Returning to Hogwarts

Pages : [1] 2 3

Fuchsia
July 17th, 2005, 11:07 pm
Harry does not intend to return to Hogwarts we all know.

But can this really be true?

JK Rowling's own chats contradict this. Seven books/seven school years has always been the formula.

Also, her new quote from the contest on the Leaky Cauldron says "Ravenclaw will have their day". We'll hardly see much of Ravenclaw if he leaves school.

But perhaps most important at all is Voldemort's obsession with Hogwarts. Is there a better place to search for Hogwarts founder artifacts than the school himself? We know that he at least created one horcrux while at Hogwarts.

Llyssa
July 17th, 2005, 11:11 pm
You know, I'm really not sure about Harry going back to school or not. I mean, Jo's chats have always made it seem like he was going back next year.

So I have no clue what to think.

In a way, I'm hoping that Hermione, Mrs. Weasley, or SOMEBODY grabs him and shakes him and tells his that he's got to go back to Hogwarts because I DO think that a Horcrux is there for starters.

I want to see him back at school. Who knows? Only Jo.

impedimenta
July 17th, 2005, 11:40 pm
hm - a big part of book 5 was spent with politics and involvement of society etc.

I missed that in book 6 BUT if harry would NOT return to hogwarts, it would be easier for jkr to involve harry in the fight against voldemort that takes place outside of hogwarts. And there has to be a fight outside hogwarts or I can't understand why tootp has been written at all...

but okay: maybe there's the fight harry-voldemort in hogwarts and
order of the phoenix - deatheaters outside of hogwarts - but it would really be a pity if we AGAIN won't get detailed information about the fight of the ootp agains voldemort and his followers.

ginasmads
July 17th, 2005, 11:42 pm
i think the story wont be as fantasic if we just end up following harry on a series of adventures then have a final battle, i think its much more effective to have him in school. i think that part of the ending was a let down.
i dont think he will be parted from ginny for long either!

whereswaldo
July 17th, 2005, 11:46 pm
I hope that Harry's going back to school for two resons.

1- Ginny. HBP has turned me into a H/G shipper. I just love how their personalities mix. Harry deserves to have something good in his life anyway. I'm definitely pulling for these two.

2- Harry away for Hogwarts would just feel unnatural, like a fanfiction story instead of Jo's real thing. He's always stayed there and I'm hoping we'll see more of it in the future. Although it will never be the same with Dumbledore gone. He had to be one of my favorite characters.

teo
July 17th, 2005, 11:47 pm
Unless Book 7 is going to be thousands upon thousands of pages long, I simply do not see how Harry will be able to return to Hogwarts as a student (we have surely not seen the last of Hogwarts, though). He has to find and destroy at least three of Voldemort's horcruxes, then finally kill the man himself...somehow, I don't see Chapter 1 of Book 7 will inform us that Harry found and destroyed three horcruxes in the summer holidays the end of HBP, leaving him with the time to continue his studies at Hogwarts. I will agree that Harry's apparent leaving of school was very surprising for me, as I always assumed that all seven books would take place primarily at Hogwarts.

Fuchsia
July 17th, 2005, 11:49 pm
She won't say if Fawkes has a bigger part in book seven. If Harry inherits Fawkes he can travel out of the school pretty much whenever he pleases, as Dumbledore always did.
Can Kreacher really be the new pet after all?

I think he will return to school. He should have a life after Voldemort. He should have one during Voldemort.

123LRSC
July 17th, 2005, 11:49 pm
I really hope he does go back- after al, he has always said that Hogwarts has been his home. The only reason why he won't go back is Dumbledore's demise. It's going to be really different around there, if indeed, it opens again. I don't trhink Harry will enjoy it as much, if he does go back because I think Dumbledore was part of the reason the school was so special to him.

lupislune
July 18th, 2005, 12:02 am
I think that it was the sadness talking. I can't really see JKR changing her setting of the books from Hogwarts to somewhere else. It would just seem "funny". I have to agree that the best place to look for hogwarts artitacts are at Hogwarts. How about the Chamber of Secrets. Surely, Riddle could have hidden it in there, or perhaps it is in that room of requirement, what a better place to keep some hidden trinket. Hogwarts is a reletively safe place. I don't think we have seen the last of the room of requirement.

Amina
July 18th, 2005, 12:07 am
I'll just re-post my thoughts from *** closed thread:

I can't imagine *** books without Hogwarts...I think they would/could become very narrow without the other characters etc. I also agree that Harry is in no way qualified enough judging, as you say, from his duel with Snape. There is still much he has to learn, although, whether he needs to be in school to learn it? Who knows...

Machiavellian
July 18th, 2005, 12:08 am
This past book has really upheaved a lot of my predictions about what will happen in the series. So much has occured that I never believed Rowling would do. About the only part of the book I expected was the ships. I don't think anyone, (ok maybe a few people), thought that Harry wouldn't be going to Hogwarts next book before they read HBP.

So will Harry be there in book 7 or not? Did Rowling ever specifically say the books would involve 7 years at hogwarts? And if Harry doesn't go to Hogwarts, or it doesn't reopen, what will serve as a time table for the next book?

On another note I don't think, especially after reading this past book, that Harry is ready to face Voldemort. How does he expect to even have a chance after only 6 years at Hogwarts. He doesn't even seem to me based on the past book to be ahead in Defense any more. He still hasn't mastered wordless magic. When he tried cursing Snape it was like a cat playing with a mouse. Is Harry ready to go off with Ron and Hermione to hunt down Voldemort and the Horcruxes?

So... what's going to happen?

hmmm on an unrelated topic I should really edit my sig... it just isn't necessary any more

ChoirDuck
July 18th, 2005, 12:14 am
I had thought the same thing about Harry not being ready to face Voldermort after only 6 years and I assumed Dumbledore would be there his 7th year to guide him along and get him ready while also learning more in his classes.... But who knows. I assume that Harry won't go to Hogwarts just because that's what he said, but it just doesn't seem right....

ncannie18
July 18th, 2005, 12:16 am
I'm really not sure about the future of Hogwarts but as for Harry, he will be coming of age and has no legal guardian now so I really think that Harry is serious about not returning to school. The setting for the next book might revolve around his search for the Horcruxes

scooby
July 18th, 2005, 12:25 am
I don't think that the trio will be going back to Hogwarts, even if it does re-open. Harry said so himself, and it seemed to me that he had thought about it carefully and made up his mind. Stuff school! They've got a Dark Lord to kill!

MoodyHarry
July 18th, 2005, 12:28 am
Yeah, I don't think Harry is going to go back, unless there was someone there to a) protect him or b) teach him stuff vital to survival.

I think Book 7 may be more Harry's adventures individually. Did Hogwarts close down during the previous reign of Voldemort. If so, then we can assume that Hogwarts will shut down for today.

Abraxa
July 18th, 2005, 1:39 am
I don't doubt he won't be there the whole school year, and may have quite a few DD-like excursions with Hermione and Ron. However, I feel he'll be there at least a little bit of the time, if only to learn Occlumency from a new/one of the old teachers-- because he does need to know that, as well as silent spell-casting.

LoonyLisa
July 18th, 2005, 2:04 am
I personally think that Harry shouldn't return to Hogwarts. It just wouldn't be the same without Dumbledore there. The 7th book should center around Harry's search for the Horcruxes.
When Harry first went into the Room of Requirement to hide his potions textbook I immediatly thought that maybe a Horcrux was hidden with everything else that was hidden in the RoR. Maybe Harry will make a trip to Hogwarts to search for a Horcrux or more information about Tom Riddle/Voldemort.
On a slight sidenote, I had never thought that Voldemort could be such a bad person as such a young kid. Or so powerful.

SiriusLupin
July 18th, 2005, 2:13 am
I think he'll return. I think that the Weasleys or McGonagall or Lupin will convince him that he needs to continue at Hogwarts. Not to mention he wants to be an Auror, and needs to finish his education to do this. Granted it won't be the same wtihout Dumbledore there, but he and McGonagall get along okay. Also, Snape (presumably) won't be there. It may even be a more pleasant experience for him.

However, I do think that a huge part of the 7th book will be Harry trying to find the Horcruxes and avenging Sirius and Dumbledore. Whether he does it in the summer or during his time at Hogwarts, I'm not sure.

Sabi
July 18th, 2005, 2:21 am
I think he'll return. I think that the Weasleys or McGonagall or Lupin will convince him that he needs to continue at Hogwarts. Not to mention he wants to be an Auror, and needs to finish his education to do this. Granted it won't be the same wtihout Dumbledore there, but he and McGonagall get along okay. Also, Snape (presumably) won't be there. It may even be a more pleasant experience for him.

However, I do think that a huge part of the 7th book will be Harry trying to find the Horcruxes and avenging Sirius and Dumbledore. Whether he does it in the summer or during his time at Hogwarts, I'm not sure.

Wouldn't book 7 be horribly rushed if Harry was going to still be attending Hogwarts and still trying to find the rest of the Horcruxes? Even Dumbledore was gone for days at a time, so how could Harry keep up with N.E.W.T. stuff and defeating Volde?

hermy_weasley2
July 18th, 2005, 2:22 am
I hope Harry returns to Hogwarts, and I think he will. I'm sure he'll spend a lot of time searching for the Horcruxes, but maybe this upcoming will be a cooling off period for him like the one before it. When he tells Ron he'll go to Bill and Fleur's wedding, he thiks of it as a "normal" thing so maybe something that happens at the wedding, or the wedding itself, will bring back down "normality" a little at least.

But still I'm worried since he'll be of age soon. No one can really force him to go back.

Daeanor
July 18th, 2005, 2:23 am
There is no way Harry can do what he has to do as a solo act. He needs the resources of the school, his friends, and the teachers. It's his emotion talking, just like the bit about not seeing any more of Ginny. What strong-willed woman who loves her man would accept that? Not Ginny, not for a minute. He'll be with Ginny, and he'll be in school, I'm sure of it.

MadMagic
July 18th, 2005, 2:25 am
I think and hope Harry returns to Hogwarts, but I don't think it will be in a full time student capacity. He has more important things to do, yet he has more important things to learn as well. I don't think Harry has learned everything he needs to to be able to defear Voldemort and destroy and find the 4 remaining Horcruxes.
I expect to see Hogwarts in book 7, I just think it will be in a totally different way than we have come to expect in the 6 other books.

jodiellewelly
July 18th, 2005, 2:35 am
I reckon the school will re-open, but I don't think much of the plot of the 7th book will be set there, because I dont think Harry will go back...

Kimmetje
July 18th, 2005, 2:36 am
I think that Hogwarts will stay open and that most will return to the school as Ron said (I believe it was Ron); they are as safe as home as at Hogwarts. I think that the magical community will want a place where their children at least seemed to be safe. I think that Slughorn will be dissapointed that Harry and Hermione (with Ron) will not return to Hogwarts next year. Probably the trio will not return to Hogwarts, but go further and find answers to the many mysteries around Voldemort.

Zorro
July 18th, 2005, 2:37 am
I really don't know. The Hermoine in me is saying he must go back to school. Education is very important. I also don't think Harry is up to the task of fighting Voldemort. Hell, he didn't even look up to the task duelling with Snape. He didn't stand a chance. He will have to learn a lot in my opinion, before he can face Voldemort with a fighting chance.

On the other hand, it would be difficult for Harry to get out and go hunting for Horcruxes if he is a student. I suppose he could always sneak out of school using one of the secret passages though, or just blatantly disobey the teachers and walk out the front door lol. I do however think that Voldemorts interest in Hogwarts will bring him there, so maybe that will just be the place for Harry to be too. I also think that one of the Horcruxes is hidden in the school.

I really don't know though. HArry will have a few months to think about what he is going to do, and we will have two years to debate it.

EllaBookworm
July 18th, 2005, 2:37 am
Harry will most likely return to Hogwarts, but will be making many leaves and stuff. Hogwarts should never be cut out. In my opinion, it's really the best thing ever! I'd never want to leave there, unless nessecary, which is Harry's case. It'd be interesting how strange Hogwarts is now without...him...

Harry definetly needs more Occlumency lessons. Given from someone who he DOES NOT HATE, so he can actually FOCUS. Of course, reading Harry's mind to Voldemort would be almost as painful as inhabiting him. But being 1/7th of a real human, I guess he's used to it. *smirk smirk smirk*

scooby
July 18th, 2005, 2:48 am
But won't it be exciting to see more of the wizarding world?! I, for one, am getting bored of the same old formula - Dursleys, four terms at Hogwarts, then back to the Dursleys - and can't wait to see how JKR handles the challenge of a radically different structure. I trust her implicitly; I just know she can pull it off!

The most important thing for Harry to do now is to find the Horcruxes and destroy Voldemort; education takes a definate backseat.

BLAUrabe
July 18th, 2005, 2:57 am
The rules really shouldn't have to apply for Harry anymore. He can't let anyone stop him, and no one wanting Voldemort's downfall will. Just as people gave much leanage towards Dumbledore at many points, I'm sure. But now Harry is the only way, because life as they know it will be gone, because Dumbledore is gone. Maybe Harry never will take that apparation test, I doubt he'll become an auror. Why would anyone charge Harry for killing Voldemort?! Even if Harry lives in the end (which I doubt—sorry, sorry) I don't think he'll end up in Azkaban or anything.

1hp2
July 18th, 2005, 3:02 am
I do not think Harry will go back to Hogwarts as a student. He will be way to busy in book #7.
-That doesn't mean he won't continue to learn though. He seems to learn much of his info from Hermione anyway. I wonder if he will get the HBP potions book back from the Room of Requirement.
-Just because Harry doesn't go back, that doesn't mean the whole trio drops out. They don't have to be together constantly to be working together. I think at least Hermione will return to Hogwarts. I think they would want at least one of them (if not both her and Ron) to gather info there (we learned about Voldemorts Hogwarts obsession.)
- Also, I don't think Harry can go to school and do everything else he has to do. Chances are, mcGonigal will be the new Headmistress. Do you think she would just let him come and go as he pleases? He won't tell her about the Horcruxes, so how would he convince her to bend the rules for him? She doesn't seem to be very willing to bend the rules.

SiriusLupin
July 18th, 2005, 3:14 am
I think he'll use the secret passages. It seems like the 7th book would be incomplete without Hogwarts. It will have to be in there somehow. For all we know, the Horcruxes could be right under Harry's nose. I don't know what's going to happen...I'm just pretty sure he'll be returning.

ImaWeasley
July 18th, 2005, 3:38 am
I can't beleive that Harry wouldn't go back to school at all, but now that Dumbledore is gone, maybe his protection is as well.

Also, on the spine of each book it says "Hogwarts Year One" etc... So it would be weird if book 7 didn't take place in Hogwarts.

chupachup07
July 18th, 2005, 3:42 am
I think he'll be back in school. I mean, he needs NEWTS to become an auror, and even with everything that's happened, I'd like to think he still has that ambition. And there is the whole 7 books/ 7 years thing.

nrstooge
July 18th, 2005, 4:19 am
I hope he changes his mind and continues his schooling. He needs to learn more stuff to defeat LV and the DEs.. as do the other members of the trio. Would also like to see that he became a great auror in the epilogue of the last book.

tmbourg
July 18th, 2005, 4:29 am
I think he will return to Hogwarts because that's where the 6th Horcruxe will be . Also , I don't think Ginny will take no for an answer very much longer . She's waited tp long for Harry to just let him leave .

Xayla
July 18th, 2005, 4:33 am
I do think that Harry, Ron & Hermione will return to Hogwarts. I don't know how long they will stay, but I do see the school as the place where everything has to end. I also agree that Harry is not quite ready to face LV, yet and needs the extra preparation that the teachers can give him. I think something will happen over the summer to change his mind about going back.

josh63792038475
July 18th, 2005, 5:13 am
I think he'll be at the dursley's in the beginning,

then off to the weasley's/bill and fluer's wedding,

then he'll get infromation from someone pertaining to one of the horcruxes, he'll go and get it (With help, no doubt). I know that may be rushing it... but you never know, it may not be very far away anyways, maybe mundungus will tell him where the locket is, and that'll be the one he gets.

After that I think he will come back to the weasley's, only to learn about a very major death... possibly arthur or weasley, or one of the three oldest weasley brothers,

then they will get their hogwart's letters and harry will go on about now going back and blah blah blah, but someone will convince him to, maybe saying that dumbledore would have wanted it..

once he gets there, he'll have a nice conversation with headmistress mcgonagall... about what, I have no idea, but I think it'll happen.

At some point, maybe at the first hogsmeade visit, and POSSIBLY before, we will finally be introduced to aberforth dumbledore, the owner of the hog's head inn.

We'll find out some information from him that Dumbledore gave him..

and then we may soon begin our quest for the next horcrux, based on the information from aberforth, or from information inside of the school..

harry and ron's apparition tests fit in there somewhere too...

Yes, I know this thread is about harry returning to hogwarts, but the MODs deleted the thread about the layout for book 7 because of this thread, so I decided 'why not?', That's all that I've got for now on the subject, what do you guys think??

edit: in the last 2 minutes, I thought of some other stuff... another attack at the school will reunite harry and snape.. snape will try to explain to harry that he's still on his side, but harry will not have it, and will kill snape (once again, with help, his only one-on-one will be with voldemort, as always) and the school will close down.. but harry will not have all the information he needs, and he might sneak back to the school at a later time... with help from hagrid probably, but I dont think he will reveal the plan to hagrid. I'm still thinkin of more, and once again, what do you guys think?

unknown8103
July 18th, 2005, 5:16 am
I think Harry will go back to Hogwarts. He needs to learn quite a bit of stuff before he can fight Voldemort. He could even fight Snape very well. Maybe he will learn what he needs from the new DA teacher (if hogwarts opens again). I would be disappointed if hogwarts is not shown at all but like scooby said it all gets old with the same format. I for one wouldnt mind a change.

josh63792038475
July 18th, 2005, 5:42 am
Indeed, he does have alot more stuff to learn before he goes off to fight voldemort.

eman77
July 18th, 2005, 5:47 am
was anybody else eagerly awaiting the moment that harry said that he wasn't going back to hogwarts? i was hoping to death that he would say it and he did! no more of the HP process (i.e. it's summer, he leaves the dursley's, does something interesting, goes to school, christmas, exams, huge action/adventure sequence, goes back to the dursleys, and repeat)

HP is my favorite book series, but it was always the same process, and i was going to be disappointed if he did the whole thing again in the last book. now, the school factor, the factor that i wanted out, is out.

another thing that i wanted out and now is out is that he is no longer dependant on some kind of adult. he is an adult and can from here on out make his own descisions. i loved that he didn't even tell mcgonnagal(sp?) about the horcruxes, thus adding to his idependability.

and now to get rid of ron and hermione... just kidding, they're crucial... however if harry ditched them it wouldn't be too bad, would it?

i guess i strayed a bit from the original topic, but it all adds together as part of harry's idependability and this really being Harry Potter, not Harry Potter and a Group of Other Random People that Decide to Help Him.

of course he's always going to need his friends as love is a crucial part of the series, but i like the idea of him being free and on his own, to, by himself, kill voldemort, or die trying.

Niffler80
July 18th, 2005, 5:51 am
But won't it be exciting to see more of the wizarding world?! I, for one, am getting bored of the same old formula - Dursleys, four terms at Hogwarts, then back to the Dursleys - and can't wait to see how JKR handles the challenge of a radically different structure. I trust her implicitly; I just know she can pull it off!

The most important thing for Harry to do now is to find the Horcruxes and destroy Voldemort; education takes a definate backseat.

When I first thought of a Harry without a Hogwarts I had this weird feeling in the pit of my stomach. How could he not return to Hogwarts? It's his home! But you are so right, it would be exciting to see more of the wizarding world, and I also have much trust in Jo.

Maurven
July 18th, 2005, 6:03 am
I expect to see Hogwart's serve a basing capacity for the trio and their helping entourage. As a place they will return to while plotting their next move, to do research as they research the locations of the Horcrux, etc. Plus Harry will be able to stay close to Ginny. This will serve the purpose of including the comforting and humor that Hogwarts has heretofore provided, and we'll be able to keep in touch with our old friends, but I don't really expect Harry to attend classes, or things like that.

JAD
July 18th, 2005, 6:07 am
Personally, I've noticed that JKR has spent less and less on Quiditch, classes, and basically life at hogwarts over the past book. Shes done different thigns with quiditch in the 6th book with different commetators so it wont be the same old thing and I think the lack of classes points that shes moving in a different direction with the series as Hogwarts is becoming lesss important and the characters anxc the fight agaisnt voldemort is becoming top priority. We've had 6 books at Hogwarts(witht the 6th book focusing the least on education) I feel that JKR is done with the Education side for varities sake at the least(also if you notice Harry seems to not to care more about education as with getting all the detintions and the fact he wasnt really upset witht he fact that he thought he wouldnt become an auror when they got the owls back)- its all a twisted path from here

hermyrox2
July 18th, 2005, 6:08 am
About Ravenclaw having their day, it could be that one of the horcruxes would be a ravenclaw heirloom.

Phoenix05
July 18th, 2005, 6:41 am
There's no reason not to return to Hogwarts. He has no connection to the Ministry, so he can't turn to them, and Hogwarts offers excellent teachers, a huge library, and the Room of Requirement.

Besides that, Neville supposedly has larger roles in the future books, according to a pre-HBP interview, so he'll be back. Luna, who's only friends are the trio and Ginny and Neville, also is very loyal to them, so we'll see her. What better central meeting point than Hogwarts? They'll at least have the benefit of some protection from the remaining members of the Order.

MakkaMalooga
July 18th, 2005, 7:26 am
There is nothing left for Harry at Hogwarts. With Dumbledore gone, he has nothing to gain by staying there another year. I think he may visit or recieve information from Ron or Hermione, assuming they don't follow him. My theory is that he will go into exile for a short while to learn about his past. I feel Harry will need a mentor, however. Scrimgeour is a great candidate for that; he was head of the Aurors before becoming minister, and I think Harry will finally come around and let him help.

cELESTEBLACK
July 18th, 2005, 7:50 am
He probably will go back at least once. What happens to head masters after they are dead? They get a portrit of themselves in the Headmaster's office. Harry might go back to talk to him.

I'll agree that there is another Horcruxes inside Hogwarts, if not a hint to where it could be.

The_Shadow
July 18th, 2005, 8:08 am
We know that he at least created one horcrux while at Hogwarts.

How. Can I assume that you are talking about Myrtles Death. Because unless I missed something, we don't know he created horcrux by killing her.

strwznbrry
July 18th, 2005, 8:17 am
I think he may be back not on a student basis completely but as a way of gathering information and maybe even looking for a horcrux.

If Ravenclaw has a horcrux perhaps Luna will be a help in finding it.

I would like to see Harry go back to talk to DD portrait at least once. I also wouldn't think it would be a bad idea for him to go back and collect that potions book even if it is Snapes old book it was very useful.

The_Shadow
July 18th, 2005, 8:34 am
I think he'll be back in school. I mean, he needs NEWTS to become an auror, and even with everything that's happened, I'd like to think he still has that ambition. And there is the whole 7 books/ 7 years thing.

He not might need N.E.W.T.s. Maybe killing Voldemort will be enough.

Sorry Forgetting a little off topic. I Siriusly doubt that Harry will return to Hogwarts, unless a Horcrux is there, or someone is in danger. If he does return, it will be only long enough to complete the task.

Dumbly
July 18th, 2005, 8:34 am
I'm not sure about enrolling, but I'm sure Harry will return to Hogwarts.

Trisha
July 18th, 2005, 8:40 am
"You wanna go where everybody knows your name."
Sorry, having a Cheers moment....

But hey, why not have Hogwarts: Year Seven? It reunites the usual suspects, gives Harry more time with Ginny, and is a darn sight better than another version of Gawp's Great Adventures... sorry, but that was a s-l-o-w chapter.
And assuming Harry lives (yes) and keeps his non-Voltemort related powers (maybe) he still wants to be an Auror, right? So he stays and gets his N.E.W.T.s.

Otherwise it's everyone to the farthest corners of the globe, and what kind of continuity is that? Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't she introduced enough characters? (Several hundred according to audio cassette reader Jim Dale.)
So let's just keep it simple: Harry goes back.

ladyblack23
July 18th, 2005, 9:24 am
i think that the next book will be set in only the summer holidays. I cant bear that Harry , ron adn hermione would not go back to hogwarts and finsih their school careers. I think that they will defeat Voldemort and then the book will end with who ever still survives going back to hogwarts. This also means that we wil never have to face the horrible prospect of hogwarts without DD

ttb
July 18th, 2005, 9:41 am
I think he will go back to Hogwarts, for the simple reason there would only be two places where the last battle will most certainly happen, either the Ministry Of Magic or Hogwarts, it's just a felling, but where else? Maybe even Godric's Hollow - "Where it all started", it will end.

And he will need support in his quest; he will only get that at Hogwarts and The Order so it is a very likely chance that he will go back.

daz
July 18th, 2005, 9:43 am
So how do you think the 7th book will go now Harry wont return to Hogwarts?

I think it will be very odd not to have to much hogwarts in book 7.

_Zd_Phoenix_
July 18th, 2005, 9:48 am
I think that JK has to take Harry away from Hogwarts now, he's reached that stage where the events have outgrown the school...plus it seems to me that actually he wasn't learning enough there.

MadPotter2121
July 18th, 2005, 10:02 am
I doubt he'll leave Hogwarts for good, i get a sense of McGongall coming to him and asking him to return just so others can too, there is no way Rowling is just gonna cut out every character expect Harry, Ron and Hermonie(The last two arent even 1`00% going on his journey with him, he can always sneak off). So Im thinking they would want to give Neville, Luna, McGongall and the rest proper goodbyes. Who knows, well see in about 5 years :-(!

Carbito
July 18th, 2005, 10:08 am
I think that somehow he will still end up back at Hogwarts, the book would just be so incredibly empty and dull without Hogwarts.

Barney
July 18th, 2005, 10:08 am
I hope he stays at hogwarts but then, if his goal is to be an auror and the Minister of Magic has already offered that to him, may be he doesn't need school anymore. An auror tracks down dark wizards, Harry's job of tracking down Voldemort makes him an auror now. He also has the gold he inherited from his parents and Sirius so I guess he doesn't need to worry about a career at this stage, he can wait until after he dispenses of Voldemort - then no one in the Ministry could deny him auror status!

Fat Friar
July 18th, 2005, 10:21 am
Well, he'll at least have to go back and ask Dumbledore how to destroy a Horcrux. Then he'll have to learn a way of doing it several times without ending up looking like Mad-Eye Moody.

That, and I just can't see him totally abandoning the place. Hogwarts is like the fourth member of the trio. :)

MadPotter2121
July 18th, 2005, 10:25 am
but the school brings a certain magic thing to the book, all the students and everything else, ooo i dont wanna wait :'(

_Zd_Phoenix_
July 18th, 2005, 10:31 am
I don't think it's POSSIBLE for him to stay there is it? Hogwarts represents a sort of innocence tat HBP shattered...now Harry's cut away the ties of school and Ginny and the other typical teenage things that he has been a part of despite the impending evil, he has now almost accepted his coming of age and is going to go forwords, whereas Hogwarts and things associated with it are the way back.

It doesn't mean that it won't be a part of the story though...

PotterPirate
July 18th, 2005, 10:39 am
Harry might just have said that because he was upset, but maybe he'll realise with help from his friends that he isn't powerful enough and needs to go back. But then you'd hit the problem of how he would be able to find all the horcruxes whilst being at school, unless he does tell the order and they help. But I doubt that he will tell them because DD told him only to tell Ron and Hermione.

REDMONSTER85
July 18th, 2005, 10:40 am
i dont thinke Harry is anywhere close to being able to take on voldy. i believe the first part of the book will be about Harry very sort trip o the Dursleys (about 2 weeks me thinks) and then a month or two if intense traniong from trusted aruors( trused by the order) and the order members themselfs. i feel Harry is gonna take a leadership role in the Order since he knows it is HIS fight now. he will let Lupin and Mcgonagall know aboutg the prochey and they will make it where people in the order trust him to make the right decions. the rest o the book after the traning will be avout searching out for LV's soul and *** final battle.

Mrs_Smith
July 18th, 2005, 10:41 am
I don't think it's POSSIBLE for him to stay there is it? Hogwarts represents a sort of innocence tat HBP shattered...now Harry's cut away the ties of school and Ginny and the other typical teenage things that he has been a part of despite the impending evil, he has now almost accepted his coming of age and is going to go forwords, whereas Hogwarts and things associated with it are the way back.

It doesn't mean that it won't be a part of the story though...

I agree, Harry, in a way, has always had to have the responsibilities that a parent would usually have, and with Dumbledore gone, there is not much more that he can accomplish by staying at the school. I think that he'll have to go and sit his apparation test, but appart from that i don't think Hogwarts will really be part of the picture. Hogwarts is a school, which is associated with children, and i think its clear that Harry is no longer a child, nor does he act or think like one.

I found it surprising that Ron and Hermione are going with him. I at least expected Hermione to finish her schooling.

The seventh book will be open to far more possibilites now that it will be set in the wide world...exciting, can't wait!

Tiphany
July 18th, 2005, 10:41 am
I'm sure Hogwarts will be involved somewhere in book 7; but Harry's grown up very suddenly. A lot of HBP is a coming-of-age story. Harry's a man now, not a kid; he doesn't want to play around at school being looked after by adults, he wants to go out and meet his destiny. He can't ever look backwards and be innocent and carefree: none of them can, now they've seen so much darkness and bitterness, but it's worst for Harry. He can't avoid his fate; he must go out to meet it. He's going to feel even more separate from the other pupils now, such that being with them won't be much comfort to him: he knows he must stand alone. Poor Harry.

go_go_girl
July 18th, 2005, 10:43 am
I agree that Harry has outgrown the school and everything in it. Like girlfriends and gossip and everything that is part of going to school. The events of the outside world hold so much importance and it would be incredibly limited for Jo to create suspense and huge events in a school which is so heavily guarded and even though it has been great in the past six books it would be hard to make it sound possible to have Harry and Voldemort dueling there (that's of course if they do duel). The seventh will be the one that shows Harry outgrowing school and everything vain and trivial that goes with it. The seventh book will be when Harry will have grown up and is completely prepared to to face the most important part of his life.

Wab
July 18th, 2005, 10:44 am
I doubt he will leave Hogwarts entirely. If nothing else he's not interesting enough to carry a book alone and not good enough to get through the DEs to V without help.

acire
July 18th, 2005, 10:49 am
If Harry runs off from Hogwarts without Ron and Hermione what's he going to do then? Will he run around meeting DD's old friends for info about how to catch Voldemort and kill him? Will he become an underaged member of the order? I think Harry is supposed to learn HEAPS during his seventh year (can we stil call it his 7th year if he isn't at Hogwarts?). I think Harry will return to Hogwarts occasionally.

_Zd_Phoenix_
July 18th, 2005, 10:51 am
The seventh will be the one that shows Harry outgrowing school and everything vain and trivial that goes with it. The seventh book will be when Harry will have grown up and is completely prepared to to face the most important part of his life.

I think that HBP was actually the one that showed him outgrowing it.

I think that book 7 will actually be war, since so far Voldemort hasn't made any particularly big moves except for the killing of Dumbledore that leaves things open to him perhaps.

Hogwarts playing a part in the war as a location is likely to me, but Harry being based there as a student, as most people seem to agree here would be wrong.

Nymph
July 18th, 2005, 10:51 am
but the school brings a certain magic thing to the book, all the students and everything else, ooo i dont wanna wait :'(

So true, the first time I read it, I read " I will come back to Hogwarts even if it's close"
I needed to reread it to see it properly... couldn't believe Harry would be this heartless with his home.

I hope he comes back, sure he has to, to find the Horcruxes...
If he does not come back for his 7th year, what's the point of making 7 book instedad of 12 ?

Dare Devil
July 18th, 2005, 10:52 am
I can imagine that Harry will still return to Hogwarts but not as a normal student. I mean, Snape has finished him off quite easily and I am sure that he is more than able to do it again so Harry would be well advised to learn how to close his mind and how to do spells without speaking. I don't see how else he can have a chance against Snape if Harry does not want to use Avada Kedavra himself.

So yes, as I said above I can imagine Harry to return to Hogwarts but not as a normal student but rather as somebody who will receive a special combat oriented training. Besides, it is rather unlikely that Hogwarts will do normal buisness as usuall. I mean, chance is that it will either be closed for the general public or that there will be so few students that the teachers will be able to give ALL those few who remain a special training. I can imagine that this will not only include Harry, Ron and Hermione I also think that Neville, Luna and a few others will be there.

JadedPadfoot
July 18th, 2005, 10:58 am
Well, the last book will obviously focus on the Horcruxes, which will take up most of the book I presume, so Hogwarts doesn't fit into finding them and killing Voldy.

unknowngoat
July 18th, 2005, 10:59 am
(My first post)
As of now Harry has decided not to return to Hogwarts, though he may be convinced to later. My question stands is he going to take is Appiration test still?

Dare Devil
July 18th, 2005, 11:02 am
Well, the last book will obviously focus on the Horcruxes, which will take up most of the book I presume, so Hogwarts doesn't fit into finding them and killing Voldy.
Well, Harry and the others will still need a place to stay. I mean, I doubt that the Dursleys would allow Harry to use their house as a base and they have to stay somewhere. Sure, they could also stay at the Weasley's house but this could provoke a Death Eater attack and I doubt that Harry wants to expose them to such a risk. No Hogwarts or perhaps the order's HQ are more likely bases imho.

Morgan
July 18th, 2005, 11:05 am
I was wondering about this too, the books have ALWAYS been based around the year at Hogwarts and I don't see it possible for Harry to not go back. I'm pretty sure he will go back for year seven, something will make him go back, maybe Voldemort will be at the school or he'll realise that the last horcrux is at the school or something. It won't be a normal year of course but Hogwarts will still be there.

veritas_rose
July 18th, 2005, 11:06 am
Here's my two cents, though bear in mind, I've had 11 hours of sleep total since Wednesday:
I think that, if Harry survives his defeat of Voldemort, that he will become the permanent DADA Professor. We've already seen that he has a knack for it, and if Voldemort is gone, then the curse on the position will more than likely be gone as well. I could envision that, seeing as Harry would not really need to finish his schooling for that job. Hagrid became a Professor because of experience in the field... and Harry would more than definitely qualify in that area. I think that after battleing Voldemort, Harry will be a bit tired, and maybe not want to become an Auror. But I think teaching DADA would be just right as a "retirement job" for the Chosen One.

Dreaming_Wolf
July 18th, 2005, 11:07 am
I also think that Hogwarts will still be part of the plot. But before HBP, I was thinking that it would be a miracle if Harry finished his schooling. There's just too much going on. He can go back to school later -- if it's there...

Ursurper
July 18th, 2005, 11:20 am
i defiantely think that hogwarts will play a role in the next book as i think i remember seeing somewhere in book six that there were magics or something possibly hidden in hogwarts that voldy may have wanted, in all i think that hogwarts will be the place of the final showdown between harry and voldy

claret101
July 18th, 2005, 11:28 am
I don't see how it can work if Hogwarts closes and/or Harry leaves it! I mean, everyone we know is there!

Unless maybe everyone leaves Hogwarts and we kind of relocate to Grimmauld Place? Most people are in the Order, and the trio could join now (they'll be overage and could have left school).

But I don't think it's a good idea. And Harry managed to get into Potions, is he gonna quit school now and not get NEWTs and not be able to be an auror? Unless everyone kind of takes a year out and Harry defeats Voldemort and then goes back to school? I think we need the school, though it probably isn't all that safe now... Plus DD's portrait is there and I think we need that! Maybe it could be moved.

TreacleTart7
July 18th, 2005, 11:53 am
I think Hogwarts will still be in Book 7, even if Harry doesn't spend the entire year there... I simply refuse to believe that Harry won't return to the place he loves the most, even if it's now tainted with bad memories. It'll be interesting to see his journey in the "real world" with Ron and Hermione....

_Zd_Phoenix_
July 18th, 2005, 11:59 am
I don't see how it can work if Hogwarts closes and/or Harry leaves it! I mean, everyone we know is there!

Indeed, and whoever it was who said they didn't know where JK could go from here was definately right, but it can't stay the same. Howarts is part of a trivial life that Harry has to move past now, he knows that bigger things are happening and he plans to make them happen.

Hogwarts might be in the book, but it will not be there as it is now.

JenTheWriter
July 18th, 2005, 12:03 pm
I was kind of shocked to learn he wasn't going back to Hogwarts, but really -- what else can he learn there? The man who taught him what he needed to know most is gone. Plus, he wound up teaching the most informational Dark Arts stuff and he's had a helping hand from Snape's mom and some potions and spells.

It'll be weird not seeing him at Hogwarts, but I think eventually he has to return. I don't know why. But it kinda freaks me out that he won't be going back ... because now it's blown any kind of chance he has at becoming an Auror. Doesn't it? He won't have the proper requirments. It kind of like spells the doom of Harry. Returning back to Godric's Hollow, visiting his parents grave. It seems all kind of final. So was his "break-up" chat with Ginny, wishing they had had more time.

Ugh. I hope I'm wrong.

Crown
July 18th, 2005, 12:14 pm
I don't understand why anybody would feel that Harry should return to Hogwarts in Book 7. Did anyone - honestly - reading HBP feel that it wasn't somewhat abnormal that Harry was worrying and wondering about Quidditch of all things?!

Honestly, this book - for me - was in limbo whenever we moved away from Voldemort's past, Malfoy's scheme and to a lesser extent Harry learning something new. The entire Quidditch and 'romance' scenes were just painfull. Harry is marked for death by the baddest wizard of all time, a wizard with power equal to Dumbledore, and he is spending his year worrying about Quidditch!?

I'm sorry, but I knew Dumbledore had to die in order to finally push Harry out from under his very impressive shadow - not that I wasn't sad when it happened - and now it is time for Harry to step up to the plate and be a man for crying out loud.

granger_h
July 18th, 2005, 12:17 pm
i think that harry will stay at hogwarts to start off with and then he will go off to destroy the horquixes.

LivingDeadDol
July 18th, 2005, 12:18 pm
Harry must have to go back to Hogwarts at some point, like everyone says, the last book won't be the same without the school. And what about Hagrid? He said at the end on HBP that he will certainly not be leaving the school grounds, so does that mean no more Hagrid and Fang??
And we all know that the last book is all about answering all the current unanswered questions we have, and i think some of those answers are in that castle.
Like someone else mentioned, i think there will be a huge battle there as i think Snape will possibly return.. (maybe?)
I also think that if Harry doesn't return to Hogwarts then the next book would be mainly based in Grimmauld Place or The Burrow.
Poor Harry!

_Zd_Phoenix_
July 18th, 2005, 12:25 pm
I don't understand why anybody would feel that Harry should return to Hogwarts in Book 7. Did anyone - honestly - reading HBP feel that it wasn't somewhat abnormal that Harry was worrying and wondering about Quidditch of all things?!

Thank you! I've been waiting for someoen to say that. The whole Quiddich/Ginny/Ron and Hermione jealousy thing seemed so very immature for the place that the books had got to, but since it looks ike it was more of a last gasp before Harry comes of age, it actually seems to work for me now.

But now Harry IS to come of age (although I'd say he has already) the book must change, and Hogwarts...he's outgrown it.

Kevin
July 18th, 2005, 1:01 pm
Harry has a quest to go on in order to find the remaining Horcruxes. And he won't be able to do that stuck at Hogwarts as a student. I believe that all the paths Harry will take in the final book will probably lead him back to Hogwarts. Harry needed the death of Dumbledore to spur him on. He now realises that with Dumbledore gone, he is now unprotected. However Harry is going to do his very best to defeat Voldemort. And remember what Dumbledore said about the prophecy, Harry does not have to follow it. He can choose his own path. Which doesn't mean he will run away from what he has to do. He has ample reasons for facing upto Voldemort, well apart from whatever the prophecy might say.

I think Dumbledores death may unite the houses of Hogwarts, well with whatever students are left there. I think the DA will ride once more into battle against the DE's.

And as for Harry not being able to fight Snape, don't underestimate Harry. All he needs to do is to master his feelings of anger and hate. Besides Snape has lost his control over Harry. Snape is not a Hogwarts teacher anymore and Harry is no longer his Pupil. Harry got to Snape when he called him a coward.

_Zd_Phoenix_
July 18th, 2005, 1:06 pm
And as for Harry not being able to fight Snape, don't underestimate Harry. All he needs to do is to master his feelings of anger and hate. Besides Snape has lost his control over Harry. Snape is not a Hogwarts teacher anymore and Harry is no longer his Pupil. Harry got to Snape when he called him a coward.

Snape was livid I'd say and after what he'd just done I'm not surprised.

However I think Snape is more likely to teach Harry ratehr than fight him, afterall Snape had plenty of chances to hurt him when Harry was firing off spells, but he didn't even do that.

daz
July 18th, 2005, 1:10 pm
I can see him needing to search Europe for bits of Voldemort and
Durmstrang as we know Krum does reappear again. So i think he has better things to do than Hogwarts.

Crown
July 18th, 2005, 1:13 pm
Snape was livid I'd say and after what he'd just done I'm not surprised.

However I think Snape is more likely to teach Harry ratehr than fight him, afterall Snape had plenty of chances to hurt him when Harry was firing off spells, but he didn't even do that.

Actually, if you notice what Snape says to Harry at the end;

"Blocked again and again and again until you learn to keep your mouth shut and your mind closed, Potter!" sneered Snape, deflecting the curse once more.

He was still teaching Harry what he needed to learn; Occlumency.

Not only to defeat him (Snape), but if Harry is going to have a chance against Voldemort, he is going to have to learn Occlumency, unless of course Harry likes feeling like his scar is on fire and causing so much pain that he roles up into the fetal position. We know that Voldemort is using Occlumency against Harry now - to keep Harry out of his thoughts - but were I Voldemort and I were facing Harry in a duel, knowing the pain Harry feels when he feels my rage (since Harry doesn't know Occlumency yet) I would use it. It would be very stupid of Harry to expect Voldemort to not use this tactic against him.

Knucker
July 18th, 2005, 1:18 pm
Good plan to take him away the castle is getting to boring and without Dumbledore there now to help him there isn't actually any reasons for him to stay. I was wondering though whether Hermione and Ron will return or not. I think someone has to go back to the castle or the final show down will be in the castle though! thats where it all began (well it began at harry's proper home but he first spotted the dark lord in the forest at hogwarts)
be interesting to see who the knew head teacher is.. or do we all think that Mcgonagall(sp?) will keep the head place??

_Zd_Phoenix_
July 18th, 2005, 1:21 pm
He was still teaching Harry what he needed to learn; Occlumency.

My point was that Snape is likely to help Harry, unless he truely does not believe Harry is worthy in which case he may indeed need to show Snape that he can defeat him and as Snape said, he needs to learn to not have to speak as well as the Occlumency.

jibril5
July 18th, 2005, 1:25 pm
my point is harry did not leave hogwarts wer book 6 ended.....unlike other books which ended in king's cross.....so probably he will start from hogwarts maybe he will meet dd's portrait b4 he leaves

daz
July 18th, 2005, 1:30 pm
How can Snape Help Harry. He is wanted for murder and Harry can not stand the man. Jeez have some common sense.

Knucker
July 18th, 2005, 1:42 pm
i was thinking that to, the next time you hear about snape he will be on the side of the dark lord and harry will probably try to kill him along with draco.

However .. jibril5 good thinking i hadnt thought of the fact that harry indeed did not leave on the hogwarts express yes there was mention of it leaving an hour after the funeral but no one was ever put on it. Maybe everyone will be stranded at hogwarts? or maybe harry will get Dumbledores army back together to track down the Lord

scooby
July 18th, 2005, 1:48 pm
Who cares if book 7 isn't "the same"?! Change is good, people! Honestly, I think there's a 9/10 chance that Harry will die, anyway. Face it - next year, the trio are gonna be on the lam!!!

P.S. I think that's where Krum will come into it; I think the trio will visit Durmstrang (and many other wizardy places).

_Zd_Phoenix_
July 18th, 2005, 1:49 pm
How can Snape Help Harry. He is wanted for murder and Harry can not stand the man. Jeez have some common sense.

I suggest you follow your own policy. It's called plot.

Just because there is the rift now does not mean that it will be there for the whole next book, even if they will never be friends.

Snape has ALREADY helped Harry through the HBP notes, and so feasably can help him alot more and of course he is close to LV so obvious help can come there.

haddow
July 18th, 2005, 1:57 pm
It was a shock to learn Harry wont return to hogwarts. But it seems right, there are more important things to do.

Harry has outgrown the school, Dumbledore would have been the only one able to help Harry. If he had lived Harry would have returned. But as it is Harry needs to do this alone.

Da_Chinkster
July 18th, 2005, 2:27 pm
I doubt Hogwarts will be completely omitted from the 7th book, but it may be more in the background. I do think the trio will return if not only for a short while. I think either clues will lead them to Hogwarts, or there is someone to save at Hogwarts, or Harry simply needs some advice from one of the teachers/Hagrid.

Crown
July 18th, 2005, 2:30 pm
The only reason I would see Harry returning to Hogwarts would be if his 'quest' takes him there, and I also like the fact that Book 7 is turning out to be a true-blue detective/hunt story.

Although I would be suprised if Harry doesn't return to Hogwarts to ask Professor McGonagall a few questions - she after all attending school the same time as Riddle.

fortuna_major
July 18th, 2005, 2:34 pm
As was stated at the end of the book, harry will not be returning to hogwarts, with hermione and ron agreeing, I realy cant see herminone not going as all she has wanted is to pass her exams and get good grades. Will she ultimately sacrifice this in order to help harry? and why did harry break up with Ginny for her protection so that she will be safe as Vold has a tendancy to attack the people closest to harry.if he is begrungingly willing to alow his 2 best freinds to put their like in danger in the way he dosent want ginny tyo face the same danger. what are you thoughts as this has kinda got me a bit confused

moonlite
July 18th, 2005, 2:36 pm
I doubt Hogwarts will be completely omitted from the 7th book, but it may be more in the background. I do think the trio will return if not only for a short while. I think either clues will lead them to Hogwarts, or there is someone to save at Hogwarts, or Harry simply needs some advice from one of the teachers/Hagrid.
I agree, we atleast will *hopefully* have a glimpe of Hogwarts next year (if it remains open that is). I was really surprised that Harry, Ron and Hermione are not planning to go back at Hogwarts next year... what about their N.E.W.T exams? I mean, if they do manage to defeat Voldemort, what next? What will they do without qualifications? And didn't Harry want to become an Auror? :huh: Ah well, I guess there are much more important things for them to worry about right now...

I'm excited to see how the next book will turn out, but i'll certainly miss Hogwarts with all its mysteries and secret passageways. *a bit sad*

Militarized
July 18th, 2005, 2:36 pm
As was stated at the end of the book, harry will not be returning to hogwarts, with hermione and ron agreeing, I realy cant see herminone not going as all she has wanted is to pass her exams and get good grades. Will she ultimately sacrifice this in order to help harry? and why did harry break up with Ginny for her protection so that she will be safe as Vold has a tendancy to attack the people closest to harry.if he is begrungingly willing to alow his 2 best freinds to put their like in danger in the way he dosent want ginny tyo face the same danger. what are you thoughts as this has kinda got me a bit confused

Because although they are indeed his friends I don't think they come quite as close to his heart as Ginny does, even after all the time they've spent together. I think this has to do with Harrys ability to love and love so deeply. I think he wouldn't be able to stand another death of someone that is NOW so close to his heart along with Sirius/Dumbledore.

Matridia
July 18th, 2005, 2:40 pm
be interesting to see who the knew head teacher is.. or do we all think that Mcgonagall(sp?) will keep the head place??
I think that McGongall will probably be the new headmistress. If it's not her (and if Hogwarts doesn't shut down), then I think it will be a new character that we haven't been introduced to yet, or that has been very low key, up until now.

Crown
July 18th, 2005, 2:40 pm
I agree, we atleast will *hopefully* have a glimpe of Hogwarts next year (if it remains open that is). I was really surprised that Harry, Ron and Hermione are not planning to go back at Hogwarts next year... what about their N.E.W.T exams? I mean, if they do manage to defeat Voldemort, what next? What will they do without qualifications? And didn't Harry want to become an Auror? :huh: Ah well, I guess there are much more important things for them to worry about right now...

I don't see why people are so concerned about N.E.W.T. exams and qualifications and such. Many students (in the real world) have been known to take 'breaks' from their studies to pursue other interests and then pick up where they left off at a later date.

SiriusBlack
July 18th, 2005, 2:42 pm
It is like Dumbledore said isn't it? The differences between Voldemort and Harry. Voldemort liked to do everything independantly, he didn't like t rely on others. Because he had no love. But on the other hand, Harry is different. He won't be doing everything alone. And owing to the fact Dumbledore allowed him to confide in evereything that went on with only Hermione adn Ron, that means they know everything and how important it is. Ginny doesn't know and anyways, Dumbledore didn't ask him to tell her.

daz
July 18th, 2005, 2:43 pm
I suggest you follow your own policy. It's called plot.

Just because there is the rift now does not mean that it will be there for the whole next book, even if they will never be friends.

Snape has ALREADY helped Harry through the HBP notes, and so feasably can help him alot more and of course he is close to LV so obvious help can come there.

Oh so Harry who has always hated him and has now killed Dumbledore will say fine lets talk and be friends. Harry hates him and Snape hates Harry. Snape does not want to help Hatty and never has, he HATES him.

esevre
July 18th, 2005, 2:44 pm
Harry has too much to do and not enough time for school. Unless they don't have classes in the 7th year he doesn't have time for school. But I think that the library and resources of Hogwarts will be very usefull to Harry, perhaps he will take to using the pensieve to work out clues.

fortuna_major
July 18th, 2005, 2:47 pm
but dont you think that if what D said about one of the things V underestimates in harry is his abilty to love so openly that having ginny with him and not so desperatly trying to protect her might be an advantage to harry. in the upcoing battle.

Sithos
July 18th, 2005, 2:50 pm
I feel that the reason He allowed Ron and Hermione to come and not Ginny was not because they're not as close to him as her, but closer. He has known and loved the two of them for 6 years, and if anyone was going to come with him, it would be those two. I think he feels Ginny would be kind of a handycap going into battle, and I agree.

popping corn
July 18th, 2005, 2:55 pm
I think that eventually ginny will die.
but it is a bit of a shocker that harry decided not to return to hogwarts.
hermione agreeing wasnt so shocking because she's done dangerous things before that may have resulted in her being expelled. hermione understands that there are some things more important than school and exams and she says so herself in ootp.

i think that harry knows that now he has no choice on whether Ron and Hermione follow him or not.
but i am interested in seeing Mrs Weasley's reaction!!

HarGin
I don't think Harry believes Ginny would be a handycap but it might have something to do with her being an underage wizard. She wouldn't be allowed to do any magic.

phoenix1982
I think the D.A will reform and they will all help Harry. We can't just have the trio for the entire book and thats it. Neville, Loony, Hermy, Ron and Ginny will all be pivetal in the final book. Ginny will muscle her way back in with Harry, or else!

HarGin
July 18th, 2005, 2:59 pm
I reckon that they'll visit Hogwarts during the year. I thought that maybe Snape hid a horcrux there before V killed Harry's parents.

fortuna_major
July 18th, 2005, 3:00 pm
i agree i think now that D has been eliminated from the battle(maybe) and ultimately harry will have to face V alone he aint gonna be able to stop all the death eaters out there to get to V, he's gonna need the DA to help him he cannot completely withdraw himself from the wizarding comunity of the people he loves most as that ultimately mean he has to go it alone (just like V) and thats not waht harrys about its freinds, loves and loves lost he will need these people around if he is to suceed. harry is not as stong alone as he is with the positive influences around him

skittles2
July 18th, 2005, 3:01 pm
I really don't know what to think, but if Harry really needs to search for the Horcruxes he can't stay at Hogwarts all year. Which means he will have to stop going to school and search for them. Hermione and Ron said they were going to be there for him, and I believe they really meant it. But the way I know Harry, he will just go off on his own so as not to get them in danger or some stupid noble thing.
As for him breaking up with Ginny, that was just plain stupid. I mean, come on, Dumbledore was telling him about the power the Drak Lord knows not, the ability to LOVE. "Hmmm....I can kill Voldemort because I can love...who do I love? Ginny. Well, I better go dump her." That just doesn't make sense and I hope that eventually he will see that he made a mistake and get over his darn nobleness.

Flo
July 18th, 2005, 3:05 pm
It's never said that it would have to be Harry who has to find the horcruxes. He has the whole Order of the Phoenix to help him, and he will most definitely need them before the end.

Herminia
July 18th, 2005, 3:05 pm
I think they'll return, but not with education as their main focus. They'll need to work to unite the school, and I'm hardpressed to believe that there would be no Hogwarts whatsoever for them. Harry sometimes speaks rashly when he's hurt, so hopefully this was one of those times.

fortuna_major
July 18th, 2005, 3:09 pm
harry will have the backing of the DA and the Order, he'd be just like V to think he can do it alone. and its true D never once told harry that he alone must find the horcruxes, if they are anything like the one in river he's gonna need people with connections and maybe a bit more logical outlook as hary can be rash when under pressure i think he's gonna need to rely on more people in order to get face to face with V

Desraelda
July 18th, 2005, 3:11 pm
Ginny will muscle her way back in with Harry, or else!
That's our Ginny :eyebrows:

I was totally shocked when Harry said he wouldn't be going back to Hogwarts. I was even more shocked when Ron said he and Hermione would be going with Harry to the Dursleys. Now that's what I call sacrificing anything for friendship.

The first question is, will Hogwarts reopen? I think so, but on a limited basis so the fifth years (Ginny, Luna) can have their OWL exams, the 7th years, their NEWT exams, and for any other students whose parents might allow them to continue.

The reason I think it will reopen is that Harry has to go back. Not to attend school, but for several reasons. I think he needs to retrieve the potions book from the ROR. And I'm sure someone or several someones have already said that a horcrux may be hidden there, most likely in the Chamber of Secrets, or even in the RoR.

fortuna_major
July 18th, 2005, 3:14 pm
That's our Ginny :eyebrows:

The reason I think it will reopen is that Harry has to go back. Not to attend school, but for several reasons. I think he needs to retrieve the potions book from the ROR. And I'm sure someone or several someones have already said that a horcrux may be hidden there, most likely in the Chamber of Secrets, or even in the RoR.
that sounds like a reasonable conclusign as im sure somewhere i read that somehting from the second book will have a major part to play in the last 2 books so the chamber of SecretS hold more than one. and i think its logical to assume that another Horcrux is hidden there

AmirSherhan
July 18th, 2005, 3:21 pm
I think that the D.A will get back together and help him along with the order. It would be the ultimate ending to have a massive battle with all the good folk (D.A, Teachers, Order etc.) versus the dark side (Voldey, Death Eaters etc.)

I think we got a small taste of that in HBP with the fight in the school. I dunno if it would happen but i think it would be cool.

I too think he'll return to Hogwarts. He would have to. I seriously doubt he'd be able to go for a whole year (or a whole book) without going to Hogwarts for something.

I do think Ron and Hermione will go with him and i think they'll help a lot. He did quite a lot of stuff on his own in HBP (Going into Malfoys train compartment, trying to get into the RoR, Chasing Snape and the other Death Eaters). I think he might go back to his friends in the next book and i think he'll realise that he'll need them.

Anyone think that Malfoy might end up helping him?

tarachristwen
July 18th, 2005, 3:23 pm
maybe for harry and ron but not hermione cos she loves studying but yet i could be wrong about that.....

Quicksilver
July 18th, 2005, 3:24 pm
I reckon that they'll visit Hogwarts during the year. I thought that maybe Snape hid a horcrux there before V killed Harry's parents.

I was thinking at least one of the horcruxes would be in the Room of Requirement (you know, students hiding all their illegal stuff). I should go back and read the description of things in there, there may be a clue.

fortuna_major
July 18th, 2005, 3:34 pm
Ok well i was just thinking, i may not describe what im thinking right but im sure you'll get the jist of it. Anyways, ok we now know that love is harrys uderestimated weapon, ok so harry is protecting Ginny by breaking up with her, as as stated above it ould be just like Ginny to get back in somehow, But ok this is what i was thinking ginny gets caught by V and is being used as a lure or something, harry goes up against V and V aims likea Ava kad at ginny, harry jumps in the way sacrificing himself for love! and as V has marked Harry as his equal is his undoing, not just bouncing opf harry as it did origianly but turing on V instead. obvoiulsy at his point harry would have found the horcruxs's i dunno but it seems plausable any ideas?

PotterPirate
July 18th, 2005, 3:41 pm
What I find really strange about the trio saying they won't return to Hogwarts is that JK has said 7 books = 7 years at Hogwarts. I wouldn't have thought that they can go a whole year without going to Hogwarts.

gloob
July 18th, 2005, 3:51 pm
I really hope they don't close down Hogwarts! It'll be an insult to Dumbledore's memory..

Anyway, I don't think it'll be the last we see of the castle, at any rate. There are still many secrets hidden within its walls that we have yet to discover..

Daeanor
July 18th, 2005, 3:53 pm
I think the Order will convince Harry he needs to go back to school, and I think the Ministry will want the school to stay open if only to promote the idea they have things more in hand than they actually do. That concept was repeated enough - not by accident, I'm confident enough of that. I also think it would be a really bad thing for JKR to send a message that it's OK to drop out of school - the Weasley twins were bad enough, but Harry is another matter.

And no way Ginny is going to accept Harry blocking her out. She is becoming more like Molly each book.

123LRSC
July 18th, 2005, 3:54 pm
Originally posted by Desraelda
The first question is, will Hogwarts reopen? I think so, but on a limited basis so the fifth years (Ginny, Luna) can have their OWL exams, the 7th years, their NEWT exams, and for any other students whose parents might allow them to continue.

Ginny has already done her OWLS. She would be in 6th year in the next book.

fortuna_major
July 18th, 2005, 3:57 pm
i think they will have to arrange soemthing where they have to return, for a least something. and Ginny will not stand by idily as harry faces V she will find a way to be at his side, she said she hadnt given up on him before she wont now that she has him (so to speak) i really think Ginny has a major role to play in the last battle.

fourmoreyears
July 18th, 2005, 4:05 pm
It's depressing, isn't it? Hogwarts is where all of Harry's hopes and dreams have come to fruition. He met his two best friends there; he met his "fatherly" figure Dumbledore; a lot of his skills for becoming a great wizard came about there; he fell in love with Ginny there...and yet he won't be returning. I think that more than anything signifies Harry becoming a man and really leaving his childhood behind.

kitkat310
July 18th, 2005, 4:07 pm
IMO, I don't think Harry loves Ginny, like the true love blah blah blah, I think he cares for her, and had a crush, at least that was the impression I got. (More lust than love, basically teenage romance) I also think that he doesn't feel that Ginny will be ready to help him. He trusts Hermione and Ron, because look what they've been through together (Although, If Harry only felt like taking two of his friends along, Ginny and Hermione might be better choices....) But I also think JK rowling showed that Harry's actual love life, is not what matters in this story, yes he's a normal boy so of course he has crushes, and has good relationships, but ultimately, that isn't a big part of the story.

Silentone
July 18th, 2005, 4:11 pm
Perhaps Ginny isn't as close to harry as the other two? She really doesn't know Harry truly, they had a fling, but that doesn't mean they are in love for life or anything, it just means they had a fling, the reality is Ron and Hermione are far closer to Harry than Ginny is, they have been his mates for 6 years now, close friends who have shared alot with him. Ginny has only been around for two other books, she was MIA in goblet for some reason, and she hasn't really hung out with harry much at all, she doesn't truly know him as a person outside of what ron has said about him. In fact Harry's infatuation doesn't quite make sense.... not the point really... Harry and Ron and Hermione are always going to be closer than any come along lately.
As far as not going back to hogwarts, wouldn't surprise me if they didn't, they will be of age, and Fred and George do just fine no completing school and well the ministry doesn't really like Harry so his Auror opertunities are probably a dead pipe dream... Course... Hermione will probably still somehow do her tests... just cause she would have like a mental breakdown if she didn't, has to complete her N.E.W.T.S. Ron and Harry probably don't care either way though, they are at war you know...

fortuna_major
July 18th, 2005, 4:18 pm
she may not be as close to harry now as they were only going for a short while before harry called it off, but i do think they will get closer in the next book. ginny now will not give up on harry, she'll be there somehow. i can see them all in battle and it changing to full on love. i think it will give harry extra strengh to defeat V

Desraelda
July 18th, 2005, 4:25 pm
Ginny has already done her OWLS. She would be in 6th year in the next book.
I don't think so. Yes, she was in fifth year this time, and should have done her OWLS, but I don't think the OWL exams took place. The school was closed early and Harry said something about Ginny WOULD have taken her exams, not that she DID. Sorry, haven't read the book enough to find the quote. It was something like if everything had been different, Ginny would have taken her exams.

Lilly
July 18th, 2005, 4:26 pm
Hey,

I think that Harry, Ron and Hermione won't be able to go back to Hogwarts, becausee thay have to find the Horcuxes. Like someone said, you can't find them if you are in school all year. They might have to return maybe towards th end, but who knows. I think that it is important the Harry take his friends with him to find the horcuxes, because he will probably need them, just like Dumbldeore need him when getting the Horcurx.

lilly

fourmoreyears
July 18th, 2005, 4:28 pm
she may not be as close to harry now as they were only going for a short while before harry called it off, but i do think they will get closer in the next book. ginny now will not give up on harry, she'll be there somehow. i can see them all in battle and it changing to full on love. i think it will give harry extra strengh to defeat V

Completely agree! Ginny so obviously full on loves Harry and sure, maybe Harry doesn't love her YET, but I'm almost certain that he will come to realize how much she means to him and that he would absolutely die for her. Harry/Ginny will be completely pivotal in book 7.

fortuna_major
July 18th, 2005, 4:33 pm
yeah i got that, that Ginny hadnt taken her exams as the school got closed early and with students being withdrawn by their parents, and D's death. i dont think Any exams took place.

Completely agree! Ginny so obviously full on loves Harry and sure, maybe Harry doesn't love her YET, but I'm almost certain that he will come to realize how much she means to him and that he would absolutely die for her. Harry/Ginny will be completely pivotal in book 7.

Ginnys love for harry has been brewing for years, she's had time to think about it dwell on it and perhaps even have a little book saying Ginny potters wedding idea's as im sure most girls have those dreams and aspirations. Harry will come to realise how much he cares/loves for her. and as i said i think it will the undoing of V harrys never had that sort of love before, Cho was infatuation, and yes i agree he will udoubtably attempt to die to protect her, and thus leading back to my harry/V confrontation

Sebi
July 18th, 2005, 4:35 pm
Harry and Ginny were just lust in my eyes. Ginny may have felt some strong feelings for Harry at some point but Harry was just lusting for her I felt.

What of the possibility that all remaining Horcruxes are in Hogwarts?

Harry and Ginny were just lust in my eyes. Ginny may have felt some strong feelings for Harry at some point but Harry was just lusting for her I felt.

What of the possibility that all remaining Horcruxes are in Hogwarts? "Gringotts is the safest place for anything, cept perhaps hogwarts" quote Hagrid - Be wonderful to see a line from Book 1 echoing so powerfully in book 7.

bigplay13
July 18th, 2005, 4:36 pm
personally i thik that the group of neville harry ron ginny hermione and luna will all not be returning to haogwarts but will instead be forming their own "order of the pheonix" in order to help harry find the remaining horcruxes

jenidralph
July 18th, 2005, 4:40 pm
What I find really strange about the trio saying they won't return to Hogwarts is that JK has said 7 books = 7 years at Hogwarts. I wouldn't have thought that they can go a whole year without going to Hogwarts.

Yes, but in her interview with Katie Couric, JK stated that she pretty much set up what Harry's going to do in the 7th book with the ending of the 6th. She said we wouldn't have to guess too much.

I think they'll return to Hogwarts, but more for a necessary visit (DD's portrait).

I'm interested to see the Dursley's reaction when Harry shows up with Ron and Hermione.

fortuna_major
July 18th, 2005, 4:41 pm
not sure about forming their own order, but sticking with Dumblkedoors army, they arent accopmplished enough wizard to go *** alone, they need the OOTP for their connections and help

daz
July 18th, 2005, 4:41 pm
He has outgrown Hogwarts i agree and it means the last book takes a turn.

Mugglemomma
July 18th, 2005, 4:45 pm
Hey,

I think that Harry, Ron and Hermione won't be able to go back to Hogwarts, becausee thay have to find the Horcuxes. Like someone said, you can't find them if you are in school all year. They might have to return maybe towards th end, but who knows. I think that it is important the Harry take his friends with him to find the horcuxes, because he will probably need them, just like Dumbldeore need him when getting the Horcurx.

lilly

I agree with this, which I think, is also why there was such a big deal made about 17 being the age you turn adult. Harry, Ron, and Hermione are adults now, ready to face their final task together. I don't think they will be completey absent from Hogsworth, I'm sure they will have people like Ginny, Neville etc. on the inside for information.

You know the scene where Hermione and Ron pledge to stay with Harry made me a bit teary, reminded me of Sam standing next to Frodo and refusing to let him go alone to Mordor. I think the love these three have for each other is the best thing these books have to offer. I know Dumbledore was giving Harry permission to tell them all because he knew Harry would need them.

fortuna_major
July 18th, 2005, 4:47 pm
ok got totaly lost then it appears its been merged :S

Nymphadora*
July 18th, 2005, 4:48 pm
I really do hope that Harry returns to school. After all with what JK has been telling us about 7 years, 7 books, 7 years at Hogwarts should be true. I think he will go back, and Ron and Hermione will support either decision he goes with. I believe that he will go to the Dursley's, go to the Burrow for the wedding, and perhaps go to Godric's Hollow to visit his parents graves with Hermione and Ron and maybe someone like Lupin. After that, i think someone will shake some sense into him, or make him go back to Hogwarts. It's his final year, and shouldn't be wasted now. Besides, like everyone is saying, a Horcrux may lie in Hogwarts, so he should start looking there. and also because what is Harry Potter without Hogwarts?:)

fortuna_major
July 18th, 2005, 4:49 pm
i did also nottice a another LOTR connection the black lake with the dead people face up totaly made me think of LOTR and the dead marshes, i got very teary then to a well as a few other bit like when harry at the funeral said about being dubledoor man, that got me choked

the_cobbinato
July 18th, 2005, 4:56 pm
If he does go back, I'd think that he would be leaving the castle very frequently much like Dumbledore in HBP. My hope is that the D.A. is reunited, but with Hermione as the leader so that the school will not be completely defenseless against potential attacks. I also think that if Hogwarts continues to function, the students and teachers will need to have a much closer relationship. As Dumbledore said, Voldemort works by isolating everyone and attacking them when they are divided. By staying united, Hogwarts will continue.

fortuna_major
July 18th, 2005, 5:00 pm
thats what the sorting hat has been saying for a couple of years that the school need to stand united or it will fail, the MOM now needs to start weeding out known deatheaters kids from the school or what has just happend will happen again but on a larger more dangerous scale.

saberglow
July 18th, 2005, 5:10 pm
The idea of Harry not going back to school just doesn't fit. It's 7 books/7 school years.
But even if Harry is not going to go back, or if Hogwarts will close, then Harry has to finish 7th year in order to become an auror.. that beings us to 8 books ... agh :(

But I cannot imagine how Harry will find all the Horxcurses if he will be stuck in school. I do believe that one.. or more of them are IN school. I just don't know how Harry is going to figure everything out on his own with Dumbledore gone. I doubt McConaggal is going to help him..

but then..maybe Dumbledore's portait will ..

meesha1971
July 18th, 2005, 5:30 pm
I think the trio will return to Hogwarts and get their NEWTs. Someone will intervene with this decision - either a message from Dumbledore written before he died or Lupin or Mr. and Mrs. Weasley. I don't think the school will close but there may not be as many students there.

JKR said at some point that she thought book 7 would probably be the biggest because the will want to say goodbye. I think book 7 is going to be similar to GOF and OOTP. In both of those they didn't return to school until chapter 10 or 11. A lot of things happened before they went back to school. Also, in the past few books there has been a significant decrease in the amount of time Harry spends at the Dursleys. In OOTP, he was only there for 4 weeks and in HBP he was only there for 2 weeks. I think book 7 will probably start immediately where we left off either with the trio arriving at the Dursleys the same day as the funeral or with the trio at the Dursleys a few days later. I don't think there will be much a time lapse.

We will spend the entire summer with the trio - at the Dursleys, Ron and Harry getting their licenses to apparate, at Godric's Hollow, at the Burrow, Bill and Fleur's wedding, etc... Once Harry and Ron are able to apparate, it will be easier for the trio to search for the Horcruxes. I think the first thing they will do is find out who R.A.B. is and make sure that Horcrux was destroyed. Personally, I think it will turn out to be Regulus Black and it's possible that the locket referred to in OOTP when they are cleaning #12 Grimmauld Place is Slytherin's locket. But they will have to verify that it was destroyed and track it down and destroy it if it wasn't.

I think they will find Hufflepuff's cup and destroy it before school starts. That leaves the unknown Horcrux, Nagini, and the final battle with Voldemort. I think the unknown Horcrux will turn out to be an item that belonged to Rowena Ravenclaw and I think that it is hidden at Hogwarts in the Room of Requirements. JKR put a lot of detail in her description of that room when Harry was hiding the potions book. I think that will be significant. I think the unknown Horcrux was actually created around the time that the ring and diary were turned into Horcruxes. I think Voldemort had to hide it quickly and used the Room of Requirements. I think that is one of the reasons why he wanted to teach at Hogwarts. It could also be in the Chamber of Secrets but I think the Room of Requirement is more likely.

Now, this could also be the reason that they return to school. They could discover what item was used to create the Horcrux and find out that it is hidden at Hogwarts and return to school so they can search for it. Towards the end of the book, they will find it and destroy it. Then they will locate Nagini so they can destroy that Horcrux which will lead into the final battle with Voldemort because he keeps Nagini close to him.

tonks1
July 18th, 2005, 7:37 pm
Harry is following in the footsteps of the Weasley twins. One does not have to attend all seven years of school in order to leave Hogwarts. Harry's return to attend classes may be decided for him given the state of things (the school may close given the death of Dumbledore on the property).

I am of the mind that Harry will return to Hogwarts not to learn in classes, but rather to help complete the cronology of his parents' lives. Perhaps he will get a chance to sift through Dumbledore's pensive and get some memories of their lives while in school.

I am also interested in seeing if Ginny will return to school or if she will take up with Harry, Ron, and Hermione. I can't imagine, despite what Harry said to her at the funeral, that she would lag behind when the other two are willing to travel with Harry.

xxshermdawxx
July 18th, 2005, 9:43 pm
Unless Book 7 is going to be thousands upon thousands of pages long, I simply do not see how Harry will be able to return to Hogwarts as a student (we have surely not seen the last of Hogwarts, though).

Oh i do hope that Jo makes the book thousands of pages long :P!!!

zzzf
July 18th, 2005, 10:21 pm
I really can't tell who Harry feel closer to, Ginny or Ron/Hermiony.

The only difference is that Ginny is still underage. She can neither do magics outside Hogwars or apparate. So she can't help much on finding the Horncrxes. When is Ginny's birthday? I hope is September so she can starts to help as early as possible.

sylvergryffin
July 18th, 2005, 11:26 pm
Harry has stated that he won't be returning to Hogwarts next year but I am frankly not so sure. I would be rather surprised if they actually had school but I think that JKR spent too much time setting up Tom Riddle/Voldemort's attachment to Hogwarts. Hogwarts would be the most logical place for the final battle because it is the focus of the books (each of the books is even subtitled Hogwarts year one...two...etc. on the book list in the front of the book.)

As unlikely as it sounds that Voldemort would want to waste time sieging a boarding school Riddle's attachment and the indication that he is fascinated with the ancient magic at Hogwarts make me think he would like to make it his headquarters or at least show his dominance over it-- sort of like collecting yo-yos from bullied children except in this case he would be collecting Dumbledore's most precious possesion. Voldemort has spent an awfully long time trying to sneak in and plant his opperatives there over the years.

It is also possible that without the students to get in the way the Order or other anti-Voldemort forces could meet or live there.

So in conlusion, I believe that Harry will spend time searching the for the fragments of Voldemorts soul as well as the fragments of his own history but that Hogwarts will still play an important role.

T_Z
July 18th, 2005, 11:44 pm
I think he will in fact come back, and JK has slipped a couple clues that tells us he will, to say the least, to be in contact with the school. Also, with dumbledore dead, I think Voldemort will try to take over Hogwarts, meaning with that that the only place he would never put a foot on during the past is now his, and he can reach anywhere. Also, Harry HAS to keep in contact with people from hogwarts, at least with the members of the order, since I find it really hard to just make them dissappear from the books.

Aurora
July 19th, 2005, 12:13 am
What's wrong with Harry not returning to Hogwarts? I'm personally quite excited at the fact that he's going on this great adventure to finally rid the wizarding world of Voldemort. I think the 7th book is mostly for closure, and I'm not sure how that'll come about if Harry's wrapped up in his NEWTs, I mean, now that Dumbledore's gone, how's staying at Hogwarts going to help Harry discover these revelations? Harry's going to find answers himself, now that no one's around anymore to spell it out for him. I'm sure there'll still be people to steer him in the right direction, but with Sirius gone and Dumbledore gone, Harry's on his own.

There are only going to be seven books in the series. I think we ought to know a bit more about the magical world outside Hogwarts.

demiguiseguy
July 19th, 2005, 12:20 am
I hope he returns to Hogwarts because those were my favorite parts in the book. I also think he might return to Hogwarst to do further research on Horcruxes using the pensieve and other instruments found in Dumbledore's office. I just don't see how he could return without McGonagall trying to keep him there.

ginnystwin
July 19th, 2005, 12:24 am
i think the story wont be as fantasic if we just end up following harry on a series of adventures then have a final battle, i think its much more effective to have him in school. i think that part of the ending was a let down.
i dont think he will be parted from ginny for long either!

My thoughts on this incorporate Dumbledore showing Voldemort's visit to his office. I am sure Voldemort knew before he went that Dumbledore would never give him a post at hogwarts. I also find it interesting that the room of requirements has a room full of hidden objects and that it is on the same floor as the headmasters office. Considering Voldemorts obsession with the school and it's founders, wouldn't it be likely he hid a horcrux there? Why else would all the junk be shown in that room.

ixMattxi
July 19th, 2005, 2:58 am
Many people seem unfamiliar with cliff hangers. Harry WILL return to Hogwarts. Think Empire Strikes Back, Han Solo was frozen in carbonite...did he stay that way in Return of the Jedi? Of course not. JK is trying (and succeeding for my part anyhow) to leave us in suspense. I imagine Harry's return to school will happen soon enough. It will most likely serve as the early conflict within the book. I personally imagine R.A.B. will have something to do with Harry's return.

T_Z
July 19th, 2005, 2:59 am
I just don't see how he could return without McGonagall trying to keep him there.

Well, I dont think she will forbid him the entrance to the castle or anything like that, I think that, even when she probably is not aware of neither the true content of the prophesy nor the horcruxes, I think she still must sense that he is a fundamental piece on defeating voldy, and that he is also a worthwile piece for the order (Now that he is gonna come of age I think he will be allowed to become a formal member). McGonagall might not be as clever and smart or sensitive as Dumbledore, but she is no fool.

Phoenix05
July 19th, 2005, 3:29 am
He may return to Hogwarts on the condition that it's more part-time and he can leave when he needs to. This may require him to release SOME information to Minerva, but not specifics such as actually using the term or a description of Horcruxes or his plans. There are too many sub-plots left concerning Harry and Hogwarts for him not to return.

However, I strongly believe that Ginny, Neville and Luna will accompany the trio more in this last book on the trips out of Hogwarts. Obviously Harry will do much on his own (he's got that independent streak that means he doesn't want to put friends in danger), but his strongest point is his friends. Those six will probably practice, learn defencive and offensive spells (non-verbally), and maybe even occlumency together (mini-DA lessons). After all, how can Harry confront Voldemort or Snape if they know every spell he's going to cast before he does?

Besides those major characters, we're left wondering the position of headmaster, what help the portrait of Dumbledore will be, where Fawkes went to, the next DADA professor, what becomes of Slughorn (though it seems he will be head of Slytherin now), and obviously Voldemort will try to make a play for Hogwarts now that his greatest threat is not in control.

gryfindor07
July 19th, 2005, 7:41 am
I think that there will be a huge ordeal over whether Hogwarts will open or not. I think, in the end, that it will open back up though. There probably won't be near as many students making the trip on the Hogwarts Express, but nevertheless, some students will definitely return.

As for Harry, yes he stated that he won't be returning to Hogwarts on either condition. But, I think in the end he will make the trip back. I don't think this decision will go over to well with adults in the Order, such as Lupin, Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, Shacklebolt, etc. They will probably have a big argument, but Harry will probably go back under certain conditions. I imagine that there will be some leeway giving to Harry though. I think he may be given the priveleges to leave every so often, giving him the chance to go after the Horcruxes. They'll need Harry at the school, to help keep the students safe and in line and all.

Rustinpat
July 19th, 2005, 8:11 am
I think that Harry will return to Hogwarts but not as a full time student. He has too much else to do. But Hogwarts with or without DD is a grounding place for Harry. Plus there are so many resources available to him there.

MTMFan
July 19th, 2005, 8:39 am
I think Harry should continue his education, and that's probably what he'll end up doing. Dumbledore would want him to keep learning all he can. I imagine McGonagall would feel much the same way, too. I know Harry's progressed beyond the average DADA lesson at Hogwarts, but there must be some wizard who can be brought in from outside to teach Harry what he needs to learn.

Mad_madeye
July 19th, 2005, 9:04 am
I don't think Harry will return to Hogwarts as a student, but might come back for a little while in order to find one of the Horcruxes or to find info on them (remember, one of them was an object of either Gryffindor or Ravenclaw's; Harry will need info on the founders).

Also, I personally have a theory that Voldemort has done more experiments on himself besides the Horcruxes and that even if all the Horcruxes are destroyed a simple Avada Kedavra will not destroy the last piece of his soul still in his body. I believe Voldemort has also done alchemical experiments on himself and that he discovered them (and the spell necessary to actually create a Horcrux; remember, Slughorn didn't know that very important info) within the Chamber of Secrets - remember, Secrets is plural and I think ol' Salazar made that Chamber for more than housing a big snake. If my theory's correct, then another barrier to kill Voldemort must be removed, so we'll need to return to the Chamber of Secrets one more time.

Harry will also still need to become far more powerful than he is now. Though he is an exceptional student and, in power, already equal to people such as Lupin, he'll need to surpass even Dumbledore in a real short space of time in order to duel Voldemort and (he better watch out) Snape and beat them. But where to learn such powerful magic? Why, the Pensieve and the Sorting Hat, of course! The Pensieve contains so many of Dumbledore's memories, Harry's bound to find something useful in there. The Sorting Hat will definitely be able to give him some pointers aswell, he does have the brains of the founders, after all. Harry will probably study Occlumency again, non-verbal and wandless magic, for better dueling and to have some tricks for Voldy up his sleave. Advanced magic like that might require a powerful mentor (Occlumency he can study on his own - he knows the basics and might only need an assistent that can test Legilimency on him to see how good he's at blocking it) - Aberforth, perhaps?

The Order (specifically people such as Molly) will probably fuss a lot about Harry's decision (along with Ron and Hermy) not to return, saying that he needs to learn more. But Harry will probably make it plain about Voldemort and where they're standing: every single protector of Harry has fallen and Harry has realised that it is him that must confront Voldemort and that Quidditch, N.E.W.T.'s, dating and a good time at school are a little less important than stopping the greatest, most powerful and most horrible evil wizard ever. Just like it was far more important to stop Voldemort from getting the Philosopher's Stone, rather than winning the House Cup in PS/SS. As for using the school for protecting Harry - there is no safe haven for anyone now Voldemort's strength has returned to him, I think that the ending of HBP made that kinda clear.

I truly believe we'll only see the castle for a fraction of the book, with all of it's time spend on Harry, Ron and Hermione travelling around the world to find the Horcruxes.

meesha1971
July 19th, 2005, 9:35 am
I don't think Harry will return to Hogwarts as a student, but might come back for a little while in order to find one of the Horcruxes or to find info on them (remember, one of them was an object of either Gryffindor or Ravenclaw's; Harry will need info on the founders).

Also, I personally have a theory that Voldemort has done more experiments on himself besides the Horcruxes and that even if all the Horcruxes are destroyed a simple Avada Kedavra will not destroy the last piece of his soul still in his body. I believe Voldemort has also done alchemical experiments on himself and that he discovered them (and the spell necessary to actually create a Horcrux; remember, Slughorn didn't know that very important info) within the Chamber of Secrets - remember, Secrets is plural and I think ol' Salazar made that Chamber for more than housing a big snake. If my theory's correct, then another barrier to kill Voldemort must be removed, so we'll need to return to the Chamber of Secrets one more time.

Harry will also still need to become far more powerful than he is now. Though he is an exceptional student and, in power, already equal to people such as Lupin, he'll need to surpass even Dumbledore in a real short space of time in order to duel Voldemort and (he better watch out) Snape and beat them. But where to learn such powerful magic? Why, the Pensieve and the Sorting Hat, of course! The Pensieve contains so many of Dumbledore's memories, Harry's bound to find something useful in there. The Sorting Hat will definitely be able to give him some pointers aswell, he does have the brains of the founders, after all. Harry will probably study Occlumency again, non-verbal and wandless magic, for better dueling and to have some tricks for Voldy up his sleave. Advanced magic like that might require a powerful mentor (Occlumency he can study on his own - he knows the basics and might only need an assistent that can test Legilimency on him to see how good he's at blocking it) - Aberforth, perhaps?

The Order (specifically people such as Molly) will probably fuss a lot about Harry's decision (along with Ron and Hermy) not to return, saying that he needs to learn more. But Harry will probably make it plain about Voldemort and where they're standing: every single protector of Harry has fallen and Harry has realised that it is him that must confront Voldemort and that Quidditch, N.E.W.T.'s, dating and a good time at school are a little less important than stopping the greatest, most powerful and most horrible evil wizard ever. Just like it was far more important to stop Voldemort from getting the Philosopher's Stone, rather than winning the House Cup in PS/SS. As for using the school for protecting Harry - there is no safe haven for anyone now Voldemort's strength has returned to him, I think that the ending of HBP made that kinda clear.

I truly believe we'll only see the castle for a fraction of the book, with all of it's time spend on Harry, Ron and Hermione travelling around the world to find the Horcruxes.

I think they will definitely return as students and get their NEWTs. I can't see JKR showing them drop out as well. With Fred and George, they had their future planned and had basically already gone into business through mail order. They didn't need NEWTs to open a joke shop. I think JKR will have someone or something intervene with that decision and convince them to return to school. Right now, I think that Dumbledore wrote Harry a letter to be given to him in the event of his death that will encourage him to finish school. Dumbledore always did everything he could to keep the school open. Education was important to him.

You brought up some other good points as to why they should return to school. Improving his ability with wandless and non-verbal magic, not to mention there are probably important spells learned in the 7th year, particularly if he wants to become an auror when all this is over. But the biggest is Occlumency and maybe even Leglimency. If he wasn't able to even land a single spell against Snape, he doesn't stand a chance against Voldemort. Harry will have to learn Occlumency and Leglimency. I'm not sure exactly what the Sorting Hat could teach them but I like the idea about the pensieve. Dumbledore could have left memories behind that will instruct Harry on how to do Occlumency properly and maybe even Leglimency. He will still need an actual person to practice with but if Dumbledore's "lessons" through the pensieve are good enough, why not Ron and Hermione? They could go into the pensieve with him and they could all learn it and practice on each other.

I don't think that school and classes will be a big focus in the 7th book but I do believe they will return to school and get their NEWTs. They'll all be of age at this point and can use weekends or other free time to conduct their search for the Horcruxes but I believe they will verify the destruction of the locket and find Hufflepuff's cup before school starts. I think the remaining Horcrux (besides Nagini and Voldemort) is hidden at Hogwarts so returning to school would actually help them in finding that one.

White_Robe
July 19th, 2005, 11:36 am
H, H, & R will have to go back to Hogwarts to unravel mysteries and fight the baddies, but I don't think that they will be attending any classes. Schools out for them.

Militarized
July 19th, 2005, 11:39 am
I hope that Harry's going back to school for two resons.

1- Ginny. HBP has turned me into a H/G shipper. I just love how their personalities mix. Harry deserves to have something good in his life anyway. I'm definitely pulling for these two.

2- Harry away for Hogwarts would just feel unnatural, like a fanfiction story instead of Jo's real thing. He's always stayed there and I'm hoping we'll see more of it in the future. Although it will never be the same with Dumbledore gone. He had to be one of my favorite characters.

That is why I don't read fanfiction and have REFUSED since day 1 when I saw HP websites. I'll let the author do her work and tell the story how she's sees fit. It is her story anyway.

I think Harry MUST get away from Hogwarts though, I have seen numerous threads of "Harry isn't powerful" blah blah you get the idea. The simple reasoning behind that is because of all the drama and relationships and school **** that is going on during his time there. There is simply no time to learn or practice anything! Also, to the person who mentioned leaving the students as "drop outs". If the school is actually closed, I dont think it's considered dropping out. :)

Black Angel
July 19th, 2005, 11:41 am
I think Hogwarts will remain open for some reason (maybe Dumbledore will request it in his will or something), but I really can't see Harry returning there as a student. I think that others will (and Ron will even be the Quidditch captain because Harry won't be there anymore, just like the Mirror showed), but Harry will probably only visit every now and then. There are a lot of things that Harry still needs to do (finding all the Horcruxes, learn more magic, get better at Occlumency), so I just don't see how he'd be able to fit that into his NEWT's year, no way.

meesha1971
July 19th, 2005, 11:53 am
I think Hogwarts will remain open for some reason (maybe Dumbledore will request it in his will or something), but I really can't see Harry returning there as a student. I think that others will (and Ron will even be the Quidditch captain because Harry won't be there anymore, just like the Mirror showed), but Harry will probably only visit every now and then. There are a lot of things that Harry still needs to do (finding all the Horcruxes, learn more magic, get better at Occlumency), so I just don't see how he'd be able to fit that into his NEWT's year, no way.

Harry and Ron are only taking five NEWT classes. Transfiguration, Charms, Potions, DADA, and Herbology. They had quite a few free periods because they dropped four classes. Occlumency and Leglimency could be added to their schedule and still give them free periods. Returning to school is the best way for him to "learn more magic". I still like the idea of Dumbledore leaving Harry his pensieve and specific memories to help him learn Occlumency and Leglimency. They could take a couple of nights a week to study these memories and practice on each other.

Harry only has to locate 2 Horcruxes - well, technically 3 because I think they will verify that the locket was destroyed. The last one is Nagini and then he can fight Voldemort. I think they will verify the destruction of the locket and locate Hufflepuff's cup before they have to go back to school. They'll return to school and discover that the unknown Horcrux is hidden at Hogwarts. Somewhere near the end they will go after Nagini and Voldemort.

bridg2ette
July 19th, 2005, 4:02 pm
Harry and Ron are only taking five NEWT classes. Transfiguration, Charms, Potions, DADA, and Herbology. They had quite a few free periods because they dropped four classes. Occlumency and Leglimency could be added to their schedule and still give them free periods. Returning to school is the best way for him to "learn more magic". I still like the idea of Dumbledore leaving Harry his pensieve and specific memories to help him learn Occlumency and Leglimency. They could take a couple of nights a week to study these memories and practice on each other.

Harry only has to locate 2 Horcruxes - well, technically 3 because I think they will verify that the locket was destroyed. The last one is Nagini and then he can fight Voldemort. I think they will verify the destruction of the locket and locate Hufflepuff's cup before they have to go back to school. They'll return to school and discover that the unknown Horcrux is hidden at Hogwarts. Somewhere near the end they will go after Nagini and Voldemort.

Great theories. I think they sound definitely plausible. I'm only thinking back to the end of HBP though. Harry sounded pretty darn determined to go out on his own away from Hogwarts. I think it'll take outside intervention from someone else, maybe one of the Order members to convince Harry that the best thing he can do is go back and prepare while in school. However, with the evident support of Ron and Hermione for his plans, I don't see Harry budging much. We all know how stubborn and determined harry can be. Ah well, 2 years until we know for sure! :(

BangoSkank
July 19th, 2005, 4:06 pm
I think that Harry will do his best to not go, but something will call him back.

MamaJ
July 19th, 2005, 4:36 pm
I think that Hogwarts will indeed remain open and that Harry will return. As others have pointed out previously, there are supposed to be seven school years. I think that since Harry will be of age (as are Ron and Hermione already), they will use that to there advantage at school. The three of them will be able to do their research on the different Horcruxes at the Hogwarts library, and then possibly use Hogsmeade
weekends to apparate to find the Horcrux. Also, I think Dumbledore's photo in the headmaster's/mistress' office may be useful in the search for the remaining Horcruxes.

Anabell
July 19th, 2005, 5:06 pm
I really hope he goes back to Hogwarts, if the school is even open, because the book just won't be the same without Hogwarts. :(

Discordia
July 19th, 2005, 5:18 pm
The Board of Governors can't close the school. Well they could but.......they have two options really and either way its not good. One they let all the kdis stay home and wait to be picked off one by one by Voldemort and his Deatheaters or two, they just group all the kids in the school like sitting ducks. Atleast in school they'll be learning how to defend themselves and the school has more magical protection than there homes could.

I think that Dumbledore's death is going to band not only the wizarding community together but most importantly of all Hogwarts itsefl. Its about time the school started showing some unity. They are going to need it if they plan to defeat Voldemort and uphold the school. Dumbledore mentioned that Voldmeort has always underestimated the youth. Harry has escaped Voldemort a number of times, a group of 6 teenagers defeated some of Voldmeort's favorite DE's. I think its about time the Students at Hogwarts took a stand because this is their future they need to be fighting for. As Harry realized there are some things worth fighting and even dieing for and this is one of them.

missy_13
July 19th, 2005, 6:05 pm
You know what I think, Not that it'll ever happen, I think Jo should make Two more books. One for his 7th year, and obviously the other to finish the series... Otherwise this last book is going to be VERY long. Which in my opinion is a good thing!! I like long books, especially the passing one(HPB) that is the best book i the series, by far.
I hope he returns to Hogwarts by the way.

klhlambert
July 19th, 2005, 8:06 pm
I think Hogwarts will return in the seventh book. Harry and company never went to the Chambers and I don't remember much in the way of reference to them. The sixth years never finished their Newts... how will that look on their resumes?

I don't know that Harry and company will return to Hogwarts or remain there if they do go... I need to re-read HBP to form an opinion. I don't think we are done with Hogwarts yet. Snape... Chambers... Godric's sward... the Sorting hat... Myrtle.. the list goes on for unanswered questions. I must admit though... I didn't know you could 'fool' a ghost.

Phoenix05
July 20th, 2005, 2:19 am
JKR left too many unanswered questions regarding Hogwarts for them not to return. And I'm not talking about things they can look up in books, she left holes with characters/things at the school (new DADA professor, Slughorn, Dumbledore's replacement, Head of Gryffindor, the Chamber, Room of Requirement, Hagrid and Grawp, Buckbeak (why bring him back and show him if we only see him in letters in the next book), dealing with the aftermath, Myrtle, the portrait...and so on)

exiguusmus
July 20th, 2005, 3:14 am
I suspect that Harry, Ron and Hermione won't return to Hogwarts as pupils for the following school year, but they will return at some point during the year (maybe in the hunt for further horcruxes, or to meet members of the Order stationed there). I think that JK said in her interview with Time that book 7 will be a very different kind of book, and that we should have a very good idea of what Harry will be up to in it. This implies to me that he won't be returning to Hogwarts on 1 September, and that we won't see the usual school year.

As for whether Ravenclaw can 'have their day' if Harry doesn't return to school, personally I think that this comment relates to a horcrux rather than anything school-related. But that's for another thread...

clairebear21
July 20th, 2005, 3:31 am
Depending on if the school govenors let Hogwarts reopen i think Harry will return
But i doubt his concerns will be with his education.
I mean its HIS Home ...............to Harry at least and has many resources that could prove useful.
I actually believe that if Dumbledore has a will and that it is found at some point during book 7 that it will hold more information that could help harry.
cos i Dont believe for one minute that Harry will alone at all during book 7 by his choice or not.
The Weasleys, Hermione, and Hagrid will stand by him no matter what.

Erastus
July 20th, 2005, 3:32 am
Although he fully intends not to return, I think that something will happen or they will learn something over the summer that prompts them to go back and work from there. I also think that if all three of them (at least the three of them, if not Ginny, Neville, etc) don't plan on going back, they're going to have to do some explaining to Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, Lupin, et al. about what they're going to do and why. Whether they've come of age or not, the current adults are going to want some explanation, and they're probably not going to be satisfied with "I can't tell you." If they were worried about the kids and wanted an explanation, they'd stop them in their tracks until they got it (hope that argument doesn't ruin the wedding....)

Some (but not all) of the possible reasons for going back:
*School resources and protective magic make for a more ideal home base and cover, availability of OotP members at the school.
*A suggestion that there is a horcrux hidden at or near the school.
*Permission granted to come and go as necessary (perhaps in addition to the first point)
*The need to continue learning to be able to complete their tasks.

I just can't see J.K.R. having the most popular children's book series of all time end with three dropouts for the main characters, after two of the more prominent characters have already dropped out of school (albeit with a business plan.) I don't think that's a message she wants to send, and a lot of the other ideas she puts forward in the books seem well calculated to make a point or pass something along to the readers (secondary to the story itself, but it's there.)

Alhanalasa
July 20th, 2005, 3:35 am
This is probably a silly reason, but on the "Also by J.K. Rowling page", under all the titles are "Year ___ at Hogwarts". If Harry doesn't go back, what would the blurb be? "Year Seven, everywhere but Hogwarts?" It just doesn't make sense. This is a boarding school series. He's got to go to school, for at least part of it. Maybe he'll "pull a Weasley", but Hogwarts will be open, and so Harry will go.

ginnylove
July 20th, 2005, 3:38 am
Harry can't stand waiting and not doing anything. He has his mind made up and from what we know about him he can be prretty stubborn. He already planned on going to Godricks Hollow so I',m pretty sure thats that. And Jo said she was giving us a pretty good idea of harry would do next in HBP. I also have a hunch that hogwarts will not be opened next year or atleast be postponed because i just can't imagine Mrs weasley allowing Ron to leave if school was in session. Also I think book 7 will be more of a full blown war which will make it even harder for Hogwarts to stay open.

betSytrOtwOod
July 20th, 2005, 3:42 am
I will be SO sad if Harry doesn't go back to school because I LOVE Hogwarts!! He seemed to make it pretty clear at the end of HBP that he won't be returning and I understand why he wouldn't. He knows what he has to do and it's very important and he can't really be worrying too much about Herbology homework or anything like that when his life depends on finding those horcruxes. I'm wondering if Mrs. Weasley will let Ron leave bis last year of school to help Harry. I cried when Harry said he wanted to go back to Godric's Hollow where everything started. That should be a very moving park of Book 7 and I can no wait....but then again I can. I can't believe it's almost over! :upset:!

Erastus
July 20th, 2005, 3:48 am
It would be an interesting twist if they went back to Hogwart's, but didn't go back to school, using it as sort of a home base for the OotP while its closed and also a training academy for those few kids that they know they're not going to be able to keep from the fight - Ron, Hermione, Ginny, Neville, Harry, perhaps Luna - so that they are prepared for what they have to do. A crash course, advanced training.... This could be the way they convince the others to accept they're not going back to school, by accepting some more intensive tutoring and training from the others.

That's about the only way that I can see them not going back to school, is if Hogwart's is closed, and they go back there for some other reason.

Phoenix05
July 20th, 2005, 3:51 am
Although he fully intends not to return, I think that something will happen or they will learn something over the summer that prompts them to go back and work from there. I also think that if all three of them (at least the three of them, if not Ginny, Neville, etc) don't plan on going back, they're going to have to do some explaining to Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, Lupin, et al. about what they're going to do and why. Whether they've come of age or not, the current adults are going to want some explanation, and they're probably not going to be satisfied with "I can't tell you." If they were worried about the kids and wanted an explanation, they'd stop them in their tracks until they got it (hope that argument doesn't ruin the wedding....)

Some (but not all) of the possible reasons for going back:
*School resources and protective magic make for a more ideal home base and cover, availability of OotP members at the school.
*A suggestion that there is a horcrux hidden at or near the school.
*Permission granted to come and go as necessary (perhaps in addition to the first point)
*The need to continue learning to be able to complete their tasks.

I just can't see J.K.R. having the most popular children's book series of all time end with three dropouts for the main characters, after two of the more prominent characters have already dropped out of school (albeit with a business plan.) I don't think that's a message she wants to send, and a lot of the other ideas she puts forward in the books seem well calculated to make a point or pass something along to the readers (secondary to the story itself, but it's there.)

I agree, but I think Harry will simply realize (maybe through the Weasley's or some attack) that he needs the resources at Hogwarts too much to not return. Dumbledore's Pensieve and his portrait could be invaluable resources, and does no one else see the potential significance of the Room of Requirement? ANY book or resource Harry could possibly need would be in there. Even if Harry negotiates a deal to return part time (which he probably will), he'll go back. He just needs the experience and the teaching, among other things.

hermioneblue
July 20th, 2005, 3:53 am
It would be an interesting twist if they went back to Hogwart's, but didn't go back to school, using it as sort of a home base for the OotP while its closed and also a training academy for those few kids that they know they're not going to be able to keep from the fight - Ron, Hermione, Ginny, Neville, Harry, perhaps Luna - so that they are prepared for what they have to do. A crash course, advanced training.... This could be the way they convince the others to accept they're not going back to school, by accepting some more intensive tutoring and training from the others.

That's about the only way that I can see them not going back to school, is if Hogwart's is closed, and they go back there for some other reason.

that would be cool, i like that idea

i think it would be cool, if harry came back to the school and everyone things he is there as a student, but he really is try to find the hoxces (sp) and only ron, hermione and ginny knows what he is really up too.

OniBushi
July 20th, 2005, 4:36 am
My feel to this is that if he doesn't go back to hogwart half the plot of the series is taken away.

The_5th_Marauder
July 20th, 2005, 4:45 am
I think the base question in this argument is "Will the school be opened?"

As we've seen by the way the teachers responded, they are more than willing to teach (even if only one student were to attend). I'll be honest and I am going to say I thought that Harry would say something like "I'll be here" at that point in time. However, his devout resolution to hunt down the Horcruxes seems to have overtaken him. We also know that many students have started to be pulled out even before Dumbledore's funeral. Not to mention we do not know what the governors will chose to do (They were ready to shut down the school in CoS and no one had even died).

Assuming the school does stay open, however:

Harry has already promised to attend Bill and Fleur's wedding. Unless she is killed (knock on wood), Molly Weasley is sure to be there. I firmly believe that she will put Harry in an unbreakable cage and torture him until he agrees to return to Hogwarts.

It is true that Harry will be "of age" and able to do whatever he wants really. He could probably apparate away, I doubt weather Voldemort will be as secretive now that Dumbledore is dead so the Ministry will be swamped with work.

In conclusion I do believe that he will return to Hogwarts, even if it is only to consult Dumbledore's portrait or his pensieve. Who knows, in his flight Snape probably left his own pensieve there; perhaps Harry will look in that for clues to certain things (Snape must know where at least one of the Horcruxes is).

Simulated86
July 20th, 2005, 5:59 am
I don't think that Harry will go back to Hogwarts. I don't think that he will tell Lupin, Mr. and Mrs. Weasley his plans and therefore they will not be able to change his mind.

I think that hogwarts will re-open. However, I think that at sometime during the 7th book Voldemort will take over the school. In SS Hagrid said (page 55 U.S.) that Voldemort "Did dare try takin' over the school" while Dumbledore was there. Also, HBP showed Voldemort applying for a job as a teacher twice. Dumbledore said (don't remember what page) that Voldemort wanted to shape young minds like Slughorn did. :scared: :scared: :scared:

:rave:

FredtheMan
July 20th, 2005, 6:18 am
I think the order and the Weasleys will try to convince all of them to stay at Hogwarts. Ginny will be forced to by her parents because she is not of age. I don't think Harry will return as a student, but I think that the Great Hall at Hogwarts would be a great setting for the final battle between Voldemort and the Death Eaters,some Dementors, maybe a couple of Giants and inferi against Harry, the Order, the Ministry Aurors and maybe the united Hogwarts student body. Ron/Hermione, while I know they said they will be with Harry, I really think this is Harry's journey to take alone and they would be better serviced to stay Hogwarts and learn as much as they can, so when the final battle comes, they will be better prepared to assist Harry. If they go with Harry and skip their final year, I think they will be another distraction(like Ginny would be) that Harry does not need right now.

bethp
July 20th, 2005, 7:46 am
I agree with what someone above said Voldemort will try and take the school, I think this is a good reason why Harry will want to go back because he wants to make sure Voldemort doesn't get control. Let's face it if Harry goes back to Hogwarts, there will be extra precautions taken. I think that book 7 may surprise us where it starts, I have a feeling its nearly where we left off in Books 6 - I think there is a reason we didn't see them getting on the train and getting home and that's something happens very soon after the funeral.

DD said Voldemort felt that Hogwarts was his "home" and that he wanted to be close to it to gain knowledge of the secret magics that the school contains...that he wanted to shape young minds...now Harry knows this to, and I am sure it will come into play. I mean if the ministry was afraid of DD forming his own army of students just think what LV would do!!

My guess is early on there is a reason Harry goes back...either because of LV or possibly something left by DD who foreshadowed (or even planned) his own death...whether its memory extractions, a letter, or something else I think Harry will have to go back even if not for the whole book.

MuggleBorn-Witch
July 20th, 2005, 8:03 am
I think Hogwarts will open in book 7, its like what they always say about danger being anywhere wether its hogwarts or outside and the harry potter books are always refered to as 1st year in hogwarts, 2nd year in hogwarts etc..... so it could be 7th year at hogwarts. About harry going back to hogwarts, im not sure about that coz in jkr's chat she said [quote]" when people have finished reading this book, they will really know what to expect in book 7 and i think i give very clear pointers as to what harry will do next" [quote] Maybe she what she mean with that is either harry will not return to hogwarts to find the rest of the hocrux or he would return to hogwarts but his priorities are the hocruxes. we could only guess.

Alhanalasa
July 20th, 2005, 1:47 pm
If Voldemort wanted to be at Hogwarts to research Horcruxes, it only makes sense for Harry to use the resources at the school to find out how to destroy them. Also, as others have mentioned, being at the school seems like a great way to find out what "something" Gryffindor or Ravenclaw may have been around for Tom to use.

Now, I think it would be very exciting to see Harry go on a tour of the wizarding world to find all the Horcruxes (anyone else think there may be one in Albania?), but he's got to spend some part of his time at Hogwarts. As little as we saw of classwork in HBP, I think we'll see even less in book 7 - Harry probably won't be taking any classes. It seems odd to think of it, but JKR said in the Time article that Harry has clearly pointed out what he's going to do in book 7.

Kver
July 20th, 2005, 2:19 pm
Well, maybe there's a better chance of Hogwarts reopening if Harry agress to go back to school - since everone believes he is the Chosen One and would feel safer leaving their children near him? He could become Head Boy - with the privilege of disappearing occasionally to find the horcruxes.

Durandal
July 20th, 2005, 2:33 pm
Dumbledore said that, although Voldemort's soul is ravaged, his brain and body (and magical skill) are completely intact, and it will take a wizard of uncommon skill to defeat him.

So, I think Harry will still go to school, but he, Ron, and Hermione will miss large chunks of time due to their trips. Not as much as Dumbledore, but enough so that they'll have to ask for extensions on their assignments, and some time off to plan things. There's no way Hermione will brush off school for this mission (this is the girl who pored over her textbooks before setting out to find the Philosopher's Stone, in case there was something there that could help.)

dr_hermione
July 20th, 2005, 4:54 pm
I just didn't think that Harry can find all the different horcruxes AND go to school. But what if the horcruxes ARE at the school. Then the trio can spend time looking for them and destroying them.

DogStarBlack
July 20th, 2005, 5:05 pm
I definitely think that Harry will go to Hogwarts at some point. He may no longer take lessons there, but I still think that he will return (especially since Dumbledore has a portrait there...). I find it interesting that for the U.S. edition of the first 6 books, it says the year number (ex: HBP says Year 6)...This leads me to believe that Harry may actually return to Hogwarts, because I don't think that J.K. would've allowed them to put the Hogwarts year on the books if they weren't going back for the 7th year...
~DogStarBlack :)

TheWizardOfWA
July 20th, 2005, 5:35 pm
One of the thing that I missed in the HBP (although I liked it very much) was hearing more about the school and the classes. Reading HBP you could barely tell that they were even in school, classes were only rarely mentioned. I always enjoyed the fact that the trio had to save the word and still get back to school in time for their exams.

So I'm hoping for Hogwarts to be open for a 7th year and for Harry and the gang to get back there one way or another. Perhaps one (or more) of LVs hidden souls are still located at the school?