Marauder's Map Queries

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Lime_Green
July 27th, 2005, 6:24 am
I don't think that Fred and George were too interested in looking at who Percy and Ron were hanging out with. And I agree, they probably had it memorised, so all they would look at it for was to check if a passageway was still in the same spot, or something like that.

Lucybird
July 27th, 2005, 4:54 pm
I'm Re-reading Poa At The Moment And Something Struck Me, It Says That The People Were Shown As Dots But It Also Says That Harry Could See Mrs Norris Sniffing And Himself Tapping The Witch, But Dots Don't Have Noses Or Arms

siriusfriend
July 27th, 2005, 11:56 pm
ghost? oooh you've given me an idea Ismene! a ghost would definitely be able to, now who do we know that's a troublemaker? PEEVES! I'm so clever. Anyway, Peeves would know, and be friendly with the mauraders, only problem is he'd have to cooperate and I have a feeling he can't do that! Sooo, maybe not a ghosts. But also, you've got House Elves who know every inch of the castle - go the House Elves - and other beings that live within it.

I had thought about Peeves, as well, but he isn't the most helpful of spirits, is he?

For me, the harder question of getting the rooms and secret passages would be the labeling of the people. How would that be done? Its almost like they have a little built in GPS or something. It kind of reminds me of the clock the Weasleys have that tells where all family members are. It would seem that it has to be enchanted in some way that identifies either certain people or people within a certain area, but not both at the same time?

hdhp5
July 28th, 2005, 1:09 am
fred and george, you can't count on them to be observant. and if they could see voldemort, he would be labeled as professor quirrell.

bjorkins
July 28th, 2005, 5:58 am
I'm not so sure of that. With the right spell, the map may well have draw itself, after a head-start (that is, draw the rooms you know, and the secret passage-ways that you don't know about will branch out from them). They only question that raises is how the Mauraders knew what spells to use, to go through the passage-ways. :shrug:
Good point, it is a wonder how they could accumulate so much information about the school in such a short time. I guess if Tom Riddle could find out how to open the Chamber of Secrets, why couldn't the Marauders discover the amount of secret passsages that they did.

OB1
July 28th, 2005, 6:52 am
I'm Re-reading Poa At The Moment And Something Struck Me, It Says That The People Were Shown As Dots But It Also Says That Harry Could See Mrs Norris Sniffing And Himself Tapping The Witch, But Dots Don't Have Noses Or Arms

It's funny because I remember reading that too.

I think thats because the map is so magical, and also because of the way JKR described it, the map most likely isn't just a bunch of dots. The ghosts probably look like ghosts once in a while, you can probaby see stuff like that pop up every once in a while, it's almost like the castle is living inside the Maurader's Map. Do you remember what it looked like on the movie?

Despite all of this, even the way JKR described the map it probably doesn't have any relevance to the plot. Fred and George I don't think used the map much when Ron entered the school, so I think they are guilt free :)

zeroine
July 28th, 2005, 9:10 am
Mauraders Map, so critical, so powerful, so dangerous....

siriusfriend
July 28th, 2005, 3:21 pm
fred and george, you can't count on them to be observant. and if they could see voldemort, he would be labeled as professor quirrell.
Of course he would have been labeled as such since he was really piggy-backing on Quirrell's body, but what I am refering to is Peter Pettigrew and later the Barty Crouch incident. If the people don't know who these people really are, how does the map know?

I guess when I read that I thought of Harry as making inferences. He could really only see dots but he know what was there and what the person (or cat) was most likely to be doing.

Lupin1113
July 28th, 2005, 5:03 pm
Of course he would have been labeled as such since he was really piggy-backing on Quirrell's body, but what I am refering to is Peter Pettigrew and later the Barty Crouch incident. If the people don't know who these people really are, how does the map know?
Well, Fred and George would have been looking for people who would get them into trouble and there's no possible way for them to know every student's name. Odds are that they looked at the map to sneak out, saw no one, and closed the map. They may not even have know about Peter Pettigrew to be surprised if they saw him.

Harry_rockz
July 28th, 2005, 8:15 pm
I agree, and I'm not sure that they really used the map that much any more when Ron came to Hogwarts, They had probably memorized it already, so what was the use? I also think that it would be almost impossible to know ALL 1000 students names that attended the school at the time, But I'm almost positive that If the had seen someone they knew wasn't right, they would've told someone, I don't think that they'd put peoples lives in danger, or better yet, their own...

siriusfriend
July 28th, 2005, 8:18 pm
Well, Fred and George would have been looking for people who would get them into trouble and there's no possible way for them to know every student's name. Odds are that they looked at the map to sneak out, saw no one, and closed the map. They may not even have know about Peter Pettigrew to be surprised if they saw him.

I understand that competely, you can't possibly expect the twins to recognize and odd name or two, but what I don't entirely understand is how the map itself knows...

Lucybird
July 28th, 2005, 8:57 pm
I have another one! When Lupin was looking at the map before he went down to the shreking shack why didn't he notice the two Harrys and Hermiones, especialy when they were quite near to each other (outside and inside Hagrids hut for example) and would have easily been in eye range. Or do you think he did notice, just didn't say anything?

Lupin1113
July 28th, 2005, 9:21 pm
I understand that competely, you can't possibly expect the twins to recognize and odd name or two, but what I don't entirely understand is how the map itself knows...
It must be charmed in such a way that it always recognizes a person's true identity. Pettigrew was always Pettigrew even if his physical form changed. Same with the fake Mad-Eye Moody. After thinking about it, it must have taken some pretty advanced magic to create that map.

I have another one! When Lupin was looking at the map before he went down to the shreking shack why didn't he notice the two Harrys and Hermiones, especialy when they were quite near to each other (outside and inside Hagrids hut for example) and would have easily been in eye range. Or do you think he did notice, just didn't say anything?
He may not have been surprised at 2 Hermiones because some of the Professors knew she was using one. Maybe he figured that since Hermione rarely breaks the rules, especially Ministry-set ones, she must have had a really good reason for bringing Harry. But, I think Peter would have stolen all his attention - I mean, he's supposed to have been murdered and he's wandering around???

Lucybird
July 29th, 2005, 10:39 am
Also why didn't he (Lupin) notice Wormtail when the trio went to Hagrid's cabin, I imagine t as quite a small place so I would think Lupin would see everybody in the room

siriusfriend
July 29th, 2005, 2:42 pm
Also why didn't he (Lupin) notice Wormtail when the trio went to Hagrid's cabin, I imagine t as quite a small place so I would think Lupin would see everybody in the room

That does seem odd, but do we actually know that Lupin was looking at the map at this point?

Raisildur
July 29th, 2005, 2:55 pm
maybe the marauders map doesnt show people that have travelled through time such as what harry and hermione did, but i agree, its very weird :D

Lucybird
July 29th, 2005, 7:55 pm
That does seem odd, but do we actually know that Lupin was looking at the map at this point?

Well he said he was looking out to see if thy went down to Hagrids, so if he knew the time of the execution he would have been looking just before

ElementHPgirl
July 29th, 2005, 8:03 pm
Yeah, I don't think they really examined the map and looked at all the people's dots. they probably just looked at the one's around where they wanted to go to and since Scabbers (Pettigrew) was usualy with Ron, and they never used the map around Ron, they probably didn't ever really notice that it said "Pettigrew". Or else, they didn't realise the Pettigrew was s'posed to be dead. Because at first, even harry had never heard of Pettigrew and it could just be some student. I'm sure Fred and George don't know EVERYONE in the school.

~Alex :evil:

nikkia77
August 1st, 2005, 1:35 pm
how did Harry get the map back in OotP after the fake Moody borrowed it in GoF?

Ageaol
August 2nd, 2005, 3:27 am
He supposedly went to Moody's office at the end of the year and got it even though it wasn't written in the book.

Armus
August 2nd, 2005, 11:28 pm
Hi,

Just thought about this one...

According to JKR herself, about a thousand students attend at Hogwarts. Now the Maurader's Map, if I'm not mistaken, show everyone inside the castle represented by a floating name-tag. Now, that means about a thousand floating name-tags on a piece of paper. Even if you know who you were looking for it would be impossible to make anything out of it with all those name-tags floating around! ...or?

ateenangel
August 3rd, 2005, 12:31 am
I agree. Hogwarts is huge and in the 6th book Harry mentions how hard it is to find certain people.

PrincessLily
August 3rd, 2005, 12:39 am
Yes, but if you remember when Harry was first shown the map by the Weasly twins in PoA he himself was not on it. He showed up on it the second time that he looked at it, not the first. So maybe the map only shows those who have either touched it, or the one who is using it fears will see/find them. Becuase in all honesty if it showed every single one of the people in the castle at every single moment it wouldn't do you much good because there would be too many people on it to see what you really needed to see.

napolian
August 3rd, 2005, 12:47 am
the map shows the necssary people on it, it showed everyone in the school when harry was looking for someone,like when he went to hogsmade trough the hump backed witch the first time he suddenly appeared on the map saying the password. i red this somewhere off of jkr's site.

elish
August 3rd, 2005, 12:52 am
yea but if that is the case why , in the 6th book would harry find it so hard to find someone if for example it only shows the necassary people on it?

Sirius21
August 3rd, 2005, 12:56 am
i get what u mean, thats what i thought, BUT, in a recent interview JKR said she got it wrong, there was about 40 people in each year, which would explain why like in first years when everyone took same classes, they shared it with a diferent house

Ocelot
August 3rd, 2005, 1:03 am
Maybe it's like the Room of Requirement; It only shows the nametag for the person you WISH to see.

Armus
August 3rd, 2005, 12:20 pm
Yeah, but he didn't really wish to see Peter Pettigrew in HP:PoA, still he saw him....

Lucybird
August 4th, 2005, 12:54 pm
He supposedly went to Moody's office at the end of the year and got it even though it wasn't written in the book.

Yes, that's right JK has told us this on her website www.jkrowling.com

daddylonglegs
August 9th, 2005, 2:24 am
if voldermort came up his name would have been under TOM RIDDLE as the map shows the truth, like bart crouch, and peter pettigrrew etc. voldermort may not be known to many as tom riddle. as for pettigrew the probably didn't notice, after all hogwarts is a big school and if they did see it i don't think they would have made the connection. also why would they be checking to see where their brother was on the map, or who was in the dorm or the common room? they would have had their mind focused on something else, like where the teachers where, they probably only focused on their destination. fred and george i don't think would ever be followers of voldermort, their pranks are just fun and not harmful. also they are just too cool.

b3belamb
August 9th, 2005, 9:00 pm
Maybe the map doesn't show Lord V. because he's was not exactly a "human" at that time and he was hidden in a person's turban. Fred and George probably didn't see Wormtail/Peter Pettigrew because they weren't looking for him and they weren't looking at peoples' names. They seemed to have used the map for Hogwarts itself and the its hidden passage ways. After memorizing the passage ways, they give it to Harry who has a different use of the map. Even if they did see Peter Pettigrew's name, I don't think they would really know who he is. They would probably think he was a student or something.

PhoenixSong27
August 9th, 2005, 9:05 pm
i think fred a george didn't search the map for ppl like harry did. they prob. just made sure the way they were going was clear then put the map away.

Lux_Bones
August 9th, 2005, 9:11 pm
Fred and George dont look at the map every secound, and harry doesnt ether. You only use it when you need it. No one knew where the chamber was, so it was un plottable. Im shure fred and george had looked for it, but i think as soon as anyone went into the chamber they disapeerd off the map. they had no idea their brother harry, and lockhart where going into the chamber, so they had no reason to look for them.
they didnt no about the stone ether, so they wouldnt have been looking at the map then, again, they were sleeping. it is possible they could have seen it all, but they probably just werent looking.

BOOK_a_HOLIC
November 9th, 2005, 6:02 am
Maybe it's like the Room of Requirement; It only shows the nametag for the person you WISH to see.

then how would it be hard to find people

I n the fourth book harry doesnt see while the imposter moody was in snapes office the real moody was in his office. why did harry not catch this?

RavenclawWit
November 9th, 2005, 6:06 am

I n the fourth book harry doesnt see while the imposter moody was in snapes office the real moody was in his office. why did harry not catch this?

My guess is that the fake Moody (aka Barty Crouch Jr. ) made real Moody unplottable somehow. Also, if I remember correctly, the only reason Harry noticed the real Moody was in Snape's office was because he wanted to know where Snape was so he didn't get caught roaming.

Colonel_Fubster
November 9th, 2005, 9:35 am
From Rowling's official site, FAQs:Why didn't Fred and George notice Peter Pettigrew on the Marauder's Map before ("Prisoner of Azkaban")?
It would not have mattered if they had. Unless somebody was very familiar with the story of Sirius Black (and after all, Sirius was not Mr. and Mrs. Weasley's best friend – indeed, they never knew him until after he escaped from Azkaban), Fred and George would be unlikely to know or remember that Peter Pettigrew was the person Sirius had (supposedly) murdered. Even if Fred and George HAD heard the story at some point, why would they assume that the 'Peter Pettigrew' they occasionally saw moving around the map was, in fact, the man murdered years before?

Fred and George used the map for their own mischief-making, so they concentrated, naturally enough, on those portions of the map where they were planning their next misdeeds. And finally, you must not forget that hundreds of little dots are moving around this map at any given time… Fred and George did not know everyone in school by name, so a single unfamiliar name was unlikely to stand out.
I n the fourth book harry doesnt see while the imposter moody was in snapes office the real moody was in his office. why did harry not catch this? Harry had no reason to look for Moody. The map showed that the person in Snape's office was Bartemius Crouch. Harry assumed that it was Crouch Snr, since he didn't know there was a Crouch Jr.

smartypants
November 9th, 2005, 4:24 pm

The real Moody was probably not in the office anyway. He was kept captured in some sort of basment which is accessible through the trunk in Moodys office. However, it is not located in the office itself, and hence, he would not have shown up on the map.

But if he showed up, then it wouldn't matter, as people pointed out.

cravensvt
January 11th, 2006, 2:59 am
I have been wondering for a while, how did the twins figure out how it worked, did the map sense who they were, and what the wanted and show them, or is that a mistake made by Rowling?

TheMagicQuill
January 11th, 2006, 3:31 am
The map was for anyone who had a sense of troublemaking, i guess the map knew what they were up to.

AngelinaJohnson
January 11th, 2006, 3:42 am
I think it must have been passed onto the twins by somebody who told them how it worked. I'm not sure who that somebody would have been, but it may have been an older student who saw their troublemaking potential :p , or maybe a friend of their parents from the Order.

...or else somebody who suspected they might pass it onto Harry (this might be reading in too much though).

I don't think they would have worked it out all by themselves.

iamaunicorn
January 11th, 2006, 3:46 am
They took the map from Filch's office in their first year. Lupin once said that the map was dangerous because the writers of it would want to lure Harry out of the castle. I think the makers of the map would do something simmilar and egg on anyone who wanted to use it so all of their secrets wouldnt go undiscovered by other Hogwarts students.

Hp_Dreamer120
January 11th, 2006, 3:51 am
I think it must have been passed onto the twins by somebody who told them how it worked. I'm not sure who that somebody would have been, but it may have been an older student who saw their troublemaking potential :p , or maybe a friend of their parents from the Order.

...or else somebody who suspected they might pass it onto Harry (this might be reading in too much though).

I don't think they would have worked it out all by themselves.

The only thing is that it really couldnt have been passed down to them, becasue JKR says that they "knicked it from Flilch" i have absolutley no clue how they worked it though!

cravensvt
January 11th, 2006, 4:19 am
I don't think the map would have just told them that, I think that it was a mistake, because the Marauders might have thought it would be funny but they weren't stupid, they wouldn't make it that easy for someone to figure it out, just in case it was someone that they didn't like

nasidney
January 11th, 2006, 4:25 am
If Snape can goad the map into insulting him, then the twins would probably able to figure out how to get it to reveal its secrets. They are very clever and talented, when they put their mind up to it, and a file that says highly dangerous. Please you know they would work on that map till its mystery was solved.

cravensvt
January 11th, 2006, 4:37 am
yeah they might for the simple reason that Flilch thought it was bad

Crookshanks44
January 11th, 2006, 5:21 pm
Well, if I saw a "Highly Dangerous," drawer I'd be straight in there, and wouldn't rest til I got the secret out and this is just me, think what the twins would do!

lancerevo
January 11th, 2006, 11:39 pm
If Snape can goad the map into insulting him, then the twins would probably able to figure out how to get it to reveal its secrets. They are very clever and talented, when they put their mind up to it, and a file that says highly dangerous. Please you know they would work on that map till its mystery was solved.
Yeah I agree they just tapped it with there wand and said things

DrJ
March 7th, 2006, 4:10 pm
I apologize if this is covered somewhere else. I searched but couldn't find anything - but then this might have been discussed quite a few years ago.

I am rereading the books with my daughter now as she gets older. As I reread PoA I was surprised I had not noticed this before, but did Lupin know that Harry and Hermione had time travelled? He says he watched them go to Hagrid's on the map. He should have then seen them twice on the map. Snape see's the Marauders Map in Lupin's office and comes to the shack as a result. Did he see the second Harry and Hermione too? Were they aware of what they were seeing? Did they use this knowledge to help guide events that night?

AllanTheGreat
March 7th, 2006, 4:47 pm
I don't think the map would have just told them that, I think that it was a mistake, because the Marauders might have thought it would be funny but they weren't stupid, they wouldn't make it that easy for someone to figure it out, just in case it was someone that they didn't like

But the lucky coincidence was that the people who found it are people exactly like them, the pranksters of the school. Fred and George are very ingenious, so I think they tried different phrases and the map responded slightly the closer they got to the actual phrase.

For example: "I promise I'm up to no good", and the map flashes a bit of ink from the center and it disappears again. The same with 'Mischief managed', only that the closer they got to the phrase, the more the ink disappeared. They must've spent many a restless night in the common room trying to decipher what the exact phrase was. :p

I think it would be very interesting if Jo told us exactly how it happened. :)

Nicole
March 7th, 2006, 6:13 pm
He says he watched them go to Hagrid's on the map. He should have then seen them twice on the map.Suppose Lupin began tracking the trio from the Gryffindor common room. He is intent on watching their progress, not paying attention to other dots (he has already located the people he wants to keep tabs on)...he doesn't see the names of the little dots that run across the entrance hall to the broom closet. He follows the trio's movements to Hagrid's hut, while H&H(2) are still in the broom closet. Again, he isn't watching any dots but those that are in Hagrid's hut (which he can't apparently see there or he would have noticed Peter's presence much sooner)--he's waiting for them to re-appear. So he doesn't concern himself with two dots running across the grounds to the forest via the greenhouses and skirting the Whomping Willow. The extra H&H stay within the trees...and it seems that as long as they didn't re-enter "the grounds", the Map would not betray their presence in the Forest.
Snape see's the Marauders Map in Lupin's office and comes to the shack as a result. Did he see the second Harry and Hermione too?
The extra H&H remained in the Forest, so he shouldn't have been able to see them...

smartypants
March 7th, 2006, 7:16 pm
I apologize if this is covered somewhere else. I searched but couldn't find anything - but then this might have been discussed quite a few years ago.

I am rereading the books with my daughter now as she gets older. As I reread PoA I was surprised I had not noticed this before, but did Lupin know that Harry and Hermione had time travelled? He says he watched them go to Hagrid's on the map. He should have then seen them twice on the map. Snape see's the Marauders Map in Lupin's office and comes to the shack as a result. Did he see the second Harry and Hermione too? Were they aware of what they were seeing? Did they use this knowledge to help guide events that night?

This is indeed a classic question, discussed to death. There are many different answers, that focus in on two possibilities:

1. That the map did not show the second Harry and Hermione for some weird reason.
2. That Lupin simply didn't notice that there were two Harrys and two Hermionies on the map.

Which ever solution you choose is up to you. :)

DrJ
March 7th, 2006, 8:57 pm
Suppose Lupin began tracking the trio from the Gryffindor common room. He is intent on watching their progress, not paying attention to other dots (he has already located the people he wants to keep tabs on)...he doesn't see the names of the little dots that run across the entrance hall to the broom closet. He follows the trio's movements to Hagrid's hut, while H&H(2) are still in the broom closet. Again, he isn't watching any dots but those that are in Hagrid's hut (which he can't apparently see there or he would have noticed Peter's presence much sooner)--he's waiting for them to re-appear. So he doesn't concern himself with two dots running across the grounds to the forest via the greenhouses and skirting the Whomping Willow. The extra H&H stay within the trees...and it seems that as long as they didn't re-enter "the grounds", the Map would not betray their presence in the Forest.

Plausible I suppose, but I am a not convinced that Lupin would not have noticed the H&H in the broom closet. They were mere feet apart, which would have been what, maybe mm or cm apart on the map? Plus, the visual system responds to sudden changes and movements in the peripheral visual fields. When the two dots suddenly appeared in the hall, just in front of where H,H,R were heading his eyes would have been attracted to them. I think he must have seen the extra H&H. I think he must have known what was going on and perhaps had a hand in the outcome of events as a result.

Here's my take on things. I doubt Lupin is as careless as he appears to be that night. He forgets to take his anti-wolfy potion. How could he? He surely must know his calendar better than anyone. Yet he simply forgets to take it? Then he leaves the map activated in his unlocked office. Careless beyond imagine. His carelessnes leads pretty directly to Pettigrew's escape. And, to top it off, he runs, in wolfen form, directly at the hiding place of H&H in the forest - perhaps intentionally? The sequence of events is surprising. The argument will be that he was caught up in the emotion of seeing Pettigrew alive on the map. But if he was watching the trio as closely as he implies he was then he would have noticed Pettigrew on the map when Hermione found Scabbers in Hagrid's cabin. Why didn't he react sooner? Why didn't he try to get to the trio until after he saw Sirius taking Ron and Pettigrew to the shack? This whole thing has me thinking that our Professor Lupin may be more than he appears to be. :evil: I guess I'll have to reread OotP now to see if there is anything more in there.

Originally posted by smartypants
This is indeed a classic question, discussed to death. There are many different answers, that focus in on two possibilities:

1. That the map did not show the second Harry and Hermione for some weird reason.
2. That Lupin simply didn't notice that there were two Harrys and two Hermionies on the map.

As for the argument that for some magical weird reason the second H&H would not appear on the map - well I can't really argue against magical weird things, anything is possible. However, all indications are that both pairs are real as real can be. They don't appear to be "halves" of the original (which might appear on the map as fainter dots??). They can see each other. They can interact with each other. They can conjure a patronus to save the other. Why shouldn't their magical aura be detected by the map too?

Anyways, thanks for the input.

Vampirina08
March 17th, 2006, 11:43 pm
my brother thought up this question a while ago

How did Fred and George learn to work the mauraders map?

it obviously doesn't come with instructions, when Snape tried to figure it out he got insulted, Filch is a squib so he couldn't know how to work it, And they couldn't ask any of the mauraders how to work it!

And i doubt they just figured that pointing at the map and saying "I solemly swear that i am up to no good" would do anything.

So how did they figure it out?

Vita
March 17th, 2006, 11:44 pm
They stole it from Filch's office in there first year. The map does respond to other commands (insulting snape for example) The map probably knew that the twins would use the map for its intended purpose and reveiled the phrase.

srikanth108
April 20th, 2006, 3:36 pm
ANY ONE CLARIFY MY DOUBT:
DOES FRED AND GEORGE POSSES Marauders MAP IN BOOK 1.
IF SO WHY CANNOT THEY SEE HIM ON THE MAP WHILE HE WAS HIDING BEHIND THE TURBON OF QUIRELL ?
MEAN WHILE HARRY POTTER OBSERVES WORMTAIL IN THE MAP EVEN HE IS IN THE FORM OF RAT.
WHATS THE REASON?

unconvinced
April 20th, 2006, 3:43 pm
Perhaps, as his body wasn't there he didn't show up, or, as is the case with Wormtail on the map, the twins were to tied up causing trouble to notice.

By the way using block capitols is on a par with shouting in a small room and the mods don't seem to like it ;)

ellie1015
April 20th, 2006, 3:44 pm
My guess- maybe because Voldemort wasn't really alive? Maybe because he was only possessing Quirell, he didn't have a body on his own. Just my guesses.

Artemis_Fowl_2
April 20th, 2006, 3:52 pm
That brings about another question. If Voldemort were in Hogwarts and showed up on the map, then what name would be on the map? Would it be "Tom Riddle" because that's his original name, or would it be "Dark Lord" or "Lord Voldemort?"

nirvanamuse
April 20th, 2006, 3:57 pm
i am pretty sure that voldermort is smart enough to stop himself showing up on a map. then again im probibly going to be quoted wrong.

SusanBones
April 20th, 2006, 4:19 pm
Ghosts show up on the Marauders Map, don't they? Maybe the makers of the Marauders Map did not program it to show "soul pieces". The Room of Requirement doesn't show up either, nor do house elves.

skippaduu
April 20th, 2006, 4:38 pm
ANY ONE CLARIFY MY DOUBT:
DOES FRED AND GEORGE POSSES Marauders MAP IN BOOK 1.
IF SO WHY CANNOT THEY SEE HIM ON THE MAP WHILE HE WAS HIDING BEHIND THE TURBON OF QUIRELL ?
MEAN WHILE HARRY POTTER OBSERVES WORMTAIL IN THE MAP EVEN HE IS IN THE FORM OF RAT.
WHATS THE REASON?

i think albus dumbledore said that there's only a few who knows that lord voldemort is tom riddle.
the marauders map prolly shows the persons with their real names, so that it would show "tom riddle"
fred & george propably didn't know who tom riddle is and might have thought he was just an older student

dungeonguard
April 20th, 2006, 4:57 pm
Well, my guess is the reason behind Fred and George's unseeing of Voldemort is because Voldemort took control of Quirrel's mind and body. Since he didn't have a body of his own, it was impossible to spot him on the map.

RonShudntDie
April 20th, 2006, 7:58 pm
anyway, im pretty sure that fred and george were only using the map for sneaking around and finding secret passageways - the map shows hundreds of names (the whole school, all the teachers etc!) and if they werent looking for something strange, it would be very coincidental to notice it. i know harry does but that was in the dead of night when no one else was around.

besides, i don't think the map shows soul pieces, its shows ghosts right? and they don't have souls. so theres ur answer :)

SarahSue0808
April 20th, 2006, 8:16 pm
If he did show up on the map, I'm sure Fred and George wouldn't notice it. For one thing, as others have said, he would probably show up as Tom Riddle. Beyond that, so many people are on the map it is doubtful that one name would stand out. Think of how much trouble Harry had finding Malfoy when he was looking for him.

Although, it is curious to wonder what name he would show up under. My gut feeling is Tom Riddle, though I don't know why, especially since Crouch Jr. Only showed up as Bartemius Crouch, not Bartemius Crouch Jr....interesting...

silver ink pot
April 20th, 2006, 8:16 pm
It's an interesting question . . .

I think only Quirrel's name would show up, but if two names did show up, Tom Riddle would be the one. "Lord Voldemort" isn't really his name.

Off-Topic but interesting: I think Tom Riddle/Voldemort would be able to "open" the Marauder's Map because he would be "up to no good" - that's for sure. :)

nirvanamuse
April 20th, 2006, 8:18 pm
i am pretty sure that voldermort is smart enough to stop himself showing up on a map. then again im probibly going to be quoted wrong.

i repeat my further statement:p

Books_4_eva
April 20th, 2006, 8:22 pm
well woulden't he show up as tom riddle. For one they didn't know then that voldermort was once tom riddle, also there are a lot of people on that map so maybe they just missed it (kind of the same thing with wormtail).
Though if they had noticed it they probably would have found it funny that Quirrel was being followed. hay maybe it showed the names together so they also might of though quirrel had a long name or something like that :D

Tane
April 20th, 2006, 8:34 pm
Fred and George where not looking for Quirrell so they probably did not notice him carrying Voldemort around. Fred and George have a one track mind, cause as much may hem as possible and hence probably only used it when they were up to no good and hence too pre-occupied in what they where trying to do rather than where Quirrell was.

SarahSue0808
April 20th, 2006, 8:38 pm
I don't think Voldemort would be able to stop himself showing up on the map...he doesn't even know it exists.

silver ink pot
April 20th, 2006, 9:47 pm
Fred and George where not looking for Quirrell so they probably did not notice him carrying Voldemort around. Fred and George have a one track mind, cause as much may hem as possible and hence probably only used it when they were up to no good and hence too pre-occupied in what they where trying to do rather than where Quirrell was.
I agree - it's like Peter Pettigrew. As JKR said about that - Fred and George didn't know who Pettigrew was, so didn't notice him out of hundreds on the map. They wouldn't know who Riddle was either.

DarkDaysAhead
April 21st, 2006, 9:31 am
Being that Voldemort was "with" Quirrell that first year, we don't know if the map would have even shown his presence. As for Sirius, he wasn't actually in the castle that much or that long. The chances of them having the map out, seeing him, and instantly remembering and recognizing the name are extremely slim. And, finally, Wormtail...that one is interesting but not unexplainable. Everyone thought Wormtail had died a decade prior to Harry's arrival at Hogwarts. Fred and George, first of all, wouldn't see his name and think, "Hey, that's that guy everyone thinks is dead!" Secondly, they probably didn't use the map much after the first year or two as they would have used it so often that they wouldn't need it anymore thus them giving it to Harry his third year. If they were to use it, they'd probably check out what they needed and then put it away. Harry only saw Wormtail on the map because it was still new and fascinating to him and was thus checking it out at a time when spotting an individual was easier.

HermioneRox11
April 21st, 2006, 9:34 am
I agree - it's like Peter Pettigrew. As JKR said about that - Fred and George didn't know who Pettigrew was, so didn't notice him out of hundreds on the map. They wouldn't know who Riddle was either.

I agree that Fred and George didn't know who Peter Pettigrew, Tom Riddle or even Sirius Black were. So, they didn't think it important that they were on the map.

charlienana
April 21st, 2006, 2:53 pm
I agree that Fred and George didn't know who Peter Pettigrew, Tom Riddle or even Sirius Black were. So, they didn't think it important that they were on the map.

fred and george would know who sirius black was, afterall he was plastered all over wizard and muggle news not to mention their were posters of him everywhere.

Artaxerxes
April 21st, 2006, 3:00 pm
If you ask me it would not have shown "Tom Riddle" at all as he wasn't his true form or even a whole form, he lived off another. And yes they probably thought (if they ever saw him on the map) that "Peter Pettigrew" was just some student in the school.

silver ink pot
April 21st, 2006, 3:05 pm
I think these questions are part of the reason JKR postponed the Marauder's Map until Book 3 - the other reason being the whole Marauder's backstory with Lupin, Sirius, James and Peter.

In Book One, Harry hears Quirrel talking to himself in an empty room, and wonders if Snape has been in there with him. If he had the map, either only Quirrel would show up, or Quirrel and Tom Riddle both, or even worse, Quirrel and "Lord Voldemort" might show up on the map. :scared: After that, there wouldn't have been a plot for Book One.

In Book 2, Harry might have looked at the map and seen Ginny talking to "Tom Riddle" - since ghosts can show up, the "entity" in the map might have also, since it is a Horcrux, although actually I doubt that. But still, without the Map in Book 2, the whole question doesn't even come up.

English_Rose
May 9th, 2006, 8:07 pm
I posted this on another thread but apparently i have to move here ?? so for a second time here goes:

If i remember correctly Lupin came to the shreiking shack after examining the marauders map and seeing sirius drag Ron and Pettigrew into the whoomping willow. surely two lone dots hiding out in the forbidden forest labelled 'Harry Potter' and 'Hermione Granger' would have jumped out at him, especially when Harry and Hermione are also following Ron and Sirius into the whoompin willow. its understandable that Snape would have missed them as he only glanced at the map before following Lupin, but Lupin was examining the map. surely he should have seen them?

Im sorry if you've talked about this already, but i really couldnt be bothered to read 24 pages of posts to find out!

BurrowGhoul
May 9th, 2006, 8:13 pm
I'll join you from that other thread!

I don't think the Forbidden Forest shows up on the map. If Lupin had looked before they went into the forest, I'd think he would have seen both sets of H&H, but he looked after they'd already gone in.

And, since it was brought up on the other thread...

While Crouch Sr. was in the forest and Jr. saw him, I contend that he was watching for his father because Wormtail had owled him to say he'd escaped, and didn't actually see him until he'd stepped out to the edge of the forest to talk to Harry and Krum.

Nicole
May 17th, 2006, 3:19 am
Please continue discussion in version 2 (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=95745), thank you. :)