Unfogging the Half-Blood Prince Cover Art v2.0

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Jinxie Cat
June 10th, 2005, 1:06 am
Version 1 (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=47034)

The covers of the HBP books are out and as such speculating on what's on them is a must! A picture of the American cover can be found here (http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/images/2005/03/scholhbpcover.html). The cover of the British adult's version is here (http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/images/2005/03/adulthbpbloomsbury.html) and the children's version, here (http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/images/2005/03/childhbpbloomsbury.html).

The last two posts from the old thread are:

Okay, so I JUST noticed this, and some of you all might think I'm crazy, but I don't think so...
go to this site and magnify it
http://www.veritaserum.com/books/book6/img/hbpcover-deluxe.jpg

Now, on the bottom right hand side of the cover, just above the broken fence, look real close...do you see it? A wolfish looking creature (Remus?) and a man (Snape?) sitting, leaning against something? And just above the wolfish thing's head, it looks as if other faces (DE's, Order Members) are drawn in the branches. And then, okay this is hard, but at the bottom of Dumbledore's robes (by his armpit I guess), and where Harry's arm starts, there is a branch that is drawn like Voldemort's face. I don't think he's there but the drawing might be trying to show us that wherever they are, it has to do with Voldemort (The Riddle House) perhaps. It would make sense that after the murders, it would be blocked and boarded up.

So maybe they aren't alone...perhaps Snape and Remus are with them. It looks as if there could be a full moon...I wonder what everyone is doing.

Oh please tell me someone else sees all this and I am not crazy. I nearly fell out of my seat when I noticed it.
AND

Um, I don't see any of this. I would say you're grabbing at smoke but then again someone was talking about the knife stuck in the tree and I was looking at the wrong spot. I don't think that the cover would give away too much.

Continue discussion please! :D

Desraelda
June 10th, 2005, 1:43 am
I'm not sure I see what you see, starrbryt, but on the spine, I think I see a lioness' head in the tree bark on the right side of the tree, where it kind of sticks out. I also saw one face at the end of the broken fence. I think others have seen this face before.

But then again, I see a person's face on the paper sticking out of the potions book on the adult cover (see my Avatar), and no one else seems to see it but me.

It's like one of those funny drawings where you can see either an old woman or a young girl. We all see something different.

JT_Bourne
June 10th, 2005, 2:33 am
Has anybody noticed that on the US Cover Harry is holding his wand in his left hand?

kingwidgit
June 10th, 2005, 3:25 am
Has anybody noticed that on the US Cover Harry is holding his wand in his left hand? Yes, the artist did the same for GoF and OoP.

Evilrabbit
June 10th, 2005, 4:47 am
Now, on the bottom right hand side of the cover, just above the broken fence, look real close...do you see it? A wolfish looking creature (Remus?) and a man (Snape?) sitting, leaning against something? And just above the wolfish thing's head, it looks as if other faces (DE's, Order Members) are drawn in the branches. And then, okay this is hard, but at the bottom of Dumbledore's robes (by his armpit I guess), and where Harry's arm starts, there is a branch that is drawn like Voldemort's face. I don't think he's there but the drawing might be trying to show us that wherever they are, it has to do with Voldemort (The Riddle House) perhaps. It would make sense that after the murders, it would be blocked and boarded up.

I don't see any of this, I only see tree branches. Maybe you could post a pic that zooms in on these details?

AngiePangie
June 10th, 2005, 6:40 am

Hmmm, nope I don't see any of that. I do think I see Snapes face, but I see it in the broken fence, rather than above it. The broken part of the fence looks like a face with a large nose to me.

But then again, I see a person's face on the paper sticking out of the potions book on the adult cover (see my Avatar), and no one else seems to see it but me.

It's like one of those funny drawings where you can see either an old woman or a young girl. We all see something different.

I see it too!! At first I thought you were nuts, I had to look closely for about a minute, but I do see it in there.

Desraelda
June 10th, 2005, 2:59 pm
I see it too!! At first I thought you were nuts, I had to look closely for about a minute, but I do see it in there.
Great!!! I'm not alone!!! Now we just have to figure out what it means or wait 35 days. I figure it's a bored student doing a sketch of the potions teacher. Since it's an old book, it's probably a drawing of the potions master before Snape, the one who put TR on the path to immortality. Just my own wild thoughts.

_hello_kitty_
June 10th, 2005, 3:01 pm
I dunno what the cover could mean...I mean, we can interpret it so many different ways...I can't wait until July 16!:D

chrisbll85
June 10th, 2005, 3:03 pm
usually the cover gives us a couple of clues but on this one I really don't see a lot of clues as the other books had on the front cover

Aliennation
June 10th, 2005, 3:47 pm
Has anyone seen the book jacket for the UK Children's version of the HBP? It has what appears to be a pensieve on the back with some sort of chest and two hands interlocked with a string of fire surrounding them. I wonder about the pensieve, that would make two books with pensieves on them, maybe the HBP really will be revealled through a pensieve.

Xeiqu
June 10th, 2005, 3:55 pm
Haha! I am almost sure my theory is right now!!

See the boat on the back of the Children's Edition? I reckon that under the school is a secret cave, and you access it using the boats!

I reckon the Pensieve is of Godric Gryffindor, and Dumbledore takes Harry there to show it. (US cover).

This also explains why we would see a man who looks like a Lion!

:D

werefrog
June 10th, 2005, 4:09 pm
I think that the hands entertwined with fire on the inside jackets are Harry's and Dumbledore's, showing the new bond that seems to be depicted on most of the covers.

The boat kind of surprised me, that was something that I wasn't expecting.

I wonder why both it and that pensieve are golden?

ornjbreezy
June 10th, 2005, 4:12 pm
See the boat on the back of the Children's Edition? I reckon that under the school is a secret cave, and you access it using the boats!

I reckon the Pensieve is of Godric Gryffindor, and Dumbledore takes Harry there to show it. (US cover).I'm rereading PS/SS right now, and the first years do in fact go through a tunnel underneath the school on their way to Hogwarts for the first time. The place on the jacket doesn't look much like Hogwarts, though. It could be that cemetary we've heard bits and pieces about. My first thought was Godric's Hollow, but that's really just a guess and I don't have anything to back it up.

The hands looking like they're arm wrestling appear to me to be Harry's and Dumbledore's. One is young, one is old, and it would make since because there's a picture of them on the front. I wonder what they're doing. What's the flame around the hands? Some sort of transfer of wizarding power? It seems we can only speculate about that importance. It seems as though Harry will be leaving Hogwarts again this year, from the looks of it. I doubt that he and Dumbledore would need to have a flaming arm wrestling competition just for the heck of it. :)

PotionStudent
June 10th, 2005, 4:15 pm
Anyone thought of "Phantom of the opera" seeing the boat? ;)

OK, at least that's a clue that the pensieve-like-thingy-on-a-pedestal is indeed on a pedestal, and somewhere well hidden.
I was thinking, could it be in a deep vault at Gringotts? Maybe after using the trolley-like transport, they have to use some boats to access the deepest and most secure vaults?

No idea on the hands.

Thuldorn
June 10th, 2005, 4:20 pm

I reckon the Pensieve is of Godric Gryffindor, and Dumbledore takes Harry there to show it. (US cover).

This also explains why we would see a man who looks like a Lion!

:D

Umm Secret Cave...Maybe a CHAMBER of Secrets....located in the SEWER whic should have lots of water therefor requiring a BOAT to get to certain spots.

Anyway that's my guess, the cover art is depicting something in the Chamber of Secrets that Harry and Dumbledore need to investigate.

Ginny1976
June 10th, 2005, 4:20 pm
I'm wondering about the ring on the spine of the cover. And that's just about it. I sit wondering with nothing in my head about what it could mean!

123LRSC
June 10th, 2005, 4:22 pm
Woo, the whole cover! It looks really interesting; I can't figure out what all the new clues mean, though. Possibly Harry inherits a magical ring? :shrug:

werefrog
June 10th, 2005, 4:24 pm
Oh, whoa, I didn't even notice the ring on the spine! A bit far-fetched, but maybe it's the ring that signifies that you're the Half-Blood Prince.

Oddsbodokins
June 10th, 2005, 4:26 pm

Ooh I said something about that underground passage that they take and I guess everyone thought I was crazy because no one commented. Remember this--->

'Heads down!' yelled Hagrid as the first boats reached the cliff; they all bent their heads and the little boats carried them through a curtain of ivy which hid a wide opening in the cliff face. They were carried along a dark tunnel, which seemed to be taking them right underneath the castle, until they reached a kind of underground harbour, where they clambered out on to the rocks and pebbles.

Of course the cave could lead to much more because the students only went through there one year!

Finally some people are thinking on the same wave length as me.

BCD
June 10th, 2005, 4:27 pm
Well, I guess we know fire will be important :lol: Did anyone else notice the huge ring on the top of the page? I zoomed in with PSP and it looks like there is a lightening bolt on it.

Also, there is no one in the boat, but in the water, something is reflected as if it is in the boat.

Hotmama2
June 10th, 2005, 4:29 pm
What's up with the 2 hands and the fire circling????

What's up with the boat?????

Oh.....35 days and counting down.........................

werefrog
June 10th, 2005, 4:30 pm
That is kind of weird- it does look like there's something in the boat in the reflection. Also I didn't notice the lightning bolt on the ring before. I wonder whether that is just coincedence, or what?

Aliennation
June 10th, 2005, 4:33 pm
It looks like the boat may be part of the vision from the penseive since it is surrounded by the same green light. Also, if you look at the reflection it looks like something is in the boat even though the boat appears to be empty.

Oddsbodokins
June 10th, 2005, 4:37 pm
Hey sorry but does anyone have the picture with the boat that they could put on here?

shimmers711
June 10th, 2005, 4:37 pm
The pensieve looks like the one that is on the American cover, and it has that green mist around it. I think that it is definatley in/around hogwarts. Also, that would mean that DD will show Harry this. It has to hold a secret. Also, the fire I think would represent the bond between Harry and DD.

werefrog
June 10th, 2005, 4:44 pm
http://i.mugglenet.com//june10/fullukhbpcover.jpg SO sorry abt. the size :cringe: I couldn't get it to resize no matter what

SageThyme
June 10th, 2005, 4:50 pm
The ring on the spine appears to have the Greek letter "sigma" and a rectangle.

Oddsbodokins
June 10th, 2005, 4:50 pm
ooh interesting! What's up with the fire brothers hand shake thing?
That boat thing...I'm betting on the first year entrance spot. Maybe one would have to go under the water to get to the entrance. It's either there or at Gringotts.

Maybe Harry has to go on some classic fantasy genre quest! Anyone, anyone?

Edit: The ring looks like it could have a lightning bolt in it too...some sort of talisman for Harry? A way for him to focus his power or keep Voldemort from entering his mind?

Ashkins
June 10th, 2005, 4:52 pm
When I saw the boat I thought the HBP could be a first year student.

*shrug*

It does look very interesting. Hmmm the boat is also a 'golden'. Wonder if that means something specific.

Oddsbodokins
June 10th, 2005, 4:53 pm
Maybe it's golden just because of the light. Why is it glowing so much anyway?

Aliennation
June 10th, 2005, 4:55 pm
When I saw the boat I thought the HBP could be a first year student..

hmm. Haven't thought of it that way. Very Interesting!

hotharry
June 10th, 2005, 5:03 pm
OMG! I just saw a full of the british cover. On the side cover is two hands holding eachother and then fire going around them. Since Harry and Dumbledore are on the front cover I think that is them griping eachothers hands, but why the fire weaving around them. Do you think they are doing some sort of spell together?

I wonder where that boat is though. It doesn't look like its a hogwarts boat. But it is interesting to wonder if the HBP is a first year. I think that boat looks more like it is in a cave.

I just had a thougt. What if the boat is something from the pensive becuase they are both highlighted in the same light. Something in the past happened with that boat.

Cine
June 10th, 2005, 5:11 pm
Well, now we definitely know that the pensieve IS going to play a big role in the book.

That boat sure is interesting. It looks like it's all in a cave, doesn't it? Some kind of underground cave you've got to use a boat to find.

Does anyone know if it was Mugglenet or Bloomsbury who removed the summary? Because I'd LOVE to read it. Must. Have. Spoilers. Now.

Aliennation
June 10th, 2005, 5:14 pm
Well, now we definitely know that the pensieve IS going to play a big role in the book.

That boat sure is interesting. It looks like it's all in a cave, doesn't it? Some kind of underground cave you've got to use a boat to find.

Does anyone know if it was Mugglenet or Bloomsbury who removed the summary? Because I'd LOVE to read it. Must. Have. Spoilers. Now.

I'm pretty sure that it was Bloomsbury that removed the text.

lil_jt_37334
June 10th, 2005, 5:20 pm
what if it is not a pensive but what was in the locked room at the Ministry? and DUMBLODORE is showing Harry it because, DUMBLODORE said harry had this in him and that was what kept He-who-must-not-be-named from killing him...?????

Briar Filth
June 10th, 2005, 5:23 pm
I was just looking through PS and I found this:

UK Paperback, Chp 5, Pg 59:
Once, he [Harry] thought he saw a burst of fire at the end of a passage and twisted round to see if it was a dragon, but too late - they [Harry and Hagrid] plunged even deeper, passing an underground lake....

Bold is mine.

Do you think that these scenes on the entire book cover are beneath Gringotts? I personally think they may be. I think it is interesting that the pedestal that holds the penseive[?] has a clawed foot at the bottom, like a dragon's foot.....

KlutzyFreak
June 10th, 2005, 5:25 pm
Did anyone notice the ring on the top of the spine of the book?
Itīs gold with a black stone, and it seems as there is a ligthningg bolton it. Itīs not on anyother HP book, I just checked.... Itīs a detail, but if itīs there, itīs important to the story...
Thoughts?

yrome
June 10th, 2005, 5:25 pm
sorry if someone posted this already, but the gate looks like a gate to a graveyard to me. maybe the "Hogwart's" graveyard, or wherever the Potters are buried (if they are buried, they could be cremated, or just put through the veil?????) is only accessible by boat, and that's why we haven't read about it yet! It would be about time to get to the graveyard, so it makes sense to me.

As for the ring, maybe it's the HBP's - it looked purple and that is the color of royalty, and the whole jewelry thing fits right in with royalty.

Lotario
June 10th, 2005, 5:27 pm
On the spine of the UK children edition of PoA is the head of a dog and on OotP a (Phoenix-?) feather. Both have a connection to the title of the book. . I'd say, that the ring on the spine has something to do with the HBP ( perhaps a family heirloom?).

lil_jt_37334
June 10th, 2005, 5:28 pm
well what about the green lights?

Briar Filth
June 10th, 2005, 5:29 pm
Itīs gold with a black stone, and it seems as there is a ligthningg bolton it. Itīs not on anyother HP book, I just checked.... Itīs a detail, but if itīs there, itīs important to the story...
Thoughts?

I think it's odd that the ring has a background of red, rather than blue and green like the rest of the cover. Perhaps the red signifies that it is another Gryffindor heirloom type thingy? Maybe it is something special created for Harry to help him defeat Volemort (hence the lightning bolt on it?)

hotharry
June 10th, 2005, 5:30 pm
Thoughts?

That is interesting. Maybe a ring will play an important part in the book, or they could have just put it on their for show. Who knows though, maybe one of the rings that Dumbledore has will do something special in the book, or maybe that is the way that all the member of the Order communitcates. Of course why didn't Harry notice the rings before?

Africanmuggle
June 10th, 2005, 5:35 pm
The emblem on the ring could also be a scar.

hotharry
June 10th, 2005, 5:38 pm

I guess that you mean the lighting scar. I was just thinking something. Maybe that ring is just a symbol of finding out how Harry defeated Voldermort excatly and how Voldermort save himself. I don't know why it would come in the form of a ring though. :shrug:

AubreeEmily
June 10th, 2005, 5:38 pm
ummm...about the fire.....Maybe the fire is the Helleopath thingies that luna said the ministry had...i dont know...thast just wut i think it mite be...but i think its on the children's UK edition....harry and dumbledore were surrounded by fire....so mayb thats them!

Oddsbodokins
June 10th, 2005, 5:39 pm
Maybe the ring of fire around the hands is some sort of wizard pact. Hey?

Briar Filth
June 10th, 2005, 5:40 pm

Harry's scar do you mean? Yes, a lightning bolt scar

Does anyone else think that the London Underground could possibly be linked with the Gringotts Underground? Do you think that JKR mentioned the fact that Dumbledore has 'a scar above his left knee which is a perfect map of the London Underground'? for no particular reaon at all, or because it's going to play some sort of part in HBP or Book 7? (Quote from U.K. PS, Chp 1, Pg 17)

I <3 Ron
June 10th, 2005, 5:44 pm
--Perhaps Dumbledore and Harry's entwined hands with the fire is some sort of transfer of power? Dumbledore knows now that he can't exactly baby Harry any more, and with the war about to explode on them he's obviously going to need to train Harry. But Harry has only had 5 years of school up to this point, and we know he's got his own special abilities but those can only take him so far. There's a reason that Voldemort fears Dumbledore, so maybe Dumbledore is trying to give Voldemort a reason to fear Harry as well.

--The boat on the back of the UK children's edition is really the most interesting part of the jacket I think. I mean it could simply be that they had to take a boat to wherever that Pensieve was. But I'm thinking that it has something to do with the Chamber of Secrets. Maybe if you exit the main pipe (that Harry took to get the the Chamber), theres a secret Channel of water. JKR said that Cos and HBP were linked, so could this be another of the Chambers secrets?

RavenEye
June 10th, 2005, 5:45 pm
The clasped hands
Both hands look like they belong to young people to me, you would expect much less muscle if the arm on the right came from someone as old as Dumbledore. Not that you can rule out that not being a very good drawing of an older person's arm. Looks like there's some wandless magic going on there anyway.

The watery cave with the boat and the font thing
We already know a cave with water in exists near Hogwarts from the First Years' arrival in PS. The boat also matches the description of those used. The thing is the underground harbour where the First Years disembarked does not seem to have been under the castle as such but next to it; since they then had to go up some steps in a passageway, across the grass in front of the castle steps and up the steps to the oak front doors of the castle.

The stone paving the font thing is standing on looks very reminiscent of the dais in the Death Room in the Department of Mysteries. Maybe this is a kind of Pensieve that allows you to see into whatever was through the arch in there.

The ring
The design on it looks more like a serpent than a lightning bolt to me. They seem to turn up everywhere: Slytherin, the Chamber of Secrets, Voldemort...

The only ring of any importance that has been mentioned so far was the one Kreacher tried to smuggle away during the cleaning of 12 Grimmauld Place.

The Noble and Most Ancient House of Black - OotP, UK
Several times Kreacher sidled into the room and attempted to smuggle things away under his loincloth, muttering horrible curses every time they caught him at it. When Sirius wrested a large golden ring bearing the Black crest from his grip, Kreacher actually burst into furious tears and left the room sobbing under his breath and calling Sirius names Harry had never heard before.
[emphasis mine]

I can't find a description of what the Black crest looked like though. The ring appears to have had particular importance to Kreacher for him to react the way he did.

NYCwitch920
June 10th, 2005, 5:46 pm

I think Bloomsbury removed the summary. I'm pretty sure because they didn't release it before saying that it would give too many things away. Now getting to this new cover art. I find the two hands and the circle of fire very interesting. Dumbledore must be teaching Harry some powerful magic. So does everyone now assume that stone basin featured in all these covers is a pensieve? It can't be anything else...

It's interesting to note that the "boat" is the same shade of green as the mist coming out of the "pensieve". :huh: Maybe if the pensieve is used to look back at a certain thought from the past, perhaps this boat can be useful in doing something similar?

Note: Could the picture of Harry and Dumbledore (I'm assuming it's Harry and Dumbledore) grasping hands be a moment of a transfer of some sort of power? They might be establishing some sort of link/bond/connection. The way that this fire is circling around their hands, it seems as though some sort of power is being transferred or shared from one person to the other.

DarkSphynx
June 10th, 2005, 5:58 pm
Wow, there are so many new things to ponder over now that we've seen the whole UK children's cover...

• The ring on the spine

I agree with the people who have suspected that the ring has a connection with the Half-Blood Prince, whoever that may be. A family heirloom sounds like the most likely option, but it could be something else entirely - it must be important, though, to make it onto the spine. Obviously it symbolises something, and as much as I'd like to say that it's Ron's wedding ring for Hermione, I can't really think what else it could be. We haven't been given enough information to speculate over one object properly. I'll go with a connection to the HBP for now.

• The Pensieve, boat and stream/river in a cave

This is really intruiging. The Pensieve, I'm assuming, is the same Pensieve that is on the cover of the American edition. So it must be very important to the story. It seems to be in the middle of this cave, raised above the water on a stone platform. This must mean it's important. A question now: do we know that this is Dumbledore's Pensieve? Somebody answer, please. Anyway, it seems fairly likely that Harry and Dumbledore make a special trip out to this Pensieve on a boat (they're standing over it on the American version). They might have been standing over it before it got put in this cave/tunnel, but I doubt it. Another thought -- perhaps this has a connection with the fire they seem to be fighting through on the cover? Maybe they do this while going to the Pensieve.

We also have to ask ourselves where this water is. Could it be a cave along the edge of the lake at Hogwarts? This seems the most likely option. We also have to consider the fact the Pensieve may not actually be where it is shown to be; cover art can be quite imaginitive, and maybe it's being shown in the place which Harry (and Dumbledore?) visit using this Pensieve. But the empty boat seems to imply the former idea.

I also notice that on both of the covers, the colour green is used around the Pensieve. Could this be symbolic? Green is a Slytherin colour, which could lead to either a connection with Slytherin itself, Death Eaters or evil. They are probably both green for a reason.

• The two hands clasping with bonds(?) of fire(?)

This is about as interesting as the Pensieve picture. We do not have anything to explain to us what this is, but it's blatantly significant. The fiery looking thingermabobber (<-- sorry, but we don't know what it is) could either be bonds or a symbol of the owner of the hands' unity. The latter seems more likely than the first, although having no idea of the plotline of the book we can't really decide either way.

The second thing I noticed was that the hand/arm on the left seems young (Harry, most likely) while the hand on the right is old (veins prominent, skin worn). Here is a list of possible owners of this hand/arm (that sounded strange):-

• Dumbledore: This seems pretty likely, because Harry and Dumbledore are together on the cover and also because it seems plausible that they would have a special bond.

• Lupin: He has grey(ing) hair, so it's not entirely out of the question that his appearance is generally worn. After all, he is a werewolf and that must have some toll on him.

• McClaggan:Well, he's a new character and we don't know his role in the story. But I doubt it's him.

• Godric Gryffindor: Seems more likely than McClaggan, anyway. Is he dead, or do we not know? And it's definitely possible that he'd have some kind of bond with Harry or something would symbolise their unity, like Dumbledore.

• The Half-Blood Prince: If the HBP is not one of the above, then this seems very likely. He is the subject of the title, after all, and it's very plausible that Harry would have some interaction with this person.

Or it could be somebody entirely different. But the above are the ones which first came to mind, and if the discussion on the hands is continued I'll offer more of my opinions on each one of those. Sorry for the length of my post, maybe if you bore easily you could scan in and find parts you agree or strongly disagree with.

baekjool
June 10th, 2005, 5:58 pm
When I saw the boat on the back cover I remembered in SS/PS when Harry went to the Dark Forest he mentions that he heard a stream of water nearby, but we never get to see it or hear about it again, and there was some additional HBP art released where Harry and Dumbledore were walking in what appeared to be the Dark Forest. Do you think they are connected?

Mikokunsaki
June 10th, 2005, 6:08 pm
The hands could be symbolic of unity between wizards, ie half-bloods and purebloods. I don't think one of the hands is Dumbledore because it looks to young. On the hand on the right, is that veins or scars running along the forearm?

I've been doubtful of the covers being of pensieves, but perhaps it is an old stone one on the UK back. Is that a dragon foot? It could be, but it could also be a gryffin foot. Something to do with Godric Gryfinndor? I didn't think such a large glow emitted from pensieves... perhaps it is just an exaggeration of the artist's. The reflection by the boat seems to suggest that the water is not very shallow, because it looks like stones, but there is also objects in the water I think. Is it a scroll of some sort? And is that definetely a lightning bolt on the ring?

I think the Underground Lake under Gringotts is a definite possibility. So is the lake with the Giant Squid, but I'm leaning more towards Gringotts. Would the MoM have a lake also? It is, after all, also underground. The London Underground connection is interesting because I've been wondering for a while whether that line back in Philosopher's Stone was merely humerous, or foreshadowing. Since the MoM is underground, and Gringotts is partly underground, and possibly other magical institutions then it would make sense that there are secret or disused stations that would explain Dumbledore's map-scar. There are already many stations in existance that are no longer in use, including ones used by Churchill and his War Cabinet during the Second World War. I think this is a very interesting thing, and I'm wondering whether JK is going to include it in her series.

NYCwitch920
June 10th, 2005, 6:14 pm
This must mean it's important. A question now: do we know that this is Dumbledore's Pensieve? Somebody answer, please. Anyway, it seems fairly likely that Harry and Dumbledore make a special trip out to this Pensieve on a boat (they're standing over it on the American version).

I don't think it is Dumbledore's pensieve. Dumbledore keeps his pensieve in his office inside some type of desk/wardrobe/closet (I forgot what exactly it was). I can't really imagine why his would be placed on a dais. The pensieve in the cover art has to be a much older pensieve belonging to someone else. It seems as though it has been there for a long time and was built onto the ground. Dumbledore's pensieve is one he can carry around. I doubt Dumbledore would ever take his own pensieve anywhere outside his office in case someone happens to stumble upon it. However, you could be right. Who knows?

Now the thing about them traveling on that boat. That can't be a normal boat. Doesn't it look odd with that green color? It seems as though something would happen to whomever stepped inside it. Perhaps it has some similar properties as a pensieve since it has that same eerie green color.

We also have to ask ourselves where this water is. Could it be a cave along the edge of the lake at Hogwarts? This seems the most likely option.

I agree with you on this one. Harry and Dumbledore wouldn't travel beyond Hogwarts or the surrounding area during the school year. It would just be odd if they did because Harry has never gone beyond the school grounds anywhere in the entire series unless it was Christmas time or the summer. Therefore, this area is somewhere around Hogwarts or in Hogsmeade and I very much doubt it's in Hogsmeade!

Kevin
June 10th, 2005, 6:15 pm
First of all, the gem in the centre of the ring looks cracked to me, so it may not be anything to do with Harry or Voldemort (i zoomed in on it in photoshop).
The hands encircled in fire looks very much like the fire that surrounds Dumbledore and Harry, so it could point to Dumbledore giving Harry power or Harry and Dumbledore working together to protect themselves from something or someone.
There are 3 possible places from where that boat may have come from:
1. The cavern is under Hogwarts - perhaps reached via the forbidden forest etc
2. The cavern is in gringotts and like people have already mentioned, might point to Dumbledores scar which is a perfect map of the london underground
or
3. It is somewhere new, that we have not as yet heard of....

I like the cover art more now, with the compelete picture of it.

MPPMarauderGirl
June 10th, 2005, 6:15 pm
1) It seems very likely that the hands are Dumbledore and Harry's. The cloaks they are wearing on the front match in color to the ones on the back with the two faceless hands. The real question is, what are they doing? Transferring powers? Perhaps Dumbledore is teaching Harry magic to make him the most powerful wizard in the world?

2) The boats glowing. What could that possibly mean? It glows along the wall and a reflection (I weird mis-shaped reflection, at that). I have read through here but I didn't see anyone point out the weird looking... carvings, perhaps? on the wall. There are patches of dark carvings that immediately caught my attention when looking at the cover. The bottom part of the "carving" is also illuminated by the boat.

3) I think it's entirely possible that it's right where the first years pass every year. Why do I think this? Simple: they wouldn't notice. While they were extremely eager to get into the castle or too mesmerized by the glimpse of it they already had (depending on where this cavern is located) they wouldn't notice a chamber off of where they were entended to go.

4) As for the ring, I have no idea. Gold and purple are always linked with royalty, aren't they? Very promonent colors for a book about a Prince. Could it be the Half-Blood Princes? And what's that Pensieve for anyway? It's very likely, to me, that if it is in Hogwarts, than it could be Gryffindors. Slytherin left behind a Chamber, and what makes us so sure that Gryffindor didn't leave behind a cavern filled with a Pensieve of his thoughts? Can those thoughts stay there for a thousand years? And is the fire in any shape linked to Fawkes (who becomes very helpful in book 2)?

5) Can anyone bring a link to the American cover? I believe someone mentioned Snape's face in the background, and branches and such. I'd like very much to look at that. These covers are amazing! :)

Fuchsia
June 10th, 2005, 6:18 pm
The hands encircled with fire is interesting since the cover features Dumbledore and Harry surrounded by fire. The hands must be theirs.

Munin
June 10th, 2005, 6:18 pm
The moment I saw the cover I thought the arms made me think of Harry and Dumbledore (one arm looks much older) also the covers portraying Harry and Dumbledore almost depict them as equals - they're fighting together instead of Harry standing in the corner while Dumbledore fights... I always thought the fire was less a threat to Dumbledore and Harry than whatever was beyond it... possibly the fire is some sort of protective action on the part of Fawkes... The two arms made me think about Harry and Voldemort's wands at the end of GOF...

NYCwitch920
June 10th, 2005, 6:22 pm
2) The boats glowing. What could that possibly mean? It glows along the wall and a reflection (I weird mis-shaped reflection, at that). I have read through here but I didn't see anyone point out the weird looking... carvings, perhaps? on the wall. There are patches of dark carvings that immediately caught my attention when looking at the cover. The bottom part of the "carving" is also illuminated by the boat.

I thought about the boats glowing too. Both the pensieve and the boat are giving off that eerie green color and I thought it signified some similarity between them. Perhaps the boat is similar to a pensieve in some way. The first thing that popped into my head was time travel. Maybe if you get on the boat and circle around the pensieve, you go deeper into the thoughts. That is probably the craziest theory I have come up with to date but I really can't think of any other reason why the boat has the same color as the pensieve.

I also noticed those carvings. Strange. I hope we get hi-res pictures of the cover later on. Or better yet, back cover pictures of the American edition! :p

MPPMarauderGirl
June 10th, 2005, 6:24 pm
Hey, this may have been mentioned before, but follow this link: http://www.mugglenet.com/viewer/?image_location=hbpdeluxe.jpg

Look on the left hand side, by the oak tree. There's what appears to be a face! I actually found it extremely creepy. :scared: Do you see it? It's the light part peering from behind the tree. As though watching Dumbeldore and Harry along their journey. Are they going toward the pensieve? :scared:

silver ink pot
June 10th, 2005, 6:26 pm
Maybe I am crazy, but those hands look like a man and a woman's hands to me, and the knot looks like a marriage knot, an old-fashioned way of becoming married or engaged. My niece and her husband did a handfasting at their wedding!:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v624/sip44/HBPBritishBackCoverKnot.jpg

http://bookweb.kinokuniya.co.jp/bimgdata/FC0954296311.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/k_garber/history.html
In the British Isles, Handfasting was the old pagan ritual of marriage and it remained legal in Scotland all the way up to 1939, even after Lord Harwicke’s Act of 1753 declaring that marriages in England were legal only if performed by a clergyman.After Lord Harwicke’s Act, the Scottish border town, Gretna Green became a mecca for eloping couples from England who fled there to perform their own Handfastings. In those times, the couple themselves performed the Handfasting before witnesses. It was also used in Scotland for the engagement period of a year and a day before a wedding was proved.

Maybe the ring has something to do with a wedding? JKR did say that Harry would be staying only a short time on Privet Drive and he would have a happier reason for leaving this time.

olin
June 10th, 2005, 6:28 pm
I also wonder--whose memories are in this pensieve,if that is what it is? ... That is what seems important. It also seems that Harry and Dumbledore are travelling to a lot of "exotic" places in this book

NYCwitch920
June 10th, 2005, 6:28 pm
Hey, this may have been mentioned before, but follow this link: http://www.mugglenet.com/viewer/?image_location=hbpdeluxe.jpg

Look on the left hand side, by the oak tree. There's what appears to be a face! I actually found it extremely creepy. :scared: Do you see it? It's the light part peering from behind the tree. As though watching Dumbeldore and Harry along their journey. Are they going toward the pensieve? :scared:

I think I see the face! That is scary! There's one that looks like it's on the tree (looks like Snape) and there's another strange white shape on the bottom left-hand corner that looks like a white outline of a person spread-eagled on the ground. :scared:

Edit: Silver ink pot , that is really interesting about the marriage thing. I doubt a marriage would be so important as to appear on the cover art though. I think the thing with a fire circling the hands is only related to Harry and Dumbledore doing some sort of spell or transfer of power. We know that Dumbledore and Harry are surrounded by fire in the British cover so I assume it's strictly about them. I'm not ruling out a wedding happening in the beginning of the book...I was thinking we might be seeing one too. :tu: (Although not having anything to do with fire)

redhanded
June 10th, 2005, 6:34 pm
Are we sure that's a penseive? its glowing with green light, and the penseive has always been with silver light hasn't it?

Does anyone else think that it looks like they're in an underground cave? with a lake (duh) at the back behind the boat looks like it could be cave walls to me...

Also - the fire encircling the hands on the back cover - could that not be a smaller version of *** fire encircling Harry and Dumbledore on the front cover? Could they be casting a spell of some sort. Having said that I also think that the hands on the back cover do look like a man and a woman's hands...

arrgh, can't wait till July 16th!

P.S.

I think I see the face! That is scary! There's one that looks like it's on the tree (looks like Snape) and there's another strange white shape on the bottom left-hand corner that looks like a white outline of a person spread-eagled on the ground.

I really can't see the face :( can anyone describe precisely where it is? I thought the white outline looked like a stream...

Fuchsia
June 10th, 2005, 6:37 pm
Are we sure that's a penseive? its glowing with green light, and the penseive has always been with silver light hasn't it?

Silver light for the living. What if it holds the thought of someone who is dead and is therefore different colored?

MPPMarauderGirl
June 10th, 2005, 6:37 pm
I think I see the face! That is scary! There's one that looks like it's on the tree (looks like Snape) and there's another strange white shape on the bottom left-hand corner that looks like a white outline of a person spread-eagled on the ground. :scared:

I think I've seen something else! Look at the tree, by the face and look diagonally upward and see a light human-looking thing, curled up as though frightened. It appears naked and has a black outter lining of it... Maybe it's not even a human at all. :scared:

silver ink pot
June 10th, 2005, 6:40 pm
Close up of the Ring, and with inverted colors:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v624/sip44/HBPBritishBackCoverRing.jpg

Edit: Silver ink pot , that is really interesting about the marriage thing. I doubt a marriage would be so important as to appear on the cover art though. I think the thing with a fire circling the hands is only related to Harry and Dumbledore doing some sort of spell or transfer of power. We know that Dumbledore and Harry are surrounded by fire in the British cover so I assume it's strictly about them. I'm not ruling out a wedding happening in the beginning of the book...I was thinking we might be seeing one too. (Although not having anything to do with fire)

I'll save your post in case I'm right, LOL. :evil: Because I don't think those hands are Harry's and Dumbledore's, but a man and a woman's. It is the way they are clasped that makes me think they aren't Harry's and Dumbledore's. And the knot is a marriage knot, I'm pretty sure.

Has anyone else here ever seen a handfasting? There has to be someone here who knows what that is. :huh: Hello?

exiguusmus
Maybe the ring has something to do with a wedding? JKR did say that Harry would be staying only a short time on Privet Drive and he would have a happier reason for leaving this time.
Or it could be looking backwards to James and Lily's marriage.

redhanded
Silver light for the living. What if it holds the thought of someone who is dead and is therefore different colored?

Good point, or maybe different penseive's are different colours according to their owners? We've only seen Dumbledore's penseive after all....

The ring could be a wedding ring? Or maybe a signet ring, like royal families have - would tie in with the Prince thing

MPPMarauderGirl
June 10th, 2005, 6:41 pm
The "R" in Potter has a weird shaped branch near it. It almost looks like the handle of a knife.

NYCwitch920
June 10th, 2005, 6:42 pm

:whistle: I never thought of that before. That's actually a really good idea and very possible. It makes sense too! That would explain a lot. This pensieve looks like an ancient one and it willl probably end up being a pensieve of someone who has died.

MPPMarauderGirl, I don't seem to see the other "human" but the other things we've seen already creeped me out! Scary pictures, I tell you.

I'll save your post in case I'm right, LOL. Because I don't think those hands are Harry's and Dumbledore's, but a man and a woman's. It is the way they are clasped that makes me think they aren't Harry's and Dumbledore's. And the knot is a marriage knot, I'm pretty sure.

If you're right about the rings, you can get me back with that post I wrote! :lol: My first impression of the picture was that it was a man and woman grasping hands too. Then the hand on the right looked kind of "wrinkly". I assumed it had to be Dumbledore. You could be right.

MatthewMazer
June 10th, 2005, 6:46 pm
Do wizards need their wands handy when using a pensieve? I don't remember Harry using one when "operating" a pensieve in any of the other books, so why would he need a wand if the pot on the cover were actually a pensieve?

MPPMarauderGirl
June 10th, 2005, 6:47 pm
:whistle: I never thought of that before. That's actually a really good idea and very possible. It makes sense too! That would explain a lot. This pensieve looks like an ancient one and it willl probably end up being a pensieve of someone who has died.

MPPMarauderGirl, I don't seem to see the other "human" but the other things we've seen already creeped me out! Scary pictures, I tell you.

I had thought the Pensieve was Godric Gryffindors. But since it illuminates green, maybe it's Slytherins? Maybe JKR had Harry discover it while in the Chamber, and then we see the "lion-man" in it, and see how Slytherin viewed Gryffindor. Maybe that's the thing JKR took out of Chamber of Secrets. That Harry would have found it in the Chamber, but decided to keep it until book 6?

As for what's in the picture, it's the only other light spot on the tree. Right before the tree meets the green of the book's box. It's right near the blue part, on the right of the tree. Oh, I wish I had some way to key in on it, but I don't! :(

PS: On the same note: The "R" in Potter has a weird shaped branch near it. It almost looks like the handle of a knife.

Mikokunsaki
June 10th, 2005, 6:49 pm
I think you need a wand to empty your memories into the Pensieve, but not the read them. I think it seems like memories of either someone who is very very old or dead.

NYCwitch920
June 10th, 2005, 6:53 pm
I had thought the Pensieve was Godric Gryffindors. But since it illuminates green, maybe it's Slytherins? Maybe JKR had Harry discover it while in the Chamber, and then we see the "lion-man" in it, and see how Slytherin viewed Gryffindor. Maybe that's the thing JKR took out of Chamber of Secrets. That Harry would have found it in the Chamber, but decided to keep it until book 6?

As for what's in the picture, it's the only other light spot on the tree. Right before the tree meets the green of the book's box. It's right near the blue part, on the right of the tree. Oh, I wish I had some way to key in on it, but I don't! :(

Oh, I see where you're looking. There might be something there but it's such a small area that it could be anything. I wish they would give us hi-res images of all the covers. :sad:

I think the pensieve could belong to anyone who's dead, even Godric Gryffindor. I don't think the green color necessarily means it's a Slytherin. I would go with the idea posted before about the color signifying that it's a pensieve belonging to someone who is no longer alive. However, your idea of it belonging to Slytherin is great too. It could belong to anyone...

MatthewMazer
June 10th, 2005, 6:54 pm
I think it seems like memories of either someone who is very very old or dead.

If that's the case, I hope it's either Gryffindor's or Slytherin's. This could semi-validate the notion that Gryffindor is the HBP.

Oddsbodokins
June 10th, 2005, 6:58 pm
The boat could also be an image of what's being seen in the pensieve?

glenien
June 10th, 2005, 7:02 pm
Thoughts?

Could it be this ring?

(OotP, Chapter 6) Several times Kreacher sidled into the room and attempted to smuggle things away under his loincloth, muttering horrible curses every time they caught him at it. When Sirius wrested a large golden ring bearing the Black crest from his grip, Kreacher actually burst into furious tears and left the room sobbing under his breath and calling Sirius names Harry had never heard before.

Edit: Sorry, somebody had mentioned that. But I am pretty sure that:
1) The ring is only and only Half Blood Prince's ring. No marriages nothing else.
2) The hands are Dumbledore's and Harry's, no doubts, no over-analysing.

This is the cover, guys, it can only reveal the most important part of the pilot, it has to be related to Half Blood Prince. And thinking of it, I think this may be the book where Dumbledore dies and passes his powers to Harry. There are lots of signs of solidarity between them.

And the ring? Maybe it belongs to Black family and the Blacks inherited it from a Dark Wizard (who may be Half Blood Prince) ?

MatthewMazer
June 10th, 2005, 7:02 pm
Has anyone seen the official Harry Potter "Countdown" stands at places like Barnes n Noble? Did anyone notice it is like an extended edition of the illustration (there were figures on the bottom of said stand)? I don't remember what all was included on the bottom of this stand...the only things I remember are faces, and the Dark Mark. I assumed the bottom of the stand was the portion of the illustration which is to appear on the back cover of HBP.

dragonfiend
June 10th, 2005, 7:04 pm
Has anyone else noticed that the ring is cracked in exactly the same zig zag lightning bolt shape that Harry's scar on the cover is? I checked and it even zig zags in the same direction. Also I think the clasping hands look like a child and an adult/teenager. Harry and the Half-Blood Prince? I don't think it is Harry and Dumbledore because on the cover Dumbledore is wearing a white shirt under his robe while Harry really is wearing a dark colored sweater pushed up at the sleeve.

HarryPotter
June 10th, 2005, 7:08 pm
I've just seen the back cover, and I have a few theories...

The hands belong to Harry and Dumbledore, because of the colour, texture, age of their skin, and because comparing with the clothes they wear on the front cover they look pretty simillar. Also the firey ray looks quite a bit like the spell coming out of Dumbledore's wand.

I think that probably both Dumbledore and Harry will have to go across that forest depicted on the other cover, till they reach that lake of this back cover, they will take it and reach the Pensieve on that pillar, that would be the same as the one on the other cover, with the green flames and all.
Now I believe that Pensieve is not Dumbledore's, but someone else's, they are going to dig into the memories of someone really powerful

Could it be the Half-Blood's Prince Pensieve? Someone who left his memories protected into a very dangerous place, keeping them safe until the chosen one could see them?

in any case, I'm positive Harry and Dumbledore will have to unite forces/powers to do something really important for the plot.

The Ring... the mark on it resembles awfully a lightning bolt shape, but comparing it with Harry's, they have clearly a different shape. Could it just be broken?

One wild theory: JKR said that there were elements on the film of PoA that made her get goosebumps, because they were so foreshadowing of what was going to come.
Draco, Crabbe and Goyle were wearing golden rings. Could it be related with those rings? If so, the ring would have to do with Slytherin
Could it be a symbol of purebloods? It is broken... someone who they thought was pureblood but wasn't and got his/her ring broken?
Is the Half-Blood Prince a Slytherin? Too many green-snakey-dragonish symbols on the covers...

Luned
Is it me or is there writing on the cave wall, just above the boat? I can't tell whether it's shadows or words.

There is definately a reflection in the water of the boat having something in it, but we can't see anything in the boat, unfortunately.

The two hands are interesting, at first I thought it was Dumbledore and Harry, now I'm not so sure.

I think because Dumbledore's on the front cover he has a more important role in the book, even more so then he has done in all the others.

Mizaru
Edit: Silver ink pot , that is really interesting about the marriage thing. I doubt a marriage would be so important as to appear on the cover art though.

On the contrary! I think it could be very important to the plot...say, if it were a full-blood and a muggle born, thus producing a half-blood offspring...

Does this cover make anyone else lean away from the pensieve theory? My mental image was always one more like a bowl, not a bird bath. I mean, it could be an older one, but I just don't think it is... I'm probably wrong, usually am :rolleyes:

Saz_k
June 10th, 2005, 7:10 pm
i think, the two hands are harry and the hbp joining forces because they know they are stronger than Lord v (sorry if its been said i have not read all the posts) the back cover in somwhere under hogwarts, some sort of really strong magic dumbledoor is protecting (it has been said that hogwarts is prehaps the safest place on the planet)

redhanded
June 10th, 2005, 7:11 pm
Does this cover make anyone else lean away from the pensieve theory? My mental image was always one more like a bowl, not a bird bath. I mean, it could be an older one, but I just don't think it is... I'm probably wrong, usually am :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Yes, I agree, it could be something slightly different to a penseive, but it does have certain similarities, I pictured it like a bowl too, but as this has green light we can assume that if it is a penseive its not Dumbledore's one. Perhaps its possible to have different shapes of penseive, characterized according to the person who owns it?

shimmers711
June 10th, 2005, 7:13 pm
Hmmm...being the HBP is a good guess. Many people are thinking that the HBP is bad or evil, but what if it is good and helping Harry out with whatever the spell is. The ring does have a resemblence to Harry's scar, but it does seem as well defined as on harry's head. I am still trying to figure out why the boat is glowing.

Briar Filth
June 10th, 2005, 7:17 pm
PS: On the same note: The "R" in Potter has a weird shaped branch near it. It almost looks like the handle of a knife.

I see it! I've heard people talking about it before, but I never knew what they were on about. Very odd! I wonder why it's there or who it belongs to.

MPPMarauderGirl
June 10th, 2005, 7:30 pm
Is it me or is there writing on the cave wall, just above the boat? I can't tell whether it's shadows or words.

I thought there were carvings on the wall as well. COS, the link to HBP, is the only book that has writing on the wall. I do wonder though. On the HBP deluxe edition, there appears to be a knife near the "ER" in POTTER; you can clearly see the handle. Gryffindor had a sword in book 2, and now there appears to be a knife on the cover of book 6.

I see it! I've heard people talking about it before, but I never knew what they were on about. Very odd! I wonder why it's there or who it belongs to.

It could be a sword, as well. But I'm not entirely sure if it is. The only reason I think it may be, is because of COS and Gryffindor's sword. Maybe it's this book when he finds out he's related to GG? It does look like a knife, because it looks like you can only cut something with one side of it. However, it could be double-dipped, so-to-speak; meaning, it does appear to have a little bit of an edge at the top.

silver ink pot
June 10th, 2005, 7:31 pm
Clasped Hands are a universal wedding symbol.
http://images.google.com/images?q=wedding+hands&ie=ISO-8859-1&hl=en&btnG=Search+Images

I don't know if the ring has anything to do with a wedding or not. It could be a ring that Harry inherits from Sirius.

My kids and I were talking about the picture, and they came up with some interesting ideas.

The Half-Blood Prince might not even be born yet. For instance, if someone got married in the book in June, they could have a baby by March of the school year in the book. Harry might have to help protect the prince.

My son said, why would a baby be important, since he won't even be two years old by the end of the series? Well . . . Harry was a baby at the beginning of the series, so it would be full circle. Harry might help protect the HBP in Book 7, just as he was protected as a baby.

I don't think I'm overanalyzing, since no one else knows whose hands those are on the cover. :rolleyes:

FLASH_RUPERT
June 10th, 2005, 7:37 pm
Woo, the whole cover! It looks really interesting; I can't figure out what all the new clues mean, though. Possibly Harry inherits a magical ring?

hey where's the ring?>....i mean on which cover page? adult...or what?

in the US deluxe cover page .......on the side of it......in the bottom i can see ashadow figure......can u guys see that or is it just me?

glenien
June 10th, 2005, 7:38 pm
Could it be a symbol of purebloods? It is broken... someone who they thought was pureblood but wasn't and got his/her ring broken?

I totally agree with that. The ring looks too much evil to me. It has a dark stone which is never a good sign.

daz
June 10th, 2005, 7:41 pm
Well i dont think its Dumbledore and Harry with there hands clasped unless they have planes to get married. Maybe its Lilly and James as we do know there is stuff we dont know about Lilly.

PotionStudent
June 10th, 2005, 7:43 pm
But for marriage, we don't know any good candidates for marriage... The kids are too young :p , the teachers too busy, no engaged couple around. The only "marriable" couples would be Percy/ Penelope (but I doubt Percy took the time to have a sentimental life! ), or Fred and George with the girls who were dancing with them at the Yule ball - but idem, they seem too busy for homemaking. Or Bill and Fleur, but that seems soooooo farfetched.

Oh, oh, I know.... Snape and Tonks! ;) (joke!)

Anyhow, the theory of a magical ring and power "exchange" or whatever via the handshake seems more probable for me, in my humble opinion

FLASH_RUPERT
June 10th, 2005, 7:44 pm
this is what i can see in these three cover pages:
~ UK cover page:
harry dumbledore ..they look a bit strange....dumbledore has used a spell or maybe is showing harry some kind of spell so powerful....it seems like that spell is protecting them frm something b/c it's kind of .....aroung both of them..

~ UK adult cover:
an old potions book in an old house......the book is not in it's good shape....maybe it belongs to DD or snape.....

~ US deluxe cover:
looks like they're trying to find something maybe someone's house as seen in UK ADULT COVER....looks like they're in the forest or something...i can see a shadowy figure on the side bottom of the cover.....as i mentioned earlier

HarryPotter
June 10th, 2005, 7:46 pm
I've modified a bit the "wall" with Photoshop, using curves and ink contours, to see if that helped to identify better the "message"

http://www.cosforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24474&stc=1

I see "Sevesh" (Severus?), or something of the kind.

I have a theory about the cave: Gringotts? Where better to keep a very valuable Pensieve than there?

There are definitely areas with water in Gringotts Bank (Harry manages to see a lake on his travel down to the vault in PS)

*Thinking*

PotionStudent
June 10th, 2005, 7:47 pm
I agree on Gringotts

Oddsbodokins
June 10th, 2005, 7:49 pm
I totally agree with that. The ring looks too much evil to me. It has a dark stone which is never a good sign.
:rotfl: I don't think that the ring has a particularly evil look to it myself...I don't think that most inanimate objects are evil. I disagree that just because it has a dark stone, it must be a dark or evil ring. You could be right though!

I think that it will most likely be ---->

The Black ring (which could be magical for all we know)
The Half Blood Prince ring
A talisman that protects Harry's mind from Voldemort
Something that helps Harry chanel his energy?
A wedding ring
Maybe if we build off of a list for everything on the cover we wont repeat as many ideas and we could organize what has and has not been already suggested?

glenien
June 10th, 2005, 7:50 pm
I've modified a bit the "wall" with Photoshop, using curves and ink contours, to see if that helped to identify better the "message"

I think I can see the word "alive" in it! Look carefully!

Edit: I colored the word with red. Can you see it?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/glenien/alive.jpg

Although I can't see any Severish or Syro :rotfl: Where is the "S"?

merlin455
June 10th, 2005, 7:53 pm
I'm not sure, but I think the sign on the ring looks a bit like a snake...
If the ring refers to the Prince, this could be a clue he is a Slytherin... A descendant of Salazar Slytherin maybe ? ;)

For the two hands... There are too many possibilities... Here are just a few suggestions :
- Harry and Dumbledore,
- Harry and Tom Riddle,
- Harry and the HBP,
- Tom Riddle and the HBP.

Briar Filth
June 10th, 2005, 7:53 pm

I see something like 'Syro....' and that's about it lol

RitaSkeeter17
June 10th, 2005, 8:13 pm
That is Dumbledore's hand. I don't think it can be anyone elses.I think the holding hands just mean Dumbledore and Harry will join forces. I don't think the holding hands means marriage.

That thing looks kind of like The Goblet of Fire. I think they will take a boat to the Black Forest where they will find a pensive or a goblet.

Luned
June 10th, 2005, 8:16 pm

http://www.cosforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24474&stc=1

I see "Sevesh" (Severus?), or something of the kind.

I see saviour(?)

I like the idea of Gringotts, but is it also a possibility that this is the room in the Department of Mysteries-- the department itself is situated underground in London. Or the graveyard theory, JK has mentioned a graveyard quite a few times. Could this be a room where they get rid of the dead? It would explain the green light, considering that's associated with Avarda Kedavra.

glenien
June 10th, 2005, 8:20 pm
[QUOTE=Luned] I see saviour(?) [QUOTE]

I think I'm getting crazy :( Can anybody see the word "alive"? Please? *worries* And where is exactly this "S.." word??

NYCwitch920
June 10th, 2005, 8:22 pm
The Half-Blood Prince might not even be born yet. For instance, if someone got married in the book in June, they could have a baby by March of the school year in the book. Harry might have to help protect the prince.

My son said, why would a baby be important, since he won't even be two years old by the end of the series? Well . . . Harry was a baby at the beginning of the series, so it would be full circle. Harry might help protect the HBP in Book 7, just as he was protected as a baby.

I don't think I'm overanalyzing, since no one else knows whose hands those are on the cover. :rolleyes:

Those are some good ideas. I never thought of the half-blood prince being a baby. We all know that this whole pure-blood dilemma is going to be focused on in the next book. By dilemma I mean how JKR was explaining that Book 6 would emphasize the fact that the pure-bloods are increasingly becoming "mixed". They can't keep marrying one another's relatives to maintain this so called purity. This storyline might become tied in with this ring on the cover art.

Another thing on the ring: do we know if it has anything to do with the book or could it be some type of decoration? I don't have the British editions of any of the other books so could someone tell us if OoTP or the other previous books (British editions) had any images on the spine of the book around the same area that the ring is in?

I guess it could lead to a story about a marriage between two different families (one "pureblood" and one half-blood, etc.). It seems possible especially if the book talks about blood lineage and things like that.

WoodenCoyote
June 10th, 2005, 8:26 pm
That is Dumbledore's hand. I don't think it can be anyone elses.I think the holding hands just mean Dumbledore and Harry will join forces. I don't think the holding hands means marriage.
I think its a transfer of power or magic, a literal combining of forces. Marriage is a bit of a reach... :huh:

NYCwitch920
June 10th, 2005, 8:27 pm
I think its a transfer of power or magic, a literal combining of forces.

If it is in fact Dumbledore and Harry, most people are assuming that it's what you said. A transfer/sharing of power between the two. Very possible.

tuitus
June 10th, 2005, 8:30 pm
I agree the cave maybe under Gringotts.
This is when Harry is travelling down a cart to the vaults with Hagrid.
-they plunged even deeper, passing an underground lake where huge stalactites and stalagmites grew from the ceiling and floor.

HarryPotter
June 10th, 2005, 8:34 pm
I agree the cave maybe under Gringotts.
This is when Harry is travelling down a cart to the vaults with Hagrid.
Thanks for the quote, I was trying to find it when I posted the reference on my former post, but since I don't own the English versions I was going insane searching in Google, with no success, obviously :lol:

In that same page it mentions that Harry sees what looks like a glimpse of a dragon, and the pedestal of that Pensieve on the cover does really resemble the leg of a dragon :eyebrows:

Luned
June 10th, 2005, 8:40 pm
I've put the image into negative, sort of makes it easier to see what we're going on about, especially in the enlarged one. Sorry if the pictures are messing up anyone's browsers.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v653/Fallingflower/negative.jpg

There's definate definition to a word that begins with 'S', and if you follow that route it looks like saviour.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v653/Fallingflower/negative2.jpg

Dominor4
June 10th, 2005, 8:45 pm
To me, it's very obvious that the hands belong to Harry and Dumbledore. Aside from the fact that Harry and Dumbledore are already on the cover (surrounded by fire which looks exactly like the fire surrounding the hands), one hand looks like that of a skinny 16 year old boy, the other looks like the hand of a tall, full-grown man. The sleeves match what they're wearing as well. We're obviously seeing the sleeve of Dumbledore's robe, not the shirt underneath that robe (which is a different color). My guess is Dumbledore casts that fiery spell (maybe it's some sort of a protective shield) and both Dumbledore and Harry clasp hands so they can brace for whatever attack is looming on the front cover.

The ring, I have no idea.

The boat seems to be in some sort of underground stream or cauldron which is where that pensieve/bird-bath/whatever is located. I think it's obvious Harry and Dumbledore took that boat to this object and end up getting attacked by someone or something.

Jadie
June 10th, 2005, 8:48 pm
What about the words "Slytherin" and "Gryffindor" ?

Master_Feign
June 10th, 2005, 9:02 pm
THe ring of fire got me thinking, as Rowling likes to put in things that are semi relevant to our history (like alchemy) I've got a link:

here (http://print.google.ca/print?id=_nLjw2juk7gC&dq=ring+of+fire&oi=print&pg=1&sig=AwwliioxJ7hBN2o_IfF2RjZKlA4&prev=http://www.google.ca/search%3Fhl%3Den%26q%3Dring%2Bof%2Bfire%26meta%3D)

tonkscrazy
June 10th, 2005, 9:02 pm
IMO the hands belongs to Harry and DD . It seems they are sharing their powers , or maybe uniting their force.
i think this reforce the hypothesis of DD dying in the next book .Since the begging i start to think of this possibility ( cus all of the remind of JKR through out the fourth and fifth book that DD is getting old) i thought that if he knew he was going to die he would probably do something cus he knows he is very powerful and he wouldn't just let his powers to die with him , especially when he knows he has the powers to kill Voldy.BUT unnfortunally (because of the prophecy) he CAN'T use his powers to that finality , but Harry can.
So if DD find out he is gonna die cus of old age ,he will try to do anything to give the chance to Harry to kill Voldemort and end this war.

Naria
June 10th, 2005, 9:05 pm
Sorry if it's been posted already... That definately clarifies the Pensieve confusion. It's NOT a Pensieve; it is emitting greenish/gold light that also falls on the boat, which means the two are related. Pensieves don't do that: it is NOT a Pensieve.

Master_Feign
June 10th, 2005, 9:07 pm
Weren't pesieves always silver though?

Like the link I posted above I think the ring of fire has something to do with couarage, hope and wisdom...

sportzfreak_03
June 10th, 2005, 9:13 pm
On the U.S. cover version , I think that Harry and Dumbledore are looking into a pensive and are looking back on the night harry's parents died. Which would explain the green glow, the avada kadarva killing curse. Maybe something signifigant happend that night that we learn in this book. In the U.K. cover version, I think that Harry and Dumbledore are in the chamber of Secrets looking into Salazar Slytherins pensive. The boat is how they got there of course, and the glow puzzles me but I think that it's a potion that glows, and the potion is an acsess to the pensive. Also the picture of Harry and Dumbledore with fire around them is maybe a shield that someone has already mentioned (which is a good theory) is protecting Harry and Dumbledore from Voldemort. They are battleing in the chamber of secrets. As for the Half-Blood prince I think he is evil which would make sense because then it would be Harry and all of his friends plus this new prince and dumbledore against just voldemeort. So it would make things more interesting and even. The ring I have no clue what it means maybe just a sing that represents the title. The cover of the book has really got me exited for the book, not that I already wasen't, it just got me to realize the book is coming out very soon, and Im ready. It will be the best one yet!!!!!!

glenien
June 10th, 2005, 9:14 pm
I think I can now see the big "S". But I am more sure that there is a "a" at its right.

Are we talking about this "S"?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/glenien/s-al.jpg

Edit: Maybe, it is "Half"?

The_5th_Marauder
THe ring of fire got me thinking, as Rowling likes to put in things that are semi relevant to our history (like alchemy) I've got a link:

here (http://print.google.ca/print?id=_nLjw2juk7gC&dq=ring+of+fire&oi=print&pg=1&sig=AwwliioxJ7hBN2o_IfF2RjZKlA4&prev=http://www.google.ca/search%3Fhl%3Den%26q%3Dring%2Bof%2Bfire%26meta%3D)

If this is, in fact, the ring of fire, allow me to play off a theory induced by your link.

The link claims that the ring of fire represents wisdom and the passing of that wisdom. I believe this was mentioned before, but perhaps it does signify that Dumbledore is passing his knowledge and power to Harry before he dies. Perhaps he will pull one of the classic "Sacrifice myself so that my young apprentice can escape."

Also, I believe the hands to be those of James and Lily. Rowling did said we would learn more of Lily in this book. To learn more about Lily it would see that we would need to know more about James as well.

Also, (now this one is far-fetched) the green could have something to do with the relation between Lily's green eyes and Harry's green eyes. It is very rare (and it really only occurs in the most novice of authors) that a constant mention of the comparision or contrast between physical features of two characters will go unexplained. There has to be some relevance in the line "You have your mother's eyes, Harry." After all, it is mentioned multiple times in all of the books.

Harry 4 Ginny
hey, sorry if this has been mentioned already - i haven't read the whole thread - the idea of an underground river, etc. makes me think of the river Styx and Hades, the world of the dead in Greek mythology. JKR studied Classics and so would be familiar with that sort of stuff, so maybe there is some sort of link there.

susanlewis25
June 10th, 2005, 9:19 pm
I think that the boat is in a chamber off of the Chamber of Secrets. That is something she could have totally taken out of the second book when she took out the Half-Blood Prince plot line.

Master_Feign
June 10th, 2005, 9:20 pm
I don't think the artist put any letters in there...maybe just a coinicidence...

anyway, if it is a penseive, then the green light does make sense to be the killing curse (even of harry's own mind). Harry has never used the pesieve for his own memories, neither has he drunk the truth potion... What I don't get is that why is the pesive or whatever is out of the way, via a boat... Could that boat be one of those used to take the first years to Hogwarts?

linapoly
June 10th, 2005, 9:20 pm
Ok lets see

I went trought all the thread and i didnt find anyone with this so I'll shared with u

If u look closely, to the images of the hands holding, I saw a little resemblance to a tatoo in the older hand, more thant the veins and the hints of having this grasp very thigth
Call me crazy but I think that it remembers me to the death eater mark... I just saw it and it hit me, Snape! and Harry holding hands sharing something and finally understanding each other why they r in the same side.

I think that also because the green color around the pensieve, and the boat, maybe yes maybe not, but I believe that snape as JKR said, will reveal his importance in the history.
Snape has to give Harry something to defeat Voldemort

At least thats what I think

About the other hints I'm not quite sure, the boat and lake and the pensieve maybe not be in hogwarts or gringnots I believe that will be another place and there Harry will finally understand many things around his life and the prophecy.

The ring well its an obvious symbol of royalty and refers to the HBP and I dont think will be in the black family but dont discard the fact that maybe will be in slythering
It will be a new char and that will point maybe to a new student, but I disagree with that, remember the description that JKR give us in her page about one character that I believe will be the HBP ;)

who else agree with me?

Mafic
June 10th, 2005, 9:21 pm
Well I think at this point it is safe to say that Dumbledore and Harry will be working hand in hand in this book. I wonder about that ring though. We know she has a great fondness for JRR Tolkien's work, ex. ("longbottom"), I wonder if it is a magic ring, or perhaps a symbol of the Half Blood Prince? And the pedestal I dont think it is a pensieve, at least not like anyone we have ever seen before. And the underground chamber, hum, perhaps a return to the chamber of secrets? Alas just more questions. I hope we get the full cover of our book soon.

Kelfa21
June 10th, 2005, 9:24 pm
I think I can now see the big "S". But I am more sure that there is a "a" at its right.

Are we talking about this "S"?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/glenien/s-al.jpg

Edit: Maybe, it is "Half"?

I'm just jumping into this discusion now....but does anyone think this may be the name Sirius....the last letter looks like a cursive "s"...like someone carved it or possibly burned it into the wall...maybe its a kind of magic related to the firey Xs Hermione used in the dept of mysteries and the marking is wearing off...

MakkaMalooga
June 10th, 2005, 9:25 pm
What about the words "Slytherin" and "Gryffindor" ?Actually, I think it's "Salazar". That would definately make sense with the whole Forbidden Forest, green light theme. And judging from that, I'd say the pensieve belongs to either Slytherin or Gryffindor (the talons at the base hint at a phoenix). Also, I'm not sure what Slytherin's blood status was, but I wouldn't completely rule out him being half-blooded. Voldemort, his heir, was a half-blood--making Slytherin a prime candidate for HBP.

Now the joined hands on the spine are definately Dumbledore and Harry's and they're definately related to the cover. Now I don't know if we determined whether Dumbledore was casting or receiving the spell and that is what decides what the hands mean. If he casted it, the joined hands represent either a protection spell or some kind of joint spell. If they're receiving it, then it means either one or both of them has been hit by the spell and, worst case scenario, Dumbledore took the brunt of it and Harry possibly grabbed his hand--before he died. :sad:

Master_Feign
June 10th, 2005, 9:26 pm
Hmmm interesting...though I thought the dark mark was more on the upper forearm, ie past the hand in the picture. Though in this case if it was Dumbledore, he is wearing a different cloak, for the cloak with just the hands show that they are both tighter cloaks, while Dumbledore's cloak is loose...

NYCwitch920
June 10th, 2005, 9:35 pm
I'm just jumping into this discusion now....but does anyone think this may be the name Sirius....the last letter looks like a cursive "s"...like someone carved it or possibly burned it into the wall...maybe its a kind of magic related to the firey Xs Hermione used in the dept of mysteries and the marking is wearing off...

I also thought I saw a clear S at the end. I'm not absolutely convinced it spells anything out. I think the artist just put markings on the wall to make the surrouding area look ancient. Perhaps we're overanalyzing... :scared: I think the weird thing about it is that the markings that look like words appear right over the boat. That makes it even more suspicious and worthy of scrutiny.

Mafic
June 10th, 2005, 9:39 pm
Dark mark? where are people seeing the dark mark? Those are VEINS.

Mikokunsaki
June 10th, 2005, 9:40 pm
The base is definetely a link to the past, I feel. I feel that Dumbledore will play a part in revealing whatever the secret is, and that it will possibly link back to a previous Headmaster or mistress, or alternatively one of the Hogwarts Four. Why?

Well, if you look at the picture there's a claw base, as I've said before. And if you turn to the first page of Chapter Twelve of Chamber of Secrets, Dumbledore's office is described:

"There was also an enormous, claw-footed desk, and, sitting on a shelf behind it, a shabby, tattered wizard's hat..."

Master_Feign
June 10th, 2005, 9:41 pm
yeah I thought they were veins as well as I had thought the mark was mor on the upper arm...

EDIT: Could this be also anything to do with the revolving statue as a staircase, Harry's new discovery of that was just being in Dumbledore's office for the first time... not to significant, but that is interesting if the claw footed desk is the same one...

Mikokunsaki
June 10th, 2005, 9:59 pm
yeah I thought they were veins as well as I had thought the mark was mor on the upper arm...

EDIT: Could this be also anything to do with the revolving statue as a staircase, Harry's new discovery of that was just being in Dumbledore's office for the first time... not to significant, but that is interesting if the claw footed desk is the same one...

I'm not suggesting that they're the same. In Dumbledore's office it's clearly stated that it is a desk, whilst the mysterious object on the back cover is like some sort of pedestral. However, both of them being claw-footed seems to suggest that they're both reminiscent of an older age, the desk is perhaps a school antique from around the time when the pedestral was in use?

On a side note, I wonder who used Dumbledore's office way back at the beginning of the school. There were four founders, so were they all co-heads? Did they share the office? Did they have their own? Who had that one? Godric Gryffindor? Is that why the desk is claw-footed? Look at the previous chapter: "...a gleaming oak door ahead, with a brass knocker in the shape of a griffon."

Also, an interesting question- the spiral staircase rises to the office. But does it also go DOWN?

Robb
June 10th, 2005, 10:01 pm
There is definitely nothing on the arm on the right except veins and a sleeve.

daz
June 10th, 2005, 10:04 pm
Some good ideas but i am just so excited now. Thats why they released it to get people excited that only 36 days to go now. I still dont think its Dumbledore and Harry holding hands for some reason.

Master_Feign
June 10th, 2005, 10:04 pm
Yeah, theres never been mention what the headmaster's office looks like when another is incharge... Ie what would an origianl slytherin (like Sirius' grand fatehr, can't remember name...) look like? Would it be full of dark things and a snake desk?

Ania21
June 10th, 2005, 10:05 pm
Hi there.

Just wanted to say that if you download the Kid's Edition Screensaver you'll get big and detailed picture of the ring from the spine - and there's a crest clearly visible.

As for the text on the cave wall - I don't think it exists. I can see only 'S', but then I can see many other S's and other letters there.

And now my own over-analised theory: what if the illustrator pulled Dan Brown and show us the HBP in this cover? I mean that HBP could ba a spell, which can be conjured only by two wizards, they have to cut their hands and mix their blood - so that Prince, corporeal spell like Patronuses - has blood, half from one wizard, half from the other. We can see Harry and Dumble starting to conjure it with their cut hands joined together and, on the front cover, spell in its 'adult' version, surrounding and protecting Harry and DD.

darksidemoose
June 10th, 2005, 10:07 pm
Where is this Drk Mark/vein? Also, I'm gonna have to say it says Sirius. But, then... I'm a wishful thinker

LadyofthePensieve
June 10th, 2005, 10:09 pm
It looks nearly like sang (ue)? which means in the romanic language blood.

Sang Raal is ancient French and means "blood royal" sang royal.

Later in history Sang Raal became San Graal = Holy Grail.

Any ideas?

The_5th_Marauder
June 10th, 2005, 10:12 pm
If you look at the robes belonging to the hands, you can see both are black. I honestly can never remember a time in the books where Dumbledore wore black robes. He seems to always wear colors like purple and red. However, who is it that wears black cloaks all the time? Oh, that's right, the entire student body of Hogwarts.

Furthermore, the veins do not signify age. I can grasp something tightly and achieve the same look from my veins. Let it also be noted that I am not old, nor am I one hundred and fifty-something.

darksidemoose
June 10th, 2005, 10:13 pm
What if its just a bloody stain with no meaning?

tru_angel
June 10th, 2005, 10:14 pm
Hmmm...being the HBP is a good guess. Many people are thinking that the HBP is bad or evil, but what if it is good and helping Harry out with whatever the spell is. The ring does have a resemblence to Harry's scar, but it does seem as well defined as on harry's head. I am still trying to figure out why the boat is glowing.

Maybe it's a memory? Not actually there? And maybe the hands are Herm/Ron (and the ring? ;) ). Just throwing it out there. I guess we're supposed to speculate on the cover, it's just...I don't see anything fantastic. And why are the American covers so much more artistic? I guess I'm just biased towards that 'cuz I'm in the US.

Robb
June 10th, 2005, 10:15 pm
I think they should put the words up there and give a spoiler warning. I want to know what it says.

cristina
June 10th, 2005, 10:17 pm
you know, i was wondering.... perphaps the two hands mean that the wizarding world will be unit, fighting against voldemort, or someone will really help Harry in this new year, then the "tranfer of powers".

starrie
June 10th, 2005, 10:17 pm
I just noticed something very interesting about the boat. Looking at the picture of the boat, you can see that there is no one in it. But in the reflection of the boat in the water, there appear to be shapes sitting/resting in the boat. There also seems to be a lantern or something on the left side. Look at it closely, or blow it up a little, and you can see it.
Maybe they are invisible? I can't think of a reason off the top of my head why they would be visible in a reflection only.

Also, doesn't it seem that something behind the fence is casting the green glow, rather than the boat itself?

I hope no one posted on this already, if they did, sorry! I'd love to hear your thoughts, and what you think the shapes are.

Oddsbodokins
June 10th, 2005, 10:18 pm
Oh man, I just made a summary of everyones ideas on the new cover, then the lights went out. Then I typed out another one, which had even more stuff on it because there were so many more posts, then the lights went out again. So I have given up for now.
I don't know if anyone has said this yet but, a few people say that it looks like Harry and Dumbledore were fighting to get throught the fire. I think that it looks like Harry and Dumbledore are causing the fire, as the fire seems to be spouting out of their wands.
Does anyone have an idea what the Pensieve/birdbath thing could be if it isn't a Pensieve?

RitaSkeeter17
June 10th, 2005, 10:26 pm
I feel like story telling so, here is my HBP theory.

HBP(US) They are looking into a pensive. They are seeing how Hogwarts was form. We learn more about the fonders. It could also be cauldron and they are brewing up a potion. The potion is a acient and very hard potion that will turn someone who's been transfigured back to their normal state. The half-blood prince was transfigured into Trevor the Toad. Now who Trevor is the question? Is he Godric os Salazar.

HBPD(US) Harry Potter will travel very deep into the Forbidden Forest. In the Forbidden Forest is a cave. The cave contains alot of secrets to the series. The cave contains a pensive of either Salazar, Godric or Tom Riddle.

HBP(UK)
Fudge blames Dumbledore for his downfall so he sends his army of heliopaths. That is why Harry and Dumbledore are shocked, they didn't think Fudge would do something like that.

The back flip(uk) Kelfa21 I think that says Salazar. I already said my theory on this.

Other thoughts
Dumbledore and Harry will be closer then ever.
Fudge will go insane

Other thoughts

I think they should put the words up there and give a spoiler warning. I want to know what it says.

I agree with you, it's our fault if we are spoiled by it. I feel they are being to secertive with this book.

tonkscrazy
June 10th, 2005, 10:29 pm
i dont know if you guys notice this ,but in the reflexion of the boat in the water you can actually see something in the boat!!.This might be important*full of excitement*

The_5th_Marauder
June 10th, 2005, 10:31 pm
It could possibly be a potion (the pensieve, I mean).

My argument for this comes soley from the fact that the U.K. adult cover is a potions book.

Perhaps it is some really advanced potion. It could be another polyjuice potion that Harry and Dumbledore are making to become death eaters. This would fit well with the idea that this book relates to the second book.

However, that is highly unlikely. The polyjuice potion only gives the user an hour. Furthermore, it is highly unlikely that Harry will face Voldemort in this book. I think it probable that Dumbledore might, however, because I do believe is going to die. It won't be a real struggle between Voldemort and Harry if as powerful a wizard as Dumbledore is in the middle of it. It seems to me that Harry and Dumbledore together are stronger than Voldemort.

Remember: When a good guy goes against the final bad guy, he needs to be at a disadvantage. Otherwise, it isn't a good read.

Saz_k
June 10th, 2005, 10:33 pm
if they were going to use pollyjuse (so sorry bout spelling) potion mabe dumbledoor can make one that will last longer

The_5th_Marauder
June 10th, 2005, 10:33 pm
I thought it was made clear that polyjuice only lasted an hour. No more and no less.

Fudydudey
June 10th, 2005, 10:37 pm
Does anyone else think that something is written on the wall of the cave by the boat? I tlooks like it begins with an 'S' and there's another word underneath it. The word underneath it look like a WO... wormtail? Am I going mad?

darksidemoose
okay, hate to be a part pooper, but remember the Revenge of the Sith teaser poster? And people were seeing things beside Vader in the cape? Well, I started to believe it, but they were finding things like dolphins. And do you really think Mr. Lucas wanted to hide ocean dwelling mammals in his ads? I think ur overanalysing. No offense.

Robb
The_5th_Marauder , I disagree that Harry and Dumbledore would be stronger than Voldemort, in the Battle of the Dept of Mysteries Dumbledore has to hold Harry back with that troll so that he doesn't end up getting himself hurt. If Harry wasn't held back the only thing that I could imagine happening would be a reoccurence of Tybalt, Mercutio and Romeo where Harry runs in to try to help and inadvertently gets Dumbledore killed.

Miles11
June 10th, 2005, 10:38 pm
Ok, As to the ring. I specifically remember something on the bloomsbury website talking about how there would be a new minister of magic in the next book. Perhaps the significance of the royalty/HBP is that there used to be a wizard monarchy and it will be re-instated instead of a minister for magic.

I think the pensieve/ boat have been pretty thoroughly discussed. I thinks it's in the underground harbour from PS/PP.

The hands clasping/ front cover fire stuff is interesting. I like the idea of a transfer of power from Dumbledore to Harry. Here's a theory:

Has anyone ever read the Fionavar Tapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay. Well in it theres a dagger with a symbol on the hilt and if someone kills themslef with the dagger and they die with love in their heart, the person with the symbol from the hilt marked on them is bestowed with all their memories and emotions. i'm thinking because Harry is so mismatched against Voldemort, Dumbledore sacrifices himself and bestowes his knowledge of spells and magic to Harry so he can Kill Voldemort. Maybe.... Although I dunno because I think most people believe in a Dumbledore death in book 7.

And I think I can see what looks like an S in the wall too. But it could also be the figure of a snake, which would back up the chamber of secrets theory.

Luned
June 10th, 2005, 10:41 pm
If you look at the robes belonging to the hands, you can see both are black. I honestly can never remember a time in the books where Dumbledore wore black robes. He seems to always wear colors like purple and red. However, who is it that wears black cloaks all the time? Oh, that's right, the entire student body of Hogwarts.

Furthermore, the veins do not signify age. I can grasp something tightly and achieve the same look from my veins. Let it also be noted that I am not old, nor am I one hundred and fifty-something.

That is true. At first I thought it was Dumbledore's arm with the veins, however, thinking about it a lot of boys Harry's age have arms like that-- where if they're tense you can see veins quite clearly.

Plus, the younger looking arm doesn't have that much arm hair on it and males tend to be harier then females.

So perhaps Harry and a girl?

The_5th_Marauder
June 10th, 2005, 10:46 pm
Fudydudey, I believe this was mentioned several times.

Some theories as to what it says (collected from those who mentioned them in this thread):

Sirius
Severus

... woah, hold that thought.

As I was typing that this came to me. Now this is definitely far-fetched, but bear with me:

Someone mentioned that it said "Sirius." I looked at the cover for a long, long time. This does seem possible. However, someone else mentioned that a word underneath that is "alive." I also examined this for a long time. That word seems to be easier to make out as I can see it pretty clearly. I am hoping this says, "Sirius is alive." As an artist I know it is common for artists to leave messages in their work. I also know that something such as Sirius actually being alive would be something that would stick with the artist during the drawing of the cover.

Sorry for the rambling. I am very hopeful.

The_5th_Marauder , I disagree that Harry and Dumbledore would be stronger than Voldemort, in the Battle of the Dept of Mysteries Dumbledore has to hold Harry back with that troll so that he doesn't end up getting himself hurt. If Harry wasn't held back the only thing that I could imagine happening would be a reoccurence of Tybalt, Mercutio and Romeo where Harry runs in to try to help and inadvertently gets Dumbledore killed.

Good call. But I believe that at that point in time Dumbledore new Harry wasn't ready to face Voldemort. However, with the proper preparation (that hopefully Dumbledore will provide in HBP) he will be ready. Also, Harry was kind of caught off guard by the appearance of Voldemort.

So, if both Harry and Dumbledore came at Voldemort with a plan and proper preparations, I do believe they would be strong than he, thus why they can't do that.

That is true. At first I thought it was Dumbledore's arm with the veins, however, thinking about it a lot of boys Harry's age have arms like that-- where if they're tense you can see veins quite clearly.

Plus, the younger looking arm doesn't have that much arm hair on it and males tend to be harier then females.

So perhaps Harry and a girl?

I was trying to point to it being James and Lily (when they were students), but who knows?

Saz_k
June 10th, 2005, 10:47 pm
jk said sirius is dead

tonkscrazy
June 10th, 2005, 10:47 pm
hey , have you guys notice there is something in the boat but in the refletion in the water?.... cus if you look closely and if you have a Microsoft Photo Editor you will see it. looks like it is a head

darksidemoose
June 10th, 2005, 10:48 pm
Well, maybe the hands are doing some sort of Priori Incantatem type thing. If Voldemort/Harry and someone (HBP?) hold hands, <BOOM>, lightning!

Miles11
June 10th, 2005, 10:49 pm
I'd say you're reading too much into the art with the color of the robes. Although all of us are probably guilty of that. I don't think that has much to do with it. On the cover Dumbledore's wearing what appears to bea black cloak over blue robes. So he could have black sleeves.

darksidemoose
June 10th, 2005, 10:51 pm
And that bowl... what if Dumbledore and Harry use a Penseive (maybe hidden somewhere?) which belonged to/has a memory of the HBP! Oh, I think I just made a theory! Or maybe... it's Voldemort's! Or completely unrelated! I like the 1st two better... :p

Luned
June 10th, 2005, 10:52 pm
I was trying to point to it being James and Lily (when they were students), but who knows?

That also is a very plausible possibility-- didn't JK say that the first chapter was a flashback? Or was that just fan speculation?

There is definately something written there, or carved, or something.

I can make out an 'S' followed by an 'A', but that's just me.

cristina
June 10th, 2005, 10:53 pm
Ok lets see

I went trought all the thread and i didnt find anyone with this so I'll shared with u

If u look closely, to the images of the hands holding, I saw a little resemblance to a tatoo in the older hand, more thant the veins and the hints of having this grasp very thigth
Call me crazy but I think that it remembers me to the death eater mark... I just saw it and it hit me, Snape! and Harry holding hands sharing something and finally understanding each other why they r in the same side.

I think that also because the green color around the pensieve, and the boat, maybe yes maybe not, but I believe that snape as JKR said, will reveal his importance in the history.
Snape has to give Harry something to defeat Voldemort

At least thats what I think

About the other hints I'm not quite sure, the boat and lake and the pensieve maybe not be in hogwarts or gringnots I believe that will be another place and there Harry will finally understand many things around his life and the prophecy.

The ring well its an obvious symbol of royalty and refers to the HBP and I dont think will be in the black family but dont discard the fact that maybe will be in slythering
It will be a new char and that will point maybe to a new student, but I disagree with that, remember the description that JKR give us in her page about one character that I believe will be the HBP ;)

who else agree with me?

I agree with you about snape. but i also think, in the theory of snape, that this ring may belong to him, as it lookīs that thereīs a snake into it, and snape belongīs to slytherein. Also, we donīt know much about sanpeīs backgroung, so itīs an idea that perphapīs his family belong to royalty and that heīs descendent from them.

Fudydudey
June 10th, 2005, 10:55 pm
Sorry; I didn't know that the possible writing on the wall had already been discussed. Looking at it again, does anyone else think that it could be the names of the Marauders? I definitely think that Wormtail is written at the bottom, and I think that what looks like an 'S' is misleading. I tcould well be a P and then another P directly benearth it. Have a look at tell me what you think

darksidemoose
June 10th, 2005, 10:56 pm
Do we even know if that IS a Penseive? If not, I could attack another theory, but I like the current one! :D

cristina
June 10th, 2005, 11:02 pm
I just noticed something very interesting about the boat. Looking at the picture of the boat, you can see that there is no one in it. But in the reflection of the boat in the water, there appear to be shapes sitting/resting in the boat. There also seems to be a lantern or something on the left side. Look at it closely, or blow it up a little, and you can see it.
Maybe they are invisible? I can't think of a reason off the top of my head why they would be visible in a reflection only.

Also, doesn't it seem that something behind the fence is casting the green glow, rather than the boat itself?

I hope no one posted on this already, if they did, sorry! I'd love to hear your thoughts, and what you think the shapes are.

Youīre wright, looking at it now, seems that thereīs some shapes on the water.
I think that they may mean the personīs, whoīs voices that harry heard behind the veil, however iīm not complete shore, itīs jest a thought taht ocurred me now.

glenien
June 10th, 2005, 11:02 pm
I just noticed something very interesting about the boat. Looking at the picture of the boat, you can see that there is no one in it. But in the reflection of the boat in the water, there appear to be shapes sitting/resting in the boat.

Does anyone else think that something is written on the wall of the cave by the boat? I tlooks like it begins with an 'S' and there's another word underneath it. The word underneath it look like a WO... wormtail? Am I going mad?

LOL I agree with both of you. And thank God somebody saw that "alive" too! *hugs The_5th_Marauder *

I'm recoloring the words and the interesting thing in the reflection.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/glenien/waow.jpg

All I can say is: Waow. There is something written on the wall, I *am* sure.

1) Blue: Looks like a man. I saw a rond thing too but I didn't color it.
2) Purple: That really should be "Wormtail"
3) First pinkish red: S-ali..S?
4) Yellowish red: "Wotcaff"?

Edit: I think I can read something: "Wormtail IS alive" "Witchcraft costy? casty? gosty?" I can show you if you want. I'm going nuts LOL.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/glenien/woalive.jpg

I couldn't figure out the purple and the blue writings but I am sure that something is written in there too.

Krados
June 10th, 2005, 11:17 pm
Sorry if anyone else has brought this up before....it is a long thread after all. What if this secret underground cave/area was once used by Voldemort, perhaps when he went to Hogwarts? He did find the Chamber after all, who's to say he didn't have other hiding places. Perhaps this is why we see invisible reflections in the water (D.D. and Harry being invisible), and why both these characters appear to be worried/determined/trepidacious on the U.S. Cover. This would also help to explain all the green smoke. Perhaps this object is a pensive that holds some of Tom Riddle's past memories. We will learn about his past per J.K., and its not like the Dark Lord will sit Harry down and trod through memory land, especially if there's something in his past that Harry could use to defeat him. Then, after Voldemort left Hogwarts Dumbledore could have found this object, as he does seem to know everything, but kept it hidden until Harry was ready to go through some seriously dark memories, future predictions, whatever it is. This also explains why their wands are out, and, if there is graffiti as some suggest, perhaps the writing was done by Riddle and his friends at the time. Then....and this is just me guessing now....maybe Voldemort wants this item back after he remembers it and he goes for it which is why/how Harry and Dumbledore are surronded by fire on the U.K. cover.

cristina
June 10th, 2005, 11:20 pm
Sorry; I didn't know that the possible writing on the wall had already been discussed. Looking at it again, does anyone else think that it could be the names of the Marauders? I definitely think that Wormtail is written at the bottom, and I think that what looks like an 'S' is misleading. I tcould well be a P and then another P directly benearth it. Have a look at tell me what you think

youīre wright, it could be theyīre names.

HermioneDancr
June 10th, 2005, 11:26 pm
Forgive me if I'm repeating anyone, I haven't been to this thread until today, when I saw the back of the British cover and the hands... that got me so excited that I knew I had to join this thread.

I've read the above page and I like the idea that the one arm belongs to Snape. My one question: one arm (left I believe) obviously belongs to someone quite young (Harry, as we all seem to be assuming). The other belongs to someone much older. Is Snape old enough that his arm would be gnarled and wrinkled like that?

cristina
June 10th, 2005, 11:27 pm
sudendly the water under the boat remind me the mirror that sirius gave to harry. Could the boat and that kind of "pensieve" be a way to harry comunicate with sirius? After all i think i heard something that jkr said about sirius appear in the bookīs again. besides the shapes on the water could be him, donīt you think so? tell me youīre thoughts.

The_5th_Marauder
June 10th, 2005, 11:27 pm
Sorry if anyone else has brought this up before....it is a long thread after all. What if this secret underground cave/area was once used by Voldemort, perhaps when he went to Hogwarts? He did find the Chamber after all, who's to say he didn't have other hiding places. Perhaps this is why we see invisible reflections in the water (D.D. and Harry being invisible), and why both these characters appear to be worried/determined/trepidacious on the U.S. Cover. This would also help to explain all the green smoke. Perhaps this object is a pensive that hold's some of Tom Riddle's past memories. We will learn about his past per J.K., and its not like the Dark Lord will sit Harry down a trod through memory land, especially if there's something in his past that Harry could use to defeat him. Then, after Voldemort left Hogwarts Dumbledore coul'd have found this object, as he does seem to know everything, but kept it hidden until Harry was ready to go through some weriously dark memories, future predictions, whatever it is. This also explains why their wands are out, and, if there is graffiti as some suggest, perhaps the writing was done by Riddle and his friends at the time. Then....and this is just me guessing now....maybe Voldemort wants this item back after he remembers it and he goes for it which is why/how Harry and Dumbledore are surronded by fire on the U.K. cover.

I do like the idea of it being Tom's pensieve. There is another way in which this book would be related to CoS. Diary in CoS and pensieve in HBP.

Very interesting. Well, I'm off to my corner to go over-analyze the cover once more.

cristina
June 10th, 2005, 11:29 pm
Forgive me if I'm repeating anyone, I haven't been to this thread until today, when I saw the back of the British cover and the hands... that got me so excited that I knew I had to join this thread.

I've read the above page and I like the idea that the one arm belongs to Snape. My one question: one arm (left I believe) obviously belongs to someone quite young (Harry, as we all seem to be assuming). The other belongs to someone much older. Is Snape old enough that his arm would be gnarled and wrinkled like that?

I think so. besides the hand seems to belong to someone who has at leas 30 yearīs old

MatthewMazer
June 10th, 2005, 11:32 pm
OMG! I think I see it, too! I had to look at it very closely, but I see it now! I outlined the words I see...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/lordwhitebeard/20b38426.jpg

RitaSkeeter17
June 10th, 2005, 11:34 pm
OMG! I think I see it, too! I had to look at it very closely, but I see it now! I outlined the words I see...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/lordwhitebeard/20b38426.jpg

Maybe the writing is telling you all the people who will die. Sirius had already died, and next is Wormtail and Dumbledore.

sirpsycho85
June 10th, 2005, 11:35 pm
the S word there could be Salizar's perhaps, and i dont think the first one is clear enough to be wormtail

also, in the boat's reflection there looks to be something like a reflection of a head, but it could be just a wave.

MatthewMazer
June 10th, 2005, 11:36 pm
lol...the fact that the artist decided to share such valuable information with everyone is so convenient!

Billywiggy
hey , have you guys notice there is something in the boat but in the refletion in the water?.... cus if you look closely and if you have a Microsoft Photo Editor you will see it. looks like it is a headYes! It looks like a face to me - actually, it looks like Dumbledore's face a little . . .

Actually - I think the 'head' appears above the 'pensieve' . . . can anyone else see it?

cristina
Iīm sorry, but i can only see one figure and not two

Vequihellin
June 10th, 2005, 11:39 pm
The ring. Is it just me, or does it appear to bear a lightening-bolt/Ehwaz rune symbol?

My own interpretation of the joined hands is that the young hand is clearly Harry, given that a) he is the main character in the story and b) he is wearing that baggy black jumper on the front cover. The older hand I think could be representative of another character, the half blood prince, snape, or even James (it might be drawn in a metaphorical context), or my own personal favourite, given the similarities between the hand of Dumbledore on the front cover pic and the spiral of firey magic (also seen to have emitted from DD's wand on the front cover) - Dumbledore. I think that we see Harry and DD together on the front cover in a spiral of fire of DD's apparent making, then there are two hands joined with the SAME fire, one young, one old, it is not unreasonable to assume that the hands belong to Harry and DD.

As for the boat, WOW, out of all of it this is what gets me the most. Everyone else is quite right - there appears to be people sitting in the boat, however the importance of this cannot be determined since we have no idea of the purpose of the boat. However I don't think it is coincidental that the green glow of the boat is blatently connected to the green glow of the statue.

I personally am beginning to reconsider my view of it as a pensieve, however it cannot be denied that the image of the boat is clearly originating from the statue. The reason I don't think it is a pensieve particularly is that we KNOW that the light from a pensieve is silver, as are the thoughts within it.

All I can say is OH MY GOD!!! The release of this cover art has renewed my enthusiastic fervour 100fold and it is another torturous 34 days to the release (after about 20 minutes).

glenien
Very funny, MatthewMazer, I am spending hours in here, just to be threaten as an idiot.

FatalReflex
Here's some information about the U.S. cover from http://www.mugglenet.com:

1. The basin on the cover looks like a pensieve, a very very old one.

2. But a sharp reader emailed with the scholastic press cutting saying it was a "basin." Could it be some sort of basin to brew ancient potions in?

3. Dumbledore looks knowledgeable, whilst Harry looks inquisitive. This probably means Dumbledore is showing Harry something.

4. The colour of the mist is green, a colour associated with magic and also to the Slytherin colors of green. It is also associated with the killing curse Avada Kedavra.

5. Dumbledore appears on this cover and also on the UK children's edition. Could this mean Harry and Dumbledore develop a closer relationship and have more contact in the sixth book?

6. Is there a possible error in this picture? In PS/SS, Harry said his wand arm was his right hand. He is holding his wand in his left hand. (Thanks Jess!) However, Harry was also holding his wand in his left hand in OOTP

http://www.mugglenet.com/viewer/?image_location=harrypotter6_HR.jpg

Click above for a picture of the cover.

cristina
June 10th, 2005, 11:51 pm
About the two hands, iīm almost shore that the younger one is from Harry, but i disagree with those who said that the older hand was from Dumbledore, because i canīt remember, at any book that, jkr said that dumbledore had a scar on his left hand.

MPPMarauderGirl
June 10th, 2005, 11:55 pm
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/glenien/woalive.jpg

I couldn't figure out the purple and the blue writings but I am sure that something is written in there too.

The end, the blue part, looks like "pity" to me. So Wormtail is alive from pity :grumble: (if you're sure it's Wormtail) but it certainly looks like pity to me. :shrug:

scarletfever7
June 10th, 2005, 11:56 pm
Sorry, I dont see it, but that doesn't mean it isnt there. :upset:

starrie
June 11th, 2005, 12:11 am
I read somewhere that the human mind can make patterns out of just about anything and think it sees something that isn't there. Random lines drawn will obviously look like words if you look long and hard enough. The closest I've seen is "pity", good call MPPMarauderGirl!

Celeste_SM
June 11th, 2005, 12:19 am
Does anyone have a link to both UK and US edition covers, plus the Childrens? All these diff. versions, I'm getting confuzzled!

RitaSkeeter17
June 11th, 2005, 12:24 am
From looking at it real good. The writing looks like Wormtail and Salazar. Could the writing mean nothing at all? Could it be just the shape of the cave?

I read somewhere that the human mind can make patterns out of just about anything and think it sees something that isn't there. Random lines drawn will obviously look like words if you look long and hard enough. The closest I've seen is "pity", good call MPPMarauderGirl!

I agree, I think it could be just the lines of the cave.

Celeste_SM
June 11th, 2005, 12:26 am
I just thought of something. Why green? Why, of all colours, is the cover of the book green?

Possibilities:

Slytherin-related
Mother's eyes
Harry's eyes
Green = evil

? Anythoughts?

Oddsbodokins
June 11th, 2005, 12:30 am
Ok my fourth try for summarizing all of the ideas on the book jacket so far. I don't even know why I am doing this. I don't know if it's helping anything. I might forget some so feel free to add on.

http://www.mugglenet.com/viewer/?image_location=/june10/fullukhbpcover.jpg

Pensieve/Birdbath/Basin

Belonged to Godric Gryffindor
Dumbledore leads Harry to it
Slytherin heirloom
Gryffin or dragon leg at the bottom
Green light (instead of silver) because it holds the memory of someone who's passed on
Linked to Claw Footed desk in Dumbledore's office (sorting hat sits on it)
Potion (polyjuice?)
Voldemort's
Hands/Fire

Harry and Dumbledore
Symbolizes bond
Arm Wrestle or power struggle
Sealing a wizard deal or pact (secret keeping perhaps?)
Power transfer
Linking of minds
Lupin, McLaggen, Half Blood Prince or Tom Riddle??
Marriage knot
Harry grabbing Dumbledore before he dies
Two person spell linking blood
James and Lily
Priori Incantatem type of thing
Dumbledore? and Harry in the Fire

Helliopath (spelling?) that Luna talked about
Coming from Harry and Dumbledore's wands
The two are fighting through it
Fire from dragons
Boat/Area the boat is in

Underground harbour at Hogwarts
At Gringotts
In the Chamber of Secrets
In a sewer
London Underground
Vision from Pensieve
Reflection indicates person or scroll
Golden light on the boat is coming from the Pensieve
Time travel boat
Thought/Memory boat
Access via the Forbidden Forest
In some sort of alternate world
In the Department of Mysteries
Graveyard
Styx/Hades
Beyond Veil
Ring

Lightning bolt
Greek letter "sigma" and rectangle
Another type of rune
Red in background (Gryffindor?)
Serpent
Black family ring (magic?)
Wedding ring
Ring is cracked
Talisman to keep Voldemort out of Harry's mind
Holds Sirius' memories
Links Harry to someone else (order member??)
Used to channel Harry's "scar power"
Represents union of blood lineage
Minister of Magic's ring
Edit:I added a few things that I forgot to the list.

Fuchsia
June 11th, 2005, 12:33 am
Awesome list, Oddsbodokins! :tu:

Dumbledore? and Harry in the Fire

* Helliopath (spelling?) that Luna talked about
* Coming from Harry and Dumbledore's wands
* The two are fighting through it
* Fire from dragons

I had thought that it was something they had to fight through, but the helliopath idea is intriguing.

Oddsbodokins
June 11th, 2005, 12:37 am
Awesome list, Oddsbodokins! :tu:

I had thought that it was something they had to fight through, but the helliopath idea is intriguing.
Well they aren't all my ideas, they're a summary of everyone else's ideas in the thread. I just hope that I'm not missing any.

Fuchsia
June 11th, 2005, 12:39 am
All the same it's cool to have them all in one place so we can get a good sense of what we have all come up with (or what everyone else has come up with - my own ideas are admittedly pitiful).

The wedding ring idea is good too. It matches up with other theories that have been floating about.

Celeste_SM
June 11th, 2005, 12:45 am
I looked at the UK cover and here's what I think NOW...

Hands:
Possibly Harry/Snape having to get along or help each other
Fire-Ring could be magic transfer or something like Occlumency or w/e
Harry/Lupin?
Harry/Prince
Harry/Sirius (somehow...?)
Harry/Older Adult Male, most possible

Boat:
On the Lake by a large rock?
Chamber of Secrets, I think

Ring:
The stone could be cracked
Could be from Moldy-Voldy which is why Harry has the lightning scar b/c Voldy's *symbol* was the bolt, not just the skull/snake

Back to the boat:
I just saw this. Look at the water illuminated under the boat. Can you see that light/orb-y thing? What is it? Perhaps a light from a wand or from a crack in a cavern?

Oh and about the ring, what I said? they said that a curse leaves a scar. Perhaps, just perhaps, the scar is a symbol of the one who left the scar. So in that case, it could be Voldy's.

Also, it might be part of the Black family. Harry gets it, gets miffed and throws it (like the mirror).

(Aren't yellow and black hufflepuff colors? The ring could be Hufflepuff, but the gold instead of yellow. ... Just a thought.)

Fuchsia
June 11th, 2005, 12:47 am
Boat:
On the Lake by a large rock?
Chamber of Secrets, I think

The chamber would be rather nasty with all the things the basilik ate. Yuck.

It felt kind of like a cave to me. That may have been the lighting though.

Binary
June 11th, 2005, 12:48 am
oddsbodokins, thats a pretty good list of ideas there.
I myself think that the boat area is in the chamber of secrets...It looks similar to what I saw in the movie, and I think that they based their view of the chamber on factual data, so...you know...
Then, the fire thingie, i think its something that happened between Voldemort and Harry in GoF, as in their wands connected...It looks very similar....
The pensive I think is Dumbledore's but has been moved out of his office by someone who tried to use it or abuse it

silver ink pot
June 11th, 2005, 12:49 am
Dark mark? where are people seeing the dark mark? Those are VEINS.

That's exactly right, Mafic! We can look closely and see just an arm with veins.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v624/sip44/HBPBritishBackCoverKnotenlargement.jpg

And for anyone here who thinks that is Snape, a little reminder. It could indeed be Snape, or it could be anyone. But the problem with saying you see a dark mark is that the DEs have the marks on their left arms, and that is clearly someone's right arm, due to the way the hand is turned.

But I agree with Mafic that there is no scar!

And that nearest arm sure looks feminine to me. Harry is nearly a fully grown man at almost 16 years old in Book 6. I don't think his arm would look that smooth. I think that is a woman's arm.

I'm sticking with the idea that it is a wedding picture. :agree: :love: Remember the other day there was an interview at Book Expo America and some said this: (CAUTION Spoilers! Scan to read!)
This one, he said, “has more romance in general.” And then he and marketing VP Jennifer Pasanen, who was sitting in, started humming “Love is in the air.” Well, it’s a clue. <--

And this whole idea of "Dumbledore passing power to Harry" seems to be taking on a life of its own. While I hope Harry does become as powerful someday as Dumbledore, I don't think that is what the picture shows.

HermioneLuvsRon
June 11th, 2005, 12:54 am
At first I thought hte other hand was Dumbledore, but then I came to the thread, which I haven't been to in a while, and saw that there was..debate..on who the hand belonged to. I think that hte hand might belong to Snape. The person has on black robes and I don't really think that his hand is wrinkled, but that his veins are just popping out. Maybe it is Snape and him and Harry are agreeing on something or sharing their trust..maybe.. But since Snape still might have a bit of a problem with Harry, he is just grasping his hand very hard.. :shrug:

..that could also support my thinking that Snape is the HBP..but against my will just to let you know ;)

Celeste_SM
June 11th, 2005, 12:54 am
Feminine? Maybe. Or a young boys arm? Like... Dennis Creevey? (JUST a thought.)

Maybe a marriage, but then, why dress in black? Kind of morbid for a wedding.

I think the romance part is that they're 16, ya'll. They'll do... sixteen-year-old-ish-things. Plus, you have to think of Ginny/Harry Herm/Ron. o.O

But a wedding is possible. But again... WHY BLACK?!

Fuchsia
June 11th, 2005, 12:55 am
And that nearest arm sure looks feminine to me. Harry is nearly a fully grown man at almost 16 years old in Book 6. I don't think his arm would look that smooth. I think that is a woman's arm.

The cover art Harry still looks rather young and scrawny though. It might just be how the illustrator chooses to, well, illustrate him.

Celeste_SM
June 11th, 2005, 12:57 am
It might just be how the illustrator chooses to, well, illustrate him.

True. Take for example the scar: It's been in different places on the covers and the movies. It's all how you see it in your mind.