Unfogging the Half-Blood Prince Cover Art

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Morgoth
March 8th, 2005, 12:37 pm
Hello all,

I've received two Owls today regarding NBCs The Today Show revealing the covering artwork for the Half-Blood Prince this morning, so we'll use this thread to discuss and speculate what it all means. If anyone can post an image as and when the cover art appears online that'll be groovy.

Thanks

Mundungus Fletc
March 8th, 2005, 12:39 pm
here are the British covers from Bloomsbury

WoodenCoyote
March 8th, 2005, 12:41 pm
That's interesting, both the Brittish and American covers are a scene of Harry and presumably Dumbledore.

whizbang121
March 8th, 2005, 12:43 pm
Wow! Where did you find them? If I hadn't watched the 11 oclock news last night, I'd have missed this completely? No fanfare?

The American is very green and is Dumbledore and Harry apparently looking into a pensieve. Couldn't see and background details on the front as on previous Grand Pre covers. Wonder if they'll show the back.

Ali
March 8th, 2005, 12:43 pm
Wow, sweet. :D

Morgoth
March 8th, 2005, 12:45 pm
Very nice artwork!!

Boston_Rob_Rox
March 8th, 2005, 12:46 pm
Wow! The American cover looks cool! What a surprise! I had no clue it was coming and just happened to catch it! All green with Dumbledore and Harry looking down into something that looks like it could be a pensieve. The text is purple.

Mundungus Fletc
March 8th, 2005, 12:46 pm
The link to Bloomsbury is here (http://www.bloomsbury.com/info/bloomsnews.asp)

WoodenCoyote
March 8th, 2005, 12:47 pm
Wow! Where did you find them? If I hadn't watched the 11 oclock news last night, I'd have missed this completely? No fanfare?

The American is very green and is Dumbledore and Harry apparently looking into a pensieve. Couldn't see and background details on the front as on previous Grand Pre covers. Wonder if they'll show the back.
It might not have been a pensive. The light coming from the basin was green, not silver. Hmm, whatever it is, I wonder why its on the podium..

jopotter
March 8th, 2005, 12:52 pm
The adult version of the HBP cover (very clear picture):

http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/images/2005/03/adulthbpbloomsbury.html

The book on the cover is "Advance Potion Making" by Tiberus Borag (not very clear, I think that's what it says).

Mundungus Fletc
March 8th, 2005, 12:56 pm
And the leaky cauldron child's cover hi res picture here (http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/images/2005/03/childhbpbloomsbury.html)

WoodenCoyote

The book on the cover is "Advance Potion Making" by Tiberus Borag (not very clear, I think that's what it says).
Maybe they're brewing a potion of some sort on the American cover then, if potions are a focus..

Ali
http://scholastic.com/harrypotter/ for the US version.

Morgoth
March 8th, 2005, 12:59 pm
Perhaps the green light is "The Power" that Harry has and he doesn't know he has or he does know but isn't sure how to use it or maybe not. Hey I'm good at this theory making stuff...

Crookshanks800
March 8th, 2005, 1:00 pm
Scholastic put out a news release today. See http://www.scholastic.com/aboutscholastic/news/harrypotter6cover.htm

It says ~ The cover of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is drawn in tones of eerie greens with purple shadows incorporated into the background. It depicts 16 -year-old Harry looking very attentive and Dumbledore with his hand extended as they look into a basin from which a mysterious green light is emanating.

“In creating the Harry Potter artwork, I try to bring a certain amount of realism and believability to the characters and setting, but still add an element of wonder and the unknown,” said Mary GrandPré. “For the cover of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, the mood of the art is truly eerie. I wanted the colors to be strong and I chose upward lighting and dramatic shadows to convey a kind of surreal place and time. It is an honor to illustrate for such an amazing writer as J.K. Rowling. She gives me, as an illustrator, so much to work with.”

To see the cover, go to http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20050308/NYTU105)

Corbin Dallas
March 8th, 2005, 1:06 pm
could that be a Pensieve?

filius
March 8th, 2005, 1:07 pm
Perhaps the green light is "The Power" that Harry has and he doesn't know he has or he does know but isn't sure how to use it or maybe not. Hey I'm good at this theory making stuff...
Looks like Dumbledore's pensieve has grown algae to me.

Lumina
March 8th, 2005, 1:07 pm
Advanced potion making? Well, I think we can presume Harry did just fine with his OWL...

Ali
March 8th, 2005, 1:08 pm
could that be a Pensieve?
I was actually thinking the same thing. Hmm, maybe... they are going to use the pensive to get to know about the Half-Blood Prince's past or something?

jopotter
VERY interesting. It seems to me that Dumbledore and Harry will be transferred back in time (that's what always happens when Harry plays ard with the pensieve) by using a different kind of pensieve, more complex and powerful, but how Advanced Potion fits into this I have no idea.

filius
And the leaky cauldron child's cover hi res picture here (http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/images/2005/03/childhbpbloomsbury.html)
Thank you thank you thank you!

WoodenCoyote
Looks like Dumbledore's pensieve has grown algae to me.
Maybe its some really old, funky pea soup... :rotfl:
Wait, if its Dumbledore's pensieve, why aren't they in his office? And what's with the pedestal?

crookshanksGuy
March 8th, 2005, 1:09 pm
For the first time, the British Artwork beats the Scholastic version.

The British one is more exciting, more action, whereas, the American version is rather... um... static compared to the Brithsh one.

PS: A larger version of the HPB American cover can be found here (http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/images/2005/03/scholhbpcover.html).

Leaky's the Best!

Corbin Dallas
March 8th, 2005, 1:11 pm
I was actually thinking the same thing. Hmm, maybe... they are going to use the pensive to get to know about the Half-Blood Prince's past or something?
No now I think Snape is the HBP because of the adult version
those usually get to the point of the title
DD and Harry could be learning about GG I think
a possibilty maybe anyway...

filius
March 8th, 2005, 1:12 pm
Maybe its some really old, funky pea soup... :rotfl:
Wait, if its Dumbledore's pensieve, why aren't they in his office? And what's with the pedestal?
You can't really tell because of the mist. The mysterious Fungal Mist!

whizbang121
March 8th, 2005, 1:12 pm
I don't know about anyone else, but firefox just totally crashed on me. :(

Anyway, I've been playing with the bloomsbury covers Mundungus put up. I think the book on the adult version is titled "Ancient Pensieve Making"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v687/Lumos121/hp6_adult_72bigger.jpg

Corbin Dallas
March 8th, 2005, 1:13 pm
whiz see a better pic in the JKsite thread posted by me :D

crookshanksGuy
March 8th, 2005, 1:15 pm
I don't know about anyone else, but firefox just totally crashed on me. :(

Anyway, I've been playing with the bloomsbury covers Mundungus put up. I think the book on the adult version is titled "Ancient Pensieve Making"

No, It says "Advanced Potion-Making" by Tillius (or something like that) Boroag.

Check out the high-res version at Leaky (http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/images/2005/03/adulthbpbloomsbury.html).

EDIT: Just for everybody's knowledge, The Leaky Cauldron has all three covers (American, British Child, and British Adult) high-res.

Check them out:

American (http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/images/2005/03/scholhbpcover.html)
Brtish Child (http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/images/2005/03/childhbpbloomsbury.html)
British Adult (http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/images/2005/03/adulthbpbloomsbury.html)

Thank You, Leaky!

filius
March 8th, 2005, 1:15 pm
On both covers (childrens; UK,US) Dumbledore and Harry are together. I would suppose they are going to team up to do....something?

Corbin Dallas
March 8th, 2005, 1:20 pm
ok revised
the HBP is pry Flamel

jopotter
March 8th, 2005, 1:20 pm
I'm pretty sure it says "Advanced Potion-Making".

Hmm... I think that:

1) Harry passed his Potions subject and will be taking Snape's class in year 6
2) Dumbledore will be giving Harry private lessons on defense
3) The pensieve, or something like that will be used to transfer Harry back in time
4) The Half Blood Prince is Godric Gryffindor

filius
March 8th, 2005, 1:22 pm
I'm pretty sure it says "Advanced Potion-Making".

Hmm... I think that:

1) Harry passed his Potions subject and will be taking Snape's class in year 6
2) Dumbledore will be giving Harry private lessons on defense
3) The pensieve, or something like that will be used to transfer Harry back in time
4) The Half Blood Prince is Godric Gryffindor
1) I don't think Harry failed any subjects...
2) Great idea!
3) Pensieves are for storing memories, not going back in time, though. :shrug:
4) No comment. :)

WoodenCoyote
March 8th, 2005, 1:23 pm
ok revised
the HBP is pry Flamel
He and his wife stopped taking the elixar of life in PS and Dumbledore said they were getting their affairs in order before they died. Its been 5 years, surely they would have passed on by now?

podge_uk_2001
March 8th, 2005, 1:23 pm
The UK childrens cover is pretty sweet. Dumbledore and Harry looking like they're about to fight someone with fire swirling round them. Dumbledore looks worried. Maybe they've both been captured or tricked or something?

Corbin Dallas
March 8th, 2005, 1:25 pm
He and his wife stopped taking the elixar of life in PS and Dumbledore said they were getting their affairs in order before they died. Its been 5 years, surely they would have passed on by now?
Think so? Have we been told he's dead, only that they would die, can't just assume they'd die right away
besides they have enough elixir to set their affairs in order...

filius
March 8th, 2005, 1:25 pm
The UK childrens cover is pretty sweet. Dumbledore and Harry looking like they're about to fight someone with fire swirling round them. Dumbledore looks worried. Maybe they've both been captured or tricked or something?
Yeah, I love the UK covers! :D

They look pretty worried. The fire around them looks like it's trapping them. But it could also probably be that the cover artist just needed to fill up some space.

Lumina
March 8th, 2005, 1:28 pm

History of Magic? Divination? You really sure about that?
The covers are quite something to speculate over. It does look like a Pensieve on the US Cover, but you have to look at all three covers to make sense of what's going on.
UK adult cover indicates by the book that there is a focus on potions, Snape, and Harry's ambition to be an Auror
US cover indicates with the Pensieve looking thing that memories and history will be invoked (yey, answers). The green probably means yes, we'll learn what happened more with Voldemort's attack on the Potters.
UK children's cover indicates danger for Dumbledore and Harry, I think and is the hardest to decipher.

whizbang121
pry?

jopotter
3) Pensieves are for storing memories, not going back in time, though.

That's true, but everytime Harry plays around with the Pensieve he ends up going back in time. In book 4, he went back to 14 or 13(?) years ago and in book 5 he went back to the time where James and Lily were fifteen. But seeing that the thing that looks like a pensieve is on pedestal and is producing green light, I guess that thing is something else. A more complex and powerful kind of pensieve maybe?

whizbang121
March 8th, 2005, 1:32 pm
I'm pretty sure it says "Advanced Potion-Making". That's what it looks like.
:tu:

Supposing their "affairs" include seeing the outcome of the Harry/Voldemort confrontation?

filius
March 8th, 2005, 1:33 pm
That's true, but everytime Harry plays around with the Pensieve he ends up going back in time. In book 4, he went back to 14 or 13(?) years ago and in book 5 he went back to the time where James and Lily were fifteen. But seeing that the thing that looks like a pensieve is on pedestal and is producing green light, I guess that thing is something else. A more complex and powerful kind of pensieve maybe?
That's not going back in time, that's going into a memory from quite a while ago. :p

Maybe. It doesn't look like a Cauldron to me. It's described as a basin which is what JK used to describe it also. So it HAS to be a Pensieve.

It's Eminating Green Light. Lots to work on here- Maybe Harry goes back to the memory where he watches Voldemort kill his parents, hence the Green Light. :wow:

whizbang121
March 8th, 2005, 1:34 pm
All that green have anything to do with Harry's green eyes?

WoodenCoyote
Supposing their "affairs" include seeing the outcome of the Harry/Voldemort confrontation?Perhaps, they are connected to the Dark Lord through the Stone, at least.

Mizaru

It's possible that he didn't fail anything but still couldn't go on... Harry needed, what...an O in Potions? to go on to advanced...the UK adult version implies that he did, in fact, make it to advanced potions (good for you, Harry!)

As a fairly upsetting sidenote...I'm at work and for some reason the ONLY thing I can access online is COS (frustrating, but at least I have this)...do any of the news sites have anything about the interview with the editor, also from the Today show? I had to leave before they showed it (or have they yet?)

filius
March 8th, 2005, 1:35 pm
Perhaps, they are connected to the Dark Lord through the Stone, at least.
How could they be connected through the Stone when Voldemort never got hold of it in the first place?

netwicth
March 8th, 2005, 1:37 pm
also remember he only got through about three questions in history of magic. so he might have failed that one, you think?

WoodenCoyote
March 8th, 2005, 1:37 pm
How could they be connected through the Stone when Voldemort never got hold of it in the first place?He desired it, didn't he? And made an effort to take control of it. If I remember correctly in the end Flamel had to destroy the stone so it would never be used for the wrong reasons.

filius
March 8th, 2005, 1:42 pm
He desired it, didn't he? And made an effort to take control of it. If I remember correctly in the end Flamel had to destroy the stone so it would never be used for the wrong reasons.
Sorry. :blush: I still don't see how this connects them.

Neither Flamel nor the Stone has been in contact with Voldemort. So there's no connection. And I don't think they need that much longer to sort out their affair, though I'm not denying the fact that I do believe there's a chance he might still be alive. I think he might have taken one last swig on the Elixir before the destroyed the stone. :)

swishandflick
March 8th, 2005, 1:49 pm
squeeeeee at the new cover!!! So excited...must go to class but very happy. It's not what I expected but it's nice. It brings back memories of the squashed theories about the green flame torch. My guess is the pensieve though. Interesting.

ComicBookWorm
March 8th, 2005, 1:55 pm
I'm supposed to be asleep since I have to vote during daylight hours (which for me is not my usual period of wakefulness.) In other words I'm supposed to try to get some sleep.

But here I am hyperventilating. I think they're looking in a pensieve, but it's on a pedestal so either that's just drawn that way to look more exciting, or it's a very special old pensieve. In that case, they're learning about the HBP who may be a historical figure like Gryffindor (tee hee).

The other cover has Harry fighting side by side with Dumbledore which might indicate he is the HBP. Ugh, it's great to have new input, but I'm so torn.

I guess the potions cover could either indicate Harry makes it into Advanced Potions or that Snape is the HBP. I think that is the least likely of my wild guesses today.

I like Matt's idea about the power that Harry has, and I would hate to think that the green is the memory of the Potter's being zapped. Ok, I'm going to bed now, by the time I get back here this thread will be on it's sixth version. :D

Crookshanks800
March 8th, 2005, 1:57 pm
Katie Couric just said they're going to discuss what the next Harry Potter book is about on The Today Show, after the local news update. So that's in a few minutes!

Trinny
March 8th, 2005, 2:01 pm
Do the illustator know anything about the plot in the book or has she been told some bits and pieces or is it all just from her own artistic mind? How much did the earlier book covers reveal about the plot?

Many questions, so few answers....

cornish_pixies
March 8th, 2005, 2:08 pm
Wow, I got so excited when I saw the news on mugglenet. I just love the UK cover - the Adult cover is boring and gives no interesting information, as usual. The UK cover looks to me like Dumbledore is conjuring up some swirl of fire, maybe a new protection of some sort?

To Trinny, I think JK provides the artists with some basic idea of what she'd like to see on the cover. I think it's only fair to let them read the mauscript, and leave it to them to interpret in any way they want. And the earlier covers haven't given us a lot of information about the outcome of the book, but more info on specific events happening within the book (I'm talking about the UK covers, don't know about US).

whizbang121
March 8th, 2005, 2:13 pm
Why do I have no clue who does the illustrations for the UK editions? :huh: I always like the children's UK best and I have no clue who does them.

To be honest, I don't really like Grand Pre's style, but .......

fabulouskirsten
March 8th, 2005, 2:13 pm
Awesome covers! I'm inclined to wonder if that is a pensieve that belongs/belonged to somebody else. It's all cracked and worn looking, so I'm assuming it's very old. Also, the fact that it's on a pedestal implies something great or grand, so perhaps it contains very important historical memories. Perhaps kept in the Ministry of Magic, lest we forget old troubles and problems from long ago.

What I find interesting about the UK kid's cover is that Harry and Dumbledore seem to be surrounded by fire, whereas in Order of the Pheonix in the Ministry of Magic Dumbledore surrounds Voldemort in water from the fountain... maybe it's Voldemort's doing having all the fire there?

The UK adult cover is just an enigma, just a worn and tattered old book on advanced potions. Could mean anything! Wooo I love new book news!

esmerelda
March 8th, 2005, 2:22 pm
My first thought was that the cover (UK kids version, I always go by) pointed to a big showdown with Harry and Dumbledore taking on Voldemort, but I suppose that isn't necessarily what it's showing at all. The cover for PoA is the only one thus far that has shown anything from the end of the book. Still, it looks quite tense and showdown-like to me in my current very excited state!

Trinny
March 8th, 2005, 2:25 pm
I wish it had been a veil instead. I'm sooo curious about that darned veil! :grumble:

godricgryfindor
March 8th, 2005, 2:28 pm
it's snape it has to be

the adult cover "Advance potion making"
the penseive (remember book 5)

Crookshanks800
March 8th, 2005, 2:33 pm
it's snape it has to be

the adult cover "Advance potion making"
the penseive (remember book 5)

Well, Al Roker of The Today Show seems to think it's Snape also. He asked Arthur Levine, vice president, from Scholastic if the HBP is Snape and Levine just said that he couldn't say.

RavenEye
March 8th, 2005, 2:33 pm
The cover designs make me wonder whether it is Dumbledore who is the Half-Blood Prince - on the other hand the Prisoner of Azkaban didn't have a picture of Sirius on it.

All that fire swirling around seems to be coming from Dumbledore's wand (perhaps to protect Harry?).

I agree about the Advanced Potions book indicating that Harry passed that OWL and elected to take the Potions NEWT (bet Snape will be pleased about that :evil: ).

Sebastien
March 8th, 2005, 2:38 pm
Do the illustator know anything about the plot in the book or has she been told some bits and pieces or is it all just from her own artistic mind? How much did the earlier book covers reveal about the plot? Well, it's still very intriguing that Dumbledore is on both the american and uk covers. I suppose he'll be (even) more active in book six.. The covers open up so many theory opportunities.. Assuming that the cover maker knew something about the plot.

RavenEye
March 8th, 2005, 2:43 pm
Assuming that the cover maker knew something about the plot.
The previous cover designs indicate the cover designers do know something about the contents of the book (even if it's just the part they are illustrating).

Mizaru
March 8th, 2005, 2:44 pm
Well, it's still very intriguing that Dumbledore is on both the american and uk covers. I suppose he'll be (even) more active in book six.. The covers open up so many theory opportunities.. Assuming that the cover maker knew something about the plot.

I only saw a glimpse as I was walking out the door to go to work, and then, as stated above, COS is the only place I can access online now, so I'm basing this on about 2 seconds of a viewing 2 hours ago...Is it definitely Dumbledore on the cover? It seemed to me someone that was older and gaunt looking, but it almost looked a little more like the illustrations of Moody from the little chapter intro illustrations that Dumbledore, but with "lighting" to make his hair look white...

MissLiberty
March 8th, 2005, 2:44 pm
it's great that they are out. i didn't expect them to be released so early. Well I'm excited, what they are going to resemble. What's Dumbledore's part in the story? He is on both of the covers so he must be quite important...
Advanced potion making??? Why should Harry continue with the class he hates the most??? Questions over questions.

Mizaru
March 8th, 2005, 2:50 pm
Advanced potion making??? Why should Harry continue with the class he hates the most??? Questions over questions.

Because, unfortunately, it's a required course to becoming an auror.

ComicBookWorm
March 8th, 2005, 2:50 pm
Harry wants to be an Auror that's why he needs potions. And I wasn't too sure the man on the Bloomsbury cover was Dumbledore either, but it's a good guess.

Machiavelli
March 8th, 2005, 2:52 pm
Was the interview enlightening at all? Surely not...

ComicBookWorm
March 8th, 2005, 2:53 pm
I'm going to tape it, but I doubt it will have anything meaningful.

MicheleLovegood
March 8th, 2005, 2:54 pm
Harry wants to be an Auror that's why he needs potions.I bet potions are more important than simply Harry wanting to be an auror. Think of how important polyjuice potion has been to the overall story. I would guess that maybe a potion will be of the plot. Or maybe something to do with Snape.

chrisbll85
March 8th, 2005, 2:55 pm
mmm... I'm thinking Dumbledore will actually be the HBP because I don't think they would put him on both covers and him not be

Yrraine
March 8th, 2005, 2:57 pm
The bowl looks like a pensieve to me, and I am going with CBW's initial suspicion that it will show the tale of Godric Gryffindor, Half-Blood Prince. The Advanced Potions book just suggests Harry gets into Newt Potions--I think most of us expected that--but I was reminded of the Epitaph theory, wherein the 7 tasks in SS/PS represent the 7 books, and task 6 is logically solving Snape's potions puzzle.
Anyone else reminded of heliopaths by the rings of fire? I didn't have time to read the whole thread; sorry if someone else has discussed this.

Machiavelli
March 8th, 2005, 3:00 pm
Harry wants to be an Auror that's why he needs potions. And I wasn't too sure the man on the Bloomsbury cover was Dumbledore either, but it's a good guess.I'm fairly sure it is. Dumbledore has developed his own iconography and this seems to be nicely in line.

shmink
March 8th, 2005, 3:00 pm
I have nothing useful to post here, except that I am way way excited about the new book now, and the possibility of Advanced Potions with Snape (seems like potions may be a key to the plot), and finding out more about what Dumbledore knows!

Corbin Dallas
March 8th, 2005, 3:04 pm
No I'm fairly certain Flamel is the HBP, with the other adult book covers, they were dome in retrospect, this is the first time it has been done before the release of the book, so the potions book is a clue, DD and Harry on the oother 2 and the Pensieve and the wreath of Flames, Flamel gets my vote
Cheers

HarryLass
March 8th, 2005, 3:04 pm
I'm watching the Today show now to try to get news. Why must they have teasers? Why? Isn't classified in some countries as a form of cruel and unusual torture?

rjade829
March 8th, 2005, 3:08 pm
The covers are really intriguing! I love the "and the Half-Blood Prince" lettering on the US one...very pretty.

Anyway, some people think that the basin on the US cover is a pensieve. Just for reference, here are the two pensieve pics Grandpre's done for chapter pictures:

http://www.mugglenet.com/books/chapterpics/images/gof/originals/_gof30.jpg

http://www.mugglenet.com/books/chapterpics/images/ootp/originals/_ootp28.jpg

The one on the HBP cover looks different, but it could still be a pensieve...

Or maybe Harry and DD are making a potion of some sort in that basin.

Crookshanks800
March 8th, 2005, 3:11 pm
Was the interview enlightening at all? Surely not...

No, not much. Regarding the cover, Scholastic editor Arthur Levine said "This is just a perfect little bit of mystery to capture the reader and give them a sense of the mystery within." He also said this book is very intense but there are also a lot of lighter moments and there's a lot of heart in this book. He said what we already knew -- that there's a new Minister of Magic and that Voldemort and Harry are not the half-blood prince. He also said we will learn more about Voldemort. When asked if Snape was the HBP, he said that he couldn't say. He also wouldn't say if anyone dies.

Machiavelli
March 8th, 2005, 3:18 pm
No, not much. Regarding the cover, Scholastic editor Arthur Levine said "This is just a perfect little bit of mystery to capture the reader and give them a sense of the mystery within." He also said this book is very intense but there are also a lot of lighter moments and there's a lot of heart in this book. He said what we already knew -- that there's a new Minister of Magic and that Voldemort and Harry are not the half-blood prince. He also said we will learn more about Voldemort. When asked if Snape was the HBP, he said that he couldn't say. He also wouldn't say if anyone dies.
Thanks! That's about what I figured. Cagey guy - and clever. JKR would take out a well paid contract if he let anything slip!

Katze
March 8th, 2005, 3:22 pm
My impressions:
I believe that what Dumbledore and Harry are looking at on the American cover is a potions. Whatever we're looking at is also green (Slytherin). So I think Snape is going to be very involved in this story, and we'll find out why D keeps him as the Potions teacher. We also see on the adult cover of the UK version a book called "Advanced Potion Making." Another reference to Snape.

Either Dumbledore and Harry will be spending more time together, or they'll involved in the big event together, since they are both depicted on two of the three covers.

The UK children's version looks as if they surrounded by fire. Either it's magic, or some sort of symbolism for Dumbledore (Phoenix). Perhaps that is the event following what we see in the American version.

Just my opinion :)

HarryLass
March 8th, 2005, 3:23 pm
He did let something slip about the length of time it might be until Book 7 comes out. When asked about his outfit that coordinated with the green and purple on the cover of HBP, he said something like, "I can finally change my look, but now I'll have to wear it for two years." Two years, huh? Can't wait.

one2escape
March 8th, 2005, 3:25 pm
The adult book is more has more interest for me. Advanced Poition making. Look at the book it is tattered. Harry has money and buys his book not second hand. Maybe he has to make a poition later on in the year.

The book covers have got me really looking forward to the book coming out now.

On the other ones is that DD or someone else. Everyone is assuming it is DD but you should never assume. However I do believe it is the pensive.

genesis
March 8th, 2005, 3:25 pm
I think the cover page enforces what little we know about HBP. According to the library guide, something important about Lily will occur, and we will learn why Dumbledore trusts Snape. If it is a pensieve on the cover, Dumbledore might be using it to show Harry a memory. The fact that a potions book is on the cover of the UK adult HBP inforces the fact that Snape and potions will be important. Also, the war will begin in earnest in HBP.
Now, all we need to do is to wait a few more months before we can see what is on the inside of the cover.

luv2luvhp
March 8th, 2005, 3:27 pm
I'm thinking that Harry is still going to be pretty mad at Dumbledore over everything that happened at the end of OotP, and the trio is probably going to come up with the idea of looking at Harry's earliest memories through the pensieve to get an idea of what really went down that night at Godric's Hollow. To pacify Harry, and because he's older now, Dumbledore is going to go along with it. If I'm not mistaken (correct me if I'm wrong) he hasn't viewed what happened through the pensieve, just through memory flashes and dreams...If so, it would be such a hot scene in the book!!

Turtles
March 8th, 2005, 3:28 pm
How exciting! The UK adult cover is less detailed than both of the other two, but seems to shed more light than either of them. On the POA DVD, JK Rowling says that the movie has a lot of foreshadowing as to what will happen in the last books. I actually think that the scene in front of the whomping willow, where Snape shields Harry, Ron, and Hermione from the warewolf Lupin, is a big foreshadow of what is to come. Advanced potions, eh? Very cool.

I am also hacked off that this is the one morning all year that I didn't watch The Today Show!

swishandflick
March 8th, 2005, 3:29 pm
I'm trying to make out the author name on the adult cover. I think it starts with a Borges or Borage. There might be a similar name in Quidditch through the Ages or FB***T. Hmmm...

Krumpet
March 8th, 2005, 3:33 pm
First off like me just say how glad I am to see Dumbledore as a prominent figure on the cover. Perhaps this means the rift that was started in OotP between Harry and Dumbledore will be mended. :) At least I hope that's what it means.

As with many before me I think the American version shows them looking into a Pensive, a very old pensive. I wouldn't be surprised if it was Slytherin's pensive (hence the green light). Moreover this might be how we get a peak at the "lion like man" that I believe is Gryffindor, who just might also be the HBP. Ahh so many question are arisen from this picture...

Jaredd
March 8th, 2005, 3:35 pm

Interesting idea, but I personally don't think so. I've always admired JKR for creating the pensieve for use as a convenient plot device to enable us (and Harry for that matter) to gain valuable backstory information while maintaining the Harry POV motif that she has created for the series. She probably modeled it after the successful use of Riddle's diary in COS. the other choice would have been (IMO) incredibly lengthy and boring character exposition.

The cover tells me that once again we will be treated to more backstory, which I think is going to be necessary to tie up all the loose ends she's left dangling.

And I just have wonder what it is with all the time-travelling theories floating around. I mean.....that is just so Prisoner of Azkaban, dontcha think?

Machiavelli
March 8th, 2005, 3:35 pm
The one on the HBP cover looks different, but it could still be a pensieve...

Or maybe Harry and DD are making a potion of some sort in that basin.
I think it's consistent with her previous depictions. There's a lip to the basin and what appear to be runes or engravings - all of that works. The cracks and things could just be to add graphic interest, or could indicated that the events going on are straining the fabric of the penseive. The green seems to work with the idea that Harry could see the Godric's Hollow night maybe... but that's only a very minor idea, and it would imply that Dumbledore had been there that night, which contradicts what he has said before...

I am S Black
March 8th, 2005, 3:36 pm
It has to be Dumbledore on the covers due to the fact that both covers depict an old white haired/bearded wizard with HALF-MOON spectacles. There's a very small chance that there's another prominent wizard fitting Dumbledore's description, unless it's his brother, or if Dumbledore stole his look from one of his idols.

Also, I find the Advanced Potions book very interesting due to it's look. It's very old, there must be significance to that.

sparrowowl
March 8th, 2005, 3:37 pm
I think the green light and the pencieve add up to one thing: Dumbledore is assisting Harry (maybe teaching him how to use the pencieve) and Harry is watching his memory of Voldemort's attack.

Kooky theory: Fire on the UK kids' cover=Heliopaths?

Katze
March 8th, 2005, 3:39 pm
I think it's consistent with her previous depictions. There's a lip to the basin and what appear to be runes or engravings - all of that works. The cracks and things could just be to add graphic interest, or could indicated that the events going on are straining the fabric of the penseive. The green seems to work with the idea that Harry could see the Godric's Hollow night maybe... but that's only a very minor idea, and it would imply that Dumbledore had been there that night, which contradicts what he has said before...

The AK also gives off green light, something which Harry remembers vividly.

It could be a pensieve, but I just don't think so.

There's much to learn about Snape, and we know he'll play a bigger part in the story eventualy. He's also Slytherin (green), and the light from whatever is in the basin is green. We also have a book on advanced potions on the UK children's version.

So I'm going to assume that it's a potion.

Machiavelli
March 8th, 2005, 3:40 pm

There's much to learn about Snape, and we know he'll play a bigger part in the story eventualy. He's also Slytherin (green), and the light from whatever is in the basin is green. We also have a book on advanced potions on the UK children's version.

So I'm going to assume that it's a potion.Fair enough! Bit odd then that it's Dumbledore and not Snape with Harry there... unless Snape refuses to take Harry into his potions class and Dumbledore steps in to do a bit of tutoring... although that could make for some quite dull reading.

genesis
March 8th, 2005, 3:42 pm
Fair enough! Bit odd then that it's Dumbledore and not Snape with Harry there... unless Snape refuses to take Harry into his potions class and Dumbledore steps in to do a bit of tutoring... although that could make for some quite dull reading.
However, the best way to learn about potions is to actually do them. How much can you learn from reading a book? The importance of potions is with their use not necessarily the theory.

severa78
March 8th, 2005, 3:43 pm
here's the Adult Scholastic version
More soon

Ok, too late. This is going fast!

I think the book means harry will be able to take NEWT Potion. Has it been said already? Give me a minute to catch up!! Aargh!

Jaredd
March 8th, 2005, 3:43 pm

So I'm going to assume that it's a potion.

My only problem with the idea that it's a potion is that throughout the series potions have always been brewed in cauldrons, not rimmed bowls. The only rimmed bowl we have seen in the past is the pensieve.

rjade829
March 8th, 2005, 3:46 pm
I'm trying to make out the author name on the adult cover. I think it starts with a Borges or Borage. There might be a similar name in Quidditch through the Ages or FB***T. Hmmm...

The name's Libatius Borage, according to TLC.

pattypaper
March 8th, 2005, 3:47 pm
The No. 6 is back in the cover. I know you guys have had to notice this, but I've not seen it mentioned anywhere. The No. 6 is in the podium.
For whatever reason, this is only true in the regular American versions, but the numbers are worked into the artwork of every book.

Katze
March 8th, 2005, 3:48 pm
Fair enough! Bit odd then that it's Dumbledore and not Snape with Harry there... unless Snape refuses to take Harry into his potions class and Dumbledore steps in to do a bit of tutoring... although that could make for some quite dull reading.

That's a very good point. Why isn't Snape on the cover if it is a potion?

I think the potion they are making is separate from the class. I think D and H will be working on something together.

In the past Harry never opened up to Dumbledore to let him know what he (Harry) was thinking, and I think this will change. Too much damage has been done by people not telling the whole truth and by being emotional and unwilling to talk to others (Harry and his dreams for example). I think by the end of the book he'll come around and trust Dumbledore again. There are no more walls between Harry and DD. Harry has learned that he can't keep what's happening to him inside and he needs to learn how to control his emotions, and DD has learned that he can't keep information from Harry.

Machiavelli
March 8th, 2005, 3:49 pm
The name's Libatius Borage, according to TLC.
Great name!

Jaredd - quite good point with the cauldron thing. Katze - how about Harry brewing a potion in the penseive in order to see Godric's Hollow?

jenny
March 8th, 2005, 3:49 pm
Excellent covers and very exciting! We're getting closer!
I wondered if perhaps the pensieve was Tom Riddle's? However due to its cracked old nature I'd be inclined to say that it was Godric's and that he is the Half Blood Prince. This would also tie in nicely to the link between books 2 and 6. She could perhaps have added lots of backstory about GG and Slytherin etc but didn't. Maybe this is how we find out that story?

HarryLass
March 8th, 2005, 3:50 pm
I find several things interesting about this cover:

1. We can safely assume that the climax involves at least (perhaps exclusively) Harry, Dumbledore, and the orginator of those spell effects. In the last few books, we've seen Sirius's escape from Hogwarts, the Triwizard Tournament, and the skirmish at the DoM, so this definitely has a precedent. What I want to know is: what happened to the rest of Harry's posse? Why only him and Dumbledore?

2. Harry again has his wand in his left hand. Ms. GrandPre says she looks at herself as a model, using a mirror, so it's not all that unusual, but why, consistently, show the wand in the wrong hand?

3.The handwriting is different for that on OotP. It's pointy, spindly, almost spidery. I wonder if that has any significance. Could it be Snape's?

MoodyHarry
March 8th, 2005, 3:52 pm
All of the artwork looks great.

Pensieve for the children's Scholastic version? I'm guessing so, and I'm guessing that is where Dumbledore tells Harry about the Half-Blood Prince. My theory is that HBP is an older figure whose actions/past events somehow tie to Harry in the present.

Bloombury children's cover looks like Dumbledore and Harry fighting. JKR mentioned the wizarding world will be going "to war" again.

Adult cover - "Advanced Potion Making". (title of book on cover of HBP book).
Poor Harry - more Snape. Unless Snape is no longer Potions Master....hmmmm

Yeah covers!!!

TheMuffinMan
March 8th, 2005, 3:52 pm
What I grasped from looking at the covers:

1. Dumbledore will show Harry something from the past in order to teach/make him understand, something. Will use pensieve...

2. It will involve potion-making, advanced potion class, or some relevance to the potions master. At first, I thought that the adult cover was Tom Riddles Diary, but if you look closely, it's a old, worn out advanced potions book...

3. Dumbledore and Harry will fight in a battle together, and the battle will most likely involve fire

Katze
March 8th, 2005, 3:53 pm
Now for the shameless plug...

I think you might get a better run with this plug in the Daily Prophet (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22) section of the boards. That section is specifically meant for people to promote their websites! :agree:

3.The handwriting is different for that on OotP. It's pointy, spindly, almost spidery. I wonder if that has any significance.

It reminds me of the writing I envisioned when Tom Riddle was writing his name in the air.

eaimua
March 8th, 2005, 3:53 pm
I thought the fire was coming from Dumbledore's wand?!

pattypaper
March 8th, 2005, 3:55 pm
Thanks Katze, I'll move it there

la_ginny
March 8th, 2005, 3:56 pm
Wow! It's amazing what this cover art can tell us about the books. Obviously the Harry-Dumbledore relationship (not THAT kind!) will take center stage. After the distance they had in OotP, this should be interesting, since we know that Harry and Dumbledore are the two most powerful characters in the books (and the only ones Voldy ever feared). And what's with that ring of fire on the Bloomsbury cover? Looks like we've got some serious battles coming.

Oh, and I definitely think the green thing is a Pensieve (which jives with my theory that the half blood prince is a person or story or legend from the past, i.e. Godric Gryffindor or the like).

Anywho, yay! for cover art.

EDIT: I don't think we should take the adult cover art too seriously. After all, wasn't the cover of one of the books a castle? I'm not entirely sure that it has too much to do with the main plot. Perhaps it's just there to tell us that Harry did get what he needed on his OWLs to get into Snape's class and become an auror? Or maybe there's a certain potion Harry learns to make that becomes part of the story, but not key (i.e. Polyjuice).

TheMuffinMan
March 8th, 2005, 3:58 pm
Off-topip, but:

Which cover do you think is the best looking one?

HarryLass
March 8th, 2005, 3:58 pm
It reminds me of the writing I envisioned when Tom Riddle was writing his name in the air.

I was thinking somewhere along the lines of Snape's writing, but I hadn't thought about TMR. Arthur Levine said that we will learn about Voldie in this book, so perhaps it is his.

Kimmetje
March 8th, 2005, 3:59 pm
I think the new cover is very cool! I think they are looking into the Pensieve on that picture, DD and Harry I mean. The cover is very cool and I shall be happy to have the book too on July 16th.

MadameSparks
March 8th, 2005, 4:00 pm
The cover does offer me some comfort that DD is going to make it through book 6. I've been looking for him to bite the dust for a while, leaving harry to have to handle things on his own and forcing him into manhood earlier than usual.

AllanTheGreat
I am SOOO EXCITED! I love the covers, each and every one of them, they're great! My favorite is the American cover, though --quoting JKR's words-- I may be biased :). I agree with someone who posted before that the 'and the Half-Blood Prince' font is just superb.

It is indeed mystifying that Dumbledore appears in both the American and British covers. Never has the same person or item appeared in two covers at once, mainly because they aren't things of much important. But now Dumbledore appears in two of the three covers, which could mean that he's going to be getting much more spotlight in this book.

My theories are:

1. The bowl or podium Dumbledore and Harry are looking at is a pensieve. You might say that the light being emitted from the bowl is not silvery, but no one has said that every pensieve's light is silvery. Or maybe it's a scene of Dumbledore and Harry about to enter a pensieve, and the pensieve is reflecting the scene where they are going to appear, which turns out to be green.

2. Something eerie just crossed my mind, too. This is just a theory, but what if, due to Dumbledore's increased involvement in HBP book, he puts himself in danger (what with the fire rings and all) and is injured or dies :( I seriously hope not, because Dumbledore is one of my favorite characters, but no one will say who is it that dies... I'm afraid...

Also, if anyone has got a transcript and/or pictures of the interview on the Today Show, could you please post links to them. It would be highly appreciated. I would personally like to see Arthur Levine's face for the first time, and him dressed in purple and green :)

TheMuffinMan
Maybe it's just me, but when looking at the UK cover, child version, doesn't look like Dumbledore/Harry both have a look of great Surprise/Fear?

hotharry
March 8th, 2005, 4:01 pm
Alright we can see from the adult cover for the UK that Harry is at least taking advanced potions. Poor Harry, maybe his relationship with Snape will get better. Both the Children version of the UK and the US cover have Harry and Dumbledore together. My guess is in the US one they are looking at a pensive maybe. And in the UK they look like they are surrounded by some sort of misty cloud, which is also in the US version too. I wonder what that is and what it means for Harry and Dumbledore.

olin
March 8th, 2005, 4:01 pm
Question: Is is a look of terror in Harry and Dumbledore's eyes in the UK cover? Awe? They look a little terrified to me, but maybe I'm wrong...

hotharry
March 8th, 2005, 4:03 pm
Maybe it's just me, but when looking at the UK cover, child version, doesn't look like Dumbledore/Harry both have a look of great Surprise/Fear?

That's true. I also thought that. Like they were attacked by surprise or fear. But what would do that. Maybe there is something dangerous about the weird mist surrounding them.

Question: Is is a look of terror in Harry and Dumbledore's eyes in the UK cover? Awe? They look a little terrified to me, but maybe I'm wrong...

It could be terror. Or as said before surprise. But I wonder if it has to do with the strange substance that surrounds them.

thestral83
March 8th, 2005, 4:04 pm
eee im so excited :) !!!!

luvygrifindor
March 8th, 2005, 4:07 pm
It might not have been a pensive. The light coming from the basin was green, not silver. Hmm, whatever it is, I wonder why its on the podium..
You beat me to saying it. yea!!!! :rotfl: we finally have at least a cover of it. I am going ot assume that since the adult cover from Bloomsbury says advanced potion making, that Harry and Dumbledore will be brewing something in a basin instead of in a cauldron :huh: . I cant wait to find out what it is and why! :drool: The Other Bloomsbury cover has them being in that large flame. Do you think they are on the other side of that unlockable door from the Department of Mysteries? Did they have to do a potion to get into it, kind of like Hermione and Harry in the PS/SS? yea! we see the art! Now, how about a few chapters every week?-No? Ok, just wishful thinking. :p Maybe they will have to brew a potion to help Harry defend himself from Voldemort? It does not show who the Half-Blood prince is, unless it's Dumbledore! :eyebrows: So, It may possibly be a pensieve, maybe Slytherins pensieve? It could be old and green. But, I doubt it. I would rather think it as being what I mentioned earlier. It would be cool if it were Slytherins pensieve, even thought it is not silvery.

TheMuffinMan
I inverted the colors of the adult UK book cover to see who the author of Harry's potion book is.

You can't see the entire name, but it looks like:

"Lilyan Borag"

You can clearly see an "Lily" then two letters after that

and a "Bora", and you can see the bottom loop of a lower case "g". And what may be another letter after that, maybe an "E"?

"Lilyan Borag" or "Lilyan Borage"...

But I could be wrong...

hotharry
I wonder in the US version if the podium is a potion cause on the UK adult version it had an advance potion book on the cover. Could it be that maybe Swaping with Snape is possible. :rotfl:

fonz
March 8th, 2005, 4:08 pm
I'm going crazy, must read this book! And this time I'll be wise enough to preorder.

Does anyone find it a little ironic that Dumbledore and Harry are staring at a Pillar? Remember Pillar of Forge? That guy wasn't so far off lol.

la_ginny
March 8th, 2005, 4:09 pm
2. Something eerie just crossed my mind, too. This is just a theory, but what if, due to Dumbledore's increased involvement in HBP book, he puts himself in danger (what with the fire rings and all) and is injured or dies :( I seriously hope not, because Dumbledore is one of my favorite characters, but no one will say who is it that dies... I'm afraid...
Sadly, I thought that too. I wondered if the art not only shows Dumbledore's increased involvement in this book, but if it is also a type of tribute to him. Maybe it's the progression of things -- on the Book 7 cover it'll be just Harry, wand in hand, ready to face Voldemort? Has Harry ever been on a book cover on his own? On the cover of Scholastic PS/SS, he's by himself but on a broom, chasing a snitch with a unicorn in the background. Seems like the cover art is getting a bit more simplified...

tyro
March 8th, 2005, 4:11 pm
'wierd mist'? You mean, fire?

Why are their wands all wriggly in the UK Childrens one? As far as I'm concerned, the UK children's one is by far the best of all the UK and US ones. But I'm not too keen on the colour scheme - green on blue?!

Also, where on earth is Dumbledore's right arm? Maybe that's a plot point, dun dun DUN!

Golden Snidget
March 8th, 2005, 4:12 pm
That's true. I also thought that. Like they were attacked by surprise or fear. But what would do that. Maybe there is something dangerous about the weird mist surrounding them.

It could be terror. Or as said before surprise. But I wonder if it has to do with the strange substance that surrounds them.

Regarding children's cover; I just posted this on the Leaky threads.....could they perhaps be under attack by a dragon? Remember Harry's dream about Draco attacking whilst riding a dragon? Just a thought......

TheMuffinMan
March 8th, 2005, 4:15 pm
In the Uk children's one you can't see his right arm, and in the US one you can't see his left.

I don't think it was intentional, and I doubt it has anyhting to do with he plot, I'm sure Dumbledore's keepin his limb's :D

(Mutter: That is, if he make's it through the next book alive :sad:)

hotharry
March 8th, 2005, 4:16 pm
I inverted the colors of the adult UK book cover to see who the author of Harry's potion book is.

"Lilyan Borag"

and a "Bora", and you can see the bottom loop of a lower case "g". And what may be another letter after that, maybe an "E"?

But I could be wrong...

Hmm..Interesting. Hey btw I love your siggy. I totally feel the same way! :D ;)

la_ginny
March 8th, 2005, 4:17 pm
I'm going crazy, must read this book! And this time I'll be wise enough to preorder.

Does anyone find it a little ironic that Dumbledore and Harry are staring at a Pillar? Remember Pillar of Forge? That guy wasn't so far off lol.
:rotfl: :rotfl: Yes yes, it was the Pillar of Storge. And if I remember correctly, the mockup cover that someone did was green, and had a pillar with ivy wrapped around it. Someone should tease JKR about that one (or is she teasing us??)

That, my friends, is quite ironic.

TheMuffinMan
Regarding children's cover; I just posted this on the Leaky threads.....could they perhaps be under attack by a dragon? Remember Harry's dream about Draco attacking whilst riding a dragon? Just a thought......

In the picture, it looks like Dumbledore is the one casting the fire. I think it's to protect them, or shield Harry from something. Along with a look of terror on his face, I think DUmbledore and him get surprise attacked and Dumbledore casts a wall of fire to protect them.

Draco was riding a dragon on a quidditch match in his dream ;)...

fonz
Here's my theory on the penseive deal and sorry if it's already been said, to many pages to read!

If it is a penseive, then maybe it's a memory of someone being killed with Avada Kedevra. Look at all that green!

(ah sorry for any spelling mistakes)

hotharry
March 8th, 2005, 4:18 pm

hey you guys are right it could be fire. Sorry, I guess the eyes aren't working well this morning for me. lol! I must go and get them checked. It might be a dragon that is attacking them. It's hard to know though.

severa78
March 8th, 2005, 4:19 pm
Finally caught up!

I'm so excited!
I agree with the "look of terror/surprise" idea on Harry's and DD's faces. It tallies with the theory that it depicts a final showdown with...whoever.

The book is probably what Snape uses in his NEWT class, but it doesn't look like it belongs to Harry. maybe it was Tom's? At first glance it looked like Tom's Diary to me. But I can't imagine why it would be important..

Harry and DD on both UK and US covers seem to point to kore (oops, more, typing too fast) interaction between the two. Certainly Harry will need more help now that things get serious (without Sirius) :rotfl:

Alery
We will have an american cover and probably, instead of Voldemort something like Volan-de-Mort and instead of Ravenclaw - Kogtevran.

hotharry
Here's my theory on the penseive deal and sorry if it's already been said, to many pages to read!

If it is a penseive, then maybe it's a memory of someone being killed with Avada Kedevra. Look at all that green!

THat's an interesting idea. Maybe it is Lily's pensive that Dumbledore has for some reason and saving up for Harry to see. I dunno.

TheMuffinMan
March 8th, 2005, 4:21 pm

Yes maybe, anyone have any idea why in the US cover, Harry has his wand at hand?

If he's looking into a memory, why do you think he feels the need to have his wand poised?

I for one, beleive it's a pensieve, except Dumbledore is using it in a diferent fassion. We already have seen 2 diferent ways to use a pensive.

1. Dive directly into a memory, and walk along with the scenes.

2. Have the scene play out along the surface of the basin, like a kind of holographic message. Like in Star Wars...

Maybe the form of viewing a memory, that's depicted on the cover, is difernet from the other ways we've seen before...

hotharry
March 8th, 2005, 4:21 pm
In the picture, it looks like Dumbledore is the one casting the fire. I think it's to protect them, or shield Harry from something. Along with a look of terror on his face, I think DUmbledore and him get surprise attacked and Dumbledore casts a wall of fire to protect them.

That's interesting to think that Dumbledore cast the fire to protect them. Of course it could be something else too. Maybe to make sure no one disturbs them while they look at the pensive.

Golden Snidget
March 8th, 2005, 4:23 pm

Maybe....or maybe the fire is spewing from the dragon, and he's casting a protection spell from the flames. :huh:

I believe the dreams can also be interpreted as foreshadowing. In this case, perhaps, as deatheaters attacking using dragons.

Alery
March 8th, 2005, 4:24 pm
Hey, some people are still mad on the idead that Harry and Dumbledore are somehow related....

TheMuffinMan
March 8th, 2005, 4:25 pm
That's interesting to think that Dumbledore cast the fire to protect them. Of course it could be something else too. Maybe to make sure no one disturbs them while they look at the pensive.

Yea. It kind of looks like thier getting ready for a fight though.

Both Harry and Dumbledore are facing toward the same thing, both have a look of terror/surprise, Dumbledore casts a huge wall of flames, they both have thier wands out, and a pensieve is nowhere to be seen.

I think they were doing somehting secret, or going somewhere, but Voldie/Deatheaters were waiting for them.

But hey, none of us know for sure :shrug:

They did a very good job with the covers. They did really well to keep us guessing.

I was hopin the cover would have given us a hint toward who Harry's new love was...

*Sigh*

Oh well...

luvygrifindor
March 8th, 2005, 4:28 pm
The flame is coming from Dumbledore's wand. Harry looks a little scared, or like he doesn't know what to do, but Dumbledore looks wrathful! Maybe they are fighting? Dumbldore is very Gandalf to me, I can imagine him going through places untouched that no one has ever lived pass. We will never know until we get the books. It will feel like Christmas for me! Is it better and reliable to pre-order?

hotharry
March 8th, 2005, 4:28 pm
Yea. It kind of looks like thier getting ready for a fight though.

Both Harry and Dumbledore are facing toward the same thing, both have a look of terror/surprise, Dumbledore casts a huge wall of flames, they both have thier wands out, and a pensieve is nowhere to be seen.

I think they were doing somehting secret, or going somewhere, but Voldie/Deatheaters were waiting for them.

But hey, none of us know for sure :shrug:

Yeah, I bet they are being attacked but why the strange garden looking bird bath. What is the importance to that? What are they trying to do with that in the US book?

SiertKarzeni
March 8th, 2005, 4:31 pm
http://mywebpage.netscape.com/l%20DragonLance%20l/wmark.jpg

Is it me or does it look like Dumbledore and Harry are slowly fading away?

TheMuffinMan
March 8th, 2005, 4:32 pm
Yeah, I bet they are being attacked but why the strange garden looking bird bath. What is the importance to that? What are they trying to do with that in the US book?

It's a pensieve, you can even see the runes that line the edge of it...

dcv
March 8th, 2005, 4:34 pm
Well, Al Roker of The Today Show seems to think it's Snape also. He asked Arthur Levine, vice president, from Scholastic if the HBP is Snape and Levine just said that he couldn't say.

Ah, but it was the look on Levine's face when Roker first asked about Snape that told all. He needs to learn a better poker face. (Or maybe not.) I agree; it's Snape, but I've speculated that for a while now.

teo
I must say, I'm a big fan of the UK cover this time, both in terms of the color scheme and picture. The US cover definitely seems to me to be Harry and Dumbledore looking into a pensieve...I think the green light is there just because that's the color scheme they decided to go with. A silver cover which fits better with the pensieve would have been nice in my opinion, but they seem to want to put more color into them.

The UK cover will probably cause more speculation with the flames and Harry/Dumbledore with their wands out.

Crookshanks800

I think Harry looks worried and Dumbledore looks furious.

FoxyDoxy
March 8th, 2005, 4:41 pm
The cover does offer me some comfort that DD is going to make it through book 6. I've been looking for him to bite the dust for a while, leaving harry to have to handle things on his own and forcing him into manhood earlier than usual.

I dunno he does look very frightened. We know he'll be involved in the action again (weee... how nang is that?!) he might still you know... bt the end

Whith the pensive back again it also looks like we're going to find out a little more about the past. I don't think it's DDs pensive though, he looks like he's seeing something for the first time as well as Harry.
The plott is getting so thick now it's swallowing people up like quicksand... yay :D :D :D :D

Briar Filth
March 8th, 2005, 4:42 pm
I wonder why there is an Advanced Potions Making book on the front of the Adult version? I hope that means much more of our dear Potions Master..... :evil:

TrixieBella
March 8th, 2005, 4:43 pm
VERY interesting. It seems to me that Dumbledore and Harry will be transferred back in time (that's what always happens when Harry plays ard with the pensieve) by using a different kind of pensieve, more complex and powerful, but how Advanced Potion fits into this I have no idea.

Sounds like we're on the right track...Oooo! What if Dumbledore is showing Harry the memory of the incident that caused him to trust Snape! How cool would that be!

Yummy
March 8th, 2005, 4:44 pm
So, the US cover makes me think that he and dumbledore will do some work with the Penseive. The UK cover makes me think that there is going to be some GREAT ACTION in the next book, and the Adult UK cover makes me think that Snape is going to be a big part of this one - all of it sounds great to me!

NYCwitch920
March 8th, 2005, 4:49 pm
That has to be a pensieve for the American cover because didn't the one in the previous books have "ancient rune symbols" around it's sides? This one seems to have some type of design around the side too! Does anyone agree?
Also, there's something going on with that fire swirling around. In the American cover, something is swirling around except it's a different color. Hmm, and I wonder why "Ancient Potion Making" is on the cover. It's a definite sign that Harry will have achieved better than expected results in his Potions O.W.L.. Other than that, it's weird how the potions book made the cover, something to do with Snape, perhaps. Wow, this cover being released is so unexpected. :p

Note: If that is a pensieve, maybe Harry will get to see more of his parent's history or even the night they were killed. Don't know how they would do that though unless someone else was there when it happened...

snuggle the muggle
March 8th, 2005, 4:49 pm
Do the illustator know anything about the plot in the book or has she been told some bits and pieces or is it all just from her own artistic mind? How much did the earlier book covers reveal about the plot?

Many questions, so few answers....

This is a good question. As I understand it, Mary Grand-Pre is the only one allowed to read the book before she does the illustrations because she has to do the inside chapter art also, so hers actually do give something away about the story. The British cover is done "sight unseen" so to speak and only go by the name of the book which is why (in my opinion) the US covers are always more informative before the release.

papos_rane
March 8th, 2005, 4:53 pm

yes-IT DEFINATLEY LOOKS LIKE THE *****IEVE!! i imeaditaly thought that too.sorry for the bad speeeeling :p

ok..why did it star out the word pensieve oooo lol WHOOPS I SPEELED IT wrong,so it was kinda vulgar:Blushes:

Briar Filth
March 8th, 2005, 4:58 pm
yes-IT DEFINATLEY LOOKS LIKE THE *****IEVE!! i imeaditaly thought that too.sorry for the bad speeeeling :p

ok..why did it star out the word pensieve oooo lol WHOOPS I SPEELED IT wrong,so it was kinda vulgar:Blushes:

You're rather bonkers

Evansgirl
March 8th, 2005, 5:05 pm
Wow! Only 129 more days left......

Mizaru
March 8th, 2005, 5:08 pm

Oy...be comforted all you want...it added a sense of doom to me...(wasn't the veil on the OotP cover?)

DarkLady
March 8th, 2005, 5:08 pm
lol. The pensive (if thats what it is, it looks like it it though) looks kind of old and so does the book, so theres got to be something to do with history...hmmm....the book can't be Harry's because he'd probly get it new....well this has given us something else to ponder....i'm really excited again now!!!

Katze
March 8th, 2005, 5:13 pm
Alas, I change my mind...it's a pensieve...definitely.

However, I still think there are strong ties to Snape, since Snape used Dumbledore's pensieve in OotP to prepare for Occlumency lessons with Harry.

Briar Filth
March 8th, 2005, 5:17 pm
Wow! Only 129 more days left......

It sounds a lot closer when you say it like that! Yay! I can't wait....... Any GCSE students out there know if the HBP comes out before or after we get our results back? (I've been told, but I've forgotten, I think the results don't come till August, but I'll stop jabbering now)

AllanTheGreat
March 8th, 2005, 5:18 pm
Dumbledore's expression on the UK Children's Cover being pure wrath is a rather interesting explanation. Imagine him discharging all of that power and wrath on Voldemort...

And yet another eerie theory comes to my mind, what if Dumbledore sacrifices himself wasting all of his power and energy on defeating Voldemort, and Dumbledore dies and Voldemort isn't defeated?

Really distressing. I can't wait :):(

Sinistra
March 8th, 2005, 5:20 pm
I just watched a satellite feed of a video press release from Scholastic, with Mary GranPre, the U.S. illustrator of the series. She had an illustration of the cover, but also in the background was a piece of interior art. It was a stone archway (window-sized) and Harry(?) was looking out at a house elf, whose back was to us. The house elf wore a shirt or jacket and shorts, so I think we can safely assume that's Dobby there. That means Dobby is definitely in Book 6.

Mary GranPre talked about how she translated JK Rowling's detailed descriptions into art. And how she sometimes uses her own face to help get expressions. She talked about Harry's emotions and portraying them properly, so I also think Harry is in for another emotional year--like that is a surprise.

Hopefully I can get a video copy and get a transcript, but that's not a guarantee.

Phane00
March 8th, 2005, 5:20 pm
My thoughts on the covers:

The US:
Harry and DD appear to be looking at a pensieve. However, the green light makes me think that DD is probably not the only one with a pensieve in the series. Someone suggested earlier that it could be Slytherin's pensieve, which is a good possibility hence the green light. Maybe even LV's, and the green light might be the replay of the scene at Godric's Hollow. Snape doesn't have a pensieve, otherwise he would not have used DD's in OotP. This could also be how we learn more of LV's past, by viewing his pensieve.

The Adult UK:
Looks like Harry made it to NEWT Potions. However, it still does not suggest that he made the required O to enter Snape's class. I still maintain that a new teacher will take over Potions so that Snape can teach DADA, and that the new teacher has lower course requirements. As far as the book is concerned, I have a question. Does anyone remember the book that Hermione got the Polyjuice Potion from in CoS? Was the author mentioned?

The Child UK:
Harry and DD have mended their friendship to fight along side each other. Harry looks quite surprised, but DD is angry again, excellent. Harry and DD joining forces in a fight. It should make the tag-team of Hermione and Harry in the Battle in the Dept. of Mysteries look like a practice session. The circle of flames looks like it's from DD's wand, but it could be from DE's, LV, or even dragons. In any case, it looks like this time around instead of mopping up after Harry, DD is in the thick of it with Harry. A welcome change.

Edited to add: Why is this post here instead of in Divination Studies or History of Magic? It relates specifically to book 6, and most posts are making predictions. Sorry, just curious as to why.

Sinistra
March 8th, 2005, 5:22 pm
The book was Moste Potent Potions, but I don't remember the author. It was a very old book.

TheMuffinMan
March 8th, 2005, 5:28 pm
I just watched a satellite feed of a video press release from Scholastic, with Mary GranPre, the U.S. illustrator of the series. She had an illustration of the cover, but also in the background was a piece of interior art. It was a stone archway (window-sized) and Harry(?) was looking out at a house elf, whose back was to us. The house elf wore a shirt or jacket and shorts, so I think we can safely assume that's Dobby there. That means Dobby is definitely in Book 6.

Mary GranPre talked about how she translated JK Rowling's detailed descriptions into art. And how she sometimes uses her own face to help get expressions. She talked about Harry's emotions and portraying them properly, so I also think Harry is in for another emotional year--like that is a surprise.

Hopefully I can get a video copy and get a transcript, but that's not a guarantee.

Can someone show me this video clip everyone is talking about, where it showsa them introducing the cover art?

I doubt it has any signifigance, but I tried to find out what the author of the book ibn the adult UK book cover was, this is what I found:

"Lilyan Borag"

But I could be wrong... :shrug:

ETA: HI EMERSON! :clap: :rotfl:

Doggy
March 8th, 2005, 5:28 pm
I think all the food I just ate is throwing summersaults in my stomach. Each time something new, interesting comes out about the next book, I go nervous and suddenly realise how much I want to read the book, and how long a time there's left.

Anyway, I'm going with the pensieve idea, on the American version. And I'm also pretty sure that Dumbledore has to be pretty important in what happens in HBP, more than just being the mentor/professor/older wise guy figure that he's been in the first four books. More like a fighter, like in the end of OotP.

And what that flashy orange-y thing is on the children's colour, I have no idea. It's obviously some spell, since it's protruding from Dumbledore's wand. It may be doing so for Harry's as well, but his tip is blocked, so I don't know.

fonz
March 8th, 2005, 5:32 pm
Dumbledore would not die trying to kill Voldemort, it's pointless and he knows only Harry (or Neville) can kill him. However, if there's a situation where Harry needs help, I can imagine Dumbledore right by his side.

DarkSphynx
March 8th, 2005, 5:34 pm
Yay! I love the new covers. The UK child version I don't like so much because of the colour choices, but I absolutely adore the adult version. Intriguing about Harry and Dumbledore appearing on both the British and American covers. The Advanced Potion-Making is pretty interesting, too!

Mizaru
March 8th, 2005, 5:35 pm
I was just looking at the art on TLC (finally!). A quick correction on my past note: It's Dumbledore...I hadn't seen the glasses or beard this morning.

Also...the glow from the pensieve (if that's what it is...) doesn't look green to me - the haze around it is. The pensieve is actually glowing yellow, which maybe could be interpretted as silver (just diluting the green surrounding the object in question)

Draco Spirit
March 8th, 2005, 5:38 pm
intresting cover art.....

advance potions
flames
dumbldor
a little bowl....

more secret revilied?

phonix refrence (flames), maybe new spell or refernce to order?

advance potions.... so he does make the grade.... or maybe not!

still plenty to think on...

TheMuffinMan
March 8th, 2005, 5:39 pm
Yea, I agree. Dumbledore wouldn't do something as pointless as to try and kill Voldie.

Reading the battle at the end of OOTP showed that to us. What I wanna know, is what he meant by "things much worse then death".

I wonder what kinda thing Harry could do to Voldie...

IMO Dumbledore has to die. It's just necessary. No matter what anybody says, can't change my mind, Dumbledore is going to die. The only thing we have to think about is how he will die, and what kind of effect it will have on Harry/Wizardning World.

My preference?

Dumbledore dies to either weaken Voldie or dies protecting Harry, but before dying, he says some final words of wisdom/encouragement to Harry. Then Voldie probably gets cocky because he finally defeated Dumbly-door, and then Harry does something to kill him (Lame ending I know, but I'm really not going to even bother fathoming what JKR has planned for the defeat of Thomas Riddle)

intresting cover art.....

[QUOTE]a little bowl....

Pretty much everyone agrees that it's a pensive...

phonix refrence (flames), maybe new spell or refernce to order?

I'm bettin` on some new spell, or maybe just some ancient powerful spell that Dumblydoor uses because he's awesome...

advance potions.... so he does make the grade.... or maybe not

I'm rootin` for Harry makin the class. Whether it is because he actually got an O, or whether there's a new potions master that has lower expectations, is still to be decided....

StephyJ_83
March 8th, 2005, 5:40 pm
What makes me so excited is that DD will be involved more in this book! I loved how much we saw DD in GoF, and I was so mad how little we saw him in OotP. I think that one thing we can assume from these covers is that DD will take it upon himself to teach Harry. This makes me happy, because I love DD, and I was mad that he didn't teach Harry Occlumency himself and he ignored him. I think that DD will teach Legimens and Occlumency to Harry, and maybe other aspects of advanced magic to prepare him for LV. Maybe that's what Spinner's End is . . . where he will go to get some tutoring before he goes back to school (more time for tutoring in the summer holiday). Also, maybe DD will help Harry with his potions homework . . . :lol:
I am so excited for this book!!!! :clap:

TheMuffinMan
March 8th, 2005, 5:51 pm
I had a question earlier, that no one aswered, so I'm gonna post it, along with my views on the pensieve glowing green, adn the mist on the US cover:

Anyone have any idea why in the US cover, Harry has his wand at hand?

If he's looking into a memory, why do you think he feels the need to have his wand poised?

-----------------------

I think Dumbledore is using the pensive in a diferent fassion then we've seen before. We already have seen 2 diferent ways to use a pensive.

1. Dive directly into a memory, and walk along with the scenes.

or

2. Have the scene play out along the surface of the basin, like a kind of holographic message. Like in Star Wars...

Maybe the form of viewing a memory, that's depicted on the cover, is difernet from the other ways we've seen before, and that's why it was glowing green, and why there's a mist.

Also, another thing that6 backs me up that Dumbledores using the pensieve in a diferent way then we've seen is that:

When normally using a pensieve, you must either extract it from you head, wait for it to swirl, then dive into it.

OR, you must extract a memory, add it to the basin, then prod it with your wand, and the scene play out along the surface of the pensive.

But when looking at the cover, Dumbledore is holding his hand above the pensive, and Harry has his wand ready. Maybe holding your hand above the pensieve and muttering an incantation is a diferent way to use a pensieve, and has a diferent affect. Maybe the form in which DUmbledore is using it, creates a mist, and has a colored glow?

But I still wonder why harry feels the need to have his wand ready...

gymmuggle
March 8th, 2005, 5:52 pm
went a bit green this time didnt it?!? (the US version that is) I LOVE IT! and now im craveing to read it even more!!!!

biara
March 8th, 2005, 5:59 pm
i've been working it the PotionsBook to see if i could get the author.
it looks like "Liburius Borag"...

papos_rane
March 8th, 2005, 5:59 pm

:wow: !! YAY HES definatly passed potions theN!!!!! :tu:

JofpGallagher
March 8th, 2005, 6:01 pm
I love the U.S cover ...all green, my favorite color!!! At last our dear book 6 has a face!

Don't you think that Harry and Dumbledore are "disappearing" through looking at that potion or pensieve? They have only half bodies!

MarkLupin
March 8th, 2005, 6:04 pm
HBP US COVER:

Dumbledore and Harry look into something that could be a Pensieve. Could this mean Dumbledore takes over teaching Harry Occlumency?

HBP UK COVER (CHILD):

This one makes me think the most. Doesn't anyone remember how JKR said Dumbledore's patronus is a phoenix? Well if that light don't make you think of phoenixes now, what does it make you think of? Huh? :eyebrows:

HBP UK COVER (ADULT):

The books called "Advanced Potions Making" meaning Harry probably got an Outstanding for his Potions OWL and is advancing to Snape's NEWT class (unfortunately for him lol)

And Corbin Dallas, I said months ago that Nicholas Flamel was prob. the HBP, and you're the first person who i've found who thinks the same. Welcome to the club ! :welcome: :)

Azimuth
March 8th, 2005, 6:05 pm
I just found out about just now when it was on TV.

Wow.

Not sure about the blue/green colour scheme, though...

And as someone mentioned, it's kinda funny that they're looking at a pillar in the US one, like in the Pillar of Storge hoax.

TheMuffinMan
Is it ust me, or are the covers to the books getting plainer adn more simplified? (Sorry but I have the US version)

Take PS/SS:

Harry riding on a broom catching a snitch. Fluffy in the cave. Unicorn in the backround. Dumbledore running into the forest. Owl swooping down. Key falling to the ground. Intricate and colorful Detrails of the castle. Someone sneaking out from behind a curtain holding a candle. Star-filled curtain. Title engraved into stone arch-way.

Then there's Ootp:

Big close-up of Harry. Lots of candles. Lots of doors. Whole cover is tinted blue. Wafting letter's that spell the title. Tonks, Lupin, Moody, and sirius in back. Shadow at a door.

And now we look at the HBP covers...

PS/SS and GOF are the most intricate covers, the rest are kind of plain...

But maybe I'm just being picky...

JheartsL
has anyone noticed that in the uk child version in the bottom right hand corner theres something that apears to have horns or ears or something. harry and DD both appear to be looking at it. any thoughs?

TheMuffinMan
March 8th, 2005, 6:08 pm
i've been working it the PotionsBook to see if i could get the author.
it looks like "Liburius Borag"...

Well atleast I got the last name correct!

I inverted the colors, and I thought it looked like Lilyan Borag (or Borage)...

salem_phoenix
March 8th, 2005, 6:09 pm
-Green is a Slytherin color. Could this be relevant?
-I wonder if the penseive is different somehow. Perhaps it belonged to Godric Gryffindor, Tom Riddle, Lily Potter, etc. somebody in the past.
-Harry got into advanced potions?!
-Methinks Snape is the Half-Blood Prince.

biara
March 8th, 2005, 6:10 pm
has anyone noticed that in the uk child version in the bottom right hand corner theres something that apears to have horns or ears or something. harry and DD both appear to be looking at it. any thoughs? it looks like Dumbledore's robes appearing under the fire.

Snout
March 8th, 2005, 6:12 pm
I think Dumbledore is protecting Harry from something in the British childrens one, and in the American one, it looks to me as though Dumbledore is looking into the pensieve but doesn't recognise what he sees. I think he allows Harry to use it and they both watch thoughts he has long forgotten from when he was a baby. The look on Dumbeldores face looks as though something is new to him, and if it was his own thoughts then he wouldn't look like that.

JheartsL
March 8th, 2005, 6:12 pm
it looks like Dumbledore's robes appearing under the fire.

lol oh yeah! i see it now kk kl xx

OrlisGrape
March 8th, 2005, 6:13 pm
OMG Finally! I lve seeing the covers becuase it gives you clues from the book.
I think that bowl thingy is a penasive, and maybe dumbledore will show Harry something that happened between Voldie and Dumbledore-who knows?

The fire on the other cover- a new spell maybe, or the patronous, but patronuses are white and silver, so......

TheMuffinMan
March 8th, 2005, 6:14 pm
has anyone noticed that in the uk child version in the bottom right hand corner theres something that apears to have horns or ears or something. harry and DD both appear to be looking at it. any thoughs?

Lol, that's the hem of Dumbledores robes... :lol:

"Ahh Dumbledore! Your robe's on fire!"

"Great scott Harry! Your right! Lemon drop?" :rotfl: :rotfl:

Rwraith
March 8th, 2005, 6:14 pm
Ah, but it was the look on Levine's face when Roker first asked about Snape that told all. He needs to learn a better poker face. (Or maybe not.) I agree; it's Snape, but I've speculated that for a while now.

I've never really decided who the HBP was. But now I'll put my vote for Snape.

dorcasderr
March 8th, 2005, 6:18 pm
A couple of peole have wondered about Harry wielding his wand on the cover with the alleged penseive. Remember how a wand is used to stir the contents of a penseive? That's probably why he is holding his wand.

TheMuffinMan
March 8th, 2005, 6:21 pm
A couple of peole have wondered about Harry wielding his wand on the cover with the alleged penseive. Remember how a wand is used to stir the contents of a penseive? That's probably why he is holding his wand.

Yes, but it looks like Dumbledore is the one that's activating the pensive by raising his hand over it...

That would be more beleivable if it showed Harry prodding the pensive, or even have his wand over it, but it's dumbledore that has his hand over the pensieve, and Harry peering into it with his wand raised...

madeye55
March 8th, 2005, 6:23 pm
My initial feelings when I looked at the cover art was, 'WHAT!?!? THEY DON'T TELL US ANYTHING ABOUT THE 6TH BOOK....C'MON!!' After reading posts and looking at them again, I think they tell a lot, but I have no idea what. I have always thought that the opening chapter of HBP will reveal what happened that night in Godric's Hollow. But if that is the first chapter, I don't think Dumbledore would be with Harry right in the beginning and especially with a pensieve. I'm even more confused now, because I just thought of that fact this second, so now my whole theory is blown. The green light makes me think only of two things: either a very strong potion, or that night in Godric's Hollow, because everytime a green light is used in the quick images that Harry sees. I still believe that the opening chapter will reveal the events the night James and Lily were killed, but then again as I said before Dumbledore might not be there that soon. Hmpf. I'm so confused now.

iDream
March 8th, 2005, 6:25 pm
Wow! The covers are really cool and now I cant wait for the book to come out.

In the UK cover, it seems as though DD is trying to protect Harry by conjuring flames. But why would he need flames to battle a DE or Voldemort? Unless its a dark creature they're fighting...

Breanne
March 8th, 2005, 6:25 pm
Well now I'm certain Dumbledore dies.

eaimua
March 8th, 2005, 6:26 pm
Is the cover with advanced potions book conclusive that Harry got an O on his potion OWL? My guess would be that he is actually studying potion on his own, or through a private teacher. If he was in the potions class in Hogwarts its more likely that he would be using a new book,

Hedwig50
March 8th, 2005, 6:26 pm
I'm so excited that the cover has been released. How many books could you ever say that about??

I too am glad to see Harry and Dumbledore on both book covers. Maybe when Harry leaves the Dursleys early this time, he will be spending more time with Dumbledore. After all, he is the only adult figure that ever said that he loves Harry.

Anyway, the green light might be a memory that Harry has of the night his parents were killed. Maybe his actual memory will reveal more than the bits he remembers now. JKR did say we would learn more back story in book 6. Maybe it will also shed more light on Harrys green eyes, which are important to the story.

TheMuffinMan
March 8th, 2005, 6:29 pm
Well now I'm certain Dumbledore dies.

Though I don't know what there is, in the covers, that lead you to finalize your suspicions, but I agree...

Dumbledore must die...

Sad, though it is, he must die :sad:

MadMagic
March 8th, 2005, 6:29 pm
I don't know how I feel about the new cover (I'm talking about the American version since that's the one I'll be getting). I like the colors, but it looks rather empty. I guess it goes with the more specific focus of one event like the OotP cover. I'm sure the new cover will grow on me and it will fit in nicely with my other books.
As for what it means, the other US books usually (not always though) depict an event towards the end of the novel. I guess that trend could break though. It does seem to me that Harry and Dumbledore will be spending more time together though in this book as the UK version also featured the two of them on the cover.
I hope they release the art work from the back of the book as well, as it is usually a continuation of the front cover.

Kidney Pie
March 8th, 2005, 6:30 pm
On the Green U.S Cover Harry and Dumbledore appear to be gazing into a pensive. I wonder if they are gazing into a pensive. I don't know, but I had a feeling the next book cover would be green. Anyway, what do you think he and Dumbledore are looking at? Do you think Harry gets to look in his Mother's Pensive maybe?

Snout
March 8th, 2005, 6:31 pm
Ah. Idea. Dumbledores animagus might be a Phoenix (like his patronus). When he transforms he can have the Phoenixs power of appearing anywahjere at will. I think Harry is in a duel, he appears, transfigures quickly into a human and saves Harry, but dies whilst doing so. That would explain why there's fire and it looks as though his robes are materialising out of the fire. Also Harry has his wand raised which obviously means he is in a duel or fight. And look at their faces. Harry looks scared.

The fire however, is also coming from Dumbledores wand, maybe it's just a spell?

DarkSphynx
March 8th, 2005, 6:31 pm
I also think that Snape could be the HBP. It was always one of the people I kept at the front of my mind, and it would be amazing to be right :)

Originally Posted by madeye55
I have always thought that the opening chapter of HBP will reveal what happened that night in Godric's Hollow.
I've been pondering the very same thing. If it's been in the works since JK started writing book one, then it's definitely a possibility...

Back to the covers. The "Advanced Potion-Making" on the front of the UK Adult edition, I take to mean that either Harry's OWL Potions grade is acceptable by Snape's standards or there's something important involving a potion in the book.

Snout
March 8th, 2005, 6:34 pm
Yes, i think Harry will take potions, it's inevitable really, and i think that a potion will be significant also :).