Little HP Questions Answered v2

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

m3lani3
July 21st, 2005, 5:50 am
Why were Nevilles parents not killed, and who cursed them and why? I know they were in the order, and they were aurors (i think if I recall correctly). And why did Voldemort want to kill Harrys parents (and him) in person? They maybe been aurors, because Voldemort only kills people himself if he especially hates them.

Jera
July 21st, 2005, 7:32 am
Why were Nevilles parents not killed, and who cursed them and why? I know they were in the order, and they were aurors (i think if I recall correctly). And why did Voldemort want to kill Harrys parents (and him) in person? They maybe been aurors, because Voldemort only kills people himself if he especially hates them.
Neville's parents were captured by Death Eaters shortly after the fall of Voldemort (when Neville was only a year old) and tortured using the Cruciatus Curse by Bellatrix Lestrange, amongst others. Neville's parents were cursed because they're Aurors and thus were a threat to the DEs and LV.

Why were Neville's parents not killed? Good quesion... the DEs probably enjoyed seeing them in pain...

Voldemort chose to kill Harry because of a prophecy (see OotP). LV may have wanted to do it in person because the prophecy directly refers to him, and/or LV didn't trust his DEs to carry it out.

Harry's parents had defied LV in the past, and so LV may have killed them for standing against him. Harry's parents were also in the way of LV getting to Harry.

LV would have especially hated them because he believed Harry could be his downfall.

BublGumPnkHar
July 21st, 2005, 1:09 pm
m3lani3 and Jeri - To add to your answer/question. The DE's were trying to get the 'whereabouts' of the "Dark Lord" out of them. GoF - chapter 30 - The Pensieve - page 602 US. So, of course, they only needed to torture them, not kill them, and since they didn't know, and wouldn't tell if they did, the Longbottoms 'lost' their minds.

Lucybird
July 21st, 2005, 2:16 pm
And Voldy wanted to kill Harry and his family in person because he thought by doing that he was fulfilling the prophecy, as he didn't know all of it

haha
July 21st, 2005, 11:42 pm
And Voldy wanted to kill Harry and his family in person because he thought by doing that he was fulfilling the prophecy, as he didn't know all of it
Actually he was trying to not make the prophesy come true. He only heard that a boy, either Neville or Harry, had the power to defeat him. He didn't hear the fact that by attacking him he made him his equal. If he had heard that then he wouldn't have attacked Harry and his family.

Lucybird
July 22nd, 2005, 2:33 pm
Actually he was trying to not make the prophesy come true. He only heard that a boy, either Neville or Harry, had the power to defeat him. He didn't hear the fact that by attacking him he made him his equal. If he had heard that then he wouldn't have attacked Harry and his family.

No he thought that to stop Harry or Neville being able to kill him he had to kill them, in that way he thought he was fulfilling the prophecy

Airabeth
July 22nd, 2005, 3:09 pm
Can witches and wizards die normal deaths or in other words, could the Potters have died in a car crash?

Danhool
July 22nd, 2005, 7:17 pm
Ya, of course. I mean, Harry and Ron almost died when they were driving in that flying car. Harry almost died when he fell out of the sky during the Quidditch game in PoA. So yeah, it seems like their bodies are just as fragile as muggles. I guess the fact that they can use magic just helps them avoid being put into situations where they could be hurt/killed by regular accidents such as a car crash.

haha
July 23rd, 2005, 3:03 am
Can witches and wizards die normal deaths or in other words, could the Potters have died in a car crash?
Wizards and witches are still human so it's entirely possible that they could die a 'normal' death, however usually they have wands to protect themselves from hard and tend to die from more wizard related deaths.

ericaboodle
July 23rd, 2005, 2:53 pm

I'd think so, but they seem to have in-built mechanisms to prevent accidental deaths, such as Neville bouncing after his uncle (I think) dropped him out of the window, and Harry appearing on top of the school when Duddles chases him. I'm not sure if that sort of thing works into adult age though.

I have my own question: What is the extent of secrecy when it comes to muggle borns and their families? Hermione's parents obviously know she's a witch, but what about aunts, uncles, or close family friends? As an adult, would she be allowed to use magic, say, at her uncle's house? What are the protocols for this type of thing?

Machiavelli
July 23rd, 2005, 4:11 pm
I have my own question: What is the extent of secrecy when it comes to muggle borns and their families? Hermione's parents obviously know she's a witch, but what about aunts, uncles, or close family friends? As an adult, would she be allowed to use magic, say, at her uncle's house? What are the protocols for this type of thing?I think secrecy is pretty vital so I doubt anyone beyond the immediate family is told - but there's not much canon on this so I could be wrong. Dumbledore dealt with the orphanage issue by altering the matron's memory/mind so she could accept Tom's schooling without needing to be told the full truth. Granted, family is a bit different, but I doubt they're going to go telling anyone they don't need to.

Even as an adult I think Hermione would still be restricted by the secrecy act or whatever it is - think there's legislation against doing magic in front of muggles regardless. Now, were she in mortal danger, or were her family I think she'd be allowed to do as she needed.

dalziel
July 23rd, 2005, 10:21 pm
My question has been bugging me for years now! Ron and Harry tried to keep the Ford Anglia invisible over London ( and almost succeeded!) because Muggles shouldn't see a flying car. Obvious, right?

So, is the Hogwarts Express invisible? Muggles shouldn't see a bright red steam train with Hogwarts written all over it. They shouldn't see the tracks either.

Why keep the platform invisible if the train can pull out of Kings Cross in all it's steam-era glory? It would attract a thousand enthusastic muggles!

Inkwolf
July 23rd, 2005, 10:30 pm
Hee, hee! That is a good one. :)

Maybe it just has a muggle-repelling charm, like the one on Hogwarts so that people only see a ruined building and warning signs...only for the train it would look like an ordinary train.

haha
July 24th, 2005, 1:40 am
My question has been bugging me for years now! Ron and Harry tried to keep the Ford Anglia invisible over London ( and almost succeeded!) because Muggles shouldn't see a flying car. Obvious, right?

So, is the Hogwarts Express invisible? Muggles shouldn't see a bright red steam train with Hogwarts written all over it. They shouldn't see the tracks either.

Why keep the platform invisible if the train can pull out of Kings Cross in all it's steam-era glory? It would attract a thousand enthusastic muggles!
I imagine that some sort of protection has been placed on the train similar to that placed on Hogwarts itself. Muggles don't see Hogwarts, they see a run down castle, and it's possible that the same thing occurs with the train. However since the train is moving, it's possible that it is invisible to muggles.

Just a thought I want to run by people because it's not really a question. Snape and LV both have fathers who were muggles and hence they are half-bloods. However, Harry is also referred to as a half-blood because his mosther is muggle-born. You'd think that since both his parents were wizards that he's be referred to as a full-blood.

So, that brings me to my conclusion that a full-blood must only refer to a family line which has NO muggles, and even if both your parents were wizards that doesn't automatically classify you as a full-blood. Just wanted to get other people's ideas of the classification of a half-blood and a full-blood. I know this concept isn't really all that vital to the plot of the story :lol: [which is why I posted it here] but its been bugging me a lot and I was interested to hear what other people thought.

pyromaniac
July 24th, 2005, 1:43 am
Its all in the 4rth book.

Mundungus Fletc
July 24th, 2005, 5:41 am
So, that brings me to my conclusion that a full-blood must only refer to a family line which has NO muggles, and even if both your parents were wizards that doesn't automatically classify you as a full-blood. Just wanted to get other people's ideas of the classification of a half-blood and a full-blood.
JKR adressed this by referring to the NAZI blood philosophy which said (I think) that you were 'tainted' by a single Jewish Great Grandparent

Genetrix
July 24th, 2005, 7:15 am
I hope I'm not the only one who was confused by the ending of Order of the Phoenix... What exactly happened to Harry when he turned into SnakeHarry? We're seeing this from Harry's point of view, obviously. Is it just as simple as Voldemort making Nagini posess him? And if so, how could Nagini possess him, really? And why was it so painful? Harry still had his mind and he still knew what was happening, as opposed to Ginny when she was posessed, who would just lose chunks of time and would not know what was happening in those chunks. So... That would mean there are different types of posessions, right?

We know that Harry could feel Voldemort's extreme emotions and vice versa, and how Dumbledore knew that Harry'd go crazy if he looked him in the eye... But would that really be enough to have something inside of Harry change him into SnakeHarry? I mean, emotions are one thing, but physical alteration is another. I'm still rather confused.

haha
July 25th, 2005, 2:10 am
JKR adressed this by referring to the NAZI blood philosophy which said (I think) that you were 'tainted' by a single Jewish Great Grandparent
Ok, thanks :)

hoody47
July 25th, 2005, 2:26 am
I hope I'm not the only one who was confused by the ending of Order of the Phoenix... What exactly happened to Harry when he turned into SnakeHarry? We're seeing this from Harry's point of view, obviously. Is it just as simple as Voldemort making Nagini posess him? And if so, how could Nagini possess him, really? And why was it so painful? Harry still had his mind and he still knew what was happening, as opposed to Ginny when she was posessed, who would just lose chunks of time and would not know what was happening in those chunks. So... That would mean there are different types of posessions, right?

We know that Harry could feel Voldemort's extreme emotions and vice versa, and how Dumbledore knew that Harry'd go crazy if he looked him in the eye... But would that really be enough to have something inside of Harry change him into SnakeHarry? I mean, emotions are one thing, but physical alteration is another. I'm still rather confused.

if by snakeharry you mean when voldemort posses harry and tries to get DD to kill him, it was different because ginny was being possed by the diary
[ Removed -- No Spoilers Allowed ]

if you mean when "snakeharry" attacked arthur wealsey
harry wasn't being possesed, he was seeing Lord Voldemort's thoughts/mind and at that moment, Lord Voldemort was possesing the snake (which was probably nagini)

Meghann
July 25th, 2005, 2:47 am
I agree with hoody...Lord Voldemort knew he could lead Nagini, but didn't know about his and Harry's connection; however, Harry was aware, slightly of that connection and since he "dropped" in on Voldemort's thoughts at times, he could also "be" Nagini. As to why it hurt Harry, he felt it with his Occulmency lessons but since it was not controlled maybe he hurt himself trying to not be in the memory?? Just a thought....

haha
July 25th, 2005, 11:28 pm
Would a person who's parents were BOTH muggle-borns be considered a half-blood?

siriusfriend
July 26th, 2005, 3:04 am
Would a person who's parents were BOTH muggle-borns be considered a half-blood?

I read an interview with JKR that mentioned something about the definition going back to the grandparents and she even compared with with the Nazi definition of "Jewish" becauase the definition was truly created by the purebloods who wanted to define those who were "beneath them."

I think it might be an interview on the mugglenet site but now I can't find it so if anyone has seen it and remembers it would they give us a link?

TaraBrady
July 26th, 2005, 3:11 am
It was on her offical site. Here's the text version (http://www.jkrowling.com/textonly/faq_view.cfm?id=58).

It's an interesting question, haha. I think a child of two muggle borns, to the sort of people who make such distentions, would still be a mudblood.

CrystalxLite
July 26th, 2005, 3:23 am
JKR wrote in Ootp that thoughts can hurt worse than acts or words. Do you think Harry will defeat LV with a thought ??? And how ???

Perhaps! What an awesome thought. Do you think because Harry CAN love that the thought would have something to do with that? Or maybe, like in PoA - he will show...whatever he showed Peter Pettigrew...nobility I suppose...that instead of Harry killing LV, that LV will commit suicide rather than owe Harry his life (since his worst fear is death)...

I'm not sure, because Harry does "want him finished". But something to ponder.

haha
July 26th, 2005, 3:53 am
It was on her offical site. Here's the text version (http://www.jkrowling.com/textonly/faq_view.cfm?id=58).

It's an interesting question, haha. I think a child of two muggle borns, to the sort of people who make such distentions, would still be a mudblood.
Thanks for the link :) Those were my thoughts too. If they classified one muggleborn parent as a half-blood then two I guess would be seen as a muggle-born too. That works since both his/her grandparents 'spoiled' the bloodline.

Sprout1962
July 26th, 2005, 3:48 pm
I interpreted the interview information regarding bloodlines as this:

Pureblood: all wizarding ancestry

Half-blood: some wizards and some (at least 1) Muggle ancestry

Mudblood/Muggle-born: witch or wizard born to 2 Muggles.

I think the half-bloods are looked upon by pureblood supremists as "better" than mudblood/Muggle-born witches or wizards because the half-bloods have at least "some" wizarding blood in them. Even the DE's, and Voldemort, will accept a half-blood like Snape, but we haven't heard of any Muggle-born DE's (which makes perfect sense given the DE's outlook on this subject). Muggle-borns are "dirty" because they didn't come from wizarding stock.

As an aside, Mudblood is a awful term, isn't it?

siriusfriend
July 26th, 2005, 3:50 pm
But has been mentioned, purebloods are a lot rarer than they seem as those who care about such things just disown members of their family who don't fit the mold. Remember Sirius and Harry looking that the Black family tree on the tapestry? All the burn marks?

ouxch
July 26th, 2005, 6:06 pm
if a half blood and a mudblood have a baby what does that make the baby quarter blood?

FirefightingMuggle
July 26th, 2005, 6:12 pm
if a half blood and a mudblood have a baby what does that make the baby quarter blood?

No, I think they would still be called a Half-Blood, because they have some wizard and some Muggle in their ancestry.

KarryPotter
July 26th, 2005, 6:20 pm
Perhaps! What an awesome thought. Do you think because Harry CAN love that the thought would have something to do with that? Or maybe, like in PoA - he will show...whatever he showed Peter Pettigrew...nobility I suppose...that instead of Harry killing LV, that LV will commit suicide rather than owe Harry his life (since his worst fear is death)...

I'm not sure, because Harry does "want him finished". But something to ponder.

Indeed, Harry did feel something akin to pity when learning about the younger Tom R. Perhaps that may tie in to your thought...

Genetrix
July 27th, 2005, 1:18 am
Did we ever find out why flying carpets were banned? In Goblet of Fire there are a few mentions of them, and how the Ministry of Magic is trying to keep them out.

Inkwolf
July 27th, 2005, 1:41 am
Did we ever find out why flying carpets were banned? In Goblet of Fire there are a few mentions of them, and how the Ministry of Magic is trying to keep them out.

I think they said it was because they considered carpets to be muggle artifacts.

surrypotter
July 27th, 2005, 3:28 am
I'm confused about "snakeharry" It would be easier to continue a discussion on that topic if we knew that we were talking about Nagini attacking Mr. Weasley, or LV possessing Harry at the end of OOTP. I would say that, Harry was in Voldemort's thoughts when Voldemort was using Nagini to get into the ministry, and that LV couldn't posess Harry at the END of the book because of the emotional outpouring of love that Harry has for Sirius. As far as Ginny's posession by LV ... he was just a memory ... so it wasn't as powerful as a fully alive LV.

haha
July 27th, 2005, 4:32 am
I'm confused about "snakeharry" It would be easier to continue a discussion on that topic if we knew that we were talking about Nagini attacking Mr. Weasley, or LV possessing Harry at the end of OOTP. I would say that, Harry was in Voldemort's thoughts when Voldemort was using Nagini to get into the ministry, and that LV couldn't posess Harry at the END of the book because of the emotional outpouring of love that Harry has for Sirius. As far as Ginny's posession by LV ... he was just a memory ... so it wasn't as powerful as a fully alive LV.
Have I missed something? What's 'snakeharry'?

anourag
July 27th, 2005, 7:35 am
I have two questions regarding the Dursleys :

1. How did their Christmas "presents" with attached notes reach Harry at Hogwarts ?
2. How does the Dursleys know when to come to Kings Cross to pick up Harry back from Hogwarts ?

PhoenixFires
July 27th, 2005, 11:06 am

1. How did their Christmas "presents" with attached notes reach Harry at Hogwarts ?
2. How does the Dursleys know when to come to Kings Cross to pick up Harry back from Hogwarts ?

I think I heard somewhere that DD asked the dursleys or something then sent harry the present himself, dunno why though.

and as for picking harry up, id say DD told them again, as you should know petunia is hiding something so i think she kind of has a contact in the wizarding world, maybe that was DD so maybe they already know about all that in the first place

Sprout1962
July 27th, 2005, 1:34 pm
Hedwig delivers Harry's Christmas gifts - remember the one year they sent him a toothpick? :lol:

The books never actually say how the Dursleys know to pick up Harry at the train station, but I always assumed he sent word with Hedwig since the Dursleys know she carries messages.

Skinwalker
July 27th, 2005, 2:01 pm
1) Who uses the wand in the image in my sig? XD

2) What explanation is there for Flitwick's appearance? If he's half dwarf/ goblin or something, why doesn't Umbridge resent him?

Machiavelli
July 27th, 2005, 3:36 pm
2) What explanation is there for Flitwick's appearance? If he's half dwarf/ goblin or something, why doesn't Umbridge resent him?According to the FAQ on JKR's site he's human with 'a dash of goblin.' It's part of his background story that she says she now realises will not be part of the books. She says it's something like a great, great, great grandfather, which means it's unlikely that Umbridge knows his heritage and therefore she wouldn't resent him. She says the film version of Flitwick is quite exaggerated - in her vision he was just a very small old man, quite human. However, the nice thing is that his background gives him a great deal of sympathy for mixed-heritage people, and he is a very welcoming person to everyone.

Lucybird
July 27th, 2005, 5:01 pm

According to Dumbledore Harry could see through the snake because Voldybum was possesing it at ther time, so really he was seeing through Voldy's eyes. As to who the snake was we don't know but I think Nagini is a good guess. But for me Voldy possesing the snake gives the question why didn't he just possess an animal and then deposes it to get the prophecy then posses it again to get out the MoM

Domi
July 27th, 2005, 6:11 pm
I've got a silly question.

Is Crookshanks an animagus?

Lucky7280
July 27th, 2005, 6:17 pm
no he's not...he's a special kind of animal. I remember JKR mentioning something about Crookshanks on her website. I know that she mentioned the type of cat crookshanks is in one of her books, Fantastic beasts and where to find them, i think thats what its called.

Machiavelli
July 27th, 2005, 6:27 pm
Crookshanks is half kneazle - possibly bred by Mrs Figg. Kneazles are described in a book JKR wrote for charity called (let's see if I get this right) 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them'

Here you are: all about Crookshanks (http://www.jkrowling.com/textonly/extrastuff_view.cfm?id=10)

Genetrix
July 27th, 2005, 6:34 pm
2) What explanation is there for Flitwick's appearance? If he's half dwarf/ goblin or something, why doesn't Umbridge resent him?

According to the FAQ on JKR's site he's human with 'a dash of goblin.' It's part of his background story that she says she now realises will not be part of the books. She says it's something like a great, great, great grandfather, which means it's unlikely that Umbridge knows his heritage and therefore she wouldn't resent him. She says the film version of Flitwick is quite exaggerated - in her vision he was just a very small old man, quite human. However, the nice thing is that his background gives him a great deal of sympathy for mixed-heritage people, and he is a very welcoming person to everyone.

The movies are pretty confused about Flitwick. In the first one, he's old and wrinkly with whispy grey-white hair. By the third one, however, he's a sleek-haired brunette with a moustache and glasses. Whoo-wee. (Not that much of this matters, but it's interesting!)

Flitwick #1 (http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/images/premiere/flitwick.jpg)
Half of Flitwick #2 (http://veritaserum.com/galleries/displayimage.php?album=110&pos=257) (Kinda sucks.)

FirefightingMuggle
July 27th, 2005, 7:01 pm
I prefered Flitwick #1 really. He looks more like I had pictured him...and he seems to fit the canon a bit better. Flitwick #2 looks sort of like a very short Hitler. I think I was with Jo though...Flitwick should be a shorter human, not so short as what the movies have made him.

SIGH...but then, the movies will never be canon, so I can't expect them to be perfect.

78peers
July 27th, 2005, 7:04 pm
Hey hey hey, guys. Okay, this is like one of my first times posting on these boards, so please bear with me. I just had a whole bunch of questions, and I'm not quite sure whether they have already been answered on this thread (not my fault, but there are just such a lot of posts to go through, so I didn't read all of them, though I did some :p)

1) This one is about Thestrals. And no, it's not about Harry and why he didn't see them at the end of GOF. Instead, it's about Hermione. Now, everyone knows that Hermione is a big know-it-all, right? She's read Hogwarts, a History numerous times, and definitely has much of it memorized. She seems to know quite well how Hogwarts works, what charms and spells are on it to protect the students, etc. etc. Now, the fact that Hogwarts has perhaps the only domestic herd of Thestrals would surely be a fact stated in Hogwarts, a History, wouldn't it? I'm also quite sure that Thestrals would be mentioned in the book as the mode of transportation for the students in and out of Hogwarts, right? Perhaps in a section entitled 'Interesting Facts about Hogwarts' or something. However, Hermione does not seem to realize that Thestrals are the things driving the carts until OOTP. Since she's one to brag about what she knows (and we see her in the first book bragging about her knowledge of the four houses, its history, etc.), would she not then have said something about Thestrals before their 5th year? And also why does no one there seem to know what drives the carts? ... I mean, don't you see some curious kids going around the front of the carts and making quite a scene about meeting something solid there that they can't see? And what about the noise that the hoofs would make on the road? I just think it odd that no one seems to know about these creatures, except maybe Luna. I mean, even if I couldn't see it, if I heard it, I'd be asking someone.

jpowell
July 27th, 2005, 7:05 pm
The movies are pretty confused about Flitwick. In the first one, he's old and wrinkly with whispy grey-white hair. By the third one, however, he's a sleek-haired brunette with a moustache and glasses. Whoo-wee. (Not that much of this matters, but it's interesting!)

Flitwick #1 (http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/images/premiere/flitwick.jpg)
Half of Flitwick #2 (http://veritaserum.com/galleries/displayimage.php?album=110&pos=257) (Kinda sucks.)

the person u are refering too is someone totally different. the sleek haired brunette is a different teacher. i don't recall which book it was if it was the second one or what, but, somewhere there is reference that flitwick retired or went on a long vacation from teaching.

FirefightingMuggle
July 27th, 2005, 7:16 pm
Hey hey hey, guys. Okay, this is like one of my first times posting on these boards, so please bear with me. I just had a whole bunch of questions, and I'm not quite sure whether they have already been answered on this thread (not my fault, but there are just such a lot of posts to go through, so I didn't read all of them, though I did some :p)

1) This one is about Thestrals. And no, it's not about Harry and why he didn't see them at the end of GOF. Instead, it's about Hermione. Now, everyone knows that Hermione is a big know-it-all, right? She's read Hogwarts, a History numerous times, and definitely has much of it memorized. She seems to know quite well how Hogwarts works, what charms and spells are on it to protect the students, etc. etc. Now, the fact that Hogwarts has perhaps the only domestic herd of Thestrals would surely be a fact stated in Hogwarts, a History, wouldn't it? I'm also quite sure that Thestrals would be mentioned in the book as the mode of transportation for the students in and out of Hogwarts, right? Perhaps in a section entitled 'Interesting Facts about Hogwarts' or something. However, Hermione does not seem to realize that Thestrals are the things driving the carts until OOTP. Since she's one to brag about what she knows (and we see her in the first book bragging about her knowledge of the four houses, its history, etc.), would she not then have said something about Thestrals before their 5th year? And also why does no one there seem to know what drives the carts? ... I mean, don't you see some curious kids going around the front of the carts and making quite a scene about meeting something solid there that they can't see? And what about the noise that the hoofs would make on the road? I just think it odd that no one seems to know about these creatures, except maybe Luna. I mean, even if I couldn't see it, if I heard it, I'd be asking someone.

I remember Hagrid saying something about one of the Thestrals being the first that Hogwarts got... My best guess is that the Thestrals are fairly new to the school, and, at the time of the last revision of Hogwarts: A History, they were not there yet. That is a good question, really, I don't know.
I guess it would be a plot device so that Harry didn't know about the Thestrals until OotP, when he was able to comprehend the death that he saw, but that is such a mundane answer...there has to be something more interesting to it.

the person u are refering too is someone totally different. the sleek haired brunette is a different teacher. i don't recall which book it was if it was the second one or what, but, somewhere there is reference that flitwick retired or went on a long vacation from teaching.

:huh: I don't remember that. Could you find a quote please?

DobbysBludger
July 27th, 2005, 9:25 pm

No, the teacher that retired was the previous Care of Magical Creatures professor and Quirrel was the teacher who had a leave of absence.

Prof. Flitwick has featured in all the books.

PoA - explains the 'secret-keeper' charm in the 'Three Broomsticks' and of course Sirius is held in Flitwicks office at the end of the book.

GoF - is suitably impressed by Harry's use of 'Accio' at the first task.

OotP - presses the box of sugar mice on Harry after his interview with 'The Quibbler' comes out.

And these are just edited highlights I could remember of the top of my head there are of course numerous Charms lessons.

Hilary
July 27th, 2005, 9:31 pm
After reading all the books multiple times I really need one question answered because ever since the fifth book came out I still don't get what it means. When Tonks said to Harry " Wotcher Harry" what does she mean when she said that? I don't get it at all! What does Wotcher mean? I hope this is a good thread to ask this question. I really hope someone can help me out here :)

Hilary :p :blush:

Billywiggy
July 27th, 2005, 10:08 pm
When Tonks said to Harry " Wotcher Harry" what does she mean when she said that? It's English slang for a greeting. Here's the definition from The Cambridge DictionaryDefinition: wotcha, wotcher
exclamation UK INFORMAL
used as an informal greeting, especially between friends:
Wotcha, mate! ;)

Hilary
July 27th, 2005, 11:21 pm
It's English slang for a greeting. Here's the definition from The Cambridge Dictionary ;)

Oh thanks so much for clearing that up! I'm a canadian so I didn't know:)

Hilary :p :blush:

Drusilla
July 28th, 2005, 5:41 pm
What I really want to know is the birth order and ages of the Black sisters- Andromeda, Bellatrix and Narcissa.

Also, I'm itching to know just how Lily's parents died. Maybe a car crash? (which could be where Petunia got the 'your-parents-died-in-a-car-crash' story from?)

Inkwolf
July 28th, 2005, 5:49 pm
I don't think we've ever been told...

I have a question...

If the Weasleys all have 'more children than they can afford'...

And if it's rare for any of them to be girls, as JKR says....

Then shouldn't the wizarding world be simply crawling with Weasleys? And yet we never see any but Ron's immediate family...

DobbysBludger
July 28th, 2005, 5:53 pm
What I really want to know is the birth order and ages of the Black sisters- Andromeda, Bellatrix and Narcissa.

Also, I'm itching to know just how Lily's parents died. Maybe a car crash? (which could be where Petunia got the 'your-parents-died-in-a-car-crash' story from?)

Don't know about Lily's parents.

But the Black tapestry listed the sisters left to right - Bellatrix; Andromeda: Narcissa. This would imply their birth order as family trees usually run siblings left to right in order of age.

nihonsalem
July 28th, 2005, 5:57 pm
And Hermiones for that matter. We hear from Petunia that her parents were so excited about getting the letter from Hogwarts saying their daugther was a witch, and I think(don't have PS in Japan with me)Hermione, what, explained what it meant to her parents and then they were ok with it? Since the Wizarding community keeps itself unwraps from the muggles, why were they so accepting? I mean, I if I got a letter tomorrow from an owl saying I, or someone in my family had magical powers, I would think I needed some psychiatric help.How could Lily's parents be so exctied when they had no idea what it would mean?Petunia quotes her parents something like," We have a WITCH in the family". Now assuming they weren't tied to the magical community(squibs or the like), how could they be proud of someting they just learned existed? Am I getting this across? It is 2am here. lol kind of tired

Genetrix
July 28th, 2005, 6:30 pm
I don't think we've ever been told...

I have a question...

If the Weasleys all have 'more children than they can afford'...

And if it's rare for any of them to be girls, as JKR says....

Then shouldn't the wizarding world be simply crawling with Weasleys? And yet we never see any but Ron's immediate family...
Malfoy said that, right? He might have just meant the one family. The Weasleys are purebloods, and there aren't many purebloods left anyway. And they do live in the middle of nowhere. I just think Arthur and Mollywobbles love each other. *heart*

It kinda sucks that most of their children are male, and odd too.

dalziel
July 28th, 2005, 8:41 pm
And Hermiones for that matter. We hear from Petunia that her parents were so excited about getting the letter from Hogwarts saying their daugther was a witch, and I think(don't have PS in Japan with me)Hermione, what, explained what it meant to her parents and then they were ok with it? Since the Wizarding community keeps itself unwraps from the muggles, why were they so accepting? I mean, I if I got a letter tomorrow from an owl saying I, or someone in my family had magical powers, I would think I needed some psychiatric help.How could Lily's parents be so exctied when they had no idea what it would mean?Petunia quotes her parents something like," We have a WITCH in the family". Now assuming they weren't tied to the magical community(squibs or the like), how could they be proud of someting they just learned existed? Am I getting this across? It is 2am here. lol kind of tired

Yes, I know exactly what you're saying! I have thought for ages that this meant there was already another magical member of the family, a wizard father or witch mom to Lily and Petunia? Maybe even a squib, but definitely 'in the know'. I thought this had made Petunia even more resentful.

I was waiting for confirmation of this great theory in the 6th book but...........

Lucybird
July 28th, 2005, 9:05 pm
I have a question. When Hermione missed charms in POA why didn't she just use the timeturner to go back and take the lesson? That is what it's for after all.

Also in POA DD knew that Sirius knew how to work the whomping willow, so why didn't he have it guarded?

DobbysBludger
July 28th, 2005, 9:42 pm
I have a question. When Hermione missed charms in POA why didn't she just use the timeturner to go back and take the lesson? That is what it's for after all.

Also in POA DD knew that Sirius knew how to work the whomping willow, so why didn't he have it guarded?

I think because Harry and Ron had already noticed she wasn't there (in the classroom) it would have been created to much differculty to go back. An anomoly where by there would have been a future where Harry and Ron knew Hermione missed the lesson and then another where they would have seen her in the lesson. Its a bit beyond my total comprehension but that's the best answer I can think of.

Was Dumbledore aware that Sirius knew the secret of the whomping willow? Did Snape go so far as to tell Dumbledore who had told him how to follow Remus on his monthly 'rest', when Dumbledore swore him to secrecy over the matter?

PLIMPY
July 29th, 2005, 8:34 am
As for the time turner thing, the way I always viewed it is if something didn't already happen it isn't going to happen. So by missing class Hermione knew that she wasn't going to go back in time to go to class because then she would have been there the first time around, if that makes any sense.

Was Dumbledore aware that Sirius knew the secret of the whomping willow? Did Snape go so far as to tell Dumbledore who had told him how to follow Remus on his monthly 'rest', when Dumbledore swore him to secrecy over the matter?
I could just be forgetting if the book actually addressed this or not, but it seems strange to me that Dumbledore wouldn't want to know how Snape found out about the tree, and I can't imagine Snape not trying to tell on Sirius. To me it seems that Dumbledore would have known, but he wouldn't have just forgotten it, and I don't think that Snape would have let him. Either way, one of them had to know, and still nothing was done to protect the school from that means of entrance. They could have thought that Sirius didn't know where it lead to, or that the dementors in Hogsmede and Hogwarts would have been enough to keep him away, or maybe it was one of those things that Dumbledore thought Harry should face.

Lucybird
July 29th, 2005, 10:34 am

I presumed he was seeing as he knew that Sirius 'showed himself capable of murder' as a teenager

surrypotter
July 29th, 2005, 6:09 pm
As for the time turner thing, the way I always viewed it is if something didn't already happen it isn't going to happen. So by missing class Hermione knew that she wasn't going to go back in time to go to class because then she would have been there the first time around, if that makes any sense.

I could just be forgetting if the book actually addressed this or not, but it seems strange to me that Dumbledore wouldn't want to know how Snape found out about the tree, and I can't imagine Snape not trying to tell on Sirius. To me it seems that Dumbledore would have known, but he wouldn't have just forgotten it, and I don't think that Snape would have let him. Either way, one of them had to know, and still nothing was done to protect the school from that means of entrance. They could have thought that Sirius didn't know where it lead to, or that the dementors in Hogsmede and Hogwarts would have been enough to keep him away, or maybe it was one of those things that Dumbledore thought Harry should face.

1. I don't think Snape would have "tattled" because it would have made him look like a fool for trying to figure out what the foursome was doing anyway
2. I think that Sirius would have found it a hilarious joke to see Snape almost be attacked by a werewolf ... but I know that he would have "transformed" into the dog if Snape got into real trouble ... Sirius wasn't evil ... just mischievous
3. Remember ... kids are CRUEL!!!! it's just their nature ...
4. DD did know more than he ever let on ... I think he knew exactly what was going on ... but he felt that his students needed to learn lessons on their own
4. In the spirit of learning lessons on their own ... what lesson did Snape learn later on in life after he got 'in over his head'?

elperuaan
July 29th, 2005, 6:15 pm
Dumbledore did know about the whomping willow, and he knew at least Snape and James knew how to get into the passage. If you remember, DD told Harry that James had saved Snapes live. So he knew what had happened. I guess he also knew Sirius knew how to operate the willow. But I guess he was curious about him, and didn't mind knowing what exactly he was up to.

surrypotter
July 29th, 2005, 6:50 pm
Yes, I know exactly what you're saying! I have thought for ages that this meant there was already another magical member of the family, a wizard father or witch mom to Lily and Petunia? Maybe even a squib, but definitely 'in the know'. I thought this had made Petunia even more resentful.

I was waiting for confirmation of this great theory in the 6th book but...........

I think we will see the conclusion of the whole Lily/Petunia antagonism ... but obviously SOMEONE somewhere in the family had to have been a wizard ... or a witch ... it seems logical that one family might have a more conclusive family history than another. For example, my grandparents have traced our family back to the ages of Charlemagne, during the time when pagans were being persecuted if they didn't convert to christianity. So perhaps Lily's parents had some knowledge that historically they had witches and/or wizards in their family line, and Hermione's parents didn't have that lineage outlined so therefor didn't know that there were 'rumors' or 'truths' of witches or wizards in their family line.

mindtraveler
July 29th, 2005, 7:02 pm
EDIT: for spoilers

surrypotter
July 29th, 2005, 7:17 pm
EDIT: for spoilers

troublemakr44
July 31st, 2005, 3:36 am
:blush: hey i was wondering if any1 knew what HANNAH ABBOT CLAINED SIRUIS CAN TURN INTO??? please reply back

thanks
ari
:p

surrypotter
July 31st, 2005, 3:47 am
:blush: hey i was wondering if any1 knew what HANNAH ABBOT CLAINED SIRUIS CAN TURN INTO??? please reply back

thanks
ari

Someone speculates (I don't know if it was Hannah or not) that Sirius might be able to turn himself into some sort of magical plant, and that's how he's getting past all the protections and getting into the castle.

Minion
July 31st, 2005, 11:03 am
this has been buggin me since harry found out filtch was a squib
Can Squibs have magical babies???

TaraBrady
July 31st, 2005, 3:37 pm
I don't think it's been covered in the books. Personally, I think squibs are probably just about as likely to have a magical child as a muggle would be.

Sequensia
July 31st, 2005, 4:43 pm
Yeah, I agree. Squibs don't have any magical powers, they just grew up in the magical world.

Lucybird
July 31st, 2005, 4:53 pm

thanks
ari

Hannah Abbott, from Hufflepuff, spent much of their next Herbology class telling anyone who'd listen that Black could turn into a flowering plant.

This gave rise to my silly thread Hannah Abbott a seer? (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=54316)

surrypotter
July 31st, 2005, 5:57 pm
this has been buggin me since harry found out filtch was a squib
Can Squibs have magical babies???

I think JKR addressed this in one of her interviews ... but think about this .... if there is magical blood in a family line ... ie the 'Evans' .... then technically ... those muggles with magical lineage would be both muggles and squibs ... and since it's obvious that Lily's parents were non magical but had a magical baby ... then there's obviously some magic in their lineage ... in conclusion ... there are muggles that are squibs ... and likely there are squibs that are muggles (since they have no clue that there is magic in their lineage)

and that's my 2 knuts

something interesting, when Harry used floo powder for the first time he'd gone a bit too far and ended up in B&B where he saw all kinds of interesting dark things. However, he hid in a cabinet when Draco and his Father entered. Why didn't he vanish somewhere? isn't it logical that he was in the vanishing cabinet? did he not vanish because the other cabinet was broken? And if that's the case ... why did the member of the Inquisitorial squad vanish and get stuck between B&B and hogwarts when fred and george put him in it?

Lucybird
July 31st, 2005, 6:04 pm
something interesting, when Harry used floo powder for the first time he'd gone a bit too far and ended up in B&B where he saw all kinds of interesting dark things. However, he hid in a cabinet when Draco and his Father entered. Why didn't he vanish somewhere? isn't it logical that he was in the vanishing cabinet? did he not vanish because the other cabinet was broken? And if that's the case ... why did the member of the Inquisitorial squad vanish and get stuck between B&B and hogwarts when fred and george put him in it?

I think maybe Harry didn't vanish because he left the door of the cabinet open, maybe it only operates if the door is closed?

Inkwolf
July 31st, 2005, 6:07 pm
Maybe Borgin and Burke's had it shut down somehow, and that's why Montague couldn't get out.

Morgan LeFay
July 31st, 2005, 6:08 pm
And if that's the case ... why did the member of the Inquisitorial squad vanish and get stuck between B&B and hogwarts when fred and george put him in it?
Maybe the one one in B&B was broken so it only worked one way?
EDIT: No, of course the one in Hogwarts was broken, silly me. In that case I agrre with the person above me. Maybe B&B didn't want any intruders so it shut it down somehow.

surrypotter
July 31st, 2005, 6:14 pm
I think maybe Harry didn't vanish because he left the door of the cabinet open, maybe it only operates if the door is closed?

ahhh ... that would make sense
:blush:

dalziel
July 31st, 2005, 7:27 pm

thanks
ari

Hannah claimed that Sirius could change into a Flowering Shrub. (POA) Assuming you need this answer for Snitch Quiz 7, remember it's already 7.30 pm in England so you're cutting it fine............hurry!

I think we will see the conclusion of the whole Lily/Petunia antagonism ... but obviously SOMEONE somewhere in the family had to have been a wizard ... or a witch ... it seems logical that one family might have a more conclusive family history than another. For example, my grandparents have traced our family back to the ages of Charlemagne, during the time when pagans were being persecuted if they didn't convert to christianity. So perhaps Lily's parents had some knowledge that historically they had witches and/or wizards in their family line, and Hermione's parents didn't have that lineage outlined so therefor didn't know that there were 'rumors' or 'truths' of witches or wizards in their family line.

OFF TOPIC -- Charlemagne? Lucky you, what a fabulous piece of family history to discover!!! My dad's 'tree' got me back as far as Charles Dickens but I didn't inherit any literary ability! (and the original Dickens manuscripts, due to be inherited by my Dad and thought to have been destroyed in a house fire when two old maiden aunts died, were actually bequeathed to The Dickensian Society in London years before. So, all's as it should be, I guess! Would have been nice to be famous writer though!!!

surrypotter
August 1st, 2005, 12:38 am
Hannah claimed that Sirius could change into a Flowering Shrub. (POA) Assuming you need this answer for Snitch Quiz 7, remember it's already 7.30 pm in England so you're cutting it fine............hurry!

OFF TOPIC -- Charlemagne? Lucky you, what a fabulous piece of family history to discover!!! My dad's 'tree' got me back as far as Charles Dickens but I didn't inherit any literary ability! (and the original Dickens manuscripts, due to be inherited by my Dad and thought to have been destroyed in a house fire when two old maiden aunts died, were actually bequeathed to The Dickensian Society in London years before. So, all's as it should be, I guess! Would have been nice to be famous writer though!!!

seems to me you can put quill to parchment well enough :p

DobbysBludger
August 1st, 2005, 2:54 pm
originally posted by PLIMPY
or maybe it was one of those things that Dumbledore thought Harry should face.

originally posted by surrypotter
4. DD did know more than he ever let on...I think he knew exactly what was going on...but felt that his students needed to learn lessons on their own.

There is allowing Harry to face things/let students learn their own lessons, and then there is the fact that a murderous wizard has broken into Hogwarts twice, once slashing a portrait to pieces and then actually breaking into a dormitory to be found knife in hand over a student. Under these circumstances if Dumbledore knew that Sirius was aware of the Whomping Willows' tunnel he should have had it guarded in some way.
Also from Dumbledore's point of view the sooner Sirius is caught the sooner the Dementors go from the Castle.

nikkia77
August 1st, 2005, 2:59 pm
Do any of you know how Harry got his map back after the fake Moody borrowed it?

Sprout1962
August 1st, 2005, 3:09 pm
Hi nikkia, and :welcome: !

JKR answered this question on her website, in the FAQ section, here (http://www.jkrowling.com/textonly/faq_view.cfm?id=20)

Here's what she said: Section: F.A.Q.
How did Harry get the Marauder's Map back at the end of 'Goblet of Fire'?

He simply took it back from the fake Moodys office, but I never show him doing so. Maybe Ill insert a line in the next edition. Im afraid I took it for granted that youd all assume that next time he passed the untenanted office hed go and get it!

So, she never tells us in the books how he got it back. Happy posting!

nikkia77
August 1st, 2005, 3:15 pm
thanks for that it been bugging for ages x

ginnycat
August 2nd, 2005, 3:28 am
[QUOTE=MSquared]If Voldemort is to be killed in the end, that's how I see him being killed. Physically, not magically.

Just my opinion but I have to agree with the "If Voldemort is to be killed in the end. The prophecy says something like neither can live while the other survives. It does not actually state that one must die. Also in one of the books (sorry can't remember if it is the second or fifth) DD tells Harry that there are things worse than death. Maybe Harry doesn't actually have to kill Voldemort maybe he has to do one of these other "things" to him.

xczeus3468
August 2nd, 2005, 3:43 am
that possible, but what's worse than death? the only thing i can think of is removing someone's soul from their body, being in a state like the Longbottoms, or watching the people you love slowly and maliciously killed in front of you.

surrypotter
August 2nd, 2005, 4:26 am
that possible, but what's worse than death? the only thing i can think of is removing someone's soul from their body, being in a state like the Longbottoms, or watching the people you love slowly and maliciously killed in front of you.

death is the worst thing for voldysnort though ... death wouldn't be a fear for HP unless he hadn't offed voldysnort yet

Genetrix
August 2nd, 2005, 11:15 am
There are a lot of things we still don't know about the wizarding world as well; physical tortures, mental tortures, emotional tortures. If Dumbledore says there are things worse than death, I certainly believe him. After all, to a well-organized mind, death is just another adventure. (I'm getting Dumbledore and Gandalf mixed up again.)

Flannery07
August 3rd, 2005, 5:13 am
Not a question, but did anyone know this fact?:

The actress who played Ms. Trunchbull in Matilda (http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&cf=info&id=1800023320) is the same person who plays Aunt Marge in Prisoner of Azkaban?

Only people who have seen matilda would know who im talking about.

Her name is Pam Ferris. Pam Ferris: Trunchbull/Marge. I found that interesting when I found out.

ProfBanaticus
August 3rd, 2005, 6:37 am
Didn't Voldemort say something like the following, "I was without a body, in a state worse that death ..."? I think Voldemort has already been in that "worse than death" state (although, given the choice, I think he'd choose it over death).

I guess losing all of his magical ability and having to live as a muggle would be far worse than death.

surrypotter
August 3rd, 2005, 7:10 am
Didn't Voldemort say something like the following, "I was without a body, in a state worse that death ..."? I think Voldemort has already been in that "worse than death" state (although, given the choice, I think he'd choose it over death).

I guess losing all of his magical ability and having to live as a muggle would be far worse than death.

I don't think he said worse than "death" ... because "death" is the worst thing for him

Tiphany
August 3rd, 2005, 11:59 am
In GOF chapter 33, Voldemort says "I was ripped from my body, I was less than spirit, less than the meanest ghost ... but still, I was alive." Is that the part you're thinking of?

surrypotter
August 3rd, 2005, 12:00 pm
In GOF chapter 33, Voldemort says "I was ripped from my body, I was less than spirit, less than the meanest ghost ... but still, I was alive." Is that the part you're thinking of?

yes .. yet he was "still alive"
oh sankie Tiphany

donkeymoo
August 3rd, 2005, 4:26 pm
a few things:-----

1) the hagrid-letting-kids-take-the-blame-for-a-detention-in-forest thing. for one, he probably thought it was a f***ing treat! he probably thought that he was saying thankyou by showing them his furry friends. on a more objective note, JK had to mention the forbidden forest in some sort of context early on, otherwise lots of the story would be coming out of nowhere eg. usefulness (or uselessness) of fang, malfoy's translucency, voldy's state, firenze and the centaurs, later plot such as aragog etc

2) my own question is where is gambol and japes wizarding joke shop? did it turn into zonkos? go bankrupt? get forgotten?

actually, y'know what, i just answered my own question. gambol and japes is in diagon alley and not hogsmeade, i am a dunce :P do you think fred and george would buy it up? and is it mentioned after CoS?

3) are we ever told how old dumbledore is?

4) do you think it's hagrid's giant half that makes him not look like he's in his 60's?

5) do you think muggle parents are sworn to secrecy? eg. hermione's parents. if they are exposed to the wizarding world because of their children, don't you think they'd have let it leak to the general muggle public somehow, especially since they can cure disease so quickly and painlessly, plus alter physical appearance?

6) on that note, hermione gets her teeth done, and another girl gets her acne treated, but why doesn't anyone else try to get themselves fixed up (ala plastic surgery)? eg. flitwick could make himself taller if he wanted to, umbridge could be less hideous, parents and older siblings could do all kinds of things

7) defence against the dark arts league? or was lockhart just making it up? if not, where are they? are they now part of the order?

Machiavelli
August 3rd, 2005, 6:05 pm
3) are we ever told how old dumbledore is?I believe JKR has said in an interview that he is about 150.
4) do you think it's hagrid's giant half that makes him not look like he's in his 60's?Just as likely to be the wizard half. JKR says wizards - barring bizarre accidents and evil Dark Lords - live longer than muggles.
5) do you think muggle parents are sworn to secrecy? eg. hermione's parents. if they are exposed to the wizarding world because of their children, don't you think they'd have let it leak to the general muggle public somehow, especially since they can cure disease so quickly and painlessly, plus alter physical appearance?I think there would have to be a charm to prevent accidental disclosure.

6) on that note, hermione gets her teeth done, and another girl gets her acne treated, but why doesn't anyone else try to get themselves fixed up (ala plastic surgery)? eg. flitwick could make himself taller if he wanted to, umbridge could be less hideous, parents and older siblings could do all kinds of thingsPerhaps Flitwick and Umbridge are happy with themselves the way they are? There seems to be a limit to what can be done - Eloise Midgin's nose wasn't put back just right, Marietta's 'Sneak' acne has yet to be cured, on one chocolate frog card (if I remember correctly) someone ate a venomous tentacula on a dare or something and turned colour permanently etc. etc.

7) defence against the dark arts league? or was lockhart just making it up? if not, where are they? are they now part of the order?Who knows - sounds a sort of pretentious club that doesn't actually do much!

donkeymoo
August 3rd, 2005, 6:26 pm
you know what, i read the interview but the info about life span cpmletely went into my eyes and out my ears! thanks :tu:

FizzingWhizB
August 3rd, 2005, 8:16 pm
7) defence against the dark arts league? or was lockhart just making it up? if not, where are they? are they now part of the order?
Lockhart was one of the biggest frauds the series has ever encountered. However, we do know one thing: most of Lockhart's stories and claims to fame actually happened, albeit to other witches and wizards on whom he used memory charms.
So, while I doubt Lockhart was ever part of any league, I think he may have seen the makings of the Order or heard rumors about them. I think he used the secrecy surrounding the possibility of a "DADA league," i.e. the refusal of anyone to come out openly and say, "Yes, there is an Order of the Phoenix" to make up this lie.

surrypotter
August 4th, 2005, 12:09 am
Lockhart was one of the biggest frauds the series has ever encountered. However, we do know one thing: most of Lockhart's stories and claims to fame actually happened, albeit to other witches and wizards on whom he used memory charms.
So, while I doubt Lockhart was ever part of any league, I think he may have seen the makings of the Order or heard rumors about them. I think he used the secrecy surrounding the possibility of a "DADA league," i.e. the refusal of anyone to come out openly and say, "Yes, there is an Order of the Phoenix" to make up this lie.

Lockhart was a right old fraud ... there probably was a Defense against the Dark Arts League ... probably like a bloody book club or something like that ... not really very important ... newsletters on new techniques ... yadda yadda

GryffindorKid
August 4th, 2005, 1:53 am
Sorry if this has been asked before but, what's a "Blood Tratior"?

Inkwolf
August 4th, 2005, 1:55 am
A pureblood who is accepting of Muggleborns and Muggles, I believe.

Lucybird
August 4th, 2005, 12:50 pm
6) on that note, hermione gets her teeth done, and another girl gets her acne treated, but why doesn't anyone else try to get themselves fixed up (ala plastic surgery)? eg. flitwick could make himself taller if he wanted to, umbridge could be less hideous, parents and older siblings could do all kinds of things

I have been thinking about something a liittle like this. I wondered if there is a spell for wizards to 'fix' their eyes, I'm suprised that so many wiizards wear glasses, if muggles can cure short or long sightedness (laser surgery) then I'm sure wizards could.

Sprout1962
August 4th, 2005, 3:54 pm
I think the circumstances have quite a bit to do with the magical "fixing" that goes on. Hermione's teeth got in the way of a curse or jinx, so magic was used to fix them. Hermione just let Madam Pomfrey correct them a little more than they were previously. Eloise Midgen tried to curse her acne off, so magic was used to try and reverse the effects of her curse. As we learned, Madam Pomfrey was ultimately able to get her nose reattached.

Bobotuber pus is a treatment for acne, sounds kind of like many of the medications found in a Muggle drugstore...

I think there must be some unwritten rule about using magic to reimage yourself for the sake of vanity. Otherwise, there would be no acne, no glasses, no buck teeth, no obesity, etc. in the wizarding world.

LYNNA
August 4th, 2005, 5:27 pm

I think HArry would have send them christmas card ( HArry wouldn't just forget about them, they raised him for 11 years after all) and he also informed them when he will be back for the summer holiday. THey have learnt a great deal from their first encounter with owls. So it was not a problem now

Terpsichore
August 4th, 2005, 6:14 pm
EDIT: No HBP spoilers or references in this area.

Tiphany
August 4th, 2005, 6:20 pm
I think there must be some unwritten rule about using magic to reimage yourself for the sake of vanity. Otherwise, there would be no acne, no glasses, no buck teeth, no obesity, etc. in the wizarding world.

Maybe you can do that kind of thing with magic, but you need to keep renewing the spells? The body is constantly renewing itself, old cells die and new ones form, so perhaps the magic has to be redone every so often to affect the new cells. Compare dying your hair in the muggle world; you dye the hair you have at that moment, but as it grows it grows back the original colour. If the magic worked like that, then people wouldn't use it unless they were really bothered, bothered enough to do it every day or week or whenever.

donkeymoo
August 5th, 2005, 2:20 pm
I have been thinking about something a liittle like this. I wondered if there is a spell for wizards to 'fix' their eyes, I'm suprised that so many wiizards wear glasses, if muggles can cure short or long sightedness (laser surgery) then I'm sure wizards could.
i agree!

Maybe you can do that kind of thing with magic, but you need to keep renewing the spells? The body is constantly renewing itself, old cells die and new ones form, so perhaps the magic has to be redone every so often to affect the new cells. Compare dying your hair in the muggle world; you dye the hair you have at that moment, but as it grows it grows back the original colour. If the magic worked like that, then people wouldn't use it unless they were really bothered, bothered enough to do it every day or week or whenever.
do you mean like having to take polyjuice potion regularly and stuff? that's an idea :tu:

Xanatos
August 5th, 2005, 3:40 pm
Howdy, Xanatos here (pronounced "Zanatos" for those curious), new to the forums, but been reading the books since Philosopher's Stone...and I have a question that I haven't seen answered yet (and yes, I've searched :eyebrows:) :

On the night of Voldermort's attack on the Potter's, are there two Avada Kedavra curses fired from Voldermort's wand, or are there three? It may seem like a weird question, but if it's the former, then that'd mean that Lily died in Voldermort's attempt to kill Harry, and that's when the curse rebounded on Voldermort, but if it's the latter, then that means that Lily was killed, then Voldermort issued a third Avada Kedavra curse that bounced off Harry's body for the reasons that have been theorized by Dumbledore. Though it may seem like the same outcome, think about this, if it's the former, then that means the curse never touched Harry's body, and, therefore, shouldn't have that lightning bolt scar on his forehead. If it's the latter, then that would mean that there was a literal protection that lingered...a sort of active "force field" that reflected the curse back on Voldermort...but that'd also imply that Harry could be similarly protected without the use of a blood sacrifice (i.e., having a "mother to die for him")...which could mean, that such protection would have lingered during Harry's third defiance of Voldermort during Goblet of Fire when Voldermort used Avada Kedavra again...right?

or am I reaching a bit too far?

I hope someone has some answers for me.

Gracias in advance...

Inkwolf
August 5th, 2005, 4:04 pm
Well, during the sequence when Voldemort's wand spit up, there was a separate spell for Lily and James each, and I assume there was a third for Harry (don't remember if that was reflected in the scene.)

Face it, Harry dodged the AK and survived. :evil:

But remember, just because they appear as bolts of light doesn NOT mean spells travel at light speed. They are not lazer beams.

DobbysBludger
August 5th, 2005, 5:03 pm
:welcome: Xanatos

If it's the latter, then that would mean that there was a literal protection that lingered...a sort of active "force field" that reflected the curse back on Voldermort...but that'd also imply that Harry could be similarly protected without the use of a blood sacrifice (i.e., having a "mother to die for him")...which could mean, that such protection would have lingered during Harry's third defiance of Voldermort during Goblet of Fire when Voldermort used Avada Kedavra again...right?

or am I reaching a bit too far?

I hope someone has some answers for me.

Gracias in advance...

The "force field" came about because of the blood sacrifice, an ancient magic recognised by both Dumbledore and Voldemort. We have been told that there is no (other) defence against Avada Kedavra so it cannot be possible to create an artificial "force field" - is that what your getting at.

In GoF, because Voldemort had used Harry's blood, he to now had some of that lingering protection which meant that he was able to physically touch Harry - which implies that Avada Kedavra would had worked but for the locking of the wands.

But, Harry has still returned to the Dursley's each summer since the events in the graveyard to renew the protection evoked by Dumbledore based on his Mother's sacrifice. So maybe Harry would have withstood the AK again.

Am I helping?

meriandmaddie
August 5th, 2005, 5:13 pm
I think that Harry's blood (with all its loving goodness) will eat away at voldemort. it may be powerful, but i don't think he is prepared for the side effects.

harry would not send them a christmas card. he spent all of his time trying to forget that they existed. i think it's more likely that hogwarts has a po box type thing or that they send owls to the parents of muggleborns to assist in the delivery.

RavenLH
August 5th, 2005, 5:54 pm
[Quote from RavenLH: I just woke up and for some reason the picture of Ron and Harry in their dress robes was stuck in my head and then I was feelinig sorry for Ron but then i remembered that Ron gets new one's from Harry Via Fred And George. Then i was thinking why would Ron need new one's They most certinally would not be having Parties with Voldemort on the loose so why do people normally get dressed up for. Weddings and Furnerals, or fancy dinner dates. if this sounds totataly werid please excuse me i am not a morning person and i just woke up. I can of cousres as in anything i say may be wrong.]
I wrote this before i read the books and now looking back at all my post since i've read the book i've relized that i was right Ron and Harry wore or will be wearing their dress robes for a wedding and a funeral, man i hate it when i'm right like this.

HaveAtYou
August 5th, 2005, 8:57 pm
Hi, this is my first post i'd like to ask for your opinions on these.

1.) When Harry breaks his glasses in knockturn alley through falling over when he came out of the fireplace after using floo powder, he meets Hermione and she mends them using magic, but she is underage at the time. why didnt she get contacted by the ministry of magic?

2.) Why do Harry and Malfoy hate each other so much? even in GOF Harry says they hate each other, but surely he knows the true meaning of hate because of voldemort and pettigrew, or is it just a strong dislike? and do you think Harry would save Malfoy's life like James (his father) did with Snape?

Lucybird
August 5th, 2005, 9:10 pm
Hi, this is my first post i'd like to ask for your opinions on these.

1.) When Harry breaks his glasses in knockturn alley through falling over when he came out of the fireplace after using floo powder, he meets Hermione and she mends them using magic, but she is underage at the time. why didnt she get contacted by the ministry of magic?

It isn't actually Hermione that fixes them, it's Arthur, Hermione only fixes them in the film

Oh and you should delete your last question as it is a HBP spoiler

HaveAtYou
August 5th, 2005, 9:17 pm
ah sorry, i saw the film after i read the book for the second time, i dont really like the films, they are quite inaccurate and the term 'based on the book' is VERY loose

Maryla114
August 5th, 2005, 9:23 pm

I've always wondered why Harry & Dumbledore, probably the two most powerful wizards in the books were the only ones who wore glasses. I understand though about magic not being used for shallow things like looks. If any witch or wizard could just change their looks with magic anytime they wanted, then why was it such a big deal for Tonks to be a metamorphmagus? Obviously beig able to change your looks is not as important to wizards as muggles. Maybe they are less shallow and have more things on their minds....

surrypotter
August 5th, 2005, 11:16 pm
I've always wondered why Harry & Dumbledore, probably the two most powerful wizards in the books were the only ones who wore glasses. I understand though about magic not being used for shallow things like looks. If any witch or wizard could just change their looks with magic anytime they wanted, then why was it such a big deal for Tonks to be a metamorphmagus? Obviously beig able to change your looks is not as important to wizards as muggles. Maybe they are less shallow and have more things on their minds....

doesn't mcgonny wear glasses ... is that canon ... or just in the movie?

HaveAtYou
August 5th, 2005, 11:34 pm
I dont believe Harry is a 'powerful' wizard, just a valiant and level-headed boy, who is a tad naive, but this works for him because his naivity works for him in some circumstances and turns into instinctiveness. also he has an eternal love in his favour which works for him. in his older days he will be dumbledore, but with many other strong attributes

AshtrayGirl
August 5th, 2005, 11:41 pm
I've always wondered why Harry & Dumbledore, probably the two most powerful wizards in the books were the only ones who wore glasses.

Harrry is not that powerful at all. He fails several time and is just a tad bit too arrogant. Snape and McGonagall are way more powerful than him. Still. I guess it could change, but not yet.

surrypotter
August 5th, 2005, 11:49 pm
Harrry is not that powerful at all. He fails several time and is just a tad bit too arrogant. Snape and McGonagall are way more powerful than him. Still. I guess it could change, but not yet.

I think HP is more powerful than any one could predict ... however ... I think that he hasn't really tapped into it correctly which is why DD's always telling him that the greatest power is LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE ... HELLO HARRY .... ARE YOU GETTING THIS ... LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!!

Inkwolf
August 6th, 2005, 12:29 am
doesn't mcgonny wear glasses ... is that canon ... or just in the movie?

Yes, she wears square-rimmed glasses that become part of her facial markings when she turns into a cat.

surrypotter
August 6th, 2005, 12:32 am
Yes, she wears square-rimmed glasses that become part of her facial markings when she turns into a cat.

maybe the whole "basic human fault" theory applies as well to wizards then, i mean ... if they could they would obviously "fix" these faults ... but obviously magic can't do everything

Inky ... you're like american express ... everywhere i wanna be!!!!

Inkwolf
August 6th, 2005, 12:51 am
Heh, heh, heh....Yeeeees, I'm watching you....everywhere you gooo... :evil:

Just coincidence, really. :D

surrypotter
August 6th, 2005, 1:11 am
Heh, heh, heh....Yeeeees, I'm watching you....everywhere you gooo... :evil:

Just coincidence, really. :D

LOL ... I never would have believed otherwise !!!!!! You have terrific insight ... and I enjoy tossing things out at you since you pick through them so thoroughly

Xanatos
August 6th, 2005, 2:55 am
:welcome: Xanatos

The "force field" came about because of the blood sacrifice, an ancient magic recognised by both Dumbledore and Voldemort. We have been told that there is no (other) defence against Avada Kedavra so it cannot be possible to create an artificial "force field" - is that what your getting at.No, good sir, I'm fairly confident in agreeing with you that such an artificial means is quite unlikely. I know that the "force field" (as I so...eloquently put it) was a direct result of the blood sacrifice (and the ancient magic that Dumbledore used in conjunction with it as far as his living relatives are concerned), but my question was whether or not the field manifested before Voldermort's powers broke (which would mean that there was a third Avada Kedavra curse fired from his wand) or afterwards (which would mean that there were only two curses used and Vodermort's power broke after Lily died to protect Harry).

In GoF, because Voldemort had used Harry's blood, he to now had some of that lingering protection which meant that he was able to physically touch Harry - which implies that Avada Kedavra would had worked but for the locking of the wands.Yeah, I meant to add the hypothetical situation in which Voldermort never used Harry's blood to regain his body.

But, Harry has still returned to the Dursley's each summer since the events in the graveyard to renew the protection evoked by Dumbledore based on his Mother's sacrifice. So maybe Harry would have withstood the AK again.

Am I helping?Indeed. Gracias.

surrypotter
August 6th, 2005, 3:05 am
No, good sir, I'm fairly confident in agreeing with you that such an artificial means is quite unlikely. I know that the "force field" (as I so...eloquently put it) was a direct result of the blood sacrifice (and the ancient magic that Dumbledore used in conjunction with it as far as his living relatives are concerned), but my question was whether or not the field manifested before Voldermort's powers broke (which would mean that there was a third Avada Kedavra curse fired from his wand) or afterwards (which would mean that there were only two curses used and Vodermort's power broke after Lily died to protect Harry).

I think we're fairly certain that there was a third AK or Harry wouldn't have had the "lightening bolt scar"

Airabeth
August 6th, 2005, 6:16 am
If Lupin spent his summers in Sweden or some Northen place, would he have to worry about transforming so much? Considering that the days are so long at that time of the year, I think this could be a welcome retreat for him. Any thoughts?

Orestia
August 6th, 2005, 2:32 pm
It doesn't necessarily have to be dark night for the moon to rise. I'm not sure but I think that it's just the sun that doesn't go down properly ... or however you want to express the kind of thing that happesn there ;-) But the moon still rises, I think, so ... bad luck for Remus *sighs*

Mr_Rogue
August 6th, 2005, 2:37 pm
I've a little problem because of the understanding of a word. I'm a french guy and I read an english version of Harry Potter for the first time.
At the beginning of the half-blood prince, Fred and Georges did a joke on their shop with U-No-Poo. :huh:
I don't understand what that mind. Can you help me plz ?

surrypotter
August 6th, 2005, 4:37 pm
If Lupin spent his summers in Sweden or some Northen place, would he have to worry about transforming so much? Considering that the days are so long at that time of the year, I think this could be a welcome retreat for him. Any thoughts?

haven't you ever seen the moon in the sky on an overcast day? i don't think it would matter much ... a full moon is a full moon ... whether you see it at night or during the day

I've a little problem because of the understanding of a word. I'm a french guy and I read an english version of Harry Potter for the first time.
At the beginning of the half-blood prince, Fred and Georges did a joke on their shop with U-No-Poo. :huh:

u-no-poo = constipation

Dedalus Diggle
August 6th, 2005, 5:25 pm
You get a full moon when the sun, the Earth, and the moon are in line, with the moon on the far side of the earth from the sun; the length of daylight will not affect it. Now, you also only get a lunar eclipse during a full moon (based on perfect collinearity), so I'm wondering if during a lunar eclipse he reverts back to Lupin for a few minutes and then becomes a werewolf again - wow, what a bummer!

U- (you)
No- (don't, or can't, basically negation)
Poo (playful or childish term for defecation)

It also plays on You-Know-Who, the most common way for most people to refer to Voldemort.

Mr_Rogue
August 7th, 2005, 1:41 pm
U- (you)
No- (don't, or can't, basically negation)
Poo (playful or childish term for defecation)

It also plays on You-Know-Who, the most common way for most people to refer to Voldemort.

Thanks for your help. :tu:

Orestia
August 9th, 2005, 10:25 am
Okay, question: Sirius was supposed to have betrayed Lily and James. Why the hell did Hagrid borrow his motorbike then? Or didn't he suspect him then? Or had he already borrowed it before 'that faithful night' and just hadn't returned it yet? I mean ... it's strange.

ComicBookWorm
August 9th, 2005, 10:35 am
Okay, question: Sirius was supposed to have betrayed Lily and James. Why the hell did Hagrid borrow his motorbike then? Or didn't he suspect him then? Or had he already borrowed it before 'that faithful night' and just hadn't returned it yet? I mean ... it's strange.
They didn't think that Sirius had done anything wrong yet. It was the next day when Peter faked his own death, killed a bunch of muggles, and framed Sirius for all of it.

Orestia
August 9th, 2005, 10:41 am
They didn't think that Sirius had done anything wrong yet. It was the next day when Peter faked his own death, killed a bunch of muggles, and framed Sirius for all of it.

Errr ... aaah ... well ... yeah. So until then nobody knew about the existence of the Fidelius charm at all? *scratches her head*

ComicBookWorm
August 9th, 2005, 11:02 am
Errr ... aaah ... well ... yeah. So until then nobody knew about the existence of the Fidelius charm at all? *scratches her head*
They didn't know how the Potter's had been betrayed at that point, or exactly what had happened. And only Dumbledore knew about the Fidelius charm, anyway.

"There, now, Minerva," said Fudge kindly, "Pettigrew died a hero's death. Eyewitnesses -- Muggles, of course, we wiped their, memories later -- told us how Pettigrew cornered Black. They say he was sobbing, 'Lily and James, Sirius! How could you?' And then he went for his wand. Well, of course, Black was quicker. Blew Pettigrew to smithereens...."

Lucybird
August 9th, 2005, 12:35 pm
I don't think they knew until DD told them, which was after Sirius was arrested, so when Hagrid borrowed the motorbike he thought Sirius was trying to help

Inkwolf
August 9th, 2005, 2:29 pm
Anyway, this is sweet, trusting Hagrid we're talking about.

surrypotter
August 9th, 2005, 2:36 pm
Anyway, this is sweet, trusting Hagrid we're talking about.

That's true ... but Sirius had also been working for the Order .. there was no reason for Hagrid NOT to trust him ... and it was only through WT's setup that he became untrustworthy.

I'm a bit surprised that DD didn't go visit him at Azkaban ... and find out what really happened with all his legilimancy skills ... or maybe he did and couldn't do anything about it until there was proof?

DAWeasley
August 9th, 2005, 7:41 pm
Sorry bout that, wasnt paying much attention thanks. I deleted it. Meant no harm.

TheElemental
August 9th, 2005, 9:04 pm
I agree with <b>surrypotter</b>. Dumbledore <i>definately</i> knew that Hagrid is innocent. But, he needed proof for others to understand him... Do I make sense?

Taking about DD visiting Azkaban, I wonder what DD hears/feels when he meets a dementor... Or, what his boggart is...

surrypotter
August 10th, 2005, 1:29 am
I agree with <b>surrypotter</b>. Dumbledore <i>definately</i> knew that Hagrid is innocent. But, he needed proof for others to understand him... Do I make sense?

Taking about DD visiting Azkaban, I wonder what DD hears/feels when he meets a dementor... Or, what his boggart is...

I'd bet that DD relives his fight with Grindewalde (sp) ... hos boggart ... probably the same ... or maybe wool socks ... who knows.

But yeah ...I'd have to say that there was a LOT that DD knew that he never let on that he knew ...

for example: *said in her best hermione voice* How did he know to come back to hogwarts in PS/SS before he'd even gotten to the Ministry?

i'm SURE he knew how Sirius was getting into Hogwarts ... but why did seem to be upset about it ... but obviously allow it?

etc etc

Miss_Magic
August 10th, 2005, 4:24 am
Hey! I was just wondering if anyone else noticed that Harry's patronus, a stag, was the animal James could transfom into. I was thinking maybe(somehow, someway, in a wild universe) James is "watching over him" you could say. I don't know I just thought this fact was interesting.

Lash Dresden
August 10th, 2005, 4:44 am
Your patronus and your animagus form are things you have no control over. Both are determined on what kind of person you are, your personality, etc. The point of Harry's patronus being the same as James' animagus form is that Harry not only looks like James - he's a lot like his father in other ways also.

haha
August 10th, 2005, 11:10 pm
Your patronus and your animagus form are things you have no control over. Both are determined on what kind of person you are, your personality, etc. The point of Harry's patronus being the same as James' animagus form is that Harry not only looks like James - he's a lot like his father in other ways also.
It might also be from the fact that he wants to be with his dad. We know that our feelings towards another person can affect our patronus.

Melis_Arg
August 12th, 2005, 2:00 am
Does anyone know what "Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus" means... I have the books in spanish and it didn't appear there untill the 5th...
I'm not sure this is the place to ask...

marspeach
August 12th, 2005, 2:09 am
Does anyone know what "Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus" means... I have the books in spanish and it didn't appear there untill the 5th...
I'm not sure this is the place to ask...

Never tickle a sleeping dragon.

Melis_Arg
August 12th, 2005, 2:33 am
really?? it means that??? and why is it placed like a very important thing? I mean... it's under the Howart's (escudo- I don't know how it's said in english :S)
I thought it would be something more interesting....

KristynM
August 12th, 2005, 3:41 am
Perhaps it is interesting. This has been discussed in depth already, but I'll sum it up here.

JKR as we know likes to put symbolism in the series. Things represent other things, like metaphors. Some people believe that the sleeping dragon may be evil and don't go poking around because it will bring, well, evil. But take it as you want, think about it as you want.

As for myself, I believe that it is just JKR being goofy. :)

TaraBrady
August 12th, 2005, 3:47 am
really?? it means that??? and why is it placed like a very important thing? I mean... it's under the Howart's (escudo- I don't know how it's said in english :S)
I thought it would be something more interesting....
:lol: Well, it's very sound advice, really.

Actually, there's a whole Mugglenet editorail on the Hogwarts motto: Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus: A Mere Proverb or an Important Clue? (http://www.mugglenet.com/editorials/editorials/edit-kenda01.shtml) Apparently, some people think it may be very important.

In English, we call the symbol over the Hogwarts motto a crest.

Edit: Sorry, KristynM, missed your post. What she said ^

canadianhermy
August 12th, 2005, 4:14 am
What does Madame Houch do at Hogwarts?? I mean it is obvious she teaches the first years how to fly in that one lesson but I mean she can't just do that can she??

DobbysBludger
August 12th, 2005, 2:29 pm
What does Madame Houch do at Hogwarts?? I mean it is obvious she teaches the first years how to fly in that one lesson but I mean she can't just do that can she??

Well hey, she does have to referee 6 Quidditch matches a year, unless a teacher insists on refereeing instead. Also if a particular Quidditch player is deemed to be under threat then she has to oversee practice sessions as well. She may well have the administrative job of looking after bookings of the Quidditch pitch for practice sessions. Then there's keeping the balls in good repair, I'm sure that snitch is a devil to polish.

It's a hard job but someone's got to do it.

Of course for a little extra pin money, she may act as a scout for one or two of the league teams.

Genetrix
August 13th, 2005, 1:26 am
How did they administer the Mandrake draught to Sir Nicholas?

Inkwolf
August 13th, 2005, 3:59 am
Interesting question! :lol:

Maybe they had to douse him with a spray can...the way Willy Wonka had to douse the Minuses with aging solution in Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator. :rotfl:

ProfBanaticus
August 13th, 2005, 4:11 am
What does Madame Houch do at Hogwarts?Most every school has an athletic director. The school probably has other sports than Quidditch. Such as Wallyball (volleyball played on a raquetball court, walls are legal to play off). She's probably also responsible for getting students to try to stay fit, etc. The remark about getting some extra money acting as a scout for a proper league team is probably right on the money too.

Lucybird
August 13th, 2005, 7:44 pm

Well it is suggested in PS/SS that there are flying lessons (Plural) so maybe we just don't see the others because Harry doesn't have to go as he can fly already, I guess those who couldn't fly had to have more lessons, like Hermione for instance

hobbitseeker
August 13th, 2005, 10:31 pm
How did they administer the Mandrake draught to Sir Nicholas?

There's a whole thread devoted to this subject. You can find it here:

How was Nearly headless Nick Unpetrified? (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=44350)

Hope this helps! :)

Miss_Magic
August 14th, 2005, 1:59 am
This is a kinda weird question but what would you call the child of a squib and a pure-blood wizard?

coolrthnu
August 14th, 2005, 2:35 am
This is a kinda weird question but what would you call the child of a squib and a pure-blood wizard?

i think it depends on what the squib is(half-blood or pureblood) and then the child would be pureblood if the squib is and a half-blood if the squib is.

note:this is just a guess so i could be completely wrong. feel free to criticize.

haha
August 14th, 2005, 2:50 am
Jk said that it depends on the grandparents of the child, and my guesses is based on this. Since one of the parents is a pureblood, then on that side, the child's grandparents would be purebloods. Now if the squib's parents were purebloods, then I'm guessing the child would be considered pureblood. If the squib's parents were however half-bloods or muggles then the child would be considered a half-blood.

Genetrix
August 14th, 2005, 6:15 am
There's a whole thread devoted to this subject. You can find it here:

How was Nearly headless Nick Unpetrified?

Hope this helps!

Yes! Thank you very much. =D

FluffyEarmuffs
August 14th, 2005, 1:14 pm
Ive just been reading philosophers stone again, and I was wondering wether Quirrell had taught at Hogwarts the year before Harry started as well. I know that it has been stated that no DADA teachers have stayed for longer than a year, but when Hagrid greets Quirrell in the leaky couldren, he appears to know him already. When Harry mentions Quirrell to Percy, Percy says "Oh, so you know Quirrell already?", which made me believe that Percy knew him too, and during the start of term announcements, Dumbledore makes no reference to any new teachers like he usually does. I was wondering if perhaps Quirrell has taught for the last part of the previous year, or if it is just a mistake.

Tiberius
August 14th, 2005, 1:24 pm
it's possible that Hagrid, being a staff member at hogwarts, was aware of who would be teaching. Also, Quirrel seems to be the sort of person who'd have connections at the Ministry, so it's possible that Arthur knew Quirrel would be teaching adn was able to pass that information onto his family.

hobbitseeker
August 15th, 2005, 12:24 am
Quirrell might have also taught a different subject at Hogwarts before becoming the DADA professor.

Inkwolf
August 15th, 2005, 12:34 am
I got the impression he was teaching DADA before...Hagrid said that he had been okay when he was teaching out of books, but that he had decided to go out for some real-life experience and come back all shaken up. The funny thing is, Hagrid spoke as if Quirrel had already been teaching in his shaken-up state, too.

Someone's gotta ask JKR about this...though she could always say that Voldemort was able to override his own jinx, or that the Quirrel who came back wasn't quite the same person as the Quirrel who taught before...

pegnip123
August 15th, 2005, 3:16 am
I was just wondering in GOF why it said that Dumbledore looked triumphant after Harry told him Voldemort was able to touch him again. I really didn't understand why!

brittypie
August 15th, 2005, 3:49 am
I was just wondering in GOF why it said that Dumbledore looked triumphant after Harry told him Voldemort was able to touch him again. I really didn't understand why!

I don't think anyone knows for sure, but there is a separate thread that deals with this question: New theories on Dumbledore's "Look of Triumph"! (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=16076&page=1&highlight=dumbledore+triumphant)

Turgon01
August 15th, 2005, 1:25 pm
I think it was because he was proud of Voldemort. Not actually proud as he is with Harry, but more of a smirk-proud. He realises that Tom is a great wizard, extremely powerful, even if he is rather... evil... Say you're a teacher, and one of your old students that you weren't actually a fan of but you helped contribute to his teaching managed to get into a very prestigious college, wouldn't you be somewhat proud?

DobbysBludger
August 15th, 2005, 6:30 pm
I got the impression he was teaching DADA before...Hagrid said that he had been okay when he was teaching out of books, but that he had decided to go out for some real-life experience and come back all shaken up. The funny thing is, Hagrid spoke as if Quirrel had already been teaching in his shaken-up state, too.

Yes I agree, my thinking was that he taught a year two years before Harry arrived (hence Percy's knowledge of him), then took a year's sabbatical to travel and get his real-life experience (maybe encouraged by Dumbledore, as a way to keep a DADA teacher without breaking the curse). This sabbatical was cut short during the year after Quirrel stumbled across Vapourmort (sorry, had his run in with some vampires), and so Quirrel reappeared during the academic year prior to Harry joining but didn't retake up his post due to nerves/Hogwarts still had the substitute teacher (hence Hagrid's knowledge of Quirrel nervous state).

Lucybird
August 15th, 2005, 8:48 pm
Maybe Quirrell taught for a year, then went to do some 'practical' study. Then came back (this is when he taught Harry) that way he only stayed for a year at a time, and percy would have been at the school the first time he taught

TheElemental
August 16th, 2005, 12:59 am
That is a good solution... Maybe he was the TA (Teaching Assitant) for the previous DADA teacher, but then, Dumbledore would definately have announced if he was a TA the year before and he was promoted to Instructor. But then, he also would have announced if he taught for a year, went away for a year (or more) and returned. Dumbledore would have said at the sorting something like: 'Please welcome our beloved teacher back to Hogwarts, Professor Quirrell." *applause...*

Hmmm...

KristynM
August 16th, 2005, 2:23 am
I have actually never thought of this before. Now since it has come to my attention, it really bothers me! The one thing that I could think of is if Dumbledore did mention it when Harry was talking to other people at the table and Harry just never took notice.

That is one way to explain JKR's (possible) mistake!

Chickenfeed
August 17th, 2005, 5:12 am
Hey, one of my friends just asked me this, and I realised I had never even thought of it before. It may not be important, and I don't know if it has already been mentioned, but here goes:

What happened to Voldwemorts body after he killed the Potters?

We know the AK curse rebounded and ripped him from his body, so I assume that means his body is dead. But what happened to it. Is it still in the remains of the Potter house decomposing? Was it buried? If so, where?

MetallicA
August 17th, 2005, 9:48 am
Minerva: You two are stupid.
LOL, that made me laugh.

Evik
August 17th, 2005, 12:10 pm
Hey, one of my friends just asked me this, and I realised I had never even thought of it before. It may not be important, and I don't know if it has already been mentioned, but here goes:

What happened to Voldwemorts body after he killed the Potters?

We know the AK curse rebounded and ripped him from his body, so I assume that means his body is dead. But what happened to it. Is it still in the remains of the Potter house decomposing? Was it buried? If so, where?
That's an interesting question and to be honest I have never thought of that either.
His body was defiantely not buried. Who would do that?
But in GoF he RETURNED to his body, so...it probably wasn't destroyed or something.
As LV was abandoned by all DEs after this event I suppose nobody took his body somewhere.
What if he just shrinked?

Machiavelli
August 17th, 2005, 1:58 pm
That's an interesting question and to be honest I have never thought of that either.
His body was defiantely not buried. Who would do that?
But in GoF he RETURNED to his body, so...it probably wasn't destroyed or something.
As LV was abandoned by all DEs after this event I suppose nobody took his body somewhere.
What if he just shrinked?In GoF Voldemort created a new body didn't he? One based on the rather nasty ingredients of Harry's blood, Riddle's dust, and Pettigrew's hand? I didn't think he conjured his old body which, if it did survive the original blast, would hardly be in top condition by then...

Tiberius
August 17th, 2005, 2:05 pm
Bodies normally survive the AK curse. the riddle family at the beginning of GoF did, and cedric's body did as well. AK is, in fact, noted for leaving no marks.

KristynM
August 17th, 2005, 4:31 pm
Sure, there are no marks on it, but after 14 years it must be very decomposed and gross looking, so I doubt he returned to his own body unless if Avada Kedavra also preserves the body like a mummy, which I doubt it does.

I figure that his body was left behind and only his soul fled. The body was probably taken care of by some government official wizards, just like the remains of Godric's Hollow were probably taken care of.

Hanakimi
August 17th, 2005, 5:18 pm
um...this question has been bugging so... how come they didn't use a timeturner to go back and stop Voldemort when he was younger???sorry if this question has already been asked...:)

DobbysBludger
August 17th, 2005, 5:35 pm
Sure, there are no marks on it, but after 14 years it must be very decomposed and gross looking, so I doubt he returned to his own body unless if Avada Kedavra also preserves the body like a mummy, which I doubt it does.

I figure that his body was left behind and only his soul fled. The body was probably taken care of by some government official wizards, just like the remains of Godric's Hollow were probably taken care of.

Yes. But, in GoF wouldn't Fudge had said something along the lines:

"But he can't be back Dumbledore, we found his body."

Its a tricky one because wizards, good and Dark, appear to have assumed he was gone, not that he was definitately gone. And assuming JK's "no comment" about whether someone was with him, implies there was. Wouldn't this Death Eater confirmed, at least, to the others that they saw Voldemort's dead body?

TaraBrady
August 17th, 2005, 5:42 pm
um...this question has been bugging so... how come they didn't use a timeturner to go back and stop Voldemort when he was younger???sorry if this question has already been asked...:)There's some good information on Time Turners in Time Travel and the Time Turner: Questions and Ponderance v.3 (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=58190) and Why not use the Time-Turner to stop Voldemort? (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=4239)

It seems like there are some pretty strict limitations on how the time turner can be used. For example, in PoA, when Hermione misses a class (I think charms?) she can't go back to the start of the class anymore at that point, because she had already talked to Harry and Ron, and they had missed her. So going back would mess with the timeline too much. Does that make sense?

Hanakimi
August 17th, 2005, 5:43 pm
yes, it makes perfect sense now!thanks;)

Hermione Snape
August 18th, 2005, 4:50 pm
I have a question to ask.

I haven't got time to trawl through 20 pages so I am sorry if this has already been dealt with before.

Why did Snape only threaten Hermione with Suspension in PoA in the Shrieking Shack and not with Expulsion?

I only ask this is because she had in fact broken several rules. All more dangerous by far than a flying car. If it was Harry or Ron who spoke at that moment it would surely have been Pack Your Bags Potter, or You Know Where Your Home is Weasley Stay There! It's just been irritating me a little, and a lot since I read HBP?

Machiavelli
August 18th, 2005, 6:01 pm
I have a question to ask.

I haven't got time to trawl through 20 pages so I am sorry if this has already been dealt with before.

Why did Snape only threaten Hermione with Suspension in PoA in the Shrieking Shack and not with Expulsion?

I only ask this is because she had in fact broken several rules. All more dangerous by far than a flying car. If it was Harry or Ron who spoke at that moment it would surely have been Pack Your Bags Potter, or You Know Where Your Home is Weasley Stay There! It's just been irritating me a little, and a lot since I read HBP?I would imagine it's because Snape is far harder on Harry than on any other student. He has insulted Hermione many times, but he hasn't punished her (that I remember). Harry however reminds Snape of James, and Snape feels James was an arrogant rule breaker - so he applies that characterisation to Harry as well. Perhaps Snape justifies himself by thinking he's teaching Harry a lesson that needs learning - perhaps not.

Lucybird
August 18th, 2005, 6:30 pm
I would imagine it's because Snape is far harder on Harry than on any other student. He has insulted Hermione many times, but he hasn't punished her (that I remember). Harry however reminds Snape of James, and Snape feels James was an arrogant rule breaker - so he applies that characterisation to Harry as well. Perhaps Snape justifies himself by thinking he's teaching Harry a lesson that needs learning - perhaps not.

Also maybe he thought that Hermione wouldn't be expelled, she's one of the brightest students and he knows that, the teachers generally wouldn't want to expell her if they could get away with it

polocub1429
August 19th, 2005, 10:20 am
I don't know if this was answered, or has been asked before (I don't want to search through 20 pages), but why didn't Lupin let Hermione fight the boggart in PoA? I'm re-reading the book right now, and I thought that the answer must be obvious - but I racked my brains and I couldn't think of a single possibility! The only people who didn't fight the boggart were Harry and Hermione, and Lupin said that it was "because they answered questions correctly at the beginning of class." We later find out that he wouldn't let Harry fight it because he thought it would become Voldemort, but why stop Hermione? It was never explained! Why wouldn't she be able to have a try? What is she afraid of? I remember she faced it for the test and saw Prof. McGonagall telling her she'd failed everything - but why not let her try the first time?

I dunno, it just seems weird.

Tiberius
August 19th, 2005, 10:38 am
I think she just didn't get around to it. I just flicked through the scene, and there was no mention of lupin stepping in to stop hermione from facing the boggart. perhaps hermione was just standing at the back and Lupin didn't see her or something.

DobbysBludger
August 19th, 2005, 12:25 pm
I think she just didn't get around to it. I just flicked through the scene, and there was no mention of lupin stepping in to stop hermione from facing the boggart. perhaps hermione was just standing at the back and Lupin didn't see her or something.

Agreed. It could be that she was due to be up next, when Lupin saw that it was near Harry and decided to step in and then to let Neville finish off the job, rather than have the Boggart encounter Harry again.

GodricHollow
August 19th, 2005, 1:11 pm
And also Lupin probably didn't want to hurt her feelings, I mean, your wost fear is that you've failed all your exams? I'd be very embarressed to tell anyone that.

Could probably happen to me next Thursday but I'm not thinking about that...

BublGumPnkHar
August 19th, 2005, 5:32 pm
I don't know if this was answered, or has been asked before (I don't want to search through 20 pages), but why didn't Lupin let Hermione fight the boggart in PoA? I'm re-reading the book right now, and I thought that the answer must be obvious - but I racked my brains and I couldn't think of a single possibility! The only people who didn't fight the boggart were Harry and Hermione, and Lupin said that it was "because they answered questions correctly at the beginning of class." We later find out that he wouldn't let Harry fight it because he thought it would become Voldemort, but why stop Hermione? It was never explained! Why wouldn't she be able to have a try? What is she afraid of? I remember she faced it for the test and saw Prof. McGonagall telling her she'd failed everything - but why not let her try the first time?

I dunno, it just seems weird.

Maybe Lupin wanted to have an excuse not to let Harry fight the boggart. Hermoine had already answered a question and even though she had her hand in the air, again, Lupin says "Have you spotted it, Harry?" I think that he saw he could get over the "Voldemort the Boggart" problem by calling on Harry and then not needing either one of his "question answerers" to actually face the boggart, because they had already "earned their points". He probably was surprised at the end of the year, when Hermoine had such a strong reaction to the boggart.

anabel
August 19th, 2005, 6:03 pm
And also Lupin probably didn't want to hurt her feelings, I mean, your wost fear is that you've failed all your exams? I'd be very embarressed to tell anyone that.It was their first lesson. I don't think he knew Hermione well enough to calculate what her boggart would be. But I do think he was trying to make it less obvious that he had stopped Harry - the other kids didn't seem to notice that so it seems to have worked.

Good luck with your exam results!

haha
August 19th, 2005, 11:19 pm
Could probably happen to me next Thursday but I'm not thinking about that...
Good Luck! I just finished my exams and have been getting them back. Some of them I didn't do as well as I'd hope but at least I didn't fail 'fail', if you know what I mean. Of course my definition of fail might be a little different to Hermione's definition of fail :lol: I know because there's a Hermione like person in my grade, as I imagine there is in every grade.

hitesh_7
August 20th, 2005, 4:51 pm
one question, Remember in OotP when Ginny comes to give Harry his easter egg, why exactly did harry get a lump in his throat. What was the significance of him feeling so bad?

Genetrix
August 20th, 2005, 5:08 pm
one question, Remember in OotP when Ginny comes to give Harry his easter egg, why exactly did harry get a lump in his throat. What was the significance of him feeling so bad?
Hmm, I can't find it. Do you know what page it's on?

EDIT: Okay, I found it. I think Harry's emotions just finally caught up with him, when Ginny made the nice gesture of offering him the chocolate... Emotions from Cho, from Snape, from Dumbledore leaving, anger at Umbridge, confusion because he doesn't know what to do, he's missing Sirius, and then the chocolate pushed him over the edge (at the end of the book he almost starts crying as Mrs. Weasley hugs him because he feels like he has a mother; and of course the chocolate was from her). It might also be him beginning to fall for Ginny--when you're very comfortable around someone, sometimes you tend to open up to them more, even if you don't want to.

EDIT AGAIN: *Looks down* anabel said in like under 20 words what it took me forever to type.

anabel
August 20th, 2005, 5:14 pm
one question, Remember in OotP when Ginny comes to give Harry his easter egg, why exactly did harry get a lump in his throat. What was the significance of him feeling so bad?Have you ever been having a tough time, and then someone is unexpectedly nice to you and it makes you want to cry? I have.

There is another interpretation though. Someone somewhere has suggested that Voldemort and Harry were more closely linked than we thought and that many of Harry's emotions that year were actually Voldemort's. So it ws Voldemort who got a lump in his throat, because no one had ever given him chocolate before. I don't buy it, but it's an interesting theory.

hitesh_7
August 20th, 2005, 5:19 pm
it's on page 654-655 of the american version. chapter 29 - career advice

surrypotter
August 21st, 2005, 12:41 am
i know this has been asked .. but i'm doing a re-read of book one ... and well .. it took me 20 minutes just to find this thread ... so bear with me.

I'm wondering why, at the beginning of PS/SS Quirrell was able to shake Harry's hand without the burning ... or whatnot ... what changed when Quirrell was in front of the Mirror of Erised?

TaraBrady
August 21st, 2005, 2:21 am
Quirrell wasn't possessed by Voldemort then; that didn't happen until he failed at stealing the Stone from Gringotts.

The movie tends to cause a lot of confusion with that scene; in the film, Quirrell is already wearing his turban in the Leakey Cauldron, and makes a point of not shaking Harry's hand, so it makes it seem like there's a mistake in the book.

surrypotter
August 21st, 2005, 2:23 am
Quirrell wasn't possessed by Voldemort then; that didn't happen until he failed at stealing the Stone from Gringotts.

The movie tends to cause a lot of confusion with that scene; in the film, Quirrell is already wearing his turban in the Leakey Cauldron, and makes a point of not shaking Harry's hand, so it makes it seem like there's a mistake in the book.

Thank you for clearing that up ... I suppose somewhere in the DD synopsis it points that out ... but I hadn't quite gotten there again yet ... sankie sankie much :)

pensie
August 22nd, 2005, 1:52 am
I have a question that it seems to me I should have been able to find the answer to, so please forgive me for asking!

On more than one occasion, I have read and heard mention of there being a scene in one of the early books (probably book 3) that was some sort of flashback to the night in Godric's Hollow when Harry's parents were killed. I have searched this discussion and couldn't find it (I am rather terrible at searches - I get frustrated very easily). I even skimmed book 3 again to see if I could find, but to no avail.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please? I would appreciate it ever so much! :)

Thanks in advance ~ pensie

surrypotter
August 22nd, 2005, 1:57 am
I have a question that it seems to me I should have been able to find the answer to, so please forgive me for asking!

On more than one occasion, I have read and heard mention of there being a scene in one of the early books (probably book 3) that was some sort of flashback to the night in Godric's Hollow when Harry's parents were killed. I have searched this discussion and couldn't find it (I am rather terrible at searches - I get frustrated very easily). I even skimmed book 3 again to see if I could find, but to no avail.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please? I would appreciate it ever so much! :)

Thanks in advance ~ pensie

the only flashback that i can think of is the one from the movie ... i don't recall ... unless it's one of harry's dreams ... or when he sees a dementor for the first time. i'm re-reading the whole series right now ... if i come across it ... i'll post it for you.