Significance of Harry's green eyes? v2

Pages : [1] 2

PhoenixUK
July 30th, 2004, 10:53 pm
Version 1 of this thread is here (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=5125).

Why does J.K. Rowling constantly bring up the fact that Harry has his mother's eyes. In an interview she said it was of significance. I wonder how.
Please continue your discussion here, thanks!

autumn_ashes
July 30th, 2004, 11:08 pm
Maybe it gives him a special advantage against Voldemort, other than just her love. Kind of like how when Voldemort tried to kill Harry it passed some his powers to him. Maybe the same thing happened when his mom saved him.

Loony Black
July 31st, 2004, 12:35 am
or maybe he has green eyes because he hasn't blue eyes

hehe..i'm just kiddin'

I don't know, that's one of the rowling's most important secrets

LowKi
July 31st, 2004, 12:38 am
People say the eyes are the window to the soul (or i hope they do,or I just looked silly). Harry has his mothers love in his soul,which is what keeps him protected, I always assumed it was something like that,could turn out to be something more literal though,but still linked to that idea.

Ana-Magus
July 31st, 2004, 12:50 am
I think Harry hears that alot because he keeps meeting new people who knew his mom. I mean, people who have said this to Harry once don't keep saying it to him over and over again. "Hi Harry, it's good to see you again. Oh, by the way - did I tell you that have your mother's eyes." :D

I think it's significant because Harry never knew his parents, he's an orphan. It's conforting to know where you came from and to know that you have the same traits as your parents. It makes him more grounded.

I can't imagine a huge significance.... it's hereditary. If she makes some sort of 'magical connection' - I would see it as a stretch....

Darkillness
July 31st, 2004, 1:17 am
Maybe Lily's eyes represent her strong will and Harry inherited it. (I'm in a corny mood. :p ) Harry's able to fight the Imperius Curse and whenever they mention anyone fighting it they always mention the eyes. "Watch his eyes..."

vorathiel
August 6th, 2004, 2:05 pm
well perhaps he looks so much like his father that seing his green eyes reminds people of the sweet and brave lily who gave her life to protect her son.

harry is a lot like his father but in his eyes o guess you can see lily, so maybe thats whats so important!!!

Nephel
August 6th, 2004, 2:06 pm
well perhaps he looks so much like his father that seing his green eyes reminds people of the sweet and brave lily who gave her life to protect her son.

harry is a lot like his father but in his eyes o guess you can see lily, so maybe thats whats so important!!!

Yeah, his eye's are the only part of him that remind him that he is not his father, something which he despised during the 'Snape's worst memory' chapter in OotP.

angel spirit
August 6th, 2004, 2:13 pm

But do many people know that Lily died to save her son? Hagrid said that the wizarding population never knew how Harry did it. It was a great mystery.

Eventually Dumbledore finally told Harry about his theory that he was protected by his mother's love. I assumed though that no one else knew about it except those who Harry and Dumbledore told(such as Lupin, Sirius, etc.) and of course Voldemort and his Deatheaters. Just nitpicking...

Well he had to have some physical feature of his mother's to show that both parents were really his. What's odd to me is that Harry is a complete carbon copy of James. Almost no one looks exactly like one parent with a simple thing different like eye color.

ComicBookWorm
August 6th, 2004, 2:28 pm
But do many people know that Lily died to save her son? Hagrid said that the wizarding population never knew how Harry did it. It was a great mystery.

Eventually Dumbledore finally told Harry about his theory that he was protected by his mother's love. I assumed though that no one else knew about it except those who Harry and Dumbledore told(such as Lupin, Sirius, etc.) and of course Voldemort and his Deatheaters. Just nitpicking...

Well he had to have some physical feature of his mother's to show that both parents were really his. What's odd to me is that Harry is a complete carbon copy of James. Almost no one looks exactly like one parent with a simple thing different like eye color.
I look just my father except I have my mother's eyes and eye color (which is exactly Harry's situation). My daughter looks just like her father, and she even has his eyes, but she has my eye color. So it's not that unusual.

I think that the green eyes will link Lily and Harry to Godric Gryffindor. He could find a picture of Gryffindor with the exact same green eyes. That will be why her eyes are significant, and that will be the big thing we are supposed to learn about her.

Dedalus Diggle
August 6th, 2004, 2:52 pm
The resemblance to James and Lily may be nothing more than saying "Yes, he is Lily's and James's son. Definitely. No adoption theories, no substitutions - their kid." Given the spculative thorizing that goes on, often without a shred of evidence, that is important.

Comicbookworm may also be right, that the unusually green eyes suggest a connection with some great wizard of the past, maybe GG (as goos a guess as any, better than most - I mean, who would care if he was related to Wendelin the Weird :D)

There is also the possibility that the eyes are more than just an identifying characteristic. Two possibilties have come up in that regard - that Lily's sacrifice imprinted him in a way that left his eyes with her mark. Or that the unusually bright green eyes are integral to a power which Lily had and which Harry acquired as well, perhaps one which combines with either James's talents (since Harry was suppsoed to be born with the Power to defeat the Dark lord) or what was transferred from Voldemort to be like Liliy's eye-related power but much greater in either strength or scope.

And of course, the only one that is inconsistent with the others is the 'imprint' theory, since that suggests a change after birth, which would negate the links and/or powers from birth (or at least the proof of them). Therefore I lean toward a combination of all three of the rest - the green eyes show he is Lily's boy, that he is related to someone great in the past, and his eyes are connected to a power which will be greater in him than it was in his ancestors.

Lord Nicholai
August 6th, 2004, 2:55 pm
The Green eyes give him a definite link to his mother...i think something about his mother will be important, and the link will pass this important something over to Harry

Scarlet Tears
August 6th, 2004, 8:02 pm
I always thought it was ironic that Harry has green eyes, which is a color associated with Slytherin, while Voldemort has red eyes, one of the colors that represents Gryffindor. If you look at this fact as applied to light rays and physics, it means that Harry's eyes reflect green light and absorb all other colors, and Voldemort's reflect red while absorbing all other colors. Then of course, green and red are on opposite sides of the color wheel, so it makes sense that the two would be enemies.

However, I'm inclined to believe, like many others have stated, that the color of his eyes is less significant than the fact that his eyes resemble his mother's. As LowKi mentioned, a person's eyes are often described as "windows to the soul," so even though Harry's physical features are like his father's, his soul is more like that of his mother.

Nagisa
August 6th, 2004, 11:12 pm
Here's a wild theory -- just want to throw it out and see what people think.

We all know Lily was Muggle-born -- no wizards in her ancestry. But what if she wasn't quite human -- what if she had some kind of magical creature a few generations back in the family tree?

Fleur Delacour inherited her grandmother Veela's silvery hair and powers of attraction. Hagrid got something of his mother's enormous size, and her resistance to magic. What if Harry's eyes and his powers link him with something a few generations back, something that skipped Petunia but hit Lily, and which Lily passed on to her son?

Are there any magical creatures mentioned as having "bright green eyes"?

saiber
August 6th, 2004, 11:29 pm
Are there any magical creatures mentioned as having "bright green eyes"?

Well...Dobby has green eyes. *lol*

Dedalus Diggle
August 6th, 2004, 11:31 pm
Maybe that's it - Harry has been very loyal, as would a house elf. And maybe that's where Petunia gets her ability to keep the house unnaturally clean

PrtVeela
August 6th, 2004, 11:46 pm
Here's some fun information about the color green and symobloism:
Green:
Nature, environment, healthy, good luck, renewal, youth, vigor, spring, generosity, fertility, jealousy, inexperience, envy, misfortune.

Green in Culture(s):

China - studies indicate this is not a good color choice for packaging, green hats mean a man's wife is cheating on him.
France - studies indicate this is not a good color choice for packaging.
India - the color of Islam.
Ireland - religious significance (Catholic).
Some tropical countries - associated with danger
United States - indicates go (safe) at traffic lights, environmental awareness, St. Patrick's Day, Christmas color (red and green).

According to Henry Dreyfus, green, midori is regarded as the color of eternal life, as seen in evergreens which never change their color from season to season. In the word midori, both trees and vegetation are implied. One characteristic of Japanese culture can be found in the fusion of life and nature .http://www.three-musketeers.net/mike/colors.html#green

Now this does not answer the question about the significance of Harry's eye color, but it is intresting to see possibly the implications of the color green.

Nagisa
August 6th, 2004, 11:58 pm

Oh, great -- now I'm imagining bad Star Wars scenes :lol:

"Harry -- Mr. Harry Potter, sir -- I am your father..."

Hedwig50
August 7th, 2004, 1:50 am
Here's a wild theory -- just want to throw it out and see what people think.

We all know Lily was Muggle-born -- no wizards in her ancestry. But what if she wasn't quite human -- what if she had some kind of magical creature a few generations back in the family tree?

I believe by JKR's recent posting, it mentions that Lilys parents were wizards but her grandparents were muggles. (or that could have been the other way around.

I believe by JKR's recent posting, it mentions that Lilys parents were wizards but her grandparents were muggles. (or that could have been the other way around.

Portus
August 7th, 2004, 1:51 am
Well they are Harry's link to his mother, who JK has said will be very important :)

ComicBookWorm
August 7th, 2004, 2:10 am
The resemblance to James and Lily may be nothing more than saying "Yes, he is Lily's and James's son. Definitely. No adoption theories, no substitutions - their kid." Given the spculative thorizing that goes on, often without a shred of evidence, that is important.

Comicbookworm may also be right, that the unusually green eyes suggest a connection with some great wizard of the past, maybe GG (as goos a guess as any, better than most - I mean, who would care if he was related to Wendelin the Weird :D)

There is also the possibility that the eyes are more than just an identifying characteristic. Two possibilties have come up in that regard - that Lily's sacrifice imprinted him in a way that left his eyes with her mark. Or that the unusually bright green eyes are integral to a power which Lily had and which Harry acquired as well, perhaps one which combines with either James's talents (since Harry was suppsoed to be born with the Power to defeat the Dark lord) or what was transferred from Voldemort to be like Liliy's eye-related power but much greater in either strength or scope.

And of course, the only one that is inconsistent with the others is the 'imprint' theory, since that suggests a change after birth, which would negate the links and/or powers from birth (or at least the proof of them). Therefore I lean toward a combination of all three of the rest - the green eyes show he is Lily's boy, that he is related to someone great in the past, and his eyes are connected to a power which will be greater in him than it was in his ancestors.
I'm sort of with you on the inheritance of a power. I've long held the wild theory that Harry's inherited power from Gryffindor might have been resistance to unforgivable curses--and that is the power the dark lord knows not.

whizbang121
August 7th, 2004, 2:13 am
He sure felt the Crutatius.

Dedalus Diggle
August 7th, 2004, 2:18 am
I'm sort of with you on the inheritance of a power. I've long held the wild theory that Harry's inherited power from Gryffindor might have been resistance to unforgivable curses--and that is the power the dark lord knows not.
There's a whole range of possibilities - anyone who wants to know my suggestion can read my story The War Within (if they have a day or two :lol:) Yours makes a lot of sense, too. It seems though like it would have to be more than just resistance. Hagrid shrugged off stunners in OOTP but they didn't bounce back and zap the aurors. Harry would have to be like a mirror to the AK. Also we know he can be placed under Imperius, though he's good at shaking it off, and he very definitely feels the cruciatus ( or do you think he felt that less than others would? that would seem to go with your theory.)

ComicBookWorm
August 7th, 2004, 2:20 am
There's a whole range of possibilities - anyone who wants to know my suggestion can read my story The War Within (if they have a day or two :lol:) Yours makes a lot of sense, too. It seems though like it would have to be more than just resistance. Hagrid shrugged off stunners in OOTP but they didn't bounce back and zap the aurors. Harry would have to be like a mirror to the AK. Also we know he can be placed under Imperius, though he's good at shaking it off, and he very definitely feels the cruciatus ( or do you think he felt that less than others would? that would seem to go with your theory.)
I don't think he is invulnerable like Superman or something. But maybe less affected.

whizbang121
August 7th, 2004, 2:20 am
Harry would have to be like a mirror to the AK. :huh:

Say that again?

(Ignore the smoke coming out of the monitor. It's my brain frying.)

Dedalus Diggle
August 7th, 2004, 3:09 am
:huh:

Say that again?

(Ignore the smoke coming out of the monitor. It's my brain frying.)
The AK supposedly rebounded off baby Harry and zapped Voldemort. Just like if you point a laser directly at a mirror, the beam would bounce back. So Harry's body acted like a mirror to the AK curse, either because of his unique power that the Dark lord knows not or because of Lily's protection.

Of course, it may be that the AK did not bounce back, but that in casting the curse, Voldemort had to invest so much of himself that when Harry was able to resist it, Voldie was drained of life force or something - the Vapormort changeling theory.

Then there's the Fab Four theory, by which baby Harry was singing "All you need is love" when the AK was cast and the purity of essence of the music destroyed Voldemort. After all, Dumbledore says music is one of the most powerful forms of magic, or something like that. It's a good thing baby Harry wasn't singing 'Baby got back.' - instead of a lightning bolt scar he would have ended up with a bottom the size of Grawp.

Scarlet Tears
August 7th, 2004, 5:51 am
The AK supposedly rebounded off baby Harry and zapped Voldemort. Just like if you point a laser directly at a mirror, the beam would bounce back. So Harry's body acted like a mirror to the AK curse, either because of his unique power that the Dark lord knows not or because of Lily's protection.

That is an interesting way of putting it. Perhaps it was not his body but his eyes that reflected the curse. Harry has green eyes, which, as I stated before, appear green because they reflect the green color wavelengths while absorbing all other colors. We know from Harry's memory of when his parents died that he saw a flash of green light. It could be that Harry's green eyes somehow reflected the green light of the curse onto Voldemort, though I doubt it was that simple. Otherwise, everyone with green eyes would be able to survive!

Yet somehow the combination of Lily's love and the fact that they shared the same green eyes, along with the idea that his eyes reflect green light could explain why the curse rebounded onto Voldemort.

Love the Fab Four theory! And the "Baby Got Back" :lol:

dumbleedore
August 7th, 2004, 6:36 am

The way JK always manages to put how much Harry looks like James, but with Lily's eyes, into every conversation makes me think along the same lines sometimes- that it's just so that we know that Harry is Lily and James's son.

However, does she need to bring up his eyes as much as she does? And the way it's always 'your mother's eyes'. Wording with JK plays a major role in her meanings and I can't help but wonder if perhaps the key to solving this could be in the wording...

stupiddeer
August 7th, 2004, 8:13 pm
why does harry need glasses, does he need them 'cause his father or had crappy eyes or because he got hit in the face with AK and that's why the scar is on his head. that would be cool if harry's eyes were from some magic animal or something, riddick style

DragonBlk17
August 7th, 2004, 8:15 pm
why does harry need glasses, does he need them 'cause his father or had crappy eyes or because he got hit in the face with AK and that's why the scar is on his head. that would be cool if harry's eyes were from some magic animal or something, riddick style

I think Harry need's glasses because of Jame's. But maybe his eyesight went bad because of the Avada Kedavra curse. Harry's eyes might have something to do with moving things with his eyes. Like when he was at the zoo and he made the glass dissapear.

WhoAmI
August 9th, 2004, 5:28 am

Eventually Dumbledore finally told Harry about his theory that he was protected by his mother's love. I assumed though that no one else knew about it except those who Harry and Dumbledore told(such as Lupin, Sirius, etc.) and of course Voldemort and his Deatheaters. Just nitpicking...Well, since this is only Dumbledore's theory on how Harry survived, maybe Lily did do some sort of wandless magic with her eyes. And maybe Harry inherited this ability from her, which is why it is emphasized that he has his mother's eyes. Because I would guess he has his father's eyesight since they both wear glasses.

offca
August 9th, 2004, 3:47 pm
I put it first on layers, but I guess this thread is much better. I've read just a couple of pages of this thread, please forgive if this point was already disscussed.

just finished CoS... and was wondering on something. just look:

he saw a solid wall ahead on which two entwinted serpents were carved, their eyes set with great, glinting emeralds

casting long black shadows through the odd, greenish gloom that filled the place.

The enormous serpent, bright, poisonous green, thick as an oak...

why Harry has eyes like serpents? why connected to Slytherin, while LV's eyes are red like Gryfindor? Even about Tom Riddle we have:

There was an odd red gleam in his hungry eyes

the Avada kedavra is also "emerald green".

maybe the skill of parselthoung wasn't from LV? what if Harry had it from birth? he could open the Chamber -what if he realy is the Heir - maybe we have two heirs of Slytherin? for thousand years a lot of wizards could be.

I guess the subject of "green" in snakes and eyes, was disscussed before, so if was - ignore this post ;-) but just wanted to share with my thinking.

Snape_Fan
August 9th, 2004, 4:01 pm
could lily do anything difernt from other wizards.like haveing green eyes help do something??

rjade829
August 9th, 2004, 4:28 pm
maybe the skill of parselthoung wasn't from LV? what if Harry had it from birth? he could open the Chamber -what if he realy is the Heir - maybe we have two heirs of Slytherin? for thousand years a lot of wizards could be.

I guess the subject of "green" in snakes and eyes, was disscussed before, so if was - ignore this post ;-) but just wanted to share with my thinking.

Well, JKR said on her website that Harry is NOT the heir of Slytherin. So we can all stop worrying about that :)

But maybe Lily was a parselmouth? Whoa. But I don't think so...people would've known, wouldn't they? Plus, green eyes like the serpents in the chamber doesn't necessarily mean you're a parselmouth, since Riddle was obviously one and he didn't have green eyes.

I don't have any good theories on this subject really. All I can think of is that Harry has Lily's green eyes, the avada kedavra is green, it was Lily who saved Harry from death, so maybe Harry has some sort of power he can do with his eyes that will save him?

stupiddeer
August 9th, 2004, 4:35 pm
it would be funny if his eyes had no significance though and they were just something he inherited from lily, in the movie harry potter's eyes look blue

offca
August 9th, 2004, 4:56 pm
Well, JKR said on her website that Harry is NOT the heir of Slytherin. So we can all stop worrying about that :)

oh, thanks - feel much better now :)

But maybe Lily was a parselmouth? Whoa. But I don't think so...people would've known, wouldn't they? Plus, green eyes like the serpents in the chamber doesn't necessarily mean you're a parselmouth, since Riddle was obviously one and he didn't have green eyes.

how people would have known about that? if harry didn't say = Ron and Hermione wouldn know nothing!
I do not mean that the color must mean you are a parselthoung, but - why Harry has so much in common with serpents? even the ones on opening - why not yellow like Basilisk's?

what colour are Riddles's eyes?

tantrix
August 9th, 2004, 5:39 pm
They were never mentioned, but in the movie Riddle was played by a dark-eyed actor

Libertine
August 9th, 2004, 6:07 pm
isn't green a slytherin color? i know he couldn't have red or gold eyes, but he could have ANY color eyes, but jkr gave him bright, sparkling green, which is closely identified with slytherin

HarryPotter
August 9th, 2004, 7:04 pm
In the province of Galicia, Spain they have a popular song that goes "green eyes are traitors, blue eyes are liars, and brown eyes are truthful and honest"

They also say that traditionally green is the colour of hope, but also of envy...

tantrix
August 9th, 2004, 7:16 pm
In the province of Galicia, Spain they have a popular song that goes "green eyes are traitors, blue eyes are liars, and brown eyes are truthful and honest"

They also say that traditionally green is the colour of hope, but also of envy...
interesting.. so harry potter = darth vader

stupiddeer
August 9th, 2004, 7:48 pm
that's wierd if you think about it in star wars luke skywalker had a green lightsaber and darth vader a red one and in HP, harry has green eyes and voldemort has red ones

MooJuice72
August 9th, 2004, 8:20 pm
I was thinking (which made ths moke alarms go off, hahaha) anyway- if his green eyes link him to Godric - maybe that is important - maybe Godric had some sort of magic that no one else but his descendants have- maybe that's the thing that will defeat Voldemort - maybe there is some sort of love spell that only Harry (Godric, Lily) could/can do- so maybe she is setting up to signify his green eyes are inherited from his Mom, and maybe we will find out she is a Gryffindor descendant...I think people tell Harry that he has his Mother's eyes to help him feel closer to his parents (they mean nothing more by it)- but in JKR's mind - it could signify's more to the story aspect.

WhoAmI
August 9th, 2004, 9:08 pm
how people would have known about that? if harry didn't say = Ron and Hermione wouldn know nothing!Yeah, if Lily had never been confronted by a snake, she might not know if she could speak Parseltongue either.

Anyway, back to the topic of all that green...
I guess the subject of "green" in snakes and eyes, was disscussed before, so if was - ignore this post ;-) but just wanted to share with my thinking.I think the point of all those mentions of the color green in the Chamber probably referred to green being a Slytherin color to emphasize that it is Salazar Slytherin's chamber, not necessarily that it's the same as Harry's eyes. Not sure it means anything, but not sure it doesn't mean anything!

stupiddeer
August 10th, 2004, 7:31 pm
godric gryfindor probably had some kind of power, slytherin was a parseltongue, each founder probably had something

LS fan aSoUE
August 10th, 2004, 7:33 pm
not likely but slytherin's symbol is green

offca
August 10th, 2004, 7:48 pm
is there anyone who has some knowledge on meaning of stones? I was just wondering if rubins and emeralds were chosen because of red and green, or red and green became colours of Gryff. and Slythering because of these stones?
do Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff have "their" stones?

EDIT: I found some horoscope of Maya - but I do not know how reliable it is. anyway - it says that people born 12 of July to 31st of July are in the sign of emerald.
It says, that emerald people are dynamic, very keen to help others, reliable. it happens sometimest they take too much on their shoulders, they are active in many ideas and things, but sometimes they getting born before the end.

and more:
Emeralds are made of the base mineral beryl, with minute traces of chromium and vanadium giving this gemstone the "green fire".
The mining of Emeralds has been dated back to more than 3,000 years ago, during the time of the Ancient Egyptian Empire.
The "green fire" was so mesmerizing and highly valued in the courts of Europe that the Spanish Conquistadors went on a bloody campaign to find the location of the emerald mines in South America. In 1557, the campaign finally ended with the discovery of the spectacular Muzo and Chivor mines in present day Colombia - still the world's major source.
Strengthens heart for abundance, growth, peace, harmony, patience, love, fidelity, honesty. Lifts depression, insomnia. Knowingness of the heart, peaceful dreams. Breathing, heart, lymph nodes, blood, thymus, pancreas (blood sugar rebalance), labor/delivery, eyesight, and etheric field. Excellent general healer. Ancient blood detoxifier and antipoison.

Ruby:Historically, many believed that mystical powers lie within this intensely colored red gemstone. When inserted beneath the skin, the ancient Burmese believed that the stone generates a mystical force, which protects the wearer from accidents and attack. In the ancient world, many believed rubies to contain prophetic powers, enabling wearers to predict their future based on the color changes of their gemstones. The ancient Hindus enchanted by the color of rubies considered them to be "Ratnaraj" or the "King of Precious Stones".
This stone is for love. It helps one to open one's heart. Warms, energizes after exhaustion. Strengthens physical and emotional heart , love, courage, confidence, vitality, stamina, strength, leadership, success over challenges. Intensifies all emotions (passion, jealousy, impatience, love...) Attempted use for pressure/control (for love, etc) backfires onto user. Used for infections, cholesterol, clots, blood detox (alcohol, caffeine, etc), sexual blocks. Stimulates circulation, menses, pituitary.
[from: http://www.sfheart.com/stones_2.html#Emerald]

I found also, that Ruby is a stone of Mars, and Emerald fo Venus and Saturn.

I would more feel like Slytherin is under Mars... but who knows...
so what realy mean that Mars is so brighty? (don't remember exact wording - centaurs said so) maybe it means that Godrics times are coming?

sorry for little bit off topic. but it all comes from harry's emerald eyes...

starlette01350
August 12th, 2004, 4:59 am
is there anyone who has some knowledge on meaning of stones? I was just wondering if rubins and emeralds were chosen because of red and green, or red and green became colours of Gryff. and Slythering because of these stones?
do Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff have "their" stones?

EDIT: I found some horoscope of Maya - but I do not know how reliable it is. anyway - it says that people born 12 of July to 31st of July are in the sign of emerald.
It says, that emerald people are dynamic, very keen to help others, reliable. it happens sometimest they take too much on their shoulders, they are active in many ideas and things, but sometimes they getting born before the end.

and more:
Emeralds are made of the base mineral beryl, with minute traces of chromium and vanadium giving this gemstone the "green fire".
The mining of Emeralds has been dated back to more than 3,000 years ago, during the time of the Ancient Egyptian Empire.
The "green fire" was so mesmerizing and highly valued in the courts of Europe that the Spanish Conquistadors went on a bloody campaign to find the location of the emerald mines in South America. In 1557, the campaign finally ended with the discovery of the spectacular Muzo and Chivor mines in present day Colombia - still the world's major source.
Strengthens heart for abundance, growth, peace, harmony, patience, love, fidelity, honesty. Lifts depression, insomnia. Knowingness of the heart, peaceful dreams. Breathing, heart, lymph nodes, blood, thymus, pancreas (blood sugar rebalance), labor/delivery, eyesight, and etheric field. Excellent general healer. Ancient blood detoxifier and antipoison.

Ruby:Historically, many believed that mystical powers lie within this intensely colored red gemstone. When inserted beneath the skin, the ancient Burmese believed that the stone generates a mystical force, which protects the wearer from accidents and attack. In the ancient world, many believed rubies to contain prophetic powers, enabling wearers to predict their future based on the color changes of their gemstones. The ancient Hindus enchanted by the color of rubies considered them to be "Ratnaraj" or the "King of Precious Stones".
This stone is for love. It helps one to open one's heart. Warms, energizes after exhaustion. Strengthens physical and emotional heart , love, courage, confidence, vitality, stamina, strength, leadership, success over challenges. Intensifies all emotions (passion, jealousy, impatience, love...) Attempted use for pressure/control (for love, etc) backfires onto user. Used for infections, cholesterol, clots, blood detox (alcohol, caffeine, etc), sexual blocks. Stimulates circulation, menses, pituitary.
[from: http://www.sfheart.com/stones_2.html#Emerald]

I found also, that Ruby is a stone of Mars, and Emerald fo Venus and Saturn.

I would more feel like Slytherin is under Mars... but who knows...
so what realy mean that Mars is so brighty? (don't remember exact wording - centaurs said so) maybe it means that Godrics times are coming?

sorry for little bit off topic. but it all comes from harry's emerald eyes...

Excellent research! What an interesting find! It seems so funny that Voldemort has red eyes while the ruby 'helps one open his heart.' The emerald also protects against poison and is a healer, so maybe that's part of Lily's power. Also, during his divination final, didn't Harry mix-up Mars and Venus? I can't remember off the top of my head.

Great post, Offca!

stupiddeer
August 12th, 2004, 7:43 pm
that thing about ruby's protecting people from accidents could be like voldemort protected from death or the red scar on harry's head protecting him

Soronics
August 12th, 2004, 8:06 pm
http://jm.g.free.fr/smileys/smiley_abzw.gif
*laught herself half death* I've seen a picture, where Daniel Radcliffe had green eyes, that's looked funny XDD I'll look for it, when I found, I show it here. :cool:

ComicBookWorm
August 13th, 2004, 5:18 am

JKR said that Harry wasn't Slytherin's heir on her website. I think that Voldemort's eyes are red because humans never have red eyes--usually we picture demons with red eyes. I think Harry's and Lily's eyes are green because it is a rare and distinctive eye color, and it will tie them to Godric Gryffindor. When Harry looked into the mirror of Erised and saw a lot of green-eyed relatives (all from Lily's side). This probably means that it is common trait in the Evan's family. This will be the big thing we learn about Lily.

Elf
August 13th, 2004, 6:57 am
original post by rjade829

Okay, that would almost be funny if Lily was a Parseltongue. I can just see her hissing menacingly at James in Snape's Worst Memory, rather than yelling at him. Maybe James would have listened to her then! :lol:

original post by offca
This stone is for love. It helps one to open one's heart. Warms, energizes after exhaustion. Strengthens physical and emotional heart , love, courage, confidence, vitality, stamina, strength, leadership, success over challenges.

Wow, in light of the fact that Godric Gryffindor's sword was encrusted with rubies, these characteristics of the ruby are very interesting! Many of the traits represented by the ruby directly reflect the traits of people housed in Gryffindor: courage, strength, stamina, success over challenges all sound very Gryffindorish.

It's intersting too that the ruby supposedly helps to open one's heart. There is much specualtion over whether or not Harry will have to forgive Voldemort in the end in order to defeat him. While I'm not overly sure about this theory, rubies being symbollic of Gryffindor might be meaningful in that scenario, by somehow giving Harry the ability to open his heart. Sounds kind of fluffy to me, but who knows?

Perhaps the eye colours of Harry and Voldemort being opposite from their house colours is symbollic of the transfer of power/essence that took place between them. When Voldemort zapped Harry with the AK, Harry received some of the Dark Lord's power. Similarly, when Harry's blood was used to regenerate Voldemort's body, the Dark Lord now has part of Harry in him. Maybe the eyes are symbollic of this exchange. Harry's green eyes represent having some of Voldemort in him and Voldemort's green eyes are symbollic of having some of Harry in him. This may be stating the obvious however and it doesn't account for Harry having Lily's eyes.

I'm kind of partial to the idea I heard someone suggest that one day Harry will find a portrait of Godric Gryffindor at Hogwarts and will recognize that he has Godric's eyes and that he is decended from Gryffindor on Lily's side. But that's just me. :)

Rackon
August 13th, 2004, 7:12 am
Even if JKR hadn't told us that Harry's having Lilly's eyes would prove important, we'd know it anyway from the numerous times characters say "you have your mother's eyes, Harry."

The theory that Harry's bright green eyes signify a special magical power inherited from Lilly, a power tracing back to GG, a power that will be key in HBP and/or #7 seems plausible, even likely. It was my first thought...and apparenly many others have entertained it as well. So far so good...but what power?

After seeing PoA, I couldn't help thinking about the eyes thing again. Bear with me - I know the films aren't canon. But JKR did say Cuaron foreshadowed several key events from future books in PoA.

I'm thinking of the scene with Lupin and Harry on the bridge, when Lupin tells Harry he recognized him immediately, not from his scar, but because of Harry's striking resemblance to his parents. After the obligatory "you have your mother's eyes" bit, Lupin muses touchingly about Lilly, about her kindness and how she saw things in other people they could not see in themselves. This tells us as as much about Lupin as it does Lilly (pipe down Lupin/Lilly shippers!).

What struck me about this scene was the information that Lilly could "see" more clearly than others, that she could "see" what lay within people's hearts. It may be that Cuaron & Kloves merely meant that Lilly was very kind...but I think it may be more than that.

Lilly's/Harry's green eyes could be - likely are - the outward sign of hidden magical power. But what if the eyes' color isn't as important as what the eyes see? One aspect of Lilly's gift may have been a clarity of vision that let her see things - and truths - that others missed. Such an ability might be useful (even crucial) to The Boy Who Lived.

Of course, if Harry discovers a hidden portrait of GG (who just happens to have Lilly's/Harry's green eyes), I wouldn't be disappointed in the least. In fact, I'm fairly perishing to know more about GG, the other founders, and how the ancient rifts bewteen the HW houses came about. But that's for a different thread. :eyebrows:

ComicBookWorm
August 13th, 2004, 7:12 am
I'm kind of partial to the idea I heard someone suggest that one day Harry will find a portrait of Godric Gryffindor at Hogwarts and will recognize that he has Godric's eyes and that he is decended from Gryffindor on Lily's side. But that's just me. :)
That's my idea. I don't get many, but I did get that one.

LuvHP_001
August 13th, 2004, 7:19 am
Maybe it gives him a special advantage against Voldemort, other than just her love. Kind of like how when Voldemort tried to kill Harry it passed some his powers to him. Maybe the same thing happened when his mom saved him.

That's a good possibility.

Elf
August 13th, 2004, 7:54 am
original post by ComicBookWorm
That's my idea. I don't get many, but I did get that one.

Well it was a good idea! And I don't remember where you originally posted it, but I do remember the spine tinglies I got when I read it! Nice one! :)

WhoAmI
August 13th, 2004, 1:15 pm
I think Harry's and Lily's eyes are green because it is a rare and distinctive eye color, and it will tie them to Godric Gryffindor. When Harry looked into the mirror of Erised and saw a lot of green-eyed relatives (all from Lily's side). This probably means that it is common trait in the Evan's family. This will be the big thing we learn about Lily.
Lilly's/Harry's green eyes could be - likely are - the outward sign of hidden magical power. But what if the eyes' color isn't as important as what the eyes see? One aspect of Lilly's gift may have been a clarity of vision that let her see things - and truths - that others missed. Such an ability might be useful (even crucial) to The Boy Who Lived.

Of course, if Harry discovers a hidden portrait of GG (who just happens to have Lilly's/Harry's green eyes), I wouldn't be disappointed in the least. In fact, I'm fairly perishing to know more about GG, the other founders, and how the ancient rifts bewteen the HW houses came about. But that's for a different thread. :eyebrows:
Hmmmm... What color are Petunia's eyes? I don't remember. I wonder if she is one of the green-eyed Evanses. It would be funny to think of her as being related to GG!

Anyway, you put these two together & it makes the possibilities very interesting! :eyebrows:

offca
August 13th, 2004, 1:42 pm
Hmmmm... What color are Petunia's eyes? I don't remember. I wonder if she is one of the green-eyed Evanses. It would be funny to think of her as being related to GG!

we know that her eyes are "large, pale (so unlike her sisters)".

My friend told me also, that emeralds in old magic are the stones of power, or uniting with powers of nature, and transformations that take place during solstices. in Christian culture emerald is a symbol of human perfection.
and also Ireland is called "emerald island"

ComicBookWorm
August 14th, 2004, 4:03 am

Anyway, you put these two together & it makes the possibilities very interesting! :eyebrows:
He didn't see Petunia when he looked in the mirror. Interesting if we want to pursue the idea that either Petunia or Lily were adopted.

starlette01350
August 14th, 2004, 6:55 am
He didn't see Petunia when he looked in the mirror. Interesting if we want to pursue the idea that either Petunia or Lily were adopted.

Hmm, I'm not sure that's possible. Harry has to live at Privet Drive because he is protected there by ancient magic. Because Petunia and Lily are sisters, they are blood relatives and Harry is safe in her care. I'm sorry my explanation is so poor, DD does a much better job explaining it at the end of OoTP, lol.

ComicBookWorm
August 14th, 2004, 7:28 am
Hmm, I'm not sure that's possible. Harry has to live at Privet Drive because he is protected there by ancient magic. Because Petunia and Lily are sisters, they are blood relatives and Harry is safe in her care. I'm sorry my explanation is so poor, DD does a much better job explaining it at the end of OoTP, lol.

That was dumb of me. Of course there is the blood magic. I had a momentary mental breakdown. :td: :blush:

offca
August 14th, 2004, 7:44 pm
Petunia has pale eyes. also Draco Malfoy... and Sirius (at least as a dog).

"pale" I guess is not enough, we need a colour too.

I found more places with using :emerald green: robes of Ministry drivers, the colour of flames when using Floo powder... maybe it is just JKR' prefered colour?

Ranador
August 15th, 2004, 12:58 am
Green is the color of nature. It symbolizes growth, harmony, freshness, and fertility. Green has strong emotional correspondence with safety. Dark green is also commonly associated with money.

Green has great healing power. It is the most restful color for the human eye; it can improve vision. Green suggests stability and endurance. Sometimes green denotes lack of experience; for example, a 'greenhorn' is a novice. In heraldry, green indicates growth and hope. Green, as opposed to red, means safety; it is the color of free passage in road traffic.

Use green to indicate safety when advertising drugs and medical products. Green is directly related to nature, so you can use it to promote 'green' products. Dull, darker green is commonly associated with money, the financial world, banking, and Wall Street.

Taken from: http://www.color-wheel-pro.com/color-meaning.html

Maybe Harry has some innate healing ability. Or it may be a sign that he'll be able to live after death if he has to die to defeat Voldemort.

ponabelle
August 15th, 2004, 3:44 am
That's a nice one Ranador. For me I think his green eyes serve as Lily's legacy, since he looks so much like James. Also, green is the counter-colour (complementary colour) for purple, a colour often associated with magic or royalty. This may emphasize Harry's 'muggle' roots and his insistence that despite all the attention that's piled on him, he's still very much a 'common' boy. Maybe the significance of Harry's 'non-magical' traits will be fleshed out much more come the next two books.

WhoAmI
August 15th, 2004, 6:25 am
He didn't see Petunia when he looked in the mirror.I'm not so surprised he didn't see Petunia in the mirror, even if he did see the entire Evans clan there. After the way he was treated in her house growing up, he really wouldn't have any desire to see her at Hogwarts would he? :lol: Still I'm curious about what color "pale" might be and if her "different" eyes have some significance also.

ComicBookWorm
August 15th, 2004, 6:28 am
I'm not so surprised he didn't see Petunia in the mirror, even if he did see the entire Evans clan there. After the way he was treated in her house growing up, he really wouldn't have any desire to see her at Hogwarts would he? :lol: Still I'm curious about what color "pale" might be and if her "different" eyes have some significance also.
I figured that was the reason too. Not seeing any of the Dursleys again would be too soon for him. :rotfl:

rotsiepots
August 15th, 2004, 7:09 am
Petunia has pale eyes. also Draco Malfoy... and Sirius (at least as a dog).

"pale" I guess is not enough, we need a colour too.

Both Malfoy and Sirius have grey eyes.

I think the fact that Harry has his mother's eyes will end up being more important than their actual colour.

ComicBookWorm
August 15th, 2004, 7:33 am
Both Malfoy and Sirius have grey eyes.

I think the fact that Harry has his mother's eyes will end up being more important than their actual colour.
It will have to be because in the movies they aren't green. I personally think it is just a more distinctive color than some and, as such, sets them apart easier.

OneSiriusNiffler
August 15th, 2004, 6:16 pm
We know that whenever a character has green eyes, JK is sure to mention it. I'm not sure if this is actually relevant, but Slytherin colors are green and black, right? The first three people that come to my head when I think of green eyes are:
1. Harry
2. Dobby
3. Lily

So, what exactly is going on here?

1. We know Harry was probably going to be sorted into the Slytherin House.
2. We know Dobby served the Malfoys, who are a reknowned Slytherin family.
3. Lily "saved" Snape, who is the Slytherin House Head, from James's mockery.

Harry is powerful, the Malfoys are powerful (he's a death eater), and Snape is powerful (he's an ex-death eater).

Green: go, good, health, wealth, power
Red: evil, stop, blood

Just noticing patterns. Any thoughts on this?

WitheredShadow
August 15th, 2004, 11:20 pm
I think the Chi in my room is circulating, because I've just thought of something interesting:

Maybe Harry wasn't born with green eyes. THAT'S what may be significant. Like Voldemorte left him with a scar and a strange similarity to him (like the wand incident), maybe Lily left a mark, too- her especially bright green eyes.

Let's analyze the properties of the scar: It warns him of danger and connects him to Voldemorte.

Assuming his eyes have similar properties, we could also assume that maybe his eyes have something to do with whatever it is that's protecting him from Voldemorte (I.E, burning Quirrel to bits).

Am I completely in left feild?

PS- This is a bit of an extension of what AutumnAshes wrote. I didn't notice her post until after I wrote this one, so I apologize for being repetitive.

OneSiriusNiffler
August 16th, 2004, 3:11 am
So you're saying that Lily had warnings of Voldemort? Or are you saying that Voldemort transferred Lily's green eyes?
I'm almost getting it, I think... seems to have some possibility.

Elf
August 18th, 2004, 2:40 am
original post by WitheredShadow
Maybe Harry wasn't born with green eyes. THAT'S what may be significant. Like Voldemorte left him with a scar and a strange similarity to him (like the wand incident), maybe Lily left a mark, too- her especially bright green eyes.

I like the theory that Harry's eyes weren't green before the night Voldemort attacked him. I'm wondering though if the colour is just an indication of something more symbollic.

Forgive me if this has been mentioned before, but as we all know JKR has said there were aspects of the movie version of POA that gave her chills because they foreshadowed some things. Now, this statement has been used to justify way too many theories, but I'll proceed anyway...

In the scene where Lupin is talking to Harry on the bridge, he tells Harry that Lily had a gift for seeing the good in people even when they could not see it in themselves. (Sorry if I have misquoted that) Could it be that Harry having his mother's eyes will somehow actually affect how he sees other people at some point?

If in fact Harry's eyes were not green before that night, and they are a gift of some kind that is related to Lily's sacrifice, it seems possible to me that his eyes may be able to serve him in some way when he comes up against Voldemort. Lily's sacrifice protected Harry with her love. Also (according to the movie anyway) Lily was able to look on people with love, maybe even when they felt undeserving or were undeserving. Perhaps Harry will have inherited the ability to see this way when it really counts. Hatred is a destructive thing and if Harry is blinded by hatred for Voldemort it could affect his ability to do the wise thing in the end, whatever that may be.

I think I've just spawned another theory in my mind. Must go think...

ComicBookWorm
August 18th, 2004, 2:43 am
He has Lily's eyes. Lily's eyes were green. When he looked into the mirror of Erised, he saw a lot of green-eyed relatives.

Elf
August 23rd, 2004, 8:10 am
I have been giving this idea much thought lately and I think the significance of Harry's eyes is that he has inherited Lily's ability to see things a certain way. Lily's view was that the only way to defeat Voldemort was not to fight (as James did), but rather to sacrifice out of love. I think Harry having his mom's eyes foreshadows that in the end he too will see the need to sacrifice, not his life, but his powers. I have posted a full theory on this here in case you are interested:Will Harry follow Lily (the lover) or James (the fighter) in the end? (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=33266)

The idea concerning Harry inheriting his mother's eyes is just one aspect of the theory however, which is why I didn't post it here.:)

Dagmar
August 23rd, 2004, 8:14 am

In the scene where Lupin is talking to Harry on the bridge, he tells Harry that Lily had a gift for seeing the good in people even when they could not see it in themselves. (Sorry if I have misquoted that) Could it be that Harry having his mother's eyes will somehow actually affect how he sees other people at some point?

If in fact Harry's eyes were not green before that night, and they are a gift of some kind that is related to Lily's sacrifice, it seems possible to me that his eyes may be able to serve him in some way when he comes up against Voldemort. Lily's sacrifice protected Harry with her love. Also (according to the movie anyway) Lily was able to look on people with love, maybe even when they felt undeserving or were undeserving. Perhaps Harry will have inherited the ability to see this way when it really counts. Hatred is a destructive thing and if Harry is blinded by hatred for Voldemort it could affect his ability to do the wise thing in the end, whatever that may be.

I think I've just spawned another theory in my mind. Must go think...
Indeed, perhaps Harry will end up seeing the good in Snape?

hem_hem
August 23rd, 2004, 8:29 am

I agree with this. Maybe its to remind people that Harry is NOT his father, that he inherited a lot of his mothers good nature. In the pensieve seen she did seem much more noble than James.

courtneylee
August 23rd, 2004, 9:36 am

This quote I think refers to the fact that Mars is the "bringer of war".

Elf
September 9th, 2004, 8:51 am
I was doing some thinking and comparison about this tonight and this is what I came up with...

Traditionally green is associated with life, growth, and things that are new or fresh. I think Harry's eyes are green like Lily's because green represents "life". Now there are a few different reasons this would be significant.

The first reason is the most obvious. The green of Harry's eyes is symbollic because Lily died so that he would have life. There is a biological bond between mother and son shown by his inheritance of her green eyes, but also the bond of a mother sacrificing to save her child's life, thus the colour green.

The next reason I think Harry's green eyes represent life is because this provides a contrast between the purebloods of the story and halfbloods/muggleborns like Harry and Lily. Some of the prominent purebloods in the story have grey eyes--Draco and Sirus. I would imagine Lucius' "pale eyes" are likely grey as his son's are as well. In any case, the eyes of the purebloods are cold and grey, possibly representing death. The purebloods are slowly dying out because there are so few pureblood families left. Sirius tells Harry, when explaining the Black family tapestry, that purebloods who want to preserve their bloodline must intermarry and they are therefore all related. It is fitting that their eyes, a hereditary trait should represent a dying concept in the wizard world: pureblood.

In contrast to this, Lily was a muggleborn and Harry is a halfblood and both have green eyes, representing life. In order for the wizard race not to die out, it is essential to accept muggleborns and it is essential for marriage to occur between differing bloodlines. If the purebloods had their way and their prejudice ideologies were upheld, then the wizard world would become extinct. Simply put, Lily and Harry's green eyes represent the preservation of the wizard way of life through acceptance of those who are not purebloods. Again, the colour green here represents life, growth, and things that are new or fresh. Muggleborns and halfbloods bring a much needed newness and freshness to the wizard world that will ensure their magical way of life continues. In fighting against Voldemort Harry is fighting against the pureblood ideologies that would destroy the life of the wizard world. Lily also fought Voldemort through her sacrifice. Though all muggleborns and halfbloods obviously do not have green eyes, Harry and Lily are representative of these groups.

As Harry is the One in the prophecy it is also fitting that his green eyes should represent life. Firstly, he will likely sacrifice something in order to vanquish Voldemort, thus saving the lives of wizards everywhere. His green eyes mirror Lily's sacrifice as there is a possibility that he too will make a sacrifice.

The theory I hold to is that Harry will sacrifice his wizard powers in the end and thus give up his life as a wizard. There are many reasons I believe this, which I won't get into here. If green in Lily's case was representative of Lily being of muggle descent (thus bringing new life to the wizard world) then Harry having green eyes would again be significant if he was rendered a muggle through his sacrifice.

All ties together quite nicely I think.

Ralen
September 21st, 2004, 8:06 pm
I think Harry's eyes are green like Lily's because green represents "life".

Not that I haven't heard about the green = life theory before but what you've written in your post raises some really good points.
Possibly this has been mentioned before but in case it hasn't, when Harry was standing in front of the door to CoS he was able to open it because it looked alive, therefore in a sense he was beinging them to life.

...he saw a solid wall ahead on which two entwined serpents were carved, their eyes were great, glinting emeralds...their eyes looked strangely alive (pg. 225, CoS, Bloomsbury)

Reminds me of how Harry decided to let Peter go instead of killing him instead.

It is fitting that their eyes, a hereditary trait should represent a dying concept in the wizard world: pureblood.

Great point! I wonder if that was intentional on JK's part though...

EDIT:
Harry is also a Seeker as opposed to his dad, the Chaser. To be a seeker, you have to have good eyes to see the Golden Snitch. Is there something significant about this I wonder?

Elf, I think you're definetely on to something with this statement
I have been giving this idea much thought lately and I think the significance of Harry's eyes is that he has inherited Lily's ability to see things a certain way.

Vega
September 22nd, 2004, 1:18 am
Wow..... all this is making me proud about having green eyes! I have never even thought about the significance of Harry having them, but this thread made me think. :)

Elf
September 22nd, 2004, 8:15 am
original post by Ralen
Great point! I wonder if that was intentional on JK's part though...
I have a feeling it was intentional that JKR made the wizards from dark pureblood families have grey eyes (at least a couple we know of anyway). What makes me think this is the scene where Sirius shows Harry the Black family tree on the tapestry (which I mentioned briefly above). He explains the following to Harry: "The pureblood families are all interrelated...If you're only going to let your sons and daughters marry purebloods your choice is very limited; there are hardly any of us left." The purebloods are dying out, so I can see JKR giving them all a physical manifestation of this, thus the idea that their grey eyes represent coldness and death.

Now, I believe it is stated somewhere that Ginny has brown eyes (please correct me if I am wrong). I'm not sure if all the Weasleys have brown eyes, but this too would be fitting. The Weasleys are not a dark pureblood family. They are blood traitors, meaning that they associate with muggleborns or "mudbloods". Brown is the colour of mud, therefore their brown eyes could be an expression of their association with those whom other purebloods consider to have "dirty blood". Interesting too that brown could also be indicative of life in that mud/dirt/soil is necessary for things to grow. Life springs forth from the soil. Also in the traditional christian story of creation, Adam, the first man is formed from the "dust of the ground". Again a common image of life being given.

The old addage "The eyes are the windows to the soul" would be very appropriate if this theory is true.

Harry is also a Seeker as opposed to his dad, the Chaser. To be a seeker, you have to have good eyes to see the Golden Snitch. Is there something significant about this I wonder?
I'm not sure because both James and Harry wore glasses. This makes me think that while Harry inherited his dad's poor physical sight, he likely inherited his mother's acute emotional ability to see things a certain way. It's likely a contrast. However, as you point out Harry is a seeker, which means that his eyes have to be keen in order to see the snitch. Naturally his glasses correct his vision, but there could be more to it than that. I suppose the difference between Harry and James' eyesight could be more symbolic in that Harry has likely inherited his mom's keen ability to see things a certain way. I suppose we should consider then what the snitch possibly represents. What are Harry's eyes "seeking" after, and likewise if the eyes are the windows to the soul, what is his soul seeking after? Truth? Love? Peace?

Something else I've considered about Harry and Lily's eyes is the shape of them. It is mentioned that Lily's eyes are "almond-shaped". This description makes her eyes sound feline, as cats have eyes that are almond-like or pointed at the edges. If her eyes are feline, could that be a subtle clue that she is a descendant of Godric Gryffindor? The mascot of Gryffindor is a lion, which is a feline. It seems like an insignificant detail, but why would JKR include the shape of Lily's eyes in a description of her, other than to communicate she is pretty? With all the emphasis on Lily and Harry's eyes, I tend to think there is more to it. Just a thought.

Marcy
September 22nd, 2004, 8:32 am
As to those with Grey eyes...JKR has used a lot of mythology in the series, and Athena was known as the "Grey Eyed Goddess" Is this, perhaps, indicative of the qualities that those people possess?

Ralen
September 24th, 2004, 3:37 pm
I have a feeling it was intentional that JKR made the wizards from dark pureblood families have grey eyes (at least a couple we know of anyway).

I know Snape has virtually black eyes, it's mentioned somewhere and as I said earlier, great point.

Now, I believe it is stated somewhere that Ginny has brown eyes (please correct me if I am wrong).

You're right. They were described as "bright brown eyes" in CoS

The Weasleys are not a dark pureblood family. They are blood traitors, meaning that they associate with muggleborns or "mudbloods".

Isn't a blood traiter also someone who could have 0.025% muggle blood? I remember JK mentioning this somewhere. Again, I like your theories about the colour of the eyes and how they relate to other things.

But I think that just as they can be equated to life and all things good, it is just as easily associated with all the bad things that have happened throughout the series as several other posts have mentioned (Slytherin, Avada Kedavra, dark mark etc.)

I suppose the difference between Harry and James' eyesight could be more symbolic in that Harry has likely inherited his mom's keen ability to see things a certain way.

I forgot they both wore glasses. When I mentioned the Chaser/Seeker difference between James and Harry I did mean the symbolic way of how they saw things (I forgot to mention it ;p) I completely agree with your assessment of Harry inheriting his mum's way of looking at things.

I suppose we should consider then what the snitch possibly represents. What are Harry's eyes "seeking" after, and likewise if the eyes are the windows to the soul, what is his soul seeking after? Truth? Love? Peace?

I'll have a go at answering that. As a Chaser, your job is to help your team score points while your Seeker flys around looking for the one thing that ends the game - the Snitch. The snitch is difficult to see and difficult to catch, and as we saw in GoF, catching it doesn't necessarily mean winning.

So in simple terms, when I think of James as a Chaser he helped push things a long for Harry to give him a better chance of winning the battle with Voldemort with things like the Maruauder's Map, the inspiration for his stag Patronus, his friends Lupin and Sirius, the Order of the Phoenix which he was associated with he was alive etc.
Even though James hasn't been there to visibly help, these are things that left James left behind that have helped Harry so far in his fight against Voldemort.
Harry, on the other hand as a Seeker is looking primarily to win by defeating, if you will, the Snitch by outchasing others to it and outchasing the Snitch itself. The capture of the Snitch could encompass all those things you mentioned: love, truth, peace etc. People strive their whole lives to get just some of that.
I don't think Harry is trying to beat others to vanquishing Voldemort but in a sense, by catching the Snitch it could symbolise the end of the war/game between good and evil and the finding of the values he seeks.

Geez, I hope that makes sense! It's also off the topic but that's just one interpretation of the differences.

It is mentioned that Lily's eyes are "almond-shaped".
I know that I've read that Lily's eyes are almond-shaped but I can't remember where this was mentioned. Can you tell me where? The only reference I found was he meets the Sphinx in GoF. They are described as almond-shaped.

There is definitely more to Harry and Lily's eyes as JK wouldn't answer when someone asked about it. I can't remember the exact quote or where it's from though.

All in all, your post made really good points.

waterlily
September 25th, 2004, 2:28 pm
I've had a wild theory about this ever since I read JKR saying that Harry having his mother's eyes is important, together with the fact that we will find out something big about her in book 6. I think that Lily and Harry might be seers. Harry dreams about things that eventually come to pass, even when it's not connected to Voldemort.

Ralen
September 25th, 2004, 3:38 pm
I've had a wild theory about this ever since I read JKR saying that Harry having his mother's eyes is important, together with the fact that we will find out something big about her in book 6. I think that Lily and Harry might be seers. Harry dreams about things that eventually come to pass, even when it's not connected to Voldemort.

That's a very interesting theory! It could fit but I see a few problems with it.
I think most (if not all) of the dreams Harry had between books 1 and 4 were about what Voldemort was currently doing at the time, or what had already happened in his life so far. When Harry dreamt of the the murder of Frank Bryce, weren't those events happening at that exact time? I remember Harry waking up suddenly when Frank was killed.
A lot of his dreams are linked to the emotions that LV has, which is really because of the scar.

From the top of my head, I think the recurring dreams of the corridors is the first type of premonition dream that he has. This could be attributed to the connection with LV through the scar again though as LV was wanting to get to the prophecy in the DoM.

Harry certainly seems to sense/see things through his dreams so he and Lily being Seers is not completely out of the question. But he is obviously different from Trelawney who seems to get posessed. The only other type of predicting we've seen is Astrology which is what the Centaurs do.

jesssa
September 25th, 2004, 3:40 pm
I think it has to do with the mirrors Sirius gave to him and seeing the reflection of his eyes at the end of OOtP.

sneff
September 25th, 2004, 5:17 pm
i love all of these thories there so cool.
personaly i think that his eyes have something more to do with seening thing the way that lily saw them, and having her ability to see something good in everyone, like with wormtail in PoA. Or maybe it could be predicting that he will at some point have to scarifice something (maybe himself) for the lives of the world.

i like the idea that all of the coulor of eyes mean something. it seems like a ver JKR thing to do leave little clues simply in the eye colour.

personaly after having read this a theroy came to mind. what if having grey eeyes was a small was of predicting peroples death. ok that sounds realy rubbish but cedric had grey eyes and then got killed. sirius had/has grey eyes and is dead ( as far as we know). do you see my piont?

Elf
September 30th, 2004, 7:42 am
original post by Ralen
I know that I've read that Lily's eyes are almond-shaped but I can't remember where this was mentioned. Can you tell me where? The only reference I found was he meets the Sphinx in GoF. They are described as almond-shaped.
In Snape's Worst Memory Lily is described in the following way: "She had thick, dark red hair that fell to her shoulders, and startlingly green almond-shaped eyes--Harry's eyes." (OotP p. 570 Canadian ed.)

I was recently reading in a book about cats that there are three different eye-shapes for cats: round, oval and almond. The choice of this word to describes Lily's eyes seems significant. I really think it's to connect her with feline/lion imagery in order to portray her as a true Gryffindor. There are actually similar feline/lion descriptions used for Ginny as well (her mane of red hair, her eyes reflecting the light like a cats, making angry cat noises). I think Ginny, like Lily, is also being portrayed as a true Gryffindor. Likewise, Harry has Lily's eyes and this could be another sign (amongst others, like the sword) that he is a true Gryffindor as well.

Isn't a blood traiter also someone who could have 0.025% muggle blood? I remember JK mentioning this somewhere.
A blood traitor is someone who is born a pureblood but chooses to associate with those of lesser, tainted blood and is therefore considered a traitor. Basically purebloods feel they are elite and should only associate with other purebloods, so any purebloods who don't abide by this snobbish rule, for example the Weasleys, are branded as blood traitors. Basically they are considered tainted by association.

I'll have a go at answering that. As a Chaser, your job is to help your team score points while your Seeker flys around looking for the one thing that ends the game - the Snitch. The snitch is difficult to see and difficult to catch, and as we saw in GoF, catching it doesn't necessarily mean winning.

So in simple terms, when I think of James as a Chaser he helped push things a long for Harry to give him a better chance of winning the battle with Voldemort with things like the Maruauder's Map, the inspiration for his stag Patronus, his friends Lupin and Sirius, the Order of the Phoenix which he was associated with he was alive etc.
Even though James hasn't been there to visibly help, these are things that left James left behind that have helped Harry so far in his fight against Voldemort.
Harry, on the other hand as a Seeker is looking primarily to win by defeating, if you will, the Snitch by outchasing others to it and outchasing the Snitch itself. The capture of the Snitch could encompass all those things you mentioned: love, truth, peace etc. People strive their whole lives to get just some of that.
I don't think Harry is trying to beat others to vanquishing Voldemort but in a sense, by catching the Snitch it could symbolise the end of the war/game between good and evil and the finding of the values he seeks.
I like your analysis here. I always wondered why JKR decided to make James a chaser rather than a seeker as it seemed more appropriate for Harry to follow in his father's footsteps, but what you've said provides a good explanation for this.

Your analogy also explains the difference between the types of sacrifices James and Lily made in Godric's Hollow. James held off Voldemort (prolonging the game by gaining points/time, as a chaser does) and Lily was seeking to defeat Voldemort in that she dealt the final blow by sacrificing herself for Harry, which won the match. So if the second war can be looked at as a second Quiddtich match, perhaps we can say that as Lily and Harry are paralleled because of their eyes and Lily dealt the final blow to Voldemort in the first match, then Harry,as the seeker, will sacrifice in a similar way to Lily this time. This makes sense if the snitch represents such things as love and peace, because essentially that's what Lily's sacrifice sought to achieve.

Hopefully that made sense. Anyway, I liked your analogy!

offca
September 30th, 2004, 7:52 pm
In Snape's Worst Memory Lily is described in the following way: "She had thick, dark red hair that fell to her shoulders, and startlingly green almond-shaped eyes--Harry's eyes." (OotP p. 570 Canadian ed.)

I was recently reading in a book about cats that there are three different eye-shapes for cats: round, oval and almond. The choice of this word to describes Lily's eyes seems significant. I really think it's to connect her with feline/lion imagery in order to portray her as a true Gryffindor. There are actually similar feline/lion descriptions used for Ginny as well (her mane of red hair, her eyes reflecting the light like a cats, making angry cat noises). I think Ginny, like Lily, is also being portrayed as a true Gryffindor. Likewise, Harry has Lily's eyes and this could be another sign (amongst others, like the sword) that he is a true Gryffindor as well.

I am not sure if there is really so much about the shape. Almond shape is quite typical, and mostly considered the most beautiful one, perfect. Many times, when I read description of beautiful women, they must have had almond shaped eyes :)
It may be only a point to show, that she had nice, regular, beatiful eyes.

Elf
September 30th, 2004, 9:10 pm
original post by offca
It may be only a point to show, that she had nice, regular, beatiful eyes.
Certainly it could be, but in conjunction with some of the things I listed in my post previous to that one and the fact that similar imagery is used to describe Ginny in relation to cats, I think there's at least a possibility that there is something more to it--and by this I mean symbolically, not magically. Another example would be McGonagall who transforms into a cat. Harry has inherited his mother's eyes as well and we know that he's a true Gryffindor because of what took place in CoS. I don't think it's a stretch to say that feline imagery is being used to classify certain characters as true Gryffindors. Now, obviously all characters from Gryffindor are not portrayed in this manner, but I think it may be a subtle hint on the part of the author. JKR has implied that there is something more to do with cats in the stories. Maybe we are looking too hard for an explanation and it's merely that she just used cat imagery for some of the Gryffindor characters. Just a possibilty.

I do still think there is much more to Lily's eyes than just the shape however. I hold to the theory that the "eyes are the windows to the soul" and that because Harry inherited his mother's eyes he also has her ability to see/feel things a certain way and that this reflects that his decision will be to sacrifice something in the end in order to vanquish Voldemort, just as his mom did.

offca
September 30th, 2004, 9:20 pm
Actually I am not sure by myself which option is the best one ;)
For sure it can be only the symbolic expression of having same eyes by Harry and his mother, as similar attitude towards other people – or simply same souls. JKR had to use some kind of eyes, repeating "same eyes" would be stupid. So it may be that nor color nor shape have nothing to do with the essence of this similarity.
But – there is an option that there is no accident with color of shape. Especially color is strongly emphasized, and not just green, but emerald green. I wrote some pages before about meaning of emerald.
I have found recently, that absinthe is emerald green. And absinthe is very interesting thing – it is made with extracts of wormwood, which Snape introduce on his first lesson with Harry. Absinthe is known to be beloved alcohol of artists, writers of late XIX century, and beginning of XX. It was believed to help in opening the eyes of soul, free mind etc.

What exactly JKR said about cats? That they will be important? That there is something more about them?

whizbang121
September 30th, 2004, 9:39 pm
Emerald? I thought they were bright green eyes. Hmmm.....
Almond eyes are so commonplace as to be probably unimportant. If there's a feline characteristic, it's probably the color.

offca
September 30th, 2004, 10:14 pm
Whiz - in a few places Harry is discribed to have emerald green eyes :) I cannot believe you haven't noticed that! If you wish to find more things that are described similarly - just go up a little bit, I think around number 30-35.

whizbang121
September 30th, 2004, 10:24 pm
Hmmm..... Can't find it. The stone serpents had emerald eyes. I think there are lots of snake carvings with emerald eyes, but I've never noticed Harry's being emerald green.

Guess I'll go off and look.

Elf
October 1st, 2004, 3:30 am
original post by offca
What exactly JKR said about cats? That they will be important? That there is something more about them
The following is a quote from the Scholastic interview with JKR:

Q:Is there something more to the cats appearing in the books than first meets the eye? (i.e. Mrs. Figg's cats, Crookshanks, Prof. McGonagall as a cat, etc.)

JKR: Ooooo, another good question. Let's see what I can tell you without giving anything away....erm....no, can't do it, sorry.

Now I totally admit that this may not have anything to do with Lily's eyes being feline, but JKR makes it pretty obvious that something is going on with cat imagery in the books. I'm just speculating that it has something to do with certain characters having physical traits that are clues that they are true Gryffindors.

What you say about the colour emerald green is interesting. I can think of three other times this colour is specifically mentioned (and I'm sure there are more). Once is in reference to McGonagall's cloak in the first chapter of PS: "She was wearing a cloak, an emerald one." Again in chapter seven of PS it says: " A tall, black-haried witch in emerald-green robes stood there" referring to McGonagall. The third example I can think of is in OotP when the Advance Guard is at Privet Drive to retrieve Harry. Emmeline Vance, a member of the Order is described in the following way: "A stately-looking witch in an emerald green shawl inclined her head."

Perhaps it is just coincidence that the colour emerald green is used to describe the clothing of these two women, but the fact that it is specifically "emerald" out of all the possible shades of green is rather intriguing. Both of these women are in the Order, but other than that I don't see a connection. Strange that green is one of the Slytherin colours though. Anyway, this likely means nothing, but I thought I would mention it seeing as it crossed my mind. :)

whizbang121
October 1st, 2004, 3:38 am
Fudge wears bottle green robes. And I think Harry's first letter was addressed in emerald green ink.The envelope was thick and heavy, made of yellowish parchment, and the address was written in emerald-green ink. There was no stamp.

But I haven't come across a place where Harry's eyes are described as emerald green. They are bright green.

Elf
October 1st, 2004, 3:59 am
In addition to the examples whizbang121 gave, Harry's dress robes for the Yule Ball are also bottle green, about which Mrs. Weasley says: "I thought they'd bring out the colour of your eyes, dear". (GoF p. 139 Canadian ed.)

Lochious
October 1st, 2004, 4:12 am
Harry Potter
The boy who lived, but why?
All know him at the sight of his scar: a scar that has some hidden meaning yet to be revealed.
I do think that the traits casually mentionned in passing are important. Take Dumbledore, for example.In book five, it is mentionned that Dumbledore could "do things with a wand" that old Marshbanks had never seen before (at NEWT levels, mind you, but the idea is still there). Dumbledore is obviously and undeniably a very powerfull wizard and a very morally staunch character. You know who else also has very powerful magic? Dobby...
Dobby, with his startling green eyes and love for socks......
Dumbledore, with twinkling blue eyes and his "desire" for socks......
Both of whom will go to long, long lengths to protect Harry.
Other, new types of magic have shown themselves in the previous books{Tonks}, never forgetting the ancient magic that Harry's mum used to save him that fateful night 16 years ago. Magic, of which is kept secret in the Departement of Mysteries. Magic, that Voldemort fears and that Harry has in abondance.
Why don't house elves want freedom? Will Hermione ever really figure that one out?
Everything is connected.....but I really haven't the foggiest how!!!???!?!?!
Any ideas anyone, please let me know. Thought to be fair, I might not be able to reply.

The Gurg
October 1st, 2004, 6:04 am
The green could represent the Voldemort in Harry. We do not know much of Lilys past so we do not know about the relationship she had with peers and enemies. For all we know, Voldemort could have been related to Voldemort from Voldemorts fathers side. I think we will find out more about Lily, Harry's Green Eyes/Voldemorts red eyes, etc...i cant wait

ComicBookWorm
October 1st, 2004, 6:52 am
The green could represent the Voldemort in Harry. We do not know much of Lilys past so we do not know about the relationship she had with peers and enemies. For all we know, Voldemort could have been related to Voldemort from Voldemorts fathers side. I think we will find out more about Lily, Harry's Green Eyes/Voldemorts red eyes, etc...i cant wait
JKR states emphatically on her website that Harry isn't related in anyway to Voldemort or Slytherin. So Lily couldn't have been either.

offca
October 1st, 2004, 7:31 am
Whiz... you got me. I have no idea where it is written that Harry has emerald green eyes.. I know I have read it somewhere, I hope I didn't take it from someone who just made it up... I took is a fact :(
I need to look for it. I hope it is not mistake, I liked this ideas :)

while searching for emerald, I found great stuff on alchemy thread - I had no idea that emerald is a symbol of Alchemy!
The fire when using floo powder is also emerald green...

anabel
October 1st, 2004, 8:28 am
"I like the theory that Harry's eyes weren't green before the night Voldemort attacked him. I'm wondering though if the colour is just an indication of something more symbollic."

How would it be so important that he has his mother's eyes if that were the case?

There is a tradition that witches have green eyes. My mum used to imply that to say someone has green eyes is almost accusing them of being a witch! Don't know why. I think in the books green is a magical colour signifying magical qualities.

ComicBookWorm
October 1st, 2004, 9:14 am
Lily's eyes were green and so are Harry's--the attack left the scar, but it didn't change his eyes.

Elf
October 2nd, 2004, 4:05 am
original post by ComicBookWorm
Lily's eyes were green and so are Harry's--the attack left the scar, but it didn't change his eyes
Yes, otherwise Sirius, Remus, Hagrid or someone who had known Harry as a baby would have said something about his eyes changing colour. Instead it is always pointed out when someone recognizes him that he has Lily's eyes and this isn't a shock to anyone. The implications seem to be that Harry has inherited his eyes from Lily and that with that he has inherited something else--an ability to see things or feel things a certain way, the capacity to love, the courage to sacrifice, etc. His eyes being green suggests something that is deeply rooted in him as a result of being Lily's son, not that something was done externally to make his eyes suddenly change the same colour as hers.

Dagmar
October 2nd, 2004, 4:18 am
Yes, otherwise Sirius, Remus, Hagrid or someone who had known Harry as a baby would have said something about his eyes changing colour. Instead it is always pointed out when someone recognizes him that he has Lily's eyes and this isn't a shock to anyone. The implications seem to be that Harry has inherited his eyes from Lily and that with that he has inherited something else--an ability to see things or feel things a certain way, the capacity to love, the courage to sacrifice, etc. His eyes being green suggests something that is deeply rooted in him as a result of being Lily's son, not that something was done externally to make his eyes suddenly change the same colour as hers.
yes, I agree.
Also, Harry is kind of the messenger to his parents enemies, he looks like his dad, and he has his mothers eyes. He can see the enemies for what they are much like I suspect his mother did. For the bad guys looking at Harry it's as if James and Lilly are looking at them from beyond.

Elf
October 2nd, 2004, 5:38 am
original post by Dagmar
Also, Harry is kind of the messenger to his parents enemies, he looks like his dad, and he has his mothers eyes. He can see the enemies for what they are much like I suspect his mother did. For the bad guys looking at Harry it's as if James and Lilly are looking at them from beyond.
This is a very interesting perspective, especially seeing as James and Lily defied Voldemort three times. It's another way for Voldemort to be forced to remember those he killed other than just seeing their images emerge from his wand during the Priori Incantatem. I wonder if there will be a moment at the climax of the final battle when Voldemort looks into Harry's eyes and sees Lily staring back at him, at which time he realizes his doom. The idea gives me shivers! Thanks for sharing that!

Ralen
October 5th, 2004, 4:30 pm
Anyway, I liked your analogy!

Thanks!

I have a quick question, has JKR ever mentioned the colour/shape of Aunt Petunia's eyes?

I tried to find a quote but couldn't.

offca
October 5th, 2004, 5:01 pm
she said Petunia has "pale eyes" it is somewhere here also. you can find this discription in OotP, in the beginning, after dementors attack - Harry looked in her eyes and said something like that. I do not have my book now, so cannot say exactly.

Does anyone know what color exactly Harry's eyes have? I believed it was emerald green, but then when Whiz asked where from - I couldn't answer. was it some mistake? Or is it in at least one place somewhere that he has emerald green eyes? I made all research on emerald because of that! And later I read also in Alchemy thread, that emerald is symbol of Alchemy!

So - emerald eyes are mistake of truth?

Ralen
October 5th, 2004, 5:04 pm
she said Petunia has "pale eyes" it is somewhere here also. you can find this discription in OotP, in the beginning, after dementors attack - Harry looked in her eyes and said something like that. I do not have my book now, so cannot say exactly.

Got it. Thanks! JKR also makes specific reference to the fact that it is so unlike her sister's....Hmm...

*wanders away to ponder some more*

Machiavelli
October 5th, 2004, 5:28 pm
Thanks!

I have a quick question, has JKR ever mentioned the colour/shape of Aunt Petunia's eyes?

I tried to find a quote but couldn't.
Not only pale, but as far as I remember she had protruberant eyes? Large? I know Luna has those, but for some reason I associate slightly bug eyes with Petunia (could be just mental projection of course...)

Ralen
October 5th, 2004, 6:51 pm
Not only pale, but as far as I remember she had protruberant eyes? Large? I know Luna has those, but for some reason I associate slightly bug eyes with Petunia (could be just mental projection of course...)

Well she is supposed to be quite keen on spying on her neighbours so for you to associate buggy eyes with Petunia is not way off :eyebrows:

They were described as "large, pale eyes (so unlike her sister's) were not narrowed in dislike or anger....", in OoTP, pg.39, UK, Hardcover.

Does anyone know what color exactly Harry's eyes have? I believed it was emerald green, but then when Whiz asked where from - I couldn't answer. was it some mistake? Or is it in at least one place somewhere that he has emerald green eyes?

I'm afraid to say that Harry's eyes have not been described as emerald green througout the series. Both Lily's and Harry's eyes have been described as "bright green" only...and "startingly green" was also the description of Lily's eyes in OoTP in the Pensieve scene.

offca
October 5th, 2004, 7:16 pm
so where I got it from??? :grumble:

I was afraid to write whole quote about eyes, but reading what you wrote, I remembered it well ;) I should do something else also, and only reading HP ;)

Nicole
October 5th, 2004, 7:27 pm
so where I got it from??? :grumble:

I was afraid to write whole quote about eyes, but reading what you wrote, I remembered it well ;) I should do something else also, and only reading HP ;)
The emerald green eyes are in the Chamber of Secrets (well, an inner door): "...two entwined serpents were carved, their eyes set with great, glinting emeralds."

offca
October 5th, 2004, 8:17 pm
about this I know - that was part of my exitment when looking for other emerald things.
but I was 100% sure Harry's eyes were discribed as being emerald green...

Scaedu
October 6th, 2004, 2:25 am
I have to say that I can't wait to find this out myself because I have very green eyes (naturally ;) ) so it will be fun to see what "power" I have in the Harry Potter world.

HarryPotter190
October 6th, 2004, 2:34 am
Harry's eyes are not emerald green... They are bright green...

offca
October 6th, 2004, 8:47 am
Now I know - sorry for making any mess about that.
Whiz - thanks you keep your eyes on everything :)

But maybe just slightly emerald green..? :grumble:

:D

Manu
October 7th, 2004, 9:13 am
I personally don't think that the colour of Harry's eyes is the significant bit. After all Harry in the film has blue eyes, if the colour had been that crucial then good old Dan would have been asked to wear contact lenses! I think that it's more to do with symbolic and the fact that Harry has his mother's eyes is maybe a way to imply that Harry will see the world the way the mum did and react more in a Lily's way than in a James' way

Tane
October 7th, 2004, 9:46 am
Green is the colour of safety and has very powerful healing properties, so that might explain why Lily was capable of protecting Harry from the Avada Kedavra curse. Harry might also have incredible healing powers and the eyes may be suggestive of this. Harry's eyes being symbolic of healing due to there colour would also tie in with the property of phoenix eyes, so it would not suprise me if Harry turned out to be an extremely powerful healer.

offca
October 7th, 2004, 6:26 pm
I personally don't think that the colour of Harry's eyes is the significant bit. After all Harry in the film has blue eyes, if the colour had been that crucial then good old Dan would have been asked to wear contact lenses! I think that it's more to do with symbolic and the fact that Harry has his mother's eyes is maybe a way to imply that Harry will see the world the way the mum did and react more in a Lily's way than in a James' way

We shouldn't really look to close on movies - wearing lenses that change eyes' colour isn't healthy, and especially for a kid, every day for longer time (making a movie takes some time). I guess Dan's parents could be against it.

I think it was too many times about his eyes colour, for this being not important. It is not just that they are like his mother. what is interesting, when anyone says something about "LIly's eyes" it is not about colour - I do not think we have even one moment when someone said "green as Lily's". just that they are "Lily's eyes" (just had creepy feeling that maybe they are Lily's eyes :rotfl:

But even if with discribing them as similar to Lily colour seems to doesn't matter, I think with connection to Harry it does matter.

BlackChidori
October 11th, 2004, 3:17 am
Well here is my opinion about Harry's eyes having powers:

First of all, since Harry can't use his wand against Voldemort, he will have to find another way to fight him. More importantly, another kind of magic to fight him with.

So what kind of magic can Harry use against Voldemort?

Wandless magic: more importantly, charms.

If Lily's wand was good for charms, and Harry has her eyes, as out there as it may sound, maybe Harry somehow inherited some power to do charms with his eyes, or at least without a wand. Think aboutall the wandless magic Harry has done, like blowing up Aunt Marge and "flying" to the top of his school building, etc. (including or not including the Lumos without his wand in the beginning of OotP)

If you think about the effects of the magic, I'm pretty sure they ALL turn out to be charms.

Blowing up Aunt Marge: Engorgement and Levitation Charm
Flying to Top of School Building: Levitation Charm
Making the sweater shrink: (Well, if there's an Engorgement Charm, there's got to be some sort of Shrinking Charm)
Growing his hair back: Growth Charm??
Making glass disappear: Disappearing Charm? (although it could have been a Vanishing Spell, so it would either disprove my theory or just mean that Harry can do regular wandless magic as well as Charms (which he seems to do the most))

Igniting wand tip without holding it?(If you count this): The Lumos Charm

The only other wandless magic we've heard of is Neville's in PS/SS, which is bouncing after falling out of a window, and I'm not sure what kind of spell that is. We don't really know whether the wizarding kids do a lot or a little wandless magic, and we don't know what kind of magic they do. So either they only do a little and Harry is special, or they can do a lot but just aren't under enough emotional stress, like Harry usually is. This would mean that Harry can do wandless magic like the other kids but does Charms the most.

(sorry its so long, it was originally a thread because i didn't see this one in my search)

Oh also, Manu, JKR said on her site that the fact that Harry has his mother's eyes will be significant in the next two books. Look in Future Books and then Facts on Mugglenet

Elf
October 14th, 2004, 6:36 am
original post by Black Chidori
The only other wandless magic we've heard of is Neville's in PS/SS, which is bouncing after falling out of a window, and I'm not sure what kind of spell that is. We don't really know whether the wizarding kids do a lot or a little wandless magic, and we don't know what kind of magic they do. So either they only do a little and Harry is special, or they can do a lot but just aren't under enough emotional stress, like Harry usually is. This would mean that Harry can do wandless magic like the other kids but does Charms the most.
There are other examples of wandless magic in the books, for example when Lupin conjures a flame in his hand on the Hogwarts Express, he uses wandless magic. Animagi do not use their wands to transform. We know this for certain as Sirius transformed repeatedly into Padfoot over the course of his 12 year stay in Azkaban and he did not have a wand in his possession then (So all other animagi we know can be included in this--James, Peter, McGonagall and Rita Skeeter). Legilimency and Occlumency don't require wand use either for those that are experienced in this area. This means that both Dumbledore and Snape use wandless magic as well. There is also speculation that Apparition is a form of wandless magic. Technically speaking Potions is also considered wandless magic. In any case, Harry is not the only person to cause magic to happen without a wand.

I don't think the accidental magic Harry has used can be considered Charms per se. To charm something, one needs to say an incantation. Mr. Ollivander tells Harry that Lily's wand was especially good for Charms, which leads me to believe that one needs a wand in order to charm something.

Whatever magic Harry has accidentally done, I don't think it is necessarily inherited from Lily. It has been mentioned in the books, by Hagrid for starters, that wizards sometimes accidentally do magic when they lose control of their emotions. This isn't an extremely uncommon or special thing when this happens, nor do I think Lily (who seemed to have better self-control than James anyway) likely had a huge problem with this happening. Plus it isn't connected to Lily or Harry's eyes in anyway. How on earth would Harry grow his hair back by magically using his eyes when it is physically impossible for him to stare directly at his own hair? :huh:

Whatever magic Harry was using it was certainly wandless and wordless, however I think it was very uncontrolled and basically the result of a sudden surge of strong emotion--not very reliable magic really. I think intentional wandless magic would be associated with a powerful and focused mind, not on anything specific to do with a person's eyes. Just my opinion though.

Nicole
October 14th, 2004, 1:57 pm
Maybe Black Chidori was thinking of the PoA movie scene where Harry blows up Aunt Marge? I thought the movie representation of the event made it look like Harry was focusing on making something happen, but is maybe just my interpretation (I only saw it once). :shrug:
I agree wandless magic is common, I even think Dumbledore can do both kinds simultaneously (see OotP MoM duel).

BlackChidori
October 15th, 2004, 1:41 am
Sorry, I meant wandless like spells that can be done with a wand, but were done without a wand...

Harry doesn't have to stare at it I'm guessing, maybe just think about it

If you count the lumos without holding his wand in OotP, he definitely wasn't looking at his wand (if he was, he'd be an idiot)

I know that other wizards do wandless magic when they have particularly strong emotions, I was saying that maybe Harry has some power (or so much of the emotion-power) that he can learn to control it at will. (everything else we've heard about has been accidental)

About Lupin's flame......never remembered that.

Ahh, I see, maybe he can whisper really quietly lol

Maybe he just thought the incantation? Like in OotP when one of the DE's waves his wand and flames shoot out, but he said no incantation (because Hermione had silenced him), and when the flames hit Hermione Harry thinks the spell would have been worse if the DE had said the incantation.

Maybe Lupin's flame is a spell to create like a bonfire, but since he said no incantation it was small?

I don't know......

Also, about the accidental magic Harry has done, I don't mean all of it was inherited from Lily, I'm just pointing out that her wand was good for Charms, and the wandless magic Harry has done have either all or mostly been Charms (or the wandless equivalent of a Charm).

Nicole
October 15th, 2004, 2:44 am
Sorry, I meant wandless like spells that can be done with a wand, but were done without a wand...

I apologize for theorizing about your thoughts :blush: .
I jumped in here thinking about green eyes for some strange reason.... :elaugh:
I somehow don't think the magical children are using true spells, per se. Granted, children often imitate what their parents do and say, but I would see them attempting to cast spells with pretend wands (an invisible one, a stick found in the yard....something like that--my boys have pretend wand duels using unsharpened pencils, for instance). The wandless magic the children do is rather uncontrolled and seems to have no need for/use of incantations. It is produced by strong emotion. Likewise, when Harry has used magic without a wand, he has been under emotional strain/duress.

Adults (hard to say where the cut-off age is, in reality of performance rather than the 17 that is "of age") seem to be able to focus the emotions to produce the magical effect without a wand (or to use the wand without speaking as you mentioned). The adults may whisper or just think the incantation along with being focused--they have had their formal education and introduction to the benefits of controlled magic (controlling emotion and/or using incantations to produce desired effects).

I don't think we are disagreeing, really, BC! Just stating things in different ways. :cool:

Well, just a little disagreement about the Charms use, I guess. Sorry!

Elf
October 15th, 2004, 5:06 am
original post by BlackChidori

Don't apologize, I got absolutely giddy while picturing Harry trying in vein to stare at his own hair in order to make it grow back! :lol:

I know that other wizards do wandless magic when they have particularly strong emotions, I was saying that maybe Harry has some power (or so much of the emotion-power) that he can learn to control it at will. (everything else we've heard about has been accidental)...

Also, about the accidental magic Harry has done, I don't mean all of it was inherited from Lily, I'm just pointing out that her wand was good for Charms, and the wandless magic Harry has done have either all or mostly been Charms (or the wandless equivalent of a Charm).
Okay, I think I get what you are saying more now. a)Harry can learn to hone his skill with wandless magic so that it is more controlled, which would make him above average as a wizard, and b) He inherited the ability to do spells that wouldnormally qualify as charms, from Lily. The fact that he inherited her eyes is merely symbollic of the magical ability he inherited from her and the eyes themselves are not necessary for casting the spells.

Have I understood what you mean better now?

Snorkack80
October 19th, 2004, 10:14 pm
Check out these song lyrics from the musical The Secret Garden. I don't think this has anything to do with Harry Potter, but it sure is funny to read, since Neville, Archibald (remember Archie with the nightdress), and Lily are all names from HP. I haven't noticed any Mary in HP, but Mary sounds like Harry, and in the song Mary's the one who has Lily's eyes. Hazel is even sort of like green. If you don't know the story, in the musical (a little different from the book The Secret Garden) Archibald is Mary's uncle who's a hunchback, Lily was his wife who died (she had a secret garden, which Mary rediscovers), and Neville is his brother. I guess the funniest thing is just that they're singing about Lily's eyes...

Lily's Eyes Lyrics

NEVILLE:
Strangely quiet, but now the storm
Simply rests to strike again.
Standing, waiting, I think of her.
I think of her.

ARCHIBALD:
Strange, this Mary, she leaves the room,
Yet remains, She lingers on.
Something stirs me to think of her.
I think of her.

NEVILLE:
From death she casts her spell,
All night we hear her sighs,
And now a girl has come
Who has her eyes.

She has her eyes.
The girl has Lily's hazel eyes,
Those eyes that saw him happy long ago.
Those eyes that gave him life
And hope he'd never known.
How can he see the girl
And miss those hazel eyes?

ARCHIBALD:
She has her eyes.
The girl has Lily's hazel eyes,
Those eyes that closed and left me all alone.
Those eyes I feel will never ever let me go!
How can I see this girl who has her hazel eyes?

In Lily's eyes a castle
This house seemed to be,
And I, the bravest knight, became,
My lady fair was she.

NEVILLE:
She has her eyes.
She has my Lily's hazel eyes.
Those eyes that loved my brother-never me.
Those eyes that never saw me,
Never knew I longed
To hold her close,
To live at last in Lily's Eyes!

ARCHIBALD:
Imagine me, a lover!

NEVILLE:
I longed for the day
She'd turn and see me standing there.

NEVILLE: ARCHIBALD:
Would God have let her stay! Would God have let her stay!
She has her eyes. She has her eyes.
She has Lily's hazel eyes. My Lily's hazel eyes.
Those eyes that saw me
Those eyes that first I loved so! Happy long ago.

How can How can
I now forget I now forget
That once I dared to be That once I dared to be in love.

To be alive and whole Alive and whole
In Lily's eyes, In Lily's eyes,
In Lily's eyes! In Lily's eyes!

:upset: :sad: :upset: :sad: :upset:

jazzy nifflah
October 19th, 2004, 11:07 pm
what is interesting, when anyone says something about "LIly's eyes" it is not about colour - I do not think we have even one moment when someone said "green as Lily's". just that they are "Lily's eyes" (just had creepy feeling that maybe they are Lily's eyes :rotfl:

Heh, I was thinking the same thing. Might be that Harry literally has his mother's eyes, and she can see everything he does (maybe she's that little voice inside Harry's head that helped him shrug off the Imperious Curse? - or maybe not... :whistle: )

Anyways - I'm thinking that it's possible that Harry may end up "vanquishing" Voldy by somehow forcing him to love, possibly by channeling a love charm through those green eyes of his. Power of love, indeed. :cool:

BlackChidori
October 21st, 2004, 2:31 am
Don't apologize, I got absolutely giddy while picturing Harry trying in vein to stare at his own hair in order to make it grow back! :lol:

Okay, I think I get what you are saying more now. a)Harry can learn to hone his skill with wandless magic so that it is more controlled, which would make him above average as a wizard, and b) He inherited the ability to do spells that wouldnormally qualify as charms, from Lily. The fact that he inherited her eyes is merely symbollic of the magical ability he inherited from her and the eyes themselves are not necessary for casting the spells.

Have I understood what you mean better now?

Thats what I meant, him being above average

Its probably symbolic about Lily's eyes, but Harry having his mother's eyes and the fact that her wand was good for Charms was put together on the facts about the book on some site I saw so I got to thinking about them together.

nickyg we are agreeing! lol

The whole Harry-had-an-eye-transplant when he was young is very disturbing, lol. Would his mother then have his eyes, or would she have like two of Moody's eyes (at least it would match).

But her seeing everything he sees is REALLY good.

She could DEFINITELY be that voice in his head, which is why he is so good at certain things. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it because of that voice in his head that he could resist the Imperious Curse? (It was something like "Jump onto the desk, jump onto the desk, just jump onto th edesk" "Why?" asked a small voice in the back of his head.)

It would really fit with his mother's blood protection she gave to him.

But if that voice is someone else, then it reminds me of that one North Tower editorial with The Dark Lord's soul in Harry, and whenever they get near it tries to break out, which is why his scar is described as "hurting fit to burst", etc. (This would also explain why neither can live while the other survives) That voice could be The Dark Lord, or it could be both of them. Lily controlling The Dark Lord's powers (maybe they would have corrupted a regular person) and Harry just thinks its his conscience/subconscious.

Back to my first theory about emotion-wandless-magic, if Harry does learn to control his emotions through Occlumency, then does that mean no more of the emotional-wandless-magic? Or would it mean that for everyone else, but for Harry it means that he can control his emotions to do the emotional-wandless-magic at will? Questions questions...

Oh yeah, about Harry making The Dark Lord feel love....

What would happen if Harry slipped a Love Potion to him or something? That would be very disturbing...

And if Harry cast like a really powerful Cheering Charm on The Dark Lord, would he start giggling? Also disturbing....

Nicole
October 21st, 2004, 5:55 pm
And here I thought the little voice in Harry's head was Jiminy Cricket! lol

No, really, I just thought the voice in Harry's head was his own. My thoughts often say things like, "No, that isn't right." If it is Lily's voice, wouldn't Harry qualify as possessed by her? I don't like that thought at all. I think the voice in his head is just himself, his willpower or his conscience.

Because Harry looks so much like his father, it was important to have some aspect of Lily's physique and that happens to be her almond-shaped green eyes. Yes, there is probably greater significance, but I just can't accept anything approaching possession.

Harry sees the world in much the same way as Lily (well, at least before all the teen angst came up in Book 5). He is compassionate, caring, thoughtful, and concerned about the welfare of others. He feels pity. His eyes see the way his mother's did. JMHO.

Tane
October 24th, 2004, 6:48 pm
And here I thought the little voice in Harry's head was Jiminy Cricket! lol

No, really, I just thought the voice in Harry's head was his own. My thoughts often say things like, "No, that isn't right." If it is Lily's voice, wouldn't Harry qualify as possessed by her? I don't like that thought at all. I think the voice in his head is just himself, his willpower or his conscience.

Because Harry looks so much like his father, it was important to have some aspect of Lily's physique and that happens to be her almond-shaped green eyes. Yes, there is probably greater significance, but I just can't accept anything approaching possession.

Harry sees the world in much the same way as Lily (well, at least before all the teen angst came up in Book 5). He is compassionate, caring, thoughtful, and concerned about the welfare of others. He feels pity. His eyes see the way his mother's did. JMHO.Green is a powerful colour for healing so perhaps that is one of the things that helped Harry survive the AK curse or perhaps it is another mark from the protection Lily offered to her son.

BlackChidori
October 30th, 2004, 2:03 am
Ooh, I just thought of some more support for my theory about Harry doing wandless charms (read above) or whatever I said

JKR said that something in the third movie chilled her because it foreshadowed something and everyone is thinking about it, etc. etc.

I just remembered when the trio are trying to find seats on the train and they are discussing what happened with Aunt Marge, Harry says "I didn't mean to blow her up, I just sort of lost control."

Would this mean he is normally in control of his emotional-magic-whatever?

Also, why would Fudge and the rest want to persecute him (or at least bring it up[OotP]) if it is so uncontrollable?

Hmm maybe he's just mad because his name is Fudge.

Venus_77
November 10th, 2004, 9:11 am
I think that Lily has The Sight. If you guys know what I mean. And maybe someday, Harry will have some prmonitions of the future. And somehow, it will help him kill Voldemort

hazard0707
November 10th, 2004, 3:19 pm
Hmm maybe he's just mad because his name is Fudge.
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotfl:

Lorimel
November 10th, 2004, 8:40 pm
hmmm, Please pardon these thoughts which will probably maker everyone go EWWWW
but
If, as has been speculated elsewwere, Voldemort had a Love Hate thing for Lily potter then
EVERY time he looks at Harry he sees Lily and it gives him pause, no matter how momentary, it gives him pause.
And though this is a tangent,
Does ANYNONE know what Lilly and James were whispering to Voldemort at the end of goblet of fire ? as harry broke the connection of the wands and ran for the port key he was aware of lily and james speaking to voldemort.
anyone seen anything anywhere as to what this may have been ?

BlackChidori
November 11th, 2004, 3:34 am
No clue, but we'll probably find out in book 6 or 7 (most likely 7).

Okay......The Dark Lord has feelings for Harry's mother, and now for Harry....

That pause you mentioned could be the thing that is his undoing...

Starlight4ever
December 6th, 2004, 2:48 am
Harry's green eyes represent how he sees the world similarly to his mother.
For example, niether Harry nor his mother liked how Harry's father treated Snape.

LaurenG
December 7th, 2004, 11:05 am
Firstly i apoligise if what i am about to say has been said already but i haven't read all the post in this thread yet. :blush: Also sorry if it does apear to be slightly off topic too - it does relate to lily's eyes though

the protection lily left harry - that of love - i believe will be how harry will defeat voldemort. It is said in OotP that Harry's emotions and love is what voldemort cannot tolerate so one could speculate that this will be the means of his defeat. i remember seeing somewhere that lily's wand will be important in the later books. Since Harry and Voldemort's wands cannot do battle against each other, as shown in GOF, perhaps lily's wand is what harry is going to have to use. With harry having lily's eyes and in conjuction with the use of her wand this will enhance the power of the protection she left him with her sacrafice. So Harry having Lily's eyes will help be the means of voldemorts defeat that is why JKR keeps reminding us of the fact that he has her eyes. She does tend to hint at things that will come later on.

i hope i have explained myself well enough. my brain a little fried atm.

Auror Fett
December 8th, 2004, 8:53 pm
I just can't understand what significant thing his eyes have/mean? They are his mother's eyes and almost anyone who knew her reminds it to Harry. J.K. refuses to divulge why this is so important though. Honestly, at this point in the series, these eyes can't be THAT important...Yet she doesn't say...

LaurenG
December 9th, 2004, 5:46 am
it seems to me that its important because JKR refuses to divulge. If it was really nothing why wouldn't she just say so?

luv2read
December 9th, 2004, 6:03 am
Ooh, I just thought of some more support for my theory about Harry doing wandless charms (read above) or whatever I said

JKR said that something in the third movie chilled her because it foreshadowed something and everyone is thinking about it, etc. etc.

I just remembered when the trio are trying to find seats on the train and they are discussing what happened with Aunt Marge, Harry says "I didn't mean to blow her up, I just sort of lost control."

Would this mean he is normally in control of his emotional-magic-whatever?

I also support the wandless magic idea. I thought maybe the part that gave JKR the chills in the movie was when Harry was falling in the quidditch match and Dumbledore used only his hand to lower Harry to the ground. I found that interesting, because in the book it clearly states he used his wand. :whistle:

I also wondered if the reason Harry is said to have his mother's eyes, might be that she saw people for who they were, ie Lupin. And Harry does too...he knew in the first book what sort of people he wanted to be associated with when he met Malfoy.

dementorsekiss
December 9th, 2004, 6:11 am
Well Maybe his eyes are an indication that he might have been slytherin and that he could have been just like Voldermort but because our old dear dumbledore said that choices are what make a person good or bad..
So it's just a reminder that his choices were good and that is what sets him aside from Voldemort....

sirius_gerl
December 9th, 2004, 9:22 pm
there might not be any significance of Harry's green eyes. They're a symbol and a remeberence to those of Lily, also it's what makes Harry different from James. After all, he looks like James and that reminds people of James, and eyes are very vibrant (the most vibrant of your body in drama) and they probably stick out, and James doesn't have green eyes.

NCMcGonagall
December 22nd, 2004, 11:15 pm
I think it was too many times about his eyes colour, for this being not important. It is not just that they are like his mother. what is interesting, when anyone says something about "LIly's eyes" it is not about colour - I do not think we have even one moment when someone said "green as Lily's". just that they are "Lily's eyes" (just had creepy feeling that maybe they are Lily's eyes

I must say that your creepy feeling is the same thought that keeps running through my mind. Rarely does anyone even say that Harry has eyes like Lily's. It is almost always that he has "Lily's eyes" or "his mother's eyes." Why couldn't she have done a Switching Spell as she was protecting him, leaving him with more than just the blood protection?

asrivathsan
January 2nd, 2005, 12:58 pm
May be this is too obvious .... but i think the eyes are meant to show the difference between james and harry...

Allemande
January 6th, 2005, 4:41 pm
In OOTP, there is a quote about eyes:
"Was this why Dumbledore would no longer meet Harry's eyes? Did he expect to see Voldemort staring out of them, afraid, perhaps, that their vivid green might turn suddenly to scarlet, with catlike slits for pupils?" OOTP, p. 435, Canadian version
In this passage, it makes mention of two eye colours, green and red. Do you think there is a link between the fact that Harry's eyes, which are green, is one of the colours for Slytherin, and Voldemort's eyes, which are red, is one of the Gryffindor colours? Is this just a concidence, or is JK trying to tell us something? Could this be why she said the colour of Lily's eyes is important?

laprincesamestiza
January 11th, 2005, 2:43 pm
There may be other quotes, if anyone knows of a different one then it'd be good to here it, but this is the only time I can find a reference to JKR talking about the importance of Harry having Lily's eyes.
"Harry has his father and mother's good looks. But he has his mother's eyes and that's very important in a future book."
taken from:
http://www.quick-quote-quill.org/articles/1999/1099-bostonglobe-loer.html

Interesting that she says "in a future book", not in future books, this implies that its significance is to do with a particular plot-line or event, rather than being a general note on the how Harry survived.

hobbitseeker
January 11th, 2005, 11:10 pm
Hello everyone, I am brand-spanking-new here, so I hope you won't mind if I put in my two cents on this subject at such a late hour.

I read through the thread, and noticed a lot of people focusing on the color of Harry's eyes, but I for one don't think the color is as important as the heredity factor. It's just a guess, but I think that Harry inherited some sort of power from Lily, and one way of showing that is through having his mother's eyes. I've read in a few places in these forums about the possibility that both Lily and Harry could be Seers, since their eyes are talked about so frequently. I think this could definitely be a possibility, especially since we've seen that Harry has been able to see events as they're happening in his dreams. I would argue that this could be a form of 'Seeing.'

Another thing that makes me think that having Lily's eyes is proof of some sort of power is the scene in Moody's DADA class where Harry throws off the Imperious Curse. Moody says:

"Look at that, you lot...Potter fought! He fought it, and he **** near beat it! We'll try that again, Potter, and the rest of you, pay attention--watch his eyes, that's where you see it--very good, Potter, very good indeed! They'll have trouble controlling you !"--POA, p. 232 (American paperback)

Just a couple thoughts...

-Kelly

chelsea90
January 11th, 2005, 11:17 pm
Could it be the one physical feature harry has that differs from voldemort(other than his scar of course.)

snapgr123orange
January 12th, 2005, 3:22 am
Jo makes such a big deal about his green eyes in the books yet Dan has blue eyes. *shrugs* You would think they would make him wear green contacts or something.

Slightly off topic yet not. Sorry!

Smaaug
January 12th, 2005, 6:34 am
Harry is said to have his mothers eyes. I believe it's also been stated that his eyes are his weakness. These two things must be connected somehow. His mother evidently put some ancient charm on Harry to save him.

One question is, did Harry have Lily's eyes before she sacrificed herself? Or did Harry get them from the Charm?

We know that the love his mother felt, reinforced the charm somehow. Also Harry has his mothers kindness. The eyes are supposed to be the windows to the soul, perhaps Lily's soul resides in Harry? Perhaps that is the protection, a kinda permenant patronus charm? Perhaps the reason Harry's eyes are his weakness is because the kindness his mother passed to him, wouldn't allow give him the ability to kill anyone? Including Voldemort? Whatever the reason, it would be kinda cool to see a message left for Harry from his mother that only he could read because of his eyes.

Just thinking out loud. Discuss what you think

ComicBookWorm
January 12th, 2005, 7:14 am
Jo makes such a big deal about his green eyes in the books yet Dan has blue eyes. *shrugs* You would think they would make him wear green contacts or something.

He was allergic to the contact lenses. I am sure they will deal with it another way in the movies.

What happens in the movies will resemble the books less and less as they go on since they have to cut so much.

jenny_d_b
January 13th, 2005, 2:04 pm
He can't be allergic to the contact lenses, because he has brown eyes in the third movie... Well, well.

Everyone here seems to trust Dumbledore blindly, even if he always points out himself that he is getting old and that he, too, can do mistakes. We don't know if he knows everything, maybe he's just pretty sure that love is the power Harry posesses and Voldemort not. It makes sense. But his eyes would have made sense aswell. I mean, he got them from his mother, too... His mother obviously does have a big part in the play! He survived, because of his MOTHER - maybe because of the eyes, if it hadn't been for his mother he wouldn't have those eyes. But why didn't Lily survive, then? Maybe she knew that if she sacrificed herself for Harry, he would get even BIGGER powers than just his eyes. So then Dumbledore was partly right.

After all, JK said that we would get to know HUGE things about Lily in the next book.

icklek
January 13th, 2005, 7:51 pm
I'm inclined to think that the significant of Harry's eyes has nothing to do with the colour for one reason - the films. If the colour was going to be significant wouldn't JKR have insisted that Harry had green eyes in the films?? I know Daniel Radcliffe was allergic to the contact lenses but if the colour was so important they could have done it digitally. DR has blue eyes, so they could just change things and have the blue eyes being important in the movies, but blue eyes are extremely common so it wouldn't really work.

Of course I could be talking rubbish....

atherella
January 13th, 2005, 8:13 pm
I'm inclined to think that it's not necessarily the color that is important. If it were the color that is most important, I imagine something would've been done in the movies (other than contacts if Dan is allergic) to make them appear green. There are all kinds of tricks and editing that could be done to make Dan's eyes appear green.

I've had an idea I've been playing with a bit for awhile now and have posted in other threads, and since it's appropriate here, I'll put the idea out there.

Since we know that the fact Harry has Lily's eyes is what is important, I'm beginning to wonder if Lily was a seer. Here's why...

*I fully and totally believe that Lily knew exactly what she was going to do if and when LV found her family. I don't believe she did that ancient magic on the spur of the moment. I think it was well planned out in advance. I also suspect that she discussed her plan with DD ahead of time, which is how he knew he needed to seal the pact. That isn't necessarily that important to Lily being a seer, but it could add strength to the argument that she is. (Regardless, I think Lily would have had a back up plan in mind, other than simply hiding out, but if you put it all together, it could add credibility).

*The fact that Lily and Harry have the same eyes are constantly being reinforced in the reader's mind.

*Windows are the eyes to the soul, many people claim. Harry is very perceptive and tries to be considerate to other people's feelings (for the most part... obviously Draco and his gang is an exception. But, even when Snape pulled him out of the pensieve, Harry knew he made a mistake in invading his privacy and was feeling guilty.)

*Eyes = sight = seeing. Could the importance of Lily/Harry's eyes = seer?

We know that there will be a major revelation about Lily, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if this was at least part of it. I'm also not laying down a claim that Harry is a seer, although I don't think that is all that far fetched. We've never seen him make a full blown prophecy, in that his voice changes and he doesn't remember. But, he has made some comments that have played out correctly and may signal that he has some sort of gift of the inner eye.

I don't know if this is it at all, and I'm not claiming it's correct, but I do think it is interesting and given what we know, it could be plausible. Thoughts? :)

laprincesamestiza
January 13th, 2005, 9:02 pm
Hmm, could be - though didn't DD say something like she "unwittingly" gave that protection - throwing yourself in front of an AK spell isn't an amazing plan, for all it worked.
I think the quote from JKR said that it was the fact that he had his mother's eyes that was important rather than the colour.

yarddog1
January 14th, 2005, 1:55 am
Ive been thinking about this. Maybe when Harry was born he didnt have green eyes. Maybe the protection Harry got from Lily was the green eyes as protection from Avada Kadvara. Avada Kadavara is green: Green eyes?

LS fan aSoUE
January 14th, 2005, 2:00 am
did jkr say the harry's eyes were important or important to the plot because if it was just important she might have ment it on a level that doesn't relate to the war

Allemande
January 14th, 2005, 2:52 am
maybe the significance has something to with that Harry's and Lily's eye colour(green) is the colour of Slytherin, and Voldemort's eye colour (red) is the colour of Gryffindor.

hobbitseeker
January 14th, 2005, 3:07 am
atherella,

I tend to agree with your theory, and I actually wrote something similar about a page back or so. It's interesting to me how Harry has been able to see things as they're happening in dreams, such as the murder of Frank Bryce and the attack on Mr. Weasley. I also found it interesting that at least in Frank Bryce's case we know Voldemort was not possessing him because Harry is frightened by what he saw in the chair. This seems to mean that Harry was seeing things from Frank's point of view, not Voldemort's. To me, even though it's not predicting future events, I would still argue that this is a sort of Seeing.

Another thing that caught my eye is how FakeMoody said that one could see how Harry is able to throw off the Imperious Curse by watching Harry's eyes. Do you have any idea how to tie this in with the Seer theory? Or are Harry's eyes multi-talented?

If anyone has any thoughts, I would love to hear them.

hgrwfan
January 14th, 2005, 3:25 am
I am not sure if this has been said before but I think Harry's eyes contain his power. I mean I know it was said that Lily died to save Harry and that gave him extra protection. But I believe, (and I may be wrong) that it was Harry that actually stopped the AK curse. I am not saying that Lily didn't help but I just remember when Harry talks about the night his Mum died he says that all he can remember is the green light. Perhaps green like his eyes.

jenny_d_b
January 19th, 2005, 2:54 pm
I don't think the reason that Crouch jr. said the thing about Harry's eyes was because of a special power, I would rather think that it is because you could see that his eyes were focused, they some kind of denied the Imperious curse. All the other people's eyes didn't say anything, because they followed what the Imperious curse asked them to do. They were like... Dead. But Harry's were consentrated and seemed to try to deny the power.

PatronusGyrll
January 19th, 2005, 3:24 pm
I am not sure if this has been said before but I think Harry's eyes contain his power. I mean I know it was said that Lily died to save Harry and that gave him extra protection. But I believe, (and I may be wrong) that it was Harry that actually stopped the AK curse. I am not saying that Lily didn't help but I just remember when Harry talks about the night his Mum died he says that all he can remember is the green light. Perhaps green like his eyes.
This is what I was thinking too...The Avadra Kedavra green light is connected with the Green in Harrys and Lily's eyes. I wonder if the Curse light was always green..I mean before Voldemort killed Lily..Maybe her protection of Harry changed the curse a bit..just a theory, but I dont remember it ever being mentioned about "green light" before the death of Lily.

I totally agree..Dans eyes are like Screamin blue..They should have had him definitley wear contacts. Maybe the eyes arent as signifigant as we thought..

MicheleLovegood
February 6th, 2005, 6:02 pm
I think the significance of Harry having green eyes and Harry's having Lily's eyes are two different things. His green eyes could signify all kinds of things; such as a sign of ancient magic or something.

I agree with Elf and others in this thread who believe that Harry has Lily's eyes (and that they are significant) in the sense that Harry has Lily's outlook on life. That is what Lupin is implying in the film during the bridge scene: Lily had a way of looking at others with kindness. She saw goodness in others even when they could not see it themselves. This is somewhat like Dumbledore with his extremely forgiving nature.

My daughter checked out a book from the library about witches and magic which of course we no longer have, but in the seciton on Egypt it talked about how the ancient Eyptians believed that your heart was weighed after you died. Much has already been made about the heart and love and being "pure of heart." Lily saved Harry with her sacrificial love; that protection ran in Harry's blood, which pumps through the heart. Phoenix song helps those who are "pure of heart" (from Fantastic Beasts) and this is how the bird assists Harry at the end of GOF.

Yesterday I was listening to an audiotape about mythology and heard this poem from the Middle Ages, which discusses the eyes and love:

So through the eyes love attains the heart:
For the eyes are the scouts of the heart,
And the eyes go reconnoitering
For what it would please the heart to possess.
And when they are in full accord
And firm, all three, in the one resolve,
At that time, perfect love is born
From what the eyes have made welcome to the heart.
. . . . . . . (I'm skipping some here) . . . . . .
love is perfect kindness,
Which is born - there is no doubt - from the heart and eyes.
de Borneilh

I'll venture that love and forgiveness is the significance of Harry's eyes.

Wimsey
February 6th, 2005, 7:10 pm
I agree with Elf and others in this thread who believe that Harry has Lily's eyes (and that they are significant) in the sense that Harry has Lily's outlook on life. That is what Lupin is implying in the film during the bridge scene: Lily had a way of looking at others with kindness. She saw goodness in others even when they could not see it themselves. This is somewhat like Dumbledore with his extremely forgiving nature.

Does that really describe Harry? He has had few opportunities to look beyond the exterior, but when he has had that opportunity, Harry has not done that.

Harry's “Hero Complex” also is inconsistent with this. That stems from Harry not really thinking about others, but assuming that everything is up to (and centered around) him. His quick temper (which has been evident since PoA) also points to this - Harry does not quickly understand why others disagree with him or doubt him. He does not do a really good job of stepping inside their shoes, as it were.

I agree with prior statements. The sole importance of Harry's eye color is that it reminds people of Lily in Harry's presence, just as his general physiognomy reminds people of James in his presence. This gives him a constant reminder of the dead. Given how importance understanding and accepting death is in the overall story, these could serve as key reminders.

However, I really doubt that the particular wavelength that they reflect will be of any importance.

fairylight
February 6th, 2005, 8:05 pm
Everybody is bringing up some really good points, I've always figured that Harry's eyes and JKR's constant reference to them would be signifigant at some point.

But maybe they are referred to so often as being his 'mother's eyes' because it just reinforces the point that we all need to remember, Harry's mother died to save him, she gave him that protection. The fact that he has his mother's eyes just shows us that they have a very signifigant bond, even though she is dead.

rachaelmona
February 6th, 2005, 8:19 pm
Maybe it's more than the colour of Harry's eyes.... maybe it's the almond shape of his green eyes!

Cheri
February 6th, 2005, 10:09 pm
I think his green eyes are merely a sign of his mother in him. The eyes are said to be windows to the soul- well Harry's mother's love is running through Harry's soul. I also wonder if his eyes were always green, or if they turned green after his mother's sacrifice and once the ancient magic was sealed. I wonder...
I think they just show something about him (like how his mother is in him or something)- not some hidden power or something he will be able to do in the future...

MicheleLovegood
February 7th, 2005, 4:05 pm
Does that really describe Harry? . . . Harry not really thinking about others, but assuming that everything is up to (and centered around) him. His quick temper (which has been evident since PoA) also points to this - Harry does not quickly understand why others disagree with him or doubt him. He does not do a really good job of stepping inside their shoes, as it were.I agree that Harry is at times selfish and self-centered.
But, due perhaps in part to his isolation from the wizarding world for so long, Harry's instinctual reactions are not selfish:

Harry's reaction to the snake in the zoo (he inadvertently frees him out of empathy), and his to Dobby. Harry is not overpoweringly disgusted by Dobby, and he gives him his freedom.

He is friends with Hagrid because Hagrid sought him out, but he certainly had ample opportunties to believe the worst of Hagrid, and yet did not. Even when he thought maybe Hagrid was trouble (COS, GOF) he still stays friends with Hagrid and does not abandon him to protect himself.

He doesn't really befriend Neville, but he is encouraging to Neville.

He doesn't want Sirius to kill Pettigrew, partly because then Sirius would not be able to be cleared, but I'm not sure he is really thinking that fast.

He feels empathy even for Snape in OOTP (Snape's Worst Memory).

I could go on and on. I agree that I don't think Harry's eyes are some bizarre plot instrument (although you never know). But I cannot feeling that it is Harry's way of looking at the world which sets him apart from others. He has empathy. Like Lily.

Draco Spirit
February 7th, 2005, 8:21 pm
i think Lily was some kind of special magic user... but not one were familer with! some kind of ancent cetic magic thing possible (JK Rowling seems to like digging up old methology)

anyone familer with celtic lore might have a better idea of what it could be

Wimsey
February 8th, 2005, 12:18 am
I agree that I don't think Harry's eyes are some bizarre plot instrument (although you never know). But I cannot feeling that it is Harry's way of looking at the world which sets him apart from others. He has empathy. Like Lily.

It is not that I think that Harry has no empathy, but that I do not think that it is his first reaction. The fact that he is capable of being empathetic probably will be important in the end.

Bunny
February 8th, 2005, 12:27 am
there might not be any significance of Harry's green eyes. They're a symbol and a remeberence to those of Lily, also it's what makes Harry different from James. After all, he looks like James and that reminds people of James, and eyes are very vibrant (the most vibrant of your body in drama) and they probably stick out, and James doesn't have green eyes. James doesn't, but Lily does. Harry Potter Lexicon (http://www.hp-lexicon.org/wizards/lily.html) describes Lily.
"Harry has his father and mother's good looks. But he has his mother's eyes and that's very important in a future book." This is an interesting quote, does this mean that Harry has actually been given the power from his mother and it is most visible through his eyes? laprincesamestiza's post with quote reference
Dans eyes are like Screamin blue..They should have had him definitley wear contacts. Maybe the eyes arent as signifigant as we thought.. The colour has been bypassed in the film, but is definitely in the books. (Dan couldn't wear the contacts as he was apparently allergic to them)
However, the eyes are important as they are being stressed in the film "Prisoner of Azkaban".
Both Sirius and Lupin have mentioned Harry's eyes.
There must be some special power from Harry's eyes that will enable him to defeat Voldemort.
Perhaps it will be that he will have a way of getting into Voldemorts mind and subjecting him to the type of feeling that caused Voldemort to quit Harry's body in Order of the Phoenix and that will be the end of Voldemort.
Just a thought, not a very good one maybe?

MadameSparks
March 8th, 2005, 3:44 pm
I admit that I did not read all these posts...so if I'm posting an already mentioned idea, sorry.

But the thought I'm having now is this: JKR was asked if there is a spell you have to use your eyes for and she refused to answer but said it was a great question and thinking the right way or something like that. I'm rereading OotP, and QUITE a few times it mentions legilimency requiring eye contact....Perhaps Harry having Lily's eyes is another protective magic she left him AGAINST legilmency? Or a magic she left him to be good at Legilmency? He did do well getting into Snapes mind a few times.

Cheplu
May 7th, 2005, 2:04 pm
could this eye colours have a link with the changeling theory?...

I personaly am a supporter of this this theory (part of V's soul past to Harry when AK curse rebounded) and one of the evidences of it is that Harry often hears voices in his head or that does things he doesn't understand (his is likes guided by some force inside him...).

but when re-reading OOTP recently, something occured to me. It is often mentionned that Harry hears a voice in his head that is like Hermions's voice.... Could that be Lily's one? Would some part of lily's soul reside in Harry's body too?... And Harry's eye would be the symbol of it (just like his scar is the symbol of Tom's soul).

OK, this seems a little bit far fetched (3 souls in one body is defenetly too much! :eyebrows: ), but i really wonder what that little femal voice in Harry's head could mean.

saiber
May 7th, 2005, 3:56 pm
Cheplu, your theories seem very possible. :)

I mean, there is no telling where the story is going to head because there are so many open possibilities when it comes to Harry's eyes.

Perhaps Lily transferred her own eyes via Switching Spell to Harry before she was killed...giving a whole new meaning to "you have your Mother's eyes". I mean it's possible...didn't Neville transfer his own ears onto a cactus one time? Maybe Lily's eyes had some sort of unknown magically ability that we'll soon find out in Book 6. Who knows. :)

Melodious108
May 11th, 2005, 2:12 am
I think his green eyes are merely a sign of his mother in him. The eyes are said to be windows to the soul- well Harry's mother's love is running through Harry's soul. I also wonder if his eyes were always green, or if they turned green after his mother's sacrifice and once the ancient magic was sealed. I wonder...
I think they just show something about him (like how his mother is in him or something)- not some hidden power or something he will be able to do in the future...

I was inspired by the cracking stairs thread & the idea that Petunia might've hidden Lily's wand there. Maybe, your're right that Harry's green eyes show a sign of Lily, so perhaps the wand will choose Harry for his next master (if we assume that Petunia did keep it). Remember Rowling also said that the fact it is good for charm work is also important? Well, we've seen how Lily used it to cast a protection in Harry, one that Voldemort has now. That charm was only meant to be for Harry, as Lily died for him, not Voldemort, so perhaps when Harry uses his mother's wand to duel Voldemort (since he can't use his own), the old magic is in a sense, reawakened. It might be the key element in destroying Voldemort, with the protection will working against Voldemort (like maybe backfire, similar to his Avada Kadavara on Harry, since it is inside him) since he is trying to Harry, whom the charm is actually protecting. I know this probably seem farfetched, but it's an idea...It also explains Dumbledore's twinkle in his eyes when he found out that Voldemort used Harry's blood.

[Edit:] Theory #2...That the charm same as before, is reawakened because Harry is like Lily, and since both Voldemort and Harry has a part of it, it will actually protect both, and by doing that, it actually destroys both -- so no greater harm has one done on the other.

[Edit:] Sorry, people...I keep coming up with a new outcome to fit this theory, because I'm really hazy on that still. Another point is that maybe the protection will work in Harry's favor, since he has the wand that casts it.

singsongmel24
May 11th, 2005, 3:42 am
I agree with you :tu: ,it jsut seems all to possible to happen,well without meaning anything.But then again remember Little old Mark Evans anyone ?

HedwigOwl
May 11th, 2005, 3:54 am
But I cannot feeling that it is Harry's way of looking at the world which sets him apart from others. He has empathy. Like Lily.

I agree, it's likely more about the way Harry views people, than the eye color. When things get serious, Harry manages to care about everyone (even Dudley). And as Dumbledore told him in OoP, Chapter 37:

"You do care," said Dumbledore. He had not flinched or made a single move to stop Harry demolishing his office. His expression was calm, almost detached. "You care so much you feel as though you will bleed to death with the pain of it."

And Dumbledore should know, seeing that he's been keeping a very close watch on Harry for years.

Briar Filth
May 12th, 2005, 5:50 pm
I went through a phase of believing that Harry actually had Lily's eyes, as in, she transformed Harry's eyes into her own eyes (and her eyes would become Harry's eyes.) I have absolutely no idea why she would do this or if it would even work, perhaps it would be part of the protection thingy - but I never understood why Harry had green eyes if James had brown/hazel eyes. According to all that scientific stuff that determines how someone looks on the outside, the brown eye colour is supposed to be the most dominant, and green the most recessive of all. And many characters in the books say things to Harry like 'You have your mother's eyes', 'you've got your mother's eyes' etc etc.

Pretty silly idea really, and sorry if anyone else has voiced this idea before me

ComicBookWorm
May 12th, 2005, 10:14 pm
Hazel is actually very close to green anyway. I don't think hazel is necessary dominant or recessive over green or any other color. My father had hazel eyes and my mother had dark brown eyes. One would assume that the dark brown would dominate, but my brother had hazel and I have dark brown. Besides a person can have a recessive gene and not know it until it is expressed when paired with another recessive gene.

HedwigOwl
May 13th, 2005, 5:57 am
I went through a phase of believing that Harry actually had Lily's eyes, as in, she transformed Harry's eyes into her own eyes (and her eyes would become Harry's eyes.) I have absolutely no idea why she would do this or if it would even work, perhaps it would be part of the protection thingy - but I never understood why Harry had green eyes if James had brown/hazel eyes. According to all that scientific stuff that determines how someone looks on the outside, the brown eye colour is supposed to be the most dominant, and green the most recessive of all. And many characters in the books say things to Harry like 'You have your mother's eyes', 'you've got your mother's eyes' etc etc.

Pretty silly idea really, and sorry if anyone else has voiced this idea before me

Not silly at all. But in scene with the Mirror of Erised, when Harry sees his parents and a whole bunch of relatives, he notices several with the famed green eyes like his mother's.

WoodenCoyote
May 15th, 2005, 4:14 am

Pretty silly idea really, and sorry if anyone else has voiced this idea before meThat's not silly at all - I was thinking the same thing for a while :tu:
We've only heard people say "you have your mother's eyes" not "your eyes are the same color as your mother's" so I was wondering if this was literal

HedwigOwl
May 15th, 2005, 5:17 am
That's not silly at all - I was thinking the same thing for a while :tu:
We've only heard people say "you have your mother's eyes" not "your eyes are the same color as your mother's" so I was wondering if this was literal

I think it could mean both. Here's a quote from SS when Harry first looks in the Mirror of Erised (Chapter 12):

She was a very pretty woman. She had dark red hair and her eyes --- her eyes are just like mine, Harry thought, edging a little closer to the glass. Bright green -- exactly the same shape, but then he noticed that she was crying; smiling, but crying at the same time.

So, we have something from the book that confirms Harry as physically having the same shape/color eyes as Lily. The only evidence we have about Harry's having his mother's eyes as in "seeing as she did", is in his interaction with people, the way he cares about them.

ravenclaw_rox
May 15th, 2005, 7:36 am
ummm wut?

ComicBookWorm
May 15th, 2005, 8:10 am
ummm wut?
Hi, the mods frown on just random posting that don't contribute to the conversation. If the topic in the thread is confusing, just read it a bit to catch on.

meesha1971
May 15th, 2005, 7:41 pm
I started a thread about this because I couldn't find any threads about it. I must not be using the search right. Anyway, I'm going to post it again here because my thread was closed.

I was thinking about why it will be important that Harry has Lily's eyes. I did find a post where someone theorized that maybe Lily was a seer and that got me thinking. What if Harry is a seer? JKR said that there was a lot of foreshadowing in the POA movie towards the last two books. One thing that I noticed was when Harry returned the crystal ball to Trelawney's classroom. He did see something in the crystal ball before she interrupted him with her prophecy. It looked like Sirius saying "Harry Potter". Then I thought of Harry's dreams. Not the ones about Voldemort - I'm not counting those because of their connection with each other - but he has had other dreams that seemed to be prophetic. In PS/SS, on his first night at Hogwarts he has a dream that he forgets the next day.

He was wearing Professor Quirrell’s turban, which kept talking to him, telling him he must transfer to Slytherin at once, because it was his destiny. Harry told the turban he didn’t want to be in Slytherin; it got heavier and heavier; he tried to pull it off but it tightened painfully – and there was Malfoy, laughing at him as he struggled with it – then Malfoy turned into the hook-nosed teacher, Snape, whose laugh became high and cold – there was a burst of green light and Harry woke, sweating and shaking.

Doesn't it seem odd that Harry would dream about Quirrell's turban talking to him when Quirrell was hiding Voldemort under his turban? Of course, we don't know this until the end of the book but when you look back, it seems prophetic.

Melodious108
May 15th, 2005, 9:03 pm
I was thinking about why it will be important that Harry has Lily's eyes. I did find a post where someone theorized that maybe Lily was a seer and that got me thinking. What if Harry is a seer? JKR said that there was a lot of foreshadowing in the POA movie towards the last two books. One thing that I noticed was when Harry returned the crystal ball to Trelawney's classroom. He did see something in the crystal ball before she interrupted him with her prophecy. It looked like Sirius saying "Harry Potter". Then I thought of Harry's dreams. Not the ones about Voldemort - I'm not counting those because of their connection with each other - but he has had other dreams that seemed to be prophetic. In PS/SS, on his first night at Hogwarts he has a dream that he forgets the next day.

Doesn't it seem odd that Harry would dream about Quirrell's turban talking to him when Quirrell was hiding Voldemort under his turban? Of course, we don't know this until the end of the book but when you look back, it seems prophetic.

I think you have a good point. Throughout the story, we've seen how Harry's dreams came into play -- real dreams or not. Although most of them are "visions" from Voldemort, I thought other seemly harmless dreams that he had also meant something. Why include them if they dont? Then again, they could've just meant to forshadow Harry's true visions he has of Voldemort. Remember, we don't find out that connection until book 4/5. I don't think Lily was a seer though. We haven't seen many evidence of that yet, but who knows.

November_Sky
May 15th, 2005, 9:07 pm
I think it's significant in the idea that Harry looks so much like James and has very similar personality. He's brave, troublesome, intelligent, etc. But then you see his eyes that are so much like Lilly's and that sort of represents his heart.

Bella_79
May 19th, 2005, 4:02 pm
I started a thread a while ago about Ch9 in GoF that turned out to be completely and utterly wrong (more apologies to anyone who read that!) but it did stir up something about Harry's eyes... I was thinking that there's more to Harry's green eyes than just being like his mother's.

the colour thing got me thinking, I've always thought there was some connection between Harry's eye colour being the Slytherin house colour, and Voldemort's eye colour being the colour of Gryffindor.

Voldemort is so closely tied to Slytherin and snakes, all of which are green. Also, in OoTP Dumbledore won't look Harry in the eye, and on the one occasion when he does, before Harry and the Weasley's take the portkey back to Grimmauld Place, it is as if Voldemort can see through Harry's eyes because Harry is overcome by the desire to hurt Dumbledore.

Perhaps Harry's eyes are green not only because of Lily's sacrifice (and her genes), but because there's some link to Voldemort?

Legilimens01
May 19th, 2005, 8:27 pm
OMG guys can't you see it? It's right in your face. Ok remember when Harry and Dudley are attacked during chapter one. He dropped his wand but if I remember correctly he yelled out Lumos and the spell actually worked. You might say this is a trivial thing but you know how JK works. As we all know Lily was excellent at Charms so maybe could instruct spell without touching her wand (powerful huh). we don't know what really happened during the night the Potter's were attack. I truly believe that Voldemort didn't knock on the door and say, " He James and Lily grab your wands and get ready to fight." We don't know where the characters were at the time of the attack. Was JAmes reading the newspapare downstairs and Lily upstairs with Harry. That could be a possibility. Maybe Lily don't have time to get her wand and put a charm on Harry. I think if HArry can actually do that it could make him way powerful. BUt I really can't say for sure becasue we need more info........ hurry J.K!!!!!

tambre
June 20th, 2005, 5:11 am
Now, i'm a big supporter of the movies. I feel that if the movie made it too screen then JK gave it her stamp of approval. But, i also believe in the books as they were first; i just think that if something were wonky in the movies and didn't match up right that she'd fix it.

i was watching the third movie again today and it hit me. just how important ARE harry's eyes. and why are they important? everyone says he has lily's eyes and more people think it's the colour that's important. but is it REALLY the colour?

i'm starting to wonder. why would jk allow harrys eyes to stay blue in the movies if it were the colour that was important since harrys eyes are green and look exactly like his mothers. maybe there's something more to harrys eyes than just the colour.

sadly, iono what that is though... i haven't thought that far, but i wanted to just post this idea and see what you all thought :D

PeterWiggin
June 20th, 2005, 5:14 am
hmm...i never noticed the eye color difference, so maybe it is not essential

Ninerings
June 20th, 2005, 5:19 am
Movies are movies... It looked to me like JKR had a big hand in the first two and then kind of stepped back for Azkaban. Look at the casting of Dumbledore and of all the changes. Ie... Hermione's howl, the fact that they are wearing present day street clothes all the time, no mention whatsoever of the Merauders. I think it is a big thing about Harry's eyes. Nearly ALL characters have their eye color mentioned and JKR has said that there is an importance.

Willow0224
June 20th, 2005, 5:23 am
but she does have input when it comes to the movies. If green was so important she would have insisted on it

Gatewood21BG
June 20th, 2005, 5:26 am
I do think eye color will be a big part of HBP and Book 7. It surprises me that Harry's eyes are left blue in the movies.

Anyways, when it comes time for the eyes to be a big part of the story, the movies can do one of 2 things:

1. Change Harry's eyes to green for that movie. This would not be a problem because there is no mention of eye color in the first 3 movies.
2. Change Lily's eye color to blue. Instead of talking about Lily's green eyes, it could be Lily's blue eyes.

Plus, remember that JK is not letting the director of the movies know anything about the plot of the future books. I still think she would have stepped in and said his eyes need to be green but obviously, the director didn't realize this. Oh well...

Ninerings
June 20th, 2005, 5:26 am
I would like to thnk that once Hollywood got their hooks into this series, that much of what she wanted wasn't so important anymore.

Just look at the difference in overall FEEL from the first two to the third.

Then again, I'm color-blind and they look green to me... hahahahaha

Kimagine
June 20th, 2005, 5:27 am
I read an interview with JKR where someone asked about the eyes, and JKR seemed very pleased and told the girl (I am pretty sure) that she was very clever, but did not elaborate.

tambre
June 20th, 2005, 5:28 am
fair enough, but if she didn't like what they were doing she could have said so and changed it. they don't own the books and the idea's, she does. i think she's got a firm control over the movies, and if the eye colour were that important i think she'd make a huge fuss since she's so keen on mentioning them and reinforcing the idea.

eyes are the window to the soul. maybe it has something to do with that.

Rustinpat
June 20th, 2005, 5:34 am
The fact that Harry has Lily's eyes is what is important. It doesn't matter if they are blue, green, orange, red or yellow.

Ninerings
June 20th, 2005, 5:36 am
She could probably intefere to an extent... I am no Hollywood expert, but I think that once a script is ok'd, than what is done is done. JKR seems to like to not give the directors too much to go on. For example.... the proposed graveyard scene and the way Alan Rickman knows about the future of Snape.

The only thing I can gain from this is that the green of Harry's eyes has nothing to do with Avada Kedavra. It will be one of those things that we Potter fans will eat up and say "wow, I should've caught that", but never make the movies like the history of *** Merauders.

tambre
June 20th, 2005, 5:36 am
i know, that's what i've been saying. :D but i'm wondering why you all think they're important :)