Underground Lake #28: Part 5 - Harry and the Last Great Adventure

navygreen
November 9th, 2005, 1:33 am
Discussion for The Underground Lake #28: Part 5 - Harry and the Last Great Adventure (http://www.mugglenet.com/editorials/theundergroundlake/tul28e.shtml) by Brandon Ford.

starchica
November 9th, 2005, 2:34 am
Wow- I actually had that hope- about Ginny and Harry's baby- for.....about two years, but didn't think it was really possible....so it's really cool to see someone else mention it. You're right, it would be very poetic. But maybe not for a children's book. Well, I guess that JKR could always write around that whole ordeal, and never actually say they have sex... and maybe it would work?

What about Draco? He was missing from your book 7 predictions, and he was one of the characters I've wanted to see your thoughts on most. You've covered Snape pretty well- I think I agree with just about everything you said about him- but not much mention of Draco.

becmyster
November 9th, 2005, 2:42 am
I like the Greyback VS Lupin idea... No more Mr-Nice-Werewolf-Lupin-Guy... However, if Lupin dies I don't think it will be at the hands of Wormtail (though it's a sad but neat idea...) simply because JKR stated in her 2005 ITV interview that Wormtail would not kill Lupin... I wanted to pull up the direct quote but alas the server is down! But I can definitely see some kind of confrontation between the two... Perhaps instead of killing Lupin with his silver hand, Wormtail will aid in Greyback's downfall...maybe...*ponders*

The Obsesser
November 9th, 2005, 2:56 am
Brandon, this was AMAZING. Not only was it well thought-out and brilliantly theorized and perfectly put, as always, but the teen sex and the epilogue made my day. I want to marry you now.

I don't quite agree about Lupin and Wormtail's silver hand - I always thought the theory was very shabby - and though you have a point with the veil, I'm beginning to think outside the box.
From the Dursleys' point of view, they never asked for this responsibility. They never asked to be the caretakers of the savior of the world... but they did it. Horribly and begrudgingly, yes, but they did it. And that is a pleasant thought. If these selfish, mean-spirited people would take in this orphan despite the large amount of danger that faced them upon doing so, that really speaks well to the nature of man in a way. All I want is for Petunia to say, "be careful." That in itself, given their history, speaks VOLUMES. It says, "I love you." It says, "I'm so sorry for what I've done to you." It says, "I'm sorry about what happened to your parents, and I miss my sister too." It says, "I wish you well on your journey and good luck in what you have to face." If Petunia can manage just those two words, there is hope for us all. And that makes all the difference.
Yes. I so agree with you. That's going to happen, and it has to. That is the perfect resolution. It gives hope for us at the beginning, when lord knows things are looking ugly, as Harry must find and destroy at least four horcruxes before June.
Fred and George marry the Patil Twins and have quadruplets named Nitwit, Blubber, Oddment and Tweak. They are the two richest couples in the Wizarding world. They paid to have the Burrow refurbished and remodeled to look brand spanking new.
It would be better if they married Angelina and Alicia. Yes, I KNOW they aren't twins, but they're much better suited to the Weasleys. The Patils kinda suck, in my opinion.
She becomes the first Headmaster to officially ban Divination. She also makes it a rule that no new faculty member is allowed to wear a turban, carry a flask, have written too many books about themselves or be an appointment by the Ministry.
*snort* I agree with her.

Overall, this was superb. This series, Brandon, is excellent. I applaud you a thousandfold. Your editorials = genius. But, I digress... because...

THE WHEELS ARE IN MOTION!

WickedWitch
November 9th, 2005, 2:57 am
Ok no offense... but the first part really made me laugh! seriously, I fell off my chair, and not in a good way. I don't agree with the Ginny/Harry sex thingy nor the Petunia becoming all sensitive, maybe towards Lily but not Harry.
However the final battles theory is really good and I especially like Neville vs. Bellatrix, that MUST happen for me to really enjoy book 7...
I don't think the Grimmauld place will be plotable because DD was the secret keeper, so he must have taken the secret to the grave, right? So, in my opinion, no one new will be able to enter Grimmauld place because they never got the address from DD himself. so I assume it will be safe for Harry to return and plot his next move...
I really enjoyed the epilogue part, really funny, especially the twins part, hilarious!

Sheikgoddess
November 9th, 2005, 3:46 am
The epilogue was like the best bit I was **** several times over. Personally after book 6 I think Luna and Neville were meant for each other. I still want Harry to live though, coz after all that suffering it would be a well earned rest. Oh well only time can tell. ANYWAY, a lot of the final confrontations make a lot of sense and yes, Fluer and Bill's love child will indeed be the most beautiful child the world has ever known.... :p

Eric_Cartman
November 9th, 2005, 3:50 am
"As a guy, I don't think it is fair or even right that Harry Potter, savior of the world... should die... a virgin."

The way I look at it, who's to say that he's still a virgin after HBP? Jo doesn't tell us much about Harry and Ginny's relationship, so we could easily assume that they had already...done it. Lord knows, they had ample opportunity by the lake..... But there's no way that Jo would literally describe or even imply a sexual encounter.

As for the epilogue suggestions, I think some of them like the twins marrying the twins are a little crazy and obviously won't happen. Also, I doubt Jo would go into detail of Dudley having children! I believe that some of the epilogue will be about the wizarding world in general, and possibly about wizards and Muggles accepting each other more readily. Or would that just ruin everything? Anyhow, I don't think Harry is going to die. At least, he won't be killed. Maybe he'll walk into the veil and that's how it will end.

Sheikgoddess
November 9th, 2005, 3:52 am
Basically in short this editorial was brilliant, the best yet. I'm going to compete with The Obsesser for your hand in marriage!

Question: In book 6 - what was the whole thing with the cursed DADA spot? Do you think it was some kind of curse, coz if it is then we haven't been told about them sorts of curses yet

Eric has a point...

cenzonico
November 9th, 2005, 4:01 am
I love it, but can't Ginny pull Harry back from the fall into the veil at the last minute?

Sheikgoddess
November 9th, 2005, 4:05 am
I agree, I still don't want to see or accept Harry dying. But if Ginny pulled him back at the last minute, then she would be the hero

And unfortunately in the Potter universe I don't think or know if its possible

elimy
November 9th, 2005, 4:22 am
Fantastic editorial!!

Just one thing: JKR mentioned in an interview that one of the characters would come back to Hogwarts to teach, but not the one we would expect. She then said that it was not Ron.

I assume "the one we would expect" would be Hermione, so I personally think it's Neville teaching Herbology. I would've liked to have read Brandon's thoughts on it.

amberdeneille
November 9th, 2005, 4:43 am
I loved it! The whole editorial. Don't get me wrong, I didn't agree with some of it, but I loved it.

Oh, and I gotta say... the whole Petunia thing... her saying she misses her sister and that whole idea... I've been hoping for it for the last 5 years....

aaron016
November 9th, 2005, 5:33 am
oh i loved that one. One of my favourite's from you so far. I liked all of your ideas, especially about Petunia, and your Epilogue was awesome!! Even though in your version Harry dies... :sad:

As a guy, I don't think it is fair or even right that Harry Potter, savior of the world... should die... a virgin.

My favourite quote ever!! :rotfl: loved it, and agree with it to :cool:

Can't wait to read your next article!!

XDarkAngelX
November 9th, 2005, 5:44 am
I really liked the part about Petunia saying "good luck" or something, I dont think it would be anything more than a simple phrase because anything more would be pushing it.
I also liked the idea that if Harry did die he has a child to live on. But I think it would hurt Harry to know that he couldn't be there for his own kid. I hope that Harry will live so he and Ginny can get married and then Harry will be a Weasly, but still a Potter, and he will have the one thing he has always wanted ... a family! :love:

oh and the Lupin idea I am 100% agreeing with that. Lupin just needs to get really mad and kick some booty! great editorial! :clap:

SnuffleShanks
November 9th, 2005, 6:36 am
wow! awesome editorial and epilogue idea.....i really enjoyed reading it!!!! :)

Goldmare
November 9th, 2005, 6:43 am
Yeah, "be careful" would be perfect. It would be the right closer for that part of his life.

I don't think Harry will die. That would be sending the message that in order to destroy evil, you must be destroyed with it. Not everybody has to die. People will, but too many would be downright depressing. If she kills Lupin I will be very sad and very angry at her. Poor guy deserves a break. And I think Moody, Lupin, and Tonks have other things to do than teach, especially if Harry doesn't stay at Hogwarts. They will probably be running around trying to keep him from backfiring some curse and killing himself.

What will happen when Harry realizes the locket is a horcrux? It would be foolish to just aim an Avada Kedavra at it, but it must be destroyed. How can he destroy something when he doesn't even know what is protecting it? It would be suicide. He'd end up like Dumbledore's hand, with not even Snape to save him. Hermione better know her stuff, or Harry will indeed have a very short life. In my opinion, the entire task ahead of him is impossible without Dumbledore's help - and who knows what form that will take?

Sad, sad, sad, that ending.

We thought Book 6 would be chaotic, but I think 7 will take the cake.

Illythia
November 9th, 2005, 7:25 am
A few things:

Mr. Black is the one who made #12 Grimmauld Place unplottable and unapparatable. The sense I get is that those charms are still there, and the only one that will have disappeared is the secret of where it is.

Luna and Neville will not end up together, as JKR said on her site in the FAQs section.

I can't find it, but I swear that JKR shot down the theory that Peter was going to kill Lupin. I'd swear it, sir!

Other than that, a fun read as usual.

ix3MALFOY
November 9th, 2005, 7:38 am
Wait..... what does this silver arm have to do with Lupin??

Fieval
November 9th, 2005, 7:43 am
yay! soo excited all over again. love the bit about petunia saying 'be careful'. great editorial. can't wait for the next one!
really scared harry's gonna die tho! i would cry for soo long!

Georgie
November 9th, 2005, 7:46 am
Harry will die, yes. Otherwise, and not just for the sake of getting some resolution at the end of the series, can you imagine the franchise that will follow? Harry Potter continued movies, cartoons, tv series', and soooo much more. comics, etc, etc... Sure they could do it for Ron/Hermione, but Harry is the main character...

Ok, to what I really wanna say, great editorial! I really like all of the ideas, even the Dudley stuff... Though....

Ginny will do what Harry wanted to do in book 5... She will jump to the veil in a hope to save Harry, and will die. I only say that because I think it would be cruel for Ginny to have a kid to Harry (which she will) and then have to live all of her life without him, never able to move on because of the expectations the general public will put on her. So Ginny will die, leaving Uncle Ron and Aunty Hermione (with the help of Grandma Molly) to raise Harry and Ginny's kid. Black MESSY hair, brown eyes. :)

Again, great ed.

ashley_easter
November 9th, 2005, 8:14 am
That epilogue was the funniest thing I've read in so very very long. And the rest of the article was awesome too! Within your humor I'm sure there'll be a lot of truth once book 7 comes out. 10/10

hedwigthegreat
November 9th, 2005, 11:13 am
I for one would be fairly disappointed if Wormtail kills lupin with his silver hand... its too... well... obvious. It would be better if somehow to protect lupin his old friend he kills Fenir Greyback - now thats a good story! If that happened it'd show that wormtail hasn't forgotten entirely that he used to be good and would also go a way to redeeming his character. :eyebrows:

But then i was the one saying she'd never kill DD cos if she did it'd be too Obi-wan!! Therefore what do i know! :upset: :evil: :td:

As for the whole ginny/harry/baby senario... hmmm... i don't buy it! Theres no way really, realistically that killing him is going to be a good idea. If Ginny didn't exist, or even if she did but he'd never gone out with her then yes kill him as he's not got then connection to keep him here with us - ron and hermione have each other, and the happy ending is him re-joining mummy, daddy and sirius.

But she does exist, they did go out, and he's got a reason to stay with the living, he could die in 50 years and have that happy feeling then. I think it'll go one of two ways...

1) They go back for the wedding, Ginny's looking fab, harry struggles with his resolution that she must stay home and she ends up giving him a good shouting at and he realises she's not safe whether by his side or at home and they'll get back together

or

2) They go back for the wedding, Ginny's looking fab, harry struggles with his resolution that she must stay home and she ends up giving him a good shouting at but he shouts louder that this is how it must be until the big V is gone and she becomes, like you say the prize at the end - like Arwen.

I think number 1 is better just cos we've not really seen much of what ginny can do and the idea that she says home like the dutiful wife and waits for her man is kinda sexist really as she's an incredibly strong female role-model and it tells girls once again that they're no good for battle - and why is it then okay for hermione and not for ginny to risk her life? :huh:

Great set of editorials tho - any that result in a sensible discussion like this is cool! :tu:

Lisa
x

Rictu_Sempra
November 9th, 2005, 1:33 pm
Oooh...epilogue speculation! Thoery of my favorite kind! Thanks Brandon...

pottersleuth200
November 9th, 2005, 1:47 pm
I have been critical of Jo because except for the Horcruxes, I believe book six to be almost irrelevant to the series and just a bone that Jo threw to shipping fans, regardless of whether her "matches" matched theirs. (And I've already gone on record about my dislike of the word "snogging", which reminds me of nasal secretions and makes me a little sick on my stomach. ) It is my least favorite of the books so far. So, if Jo does add sex between Harry and Ginny, I would be disappointed because sex, and snogging, is NOT WHAT THE SERIES IS ABOUT. And please remember that Ginny is only 15 and in this country (USA), sex between Harry and Ginny would be a crime. I don't think Jo really wants to depict criminal activity. Yes, teenagers have sex and that is reality but who said that the Harry Potter series is based in reality? Nothing about a normal teenager's life in the wizarding world is similar to my reality. I cant conjure up a meal or apparate or ride a broomstick or turn my enemies into a bouncing ferret. So I would be disappointed to have most of the last book of the series dedicated to satisfying some teenagers' desire to read about sex. There are other venues for that. I want answers to my burning Wizarding World questions, for example, how did Regulus Black die, what is Petunia's secret, what is Snape really up to, why did Dumbledore have a glean in his eye when he found out that Voldemort could touch Harry and what is the significance of Harry's eyes being green just like his mother's.

I also believe that, even though there may be a battle in the end, or maybe even smaller battles throughout the book, I dont believe that Voldemort is killed via a killing curse. Some more clever way has to be used. For Harry just to avada kedavra Voldemort away would hardly be satisfying.

Someone else has pointed out that there would hardly be any point of everyone dying in the end. If the book is about choices, or love, or redemption, or loyalty, all of which are discussed by Jo, some lesson has to be learned. It cant just end in mass slaughter.

And by the way, Voldemort cannot go through the veil. If in actuality, he has split his soul into seven pieces, and each piece must be destroyed in order for him to truly die, then he would have no soul in the end, and become nothing. Therefore, he would not be waiting on the other side of the veil. The end of Voldemort would be his total destruction, not just a shove from one world to the next. He will be gone, utterly and entirely. That is the risk he took.

Desraelda
November 9th, 2005, 2:57 pm
But of course, I also think Harry will die.
Harry will not die. I cling to an obscure quote from JKR from the World Book Day Chat:
gazza: Will harry become head master of hogwarts?

JK Rowling replies -> I'm not sure I can see Harry in an academic career, he's seen so much action!
I interpret that to mean JKR can see him in some sort of career after VWII is over, just not an academic one. :tu:

As a guy, I don't think it is fair or even right that Harry Potter, savior of the world... should die... a virgin.
A line that every guy uses before going off to war. :rotfl:

What I want... what I NEED to see most of all is an absolution between Harry and Petunia. I have to believe that somewhere in that scrawny, severe, little woman is some modicum of recognition that Harry is family and no matter what, nothing can change that.
All I want is for Petunia to say, "be careful." That in itself, given their history, speaks VOLUMES. It says, "I love you." It says, "I'm so sorry for what I've done to you." It says, "I'm sorry about what happened to your parents, and I miss my sister too." It says, "I wish you well on your journey and good luck in what you have to face." If Petunia can manage just those two words, there is hope for us all. And that makes all the difference.
Well said. Although I’m hoping for something a bit more concrete during Harry’s last night on Privet Drive. I’m hoping for a real heart-to-heart between Harry and Petunia.
I believe Dumbledore, BEFORE his death, left instructions with McGonagall that Harry must return to Hogwarts. Why, I do not know. But Dumbledore has a picture in his office that can be spoken to.
I think Harry’s going to figure this out for himself. He may need some prompting from Ron or Hermione, but he’ll go back.
But I am scared about something. If Dumbledore is dead, that means all the protection of 12 Grimmauld Place is gone. Dumbledore was Secret Keeper for the Order. 12 Grimmauld Place is no longer a secret, meaning that unless Lupin or Arthur act fast, Number 12 is now Plottable, Apparatable, FINDABLE!!! Harry, once he has found the locket (which I think will happen rather early since that is the only Horcrux that he knows how to find, even though he doesn't know it yet), will have to have a little conversation with Dumbledore, not to mention he'll need a safe base of operations to come up with his next move after he has found each Horcrux.
The protections around the locket at 12GP (if it is still there) will probably be a whole gaggle of DE. But Dung may have hidden it somewhere, or he may have given it to Aberforth to dispose of.

As for a base of operations, how about Sirius’ old house? He does have one besides 12GP. It’s the one he bought with the gold left to him by Uncle Alphard. Surely it’s listed in the will. Hopefully, Dumbledore left a copy of the will with MM or someone that will know to give it to Harry. Maybe Arthur has it and he’ll give it to Harry at the wedding.
Harry vs. TFPWWNBN ... I think he will die by the hand of either Peter Pettigrew on Voldemort's orders, or by the hand of Voldemort himself, but he will die defending that horrible Potter boy.
I think he’ll die saving Harry and may give his monologue with his last dying breath. Since all this is still from Harry’s POV, I think he’ll spit on the body.
Lupin vs. Fenrir Greyback
Nice imagery and we all can hope for that scene. I think I read somewhere that JKR said that once the original biter is dead, the werewolf turns back to normal. I’m probably wrong, but it’s a wonderful thought.
Lupin vs. Peter Pettigrew
JKR has said, there will be no death by poking, so Wormtail’s silver hand won’t come into play, here.
Bellatrix vs. Neville
Same problem as Harry. We don’t want to see these kids who we’ve watched grow up from pre-teens to turn into killers ... even justifiably. But if it has to happen ... yes, it should be Neville, but not before a little Crucio ... or maybe a lot.
Voldemort vs. Peter Pettigrew
Peter will redeem himself in the end. Harry will be down, beaten. Before the deathblow can be given, the true meaning of Christmas will shine through and Pettigrew will find the strength of ten Grinches plus two! He will take the Avada Kedavra for Harry, giving Harry enough time to...
:rotfl: and so right.
Harry vs. Voldemort
Struggle, struggle, struggle, and into the veil they go. Harry will not be sad to die, because after all, to the well-organized and Horcrux-free mind, death is but the LAST great adventure.
Disagree ... Love is the Answer, Love Will Keep us Together, All You Need is Love. I can just hear the 60's music playing gently in the background as the horror of it causes Voldy-Poo to melt into a puddle of sweet, sappy goo.
MY EPILOGUE

:rotfl: :rotfl: :upset:

Well done as always, Brandon. Doesn’t make any difference if I agree with you or not, I still enjoy reading your editorials.

gualsa
November 9th, 2005, 3:18 pm
Wow that all seems a bit too much like happy endings for me. I dont think JKR would let Ginny become pregnant by Harry as I am sure she does not support unprotected sex.

I can only really agree with Ron and Hermonine staying together although I never really found them compatible. (And here is where I hear knocks on the door and outside are 4 Hermione/Ron Shippers with baseball bats and a mean expression under the balaclavas...).
It felt a bit like Brandons heart was not really in this editorial as it has been his others. Not his best work, sorry. :shrug:

SusanBones
November 9th, 2005, 3:22 pm
It was very brave of you, or foolhardy, to put your neck out there with so many predictions that probably won't come true. Harry is not going to die. This book is written by a mature woman, a mother, and it seems as if she understands the importance of living. So many young people think that Harry needs to die that it is rather disturbing, in my opinion.

I love the Petunia and all the Dursley referrences, though. I found this editorial very funny and I enjoyed it a lot. And I think some of the predictions will be close to what happens.

losiracr15
November 9th, 2005, 4:50 pm
beautious, beatious, but one gripe...

If Harry and Ginny have a baby, he won't die, especially by suicide (walking through the veil) because he grew up without knowing his ad and it is very painful so he(jkr) won't let him die if he has a child.

so... Ginny and harry alredi had sex and she gives birth after the wedding so harry is extra cautious w/ his life, destroys Voldemort and lives happily ever after w/ ginny and potter Jr.

THE END

Macro
November 9th, 2005, 5:06 pm
Frankly I think there will be a moment at the Dursleys where Harry will want to use magic, just after his 2 week stay with them will be over and he turns 17. But as he walks out the door, he says they are not worth it. Dudley will laugh, Harry will walk up to him, and say, 'You may not be worth the magic but I didn't say you weren't worth this.' And punches him in the nose after all Dudley has punched him in the nose.

As to Petunia and Vernon, well yes it would be nice that she/he says something like 'good luck' but I doubt it'; though a climactic tear jerker is Petunia running out the door and saying, 'I'm sorry'. Just don't think that is 'normal' for them...because then they would be recognizing magic as a normalcy. But then again their is always hope.

Next he goes to the Burrow, attends Bill and Fleur's wedding, then MOM to pass apparation test, then H, R, and H apparate to Godrics Hollow. I think Harry will find something in the ruins of the house that will help him--what, three vials of memories found in a secret room in the basement. And in that basement are portraits of JP/LP and possibly SB. We still don't know the three things JP/LP, or the Longbottoms did to defy LV. This leads to all kinds of speculation.

Marjor resolution is who is RAB? If we can make the assumption (and there is good evidence with Mugglenet/Leaky interview of JKR) that RAB is Regulus Black then

A. What did SB find out about RAB before RAB was killed and/or after he found out that RAB was killed? Why was RAB killed by LV or by LV's orders? Who was watching whom?
i. Who was RAB's confessor? We have a note? Did he leave anything else behind?
a. Could he have been friends with Snape in his earlier role as DE before changing sides?
ii. Who killed RAB? Was it Snape, LM, another DE? PP to prove to LV that he wasn't a member/double agent of the OOTP?
iii. Did RAB find other horcruxes? Did he have time to destory them? Did he leave a record of the other ones? We know from the missive left in the fake locket that RAB knew his/LV's secret. Did that mean he knew what other horcruxes there were and where to find them?

I begin to wonder what exactly were JP/LP's role in the OOTP where? What were they doing? Gathering what information? I know the Longbottoms were aurors but what else were they involved in?

So that means Harry has to do some detective work; find histories. Where does he start. With his own.

So that is where I'm at...sitting in a pile of mind maps of inter-relationships between events, objects, people, places, time etc....the pile parchment is getting quite deep...I offer up the first of many mind maps here (http://www.geocities.com/bap824/harry/harry.jpg)

yappa1
November 9th, 2005, 5:39 pm
I liked the series but apparently you kipped a few chapters in the books. LV has to end up a ghost. What's the point of JKR writing about the fear of death and not wanting to die if you only kill off LV. He'll be a ghost of the chamber of secrets with Mertle as a neighbor and Jeeves as a pest.

I am S Black
November 9th, 2005, 6:19 pm
Bravo!!

Seriously, I don't think all of it will come to fruition. But, that's not to say that you didn't almost have me crying numerous times throughout this editorial.

It had extremely sweet sentiments within it, and for that I commend you greatly.

Oceania
November 9th, 2005, 6:45 pm
Excellent editorial! I loved all of it, and agreed with most of it.

I don't think Harry will die---I think he will do something self-sacrificial to save everyone, thinking he will die, and that will be enough. In other words, at the last second, something happens and he lives.

Harry and Ginny having kids---I don't know if that will happen in the present stroyline, but even if it doesn't, it will happen in the epilogue. I think Harry will become a family man! Think about it---it's the first and most important thing Voldemort took away from him...it's his deepest heart's desire as shown by the mirror of Erised. He WILL have a family.

Ron and Hermione---definitely will get together, and maybe even create another household similar to the Burrow! Although, I think Hermione will work at the MoM, eventually becoming headmistress of Hogwarts, and Ron will become a professional quidditch player who brings about the turnaround of the Chudley Cannons. :) So it won't be exactly like Molly and Arthur, but in many ways will mirror that family dynamic.

Neville and Bellatrix----Agree.

Harry and Snape----Still not sure. Snape is so mysterious, who knows/?

Harry and Voldemort----Veil is a great idea, but I have to agree with Desraelda...LOVE will save the day. Not the veil, not Avada Kedavra, but love.

All in all, funny, excellently written piece. I REALLY, really enjoyed reading it! :)

burns20002002
November 9th, 2005, 6:51 pm
That was great! I almost hope your wrong, because I want to be surprised.
I loooove the epilouge.
Can someone hand me a tissue?
:upset:

JVJ_24601
November 9th, 2005, 6:53 pm
Brandon, I think you're losing your touch. THis editorial was just not up to standard. Number 1, I completely disagree w/ you about Harry dying; I think he will get his childhood dream, a family (the Weasleys). Also, Wormtail isn't gonna kill Lupin, JKR said so. Number 2, how can you honestly think that JKR is going to put sex in a Harry Potter novel? These books are written, primarily, for CHILDREN. OK, HBP had much more snogging than the average ten-year-old likes, but it's nothing over the top, or going into great detail. On the whole, I think you need to work a little harder on your next editorial. Disappointing...

myhermione
November 9th, 2005, 7:09 pm
First thing: Harry is NOT going to die!!! The whole story is all about love and what you can accomplish being loved and loving others. What would be the point of Harry's death? It would leave the story without a message, without a moral, without something to learn. I can't believe that's going to happen because in my opinion Jo sends out messages all over the place: You don't have to be superintelligent (Harry might be the hero of the series, but he's not exactly someone who doesn’t have to study for good grades), you might be a bit annoying (Hermione) but as long as you’ve got your heart on the right (or left ;-)) spot, you’ll have people around you.

Although I also think it to be appropriate for Petunia to say something like “be careful”, I can’t really see that either. Partly because I don’t know if the Dursley’s know what Harry is going to be up to the upcoming summer… they have never been very interested in Harry, have they?

Anyway: Still love your editorials! Never thought of what would have happened, if Lupin hadn’t been bitten. Though, it’s really an important “bit” of the story… It all would never have happened, so we can kind of be happy it did, because otherwise Jo probably would never have had to write about Harry, because his life would have just been fine…

My favourite quote? This one of course: “As a guy, I don't think it is fair or even right that Harry Potter, savior of the world... should die... a virgin.”

Love it!!!.

va32h
November 9th, 2005, 7:31 pm
It was very brave of you, or foolhardy, to put your neck out there with so many predictions that probably won't come true. Harry is not going to die. This book is written by a mature woman, a mother, and it seems as if she understands the importance of living. So many young people think that Harry needs to die that it is rather disturbing, in my opinion.

I agree completely.

This notion that it would be so romantic and tragic and dramatic to die is...well...adolescent.

If Harry dies, he will spend eternity with his mother, father, and Sirius. Okay fine - but is your idea of heaven really spending all your time with your parents? Perhaps when Harry was ten, this would have been his ideal, but Harry himself acknowledges that he has never been happier than when he is at Hogwart's - and can only assume he was happy with his parents, since he cannot remember them at all.

Children are meant to leave their parents and forge their own lives. Harry is a man now, his life is with Ginny, with his friends. Sending him back to his parents' care is a step back.

No parent who truly loves their child would say "give up your future to cling to me". JKR is a loving parent to Harry - she will set him free.

Darktimes
November 9th, 2005, 7:50 pm
Just a few comments on issues not included in the mostly tongue and
cheek(y) editorial:

* JKR avoids a direct question from Melissa in the pre-HPB interview posted on mugglenet......Was there someone else in Godric's Hollow the night Voldemort tried to kill Harry? In HBP, Harry states at the end of the book that he is going to visit Godrics Hollow....There must be a reason....Does he discover a Horcrux? Or somehow find out the identity of the mystery observer? Will Harry be reunited with the protection Lily gave him as a baby?

* We are forgetting Dobby and how he will fit into the final book. At the end of CoS Harry asks Dobby to never try to save his life again....Does this mean anything? Also, Dobby has risked a great deal throughout the series to help Harry. Will he do it again? He does possess his own form of powerful magic.....as Lucius can attest to.

* Dumbledore gave us clues to his preparedness when he stated " Death is just the next step to the organized mind. " He also told Harry that he devised ways to protect him and even Voldemort states to the Deatheaters that Harry does not know how well he has been protected. What has Dumbledore prepared for Harry and how will it assist him in his quest to destroy Voldemort?

I am in the camp that Voldemort being destroyed does not necessarily mean death.....Dumbledore says this during their duel in the ministry.......Voldemorts arrogance in not believing this is a clue.........

What does it all mean.........I agree with the editorial on one key theme.....their will be plenty of avenging.

CSantos
November 9th, 2005, 7:58 pm
OR, TFPWWNBN will die because something will happen to Draco, I haven't decided yet.

+

jkrowling.com

Rumour: Luna is Snape's daughter
This is a most tantalising idea, but no, Mr. Lovegood, the editor of 'the Quibbler', really is Luna's father and Snape does not have a daughter.

I believe that there was a lot of expeculation about Snapes's son
And this made me think......

Is Draco Snape's son? Narcissa and snape seems very close indeed.......

(i'm a little "out" of the new rumours and theories, so i don't know if this has been discussed already)

myhermione
November 9th, 2005, 8:14 pm
+

I believe that there was a lot of expeculation about Snapes's son
And this made me think......

Is Draco Snape's son? Narcissa and snape seems very close indeed.......

(i'm a little "out" of the new rumours and theories, so i don't know if this has been discussed already)

But Draco looks like Mr Malfoy, not like Snape, doesn't he?

mark_evens
November 9th, 2005, 8:50 pm
OK, I think you are going to be 75% right. That has been your record so far, and a pretty good one considering the author has wit to spare.

Harry the Virgin. She won't touch that with a 10 foot pole. Ginny WILL be intergral, and they will be together in the end, but snogging is as far as JKR will write about.

Durslys This will be interesting. I'm wondering if the house will actally be beseiged. I'm also keeping an eye on Petunia, but I think the relevations from here are going to be about Lily, not her fondess for Harry.

revenge The DA is kinda included here as well. I like all the predictions except Harry and TFPWWNBN. The only thing I feel diferently on is that Harry will have a greater understanding of TFPWWNBN, and ultimatly forgive him. But yeah, Snapes gonna die. I think he will be vital in prepping Voldy for Harry to finish him off, if Snape isn't the one to do it, but he'll die.

And to Pottersleuth 200 who wrote:I have been critical of Jo because except for the Horcruxes, I believe book six to be almost irrelevant to the series and just a bone that Jo threw to shipping fans, regardless of whether her "matches" matched theirs.I couln't dissagree more. Book 6 set up the right conditions for the final confrontation.

It put Snape, who will be redeamed, seemingly beyond redemtion.

We know ALL about Voldy's past, the knowledge of which will in all likelyhood be key in Voldy's downfall.

We know about horcruxes, the knowledge of which WILL be Voldy's downfall.
Harry was stripped of his own hero and last protecter, Dumbledore.

Harry has finally seen the prophesy and his place in it in the way that frees him of it, in contrast to voldemort, who is bound by it. Look for that to be key in the downfall as well.

The bonds of the Trio are absolutly set in stone. Harry is off to do what he has to do, and Ron and Hermione are goin too. No other way.

As far as your "shipping bone," being all this book was about... I'm sorry, JKR is not writing for any specific fans, or to any fans at all. She is writing this book because this is what her love of writing brings out of her. If you think this book is so unimportant, take all 7 books when the series is done, and read them all straight through, skipping 6, and I think you will find you are very mistaken in thinking this book was unimportant.

Kylenn_Black
November 9th, 2005, 10:13 pm
Bravo! This editorial made me crack up, in a good way!

Lupin won't be killed by Peter's silver hand. JKR said no death by poking.

Neville vs. Bellatrix - Oh, yes! I've already got this one sorted: Neville will sneak up on her with a potted Devil's Snare and jam it down over her head. The plant will take things from there.

Harry the Virgin - [small voice] I don't think Harry's still a virgin. Just sayin'.[/small voice]

They have a son, Harry James Sirius Remus Albus Weasley, who is destined to become a headmaster at Hogwarts by virtue of his inordinate number of names.

Bwah!

Desraelda
November 9th, 2005, 10:23 pm
And to Pottersleuth 200 who wrote:I couln't dissagree more. Book 6 set up the right conditions for the final confrontation.

It put Snape, who will be redeamed, seemingly beyond redemtion.

We know ALL about Voldy's past, the knowledge of which will in all likelyhood be key in Voldy's downfall.

Harry has finally seen the prophesy and his place in it in the way that frees him of it, in contrast to voldemort, who is bound by it. Look for that to be key in the downfall as well.

The bonds of the Trio are absolutly set in stone. Harry is off to do what he has to do, and Ron and Hermione are goin too. No other way.

As far as your "shipping bone," being all this book was about... I'm sorry, JKR is not writing for any specific fans, or to any fans at all. She is writing this book because this is what her love of writing brings out of her. If you think this book is so unimportant, take all 7 books when the series is done, and read them all straight through, skipping 6, and I think you will find you are very mistaken in thinking this book was unimportant.
Well analyzed and beutifully said. I agree 100%.

pottersleuth200
November 9th, 2005, 11:30 pm
originally posted by mark_evens
And to Pottersleuth 200 who wrote:I couln't dissagree more. Book 6 set up the right conditions for the final confrontation.

It put Snape, who will be redeamed, seemingly beyond redemtion

We always knew that Snape was a double dealing fellow who could go either way and Book Six did not clear up this mystery.

The knowledge of Voldemort's past is tied up in the horcrux line, and that IS important. But take out that part, and you really could skip book 6.

I would not assume that Dumbledore was Harry's last protector. There are still powerful wizards and witches about. Some of the bad guys even have a life debt to pay to Harry. And many people thought Dumbledore would die before it was over anyway.

Harry knew this already. Dumbledore tried to explain that in Book Five. And it does not change the fact that Voldemort has chosen to take the prophecy seriously and force Harry to deal with it as well, no matter how free he may feel of its influence.

Harry, Hermione and Ron may still be really good friends, but I wouldnt say that this book cemented their friendship. I always thought their friendship was strong. What exactly happened in this book to cement their friendship? They didnt believe Harry, they never actually helped him do anything in this book, although they tried. Yet, we always knew that if Harry needed them, they would be there. I knew that after reading Book One.

I think the horcruxes are very important, but nothing else that happened in this book really affects the plot. I'm sorry, that's just what I think. I liked all of the other books better.

GinnyPotter71
November 10th, 2005, 1:06 am
To Pottersleuth200: You've got to be kidding me. How stubborn do you get? Dumbledore IS his last protector because he's the only one Voldy ever feared, and the Snape mystery has changed drastically since Book 5. After Book 5 most people still thought Snape was good (with no evidence otherwise), but now after Book 6, most people think he's bad. Thus, the thing about him seeming past redemption.

Skipping down to your response to the prophecy, Harry most certainly did not know his place in the prophecy whether Dumbledore tried to explain it to him or not.

Also the Trio's friendship was greatly cemented since we know Ron and Hermione are going with him on his journey, which is saying they will be there to the death on this final life or death journey. All the times they did this before were barely thought out, Ron and Hermione have committed to this practically three months before their journey is to start.

To the last part: What bloody planet have you been on? Did you not read Book 6? Snape killing Dumbledore, whether you thought he would or not, you certainly didn't know that FOR FACT after Book 5!
The Unbreakable Vow, we certainly did not know about.
Draco and his possible redemption after lowering his wand before TFPWWNBN burst in
Voldemort's past which quite frankly has nothing to do with the Horcruxes (which you seem to think is the only important part of Book 6)
Professor Slughorn and Lily's amazing ability at potions
The fact that Harry is NOT GOING BACK TO HOGWARTS! which is a pretty damn big part considering the LAST SIX BOOKS have all followed the same structure!
If you were really a hard-core or even mediocre fan of Harry Potter, you wouldn't insult Book 6, and you wouldn't be stupid enough to insult Book 6 on a comments board FULL of hard-core Harry Potter fans.

Sorry about that, really had to get that out of my system...

Oh and to Brandon: There is not, never has been, and certainly never will be sex in a Harry Potter. That was insulting to JKR to think that she would write that. Also, I always thought that Fred and George would end up with Angelina and Alicia. And JKR said in an interview that Pettigrew wouldn't kill Remus. Okay editorial but certainly not your best...I agreed with the Petunia part, and I think Snape definitely be part of the final battle and all, but the Lupin vs. Greyback thing didn't make sense, and I think Ginny's gonna come with the Trio on their journey personally.
Good editorial even though I don't agree with some of it...

juliweasley
November 10th, 2005, 1:32 am
Very Good! I don't agree with with the Trelwney and Firenze ship OR that Harry will die ( I just couldn't bear it!) But I love your editorials and you have been on the spot more oten than not. Thanks and good luck!

matthew8580
November 10th, 2005, 1:42 am
AWWWWW I wanted to cry after reading this epilogue....but it makes me sosososososososososososososo sad for Ginny to be by herself... *crys a lot*

ID824
November 10th, 2005, 2:15 am
I don't necessarily disagree with the theory of Harry having to die in the end, however, I don't think the veil is going to do it, and I have a hard time believing that Harry has a "well-organized" mind in any sense of the word. He is so enraged with LV, in love with Ginny, missing his parents, missing DD, he's only 17 - there's a whole host of things that make me think Harry will live. I like the twist and secretly HOPE it will happen, but I don't see it being very likely.

Here's how I see things with the Dursleys - Harry goes back to #4 Privet Drive and the Dursley's are as mean as ever, but let it slide knowing Harry will only be around for a few days. Harry will go off, do his thing, and at the end of the book, Harry will be on the muggle news for being involved in some huge incident that the muggles noticed, and celebrated by "the Other Minister" as being a boy-hero for England, and the Dursley's being as Dursley as they can be conveniently forget that he's a wizard and bask in his reflected glory and make sure all their neighbors know it was they who raise the new "hero" since he was a baby. And just while they are enjoying the spotlight in front of all the residents of Privet Drive, Arabella Figg stops by and lays down the law telling everyone who will listen how things really were - how they mistreated Harry and made him live under the stairs. As a result, Vernon loses his job with Grunnings and they are forced to move to some low-rent area of London.

I think Wormtail will redeem himself with Harry and either kill Fenrir with his hand, or will do something to let the Order know to look out for something that's going to happen.

I think the reason that DD trusted Snape was because Snape took a vow with DD like he did with Narcissa to protect Harry. Notice in EVERY SINGLE BOOK - whenever Harry is being attacked by someone, if Snape is around, he steps in to stop it. Not from everyday tormenting like what Draco and the other henchmen do (or himself for that matter) - but he always stops OTHER people from doing any kind of harm to harry. This is the twist we will find out about Snape at the end.

I'm going to have to go back and read the Spinners End chapter again, but did Snape's agreement with Narcissa mean he would protect Draco for all time, or only while Draco was trying to kill DD? This magical bond may be over with now, which will be good for Snape's sake since Draco is likely to be punished or perish at the hand of LV for not killing DD himself.

The part about Ginny will be interesting - it makes me wonder if LV is really weak against love, maybe Harry and Ginny can just do some "uber-snogging" right in front of LV - right in the face of danger, and this single act of defiance and true love will cause LV such pain that he will just pop. :blush:

CrookshanksG
November 10th, 2005, 2:49 am
Sooooo... This was more of a story then an editorial, huh?
I'm for the Lupin vs. Greyback and I'm for the Neville vs. Bellatrix and I'm for the Harry vs. Snape and Harry vs. Voldemort.
I do believe, though, that Jo said somewhere that Peter does NOT kill Lupin with the silver hand like we all immediately thought.
These are CHILDREN'S books, as much of a reality it is for teenagers to have sex, it does not happen in CHILDREN'S books. This was a fancy fanfic add in, I feel.
What is your support for your various concluding theories??
I enjoyed reading it, but...

Oh, ID824, I just read your idea of the final Dursley confontation and I love it!! I would snicker loudly in glee if that really happens!!

pottersleuth200
November 10th, 2005, 3:53 am
From GinnyPotter71
To the last part: What bloody planet have you been on? Did you not read Book 6? Snape killing Dumbledore, whether you thought he would or not, you certainly didn't know that FOR FACT after Book 5!
The Unbreakable Vow, we certainly did not know about.
Draco and his possible redemption after lowering his wand before TFPWWNBN burst in
Voldemort's past which quite frankly has nothing to do with the Horcruxes (which you seem to think is the only important part of Book 6)
Professor Slughorn and Lily's amazing ability at potions
The fact that Harry is NOT GOING BACK TO HOGWARTS! which is a pretty damn big part considering the LAST SIX BOOKS have all followed the same structure!
If you were really a hard-core or even mediocre fan of Harry Potter, you wouldn't insult Book 6, and you wouldn't be stupid enough to insult Book 6 on a comments board FULL of hard-core Harry Potter fans.

Sorry about that, really had to get that out of my system...

I dont think you even read what I said, and I think these forums are supposed to be discussing our thoughts and theories. Most people in the forums keep an open mind, whether or not they are hard core. What would you have me do? Would you feel better if I said POA was my least favorite, or perhaps COS? I've read a lot of book series and I don't love all of the books in the series equally. That is NORMAL.
You dont know that Harry is not going back to Hogwarts. You won't find out until the 7th book. So what did book six really tell you about that? What did Book Six tell you about whether or not Snape is on the good side or not. Please look up "plot advancement" and try to understand what I am saying.

And Voldemort's past as revealed by Dumbledore in Book Six has everything to do with the horcruxes. Looks like you missed the whole point of book Six. Better re-read.

Marie0903
November 10th, 2005, 4:37 am
[QUOTE=pottersleuth200]From GinnyPotter71

I dont think you even read what I said, and I think these forums are supposed to be discussing our thoughts and theories. Most people in the forums keep an open mind, whether or not they are hard core. What would you have me do? Would you feel better if I said POA was my least favorite, or perhaps COS? I've read a lot of book series and I don't love all of the books in the series equally. That is NORMAL.
:tu: Well said! I enjoy reading all the different opinions. So many times I've read a theory and thought " wow , that never crossed my mind! " I respect the effort that people put forth to write the editorials and the responses. It takes a lot of guts to put yourself out there, and it's extremely unfair to be critcized for it. I don't agree with everything I read here( especially the theories about Harry dieing :upset: ) but I do try to keep an open mind.

jenny07
November 10th, 2005, 5:20 am
Reasoning that Harry can't die a virgin is, like you said, a very teenage boy oriented thought. Not necessarily one that would cross a mature, older woman's mind. Although the books have gotten darker, they are still very popular among children. JKR (and most respectable adults for that matter) would not include unprotected sex and teenage pregnancy to young children. They will certainly have children, but after they are married.
And all of this assuming that they've already had sex? I find it a bit disturbing....

I'm with you that Petunia will show SOME sort of remorse/caring towards either Harry or Lily. It would be nice, and fit the theme of love.

plainlypotter
November 10th, 2005, 8:02 am
"As a guy, I don't think it is fair or even right that Harry Potter, savior of the world... should die... a virgin."

The way I look at it, who's to say that he's still a virgin after HBP? Jo doesn't tell us much about Harry and Ginny's relationship, so we could easily assume that they had already...done it. Lord knows, they had ample opportunity by the lake..... But there's no way that Jo would literally describe or even imply a sexual encounter.

Much as I didn't agree with a lot of this editorial, I do agree with Eric's interpretation of Harry and Ginny's relationship - after all JK does tell us that Ginny tells us that Harry has a macho dragon tatooed on his chest - since swimming lessons don't seem to be a regular class at hogwarts this would indicate that there has been some clothes being removed. I know that the comment was said in jest but you notice that Harry waasn't denying Ginny's possible knowledge.

Dancing_Blade
November 10th, 2005, 8:22 am
Yes,Harry is a horcrux.
Yes,all the horcruxes must be destroyed.
But Harry has a very small possibility to stay alive AND stop being a horcrux, even if he falls through the veil-taking Voldemort with him.
WHY? And how?
The answer is simple once you have found it; but I let you think about it for a while!

sdl7r
November 10th, 2005, 2:25 pm
While I agree with you that Harry and Ginny will probably have children - I mean, after all, how else could the epilogue really end? But I don't think they will have one within the next year...somehow I can't see a pregnant Ginny finishing her last two years at Hogwarts as pregnant and then a single mom.

celtickitty89
November 10th, 2005, 2:53 pm
I like the idea of Harry and Ginny having a child with a lightning bolt birthmark. I always kind of hoped that the last words of book 7 would be something along the lines of "...and as Harry looked down at the small baby, with wispy red hair and familiar emerald green eyes, cuddled in Ginny's arms, his breath was taken away when he saw she had a birth mark on her forehead shaped just like his scar."
But I don't think he'll die. This is Harry Potter, not LotR or the Matrix.

CrookshanksG
November 10th, 2005, 3:12 pm
Yes,Harry is a horcrux.
Yes,all the horcruxes must be destroyed.
But Harry has a very small possibility to stay alive AND stop being a horcrux, even if he falls through the veil-taking Voldemort with him.
WHY? And how?
The answer is simple once you have found it; but I let you think about it for a while!

Aren't we certain?
Nothing is certain right now.
And if you do know for certain, why don't you write an editorial supporting your theory and whatever you think your answer is. Then maybe we'll take you more seriously.

Popy
November 10th, 2005, 3:17 pm
I loved tehe editorial and the epilogues.... but i hate the idea of ginny being alone and a single mom.... oh, and celtickitty89 your pot was great!!!

Shewoman
November 10th, 2005, 3:42 pm
Interesting ed! I do think Neville and Luna will get together . . . Jo only said they wouldn't do so in HBP. And I love the thought of Neville taking Bella out. It won't be murder if it's during a battle (like the MoM) . . . I'm a little bewildered by how many people on this board think killing Voldemort or Death Eaters who have done so much damage and will do so much more if not stopped is murder.

The Weasley twins would end up stranding the Patil twins on the moons of Jupiter. Angelina, Alicia, Katie are more their style.

I love McGonagall's new rules! They should have been passed long ago.

I think Snape, not Wormtail, will die protecting Harry.

Pottersleuth, it's hard for me to see how the book in which Dumbledore is killed isn't relevant to the series. While we've always seen Snape as a double agent, in this book he really moved front and center (and so will probably be important, even if offstage a lot, in #7). We got more conflicting information about him than we'd had before. We also learned a lot more about Voldemort and a little about Lily. I think all of this is going to matter in Book 7.

Desraelda
November 10th, 2005, 4:14 pm
I'm a little bewildered by how many people on this board think killing Voldemort or Death Eaters who have done so much damage and will do so much more if not stopped is murder.
Of course it's not murder. There's a big difference between killing someone in self-defense or defense of others and murder.

However, we know these kids. We've seen them grow up and many of the readers have grown up with them. We have a lot invested in them emotionally. It's hard to think of them being able to kill someone even with the ultimate justification.

It's not so easy to kill someone; even Draco knows that now.

lioness58
November 10th, 2005, 4:43 pm
I agree with the idea of Neville being the one to become a Hogwarts teacher. There's much more to Neville than meets the eye, as I think we've all discovered. On the other hand, perhaps Luna. . .and Brandon, was it really necessary to force the image on us of Trelawney mating with the Centaur? Yipes!

missadeline
November 10th, 2005, 5:14 pm
harry must die. i don't want it, but it's gotta happen. why? because, one of the intregal parts of book six, stressed TWICE, is this: "it was the choice between being dragged into an arena to fight to the death, and walking wht your head held high." or something like that, and furthermore at the end of book six, at the funeral: "it was the fighting that was importent, dumbledore had said, because if you kept on fighting you could defeat evil, even if you could never truly eradicate it...." or something to that effect.

i don't have my book with me to more adequletly quote it...

Adults4Harry
November 10th, 2005, 5:43 pm
Nice working "scar" as your last word in your epilogue! nice

myhermione
November 10th, 2005, 5:49 pm
To me pottersleuth200 seems a bit disappointed in Book 6 being not as action-packed as the others. Even if all we had to learn was only about the horcruxes.... that is a major piece of information for the plot. If Dumbledore hadn't passed that knowledge on to Harry, he wouldn't have any clue as to how to defeat Voldemort.

misskneazle
November 10th, 2005, 6:01 pm
Much as I didn't agree with a lot of this editorial, I do agree with Eric's interpretation of Harry and Ginny's relationship - after all JK does tell us that Ginny tells us that Harry has a macho dragon tatooed on his chest - since swimming lessons don't seem to be a regular class at hogwarts this would indicate that there has been some clothes being removed. I know that the comment was said in jest but you notice that Harry waasn't denying Ginny's possible knowledge. :blush: You're right, and I believe JKR said something about having an issue with writers who didn't explore teenage love in it's reality(dont remember or no where to find the quote). I agree that she may reference it in subtle fashion, but never blatantly put it out there(and who really wants to read all about intimate details of the characters sex life in these books anyway?). Harry and Ginny will have kids in the future, the girl will have red hair and green eyes and be the exact physical replica of her grandmother Lily Potter.

Okay, I do not believe Harry will die(at least I hope he wont), but no I just dont see it, I believe the whole trio will survive.

I do believe there will be a battle(but no Hamlet style ending) and agree with:
Harry vs Snape
Harry vs Voldemort(obviously)
Lupin vs Greyback
Peter dies, FINALLY doing something right, aiding Harry.
Snape dies(not protecting Harry, not sure how)
Neville vs Bella

I know there are a lot of theories that Harry may become a teacher, but I think JKR squashed that rumor, she said something to the effect of not being able to see Harry as a teacher because it wouldnt be exciting enough for him, then she added "if he lives".

MissWolff
November 10th, 2005, 8:09 pm
Deleted just because.

CrazyIdeazRok
November 10th, 2005, 8:49 pm
Oh, Brandon, you make me smile. :)

Except for a few things, which made me start, cringe, gasp inwardly, whatever:
-Trelawney & Firenze cross-breeding...eugh.
-Lupin dying...NO! What about Tonks?
-Harry dying...I really don't want him to die, but if he must, with dignity and as a hero!
-Fred and George marrying the Patil twins...I like the idea of their children being Nitwit, Oddment, Blubber, and Tweak, but I'm not sure of Fred & George even liking them.

McGonagall is still headmaster. She does not inspire the same sense of fun as Dumbledore, but she is well respected and nothing bad ever happens on her watch. She becomes the first Headmaster to officially ban Divination. She also makes it a rule that no new faculty member is allowed to wear a turban, carry a flask, have written too many books about themselves or be an appointment by the Ministry.
McGonagall also forbids any children who resemble Umbridge in any way go into Hogwarts. Also, she sees to Umbrdge as well. :clap:

Ron and Hermione Weasley are the power couple of the Wizarding world. Ron is a very accomplished Auror, and Hermione is Head of the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures. She remains a tireless crusader for elf rights. They have a son, Harry James Sirius Remus Albus Weasley, who is destined to become a headmaster at Hogwarts by virtue of his inordinate number of names.
Love the name. This made me laugh!

Lupin vs. Peter Pettigrew
The last two Marauders. Unfortunately, Peter's silver hand (no relation to Maxwell's Silver Hammer) precludes that he's gonna stab Lupin and kill him AFTER Lupin kills Fenrir. In Peter's defense however, he will do it in self-defense because a giant werewolf is bounding toward him looking really ticked.
Pfft. If not Wormtail's hand, then Coors (it is, after all, the silver bullet!:))

potmonst
November 10th, 2005, 9:41 pm
As brilliant as ever Brandon :yay:

While I've never agreed with you about Harry dying, I too believe that Lupin is gonna go :upset:

Other points:
McGonagoll is Headmistress. Her seeming lack of emotion makes her no less a woman :p
Neville and Luna are not going to get together. I still ship them following the episode at the funeral where Luna is helping Neville into a seat ( :love: ) but apparently JKR has sunk that ship.
Obviously I don't think Ginny is going to end up a single parent, the last scene should definitely include the Potter family complete with a few adorable kids!

Dancing_Blade
November 10th, 2005, 11:04 pm
Aren't we certain?
Nothing is certain right now.
And if you do know for certain, why don't you write an editorial supporting your theory and whatever you think your answer is. Then maybe we'll take you more seriously.

CrookshanksG, you are absolutely right, this is not the right place to post a new theory. It is just that I strongly believe "imagination is more important than knowledge" so I just wanted to let you think some of the beautiful, new, unexpectable things that HPfans can imagine before I post my theory. Well, it finally seems it was the clumsiest thing I could have done and also in the clumsiest way!!! (These things happen when you post things after clubbing...)

Ford's editorial is marvellous! As always. I love the underground lake, I must have read every editorial in it. It is so much enjoyable and also supports imagination very much. It is absolutely wonderful! I liked so much everything written in #28 about Harry's possible death (I did made a theory against it, but...).

Oh, something else: CrookshanksG, I never said I was certain about something! I just have a theory as all the others and will write an editorial about it, be sure-it is a matter of honour now!!! (I hope they post it, they didnt with my previous ones...)

GinnyPotter71
November 10th, 2005, 11:54 pm
Hey Pottersleuth 200: Sorry about my rant, I was just in a really bad mood and you bore the brunt of it because I actually rather liked Book 6 and was offended that you didn't. But in retrospect or hindsight or whatever, I realize that if I insulted one of your favorite books, you wouldn't be too happy with me either...so sorry about my rant. However I do think that Book 6 was important, but not as action-packed as GoF, it was more about information...
Anyway, great editorial Brandon however I do not agree with
Harry dying, I think the whole trio and Ginny will survive so that they will then all be related...
Trelawney/Firenze, wrong visuals!
and Lupin will not be killed by Wormtail, JKR debunked that on her website...
Good editorial otherwise!

mark_evens
November 11th, 2005, 3:01 am
Ok, first off, I don't want to get nasty. Conflicting opinions often lead us to investigate our oun ideas deeper, which I think is a major part of these forums. So please don't read my rebukes as personal attacks, but still, (can you see it comming or what) I've got a response to your response to my response to your response.

We always knew that Snape was a double dealing fellow who could go either way and Book Six did not clear up this mystery.This is totally true. While I am in the camp that he is probably playing his own side, I also think he will be on the good side by the end. After my first reading of book six, (of which I was the first in my town to get at midnight!!!) and a carefull rereading, I could not help but appreciate JKR's craftmanship. Here we are many moons after HBP came out, and whether or not Snape is good or bad is still being debated fiercly, with both sides having excellent points to make. I believe he will redeam himself for a number of reasons, the main one of which is that he, of all characters in the book, is the one prime for redeaming, with wormtail running a close second.The knowledge of Voldemort's past is tied up in the horcrux line, and that IS important. But take out that part, and you really could skip book 6.Yes they are tied, but I still differentiate between the two. The horcrux is the specific method of enabling Voldy to die. But DD showed him everything else for a reason. Why didn't DD just explain what horcruxes were and tell Harry that this is why voldy couldn't be killed? Because knowledge is power, and Harry now has more knowledge about his enemy than probably any one other person in the magical world. I am certain that Harry's knowledge of Voldy will be absolutly key in the end. Maybe not directly, but without it, the end would not be possible.I would not assume that Dumbledore was Harry's last protector. There are still powerful wizards and witches about. Some of the bad guys even have a life debt to pay to Harry. And many people thought Dumbledore would die before it was over anyway.No, you are right here. In fact, Harry has the whole magical community behind him. To be clear, Harry lost the protecter that could actually protect him. DD is the only one who could face Voldy and walk away. NOBODY else could do that. He has many people who would, and probaly will, die for him. But none of them holds a candle to Dumbledore. Me: Harry has finally seen the prophesy and his place in it in the way that frees him of it, in contrast to voldemort, who is bound by it. Look for that to be key in the downfall as well.You: Harry knew this already. Dumbledore tried to explain that in Book Five. And it does not change the fact that Voldemort has chosen to take the prophecy seriously and force Harry to deal with it as well, no matter how free he may feel of its influence.Correction, he was told this, but he did not understand it. That is a world of difference. My personal theory is that Voldy will meet his downfall by someone else than Harry, and that this will happen because he thinks that Harry is the only person who can do it. Like Dumbledore said, LV hold too much store by the prophesy. Harry will bring about the downfall of Voldy, but I really doubt that he will be the one to do it. Could Luke kill the Evil Emperor? No. Could Frodo destroy the ring? No. Could either thing happen without Luke or Frodo? No. Not that JKR is copying, but this is a common occurance in epics.Harry, Hermione and Ron may still be really good friends, but I wouldnt say that this book cemented their friendship. I always thought their friendship was strong. What exactly happened in this book to cement their friendship? They didnt believe Harry, they never actually helped him do anything in this book, although they tried. Yet, we always knew that if Harry needed them, they would be there. I knew that after reading Book One.I think things happened in this book that illustrated for Harry what that friendship really means. He knows it and appreciates it in a way we haven't seen from him, ever. In the beginning, when he tells them of the prophesy, he is deeply moved by their response. At the end, when they show their resolve to go with him, he again is moved. I think the transition of friendship in HBP went from being friends of "the boy who lived," to refusing to back down from helping their friend who is walking into more danger than they can imagine.

Another key point about their friendship, is that the dark side underestimates it. Harry is not some superhero that can single handedly defeat any obsticle. Harry has, in each and every episode, triumphed because of his friends. Harry will bring about the downfall of Voldy, we can all safely assume that. How? JKR has answered that, with the power of Love. What is friendship if not love.I think the horcruxes are very important, but nothing else that happened in this book really affects the plot. I'm sorry, that's just what I think. I liked all of the other books better.Like I said, read 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, & 7 when they are all done, and I think you will find yourself mistaken. As for likeing all the other ones better... even 5? I was kinda dissapointed with that one myself. I thought this one was way better.

IMHO-Mark_evens

le_professeur
November 11th, 2005, 4:36 am
Wow! Everyone's said it already, but--this was fabulous. There may be limited evidence pointing to your conclusions but every one was right on--possible. Never thought about Lily Harriet but it not only could happen but should happen. Your brain is amazing!

Oceania
November 11th, 2005, 10:02 am
Just a couple more things I'd like to add...

First this:
Correction, he was told this, but he did not understand it. That is a world of difference. My personal theory is that Voldy will meet his downfall by someone else than Harry, and that this will happen because he thinks that Harry is the only person who can do it. Like Dumbledore said, LV hold too much store by the prophesy. Harry will bring about the downfall of Voldy, but I really doubt that he will be the one to do it. Could Luke kill the Evil Emperor? No. Could Frodo destroy the ring? No. Could either thing happen without Luke or Frodo? No. Not that JKR is copying, but this is a common occurance in epics.

That was an EXCELLENT point in my humble opinion. A brilliant idea. Once in ahwile, breezing through all the editorials and the subsequent discussion forums, I come across something truly brilliant. This was one of those times. I think people, alot of people, will probably disagree with this, and by no means am I saying I think it's utterly true, but I do have to say I think it very fitting of Rowling's style. I can see Harry weakening Voldemort considerably, "sacrificing" himself (only he actually lives), and as he "goes down", someone ELSE actually kills/vanquishes Voldemort. That way, Harry defeats Voldemort through love, proving choices are what make us who we are.

The second thing I wanted to address was the sex issue.

People claim that these are children's books. And they are, to a point. Sure, Philosopher's Stone was geared towards the 10-12 year old age range. But the subsequent books grow along with their audience. Order of the Phoenix and Half-Blood Prince for example, are NOT geared towards 10-12 year olds...they are geared towards 14/15 and above. These books have grown with the Trio themselves; the Harry Potter series is now geared towards teens and young adults. That being said, no, I do not think Rowling would blatantly put sex in her books. It would be too controversial to deal with directly, just as religion is too controversial to deal with directly. BUT---I DO wholeheartedly think she will imply it. She may have implied it already, with Harry and Ginny's romantic excursions to the Lake. In the books, it may be implied very subtly...something like "they closed the door behind them and knew no more of the outside world for awhile"....see? It can be done classily and without a blatant "they did it", LOL. Because, as I said these books are not for the very little kiddies anymore. Besides all this... do have a bone to pick with our culture/society. In these books, Rowling has depicted scenes of violence, death, blackmail, posession, and has used some pretty grotesque and scary imagery. To say that sex, of all these things, is just a dirty inconceivable notion in the HP world seems ridiculous to me. I just don't understand our society's hang-ups. People watch the news every night, where gory, nasty depictions of violence are the norm, and Janet Jackson's breats pops out at the Superbowl and everyone goes crazy. The human body, sex, and love are BEAUTIFUL things. Why is violence, nastiness, cruelty, horror, fighting, etc. okay, and sex is dirty? Explain that one to me!!! (Sorry for the rant, lol)

Just my two cents. :)

Caeda
November 11th, 2005, 10:39 am
How disappointing. It wouldn't be poetic at all to have a situation like that with Harry and Ginny -- for one, it totally undermines the fact that JKR has crafted Ginny to be independent, talented and unique, an important character apart from her romantic connection to Harry. (From what I've read, it doesn't seem fitting to me that her primary function in the books will be to end up carrying Harry's love child; I mean, really, are we reading the same books here?? I won't hope that JKR will turn her into just a cheap thrill, or as the editorial puts it, a "last hurrah." I'd like to think she's a more valuable character than that.)

Fortunately, I highly doubt any such false glorification of teen sex and/or pregnancy will happen in this series. Personally, I'd be really sorry I'd wasted so much time and energy on HP if that kind of trashy material were to be a part of the big finale. I may as well just go watch reruns of Dawson's Creek. But I guess I don't have to worry -- JKR isn't a tasteless author, so it's not gonna happen.

SusanBones
November 11th, 2005, 3:18 pm
My personal theory is that Voldy will meet his downfall by someone else than Harry, and that this will happen because he thinks that Harry is the only person who can do it.
I also agree wholeheartedly with this. I think that Harry will have the passion and the drive to destroy Voldemort - he will desparately want to kill him. But in the end, he won't have to. Something will happen that spares Harry from being the one to deal the death blow. I like your theory that Voldemort's belief in the prophecy will be his downfall. JK has repeatedly, over and over, anzil size hints even, that no one should set any store by a prophecy. If the author of the book says that, then that is probably the way she plans to write it.

Anyway, I think Snape will be the one to kill Voldemort, mostly because I think he is the only one left who is powerful enough to do it. And at the end, he won't want Voldemort to be successful.

Darktimes
November 11th, 2005, 4:46 pm
Dancing Blade's answer is simple: It must be that Voldemort, when cursing Harry, became a Horcrux for Harry....Remember that the spell did rebound.

plainlypotter
November 11th, 2005, 4:54 pm
Of course it's not murder. There's a big difference between killing someone in self-defense or defense of others and murder.

However, we know these kids. We've seen them grow up and many of the readers have grown up with them. We have a lot invested in them emotionally. It's hard to think of them being able to kill someone even with the ultimate justification.

It's not so easy to kill someone; even Draco knows that now.

couldn't agree with you more here. JK has made it clear that Harry is not able (b/c of his goodness) to use an unforgivable curse and have it work and that Love is the answer to the demise of LV. I see Harry somehow getting into that room in the MoM that is filled with love ( the one locked in OoP) he will be able to survive, but LV will die and will see that love is more powerful than evil. Seems much more in line with the tone of the books.

Dancing Blade's answer is simple: It must be that Voldemort, when cursing Harry, became a Horcrux for Harry....Remember that the spell did rebound.

did I miss something- but didn't slughorn say you had to purposely say a spell to form a horcrux? No spell, no horcrux.

Henrietta_B
November 11th, 2005, 7:17 pm
That was beautiful! You rock, seriously!
If half the stuff you've theorized to happen, does indeed happen, then I will die of happiness!

Fawkesfan1
November 11th, 2005, 7:26 pm
Nice editorial, it made a lot of sense and was funny as well :).

vlasiou
November 11th, 2005, 7:46 pm
Well, I don't agree with more than half the stuff in this editorial (and I will avoid thinking if I actually agree with any of it) but boy it was fun!

MmeBergerac
November 11th, 2005, 7:59 pm
Very good editorial, but I think we all have our own theory. For example: I have sentimental reasons to say Lupin survives, I still think Sirius is going back through the veil and I wouldn't bet for Harry living or dying, because I can imagine a thrilling end with both options.

For Harry and Ginny's child, I'd forget it: I don't think JKR risking her wonderful books being censored in some puritan country. Maybe it's less thrilling, poetic or what you want, but I'd prefer being poetic in another way (there are so many!) for everyone could read it.

And one last thing: it seems you think Ginny is going to stay safely back, waiting for Harry coming victorious (or dead). Why, she's Ginny!! She's the kind of person who would take Vold by his throat saying: "You, *****! let him in peace or you'll have to meet me!", or something like that.

SusanBones
November 11th, 2005, 8:26 pm
For Harry and Ginny's child, I'd forget it: I don't think JKR risking her wonderful books being censored in some puritan country. Maybe it's less thrilling, poetic or what you want, but I'd prefer being poetic in another way (there are so many!) for everyone could read it.That's funny! You are right, whole countries would ban the books, not just random libraries.

surrypotter
November 11th, 2005, 11:39 pm
One of the problems I have thus far in the editorial (i'm not finished reading it yet) is this
But I am scared about something. If Dumbledore is dead, that means all the protection of 12 Grimmauld Place is gone. Dumbledore was Secret Keeper for the Order. 12 Grimmauld Place is no longer a secret, meaning that unless Lupin or Arthur act fast, Number 12 is now Plottable, Apparatable, FINDABLE!!! Harry, once he has found the locket (which I think will happen rather early since that is the only Horcrux that he knows how to find, even though he doesn't know it yet), will have to have a little conversation with Dumbledore, not to mention he'll need a safe base of operations to come up with his next move after he has found each Horcrux.

It was actually Mr. Black that made 12 GP unplottable, Mr. Black put all the precautions on the house. Sirius didn't change any of the precautions, DD would have just added to them. Therefor, the house is still unplottable and so on and so forth. :)

Hextris
November 11th, 2005, 11:52 pm
I thought this editorial was great. There are two things that I disagree with though.

1st - I do not believe that Harry will die. This is not because I do not want him to die but because I think it would destroy the series to have Harry die. I think it would discourage a lot of people from rereading the series over and over again. Harry dieing makes his who personal life pointless. Yes he saves the whole world but he, himself is never a truly happy for any extended period of time. Why does the reader what to re-read a story that ends with the main character ending up not being able to enjoy the fruits of his labor.

2nd- I hope that Jo does not have Harry Chucking horcrux’s over the veil. If that’s the grand solution to the horcux’s I will be seriously disappointed. Beyond that why would Dumbledore not have thought of that?

surrypotter
November 12th, 2005, 12:07 am
I'm wondering if Brandon is dating someone, or has a new girlfriend, he seems a little ... "gooey" in his anticipation of how he'd like the ending to be ... could it be the spark?

Sheikgoddess
November 12th, 2005, 1:20 am
That makes me giggle surry potter - I guess it was a little strange seeing all that romance coming from a bloke. Maybe Brandon's just a softie at heart :rotfl:

surrypotter
November 12th, 2005, 1:36 am
That makes me giggle surry potter - I guess it was a little strange seeing all that romance coming from a bloke. Maybe Brandon's just a softie at heart :rotfl:
LOL ... well ... I dunno ... it seems to me it was all written through rose colored spectacles ... tee hee

aralphman
November 12th, 2005, 3:46 am
Harry and Ginny will marry in secret. And Ginny will have twins, a boy and girl. Harry will fight Greyback for the control of the Warewolfs.

Rhonwen
November 12th, 2005, 4:07 am
Brandon's editorial is logical and analytical, but it saddens me to read the general acception and promotion even of teen sex. The moral decline, no, the world has always been that way- lack of any morals in our country and in the world is so blatant. If Harry and Ginny do have a child they should marry first, which would be highly satisfying, for me and for all God fearing readers.

But Brandon appears to be a liberal, so I'm not surprised. Not saying all liberals are immoral, but the mojority are more likely to have no concrete moral base. I know everyone who reads this will think I am a religious freak but what can I say? This is what I know. BTW, I am not a grownup, I'm only 15.

I sincerely hope Harry does not die, but it seems all too likely to happen. Hero lives happily ever after would be too cliche perhaps for J.K. Rowling. But she wouldn't want her fans to go into chronic depression and require loss counseling, would she?!?

Edit
Posted by mark evans, below

Pardon me!!!
I consider myself liberal because of my moral base. I care about the environment, I care about poor people, I care about my country (America) and what is going on in the rest of the world. I put myself in the liberal camp because I agree more with the liberal way of answering these problems than the conservative way.
Womens right to vote was a liberal movement.
The Civil right movement was a liberal movement.
The Constitution of the United States, declaring that every man was created equal, was a liberal movement.
Are these thing immoral?

mark evans and I are addressing different facets. I am talking about a CONCRETE moral base; not what one thinks is right, but concrete morals that cannot be changed by yourself or others; given by God, not just caring about poor people. Most people care about poor people, but most people believe whatever they want to beleive is right. Nowhere did I say that all actions of liberals are immoral, either. I merely said that most, not all liberals tend to not have a solid moral base. Sorry if I offend anyone. Besides, above mentioned movements, etc., were Democrat, not liberal. There is a difference. The Dem of today is radically different from the Dem of a hundred years ago. Liberalism is a school of thought; Democrats are a party. At this time in history liberals tend to be Democrats. Look at the numbers. 76% of people who attend church weekly voted for Bush.

surrypotter
November 12th, 2005, 4:45 am
Brandon's editorial is logical and analytical, but it saddens me to read the general acception and promotion even of teen sex. The moral decline, no, the world has always been that way- lack of any morals in our country and in the world is so blatant. If Harry and Ginny do have a child they should marry first, which would be highly satisfying, for me and for all God fearing readers.

But Brandon appears to be a liberal, so I'm not surprised. Not saying all liberals are immoral, but the mojority are more likely to have no concrete moral base. I know everyone who reads this will think I am a religious freak but what can I say? This is what I know. BTW, I am not a grownup, I'm only 15.

I sincerely hope Harry does not die, but it seems all too likely to happen. Hero lives happily ever after would be too cliche perhaps for J.K. Rowling. But she wouldn't want her fans to go into chronic depression and require loss counseling, would she?!?
I agree, I really don't think Harry will be dying, it's been my position that if JKR still uses "Scar", that it will be Harry and Ginny telling their children of the story.

Lerissa
November 12th, 2005, 7:49 am
love it...cept for a few things:

Luna n Neville(sp?) would make a cute couple if JK hadn't assured us that it will NEVER happen. Apperantly Luna's wild ways are too overbearing for Nevilles taste... :shrug: its a shame though.

Ginny n a baby???? :nc: sooooo cliche, sorry but it seems so Terminator-like...not really n effective ending to leave the reader with a sense of enlightment (as she usually does) Besides it would cause JK to get billions of fanmails for years and years cuz ppl will be requesting for her to give them a 'Harry the next generation' type of thing. It would be far more dramatic if the wizarding community keeps Harry alive by dedicating Brits' national Quidditch team to him....baby idea is just meh. Got a new gf or something??? :p

One thing ur forgetting is Harry's REAL link to Ddore isn't the portrait at Hogwarts...its the uh famous barman at Hogshead. JK said we'll learn more about Ddores past so i'm guessing we're FINALLY gonna see him! Woohoo!!!!

I don't think Remus is gonna go crazy n attack Peter...actually i think Peter will be ordered to go after him. Sometime in the fight Remus will show mercy...n Peter will use that as his chance to kill him. This could really work out, cuz as scumy as Peter is, he is still gonna be a bit spooked after killing the last of his best buds in such a cruel shamful way.....i think it'll be after this that he sacrefices himself for Harry. Besides remember, crazy raging warewolf might be true for the first half of the night, but Remus has class :eyebrows: and i believe JK will let him die in style.

Oh n Fred wants Angelina...they were pretty cute at the Yule ball. It would be sweet if Parvati's sis falls for Neville...he isn't the best looking boy, but he is really brave, n she is really pretty n smart...cool combo. Luna will probably follow Harry through the veil....I have an inkling that she likes him, but other than that she is too curious n she will be tempted by her mother's calling.

Lastly i highly doubt the locket is still at 12 Grim, there were far too many hints of forgot-his-name (damn :huh: ) stealing things from that place. I think it'll be Ddore's bro who will A. have the locket n other things stolen (since the barman doesn't really like the dude much) or B. Will lead Harry to forgot-his-name.

Oceania
November 12th, 2005, 9:20 am
You can trace all evil in society into the fact that because people have sex,people are born unwanted,from people that are unprepared to give love and the basic needs to the new human being.Maybe that's where all the "prejudiced ideas" come from.Or didn't you know that sex between people makes other people?

You can trace all evil in society to sex? Wow, I thought root of all evils was money and violence, and I'm sticking to that. Certainly, there are irresponsible people in this world who do not do the right thing concerning new life and that amazing and wonderful prviledge....but I still say that the human body, and the act of love and procreation is beautiful thing. And I do not advocate teen sex or pregnacy at all...but nevertheless, it is a reality. And alot of people live through it and go on to do well.

And no, I didn't forget that love/sex between two people makes another person. I am a married 27 year old mother of two.

But this is not the tangent I wanted to go off on, or the point I was trying to make. I just consider it very silly to think that the human body, sex, love and procreation are evil. I myself, am more inclined to think violence, money, and cruelty are evil.

Just an opinion, at any rate. I won't go any further into it, because I don't believe the books are about the "shipping" so to speak. They are about love, and good vs. evil, and I'm WAY more interested in finding out where Snape's true loyalties lie, and how Harry will defeat Voldemort, than I am about non-existent, theoretical teenge sex lives.

Hextris
November 12th, 2005, 4:53 pm
OK, Ginny and Harry will not have SEX in the book before valdamort dies. Could you image the controversy she would start if she did. I can image her talking about characters having kids some time in the future. I really don't think JKR would want to write something like that and I dont think that the publishers would let her go that route. Look at who a lare portion of her audience is.

mark_evens
November 13th, 2005, 12:53 am
But Brandon appears to be a liberal, so I'm not surprised. Not saying all liberals are immoral, but the mojority are more likely to have no concrete moral base. I know everyone who reads this will think I am a religious freak but what can I say? This is what I know. BTW, I am not a grownup, I'm only 15.Pardon me!!!
I consider myself liberal because of my moral base. I care about the environment, I care about poor people, I care about my country (America) and what is going on in the rest of the world. I put myself in the liberal camp because I agree more with the liberal way of answering these problems than the conservative way.
Womens right to vote was a liberal movement.
The Civil right movement was a liberal movement.
The Constitution of the United States, declaring that every man was created equal, was a liberal movement.
Are these thing immoral?

But I agree with whoever it was who said previouly about not bringing up religion and politics at family gatherings. Although I chuckled at the jab, I agree that this isnt' the proper forum for it. Sorry Brandon.

SabrinaPotter
November 13th, 2005, 2:22 am
I think that, alas, Harry will die. But one thing not too many people have touched on is why Dumbledore put so much emphasis on love being the "power the dark lord knows not". I think that in the past seven years, Harry has known several kinds of love, such as parent/child with Sirius and Dumbledore, and even the Weasly parents to a lesser extent. Certainly friendship, and I think he feels pretty deeply for Ginny. I think Harry will return to Godric's Hollow, and somehow "see" Lily and James' last moments, therefore learning the charm Lily used to sacrifice herself to save Harry. When all the horcruxes are destroyed and the final showdown happens, I could totally see Voldemort trying to avada kedavra one of Harrys' loved ones, Hermione, Ron, Hagrid, Ginny, and Harry, knowing he must save his friend, he sacrifices himself and this time Voldemort is finished as well. Full Circle..... I LOVED Brandon's epilogue on the Harry/Ginny baby, he deserves to leave a legacy!!!

Brunetta
November 13th, 2005, 11:47 am
Love the Epilogue maz xx

plainlypotter
November 13th, 2005, 5:35 pm
Mark_evans and Oceania

your posts 71 & 73 were right on target - couldn't have said it better - Mark - for someone so young , you are wise beyond your stated years - Oceania since your age is not listed please accept the compliment as well from an old phogey

Number1Phan
November 13th, 2005, 9:29 pm
Ahhh! If Harry died and Ginny was left alone to raise their child, I think I would cry. But I loved the rest of your epilogue ideas.

Hermione34710
November 14th, 2005, 2:45 am
That was the greatest thing I have ever read...love the epilogue!

misskneazle
November 14th, 2005, 5:17 pm
Look what good it did to poor Merope;and we got Voldy. Or if you want to be more pragmatic ,go to Brazil(Moto there is sex is beautiful) and see what irresponsible sex did and do ,by looking at the abandoned children at every corner.Or go to India where children are having children for generations .Or go to USA and see black man growing without fathers ,and making babies with the same abandonment. Or look at Abraham having sex with the slave,and David and the beautyfull woman.Talk about problems.I do think sex is beautiful ,by the way. This post reeks of racism(racism after all sometimes equates to not knowing any better) and stereotypes, I am surprised no one has replied to this. I am sometimes surprised by the mentality of people who read Harry Potter as JKR seems to be against things such as bigotry, racism, and stereotypes. It's hard to believe that message could fall on deaf ears but...wow, I am disgusted.

mark_evens
November 14th, 2005, 9:35 pm
Mark_evans and Oceania

your posts 71 & 73 were right on target - couldn't have said it better - Mark - for someone so young , you are wise beyond your stated years - Oceania since your age is not listed please accept the compliment as well from an old phogey
:blush:
ah, shucks. I just like to read a lot. This kind of thing isn't really uncommon.

mark_evens
November 14th, 2005, 10:04 pm
Originally Posted by cal1
Look what good it did to poor Merope;and we got Voldy. Or if you want to be more pragmatic ,go to Brazil(Moto there is sex is beautiful) and see what irresponsible sex did and do ,by looking at the abandoned children at every corner.Or go to India where children are having children for generations .Or go to USA and see black man growing without fathers ,and making babies with the same abandonment. Or look at Abraham having sex with the slave,and David and the beautyfull woman.Talk about problems.I do think sex is beautiful ,by the way.This post reeks of racism(racism after all sometimes equates to not knowing any better) and stereotypes, I am surprised no one has replied to this. I am sometimes surprised by the mentality of people who read Harry Potter as JKR seems to be against things such as bigotry, racism, and stereotypes. It's hard to believe that message could fall on deaf ears but...wow, I am disgusted.I have to agree with Miss Kneazle here. Cal1 makes some very insulting generalities, but at the same time does have a point about irresponsible sex. Cal1 may not have stated his/her point very well, but we should not overlook the point entirely.

MissWolff
November 15th, 2005, 1:16 am
Deleted just because.

surrypotter
November 15th, 2005, 3:53 am
oY ...What a subject ... it's getting a littel personal isn't it?

misskneazle
November 15th, 2005, 3:41 pm
I am minority.And there's nothing I said that is not true.Irresponsable sex causes many problems,makes inocent victims,usualy children. If you don't belive me take some time to volunter in a shelter.
I'm not trying to make this a debate or make anything personal, if you choose to believe that what you wrote wont be considered offensive to many, then that is up to you. A lot of what you said is based on stereotypes. I was going to go into detail about this, but this is really not the place for it, so I wont say anything else. The last thing I want to do is go back and forth about something that is much more serious then the books are, the board is supposed to be fun....

So sorry to anyone who felt things were getting out of hand. Carry on!

CSantos
November 17th, 2005, 10:48 pm
this is an old one

But Draco looks like Mr Malfoy, not like Snape, doesn't he?

Well I dont know exactly what harry think they look like, but maybe some carateristics came from his mother not is father (blond hair for example) but as he is a boy, people usually think about his male family.

Besides, it's oftem said that this kind of conclusions are a good way to hide big stuff

(remember, this is only my opinion, with no bases..and very imagination)

Back to discussion:

I always think that Harry would die (not every, but since I've realised that this was not just a kid's story, but a big journee - i know, i've misspelled) I think it makes perfect sense but, you know, maybe is just my wish...

and ginny pregnant..well, I can't imagine that, but I need to reread first (i've only read it once, and I was shocked with ginny-harry thing)

mark_evens
November 18th, 2005, 1:17 am
Back to discussion:

I always think that Harry would die (not every, but since I've realised that this was not just a kid's story, but a big journee - i know, i've misspelled) I think it makes perfect sense but, you know, maybe is just my wish...Why do you think Harry will die? You know... just for discusion.

CSantos
November 18th, 2005, 10:16 pm
Why do you think Harry will die? You know... just for discusion.

Of course that I don't wish that he die, but I think it was the best thing that could happen (speaking about the conclusion of a book, in abstract), because if he lives, I don't know, would be weird " And They Lived Happily Ever After".
The best would be a definitive end, and whats more definitive than death? Even for wizards! Because I don't doubt that Harry wouldn't look back and will not become a ghost or become like Voldemort.

mark_evens
November 18th, 2005, 11:04 pm
Of course that I don't wish that he die, but I think it was the best thing that could happen (speaking about the conclusion of a book, in abstract), because if he lives, I don't know, would be weird " And They Lived Happily Ever After".
The best would be a definitive end, and whats more definitive than death? Even for wizards! Because I don't doubt that Harry wouldn't look back and will not become a ghost or become like Voldemort.I can see your point there. But wouldn't becoming an Auror be a pretty conclusive ending?

I'm not quite sure what you meant about that part of "become a ghost or become like Voldemort." Do you mean that the "connection" between him and Voldy would take over, or just that being a powerful wizard that he would turn evil, or what?

I've seen in interviews that JKR said that the last chapter of the last book is already written, as a sort of goal. Furthermore, that the last word is "scar." My interpretation is that it of course refers to Harry's scar, and that when Voldy falls, that the scar will dissapear. That is what really marks him as "the boy who lives" and all that which he hates so much. If it were gone, he could just be like everyone else for a change, which is what he's always wanted. That is my hope for what happens anyway.

M_E

GinnysHex
November 18th, 2005, 11:41 pm
Wonderful as always Brandon. Funny and sad at the same time. I hope that you are wrong in the ending for Ginny. I think that it would be the sadest fate ever for Ginny to end up that way. She is after all my favourite character (my girl). The match up's are good as well and lets hope that some of them will happen. I agree that Snape will die.

About the Fidelius Charm. I have always had an interest in this piece of magic and I hope that we finally find out how it is done. I don't really think that it matters about Grimmuald place if it is plotable. If they do find it I don't think the Voldemort would find anything intersting. The Order has not been in residence for over a year and what ever information that they had there would have been removed. I don't think that Dumbledore would have left anything behind.

Once more very good :tu: :tu:

CSantos
November 19th, 2005, 5:37 pm
I can see your point there. But wouldn't becoming an Auror be a pretty conclusive ending?

I'm not quite sure what you meant about that part of "become a ghost or become like Voldemort." Do you mean that the "connection" between him and Voldy would take over, or just that being a powerful wizard that he would turn evil, or what?

I've seen in interviews that JKR said that the last chapter of the last book is already written, as a sort of goal. Furthermore, that the last word is "scar." My interpretation is that it of course refers to Harry's scar, and that when Voldy falls, that the scar will dissapear. That is what really marks him as "the boy who lives" and all that which he hates so much. If it were gone, he could just be like everyone else for a change, which is what he's always wanted. That is my hope for what happens anyway.

M_E

Being a Auror, or end up with ginny with a bunch of kinds would be great, but wouldn't be a end end, will be a begining of something else, maybe more trivial than his life until that time, and I can't think in a old Harry, telling stories to his greatsons, about how his life was exciting when he was young, about how he became a great auror, how his life started to be unexcited, boring and so...
Is the same with all the great idols: death is a way of being immortal!

Edit: what i'm talking about Voldemort it was that Horcruxes thing

VivianU
November 21st, 2005, 2:30 am
Hey Brandon, you're going overboard with this revenge business. It's Harry Potter, not Easyrider magazine. (Ever read Easyrider fiction? Every story is about revenge. Good Lord, it's awful.)

The best would be a definitive end, and whats more definitive than death? Even for wizards! Because I don't doubt that Harry wouldn't look back and will not become a ghost or become like Voldemort.
I hate it when people say Harry's going to die. In book 7, Harry will be all of 18! Is it right that an 18-year-old should die? Especially one who's had such a deprived life? No way! And as Brandon so rightly points out, since JKR is very unlikely to sneak in any teen sex, even off-camera, he'd die a virgin. Even worse. No, I refuse to believe JKR would be so cruel and heartless. So there :p

Lupin won't be killed by Peter's silver hand. JKR said no death by poking.
When did JKR say that? I just did a search on Quick Quotes Quill with the keywords "death poking" and nothing relevant came up. Please tell, I really want to read that interview!

Kimiko_Kama
November 21st, 2005, 2:47 pm
Hey Brandon, you're going overboard with this revenge business. It's Harry Potter, not Easyrider magazine. (Ever read Easyrider fiction? Every story is about revenge. Good Lord, it's awful.)

I hate it when people say Harry's going to die. In book 7, Harry will be all of 18! Is it right that an 18-year-old should die? Especially one who's had such a deprived life? No way! And as Brandon so rightly points out, since JKR is very unlikely to sneak in any teen sex, even off-camera, he'd die a virgin. Even worse. No, I refuse to believe JKR would be so cruel and heartless. So there :p

When did JKR say that? I just did a search on Quick Quotes Quill with the keywords "death poking" and nothing relevant came up. Please tell, I really want to read that interview!
I'm all teary eyed....and need to get to class, BUT I loved it and I think some of the parts are very sound good ideas.

mark_evens
November 21st, 2005, 9:36 pm
Being a Auror, or end up with ginny with a bunch of kinds would be great, but wouldn't be a end end, will be a begining of something else, ...This is good. I still think Harry will live, but I'm not posative.

This is a good point that killing Harry would kind of return the wizarding world to pre a Voldy state. Harry is there to return the balance, but once Voldy is gone, the wizarding world no longer needs Harry, so Harry can die. I still think that would be very hard on many readers. Harry's life has been one of almost conastant sacrifice. He has always had difficulty, from the Dursleys to Hogwarts, he has never really had a moment of peace and quiet. Hogwarts is much nicer than the Dursleys, but each year, he's been through tough times. It would be nice to see our hero given a lifetime of peace for the payment he's made.

But then again, that might be the indication that Harry will die. How can he handle a lifetime of peace and happyness? His life had been full of pain, he is the sacrificial lamb. He undergoes Hell so that nobody else has to. When Voldy is gone, just at the moment where Harry may have a better life, it ends. A young life lost. A life unfairly full of pain, never a moment of peace, ended before he can know what life really had to offer. But he dies so that all of us can know what life has to offer.

Damn, I'm rambling.

MagicKat
November 22nd, 2005, 12:43 am
Honestly, I don't entirely buy that Harry is going to die. I think it's a very strong possibility, but I almost think his death would be too easy. Real life isn't as cut and dry as that. Dying for the cause is more of a fantasy, and yes, while the entire series is steeped very much in fantasy, the lessons that Jo Rowling ultimately tries to put forth in the stories are based in reality. Take away the magic, and these kids act like kids. They react to their surroundings as teenagers would. And in real war, deaths don't usually make sense. I could see Hermione, Ron or Neville getting killed before Harry, I think that would make more sense. Even Luna or Ginny or Tonks, because those deaths would hit a little closer to home. These people aren't "destined" for anything, they've been sucked into this ordeal by circumstance as much as by choice, and they know they are putting their lives on the line for it. They're more like the "common man", and it's the common man who suffers from war in the end.

As for Harry....that'd be easy, wouldn't it? He'd die nobly, like his father and Sirius and Dumbledore before him. He wouldn't have to deal with the fact that he killed a man at 17, or that the losses in his life will have magnified intensely with this one encounter. More importantly, he wouldn't have to learn how to deal with the fact that his friends gave up their lives and it wasn't his fault. That as one man he couldn't possibly save them all, and there was nothing he could do. He'd never really have to grow up.

I mean, when you get right down to it, that's the point isn't it? The entire Harry Potter series has been about Harry growing up during hard times, and how he deals with that. It'd be anti-climactic for him to just die, where's the final resolution? The part where he has to go on, to learn to be Just Harry, not The Famous Harry Potter? That to me would be more of a twist than any death.

Firebolt82
November 22nd, 2005, 1:49 am
Well! I hope the entire editorial was a satire to the last great Harry Potter book. Here is what I believe will outcome. I believe the books were not written to become a heroic tragedy but a heroic epic against hate. I also believe that brendon has forgot one key aspect; that lily evens has given her life to save her son and therefore gave him two lives in result of her life. Not that he has two lives, but what I mean by that statement is that if someone saves your life, and you die within 17 years, that doesnt' seem like much of a life does it? Not much worth fighting for if the person you save dies in a short life, right?

I believe that JKRowling will have intended harry to have a full long life in honor of his mothers sacrifice and love. It seems a waste if harry does die. I mean look at all the great hero's that have to face certain death against supreme evil and live because of love: skywalker, LOTR, well heck my memory fails me but there are others I can state my case with but yeah.

The other big thing is, Harry has several friends who more than love him, owe him life debts, and who will do anything possible to make sure he survives. He has the most powerfully magic substance surging through his veins and pulsating to his friends, thats love, my friends. He will have to fight voldy by himself but not the deatheaters, and when it seems its the darkest moment you can bet that the greatest possible thing will happen to give Harry the edge. I believe Harry will be saved by phonex song and finish voldy with one of the simplest spells we have seen. I would bet that Harry is close to beaten, hears Fawkes sing the great Phonex song, get a huge surge of love, bravery, and hope, that results in Harry using something as simple as the full body bind and simply capture voldy, not kill him, but definitley destroy his powers and capture him. I believe he will be knocked out and drained of all energy at the end and harry will break voldy's wond and tie him up like a muggle. The all powerful wizard caught by a simple spell and stopped like a muggle, it has a ring to it you think? Harry doesnt' have to kill, the prophecy does not say Harry Will KILL does it. Harry, will sure enough, live through the greatest battle ever.

The other battles: revenge is the theme for all of them, but maybe not the style of a one on one. It is impossible to see where the last great battle will take place, but there are a few highly possible places. Hogwarts, this battle I think will include so many people the death eaters will be so overwhelmed they panic as evil always does and fail. I see a similar battle from the last battle of the sixth book. Where the order is fighting with some students against death eaters and then bam tons of students flood in the halls and fields and aim all sorts of hexs, jinxes, and curses with all there might to the death eaters. the students will not die because they have numbers but neither will the death eaters. The greatest thing to happen will be that all the death eaters to enter the grounds of Hogwarts will be so messed up they could not leave, so they will get caught, get thrown into Azkaban to grow old and feel the pains of old age that DDB mention to the few deatheaters that where on that tower while he was talking to Draco. The students will unite together in all the houses as one body and as a huge magic and they will destroy the deatheaters. The older adults will duke it out as well but they may be outside, I'm thinking of Lupin and Bill vs Greyback, Neville and McGongall vs Bellatrix and Ron and Hermine vs Lucious Malfoy and Draco and Grawp and Hagrid vs the creatures, the house elves will fight, buckbeak will fight, Ferize will fight and he will summon more helpful centurars to aid as well, the ghosts will fight and it will be THE GREATEST BATTLE EVER! (I hope like 5 chapters of epic battle and heroics)

or i'm way off. but I got to see doby hit lucious Malfoy again and Gwarp destroy some dark wizards.

miki03
November 22nd, 2005, 3:55 am
Has no one noticed that Ginny is only 15 at this point? Say what you want about irresponsible sex or the beauty of sex, but the fact would remain that she would be a 16 year-old single mother. I find that as disturbing as anything. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't exactly find that beautiful. I find it sad - sad in a myriad of ways. Why would we want to wish that on Ginny, much less a baby?

VivianU
November 22nd, 2005, 4:35 pm
Honestly, I don't entirely buy that Harry is going to die. I think it's a very strong possibility, but I almost think his death would be too easy. Real life isn't as cut and dry as that. Dying for the cause is more of a fantasy, and yes, while the entire series is steeped very much in fantasy, the lessons that Jo Rowling ultimately tries to put forth in the stories are based in reality. Take away the magic, and these kids act like kids. They react to their surroundings as teenagers would. And in real war, deaths don't usually make sense. I could see Hermione, Ron or Neville getting killed before Harry, I think that would make more sense. Even Luna or Ginny or Tonks, because those deaths would hit a little closer to home. These people aren't "destined" for anything, they've been sucked into this ordeal by circumstance as much as by choice, and they know they are putting their lives on the line for it. They're more like the "common man", and it's the common man who suffers from war in the end.

As for Harry....that'd be easy, wouldn't it? He'd die nobly, like his father and Sirius and Dumbledore before him. He wouldn't have to deal with the fact that he killed a man at 17, or that the losses in his life will have magnified intensely with this one encounter. More importantly, he wouldn't have to learn how to deal with the fact that his friends gave up their lives and it wasn't his fault. That as one man he couldn't possibly save them all, and there was nothing he could do. He'd never really have to grow up.

I mean, when you get right down to it, that's the point isn't it? The entire Harry Potter series has been about Harry growing up during hard times, and how he deals with that. It'd be anti-climactic for him to just die, where's the final resolution? The part where he has to go on, to learn to be Just Harry, not The Famous Harry Potter? That to me would be more of a twist than any death.

Hear, hear! Very well put.

MagicKat
November 23rd, 2005, 12:51 am
Thanks. :blush: I've spent waaaaay too much of my free time dissecting Harry Potter. I even wrote a paper on the creation of one's own destiny, comparing HP and Oedipus Rex. :elaugh: It didn't come out too bad, actually. :blush:

Oh, I had a comment about the Ginny/Harry baby theory. I don't remember who said it, but I'm of the same mind with the person who suggested that Harry could've already lost his virginity. I don't know if that's likely, but you never know. I wouldn't be surprised if the topic of sex was brought up in the next book. (They are all legal now in the wizarding world). But I think she'd a bit more discreet about it than what Brandon is suggesting. That'd be extremely tacky, and I for one would be really disappointed in her. I'm not even talking about the morality of taking that route. (If I were, I'd have to be on the side of "To each his own". And also, like I said before, JK Rowling likes to write these stories based on reality. And the reality is that some young adults express their emotions through sex, especially at the characters' ages and under the extreme pressures that they're under. Whether or not you believe that's right, that's reality. But anyway, I digress.) I just think that having Harry and Ginny have this sweet love scene and have Ginny end up getting pregnant on the first, erm, shot, is....predictable. And cheesy. And seriously, does Brandon have a new girlfriend? Because Lord that's a very sappy ending. :p

plainlypotter
November 23rd, 2005, 3:04 am
This is good. I still think Harry will live, but I'm not posative.

This is a good point that killing Harry would kind of return the wizarding world to pre a Voldy state. Harry is there to return the balance, but once Voldy is gone, the wizarding world no longer needs Harry, so Harry can die. I still think that would be very hard on many readers. Harry's life has been one of almost conastant sacrifice. He has always had difficulty, from the Dursleys to Hogwarts, he has never really had a moment of peace and quiet. Hogwarts is much nicer than the Dursleys, but each year, he's been through tough times. It would be nice to see our hero given a lifetime of peace for the payment he's made.

But then again, that might be the indication that Harry will die. How can he handle a lifetime of peace and happyness? His life had been full of pain, he is the sacrificial lamb. He undergoes Hell so that nobody else has to. When Voldy is gone, just at the moment where Harry may have a better life, it ends. A young life lost. A life unfairly full of pain, never a moment of peace, ended before he can know what life really had to offer. But he dies so that all of us can know what life has to offer.

Damn, I'm rambling.

but don't you think this will send the wrong message to young readers. a few years ago a movie called pay it forward was released and it had this sort of ending, I personally had a lot of trouble with the ending, and the message it sent to viewers. Although I don't think we need to be rewarded for all that we do for others , I do think helping others need not be paid with your own life

Mickella
November 23rd, 2005, 3:25 am
but don't you think this will send the wrong message to young readers. a few years ago a movie called pay it forward was released and it had this sort of ending, I personally had a lot of trouble with the ending, and the message it sent to viewers. Although I don't think we need to be rewarded for all that we do for others , I do think helping others need not be paid with your own life
Heheheheeee....Plainy I found you again. I agree, I saw that movie, I loved it except the ending. I thought that the concept was exceptional, however him dying kind of negated the whole thing, it really left a sour taste in your mouth.

I do not think that Harry will die. His life has not been a life. That is why the prophecy says that one cannot live while the other survives, I believe that when it is all over that Harry will finally be able to live. He will take his first free breath when it is over. If he and Ginny have a baby boy, I think that his name will be Albus Sirius, or Sirius Albus, and if they have a girl her name will be Lily. :) See....I really do think that he will live, and have a real life when it is finally over with. He has always had good friends, and an adopted family in the Weasley's, and I think that he will be able to put it all behind him.

MissGDarcy
November 23rd, 2005, 5:08 am
Excellent ideas - for which I agree on some.

I agree that Dumbledore's dying was purposeful on his part and I want to add that I think his death is linked to his final spell - that evokes protection over Hogwarts upon his death, and why I think Harry needs to return to Hogwarts for Yr 7. I thought it interesting that Dumbledore's tomb be placed on the school grounds, we have no knowledge of other Headmaster's being buried on campus. I think there's something important about the tomb being at Hogwarts.

As far as the battles – while they provide action and heroics, the big theme of the Potter series is about CHOICES. What you decide when the time comes. Harry has overcome vengeance once: he let Pettigrew go. Now, will he let Snape go? What will Draco choose when it’s his turn?

As far as the search for the Horcruxes we need to re-visit the Room of Requirement – when it morphs as a storage place for secret objects. Harry needs to start his search in there.

As far as the protection over Grimmauld Place, what if Dumbledore made Snape the Secret Keeper prior to his death? Which is why I agree with Brandon about his death being orchestrated between the both of them. Though how JKR is going to absolve Snape’s situation with the vow to protect Draco and whatever he had going with Dumbledore will be interesting.

As far as Harry and Ginny having a child while in their teens, you don't give credit to Mrs. Weasley and her being one of the most thoughtful, loving, firm wand-hand and engaged parents in literature! While she dotes on Harry, a good parent is a parent first and foremost.

Mickella
November 23rd, 2005, 6:16 am
As far as the battles – while they provide action and heroics, the big theme of the Potter series is about CHOICES. What you decide when the time comes. Harry has overcome vengeance once: he let Pettigrew go. Now, will he let Snape go? What will Draco choose when it’s his turn?
I think that there is huge difference between Wormtail and Snape to Harry. First off, he did not know Wormtail, until he was 13 years old. Yes, he hates him for what he did, he betrayed Harry's parents to Voldemort. Snape, not only was the reason that Voldemort wanted to kill Harry, but caused him to kill both of his parents. He has taunted and tormented Harry from the very first moment that they met. Harry believes him to be partly to blame in Sirius's death. He watched him murder Dumbledore right in front of his eyes. Now between Wormtail and Snape, who do you think that he would be less likely to allow to live? JKR says that it is "as personal, if not more personal between Harry/Snape than between Harry/Voldemort."

As far as the search for the Horcruxes we need to re-visit the Room of Requirement – when it morphs as a storage place for secret objects. Harry needs to start his search in there.
If there was a Horcruxe in Hogwarts, wouldn't Dumbledore who was searching for them know? I cannot believe that he would overlook Hogwarts knowing how Tom thought of it as home. Dumbledore would have searched Hogwarts before he started anywhere else, I would think. He was easily able to find the Horcruxe that was hidden at the old Marvelo shack. He was also able to locate the one in the cave. He told Harry that magic always left a trace. He knew Tom's style of magic.
"How did you know that was there?" Harry asked in astonishment.
"Magic always leaves traces," said Dumbledore, as the boat hit the bank with a gentle bump, "sometimes very distinctive traces. I taught Tom Riddle. I know his style."

As far as the protection over Grimmauld Place, what if Dumbledore made Snape the Secret Keeper prior to his death? Which is why I agree with Brandon about his death being orchestrated between the both of them. Though how JKR is going to absolve Snape’s situation with the vow to protect Draco and whatever he had going with Dumbledore will be interesting.
Dumbledore cared about Harry, and he knew how Harry felt about Snape. I do not think that Dumbledore would ever make Snape the secret keeper for a house that belonged to Harry. The last time I knew it still belonged to Harry, because Kreacher comes with the house and he was still Harry's house elf, had to take his orders. I just do not see Dumbledore doing that. I do not believe that there was anything going on between Snape and Dumbledore. I do not believe that there was a plan. Dumbledore was all about choices. Snape chose to take that vow, with a Death Eater. I do not believe that Dumbledore chose to die. This is not about Draco, because Dumbledore could have hidden Draco, and told him so. That was Dumbledore's plan, not to die, but to hide Draco from Voldemort.

As far as Harry and Ginny having a child while in their teens, you don't give credit to Mrs. Weasley and her being one of the most thoughtful, loving, firm wand-hand and engaged parents in literature! While she dotes on Harry, a good parent is a parent first and foremost.
I agree :) that Harry and Ginny will not have a baby while still in their mid teens. Harry is only 16, and Ginny is only 15. These books may be about reality, however they are still children's books, and young children read them, and I doubt that JKR would promote that kind of irresponsibility in her books, she is reading them to her oldest daughter now, and I am sure the rest of her children eventually. It may be reality, however, Harry is the hero. Children look up to him, why would she say it is ok if your life is stressful to go ahead and have unprotected sex when you are a teenager?

cyclonedan
November 23rd, 2005, 7:47 pm
It would be poetic, though rather controversial, if Ginny and Harry had a child. But it's not going to happen. Think about it--the books have had enough violence, mystery, adventure, and romance to pretty well satisfy these crowds. We're not going to see a graphic description of battle, and no one's going to have a child at that age. There's simply no demand for this, and even if it's the story inside of Jo, she's not dumb enough to alienate so much of her fan base like that.

ESCUDERO
November 23rd, 2005, 11:11 pm
if she called it harry potter and the last greatest adventure that would be awesome what a great title i love it

plainlypotter
November 25th, 2005, 8:57 am
[QUOTE=Mickella]I think that there is huge difference between Wormtail and Snape to Harry. First off, he did not know Wormtail, until he was 13 years old. Yes, he hates him for what he did, he betrayed Harry's parents to Voldemort. Snape, not only was the reason that Voldemort wanted to kill Harry, but caused him to kill both of his parents. He has taunted and tormented Harry from the very first moment that they met. Harry believes him to be partly to blame in Sirius's death. He watched him murder Dumbledore right in front of his eyes. Now between Wormtail and Snape, who do you think that he would be less likely to allow to live? JKR says that it is "as personal, if not more personal between Harry/Snape than between Harry/Voldemort."

I think you are right on target here. For harry to "forgive" snape would be considerably harder than it was for him to forgive wormtail. But I think given an alternative Harry will not kill snape - perhaps exile him to azahbn or somewhere equally miserable, but I fon't see harry really killing anyone. DD says something to the effect that there are more effective ways to destroy a person than death, it will be up to harry to find snape's achilles' heal as well as LV's

If there was a Horcruxe in Hogwarts, wouldn't Dumbledore who was searching for them know? I cannot believe that he would overlook Hogwarts knowing how Tom thought of it as home. Dumbledore would have searched Hogwarts before he started anywhere else, I would think. He was easily able to find the Horcruxe that was hidden at the old Marvelo shack. He was also able to locate the one in the cave. He told Harry that magic always left a trace. He knew Tom's style of magic.
"How did you know that was there?" Harry asked in astonishment.
"Magic always leaves traces," said Dumbledore, as the boat hit the bank with a gentle bump, "sometimes very distinctive traces. I taught Tom Riddle. I know his style."

It is possible that DD like many on these threads have felt that the diary/chamber was the hiding place of the horcrux - or as Hermione tells us when harry is trying to get into the RoR - you have to know what the person wanted to do in order to get in . I suspect that harry will remember something that was in the RoR when he hid the potions book that he will determine to be a horcrux - my guess is the bloody axe - it just sent my senses itching when I read the description of the room.

[QUOTE]Dumbledore cared about Harry, and he knew how Harry felt about Snape. I do not think that Dumbledore would ever make Snape the secret keeper for a house that belonged to Harry. The last time I knew it still belonged to Harry, because Kreacher comes with the house and he was still Harry's house elf, had to take his orders. I just do not see Dumbledore doing that. I do not believe that there was anything going on between Snape and Dumbledore. I do not believe that there was a plan. Dumbledore was all about choices. Snape chose to take that vow, with a Death Eater. I do not believe that Dumbledore chose to die. This is not about Draco, because Dumbledore could have hidden Draco, and told him so. That was Dumbledore's plan, not to die, but to hide Draco from Voldemort.

Unless I have misunderstood, I think the owner of the house chooses the secret keeper - hense DD was probably the secret keeper as there is no indication that Harry changed keepers when he inherited the house. Now who is secret keeper - well one thing for sure Harry would not have chosen snape.

I agree :) that Harry and Ginny will not have a baby while still in their mid teens. Harry is only 16, and Ginny is only 15. These books may be about reality, however they are still children's books, and young children read them, and I doubt that JKR would promote that kind of irresponsibility in her books, she is reading them to her oldest daughter now, and I am sure the rest of her children eventually. It may be reality, however, Harry is the hero. Children look up to him, why would she say it is ok if your life is stressful to go ahead and have unprotected sex when you are a teenager?

I too could not agree more with this statement. Although my children are beyond the age of ginny and harry, I would have problems suggesting a book that condoned this behavior

Lupin4Ever
November 25th, 2005, 3:37 pm
It is possible that DD like many on these threads have felt that the diary/chamber was the hiding place of the horcrux - or as Hermione tells us when harry is trying to get into the RoR - you have to know what the person wanted to do in order to get in . I suspect that harry will remember something that was in the RoR when he hid the potions book that he will determine to be a horcrux - my guess is the bloody axe - it just sent my senses itching when I read the description of the room.

I like the idea of one of the horcruxes being in the RoR and it's probably something that was mentioned as Harry was running through there, but the bloody axe, I immediatley thought about Nearly Headless Nick.

Mickella
November 25th, 2005, 4:37 pm
I think you are right on target here. For harry to "forgive" snape would be considerably harder than it was for him to forgive wormtail. But I think given an alternative Harry will not kill snape - perhaps exile him to azahbn or somewhere equally miserable, but I fon't see harry really killing anyone. DD says something to the effect that there are more effective ways to destroy a person than death, it will be up to harry to find snape's achilles' heal as well as LV's
I do not think that Harry will kill Snape either. I think that Snape will try to kill him and that someone else will kill Snape. My bet would be Wormtail. But for that we will have to wait and see :lol:

I still do not believe that there is a Horcrux at Hogwarts. It is possible I am sure, however, I would think that Dumbledore would have checked there. I am sure that he would have checked the Room of Requirements, considering that it would be the best place to hide something. I just do not think that Dumbledore would have overlooked Hogwarts of all places.

Unless I have misunderstood, I think the owner of the house chooses the secret keeper - hense DD was probably the secret keeper as there is no indication that Harry changed keepers when he inherited the house. Now who is secret keeper - well one thing for sure Harry would not have chosen snape.
I agree that he would have kept Dumbledore, and will have to decide on the new keeper now. I have no idea who he will choose, but I am also certain that it will not be Snape.

I too could not agree more with this statement. Although my children are beyond the age of ginny and harry, I would have problems suggesting a book that condoned this behavior
I am really happy to hear that. I would hope that all parents would feel that way, and I am sure that JKR having girls would feel that way as well. What mom wants their fifteen year old daughter to think that if her life is stressful it is ok to have unprotected sex, which not only could they end up pregnant, but they could also end up dead, there are way too many diseases out there.

plainlypotter
November 26th, 2005, 6:28 pm
I like the idea of one of the horcruxes being in the RoR and it's probably something that was mentioned as Harry was running through there, but the bloody axe, I immediatley thought about Nearly Headless Nick.

It would seem plausible and has been my thought since I first read the description of the RoR. My theory is that the Bloody Baron was wielding the axe even though Nick says he doesn't know how the Bloody Baron got bloodied and that the axe was originally in the slytherin common room (along with the rest of his armor) and that Tom placed the axe in the RoR while still at school . If the axe was in the slytherin common room , DD as a gryffindor, would not have had access, or reason to be in the room so he would not know the axe had ever been there. Considering the size of the room and the number of hidden items in it, it is conceivable that even if DD had checked the room he might have missed the axe - but then it is only a thought

ReachfulHP88
November 30th, 2005, 1:53 am
Easily the funniest thing I have ever read in an editorial. Esp. the epilouge part, with McGonagall and Ginny. You made some excellenet point about the duels and the matchups. I love your editorials!

"Time to get FERAL!"

-Petey

AvadaKedavra7
December 3rd, 2005, 5:13 am
I like the idea of Harry and Ginny having kids in the end. However I think it would be a injustice to the potter legacy if there were not a male to keep the name going. Perhaps twins, one boy, one girl. Harry Ronald Potter Jr. and Lily James Potter.
Womrtail however i think is beyond redemption and the best we can hope from him is that he would betray or leave the Dark Lord at one point. Harry although pure of heart, i think would not have it in him to forgive wormtail, wouldnt kill him though.
If potter dies, I would like something at Hogwarts to be name after him a room, wing, a new house, a award or something like that.

austinein
December 4th, 2005, 9:37 pm
I sincerly hope that Harry doesn't kill voldemort by simply pushing him behind the veil. Though this would make a lot of sense it doen't really give me the dramatic ending i want. I sort of picture it as the end of lord of the rings (movie) how Frodo and golumn fall into the pit of lava and then the entire series ends. I can just imagine millions of readers with open mouths. "C'mon!"

I don't mean anything agaisnt Brandon. I am guessing this is how the septology will end as well i just would rather there is a great wizard duel between the two. Oh well.

mark_evens
December 5th, 2005, 8:28 pm
I do not think that Harry will kill Snape either. I think that Snape will try to kill him and that someone else will kill Snape. My bet would be Wormtail. But for that we will have to wait and see :lol:My bet is that Harry doesn't kill Snape because Snape kills Voldy while Voldy is distraced with Harry thinking Harry is the only one that can do him in.I still do not believe that there is a Horcrux at Hogwarts. It is possible I am sure, however, I would think that Dumbledore would have checked there. I am sure that he would have checked the Room of Requirements, considering that it would be the best place to hide something. I just do not think that Dumbledore would have overlooked Hogwarts of all places.I think we need to forget about the RoR being a hiding place. If Voldy would choose a hiding place at Hogs for a Hor, it would be the Chamber of Secrets. He is the only one to access the place since slytherin made it. Compare that the the RoR, which obviously has been accessed numerous times by kids. The CoS was also made by the ancestor that Voldy tries to tie himself to. It's much more prestigous. Every reason I can think of would indicate that a horcrux at Hogwarts would be in the CoS rather than the RoR.

squibpott
December 7th, 2005, 7:10 pm
it is well known from various interviews that teenage pregnancy and sex will not be dealt with in the HP series. after all they're not exactly considered child-friendly topics - even in modern literature. so we can assume that even if harry isn't a virgin, that sort of romance will be completely off the page in a hp5 harry/cho kiss sort of way. besides that topic is much more a mills-and- boons/ pathetic-romance-novel issue.:grumble:

...What I want... what I NEED to see most of all is an absolution between Harry and Petunia. I have to believe that somewhere in that scrawny, severe, little woman is some modicum of recognition that Harry is family and no matter what, nothing can change that... (she)... never asked to be the caretakers of the savior of the world... but (she) did... All I want is for Petunia to say, "be careful." ...

we know that we will discover something secret about Petunia, so i predict that a good albeit quick conversation will take place in the Dursley household. Petunia does care about Harry even if she has kept that feeling locked deep down in her heart. i think she's afraid to show any love for Harry. and i have to say i agree with you on all accounts with this. it would be very heart-warming to see Petunia call out to Harry as he walks down Privet Drive "be careful". as to seeing Petunia standing over her sister's grave i can picture that so vivdly. it will be really nice.
Harry is going back to Hogwarts thats obvious. Hogwarts is as staple to the HP series as curry and rice are to the menu of an indian restraunt.
As much as i despise (deplore, abhor, and every other synonym for hate) Snape, i am looking forward to seeing his role in the final tome. personally i want to see a western wands-a-blazin style showdown.
according to an itv interview Pettigrew will not kill Lupin, or at least not using his silver hand. So if a good v. bad werewolf battle does - happen and won't that be extremely exciting - i forsee that Lupin will be tragically killed by Greyback Also I believe that Neville will get revenge in the form of Bellatrixes demise. and will be a more confident wizard and proffessor of Herbology.
Voldemort vs. Peter Pettigrew
As for your epilogue, while i love most of it since when did McGonagall become a man. she is headmistress not headmaster.
Hermione as Head of the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures. that would be a great idea for her especially since she is not to become a professor, which i thought would have been more apt than enything else.

My favourite quote:Obviously Dumbledore's not gonna pull a Jesus... star in Passion of the Dumbledore...
the true meaning of Christmas will shine through and Pettigrew will find the strength of ten Grinches plus two!They have a son, Harry James Sirius Remus Albus Weasley, who is destined to become a headmaster at Hogwarts by virtue of his inordinate number of names.
:rotfl:

staryeyes
December 7th, 2005, 10:03 pm
Does anyone else find the epilouge thing weird? I mean I know shes said shes going to write one, but it just dosen't seem to me like it would be in the same style as the rest of her writing.

witchygurl
December 7th, 2005, 11:41 pm
first of --harry will live. the series would be pointless otherwise.

but what i have been wondering is about the sex issue. the love child theory is not only impossible, its downright silly because if youve been reading the books correctly,you'd see that it dosnt fit the style or the characters.

but is harry a virgin--dissagreeing to many ppl, i say yes. it just doesnt fit harrys character somehow. jkr has written him as somewhat naive, and i doubt he'd have sex with a girl after only a month of going out. second of all, when i read the part about the tatoo, my first thought was "how would she know?" she easily might have seen his chest if they were on second base, so hearing about them being on fourth was super wierd. , but harry never seemed like the kind of guy to rush things, and he was in utter shock after he had his first kiss at 15 (really really late). so i would be surprised if they got past second, and i really doubt they got past third.

Herm_own_niny
December 9th, 2005, 2:39 am
Awww, that's so sweet! I do love the name of Ron's and Hermione's kid, though. ^.^

jenny07
December 9th, 2005, 3:12 am
first of --harry will live. the series would be pointless otherwise.

but what i have been wondering is about the sex issue. the love child theory is not only impossible, its downright silly because if youve been reading the books correctly,you'd see that it dosnt fit the style or the characters.

but is harry a virgin--dissagreeing to many ppl, i say yes. it just doesnt fit harrys character somehow. jkr has written him as somewhat naive, and i doubt he'd have sex with a girl after only a month of going out. second of all, when i read the part about the tatoo, my first thought was "how would she know?" she easily might have seen his chest if they were on second base, so hearing about them being on fourth was super wierd. , but harry never seemed like the kind of guy to rush things, and he was in utter shock after he had his first kiss at 15 (really really late). so i would be surprised if they got past second, and i really doubt they got past third.

Could it be that perhaps someone started a rumour that Harry had a tattoo on his chest, and Ginny merely went along with it as a joke? I don't see how that proves anything about their relationship. I took it as a joke. Or maybe they went swimming in the lake (I'm cold just thinking about it, but you never know) in which case she would see his chest in a very innocent way. I think speculating about how far the characters have been is disturbing. I doubt very much that JKR sits there thinking to herself "well, I know Harry and Ginny have been getting it on in the common room late at night and I won't write it, but hey, the readers can just assume."

Honestly, I doubt they would have the chance, and even so they've probably got other things on their minds than that.

Crystalysis
December 9th, 2005, 1:24 pm
Brandon,

I think you did a great job with the five-part series, bringing out a lot of good points.

An interesting note about TFPWWNBN that was not mentioned: In one of her interviews, JK Rowling was asked the question: will TFPWWNBN fall in love? Of course, she is surprised by that and replies something to the effect that yes, but the circumstances - you'll have to wait and see. So, perhaps there will be some redemption for this person. He has to live for some time in order to fall in love. We'll just have to see.

enmapotter
December 10th, 2005, 4:52 pm
Ok... this editorial was awful, I didn't like it at all, there were some funny parts but all of it was mostly nonsense stuff, I hope that you are totally wrong when the book gets published. The sex thing... who cares about that, the books are mainly for CHILDREN even if people of all ages read them, I don't see how a love scene could make its way into the plot, and it would be very disturbing for me and many others I think. I'm sorry but I think you are way way off with this one.

ETA: I really did enjoy the first 4 parts, but not the last one.

fairylight
December 14th, 2005, 2:25 am
Well, you did it again! Your editorials are by far the most interesting on Mugglenet, so, congratulations on the wonderful work.
I agree with everything you've written and am very interested in all of your theories. I especially liked the epilouge at the end! Very heartwarming :)

Dez_Holling
December 19th, 2005, 3:55 am
It's surprising to see how many are so sure that Snape is good and that Hogwarts will be open next year.

Ania21
December 29th, 2005, 3:12 am
Ginny is a single mother raising her beautiful daughter Lily Harriet Potter. Every night she rocks her baby to sleep telling her the story of how The Boy Who Lived gave his life so that she could live in a free and safe world. Lily Harriet is a beautiful little baby who looks just like her mother, except she has her father's eyes as well as a strange birthmark that looks like her father's scar.Now you have me in tears. Happy?

OK, we can assume Harry and Ginny did it during that "particularly happy hour", but... I really like the idea of their child, really, even though it makes me cry... but step aside bad example (to imply something is one thing, write it is other), that would be just too much The-da-Vinci-Code-like. And don't forget JK plans to write very Christian ending and Mary Magdalene was redhaired.

Wonderful editorial, as usually!!

hermiones_twi
January 8th, 2006, 3:38 am
wow, i LOVED this article, some parts made me smile others made my laugh, lol. i love your editorials, makes my day :p

that would be awesome if petunia said that. it would be really touching and ive been waiting for something like that to happen...and i really think it will

ginny and harry having a child? i think its possible, but its not really sending out good messages to children, eh? have sex when your 16? jo could make it happen though without actually saying sex...i would love to see harry with a family...even if he dies.

i do think that harry will go back to hogwarts and talk to dumbledore. i dont think we've seen the last of him! it would be very heartwarming to have them talk together again...harry still has soo much to learn

yes, harry and snape....and nevile and bellatrix will have a show down. i hope neville gets revenge, and i think harry will finally understand snape...if not like him.

ok...duddly...having a kid...i dont think jo will write anything of the sort

fred...george...patil twins...quadruplets....haha..funny, but not going to happen...especially the kids names...i mean come on...who wants to be called nitwit or blubber? :lol:

Trelawney and Firenze????? ***??? where do you come up with these things? :huh:

i like the ron and hermione bit :love: ...son's name is a bit long, but still love it

ginny thing is cute but i also like this ginny theory...

Ginny will do what Harry wanted to do in book 5... She will jump to the veil in a hope to save Harry, and will die. I only say that because I think it would be cruel for Ginny to have a kid to Harry (which she will) and then have to live all of her life without him, never able to move on because of the expectations the general public will put on her. So Ginny will die, leaving Uncle Ron and Aunty Hermione (with the help of Grandma Molly) to raise Harry and Ginny's kid. Black MESSY hair, brown eyes. :)

that would be the cutest thing ever!!!!! :love: i would cry soooo hard!! :upset: harry's black messy hair and ginny's lovely brown eyes...it's lily and james all over again....let's just hope another voldy doesnt appear...harry potter all over again, lol

LOVED it!! cheers! :D

crawlinscout
July 2nd, 2006, 9:09 am
What I want... what I NEED to see most of all is an absolution between Harry and Petunia. I have to believe that somewhere in that scrawny, severe, little woman is some modicum of recognition that Harry is family and no matter what, nothing can change that.

Here is my thought. Ron already said that he and Hermione will be coming with Harry every where he goes, even to the Dursleys. My thought is that Petunia will not want to talk about what is happening, but Ron or Hermione will persuede it out of her. Maybe in the same way that Harry did with Slughorn. Just a thought.

plusdracoequals
August 27th, 2006, 7:02 am
If the hole "Harry dies and Ginny has his baby' stuff goes down, it will be every series written by any female author on any given day in the entire universe.

Its so stereotypical and SUCH a stupid plot line.
It would ruin it, entirely.

SEPTUPLE
September 26th, 2006, 10:53 pm
Loved it - Part 1 through 5. Intelligent and funny.

Just one thing. Petunia - closet witch. Refuted by Jo some time ago. Found it on Leaky, Madame scoops. Happy hunting. Personally, I think Hagrid is the one who develops magic later in life. I'm aware that he has some magical knowledge but this is very limited. I also think that the giant snuffs it! ....'and it'll be very sad and we'll all cry' (naughty boy - please don't make me wet myself again)

IdrilLuthien
April 4th, 2007, 3:48 am
*Sniffles* Lily Harriet Potter. While that won't happen (too "immoral" for a children's book series) that would be so... *sobs*

PotionA
April 6th, 2007, 7:59 am
I read the latest editorial "Reprieves and Condemnations" and I couldn't help going through the entire column, and then I came across this particular bit and I was cracking up when I read the last part. The twins have quadruplets, McGonagall banning divination, Trelawney and Firenze marrying :rotfl: Excellent! I just disagree with one aspect of the editorial that is Harry sacrificing himself for a safer world for Ginny and that's because his suffering and misery, his hardwork and dedication, and his mother's sacrifice would all be in vain if he didn't have a future to live.

Makroteth
April 6th, 2007, 6:17 pm
Hilarious epilogue!

But in my book, Percy will marry Umbridge. "What a delightful woman." They deserve each other.