Muggles & Purebloods - Are the prejudices parallel?

Pzongrond
June 18th, 2005, 1:13 pm
OMG, I am sooo stupid... I know this is obvious/there isnt much to talk about, but... I JUST realized that the purebloods view of muggles and the Dursleys view of wizards is EXACTLY the same... It's just purebloods/wizards have more power..

Purebloods see muggles as inferior/worthless, and the Dursleys see wizards as freaks... Im sorry if this is a lame topic, but i just now thought of it, and thought it was an odd thought.... Kinda Ironic....

Mimble_Wimble
June 18th, 2005, 1:27 pm
You're right it is ironic. However I think that the Dursley's are an exeption when it comes to wizard-hating. The Grangers don't find wizards are freaks.

DarkSphynx
June 18th, 2005, 1:54 pm
Yes... the Dursleys do view wizards like pure-bloods view Muggles, but like Mimble_Wimble said, none of the other Muggles who know about the Wizarding World (that we know of) have the same problem. But yes, it is ironic.

Desraelda
June 18th, 2005, 2:52 pm
It's not just that the Dursleys hate wizards, it's more that they are obssessed with "normal." They don't like or are afraid of anyone that is different in their view. Look at Petunia's reaction to Tonks and her pink hair. She probably crosses the street if she sees anyone with pink hair.

The point is that the Dursleys and the Malfoys are extremely prejudiced against anyone that is not "their kind."

doudou
June 18th, 2005, 3:39 pm
strange enough, but good imagination.

123LRSC
June 18th, 2005, 3:41 pm
The Dursleys think they are better than most muggles, too, just like some wizaeds think they are better than other wizards. Its just a part of life that you always get these kinds of people.

magic_love
June 18th, 2005, 6:13 pm
The Dursleys think they're better than everyone,and not all wizards think they're superior to muggles. (think of Ron's dad)I agree with Desraelda.

RedHeadRiot
June 18th, 2005, 7:39 pm
one of the many ironies JK uses in her books. we should really start a collection of all of them because theres quite a few.

oh love i love good irony!

Glustin
June 18th, 2005, 7:47 pm
We have seen other muggles reacting similarly. Like Voldemort's father, who left his mom when he found out she was a witch. I think there are other cases like that too.

goosh
June 19th, 2005, 12:43 am
that is a bit ironic, but i guess it is true. some pure-bloods hate muggles, example malfoys. But some pure-bloods love muggles, example weasleys. Some muggles hate wizards, example Dursleys. some muggles like wizards, example Grangers. They are all people and they act normally...people always judge others whether they are muggle our pure-bloods.

danluver
June 20th, 2005, 8:52 pm
that is a bit ironic, but i guess it is true. some pure-bloods hate muggles, example malfoys. But some pure-bloods love muggles, example weasleys. Some muggles hate wizards, example Dursleys. some muggles like wizards, example Grangers. They are all people and they act normally...people always judge others whether they are muggle our pure-bloods.

I agree. JK uses judging and pride in alot of relations between muggles and wizards.

TheRainSong
June 20th, 2005, 8:59 pm
Thats how all types of prejudice work. It comes from ignorance.

Dragonious
June 20th, 2005, 9:51 pm
It's just purebloods/wizards have more power..
Not exactly, look at Hermione (muggle parentage) and Voldemort (Half and Half). They both show that you don't have to be pureblood to be very powerful.

weasley
June 20th, 2005, 10:54 pm
I thought about this too, it's very ironic! I wonder what would happen if the Dursleys met the Malfoys? The Dursleys would probably be too scared to speak, but if they acted as they usually did when talking about wizards, it would be a really funny situation.

raemarie
June 21st, 2005, 5:46 am
I thought about this too, it's very ironic! I wonder what would happen if the Dursleys met the Malfoys? The Dursleys would probably be too scared to speak, but if they acted as they usually did when talking about wizards, it would be a really funny situation.
Yeah, it'd be funny until they died! Actually it'd still be kind of funny...
I wonder what would happen if they Dursleys met the Grangers? Would they feel the same way about them, since their daughter is a witch?

Rustinpat
June 21st, 2005, 6:10 am
Very ironic. It would seem that there is prejudice no matter were you are.

MauraderNo 5
June 30th, 2005, 7:46 am
I also find it ironic that the dursley's who are very slytherine like, house Harry, who is very anti-slytherine

stealthFawkes
June 30th, 2005, 8:06 am
The Dursleys are just very conservative people in general. I don't really see the Durselys as Slytherin material, they aren't very ambitious. People tend to be prejudiced because they are either ignorant, scared, or both. Wizards and Muggles are prejudiced against each other because they fear the unknown. Muggles will go to any lengths to pretend magic doesn't exist.

Durandal
June 30th, 2005, 10:24 am
I don't know, Vernon did get to the top of the company somehow. We may not see him that way, but that did require some effort on his part (whether it was hard work or backroom dealing is beyond me, still he wanted to be top dog in the yard.) We see Vernon as lazy because his son Dudley is very lazy, and both Petunia and Vernon made him that way.

Funny how no one thinks of Petunia as lazy, she doesn't do much more work than Vernon really (remember CoS where she made Harry mow the lawn, weed the yard, spread manure on the flowerbeds, etc? Harry does work that both his aunt and uncle would have to do if he weren't there.)

Weatherby
June 30th, 2005, 11:38 am
It's human behaviour. There's a reason Wizards hide from Muggles. The Dursley's aren't the only Non-magic folk who would persecute them.
A lot of people forget about reverse racism but just because wizards have more power than muggles doesn't make their hatred any lesser for it.
Right now Wizards have the advantage because they can erase a Muggle's mind or if they tell other people they'll be thought insane.

Both "teams" are wrong.
Harry has a greater understanding of his fellow mankind at the tender age of eleven than Voldemort who still can't grasp the similarties between himself and his Grandparents.