The DADA Professor in Book Six v2

Pages : [1] 2 3

rotsiepots
July 30th, 2004, 11:16 am
This is a continuation of this (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=1271) thread. Please refer to the original for guidance. :)

So, now that our beloved Professor Umbridge has departed Hogwarts the question remains; who will teach DADA in Book Six? Will Dumbledore have a different professor for NEWTs and OWLs? Will this DADA finally stay on longer than one school year? Will Snape get his dream job? Will Lupin return? Will Dumbledore teach the subject himself? Most importantly, who will this person be?

JKR hasn't dropped any clues, unfortunately, but she has said in the past that she's "not telling ;-)" if we're going to get a DADA teacher who's going to last more than a year. Make of this response what you will. :D

Anyway, feel free to contribute who you think the next DADA teacher will be.

Classical_Wizar
July 30th, 2004, 11:19 am
Hum i think it's going to be a auror just not sure which one.

mehnkle
July 30th, 2004, 11:24 am
I think it would be Dumbledore. He is one of the most powerful wizards, and would easily do a good job.

Padfoot II
July 30th, 2004, 11:41 am
I have a very unrealistic solution which i dont beleive will happen but i can only hope that sirius will return everyone willl find out he is innocent and will teach defense against the dark arts.

on a more realistic note i reckon she will either introduce a new charcter or will bring Lupin back,get an auror or Snape willl FINALLY get the job ( but i actually think this willl be saved for book seven)
:eyebrows:

Lord Nicholai
July 30th, 2004, 11:52 am
i agree...if Snape were to ever get the job, i think it'll be in book 7 (but who would teach potions?)

I think in book 6 we'll see a new character for the position. I reckon they'll die protecting the HBP or saving students from the HBP.

Jaguar
July 30th, 2004, 12:00 pm
I'd love to see Lupin back, but now he's been outed as a werewolf I don't think that's going to happen. It just has to be a new teacher- ohh I know what would be cool! Bill Weasley.

scouse_7
July 30th, 2004, 12:10 pm
Yer but it might be Lupin because if there is a new minister for MoM then they could sack Umbridge and the rule that she brought in could just simply fade away then he will get the job.Surely if Arthur Weasly did get it he would try to get Lupin to be able to get the job

filius
July 30th, 2004, 12:20 pm
Yer but it might be Lupin because if there is a new minister for MoM then they could sack Umbridge and the rule that she brought in could just simply fade away then he will get the job.Surely if Arthur Weasly did get it he would try to get Lupin to be able to get the job

I definetely is not going to be Lupin because as Jaguar said, everyone knows that he is a werewolf. Parents would write in and all that jazz. So, it can't be him. It might be Snape. *oh the Horror!*
I don't think DD would teach them because there is too much going on for him what with Voldemort on the loose and his headmaster duties on top of that.

I think that there is a possibility that Moody of Tonks will be the teacher.

Moody has played his part for GoF. Tonks has not proven herself very..useful so far. Maybe its her turn to be the teacher.

Jaguar
July 30th, 2004, 12:20 pm
I think the prejudice in the Wizarding world- ie, that werewolves are dangerous, has put a shot at any chance Lupin has at getting the job. It's not only families like the Malfoys who would oppose it. I guess it's similar to some of the prejudices parents have in our world about teachers.

Baron_G
July 30th, 2004, 12:50 pm
Snape will get it now, especially if Dumbledore dies. Because I figure that death creates a vacuum in the teacher's hierarchy that needs to be filled in by a new teacher who is already established by book six. If that Professor is DADA, then either the Professor must break the pattern(of new DADA teachers every year) and continue into 7 or Snape takes the mantle early while Professor New is relegated to Potions. That is if DD dies.

The pattern could best be broken by Snape because then the "DADA jinx" raises question marks over his own survival for book 6. Now that Voldemort is in the open and Snape continues to operate and glean information from the DEs, he is in a deliciously perilous position. And better that DD die saving Snape than Harry because I don't think the lad could take this on top of everything else.

Snape's actions at the end of OotP might be reason enough for DD to finally give him his dream job despite the occlumency fracas. This also conveniently lets Harry carry on with Potions under a more sensitive teacher. The auror ambition may seem moot in the face of the prophecy but I'm sure Harry will soon sieze it as the ideal excuse to train without arousing the suspicions of his friends.

Snape's knowledge of the Dark Arts is what Harry could make the most use of. Harry needs to understand what he's up against and despise the Dark Arts at the same time. Snape by his very nature could bring about all of that. Oh, I expect Snape to be a vicious teacher, even go so far as jinxing students without warning for his own pleasure but what better circumstances for Harry to learn? He has learned better under a moment's threat of danger and confrontation than from day after day of monotonous teaching. Then there is also my theory that like Bellatrix, Snape learned his advanced Dark Arts from Voldemort himself. You can't get a better inside track into the Dark Lord's methods than that. Snape in turn might have to face comparisons to the best defence teacher of last year, Harry himself. I can see that leading to a duel between them, under the pretext of a class lesson of course. They would love to have a go at each other I'm sure. And Harry could lose that encounter just so he learns enough to win in the end.

Archidemes
July 30th, 2004, 1:04 pm
Maybe it's SOMEONE Harry met but never took notice of? :shrug: :shrug: :huh:

Kaylor
July 30th, 2004, 3:48 pm
Jo said that Arthur was not gonig to be the Minister, so you can rule that one out. Doubt it's going to be Lupin because of the parents (Snape ruins everyones fun), so my guess would be Tonks or one of the other Aurors. Maybe even Arthur?

Jillstar03
July 30th, 2004, 3:50 pm
I can't imagine it being Tonks or Moody, or many other people in the Order, they will have their hands full already, trying to find Voldemort, etc...
The only thing I can think of happening is Snape, or a completely new character getting the job!

APoetsInstinct
July 30th, 2004, 3:52 pm
Tonks would be a great one to fill the position, but I believe wholeheartedly that it will be Snape. Snape would be the best candidate so that the Potions job will be vacated, leaving it open to another, less strict teacher. A less strict teacher is important because Harry will most likely not do particularly well on his O.W.L., but will need N.E.W.T. potions. But, ya never know.

NIrvanaFreak
July 30th, 2004, 4:25 pm
I think Snape will get the job, but only in book seven. Maybe he'll be less mean to Harry and co.....then again, maybe not! ;-) For book six, I think that maybe a new character will be introduced, or a seemingly insignifigant character from the previous books, will teach DADA.

zoeydsngwrtr
July 30th, 2004, 4:33 pm
Actually, I agree that it could plausibly be Tonks. That's what came to my mind when I read the first post, and I see that I am not the only one who thinks so. I know there is a lot going on in the order, and her disguise is definatly needed outside, but there needs to be somebody in the order...oh, you know what, never mind. I just realized that half the professors at Hogwarts are in the order....I still think it would be intresting to see Tonks, but it would make more sense for a new character to come in, perhaps a new member of the order, or someone who doesn't know about it at all?

tigger101023
July 30th, 2004, 4:41 pm
i agree...if Snape were to ever get the job, i think it'll be in book 7 (but who would teach potions?).
i agree it wouldn't be 'til Book 7, and that's iffy. I can see a scenario in which Dumbledore really doesn't want to give it to Snape, but he has no choice. And I think Dumbledore would come to regret that decision. Snape may not betray the good guys, necessarily, but a lot can still go wrong. After all, JKR did call Snape a "deeply horrible person", a terrible teacher, said we need to watch him, etc.

I can't ever see that Snape can "earning" the job, because of his past. Dumbledore trusts him, but I don't think he would ever voluntarily give Snape the job.

And I love the idea of it being Tonks! Now that Voldemort's out in the open, the Order may pick up more manpower. We'll see...

ramones
July 30th, 2004, 4:41 pm
Rosiepots The link to the old thread isn't working.

I never thought of this, but what if the Half Blood Prince is the new DADA teacher?!!?! :huh:

SarahBetz1
July 30th, 2004, 6:08 pm
I don't think Snape will get the job until book 7. I can't imagine JKR giving it to Snape just yet. No, I think he will have to wait till the end.
As to the next DADA professor, I think it could be Dumbledor, yet I can't imagine him taking the job. How many previous head masters took a teaching job?
I think it will be a new character. If you look at JKR's pattern, the DADA has always been a new character to the series.

Hammi
July 30th, 2004, 6:59 pm
I think that there is a possibility that Moody of Tonks will be the teacher.

Moody has played his part for GoF. Tonks has not proven herself very..useful so far. Maybe its her turn to be the teacher.

At first I thought this would't happen because I was thinking that the ministry wouldn't give up an auror in a time of war. But then I thought well, maybe it is if they want one stationed at Hogwarts for a sort of protection. So, yeah, maybe we wil see an auror in the DADA posistion.

APoetsInstinct
July 30th, 2004, 7:02 pm
I just had a thought that it may be Tonks disguised as a new character. This would fill both the need for a new character (but not really) and would give her a chance to prove herself.

michaela
July 30th, 2004, 7:16 pm
I think Tonks would be more concentrating on the Order instead of teaching.

trekkie450
July 30th, 2004, 7:40 pm
HBP being the DADA seams cool if it happens. But i still thinks its goning to be snape. Harry need potions and only way in is if he A) gets top grade on OWLs which i dought, B) Snape lowers his standards (dought it again), or finally C) Snape goes to DADA post. The main reason for this is so that harry can learn the WAY more advance DA that he will need to learn how to defend against. second i think Snape will be the one to last past two years. maybe he put the curse on the post, ya never know? :angel: :evil:

Rumpelstintin
July 30th, 2004, 8:16 pm
mmm... I think that Tonks could be quite a funny teacher,or... I don't know, maybe Kingsley Shacklebolt?
And has anyone think about what is going to happen with Hagrid's little brother? I mean, if Hagrid stops teaching CMC, Charlie Weasley could be a great teacher!! :p

TylerDurden
July 30th, 2004, 8:26 pm
I have a very unrealistic solution which i dont beleive will happen but i can only hope that sirius will return everyone willl find out he is innocent and will teach defense against the dark arts.

on a more realistic note i reckon she will either introduce a new charcter or will bring Lupin back,get an auror or Snape willl FINALLY get the job ( but i actually think this willl be saved for book seven)
:eyebrows:

How many times has it been said, that Sirius is dead, and never to return in human form (that is to say, not a portrait). Please, put this theroy to rest people!

On the subject: I think it'd be great to have Dumbledore taking the job, but I do beleive he has way too many thoughts on his mind and it'd be difficult to take the job, no matter how ingenious this guy really is.

Lupin probably wont come back, being as most parents know he is a wearwolf despite the fact teaching the Dark Arts is more important than most thing, I dont think Lupins all so ready to go fight Voldemort on his own (read carefully, you'll misunderstand that).

So therefore, I beleive this to be left to the task of an Auror and my guess may be Kingsley.

arcanus
July 30th, 2004, 8:31 pm
I think Jo will keep up the tradition and give us someone we haven't heard before. It will be interesting what kind of personality she'll put in office this time. Maybe not so much a psychopath like in the other books (with the exception for Lupin, have to put that hear or the Lupin fans will call for my blood...), but a competent teacher who's compassionate and cares about his students and can teach them some real defense.

Lirio
July 30th, 2004, 11:38 pm
I think it'll either be someone completely new or Snape. It's been someone new everytime before, but now that's becoming a little bit boring. As so many people have said, it would leave the post of Potions free for someone with lower standards to come in and let Harry into their class and then Potions would be oh-so more enjoyable.

Misery on the DADA front though....oh well, Harry's good at it, shouldn't be too painful.

Prof.Blink
July 31st, 2004, 12:02 am
I definately don't think it will be someone from within the order or any aurors. They will now be too busy focusing on spying and fighting Voldermort and his DE's.

If anyone in the order does get the job, i think it might be Snape. He has always wanted it and now Dumbledore seems to be having an increasingly hard job of finding someone else to do it. If Harry fails to get into his potions class next year, Snape could be kept in the story by making him take the DADA lessons.

Having said that, i think it is most likely to be someone new. There has been a new teacher every year so far and each DADA teacher has been quite important in the overall plot. Maybe we'll get someone a bit more 'normal' this time (no offence to any of the previous DADA teachers :p ).

TGB
July 31st, 2004, 12:04 am
Snape or some new character (most likely)

Tonks04
July 31st, 2004, 12:07 am
I think it might be some new character, Snape is too good wth the potions

ornjbreezy
July 31st, 2004, 12:07 am
Originally posted by mehnkle
I think it would be Dumbledore. He is one of the most powerful wizards, and would easily do a good job.
Then why in the world wouldn't Dumbledore have just taught them all in OotP instead of having that toad Umb**** come and teach? It's illogical.

And for all of you saying that Tonks will get it, that's illogical too. She recently became an auror, and she wouldn't study for x number of years to be an auror for about a month and then teach. If that would happen, she could have just taught in OotP! The only reason the auror Mad-Eye got it was because he was RETIRED not just because he was a good auror. There is really very very little evidence supporting the Tonks rumor. It won't happen folks. I'll eat Stinksap if it does.

I'll vote for... Andromeda Tonks! That's Nymphadora's mom, if you've forgotten. She was mentioned, so we know her. We know her daughter is great at being an auror, if clumsy, which could mean that she, too, is skilled. I don't think she was mentioned in passing for nothing.
If it's not her, I think it'll be a whole new character, possibly the HBP.

Snape won't be it as long as Dumbledore is headmaster. If Dumbledore chose Umbridge over him for the job, well that's really saying something. I think JK would be hard-put to make a character even worse than Umbridge that would make Dumbledore want to choose Snape instead.

Charly tha girl
July 31st, 2004, 12:44 am
Ornjbreezy, I think you are right.

It is good that someone points out why certain persons just can't be the new DADA teacher. I just wanted to add one person...
Lupin won't be the new teacher either, because he himself doesn't want to endanger the students with him being a werewolf (In case something goes wrong and he's out on the grounds at full moon, like in PoA). It's not only because parents would start to write letters. I think...

And I'm voting for a new character, possible HBP, for DADA teacher.
(Was that weird grammar/spelling? If it was, I'm sorry. I'm from the Netherlands you see... :p
Good. Better be off reading some PoA, at 1.45 AM. I love summer holidays :agree:)

Tonks023
July 31st, 2004, 12:53 am
I think that somewhere in book 6 or 7 Fleur Delacour will work at Hogwarts...here's my reasoning:

on pg 724 of GoF....
[/QUOTE]"'We will see each uzzer again, I 'ope," said Fleur as she reached him holding out her hand. "I am 'oping to get a job 'ere to improve my Eenglish."[QUOTE]

dementorskiss
July 31st, 2004, 7:18 am
I think I mentioned this on the old thread... but I'm not sure...anyway:

I think JKR will stick with the new character introduction. The new character may be the HBP, I don't know... but what I do hope for is it to be a friend of Lily's... we don't know much about her. A friend of her's would be a great way to find out this "Big thing about Lily". Of course this might not happen considering she already used this type of introduction with Remus... but I can hope...

arcanus
July 31st, 2004, 8:12 am
I think that somewhere in book 6 or 7 Fleur Delacour will work at Hogwarts...here's my reasoning:

on pg 724 of GoF....
"'We will see each uzzer again, I 'ope," said Fleur as she reached him holding out her hand. "I am 'oping to get a job 'ere to improve my Eenglish."

She's already got a job at Gringott's to improve her Eenglish, and she isn't the most capable person in Defense. If you picked her you could use Harry as well since he probably knows as much as she does about defensive magic.

Credo Buffa
July 31st, 2004, 8:31 am
I think JKR will stick with the new character introduction. The new character may be the HBP, I don't know...

That's a really interesting idea. I'm still debating with myself on whether or not the HBP is someone we've already met, or someone entirely new, but I like the idea of it being the next DADA prof. That would hopefully mean that it'd be someone who's actually a decent person! It's been a while since we've had one of those in the DADA spot.

AncientPlum
July 31st, 2004, 8:42 am
I'm sticking to my wands on this one. I really believe that the HBP will be the new DADA teacher. Let's look at it this way. Every year the DADA professor has played an important part in the book, right? Right! Sooooo, how about finally naming the book after them. Now before you naysayers say that Dumbledore would never have a vampire as a professor, let's remember Lupin, the werewolf. Next you may say that class is during the daytime, well he made special arrangements for Firenze, the centaurs. Thirdly and lastly you may say that as a vampire, he may suck the Hogwarts community's blood but remember, he can always go to the Forbidden Forest if he's hungry. Ok, sure many of you are saying that HBP may not refer to a Vampire but hey, we're talking about Dumbledore here. Oh, about Snape finally getting the post, I think this is definitely NOT the time for him to become. Hmmm, possibly Dumbledore will feel he will teach the children more Dark Arts than Defence of the Dark Arts. Joanne claims all will be answered by the end of the book so hopefully Snape's activities with the Death Eater's b4 Dumbledore interruption will be clearly stated. As for as Fleur is concerned, she is already working at the Ministry to improve her English while dating Bill Weasley. I don't believe any aurors or Weasleys will become DADA's either. Ohhhh, I have a scary thought, Percy Weasley! No, I don't believe any Weasley will be DADA. I don't doubt their capabilities but it'll look kinda fishy if someone of the Order was working there, Tom is not THAT stupid.

So, if you may have missed my point, I think that the new DADA professor AND the HBP will be a Vampire and unlike previous years, Draco Malfoy can't cry to daddy so he can stay for more than 1 year. I must say though, since Harry came to Hogwarts, that's probably not likely for a DADA professor to stay longer than that. Dumbledore activities with the order are needed now more than ever so I don't suspect he'll be teaching DADA in the 6th year.

Godrics_Heiress
July 31st, 2004, 8:49 am
This is one prediction that I'm really a difficult time to do. If there had been clues laid and hidden about who the next DADA professor would be in OotP or any of the books, I'd say that is a helluva job of JKR to really tuck away those clues. But, If I must choose who I would want to see for the position, it would be Remus Lupin.

He could actually keep an eye on Harry and his peers, be on the lookout for possible Death Eaters' plan to breach Hogwarts. I think this is big enough a responsibility for him as an Order member: patrolling Howarts day and night, making sure Harry and his friends stay out of trouble, and at the same time teaching a class he's more than capable and qualified to do.

IheartLupin12
July 31st, 2004, 9:09 am
Someone mentioned earlier that perhaps the HBP will end up being the new DADA professor....this seems to make sense in my mind because all of the DADA professors in the past have not been exactly what they had seemed to be--Quirrell-LV under his turban(did no one think it was strange he had a turban on anyway?), Lockhart-Fraud and a Fake and a *#&$*#*# in my opinion, Lupin-werewolf(though we love him, right?:)), Moody-Crouch Jr and finally Umbridge...well it was pretty obvious she was a HUGE beast..but we didnt really know how awful until the end(who sends dementors to little whinging anyway...kind of a cheap shot if you ask me).
So, maybe the DADA will be someone we have already met, who ends up playing the role of the HBP....who knows!
My vote is for Kingsley Shacklebolt(not definitley as the HBP...just the dada professor)

sergorat
July 31st, 2004, 4:20 pm
snape is the next teacher. they get a new potions teacher, so that harry can become an auror.

JDR237
July 31st, 2004, 5:03 pm
You know why there is a jinx on the DADA job? Because Snape cursed it that's why. I don't think he gets the job in the next book, maybe 7. Dumbledore won't do it, he would have done it in the last book if he were going to, besides he didn't hire Umbridge, Fudge did. I don't know who it will be but I don't believe it's Snape or Dumbledore.

Rattan
July 31st, 2004, 5:06 pm
Cant lose out on those classic Potions torture sessions. So I say Snape is out.

We'll meet the teacher at some point in the book. We always do. No need to speculate on a character we don't know about. But then again JK might change that this time around. Who knows?

phoenix8
July 31st, 2004, 5:17 pm
It has to be a new character.I think Dumbledore has plenty other things to do with the order,school etc and this would be a little too much for him.I don't doubt his credibility but I look fowrd to a new character.But I don't want Snape at all for this post.Tonks or Kingsley would be a good choice.

SeekerLynch
July 31st, 2004, 5:22 pm
I think it will be a new character; all the past ones have been. This is based on a continuing pattern, however, and there's no real evidence.
If it is a character we already know, here're my ideas:

1. Dumbledore
He's already Headmaster and is much to busy to teach a class.

2. Lupin
Lupin resined before because people found out that he was a werewolf. This situation hasn't changed, and plus, if he wanted to come back, Dumbledore would have hired him in Book 5.

3. Snape
He hasn't been able to get the job before, so why should he now? Also, who would teach potions?

4. Tonks
She might, but she's already an auror, and probably doesn't have time to take another job, especially sinse she's in the Order.

Oh, I thought I would think of a character that might get the job, but I never did. Oh, well, that just supports my theory that it will be a new character.

FreckledApples
July 31st, 2004, 5:52 pm
i think it will be snape. then he will be forced to accept harry into the class b/c harry is so good. and then maybe the new potions teacher will lower the standards and harry will get into potions for him newt class!

Hilma
July 31st, 2004, 8:41 pm
Who was the DADA teacher the year before Harry started at Hogwarts? Someone nice and “normal” who is retired now?

As a lot of you in this thread think, I think J.K.R will introduce a completely new character for teaching DADA.
My second guess is someone in the order, but I haven’t decied who is most possible.
But I also don’t think it is THAT impossible that Snape has gained enough reliability to get the job –as some of you said -it would be a smart solution of the “Harry-isn’t-good-in-potions-problem”, as Snape is a really important charecter and will continue to be.

I wouldn’t be surprised though, if the DADA teacher isn’t important to the story in the sixth book. He/she used to be ‘til now, and that’s a good reason to skip that part this time, and focus on a more “unexpected” teacher in another subject. There are a few we never think about, aren’t there, who really could be impotrtant to the plot in the book this time. J.K.R likes twists, we know that by now for sure! :)

SeekerLynch
July 31st, 2004, 8:58 pm
i think it will be snape. then he will be forced to accept harry into the class b/c harry is so good. and then maybe the new potions teacher will lower the standards and harry will get into potions for him newt class!
I like that idea. But I think that if Snape gets the job, it'll be in Bool 7, because we were introduced to the fact that Snape wants the job in Book 1, so it's a running sort of thing and it would make sence for it to end in Book 7, just like a lot of other mysteries.

BeMyLobster
July 31st, 2004, 9:17 pm
I really do not believe that Snape will get the DADA position just yet. The position is supposedly "cursed" and I don't see Snape not being at Hogwarts in Harry's seventh year. In the past 5 books there has always been a new character teaching that position, which is what I believe will happen again. The DADA prefessor always has quite a large part in he plot, so I suppose there is a chance that this person could be the HBP.

Alienet51
July 31st, 2004, 9:18 pm
I beleive Dumbledore will teach Defense Against the Dark Arts himself. Now before you all start spouting how illogical it is, lets stop and think real quick. Some will ask why didn't he teach during OotP? Well thats easy, Fudge and the ministry was keeping a close eye on him and breathing down his neck, how would it look, if Dumbledore who is suspected of tryin to raise an army to take out fudge starts training students himself? The ministry would have stepped in quickly because in their mind, it would be too much of a threat. Now others will say he has too much on his mind with the war, but hey that is what the pensive is for, and how hard could it be for Dumbledore to teach but what he's been battling his entire life, itlls natural for him, just like it was natural for Harry to teach the D.A. Dumbldore was able to fight Voldemort off without even killing him, Dumbledore was able to take out the Minister of Magic, Umbridge and 3 Aurors with one swipe...now who is more qualified to teach Defense than this man!!! The order is out fighting right now, Dumbledore will always remain at Hogwarts because without him there, its vulnerable. Lastly, with Dumbledore teaching, he can home and sharpen Harry's skills better than anyone, teach him everything he knows, since now they both know what Harry must do to end it all. I'm not sayin this is all a sure thing, but i think it raises some interesting points and could be one more possibility for a new DADA teacher

SeekerLynch
July 31st, 2004, 9:23 pm
Dumbledore is already Headmaster and working for the Order. He doesn't have time to teach a cless. Plus, JKR has already given him the role of omniscient headmaster and all-powerful anti-Voldemort activist.

Rene
July 31st, 2004, 9:30 pm
I'd love to see Lupin back, but now he's been outed as a werewolf I don't think that's going to happen. It just has to be a new teacher- ohh I know what would be cool! Bill Weasley.

That's a plan I could get behind! Bill would be a great idea and he could keep an eye out on the trio. :tu:

sergorat
July 31st, 2004, 10:07 pm
2. Lupin
Lupin resined before because people found out that he was a werewolf. This situation hasn't changed, and plus, if he wanted to come back, Dumbledore would have hired him in Book 5.

The Times They Are a-Changin'.... i think that the people trust dumbledore's descisions more. so i think that lupin could come back. but there is still snape and i doubt that he brews the anti-werewolf potion if lupin gets the job.

Sile
July 31st, 2004, 10:53 pm
I agree that it wont be snape. It might be kingsley or some other auror but they might be too busy with uncaptured DE and LV. Then again it might be some unknown character.

atherella
August 1st, 2004, 12:35 am
This is slightly off topic, but still is relevant.

Do we know if there are any qualifications one must have to become a professor at Hogwarts? Is it enough to simply be a "fully qualified wizard", meaning only graduating from Hogwarts?

godrics hollow
August 1st, 2004, 12:49 am
:p its gonna be harry himself!~!~!~! :p lol jk i just wish but dumbledore might get potter to teach everyone dada in the great hall like the no brain lockhart tried to do

DragonBlk17
August 1st, 2004, 12:50 am
It could be,possibly, a whole new character in the series, but they might be a spy for Voldemort or something

Lord Spade
August 1st, 2004, 1:30 am
-I agree with those that think Snape will get the job in the 7th book. leaving the book 6 DADA teacher to be a new character and member of the order. This fits the description of Dumblerdore's brother. I think it would be interesting to see him as DADA teacher. Of course it could be Tonks as well. I would still be interested in Dumblerdore's brother...

ravenclawguy
August 1st, 2004, 2:08 am
I believe that Nymphadora Tonks will be the new DADA teacher, and I also believe she will be the one to break the trend of "new DADA teacher every year."

I think she'll be the next and remaining DADA teacher of the series because she was just introduced in OotP, she is an Auror, and nearly everyone likes her that has met her (that we know of). I think she will be placed at Hogwarts by Dumbledore/the Order to keep an even closer watch on Harry than now. I realise Harry is being watched extremely carefully, possibly even in ways that have yet to be revealed. Since she is an Auror, if a Dark Wizard or something like that ever tried to harm Harry within her sight, she would know exactly what to do. Even though Dumbledore is a great wizard, he is not all-powerful, and he cannot be everywhere Harry is all the time, and he cannot be the one that will "come to the rescue" with explanations and solutions, so I think that Tonks will serve this purpose, along with her teaching duties.

I think she'll las as DADA teacher until the end of the series because we have only just met her, but , even though she is clumcy at times, she is a strong character, and I think it'll be hard for anything to force her to leave Hogwarts in the next book.

niffler12
August 1st, 2004, 2:41 am
I can't really think of someone who'd fit. In book 5 the ministry had to apoint Umbridge because DD couldn't get anyone else to do it. I'm sure Snape was eager for the job, but DD still didn't give it to him, and took his chances with good ol' Delores, Probably knowing her style beforehand. Why would he five Snape the job now. Tonks seems too young, Moody's had his fair share of troubles, I'd love to see Lupin back but who knows. It would be funny if they did stay for the last 2 years and break the jinx. I liked the HBP being the DADA teacher theory but I don't know, we'll see.

TerrierMom
August 1st, 2004, 2:48 am
I don't think the Ministry HAD to appoint Umbridge so much as they WANTED to.

DragonBlk17
August 1st, 2004, 2:49 am
I don't think the Ministry HAD to appoint Umbridge so much as they WANTED to.

Hey if I was part of the ministry, I wouldn't of appointed Umbridge even if my life depended on it

SiriusBlack
August 1st, 2004, 2:58 am
Well, if you were aiming at giving hell to Hogwarts, you'd have done so surely.

TerrierMom
August 1st, 2004, 3:03 am
Hey if I was part of the ministry, I wouldn't of appointed Umbridge even if my life depended on it

Probably not. But you wouldn't have been trying to deny that Voldemort was back while discrediting the Greatest Wizard Of The Modern Age and The Boy Who Lived, either. The Ministry, aka Fudge and his supporters, appointed Umbridge because they wanted to control what went on at Hogwarts. They wanted to interfere at Hogwarts, as was said in OOTP.

Darkillness
August 1st, 2004, 3:17 am
My vote is in for the HBP as the new DADA teacher, if he's a new student. (They should make this a poll.) Otherwise I like the Dumbledore's brother theory, that'd be interesting specially if he's the grumpy Hogs Head bartender. There's nothing wrong with him as far as we know, and that appears to be a trend behind DADA teachers (Quirrel-Voldy, Lockhart-fake, Lupin-werewolf :upset:, Moody-Crouch, and Umbridge-evil.) It's debatable though cause we didn't know there was something wrong with at the beginning.

JDR237
August 1st, 2004, 3:19 am
If it's Snape, he'll be dead before book 7.

Floria
August 1st, 2004, 3:28 am
You know, Mr. (or Mrs.) JDR, I tend to agree with you. As much as I love (adore) Snape, and hate to see him sacrifice himself in an act of 'redemption' (vomitsattragicwastefulendofgoodcharacter), I think that it's near-inevitable, considering JKR. I'm hoping that it'll be a new character, and leaning towards that, but if it's Snape, I think he'll be gone before the end of the book. I don't see breaking the tradition of one-year-tenure until book seven's epilogue (or maybe not at all?).

panther02
August 2nd, 2004, 2:26 am
Books 1-5 have a pattern in the way JKR introduces the new DADA teacher.
SS/PS-Quirrell introduced at Leaky Cauldron.
CoS-Lockhart introduced at the book store.
PoA-Lupin introduced on the train.
GoF-Moody introduced after dustbin incident.
OotP-Umbridge introduced at Harry's hearing.
All five of these characters are not shown until the book that they are supposed to teach in, making me believe that we will get a completely new character yet again.

There is a patten to how the books relate to each other. 1-7, 2-6, 3-5, and finally, 4 stands alone. In PoA we find out that Lupin is a werewolf which caused him to lose his job. In OotP, Umbridge is opposed to half-breeds and gets thrown out by half-breeds. In CoS, Lockhart is a fake who loses his memory from a wand backfiring. If we follow the pattern we will find a character who knows their stuff, but at the end of the year is gone due to some sort trick.

Go ahead and debate me on this, I don't care. Go ahead and say I'm wrong or right but this is just a theory that can only be proven by the book itself.

fantasybelle
August 2nd, 2004, 2:38 am
I agree with panther02; I definitely think that it will be a new character. I don't think that JKR would give Snape the job now when she's been denying it for 5 books already.

xharrypotterx
August 2nd, 2004, 2:47 am
Originally Posted by FantasyBelle:
I definitely think that it will be a new character. I don't think that JKR would give Snape the job now when she's been denying it for 5 books already.

I dont think that JK would give Snape the job either. It seems kind of pointless to finally give into Snape's demands after all of those years of petitioning for the job. And theres another thing who would take over the Potions job? Sureley Snape would not fulfill two teaching positions at once. Either way Snape gets a job and another character would have to be introduced. Unless JKR brings back Lupin as the DADA, which would be (for me at least) the best scenario, I think a new character would have to be introduced. Bringing back Lupin as a professor would just be backtracking over the same type of issues already covered in PoA. We've already seen Lupin's teaching and it would be (however much I hate to admit it) pointless to have him as a teacher once again.

Culte Ventosus
August 2nd, 2004, 2:53 am
I agree with the majorty. The pattern of making a new character the DADA teacher will continue. On the other hand, Fudge and probably Percy look to be available. Ha! Ha!

DragonBlk17
August 2nd, 2004, 2:55 am
Books 1-5 have a pattern in the way JKR introduces the new DADA teacher.
SS/PS-Quirrell introduced at Leaky Cauldron.
CoS-Lockhart introduced at the book store.
PoA-Lupin introduced on the train.
GoF-Moody introduced after dustbin incident.
OotP-Umbridge introduced at Harry's hearing.
All five of these characters are not shown until the book that they are supposed to teach in, making me believe that we will get a completely new character yet again.

There is a patten to how the books relate to each other. 1-7, 2-6, 3-5, and finally, 4 stands alone. In PoA we find out that Lupin is a werewolf which caused him to lose his job. In OotP, Umbridge is opposed to half-breeds and gets thrown out by half-breeds. In CoS, Lockhart is a fake who loses his memory from a wand backfiring. If we follow the pattern we will find a character who knows their stuff, but at the end of the year is gone due to some sort trick.

Go ahead and debate me on this, I don't care. Go ahead and say I'm wrong or right but this is just a theory that can only be proven by the book itself.

That's what I thought....I thought that we would be introduced to a whole new character who would end up being the DADA teacher

Ms Weasley
August 2nd, 2004, 3:17 am
Snape
Pros: Harry will have gotten an O in DADA, but he might not have been so lucky in Potions. Harry needs a NEWT in Potions to be an Auror, but the way it looks now, Snape won't allow him to do NEWTs. Also, Snape could perfectly teach the kids as he know exactly how Voldemort and his DE's fight.
Cons: The need for a new Potions teacher, greater risk of exposure that he's a 'double agent'.

Tonks
Pros: Obviously she'd be highly qualified, as she's an Auror. She'd have more knowledge than any of the previous teacher (even more than Moody, as he wasn't a real Auror but an impostor).
Cons: She's probable needed more than ever at the Ministry, and we don't know what the situation will be. She might need to continue recruiting/keeping an eye on what's happening at the ministry.

Dumbledore
Pros: Arguably the most powerful wizard alive, he'd do a wonderful job teaching those kids.
Cons: As leader of the Order, he'll very likely be too busy. Note that he didn't take the job on himself sooner, not even when Umbridge was made DADA-teacher because he couldn't find anyone.

Lupin
Pros: We know he's a competent and popular teacher.
Cons: Parents will go crazy, and some kids might not want to be taught by a werewolf. There's also a great chance he'll need to do even more work for the Order, like convincing the werewolves they shouldn't join Voldemort.

Sirius
Is dead. End of story.

Moody
Pros: Knows a great deal about fighting the Dark Arts.
Cons: Might not be too happy about doing it, as the last time he was locked in a trunk for 9 months. Parents might not be happy with it either.

Mrs Weasley
Pros: Has no other work, and no children at home anymore. Is strict, but usually fair and would scare all students into submission.
Cons: We don't know anything about how competent a witch she is, she couldn't even get rid of a Boggart.

New character
Pros: Could be anything
Cons: Another character introduction might take up valuable space in the book and could be very annoying.

So far, I'm leaning towards Snape.

nextsuperhero
August 2nd, 2004, 4:33 am
although snape is highly qualified I just can't belive it. I would be worried that he'd try to teach the students dark arts instead of defense against them.

Korpiklaani
August 2nd, 2004, 4:35 am
It will have to be a new character. JKR likes patterns. And, maybe this character will also be the HBP. Just an idea.

Ms Weasley
August 2nd, 2004, 4:37 am
although snape is highly qualified I just can't belive it. I would be worried that he'd try to teach the students dark arts instead of defense against them.
That's the point that bugs me about Snape. If he really is on the 'light side', then why doesn't Dumbledore let him teach DADA. If he's afraid he might teach the kids dark arts, then he doesn't trust him after all. Hmmm...

trekkie450
August 2nd, 2004, 4:41 am
it will prob be a new charactor. But i still say SNAPE

Kelfa21
August 2nd, 2004, 4:47 am
You know, Mr. (or Mrs.) JDR, I tend to agree with you. As much as I love (adore) Snape, and hate to see him sacrifice himself in an act of 'redemption' (vomitsattragicwastefulendofgoodcharacter), I think that it's near-inevitable, considering JKR. I'm hoping that it'll be a new character, and leaning towards that, but if it's Snape, I think he'll be gone before the end of the book. I don't see breaking the tradition of one-year-tenure until book seven's epilogue (or maybe not at all?).

I agree with you guys on that...it would seem plausible that if Snape was appointed the new DADA teacher....he'll be the next major character to die

JK did say that Sirius was the first of a long string of major characters that were going to be killed.

But, given the predictability of the books...and now given the fact that a Ministry appointed official could not survive a year as DADA professor...it would be logical that Dumbledoore would have no choice but to hire Snape...

I think we'll be seeing a new character anyone....an adult character who will either be appointed as DADA Professor or as Potions Master to replace Snape

Selene Sedai
August 2nd, 2004, 5:30 am
I think its going to be Karkaroff. Or perhaps Victor Krum? That would bring back the Hermione/Ron fight...

Jinxie Cat
August 2nd, 2004, 8:24 am
I am sticking to my theory that the new DADA Professor will be someone brand-new.

I've noticed a pattern in all five books. Harry had met all the DADA Professors prior to arriving at Hogwarts and he had never met them before that year.

Examples:

PS/SS: Harry meets Quirrel in The Three Broomsticks
CoS: Harry meets Lockhart in Flourish and Blotts
PoA: Harry meets Lupin on the train ride to Hogwarts
GoF: Moody is mentioned an awful lot in the beginning
OotP: Harry saw Umbridge at his hearing

This leads me to believe that the new DADA teacher will be someone we've never met before and Harry will meet them right before he goes to Hogwarts.

Senai
August 2nd, 2004, 8:32 am
Like everyone's saying, it should be a new character, but this time the teacher will probably be a competent one. I mean, now that everyone's sure Voldie's back, and the Ministry isn't interfering, Dumbledore won't hire just anyone. It would be nice to see someone from the Order, but they'll all be pretty busy, I think...

On a whim, I'm gonna say Andromeda Tonks. The theory about her and Bellatrix being twins was cool (though I don't remember who came up with it! sorry).

StaRz
August 2nd, 2004, 8:38 am
Tonks!

no1 potter fan
August 2nd, 2004, 11:26 am
Before Sirius died I would have said him but now I'm not sure matbe Tonks could teach it since she is an auror or maybe a new character. But if JKRs' not saying then I think we know this person.

idlescribbler
August 3rd, 2004, 4:02 am
Or perhaps Victor Krum? That would bring back the Hermione/Ron fight...

I thought of Krum as well, but we have no idea of knowing what the actual requirements for the position are.

Given the state of emergency that the Wizarding world is entering into, it might be prudent to have another member of the OOTP on staff at Hogwarts. Let's not forget that there are already 4 members that we know of for sure (Dumbledore, Hagrid, MacGonagall and Snape) and possibly more on the staff already. If they were to add another member from the Order to the staff to teach, I would have to go with Tonks. As much as I love the character, she would seem to be more of a liability in the field than a help, whereas Kingsley Shackelbolt seems to be incredibly cool and collected. I think he would be an awesome instructor, but I'm not sure it would happen.

Now for the really way out there choice...Narcissa Malfoy. I have no real justification for this, it just came to mind. We've go to know Lucius and Draco, but not Narcissa. What if she actually turned out to be okay? If she were introduced into the books, everyone would assume that she was a Death Eater from the word go, but apart from Harry's assumption that Draco's Mom was part of the Death Eater crowd at the World Cup, we have no other proof of that. If she were a DE, it's slightly suspicious that she wasn't mentioned by Lord Voldemort on the night of his return. I know I'm going off on a tangent here, but what is she never really saw her husband for what he really was? Think about how Sirius talked about his own family and how they weren't quite willing to go the distance that the DEs were. Maybe Narcissa had the same mentality. Anyway, if she were to be made the DADA professor, it might be cool. You know, kind of a reverse Moody. You start with a character you think is bad and wind up realizing that she might not be perfect, but she's not the vile person her husband is.

JDR237
August 3rd, 2004, 4:07 am
Krum is a Good idea for the job, but I really think well see someone new just b/c of the pattern of introducing new characters through this position. And...I really think Snape cursed the job so that it comesopen every year until he gets it. (just a theory I have)

fubby
August 3rd, 2004, 9:00 am
I really don't know but so far I've noticed a pattern of sorts. It's too small to actually be able to judge if it repeats or not but first year we had Quirrel. I classify the pattern in 3 groups, Evil, Git, Proficient. Quirrel is definetely evil. Next comes Git which Lockheart most definetely is. Next is Proficient definetely Lupin. Now comees the complicated part does the pattern repeat? Well I'd definetely say Moody aka Barty Crouch was definetely Evil. Next in pattern is Git. I'd definetely say that Umbridge was a git, she was also kinda evil but she wasn't Voldemort follower evil. So the pattern still fits. If all things continue as they should in book 6 the teacher should be Proficient. In other words someone who really knows what they are doing and do a good job of teaching. I have no idea if this means that they have to be pleasant too... Still working that one out. But as some of you might have already figured out this means that Evil is in store for the DADA position in the final book. Who knows if this pattern is true it's just my observations.

Trisha
August 3rd, 2004, 9:59 am
I like the Evil... Git... Proficient pattern. I also agree that Snape is foreshadowed for this year's DADA, since he has boasted that only top O.W.L. scores will be allowed into his advanced Potions classes. And Harry has to take Potions to be an Auror, so....

So we have the Harry/Snape smackdown over who is the better DADA teacher.

And we have a new Potions teacher (I still think one of the Weasley twins would be awesome! Imagine, trying the latest sweetshop invention on a room full of guinea pigs -- er, students.)

As for the DADA Curse, Dumbledore will probably die (gasp!) leaving Snape with no one to protect him from Voltemort and the Death Eaters, so he decamps under mysterious circumstances. But he will show up again in time for the final battle of Book 7.

filius
August 3rd, 2004, 10:07 am
I think its going to be Karkaroff. Or perhaps Victor Krum? That would bring back the Hermione/Ron fight...
First of all, KarKaroff is on the run from Voldemort. I don't think he will dare to come back or even be mentioned in the future books.

Krum does not have the proper qualifications. Durmstrang students learnt mostly the darks arts and not defense.
(I know you will say that Hagrid got his job without the proper qualifications but I don't think Care of Magical creatures is a very mportant subject compared to Defense Agaginst the Dark Arts.)
Krum, also, is famous. More so than Lockhart. Everyone would be too busy admiring him etc...

I agree with Jinxie Cat that the DADA teacher will be somone we have never heard of until book 6.

one2escape
August 3rd, 2004, 10:09 am
I think it will be either Fleur or her boyfriend forgot his name

filius
August 3rd, 2004, 10:11 am
I think it will be either Fleur or her boyfriend forgot his name
I didn't know Fleur had a boyfriend. Unless oyu are reffering to Bill Weasley. She is part Veela. Do you think the guys will be paying attention to the class or her? Also, how do you know she specialises in DADA. Diffent people are better at different branches of magic.

Classical_Wizar
August 3rd, 2004, 10:12 am
I think it will be either Fleur or her boyfriend forgot his nameAre you talking about Bill weasley? I think that both are young to be teachers for the Defense of the Dark Arts and beside Fleur wasnt that great when she was doing the triwizard tournament. Neither was Krum for the matter. Of course Lockhart wasnt the world greatest teacher either so who knows but i think we will be seeing someone new.

one2escape
August 3rd, 2004, 12:54 pm
that was th rumours for the last book

Nymph
August 3rd, 2004, 2:13 pm
I am so beting on Snape, really ! (This is going to be so funny)
I think it would be Snape because :
- he so want the job
- nobody wants the job
- there will be a new potion teacher so Harry can take potion even if he didn't get outstanding

It would be really great to see Snape torn apart between wanted Harry to be the best ever student in dark arts so he can defete Voldy and wanted harry to be as humiliated and bad at DADA as possible.

The only little problem is that it would not be a great thing to stay undercover (/ voldy)

Lord Nicholai
August 3rd, 2004, 2:46 pm
The snape theory seems to fit quite well...which is a major shame because it means potential death, resignation, memory modification, entrapment in small (yet oddly quite large) containers or attacked by herding Centaurs...which potentially means a snapeless book 7. So im hoping Snape remains the potions master for book 6, and a new character comes in. Hopefully Harry will fluke potions or DD will intervene...potion brewing/knowledge of potions might be valuable for his fight against voldemort afterall... DD will force Snape to accept Harry if Snape remains the potions master IMO

Fool
August 3rd, 2004, 3:11 pm
Well hypothetically if Snape does become the defense against the dark arts teacher, maybe his 'out' (which should be different from the previous teachers as no two have shared the same fate) will be the giant mystery surrounding Dumbledore's reasoning for never giving him the job in the first place.

Lord Nicholai
August 3rd, 2004, 3:15 pm
i was using the other "outs" as examples...basically saying he'll vanish after book 6 if he does become the DADA teacher

Scarlet Tears
August 3rd, 2004, 7:21 pm
I'm guessing that it will be a completely new character to go along with the tradition in previous books. The Defense Against the Dark Arts job has always been a way for Rowling to introduce a new character into the story, and it makes Harry's time at Hogwarts far more interesting when there is someone we haven't really met before teaching. I doubt that Snape will get the job in the next book, but it is a possibility in the seventh one. Tonks has trained to be an Auror, and so she will probably stick to that for now. Dumbledore is the headmaster, and I doubt that anyone has ever been the headmaster while teaching at the same time. He is also busy with the Order and needs to keep an eye on running the school, so he doesn't really have time to grade papers and such.

As for what the new teacher will be like, I think that the pattern of "evil, git, proficient" is interesting, and so it is likely that the next one will be proficient. I also noticed a pattern in what happens to each teacher that relates to the pattern of personalities: the evil teachers (Quirrell and Crouch) are left for dead or worse than dead, and the gits (Lockhart and Umbridge) end up going insane. Lupin, who was the only proficient teacher so far, resigned, so perhaps the next teacher will also leave on their own.

Of course, Rowling could always choose to stray completely from the patterns that she has established so far, but I think that it is safe to assume that she will stick with at least one of them in Book 6.

x alohomora x
August 3rd, 2004, 8:27 pm
I think the new DADA teacher might be Viktor Krum, I mean since Hermione was writing to him in the 5th book so JK is keeping him in the plot... and in Durmstrang he learned the Dark Arts and stuff, since that's what they focus on. I think it's very possible, but I dunno.

Fool
August 3rd, 2004, 8:32 pm
Maybe Lockhart will come back to teach. He won't remember what happened to every DADA teacher so he won't be afraid of applying. :)

Xtina Tares
August 3rd, 2004, 11:55 pm
I think that Krum may be a good choice, now that he's out of school, and Karakoff is probably in hiding after knowing about Voldemort arising.

hufflepina
August 4th, 2004, 12:46 am
why not Andromeda Tonks

bethp
August 4th, 2004, 1:52 am
My vote is for Tonks...she would get along well with the students, has auror training and it would mean having more protection around Hogwarts...now the the MoM is aware of LVs return, maybe they would even assign an auror to the school - so if not Tonks maybe Kensington?

I think Krum is too young and doesn't really have the training PLUS he's probably off somewhere playing pro quidditch (my hopes is that he's gone for good).

PS - I could also see Lupin coming back if DD could talk him into it now that umbridge is no doubt out of office I bet someone can repell the Werewolf law.

Lanc
August 4th, 2004, 2:03 am
I don't believe it will be Snape. Nobody has given a reason that persuades me that Dumbledore would change his mind over making Snape DADA teacher. In the past, Dumbledore has apparently decided that having no teacher is better than Snape being the teacher. That's why the Ministry was able to foist Umbridge on him. What has happened to make him change his mind? The most common reason I've seen given is so Harry can take NEWT Potions, but this doesn't work for me. Is Harry taking Potions and becoming an Auror really enough reason for Dumbledore to change his mind? If it is, why is it? To me, that would seem like Dumbledore is sacrificing the other students DADA lessons (remember, to Dumbledore nobody is literally better than Snape) so that Harry can pursue his goal. This seems doesn't seem to me something Dumbledore would do. It's much likelier to me that Dumbledore will persuade Snape to take all students that get Exceeds Expectations on their Potions OWL than that he gives him the DADA job. If it's not so that Harry can do Potions, what is it that's changed Dumbledore's mind?

I'm more inclined to believe that it will be a new character, and if it's not I really don't have a clue, though I quite like the idea of it being Andromeda Tonks or the Auror Dawlish.

SupFiggy
August 4th, 2004, 8:34 am
Yes Tonks would be nice, but then I really would like to know the Potions master, perhaps someone from Saint Mungo's that we met? I'm not sure enough to name names, I don't have the book right now

EvilRaven
August 4th, 2004, 12:17 pm
I hope its remus again... but somehow I know its all a dream.

Kingsley?

Although it would be good if we have a good female teacher again.

viktorija_hp
August 4th, 2004, 6:41 pm
Honestly, it would be time for Snape to finnaly become a DADA teacher. I don't like him very much, but, since the first book, he wanted that job and it is just a matter of time when he'll get it (or, exactly, he has only two books left). Who could else be interested?

GodricHollow
August 4th, 2004, 6:55 pm
New DADA Teacher? Well, I would say either Harry or Dumbledore, but they don't seem likley, maybe Amos'll do it for Cedric?

percivalwulfric
August 4th, 2004, 10:26 pm
I think snape will finally wangle his way through dumbledore as it it is in the open that he is back, and as Severus used to be in the ineer circle (or whatever he was) so he will know where his powers are strongest and know what sorts of powers that the death eaters use, so he could teach the students a lot of things, but that brings another thing to mind, in one of the books i think gof in the pensive he sees someone being in the courts, and they say that they never new who the other death eaters were and there were lots so maybe voldmort made sure that the deathe eaters didnt know that many of thier own kind, so that if one did betray them they could not give away all of their secrets, that is just one small idea i have, Bah Humbug!

Gwenog Jones
August 4th, 2004, 11:19 pm
I believe that the DADA teacher in Book 6 will be Snape. Here are my reasons:

-Snape is obviously skilled in the Dark Arts. Even though it was said that teaching DADA would bring out the worst in Snape, maybe that is what the students really need. They need someone to show them what is actually out there, what dealing with Voldemort is actually like. Who would be better than Snape to teach this? No other teacher, besides Dumbledore, really knows what it is like.
-Snape only takes students who got an O into his NEWT Potions class. The possibility of Harry getting an O in Potions is kind of slim. If he wants to be an auror, though, he needs to take Potions. Well, if Snape becomes the DADA teacher, than there would be a new Potions teacher. This teacher may be more lenient when deciding who can take NEWT Potions. Therefore, Harry will have a better chance in getting into the NEWT Potions class.

Rosebudkg13
August 5th, 2004, 12:03 am
Ok: these are just random thoughts. I don't even know if they have a chance. I saw from some site that there was a rumor that Fleur might become the new teacher sense she has to be good a DADA sense she was in the Triwizard thing. I have no clue though! I really liked Lupin!It would also be cool, if somebody unexpexted, like someone from The Order of the Pheonix would do it. Just some random thoughts! :blush:

dementorskiss
August 5th, 2004, 12:11 am
Rowling said something about how we'll find out why DD won't let Snape teach DADA later on, so I don't think it would be him. Krum is out because Hermione told Harry that Krum said that Harry could do stuff he (Krum) couldn't (wow, that rambled on). Fluer's already got a job at Gringotts, and she didn't seem that great at DADA so...

But I do agree that the next teacher will be proficient, didn't Rowling say that Harry would be even more powerful in this one... he'd need a proper teacher to do so. When Harry taught the DA, he didn't improve his own power as much as he improved his friends.

Gwenog Jones
August 5th, 2004, 4:36 am
Rowling said something about how we'll find out why DD won't let Snape teach DADA later on, so I don't think it would be him.
Rowling said that Snape teaching DADA would bring out the worst in him, which is definitely a good reason not to give him the job. However, I still feel like Snape would be the best man for the job. (See my post above)

dementorskiss
August 5th, 2004, 4:57 am
Thanks Gwenog! I guess I just haven't been paying that much attention to what was said!

nextsuperhero
August 5th, 2004, 5:16 am
I think snape will get the job in the 7th year. it seems like the studenst should get a good DADA after Umbridge. or else there would be reason to start up the DA again, wchich I don't think is going to happen.

antigone
August 5th, 2004, 5:19 am
i dont think snape will be the next dada teacher. one point is that we havent yet found out why dumbledore will not appoint snape into this position. another is that if he is the next dada teacher it will be like lots of you have already said - he will probably die or something will happen to him. the tradition of a new dada teacher will probably last until the end of the books - with snape finally being able to teach dada in harrys seventh year or perhaps after they have all left school. maybe dumbledore knew that harry would be great at dada and didnt want him held back by snape being rude and traumatizing him during class. i mean harry probably wouldn't do so bad in potions if he didnt have snape breathing down his neck. well i dont really know about that theory - i could just keep rambling. but my point is snape probably wont be dada teacher next year - which i think is good. i want him to stick around!

nextsuperhero
August 5th, 2004, 5:30 am
if Dumbledore was going to make Snape DADA teacher wouldn't he have done so before he let the ministry appoint umbridge? that was a last resort. snape probably isn't too happy because it makes it seem like dumbledor Really doesn't want him as the teacher. (for good reason I might add.)

Xtina Tares
August 5th, 2004, 5:56 am
I really want one of the Weasley brothers to come in and teach, probably Charlie, because he wasn't as fully described as much as Bill.

LS fan aSoUE
August 5th, 2004, 6:10 am
i'm not sure who but it will be someone good because: now that voldy is deffenently back(in the public's eye) there will be a rush of people trying to find saftey at hogwarts and so far that is the only open position.

_rud_
August 5th, 2004, 6:29 am
I think it will be Snape for 2 reasons.
1. DD can't find anyone else.
2. Harry will continue potions.

IheartLupin12
August 5th, 2004, 7:02 am
It would make sense to me if Harry were to continue potions, Snape would remain as the professor. That way...there really isnt a need to move his position and keep him in the story, as one of Harry's professors...which I think JK needs to do.

Polaris
August 9th, 2004, 4:57 am
I'm going to go with the pattern set out in the previous books and say it will be somebody totally new. Now that the Ministry will be forced to admit that Voldemort is back there will be more witches and wizards who will be prepared to help. I'm not saying there'll be loads mind you, some will be terrified, especially those who remeber what it was like before. But there will be those willing to help.

ReMeMbErMe
August 9th, 2004, 5:33 am
undefinedundefined i dont think it will be snape b/c dumbledore has no reason to appoint him the job now when he has not for so many years... i also think possible that dumbledore wont give it to him b/c i could be part of his agreemant w/ the ministry not to do dark arts and being the teach he would have to(i kno its a little out there)

i think it could be krum or possible tonks :tu:

yarddog1
August 9th, 2004, 5:45 am
At first i thought that there was no way Snape would become the DADA teacher however now I think there is a chance he will get the job. One like it said in the 5th book they weren't able to find a new one so there is now always Snape. Also as i have shown on the old DADA teacher thread the pattern. with 1.evil 2.incompitant 3.friend and/or OotP member 4.evil 5.incompitant etc. However if he does get the job i am now thinking that he will die at the end of book 6.

lewis8604
August 9th, 2004, 5:46 am
I agree with the snape theories for a couple of reeasons.
1. Harry will need potions and i think he will get an E in potions. Then there will be a different teacher that will take E's. For those who think DD wouldn't do this just for harry i think you are mistaken. Remember how he said in OoTP that it didn't matter how many innocent lives were affected as long as Harry was happy.
2. If snape is the best potions master DD has seen then think of his abilities in DADA. This has been his goal and to me he would have spent most of his time in DADA and potions second. He may be the best potions master but i think he is better in DADA so bc of recent events(LV being back and second war) he will be appointed.
3. I don't think ths will affect his work for the order bc i think that he is not really the one who is undercover or he is but keeps on even though LV knows bc there is another DE undercover and he doesnot want there cover to be blown. So if someone finds out like malfoy he will just have to quit going. I mean Karkahoff said that not everyone knew all of the DEs except LV, so some people may not even knoe the DE who is actually undercover.
4. I think the knew potions master will be somebody who surpasses Snape's abilities Maybe DD, he found out many different things, and he could help harry in potions where snape has filled. Also since alot of fights and arguments between th slytherins and Gryffindors happen in potions it owuls make sense to have the headmaster watch it. Also if snape was teaching potions again with the Slytherins and Gryffindors together then harry might not make it out.
5. This is just a random question where was snape in DoM battle in OoTP. was he doing something for the order or for DEs??? Thsi could lead to DDs reasons for not hiring him for it yet.

I don't think it wil be Krum or Fleur. Harry knew more in DADA than krum and he was leaving. Who would be able to help harry learn more when he is better than his professor. Fleur couldn't even handle a grindylaw come on harry learned that in year 3

IheartLupin12
August 9th, 2004, 6:10 am
1. Harry will need potions and i think he will get an E in potions
Harry needs to apply himself to potions more, he shouldnt need a different teacher to achieve in the class. Just because Snape doesnt like him, doesnt mean he shouldnt be able to do well..look at Hermione, she undoubtedly does extremely well in the class and Snape dislikes her just as much as Harry. Potions seems a lot like chemistry...and believe me last year I had the strictest, most awful chem professor ever...its such a cut and dry subject, you either get it right or you dont. Also--McGonagle did say she would help Harry as much as she needed to help him get the auror job, I'm sure the staff at Hogwarts will find some loopholes to help him around snape if at all possible:) Harry really does need to pay better attention to what hes doing in class...he will find himself having a much easier time with snape if he does well! Theres really nothing Snape will be able to say if he does his work and its correct.
I just really doubt Snape will be the next dada teacher, if he even gets the job at all. Though there really is a reason DD hasnt let him have the job, he would probably be very qualified! If Im wrong you can call me on it when HBP comes out:)(whenever that will be:()
5. This is just a random question where was snape in DoM battle in OoTP. was he doing something for the order or for DEs??? Thsi could lead to DDs reasons for not hiring him for it yet.
I dont think we know where he was exactly...my guess is it was best for him to stay out of there because if hes working for the order(and it works the other way around as well) then he doesnt really want to be seen fighting against DE's if hes working as a double agent, I really want to find out what he's been doing this whole time for the order!

Honeyeyez
August 9th, 2004, 12:31 pm
i think the new dada teacher is going to be the half blood prince...but at the same time i realised that the title of the book somehow puts him in danger.. so somehow the half blood prince is gonna put him in danger or try n help him, or i dunno but somehow affect him in a bad way. so there is a chance that he will be the new dada teacher because jk rowling said in book 6 there in war so for war to occur u need war from inside and outside to defeat ur enemy.
i dunno just my opinion or its gonna be someone we know coz i dont see the point in adding new characters. but no one knows except jk rowling.
but then how could a half blood prince be the enemy his half blooded.. anywayz im not gonna think about it coz theres no point in arguing over things we dont know or trying to debate on it

Till
August 9th, 2004, 1:28 pm
At first i thought that there was no way Snape would become the DADA teacher however now I think there is a chance he will get the job. One like it said in the 5th book they weren't able to find a new one so there is now always Snape. Also as i have shown on the old DADA teacher thread the pattern. with 1.evil 2.incompitant 3.friend and/or OotP member 4.evil 5.incompitant etc. However if he does get the job i am now thinking that he will die at the end of book 6.

I'd make number 5 Incompitant AND evil, though not on Voldie´s side. but I get you point.

I don´t think Snape will get the job because Dubledore seems to have a pretty good reason not to give him the job.

I agree with the snape theories for a couple of reeasons.
1. Harry will need potions and i think he will get an E in potions. Then there will be a different teacher that will take E's. For those who think DD wouldn't do this just for harry i think you are mistaken. Remember how he said in OoTP that it didn't matter how many innocent lives were affected as long as Harry was happy.

He didn´t say it that way. He said he had made the mistake of caring to much
about Harry that he couldn´t care about the innocent lives that might be affected in the future, he didn´t say that that was was wright.

Harry needs to apply himself to potions more, he shouldnt need a different teacher to achieve in the class. Just because Snape doesnt like him, doesnt mean he shouldnt be able to do well..look at Hermione, she undoubtedly does extremely well in the class and Snape dislikes her just as much as Harry.

O no he doesnt. Snape would never give him a fair mark, not even if he would do better than Hermione.

filius
August 9th, 2004, 1:32 pm
The whole school knows that Snape desperately wants the DADA teacher position so of course Dumbledore must know too. I agree that Dumbledore has some reason not to trust Snape. :wow:
Dumbledore is very capable of teaching DADA. He is the only one who Voldemort fears. Now that Voldemort is back, who else better to teach DADA?

Lord Nicholai
August 9th, 2004, 1:59 pm
DD cant teach DADA whilst hes headmaster.

Im not so sure its not because he doesnt trust snape, he just knows that snape wouldnt be at his best in that position.

Classical_Wizar
August 9th, 2004, 2:10 pm
I still think it would be an auror, someone that we haven’t seen before or was briefly mention who would be the next Dark Art teacher. Snape i think will be one just not this year, who knows maybe another female? Tonks could give us comedy but i dont think she would be it either.

filius
August 9th, 2004, 2:12 pm
Dumbledore will feel it fit to prepare the students against Dumbledore. He's the best person to teach them at the school. However, it could be a few of the Order members as well. Maybe there will be more than one teacher? It would definetely help the students prepare themselves. it may not be Dumbledore or Snape but I think it might be someone from the Order. But Dumbledore still seems the best choice because the the only one Voldemort ever feared!

Snape_Fan
August 9th, 2004, 2:51 pm
hey maybe we could see the real mad eye teaching like he was suposed to.

Zelkiiro
August 9th, 2004, 2:55 pm
People could speculate on this topic for days and never find out until Book 6 comes out...which means...this topic could be fun...

- Snape
- Tonks
- Lupin
- Moody
- Kingsley Shacklebolt
- Professor Binns!!

MooJuice72
August 9th, 2004, 3:18 pm
Anyway, feel free to contribute who you think the next DADA teacher will be.

What about Firenze?If Dumbledore is back, won't he put Trelawney back in her Divination job and being that Firenze can't go back to the forest - they need to do something with him...my other thought was maybe the Half Blood PRince is the new DADA teacher....I also have to agree with the few posts I have read, I think Snape will get the postion in the 7th book.

Kazza
August 9th, 2004, 3:25 pm
Probably follow tradition and be someone completely new.

Lord Nicholai
August 9th, 2004, 3:29 pm
but it wont follow tradition forever. we know that book 7 will have no new characters, so the DADA will be someone we know. The same could happen for 6

Kazza
August 9th, 2004, 3:31 pm
Er...? How do you know there will be no new characters?

Snape_Fan
August 9th, 2004, 3:36 pm
that woud be cool if tonks was it.snape'l get it in the 7th,you know it just when harry really needs a good dada it will be snape.maybe theyll come to a agree ment and stop the fighting.but if that happens who will be potions,maybe thats where firenze comes back into the pic, he couldnt be dada caus centars dont have wands or ever go to school so how would he teach what he doesnt know?

Kazza
August 9th, 2004, 3:44 pm
that woud be cool if tonks was it.snape'l get it in the 7th,you know it just when harry really needs a good dada it will be snape.maybe theyll come to a agree ment and stop the fighting.but if that happens who will be potions,maybe thats where firenze comes back into the pic, he couldnt be dada caus centars dont have wands or ever go to school so how would he teach what he doesnt know?

Some great points there! I don't think Tonks will get the job, but that would rule! But everything else you said, I agree with!

ronw516
August 9th, 2004, 3:54 pm
I dont think that it will be Snape...if he was ever going to get the job he would of definetely gotten it last year when they had Umbridge. Dumbledore would of rather had Snape then Umbridge if he thought that he was going to be a good DADA teacher...so obviously that counts him out. Anyhow then they would have to find a new potions teacher.
As for Dumbledore I had never really thought about it and it would be a good idea because now that they know for sure that Voldemorts out in the open (they meaning the rest of the wizarding community), the students are going to need to be taught a lot more. However I dont think that he will be the person because he has too much other stuff that will be going on and it would just add to his workload...
I think that it will either be someone newly introduced to the series or it will be an entirely new person....we'll see tho.

Snape_Fan
August 9th, 2004, 4:06 pm
but dumbledore didnt appoint umbrige.fuge did.dumbledore didnt have a chace to get anny teacher,i think he will give it to snape becaus even at school when he was young he was very advanced in the dark arts, harry and his fellow mates need to know very advanced magic caus voldemorts back and i thk that dumbledore knows he can trust snape

ronw516
August 9th, 2004, 4:08 pm
Fudge appointed Umbridge because Dumbledore couldnt find a teacher...that's correct but obviously if Snape wants this job so much and Dumbledore wanted him to have it then he would of appointed him and thus that would of left no reason for Fudge to appoint Umbridge.

Snape_Fan
August 9th, 2004, 4:08 pm
hey DD might give harry extra private dada lessons becaus he has to defeat voldemort?but i think the main teacher for the whole school will be some one whos definatly in the order someone DD can trust

Classical_Wizar
August 9th, 2004, 4:13 pm
no reason for Fudge to appoint Umbridge.dumbledore might have been out of a potion teachers. Imagine if Umbridge taught potions <shivers> but then Potions might have been easier to fill then the cursed Dark Arts.

Kazza
August 9th, 2004, 4:16 pm
How cool would it be if Dumbledore taught DADA?!?! :D

Tim the Wiz
August 9th, 2004, 4:18 pm
Snape for DADA Professor!

Nah, seriously I'm sure Dumbledore will want someone competent and practical being the DADA now that Lord Voldemort is running around, and I'm sure the Ministry will stop its previous nosieness in Hogwarts matters (Hem hem, Umbridge). So I think we can count on maybe someone from the Order helping. I would automatically rule out aurors, as they have more important matters (Lord Voldemort and the Death Eaters), plus McGonagall and others who won't be teaching anytime soon.

Well all I can really see is: Snape or Lupin. Since Dumbledore hasn't given Snape the job before as he easily could have, well I'll go with Lupin.

I really could see it happening, after all the Patronus spell he taught Harry was advanced, McGonagall seemed to have a good opinion of him (Careers Advice; Book 5) and Dumbledore of course puts alot of trust in him (as he is a member of the Order of the Phoenix). Plus now that Dumbledore is looked upon so highly again by the public and the Ministry (now that Fudge will be gone) I'm sure he could get away with it.

Most likely: Lupin.

Runner up: Snape.

Of course this is all speculation. :D

lewis8604
August 9th, 2004, 5:37 pm
I think the reason dd didn't let snape teach DADA in book five even though Umbridge is coming was because he couldn't find a potions master as well. He was blackballed from other teachers since he was telling the truth about LV. DADA is something the kids took in their own hands and i think dd could've seen that coming, but potions would have been a lot harder to take in their own hands, especially with all of the ingredients and such.

If snape doesn't get it i think it will beeither the real moody since they are in six year and now they are allowed to do more stuff than before. My other choice is Deledus Diggle(sp?) he was mentioned briefly in book 6 and recieved outstanding on all of his NEWTs who else to help harry prepare to become an auror than an actual auror.

Snape_Fan
August 9th, 2004, 6:59 pm
totally agree with ya lewis, but dedulus diggle is a little out there

iluvhhr
August 9th, 2004, 7:08 pm
I really think it's going to be Snape. I actually hope it is. But it would be great to see Lupin again.

Lavender Brown
August 9th, 2004, 7:14 pm
I don't think it will be Snape until book seven, it will be a kind of reward for him surviving until then (if he does indeed survive). I think that in book six, JKR will follow her previous pattern and it will be someone totally new.

katiekake
August 9th, 2004, 7:16 pm
I think that book 6 will definitely follow the patterns set out in prior books. It will be a teacher who we have not been introduced to before, and Harry will meet them before he gets to Hogwarts. I also like the Evil, Git, Proficient pattern that Fubby put forth. I really hope that it will be someone who is proficient this year, especially since a war has started.

Snape_Fan
August 9th, 2004, 7:47 pm
yes i can see a new teacher this year maybe,dd could put snape as dada and get a new potions pro. to help harry he would be able to get higher marks in the class,but still get good marks in dada which he is really good at.he could also prove to snape that hes extremly good at something and that might help with there constant fighting.if this would happen which it is likely not going to,it would be a great win win for harry, he would have a lot better chance of being a auror then too,dd is sometimes crazy so there is a 10% chance that it could happen and hopefullly it does!

Acheeko
August 9th, 2004, 8:23 pm
I think it might be someone from the Order, but not Snape.

demiguise 4
August 9th, 2004, 8:48 pm

Arthur Weasley isnt gonna be the new minister for magic it says so on JKR's site.
I hope the new DADA prfessor is snape or at least he should be in book 7 in not in book 6

Snape_Fan
August 9th, 2004, 9:24 pm
i totally agree with that

eMMy_026
August 9th, 2004, 10:22 pm
im thinking that the new dada teacher will be someone that we know...i think it would be odd if jk did the exact same thing as always..introduced us to a new character for the dada position

xharrypotterx
August 9th, 2004, 10:47 pm
im thinking that the new dada teacher will be someone that we know...i think it would be odd if jk did the exact same thing as always..introduced us to a new character for the dada position

Disregarding the tradition of introducing a new character for each new book would in itself be odd. Thats why its a tradition. Going against the grain that has already been put into the previous five books would be out of the ordinary. I dont really see any reason to not bring in a new character, besides the fact that maybe some may think that there are already too many characters.

I think that Lupin for the new DADA would be pointless. Although bringing Lupin back would be the best cenario (apart from introducing someone new), I think that to bring him back would be too redundant. We have already been there before. JKR doesn't seem like the type to be redundant in this manor. Plus, I think that Lupin wouldn't take the job in the first place. He said so himself in PoA, that he felt he was a danger to himself and others (because of his lycanthropy) and that the parents of the students would never allow it.

Originally Posted by Tim the wiz:
Nah, seriously I'm sure Dumbledore will want someone competent and practical being the DADA now that Lord Voldemort is running around, and I'm sure the Ministry will stop its previous nosieness in Hogwarts matters (Hem hem, Umbridge). So I think we can count on maybe someone from the Order helping. I would automatically rule out aurors, as they have more important matters (Lord Voldemort and the Death Eaters), plus McGonagall and others who won't be teaching anytime soon.

I agree. Especially the bit about the aurors. They have more important matters at hand than teaching little kids rudimentary DADA. So I think that leaves out Tonks or Kingsley as the new DADA teacher. As for someone in the order helping...I can't see who else would be qualified (as I have already ruled out Lupin in my opinion) except that we dont really know all of the members of the Order, bringing back up the possibility of a new character for the post of DADA teacher.

Gwenog Jones
August 12th, 2004, 12:28 am
I agree. Especially the bit about the aurors. They have more important matters at hand than teaching little kids rudimentary DADA.
I agree, xharrypotterx. I don't think the teacher will be an auror. They didn't train for 3 years to teach underage wizards.

I still think it is going to be Snape :)

Thorofasgard13
August 12th, 2004, 3:04 am
I can't imagine it being Tonks or Moody, or many other people in the Order, they will have their hands full already, trying to find Voldemort, etc...
The only thing I can think of happening is Snape, or a completely new character getting the job!

Everyone keeps saying that It will be snape because the other people are in the Order and will have their hands full. but snape is a key member for the order also......I believe it will be Tonks.

Gwenog Jones
August 12th, 2004, 3:59 am
Everyone keeps saying that It will be snape because the other people are in the Order and will have their hands full. but snape is a key member for the order also......I believe it will be Tonks.
Tonks is an Auror, though. Her job is to deal with catching dark wizards and such. Now that everyone knows Voldemort is back, Tonks and the other Aurors will have to devote their time to catching the Death Eaters and finding Voldemort.

Xtina Tares
August 12th, 2004, 4:09 am
I have absolutely no idea who it will be, but I really don't think it will be Tonks. Whenever it seems we have a close perception on who JKR will choose to be it, she always has a different person for the role. I think it will be someone unknown, or a less-talked-up character.

xharrypotterx
August 12th, 2004, 9:01 pm
Originally Posted by Xtina Tares:
I have absolutely no idea who it will be, but I really don't think it will be Tonks. Whenever it seems we have a close perception on who JKR will choose to be it, she always has a different person for the role. I think it will be someone unknown, or a less-talked-up character.

Highlight a character from the shadows? Sounds very JKR. She did the same thing with Sirius, and Dedulus Diggle (although he wasn't a very important character...yet). Both of them were mentioned very briefly in the first book, but they both play roles in the later books. I wouldn't be at all suprised if she put some obscure 'one-liner' in to the position for DADA.

Lord Nicholai
August 12th, 2004, 9:12 pm
youve said it now. you'll have people going through the books with a metaphorical fine tooth comb looking for characters mentioned only once :p

I definatly think it'll be someone we havnt seen before. Someone out of the blue like all of the other DADA teachers.

talulah
August 13th, 2004, 3:22 am
I heard there are two possibilites for the position. The first being Lupin's brother. True he doesn't have a twin like many think, but that doesn't mean he does not have a brother. The second possibility is Quirrel's brother. And just yesterday I read that Tonks may be the new prof.

atherella
August 13th, 2004, 4:58 pm
I heard there are two possibilites for the position. The first being Lupin's brother. True he doesn't have a twin like many think, but that doesn't mean he does not have a brother. The second possibility is Quirrel's brother. And just yesterday I read that Tonks may be the new prof.

Where did you get this information? If it's from something online, be very hesitant to believe anything that you don't hear directly from JKR's mouth. (ie - interviews, etc)

filius
August 13th, 2004, 5:09 pm
There is no infiormation at all that Lupin and Quirrel have sibling. You should post some canon evidence. Quirrel has not been mentioned in the books since books 1. He was meant only for that book. If Lupin had a brother, we would have heared about him because we now know that Sirius has a brother. So if Lupun had a brother, it would have been revealed by now. I don't think Snape would like it either. How do we know that Lupin's/Quirrel's brother is an expert at DADA? I think the best candidate is Tonks because, now Harry has an editional pair of eyes watching over him. Tonks, we all know, is an Auror fo of course she knows all about DADA. She would be able to protect the students from attacks of Voldemort and his DEs if thry plan to do so.

C8H10N4O2
August 13th, 2004, 5:21 pm
How about the guy for whom Harry DADA OWL exam? Or one of the other's for that matter? They would have to be experts.

I personally don't see an auror doing the job as they are needed elsewhere. Except maybe Tonks who would probably be "allowed" to do it because she is so clumsy. Or is she??????? ;)

bethp
August 13th, 2004, 6:17 pm
My thoughts are:

1. If Dumbledore didn't give Snape the DADA position in OotP he NEVER will - I mean DD knew that not finding someone to fill the post would mean someone Fudge would appoint and I think he would try to stop that at all costs.

2. The DADA professor is going to have to be good - now that LV has returned and everyone knows, they are going to want their children to learn as much DADA as possible. I think Moody or Lupin could be perfect choices...poor Moody never even got to teach! and he is a retired Auror so only active in the Order not the ministry. Lupin is a favorite among the students - everyone liked him, and I will bet much to the dismay of some there would be support like there was for Hagrid. BUT talking Lupin into it would be a problem.

Lupin would also be good to have as it would give Harry a close adult he could confide in again and would help him deal with Sirius's death.

Seven
August 13th, 2004, 6:55 pm
I don't think Lupin will come back to teaching. The parents have to trust him, not that I don't, and the minstery will have someting to do with it but not as before. I hope it will be a new character.

turtlekeri
August 13th, 2004, 7:02 pm
Ok I am going to go out on a limb here. I think it will be someone we have met in a previous book, but know nothing about. JKR is getting pretty far along in the series to put in a new character so I really think it is someone we have already read about. That will be the surprise, because it won't be what everyone is expecting. I don't think Snape is going to be the new DADA teacher because he is so good at potions and Harry and Snape need to work out their problems on their own, it would be perfect for them to fix their problems while doing potions. They are on the same side now and need to act like it. Also, I really think it could be someone from the Order that we haven't seen that much. They have to be good at some DADA to be in the the Order, so why not one of them???? It would make some sence. :huh: Makes you think huh?

michaela
August 13th, 2004, 7:09 pm
Maybe someone from the Order, but I disagree that it is too late to bring in new characters, especially someone who will start teaching DADA as you would hear a lot about this character anyway. There were lots of new characters introduced in OoTP, so why not have new ones in HBP?

koetje
August 13th, 2004, 7:18 pm
I don't now what you think but I think that harry did a pretty fine job with the DA :blush: But one the other hand he's pretty young so It could be lupin or moody. Did umbrige lose her job pfffmprobably because dumbledore wantet her out of the castle well don't know :blush: :blush: :blush:

Kingsley
August 13th, 2004, 7:19 pm
I think Victor Krum will get the job
1-He is well versed in the dark arts
2-He'll like to be around Hermyown,hence the chances increase of his accepting the job
3-He is a good wizard,shown by how he had used the more complicated charms in his triwizard tasks
4-for promotion of International magical co-operation

I dont think DD is gonna take the job ,what with the return of Voldemort and his headmaster duties,I dont think he'll get enough time

michaela
August 13th, 2004, 7:27 pm
Apart from Krum being famous, and probably missing out on a good Quidditch career. Also would half the students be able to understand what he says?

xharrypotterx
August 13th, 2004, 9:57 pm
Originally Posted by Michaela:
Apart from Krum being famous, and probably missing out on a good Quidditch career. Also would half the students be able to understand what he says?

Haha :D very true. I don't think that Krum will be the new DADA. I just don't see any valid points for it. The only thing I can think of is the fact that he went to Durmstang and was taught the Dark Arts there. But he would only be like 18 or 19 wouldn't he? Surley he would not be qualilfied for the job at that young of an age. Especially if Dumbledore would check his credentials and what-not.

Originally Posted by Kingsley:
I think Victor Krum will get the job
1-He is well versed in the dark arts
2-He'll like to be around Hermyown,hence the chances increase of his accepting the job
3-He is a good wizard,shown by how he had used the more complicated charms in his triwizard tasks
4-for promotion of International magical co-operation

I dont think DD is gonna take the job ,what with the return of Voldemort and his headmaster duties,I dont think he'll get enough time

Well, I don't think that it is a matter of Krum excepting the DADA job or not. I think that it is more of whether or not he will be asked to teach or not. Go to Mugglenet (http://www.mugglenet.com/book6/index.shtml)'s page about book six. JKR has a quote about whether or not any countries will be in the later books. She says no, and that "its a British school after all." Although, I think she is refering to any new students coming to Hogwarts. I'll have to check that.

londonknight
August 14th, 2004, 12:11 am
I think she was talking about students, because I think questions were asked whether the other wizarding schools would "hide" their students at Hogwarts to make them safe.

esmerelda
August 14th, 2004, 10:28 am
I really don't think Lupin will be teaching at Hogwarts again. I would love Snape to be the DADA teacher, except for one thing - that teacher only ever lasts one year, for various reasons, and I want Snape around for the final book! Hopefully it won't be one of the aurors (I hate Tonks!), but I fear it might be.

Tim the Wiz
August 14th, 2004, 3:08 pm
Hmmm, so if Snape takes the DADA job he'll be there for only one year. I'll keep that as a mental note while reading through Book Six. :D

rocketbball08
August 14th, 2004, 5:05 pm
Hear me out...I think if it was Snape who go the DADA job, it would not be such a bad thing, would it? I mean he's seen things the other teachers wouldn't even be able to dream of.
So he would be the best person for the job. But for a Potions Master, I just don't know.

michaela
August 14th, 2004, 5:12 pm
I don't think Snape will be a DADA professor next year. I think there must be an important reason why Dumbledore has not let him have this job in past years, and I don't think Dumbledore will change his mind, I mean look at the trouble he has had finding a decent DADA professor, and he still hasn't given Snape the job. It would be great if Lupin came back, but I think we are forgetting the whole werewolf problems and the reactions some parents would have to Lupin teaching.

Mad Bludger
August 14th, 2004, 7:20 pm
It's a reach, but how about Harry himself?

Hard to argue he wasn't succesful teaching DA last year as a bunch of students managed to hold off several Death Eaters.

He also has PLENTY of experience with what he's done so far in the first five books.

Finally, it would give the Slytherins, and Snape especially, even more reason to hate him.

xharrypotterx
August 14th, 2004, 8:42 pm
Originally Posted by Mad Bludger:
It's a reach, but how about Harry himself?

Hard to argue he wasn't succesful teaching DA last year as a bunch of students managed to hold off several Death Eaters.

He also has PLENTY of experience with what he's done so far in the first five books.

Finally, it would give the Slytherins, and Snape especially, even more reason to hate him

That would be cool, except your forgeting one thing: Harry is still in school. Surley Harry couldnt teach a class and work in the class at the same time. He would assign the work and then do the work...he would already know the answers...I don't think that Harry could be the DADA professor....at least while he is at school. I won't be so bold as to suggest that he will never be a DADA professor, he is quite talented.

As for Snape being the DADA in book 6, I think Michaela said it best:

I don't think Snape will be a DADA professor next year. I think there must be an important reason why Dumbledore has not let him have this job in past years, and I don't think Dumbledore will change his mind, I mean look at the trouble he has had finding a decent DADA professor, and he still hasn't given Snape the job. It would be great if Lupin came back, but I think we are forgetting the whole werewolf problems and the reactions some parents would have to Lupin teaching.

Mad Bludger
August 14th, 2004, 9:23 pm
That would be cool, except your forgeting one thing: Harry is still in school. Surley Harry couldnt teach a class and work in the class at the same time. He would assign the work and then do the work...he would already know the answers...I don't think that Harry could be the DADA professor....at least while he is at school.

If these were "normal" times I'd be inclined to agree with you, however.......

The wizard world is at war, and needs an effective teacher, Harry is one of two effective teachers we've seen to date in this area. (Although I'd guess you could argue that the fake Moody was pretty effective.)

Furtermore, there are outside examiners at the end of the year, or at least there were for OWLS.

It's still a long shot, but it could happen.

michaela
August 14th, 2004, 9:46 pm
I really doubt Dumbledore would allow Harry to teach at Hogwarts when his still at school himself. Harry would have more things to deal with and learn in DADA, then teach others.

LuvHP_001
August 14th, 2004, 10:07 pm
I think that Trewlawney will be back as the Divination teacher and Firenze would be the new DADA because Dumbledore knows that Firenze can't go back to the forest because the Centaurs hate him and will provide a home for him in Hogwarts, it's a possibility,right?

Also i agree with those people who said it might HBP prince.

DracoLuver389
August 14th, 2004, 10:13 pm
Honestly, I have to agree with the people who said Tonks and also who said a character we don't know about... :tu:

londonknight
August 14th, 2004, 10:35 pm
I really doubt Dumbledore would allow Harry to teach at Hogwarts when his still at school himself. Harry would have more things to deal with and learn in DADA, then teach others.

The thing we have to remember is that Harry was just doing practical DADA with the DA. He does't know the theory anyway, something that is required for a real teacher. And teachers already know the material, not learn it as they go. And how could 6th year Harry be teaching 7th years in their NEWT year.

The DADA teacher teaches all years, and with courses, Harry would need a dozen time turners to do that as well as take classes.

Evelien19
August 14th, 2004, 10:38 pm
I think that JK Rowling will introduce a new character for the DADA teacher in book six. However, I think that she will finally let Snape have his dream job in book seven.

SiruisSarah
August 14th, 2004, 10:52 pm
I agree with the fact that Snape will probably get his chance in the last book, if not sooner, but I also wonder if Dumbledore's reason for trusting Snape is why he won't let Snape have the job he really wants? I think it would be really cool if Harry got the job, but at the same time, it's probably highly unlikely! Whoever the new teacher is, I just hope that they are better than Umbridge. I also hope that if they aren't, or if they are, Harry keeps up the DA meetings, I have a feeling his friends will need them, VERY, VERY soon. I also hope that J.K. Rowling hurries up and writes the book because I really want to read it so I can stop guessing at what is/isn't going to happen!

Ranador
August 14th, 2004, 11:05 pm
I'd love to see Dumbledore as the DADA teacher, but I don't expect it at all. He's been very busy in all the previous books and now with this war he'll be even moreso.

I think it's more likely that Snape will get it finally. That or Lupin will come back.

lewis8604
August 15th, 2004, 5:36 am
Snape is my choice although he and harry are going to ave even more heated arguments. Harry likes DADA and he is good at it and he knows this so everytime that snape insults his ability it is something he will not take and that is why I think it will bring out the worst in Snape because although he is probably very good at DADA and can teach it ver well he will be very tough and mean. Like he said in PoA that he would have ony given 3/10 to someone who got an 8/10
The real moody is a good possibility because now they are in year six and can deal with a lot of stuff. In GoF it said that moody was only teaching one year, but that was the fake moody. So maybe the real moody never meant that. He is one of the best aurors ever and really knows his stuff so he would do well.

My next guess is Deladus Diggle. I think there is a reason he was mentioned in OoTP and he probably wants to redeem himself to DD for not beliving him and believing Fudge. He got excelent on all of his NEWTs and that definately menas DADA since he is an auror. For those who say the aurors are needed, umm harry is the only one who can kill LV for good so shouldn't he get the person who will help him the best

groikleflit
August 15th, 2004, 12:10 pm
The DADA teacher could be Kingsley Shacklebolt or the mysterious Professor Icicle... :huh:

Classical_Wizar
August 15th, 2004, 12:17 pm
i think it's going to be the new McLagan character, going with how the others were introduced to us.

Lord Nicholai
August 15th, 2004, 12:43 pm
agreed...i wonder how much he has to do with the HBP?

xharrypotterx
August 15th, 2004, 5:53 pm
wait who was this McLagan character? I don't remember him. Was he in OotP?

AlbusDumbled0re
August 15th, 2004, 6:39 pm
Aberforth Dumbledore should be the new DADA teacher. :tu:

atherella
August 15th, 2004, 8:20 pm
wait who was this McLagan character? I don't remember him. Was he in OotP?

It's a name that JKR mentioned was "too good not to use" at the Edinberg book festival. Check out JKR Edinburgh Book Festival News SPOILER WARNING!! (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=32680) thread for more info on what else she said. Great new stuff to chew on while we keep waiting for the next book. :)

Aquaria
August 15th, 2004, 8:26 pm
Do you think DD would rather have a member of the OotP as the new DADA teacher or would he rather prefer them to be out and about saving people, looking for signs of Voldemort and his followers?

I'd love to see Tonks being the DADA teacher, showing up with a different face each day, confusing her students and teachim the "constant vigilance".
Mad Eye Moody would love that.

BT_Shadow89
August 15th, 2004, 9:25 pm
No, I don't think that Dumbledore would give the position of Defense Against the Dark Arts to a member of the Order now. You're right, I think they're too busy with the Voldy situation.

Love the idea of Tonks being DADA, but then again, she's a member of the Order. :tu:

ragga
August 15th, 2004, 9:26 pm
I think its possable that he would have a member of the order working as a teacher, as remember we dont actualy know if a replacement will be for DADA or for an other lesson, Snape may get his job hes always wanted...

But if he had an other order member its extra protection isnt it, though many of them may have their own jobs to keep at and he does have mcgonagal and snape...

DuFF
August 15th, 2004, 9:31 pm
Before you guys start making theories about how McClaggan (see transcript: http://www.jkrowling.com/textonly/news_view.cfm?id=80) might be the next DADA teacher, take close note of this:

I found the name McClaggan the other day, which I think is a great name. There is a McClaggan in book six because I thought that it is a surname that is too good to waste.

If she found it "the other day" and shes halfway through HBP, do you honestly believe he will be the next DADA teacher? Just wanted to make sure you guys got the facts before you go jumping at conclusions.