Professors - Children & Marriage

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

seashell323
August 20th, 2002, 6:32 am
I've just been thinking about this lately...why aren't any of the professors at Hogwarts married or involved in a relationship? Or do you think they are and we just don't know about it? It just seems like the personal lives of all the professors are very secret. Dumbledore is very old, why wouldn't he have been married at some point in his life?

Cho Chang
August 20th, 2002, 7:08 am
Very interesting!!!

I was just thinking if Professor Lupin has a wife or not?! :??:

Kneazle
August 20th, 2002, 7:27 am
From the Red Nose Day Chat, March 12, 2001
Q: Have any of the Hogwarts professors had spouses?
A: Good question - yes, a few of them but that information is sort of restricted - you'll find out why.

So some of them have been/are married, but it's kind of kept secret. Who knows why. . .

Tinkie
August 20th, 2002, 9:33 am
wow... some of them were married. i thought that they werent married and they had devoted their lives to teaching... i cant wait to find out who was married and what happened

dobbygirl
August 20th, 2002, 9:53 am
I would imagine that most of teachers would've been married at some point in their lives, even if they aren't now. Remember, wizards live longer than Muggles so they could have a whole other life before staring to teach. I'm interested in finding out why that information is restricted though.

raeredeyes
August 20th, 2002, 12:18 pm
I think that the possibility of the professors being married is high. They probably just live seperately most of the year.
In some cases, that would be the best sort of marriage - they're never around all the time to annoy you, and when they are there, its so good to have them, that you forget how annoying that they are :D

i just hope Snape's not married. There's still hope!
If i cant have him, no one will *bwwah!*

JenBluffheid
August 20th, 2002, 1:03 pm
Remmie can't be married because he's married to me :D !
Lol!

Well, thanks to the quote that Kneazle kindly gave us, it is now apparent that they had spouses. Hope you don't mind if I do a list of the main teachers:

Snape: Iffy. I very much doubt that he's married. I do reckon that he's been in love, though (Lily).

McGonagall: High possibility. Since she's been in the world for quite a bit, she may have had a spouse.

Remmie: He better not ... Lol. By his nature, I'm positive that he has only had a "crush" or perhaps a girlfriend (me :sorry: ). I can't see him being married because of his being a werefolf. He wouldn't want to put his wife in danger, if he has one ...

Dumbledore: Very unsure. He may, he may not. I doubt he has married McGonagall, though. There's too much of an age gap ;) .

Flitwick: Hmmm ... he might. I can't see it, though. We don't know much about him, so I can't really tell.

Hagrid: Definitely not. He can't be married then fall in love with Madam Maxime, can he? Unless he's a "Scarlet 'man'", but I doubt it ;) .

Sam
August 20th, 2002, 2:52 pm
Interesting thread.....

I think that several of the teachers have been married or are married. But why don't they go home for holidays?
A spin on this question is to ask: do you think that some of the teachers are having romances on the side during the school year? Can you imagine Snape and McGonagal? Ugh.:rotfl:

Also, I think that there will be new teachers that come up in books 5, 6, and 7. So there could be even more room for romances.

But back to the original question. I agree that Dumbledore has been married. Can't you just see a lovable guy like that married?

seashell323
August 20th, 2002, 5:30 pm
I think that if any of the professors are currently married, it's probably McGonagall. I also think that Dumbledore was definitely married in the past. Like Sam said, he's such a great, loveable guy!! How could someone not have married him over the years? ;) I don't know about Snape...his love life is supposedly going to play a bigger role in upcoming books. I don't know if he was in love with Lily in the past, if he loved/was married to someone else, or if he is going to find someone new to fall in love with. Whatever the case, I really really don't think Snape is one of the currently married professors. And like Jen said, I doubt Remus has ever been married (or even in a serious relationship for that matter) cause he'd be afraid he would hurt the woman. I just wonder why all this is kept so secret...something about it must be important somehow.

Kneazle
August 20th, 2002, 5:42 pm
I think McGonagall's married, too. I doubt Lupin is, and definitely not Snape (agh). For some reason can't see Dumbledore married. I dunno why. . . he seems a very independent, singular person who gets along best when left alone. But he is so lovable! But I wonder who he'd marry. . . if he did have a wife she's probably dead.

HogwartsChaplain
August 20th, 2002, 5:51 pm
Only a few professors stay at Hogwarts during Christmas holidays. It's possible many of them go home with their families.

Someone named McGonagall was listed on James Potter's Quidditch trophy, and there's been speculation that it might have been one of the prof's kids.

While heads of house live in their wing, we don't know about the others. They could commute to Hogsmeade where they apparate home each evening, or at least on weekends and holidays.

Could be that some of their spouses were killed by Death Eaters during Voldemort's time-- at least, for some of the older profs.

Lots of ideas... but I'm out of computer time for today. :'(

Ghost
August 20th, 2002, 6:01 pm
Good question. I guess when you're at school it's hard to think of your teachers as having lives of their own.

McGonagall: Yeah, I can just see her as the tyrannical matriarch of a large family. :p

Lupin: Even with the danger of being a werewolf I see him with a sweet wife/girlfriend.

Snape: I can imagine him having a wife, if she'd died in tragic circumstances or was killed by Death Eaters or he had to kill her in some heartbreaking way. You can just tell this guy's been used and abused in every way possible. :p

Dumbledore: Nah, I just can't see it. He strikes me as the sort who was a bit of playboy in his younger days. ;)

Hagrid: *snort* I can see him with a wife, but it's neither human nor giant. :p

JenBluffheid
August 20th, 2002, 6:05 pm
Originally posted by Kneazle
I think McGonagall's married, too. I doubt Lupin is, and definitely not Snape (agh). For some reason can't see Dumbledore married. I dunno why. . . he seems a very independent, singular person who gets along best when left alone. But he is so lovable! But I wonder who he'd marry. . . if he did have a wife she's probably dead.

Nice confidence boost there, lol! :lol:

Manyasha
August 20th, 2002, 9:24 pm
Good question. :)
This is how I see it:
Dumbledore: I can't imagine him being married. Dunno why. :shrug:
McGonagall: very possible :yup:
Snape: who knows...for some strange reason I think he could be in the past.
Lupin: I don't think so. And if he is married, does his wife knows he's a werewolf?
Hagrid: definately not. Maybe in the future... He and Madam Maxime would make a nice big couple.

After all, the question is why does this information is so secret? I can't see any important reasons for it. :??:

groovypokie
August 20th, 2002, 9:33 pm
Originally posted by Kneazle

So some of them have been/are married, but it's kind of kept secret. Who knows why. . .

And the plot thickens. I bet some are married. I wonder what wizarding weddings are like? The teachers seem to be very secretive about their lives it seems like.

JenBluffheid
August 20th, 2002, 9:46 pm
Originally posted by Manyasha
After all, the question is why does this information is so secret? I can't see any important reasons for it. :??:

Hmmmm ...

Maybe McGonagall married Voldemort!!

OK... idiotic thought of the day is over.

Yes, I agree with you; what is so important about it? There's hardly any theories I can think of to do with it...

Edit: Ugh! Can't spell, can't type, don't understand what a question mark is...

Megan Mystic
August 21st, 2002, 8:25 pm
Ok The Thing Kneazle Posted about the chat well maybe it was kept secret because lily was snapes wife for a point of time and then wthats how she became a death eater! i rest my case!:D

JenBluffheid
August 21st, 2002, 8:33 pm
Ooh! Lily - The Scarlet Woman ...

No, lol!

That's worse than Hagrid being a Scarlet "man" :lol: .

HogwartsChaplain
August 21st, 2002, 8:38 pm
Originally posted by groovypokie
The teachers seem to be very secretive about their lives it seems like.
But how much do you know about the private lives of your teachers? Or other people in public or professional positions? I know that I often don't know much, especially when I was in junior high/high school, and often not in college.

Kneazle
August 21st, 2002, 9:09 pm
Good point, Evelyn!

Sinistra
August 22nd, 2002, 1:07 am
Well we know many people were killed and lives disrupted during the"Voldemort" years. I would guess a few lost spouses and/or children to Voldemort and his minions.

I have always imagined McGonagall as a widow. No real proof, just my surmise.

Dumbledore? He could have been married or not.

Snape--he has always struck me as the loved-and-lost type--it adds to his mystique, bitterness and mad-on he has for the world in general.

Hagrid, maybe he tried it once, but it didn't work out. I dunno, he could also be a perpetual batchelor.

Flitwick, I see him as married with children and grandchildren, all grown.

I wonder if Lockherat ever married? Probably only if he had to to get another book out. Then they divorced because neither could get the other out of the bathroom for all the primping! Lockheart's the type to marry another beauty-lover like himeslf--good for the image doncha know!:cool:

Romulus Lupin
August 22nd, 2002, 5:00 pm
I can't imagine Lockhart getting married to anyone who actually KNEW him. And besides, Lockhart would be taking a serious risk with the security of his secret methods if he let anyone get close.

As for why it's a "secret" regarding the spouses of the teachers... this is just another illustration of the futility of trying to theorize based on incomplete information. We don't know what's in JK's head - we can only guess. We've come up with some interesting theories, some possible, some wild, some even ludicrous (and NO, Crookshanks isn't anybody other than Crookshanks!), but we'll see what happens in 9.5 months when the next book comes out. Heck, we're not even sure of stuff that's happened in the books ALREADY, let alone what's going to happen. (Example: Did Snape already go on his 'mission' for Dumbledore at the end of book 4, and return before the Leaving Feast, or was it something he did afterward? I firmly believe the latter, but others, notably the Harry Potter lexicon, seem to think he's already done it.)

That being said...

Originally posted by Green Ink
Ok The Thing Kneazle Posted about the chat well maybe it was kept secret because lily was snapes wife for a point of time and then wthats how she became a death eater! i rest my case!:D

This stuff about Lily being a Death Eater... this too is a theory, and nothing more. It doesn't seem like a likely one, either, given Lily was in Gryffindor, hung out with Gryffindors, married a Gryffindor ("... and nicer people you'll never find"), and her parents were proud of her. She seems as far from the Death-Eater type as you can get. So
let's not bend too far backwards for the sake of making unlikely theories that have to be based on even MORE unlikely theories. :/

PoppyFairy
September 28th, 2002, 8:46 pm
i really dont think lockhart ever got married, do u think hes cool?????????i really dont. :p

Rowena Ravenclaw
September 28th, 2002, 9:45 pm
Originally posted by Romulus Lupin
I can't imagine Lockhart getting married to anyone who actually KNEW him. And besides, Lockhart would be taking a serious risk with the security of his secret methods if he let anyone get close.

Not really. A simple "Oblivate!" if she got too close to the truth (and, more importantly, if she showed signs of being bothered by it), and everything would be sunshine and roses again. But since I doubt Lockhart's capable of loving anyone other than himself, it's probably not an issue. ;)

Other than Flitwick and maybe Sprout, I have trouble seeing the teachers as married. But that's probably because (as other people have said) we only learn things about Hogwarts as Harry learns them, and I doubt he thinks much of the teachers as people with love lives.

Fuchsia
September 28th, 2002, 10:04 pm
I applaud them for not talking about their personal lives.
I only had one teacher refuse my annoying classmates
when they pried for information.

Hey! They could have a Prime of Miss Jean Brodie
storyline where the students follow Minerva to find out who she is dating. Maggie
Smith was Brodie. It would be funny. At least to me.

Inkwolf
September 28th, 2002, 10:16 pm
I think a lot of the teachers are probably married...but probably not the house heads. I'm sure that house heads are hired based on their being available to the students as much as possible, which means those with no home life of their own.

Snape doesn't seem like the type to have had a successful romance in his past. Too insecure. I think the rumor of his love life being in the books is just a rumor. JKR apparently didn;t answer when someone asked her if Snape would ever fall in love, and everyone took that to mean he would. :rolleyes: In my opinion, it's as likely to mean she never thought of him in a romantic way and it freaked her out. Snape's gotta come to terms with himself before he falls in love.

I could easily see any of the other house heads or Dumbledore having been married at some time in the past, though.

Fuchsia
September 28th, 2002, 10:19 pm
It is common knowledge that Snape was in love with Lily
and is really Harry's father. That is why he has black hair.

I don't know if I want Snape to fall in love. It was creepy
enough when Hagrid liked Maxim. "The first moment I saw you, I knew."
EWWWWWWWWW.

I heart Sirius
September 29th, 2002, 4:16 am
i always amused myself w/ the thoughts of him having some sort of girlfriend, or getting one later (of course i imagined her as me *ahrm* ^^;;) but anyways.
seriously, i dont think hed be that unloveable. and i can kinda see him w/ someone.
however, w/ how jkr portrays him and everything, i dont see her giving him a girl. i also dont see why his love life would come into play later on b/c i prolly wouldnt have anything to do plotwise, and that seems to be the reason why most things are done in harry potter.
*sigh* which is a shame cause itd be nice for him<3

Thayet
October 29th, 2002, 5:40 pm
*brings topic up again*

Maybe the teachers have relationships that JK doesn't show, or perhaps even they don't have relationships in working hours. And also, the books are focused very much on Harry.

dantares
October 29th, 2002, 6:11 pm
How old are the professors?
Of all, I think only McGonagall and Flitwick are the ones who are married. How old is Hargid actually. Of all, Hargid is the one least likely to be married since JKR says that Hargid lives in Hogwarts every single day. I think he's about 60+++ and he still is not married. And he falls in love with Mdm Maxim I think he's only about 40 in human years since wizards tend to have long life.

Kneazle
October 29th, 2002, 7:16 pm
About the staff ages-- from what we know, Hagrid is 65, McGonagall around 70, Dumblydore 150, and Snape (and Lupin) 35-36.

Liz
October 30th, 2002, 7:35 am
I can see McGonagall, Hagrid and Dumbledore being married at one stage or another..but Flitwick I cant..maybe because we dont know too much about him...and Snape..imagine his wife.....

Elangomatt
October 30th, 2002, 7:43 am
Originally posted by Liz
but Flitwick I cant..maybe because we dont know too much about him...and Snape..imagine his wife.....

I can imagine Flitwick having a wife....but she would have to be a bit smaller than him and that would probably be pretty hard to find.

As far as snape goes....does Narcissa Malfoy have a sister? Maybe Draco can play matchmaker between his favorite teacher and his aunt.
(LOL.....I am still chuckling at that statement....I can't imagine Snape having a wife or Draco playing matchmaker)

dantares
October 30th, 2002, 1:37 pm
Well, JKR had a tendency to make people very short. I mean Harry is said to be smaller than normal boys of his age. In PoA, he's about 13 and Cho Chang is still a head shorter than him. I bet Cho Chang is not more than 5 ft. She would look funny dancing with someone that is very tall (think Cedric). So I'm sure there is a someone for Flickwick who does not need to be shorter than him (since Hargid's Dad also married a giantess).

Lioness87
November 1st, 2002, 2:51 pm
Do you think that Dumbledore and McGonagall have something romantic between them....? I think I noticed it more in the movie than in the book....but what do you guys think?

kgonekrazy
November 1st, 2002, 8:11 pm
Up to this point in the books Harry has been considered a child. The nature of the professors personal relationships have not been a concern of his. Plus, it is not any of his business. As the books continue Harry will start to be respected as an adult. He will most likely work with the teachers to bring an end to Voldy. When he starts to work with the professors he will begin to look at them in a different light, that is when we will see more about their past and their relationships.

Puffskein
November 11th, 2002, 5:17 pm
That's a good point kgonekrazy. Harry and co. are only just realising that teachers are people too. Although teachers have been important in all the plots, the first time we saw one as a rounded person with real feelings was arguably when Lupin told his story - and he stopped teaching next day!

I too can see McGonagall as being or having been married, and I can imagine the concept of a Mrs Dumbledore, but certainly not a Mrs Snape. He's just so bitter!

daniel4hp
November 12th, 2002, 1:55 am
In PoA, he's about 13 and Cho Chang is still a head shorter than him. I bet Cho Chang is not more than 5 ft.
She can't be much more than 4 feet--if Harry is short for 13 he can only be about 5 feet, so if Cho is a head shorter, she can't be much more than four...

Back to the professors... probably some are married, some singe. Perhaps their husbands/wives live in Hogsmeade or they visit on weekends. As kgonekrazy pointed out, it has not been of much concern to Harry which is quite likely the reason we no so little.

mystically_mad
November 16th, 2002, 11:23 am
i can see flitwick married. as someone said before, with kids and grandkids all grown up. maybe the married teachers are ones that arent mentioned much, like proffessor vector the arithmancy teacher. snape does seem like the bitter fellow doesnt he. maybe he was married and she was death eater and the reason he changed sides back to the good side was because she was killed by voldemort or something (ok so its a little farfetched. ok alot farfetched) its just a theory (a stupid one at that)

Inkwolf
November 16th, 2002, 1:57 pm
You never know....maybe she dumped him because he was a Death Eater, and he quit because he was only doing it because he thought it would impress her. :D

mystically_mad
November 18th, 2002, 7:19 am
yeah maybe but why would he be that bitter? unless she didnt take him back anyway

Fuchsia
November 18th, 2002, 7:27 am
Snape has been bitter for a long time I take it. I think it is a build up of many things over the years. Quidditch, girls, abilities, jobs, etc.. I would love to be the one to take that chip off his shoulder.

lanifiel
November 18th, 2002, 7:38 am
Originally posted by Fuchsia
Snape has been bitter for a long time I take it. I think it is a build up of many things over the years. Quidditch, girls, abilities, jobs, etc.. I would love to be the one to take that chip off his shoulder.

I dont think hes bitter, I just think thats his nature...

Fuchsia
November 18th, 2002, 7:39 am
Okay, not bitter. Sour. :)
And I'll add the sweet. Man I make myself sick.

Caenne
November 18th, 2002, 8:35 am
It is common knowledge that Snape was in love with Lily
and is really Harry's father. That is why he has black hair.

I don't know if I want Snape to fall in love. It was creepy
enough when Hagrid liked Maxim. "The first moment I saw you, I knew."
EWWWWWWWWW.

Common knowledge?? I never heard that! And it'd be awfully difficult for him to look extraordinarily like James if he didn't have any Potter blood in him! :) And I kinda thought Hagrid was referring to knowing Maxime was half-giant in that quote :)

I can totally see Flitwick being married, he always reminds me of a teddy bear. Snape...hmm...I don't think he's married now and am not sure about the future, but I can see him having been married in the past and then something Voldemort did to his wife was what brought him to Dumbledore. McGonagall I always pictured as the spinster type, but that's just me. I guess I could see her as a widow. She'd be an awfully strict mom, though. I can't really see Dumbledore as having been married, although he obviously had a life before Hogwarts, so it's possible. If he's not currently married, though, I think his wife is dead. I dunno. I'm not really sure that any of the teachers are currently married, but I'm sure if it turns out to be important, JK will let us know.

lanifiel
November 18th, 2002, 8:37 am
Okay, not bitter. Sour. :)
And I'll add the sweet. Man I make myself sick.

Rofl you just know all the things to say in any conversation dont you ^_^

Fuchsia
November 18th, 2002, 8:40 am
Thank-you. Thank-you. I'm the life of any death day party.

Originally posted by Caenne
Common knowledge?? I never heard that! And it'd be awfully difficult for him to look extraordinarily like James if he didn't have any Potter blood in him! :) And I kinda thought Hagrid was referring to knowing Maxime was half-giant in that quote :)

Oh no that was meant to be sarcastic. I HATE that theory more than any other.

Caenne
November 18th, 2002, 8:44 am
Aahhh, good, I thought we had mentioned similar opinions on that theory on another thread, so it rather threw me, thanks Fuchsia :)

Fuchsia
November 18th, 2002, 8:46 am
I'm glad that is cleared up. I'd hate for you to think me a dunderhead. :)

lanifiel
November 18th, 2002, 9:42 am
I'm glad that is cleared up. I'd hate for you to think me a dunderhead. :)

The Heavens Forbid...

mystically_mad
November 19th, 2002, 2:20 am
I'm not really sure that any of the teachers are currently married, but I'm sure if it turns out to be important, JK will let us know. [/B][/QUOTE]

JKR has said that some of the teachers are married :p

mystically_mad
November 21st, 2002, 8:33 am
JKR has told us that some of the teachers are in fact married and i think that id believe her, dont you?

lanifiel
November 21st, 2002, 11:06 am
HAve some posts been deleted in this thread?

apples
November 21st, 2002, 8:45 pm
I think McGonagall has been married before! Remember on the Quidditch cup in the movie? It had James Potter's name down on it, and right next to him was a McGonagall. I think that's probably her kid! :) I think she's probably a widow, too.

Yoshi
November 21st, 2002, 8:51 pm
Really? I didn't notice that. Maybe it's one of the little details that JK tried to hide......

mystically_mad
November 22nd, 2002, 9:16 am
she doesnt try to hide them but they arent really relevant to the story

Inkwolf
November 22nd, 2002, 2:36 pm
I know I never met or heard of or wondered about the families of my schoolteachers....except in really rare cases.

Maybe now that Voldemort's on the rampage, some of the teachers will bring their families to Hogwarts for protection?

lanifiel
November 22nd, 2002, 8:16 pm
Maybe some of the teachers kids are all ready students and they just dont recognise them?

mystically_mad
November 23rd, 2002, 1:42 am
Originally posted by apples
I think McGonagall has been married before! Remember on the Quidditch cup in the movie? It had James Potter's name down on it, and right next to him was a McGonagall.

thats in the movie. in the books that isnt mentioned at all :cool:

Fuchsia
November 23rd, 2002, 3:21 am
My classmates were *always* asking the teachers for personal information. Maybe to stall having to learn. Sadly, most of the teachers obliged them.

lanifiel
November 23rd, 2002, 5:44 am
We would *never* ask our teachers for personal information. They were so... creepy...

mystically_mad
November 23rd, 2002, 7:17 am
some of our teachers are mad enough to talk normally to but some of the tyranical ahem ones we never talked to if we could avoid it

Ellen
January 7th, 2003, 6:26 am
Until Madame Maxime showed up, I thought there were a few hints that Hagrid was interested in McGonagall. Given her age, she could have been at Hogwarts about when Hagrid was. There's the kiss he gives her on the cheek when slightly drunk, and there's also her reaction when Ron and Harry tell her in Chamber of Secrets they were going to visit Hermione. She gets all teary and gives them permission to go, saying "Of course, I realize this has all been the hardest on the friends of those who have been . . . I quite understand." Since this is right after Hagrid has been taken off to Azkaban, I thought she was thinking of him. After book four, I wondered if perhaps they had been married and it hadn't worked out (hence, the first thing we hear her say about him is that his heart is in the right place but he isn't reliable).

Of course, this is all based on very little evidence and may mean nothing.

As to it being secret, I don't think it is. I know a teacher, she even uses 'Mrs' at work, and some of her students were still surprised to find out she was married (to quote one of them when he found out, "I think I'm gonna be sick"). Don't underestimate how oblivious students can be to the lives of adults around them, especially adults like teachers that most kids seem to think are kept in closets at school when class is over until someone turns them on in the morning).

lanifiel
January 7th, 2003, 7:01 am
No thats a good call Ellen, one that I hadnt thought about before. It might not be correct but its the kind of thing that might of jumped out and biten us later on :D

Welcome to the boards by the way!! :welcome: I hope you enjoy your stay with us!! First years are such a fresh breath of fresh air :)

mystically_mad
January 7th, 2003, 11:06 am
i had noticed that too ellen. welcome to the boards. :welcome:

hermiones mum
February 16th, 2003, 10:34 am
If Dumbledore was married when he was young and had a muggle wife she would have died by now, as dumbledore is 150 years plus. Any daughter or grandaughter that married would have a different last name, as would any of their children.

lanifiel
February 16th, 2003, 10:36 am
Oooooh the plot thickens. A very nice and deviant mind you have there herimones_mum, very nice indeed :)

hermiones mum
February 16th, 2003, 10:47 am
If you lived for along time would you dispose of money, belongings as those around you got older -like giving an inheritance to someone.
James Potter received lots of money from his family according to a JRK interview. Wouldn't a co-inventor of the philosophers stone have accrued some money?

SiriusBlack
February 16th, 2003, 10:48 am
That makes sense hermiones-mum, good thinking. Maybe there are many married ones, but just like Dumbledore's brother was mostly out of the story, that's how they treat their family. Out of the plot.

mystically_mad
March 31st, 2003, 8:36 am
Jk has said that some of the teachers are married. I think they probably live out of the way, maybe in Hogsmeade. Maybe the teachers who are married live in Hogsmeade and the teachers that dont live in the castle.

Auri DeMeer
March 31st, 2003, 2:06 pm
What makes me think is, why is the information "restricted"? Why is it a secret?

About the status of each teacher:

McGonagall - divorced. She may have married somebody like Lockhart and left him when she got to know him better.

Dumbledore - widower.

Lockhart - not married. He only loves himself.

Lupin - not married. I can see him rejecting a girlfriend only because he thinks he's dangerous for her; but she never knew the real reason why he didn't want to marry her.:'(

Snape - not married. Very reserved when young, too many secrets in his past now. He needs to give himself a second chance. (I don't think he was ever in love with Lily, quite on the contrary...)

Sprout - married. With a nice house and a well-kept garden.

Flitwick - married. A nice old couple...

Hagrid - not married. He's been waiting for Maxime.

Trelawny - living together. Her partners don't last long.

The spouses may live in Hogsmeade. Why will Harry learn this information?

smartypants
March 31st, 2003, 4:43 pm
Well, the ones you mentioned as married are also the ones we haven't seen running around in thei nightgown, so I would guess that if they are married, they have houses in Hogsmeade.

Trelawney, on her own admission, never leaves her tower. She is definitely single. :)

Barbara Kennedy
April 1st, 2003, 8:20 am
Aaaahaaahhh, but was she telling us the truth?

satisverborum
July 3rd, 2003, 12:34 pm
I think in an interview J.K gave an hint that maybe some teacher have children. Which of the Hogwarts teacher may have a child?:??:

Wilderness
July 3rd, 2003, 4:05 pm
I think maybe Sinastra, Sprout, Pomfrey (though she's not really a professor), Hooch and possibly McGonagall. I could see JK giving Snape a spouse, but I'm not sure on that one.

SiriusSeverusFan
July 3rd, 2003, 4:31 pm
Or maybe one of them will get a spouse in the 6th or 7th book, or two will marry each other, but this is most likely my delusional hope in Snape/Sinistra speaking.

Llopin
July 3rd, 2003, 4:33 pm
Flitwick :D

I think that Grubby-Plank, Pomfrey and Sinistra are the most likely.

You-Know-Who
July 3rd, 2003, 5:11 pm
Hagrid, especially after that adventure with Madame Maxime, it doesn't take a genius to find out what happend :)

NeedAM!nT
July 3rd, 2003, 8:49 pm
Originally posted by You-Know-Who (original post (http://www.cosforums.com/a/showthread.php?postid=418157#post418157))
Hagrid, especially after that adventure with Madame Maxime, it doesn't take a genius to find out what happend :)

Haha! Utoh! ;) :crush:

I think the same what everyone else does...but I've always thought that Dumbledore and McGonagall were together.... I doubt they are but it just seems like they are.

VyoletVega
July 3rd, 2003, 8:56 pm
I somehow got the feeling that McGonagall was (at least at one point) a mother. She has that air around her; perhaps it is from being a teacher for so long. It just seemed to me as if she had a child and perhaps lost it.

Oliver Wood
July 3rd, 2003, 10:04 pm
Originally posted by SiriusSeverusFan (original post (http://www.cosforums.com/a/showthread.php?postid=417990#post417990))
Or maybe one of them will get a spouse in the 6th or 7th book, or two will marry each other, but this is most likely my delusional hope in Snape/Sinistra speaking.

lol, how about snape and umbridge??? LOL... but i doubt that after umbridge put snape on probation.

Eva
July 3rd, 2003, 10:55 pm
Somehow I can't quite imagine a Mr. McGonagall. I think that maybe VyoletVega's right in that she once had a family but they were killed by Voldemort (or died in another way, for that matter). Could McGonagall's husband be one of the people in Moody's picture of the original Order of the Phoenix? Benjy Fenwick, Edgar Bones, Caradoc Dearborn, Gideon or Fabian Prewett? I'm betting that her husband is/was the "important spouse" that JKR was talking about.

Carbito
July 4th, 2003, 2:50 am
If they were married I can't see a good relationship as they are at Hogwarts for most of the year. Maybe their spouses live in Hogsmede.

animagus1369
July 4th, 2003, 5:40 am
Originally posted by Carbito (original post (http://www.cosforums.com/a/showthread.php?postid=420028#post420028))
If they were married I can't see a good relationship as they are at Hogwarts for most of the year. Maybe their spouses live in Hogsmede.

They could even live in the castle. It's not like there's anyone there, even Dumbledore, who's seen all the rooms. Maybe there's an enchanted "spouses' wing."

phoenixsong
July 30th, 2003, 8:23 am
Came across this JKR quote on the subject:
Sheila McCleary - Have any of the Hogwarts professors had spouses?

JKR - Good question - yes, a few of them but that information is sort of restricted - you'll find out why.

The full interview can be seen here:
http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/quickquotes/articles/2001/0301-comicrelief-staff.htm

Cat
July 30th, 2003, 8:33 am
Here's who I think definately aren't married (it's easier this way)...
Professor Dumbledore
Professor McGonagall
Professor Snape
Professor Trelawney

I also think none of the Defence Against the Dark Arts teachers were married. Quirrel was too weird, Lockhart was... well... Lockhart, Lupin could be married but he stayed with Sirius in Grimmauld Place all the time, which suggest he didn't have a family to go back to, Mad-Eye might one day find himself a nice lady who's slightly mad or completely blind and Umbridge... the idea of somebody falling for her is just too unthinkable.

phoenixsong
July 30th, 2003, 9:14 am
It is worth emphasizing the verb tense of the question: "Have any of the Hogwarts professors had spouses?" indicating either past or present. I think you're right, Cat, in your list of unlikely candidates, though I have some hesitation about Snape. Although I think he is a loner, his past is hidden so deeply it is really hard to rule anything out.

But JKR's quote is interesting in other ways, too. Is that information restricted just from us, the readers, or is it restricted information inside the world of Hogwarts?

Cat
July 30th, 2003, 9:51 am
I'm interested to know why it will be important, why it will come up in the books at all...

Arunananth
July 30th, 2003, 11:19 am
I wonder why it is restricted. I hope there is a good reason.

dantares
July 30th, 2003, 1:05 pm
Trelawney is defintely not married. She only have Hogwarts to go to. I think DD was married at one point but his spouse have died. After all, I think most wizards/witches do not lived that long.

Serpentine
July 30th, 2003, 1:44 pm
It is worth emphasizing the verb tense of the question: "Have any of the Hogwarts professors had spouses?" indicating either past or present. I think you're right, Cat, in your list of unlikely candidates, though I have some hesitation about Snape. Although I think he is a loner, his past is hidden so deeply it is really hard to rule anything out.

Actually I think the verb tense interesting as well. Maybe Snape once had a spouse but lost her because of Voldemort, and that's why he came back on Dumbledore's side?

But JKR's quote is interesting in other ways, too. Is that information restricted just from us, the readers, or is it restricted information inside the world of Hogwarts?

For any member of the Order, so Dumbledore, Snape and maybe more, it would make perfect sense to restrict information about their families because it would put them into danger if Voldemort and the DE knew about them. As for the pupils, I don't see any particular reason why it should be restricted to them - except DE-kids of course -, I doubt they would be very interested in their teachers' private lives.

I wonder how a possible Mrs. Flitwick or Mr. Sprout might look like :)

Mander
July 30th, 2003, 1:47 pm
I seriously doubt it'll be mcgonnagal. She;s really old, in her 70;s or so? I mean, not old old...but too old to bear a child. Well, Its the magical world, ain't it? I guess it could happen. Who knows?

Horntail
July 30th, 2003, 2:57 pm
McGonagall seems way to schoolmarmish to have even been married. She kinda fits into that "old spinster that has never been married working at school which kinda makes up for he lack of children" stereotype. Dumbledore has that air of a really powerful wizard too wrapped up in his work to ever get married. Like Gandalf in Lord of the Rings, I can't picture Dumbledore as having a wife.

Ginny15
July 30th, 2003, 8:14 pm
I can sorta picture McGonagall as a grandmother. Some people mentioned that she might of lost her family, and I really like that theory. The same could proabably be said for a few teachers. Just another thing to look foward to in the next books!

Shadow_Princess
July 30th, 2003, 11:06 pm
Well if they did have families, you would think they would go home in the breaks, but they don't seem to do they? But it is hard to image some of them with families and some would be a shame not to.

Agonothete
July 30th, 2003, 11:38 pm
I seriously doubt it'll be mcgonnagal. She;s really old, in her 70;s or so? I mean, not old old...but too old to bear a child. Well, Its the magical world, ain't it? I guess it could happen. Who knows?
I doubt it. I mean really, who would invent a spell to reverse the effects of menopause and would a witch like McGonnagall really want mess around with age or time spells just to bear a child?

That being said I can't envision McGonagall married and accepting the responsibilities of a full time Professor, head of a house, and Deputy Headmistress which would all keep her away from any such husband. I can, however, see McGonagall as a widow with or without a full grown son/daughter.

EDITED: Misinterpreted your post.

Chasing_Wood
July 31st, 2003, 12:29 am
hehe. I think it's a possiblity that some of the teachers are married. Maybe their spouses live in Hogsmeade? Or maybe one of the professors is hiding a spouse in the castle and we just don't know it. hehe

dobby_rocks
July 31st, 2003, 12:45 am
Dont know if this has been said yet, but i thought i remember reading some article where JK said that some of the teachers were indeed married. We really dont know where the teacher sleep, i suppose its possible their suposes live with them, and we just never see them. I would have to assume that out of all the teachers there most be some who are wed

DaN+EmMa
July 31st, 2003, 3:09 am
yea its hard to tell since they call them "professor" blah blah and not mr. or ms. or mrs. you know?
--------------------
http://www.eternalmagic.co.uk/images/dan/dr.gif

proud daniel radcliffe and H/H shipper! =]

Black's_Widow
July 31st, 2003, 3:18 am
[QUOTE=Serpentine]Actually I think the verb tense interesting as well. Maybe Snape once had a spouse but lost her because of Voldemort, and that's why he came back on Dumbledore's side?

That is a very intersting thought about Snape. Dumbledore always refuses to tell Harry why he trusts Snape so much, could this be because of a former spouse?

Bee
August 1st, 2003, 3:09 am
I read an interview with JKR where someone asked if any of the staff has spouses and she said she couldn't say as they will be important later.

I was wondering if anyone thought maybe DUmbledore had kids, or a wife. For some reason I keep making a connection to Arabella Figg, but really, would Dumbledore be married to a squib? Eesh. That's how arguments get started... of course he COULD be married to a squib, but it's not likely.

Aaaaanyways, just thought it'd be interesting if DD did have kids. As he's 150 years old, they'd be quite old too, wouldn't they? So anyways... that's my question.

Pinkerton
August 1st, 2003, 3:11 am
Well, people have been pondering for a while about Harry being Dumbledore's grandson, so then Lily being his daughter or whatever..

I don't really believe in that theory yet.. I'd need more convincing.

I'd love to find out though about his kids if he did have any.. I bet they'd be pretty interesting. Err.. I'd hope they would be, anyways.

shanobyl
August 1st, 2003, 3:45 am
im not too sure if he has any kids, but i have to say that any kid who has Dumbledore as a dad or a granddad is one lucky kid :clap:

Bee
August 1st, 2003, 8:55 pm
I remember reading an interview with JKR with her saying yes a lot of teachers are/were married but she couldn't elaborate because it was important to a later plot. So surely they're important!

Dumbledore: for some reason I could see him a white-haired wife. A very powerful witch, of course. Or a muggle (what a scandal!). But I don't think he was.
McGonogall: I'm willing to bet she's still married and has three children: two boys and a girl. I feel like Professor Trelawney here. I have the Inner Eye!
Flitwick: I hope he's been married! He's so cuuute!
Hagrid: I have a feeling, NO. LOL! Wouldn't it be cool to see him marry Madame Maxime though? A magic wedding with giants as well. How cool!
Snape: I could see him married! Well, divorced now, but I could see him being married to someone in the past.

dobby_rocks
August 1st, 2003, 9:24 pm
It seems we will find out more in later books. Like Snape i bet he is married to someone :rasp:

Dumbledore was proabablay married at one time as well, it will be intresting to find out though.

hesdead-dealwithit
August 6th, 2003, 8:12 pm
How about Snape and Tonks?

story
August 15th, 2003, 6:24 pm
McGonagall is the roughly the same age as Voldemort. Who eles could be in this bracket?

Also there was comment to Bill being the eldest son of the Weasley's, was there or is there another daughter apart from Ginny? Were they perhaps married to someone?

Alastor
August 18th, 2003, 1:56 am
Like Snape i bet he is married to someone :rasp:

Yes. Snape having a ding dong with the missus every morning before going to school might explain his bad temper. :D

MollyWeasley22
August 18th, 2003, 3:29 am

I agree ab out Lupin. I think because of the fact he is what he is causes him to hold back from ever really wanting to get close to any woman. However I think in the fifth book a certain new addition would make a lovely wife for him :p

Though Id marry Lupin in a heart beat!! :drool:

PotionsGoddess46
August 18th, 2003, 10:51 pm
In response to someone from a while back, I agree that Snape was in love with Lily.

However, I do not think that she loved him back, and Severus is not Harry's father. James has black hair, too, just as Severus does.

shanobyl
August 19th, 2003, 12:00 am
hmm thats a nice thought, potionsgoddess46. snape might be in love with lily. that is just another reason to hate james. and harry for that matter coz harry is the product of love between james and lily - something snape could have had.

PotionsGoddess46
August 20th, 2003, 2:09 am
Ooooh, even better thought, shanobyl. Maybe that's why he looks livid every time he looks at Harry.

Good thinkin'. :clap:

avada_kedavra
August 27th, 2003, 3:28 am
Hasn't anyone wondered where Dumbledore's wife is? What about Snape? Or the spouses of McGonagall, Flitwick, or Binns?(I know, he's a ghost, but what about a past spouse?)I think it highly unusual that all the professors from Hogwarts haven't found someone to love. I mean, Snape is one thing, but everybody??Oh--wait. A fellow Forum-er, PhoenixUK, just pointed out that in PoA the professors go home to their spouses (or something like that). Wouldn't that raise marital problems, when their spouses are away 24/7, and the professors can only return home on holiday? (I'm not even sure they do that!) I mean, it would be quite easy for Trelawney and Binns to canoodle in a classroom and Mr. Trelawney has no way of finding out (well, he does, but for the sake of the forum we'll keep it simple). What are your thoughts?

The Quibbler
August 27th, 2003, 3:39 am
I think that the teachers having spouses is a non important fact that would only make the books longer (not that i wouldn't mind that eh? :) )

It's kinda like all the people who have questioned whether or not the characters take showers. That is something that has an obvious answer, and it is something that would be pointless to put in the plot because it has no real relevance to the whole story line. Whether or not that fact is in the book will not affect the outcome of the book.

So anyways, i am sure that some of the teachers have spouses, but it is probably not something that is important to know.

P.S. Can you imagine Snape ever being married? ;) :eyebrows: ;)

avada_kedavra
August 27th, 2003, 3:48 am
Well, Lucius (For some strange reason I want to spell his name 'Lucious', a Freudian Slip, I suppose!) has a wife! She isn't of much importance, other than the fact that she's related to Siruis Black...

story
August 27th, 2003, 12:38 pm
If Lily and Petunia are named after flowers, could it mean that Poppy Pomfrey is related? And Perhaps McGonagall ties her hair back because she cannot keep it straight, like Harry?

MaraudersGirl
August 27th, 2003, 3:43 pm
I always just assumed that the teachers who go home during the holidays have famillies and those who dont stay at Hogwarts. In GOF I believe that Snape, Trelawny, McGonagall, Dumbledore stayed but I cant remember Sprout or Flitwick did. There was also something in the 'Careers Advice' chapter that made me wonder about DD and McGonagall. There was somethig that Umbridge said when they were fighting about why McGonagall would like DD as MInister because then she would be Jr. Minister, or something. But why? If DD became minister, why wouldnt McGonagall stay and be Headmistress?

shanobyl
August 27th, 2003, 4:07 pm
maybe omg cant beleive im thinking of this.. :lol:
maybe dumbledore is married to mcgonnagal.. just that mcgonnagal didnt change her last name.. :banghead:

The Quibbler
August 27th, 2003, 11:22 pm
maybe omg cant beleive im thinking of this.. :lol:
maybe dumbledore is married to mcgonnagal.. just that mcgonnagal didnt change her last name.. :banghead:

Just one problem, the age difference.

Aren't they like a hundred years apart?

zandarella
August 27th, 2003, 11:40 pm
I think Snape has never married, but I think he was IN LOVE big time with Lily. This true love is why Snape is part of the Order, and why Dumbledore trusts him so much. It could also be why snape tries - in a bit of a roundabout way - to help protect Harry. He is Lily's son, and as much as he'd hate him for being James' son, he'd love him for being Lily's. Isn't love supposed to be the overriding power throughout this wonderfully woven story?

story
August 28th, 2003, 12:14 am
McGonagall and Voldemort are about the same age, probably knew each other at Hogwarts. No suppose not, can not really see them married.

Houler_7S
August 28th, 2003, 12:43 am
Hahahaha Voldemort and McGonagall have completely diferent thought and in other hand she is much older than him

Fairydust
August 28th, 2003, 12:45 am
No, McGonagall and Voldie would be about the same age. He should be about 70 and mcGonagall' 70 or something. They could have dated in school. But then, he was into Dark Arts and that could have turned her off. I still want to kow why he killed Dorcas Meadowes personally.

CarolynNC
August 29th, 2003, 4:41 pm
From the Red Nose Day Chat, March 12, 2001
Q: Have any of the Hogwarts professors had spouses?
A: Good question - yes, a few of them but that information is sort of restricted - you'll find out why..

I've decided to jump in with what I've been thinking JKR meant when she said the above during an interview. I immediately thought of James and Lily.

Just how long has the Defense Against the Dark Arts position been vacant (jinxed)? Was James the last regular DADA professor? How long has Flitwick taught at Hogswart? Was Lily the Charms teacher? Maybe that is the information she's keeping restricted. After all we must be going to learn more about Harry's family in the next two books and JKR wouldn't want to spoil it by giving an early explanation.

Carolyn

sindatur
August 29th, 2003, 5:04 pm
That's a good thought Carolyn, One of the few things we know about Lily is that she was good with Charms and her wand was good for performing charms. I believe it wasn't more than 5 years (if even that long, probably more like 3 years) after they left Hogwarts that they were killed. Would someone teach at Hogwarts immediately after graduating? Even if they would, that still doesn't leave a very long time to teach, if they were killed wtihin 3 years of graduating. So yes, it's possible that could be what JKR's hiding, but I wouldn't think you could really refer to 3 years as the last regular DADA teacher, because we have the impression that Sorceror's Stone was not Quirrel's first year teaching at Hogwarts.

Mad I
August 29th, 2003, 11:02 pm
You have to remember though that there are about 8-9 years in between Lily's death and the Sorceror's Stone. Though I don't support this theory it is definitly possible because of the time.

zandarella
September 2nd, 2003, 12:45 am
Maybe Snape still hates James SOOOO much because James was the DADA teacher? (Amongst the other obvious reasons!!) I still think that Snape was in luuurve with Lily, even though he called her a m******d when she stuck up for him. If Snape is married now, I reckon he's got a cute little blonde muggle happily cooking in his kitchen!

Hpmons
September 22nd, 2003, 5:56 pm
Do any of the teachers have spouses...Well, they must do, since JKR said that they do!

So. All the teachers:
- Dumbledore
- Binns
- Flitwick
- Hagrid
- McGonagall
- Hooch
- Sinistra
- Sprout
- Trelwaney
- Vector
- And of coruse...Snape!!!

Now I can see McG, Dumbledore, Snape, Sprout and Sinistra all having spouses.
Perhaps one of them is the Ancient Runes/Muggle Studies teacher?
Perhaps one of them is going to get married, and change their name?
Perhaps we will see one of their children attending Hogwarts?
Perhaps the Giant Squid married one of them?

I dont know...

pufflepuff
September 23rd, 2003, 12:16 am
Do you think that Dumbledore and McGonagall have something romantic between them....? I think I noticed it more in the movie than in the book....but what do you guys think?

I have thought that for a long time. They complement each other.

Fairydust
September 23rd, 2003, 6:23 am

It wouldn't be a real biggie if they were together, but I always saw Dumbledore with a wife from his school days. That or his wife was a muggle. The only thing with Dumbledore and McGonagall, he's like 70 years older than her. What's age got to do with it? Nothing, but I'd rather him with a childhood sweetheart. McGonagall, I wonder, could she have ever hooked up with Tom Riddle? I think they were at school about the same time. Could it be possible?

story
September 23rd, 2003, 1:17 pm
Dumbledore and McGonagal are more like father and daughter

Morgan LeFay
September 23rd, 2003, 3:15 pm
It's a bit interesting that Dumbledore had brown hair when he was about 85, when Lupin is half-grey in his middle-thirties. But Sirius has still black hair. Maybe it's a werewolf thing. :huh:

UselessCharmMaster
September 24th, 2003, 2:57 pm
I'm too lazy to read all the 5 pages. :cool:

Snape's not married (he can't be, 'cause he's MINE!) :lol: Mc Gonagall was in love with Tom Riddle in their school days, and Lupin will marry a nice werewolf woman and they will happily run together under the full moon. Booo! :D

Geneva
October 16th, 2003, 8:06 pm
Ok The Thing Kneazle Posted about the chat well maybe it was kept secret because lily was snapes wife for a point of time and then wthats how she became a death eater! i rest my case!

I must argue this. First of all, Lily and James were married very soon after they left Hogwarts. They'd been going out by seventh year, I believe, as Sirius stated in OotP. Lily doesn't strike me as the type to date James, drop him for Snape, marry Snape, divorce Snape, and marry James. She was too pure for that. Besides, there's nothing pointing to the theory that Lily was a Death Eater, it's just some farfetched idea that someone came up with.

Drusilla
October 16th, 2003, 10:04 pm
McGonagall and Voldemort?Lily and Snape?I'm about ready to gag here,and I'm sorry for not reading all the previous posts-my browser is terribly slow-but I have to ask:what about Phineas Nigellus?The least poular Headmaster of Hogwarts has direct descendants (Sirius being among them),which probably means that he was married with kids,though we don't know if he was married during his tenure as Headmaster or not.He probably was,if he remained Headmaster till his death or something like that.

TiffW04
October 16th, 2003, 10:50 pm
Dumbledore is like 150 and McGonagall is about 75. I'm not sure about the other teacher's, but I think that they all have relationships outside of Hogwart's. I can see Dumbledore married, but I think in 5 years we would have heard something about his wife. I think McGonagall is single, but some of the teacher's we know less about probably go home and spend time with their families.

And I totally dont believe the Lily is a death eater thing...lol

SilentPhilosopher
October 17th, 2003, 1:15 am
Has anyone thought perhaps the reason JK doesn't want us to know about the teachers is because one of the female teachers maiden name has something to do with one of our favorite students (Not necissarily Harry, but maybe one of the 5)? I think this is the reason why JK is trying to keep this hush hush. Any of the other explinations just don't make sense. BTW- whoever posted about James being the DADA teacher (don't remember who you are, and I'm too lazy to look back, sorry) Olivander said on page 82 of the American Version of Harry Potter and the Sourcers Stone "Your father, on the other hand, favored a mahogany wand. Eleven inches. Pliable. A little more power and excellent for transfiguration. So I think it would be much more plausable if James was any teacher he would be a Transfiguration teacher (which obviously McGonagall has filled for a number of years). Thanks for listening!

Spirit
October 17th, 2003, 3:28 am
Dumbledore: I think that he was married at one time. I think it just kind of fits.
McGonagall: I think she was married once too. Someone said that they thought she was a mother at one time, because she just seems to have that air around her. I think so too....
Snape: Maybe. He wasn't there for Christmas, was he?
Hagrid: No. Just no.
Sprout: Yeah, probably. She wasn't around for Christmas either.
Lockhart: No way. He only loves Gilderory Lockhart.
Trelawney: No pausible way. She'd always be predicting his death, saying the planets told her so.
Quirrell: He's too weird. Way too odd.
Lupin: No, I don't think so. It's sad, but I don't think so.
Sinistra: Probably.

Crackpot
October 17th, 2003, 6:49 am
Snape: Maybe. He wasn't there for Christmas, was he?

He's been at Hogwarts every Christmas with the possible exception of Book Five. (I don't remember reading any evidence that he was there, but the main characters were at a different location this time, and it probably wasn't relevent to the plot...)

sawyer
October 17th, 2003, 10:42 am
He's been at Hogwarts every Christmas with the possible exception of Book Five. (I don't remember reading any evidence that he was there, but the main characters were at a different location this time, and it probably wasn't relevent to the plot...)
His location will probably become relevent in book VI (he is the spy of the Order, after all). :)

ncpotterfan
October 17th, 2003, 5:45 pm
I don't really know how to do this, since it's my first time to do this, but I have a prediction for the next book:

Is it possible that Professor McGonagall and Professor Dumbledore could be married?

micke
October 17th, 2003, 6:16 pm
you think? isnīt Dumbledore a bit to old for her? ;)

SilentPhilosopher
October 17th, 2003, 6:56 pm
Welcome to the board, first off, and thanks for the insightful post. However, this exact subject is being examined in the thread "Professors- Children and Marriage." Next time before you post you can use the search engine in the upper right of the screen to check and see if it's being discussed! I am surure a professor will be more then happy to merge this thread with the one I already mentioned. Good thought though! :agree:

The Raven
October 17th, 2003, 8:07 pm
I actually considered that, DD and McGG being married.

HannahStarr
October 17th, 2003, 11:33 pm
The Raven and ncpotter fan: Dumbledore and McGonagall are NOT married, they do NOT have a "thing" going on, and they have NOT have any kids together. Why? DD is 150 yrs old. McGonagall is 70. A bit of an age difference, don't ya think?

Anyway, here are my thoughts:
Dumbledore: probably married at one point or another. For some reason, I want to think that he was married to a muggle (which explains why he outlived his spouse), but that's just me.
McGonagall: I also think she's married to a muggle. There was a great thread on this a while back that talked about it.
Sprout: Probably.
Snape: Probably not.
Hagrid: Obviously, no. Unless he and Madam Maxime get engaged some time soon...
Sinistra: no idea.
Trelawney: Most likely not
Quirell, Lockhart, Lupin, Mad-eye, and Umbridge: none of them were probably married, although Mad-Eye might have been (slim chance, though).

Anyone else I'm forgetting?

shanobyl
October 18th, 2003, 4:41 pm
but age doesnt have anything to do with love! it's entirely possible. just that they dont have the same surname.. but even then i think they are somehow related even if they are not connected by marriage.

HannahStarr
October 18th, 2003, 5:28 pm
I knew someone would say that. But, really, there's an 80 year difference between them! McGonagall would have been very young, and DD would have been very old...

The Raven
October 18th, 2003, 10:36 pm
Hannahstar is right, of course.

10 years? Yes.

20 years? Maybe.

30 Years? Possibly.

40 Years? Unlikely.

50 Years? If one of them was a millionaire.

60 Years? Not very likely at all.

70 Years? Practically impossible, even by wizarding standards. I know wizards live longer, so yes, my above points don't mean much regarding the HP series, but...

80 Years??? Definately not. No human being, wizard or muggle, would so much of a (sorry to use this word) pervert.

I must also point out, though, Hannahstar, that I considered them being married. When I realised the age, well, no way. Anyway, McGonagall looks up to Dumbledore, like a Father figure. I imagine Minerva McGonagall to be either married to a muggle, like someone (apologies- your name has escaped me) suggested or, this one I'm leaning towards, unmarried. That's just the way I see it. Though she is a ''big softy at heart'' according to JKR, and she is my favourite character, so, in that light, yes, I can see her married and commited with about 15 children and possibly grandchildren. That raises the question: Why aren't they at Hogwarts? Well, maybe they aren't of age yet, and maybe, if she is married to a muggle, they aren't magical, even though, in the movie, me and, I gather, several others, noticed a Quidditch plaque with 'McGonagall' on it. I'm not sure if there is a mention in the books, however.

~The Raven~

HannahStarr
October 18th, 2003, 10:45 pm
Sorry if I sounded a bit harsh, The Raven. A lot people don't realize that there's a big age difference between them, and so it has to be explained over and over again.

Though she is a ''big softy at heart'' according to JKR, and she is my favourite character, so, in that light, yes, I can see her married and commited with about 15 children and possibly grandchildren. That raises the question: Why aren't they at Hogwarts?
Good point about the grandchildren. In another thread, it was discussed that McGonagall most likely had a daughter who was friends with Lily - or, at the very least, at Hogwarts at about the same time as Lily. McGonagall has always seemed to be the strict, but loving, grandmother that a lot of people look up to, and it makes me wonder why she doesn't have any grandchildren. Maybe, if she has a daughter, the daughter is dead?

daz
October 19th, 2003, 12:51 am
age is nothing but a number the lord of the rings awen and aragorn shes like 3000 and hes like 175 and it works well so thay could be dateing its not in inpossable and thay spend a lot of time together

Vigilance
October 19th, 2003, 8:25 pm
Snape and McGonagall? They always talk about Quidditch in the early morning...hmm, how early? I'm only joking!
I think that DD, Snape, McGonagall, Flitwick, and Sprout are not currently married unless they are married in combo with each other. They spend Christmas at Hogwarts. Maybe McG is married to Flitwick or DD, but I doubt it. Maybe Sprout is married to Flitwick or Snape, but I doubt it. Maybe Snape is married to Flitwick? We'll have to wait and see. :D

HannahStarr
October 21st, 2003, 1:51 am
age is nothing but a number the lord of the rings awen and aragorn shes like 3000 and hes like 175 and it works well so thay could be dateing its not in inpossable and thay spend a lot of time together

But in LOTR, Aragorn and Arwen looked and acted the same age. Both aged slower than normal humans did. And even though wizards appear to age slower than Muggles, they still are considered "old" by the age of 150, which is DD's age.

Serpentine
November 23rd, 2003, 2:24 pm
Snape having a relationship at the moment, or being married... nah, I don't think so. I can see Snape having loved and lost, but not loving now - it wouldn't fit his character. Plus his current activities for the Order would put his partner and evtl. kids in mortal danger if Voldemort ever found out. Snape might risk his own neck for the Cause, but I can't see him putting his beloved one(s) in danger along the way. Even for his nemesis Harry he cares enough to not let him die.

I do feel that he needs to get a love interest though. If he really wants DADA (a post which seems to require the ability to feel strong positive emotions such as happy thoughts or laughter, like Dark Arts seem to require evil intent), I feel he'd need to experience that special feeling, even more so because Dumbledore keeps underscoring the importance of love to Harry. Also, on the Alchemy thread we've been discussing that Snape might be an alchemist but has not yet completed his own spiritual development.

So I'd say that in book 6 he needs both to sort out his problems with Harry and to get a love interest on the way, in order to reach the necessary spiritual level. Then in book 7 he'll finally be able to get his beloved DADA post. :)

Who else? I can see Flitwick and/or Sprout being married (maybe even with each other? :D OK, not necessarily - but anyhow, in PoA they both seemed to be missing at the Christmas Feast). And I could also imagine DD and/or McGonagall being or having been married. Hooch? Possible, but I guess she'd need someone who can cope with the headstrong person she seems to be (similar about McG, by the way). Trelawney? Um... probably not. :p

But I feel it'd be hard to maintain a marriage and/or relationship with somebody else when you spend almost all of your time at Hogwarts. If any of the teachers have partners who don't teach at Hogwarts, they must be somewhere close enough to meet them regularly, e.g. in Hogsmeade. (Does Rosmerta have a family name?)

kaitlyne
November 25th, 2003, 8:55 am
I think that some of the professors have family, but the link between the professors and the fight against Voldemort means that they are probably less likely to (becuase they wouldn't want to put a family at risk) and those that do have families are probably more secretive about it, simply because they do not want their families endangered.

st_alia
November 26th, 2003, 2:06 am
I bet Snape has someone and that it`s gonna be a big shocker. I mean, what better way to shock us than to reveal that "loner" Snape has wife or kid or both? It isn`t impossible that he keeps her/them a secret so that Death Eaters can`t take their vendetta on her/them because Snape betrayed Voldemort. "a matter between Snape and Dumbledore" can easily be a secret-keeping pact between them to protect Snape`s family or something. Besides, what is this supposed to mean:"Why am I giving up my evenings to this tedious job?" (Snape, Occlumency) Why are his evenings so important to him if he`s to sleep at Hogwarts? But maybe he doesn`t. Professors leave Hogwarts when they go to Hogsmeade, London,etc they don`t have to stay at school when they don`t have classes such as in the evening. So maybe Snape visits his family at that time.

JKR said that we`d learn some professors have spouses. So it`s going to be in next 2 books. As for "Snape in love remark" I urge everyone to find entire transcript, not just a quote taken out of context. When the boy asked the question JKR seemed stunned but not in a "Snape in love? Yuck!" way. More like "How the hell he guessed it?" way. She tried to sound "Yuck!" but it was obvious that the boy hit the nail in the head. JMO.

SiriuslyNLuv
November 27th, 2003, 10:28 am
Okay, this is the first time that I've ever posted, so please have patience if I ramble a bit. LOL I've also been wondering about the whole professor/love/marriage thing. I've been trying to figure the whole thing out about Snape as well. I know that there are a lot of theories that are circulating now about who Snape is. I think that he is Perseus Evans. I've no clue how it is that he got away from Voldemort in the first place to be able to get to Dumbledore, but it says he did, and I guess that's good enough. Anyway, in GOF, Harry is wondering about "Snape's second chance". I promise, this goes along w/ the marriage thing. Just hang in there with me. Okay, here's my theory:

Perseus Evans was a Death Eater who decided, for whatever reason, that he didn't want to be one anymore. Somehow, when the Death Eaters came to kill him, he managed to escape or fake his own death. He went to Dumbledore, told him of Voldemort's plans, and DD in turn protected him. I'm not sure how he is doing this, but some people have mentioned that DD may be his secret keeper and has done the Fidelius Charm on him. In that case, no one could know that he was Perseus Evans, they would know him only as Severus Snape unless DD told someone. The problem was that Snape had been married to Lily before all of this occurred. Lily, like everyone else, was told that he had been killed by the Death Eaters, and that left her free to marry someone else...James Potter. Well, so Snape is spying for DD and is protected by the Fidelius Charm, but at the same time, he wants Lily back. Of course, Lily is now married to James and they have Harry, so his chances of getting her back are slim, even if she DID know who he was or that he was alive.

Somehow, Snape hears about the prophecy from Trelawney and realizes that this is his chance. He goes to Voldemort and tells him about Harry, and Voldemort agrees that he will kill Harry, but make sure that Lily lives. Then he goes to Lily and tells her who he is, maybe begs her to come back to him, but she won't, b/c she won't leave Harry. I think that this occured on the night that Voldemort showed up to kill Harry. Of course, the whole thing goes wrong, and Lily is killed while protecting Harry. Then Snape, after he realizes what he has done, goes back to DD and confesses...thus, his second chance with Dumbledore. From this time on, he becomes a spy for DD and is loyal to him. Now........Mark Evans. I believe that Snape eventually married again, though of course, there is no proof of this. However, let's pretend that he did. What better way to keep an eye on Harry than to live in the same neighborhood as his aunt and uncle. I think that Mark Evans is Snape's son and will soon be showing up at Hogwarts.

Okay, I know this is really long winded, but do you think there's any possibility of truth in there...anywhere?

Floria
November 27th, 2003, 4:12 pm
Well....the problem here, as in the theory posted in the "Did Snape try to save..." thread is this: How is it that people like Lucius, or even the mauraders, know Snape as the guy they went to Hogwarts with? Lilly and James were married very shortly after school. Were Snape and Lilly married at Hogwarts? What? Maybe you can answer this with your theory...if you can, go ahead...

Lupin_Lady
November 28th, 2003, 12:22 am
:lol: Perhaps to be a professor at Hogwarts, you have to be like a nun or a preist- completely selebant! Seriously, maybe they chose their job over their love.... :lol:

Floria
November 28th, 2003, 3:02 am
:lol: Perhaps to be a professor at Hogwarts, you have to be like a nun or a preist- completely selebant! Seriously, maybe they chose their job over their love.... :lol:

Well...I don't know that it's a requirement, but think about it; would you want to be married to someone who spends half of the year (more than that, even) away from you? I suppose some people would answer yes, but I believe that most would not....Then again, maybe the teachers go home at night through the floo network, or something like that.....

ariatna
November 28th, 2003, 3:08 am
well maybe the proffesors don't have time for that or they just don't mention it...

dobby_rocks
November 28th, 2003, 3:38 am
Then again, maybe the teachers go home at night through the floo network, or something like that.....

I have to image that this might be the case i dont think all Teachers live at hogwarts, floo poweder is quick and fast, or maybe some of the teachers stay in the village and they just walk to work. But i have to guess that some are married and or have kids. I thought i read something that JK said that some did indeed have spouses or and kids

Floria
November 28th, 2003, 3:47 am
I have to image that this might be the case i dont think all Teachers live at hogwarts, floo poweder is quick and fast, or maybe some of the teachers stay in the village and they just walk to work. But i have to guess that some are married and or have kids. I thought i read something that JK said that some did indeed have spouses or and kids

Yes, I think you are correct about JKR saying that....
And I do believe that it's possible that some are married...

lakemonster
November 28th, 2003, 9:23 am
Well....the problem here, as in the theory posted in the "Did Snape try to save..." thread is this: How is it that people like Lucius, or even the mauraders, know Snape as the guy they went to Hogwarts with? Lilly and James were married very shortly after school. Were Snape and Lilly married at Hogwarts? What? Maybe you can answer this with your theory...if you can, go ahead...

I'm in the Perseus Evans camp, but I don't agree with SiriuslyNLuv on a lot of points. First of all, I think that it makes absolutely no sense for Perseus Evans and Lily to be married. Evans is Lily's maiden name. She was called Evans when they were 15.

I think that if they have the same last name it's because they are siblings, or at the very least, cousins.

I also think that Snape/Perseus Evans was known as Severus Snape while he was at Hogwarts. If everyone had known him as Perseus Evans then someone probably would have mentioned it to Harry by now. Plus, the Marauder's Map recognizes Snape's name, and it was written while James, etc., were at school.

I usually discount anagrams (i.e. Ollivander's = Ronald Lives) because most of the time they seem very contrived. But Perseus Evans = Severus Snape could actually make sense. The one anagram we know of for sure in J.K.R.'s books is Tom Marvolo Riddle = I Am Lord Voldemort. Therefore, the one reason I can see another anagram being important is if a character decided to change his name in imitation of Tom Riddle. So, if young Severus were a bit into the dark arts (which we know he was from canon evidence) he might very well have counted himself among Voldemort's followers and changed his name.

If Perseus/Snape was Lily's brother, and their parents were muggles, as everyone claims, then it seems unlikely that he would have known anything about magic before going to Hogwarts. We know that he did, however, because there is a line somewhere about him knowing more curses when he started than most of the older students. I don't think this invalidates the theory, though. Another strange thing I have noticed about Snape is his closeness to the Malfoy family. Snape and Lucius did not go to Hogwarts together. Lucius and Arthur Weasley were rivals at school, and Arthur was apparently significantly older than James, Sirius, Peter, Remus, and Snape, who, of course, all were in the same year. (Oh, and I don't think it's necessary that Lily and Snape, if siblings, were twins. I think it's highly likely that Lily was a year younger than the others, as she isn't really considered part of their gang and as Harry didn't see her taking her O.W.L.s with them).

So this is the theory I've come up with to explain these oddities:

Perseus is born to the Evanses, a muggle couple. If Petunia is older than Lily (which is probably likely, as Lily seems to have been quite young when Harry was born, and Dudley is slightly older than Harry), then she has already been born. Perseus shows strange abilities, and the parents are a bit weirded out. Something happens within the family, and Perseus is taken in by Lucius Malfoy's parents, maybe at the request of Voldemort, who, after all, was also abandoned by his muggle family. That would explain Snape's strange connection to the Malfoys. He learns a great deal there about the dark arts, for which he develops a fascination. He changes his name to Severus Snape because, like Tom Riddle, he resents his muggle name. Meanwhile, Lily is born to the Evanses. She shows magical prowess. The Evanses feel guilty about their abandonment of Perseus, and see supporting Lily's oddity as a second chance to do the right thing. When Lily and Severus get to Hogwarts, they may or may not know that they're related, but I figure that they either do know, or else they eventually figure it out. Because they are placed in such diametrically opposite houses, they end up at odds with each other most of the time. Yet Lily still sticks up for Severus when James and his friends make fun of him...that is, until that day at the lake when Severus calls her a mudblood. She responds with surprise because she knows that he is a mudblood, too, as they have the same parentage. She is angered by his betrayal, and, as she grows closer to James, pushes Severus farther away. This is why that day at the lake was "Snape's Worst Memory." After Harry is born, Severus tries to warn James about Sirius' betrayal (although, of course, it was actually Peter's betrayal). James of course, ignores him, and his "arrogance" results in Lily's death. Now Snape has a REAL reason to hate James. When Harry comes to school, Snape hates him not only because he looks like James, but also because he is reckless with his own life, which Lily died to save. He is also disturbed by the fact that Harry has Lily's eyes.

This theory isn't complete, and it probably isn't entirely true ;). But I think it does work, and it's pretty fun.

Floria
November 29th, 2003, 5:25 am
Wow, lakemonster, great job on the theory!
You have me nearly convinced (and the nearly in not an insult!).
I prefer your version!

lorna
November 29th, 2003, 8:01 pm
Actually the reason I tend to not think we're going to see an anagram again is because it's already been done. Like the "Snape is a vampire"
theory, (which would be a second teacher who's actually a folklore monster) I wonder if Rowling would use the same plot device twice. She may use a thing like the Polyjuice potion more than once but I think that's about it.
As for who might be married
DD -- was, isn't now and because of his age possibly a widower
McGonagall -- I think she has a nice husband stashed someplace and a couple of large dogs.
Trelawney -- to much of a flake but maybe she cruises the Leaky Cauldron once in awhile
Flitwick -- yeh, he could be married.
Madame Pomfrey -- yeh, she could be too
Madame Hootch -- whoever he is he was a star quidditch player
Professor Snape -- well he wears black all the time so possibly another
widower. DD is so sure that Snape can be trusted I've felt that Snape
had to have a powerful reason to leave the DE and LV being the cause of his wife's death would certainly qualify.

GryffindorSeeker
November 30th, 2003, 12:49 am
Doesn't JKR also say something about that information being hidden for some reason? I think I remember reading something like that. I'm curious on that. Any ideas?

Violet Tonks
December 1st, 2003, 5:32 am
Dumbledore- I think he was married, most likely to a Muggle. It fits some other theories floating around my head.
McGonagall- She doesn't seem like the motherly type to me, but I do believe there was a hidden clue in the movie with that Quidditch trophy. In the books, it is plainly obvious that she is obsessed with Quidditch. As to who the McGonagall was on that statue, it could easily have been a niece or something. I also highly doubt she was married. Devoting her life to teaching seems to me the type of thing she would do.
Flitwick- I never thought about him being married before, but he is perfect for being a grandfather.
Sprout- Same as with Flitwick, I imagine her husband is a gardener or something in Hogsmeade.
Snape- I agree with that Snape being in love with Lily theory, it seems to fit in perfectly with everything else. I cannot imagine anyone falling in love with him, though.
Lupin- Not married yet, but there is Tonks. If they don't end up together, I'm a hippogriff.
Hagrid- Will definitely end up with Maxime.
Trelawney- Definitely not married.
Lockhart- Only married to himself, if possible.
Sinistra- Most likely married.
Vector- Also most likely married.
Moody- Definitely not married now, I won't be surprised if he accidentally killed his wife thinking she was attacking him.
Pomfrey- I really can't decide. She needs to be on-hand at Hogwarts at all times though, so a relationship might not work out.
Grubbly-Plank- I'm almost positive she's married. Judging by her name, Grubbly is probably her maiden name and Plank her husband's.

vmonte
January 11th, 2004, 2:17 am
I believe that Hermione is McGonagall !!

If Ron is Dumbledore due to time travel, could McGonagall be Hermione?
It would be funny if McGonagall gave Hermione the hour glass in the
3rd book to later prepare her for real time travel. (Rowling even
turns Hermione into a cat in one of the books--a clue that she is
McGonagall?!--this idea could only work if Hermione learns how to
become an animagi in book 6 or 7 (just like James Potter's crew did).

McGonagall stated in book 5 that she was going to give Harry private
lessons to prepare him for his future career (McGonagall and Umbridge
argument). Hermione is always teaching Harry--and she is still
teaching him, but as McGonagall.

Rowling says that one of the teachers at Hogwarts is married and that that marriage is important to the plot (not exact words). Why hasn't she told us who is married? Could it be that McGonagall and Dumbledore are married---aka Hermione and Ron!!!

lxs234
January 11th, 2004, 3:56 am
If snape does have a wife, i bet she is very pretty... I don't know why, i just can't imagine him with an ugly woman.

ViPeRa
January 11th, 2004, 6:56 am
I totally agree with you, I dont see him being married to an ugly woman but he doesnt seem like the type that would go for looks alone. so, if he is married, I'd say that he's married to a very intelligent and complex person.

mystically_mad
January 13th, 2004, 11:00 am
I'm in the Perseus Evans camp, but I don't agree with SiriuslyNLuv on a lot of points. First of all, I think that it makes absolutely no sense for Perseus Evans and Lily to be married. Evans is Lily's maiden name. She was called Evans when they were 15.

I think that if they have the same last name it's because they are siblings, or at the very least, cousins.

I also think that Snape/Perseus Evans was known as Severus Snape while he was at Hogwarts. If everyone had known him as Perseus Evans then someone probably would have mentioned it to Harry by now. Plus, the Marauder's Map recognizes Snape's name, and it was written while James, etc., were at school.

I usually discount anagrams (i.e. Ollivander's = Ronald Lives) because most of the time they seem very contrived. But Perseus Evans = Severus Snape could actually make sense. The one anagram we know of for sure in J.K.R.'s books is Tom Marvolo Riddle = I Am Lord Voldemort. Therefore, the one reason I can see another anagram being important is if a character decided to change his name in imitation of Tom Riddle. So, if young Severus were a bit into the dark arts (which we know he was from canon evidence) he might very well have counted himself among Voldemort's followers and changed his name.

If Perseus/Snape was Lily's brother, and their parents were muggles, as everyone claims, then it seems unlikely that he would have known anything about magic before going to Hogwarts. We know that he did, however, because there is a line somewhere about him knowing more curses when he started than most of the older students. I don't think this invalidates the theory, though. Another strange thing I have noticed about Snape is his closeness to the Malfoy family. Snape and Lucius did not go to Hogwarts together. Lucius and Arthur Weasley were rivals at school, and Arthur was apparently significantly older than James, Sirius, Peter, Remus, and Snape, who, of course, all were in the same year. (Oh, and I don't think it's necessary that Lily and Snape, if siblings, were twins. I think it's highly likely that Lily was a year younger than the others, as she isn't really considered part of their gang and as Harry didn't see her taking her O.W.L.s with them).

So this is the theory I've come up with to explain these oddities:

Perseus is born to the Evanses, a muggle couple. If Petunia is older than Lily (which is probably likely, as Lily seems to have been quite young when Harry was born, and Dudley is slightly older than Harry), then she has already been born. Perseus shows strange abilities, and the parents are a bit weirded out. Something happens within the family, and Perseus is taken in by Lucius Malfoy's parents, maybe at the request of Voldemort, who, after all, was also abandoned by his muggle family. That would explain Snape's strange connection to the Malfoys. He learns a great deal there about the dark arts, for which he develops a fascination. He changes his name to Severus Snape because, like Tom Riddle, he resents his muggle name. Meanwhile, Lily is born to the Evanses. She shows magical prowess. The Evanses feel guilty about their abandonment of Perseus, and see supporting Lily's oddity as a second chance to do the right thing. When Lily and Severus get to Hogwarts, they may or may not know that they're related, but I figure that they either do know, or else they eventually figure it out. Because they are placed in such diametrically opposite houses, they end up at odds with each other most of the time. Yet Lily still sticks up for Severus when James and his friends make fun of him...that is, until that day at the lake when Severus calls her a mudblood. She responds with surprise because she knows that he is a mudblood, too, as they have the same parentage. She is angered by his betrayal, and, as she grows closer to James, pushes Severus farther away. This is why that day at the lake was "Snape's Worst Memory." After Harry is born, Severus tries to warn James about Sirius' betrayal (although, of course, it was actually Peter's betrayal). James of course, ignores him, and his "arrogance" results in Lily's death. Now Snape has a REAL reason to hate James. When Harry comes to school, Snape hates him not only because he looks like James, but also because he is reckless with his own life, which Lily died to save. He is also disturbed by the fact that Harry has Lily's eyes.

This theory isn't complete, and it probably isn't entirely true ;). But I think it does work, and it's pretty fun.

Wow, this is a great theory. It almost had me convinced that its true. Somethings seem a bit farfetched but overall its a solid theory.

star22
January 13th, 2004, 3:03 pm
I don't know. I have always thought that they are there for some, and just not mentioned. I think that some of the not so well known Professors might have spouses. I think and hope that Remus is single as I hope that he goes with Tonks.

Liselle
January 13th, 2004, 8:58 pm
This has probably been posted but I'll pop it up anyway! in response to a question on a now closed thread (did McGonagall play quidditch with James...the McGonagall name was on the plaque shown in the movie)

maybe McGonagall had a child that went through the school with James and Lily and who played on the team with James. I find it hard to believe that none of many teachers at Hogwarts are unmarried....

in an online chat with BBC for "Red Nose Day" 2001 she was asked:

Have any of the Hogwarts professors had spouses?
Good question-- yes, a few of them, but that information is sort of restricted-- you'll find out why.

so its quite possible!

Liselle

Barbara Kennedy
March 11th, 2004, 6:01 am
I could easily see Dumbledore as having been married at some point in his 160+ years of life, whether his wife was still alive would remain to be seen.

We may find out that he indeed has his own army....of children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

Sineed
March 12th, 2004, 3:33 am
In PoA, there's the Christmas dinner scene, where everybody left at Hogwarts over Christmas eats together. The teachers were: Dumbledore, MacGonagall, Sprout, Flitwick, Snape, and Trelawney (fashionably late). So ... I'm thinking none of these teachers are married or have young children, or they would be with their families over the holidays.

Though DD and MacG might be widowed. Trelawney seems too much of a flaky loner (though she has gone to pubs). Sprout and Flitwick we don't know much about. And a lot of people are attracted to the idea that Snape suffered the loss of a wife around the time when the trio were born. It's a romantic idea, but (however much it pains me to say this), we see that he was unattractive and a social misfit as a teen, so it's unlikely he was married at twenty, as he would have had to have been.

Quirell? Nope.
Lockhart? Um ... nope.
Lupin? No, and it's a shame; he's so nice. Surely some witch would rationalize that some men turn into monsters more often than once a month.

Lil Red Head
March 16th, 2004, 2:09 am

Maybe DD did have a wife, and she used to give him wooley socks at the holidays. That would explain his strange obsession with wooley socks.

I think McGonagall could reasonably be married, Lupin no, Snape probably not (too surley to be happily married, too independent to be unhappily married). Sprout maybe, Trelawney probably not (unless it's to another Hogwarts staff member), Madame Hooch maybe (it's Madame, not Madamoisselle sp), Filch probably not.

The kids issue is pretty complex. I have entertained the idea that Harry is related to McG. or DD, but I don't think he is.

Ok, I'll retreat back to non-posting land. :D

SiriusBlack16
March 16th, 2004, 5:58 pm
Here is mine
Dumbledore
Flitwick
None of the house Heads are married. They may be IN a relationship but not married

Crackpot
March 17th, 2004, 6:00 pm
Here is mine
Dumbledore
Flitwick
None of the house Heads are married. They may be IN a relationship but not married

But Flitwick is a house head--he's the house head of Ravenclaw.

padfootgrim
March 18th, 2004, 7:06 am
interesting question:

lupin: poor guy i dont see him married.. the werewolf thing would kinda get in the way... he must have a really lonely life then... he cant get a job (which is why his clothes are all ratty) and its hard to make friends...

dumbledore: i can see him as married... he seems like the grandfatherly type

mcgonagal: wow i suck at spelling... i could see her married as well...

flitwick, binns, sprout: eh why not... they could be married too... though binns might have bored his wife to death

hagrid: no hes in love with maxime... i think hes in his 60s... cause the chamber was opened 50 years ago... and he would have been 12-1.. im too lazy to figure it out exactly

snape: i can see this guy as married before or deeply in love... he seems too bitter to be married now... and that would explain the love life thing... i refuse to believe the fact that he was in love with lily rumor...

sirius: eh i know hes not a professor but just hear me out.. he was good looking... id want him

i can see snape and sirius fighting over the same girl... okay theres for the silly thought of the day!

Morgan LeFay
March 18th, 2004, 11:42 am
I am almost positive that Snape was in love. I'm also sure this love was unhappy in some way. I also can see him being married, though I don't think he was. I wonder where Snape ate everytime he was in London?
DD propably was married, but why chocolate frogs cards didn't say anything about it? With Flamel they said, that he's living with his wife. Well, maybe they don't write it in case of widowers.

Ford Anglia
March 18th, 2004, 2:58 pm
Hmm, let me see...

McGonnagal: I'd guess that she was married and that her husband was killed by death eaters during the first LV takeover attempt. If she was married, she'd probably have grandchildren by now.
Binns: Seems unlikely he was married when alive.
Hooch: I picture her as a retired Quidditch player, settling down for a prestigious, but fairly light, teaching job. I'm assuming she's married, with children (probably young ones, but who knows), and that she lives with them in Hogsmeade.
Quirrel: Obviously wasn't married, as anyone that close to him would have noticed the whole second face thing.
Trelawney: Very unlikely, considering she rarely leaves her tower.
Dumbledore: As was said, the chocolate frog card doesn't mention APWBD as being married, but I'm sure that, considering his age and renown, a lot of potentially important information couldn't fit on the card. It didn't put down his date of birth or even his full name. If he had married a muggle some time in the 1880's, she'd be long gone by now (unless Flamel's stone got involved, but somehow I doubt that).

tk_ravenprime
March 18th, 2004, 6:53 pm
HELLO FELLOW FANS
as fans of JKR and HP we all have our own predictions and theories of how we think things mean or are going to turn out. I had originally post this in a separate thread of my own. I was refered to post in this forum. I want to apologize for not having done a more complete search for keywords.
For the purposes of reference (not having to type it spelled out) I am going to use 6 book abreviations SOC, COS, POA, GOF, PHX & GW (for galadriel waters 'ultimate unofficial guide'. Also I am using US version paperback, except for PHOENIX
I am also going to use abreviations for characters names.

DUMBLEDORE

Clearly a central figure in the fight against TMR/LV and in keeping HP alive.

Here is a list of what we know of him so far:
> Dd is 150 years old (gw 2002), possibly born 1850-52. He is described as "old" not "ancient" like Prof Marchbanks his NEWT examiner (phx 710)
> Dd is described as having had AUBURN hair (a shade of red)
> Dd has blue eyes (gof 36- 893/phx 37-837), described as "penetrating light blue (phx 22, 467) and as "clear blue" (phx 22, 474).

My question to you my fellow fans is: would you consider "light/clear blue" as being pale in color. This I find important b/c Petunias eyes are described that way..."her large pale eyes, so unlike her sisters (lily)" I believe this is important when you consider that DUMBLEDORE means "bumblebee", and bees pollinate flowers. How many family lines has he pollinated thru his children?
I believe we are going to find out that Lily AND Petunia are related to him, and by extension HP

> Dd is described as Nick Flammel's partner...why is he considered his partner? compared to NF he is very young. The logical inference is that he used the elixir himself or has his own supply. And since they were partners at some point, what else did they partner on? I believe this will be important to resolve some story line clue or information later on.

> Dd is house Gryffindor, and was professor of transfigurations....was he also head of house like McGonagall is now?

I personally have come to believe that prof McG is his daughter, granddaughter. GW tells us that McGonagall means "SON OF MOST VALOROUS ONE" and through out the story we are hit over the head that Dd is "the only one he feared (LV)"....
Or is McG another Gryffindor bloodline....? She has to be brave to take on 5 Aurors by herself (PHX, ch OWLS)....and we really havent seen her in action at all....When you consider 5 books worth, we have seen more of PEEVES and MRS NORRIS than we have of her. I make her out to be part of the OOTP as either a reserve group, or a "special" group....Does she maybe have a Phoenix core wand? We know from OOTP that Dd now has 2 additional feathers to use. I figure that in 6 we wont see much action, but a lot of studying and running around (stealthly). I didnt say any, just not much.

In what book /chapter does this magic quill that writes down born wizards and witches show up???? could some one owl me please?
that is it...lets compare notes

mr.berts'n'botts
March 21st, 2004, 12:09 am
hah this is a good thread, i've always wondered about this...

-we all kno that hagrid is single since he and madam sumthin the giant lady
were "going out"
- dumbledore...hmm i'm not realli sure about him. i think he's kinda too wrapped up with things to have a personal life hah i dunno that kinda sounds stupid

i dunno mayb the whole having a job at wizarding schools affects the privacy of ur personal life

too bad they don't call their teachers, misters/mr. or miss or mrs...
that would make it so much easier..

Luna27
May 9th, 2004, 6:02 am
I'm in the middle of re-reading the series and I'm struck by how many times McGonagall calls Dumbledore by his first name. It probably wouldn't catch my eye except she's the only person in any of the books that I can recall, who calls him Albus. She only does this when she thinks no one, save another professor, is around. Like in the beginning of SS and in CoS when they are bringing Colin Creevey into the infimery. I know it could be because they're good friends...but maybe they're married? JKR said DD is 150 and McGonagall is 70...but since wizards have expanded lifespans, maybe the age gap isn't so crazy?

Okay, I just skimmed the 'Rogue Bludger' chapter in CoS and noticed something interesting. Here's the recount of them finding Colin, who has been petrified:

"Another attack," said Dumbledore. "Minerva found him on the stairs."
"There was a bunch of grapes next to him," said Professor McGonagall. "We think he was trying to sneak up here to visit Potter."

"Petrified?" whispered Madame Pomfrey.
"Yes," said Professor McGonagall. "But I shudder to think...If Albus hadn't been on the way downstairs for hot chocolate--who knows what might have--"

Ok, maybe I'm just insane, which is entirely possible...but Dumbledore says McGonagall found Colin. Then McGonagall says if Dumbledore hadn't been on his way down for hot chocolate...she alludes that something horrible may have happened. It seems like she is thinking something worse could have happened to Colin...she wasn't thinking about herself. So if that's the case, it sounds like she's saying DD interupted or saw/heard the tail end of what happened to Colin, but if she found Colin's body...wouldn't they have had to arrive there at the exact same time? In order for Minerva to find Colin AND DD to interrupt something...it seems to me like they would have to be together. Or it also reads like, but for Albus' desire for hot chocolate, we wouldn't have been coming down the stairs and whatever petrified Colin may have killed him...and I (McGonagall) would not have seen his body. Actually, that one sounds more likely now that I think of it. So maybe McGonagall and Dumbledore are married.

Adalbert Waffling
May 9th, 2004, 6:22 am
What evidence is there that some of them aren't married with kids, and spend the term teaching?

Luna27
May 9th, 2004, 6:40 am
I'm not quite clear on what you're asking Adalbert, but I know JKR has mentioned that some of the teachers are married with families...but that information is confidential. We're supposed to learn who is married and why the info is a secret in later books. Does that answer your question?

SanityEscapesMe
May 9th, 2004, 1:38 pm
Lune 27 I agree with you. I always thought McG. always liked Dumbledore or might even be married to him. I hope we find out in the next two books.

Picko
May 9th, 2004, 2:37 pm
Ok, maybe I'm just insane, which is entirely possible...but Dumbledore says McGonagall found Colin. Then McGonagall says if Dumbledore hadn't been on his way down for hot chocolate...she alludes that something horrible may have happened. It seems like she is thinking something worse could have happened to Colin...she wasn't thinking about herself. So if that's the case, it sounds like she's saying DD interupted or saw/heard the tail end of what happened to Colin, but if she found Colin's body...wouldn't they have had to arrive there at the exact same time? In order for Minerva to find Colin AND DD to interrupt something...it seems to me like they would have to be together. Or it also reads like, but for Albus' desire for hot chocolate, we wouldn't have been coming down the stairs and whatever petrified Colin may have killed him...and I (McGonagall) would not have seen his body. Actually, that one sounds more likely now that I think of it. So maybe McGonagall and Dumbledore are married.

I would've read it to mean that without Dumbledore's presence she felt far more vulnerable to the basilisk. I would take it to mean that she found Colin and then Dumbledore ran into them in his search for hot chocolate :)

Luna27
May 9th, 2004, 5:09 pm
Picko...that thought crossed my mind but...I just came to the conclusion that McGonagall is a pretty darn competent witch. I just don't see her being in a position where her first thought is 'Oh I hope Dumbledore comes and saves me' or 'Dumbledore is the only wizard who can handle this.' Read that way...that's pretty much what it amounts to. What does that say for women if a witch as powerful as McGonagall is feeling unsafe because Dumbledore isn't around? I just don't buy it. So it seems that her concern was for Colin, not herself.

Elocin4684
June 12th, 2004, 7:55 am
For some reason, I'm pretty sure that McGonagall is married. I don't know why, but I totally see this. Hmm... as far as the other profs go, I don't think that Trelawney is married since she supposedly hardly ever comes down from her tower. I don't know about the others, but I've been thinking about this for a while.

sb44pg1
June 12th, 2004, 1:44 pm
I noticed this during the first movie--
When Hermione shows Ron and Harry the Quidditch Cup w/ James' name on it, you can see off to the side that there's a McGonagall written on it. This could just be listing the Head of House, but maybe it hints that she had a son or other relative that played on the same team as Harry's father.

Stephie
June 12th, 2004, 4:17 pm
I could see Dumbledore as someone who was married at a time, but she died. About children and grandchildren, I sure he would of surely metioned them...

miss mcGonagle
June 12th, 2004, 5:19 pm
Okay,
Snape: not married, probably dissapointed in love(Lilly prehaps?)
Flitwick: a sweet little wife who watches over their 20 grandkids at their cosy cottage in the country.
Lupin: not married, although he would be a great husband and father.
McGonagall: a widow prehaps or maybe she divorced. I can't see her married now but I think if she was married it would be to a muggle, don't ask me why. Also I think she had a child, a daugter prehaps, about the same age as Lilly/James who was murdered by a deatheater for being a half blood.
Dumbledore: a great guy, but i just can't see him married.
Trelawny:*snort* please!

Kaleigh
June 12th, 2004, 7:07 pm
In my opinion, it seems very unlikely that Snape would be married. I don't think he'd act how he does if he was married during Harry's time at Hogwarts. I'm all for a future romance between him and a new character though.

And I think he was in love with Lily.

Although we know some of the professors are married, (from what JK said anyway) somehow that just seems odd. It's hard to imagine any of them married.

Blossom
June 12th, 2004, 7:48 pm
How do they keep the relationship going when they're home so little. can you imagine?

hi honey i'm home!

oh good, how was your year at work?

but i suppose we don't exactly know what goes on at hogwarts at night :eyebrows:

Tainted_Saint
June 12th, 2004, 7:50 pm
Well, I think the students wouldn't know much about their teachers personal lives because from an adult point of view it's honestly none of their buisness. I'm 27 and I wouldn't dare ask anyone older in my family "Hey! Hows your love life?" I'd never live it down.

remus9172
June 12th, 2004, 9:23 pm
i'd love to find more out about the teachers my take on it:

Snape: not married, but i support the theory that he had a wife but was killed by LV so he changed sides

Flitwick: i can definatly see him married with kids and grandkids! with lots of pets!

Lupin: i tend to think not but i'd love to see him happy with someone!

McGonagall: i can see her being a widow, maybe her husband was killed by LV? i think that she seems very comfortable with DD and despite the age gap i think she might have gone out with DD when they were younger

Dumbledore: i can see him married to a muggle when he was younger but she just died of old age, anyway he has fawkes to keep him company!

Trelawny: lol nah just cant see it!

Hagrid: um. . .nah, he'd have to find a pretty understanding wife to put up with all the dragons etc! plus hes got his dog whose name i cant remember. . .fang was it?

Binns: if he was i think she would have died of boredom many years ago

Marisa
June 12th, 2004, 9:28 pm
Maybe once they become a hogwarts staff member they must become like nuns and priests...

Elocin4684
June 13th, 2004, 5:03 am
When Hermione shows Ron and Harry the Quidditch Cup w/ James' name on it, you can see off to the side that there's a McGonagall written on it. This could just be listing the Head of House, but maybe it hints that she had a son or other relative that played on the same team as Harry's father.

Well, we don't know who was Head back then, but DD was headmaster when Lupin went to Hogwarts, so McGonagall might havebeen head and that might have been her name there. But we really can't go off the first movie's details considering Jo has made the correction that James wasn't seeker but was a chaser, which says to me they didn't consult Jo about the trophies and just put stuff there. Basically, I don't think that we can go off that. Now, since the magical community sounds like there's not thousands of different surnames running around, there probably are McGonagalls out there. I find it hard to believe that Minerva is the last one.

I could see Dumbledore as someone who was married at a time, but she died. About children and grandchildren, I sure he would of surely metioned them...

Jo has said that we will find out later about profs that have families and that are married and why we have never heard about it, so, if family isn't mentioned and they have family, there is a reason why. Dumbledore could possibly have family at Hogwarts and they are just from a female's line, hence they have different last names.

How do they keep the relationship going when they're home so little. can you imagine?

hi honey i'm home!

oh good, how was your year at work?

but i suppose we don't exactly know what goes on at hogwarts at night :eyebrows:

I've always thought about this. We don't know if the profs actually stay at Hogwarts at night. They could stay during the week and then go off for the weekends. We know you can use flu powder to get in and out of Hogwarts and portkeys, so it's easy to not have to apparate, which you can't do. A prof or 2 might stay on weekends just to be on duty. I doubt that the profs with families don't see them all school year. Also, Hogsmeade is right there, so Hogwarts could provide houses for them and their families. That would be very convenient.

i'd love to find more out about the teachers my take on it:

Snape: not married, but i support the theory that he had a wife but was killed by LV so he changed sides

Flitwick: i can definatly see him married with kids and grandkids! with lots of pets!

Lupin: i tend to think not but i'd love to see him happy with someone!

McGonagall: i can see her being a widow, maybe her husband was killed by LV? i think that she seems very comfortable with DD and despite the age gap i think she might have gone out with DD when they were younger

Dumbledore: i can see him married to a muggle when he was younger but she just died of old age, anyway he has fawkes to keep him company!

Trelawny: lol nah just cant see it!

Hagrid: um. . .nah, he'd have to find a pretty understanding wife to put up with all the dragons etc! plus hes got his dog whose name i cant remember. . .fang was it?

Binns: if he was i think she would have died of boredom many years ago

OK, I totally see that happening to Snape, but I think somebody would have mentioned his wife when they were talking about the Lestranges and other people, especially when Sirius was telling Harry about his brother that was probably killed by Voldie. I think he would have mentioned Mrs. Snape.

I definitely think Flitwick is married to a cute tiny witch and they have cute tiny grandchildren and cute tiny pets!

I think we would have heard about lupin's wife by now since he is no longer a prof. I think he wouldn't want to be close to anybody for fear of turning them. But maybe he could find a nice she-werewolf... doubtful, though.

For some reason, I really think McGonagall is married because she seems to hide something; not let herself be read by other people.

I see DD being a little pimp back in the day. He was probably one of those eccentric guys that all the witches were attracted to and he just never settled down.

Maybe once they become a hogwarts staff member they must become like nuns and priests...

Nope. Sorry to thwart the really depressing theory, but Jo has said that some profs are married and we will find out later why we don't know about them. Hopefully this will be in Book 6.

rotsiepots
June 13th, 2004, 12:32 pm

I think the director probably added it in for no good reason. T'was a name to fill a plaque -- I don't think there's much significance to it.

I can imagine McGonagall never married. She seems the type of person who is married to their work, rather than to a person. Maybe she had her heart broken as a young witch? Goodness knows. Either way, she Mrs Hogwarts then. :D

I hope Lupin marries one day. I know he's not a Professor, but he needs some happiness. Poor bloke.