R/Hr--A Very Short Courtship

buygraphpaper
September 17th, 2005, 7:09 pm
Discussion for A Short Courtship (http://www.mugglenet.com/editorials/madampuddifoot/edit-ccowles.shtml) by CJ Cowles.

moxieflower
September 17th, 2005, 7:28 pm
I don't know about a marriage... but that would sweet... kind of weird, but sweet...

slytherinlove
September 17th, 2005, 7:40 pm
oh my, that's very far-fetched. but i kind of like it.

the only thing i don't agree with is a joint wedding with Bill and Fleur. we already know that their wedding will take place early in book seven, and i think something as drastic as Ron and Hermione getting married is too much to take in within the first few chapters (if it does happen, that is).

asyouwish
September 17th, 2005, 7:43 pm
A very interesting theory, but I really don't think it will happen. I can see Ron and Hermione getting married towards the end of Book 7, but I highly doubt it will be at the beginning... (Maybe around the same time as Lupin and Tonks? :D

But a good theory, nonetheless.

_Icicle_
September 17th, 2005, 7:44 pm
Maybe, but you're forgetting one little detail... hasn't Ron got to be of age too? They'll have to wait til March at least.

Hermione34710
September 17th, 2005, 7:45 pm
I don't think they'll get married...17 is too early...wait another year ;)

Tulp
September 17th, 2005, 7:48 pm
I definitely don't see a marriage for Hermione and Ron... They're just too young, aren't they? And I don't think that Hermione would be willing to leave her parents forever! I mean, they are her parents, she loves them! Besides, this whole war thing isn't only a threat to wizards, it affects muggles as well (see HBP, Chapter 1). I think that Hermione would want to protect her parents and in order to do so she can't just leave them and get married...

There is no doubt that they will be together and that they will support Harry in his search for the remaining horcruxes but I do not think that Hermione and Ron will marry in book seven... (though maybe in an epilogue)

HPdork
September 17th, 2005, 7:59 pm
Since Hermione's birthday is in September, she was of age in the waizarding world for most of book six, and will be of age in the Muggle world for most of book seven. If book seven follows the same pattern as the first six books, she won't be eighteen at the very beginning, but she will be soon, so her parents will only have control over her for about two months in book seven--long enough for them to tell her she can't go back to Hogwarts, but once she's eighteen, in September, she will be able to go to back, and since class always starts on September 1, she won't have missed that much--less than a month anyway(I don't rember when her exact birthday is, just that it's in September). Of course, she would have to find some way to let McGonagall (or the new headmaster/mistress if it's not McGonagall) know that she'll be starting late, but that shouldn't be a problem for Hermione.

Musiclily88
September 17th, 2005, 8:06 pm
As far-fetched as this idea is, I still like it. In times of war, people ARE known to elope and do slightly irrational things.

I think that Ron has matured, but don't know if he's matured THAT much. I don't think that Hermione would rush into it with at least deliberating SOME. I think Ron might propose very spur of the moment, maybe to end a silly fight. Yeah, I can actually picture Ron proposing just to end a fight. It would be a very amusing scene, I imagine.

But I think they will get married sooner rather than later. They are, in many ways, rather like Molly and Arthur: those two fight, but they obviously love one another. I can see R and Hr marrying young and having a "cute," if eccentric, family.

ptrut12345
September 17th, 2005, 8:09 pm
Maybe, but you're forgetting one little detail... hasn't Ron got to be of age too? They'll have to wait til March at least.

Ron is of age. Remember? He failed his first Apparation test. He'll have to make it up next Fall with Harry, when I'm sure they'll both do spectacularly.

Now, about the article. I really cannot see them getting married THAT quickly. I'm betting that will be one of those things in the epilogue...what happens after. The speed of their relationship progression will not allow that sort of exponential leap. It just isn't sound writing principle, for one. In more general terms, they aren't even officially going out yet at the end of six. It is inevitable, but not quite there yet. How do you go from not dating to married in less than a month (unless you're like a moviestar or something and you marry and divorce within two days or something). We know Rowling would like to insert some morality into her story, as she shows from lessons learned at various moments.

Also, the whole living arrangement thing would be rather odd for a children's story. Just, not going to happen. Sorry. Well argued, though. Good thinking.

As for Hermione's parents. Well, I really don't think they can do much. She is a witch, remember? If she had an argument with her parents, and stormed off, (which I do not wish on her) they really couldn't physically restrain her. Think of Harry when he is emotionally charged and his uncle and aunt. Harry shocked his uncle in OotP without meaning to. Now, I'm hoping they will accept her decisions, supportively, but you can never tell with parents.

Ben24
September 17th, 2005, 8:12 pm
No way. they cant get married in b7, too young.

maebelle
September 17th, 2005, 8:17 pm
Hermione will be 18 on September 19th. Ron turned 17 on March 1st. Remember, he came of age (in the wizarding world) in HBP. That's when he got the weird watch from his parents and ate the chocolate (containing the love potion) that was meant for Harry! So, Ron IS of age, and Hermione WILL BE of age (in the muggle world) shortly after the school term begins.

cgold
September 17th, 2005, 8:36 pm
Oh, this is such a lovely theory and one I would love to happen. Very much doubt it will though. I just really don't see these two getting married before the epilogue. However, a few of your points are interesting to note and I won't be 100% surprised if it does happen. Mrs. Weasley's comments are a huge foreshadowing if this does in fact occur.

Cheers :tu:

libbypotter
September 17th, 2005, 8:37 pm
good editorial, good speculation. It is certainly an option. I did wonder why Hermione's parents seemed happy with her being away so much.

I have supported R/H since book 3 so if you saw it from book 1 well done. What clues did you pick up in book 1?

hairmetalist
September 17th, 2005, 8:39 pm
She has a good point. It would be interesting to them get married in book 7.

Witherwings
September 17th, 2005, 8:44 pm
I knew Bill and Fleur would be married as soon as I read book 4. (yet no one believed me :sad: ) Ron and Hermione married? I am 100% positive they will date, but marriage? maybe at the end.

witchygurl
September 17th, 2005, 8:45 pm
That makes absolutely no sense. first of all they aren't even going out yet and just because "they are meant for eachother" doesn't mean that they will suddenly decide to get married. The only suggestive thing that happened at the end was Ron stroking Hermiones hair (and they were at a very sad funeral). But seriously, there are no married student couples at Hogwarts, it's just too wierd. Molly and Arthur eloped when they were eighteen, after Hogwarts. And I don't think that Hermiones parents would take away her wand, because she is almost an adult in their world too, and I don't think that her parents were in the dark at all (Hermione loves to talk, she wouldn't tell them that those murders were just "accidents", would she?). Its just not going to happen (unless JKR has gone nuts).

Robingirl
September 17th, 2005, 8:45 pm
I hope so, but it's not very likely.

Musiclily88
September 17th, 2005, 8:55 pm
I don't think they will be married while at school, but soon after they graduate, it seems likely. They need to establish some sort of emotional connection in the romance department-- they've been "only" best friends for a long time. But I think they'll get married eventually.

Jevitt
September 17th, 2005, 9:00 pm
Could happen, just not in the very beginning..........Towards the middle maybe?

TR_IV
September 17th, 2005, 9:02 pm
Are u kidding me, JKR would not throw in such a huge twist that would take the focus away from the horcrux destroying and the war against voldemort!!!

Spoiler
September 17th, 2005, 9:11 pm
Can't see that happening. Marriage, yes, but not in book 7 and certainly not with Bill and Fleur. Hermione can't stand her. Can you really see Ron getting married at 17? He's too immature and Hermione wouldn't either.

Who says her parents wouldn't let her go back to the wizarding world? We know hardly anything about them. Even so, Hermione can still reassure them about the situation. I disagree with this editorial.

love4wood
September 17th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Ron already is of age! Or do you mean in the Muggle world-why would they wait for that? Perhaps I didn't read the editorial carefully enough.

_mione_
September 17th, 2005, 9:36 pm
However much I would like it, I'm afraid JKR would not go so far as to marrying the two in the series. It would just send the wrong sort of message to her young readers, who, like my insipid cousin, would take even the slightest hint of support from a respectable person whose reputation is very well generally liked and twist it to fit their needs.

No matter how much I would certainly like to see them married, I do wish to see it only in fanfiction. :)

Durmstrang_DE
September 17th, 2005, 9:42 pm
I would love for that to happen, but sadly, I don't think it's likely. If it did happen, I'd be very happy indeed, though. Mrs. Weasley and Mr. Weasley were married when they were 18 though I think? I don't know, I swear I hallucinate half of my facts. lol

crashnburn
September 17th, 2005, 9:50 pm
I doubt Hermione's parents would want to take her away from the country... you're reading too much into this.

oceandreamer
September 17th, 2005, 10:17 pm
Hermione is smart enough to convince her parents she will be fine. And she is of age, so she can use magic pretty much anywhere now. Her parents already know she is a witch, so she could use magic in front of them. She can apparate, so her parents can't force her to do anything, really. I don't really think they'll get married in the beginning. Maybe at the end though.

HPfReAk4LiFe
September 17th, 2005, 10:39 pm
Nopp it'll never hapen....Ron and hermione might maybe annonce their engagement...but they'll neer get married in book 7

notabanana
September 17th, 2005, 10:43 pm
There was a whole chapter dedicated to Ron's coming-of-age birthday in book 6. The only one not of age (as of now) is Harry.

But I still don't think Ron and Hermione would get married anytime soon. Imagine if you were a senior in high school and two people you knew were married. Its just not right.

Waterspout
September 17th, 2005, 11:19 pm
FROM ARTICLE:The constant bickering, prodding, and jealously will be gone. I believe that we have seen the last of the Ron/Hermione fights. They will still disagree, of course, but it will be in a less petty, immature manner.

I never went for R/Hr because I believe fighting and bickering is no way to start a relationship. Kindness does. Where's the love? :huh:

So if this happens, I sure hope all the fighting stops! They have enough to worry about, with a war and all. :scared:

FaceofBoe
September 17th, 2005, 11:34 pm
I can see them getting married ... but not until the epilogue.

LindseyH11387
September 18th, 2005, 12:19 am
Person I think that they may elope, not at the begging though. Throughout the books we have seen many refrences to Hermione being Molly and Ron Arthur. I really don't see Ron having enough guts to ask just yet, or Hermione for that matter.

headwig3
September 18th, 2005, 12:30 am
Interesting. But like most of the other people I don't think that Hermione and Ron will be married that quickly! I mean don't you have to wait till your out of school to get married? It would be too wierd for Harry. Besides no hunnymoon>?

FacingTheMusic
September 18th, 2005, 12:32 am
There's just too much speculation. First of all, Hermione's parents aren't figured in the story much, so I think it would be a big leap for them to suddenly interfere so much. The only time, to my memory, that we ever see them is at Gringotts in book 3 (I think it was PoA, correct me if I'm wrong). I agree with HPdork though, they are of age and Hermione will be 18 in September. I think the two will get married eventually, but not yet. I can't wait to see their cute dating days. Awww. And I think Harry and Ginny will get married eventually too. It's got to be one big happy Weasley family!

CrookshanksG
September 18th, 2005, 12:55 am
I am as big of Hr/R fan as the next one, but marriage early in book seven? Hmmm, not that I wouldn't mind of course, but at the same time, these still are considered children's books (even if more adults are reading them then kids) and encouraging children to marry young isn't really something I think Jo would do. Nor is it very acceptable nowadays. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

rach_rach
September 18th, 2005, 1:17 am
haha. nice editorial. but i'm not sure if they will marry at the beginning of the book, and i doubt they will have kids in this book. no offence, because i think mrs. and mr. granger are wise people, they let their daughter stay at the weasleys for almost the whole summer and everything. so i don't think they are THAT attached to hermione. if hermione wants to leave to be with ron, to fight, even they will feel kinda bad, i think they will understand. then, at the end of the book will be their wedding. hmm...that sounds nice. ahhh can't wait for them to be together

Marie0903
September 18th, 2005, 1:29 am
I can see them getting married ... but not until the epilogue.
:tu: I agree. I like Ron and Hermione together, but marrage at 17? It, besides being too young, is a huge leap from Ron stroking Hermione's hair.
I also agree with C.J.Cowles that Hogwarts will be open, but JKR doesn't talk about the teachers being married let alone the students.
It was a well written essay, and everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion. :blush:

Chris_04
September 18th, 2005, 2:08 am
Are u kidding me, JKR would not throw in such a huge twist that would take the focus away from the horcrux destroying and the war against voldemort!!!
(I can't believe I'm still crazy enough to read shipping editorials...)

I totally agree 100%. Ron and Hermione definately won't get married in the beginning of book 7. No way. That'd be too big a plot twist to throw at anybody (especially me, because I took until I read the HBP to ship at all). I think this is wishful thinking on the author's part. It'd be a big leap in a few months for Ron to go from stroking Hermione's hair to marrying her. Obsessive R/Hr shipper :) Oh, yeah, this crossed my mind when I was talking to a friend, wouldn't we all hate it if Jo finished book 7 without telling us that they ever got married, or... anything in the epolouge?
I am, however, totally supportive of Lupin/Tonks. That'll be fun to read :)

Abcde
September 18th, 2005, 2:10 am
I may be totally wrong on this one, but I could swear at some point that Jo said that there were some serious edits on the part of Hermione's family, something about having a little sister who wasn't going to go to Hogwarts, her parents being more invovled in the story, and ultimately she 86-ed all of it because she just wanted her parents to be in the background and essentially just be Hermione's point-of-origin in a literary sense, just to give her a backstory, but not to complicate matters. Of course, I can't find it on Jo's site (and I could swear that is where I saw it) so like I said, I could be totally off.

In any case, even if the Dentists did try and keep Hermione out, she knows what is at stake, I doubt she would capitulate on that. And in a literary sense, the ONLY point to having her parents interfere would be to get Ron and Hermione married, it wouldn't accomplish anything else (except to isolate Harry a little more, but that could be accomplished much more dramatically). I have had friends who married before highschool ended, and really, all it does is worsen the melodrama. I think that perhaps a wedding would be a great way to celebrate Voldy's downfall though.

If anyone knows about the nixed backstory on Hermione, please let me know where it is!

ayezhp
September 18th, 2005, 2:34 am
I think a marriage is really unlikely in the beginning of Book 7 (possibly in the end), but they will most definitely get a lot closer over the course of the book.

And in answer to:
I never went for R/Hr because I believe fighting and bickering is no way to start a relationship. Kindness does. Where's the love? :huh:

I distinctly remember reading that over breakfast one morning when Ron and Hermione were fighting, Harry thought they sounded just like an old married couple.

Brunetta
September 18th, 2005, 2:43 am
I love this theory, it is fresh and you have some form of evidence to back it up. I hope your correct as it will open up so many more angles for book 7. Maz xx

Arissya_00
September 18th, 2005, 3:04 am

Oh, I disagree. Love starts in many different ways, even from pure loathing, and to say that kindness is the way to start a relationship is somewhat of a generalization. They did not simply start their relationship from fighting and bickering, they started it from a friendship. Ron and Hermione may fight and bicker, but when it all comes down to it, they love each other, and the foundation of their relationship is strong.In the hospital, when Ron croaked Hermione's name, and at the end of the book when he held her as she cried, those are all not tremendously big gestures, but they do reveal the deep love they have for each other. Love is not always kind, but the essence of it is pure, and I see that reflected in their relationship.

As for the marriage idea, I do not think it is so far-fetched, and in my opinion, not much of a big twist, since it is already known that they will end up together, that only the question of when it will be made "official" to everyone in the books remains. I like the idea of their marriage helping Harry realize that leaving someone behind is not the only way to protect them, as the author says, and it will definitely be a very romantic touch to the final book.

H_Granger
September 18th, 2005, 3:04 am
I'm not sure of a marriage so soon, but an engagement, maybe. Yes, I can definately see that. Good arguements. Good use of evidence. A good, thorough article. Interesting read.

siriuslyinlove1
September 18th, 2005, 3:19 am
No. As much as I love the ship, Jo is not going to have two 17 year olds eloping at the beginning of the next book. It just isnt the kind of thing she would write. I also don't think that the Grangers were completely in the dark. They probably didn't know the full extent of what was going on in the wizarding world, but I am sure that they have a general gist of things. I like the idea of Ron and Hermione marrying young, its cute and plausible, but not before or during the school year.

Shewoman
September 18th, 2005, 4:33 am
I thought when Molly talked about her and Arthur eloping that we'd see someone do it.

greenphoenix
September 18th, 2005, 4:38 am
Nice theory that has some credibility, but I don't think they will get married at the beginning of the book... they may possibly get engaged at some point in the novel but the marriage will most likely happen in the epilogue. I think they will get married young like Molly and Arthur but not until the very end of the series.

On a side note I don't believe that the trio will attend Hogwarts as students. If they go to Hogwarts it will be for a reason other than classes.

mimsy
September 18th, 2005, 4:46 am
For what it's worth,you do NOT have to be graduated from high school to be married. In fact, my older sister got married at 17 at the very beginning of her senior year and has been married for well over 20 years. She was ready; some people are.

As for Jo "sending a message", there are many, many people in the world who believe that a message of early marriage is just more "moral". Besides, young marriage is romantacized in literature, even if in the "real world", in most cases its not practical. Jo can have all these deeply involved couples running around all over the place without breaching the subject of sex. Advocating young marriage is romantic and idealistic; advocating premarital sex is dangerous buisness.

snailscanfly
September 18th, 2005, 5:05 am
Hermione turns 18 almost at once when school starts, so she'll be of age in the muggle world as well right? or is it higher in england? nice twist though. i dont know how much of the hermione-ron romance we'll see in this next book.

hermione_pawter
September 18th, 2005, 7:30 am
Nah... They're just too young at the moment. I'm banking more on having them married in the epilogue, after Hogwarts. People may do crazy things during crazy times, but I think Ron and Hermione have other things to worry about (like helping Harry find the Horcruxes) before thinking about marriage. They've just unofficially appointed themselves as his "protectors" or something at the end of HBP, and that's enough to keep them busy to even think about getting married.

Don't get me wrong, I think these two really love each other. I honestly even think they love each other more than Harry and Ginny (we really don't see much of Harry and Ginny communicating like the way Ron and Hermione did, do we?). Compare the two couples... Ron and Hermione are BEST friends, while Harry and Ginny... Well, it doesn't seem like they're really best friends does it? But I digress... Ron and Hermione are really meant for each other, and I am really positive they will get married if none of them dies (omg I really hope they don't die!)... But the beginning of Book 7 is just too soon. After Hogwarts would be more realistic.

YellowRose
September 18th, 2005, 7:33 am
I do not like the way you say that if she marries Ron she will not have to answer to her parents. Ummm, I think Hermione is strong enough and independent enough to go it alone. Why do you think she needs to be either under the care of her parents or under that of the Weasleys? She can be under her own care, and knowing Hermione I think she would be happier that way. If she does marry Ron in the future ( I hope not now as they are too young) I think she would like to think of herself as being the one to help (and nag, boss) Ron :evil:

Also I just don't see any 'room' in book 7 for their marriage. There are just too many other things going on.

PS Don't get me wrong, I'm not much of a shipper but I do like the idea of these two as a pair.

hermionefan01
September 18th, 2005, 7:47 am
Hermione's birthday is in September isn't it? So she will be 18 like snailscanfly pointed out. I don't think marriage is too farfetched, but again, there's going to be so much going on, Harry brooding about how the magic trio is over probably wont have too much space.
That's my two knuts anyhow

topstuff
September 18th, 2005, 8:33 am

Ron is already of age. He turned 17 in HBP. Also, it's a very interesting theory, if a little far fetched. I'm sure Mrs Weasly would be a little upset about her ickle Ronnykins getting married. I'd love to hear from Mr and Mrs Granger.

Mae
September 18th, 2005, 9:05 am
jkrowling mentioned somewhere that the reason why she didnt bother introducing us to the grangers is that they dont really have a role in the books, so i doubt theyll try to stop hermione from being a witch.

that said, i dont think theyll marry in book 7. theyll marry, definitely, but we wont be readng about it (unless jo decides to have an epilogue in the end of the whole series discussing what happens to the characters in the future).

SirDegg
September 18th, 2005, 11:16 am
Actually, I don't think the Grangers could do anything to stop her going. She would only be a legal adult when she turns 18, but I'm pretty certain that you can leave home at 16 over here, so Hermione could go where she wanted.
Hmm... if only I was sure :huh:

Henrietta_B
September 18th, 2005, 1:49 pm
If this happened, then I would be beyond happy...I'm not sure it'll be because of your ideas prehaps, but maybe because of a mad spontaneous decision(?)! Mad spontaneity would be very entertaining and ligitimately important to the plot(?)!

Deevo
September 18th, 2005, 2:04 pm
Much as I like the idea I think it's highly unlikely that we'll see a wedding within the foursome till Voldemort is good and gone. Still the editorial does raise an interesting question though perhaps not in the way the author intended.

What of Drs Granger? I honestly doubt they're quite as uninformed as CJ Cowles theorises but as Muggles with a witch daughter they are now extremely vulnerable themselves. Surely Voldemort and his followers through either Snape (depending on where his loyalties really lie) or the Malfoys will be aware of those who have close ties to Harry and of all of them you'd think the Grangers would be the easiest target to use to get to him. If anyone needs to go into hiding for protection it's more likely Hermione's parents than herself, at least as a witch she has some chance of self defence.

Still it's a nice idea and something to at the very least write a fanfic or two about for those with the talent.

hellzfire
September 18th, 2005, 2:47 pm
I could see an engagement, but not a marriage, and definitely not in the beginning, since they haven't even confessed how they feel yet. JK said, that there will be a chapter in book 7 saying how the characters will be after everything is over (kind of like an epilogue). Maybe if they both survive, she'll state that they're maried there.

curlyfry
September 18th, 2005, 5:03 pm
possibly after Harry's death at the end of book 7

Topazfire25
September 18th, 2005, 6:00 pm
I don't think that Ron and Hermione would get married so soon. Don't get me wrong I am a total Ron/Hermione shipper and would love it if they got married, but I think that Book 7 is going to mostly about the hunt for the Horcruxes(obviously), and that the only wedding that will be actually witnessed is going to be Bill's and Fleur's. I do think however, that JK will state that they get married in the epilogue she has said she will write at the end of Book 7.

scooby
September 18th, 2005, 8:59 pm
Hermione will be 18 in book 7 (an adult in and out of the wizarding world), and Ron will be 18 from March onwards. You are allowed to marry at 16 in the UK, but you must have your parents' permission everywhere except Scotland (where Hogwarts is located). That is why many young couples elope to Scotland. At 18 (the age that Hermione and Ron will soon be), you can do whatever you want.

I think this theory is plausible. It is worth bearing in mind that Molly and Arthur married at 18 and are still together. Hermione and Ron's relationship is often compared to theirs, even as far as Harry saying that they were bickering like an old married couple.

Didn't JKR's parents marry very young?

iheartmyweezy
September 19th, 2005, 12:07 am
although this theory is not completely out of left field and i do find the idea of ron and hermione doing something so seemingly romatic as eloping early on in their 7th year quite a sweet notion, i don't actually see it happening. there are a few reasons why, as follows:

first off, i assume that early on in the year was meant to be either late summer or early fall, as you did mention it possible happening around the same time as bill and fleur's marriage. as someone else pointed out, both ron and hermione, assumedly, must be of age to get married. therefore, it would be necessary for them to wait until ron, too, was old enough, which would be in march. to me, that would still be rushed, but i have a feeling that the author of this editorial meant even more rushed. a small fact, but not ignorable.

with all that is going on, marriage is not going to be at the forefront of either ron or hermione's mind, in my opinion. first of all, hermione and ron will both, assumedly, want to let fleur and bill enjoy their wedding without overshadowing it with theirs. then, of course, there will be the grotesquely obvious problems of coping with dumbledore's death and the return of voldemort into a corporeal form. even the strongest of love, seasoned love that has had years and years to stew, would most likely have problems getting itself over such hurtles as these. ron and hermione do deeply care for, and even love-i do believe, one another. and this love may be years in the making. however, they are young and their love is quite young. not to say young love does not exist. on the contrary, i think something is surely to be said for people who can find one another so early on in life's journey. often it makes for a lifetime of happiness. however, all love is imperfect, no matter the circumstances. kinks need to be ironed out. ron and hermione are stil growing as people (despite all that they have faced both together and apart) and they need to finish that as they begin to grow together. it is too early on in their relationship for them to be thinking of marriage. which leads me to my next reason...

hermione is surely the strongest, most intelligent and level headed female character we have met in the wizarding world. she is rational, stubborn, and a quick thinker. for me, it is simply inconceivable to think that she would throw away all sense and marry ron. not that it would be completely ridiculous, as i do believe that they are meant for one another. rowling has clearly not dismissed the importance and strength of young love, as such people as harry's parents met at hogwart's and enjoyed many years of happy marriage together thereafter. and we cannot dismiss this fact, as these are indeed her novels alone. however, when it comes to hermione, i do not think such an early marriage is possible. it may just be my own perception of the character that i am unwilling to give up, but i do try to be as open minded as possible. it just seems far more likely that hermione, even when it comes to love, would be the same fairly rational, over analytical person as she always was. even as it became (in my mind) painfully obvious that ron and hermione shared a mutual affection for one another, hermione-on the whole, maintained a calm and collected manner about the whole thing. she lost her temper far less than ron did when it came to escapades with the opposite sex. in my opinion, she simply seemed content enough to work hard in school, look out for those she loved, and wait until the right time came along. it makes the most sense to me that she would simply continue along in this frame of mind, and realize that-for her, a rushed marriage would probably not be the best thing.

that said, i think there are certainly other factors involved, such as how hermione's parents will deal with recent events. if they do indeed try and pull hermione out of the wizarding world, the urgency would be more real. if not, there would certainly be no rush, altogether nullifying the need to wed so soon. compunded with that one must consider how close hermione truly is t oher parents. sure, she loves them and would not wish to spearate with them for an undeterminable length of time. however, every person's relationship with his or her own parents is complex and differs greatly from other's relationships with their parents. everyone is different. perhaps hermione will simply find a break with he parents as the necessary thing to do. to be honest, in my opinion, level headed and obediant hermione will not. but once again, that is solely my opinion. to me, the most likely thing is that hermione's parents will respect the world she is inextricably linked to and trust her better judgement. maybe that is just wishful thinking. nevertheless, my thoughts on thst stand as thus. if this were true, as i said before, an early wedding would be unnecessary, and i certainly do not believe that neither ron nor hermione would be willing to rush into something so heavy were it not necessary.

anyway, i have certainly rambled long enough. i will say before i go, however, that i throughly enjoyed this editorial. it got the juices flowing; it game me something new and fresh to think on. indeed, prior to this, i had never considered this thought. so, thanks for that!

gypsycave
September 21st, 2005, 4:18 pm
hermione'll be 18 on september 20th, though. (she was nearly 12 first year, according to jk). even if her parents pulled her out for the first 20 days of school, she'd still be able to catch up. and knowing hogwarts, they wouldn't care, they've let people miss entire semesters before. i dont think they'll get married during the book (in the epilogue they will definitly be married with kids). i think book 7, on the r/hr front, has a lot of giggling and playing footsie in store, and we'll gradually see their relationship intensify through harry's eyes.

Strider62442
September 24th, 2005, 11:00 pm
This editorial is very speculative. I suppose its possible. But it isnt probable that this will happen. Ron and Hermione have some things they have to settle before they are ready for marriage, despite the fact that they are perfect for each other. I don't think they have gotten together even on a snogging level yet. I think they need to at least go there before they get to the sleeping in the same room so we can to do the thing you do to make babies level.

As for the point about their relationship showing Harry that he should continue his relationship with ginny, this is rediculous. Harry did the right thing in breaking things off with ginny for a number of reasons. If you understood that scene you know that they didnt really break up anyway. There is no benefit whatsoever to Harry continuing to go out on dates or having snogging sessions with someone. It can only lead to giving people more weapons to use against you. Harry and Ginny arent going to discover the secret to killing Voldy while snogging. Continuing to court in the teenage style is not going to give Harry the motivation to defeat Voldemort. He loves Ginny so much that he cant risk her dying for him. He won't anyone step in front of him ever again. And he knows that Ginny is the person who would do exactly what his mother did and die for him. That is something that he cant bear. Ginny is the key to destroying Harry, they both know it, and both accept Harry's decision to silence things until voldemort is dead.

A shocking amount of people misunderstood that scene between Harry and Ginny at the funeral. I dont know whether its something in the teenage mindset or if the writing was clear enough, that made people completely miss the point. But thats just my rant.

iheartmyweezy
September 25th, 2005, 6:56 am
A shocking amount of people misunderstood that scene between Harry and Ginny at the funeral. I dont know whether its something in the teenage mindset or if the writing was clear enough, that made people completely miss the point. But thats just my rant.

i agree with you on this, at least to an extent. i don't think it peeves me as much as it appears to peeve you, but i think that people who were deeply upset by the moment harry and ginny had at the funeral are sort of jumping the gun a bit. although i personally have simply not found enough evidence to convince myself that harry and ginny are meant for one another on the level that ron and hermione are (to be quite frank, how many people fnd their 'one true love' at the age of 16 or 17?), i do not believe that this is the complete end for them. what happened between them happened becasue harry thought it was the right thing to do, and in this situation, i think we can only trust that harry knows best; or, at least that he knows better than any of us.

FireKracKer78
September 26th, 2005, 7:03 pm
Like the editorial. I've been a Heron shipper since book two, and I would love to see them get married. Yahhhh!!!!
But I don't think it will happen in the book. There might be hints indicating that it happens eventually. If it DOES happen in the book, it will be at the end i'm pretty sure.

Hey, my computer changes Hermione to Hormone too! How wierd is that? *Laughs hysterically*

ESCUDERO
September 26th, 2005, 7:48 pm
they will not get married they'll get together but tbheir marriage is in the epilogue them getting married during the book would inhibit the story which is not all about snogging but about fighting evil

kneazle_head
September 27th, 2005, 5:43 am
Hmmmm. I don't QUITE buy it, but that was a good editorial - allllmost convinced me. But I'm just stubborn.

I do remember that comment of Molly's and I remember thinking the same thing ^_^ but while I REALLY liked your point of Hermy being of age in her world and not in her parents, I just think that there's going to be too much in book 7 to fit in your whole proposed storyline too.

That said, Ron and Hermione are so getting married. I have thought this from book one also...somehow. It was just meant to be. :blush:

Fynn
October 5th, 2005, 12:56 pm
Umm... to be perfectly honest, I think that's quite illogical. Firstly, I highly doubt that Ron and Hermione would have progressed to that point so quickly, when they're not even together yet. Secondly, Hermione's parents are not going to be able to stop her doing whatever she feels is right, regardless of how dangerous it is. She has never allowed her parents to dictate her actions.
Third, the whole age thing... it just doesn't make sense. It's suggested that Hermione will be underage in the Muggle world and thus under her parents' control, and they wouldn't let her join the fight. But if they're not going to let her do that, why would they let her get married, especially if it was just a way of getting around their authority? Don't you need to either be of age to get married, or have your parents' consent?
Fourth, even if Hermione's parents could stop her from fighting while she's under 18 (which completely doesn't make sense, cos they'd have to lock her in a dungeon first), Hermione's birthday is in September (I think). Assuming the next book follows the usual pattern of showing the school year, she will be 18 for most of it and thus have no need of a legal loophole.
In any case, Hermione would never let a little thing like parental consent get in her way of helping Harry.

I think this editorial is wishful thinking more than anything else.

chandrah
October 6th, 2005, 3:37 am
Interesting theory, and very valid considering the foreshadowing of Molly and Arthur Weasley's 'hurried' marriage during a time of war. Yet there's something even more binding that I think has some potential for the final 'glue' that holds Hermione and Ron together, and that comes down to two words: Unbreakable Vow.

Rash and over the top, but then, well, where there's a Weasley there's a way...

Just food for thought.

Ginnyisme
October 18th, 2005, 12:19 am
totally awsome idea, but what will Molly say?

DiehardRandH
October 28th, 2005, 10:57 pm
I think that they might elope in the middle of the book. I don't know if it will be in the beginning though, because they have to work through a lot of things and I don't think Fleur would like it if Hermione stole her thunder!

Sol_Lyric
November 7th, 2005, 10:24 pm
Too you for marriage, I guess so but not too young to get engaged.

Feberin
November 28th, 2005, 7:04 pm
I don't think Hermione and Ron are going to be getting together very soon. After all look at how long its taken them to start a relationship! Have they even told each other that they love each other yet? Are they even officially boyfriend/girlfriend? The EARLIEST I could see them married is at the very end of the seventh book.
Anyways I don't think Bill and Fleur would want to share their wedding day with any other couple.

corriebird
November 30th, 2005, 2:43 pm
I think this is a fan fiction idea rather than an editorial about something likly to happen. ron and hermione havn't even gone on a proper date yet. you sum it up with somethign like "ron will step in to save the woman he loves" but I'm pretty sure he would have no idea HOW to do that. it's not like they've been in a passionate relationship for years now and he can't stand to see her leave. he'd probably whimper a lot and be angsty and be super nervous when he saw her again.

and I don't think hermione would have any problems with her parents. they've shown no interest or problems so far, and if they did I'm pretty sure they wouldn't mess with a witch, especially not one as good as hermione is. besides. that would totally deviate the plot away from harry, and that's not going to happen.

dhaney
December 1st, 2005, 7:32 am
this is a very interesting theory, a very good argument. :cool: but i have to agree with the others that marriage is just too SIRIUS for ron and hermione to think about. yes, maybe engagement, but marriage? i dont think so. :huh:

Claudia
December 3rd, 2005, 6:00 am
I’ll tell ya, I’ve been worried about an elopement ever since Molly Weasley’s revelation in HBP. But while part of me wrings my hands and frets about the “message” being sent by having two such popular characters marry so very young, most of me figures that these are fairy tale characters, and no one expects fairy tale characters to follow the more pedestrian advice we’d normally shove down our own young ones’ throats. So in a sort of “damn the torpedoes” spirit, here’s some more grist for the mill:

JKR tells us that in this book, Ron takes a giant step forward in terms of emotional maturity. She emphasizes his coming-of-age by having that event kick off the love potion then poisoning sequence. And she subtly indicates that Ron has been thinking about stepping into the adult world. As early as October, the wrestling match with the Snargaluff plant prompts Ron to say:
“You know, I don’t think I’ll be having any of these in my garden when I’ve got my own place” (Ch.14, “Felix Felices”)
Then at Dumbledore’s funeral:
“But mate, you’re going to have to come round my mum and dad’s house before we do anything else, even Godric’s Hollow” (Ch.30, “The White Tomb”)
By the end of the school year, Ron appears to realize that his childhood is past. The Burrow is no longer his home, it is his parents’ place. However there are no indications that Ron (or anyone else in the Trio) has given any thought to what comes after, except for Harry’s vague plan to destroy Voldemort and Ron and Hermione’s determination to accompany him, whatever that entails.

But to get back to the elopement thing…
“Perfect deliberation, divination, and desperation or whatever the hell it is—we all went for a quick drink in the Three Broomsticks after and you should’ve heard Twycross going on about her—I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t pop the question soon—“ (Ch.21, “The Unknowable Room”)
There are a million different jokey compliments that JKR could have written here, but she went for the “popping the question” one. I wouldn’t argue that this is any sort of indication that Ron is already subconsciously considering marriage (though maybe it is! :) ), but I wonder if it could be JKR’s way of priming us, the readers. A way of putting “Ron,” “Hermione,” and “proposal” together in our minds so that we are not caught completely on the hop by a hasty engagement in Book 7.

Hpmaniac666
December 18th, 2005, 10:24 pm
I am very impressed with this editorial, but i don't agree with it.

I think there is a distinction between Ron and Hermione getting married early on in the BOOK and Ron and Hermione getting married early on in the YEAR.

You see, the story of Harry and the Hocrux search has enough juice left in it to fill another seven book series (One for every Horcrux and the the last one for Voldemort.) Now this isn't going to happen, but there is still a chance that Book 7 will span over more than one year. I think the idea of Ron and Hermione eloping early on in the Horcrux search is very plausable, (I agree that this would help Harry as well as themselves, and I do like your idea of it happening as a result of Hermione's parents, which I can see reacting the way you describe) but only if this was say, a year on from where we leave them in HBP. If JK sticks to her book-lasting-a-year template, then any early marriage would have to occur in the summer before the seventh Hogwarts year (whether ot not Harry and friends attend), and I just do not see Ron and Hermione being ready for this by then.

The way I see it, either Ron and Hermione will marry round the middle of the book, which spans over a few years, or the marriage will be saved for the epilogue (Or God forbid, just confirmed on JK's official site and never actually mentioned in the book!)

After all that slander, I do just want to reiterate that I agree with the principal of your editorial and think it is very well written! Keep it up!

ChaedDayatl
December 22nd, 2005, 6:08 pm
Very interesting... I think you could possibly be onto something. It is interesting that Mrs. Weasley did make a reference to the fact that kids do tend to rush into marriage during wars. However, she was talking about Bill/Fleur, but we all know how JK likes to foreshadow. Besides, if MW and AW eloped during the first war, maybe they won't have a problem with it happening again...

Fury
December 22nd, 2005, 6:41 pm
I’ll tell ya, I’ve been worried about an elopement ever since Molly Weasley’s revelation in HBP. But while part of me wrings my hands and frets about the “message” being sent by having two such popular characters marry so very young, most of me figures that these are fairy tale characters, and no one expects fairy tale characters to follow the more pedestrian advice we’d normally shove down our own young ones’ throats. So in a sort of “damn the torpedoes” spirit, here’s some more grist for the mill:

JKR tells us that in this book, Ron takes a giant step forward in terms of emotional maturity. She emphasizes his coming-of-age by having that event kick off the love potion then poisoning sequence. And she subtly indicates that Ron has been thinking about stepping into the adult world. As early as October, the wrestling match with the Snargaluff plant prompts Ron to say:
“You know, I don’t think I’ll be having any of these in my garden when I’ve got my own place” (Ch.14, “Felix Felices”)
Then at Dumbledore’s funeral:
“But mate, you’re going to have to come round my mum and dad’s house before we do anything else, even Godric’s Hollow” (Ch.30, “The White Tomb”)
By the end of the school year, Ron appears to realize that his childhood is past. The Burrow is no longer his home, it is his parents’ place. However there are no indications that Ron (or anyone else in the Trio) has given any thought to what comes after, except for Harry’s vague plan to destroy Voldemort and Ron and Hermione’s determination to accompany him, whatever that entails.

But to get back to the elopement thing…
“Perfect deliberation, divination, and desperation or whatever the hell it is—we all went for a quick drink in the Three Broomsticks after and you should’ve heard Twycross going on about her—I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t pop the question soon—“ (Ch.21, “The Unknowable Room”)
There are a million different jokey compliments that JKR could have written here, but she went for the “popping the question” one. I wouldn’t argue that this is any sort of indication that Ron is already subconsciously considering marriage (though maybe it is! :) ), but I wonder if it could be JKR’s way of priming us, the readers. A way of putting “Ron,” “Hermione,” and “proposal” together in our minds so that we are not caught completely on the hop by a hasty engagement in Book 7.

Wow, I like that post... opened my eyes alot...

Yes, Ron is maturing, but I don't think it will be enough... I would be happy for it to happen and yes, Ron is looking into the future.... we have already seen the hints that Ron and Hermione will get together in the seventh book if they aren't together already... the end of HBP brought up questions... Ron saying "we" as in himself and Hermione... he was talking for both of them, which is what people do when they are talking about loved ones in a way.

I think it is a bit far-fetched that they could get married early on in the book... I am looking toward the end of the book in the ending chapter for it to confirm it, which would actually spark alot of fan fics on how they think it happened... I know I would write some...

I have been a big Heron fan for a while, and have supported the two since book one... I could see them being a couple just cause of the little connection I could see...

My two knuts, thanks!

ron_herm
December 29th, 2005, 7:04 am
I absolutely love this editorial. But there is no R/Hr if there is no bickering. And well, don't you think marraige is a bit too exagerrated? Oh, but I would love it if that happens. Thanks for this anyway. I am gonna show my very foolish H/Hr shipper friends this one. Will shut them up for good.(I hope).

loved it. thanks.

beauxbaton1000
January 26th, 2006, 9:57 pm
Umm ... I dont think they will get married at the same time as Bill & Fleur .. just a lil' too wacky, maybe someday when they're older. but definitely in the 7th book.

Mrs_BillWeasley
February 2nd, 2006, 9:38 pm
Hmm.. its an interesting thought but i doubt that ron will gather the courage to propose to Hermione that early in the book. I mean he hasnt exactly been able to express his feelings very well in the rest of the series. Also as someone aslo mentioned, Hermione is much too level headed to agree so quickly.

If something like that does happen (although i doubt it..)i can imagine it happening in an argument and then ron just yelling it out or something but then hermione would be all shocked and everything and then come back to her senses and apoligize and say something like

" Oh Ron, i'd love to but we..we can't. First of all ur brother's getting married and so much is going on it'd be too hard but i..i do love u and i want to get married" ok im no JK so please excuse my horrible writing but i think i sorta got my point across.

michellechin
February 25th, 2006, 9:02 am
I don't think that they'll last a second....all those bickering sessions....they hold jealousies towards each other....*sigh* I wonder if they could even get married...

SSJ_Jup81
March 1st, 2006, 3:49 am
I don't think that they'll last a second....all those bickering sessions....they hold jealousies towards each other....*sigh* I wonder if they could even get married...I don't get what's so difficult about this particular dynamic to understand. The reason for the "jealousy" is because other people are paying attention to the objects of their affections. If the two get together, then the whole "jealousy" thing probably wouldn't be much of an issue because by then, they'd know that no other person can take the other one away.

As for the bickering, let's just face the facts. The two enjoy bickering. Not only do they bicker when they have differing views (pretty normal), they do so even when they actually do agree.

nano_no1
March 5th, 2006, 11:36 pm
(i just wrote this whole thing then managed to delete it all sumhow! dunt u hate it when that happens??)

I am a major shipper of R/Hr...and this idea would be something id love to see...but not in the 7th book. For it would ruin the whole magic between them that has been built up steadily in the last 6 books - for them to fully realise their feelings, admit them, decide to get married and then get married....all in one book - a book that isnt necessarily about their relationship in that manner.

I dont think JKR would marry them in the 7th book for a few reasons. The reason above is just one example.
2. JK has written a series of dark books, an important topic - good versus evil, but still dark. She has written about how it is possible for the good side to fight the evil side by not sinking to their level (many times when Order members, Harry + other char. could kill the bad people - but they dont for one reason or another - but thats a whole different subject). Basically they don't opt for the easiest way out because that isnt necessarily what would help in future. It's the same with the R/Hr realtionship. If anything was rushed, they would be taking the easy way out - getting married and would have so many obstacles before even finishing school. Also, they have had a build up of 6 years - the sudden move into tying the knot would be disasterous after years of bickering and covering up their feelings and jealousy....and i dont want anything to ruin this relationship!!!!! Believe!!
3. It's a childrens book. Children aren't always as obsessed with these concerns as we are! Also, what would JK be saying with this answer. 'If you think you love someone, get married. It;s no biggy. It'll solve all your problems and you'll never argue again....' Marriage is a major decision. It can affect your whole life aswell as others.... (im trying not to go too much into this but its hard to make my point without it....and i so wana make this point!!) Some people say they are only books. What harm can they do...but they are majorly popular books all over and we are all very easily influenced/persuaded people. This kind of writing could tell younger people that rushing into this sort of realtionship is alright and would always work.

ok so i know that seems really way too deep - plus its like 11.30pm and 'deep' and 'late' dont mix, but i had to say it! lol. Well done if u managed to read all this!!!

Otherwise... go Ron and Hermione! Don't mess it up this time guys!!! :love:

Brooklyn
April 17th, 2006, 5:44 pm
Oh i wish that would happen!!! I totally would love to see them get married and be happy!! But i dont think that will ever happen...its just not jk rowling.

mommcgonagall
May 3rd, 2006, 10:55 am
Love this!!!!
I was actually hoping for a Harry/Ginny and Ron/Hermione engagement at the beginning of #7!!! Don't think any wedding bells for these 2 couples, though, not at the beginning. Their task in not finished. If Jo pulls this off, not much to look forward to in the end. I believe it will happen in the end. They must be OBHWF (one big happy Weasley family)!!
Ron and Hermione are my fav couple--Weasley is our King!!!!!:clap:

patronus615
June 10th, 2006, 3:25 pm
I doubt it. As much as I would like it to happen...I just don't think JKR will do it. Remember - We can assume that Hermione's first kiss was at 14, Harry's first kiss was at 15, and Ron's at 16. If Ron's first kiss was at 16...I highly doubt he will be married at 17.

hpmeanslove
July 18th, 2006, 1:55 am
This was a good theory and I liked it. But remember Hermione's birthday is September 19th- she's almost a year older than Harry and Ron. So after the 19th, just a few weeks into the school year, she'd be old enough to leave anyway.

LikeLuna
August 8th, 2006, 2:45 am
No, I don't think they'll be married early in Book 7. They haven't even kissed yet, so I really don't see them recognizing their feelings for each other, realizing that they are meant to be, accepting that marriage is the right thing to do not later but right now, and actually getting married, all in a matter of months. I could see Harry and Ginny doing that if Harry could get over his issues with her, but that couple has a smaller way to go. Also, couldn't Hermione run away to hunt Horcruxes with Harry? I think her parents would accept what she wanted to do, and there would be no need for her to run away. And I don't see how getting married would change that position.

horsefeathrz
March 25th, 2007, 12:05 am
Hmmm....marriage? It would be sweet, but they're really young. Arthur and Molly Weasley got married young, but still...I think Hermione wouldn't want to rush it that much, and the thought might scare Ron. I mean, it took them six years to bluntly show that they like each other (at the funeral) rather than just dropping tantalizing hints. But maybe at the end. It would be very sweet.

au_n_snitch
April 1st, 2007, 2:12 am
I don't think they'll marry any time during the book. It would just be a huge, huge digression from the plot. It's Harry's story, and even though it's his two best friends we're talking about, it's still Harry's story. Imagine the distraction it would cause... it wouldn't be beneficial, to say the least.
It's as likely as a secret wedding between Harry and Ginny... not going to happen any time soon...
On the other hand, I think both pairing will end up together and married--we just won't get to read about it. Darn...

Hinoema
April 1st, 2007, 8:31 am
Why not? The epilogue is supposed to tell us what happens to all the survivors.

au_n_snitch
April 3rd, 2007, 5:22 am
She'll tell us about it--briefly. Something like: They got married and lived happily ever after--until they had children...
No details of their ensuing courtship and wedding. Tough cookies.

Hinoema
April 3rd, 2007, 8:01 am
Be nice. :lol:

The epilogue may well be set in the future some ways, so I see no reason not to have a chapter worth of various details.

mrsXsnape
May 1st, 2007, 11:56 pm
RON AND HERMIONE!!!!!!!!!!

I am so against R/hr it's not even funny

au_n_snitch
May 3rd, 2007, 12:28 am
I couldn't care LESS about R/Hr, actually. I'm more interested in H/G... everything else is quite secondary. Wouldn't you agree?

Liselle
May 3rd, 2007, 10:29 pm
:lol: be nice everyone, not everyone agrees with everyone on shipping

au_n_snitch
May 4th, 2007, 9:28 pm
(chuckle) Ahhh, the shipping wars... I am certain Hermione and Ron will end up together somewhere in the middle of DH, making a poor Ginny-less Harry mighty uncomfortable. Unless, of course, he comes to his senses and renews their relationship (very unlikely.)

I wonder, though: what if Ron and Hermione really aren't suited for each other? What if they just don't connect when they finally have a chance to feed the spark? They've seemed attracted to eachother up to now, but attraction isn't enough to make a long-term relationship work--the only type of relationship worth having, in my opinion. Will theirs sort of fizzle in the end? That would make for an exceedingly short courtship... wouldn't it?

SSJ_Jup81
May 8th, 2007, 1:16 pm
I dunno about that. Just based on Ron, he can be fiercely loyal and after the fiasco with Lavendar and their lack of connection on an "emotional level", I couldn't see Ron making that type of a mistake again, and I doubt Hermione would remotely let him resort to that mistake. He seems to strongly care about Hermione. Just reading PoA, even though he was peeved at her and wasn't speaking to her, he still cared and worried about her.

banana_fritter
May 23rd, 2007, 1:01 pm
I don't think they will get married that early in the book[way WAY too young too even think about it], but I think that they will finally become boyfriend and girlfriend early on. I mean COME ON, JKR gave us all that annoying yet entertaining bickering and jealousy games for nothing? ;) Emma Watson said herself that they just continue to have fights over stupid little things only because they were scared of the possibility they might actually have a thing for each other. <3

Unfortunately I can't remember who said it exactly right now, but I think it was from a highly reliable source that JKR has written the final chapter of DH about what happened to the surviving characters, and assuming that the trio and Ginny survives[i cross my heart and hope that 'i get stabbed and have razors slit my eyes' that they do] that Harry and Ginny will get married, or at least get their relationship back on its feet, and that Ron and Hermione get married...[I]when they're at a good enough age. :p