Ron and Hermione at Privet Drive

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

MadMagic
July 18th, 2005, 2:33 am
"We'll be there, Harry," said Ron.
"What?"
"At your aunt and uncle's house." said Ron. "And then we'll go with you wherever you're going."
The prospect of Ron and Hermione attempting to stay with the Dursleys in book 7 filled me with glee! Both Hermione and Ron will be of age and therefore able to do magic next summer. I can't wait to see Vernon's reaction when Harry tries to bring home two of age wizards.
Any thoughts as to how Ron and Hermione will manage to convince the Dursley's to take them in and what will be going on for the few weeks of protection Harry has left at Privet Drive?

Weatherby
July 18th, 2005, 2:36 am
They could try and pretend to be Muggles. Hermione could manage it but the Dursleys have met Ron's family and might remember him.
The memory of tongue-ton toffees will ensure Ron a clear path.

MadMagic
July 18th, 2005, 2:40 am
They could pretend to be muggles, but then how would Harry explain where and how he acquired muggle friends? I would imagine a bit of magic from Ron and/or Hermione could be quite convincing.

For some reason I absolutly love thinking about how begrudgingly the Durlsey's would be about feeding 2 of Harry's friends for any length of time. It could turn out to be the worst few weeks of Dudley's life.

Weatherby
July 18th, 2005, 2:46 am
I wonder if Harry will be tempted to use magic on Dudley when he turns of age.
Ron might not because of what his father would say.

natemac
July 18th, 2005, 2:48 am
Yeah, if all of them went to Privet Drive, I can see them provoking Dudley and his parents. Since Ron and Hermione are of age, they will likely have some fun for once...

And honestly, I can't see Harry restraining from using magic. Given the circumstances, why would anyone care if he used magic untill his 17th Birthday. Of all people, he should be able to. And I think they should let everyone be able to use magic, simply to help defend themselves.

-Nate

Abraxa
July 18th, 2005, 3:31 am
They could camp out in the begonias. ;) But isn't Harry just going to go there for a day-- a full 24 hours, I presume-- before going to Gordic's Hollow and to search for the Holocruxses?

On the other hand, I wonder if they'll need to get rides from the parents or if the Dursleys will be willing to bring them home? Hermione and Ron could threaten with magic... and if Harry's only going to be at the D's for a day, they woudn't have much time to go home, etc. then go to the Dursley's with Harry. On the other hand, maybe Hermione's parents could take both her and Ron and follow Harry, since Molly has to take Ginny home...

Whatever happens, I'm looking forward to it. ;) I'm sure there will be plenty of comic relief with the wizards and Dusleys... well, I sincerely hope.

Dark Fallen Pride
July 18th, 2005, 3:46 am
I can't wait to read that part! I think it will be so much fun...

Fuchsia
July 18th, 2005, 3:49 am
Dudley will have to have Piers Polkiss stay to even it out.

Abraxa
July 18th, 2005, 4:14 am
I'm sure Dudley counts for three people, physically and eating-ly. :) Piers Polkiss would make it unfair to Harry, who only gets who friends and himself, all of average (or nearly below) weight... bwa.

Maybe Hermione and Ron will actually have to resort to threatening the Dursleys, or use Harry's invisibility cloak to get from the Granger's car into the house, and then Harry could sneak food.

Pharazon
July 18th, 2005, 4:22 am
I'm also full with excitement for that. Ron and Hermione are of age and Harry can threaten the Dursleys with them while he stays there. :D The fun they'll have! COUNTDOWN TO BOOK 7! Give us a date, Jo, please do. :drool:

Fuchsia
July 18th, 2005, 4:25 am
I can't help but think Hermione will ask the questions from the Dursleys that Harry has always been too afraid to ask.

JofpGallagher
July 18th, 2005, 4:39 am
I think Duddy may even fall in love with Hermione...Oho!!! Can you imagine? that would definitely add a very funny note to start the book :p I can't imagine Ron's reactions to that.

hopefulgirl86
July 18th, 2005, 5:04 am
I don't think that Harry will finally attack Dudley or his aunt and uncle. Magic can still be detected in a muggle home and I don't think Harry wants to be caught hexing muggles. He would probably have to go to another hearing just like Odgen was trying to say that Morfin needed to go to a hearing for hexing a muggle. Maybe he could be punished worse for it because of the war and all the muggle killings.
Harry could use the usual threat of hexing Dudley but I can't see him actually doing it. I just want to see the look on Vernon's face when Harry shows up with Ron and Hermione. I burst out laughing when Vernon yelled: "What the hell is that?' (Or something like that) when Kreacher came.

acciobrain54
July 18th, 2005, 5:12 am
I imagine that would be quite comical. Ron's first tv and all the other muggle things. I also agree with Fuchsia, I think Hermionie will be the one to ask the questions. We still have a lot to find out about the past!

GinnyFan23
July 18th, 2005, 5:19 am
Actually from what was said in HBP if there are of age wizards in a house they can not prove that magic was not done by them. So if Ron and Hermione are with Harry the ministry will not be able to prove Harry did any magic since the two of them will be allowed to anyways. Just a thought

acciobrain54
July 18th, 2005, 5:22 am
But what about doing magic in front of muggles? But of course the ministry has much more important things to worry about.

Abraxa
July 18th, 2005, 5:32 am
Well, Hermione will be allowed to do magic in front of her parents, and they're Muggles... why shouldn't the Dusleys be exposed to magic by Harry? Dumbledore, after all, already did and he didn't have owls swooping down on him! ;)

But what would Hermione need to ask? (Yes, I am tired, I am not thinking very well at the moment.)

acciobrain54
July 18th, 2005, 5:39 am
About the owls that Dumbledore sent. Duddley's worst memory...things like that. Mostly things about Harry's past.

EuphoRowan
July 18th, 2005, 5:40 am
What would Hermione want to ask? Anything and everything about Lily. Hermione is a voracious knowledge-niffler, as it were, much to the trio's benefit.

strwznbrry
July 18th, 2005, 5:44 am
Never thought of this. Should be pretty interesting. They may learn a lot from Petunia about Lily. I wonder if they will mention they are going to Lily's old house. Petunia may want to come or something.

PadfootRocks
July 18th, 2005, 5:54 am
I hadn't even thought about Hermione and Ron at Privet Drive....That ought to be good huh? I'm sure the Ministry won't do anything about them doing magic in front of muggles since Harry's lived with them so long, plus Hermione and Ron are of age....it should be pretty interesting though...

GinnyFan23
July 18th, 2005, 5:59 am
I dont think the issue was ever doing magic in front of the dursleys, but UNDERAGE magic. The dursleys are well aware of the wizarding world

Trisha
July 18th, 2005, 7:54 am
Not any more than the Dursleys can help!
I thought Harry had to stay for two weeks. (HBP is being read by my oldest daughter, and as my youngest and I have finished by sneaking it out of her room while she slept, I said should could take her time with it.)
Why couldn't Hermione stay with Mrs. Figg? Maybe Ron can camp out in Harry's room under the Invisibility Cloak and jinx Dudley with a new tail. All in good fun, mind.

REDMONSTER85
July 18th, 2005, 9:54 am
i think that Ginny will be comeing alond also. mybye not to stay the whole time he is there but to vist. i alsao think hary will be staying a week or two bcause that is how long he stayed this year and that will also give him a two week period of protection once he leave there.

Rona dn Hermione will ahve to use magic to get the Dursleys to let them stay. i cant wait to see what speels Hermione will use on them since she knows how much pain Harry has been though because of them.

Guardian Angel
July 18th, 2005, 10:19 am
That part thrilled me! I was so happy to read it (wow - Ron and Hermione? With Harry? At the Privet Drive? Bugging the hell out of the Dursleys? Yay!), so I kept reading it and reading it... and crying, I might add. So emotional, I don't think I'll manage to stay... yeah, I knew it. I'm crying again. *crybaby*

But what if the Dursleys try to kick them out? :wow: They probably won't be able to, though. They'll be scared of their wands, I am sure. :lol:

ArtemisiaDax
July 18th, 2005, 5:35 pm
Well, Hermione would know how to act in a Muggle household. It would be Ron that would be really funny ("oh, look, a fellytone..."). Plus, how do you think the Dursleys are going to react when one of the people who once destroyed half their living room comes to visit?

The only things I'm trying to work out are that we're supposed to find out what Dudley saw when he looked at the dementors and more about Aunt Petunia, what she knows and how she knows it, and I'm trying to tie this in with a very short (24-hour, maybe?) stay at Privet Drive involving Ron and Hermione. Actually, the Invisibility Cloak would be a very good idea - Harry could try to sneak them in underneath it, as long as they brought some extra food with them.

dr_hermione
July 18th, 2005, 5:48 pm
Dudley/Hermione--Ugh

Just think, they can use magic but Harry cannot. Does anyone else think that Petunia is the one that will become magical late in life? I used to think it would be to protect Harry. Now maybe it will be to jinx Ron and Hermione for messing up her sitting room.

You-Know-Who
July 18th, 2005, 5:57 pm
Uhm I don't think they will be able to do magic don't forget detecting magic is highly unreliable as pointed out earlier in the book (and in book 2)

So lets say either Ron or Hermione uses magic while Harry is still 16 then Harry will be the one to blame because the Ministry doesn't know Ron and Hermione are there.

Which is interesting btw because that means that Harry, Ron and Hermione could have used magic at the Burrow, Diagon Alley etc. for the past few books :)

Silentone
July 18th, 2005, 6:11 pm
I don't think the dursleys have much say in the matter.. the fact is Hermione can apparate in whenever she has a whim to do so... Ron is of age to so he can use magic at will.. the result is the dursleys dont have much say in whether or not the two stay... Of course they might just accept since Harry will be gone for good after a week or so. I'm think hes gone after he learns to apparate.. just a thought.

VeelaGirl
July 18th, 2005, 7:02 pm
The trio at the burrow? After this last book I don't see how his friends are going to help him in any way. Dudley will drool over Hermione, Ron will react like a prat, Hermione will flirt with Dudders (ew!) to make Ron jealous and Harry will accumulate a pile of twice daily psychotic letters by owl from Ginny that go on and on about what their children will look like complete with names and pictures. Very productive indeed.

JMR
July 18th, 2005, 7:48 pm
The trio at the burrow? After this last book I don't see how his friends are going to help him in any way. Dudley will drool over Hermione, Ron will react like a prat, Hermione will flirt with Dudders (ew!) to make Ron jealous and Harry will accumulate a pile of twice daily psychotic letters by owl from Ginny that go on and on about what their children will look like complete with names and pictures. Very productive indeed.

What???? Surely you jest, right??? Ginny seems rather down to earth to me.

I hope that their presence will (somehow) inspire some new revelations from Petunia. If Hermione is similar to Lily (not sure she is but many theorize that she is) - that would inspire some animosity from Petunia. There's a lot more we're supposed to know about Lily's family and past.

meesha1971
July 18th, 2005, 8:35 pm
Ahhh - the trio at the Dursleys. Let the fun commence! I think it will be hilarious. Prior to HBP we were speculating on what would happen when Harry comes of age and what he would do at the Dursleys and now we find out that Ron and Hermione are going with him and they are of age!

The ministry can detect when magic is used but not who used it. The Dursleys are already aware of the wizarding world so I think as long as they keep everything in the house, nothing would be said about them doing magic.

I can see it now.

Hermione: Let me help you with the dishes, Mrs. Dursley.
Petunia: Er...all right...
Hermione: Scourgify!

I don't think they would do anything TO the Dursleys but they might have a bit of fun with them since they know they abhor anything magical. Maybe Hermione could apparate around the house - just appear out of nowhere next to Petunia offering to help. And Ron could follow Vernon around annoying him with questions about muggle things like the "eclectic" fire. :rotfl:

house elf 13
July 18th, 2005, 8:47 pm
Lovely thread!

If there are magical threats in the neighborhood (e.g., more dementors), the Dursleys might manage to overcome their aversion to magic at least enough to let the trio protect them. I do think that at least Petunia and Dudley will confide in Hermione, though she might understand Vernon's work better than he does and provoke a conflict. I also thought that Ron and Hermione might stay with Mrs Figg.

If there's a big revelation to be had from Petunia, we might hear it when Harry tells her that Dumbledore has died. Imagine how the story could go if, at this news, and much to Harry's surprise, Petunia began to cry.

Herminone/Dudley: Yucchhh! (though perhaps more palatable than Ron and Lavender, which I found hard to stomach).

Kimagine
July 18th, 2005, 10:02 pm
Just because Ron and Hermione say they will be there does not mean that they will be there. There is no way that the Dursleys would consent to it. Their only obligation is to house Harry there until his birthday. Given that, I speculate that Ron and Hermione will only be there to take Harry to the Burrow for the wedding. From there, however, I can see them accompanying him on his next adventures.

potterfreak
July 18th, 2005, 11:18 pm
Yeah ron will bring a little bit of comic into the 7th book being at the private drive with THE anti-whizards vernon and dudley but I think it's somehow important because I'm afraid it will be the only funny aspect of the whole book.
Oh my dear, I get emotional again! ;-))

SharksRNm1
July 19th, 2005, 7:33 am
I don't think there is any chance of the Dursley's letting Ron and Hermione come to stay with Harry. Also, I'm wondering where the two of them would stay ... wouldn't Harry's room be a tad crampt for three 16/17 year olds? Or would the Dursley's be more accomadating now because the Muggle world is being effected by the magic world in such horrible ways? One more question: do you think Mrs. Weasley would let the three of them stay there by themselves and do you think that there will be Order members staking out the place as a guard?

Rustinpat
July 19th, 2005, 8:00 am
I don't think that Harry has to stay there very long. So if Hermione and Ron do come with, the Dursley's won't like it but they won't have much choice in the matter. Also, if Harry explains about DD and what is really going on maybe Petunia will want harry to stick around and help to protect them. Of course Vernon will try to throw the trio out. Dudley will just sit there dumbfounded as usual. I think this is when Harry will learn more about his parents and of course more about Petunia.

meesha1971
July 19th, 2005, 10:26 am
I think that Harry will be able to convince the Dursleys to let Ron and Hermione stay. For one, they are both of age and can legally do magic. He could have Hermione put a jinx on them. I've got it - she could confund them! :rotfl:

Dumbledore's visit might have put them off refusing Harry. He was not happy with them. ;)

I don't think Harry will stay at the Dursleys very long - just long enough to "recharge" his protection and then he will leave.

HurricaneGirl
July 19th, 2005, 5:30 pm
Did anyone notice that in the last chapter, Harry recounts a list of his, now deceased, protectors, telling himself that he has no one else out there with the power to stand between harm and himself, yet he doesn't list Petunia at all. He seems to have forgotten about the protection the she affords him at Privet drive until he is of age. He is not alone yet and I believe this will play a bigger role than we all expect.

If nothing else, Harry needs to come to some sort of an understanding with his Aunt, so, if she happens to become a casualty of this war, he won't be plagued by an excess amount of regret. I mean, yes the Dursleys have been HORRIBLE to Harry, but, lets face it, he hasn't exactly been an angel to them either.

I hope somebody in that house talks...

Kidney Pie
July 19th, 2005, 5:36 pm
That would be Hilarious! I almost forgot.

Harry: Hi Aunt Petunia, Uncle Vernon and Dudley. Meet a few of my friends who are going to be joining me this summer.

Aunt Petunia: Wha- Your- Joining?

Vernon: Over my dead body!

Harry: That can be arranged if you like.

LindseyH11387
July 19th, 2005, 7:18 pm
Hopefully JKR will add a scene or two of Harry and Hermione trying to explain to Ron how to do things in the Muggle world. For instance how to turn on a TV or why the pictures don't move. I'm sure Mr. Weasley would love it if Ron went with Harry. He could come back and explain things to him!!!

It would most likely be logical if the Granger's brought the trio to Privet Drive. Hermione will have to go home for a t least a few days or something. This girl sees her parents for 2 weeks a year.

betSytrOtwOod
July 20th, 2005, 4:34 am
HAHAHA I can see it now. The Dursley's don't like the fact of having just one wizard in the house...could you see there being three of them? Ron would be so funny in the Dursley house because he is a pureblood and he's so used to magic and has hardly any idea what muggle things are. By the summer Ron & Harry will be of age so they can do magic outside of school right? Haha should be funny.

AnitaPotter
July 20th, 2005, 4:53 am
"We'll be there, Harry," said Ron.
"What?"
"At your aunt and uncle's house." said Ron. "And then we'll go with you wherever you're going."
The prospect of Ron and Hermione attempting to stay with the Dursleys in book 7 filled me with glee! Both Hermione and Ron will be of age and therefore able to do magic next summer. I can't wait to see Vernon's reaction when Harry tries to bring home two of age wizards.
Any thoughts as to how Ron and Hermione will manage to convince the Dursley's to take them in and what will be going on for the few weeks of protection Harry has left at Privet Drive?

Is it possible that they'll together figure out whom Petunia overheard in the conversation about Dementors in that summer?

FredtheMan
July 20th, 2005, 6:04 am
Is Privet Drive the safest place for Ron/Hermione to go? Remember the protection charm that covers the Dursleys only protects Harry, Ron and Hermione would be open for attack if they stay there. You know that the Weasleys, the Grangers and the Order may try to discourage Ron/Hermione from going back to Privet Drive with Harry. With Dumbledore's "death", Voldemort and the DE will be work frequent with their attacks, which will put the trio in danger wherever they stay, if they don't have enough members of the order there acting as protection. If I was Voldemort, I'd have a dozen Death Eaters standing outside of the Dursley's house a minute before Harry's birthday, when the minute is up, its Harry's birthday and I would blow the house up to smithereens :evil:, why wait and give a chance for Harry to become powerful enough to be a threat to Voldemort. It's the classic mistake right out of a James Bond movie; instead of killing the hero the moment you capture him, the villain waits and waits for the perfect moment and by the time it comes, the hero escape and return to challenge and defeat the villain(ie:Voldemort should of let Snape kill Harry in HBP).
Yes, it would be fun to see how the Dursleys handle Ron/Hermione, it would be funnier to see how they would deal with Luna; but I don't see them stay longer enough to cause many headaches for the Dursleys. If I was Harry, the night before his birthday, he and his protection(Order members) should go to the Ministry and spend the night there. In the morning, when the Ministry opens, Harry can get his Appariation licence and Appariate to Godric's Hollow or the Burrow, to prepare himself for his final battle with Voldemort.

bethp
July 20th, 2005, 7:56 am
I think that Privet Drive will not be safe for ANYONE Dumbledore used the protection Lily left in Harry to ensure his safety at Privet Drive, but he did something to it meaning that with him dead, the spell might not work at all now or at the most not be as strong. I think having Ron and Hermione around is a perfect way to start as there could very well be an attact at the house and Harry will need all the help he can get.

It would also be great fun to see some magical interaction with the Durselys...the scene with DD was great, I can just see Hermione now repairing things, doing dishes, etc...and Ron would be asking questions and mispronouncing muggle items:-)

brownbuffer
July 20th, 2005, 9:02 pm
Why not have the trio stay at the Granger house as well? If Dumbledore's protection over the Dursley house is gone (aside from whatever Petunia has up her sleeve), and Harry sort of declined Scrimgeour's Auror protection, #4 Privet Drive is just a plain Muggle house just like anywhere else. It would make more sense to at least stay at a supportive household.

I hope there's at least one chapter where Ron meets Hermione's parents. He'll get off on the wrong foot when he inadvertantly breaks several things in the house, but the future "in-laws" end up being understanding and find him amusing.

Blade
July 20th, 2005, 9:05 pm
thats if harry descides not to let them come.....you never know.........it will surely be an interesting book when it comes out to see if any of our theories and proven

Tonks
July 20th, 2005, 9:11 pm
I can't wait to see the Dursleys' reactions to Ron and Hermione... but do we even know how long Harry is going to stay? Does he have to stay another 2 weeks or can it just be a day?

Nagini15
July 20th, 2005, 9:13 pm
The prospect of Ron and Hermione attempting to stay with the Dursleys in book 7 filled me with glee!

My feelings exactly :)

baby_fawkes
July 20th, 2005, 9:23 pm
Why do people seem to think they'll only be there 24 hours or two weeks? Harry's protection doesn't end until midnight July 30, and school lets out in early June. Unless my math's wrong, that adds up to nearly two months.

I took the wedding invitation to mean that Harry would only be at the Weasley's shortly (like for the weekend), then go back to Privet Drive.

Am I the only one who read it this way???

Can't wait for the first row between Vernon and Hermione! Can you imagine his big purple face when a teenage girl dares to stand up to him?!! :rotfl:

Tonks
July 20th, 2005, 10:22 pm
Why do people seem to think they'll only be there 24 hours or two weeks? Harry's protection doesn't end until midnight July 30, and school lets out in early June. Unless my math's wrong, that adds up to nearly two months.

I took the wedding invitation to mean that Harry would only be at the Weasley's shortly (like for the weekend), then go back to Privet Drive.

Can't wait for the first row between Vernon and Hermione! Can you imagine his big purple face when a teenage girl dares to stand up to him?!! :rotfl:

There is a part in the begining of HPB when DD is at the Dursley's where DD asks them to accept Harry back again in the summer for a short time (doesn't give exact length). But by readin this it does nto seem like he has to stay the entire time for the spell to work.

callmeblondie
July 21st, 2005, 12:43 am
I don't think that harry has to stay there to long, dumbledore only said that they needed to let him come back before he turns 17 so that the magic will last untill tht time. So I'm guessing that the trio will convunce then with a little bit of magic to let them come and i'm betting they'll only stay for a day or two and I'm guessing in that time we will find out what dudley saw when the dementors attacked and what exactly petunia knows. But the time they spend there will be hilarious!

Johno
July 21st, 2005, 12:45 am
I am thinking Mr Dursley will try to tell Harry that his friends are not welcome but then they "remind" him that they are able to legally to magic. If not couldn't they apparate anyway?

Leila22
July 21st, 2005, 12:51 am
that would be so Halerious to see Ron and Hermione at the Dursleys can you imagine Dudley Holding his but the whole time :rotfl: But anywho Harry would probally have to stay there sometime until he turns 17 but there is not a time limit, he could stay for an hour and i think it would be still protected.

LuvRed
July 21st, 2005, 4:10 am
Harry needs his friends. He needs to map out a plan. Hermione knows a little about everything. Ron lightens the mood. Ron and Hermione can do magic if something occurs. Ron's good a pulling questions out of thin air, whereas Hermiones more logical and precise. It's going to be refreshing for Harry to have a pleasant experience at Privet Drive.

Hermyowninny
July 21st, 2005, 7:10 am
^At least I hope it'll be pleasing. I know there's going to be a lot of heavy stuff in the finale, but hopefully that'll make Harry take up a "carpe diem" attitude and really enjoy time with all his friends.

PunkRockGirli
July 21st, 2005, 7:26 am
that would be so Halerious to see Ron and Hermione at the Dursleys can you imagine Dudley Holding his but the whole time :rotfl: But anywho Harry would probally have to stay there sometime until he turns 17 but there is not a time limit, he could stay for an hour and i think it would be still protected.
Didn't Dumbledore ask him to return for a day or something?

meesha1971
July 21st, 2005, 10:01 am
Didn't Dumbledore ask him to return for a day or something?

It's never been mentioned how long he has to stay at Privet Dr. to "recharge" his protection. Dumbledore told him in OOTP that as long as he could call it "home" he would be protected - even if he only goes back once a year. He told the Dursleys that he wanted them to let Harry return for a "short time" before he comes of age.

His shortest stay has been the 2 weeks in HBP. I was thinking he might stay about 2 weeks again and use the time to plan his next move.

Silentone
July 21st, 2005, 10:36 am
Its going to be very interesting to have those two at the Dursley's. Just curious where on earth are they going to sleep? I know they have a guest bedroom, guess that means Ron and Harry get to share a room... Course Hermione can pop in and out as she pleases you know being able to apparate at all, so she could just live at home and pop over during the day.. Course that wouldn't help matters with the Dursleys. The reality is though they don't have any choice in the matter if two of age wizards want to live their for awhile. Harry doesn't have to do anything... Let the good times roll... for now...

meesha1971
July 21st, 2005, 10:41 am
Its going to be very interesting to have those two at the Dursley's. Just curious where on earth are they going to sleep? I know they have a guest bedroom, guess that means Ron and Harry get to share a room... Course Hermione can pop in and out as she pleases you know being able to apparate at all, so she could just live at home and pop over during the day.. Course that wouldn't help matters with the Dursleys. The reality is though they don't have any choice in the matter if two of age wizards want to live their for awhile. Harry doesn't have to do anything... Let the good times roll... for now...

I hadn't even thought of that one! That would be hilarious! Ron and Harry living there - Ron annoying Vernon because he doesn't know much about muggles and Hermione annoying them all by "popping" in every morning during breakfast! :rotfl: :rotfl:

Silentone
July 21st, 2005, 10:53 am
I hadn't even thought of that one! That would be hilarious! Ron and Harry living there - Ron annoying Vernon because he doesn't know much about muggles and Hermione annoying them all by "popping" in every morning during breakfast! :rotfl: :rotfl:

It is truly entertaining... probably will last til Ron and Harry learn to apparate then its off to the burrow...
Course I also think the Dursleys are doomed to a most ignoble fate, Voldemort might kill them out of spite for protecting Harry... still that strays a bit.

Enjoy the popping in of Hermione and the yelling over fellytones until then... course Vernon can get as mad as he wants, ron could just calmly silence him with his wand... fun yes?

Darth_Nazgul
July 21st, 2005, 11:24 am
Oh My God. the Trio at the Dursleys. They could use magic around the house maybe threaten Dudders with a new tail (though they wouldnt actually do it as it will end them up in court). I hope to that somehow Harry or Hermione convince Petunia to talk more about Lily. As I have said since OotP, There is something stange about Petunia. I reckon there is more to here than meets the eye.

Desraelda
July 21st, 2005, 2:30 pm
I searched and didn't find anything. Feel free to move/close/merge if necessary.

On Page 651 of the US Edition, Ron says to Harry

"We'll be there, Harry," said Ron

"What?"

"At your aunt and uncle's house," said Ron. "And then we'll go with you wherever you're going."

How do you think Vernon, Petunia and Dudley will react to Harry bringing home a couple of his wizard friends for a little holiday?

Landale
July 21st, 2005, 2:32 pm
Well since they're both of age, and can use magic outside the school, I assume the Dursley's will act just peachy towards them =).

koppite
July 21st, 2005, 2:34 pm
Well Hermione is of a muggle background so she will hold herself in the right manner, but it is Ron they will react most to, as he will probably say something wrong about telephones, or television or something.

TnK
July 21st, 2005, 2:37 pm
Well since they're both of age, and can use magic outside the school, I assume the Dursley's will act just peachy towards them =).
Yeah that's what I thought.

Kassandra Amparo
July 21st, 2005, 2:42 pm
There's already a thread discussing this topic; it is called Ron and Hermione at Privet Drive (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=60102) and is in the New Divination Studies forum. :)

Herminia
July 21st, 2005, 3:14 pm
That'll be a kick. Can you imagine the looks on Vernon & Petunia's faces? And, of course, then Harry/Ron/Hermione will all be of age and can use magic in front of them...will Dudley get some nice cloven-hooves?

Desraelda
July 21st, 2005, 3:19 pm
There's already a thread discussing this topic; it is called Ron and Hermione at Privet Drive (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=60102) and is in the New Divination Studies forum. :)
Thanks.

Mods, please close or merge.

Sasori
July 21st, 2005, 3:26 pm
Heh, I can just picture it now. I really want to see Hermione and Harry teaching Ron about the muggle world and how to use muggle things (TV, toaster, rubber ducks :D). And it's not like the Dursleys really have any choice, now that the trio is of age and can do magic outside of school. This is one aspect that I really look forward to reading.

Desraelda
July 21st, 2005, 3:27 pm
I loved this scene. It brought me back to reality after the funeral ... thank goodness.

I could imagine all sorts of hilarious scenes. What will the neighbors say when Harry brings home a couple of friends from St. Brutus? Hermione may endear herself to Petunia, though, when she uses scourgify to clean up a mess. :p

I hope to that somehow Harry or Hermione convince Petunia to talk more about Lily. As I have said since OotP, There is something stange about Petunia. I reckon there is more to here than meets the eye.
Good thinking. This could be the break about Petunia we've been waiting for.

Wab
July 21st, 2005, 3:35 pm
Against their better judgement they'll probably find themselves liking Hermione as she knows how the muggle world works, is not significantly weird and comes from a good professional family.

That is, provided she doesn't make the tea pot dance.

AnchEikadee
July 21st, 2005, 3:40 pm
I don't think Hermione will be apparating inside #4 Privet Drive if they are allowed to stay. In HBP Dumbledore and Harry walked to the end of Privet Drive before apparating to where Slughorn lived, so disapparation from within Privet Drive mustn't be possible otherwise Dumbledore could've done it from the lounge (and not risk being seen by muggles).

Wonder what would happen if she did try to do it from inside the house (she's probably too intelligent to not suspect protection against it) though.

meesha1971
July 22nd, 2005, 12:59 am
I don't think Hermione will be apparating inside #4 Privet Drive if they are allowed to stay. In HBP Dumbledore and Harry walked to the end of Privet Drive before apparating to where Slughorn lived, so disapparation from within Privet Drive mustn't be possible otherwise Dumbledore could've done it from the lounge (and not risk being seen by muggles).

Wonder what would happen if she did try to do it from inside the house (she's probably too intelligent to not suspect protection against it) though.

Mr. Weasley was able to apparate from Privet Dr. in GOF. Dumbledore told Harry that it would be rude to apparate into someone's house unannounced. Kind of like kicking in the door and just walking on in. That's why he apparated at the end of the street and walked up to the door and knocked at both the Dursley's and Slughorn's. Manners.

I think once you have been invited (or in the case of the trio - announced your intention) to stay you could probably apparate within the house.

PuRe_Muggle
July 22nd, 2005, 2:33 am
i think theyll apparated into harrys bedroom, or at least that would be what they are supposed to do, and ron will muck it up ;)

anyway it would be amazing to see them pulverise dudley cause i hate him, and i would give anything to see harry use magic on his uncle.. blow him up a bit (not that he needs it)

meesha1971
July 22nd, 2005, 2:46 am
i think theyll apparated into harrys bedroom, or at least that would be what they are supposed to do, and ron will muck it up ;)

anyway it would be amazing to see them pulverise dudley cause i hate him, and i would give anything to see harry use magic on his uncle.. blow him up a bit (not that he needs it)

:rotfl:

I think they'll probably be very respectful while they're there to be honest. The Dursleys don't have to let them stay there and could ask them to leave. However, it would be cool if Harry stays there until his birthday and gives the Dursleys a "parting shot" before he leaves there for good. Nothing to actually hurt them of course but maybe spending the last day doing blatant magic and then apparating out in front of them. The Dursleys would just be appalled. :rotfl:

iheartduckies
July 22nd, 2005, 8:15 am
ooo they should be exciting at privet drive...3 muggles+3 teenage witches=fun chapter. Dudley will probably be peeing his pants during some part of it...fun fun fun!

sheilajsn
July 22nd, 2005, 10:08 pm
It would be so funny seeing Ron come in contact with muggle artifacts like the TV. This whole thing have the potential of being hilarious.
Besides, since Ron and Hermione are of age, the Dursleys would be terrorized. I just can’t wait to see Dudley’s behavior around them.

PunkRockGirli
July 22nd, 2005, 10:17 pm
It would be so funny seeing Ron come in contact with muggle artifacts like the TV. This whole thing have the potential of being hilarious.
Besides, since Ron and Hermione are of age, the Dursleys would be terrorized. I just can’t wait to see Dudley’s behavior around them.
I agree that would make for a very interesting chapter :lol: I can almost see it now!

Erin_Anderson
July 22nd, 2005, 10:18 pm
Mr. Wealsey used the floo to get to Privet Drive, and Dumbledore only said it was rude to apparate into a persons home, not from it. If they could have apparated from inside it, i'm sure he would have. He was tormenting the Dursley's with magic himself, wasn't he?

hpbando
July 22nd, 2005, 10:22 pm
Ron I'm sure will be giving the Dursley's a hard time. It will be hilarious through and through.

D4rk_0ne
July 22nd, 2005, 10:37 pm
Too bad the Dursleys are MUGGLES. And no matter how old you are, it's against the Statute of Secrecy to cast Magic in the presence of a Muggle.

Sorry to ruin your theories.

~John

Lotario
July 22nd, 2005, 10:37 pm
I think, that we will have a lot of fun with Ron and Hermione at Privet Drive. I'm really looking forward to it. Mostly I'm interested in Aunt Petunia's reaction. She was 'oddly flushed' at the end of chapter 3. Ashamed perhaps?

nightmarenny
July 22nd, 2005, 10:51 pm
Too bad the Dursleys are MUGGLES. And no matter how old you are, it's against the Statute of Secrecy to cast Magic in the presence of a Muggle.

Sorry to ruin your theories.

~John
(shakes head) Get your head in the game man. The dursley know about magic. So its allowed.

laugh_a_lot
July 23rd, 2005, 12:23 am
It'll be hilarious because Ron and Hermione are allowed to use magic and the Dursley's know it, so they'll be terrified! :evil:

hermioneblue
July 23rd, 2005, 2:08 am
i can't wait for that its going to be funny, hopefully it will happen.

i think that hermione's parents could take ron and hermione there. i think it would be funny to hear about what the dursleys think about harry bring freinds home.

if ron comes to the dursleys i think it would be funny to have him see the tv, and be all "whats that" and "why would someone want it". also the how phone thing would be funny too.

XRadianceX
July 23rd, 2005, 3:44 am
It will be rather entertaining to see Ron and (not so much) Hermione function in a muggle household. Seeing as how both Ron and Hermione can use magic outside school now...I dont think the Dursleys are going to need much convincing, i mean, one swish of a wand and you have Cactice's for ears right? hehe

:)

Centaur_Iain
July 25th, 2005, 6:52 am
Barely found this thread, didn't show up when I searched, but did when I pressed "Has this been discussed?" Anyway, it's going to be great if they actually stay, which by the end of HBP I really think there is nothing that could stop them, but persuasion can be a great thing.

Vernon will of course deny them stay, Dudder's will hide in a corner at the thought of "Of age Wizards," and Petunia... I'm not too sure about. They probably will stay, but if there is no room, possibly at Mrs. Figgs?

Kanelle
July 25th, 2005, 7:57 am
Just to point something out..... The school year ended early because of Dumbledore's death so there is probley more then 2 months till Harry's birthday.

RemusLupinFan
July 25th, 2005, 2:57 pm
Any thoughts as to how Ron and Hermione will manage to convince the Dursley's to take them in and what will be going on for the few weeks of protection Harry has left at Privet Drive?I have a feeling Ron and Hermione won't bother pretending they're not Harry's friends from school. To make the Dursleys nervous, I can see Harry telling them that Ron and Hermione are his friends who are allowed to do magic outside of school because they're of age. In any case, I can't wait to see the Dursleys squirm at the prospect of having two wizards in their house! Of course, they'll only be able to threaten the Dursleys with the fact that they are able to do magic, but they won't actually be able to do it without getting in trouble.

Kanelle
July 25th, 2005, 3:59 pm
What would be realy funny is if the Dursleys have to go with Harry because the deatheaters trying to kill them. I can just imagine them screaming bloody murder right back at the portrait in Number 12 and trying to come to terms with the magical world. :rotfl:

siriusjen
July 25th, 2005, 4:13 pm
It would be hysterical to see how that pans out! I'd love to see the reactions of the Dursleys, having two of-age wizards/witches under their roof for an extended period of time. :evil:

Unfortunately, I don't think they'll be staying long. I'm guessing they'll stop in, get the story from Petunia, and leave. All Harry had to do was return there once more before he turned 17, right? There wasn't really anything specific said about the length he had to stay.

blue_venice15
July 25th, 2005, 4:42 pm
Ron and Hermione at Privet Drive, eh? Well, if the Dursely's won't let them stay, they could always hide with the invisibility cloak in the cupboard under the stairs. They could sneak into the kitchen for food when they needed it. I think this would also provide ample snogging opportunities. It's someting to think about, anyway. :rotfl:

Kiner83
July 26th, 2005, 5:50 pm
Not to spoil the fun or anything but I can't actually see Uncle V letting Ron and Hermione stay at Privet Drive. I have a feeling Harry won't spend much time there before moving on to the burrow for the wedding.

However, I really hope something fanstastically hilarious and equally horrible happens to the Dursley's as it will Harry's last stint with them! He will also be of age (somewhere during the summer) and will be free to do some great bit of magic on Dudley. Maybe Ginny will come round and perform her famous bat bogey curse on them all :rotfl:

Fury
July 30th, 2005, 8:36 pm

I agree with you there... it does seem like nearly two months. I thought that too. It could last a couple chapters.

I am glad I found this information. I am writing a fan fic that has my version of what I think book 7 will be... and I do need this.

LeQuibbler
July 30th, 2005, 10:24 pm
Actually from what was said in HBP if there are of age wizards in a house they can not prove that magic was not done by them. So if Ron and Hermione are with Harry the ministry will not be able to prove Harry did any magic since the two of them will be allowed to anyways. Just a thought

Can the ministry detect that two of age wizards are at the house? That would need to happen - b/c they sure couldn't detect that Dobby was there. Perhaps Hermione and Ron should inform the MoM that they will be residing at Privet for a short period.

Good thread. Can you see Harry sending a note saying, I will catch the bus home, no need to pick me up, thank you very much. And the night bus stopping at Privet Drive. Ron and Herimone being under the invisibility cloak...

I don't think Harry will remain for long - a day or two at most, as long as he is welcome and the protection extends. But I do hope that they part on good terms with Harry being more mature minded about the whole deal - in the scheme of things, at least at this point, it is moot (what happened in the past) because the war is paramount.

Also, I hope they find out Harry has a ton of gold and after Godric's Hollow is repaired, has TWO homes and a house elf to boot - I vote for Dobby!

Now, if Harry were to brew up the Elixir to Induce Euphoria... awwww, might stay a bit longer and in comfort, perhaps??? Or that music box at 12 Grimmuald Place: say, leave it open in the den :cool:

Is Privet Drive the safest place for Ron/Hermione to go? Remember the protection charm that covers the Dursleys only protects Harry, Ron and Hermione would be open for attack if they stay there. You know that the Weasleys, the Grangers and the Order may try to discourage Ron/Hermione from going back to Privet Drive with Harry. With Dumbledore's "death", Voldemort and the DE will be work frequent with their attacks, which will put the trio in danger wherever they stay, if they don't have enough members of the order there acting as protection. If I was Voldemort, I'd have a dozen Death Eaters standing outside of the Dursley's house a minute before Harry's birthday, when the minute is up, its Harry's birthday and I would blow the house up to smithereens :evil:, why wait and give a chance for Harry to become powerful enough to be a threat to Voldemort. It's the classic mistake right out of a James Bond movie; instead of killing the hero the moment you capture him, the villain waits and waits for the perfect moment and by the time it comes, the hero escape and return to challenge and defeat the villain(ie:Voldemort should of let Snape kill Harry in HBP).
Yes, it would be fun to see how the Dursleys handle Ron/Hermione, it would be funnier to see how they would deal with Luna; but I don't see them stay longer enough to cause many headaches for the Dursleys. If I was Harry, the night before his birthday, he and his protection(Order members) should go to the Ministry and spend the night there. In the morning, when the Ministry opens, Harry can get his Appariation licence and Appariate to Godric's Hollow or the Burrow, to prepare himself for his final battle with Voldemort.

I don't know what good OotP members would be for the trio, b/c lets face it, in the past, especially at the castle, they were totally outclassed and that is with Felix on the side of three students.

Ron will probably muck it up? Oh, you mean like popping into the shower with Mrs. Dursley :rotfl:

Greenstar76
July 30th, 2005, 11:41 pm
Uncle Vernon will probably respond by taking the Dursleys on a very long foreign holiday - just to ruin our fun :sad: (Similar to his running from the School owls early in PS)

But hopefully not until the trio have had a chance to choke out whatever secrets Petunia is repressing :cool:

D4rk_0ne
July 31st, 2005, 1:53 am
(shakes head) Get your head in the game man. The dursley know about magic. So its allowed.
Did that stop Harry from getting a warning under that clause in book five? No. The letter said "... and in the full presence of a muggle, which is against ..." Thus, just because they know, "man," doesn't make it legal.

~John

crumseekerlynch
July 31st, 2005, 3:46 am
They still can't do magic in front of muggles even if they are of age.

xchrisvx
July 31st, 2005, 10:41 am
Has anyone else considered the sleeping arangments while Ron and Hermione join Harry at Privet Drive? I suspect Harry will let Ron have his room, which would leave Hermione for the guest room. Then Harry would be - where else - back to sleeping in the cupboard under the stairs. It would be some nice symmetry for him, as he's back, quite litterally, where he was when the story began.

Blizzrock
July 31st, 2005, 3:42 pm
If the Dursleys start being their usual abusive self to Harry it'll be Hermione that will stand up for him. I don't see Ron yelling at Vernon. Ron on the other hand will be very amused with his muggle surroundings. Just like when he tried to use the telophone in I forget which book. If anyone doesn't remember, he was screaming at the top of his lungs to make sure they could hear him on the other side.

Tzigone
July 31st, 2005, 4:46 pm
Don't forget the guest room. It's a four bedroom class.

Abraxa
July 31st, 2005, 9:53 pm
(Would that mean that Hermione isn't going to be able to do magic in front of her parents? The Dursleys are, after all, Harry's legal guardians... and magical, for that matter.)

Harry only needs to stay for a brief time to renew his protection, and he will remain protected until his birthday. If I were him, I wouldn't waste my protection lurking at Privet Drive...

hermioneblue
July 31st, 2005, 9:54 pm
Just to point something out..... The school year ended early because of Dumbledore's death so there is probley more then 2 months till Harry's birthday.

i don't mean to get off topic but if harry ended school early who notified the dursleys to pick him up early and how would they act to find out that they half to have harry longer

ron could stay in harrys room and hermione could have the guest room

littlemae
July 31st, 2005, 10:17 pm
I think that Ron and Hermione will be allowed to stay (however much the Dursley's don't want them to) because they'll be of-age and Harry will be sure to let Vernon in on what that means. And, of course, Harry could also mention to Petunia that he won't stay unless Ron and Hermione do, and I think Petunia will convince Vernon. She knows what she was agreeing to when they first took Harry in, and I don't think she'd take back what she promised no matter how much she didn't want Harry there. Besides, they won't be staying and Privet Drive very long anyways, a day or two, that's all.
I also think it's a great theory about Hermione digging up somethings from the past about Harry's family, ect. It would be just like her to be bold and ask the important questions.

OpheliaSometime
July 31st, 2005, 10:17 pm
Harry said himself he wasn't going to stay long: "I'm going back to the Dursleys' once more, because Dumbledore wanted me to go," said Harry. "But it'll be a short visit, and them I'll be gone for good."

So we know he won't be there long. My guess is two weeks to one month, max. And while no doubt there will be plenty of chance for hilarity to ensue, what with three wizards under the Dursleys' roof, I'm more inclined to think that the trio will spend the time preparing for their journey, like discussing possible locations for Horcruxes and studying hexes and such. Afterward, they'll go to the Burrow for the wedding. I think they might stay there a few days before they head off to Godric's Hollow.

Harry will need an early start if he wants to find those Horcruxes and destroy Voldemort within a years time. :p

ilovecedric
July 31st, 2005, 10:26 pm
The first chapters of this book should be delicious. i think that the Dursleys will finally get what is coming to them. I think that we will find out more about petunia's connection to the magical world when she finds out dumbledore is dead- and i think this will be the reason she will allow Ron and Hermione to stay. Ahhhh the wait for the seventh book is going to be soooooooo long......

KiwiBird
July 31st, 2005, 10:34 pm
well they can do magic like dumbledore did, but they cant attack them, for then they will be charged and they will be needing to spend time in azkaban or get at least a warning and such

Mercer
July 31st, 2005, 11:18 pm
hmmm, just a few points to add to the discussion.
First, Ron said on the last page of HBP that they had to go to the Burrow for the wedding. My understanding was that will happen first before Harry goes back to #4 Privet Drive. This will delay the conflict with the Dursley's some.
Second, we are all forgetting that magic and muggle electric stuff don't mix. I have a feeling that this is why Harmione does not spend much time at home anymore. She is a powerfull witch and surely is causing some problems with the devices in the Granger home. I would assume this would happen at Privet Drive also if it suddenly has 3 fairly active magic users in the house.
Now I know the arguement is that Harry never conflicted with the muggle stuff when he was at home. Well he was kept from doing any magic in the house so it most likely was not causing any problems. It would if Ron and Harmione were to start using magic on a regular basis. Of course this could add to the humor, imagine Duddley's reaction to the TV not working properly because Ron kept trying to make it turn on with his wand instead of the remote.

Mercer

KiwiBird
July 31st, 2005, 11:43 pm
that be funny, dudley trying to look at his favourite show and ron swithing the channels without dudleykins knowing it.

TLammy
August 1st, 2005, 3:02 am
The first chapters of this book should be delicious. i think that the Dursleys will finally get what is coming to them. I think that we will find out more about petunia's connection to the magical world when she finds out dumbledore is dead- and i think this will be the reason she will allow Ron and Hermione to stay. Ahhhh the wait for the seventh book is going to be soooooooo long......

I think a lot of folks are going to be disappointed with what happens with the Dursley's - Harry has matured a great deal in the last year. He know realizes how important it was that the Dursley's took him and regardless of everything that happened they did do that. Petunia has had almost a year to think since DD gave them that talking to and will realize that no matter what Harry is her blood and has his mother's eyes. When she learns of the DD death at the hands of "Snape" we will learn about that "awful boy". Harry will say goodbye - telling them he has to revenge the death of his parents.

Petunia will give Harry something he's not had from them for the last 16 years - love and he in return will probably give them some of his gold for having taken him in when he needed it. At least that's my theory ;)

Okay they can still fun with Dudley :)

A Newbie to the board but a long time fan.

random_musing
August 1st, 2005, 3:10 am
i can see ron and hermione causing havoc without really meaning to ya know? I doubt they'll be using magic all over the place to spite harry's aunt and uncle but they'll do some and it'll probably turn out...well...erm...not so pretty. But i'll be interested in seeing all this unfold for sure ;)

MadMagic
August 1st, 2005, 5:11 am
I don't think Hermione will unintentionally cause havoc. She grew up in a Muggle home, she knows how things work. Plus she is pretty clever.
Ron on the other hand, I can't imagine him not managing to cause havoc with whatever he does. His knowldge of muggle living is pitiful, his phone call attempt in CoS was pathetic. I expect Ron's attempt at living in a muggle house will be quite hilarious.

mistymoon
August 1st, 2005, 7:35 am
I think if they do go to Privet Drive it will just be to pick Harry up.I really don't see the Dursley's letting them stay there.I do really hope Harry will get some answers from Petunia though.

Aliter81
August 1st, 2005, 5:28 pm
Ron and Hermione at the Dursley's should be entertaining. Although I'm wondering what Hermione's parents will think. Ron's parents will understand, but what's Hermione gonna tell the dentists, "Sorry mum and dad I can't come home for the summer cos I've got to go with Harry to the Drusley's and they we'll be off chasing Voldemort." Do her parents even know what's going on? Dean's don't.

Sorry, that was off topic. At the Dursley's I think that once the trio have had their fun there will be some serious discussion. Petunia seems to be slowly realizing what's going on and the implications it could have. She knows enough to be afraid of Voldemort. I think that she'll show the trip the letters she got from Dumbledore and share with Harry what she knew about his parents. Petunia may have been jealous and bitter but she' a snoop and you can bet she learned everything about James and Lily's life that she could (OoTP, she remembers Azkaban and the dementors).

closet_hobbit
August 1st, 2005, 8:13 pm
Unless Rowling decides to have Petunia talk about her sister, I highly doubt we will see much of Privet Drive. The Dursley's seem to have served their purpose as we see less and less of them as the series progresses.

Serani
August 1st, 2005, 8:37 pm
Keep in mind that Rowling DID say we would learn how Petunia knew all that she did (I don't think that what we've heard is enough) and that we would find out what Dudley saw that was so bad. That leads me to believe that we'll definately see more of the Dursleys that we did last time (and more than, perhaps, we might otherwise expect). Have we considered that, with Petunia's knowledge of what's going on, and after her "oddly flushed" face after Dumbledore's remonstration, that she might not LET Harry leave right away? He IS still underage (and even more so, according to Muggle law). She may not like him, but there's one other thing to consider. Petunia may have been jealous of Lily, but we have heard no evidence that she didn't respect her parents. They're gone (or Harry would have gone to live with them), but she may start to realize that she's not honoring THEIR memories by being so nasty to Harry. Obviously Petunia's parent's aren't terrible (or Lily wouldn't have turned out so go) so it stands to reason that Petunia valued their opinions. If that's the case, she's since realized that they would NOT have been happy with the way she's treated her nephew (jealousy or not). Anyway, the possibility exists that, with Petunia's understanding of the wizarding world that she has, she may not LET Harry leave right away.

random_musing
August 2nd, 2005, 12:20 am
I don't think Hermione will unintentionally cause havoc. She grew up in a Muggle home, she knows how things work. Plus she is pretty clever.
Ron on the other hand, I can't imagine him not managing to cause havoc with whatever he does. His knowldge of muggle living is pitiful, his phone call attempt in CoS was pathetic. I expect Ron's attempt at living in a muggle house will be quite hilarious.

lord ron will be a hoot. He knows nothing about muggles and that should make for interesting...interaction between him and the durselys. Who knows, he may even think that muggles not only can't hear well through phones but in general.

polocub1429
August 2nd, 2005, 1:16 am
I don't think Hermione, Ron, and Harry will stay there for long - Harry only needs to go there to renew the magical protection his mother left him, so he'll probably only need to be there for a short about of time. I think Hermione and Ron will accompany him but they won't stay overnight or anything - probably long enough to cause mild havoc, and for Ron to say ridiculously funny things, but that's it. I think Hermione will fit in fine, since she is Muggleborn and she knows how everything works.

Ankaa
August 2nd, 2005, 4:12 pm
It didn't seem, from the last page of HBP I mean, that Harry intends to stay that long at the Dursleys. He said it would be a "short visit." I think that perhaps what Harry wants to do is: 1) Fulfill Dumbledore's wish of going back to the Dursleys while there is magical protection there. 2) Find out about his mother's family before he leaves for Godric's Hollow.

Also, Ron says that Harry has to come to the wedding even "before Godric's Hollow," not his aunt and uncle's house. So most likely, the trio will quickly visit the Dursleys, go to the wedding, and then visit Godric's Hollow.

One thing I would like to hear opinions about is Harry's degree of independence in book 7. I mean, he says he will be the one to kill Voldemort and hunt out the Horcruxes. And it's true--he will be of age, but I highly doubt that the Order will allow him to run around unprotected. Then again, I don't believe Harry will tell anyone else about the Horcruxes. So, I just wonder how much danger the trio will be in going to all these places--even the Dursleys--if they go alone.

LeQuibbler
August 2nd, 2005, 8:22 pm
i don't mean to get off topic but if harry ended school early who notified the dursleys to pick him up early and how would they act to find out that they half to have harry longer

How about sticking Ron under the stairs with the spiders that never bothered Harry. :rotfl:

hermioneblue
August 2nd, 2005, 11:02 pm
How about sticking Ron under the stairs with the spiders that never bothered Harry. :rotfl:

:rotfl:

that be funny, dudley trying to look at his favourite show and ron swithing the channels without dudleykins knowing it.

that would be funny :rotfl: .

DrLazy_89
August 2nd, 2005, 11:15 pm
I think that Hermione and Ron will come pick Harry up for the wedding.

lacylolita
August 2nd, 2005, 11:45 pm
I can't help but think Hermione will ask the questions from the Dursleys that Harry has always been too afraid to ask. :agree:

fuchsia i totally agree with you , if they do go to Privet drive with Harry, Hermione will definitely poke around and find some of the story behind the hatred of the Dursley's(mainly Petunia's) towards Harry. I also believe that there willbe some healing, once some of the secrets are revealed;there will be mutual understanding after all they are the only family he has ever known (besides Sirius of course) and the will all come to see that everything as necessary, i don't think it will be peaches and cream from then on (after all they did treat him like **** over the years), but acceptance. I don't think that lesson can go untaught!! :scared:

Am i being naive?? :upset:

Niffly
August 3rd, 2005, 12:00 am
Oh, I'm SOOO looking forward to read the chapters with Harry, Ron and Hermione at Privet Drive, they'll be brilliant!
I think that Harry will persuade the Dursleys. If he can't persuade them, then Mad-Eye Moody will, lol :P Anyway, with one way or another, Ron and Hermione we'll stay there.
I don't reckon that Hermione will provoke anyone, she'll be a perfect Muggle. As for Ron, he'll try not to provoke Dudley or do *magical* things, but he'll just can't restrain himself sometimes.

Nicole
August 3rd, 2005, 2:39 am
They still can't do magic in front of muggles even if they are of age.Funny that Albus didn't have any trouble doing so. Funny how Harry didn't get a warning for it, either. (I will allow that Dumbledore spoke to Scrimgeour about retrieving Harry that evening and to disregard any magic, though.) No warnings when the Advance Guard did magic in the house--how in the world did Harry get away without a warning for underage magic then? (It wouldn't have been for "magic in front of muggles", presuming the Ministry could somehow tell the Dursleys weren't home. The AG was too secretive to have told Fudge what they were doing--Harry was already up a creek without a paddle as far as the Minister was concerned.)
First, Ron said on the last page of HBP that they had to go to the Burrow for the wedding. My understanding was that will happen first before Harry goes back to #4 Privet Drive. This will delay the conflict with the Dursley's some.
School seems to be ending early in HBP. Fleur should have been planning a date for after the school closure for summer break--at the usual time. So, the wedding shouldn't take place for some time--at least two weeks. There should be 6-7 weeks between Harry's return to Privet Drive and his birthday. There may indeed be time to visit Godric's Hollow before the wedding, though it may not happen in that order...

I think a trip to Diagon Alley for some supplies and special items might be wise, too. Those Shield Gloves the twins made...could be very helpful against one or more of the horcrux protection spells (oh, what the heck, get Shield Hats and Shield Cloaks, too! ;) ).

I wonder if the letter Dumbledore left on the doorstep so many years ago specified a needed length of stay for Harry's protection to be recharged. Petunia would know. I'd enjoy seeing her and the trio having a little chat with Aunt Petunia while Vernon is at work and Dudders is still in school (or does his school get out sooner than Harry's--he was at the train station in OotP, but not in the two books just before that). I think she'd speak a bit more freely if her husband and son weren't around to hear....

Alhanalasa
August 3rd, 2005, 3:10 am
I know there's a lot JKR has to fit into book 7, but I hope she spends a good bit of time on Ron and Hermione at Privet Drive! There's so much scope for humor, and I agree with those who have theorized that Hermione will be the one who finally asks the questions Harry should have demanded answers to ages ago! Perhaps that's how we will learn more about Petunia and Lily, and who that "awful boy", and many other things.

I don't think it needs to be an extended visit. Dumbledore made it sound as if one night would be enough. As long as they don't turn Harry's room back into Dudley's spare room until after July 31st, right? :)

FireKracKer78
August 3rd, 2005, 4:15 am
As everyone else has already said, they could pretend to be muggles.I think Hermione could pull it off. Will roll on the floor in hysterics when Ron attempts to.

Fudydudey
August 3rd, 2005, 10:21 am
Erm, invisibility cloak for a fortnight? I guess Harry's just going to have to come clean with Vernon and Pertunia. I think if Hermione and Ron can do magic now, I don't think the Dursleys will be able to complain...

Potency
August 7th, 2005, 7:01 pm
Keep in mind that Rowling DID say we would learn how Petunia knew all that she did (I don't think that what we've heard is enough) and that we would find out what Dudley saw that was so bad. That leads me to believe that we'll definately see more of the Dursleys that we did last time (and more than, perhaps, we might otherwise expect). Have we considered that, with Petunia's knowledge of what's going on, and after her "oddly flushed" face after Dumbledore's remonstration, that she might not LET Harry leave right away? He IS still underage (and even more so, according to Muggle law). She may not like him, but there's one other thing to consider. Petunia may have been jealous of Lily, but we have heard no evidence that she didn't respect her parents. They're gone (or Harry would have gone to live with them), but she may start to realize that she's not honoring THEIR memories by being so nasty to Harry. Obviously Petunia's parent's aren't terrible (or Lily wouldn't have turned out so go) so it stands to reason that Petunia valued their opinions. If that's the case, she's since realized that they would NOT have been happy with the way she's treated her nephew (jealousy or not). Anyway, the possibility exists that, with Petunia's understanding of the wizarding world that she has, she may not LET Harry leave right away.

A really strange part of my brain that keeps popping up with every idea imaginable (except for the one Rowling came up with, I bet!)...keeps going back to the fact that the "awful boy", Snape, might be there, waiting for them. I think he and Petunia must know each other, if he, in fact, was the one she was referring to.

LordSparrow
August 10th, 2005, 11:44 pm
1) I think that if of age wizards do magic outside Hogwarts, it doesn't matter.
2) Ron and Hermione will be able provide extra protection for the Dursleys and Harry
3) It also matters when Bill and Fleur's wedding is, unless they go back and forth...

RoonilWazlib4
August 11th, 2005, 12:54 am

I think Harry will let Ron and Hermione sleep in his room, while Harry sleeps in the guest room. :lol:

Harry_Hottie
August 11th, 2005, 1:10 am
I don't know if ne1 has said this or not, but I think Dumbly said this but I'm not sure but some1 said that the ministry doesn't know who used the magic, they only know where the magic has been used. so if harry does use magic he has the company of 2 wizards that can use magic so Ron or Hermione could say they used the magic and the ministy wouldn't have a clue.

Wimsey
August 11th, 2005, 4:54 am
I think Harry will let Ron and Hermione sleep in his room, while Harry sleeps in the guest room. :lol:

Please, no muffliato jokes......
:angel:

Seriously, this should provide some much needed levity. However, I would be surprised if we wrap up Privet Dr. in the beginning of the book. There is a degree of symmetry to the HP stories, and I would not be surprised if we return to Privet Dr. near the end of the story.

Big_fish
August 11th, 2005, 5:08 am
Please, no muffliato jokes......
:angel:

Seriously, this should provide some much needed levity. However, I would be surprised if we wrap up Privet Dr. in the beginning of the book. There is a degree of symmetry to the HP stories, and I would not be surprised if we return to Privet Dr. near the end of the story.

But at the end of the HBP Harry did not return to private drive. I think that this may just be because this would be an important opening in the next book and will be important to plot progression. Also I do not think that Harry will spend a long time at Private Drive. I think that it will only be a matter of days before Harry leaves. He only needs to spend a little time at private drive to get the protective benifits of returning and I am thinking that he will be too focused upon finishing his mission to spend a long time when it will have very little protective benifit.

Wimsey
August 11th, 2005, 5:35 am
I think that it will only be a matter of days before Harry leaves. He only needs to spend a little time at private drive to get the protective benifits of returning and I am thinking that he will be too focused upon finishing his mission to spend a long time when it will have very little protective benifit.

The protective benefit is only that Harry cannot be harmed by Voldemort while he is living there. Obviously, it does not apply when he is at Hogwarts, and it will cease to apply once he's 17.

I don't think that Harry really cares about that right now. He'll depart Privet Dr. pretty hastily.

Still, it will be amusing to see what the Dursleys make of Ron & Hermione.

EngrHawg
August 11th, 2005, 6:01 am

Can't wait for the first row between Vernon and Hermione! Can you imagine his big purple face when a teenage girl dares to stand up to him?!!

Harry, only has to stay at Privet Drive for a short while for the protection to extend until his birthday. Once he turns 17 there is no protection letft. I'm still not sure if we know fully what this protection is or how it works. I know some people assume it's only in affect while he is physically in the house, but that seems rather silly and fairly weak. I admit that there are definately indications in the book that point towards this limited protection. I'm wondering if this protection is somehow more powerful than we realise?

ahh...i'm probably wrong

jstlkhermione
August 11th, 2005, 6:33 am
I think that as long as Harry goes there once a year, for at least a day or two, he will be protected for the rest of the year. At least, that is how I read it...

However, I think that Harry will actually stay longer than is needed. I think that the trip to the Dursley's with Ron and Hermione will not only be humorous, but will also provide important information. Petunia overheard a conversation about Azkaban, what if she overheard something about Horcruxes? I think that Petunia will be one of those "unexpected resources" J K Rowling talked about in her interview.

I'm looking forward to Ron attempting to act like a Muggle! :rotfl:

Wimsey
August 11th, 2005, 6:33 am
I know some people assume it's only in affect while he is physically in the house, but that seems rather silly and fairly weak.

The fact that such protection could exist at all sounds quite impressive to me.

We never have been given any indication that Voldemort could not kill Harry outside of Privet Dr. If Harry is at the Weasleys or Godric's Hollow in mid-July, there simply is no reason to think that he is particularly safe. After all, Dumbledore requested that Harry not wander from the Burrow right after they had left the Dursleys. That would be an unneeded request if Harry had Privet Dr.'s protection then and there.

EngrHawg
August 11th, 2005, 7:40 am
The fact that such protection could exist at all sounds quite impressive to me.

We never have been given any indication that Voldemort could not kill Harry outside of Privet Dr. If Harry is at the Weasleys or Godric's Hollow in mid-July, there simply is no reason to think that he is particularly safe. After all, Dumbledore requested that Harry not wander from the Burrow right after they had left the Dursleys. That would be an unneeded request if Harry had Privet Dr.'s protection then and there.

You're probably right....and i'm probably wrong. At second thought you're right that the fact such protection exists is pretty impressive. I've just always thought theres got to be something more.

I mean whats the point of going back if the protection only has any affect in the Dursleys house? If thats the case, this protection wouldn't have a use in helping Harry find the Horcruxes. Also, i think what was the point of going to the Dursleys each summer? I could understand if he spent all of his summers at the Dursleys, because he would be protected the entire time he was away from Hogwarts. But he spends some time elsewhere each summer. Why wouldn't DD let Harry stay all summer at the Weasley's? The Weasleys are there to protect him, and when Harry goes out wandering around the neighbor hood what protection does he have? Just one member of the Order following Harry isn't as much protection as staying at a wizarding residence i would think. DD saying he just needs to spend a little time back this next summer would mean that he's only going to have protection for just a few days. Do you know what I mean?

Just a thought....unless Harry is going to have to flee LV and needs a place of safety to heal/recover, then this protection would make sense and be extremely useful.

Wow...what disjointed and rambling thoughts i have.

crookshanks1177
August 11th, 2005, 7:47 am
Considering Dumbledore forwarned them that after Harry's 17th birthday the safety charms would be lifted the Dursleys may be living in a bit of fear. After Harry turns 17 they're fair game to the Death Eaters from what I understand. I'm thinking they might not put too much of an arguement up with having the trio there. Well I can see Vernon and Dudley arguing. But I think Petunia will be the one to allow the trio to stay. They might feel safer having some people there that are experienced with magic. That's if they were smart. So we'll have to see. I think it will prove to be entertaining either way.

Silentone
August 11th, 2005, 9:11 am
Indeed it will be entertaining because Ron knows very little about the muggle lifestyle, and something i've pointed out before Hermione doesn't have to live there.. she can apparate she can stay with her parents and "pop" in every morn at breakfast which i must say would be truly entertaining.. pop... screams of terror and fright echo throughout the house... "where did she come from!!" good times...

Wimsey
August 11th, 2005, 4:52 pm
I mean whats the point of going back if the protection only has any affect in the Dursleys house? If thats the case, this protection wouldn't have a use in helping Harry find the Horcruxes. Also, i think what was the point of going to the Dursleys each summer?

Well, these are aspects of Potterverse magic upon which JKR never has elaborated. On one hand, the fact that Dumbledore insists on Harry returning to the Dursley's after GoF suggests that there is some lingering effect of staying there. On the other hand, the fact that Dumbledore immediately warns Harry not to leave the Burrow in HBP contradicts that.

As for Harry's plan, recall that he cannot do magic outside of Hogwarts until he is 17, and he will need to do a bit of magic given what is going to happen. Thus, his plan might well be to stay there until he's 17 and then leave immediately. Of course, he formulated that plan before Ron and Hermione informed him that they were tagging along, regardless. That could change his plans: if Harry peforms magic with those two around, the MoM won't know which of them did it.

Just a thought....unless Harry is going to have to flee LV and needs a place of safety to heal/recover, then this protection would make sense and be extremely useful.

I doubt that Privet Dr. will be used like that. If nothing else, I really doubt that the plot will have progressed so far that Harry will be able to get back to Privet Dr. before he turns 17.

The idea that it works only at Privet Dr. is not too inconsistent with the story. While Harry is at the Weasleys or at Hogwarts, he has wizards protecting him. While at the Dursleys, he has no protection from Voldemort at all.

Kanelle
August 11th, 2005, 5:25 pm
Has anyone else noticed when Hermoine decides to break rules she resorts to some realy dirty tactics? (The polyjuice potion even Ron and Harry hesitated over, blackmailing Rita Skeeter twice, and the DA's signup sheet)

Anyways my point is if Hermoine is the one to ask the questions of the Dursleys I think she might resort to something along the lines of... threatening to stay longer (after all they can't stop her).... humiliating them infront of the neighbors... using truth potion on them... turning there car into a rusted pile of junk... etc etc etc :rotfl:

sketch
August 11th, 2005, 5:35 pm
They could try and pretend to be Muggles. Hermione could manage it but the Dursleys have met Ron's family and might remember him.
The memory of tongue-ton toffees will ensure Ron a clear path.

They might also remember Hermione from the train station, too. I agree, this could be a hilarious ending to Harry's stay with the Dursleys. they'll probably forbid him to bring any 'freaks' to their house and Harry says 'Fine!' and leaves. Since he can.

bob_vhan
August 11th, 2005, 6:29 pm
I cant wait to see how Ron react while he living at a muggles house.I bet Ron and Uncle Vernon will have lot off tiff, because they have very different personalities.
And we might olso learn petunia story, or there will be an attack at the Dursleys and harry will see Petunia casting magic for the first time.

Even the Dursleys treat harry very bad, but the dursleys still have been raise Harry all this years. I think HArry will at last saying thanks and Good bye to the Dursley for good. Because i dont see any point to going back there after book 7, he have the grimauld 12 and the charm protection for harry at the Dursleys will gone.

irishjayhawk
August 11th, 2005, 6:49 pm
I'd be more inclined to think something would happen if fiesty, don't-take-anything Ginny was there. That doesn't mean Ron and Hermione can't provide entertainment.

Mishlo
August 11th, 2005, 7:02 pm
Well.. it is interesting to have both Ron and Hermione at Privet Drive.. because the protection cast by Dumbledore will wear off after Harry turns 17... so JKRowling could have plotted this in order that there will be some strange event occuring in the Muggle world.

trevor16121
August 12th, 2005, 10:54 am
oh the thought of the three of them there with the dursleys brings a smile to my face, i hope its good, if harry says what hes doing, i dont think petunia would refuse him, its the last time he will be there, im sure hes not going to care about inconveniencing them that much.

aaron016
August 14th, 2005, 9:32 am
This is going to be good to read. Just imagine when Harry brings home two wizards that are of age and can legally do magic. I imagine that Vernon will be furious, imagine him being forced to live with two more wizards than Harry!! I can imagine Ron being really fascinated by normal things such as a fridge, and Hermione going to fix up all his mistakes. Oh, this is going to be good!

Carbito
August 14th, 2005, 11:57 am
It's going to be interesting to see what happens. However Dumbledore does say in book six that Harry has to visit next year, it never actually mentions anything about staying.

hermy_weasley2
August 14th, 2005, 2:30 pm
I'm excited to see how this turns out. I can't wait to see how Ron reacts to the Muggle world and how the dursleys react to them :rotfl:.

Considering Dumbledore forwarned them that after Harry's 17th birthday the safety charms would be lifted the Dursleys may be living in a bit of fear. After Harry turns 17 they're fair game to the Death Eaters from what I understand. I'm thinking they might not put too much of an arguement up with having the trio there. Well I can see Vernon and Dudley arguing. But I think Petunia will be the one to allow the trio to stay. They might feel safer having some people there that are experienced with magic. That's if they were smart. So we'll have to see. I think it will prove to be entertaining either way.

I agree that it will probably be Aunt Petunia's word that will let them stay there. If she's familiar with dementors, she knows the rest of the danger in the wizarding world. She may not like having them there but she'll be more likely to understand the importance of them being there.

Ania21
August 14th, 2005, 6:53 pm
I think Duddy may even fall in love with Hermione...Oho!!! Can you imagine? that would definitely add a very funny note to start the book :p I can't imagine Ron's reactions to that.
I dunno why I've thought about it a long time ago... That would be hilarious.

kleets712
August 15th, 2005, 4:00 am
Wow i never thought that Ron and Hermione would agree to that. I would do something rather nastey to them but i dont know what it would be now of course u couldnt directly assault them but something they really love.....Take it away

cgold
September 3rd, 2005, 3:15 pm
I really hope that when Ron and Hermione are at Privet drive (does Hermione ever go home nowadays?) that they'll finally clear up and discuss their feelings and finally be an official couple and then when they go to the wedding and Krum is there (for reasons unknown to me), they'll have their first falling out but it will be resolved quickly.

I wonder how the Dursleys will accept Harry carrying home 2 wizards though? It seems like they'll have to accept it because .... well, they have no choice. I see at least one of them getting hexed before the end of the trip though.

Varexarnon
September 3rd, 2005, 6:07 pm
Judging by the style HBP was done in, i actually highly doubt we'll even see any of Privet Drive. It seems quite likely the book will just start at the Burrow and just have something about "They'd stayed briefly at Privet Drive".

I mean if HBP had been written in the normal style, we would have actually already seen the Dursley's reaction to this when they got off the train, but that was missed out, so it isn;t really that unlikely that the dursleys will be completely gone from book 7...

cgold
September 3rd, 2005, 6:31 pm
Judging by the style HBP was done in, i actually highly doubt we'll even see any of Privet Drive. It seems quite likely the book will just start at the Burrow and just have something about "They'd stayed briefly at Privet Drive". I don't agree at all. Privet drive is going to be important for a number of reasons:

1. We need to see the Dursleys one last time to get certain information: about Petunia, about what Dudley saw when he was attacked by the dementors.

2. Ron and Hermione have never been there before so this is something we would need to see play out.

3. The books always have Harry at Privet Drive, even if it's for a short while.

There are probably other reasons, but this is all I can think of now. I think Privet drive is going to be a very important chapter or two.

I mean if HBP had been written in the normal style, we would have actually already seen the Dursley's reaction to this when they got off the train, but that was missed out, so it isn;t really that unlikely that the dursleys will be completely gone from book 7...But that's it isn't it. We didn't get to see the train ride home which is very unusual. I think there is every possibility that book 7 will pick up almost exactly where book 6 left off. We may either see the train ride or the beginning of their visit to the Dursleys. Also, just like OotP, I think a lot of the book is going to take place before they go back to school. They may not go back to school till more than half the book is finished because they have to go to the Burrow as well as Godric's Hollow and more than likely Grimmauld Place. I have no doubt they will go back to school eventually though.

Cheers :tu:

crookshanks1177
September 11th, 2005, 12:09 am
I'm sure they will go back to Privet Drive. For one I believe Harry said that was in his plan to stop at Privet Drive. Also I don't think JKR wrote the part with Dumbledore telling the Dursleys to let Harry come back the last summer and reminding them of the protection that works for them till his 17th birthday as long as they allow Harry to call Privet Drive home for no reason. Other than that cgold pretty well listed my reasons why I think Harry will stop by Privet Drive in book 7

Wimsey
September 11th, 2005, 1:07 am
I don't agree at all. Privet drive is going to be important for a number of reasons:

1. We need to see the Dursleys one last time to get certain information: about Petunia, about what Dudley saw when he was attacked by the dementors.

I agree with you that Privet Dr. will be in VII. JKR has essentially said that this will be the case.

However, I don't think that what Dudley saw will be important per se, although it might relate to other things that are important. But remember also that JKR seems to like narrative symmetry, and she might choose to end the story where it begins: Privet Dr.

There are other reasons to suspect that something big will happen at Privet Dr. JKR has stated will see someone attempt to use magic late in life, and Petunia is a candidate: learning that she is one of those Muggles who could have been a Witch but refused to attend Hogwarts would explain a few things about her, both from the books and from JKR's comments. Indeed, there really are not any other good candidates for this task.

We didn't get to see the train ride home which is very unusual. I think there is every possibility that book 7 will pick up almost exactly where book 6 left off. We may either see the train ride or the beginning of their visit to the Dursleys.

There was no reason to include the train ride home in HBP. The story was done, and the denouement was Dumbledore's funeral. Also, keep in mind that critics skewered JKR for OotP's over-long narrative. JKR really wants literary immortality, and another sloppily written book like OotP would risk that. So, HBP was much tighter, and she did not include completely irrelevant things like a train ride home.

Also, just like OotP, I think a lot of the book is going to take place before they go back to school. They may not go back to school till more than half the book is finished because they have to go to the Burrow as well as Godric's Hollow and more than likely Grimmauld Place. I have no doubt they will go back to school eventually though.

Actually, I see no reason for them to return to Hogwarts except to get information. They are done with classes: they can teach Harry nothing that he needs to know at this point. Also, JKR clearly is bored with writing about them: look at how little time she wasted in HBP's narrative on classes. They have nothing to offer the story or the plot at this point. They have a short amount of time to find and dismantle two Horcruxes, deal with Snape and whatever shocking revelations about Lily we are due to get, and have Harry reach whatever epiphany that he needs to reach to understand what Dumbledore was teaching him. None of that needs to be at Hogwarts.

Indeed, the trend has been for Hogwarts to become less and less important to the plot and narrative. In GoF, the A-plot is resolved away from Hogwarts. Ditto for OotP. In HBP, the A-plot takes place almost entirely away from Hogwarts: either in people's memories or in a far-flung cave. LV won't be hiding any Horcruxes in Hogwarts (which would be equivalent to hiding a chicken in a foxes cage!), so look for two more far-flung places from Voldemort's personel history. Following this trend, expect Hogwarts to be of even less importance in VII than it was in HBP.

I think the question at Privet Dr. will be whether the big drama happens in the summer of 1996 or 1997. That will decide whether the pre-17th birthday stay is quick or not.

rhhgrt
September 11th, 2005, 3:34 am
Maybe, since Hermione's parents are dentists, and use drills, and Uncle Vernon runs a drill company, Hermione will say something like, "My parents are dentists, I think thay buy from your company." And then the mugles will get all accomidating.

eVaNeScEnCe
September 11th, 2005, 4:42 am
There are other reasons to suspect that something big will happen at Privet Dr. JKR has stated will see someone attempt to use magic late in life, and Petunia is a candidate: learning that she is one of those Muggles who could have been a Witch but refused to attend Hogwarts would explain a few things about her, both from the books and from JKR's comments. Indeed, there really are not any other good candidates for this task.

I agree that the last visit to the Durselys will be more significant in that we might finally get to see Petunia play a more pivotal role. However, I think her significance will be more directly related to something she will reveal (possibly about Lily or other magical individuals *coughSnapecough*).

Hasn't JKR confirmed in various interviews that Petunia is a muggle in every sense of the word? :huh:

I agree that throwing Ron and Hermione into he mix will certainly make for an interesting scenario. I'd almost completely forgotten about them. Did they say ther were going to stay over though, or just "rescue" Harry from the Durselys? I got the impression of the latter.

Wimsey
September 11th, 2005, 4:52 am
Hasn't JKR confirmed in various interviews that Petunia is a muggle in every sense of the word?

JKR has said that Petunia is a Muggle, but also that a Squib is a very good guess for what she is. JKR also has noted that not everyone invited to Hogwarts chooses to attend. If Petunia was such an individual, then she would be like a Squib in that she is a "failed" witch. Of course, she's really a Muggle because, well, it is our choices that make us what we are more than our abilities!

Someone is supposed to attempt magic late in life. Petunia is one of the only good candidates. This also would explain why Petunia had gotten letters from Dumbledore prior to the note accompanying Harry. So, there is a bit of an Occam's Razor element to this prediction.

Of course, information about Snape also could happen. There is no reason we cannot get both during the stay.

I agree that throwing Ron and Hermione into he mix will certainly make for an interesting scenario. I'd almost completely forgotten about them. Did they say ther were going to stay over though, or just "rescue" Harry from the Durselys? I got the impression of the latter.

They are going to the Dursleys with him.

The Grangers must be fairly liberal parents: they really don't seem to mind their daughter spending so much time relatively unchaperoned with young men her own age!

meesha1971
September 11th, 2005, 5:09 am
I agree with you that Privet Dr. will be in VII. JKR has essentially said that this will be the case.

I agree. I'm looking forward to it.

However, I don't think that what Dudley saw will be important per se, although it might relate to other things that are important. But remember also that JKR seems to like narrative symmetry, and she might choose to end the story where it begins: Privet Dr.

JKR did say we would find out what Dudley saw when the dementors attacked him and Harry. Apparently, it does have some impact on some part of the story.

That, and there is more to learn about Petunia in general. How does she know so much? Why was she in contact with Dumbledore? JKR's comment "She's a muggle...but" only whets the appetite.

There was no reason to include the train ride home in HBP. The story was done, and the denouement was Dumbledore's funeral. Also, keep in mind that critics skewered JKR for OotP's over-long narrative. JKR really wants literary immortality, and another sloppily written book like OotP would risk that. So, HBP was much tighter, and she did not include completely irrelevant things like a train ride home.

Well, the train ride home is not always irrelevant. She usually uses it to wrap things up. HBP ended a little differently - more of a cliffhanger. She did say that HBP and book 7 would be like two halves of the same book. I think book 7 is going to pick up immediately where HBP left off - either with the train ride home or the trio arriving at Privet Dr.

Actually, I see no reason for them to return to Hogwarts except to get information. They are done with classes: they can teach Harry nothing that he needs to know at this point. Also, JKR clearly is bored with writing about them: look at how little time she wasted in HBP's narrative on classes. They have nothing to offer the story or the plot at this point. They have a short amount of time to find and dismantle two Horcruxes, deal with Snape and whatever shocking revelations about Lily we are due to get, and have Harry reach whatever epiphany that he needs to reach to understand what Dumbledore was teaching him. None of that needs to be at Hogwarts.

I'm a staunch believer that they will return to Hogwarts and finish their education. Harry still as A LOT to learn. He needs to master Occlumency. He hasn't even come close to mastering non-verbal spells. He has a lot to learn before he's ready to face Voldemort. I think Snape's cryptic remarks when running from Harry are the clues to that. Harry couldn't even land one spell on Snape. How is he supposed to defeat Voldemort?

The other thing is that I firmly believe that there is a Horcrux hidden at Hogwarts. I think that is why Voldemort wanted to get back into the school so badly. He tried to stay and teach after he graduated and then he came back 10 years later and applied for a teaching position then. He seemed desperate to be at Hogwarts. We know he started making the Horcruxes while he was still in school. I think that, for some reason, he was forced to hide one of his Horcruxes there while he was still in school and wasn't able to retrieve it before he left school - much like Harry hiding the potions book and not being able to go back to get it. The Horcrux is safe as long as nobody knows what he did but, if someone were to figure it out (as Dumbledore did), that Horcrux is not as well protected as the others.

Indeed, the trend has been for Hogwarts to become less and less important to the plot and narrative. In GoF, the A-plot is resolved away from Hogwarts. Ditto for OotP. In HBP, the A-plot takes place almost entirely away from Hogwarts: either in people's memories or in a far-flung cave. LV won't be hiding any Horcruxes in Hogwarts (which would be equivalent to hiding a chicken in a foxes cage!), so look for two more far-flung places from Voldemort's personel history. Following this trend, expect Hogwarts to be of even less importance in VII than it was in HBP.

I disagree. I think Hogwarts is becoming more and more important to the narrative. HBP only reinforced that by showing Voldemort's desire to get back into Hogwarts. JKR has never focused too much attention on their classes - just brief mentions of them with longer dialogues in potions to show Harry's dialogue with Snape. Any class time shown usually furthers the plot somehow - something they learn becomes important to the plot. Hogwarts itself is almost a character in the story. It is very significant to the plot.

There are also still things to be revealed about Hogwarts - particularly in regards to the founders. There have been quite a few clues regarding the founders and how Hogwarts was created. The fight between Slytherin and Gryffindor was emphasized. Dumbledore emphasized the founders again in HBP when he told Harry that Voldemort would have liked the idea of using items from each of the founders to make his Horcruxes.

As I said before, I think Harry needs to return to school in order to prepare to fight Voldemort. He still has a lot to learn before he's ready. I think that the first 10 or 11 chapters of book 7 will focus on the search for the Horcruxes (with minor deviations of them going to the wedding and Godric's Hollow) and then they will discover that one of the Horcruxes is hidden at Hogwarts so Harry will decide to go back.

To top all of that off, there is JKR's comment that she was writing 7 books - one for each year at Hogwarts. That has been the layout for each book. I don't think she will stray too far from that. The school year might be condensed because of the Horcruxes and fighting Voldemort but I think they will definitely go back.

I think the question at Privet Dr. will be whether the big drama happens in the summer of 1996 or 1997. That will decide whether the pre-17th birthday stay is quick or not.

I am wondering how long they will stay at Privet Dr. Dumbledore has never told Harry how long he has to stay there - just that he has to be able to call it home and return there from time to time. In HBP he was only there for two weeks but, with Dumbledore gone, I wonder if that will effect anything? Maybe he could leave after a week or two as long as the Dursleys keep his room as his until his birthday? I'm not sure.

Either way, it will be entertaining to see the trio dealing with the Dursleys and how the Dursleys react.

laugh_a_lot
September 11th, 2005, 3:56 pm
I can see the Dursleys just freaking out when the trio arrives. Both Ron and Hermione are able to preform magic as they are now of age and the Dursleys already know about magic. Uncle Vernon's face will continually be purple from rage while they are there. I'm really looking forward to reading that scene.

Freaky
September 11th, 2005, 4:59 pm
It will be interesting to see whether or not they actually allow Ron and Hermione through the front door - they barely let Harry do so. I think we might see more of Arabella Figg...I'm sure she would be more than happy for them to stay.

I think they feel that the neighbours would be very suspicious if for the first time in 16 years Harry has friends to stay, particularly in light of the fact he is supposed to go to St. Brutus' - I feel they wouldn't be able to explain Ron and Hermione's presence relating to that school, otherwise the neighbours would be very, very unimpressed.

I am wondering how long they will stay at Privet Dr. Dumbledore has never told Harry how long he has to stay there - just that he has to be able to call it home and return there from time to time. In HBP he was only there for two weeks but, with Dumbledore gone, I wonder if that will effect anything? Maybe he could leave after a week or two as long as the Dursleys keep his room as his until his birthday? I'm not sure.

I think even a long weekend would keep the magic going until his 17th birthday. It all seems a bit haphazard to me though, the blood line is supposed to keep him safe so long as he returns home once a year. Why does that not extend to Hogwarts? Harry's been in more dangerous scenarios since going to Hogwarts than EVER in his life. Given that he turns 17 at the end of July, so over a month since the end of school, I just can't see how the protection really works.

meesha1971
September 11th, 2005, 5:24 pm
It will be interesting to see whether or not they actually allow Ron and Hermione through the front door - they barely let Harry do so. I think we might see more of Arabella Figg...I'm sure she would be more than happy for them to stay.

That could be the loophole we are missing. The Dursleys might not be willing to let Ron and Hermione sleep under their roof but they could stay and Ms. Figg's and go to see Harry ever day. It could also be that they allow Ron to stay but not Hermione because she is a girl and Hermione stays with Ms. Figg. We'll just have to wait and see.

I think they feel that the neighbours would be very suspicious if for the first time in 16 years Harry has friends to stay, particularly in light of the fact he is supposed to go to St. Brutus' - I feel they wouldn't be able to explain Ron and Hermione's presence relating to that school, otherwise the neighbours would be very, very unimpressed.

I have no doubt the Dursleys would come up with something. They were creative about getting Dudley's "tail" removed. I don't think they would have much of a choice really. If Ron and Hermione decide they are going to stay, the Dursleys really aren't going to be able to stop them. Hermione might not spend the night there because she is a girl but she would definitely be there each day so they could work on researching the Horcruxes if they stay longer than a few days.

I think even a long weekend would keep the magic going until his 17th birthday. It all seems a bit haphazard to me though, the blood line is supposed to keep him safe so long as he returns home once a year. Why does that not extend to Hogwarts? Harry's been in more dangerous scenarios since going to Hogwarts than EVER in his life. Given that he turns 17 at the end of July, so over a month since the end of school, I just can't see how the protection really works.

I'm not completely sure how his protection works either. I know that it works to keep him safe while he is at Privet Dr. Voldemort said "Even I can't touch him there." I don't think it protects him away from the house. At Hogwarts, he was protected because of all the protection wards in place over the school - plus he was surrounded by the staff - fully grown and trained witches and wizards. There was still a need to add extra protection for him with Order members and Aurors keeping an eye on him. So, I don't think his protection at Privet Dr. extends beyone the Dursleys house.

I think Dumbledore put the protection around the house to keep Harry safe while he was living there because, as a child, he would not be able to protect himself. Once he started going to Hogwarts, he had to return each year to keep the protection around the house charged - giving him a safe place to stay during the holidays. Dumbledore would never allow him to go straight to the Weasleys. Up until HBP, Harry had to spend the majority of the summer had Privet Dr. If a long weekend would suffice, then why didn't Dumbledore let Harry do that before? He could have gone back to the Dursleys, stayed a few days, and then headed to the Burrow.

I don't know. It's all so confusing.

Freaky
September 11th, 2005, 5:31 pm
I'm not completely sure how his protection works either. I know that it works to keep him safe while he is at Privet Dr. Voldemort said "Even I can't touch him there." I don't think it protects him away from the house. At Hogwarts, he was protected because of all the protection wards in place over the school - plus he was surrounded by the staff - fully grown and trained witches and wizards. There was still a need to add extra protection for him with Order members and Aurors keeping an eye on him. So, I don't think his protection at Privet Dr. extends beyone the Dursleys house.

I think Dumbledore put the protection around the house to keep Harry safe while he was living there because, as a child, he would not be able to protect himself. Once he started going to Hogwarts, he had to return each year to keep the protection around the house charged - giving him a safe place to stay during the holidays. Dumbledore would never allow him to go straight to the Weasleys. Up until HBP, Harry had to spend the majority of the summer had Privet Dr. If a long weekend would suffice, then why didn't Dumbledore let Harry do that before? He could have gone back to the Dursleys, stayed a few days, and then headed to the Burrow.

I don't know. It's all so confusing.

No, I know (about the long weekend), but he's been allowed to the World Cup, and then over the last summer he was only there for 2 weeks before being taken to the Weasley's again (although we know he was under strict instructions to not go wandering).

I think what you are saying about the house being protected is probably the case, that if Harry didn't go back on a regular basis then he wouldn't be protected there, ever. But it doesn't make sense that as he only has about a month to go until his 17th birthday that he has to go back for a spell ( :rotfl: ) - can you see him staying there for a month? After his 17th birthday he doesn't have to go back, which makes the need for him to go back this summer odd. I wish the explanation could be clearer from JKR.

meesha1971
September 11th, 2005, 5:42 pm
No, I know (about the long weekend), but he's been allowed to the World Cup, and then over the last summer he was only there for 2 weeks before being taken to the Weasley's again (although we know he was under strict instructions to not go wandering).

I think what you are saying about the house being protected is probably the case, that if Harry didn't go back on a regular basis then he wouldn't be protected there, ever. But it doesn't make sense that as he only has about a month to go until his 17th birthday that he has to go back for a spell ( :rotfl: ) - can you see him staying there for a month? After his 17th birthday he doesn't have to go back, which makes the need for him to go back this summer odd. I wish the explanation could be clearer from JKR.

It's hard to figure out because each book is different. In COS, Ron and the twins broke him out without permission but that was fairly close to the time for school to start I think. In POA, he ran away without permission but, again, it was 3 weeks before school started so he spent the majority of the summer with the Dursleys. In GOF, he was allowed to go to the World Cup and spend the remainder of the summer at the Burrow but, again, it was only 2 weeks before school started.

It seems that, prior to OOTP, Harry had to stay at the Dursleys until 2 or 3 weeks before school started. OOTP broke that trend with Harry only staying there 4 weeks but he was only removed from the Dursleys because of the dementor attack and the fact that he had to go to that hearing. HBP is confusing because Dumbledore comes to get Harry himself after only 2 weeks and allows him to spend almost the entire summer at the Burrow. Then he tells the Dursleys that the protection over Harry ends when he turns 17 and asks them to allow him to stay one more time.

I understand why his protection ends when he turns 17. He will be of age and able to protect himself. But the protection itself is confusing. It appears to just be over Privet Dr. but it isn't clear how long Harry has to stay there or if they can just keep his room for him until his birthday or what.

BookWhizzbee
September 11th, 2005, 6:00 pm
Is anybody here British? When do summer holidays usually start, i.e. how long are they?
There can't be that much time between Harry coming to the Dursley's and Harry coming of age. Why is it so important that he gets those extra days of protection? I don't get it, but I am sure Dumbledore knew why he insisted.

Lairy_Fights
September 11th, 2005, 7:26 pm
Since Book 7 is the last book, and with the nature of the books being what they are, I hope that Harry and the Dursleys find a way to forgive each other, if not completely understand each other. I think Privet Drive will be much less about revenge and much more about catharsis.

meesha1971
September 11th, 2005, 8:11 pm
Is anybody here British? When do summer holidays usually start, i.e. how long are they?
There can't be that much time between Harry coming to the Dursley's and Harry coming of age. Why is it so important that he gets those extra days of protection? I don't get it, but I am sure Dumbledore knew why he insisted.

I don't know about England in general but, the best I can figure out from the books is the Hogwarts school term is from September 2 through June 30. They don't actually have classes on September 1 so I'm not counting that day.

Wimsey
September 11th, 2005, 8:20 pm
The other thing is that I firmly believe that there is a Horcrux hidden at Hogwarts. I think that is why Voldemort wanted to get back into the school so badly.

I have become persuaded by others that the Diary was to be the Hogwarts Horcrux. The overall plot was to get a student to release the Basilisk and then hide the diary in the Chamber.

It almost worked, too!

I disagree. I think Hogwarts is becoming more and more important to the narrative.

Well, it might be important to the story, but its importance to the narrative is a question of "screen time," and Hogwarts screen time has steadily declined.

There are also still things to be revealed about Hogwarts - particularly in regards to the founders. There have been quite a few clues regarding the founders and how Hogwarts was created.

We will learn this only if it is relevant to the story. Moreover, they need not be at Hogwarts to learn these things.

As I said before, I think Harry needs to return to school in order to prepare to fight Voldemort. He still has a lot to learn before he's ready.

There is nothing anyone at Hogwarts can teach Harry anymore. They've taught him how to do Occlumency and non-verbal spells: Harry has to master it. It's like being a music teacher: you can show someone how a song is played, but you cannot actually teach them to play it. The student must master than on his/her own.

However, nothing that anyone else can teach him will help. If they taught spells that could defeat Voldemort, then someone would have done so already. Harry has to figure out on his own how "love" will defeat Voldemort: Hogwarts does not have a class for that (even if it does have spare classrooms for snogging!).

To top all of that off, there is JKR's comment that she was writing 7 books - one for each year at Hogwarts. That has been the layout for each book. I don't think she will stray too far from that. The school year might be condensed because of the Horcruxes and fighting Voldemort but I think they will definitely go back.

Well, she could not very well say that the last year would not be at Hogwarts prior to HBP, could she! I look at it in reverse: Hogwarts has constrained the plots too much, and JKR has had to stretch to get the plots out of Hogwarts in GoF, OotP and HBP. Now she has a ready-made reason to not restrict the plot.

Harry was not safeguarded while visiting the Weasleys: Dumbledore makes that pretty clear. It must only work in or around Privet Dr.

Freaky
September 11th, 2005, 10:58 pm

Most public British schools start from about the first week in September and go through to the last week of July but they get regular holidays e.g., one week in October, two weeks in December, one week in February, two weeks over Easter, one week in May/June and then approximately 6 weeks over the summer.

Hogwarts only gets Christmas and Easter so they break up a lot earlier for the summer. Dudley goes to a private school (again which is a boarding school) so they may not get all the half terms (the one week holidays). i had the feeling that they broke up towards the end of June so they have 2 months of holidays over the summer.

BookWhizzbee
September 11th, 2005, 11:07 pm
Thanks for all the replies!

So that means DD wants Harry to go back to Privet Drive so he gets an additional month of protection, which also only works as long as he IS in Privet Drive?
Frankly, that seems a bit stupid!

Do we know if that protection is any good for Harry outside of Privet Drive?

Wimsey
September 11th, 2005, 11:35 pm

Dumbledore did not think that it extended beyond Privet Dr., and he would know better than anybody else.

Katie_Luvs_HP
September 11th, 2005, 11:44 pm
This should be very interesting. the idea of three magical people at the dursley's home is just histerical! I hope they would find out more from petunia at that time! I think she is holding a lot of secrets, and I want to know them!! lol

surrypotter
September 12th, 2005, 5:32 am
Thanks for all the replies!

So that means DD wants Harry to go back to Privet Drive so he gets an additional month of protection, which also only works as long as he IS in Privet Drive?
Frankly, that seems a bit stupid!

I was thinking that the time spent at his Aunt's house sort of rejuvinated the protection, it obviously extends outside of Privet Drive, or Quirrelmort would have been able to touch him without a problem, right?

BookWhizzbee
September 12th, 2005, 10:19 am
Yeah, but the 'not being able to touch' thing got lost in GoF, didn't it?

Morgan LeFay
September 12th, 2005, 1:25 pm
Yeah, but the 'not being able to touch' thing got lost in GoF, didn't it?
But in Ootp, when Uncle Vernon tried to suffocate Harry, he got a bit of ellectric shock, right? So I think Harry can't be hurt in any way "as long as he can call Privet Drive his home". When he's at Hogwarts, he feels there at home, and we all know that there is also ancient magic around castle, just like the one Lily put on Harry.

As for Ron and Hermione, I just can't wait to see it!

meesha1971
September 12th, 2005, 2:41 pm
I have become persuaded by others that the Diary was to be the Hogwarts Horcrux. The overall plot was to get a student to release the Basilisk and then hide the diary in the Chamber.

It almost worked, too!

Well, the diary wasn't actually hidden at Hogwarts. Voldemort took the diary with him and left it in the safekeeping of Lucius Malfoy. Apparently they had a plan to use the diary to open the chamber again but it wasn't actually hidden there.

I think that is why Voldemort was so anxious to get back into the school. I think he made three Horcruxes while he was at Hogwarts. I think he made the ring a Horcrux first - he was wearing the ring in Slughorn's memory which would have coincided with the timing of the events of the chamber being opened while Tom Riddle was a student. He had just found out he was Slytherin's heir and it was either that school year or the following year that he opened the chamber. He wasn't wearing the ring when he came out of the diary in COS - he had already made it a Horcrux and hidden it when he made the diary. So, the diary was probably the second Horcrux created with a dual purpose - it was a Horcrux and a means to possess someone to open the chamber later on.

The third Horcrux made is the one I believe is still hidden at Hogwarts. I think Tom managed to "acquire" an artifact that belonged to Rowena Ravenclaw while he was still at school. For whatever reason, he was forced to hide this Horcrux before he left Hogwarts - I think he probably murdered someone to get it and couldn't risk having it in his possession. I think he hid it in the Room of Requirement much like Harry did the potions book. JKR describes that particular room in great detail - including several items that are hidden there and Harry notes that it appears that students have been using that room to hide things for years. The best candidate, IMO, is the tiara that Harry uses to mark his hiding spot. That would be the type of ironic twist JKR would use. The Vanishing Cabinet that played such a big part in HBP was mentioned in a similar incongruous manner in COS and OOTP.

Well, it might be important to the story, but its importance to the narrative is a question of "screen time," and Hogwarts screen time has steadily declined.

We will learn this only if it is relevant to the story. Moreover, they need not be at Hogwarts to learn these things.

I disagree. Hogwarts has played a significant role in the story and I think it will continue to do so. I could be wrong but it just seems to me that HBP only stressed the importance of Hogwarts. It wouldn't be the first time that Harry has said he is or isn't going to do something only to be forced to change his mind later. In POA, Harry was quite adamant that he was not going back to the Dursleys. In the end, he ended up going back to them anyway.

There is nothing anyone at Hogwarts can teach Harry anymore. They've taught him how to do Occlumency and non-verbal spells: Harry has to master it. It's like being a music teacher: you can show someone how a song is played, but you cannot actually teach them to play it. The student must master than on his/her own.

Oh, I totally disagree on this one. Snape didn't actually teach Harry anything about Occlumency. He just told him to clear his mind and then attacked him with Leglimens. He was not taught any techniques or skills to help him master Occlumency. Someone will have to teach him that. There is still a lot that Harry needs to learn - if what you say is true then why have any of the students come back for a seventh year? Even Fred and George went through most of their seventh year before they left - they left shortly before the end of year exams. I agree that Harry could teach himself certain things or at least master what he's already been taught but I think he still has a lot to learn. For some reason, I just don't see JKR advocating kids to drop out of school. Fred and George were a special case - they went through the majority of the final year. They just didn't take the NEWTs. They didn't need the NEWTs for their chosen career.

However, nothing that anyone else can teach him will help. If they taught spells that could defeat Voldemort, then someone would have done so already. Harry has to figure out on his own how "love" will defeat Voldemort: Hogwarts does not have a class for that (even if it does have spare classrooms for snogging!).

Again, I have to disagree. I'm not saying he will learn a particular spell that will be the key to defeating Voldemort. I'm saying he needs to be a fully trained wizard in order to even have a chance - Dumbledore basically told Harry that. There are simply some things that he will not be able to teach himself. I've seen a lot of theories and fanfictions where Hermione discovers some type of spell - either for protection or just a spell that will kill him - and the trio goes on to win. I don't see it happening that way. I think they will need all the knowledge they can going in. They aren't just going to be fighting Voldemort. They have to fight the DE's, inferi, dementors, and whatever other creatures Voldemort has in his service. They have to kill Nagini. I think it is going to be a major battle and it is probably going to end with Harry killing Voldemort in some simple way - like using Gryffindor's sword or something.

Well, she could not very well say that the last year would not be at Hogwarts prior to HBP, could she! I look at it in reverse: Hogwarts has constrained the plots too much, and JKR has had to stretch to get the plots out of Hogwarts in GoF, OotP and HBP. Now she has a ready-made reason to not restrict the plot.

No but she didn't have to say that it was going to be one book for each school year either. She could have simply said she was going to write seven books and that was it. She included the fact that it would be one book for each school year. Given her interview style, I think that is a good indication that they will be back at Hogwarts for their seventh year.

Harry was not safeguarded while visiting the Weasleys: Dumbledore makes that pretty clear. It must only work in or around Privet Dr.

That's what I'm thinking. I think Harry going back to Privet Dr. each summer recharges the protection around the house itself - not Harry.

MoonCrystal
September 12th, 2005, 3:43 pm
:clap: I do not know how it´s going to be, but on thing for sure
It is going to be so much fun reading it :rotfl: :elaugh: :lol:

Wimsey
September 12th, 2005, 11:32 pm
Well, the diary wasn't actually hidden at Hogwarts. Voldemort took the diary with him and left it in the safekeeping of Lucius Malfoy. Apparently they had a plan to use the diary to open the chamber again but it wasn't actually hidden there.

It is very unlikely that the Diary was a Horcrux when LV left school, so he would not have left it there. It is most likely that he had created only one Horcrux when he stole The plan with Malfoy was to get it back into the school after it was one. One thing that happened was that the Diary ended up in the Chamber; given that the Diary drained the possessed of their lives, and that they'd want the basilisk set loose then, too, it seems very plausible that the plan was two-fold: unleash the basilisk to usurp DD, and put the Diary out of reach in the Chamber.

I think that is why Voldemort was so anxious to get back into the school. I think he made three Horcruxes while he was at Hogwarts. I think he made the ring a Horcrux first - he was wearing the ring in Slughorn's memory which would have coincided with the timing of the events of the chamber being opened while Tom Riddle was a student.

He stopped wearing the Ring after it became a Horcrux, or so Dumbledore thought. The Diary was just a magical diary until much later. As we have no evidence of any Ravenclaw artifacts (people have desperately suggested tiaras and wands, but, unlike the locket, JKR has not distinguished them in any way that would let Harry recognize them), there is no reason to think that LV found anything there. Moreover, remember that DD thinks that it was the encounter with Hepzibah that planted the idea in LV's head to use Founders relics. LV had used one already by coincidence; it was after that time that LV began to hunt for Ravenclaw & Gryff. artifacts.

Also, remember that JKR has provided us with a yardstick for how many Horcruxes LV has created by any point in time. As LV creates Horcruxes, he becomes physically more and more distorted. LV is undistorted while still wearing the Ring and still trying to find out what Horcruxes are and how to make them. LV has undergone vera little physical distortion 2-3 years after Hogwarts: he just had occassionally red eyes. 10 yearslater, he had a melted visage and permanently red eyes. After 5 Horcruxes, he was snake-like.

This suggests only a single Horcrux (the Ring) was made when LV murdered Smith, as he was barely distorted. He made 2-3 more over the next 10 years (Locket, Cup and maybe Diary), resulting in a highly deformed individual. It's a tough call, but I'd lean towards only 3 at this time: Harry's description sounds as if LV is more than one Horcrux away from "classic" LV that fell at Godrics Hollow.

I disagree. Hogwarts has played a significant role in the story and I think it will continue to do so. I could be wrong but it just seems to me that HBP only stressed the importance of Hogwarts.

It was important for understanding LV. However, it was less important to the plot and narrative (and story) than every before. Almost everything of importance happened outside of Hogwarts.

Oh, I totally disagree on this one. Snape didn't actually teach Harry anything about Occlumency. He just told him to clear his mind and then attacked him with Leglimens. He was not taught any techniques or skills to help him master Occlumency.

Clearing your mind of emotion is the technique and skill that is needed! JKR has stated that this is not a particular skill of Harry's: he wears his heart on his sleeve. Of course, Harry's big problem is that he never really tried: he was so full of anger and hatred, and so fixated on those emotions in his isolation, AND he was so curious about what he was gleaning from LV, that Harry put zero effort into it.

It is like teaching someone to meditate: you tell them what to do. You cannot show them: they do it or they do not.

There is still a lot that Harry needs to learn - if what you say is true then why have any of the students come back for a seventh year?

Most people go back because they need NEWTs for their future career. Harry does not need NEWTs. Fred & George only returned for Quidditch and to start selling joke items.

Again, I have to disagree. I'm not saying he will learn a particular spell that will be the key to defeating Voldemort. I'm saying he needs to be a fully trained wizard in order to even have a chance - Dumbledore basically told Harry that.

Harry's skill and natural talents at DADA probably surpasses that of most NEWT grads. Hermione's skills at Runes and Arithmency probably surpass that of most NEWT grads, too. They have enough.

Also, it is not given that they necessarily will be fighting many people or things. Their mission is one of stealth.

No but she didn't have to say that it was going to be one book for each school year either. She could have simply said she was going to write seven books and that was it. She included the fact that it would be one book for each school year. Given her interview style, I think that is a good indication that they will be back at Hogwarts for their seventh year.

The school year will continue, with or without Harry! Well, it will if Hogwarts reopens....

surrypotter
September 13th, 2005, 12:12 am
May I ask? What does the diary being at Hogwarts or being a Horcrux have to do with Hermione and Ron being at Privet drive?

Wimsey
September 13th, 2005, 12:25 am
May I ask? What does the diary being at Hogwarts or being a Horcrux have to do with Hermione and Ron being at Privet drive? [/font]

Good point! They really have to do with Harry being at Hogwarts, which stemmed from the discussion of Harry being at Privet Dr.

If I recall, meesha1971's idea about what would be done at Privet Dr. assumes that Harry will be returning as a student. My different idea assumes that Harry will not be returning as a student.

Remember, proofs do need and/or spawn lemmas and corollaries!

meesha1971
September 13th, 2005, 12:50 am
Good point! They really have to do with Harry being at Hogwarts, which stemmed from the discussion of Harry being at Privet Dr.

If I recall, meesha1971's idea about what would be done at Privet Dr. assumes that Harry will be returning as a student. My different idea assumes that Harry will not be returning as a student.

Remember, proofs do need and/or spawn lemmas and corollaries!

We did get a little side tracked didn't we? Oh well, I think we'll have to agree to disagree about that anyway. I don't really understand the British educational system well enough. Maybe the seventh year is like going to college in the US.

Harry's skills in DADA aside, I still think he has a lot to learn. If he goes into a fight against Voldemort and does as badly as he did against Snape, he won't win. He won't stand a chance.

Anyway, back on topic. I am really looking forward to seeing what happens when Ron and Hermione go to Privet Dr. with Harry. Whether they actually stay there or just visit him during the day, it will be amusing.

surrypotter
September 13th, 2005, 1:08 am
I'm interested really in seeing Hermione's reaction to Dudley. (tee hee :evil: ) Mainly because she tends to think that everyone's ultimately good until it's proven they're completely evil. (with the exception of Umbridge, which she saw right through from the begining) However, On the flipside ... we could see a softer side of Dudley too, maybe he has also matured this year?

Kanelle
September 13th, 2005, 1:34 am
I'm interested really in seeing Hermione's reaction to Dudley. (tee hee :evil: ) Mainly because she tends to think that everyone's ultimately good until it's proven they're completely evil. (with the exception of Umbridge, which she saw right through from the begining) However, On the flipside ... we could see a softer side of Dudley too, maybe he has also matured this year?

Actually he may have already matured as a result of the dementor attack. The books haven't shown anything from him sense the attack except him basically him trying to avoiding anyone magic (Kreatcher, Dumbledore, the order members at the end of OOtP).

Wimsey
September 13th, 2005, 4:05 am
Harry's skills in DADA aside, I still think he has a lot to learn. If he goes into a fight against Voldemort and does as badly as he did against Snape, he won't win. He won't stand a chance.

Harry won't fight LV like he fought Snape. Besides, after Snape's lesson, Harry is bound to work on perfecting Occlumency and Non-Verbal spells.

Anyway, back on topic. I am really looking forward to seeing what happens when Ron and Hermione go to Privet Dr. with Harry. Whether they actually stay there or just visit him during the day, it will be amusing.

Hmmm, well, I cannot see Ron & Hermione just staying a local inn or hotel! What might be funny is how the Dursleys react to Hermione's parents not minding Hermione.

Again, the real question is whether any big revelations from Petunia will come then or later. That is entirely at JKR's discretion: she can wrap up Privet Dr. immediately, or she can provide a symmetrical narrative that ends where it begins. We do have some questions regarding Petunia that need to be answered, and they really are issues that require some impetus, such as Death Eaters near Privet Dr.

balikitty
September 13th, 2005, 4:22 am
There has been a thread surmising that Hermione is Harry's older sister by 10.5 months. It would be hysterical if that was true and Petunia got to meet her neice as a full fledged witch. Wouldn't the Dursley's be really thrilled to have Petunia's side of the family there!

Wimsey
September 13th, 2005, 5:13 am
There has been a thread surmising that Hermione is Harry's older sister by 10.5 months. It would be hysterical if that was true and Petunia got to meet her neice as a full fledged witch. Wouldn't the Dursley's be really thrilled to have Petunia's side of the family there!

JKR has stated that Hermione has no siblings, so this idea is pure fan-fiction.

Petunia will find Hermione offensive and distressing enough as it is, especially as Hermione is bound to attempt to be friendly.

Hmm.... I wonder what Dudley's reaction will be? Hermione is not supposed to be gorgeous, but she is supposed to be fairly pretty, at least when she is not having bad hair days.

surrypotter
September 13th, 2005, 5:38 am
JKR has stated that Hermione has no siblings, so this idea is pure fan-fiction.

Petunia will find Hermione offensive and distressing enough as it is, especially as Hermione is bound to attempt to be friendly.

Hmm.... I wonder what Dudley's reaction will be? Hermione is not supposed to be gorgeous, but she is supposed to be fairly pretty, at least when she is not having bad hair days.
I'm not stalking you I swear Wimsey lol ... but I agree, I think that Hermione is going to make Dudley sort of dumbstruck and she is seriously going to go off on him about something, because he's an idiot .. and a prat of course ... but it's going to be something that's sooo mundane and she'll be all all "know-it-all" like. I think it'll be quite humorous. As far as Ron goes ... he'll probably just mutter obscenities under his breath. .oO (my what an over grown git ... blah blah). It'll be interesting nonetheless. :)

pixey
September 13th, 2005, 5:57 am
I agrree! I cant wait to read these scenes! Harry is a man on a mission and we know that there will be a discussion on DD when he arrives back at the Dursleys. Then for Harry to bring Ron and Hermione! Hopefully Vernon will not be there for this discussion as he would freak and I dont think that Petunia would open up as much if he is. Dudley will probably be totally enamored with Hermione which will irritate Ron, Hermione and ol Mom and Dad! That would also add some great comedy to the scenes.

cedesalexis
September 13th, 2005, 6:04 am
I think Ron and Hermione will be there, but I am not sure they will be there the entire stay. I think Harry will stay more than one day, so I think Ron and Hermione may only be there 1 or 2 nights. Hermione, being muggle born, will help Ron fit in to a muggle house. I think Hermione, as much as she knows about the Dursley being rude to Harry, will kill them with kindness so to speak. But wouldn't hesitate to threaten or use magic if she needed to.

Wimsey
September 13th, 2005, 6:23 am
I'm not stalking you I swear Wimsey lol ...

I am asking the mods for a restraining order, nevertheless! :cool:

but I agree, I think that Hermione is going to make Dudley sort of dumbstruck and she is seriously going to go off on him about something, because he's an idiot .. and a prat of course ... .... As far as Ron goes ... he'll probably just mutter obscenities under his breath. .oO (my what an over grown git ... blah blah). It'll be interesting nonetheless. :)

Realistically, the two of them could "humanize" wizards in the Dursley's minds. They expect freaks. Petunia hated Lily with an unreasoning hatred, and it is possible that she met other wizards (e.g., that "awful boy") who did little to make her feel comfortable.

This might provide an opening for Petunia to start talking. Alternatively, she might start raging; Hermione, having just a bit more clue about other peoples states of mind than does Harry or Ron, might seize upon something and lead Petunia to reveal some pertinent information.

heh, it is a good thing Ginny won't be there: they'd never get the bat-bogeys off of Dudley!

Lady_Weasley
September 13th, 2005, 10:12 am
Sorry if this has been posted, but everyone should see this wonderful fanart by an artist named Ninny Treetops:
http://www.artisticalley.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=11705&si=ron%20hermione
It's a drawing of Ron and Hermione (hopefully) showing up at Privet Drive, and it has hilarious details. It had to be shared with this thread, enjoy! ;)

meesha1971
September 13th, 2005, 2:07 pm
Harry won't fight LV like he fought Snape. Besides, after Snape's lesson, Harry is bound to work on perfecting Occlumency and Non-Verbal spells.

We'll just have to wait and see. Personally, I hope they do return to school and get their NEWTs. It would be cool for Ron and Harry to become aurors.

Hmmm, well, I cannot see Ron & Hermione just staying a local inn or hotel! What might be funny is how the Dursleys react to Hermione's parents not minding Hermione.

Actually, I was thinking of Ms. Figg. Someone pointed that out a while back. Ms. Figg lives nearby and is a possibility for them to have a place to stay. I think they will stay at the Dursleys but that is another option.

Again, the real question is whether any big revelations from Petunia will come then or later. That is entirely at JKR's discretion: she can wrap up Privet Dr. immediately, or she can provide a symmetrical narrative that ends where it begins. We do have some questions regarding Petunia that need to be answered, and they really are issues that require some impetus, such as Death Eaters near Privet Dr.

Yes! And there is the comment about someone doing magic late in life. Petunia could be that person. I wonder how Petunia will react to the news of Dumbledore's death.

Realistically, the two of them could "humanize" wizards in the Dursley's minds. They expect freaks. Petunia hated Lily with an unreasoning hatred, and it is possible that she met other wizards (e.g., that "awful boy") who did little to make her feel comfortable.

This might provide an opening for Petunia to start talking. Alternatively, she might start raging; Hermione, having just a bit more clue about other peoples states of mind than does Harry or Ron, might seize upon something and lead Petunia to reveal some pertinent information.

heh, it is a good thing Ginny won't be there: they'd never get the bat-bogeys off of Dudley!

I doubt anyone could "humanize" the Dursleys. I think it is more likely that Petunia will start raging. I like the idea of Hermione picking something up that the other's miss. I'm dying to know what Petunia's "secret" is.

Sorry if this has been posted, but everyone should see this wonderful fanart by an artist named Ninny Treetops:
http://www.artisticalley.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=11705&si=ron%20hermione
It's a drawing of Ron and Hermione (hopefully) showing up at Privet Drive, and it has hilarious details. It had to be shared with this thread, enjoy! ;)

I loved it! Absolutely priceless. I don't think either of them would be that obvious but that is just so funny. :rotfl:

HMN
September 13th, 2005, 6:31 pm
...Realistically, the two of them could "humanize" wizards in the Dursley's minds. They expect freaks. Petunia hated Lily with an unreasoning hatred, and it is possible that she met other wizards (e.g., that "awful boy") who did little to make her feel comfortable.

When Hermione starts talking about her ski trips and her dentist parents, I'm sure the Dursely's will fall in love with her. I can see Hermione showing up to Privet Drive first and there is a nice long dinner where Hermione gets some info out of Petunia by being all polite and proper and mugglish. Then Ron shows up, does some magic and they all scramble out of there laughing. Of course Hermione says "Didn't you hear what she was saying..." to help Harry and Ron sort it all out.

Wimsey
September 13th, 2005, 7:07 pm
We'll just have to wait and see. Personally, I hope they do return to school and get their NEWTs. It would be cool for Ron and Harry to become aurors.

There is nothing that says that they cannot return to school after the story is over. Besides, if they survive this, then they'll pass their NEWTs without problem.

Actually, I was thinking of Ms. Figg. Someone pointed that out a while back. Ms. Figg lives nearby and is a possibility for them to have a place to stay. I think they will stay at the Dursleys but that is another option.

That is a possibility!

When Hermione starts talking about her ski trips and her dentist parents, I'm sure the Dursely's will fall in love with her. I can see Hermione showing up to Privet Drive first and there is a nice long dinner where Hermione gets some info out of Petunia by being all polite and proper and mugglish.

The Dursleys won't fall in love with Hermione. They will view her initially as a freak, and all the more so because Hermione could have led a normal life if she had chosen to do so.

Still, prolonged exposure to Hermione might open their eyes a little. It is a long shot, to be certain.

meesha1971
September 13th, 2005, 7:47 pm
There is nothing that says that they cannot return to school after the story is over. Besides, if they survive this, then they'll pass their NEWTs without problem.

I'm probably too wrapped up in the US school system. Dropping out at 16 is just a terrible thing to me. But I read somewhere that Rupert Grint finished school at 16 - I think that's right. It just seems odd to me.

I could understand Fred and George leaving - they had pretty much completed their seventh year and the NEWTs don't exactly cover business management.

I'm just hoping she sticks with the current pattern of the books - at least the pattern for GOF and OOTP where they didn't go back until like chapter 10 or 11. I like the idea of them protecting the school - basically, that's what they have been doing for the past 6 years.

And there is the fact that Voldemort wants to get into the school. I still think it's because a Horcrux is hidden there but, if there is another reason, what could it be? What could he want from Hogwarts so badly that he was angry enough to curse the DADA position?

That is a possibility!

I can't remember who mentioned that but, I like it. It could play out several ways - Ron and Hermione stay at Ms. Figg's and visit during the day or Hermione stays at Ms. Figg's because it would be inappropriate for her to "spend the night" with Harry and Ron and she visits during the day.

The Dursleys won't fall in love with Hermione. They will view her initially as a freak, and all the more so because Hermione could have led a normal life if she had chosen to do so.

Still, prolonged exposure to Hermione might open their eyes a little. It is a long shot, to be certain.

I'm not holding my breath for the Dursleys to become open-minded. They've already met Ron and Hermione - at the end of OOTP Ron and Hermione were there with the Weasleys, Lupin, Tonks, and Mad-Eye when they had the "little chat" with the Dursleys regarding Harry's treatment. Ron has actually been to their house so I'm sure they'll recognize him and most likely will recognize Hermione from the platform.

They will hold the fact that Hermione is a witch against her - probably the fact that she is friends with Harry too. I think Hermione might help with getting information from Petunia though.

Queen_Beruth
September 13th, 2005, 8:30 pm
Well, no-one is leaving school to bum around!

I'm half expecting an attack on Privet Drive at one second past midnight on Harry's birthday, when the protection ends. It may be then that the late bloomer (i.e. Petunia) attempts magic in defence of her family.