinely happy and so on. If Dumbledore is as humble as the books say then he would probably wish for others to be happy rather than think of himself. But that's only if he is as humble as they say. If not, I think he saw himself defeating Voldemort and claiming the glory rather than how he knew Harry would.

Well...those are my opinions but the theory he wants to take the glory for himself is the fact that he is my least favourite characters in the book.

Bill_Armaorum
May 19th, 2005, 6:44 pm
His boggart would probably be a bogey flavored Bertie Botts Bean

lilSnuffler
May 19th, 2005, 6:53 pm
His boggart would probably be a bogey flavored Bertie Botts Bean :rotfl:

I agree. So maybe when he looked in the Mirror of Erised he saw a world full of lemon drop flavoured beans. It is possible.

Bill_Armaorum
May 19th, 2005, 6:56 pm
Thats what i suggested on the previous page, he would see candy. The man is mad for sweets

dorcasderr
May 19th, 2005, 6:56 pm
I like the idea of redemption for Tom Riddle, but there's a lot to be said for warm socks. Just because Harry doubts this doesn't mean it is truly suspect.

lilSnuffler
May 19th, 2005, 7:00 pm
Seeing Dumbledore's track record in telling the truth there is just that little voice in the back of one's head that simply says 'Everything Dumbledore says is a moderation of the truth'.

But then again....truly warm socks are hard to find...

Master_Feign
May 19th, 2005, 7:04 pm
I think he might have seen love, he doesn't have a family perhaps that is the only thing he desires

He may even just see himself as he is because maybe he doesn't desire anything, he is at peace with himself, and his soul...

Zorro
May 19th, 2005, 8:07 pm
It seems plausible that Dumbledore really did see socks in the mirror, but then why would JK have added the part about Harry not entirely believing him? It would have been completely unnecessary if Dumbledore had been telling the truth. Lines like that in books are supposed to make the reader ponder on the matter, not dismiss what has been said as the truth.

I think Dumbledore would probably have seen something to do with the 'Good Side'; the Order triumphing over Voldemort, Harry succeeding (and defeating Voldemort)... that kind of thing. I don't think Dumbledore will have seen Voldemort dead, because he knows that death isn't a bad thing. I'm pretty sure that it would have something to do with a triumph for the 'Good Side'.
This is close to what I was thinking. If it wasn't important, then why did JKR decide to tell us that DD wasn't necessarily being completely honest. [Besides being a red herring - of course!]

Maybe DD desired to be in Harry's position He does seem to truly admire and care for Harry. Could it be possible that his desire could be to take the burden from Harry and carry it himself?
Or maybe (accepting that Harry's fate caanot be changed) he desires to see a grown-up, happy Harry, in a Voldemort free world? [That's my desire at least.]

Any other guesses out there?

Spirit
May 20th, 2005, 12:26 am
Hm, maybe this thread? What did Dumbledore see in the Mirror or Erised? (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=29870)

I seriously doubt he saw socks. I think that Dumbledore is more of an idealistic person than that.

Willow0224
May 20th, 2005, 5:04 am
Socks seems to be a popular theory, and I didn't question it until OotP- in his ramblings about his reasonings for not telling Harry about the prophecy he said he wanted nothing more then for Harry to be happy and not have that ruin his plans. Maybe he saw a future where LV was gone and Harry was happy?

winky498
May 25th, 2005, 7:13 pm

i'm so glad someone created this thread, since i've thought about this question ever since i read that part, and i think it's one of those things that was too significant an omission for jkr not to bring it up again some time in the last two books.

my own personal theory: after reading dumbledore's speech at the end of OOTP, i think it has to do with harry, and the responsibility he has had to place on harry's shoulders. when you think about it, dumbledore is an almost divine figure in the story. we don't see him as having any flaws or strong desires for anything, except for when it comes to his affection for harry. it seems like his only real weakness is his affection for harry and the fact that it leads him to not tell harry the prophecy. i think of all the things in the world, what dumbledore most desires is that HE could be the chosen one, the only wizard with the ability to kill voldemort, so that he could take the horrible responsibility on himself and not put it on the shoulders of a young man that he's come to love almost as a son. so therefore he would look into the mirror and see himself killing voldemort - or maybe he would see harry living a normal, peaceful life... either way i think it has to do with relieving harry of that terrifying burden.... what do you guys think??

thetwinsrock
May 25th, 2005, 7:16 pm
I think he saw peace and happiness for all.

winky498
May 25th, 2005, 7:17 pm
This is close to what I was thinking. If it wasn't important, then why did JKR decide to tell us that DD wasn't necessarily being completely honest. [Besides being a red herring - of course!]

Maybe DD desired to be in Harry's position He does seem to truly admire and care for Harry. Could it be possible that his desire could be to take the burden from Harry and carry it himself?
Or maybe (accepting that Harry's fate caanot be changed) he desires to see a grown-up, happy Harry, in a Voldemort free world? [That's my desire at least.]

Any other guesses out there?

oops sorry - didn't see this before i wrote mine... anyway i think you have the right idea!!