Will (and how) Harry Kill Voldemort in the end?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Padfoot19
July 20th, 2005, 1:37 am
This is not a question of if yiou think Harry will die or whether Voldemort. this thread is designed to ask, If given the chance in the end will Harry kill Voldemort?

Dumbledore was always said that there are worst things than death. this leads me to question if Harry would kill Voldemort or find something else. Also i think that JKR will not have Harry kill anyone. She will want to make him seem more Heroic by not tarnishing his reputation.

Finally, Dumbledore has said that the prophecy does not have to come true. He states that not all the Prophecies have been forfilled. i think it is a matter of choice for Harry.

Well thats my theory, so what do you guys think? Do you think that Harry would kill Voldemort even if he had the chance?

CatellaAurum
July 20th, 2005, 1:47 am
"Neither can live while the other survives."
yes I do think that given the chance, Harry will kill Voldemort because the prophecy said so and because Voldemort and his followers have taken all the parent and menor figures out of his life. Voldemort has tried to make life unbearabel for Harry. I don't think that killing Voldemort will tarnish his reputation as everyone hates and fears Voldemort. Any way Dumbledore had to kill a dark wizard in the past and was setting Harry up to kill Voldemort by searching for the Horcruxes.

sarcasticx514
July 20th, 2005, 1:50 am
It has to be done. Nobody else would be able to do it, so Harry either will most likey kill him and survive, or kills Voldemort but winds up dying also...

mao
July 20th, 2005, 1:53 am
this is also my opinion, Harry will kill LV coz of the prophecy and though it may not be the worst thing LV will think it IS the worst thing. We know that: There is nothing worse than death, Dumbledore, he said!

johnnyandme
July 20th, 2005, 1:59 am
the prophecy does not say kill persay though and i dont think harry has it in him to kill. does someone have the exact meaning of vanquish?? maybe harry can find another way to vanquish the dark lord other than the avada kedavra. i think love will save him in the end its just how he applies it....... i can t wait for book 7

Overtakerx
July 20th, 2005, 2:21 am
hm
never occurred to you guys that JK can and might leave the story in a stagnant ending, ie: none of them died yet but HP is as powerful as LV by the end of the 7th book

I've read at least a book that gives stagnant ending, it's ******* me off

clairebear21
July 20th, 2005, 3:19 am
Yes Dumbledore said it was a choice what Harry did
but i doubt very much that Harry would just leave voldemort to reek havoc
he will want revenge on the one person who has taken so much away from him since birth.

doadpadfoot
July 20th, 2005, 3:28 am
for me, the answer to this is still open. jkr likes to create cliffhangers, but then there are times when she doesn't. i believe hp wil kill voldy in book 7, but i still don't quite know..... :huh:

amz
July 20th, 2005, 2:06 pm
Harry HAS to kill him. He just has to. It wouldn't be cricket if Harry died. Harry CAN'T die. Harry is a legacy, there has to be a (relative) good ending.

RemusLupinFan
July 20th, 2005, 7:59 pm
I believe that in the end, Harry will do what's necessary, even if that means killing Voldemort. Now that we know about the Horcruxes and the fact that Voldemort himself is the final Horcrux, it doesn't seem likely that Harry will just be able to bring about Voldemort's death through an indirect means, but I'm still going to hope for such an outcome.

Durus
July 20th, 2005, 8:04 pm
She will want to make him seem more Heroic by not tarnishing his reputation.

I don't think it would tarnish Harry's reputation to kill Voldemort.

FenixThom
July 20th, 2005, 8:55 pm
Personally, I think that Harry will not kill Voldemort. I think he will weaken him to the point of Voldemort knowing that he has been beaten and could be killed. At this point Harry will not want to become like him by killing someone. He will show him mercy out of the love in his heart. To Voldemort this will be something worse than death as he has never had anyone show love to him. Thus, not being able to stand it as a result the last fragment of soul that Voldemort has will be released and Voldemort will "die".

indreams
July 20th, 2005, 9:37 pm
i think that harry will find some way to defeat LV without killing him. i dont see harry as a murderer and i dont want to see him become one. maybe it wont be killing, but weakened to a point that he does die. if that makes sense. basically i dont want to see him use the unforgivable curse to kill LV, but if he does it in another way it would be better. if this makes any sense...

Goriilaz
July 20th, 2005, 9:39 pm
yes it is inevitable

ramones
July 20th, 2005, 9:44 pm
A part of me believes that Harry will not use the AK curse on LV. I'm not sure of why exactly, it's more a gut feeling. But whatever happens at the end, it needs to completely destroy LV, it needs to be permanent. Perhaps Harry could push him through the veil, even though that seems unlikely.

Durus
July 20th, 2005, 9:51 pm
I think that the HP series has shown too much moral clarity to get bogged down with wishy washy moral equivalancy arguements like...

Harry killing Voldemort = Voldemort killing Lilly

I don't think it would fit into what JKR has written to this point.

Yeats
July 20th, 2005, 9:51 pm
I think LV needs to be destroyed, but I don't think Harry will kill him. Perhaps he will destroy all the horcruxes, and then when LV is mortal again, he will somehow kill or destroy himself?

The reasons I don't think Harry will kill LV (as in use the Aveda Kedavra spell) are 1.) No members of the OoTP have used the spell--it is an unforgiveable curse. (although Sirius & Lupin seemed ready to use it in POA, on Pettigrew)
2.) Dumbledore said love is the strongest weapon-not hate. Somehow Harry's capacity to love will be the downfall of LV. I think JKR has hinted at this throughout, especially with how others--Lily, Dumbledore--have sacrificed their lives for Harry.They've shown strength in nontypical ways. 3.) I can't really back this up, but I don't see Harry pointing his wand at LV and saying 'Aveda Kedavra'. It's got to be trickier, or more sophisticated, than that. Using that spell is using the weapon of the DE's, not the Order.

the prophecy does not say kill persay though and i dont think harry has it in him to kill. does someone have the exact meaning of vanquish?? maybe harry can find another way to vanquish the dark lord other than the avada kedavra. i think love will save him in the end its just how he applies it....... i can t wait for book 7

Iago515
July 21st, 2005, 11:11 am
Not having seen this thread, I opened my own thread, it was closed, so I'll repost it here:

Voldemort's Death

After a long and difficult battle, Harry finally disarms (or is that diswands?) Voldemort. Voldemort looks Harry in the eye and says, "Go ahead, I'm defeated, finish me off."

Harry, suddenly becomes calm, and says "No, Tom, I'm not like you. You'll be brought in front of the Wizengamot and spend the rest of your life in Azkaban. Perhaps the Dementors will even give you a kiss. I'm sure they would relish that.

A look of shock comes over Voldemorts face, anything but a kiss. He decides to take the other way out, after all, he has 4 more Horcruxes. He grabs the only thing he has left, the sword of Gryffindor and plunges it deep inside him, as life drains out of his body, he looks up, eyes bright with disbelief, suddenly aware of his loss.

Ok, a bit melodramatic, but Harry is NOT going to kill Voldemort and I think this is the most logical way for it to happen. Voldemort would rather die than be put into prison or have the kiss administered to him; after all, he believes he can come back and I'm sure this time he's made arrangements for it to happen much smoother than last time. There is no indication throughout any of the books that any of TOotP memebers would actually kill. Hell, Dumbledore didn't even like the Dementors. Of course there is a flaw in my theory: I just reread the prophecy and it says "...one must die at the hand of the other." Nevertheless, Rowling will work around that without Harry actually killing Voldemort.

Redora_5
July 21st, 2005, 11:27 am
I think, somehow, that the killing curse rebounds on Voldemort, as it did when Harry was a baby. Or, if not that curse, something like that happens. Or maybe after Voldemort is completely defeated Harry shows him mercy of some sort, and Voldemort tries one last desperate gamble and loses. Dumbledore has said that Voldemort cannot possess Harry without "enduring mortal agony." Maybe that pain is enough to kill him? He tries to get into Harry's mind to take control, and it won't work. Something like that is what I hope happens, as I don't believe that Harry could kill and keep his soul and remain "untarnished and whole." (both quotes are taken from page 511, American version)

Jera
July 21st, 2005, 11:54 am
Personally, I think that Harry will not kill Voldemort. I think he will weaken him to the point of Voldemort knowing that he has been beaten and could be killed. At this point Harry will not want to become like him by killing someone. He will show him mercy out of the love in his heart. To Voldemort this will be something worse than death as he has never had anyone show love to him. Thus, not being able to stand it as a result the last fragment of soul that Voldemort has will be released and Voldemort will "die".
or, Harry buys LV's last fragment of soul for $5. :rotfl: :p

good theory there. now where have i heard it before... sounds like a predictable outcome. :tu:

clampdown
July 21st, 2005, 1:21 pm
I'm thinking he will kill voldemort - not because he's evil, he's not, and not because the prophecy say's so, it's been established that Harry could turn his back on the prophecy - but I think given the situation he is in and when dealing with a person so devoid of remorse and so captivated by power and evil, Harry cannot afford to be noble and merciful with Voldemort. Some say love will save him and this love will prevent him murdering, I think it's more a case that his ability to love has already saved him in a different way though - saved him from the dark side - he has kept his morals, his hate of evil and a pure heart despite everthing, his love for his parents kept his desire to do good and oppose evil strong, which was something Voldemort knows nothing about and does not care for, so he underestimates it – therefore this gives Harry an advantage over Voldemort. Dumbledores has said many times that his ability to love is his greatest strength; it's what kept him from not straying over to the dark side, he has made the right decisions in difficult times and has not been lured towards power. His ability to love meant that "..even after all the temptation you have endured, all the suffering, you remain pure of heart.." This is Harry's strength - his values, morals and desire (out of love) to avenge his parents deaths. What I'm trying to say is I interpreted the 'love will save him' as 'his love was always present has already saved him' his strong desire to do good (out of love) has given him the foundations for the man he needs to/will be to defeat Voldemort in his weakest area –love- and so enabling him to rise above Voldemort and defeat evil for good.

You still reading!? :lol: :blush:
Wow, rambled quite abit there, I’m probably wrong here but oh well.

kk10
July 21st, 2005, 4:59 pm
I also do not believe Harry himself will kill Voldemort.
1/ Most importantly, because the 6th book stressed that killing was the very worst.
... an act of evil -- the supreme act of evil. By committing murder. Killing rips the soul apart. HBP, pg 498 The book also explained that ... the soul is supposed to remain intact and whole. Splitting it is an act of violation, it is against nature. HBP, pg 498
That said, could JP really let Harry, the hero, commit a supreme act of evil and split his soul? I can't believe that.
2/ DD stressed that many prophecies don't come true, that this one did only because LV believed it and made it so. Thus, Harry does not himself have to kill LV. Besides, where would the lesson of love come in if he did?

Harry may be a normal person complete with flaws, but the entire series seems to teach that choice, not destiny, and love are what set aside the "right side" from the dark. If Harry were to simply out-magick LV... none of the rest of the lessons in the prior 6 books would have mattered.

Maybe Snape will kill the Dark Lord.... rather like Darth Vader killed the Emperor to save Luke in Star Wars.

k

Tawy
July 21st, 2005, 5:09 pm
HBP, pg 498 The book also explained that
Quote:
... the soul is supposed to remain intact and whole. Splitting it is an act of violation, it is against nature.
HBP, pg 498
That said, could JP really let Harry, the hero, commit a supreme act of evil and split his soul? I can't believe that.
2/ DD stressed that many prophecies don't come true, that this one did only because LV believed it and made it so. Thus, Harry does not himself have to kill LV. Besides, where would the lesson of love come in if he did?

Harry may be a normal person complete with flaws, but the entire series seems to teach that choice, not destiny, and love are what set aside the "right side" from the dark. If Harry were to simply out-magick LV... none of the rest of the lessons in the prior 6 books would have mattered.k

"... the soul is supposed to remain intact and whole. Splitting it is an act of violation, it is against nature." - I might be wrong, but your Soul doesn't get split each time you kill someone... You CAN split it after killing someone to make a Horcrux, but you dont have to...
I dont think Harry will just 'out-magic' Voldemort either and kill him with a spell... He will prolly find an other much more unexspected way to kill him, like he killed the Riddle-diary in book 2.

Bleh... Well I guess it's pretty certain that Voldemort will die... The question is whether Harry will have to die too or not?

I have this really good theory about Voldemort being killed by a random drunk muggle with a shotgun who would show up during the final battle... :P

SNiPeRViRuS
July 21st, 2005, 6:27 pm
Potter's reputation has him attempting the Cruciatus Curse numerous times. I dont really see him having a clean rep any more.

LV will die at the hands of Harry. Harry will calmy walk up to him, and hug him. This will cause him to die.

Scheide2
July 21st, 2005, 6:44 pm
This is not a question of if yiou think Harry will die or whether Voldemort. this thread is designed to ask, If given the chance in the end will Harry kill Voldemort?

Dumbledore was always said that there are worst things than death. this leads me to question if Harry would kill Voldemort or find something else. Also i think that JKR will not have Harry kill anyone. She will want to make him seem more Heroic by not tarnishing his reputation.

Finally, Dumbledore has said that the prophecy does not have to come true. He states that not all the Prophecies have been forfilled. i think it is a matter of choice for Harry.

Well thats my theory, so what do you guys think? Do you think that Harry would kill Voldemort even if he had the chance?
You do make a fairly convincing argument about it being Harry's choice and that not all prophecies are fullfilled. That said, I just can't see that happening. Harry finally defeating Voldermort is the moment that we've been working toward since the begining.

drdoom1337
July 22nd, 2005, 5:13 am
If it does come down to Harry fighting Voldemort what spell do you think he would use ? Many people think self-sacrafice, but i don't. I think that Snape would sacrafice himself for Harry, or some other person who really loves Harry. I think Snape because the last few books, Snape is always against harry an now is really a chance to prove his goodness. Either this, or Harry will come up with some other spell. Just a thought, but any comments ?

Weatherby
July 22nd, 2005, 9:24 am
Right, the last existing version of this thread was shut down due to people posting spoilers.
Please keep this HBP spoiler free.

Continue on. :)

Robb
July 22nd, 2005, 9:30 am
There are worse things than Death, remember? I don't think Voldemort will die per se without some sort of realization that Love is a more powerful magic than his own. I don't know how this will happen, but we know it can't happen through wands. We'll see though, I'm sure it will be amazing.

7felixfelicis
July 22nd, 2005, 9:31 am
i think the fact that harry has the power to love that he will not kill voldemort. i think that harry will get the opportunity to kill voldemort but that because he can love, he cannot stoop to voldemort's level.

Robb
July 22nd, 2005, 9:36 am
i think the fact that harry has the power to love that he will not kill voldemort. i think that harry will get the opportunity to kill voldemort but that because he can love, he cannot stoop to voldemort's level.
I agree. Murder isn't an act of bravery, but will Voldemort ever see that? Perhaps no one has ever offered him the opportunity to choose it. Diary Riddle did say that all the teachers loved him because he was "so brave" and there was italicized emphasis on the word "brave," but has he ever had the chance to witness true bravery? Or just his abomination of bravery in getting rid of Aragog?

HotForSkeeter
July 22nd, 2005, 9:58 am
There are worse things than Death, remember? I don't think Voldemort will die per se without some sort of realization that Love is a more powerful magic than his own.

I don't think Voldemort is capable of realizing this - BUT, a fate worse than death for him would be an inability to inspire horror and blind obedience. We saw in Book 5 how his closest followers believed him to be pure-blood - what do they do when they find out otherwise? What does V. do when people start telling him to stuff it, you dirty half-blood fake?

Granted he's still a powerful wizard - but so are many of his followers.

DOREdkiniry
July 22nd, 2005, 10:08 am
No HBP spoilers in this area.

Landale
July 22nd, 2005, 10:38 am
Forgive me, I've posted this theory in a few threads. I'm posting it here in the Official "Harry killing Voldemort" thread.

So, here's my theory:

The overwhelming theme of the books is, basically, love conquers all. So I think it will be an act of love that kills Voldemort.

I think the blast-ended skrewt shell will be made into a kind of Curse-proof vest that can rebound spells (read Goblet of Fire, Maze chapter, pages 625-626 American version).

I think, at the final battle with Voldemort, Harry will step in front of someone in order to protect them from Voldy's AK (a friend, or perhaps even Snape or Malfoy), which will rebound off Harry's armor back at Voldemort and promptly end his life.

That is how an act of love and compassion can kill Voldemort.

Plus, as I said before, it's just poetic, to begin and end the series with Voldemort dying at his own hands from a rebounded AK spell.

drdoom1337
July 22nd, 2005, 10:40 am
I think Harry will kill Voldemort, but perhaps (reference to Dragon Ball Z) maybe he will send Voldemort into some sort of Dead Zone? I mean it could happen, an it would certainly be worse than death.

Malfurion
July 22nd, 2005, 10:42 am
Actually I have thought about this alot, and my favorite Scenario goes with Harry having Voldemort down, but as he's getting ready to strike he remembers all the things he learned on his journey toward this moment.

The main thing being that life is not undone by death outside of the literal sense. Life is too complex to be devoured by something as simple as death and Harry comes to know this by remembering the lives that have been lost and the lessons they have given him.

Knowing that Voldemorts death will not undo the life he lead, Harry refused to kill him, and simply leaves him in his defeated state.

While he's leaving, the Dementors Voldemort kept as his guards(I suppose?) begin to swarm around their defeated master as the victorious Harry leaves. Voldemort, unable to think of one happy thought from his miserable life, and without the hopes he had before he was defeated by Harry, is unable to create a Patronus.

The last thing Voldemort sees is the black cloaks of the Dementors as they overtake him, and devour on the last sliver of a soul the evil man has left.

Neptunus
July 22nd, 2005, 10:57 am
Well i see 2 situations on that matter.

1) Someone who loves harry (ginny, hermione or ron) steps in front of the AK thus renewing the protection on harry so the 2nd AK finish off LV. Harry does not commit murder and continue with his life.

2) Harry dies protecting someone he loves (ginny, hermione or ron) thus sucrificing himself and bestowing the same protection to the person like harry had from his mother. LV tries to finish off the person making the AK to backfire. So we got both Harry and LV dead so JKR has a perfect excuse to deny any further HP books no matter what the stress will be :)

drdoom1337
July 22nd, 2005, 11:00 am
Well i see 2 situations on that matter.

1) Someone who loves harry (ginny, hermione or ron) steps in front of the AK thus renewing the protection on harry so the 2nd AK finish off LV. Harry does not commit murder and continue with his life.

2) Harry dies protecting someone he loves (ginny, hermione or ron) thus sucrificing himself and bestowing the same protection to the person like harry had from his mother. LV tries to finish off the person making the AK to backfire. So we got both Harry and LV dead so JKR has a perfect excuse to deny any further HP books no matter what the stress will be :)
Well for your #2 solution, I feel that the only person who, even if protection was bestowed on them, would be powerful enough to kill Voldemort would be Snape. I think that Snape in the end will either protect Harry or kill Voldemort as a last act of faith to Dumbledore.

dumblegeeth
July 22nd, 2005, 11:02 am
my goodness. i had the same thought. i do hope the dementors are the ones that get that last piece of soul.

Neptunus
July 22nd, 2005, 11:03 am
Well for your #2 solution, I feel that the only person who, even if protection was bestowed on them, would be powerful enough to kill Voldemort would be Snape. I think that Snape in the end will either protect Harry or kill Voldemort as a last act of faith to Dumbledore.

Why does the person has to be powerful? Harry was just a baby when he survived.

But I think Ginny will play a major part on the final battle. As she loves Harry and is the only girl in the Weasly family for 2 generations (might be something important)

drdoom1337
July 22nd, 2005, 11:07 am
Well I don't think someone so untrained in the arts would be able to kill Voldemort, with or without protection.

culdcept
July 22nd, 2005, 11:11 am
I seriously doubt that how Harry could possibly kill Voldy when they cannot even duel properly.

Harry lost his bare hand advantage in book four and so now Voldy can touch him all over unharmed.

Suggested in my Prophecy deduction before, Voldy will be killed/defeated entirely by someone else (my suggestion is the Prophecy runner-up Neville) in the final encounter. And Harry may have a very high chance die before this final encounter occur, as he is (very likely to be) Voldy's horcrux.

Morgan
July 22nd, 2005, 11:27 am
I wonder if Jo will let Harry kill Voldemort? So far in the series the only ones who do any killing are the Death Eaters and Voldemort, there seems to be a certain idea that as far as possible you should avoid killing, it's better to detain those who threaten the good ones. Letting Harry kill Voldemort would turn Harry in to a murderer of a sorts, even if it's for a good cause. But then, I can't see Harry sparing Voldemort out of the goodness of his heart after what he's done to his parents and Sirius.

JKuenstle
July 22nd, 2005, 11:54 am
I bet the wands have something intresting to do with it duh... but because of some kiddnapping that may or may not have happened. Of which I have had been advised to edit because of a spoiler, but I was qouted so you can read it anyway (somewhere on page 1) cause same problems as in GOF. Because of that (alleged) kidnapping I'm willing to bet their is some wand battle finale-

How can there be spoilers when the book hasn't been written?
Ahh... thanks MORGAN. Now I understand, well it's foolish to enter a forum devoted to speculation when you aren't up to date on the literature. oh well. lol

gasmanp
July 22nd, 2005, 1:10 pm
Is the prophecy relevant now?

She never uses the words kill or die.

She uses the word Vanguish - the strict meaning of this is to reduce from power - which Harry effectively did when Voldermort tried to kills him.

"One cannot live while the other survives",

DD states that as he splits his soul V becomes less human. "Living" is not neccessarily the same as being alive, by reducing V to "something less than human" has Harry already fulfilled this part of the prophecy.

Maybe Harry will appreciate these facts and realise that killing V is not the important point if the prophecy has already been fulfilled.

muggle2005
July 22nd, 2005, 1:39 pm
Will Harry become a killer? The fate of the wizarding world rests on this quistion. Sure, as someone theroized, the dementors coudld get him, that would be the best option.
But, Voldemort has caused much pain to Harry. Enough to enspire him to actually use Avada Kedavra. I somehow think that would be the only spell that would actually get read of him.
Harry is a good guy, perhaps he decides not stoop to that level, and let's say the dementor's don't come. What then? It has been propheceied that either must die at the hand of the other, indicating that he must be the one to kill him. A DE couldn't simlply step in and A.Kedavra him away. It's a dilemna. But Harry will do what he has to do/ probally wants to do.
Perhaps the snake venom could kill Voldemort, just like the Baskiliks's venom killed Tom Riddles diary, because if you think about, he would just be a { I don't even know if I could put a spoiler tag around this, so I'm just going to leave it, and those that have read HBP know, and those that don't, what are you doing here? Really? I would want to be reading the book, not posting about old facts. I mean no offense. :cool:
Could someone tell me if I couldv'e just put a spoiler tag around it (weatherby :eyebrows: ), I feel your Spoiler policy is slightly unclear.

me_rosmerta
July 22nd, 2005, 1:49 pm
Just like loadz of oder hp fans, i think his power to love has got something to do with killing voldemort coz dumbledore kept on emphazizing on that

Fire_Auror
July 22nd, 2005, 2:03 pm
I bet the wands have something intresting to do with it duh... but because ollivander was kidnapped, so voldermort might be trying to change his wand or screw with it somehow so when next they meet there won't be the same problems as in GOF. Because of that kidnapping I'm willing to bet their is some wand battle finale-
Yes the Priori Encantem is what I am expecting. But when there doing the bead thing Harry uses the force behind the door :eyebrows: and wins defeating voldemort without death.

Morgan
July 22nd, 2005, 2:13 pm

There is a three month spoiler ban on all parts of CoS that's not in the Half Blood Prince discussion forums. You're post contains spoilers about HBP that you might want to remove :)

hoody47
July 22nd, 2005, 2:27 pm
harry tricks voldemort into opening that "always locked" door in the department of mysteries, then shoves voldemort in and closes the door. killed by love. how ironic.

Morgan
July 22nd, 2005, 2:47 pm
harry tricks voldemort into opening that "always locked" door in the department of mysteries, then shoves voldemort in and closes the door. killed by love. how ironic.

That it one cool theory, never thought of that.

hdhp5
July 22nd, 2005, 4:10 pm
Comic Sans MS Both Harry Potter and Voldemort has loads of courage and power. Yet Harry still has love, and Voldemort however does not.

Pattyhap
July 22nd, 2005, 4:11 pm
Actually I have thought about this alot, and my favorite Scenario goes with Harry having Voldemort down, but as he's getting ready to strike he remembers all the things he learned on his journey toward this moment.

The main thing being that life is not undone by death outside of the literal sense. Life is too complex to be devoured by something as simple as death and Harry comes to know this by remembering the lives that have been lost and the lessons they have given him.

Knowing that Voldemorts death will not undo the life he lead, Harry refused to kill him, and simply leaves him in his defeated state.

While he's leaving, the Dementors Voldemort kept as his guards(I suppose?) begin to swarm around their defeated master as the victorious Harry leaves. Voldemort, unable to think of one happy thought from his miserable life, and without the hopes he had before he was defeated by Harry, is unable to create a Patronus.

The last thing Voldemort sees is the black cloaks of the Dementors as they overtake him, and devour on the last sliver of a soul the evil man has left.
Wow! That is a fantastic ending! I really would like to see that! I don't think Harry could really "kill" Voldemort in the end...he IS too full of love, as Dumbledore says,which is why he has so much trouble overcoming his emotions, so the PERFECT ending would be the one you suggest! I really don't know how J.K. Rowling will manage to make Harry kill Voldemort, this is a real tough question!

tabbykat
July 22nd, 2005, 4:49 pm
I agree with all of you who have said that Harry won't kill LV. With all of the emphasis placed on Harry's ability to love, that really has to be the key. Harry is not a more powerful wizard than LV because of his abilities to cast spells, he is more powerful because he capable of love. I don't think that the wands with have much if anything to do with it, because that was already used in GoF. I think it may even end up having something to do with Harry feeling sorry for LV because he is incapable of love.

msbtysw
July 22nd, 2005, 5:06 pm
I agree with all who say the love factor will finish LV off. Maybe LV will try to possess Harry again, and he will die from the love in Harry.

Spencer28
July 22nd, 2005, 5:11 pm
Well I think he'll ethier self-sacrifice(poor Ginny :upset: ) to save the world or he'll pull Godric's sword out of a hat and split DUmbledore in two

Jessica
July 22nd, 2005, 5:45 pm
Could someone tell me if I couldv'e just put a spoiler tag around it (weatherby :eyebrows: ), I feel your Spoiler policy is slightly unclear.

Even spoilers in spoiler tags will get deleted. However, we have a whole forum for discussing these issues with spoilers and if you've finished the book I highly recommend posting in there. This area is really for people who have not finished the book yet :)

Senor
July 22nd, 2005, 7:12 pm
I have to say that Harry won't be able to kill Lord Voldemort with his wand. I don't know if this will mean that Harry will be killed or he will find another way like with a dementor, as someone else suggested. Maybe he will get something else to kill him. A dragon maybe?

Fedleman
July 22nd, 2005, 7:17 pm
Voldemort's gonna win. That's what I think, because we're all expecting him to lose, so he's gonna win.

youngdre
July 22nd, 2005, 7:39 pm
are there other ways to kill without avada kedavra, i wonder?

Sarah_Hedwig
July 22nd, 2005, 7:50 pm
Yeah I think the love factor is the way to kill Voldemort

Although, I was wondering, could like Harry and Volemort both die? This may make no sense, but could Harry give himself up through love (not just romantic love mind you) and so Hary dies, 'cause he'd give himself up, but then at the same time Voldemort dies somehow. Am I making any sense, or am I blabbing nothingness?

*sigh* I wish I could say more to this, and go into greater detail, but I'm afraid of the whole spoiler rule *mutters to self*

but if one is looking for a detailed way of how Harry may finish Voldy off, that might be asking for a bit much, so the topic is very wide

Zenkitty
July 22nd, 2005, 8:14 pm
Personally,I think that Harry will die killing Voldemort. :sad:

HappyRandom23
July 22nd, 2005, 8:24 pm
My little brother thinks he will use a combination of powerful spells, and a bazooka. He is just kidding. :) I think that that thing at the end of Gof will play a role in it. Like maybe somehow the people he's killed will overwhelm him, and make him vulnerable to Harry's spells. I doubt he will use an unforgivible though. It just doesn't seem like him. Just my thoughts.

CalmLikeABomb
July 22nd, 2005, 8:31 pm
Bow and arrow.

el_cid
July 22nd, 2005, 9:32 pm
im no word expert. but couldnt lv kill himself? "either must die at the hand of the other" doesnt that mean that lv could kill himslef? could harry do something that made voldemort realize that hes horrible? i wouldnt put it past rowling..

Fire_Auror
July 22nd, 2005, 9:59 pm
Ok How about we go a little more video game final boss type thing cause I can see that happening.
The last Battle will begin with a nice short battle where Harry Avenges DD [Snape] then he kills nagina making there one last piece of soul. In fury Vol and harry fight and harry is losing then allof HPs friends will fight and vol knocks em out cold. He stares at Ginny and now out of Love harry fights and brings vol to his knees...
Harry-You killed my parents, made me live with the dursleys, killed sirius, killed DD, and have been constantly making my life a living ****.
Vol- Kill me all ready you fool
Harry- No
Harry turns away and is blasted by the Killing curse but Harry is wearing Fred and Georges shield gloves and Vol is brought down by his own wand.

AliHermione
July 22nd, 2005, 10:05 pm
Personally,I think that Harry will die killing Voldemort. :sad:

Yeah, I'm scared out of my mind that that will happen. How do other people feel about that theory?

Robb
July 22nd, 2005, 10:32 pm
Fire_Auror, nothing can block Avada Kedavra, no matter how clever Fred and George are, this is why Harry is so special, remember?

Also, why wouldn't everyone use those items all the time if they could block everything?

Red_Magic
July 22nd, 2005, 11:27 pm
My thoughts is that Harry will not destroy Voldemort but Voldemort will some how end up destroying himself. Sure there will be a final battle but Harry won't kill Voldemort cause he is so good but some how Voldemort will finally die.

slipperyelm
July 23rd, 2005, 1:16 am
My concern: I'd like to see Harry become a much more adept Wizard. He's going to need to it, plus have some help to defeat Voldemort. Dumbledore just held his own with the Dark Lord.

I hope Harry and Voldemort don't end up taking each other out. Harry should survive. To me, Harry represents hope.

knowmadd35
July 23rd, 2005, 1:48 am
Just a theory...from a newbie. Voldemort cannot tolerate the feeling of love or the presence of it. He is dark inside, much like the dementors, eh? Might we possibly see Harry's Patronus charging down LV? All of the sudden a competitor LV can't hit or stop and can't stand. But as I said in the beginning, just a theory. Why can't everyone else do it? Book five has alot of full grown wizards disbelieving the fact that Harry can conjure a full corporeal patronus which leads me to think many of them can't.

pyromaniac
July 23rd, 2005, 1:50 am
Through love.... :huh:

PoorDraco123
July 23rd, 2005, 1:53 am
Well first he'll have to find all the horcruxes, which seems hard engouh, but when it comes time to kill the last bit of voldemorts soul, the part in his body, i just dont think that harry will be able to point his wand at voldemort and say avada kedavra, part of the reason i think this is that in the 6th book, its hinted that harry is starting to actually feel bad for voldemort, even though he denies it, i just think that harry is too good to kill.

hoody47
July 23rd, 2005, 2:05 am
its the bloody "hero complex"
no superhero kills the bad guy deliberatly (except daredevil, and in the end even he ends up handing over uber badguy to the cops) - they always end up fallin off a cliff and the superhero grabs their hand and trys to save them, but they "fall to their doom"
this'l probably happen (maybe not with a cliff) cos of harry's "ability to love"

i think: screw it! kill voldemort! stab him in the head; burn him; poison him; hug him to death - i don't care how just DO IT!

eVaNeScEnCe
July 23rd, 2005, 2:17 am
Ouh, I like the Dementor idea! I agree that Harry will not be able to physically kill Voldemort at the end because of his immense compassion and remembrance of all the people that have been ruthlessly and senselessly killed. I think at this point he's learned his lesson about death. However, being a Snape rooter, I think Snape's sacrifice will factor into the last battle. I see him sacrificing himself thus weakening Voldemort in some way and paving the way for Harry to defeat him (in a non-killing way). How this is going to be done I have no cluse, but I firmly believe that Snape's sacrifice will play a role at the end.

SiriusElessar
July 23rd, 2005, 2:52 am
I don't think Harry has a spell in his arsenal that will kill Tom. I think it will have to be another way (Ex. falling thru the Veil). Their wands pose a problem for that as well. He might even have to kill him in a non-magical way.

Survalli
July 23rd, 2005, 4:45 am
Potter probably couldnt kill the Dark Lord. Im guessing it will happen in a very "Gollum" like fashion...and it will probably involve a mirror.

knowmadd35
July 23rd, 2005, 4:59 am
And true too, the prophecy doesn't say the one with the power to kill the Dark Lord. It says the power to vanquish the Dark lord.

iloveemmaw
July 23rd, 2005, 6:06 pm
I don't think Harry will be able to do it alone. I think he will need the people he loves (friends, whoever) to help him kill Lord Voldemort.

boorman
July 23rd, 2005, 10:06 pm
Here's a quote I found in another post:

"To have had Harry dispel over a hundred dementors in Prisoner of Azkaban and be so powerless here is, to me, tremendously disappointing!"

I agree with this post. Harry didn't seem like he grew much with his magic in HBP. He couldn't even slow Snape down. At this point I don't see how he could defeat Wormtail let alone LV. I understand that DD explains that love is Harry's greatest strength. I don't see how that will even get Harry past the DEs who would undoubtedly be guarding LV. What do you think?

boorman
July 23rd, 2005, 10:06 pm

"To have had Harry dispel over a hundred dementors in Prisoner of Azkaban and be so powerless here is, to me, tremendously disappointing!"

I agree with this post. Harry didn't seem like he grew much with his magic in HBP. He couldn't even slow Snape down. At this point I don't see how he could defeat Wormtail let alone LV. I understand that DD explains that love is Harry's greatest strength. I don't see how that will even get Harry past the DEs who would undoubtedly be guarding LV. What do you think?

marylovesharry
July 23rd, 2005, 10:15 pm

I agree with this post. Harry didn't seem like he grew much with his magic in HBP. He couldn't even slow Snape down. At this point I don't see how he could defeat Wormtail let alone LV. I understand that DD explains that love is Harry's greatest strength. I don't see how that will even get Harry past the DEs who would undoubtedly be guarding LV. What do you think? I think Snape is a much stronger wizard than any of us ever expected. I mean come on if he was able to fool either Voldemort (like I believe) or Dumbledore (whom I don't believe he did) then he must be pretty powerful. Plus Snape was reading Harry's mind to know what spells he was using so that's a bit of a disadvantage for harry. And Harry was trying to use curses he's never used before, the unforgiveables, so again he was putting himself at a disadvantage. With the dementors he already knew the spell to get rid of them so all he had to do was use it.
I think Harry will have to learn to control his emotions better if he has any hope of defeating Voldemort, something I see as being entirely feasible. I'm pretty sure he won't have to get through all the DE anyway because Voldemort, being so full and sure of himself, will want Harry all to himself.

hpfan999
July 23rd, 2005, 10:19 pm
since harry isn't good at unforgivible curses, he could use that surpensectrum curse over and over and over and over and over and over and over again to kill him.

Nikk
July 23rd, 2005, 10:25 pm
Wow hpfan999 you are coldblooded. But I could do it, I would do it too. No, I think Harry is gonna destroy himself in the attempt, the succeful one, to kill Tom.

hpfan999
July 23rd, 2005, 10:31 pm
kill Harry? Never!!!!!

rippley
July 23rd, 2005, 10:31 pm
Harry wont be able to do this alone, thats for sure. Not completely alone at least, he will obviously have wizards along side him. The battle between Harry and LV has grown to the battle between the Order and the DE's.

Rpgpunk
July 23rd, 2005, 10:32 pm
Harry will have a greater power when he can learn to close his mind and use non-verbal spells.

hpfan999
July 23rd, 2005, 10:34 pm
Harry wont be able to do this alone, thats for sure.
i myself think he would bring ron, hermione, nevile, luna, and ginny.

Pho3nixPhir3
I think Snape is a much stronger wizard than any of us ever expected. I mean come on if he was able to fool either Voldemort (like I believe) or Dumbledore (whom I don't believe he did) then he must be pretty powerful. Plus Snape was reading Harry's mind to know what spells he was using so that's a bit of a disadvantage for harry. And Harry was trying to use curses he's never used before, the unforgiveables, so again he was putting himself at a disadvantage. With the dementors he already knew the spell to get rid of them so all he had to do was use it.
I think Harry will have to learn to control his emotions better if he has any hope of defeating Voldemort, something I see as being entirely feasible. I'm pretty sure he won't have to get through all the DE anyway because Voldemort, being so full and sure of himself, will want Harry all to himself.

I totally agree, especially with the last part. Harrys emotions tend to mar his thinking in stressful situations and against people he has a lot of emotions towards[as in Voldemort, his emotions toward him are extremely powerful, which would cause him to lose focus.] Harry will also most likely not have to fight the Death Eaters. Voldemort will set it up so he has Harry all to himself[arrogant and vain, Voldemort is eh?]. He will either get Harry to come straight to him, or if Hermione and Ron tag along, theyll fight the Death Eaters[certainly not all of them, because if Voldemort allows them to protect him, it will only be a few of his most trusted, most powerful DEs. If Snape is actually evil, it may be him guarding Voldemort, which would be interesting to say the least.] Just my thoughts.

SiriusElessar
I also think Harry will probably die to kill Tom. I don't think Harry progressed very much with his magic either, which means he is going to have to get very lucky and have help with the Horcruxes and with Tom. I also believe that Tom will be killed in a non-wand way. Harry isn't strong enough to kill him in a duel, not yet at least. Plus their wands won't go against each other.

MTrue
How is love Harry's greatest asset? Harry loves and is loved. He has a whole adoptive family that loves him. He has friends from school who love him. All these people that are intimately connected to Harry loves him. They will stick with and sacrifice for Harry even onto death. I believe these people's love will prove their loyalty to Harry infinately stronger than the loyalty sparred by fear or greed of the DE to LV.

hazel_hifearnan
July 23rd, 2005, 10:35 pm
I think Harry will have to learn to control his emotions better if he has any hope of defeating Voldemort, something I see as being entirely feasible.

i doubt this very much. harry's emotions confuse voldemort. and seeing as harry isn't very powerful compared to lv, that confusion will be very helpful. also, harry's most powerful ability is to love, if he controls his emotions, he loses that.

hpfan999
July 23rd, 2005, 10:41 pm
I also think Harry will probably die to kill Tom.
Why does everone want harry dead?? everybody is always going harry's gonna die, he'll kie to kill tom ect. has it ever occured to you guys that he might (and will) live after this? (the title "the boy who lived" being important in many of the books.)

Pho3nixPhir3
July 23rd, 2005, 10:42 pm
Love is an emotion, but not the kind that mars his abilties. Love will most certainly help him, but other emotions will certainly not if he doesnt control them. The emotion that could lead to his downfall if not controlled could be hate. His extreme hatred for Voldemort will make his life really hard if not controlled.

Rpgpunk
July 23rd, 2005, 10:44 pm
IMO Harry needs to learn a lot more before taking on Voldemort, Snape or any of the Death Eaters.

rippley
July 23rd, 2005, 10:46 pm
Well if Harry dies, I think it would be safe to assume Voldemort will die to. (i.e. Harry will sacrifice himself for the death of Voldemort.) I know JKR says she isnt writing a childrens book, but to have 7 books, and the outcome is for the bad guy to win.

Lotario
July 23rd, 2005, 10:48 pm

I don't think, that Harry will need the power of a Albus Dumbledore to defeat Voldemort. Albus Dumbledore would have given him lessons himself from the very first year, if that's what is needed. I think, that he will use the powers given by Voldemort (Parselmouth), the bond between them and the powers, Voldemort doesn't know: love, friendship. And his youth will help -- Voldmorts underestimates him.

Harry is much better at DADA than we think -- when fighting Snape he was troubled deeply by the death of Dumbledore.

Alandra
July 23rd, 2005, 11:00 pm
Most of what harry uses against LV is luck and mental games. In a flat out duel, Harry'd be lying out like a cheap carpet in seconds.

If it's good duelling needed, anyone could fight LV (DD/an Order member). There's a reason only Harry can defeat the man himself, and its a reason no one else has. Love, maybe? Knowledge of LV's history, and therefore weaknesses? Whatever it is, it probably isn't sommat "learnt".

And as the other option would be either an unresolved series or the death of our hero, he clearly will defeat LV. So either he has the know-how now, or he'll get it in HP7. He already knows LV's background, some weaknesses, how to destroy him, and how LV's mind works. He has his friends at his back, and the Order. He does have a fair smattering of useful spells, and the odd trick up his sleeve, like Quidditch reflexes. Not much, but useful regardless.

SquibOnline
July 23rd, 2005, 11:01 pm
Nope, but the prophecy says he has a power the dark lord knows not, which is meant to be love

VancouverWriter
July 23rd, 2005, 11:03 pm
The fact is DD already gave Harry the key to defeating Voldemort so he doesn't need DD at this point. He needs to find all the horcruxes - that is the key. DD said in HBP that once these other six horcruxes were destroyed, Voldemort would be mortal and subject to being killed like anyone else. He said he would still be powerful but not as powerful as he was before. Also, once Voldemort learns the other horcruxes have been destroyed, I think he will lose his confidence and start to make stupid mistakes. He may be a wizard and powerful but he's also still a man who has vulnerabilities. It is not up to Harry to be powerful but intelligent and focused. I agree that he must get his emotions in check but I think the trick is not to be more powerful than Voldemort but wiser and more focused. That is what Harry must do. Let's hope he can.

Niffly
July 23rd, 2005, 11:08 pm
I think that Harry isn't powerful and that he isn't greater than LV in magic. He is greater in another way, love's way, emotions' way. That's the only way to defeat LV, whatever that means.
I think that Harry won't have a plan on how to defeat LV, I think he'll do whatever comes to his mind that precise moment, that's what he always does.

Bunny
July 23rd, 2005, 11:16 pm
Harry and the the others still have the Horcruxes to find and dispose of before he can defeat Voldemort. Going after them is part of how he will learn what he needs, I think.
Snape's final lesson was "... until you learn to keep mind closed and your mouth shut." If he does learn these then it will keep him safer, whilst he is looking.
I am reminded though of Dumbledores words in the OotP: "In the end it mattered not that you could not close your mind. It was your heart that saved you."
I wondered why Dumbledore didn't teach Harry Occlumency. Perhaps this is why. He needs to have an open mind, be an open person.

eaimua
July 23rd, 2005, 11:28 pm
How is Harry supposed to find all these horcruxes and then disable them? he needs powerful magic for that, Dumbledore was badly injured TWICE while trying to destroy those horcruxes and then Harry (with Hermoine and Ron) is supposed to waltz in and just get rid of them like - poof? Too unrealistic. One can only hope that this R.A.B. character already got rid of the rest.

I agree with booman, Harry hasn't grown magically at all. In many respects he is such an average wizard. Compare his achievements to what Dumbledore, Snape, Tom had learned at his age. And Harry has the added incentives of fear (Tom is a powerful wizard out to kill him), revenge (Tom killed his parents cue ninja style training for revenge), reponsiblity (he is the only one who can kill tom, fate of the world in his hands), and love (his love, his friends, his new family are in danger) and yet he isnt trying to learn all he can so he can be a better wizard to face Tom. This is why Harry's continued use of the potions book was so disappointing to me, He didn't really learn much from it, when he didint have it anymore, he hadn't improved in his potions ability. I mean it's pathetic, Harry is supposed to be this great Defence against the Dark Arts guy and he cant recognise a dark arts spell when he sees it, or even when he uses it (the spell he used on Draco). It's sooo frustrating (ok thats enough ranting from me).

I guess what J.K. is trying to show is that this Love thing Dumbledore kept talking about is really powerful. and will prove to be the only magic worth fighting with i think. But we as yet have little clues how Harry is going to use this love as a form of magic (die for the wizarding world?) or how it manifest itself. My wierd theory on this is that the feelings Harry had when he saw Ginny kissing Dean is that.. whatever. I'm getting confused, can't wait for book 7 for all the answers.

Asrana
July 24th, 2005, 12:20 am
Harry will have a greater power when he can learn to close his mind and use non-verbal spells.
Harry already has done non-verbal spells remember at Hagrids.

I think Harry after all the trauma that he's endured he put a sort of mental block on himself.

ImDeadSirius
July 24th, 2005, 1:13 am
The question is if Harry is going to kill LV how will he since they can't battle?
Whatever the thing worse than death is is a good possibility.

Darth_Nazgul
July 24th, 2005, 2:08 am
I dont beleive that Harry will kill Voldemort using Avada Kedavra. Like others have said, Love is probably the most powerful force that Harry can use, though Im not sure how exactly, Harry would use "love" to finish off VD.

MrsRiddle
July 24th, 2005, 2:57 am
i myself think he would bring ron, hermione, nevile, luna, and ginny.

Perhaps, but Harry's not the type to risk their safety.
Harry might kill Tom by touching him with 'un-natural love' like he did with Quirrel

brianboy
July 24th, 2005, 3:45 am
Ok, as much as I would LOVE for Voldie to be overtaken by the dementors, I just can't see Mrs. Rowling doing it. We have to consider what she has said about the prophecy, which is that it would mean nothing if Harry and Voldemort didn't place so much importance on it. I think that perhaps, Harry and Voldemort will confront each other, and that somehow Harry manages to bring the weapon of love into the battle. AS for the theory that he would trick Riddle into the locked room, I don't know if that could happen, because could Harry unlock it? But I digress. I really don't think that Harry WILL use an Unforgiveable Curse on Voldemort. When you think about it, that's what really separates the two. Both had rotten childhoods, and both despise each other completely. Remember that Voldemort wanted Harry as almost an apprentice in book one. I think that Harry will confuse Voldemort, with the power of love, perhaps saving one of his friends... and this will not kill Voldemort, but weaken him enough for Harry to have a CHANCE to kill Riddle. The only thing is, that I don't believe Harry will. I honestly think that he would keep Tom alive, because ultimately, that is the fate worse than death for Voldemort, isn't it? To be left powerless, without followers, a cursed life in which he can do nothing to get his way. In a sense, then, he will die at the hand of Harry: his spirit will effectively be crushed by Harry's action. Unless he still cannot touch Harry, in which he could literally die at Harry's hand. Just my thoughts! Post on what you think!
Bri

horcrux_seven
July 24th, 2005, 10:28 am
i think harry potter would have to kill himself and snape will kill voldie...

i have a theory that harry potter was not intended to be killed by voldie but harry was made a horcrux of voldie the night he killed harry' parents...

tentomushi2
July 24th, 2005, 10:41 am
I believe that Harry will end up having to sacrifice himself to kill Voldemort! I am not exactly sure how all this could come about but I just dont see how Harry as a hero has any other choice. Point: Voldemort has Harry's blood in his veins, we already know that they are connected in so many ways, does it seem impossible that at some climactic moment Harry will realize that the only way to get rid of Vold. is to sacrifice himself?

MrsRiddle
July 24th, 2005, 1:44 pm
Harry pokes Voldy in the eye with his wand, then when Voldy doubles over in pain, Harry uses the Avada Kedavra

:p

Gryff_Hoo
July 24th, 2005, 1:52 pm
Harry Potter kills snakeface in the library with a candlestick and the AK.

cristina
July 24th, 2005, 3:32 pm
Ah! This is a good threath! I agree with those who think that voldemort will be killed by love.
After the meetings that harry had with Dumbledore, i think that harry will make voldemort sofer some how remembering him his life when he was a teeneager. I believe that both will have a great figth and that Harry will kill Voldemort when seems that he's about to get killed by voldemort. I think that in the last moment he'll remember the people that were dead by his fault and give to the curse, wich will kill him, a great power of love and revenge, i just don't know if it's going to be Avada Kedavra or another one that he finds out.
I believe that during the 7th book harry will have do know more stuff about dark magic because i think that he doesn't know enougth spells to hurt Voldemort or even to hurt Snape.
Harry will have to have enouth knowled about spells and a lot of courage to kill voldemort, because in the last time that they were face to face Karry didn't move a single muscle when Voldemort was about to kill him, on Ootp.

Albus_Merlin
July 24th, 2005, 8:35 pm
I dont think that Harry will overcome Voldemort using any spells as such. The love factor will have its part in it. Also i have a feeling that the department of mystries will play an important role in it. And I also believe that Voldemort will meet his end through his own kind. Things like dementors...death eaters and nagini will be instrumental in his downfall I feel.
Also If Voldemort meets his end...will Tom Riddle be still there?

banana2000
July 24th, 2005, 8:49 pm
Whoa, lots of you have very vivid endings of your own planned. I agree that somehow Harry Potter will use his abillity to love towards his advantage in defeating Voldemort. However, I don't think he will completely succeed in doing this. If J.K. Rowling ends the book in a way that Harry just kills Lord Voldemort, the end, people (I, for one) will complain. I mean, if Harry just kills him then what was the point of all the books? Sure, they were fun and interesting to read but, personally, I expect some sort of a twist in the ending! Something that has been mentioned in every book but never really thought into... I don't really know, that's just my opinion. But I honestly hope that Harry does live through this 7th book. Maybe he will have to sacrifice himself to kill L.V. and then the 'wizarding world' and the muggle world will be safe, but Harry dead. Who knows?

Shazaam
July 24th, 2005, 11:17 pm
I just suddenly had this big ol' brain storm! I think that there was a big plot hole in the first book when Dumbledore told Harry that the stone had been destroyed. But what of the mirror of erised... We know that Dumbledore had some incredible invention that allowed him to encase the stone in the mirror, but could be removed by certain means. Well, lets just say that Voldemort really is invincible (he survived his own Avada Kadavra, right?), so he can't die or be beaten in a head on battle. What if - this is like, the coolest idea - Harry encases Voldemort in the mirror of erised using the same tactics as Dumbledore!!! The only way for Voldemort to escape the mirror would be for someone to want him to escape more than anything else. Just in case a faithful servant of Voldemort's was around though... get this... Harry breaks the mirror into thousands of pieces, and hides them all around the world. That way, Voldemort could still be brought back if the mirror were reassembled, but the odds of that are so slim, it's almost as if he was defeated!

banana2000
July 25th, 2005, 12:48 am
hmm interesting theory. but could that lead to another book?

Abhorsen88
July 25th, 2005, 2:28 am
i think that there is one thing that harry has learned is that he is the only person able to get rid or voldemort, mostlikely he will kill him, out of love and the wanting to protect every single wizard, muggle, magical creature extera, from him, and it would be nearly imposible for a deamentor to give voldemort the kiss, simple becasue if one comes withen a few feet of harry, unless harry congurs his patoronis, he passes out (other reasons are mentioned in hbp)

I just suddenly had this big ol' brain storm! I think that there was a big plot hole in the first book when Dumbledore told Harry that the stone had been destroyed. But what of the mirror of erised... We know that Dumbledore had some incredible invention that allowed him to encase the stone in the mirror, but could be removed by certain means. Well, lets just say that Voldemort really is invincible (he survived his own Avada Kadavra, right?), so he can't die or be beaten in a head on battle. What if - this is like, the coolest idea - Harry encases Voldemort in the mirror of erised using the same tactics as Dumbledore!!! The only way for Voldemort to escape the mirror would be for someone to want him to escape more than anything else. Just in case a faithful servant of Voldemort's was around though... get this... Harry breaks the mirror into thousands of pieces, and hides them all around the world. That way, Voldemort could still be brought back if the mirror were reassembled, but the odds of that are so slim, it's almost as if he was defeated!

i am sorry but this remends me too much of the old mary-kate and ashley movie, where the is a two sisters, and one turns into an evil witch and then the olsen twins trap her into the mirror and break it (*please don't laugh at me i was like 7 when it came out during the full house days)

hoody47
July 25th, 2005, 2:28 am
OR
harry trys, and fails, to kill voldemort
and then voldemort kills him

one way of gettin out of a sequel - kill the main character

r2e
July 25th, 2005, 2:48 am
The final showdown will happen in Hogwarts. Absolutely no doubt about that because there is so much evidence to support it ((DD says quite a few times that Voldemort sees Hogwarts as his home, Voldemort trying to collect pieces of Hogwarts history like the ring, goblet and using them as horcruxes, Voldemort trying to get a teaching job)).

How will it happen? It will be something to do with love anyway - the trio (and Ginny, as I am adament she will be with them) will join hands or some other way of joining power with Harry as the wielder. I could come up with way wilder theories but thats enoug for now!

Voldemort taken over by mere Dementors! pah, whoever came up with that should have a serious re-think.

OR
harry trys, and fails, to kill voldemort
and then voldemort kills him

one way of gettin out of a sequel - kill the main character

Sequel :rotfl: Jo has said that there are no sequels in the pipeline - I would bet on there being HP Enyclopedia, Maps of the Hp World etc

Sirius5317
July 25th, 2005, 2:54 am
Harry kills Voldemort and the draining of that kills him or their wands meet like in the end of GoF and backfire so they kill ea. other

Melichus
July 25th, 2005, 8:38 am
I dont beleive that Harry will kill Voldemort using Avada Kedavra. Like others have said, Love is probably the most powerful force that Harry can use, though Im not sure how exactly, Harry would use "love" to finish off VD.

Erm. Perhaps this is too simple for its own good, but what if Harry simply touches Voldemort? I believe that this is what finished him in the first book, so if Harry touches him again when there are no more horcruxes, shouldn't Voldemort die for good?

EDIT Oh. Heh. The post right before me had the same idea... :rolleyes:

hel101
July 25th, 2005, 8:43 am
i think that harry will push voldy through the veil.

and this is a random theory, and is ABSOLUTELY don't think it will come true but........
if love is harry's power, and love will defeat voldemot, harry might start to love voldemort, and thank him for things, and that will kill him...........i dunno, i just like it......it's not gonna come true......but whateva.......it's good for a laught

AshnPhnix_00
July 25th, 2005, 8:48 am
Hmmm..saying too much here would be a spoiler. All i have to say is, read book six!!

Malfurion
July 25th, 2005, 9:50 am
Voldemort taken over by mere Dementors! pah, whoever came up with that should have a serious re-think.

While your Hogwarts theory is good, I think you could gain more support if you weren't so inflametory with your remarks on other peoples theories.

I don't think I have to rethink anything. Have you ever heard of Dementors being driven away with anything besides a Patronus, and can you imagine any happy thoughts Voldemort could think of after being beaten by Harry?

Next time I think you should take time to read a post before saying something about it.

Troll

vampiricduck
July 25th, 2005, 10:58 am
Two words: Priori Incantatem. Re-read *** end of book four. That's what will happen...Except harry will be spurred on when a memory comes out of Voldemort's wand...And I think the person will be Ron. Hence, harry will win the fight...And I don't think he'll die.

cool_bob
July 25th, 2005, 11:03 am
harry won't kill voldermort. voldermort will die of the common cold

vampiricduck
July 25th, 2005, 11:06 am
Nice! What an excellent idea! *applauds *

Like Attila the Hun, who died of the flu after supposedly being invincible. Then again, he lacked magical powers, so i dunno..

*applauds some more*

Silk E Smooth
July 25th, 2005, 11:19 am
With his bow staff.

No seriously, I don't think it will be a curse. I think it well be something more dramatic like stabbing him with Godric Gryffindors sword.

fantasymania
July 25th, 2005, 12:17 pm
Fire_Auror, nothing can block Avada Kedavra, no matter how clever Fred and George are, this is why Harry is so special, remember?

Also, why wouldn't everyone use those items all the time if they could block everything?
lol, thats so true :agree:

Anyway, I think theres no chance of Harry being killed by Voldemort, since, if that happens, everyones gonna start hating J.K rowling and thats not usually how the hero cycle works - think about it, the hard work put in to 7 books just to find the main character dead, killed by who he was supposed to kill.

They would most probably have a one to one battle and in the end when Harry gets cornered and voldemort just abouts to give him the finishing blow.... SOMETHING WILL HAPPEN. - i dunno, something miraculous or, or...something!!After all the prophecy states that harry has some power voldemort does'nt know, and theres no guarantee its only love, maybe its the power to make friends with many powerful wizards :rotfl:.

Temperance
July 25th, 2005, 12:31 pm
I agree with many of you I don't think that Harry will actually kill LV. By killing him he has really dropped to LV's level. Harry represents everything that is good, namely love. Will have to finish this thought after three month ban don't want to spoil it for anyone.

Minion
July 25th, 2005, 12:46 pm
i think LV will have a very intense battle with harry and come of second best, he may not die but he will be unable to live life like Neville's parents, that injured that it has permanatly affected their lives.

Daisyde01
July 25th, 2005, 1:36 pm
I agree. Murder isn't an act of bravery, but will Voldemort ever see that? Perhaps no one has ever offered him the opportunity to choose it. Diary Riddle did say that all the teachers loved him because he was "so brave" and there was italicized emphasis on the word "brave," but has he ever had the chance to witness true bravery? Or just his abomination of bravery in getting rid of Aragog?

Didn't Dumbledore effectively murder the previous dark wizard? It was on the back of the chocolate frog card. Harry will have to kill Voldemort for the greater good. To be 17 and fighting someone more powerful than you for sake of millionsof nameless people because it is your destiny is very brave.

Fire_Auror
July 25th, 2005, 2:44 pm
Ok Harry will not kill Vol because he can't kill snape I mean do you think he'll learn any spells that won't be blocked? End of HBP. OR JKR tricks us by making a book with one page because she's bored and already set for life and it will say "Harry woke up to see voldemort."
Vol-No more power to live AV
Harry dies The End

RemusLupinFan
July 25th, 2005, 5:36 pm
In the end, I believe Harry's ability to kill Voldemort will stem from his understanding and not underestimating the importance of his ability to love. In HBP, Harry doesn't think this ability is very important- he nearly adds "big deal" when he's talking to Dumbledore. But I believe it is a big deal, and so does Dumbledore, because I feel his ability to love will end up destroying Voldemort somehow. Once another thread, someone proposed the theory that Harry might end up possessing Voldemort, which I thought was a very good idea because for the power that Voldemort can't stand (love) to be within him in such a way could in theory destroy him from the inside out (here's the thread if anyone's interested: Harry's Power of Posession and Voldemort's downfall (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=60628))

Godric32908
July 25th, 2005, 6:46 pm
Harry walks straight up to the dark figure that he knows is Voldemort and says "I love you!" At that instant Voldemort started to screech in pain dropping to the floor. He was dead.

Shallow_Hal
July 25th, 2005, 10:19 pm
Her obsessive need for constant snogging will put Voldy too dangerously close to love and he won't survive it. ;)

Danhool
July 25th, 2005, 11:00 pm
I like the idea that Harry and Voldemort are somehow intertwined, as has been discussed earlier in this thread. To support it you can look at the end of OotP when Harry feels as if he is being possesed by Voldemort and is seering in pain. So I think it's very possible that Voldemort will be going after Hermoine/Ron/Ginny and about to kill them and right before he does Harry kills himself. Or maybe Voldemort tries to posses Harry and have him kill his own friends, and in a moment of clarity, Harry realizes he's a danger to everyone and kills himself.

aggiefan1206
July 25th, 2005, 11:03 pm
Yes I am pretty sure Harry will kill Voldemort but as to how I have no clue. I have a feeling that it will obviously have to do with Voldemort use of Harrys blood and Harrys ability to love. (I wonder if DD left him any info any where that could be helpful it seems we will learn more about DD in book 7 as JK seems to hint at it.) I am guessing he will not be able to defeat Voldemort with the AK. So there is really no telling how he will end up doing it.

A good thing to want to know is where they will be dueling? Possilby by the locked door in the DoM but mabe it will open for Harry this time.

Ginny_4_Harry
July 25th, 2005, 11:22 pm
I think that Harry will defeat Voldemort when and only when he discovers love, and then i think that once he realized the powers of love he will defeat Voldemort once and for all.

phizpop
July 25th, 2005, 11:31 pm
I'm probably totally off the mark here but I think Harry may well be a horcrux of Voldemort and that is a significant reason as to why Voldemort couldn't kill him. I mean, Dumbledore said it himself in PS. They can never be totally sure why Harry survived. Maybe it's not only because of Lily's love and protection but because part of Voldemort's soul was passed to Harry and therefore for Voldemort to kill him, he would have to destroy a part of his own soul. Kinda confusing. I think then, Harry will have to make some sort of self-sacrifice to finally destroy Voldemort (awaits onslaught of disagreement) lol.

jpowell
July 25th, 2005, 11:40 pm
i think voldermort might actually kill himself trying to defeat harry. like in the beginning how harry made voldermort powerless and he didn't do anything at all at the time. it is just matters of the right place and the right time.

Devi
July 26th, 2005, 12:36 am
Love sweet love. Harry will take Voldy out on a date, take him back to his house, then snogg him till he suffocates. Shaggadelic, baby.

Ok, probably not like that, but LOVE will have everything to do with LV's downfall.

jasmeet
July 26th, 2005, 1:38 am
Now remember this is just a theory but I wanted feedback on this.
In the chapter of "Horcruxes" Dumbledore continues to emphasize that how great "love" is, in the sense its the power the Dark Lord knows not. And we all know JK Rowling doesn't just repeat or emphasize things just for the heck of it. We know that Voldemort is light years beyond in magical training skill compared to Harry. So we know that Harry can't say "avada kedavra" or some fancy spell to finish Voldemort (which, if he does, in my opinion would be pretty anticlimatic)

Taken all this information into account, Harry HAS to kill Voldemort using "the power he knows not", which is love. So how exactly is he supposed to kill him with love? Think now, HOW did Voldemort almost get killed the first time around? BY THE LOVE OF HIS MOTHER SACRIFICING HERSELF FOR HARRY. We all know Voldemort didn't die because he had various soul fragments out there with the Horcruxes, but if Harry suceeds in making Voldemort a mortal man, the way to kill him would be in a sense to "re-enact" how he almost died the first time around. Yes, it means that Harry has to sacrifice himself for someone he loves, the curse will rebound and destroy the mortal Voldemort.

Yes, I know this theory is saying that Harry will have to die (which fits in the prophecy that one cannot survive while the other lives) and I would personally be devastated but I really think that might be the way it has to go.

Will Voldemort go for Ron/Hermione/Ginny? Will Harry jump in front realizing he is as brave as his mother was? (he DOES have her eyes!)

Well that was just my theory. Let me know what you think!
And oh, about the RAB - if it really is Regulus, who was it that he had to take along with him? Because according to Dumbledore, one could not do it, and it had to be someone whose powers WOULDNT register on the boat (remember Harry was underaged). So my guess would be he took Kreacher, whose powers wouldn't register (Kreacher would of course have to obey the member of the black family) and Regulus made Kreacher drink the potion while he did the switch-a-roo.

Well, that's all for me! I of course want to hear your comments!

onemanarmy
July 26th, 2005, 1:56 am
In order for this to happen Voldermort would have to ask Harry to "get out of the way" so he could kill whom ever. In her interview with emerson, JKR talked about why Lily's sacrifice was different from James's. Because Voldermort asked her to move, her death caused the "old magic" that protected harry. She had a choice to save herself, but didn't. James, was never asked to get over of the way to save himself, so even though his death was heroic it wasn't the same as lily's

what this means is, LV would have to ask Harry to move out of the way. WHy would he do that? LV wants Harry dead, he would just kill him. The only thing LV would tell him to move away from is his last horcrux, and that certainly would not cause the "love magic " to throw the curse back at him.

Instead, Someone else, like Ginny, Hermione, or Ron would have to sacrifice themselves similar to Lily for this to work i think. But would their love be the same as a mothers love?

I think this is a good idea, but I'm not sure if it will happen like this, especially since JKR made it a point to stress the difference between Lily and James's sacrifices.

here's the link for those who haven't read it yet. It's at the bottom of the page: http://www.mugglenet.com/jkrinterview.shtml

notonthelips
July 26th, 2005, 1:56 am
I love some of the theories like Harry being a certain hbp thing, or him having to kill himself. If at the beginning of the series someone suggested the latter i would have vehemently denied such ideas but lately J.K. has really been shocking me. I like to think he'll be made weak by a weapon (such as the gryffindor sword) then killed with the Avada Kedavra.

r2e
July 26th, 2005, 1:59 am
While your Hogwarts theory is good, I think you could gain more support if you weren't so inflametory with your remarks on other peoples theories.

I don't think I have to rethink anything. Have you ever heard of Dementors being driven away with anything besides a Patronus, and can you imagine any happy thoughts Voldemort could think of after being beaten by Harry?

Next time I think you should take time to read a post before saying something about it.

Troll

Hmmm, first of all thank you for your comments on my theory,

Secondly, I did take time to read the post(s) and I seriously do not agree with dementors taking down a really powerful dark wizard.

Think about it, he could apparate, he would have many DE's around him that would have happy thoughts.

Also, happy thoughts are subjective to every person. Voldemort would find a sick pleasure in torturing an animal, human etc and i think this would be enough to produce a patronus.

Troll? are you calling me one? or are you signing off? you really should make this clearer.

jasmeet
July 26th, 2005, 2:02 am
Hmmm, onemanarmy you bring up some excellent points. I do have to agree with you there, though I strongly believe that Harry does have to kill Voldemort with some "love" thing, and it can't be, as my sister suggested, Harry saying "I love you Voldemort" and Voldemort exploding...lol (that was a joke! I don't want angry people coming after me!)

jenwags
July 26th, 2005, 2:04 am
Im not sure but for some reason I have a feeling that GG sword will come into play. I think it will be part of Voldys end. I do however think that Ginny will be a major part of that, she will be what Harry would risk his life for. What I hope is that Neville will get the chance to avenge his parents by taking on Bella. I have a feeling that we will see them all together before it is all said and done.

onemanarmy
July 26th, 2005, 2:06 am
Hmmm, onemanarmy you bring up some excellent points. I do have to agree with you there, though I strongly believe that Harry does have to kill Voldemort with some "love" thing, and it can't be, as my sister suggested, Harry saying "I love you Voldemort" and Voldemort exploding...lol (that was a joke! I don't want angry people coming after me!)

Hahaha. I can picture it in my head. That would be pretty dumb though wouldn't it?

But you are right. He has to kill him with love. And i think your argument would work if Voldermort actually would give him a chance to escape, but I'm not sure. I'm also not happy with the idea of Harry dying for obvious reasons.

Mouseykins
July 26th, 2005, 2:08 am
Because Harry knows Voldemort's past and that is supposed to 'help' him, I think Harry will have to convince Voldemort he was loved by the teachers and his mother. I can imagine Harry yelling out "She was trying to help you" while dodging Voldemort's spells. In the end, Voldemort is on his knees yelling "NOOOOOOO!".Then he dies.

indreams
July 26th, 2005, 2:10 am

man, that would be great. i would love that. it would be kinda stupid, but funny. maybe harry can have a dream with that happening. it would be funny, but not real. that would be perfect.

i think love will have to play in somehow and perhaps someone will have to sacrifice thier life. maybe it will be snape. not to say he is a loving guy but....if he were to get in the way of harry LV would tell him to move as he thinks he is a death eater, but he wont. wouldnt that be a nice twist?

haryandginny7
July 26th, 2005, 2:13 am
harry will kill voldy by love its his strongest wepon. i agree with jen wags about the ginny and might use the sword. i think ron will get that whwere wolf back for wat he did to bill. harry will kill snape and malfoy as well

Raphael
July 26th, 2005, 2:14 am
the crappiest ending would be somebody actually using Avada Kedavra on a mortal Voldy

Devi
July 26th, 2005, 2:14 am
Well, I said this in a another thread, but I think Harry will take Voldy out on a date, then snogg him to death. LOVE is the answer, my friends.

But seriously, now that Snape has become "bad" in the eyes of Harry and the Order, I think that he will redeem himself by sacrificing himself for Harry. (I don't have a theory yet on what will happen when yet another person dies for Harry...)

Harry's NOT that powerful of a wizard at the moment. I don't care how hard he studies in the next year, he's NOT going to be on equal footing with LV. Therefore, some sneaky LOVE plot trick is going to have to be LV's downfall. It's the only thing that "killed" him before.

jo schmo
July 26th, 2005, 2:19 am
perhaps wormtail will fulfill his debt to harry and sacrifice himself for harry? i just can't accept that harry will die.

jasmeet
July 26th, 2005, 2:20 am
Because Harry knows Voldemort's past and that is supposed to 'help' him, I think Harry will have to convince Voldemort he was loved by the teachers and his mother. I can imagine Harry yelling out "She was trying to help you" while dodging Voldemort's spells. In the end, Voldemort is on his knees yelling "NOOOOOOO!".Then he dies.

Now I find an ending like that be EXTREMELY cheezy...Voldemort has already gone too evil to suddenly feel remorse and love at the 11th hour. Was he loved by his teachers? No, his teachers fell for his superficial act. Was he loved by his mother? Possibly, but then again she died rather than survive for him.

Raphael
July 26th, 2005, 2:20 am
I wouldn't put it past JKR to kill of Harry, might be her excuse to end the series

jasmeet
July 26th, 2005, 2:21 am
perhaps wormtail will fulfill his debt to harry and sacrifice himself for harry? i just can't accept that harry will die.

If this theory was to be real, I don't think SOMEONE else has to sacrifice. Remember, its Harry that supposed to do "whatever it is he has to do" to kill Voldemort. To have someone sacrifice themselves again for him is not really doing anything is it?

sweetpea
July 26th, 2005, 2:23 am
i read an article once about how people were analyzing characters names and comparing them to what happened to them in history. jk was wondering why no one had focused on hermione, well! i looked for hermione and found out that she was in a greek play or shakespeare story and had sacrificed herself for her husband ( something to that effect) since hermione often comes up with solutions to things, perhaps she'll sacrifice herself (and yes i know, harry is supposed to do the destroying, but he usually has help along the way)

hermionegirl4
July 26th, 2005, 5:58 am
During the battle in the end of book 5, Harry hadn't managed to kill anyone. At the end of book 6, he tried to kill Snape (or at least attack him), and he hadn't managed so. Seeing how Snape isn't nearly as powerful as Voldemort, and Voldemort has 10 times Harry's knowledge...I don't see how Harry is going to battle him, even if the death eaters don't get involved in the battle. Besides, how is Harry going to survive before encountering Voldemort? Harry now has to go on these dangerous tasks looking for horcruxes..and since no one really knows what he's doing besides his friends and maybe other close adults, he has no protection. There are no Ministry cars to drive him everywhere, no teachers that can find excuses to walk him places, and since he is soon turning 17, no protection for the spell his mom cast on him. Not to mention that destroying the horcruxes might (and most likely will) be dangerous, but he has to make sure he isn't attacked before he finds the horcruxes, and then he has to find Voldemort before Voldemort finds him..and all this, without any help from the ministry whatsoever...how will he manage this?

I keep opening threads and finding out later that there already threads on that topic...and when i searched it, i couldn't find anything...so i copied this from the closed thread...sorry if you already read this:/

dobby40
July 26th, 2005, 6:04 am

Excellent. I was thinking the same thing, mostly. Harry will destroy all the Horcruxes and let Voldy know before several of his Death Eaters. He will destroy Nagini last, obviously as Voldemort keeps Nagini close by. Then either Voldy dies from not being able to bear Harry's forgiveness, or Snape kills him. I'm thinking on the fly here...Voldy is "arrested" and his last bit of soul goes into the pit of a Dementor. A fate worse than death?

I don't know who's side Snape is on. I think he's his own man through and through.

Oh, and then Harry dies from injuries sustained in the battle to destroy Nagini. Sorry, he must die. Or more books could be written and they'd be so lame.

sloWrydr32
July 26th, 2005, 7:05 am

yes i think he will kill VM. this prophosy has come true because VM acted on it. my question is, will JKR continue to make HP a lucky hero or will she use book seven to impower harry with the knowledge to do the task he now has. will he be smart enough to seek help from the people in the order that can teach him spells that will help him. is there defenesive knowledge he could still learn? if not, why do they teach DADA to 7th years? and lets face it. harry's year has been taught less about DADA than any previouse year. he has already took that first step by telling genny he had to distance himself from her to protect her and himself. goodness, it seems i could go on forever. does he become the powerfull wizard the hat said he was or tote a four leaf clover to battle VM?

Nighttide
July 26th, 2005, 7:17 am
Perhaps, in the end (and maybe this has already been said -- I haven't read the entire thread) Harry Potter chooses to let Tom Riddle live. After all that Voldemort has done, all the problems he's caused for Harry, for Harry to just turn around and walk away would be something altogether extraordinary.

It reminds me of how Frodo felt about Gollum; sure he was "evil" (or had bad intentions), but it wasn't altogether his own fault. He was the product of misfortune. Tom Riddle is the same in that, his feelings toward the world weren't shaped in one day. His life, from the beginning when his Muggle father abandoned his mother, hasn't been the best.

Harry is also similar. And there is a quote that I link to Dumbledore (associated with Albus, anyway) that points to "The evil in all that is good, and the good in all that is evil." Dumbledore sought the best in the worst, and I think that Harry will do the same. He'll attempt to understand Tom Riddle (which we've begun to do already with HBP). And in doing so have mercy. Perhaps the same sort of affection that Lily unknowingly used to save Harry's life.

Or he'll Avada Kedavra him to next Tuesday.

Who knows.

PrtVeela
July 26th, 2005, 7:34 am
Perhaps, in the end (and maybe this has already been said -- I haven't read the entire thread) Harry Potter chooses to let Tom Riddle live. After all that Voldemort has done, all the problems he's caused for Harry, for Harry to just turn around and walk away would be something altogether extraordinary.

It reminds me of how Frodo felt about Gollum; sure he was "evil" (or had bad intentions), but it wasn't altogether his own fault. He was the product of misfortune. Tom Riddle is the same in that, his feelings toward the world weren't shaped in one day. His life, from the beginning when his Muggle father abandoned his mother, hasn't been the best.

Harry is also similar. And there is a quote that I link to Dumbledore (associated with Albus, anyway) that points to "The evil in all that is good, and the good in all that is evil." Dumbledore sought the best in the worst, and I think that Harry will do the same. He'll attempt to understand Tom Riddle (which we've begun to do already with HBP). And in doing so have mercy. Perhaps the same sort of affection that Lily unknowingly used to save Harry's life.

Or he'll Avada Kedavra him to next Tuesday.

Who knows.

:lol: I like the way you ended that! I think that Harry would like nothing more to let Tom Riddle live, however, I believe that Tom Riddle will make it so that Harry has no choice. As Dumbledore stated if both decided to walk away from the prophecy they could go on living their lives, but Voldemort will not do this, because he beleives in it fully. I think that it is only human for people to believe that there is redemption in this world. I know I do, I do not believe that Voldemort the person he is now could ever be redeamed. Anyone who has gone to the lengths he has, just so he can be immortal? Not to mention the countless other actions he has taken against innocent people. I cannot forsee someone like that seeing the error of their ways. For this reason and the others in which I have stated I bleieve Harry will end up killing Voldemort. But as you say...who knows ? :D

I definatley think you have a point in regards to Harry attempting some understanding of Tom Riddle, because it would be only through understanding him that he could rid of Voldemort. It would not just be that though, Harry I think fears the fact that he resmebles Tom Riddle and in understanding Tom Riddle he may better understand himself, and the choices he has made and what makes them so different, as he has already begun to do in HBP. I totally agree with you in that respect.

Malfurion
July 26th, 2005, 7:56 am
Hmmm, first of all thank you for your comments on my theory,

Secondly, I did take time to read the post(s) and I seriously do not agree with dementors taking down a really powerful dark wizard.

Think about it, he could apparate, he would have many DE's around him that would have happy thoughts.

Also, happy thoughts are subjective to every person. Voldemort would find a sick pleasure in torturing an animal, human etc and i think this would be enough to produce a patronus.

Troll? are you calling me one? or are you signing off? you really should make this clearer.

Do you really think the DE's would save Voldemort if he got beaten by Harry?

This would happen immediatly after he got his a** handed to him. No chance to recover from *supposed* dual, and no time to regain his awareness of his surroundings.

w/e it's just a theory...all I know is that Voldemort will either get everything he wants or nothing.

He is not redeemable like...Darth Vader...and so their is no real gray area for him to escape to.

I'm not saying he'll die, but he'll either win or lose.

Laxbassist
July 26th, 2005, 8:16 am
Voldemort's Death

Harry, suddenly becomes calm, and says "No, Tom, I'm not like you. You'll be brought in front of the Wizengamot and spend the rest of your life in Azkaban. Perhaps the Dementors will even give you a kiss. I'm sure they would relish that.

Why would LV fear the dementors? They are on his side, I think Harry Will Kill LV but Avada Kedrava will not be used, I believe Rowling would be a little more creative then that. Also how can it be considered Murder when it's in self defense?

Then again just to play devils advocate he may defeat LV the same way Dumbledore defeated Grindewald (Sp?) because we don't know if or how Dumbledore killed him, we just know that Grindewald was defeated

SaintAelphaba
July 26th, 2005, 8:22 am
r2e, I must say I disagree with your thoughts regarding Voldemort's ability to generate a Patronus. Although I do agree essentially that a dementor finishing Voldy is both anticlimatic and implausible (why would it go for someone with so many rotten, miserable memories of malicious glee, failure, and fury when Harry's right there with all of his beautiful thoughts of his friends and loved ones?), I do NOT believe Voldy is capable of generating a good, solid corporeal Patronus.

If you want to know why, I refer you to my posts on this thread:
Voldemort's Patronus? (http://www.cosforums.com/showpost.php?p=2684523&postcount=83)

Dupsi
July 26th, 2005, 8:31 am
Well I think Harry will die. And I think he will die before the last battle. Maby the second to last one. I assume there will be quite a few fights, and the tri+co will maby kill more people then just LV? I mean they have to figure out where he is, and I assume people hold this information, meaning lots of fights. Or maby they almost kill these people, but only kill LV. Anyways, I think Neville will kill LV in the last battle with his love. Im not sure of Snapes fate. But I think hes a good guy, and he lives. But I dont want him in the last battle because we would get a Darth vader killing the Emperor ending. And I dont think Jo will do that.

ylh98
July 26th, 2005, 9:44 am
Is the Spoiler Prohibition lifted yet? Here are some small SPOILERS, don't read on if you don't want spoilers.

My wild theory: When all horcruxes are destroyed, Harry finds away to fuse his soul with LV, which will make him suffer "mortal pain" (Dumbledore said something like that). And this might not make LV die, but rather drain him of his magical powers. At the end, LV will be completely powerless, locket up and harass the world no more (like Saruman in the Lord of the Rings). Whether Harry will come out unharmed in this process is hard to say, though having him died in the process will make it a more dramatic ending.

Samara
July 26th, 2005, 10:02 am
I doubt he will use an unforgivible though. It just doesn't seem like him.

He tried to use the Cruciatus Curse against Bellatrix Lestrange at the end of GOF. I think in extreme situations he does have it in him to use unforgivable curses.

karolyn
July 26th, 2005, 10:42 am
well i think that eventhough harry has indeed the ability to love, the prophecy does say that harry cannot live whilst voldermort is alive and vice versa. and i also think that it is harry's destiny to kill voldermort and not snape's or anyone else's. plus snape is evil...furthermore i think harry has suffered too much from voldermort's doing. killing him is the only way out.

i really think people are forgetting the prophecy...harry HAS to kill voldermort, dememtors are on voldemort's side so the scenario of them giving LV the kiss is v. unlikely. personally i just think harry will have to kill voldermort especially after the long journey...

SaintAelphaba
July 26th, 2005, 11:11 am
karolyn, while you bring up the excellent point concerning the terms of the prophecy, remember that prophecies are essentially CONTRACTS. If the parties upon which a contract is incumbent fundamentally reject the terms of the contract, the contract is void. This is the very nature of ALL divination (and I'm not just talking about in the HP series--I've studied this stuff). Indeed, Dumbledore himself tells Harry: ". . .[T]he prophecy does not mean you have to do anything . . ." The prophecy's fulfillment relies upon the willingness of the involved parties to accept the terms of the contract. If Harry and Voldy both looked at each other and said, "You know what? Let's not. Let's just not. You do your thing, I'll do mine, live and let live", the prophecy would be left unfulfilled.

Now, the aforementioned scenario is HIGHLY IMPROBABLE, but there still is plenty of room for Harry to negotiate the "you-die-or-he-dies" clause of the prophecy without actually dissolving into a fluffy-happy-forgive-and-forget scene.

Furthermore, concerning Harry's ability to pull off Unforgivables: we know that Harry is at least CAPABLE of mustering the magical force required to cast the Cruciatus Curse. However, Harry has yet to fulfill the proper terms of the Cruciatus Curse. As Bellatrix told him in the MoM, he lacked the honest, pure desire to cause suffering simply for suffering's sake, to delight in the agony of another person. She makes the distinction between righteous wrath (which we all know Harry has droves of) and sadism. Harry never has cast a proper Cruciatus Curse--he knows the incantation, he is able to call forth the magical effort, but he lacks the key component of sadistic enjoyment.

As to whether the Imperius Curse and Avada Kedavra have similar terms (the pure desire to dominate the will of another, the pure desire to extinguish life--as opposed to just retribution), that remains to be seen. Harry may very well be capable of casting Avada Kedavra, or he may not. I think what really matters is: would Harry want to end the life of another person, even one as twisted and detestable as Voldemort?

Oh, and that brings up another issue that the very existence of Horcruxes has raised: if Harry were to kill Lord Voldemort with Avada Kedavra, would he himself not be mutilating his own soul, just as Voldy did? What is the point of destroying a monster if one must become a monster in the process? Do the ends justify the means, in this case?

sas988
July 26th, 2005, 11:46 am
well i think that eventhough harry has indeed the ability to love, the prophecy does say that harry cannot live whilst voldermort is alive and vice versa. and i also think that it is harry's destiny to kill voldermort and not snape's or anyone else's. plus snape is evil...furthermore i think harry has suffered too much from voldermort's doing. killing him is the only way out.

i really think people are forgetting the prophecy...harry HAS to kill voldermort, dememtors are on voldemort's side so the scenario of them giving LV the kiss is v. unlikely. personally i just think harry will have to kill voldermort especially after the long journey...
1st: I don't think that the prophecy's words: "one cannot live whilst the otherone is alive" is a direct sign that Voldemort has to die. Yes if given the chance to kill Harry, he certainly will, but I think that the point of the books, or at least the plot of the last book, will be that Harry spares his life, casting Voldemort into the deepest hole, making him unable to do magic, or something like that. I think it would be "too easy" just to kill Voldemort, that there must be something behind it.

2nd: I don't think Snape is evil; yes Harry is definantly not one of Harrys biggest fans, but there might be reasons for that. I think Snape sees a lot in Harry that he had also seen in Harrys father when they were children. And as we know, Harrys father and Snape where not good friends, in fact a large rivalry was going on between them. Harry is also a constant reminder of his biggest mistake, taking the information he had collected, and bringing it to Voldemort, sealing Lilys death, in whom he was very much in love.

karolyn
July 26th, 2005, 12:12 pm
No Spoilers

Archidemes
July 26th, 2005, 12:43 pm
Well, I think that it will be a really large massive full- scale war. You know... Oreder vs. Death Eaters... I dunno, for a dramatic effect :eyebrows: and then, maybe, it will be one on one in the end.. but maybe.. somehow... Dumbledore's spirit will be there for him. hehe :tu:

riddlesmom
July 26th, 2005, 12:59 pm
There are worse things than Death, remember? I don't think Voldemort will die per se without some sort of realization that Love is a more powerful magic than his own. I don't know how this will happen, but we know it can't happen through wands. We'll see though, I'm sure it will be amazing.

I;m betting that Voldermort will die in the presence of true love. And somehow, Harry and Ginny's love will be the death of Voldermort.

SaintAelphaba
July 26th, 2005, 3:29 pm
but how do u explain snape killing dumbledore????isnt that the v. proof hes evil

karolyn, first of all, please edit that statement. wrap it in a spoiler tag, as it's the biggest spoiler of book six.

secondly, no, Snape's murder of Dumbledore doesn't necessarily mean that Snape betrayed Dumbledore. Firstly, you must consider the circumstances: 1) if Dumbledore didn't die, Draco Malfoy would have; 2) due to the Unbreakable Vow, which was made without Voldemort's knowledge as evidenced by Bellatrix's scandalized reaction, Snape would also die had he not fulfilled the three conditions of the Vow (that is, keeping an eye on Draco, protecting Draco from harm, and if necessary--if Draco could not finish the task Voldy had set upon him himself--seeing through Draco's goal in Draco's place); 3) Dumbledore knew of Draco's plans to kill him and despite this, had only Draco's own protection in mind (it might be added that Dumbledore seems to value his own life very little); 4) there is no canonical proof which states that when Dumbledore was pleading with Snape just prior to Snape's AKing of him that Dumbledore was pleading for his life--he may, in fact, have been pleading for Snape to kill him in order to protect Draco and Snape, as well as to prevent Snape's cover from being blown in front of four DE's; 5) there were four DE's on the Astronomy Tower. Had Snape not killed Dumbledore, they would have, and then they would have turned on Snape for his betrayal of the Dark Lord; 6) Dumbledore knew that Harry was there. It's entirely likely that Snape was aware of Harry being with Dumbledore as well (being the intelligent man he is and having taken in the two broomsticks). Dumbledore knew (and so, probably, did Snape) that the longer the DE's were on the Astronomy Tower, the more likely they were to give thought to the additional broom and possibly bump into Harry. If something was to be done, it had to be done quickly; 7) after killing Dumbledore and fleeing, Snape only lost his temper with Harry when he attempted to use Snape's own spells upon him (I'm certain that his seething anger about Harry taking credit for his work, coupled with his unsavoury memories of James just exploded at this point) and when Harry called him a coward (which, given the fact that he just murdered Dumbledore--and would likely become the most despised wizard right after Voldemort because of how this act of bravery would be perceived by the Ministry, the Order, and the Daily Prophet--was a very incendiary thing to call Snape). BUT, despite ALL of this, Snape caused Harry very little physical damage and declined from killing him--despite all of his hatred for James, despite all of the things Harry was doing and saying that were setting Snape off left and right; 8) what's more, Snape--knowing that he'd have to appear to be joining with Voldemort openly now--for all of his supposed wickedness in killing Dumbledore, did no more damage than Stupefying Flitwick and a scratch to Harry's face. Had he truly wanted to cripple the Order, if he were TRULY working for Voldemort and blowing his cover within the Order, he could have done a LOT more than that; 9) even in the midst of fleeing, when fending off Harry's attacks, Snape (albeit jeeringly) seemed to be giving Harry advice--to close his mind and his mouth . . . learning Occlumency and nonverbal magic might be vital for Harry if he wishes to survive Voldemort, that is.

There you have it. I'll grant you this is but ONE interpretation of Snape's "betrayal", and there is quite enough room for Jo to make him out to be a true traitor, but these points are the thrust the argument against Snape being evil.

But I digress; this discussion's really meant for the HBP section of the forums.

DrJ
July 26th, 2005, 4:36 pm
EDIT: Sorry no HBP spoilers in this area :)

SaintAelphaba
July 26th, 2005, 6:12 pm

mustkillsnape
July 26th, 2005, 7:01 pm

Dedalus Diggle
July 26th, 2005, 7:12 pm
Harry will gain compassion for Tom Riddle and cease to be his enemy (although still an opponent) The body-recreation charm requires 'blood of the enemy': so if Harry is no longer an enemy, the spell will fail and Voldy will evaporate.

brandnizzle10
July 26th, 2005, 8:01 pm
this may have already been posted, but i think it would be very ironic if Harry mananged to lure, or push Voldemort through the veil in the Dept. of Mysteries. After all, that would kill Voldemort, but Harry wouldn't have to use an unforgiveable

Oliver_Wood
July 26th, 2005, 8:17 pm
I did a search and didn't find anything, so here we go:

All through the series it has been about Harry being full of love and courage. It has been said that to cast an unforgiveable curse, you have to be full of anger and hate and want to cause damage. As we saw in OotP when Harry tried to use the Cruciatas Curse against Bellatrix, he didn't have the capability to cast it for long. As evil as Voldemort is, will he be able to kill him?

I heard an interesting theory (it's based on Snape not being evil, and being in love with Lily), that at the end Snape would be the one to kill Voldemort as revenge for killing Lily and everything else. What do you think?

rpeterson36
July 26th, 2005, 8:20 pm
I have a feeling that enough hatred will be summoned in order to do the killing. On the other hand, someone else might kill LV.

I heard an interesting theory (it's based on Snape not being evil, and being in love with Lily), that at the end Snape would be the one to kill Voldemort as revenge for killing Lily and everything else. What do you think?

I believe that this theory might be correct as it goes along the lines with everything else.

Otherwise, there might be some spell everyone will conjure at the same time and together kill LV. Don't know :huh: .

SiriusBlack22
July 26th, 2005, 8:24 pm
I think that Harry could summon enough hatred when he meets Voldemort because:

-Voldemort is the reason James and Lily are dead
-Voldemort is the reason he has had a troublesome life
-Voldemort is the reason Sirius is dead
-Voldemort is the reason the whole wizarding world is collapsing

I'd say that those would make me pretty mad. So, I can't imagine Harry not being able to perform the Avada Kedavra curse at age 17. I don't think that Snape will come to the rescue or anything of the sort... but I do think he might have had feelings for Lily. Although, I don't see Snape coming to Harry's aid in the end, I don't think that Snape is evil. Dumbledore trusted him for some reason. Whatever the reason is... I think we shoud trust Snape too.

Emmadesheres
July 26th, 2005, 8:26 pm
Technically, Harry will kill 5 parts of Voldemort's soul (Diary already done), but Ron and Hermione can have some to destroy to. Dumbledore has destroyed the ring. I think that Snape'll destroy Voldemort himself, because of Lily, Malfoy (he seems to really like all the family), or just a habit of casting the Avada Kedavra to his masters.

DrJ
July 26th, 2005, 8:54 pm
DrJ, while you bring up some interesting points, I still do not see a straightforward way for Harry to bypass the soul-mutilation that willfully killing another human being causes. For Harry to deliberately, say, AK Voldemort or use some arcane magic we have no knowledge of yet (be it an artefact of Gryffindor or the sheer force of love and emotion) to destroy Voldemort, in the end, it amounts to a decision to destroy another person which is followed through upon.

I didn't say that the potential ancient magic left behind by Gryffindor is necessarily a Dark art. On the contrary, I think it very unlikely that Harry will be able to defeat the master of the Dark Arts with Dark Arts. (My addition about Harry practising Dark Arts at the Burrow is simply that I think he will believe it necessary). The magic necessary may very well be based upon love, which Voldemort cannot know and defeat. If I have to guess, I would suggest that the special magic that can defeat Voldemort is the act of self-sacrifice. THe Potter residence at Godric's Hollow has already seen tremendous acts of self-sacrifice, which has bestowed upon Harry the protection he currently enjoys (at least for a few more months). In the final battle, at Godric's Hollow, Harry will sacrifice himself in the effort to save someone or something. It goes something like this: Voldemort has Ron/Hermione/Ginny/Neville/somebody cornered in the Potter residence at Godric's Hollow. Voldemort casts the AK curse at them. Harry steps in the way, his sacrifice for his friends. The curse does not kill Harry, but rebounds and destroys Voldemort. It does so because of the ancient magic of love and self-sacrifice that the house is filled with and which Harry is filled with. The act of self-sacrifice by Harry alone repels the AK curse. This magic was set in motion by Gryffindor, not Lily Potter. It was activated by Lily's sacrifice and fulfilled by Harry's. That is, Harry could not be filled with the powers of self-sacrifice if his mother had not done so (another key difference between Voldemort and Harry). In the end, Voldemort destroys himself by not knowing or understanding the powers of love and self-sacrifice. Voldemort would then have created every step in the process of fulfilling the prophecy. Harry only needs to be in the right place at the right time and be a true Gryffindor, displaying bravery and honour. Thus, the prophecy is fully self-fulfilling, as Dumbledore alludes too and warns Harry about.

Varexarnon
July 26th, 2005, 9:51 pm
You know, for all this stuff about love, you seem to have forgotten that the prophecy clearly states one of them will kill each other. he may not do it using a killing curse or anything like that, but he has to do it, he can't just leave voldemort defeated.

Actually, come to think of it, he might even try the killing curse, i mean he's tried the cruciatus one more than once already... I doubt he will, but theres nothing stopping him

As to my theory of how it will end, i just think Harry will sacrifice himself to do so... I like it to keep it vague, so i won't be completely suprised when JK comes out with something that none of us have been expecting

Mercer
July 26th, 2005, 9:54 pm
hmmm, I wonder if it could be that Harry will not have the chance to kill V. That as V is about to kill/battle Harry someone will slip a knife in his back. It could be Petunia! I can see it now, V shows up at Privat Dr. and Harry has returned to save the Dursley's. The battle makes a wreak of the House, and Petunia will come up and stab V in the back with a kitchen knife. She will then tell Harry "You will clean up this mess you have made in my house young man, I will not have this trash in my house."
:)

Mercer

latiem
July 26th, 2005, 9:57 pm
I definately think that Harry will be angry enough to kill VM.

Don't forget if he destroys all horcruxes VM will be mortal so the avada kedavra might not be neccessary to kill VM. (Harry stabs VM :rotfl:)

I don't think Snape will aid Harry with his mission I think Snape looks out for Snape. As for vengeance for Lilly well I don't quite beleieve that Snape had feelings for her.

eleanorruby
July 26th, 2005, 10:02 pm
we shouldn't be worried about whether or not harry could carry out that particular murder. he has every reason to be filled with an all-encompassing hate of voldemort, and he is. i'm sure that when it's time for him to fight voldemort, he will be more than prepared to do so.

i doubt he could ever kill anyone else, though. it's just not in his nature - even if it were a different death eater. the feelings simply aren't as strong, and the good would outweigh the evil.

lupislune
July 26th, 2005, 10:04 pm
I think many of the things that have happened so far in the series have given Harry the anger to perform the killing curse. I don't think, however, that Harry will use this to vanquish Voldemort. I think it will be tied in the the theme of Love as it is the power that Voldemort knows not.

Turtles
July 26th, 2005, 10:06 pm
I don't think that it will take hatred for Harry to kill Voldemort. Throughout the entire series Voldemort continuously underestimates the powerful magic of love. In the end, I believe that Voldemort's refusal to love will be the thing that brings about his downfall.

Elkhound
July 26th, 2005, 10:14 pm
I agree with all of you who have said that Harry won't kill LV. With all of the emphasis placed on Harry's ability to love, that really has to be the key. Harry is not a more powerful wizard than LV because of his abilities to cast spells, he is more powerful because he capable of love. I don't think that the wands with have much if anything to do with it, because that was already used in GoF. I think it may even end up having something to do with Harry feeling sorry for LV because he is incapable of love.

I think that is it. Harry will learn to love LV, or at least to love the Tom Riddle he used to be, and will put all the power of that love into a healing spell.

I have an image of Voldedmort then transformed back into Tom, and Tom, realizing the full enormity of what he has done as Voldemort, collapsing in tears. The remaining members of the Order of the Phoenix and Dumbledore's Army, after battling their way through the Death Eaters, will find Harry holding the weeping Tom Riddle in his arms, comforting him. Harry looks up and says something like,

"Lord Voldemort is no more. I would like you to meet my new friend, Thomas Marvolo Riddle."

Then Riddle will lift his head, and we see his forehead marked with a scar identical to Harry's. (Remember, "Thomas" in Hebrew means 'the twin.')

Felagund
July 26th, 2005, 10:16 pm
I've been developing this theory for a while now, Love is what is going to destroy V so for a while i thought that harry would come up with a spell that would exemplify love, then i thought "love isnt a weapon", then i remembered that Lily's love created a shield for Harry against death and then i thought "what if you were to make a patronus but instead of allowing happiness to fill you you allowed love to fill you, then it would provide an effective barrier against the unforgiveable curses, so i think harry will do this then V will use the killing curse on Harry but it will be rebounded back on him like it did at the beginning only he wont have horcruxes to keep him alive this time

herm_own_ninn
July 26th, 2005, 10:16 pm
I don't think that Harry will kill Voldemort. He may have killed his parents but Harry also thought that Sirius Killed his parents. He had all the intention in the world to do it but he didn't. Also Harry's Voldemort is just like Draco's Dumbledore. Dumbledore put his father into prison and we know the Malfoys hated him. Yet he could not kill him. Harry I'm sure will have know trouble distroying the Horuxes(sp?) because they do not resemble human. Harry might even start to pitty him, as he would Snape if he had not been so horrible to him. As for Sape I'm sure he is still on the good side and will help distroy Voldy.

eleanorruby
July 26th, 2005, 10:19 pm
okay, disregard what i said before.

felagund's theory makes perfect sense.

herm_own_ninn
July 26th, 2005, 10:21 pm
It does. i did not see it before I typed mine in I like his better it seems more logical.

siriusfriend
July 26th, 2005, 10:28 pm
I don't think that it will take hatred for Harry to kill Voldemort. Throughout the entire series Voldemort continuously underestimates the powerful magic of love. In the end, I believe that Voldemort's refusal to love will be the thing that brings about his downfall.

I like where you are going with this. One of the things that I keep thinking about is not only does Harry have enough hatred to kill (which undoubtedly he does) but I wonder about Dumbledore. I don't know if he would have wanted Harry to kill LV since taking a life changes the killer, as well. It may become necessary, but how will it change Harry if he has to go through with it?

Turtles
July 26th, 2005, 10:35 pm
It may become necessary, but how will it change Harry if he has to go through with it?
The change would be drastic. That is one reason that I think Harry will defeat Voldemort by some other means that hatred.