Little HP Questions Answered v2

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9

Freaky
September 21st, 2005, 1:34 pm
o.k,
here's my little question....

(forgive me if i've not picked the corect terminology - i dont want to offend anyone)

my husband i have just been re-watching the films and he asked whether you knew that the non-caucasion students were described as being so in the books and if so how jk worded it. now i always assumed that cho chang was asian (probably chinese) and the patel sisters either indian or pakastani - purely based on their names, but i remember being aware of angelina johnstone (sp?) and dean thomas being black but cant remember anything specific describing them as such. i saw the film of philosiphers stone before i read the books so maybe it was just a subconscious influence of the casting. but i'm not sure....
again, i dont want to offend anyone with this question, its not a comment on the ethnicity of the charcters, merely a curiosity about the descriptions in the books....

:)
The filmmakers actually asked Jo about Dean Thomas and she said that he is mixed race, or black. Can't remember the actual description. I don't think he is ever described in the book but they have got him right in the film.

I have a several burning questions:

What happened to the rewards for catching the escaped DeathEater prisoners from Azkaban? On the posters it said there was an 10,000 L reward for catching them and about 9 of them were waiting for the Aurors, after having been encircled by Dumbledore's Anti-Apparation spell. Shouldn't that mean the members of the Order and Dumbledore's Army should've split the reward between them?

Obviously not important enough to be mentioned! I would be surprised if Fudge would have paid them, but if he did then maybe the Order has their own "account" like charities and organisations do.

Machiavelli
September 21st, 2005, 1:44 pm
The filmmakers actually asked Jo about Dean Thomas and she said that he is mixed race, or black. Can't remember the actual description. I don't think he is ever described in the book but they have got him right in the film.Don't have the book at my elbow, but I do believe in PS Dean is stated outright as black as is Angelina.

anabel
September 21st, 2005, 1:59 pm
Don't have the book at my elbow, but I do believe in PS Dean is stated outright as black as is Angelina.No, I don't think he is. That information came out on the website. Angelina's race isn't outrightly stated until OotP, but her hairstyle is commented on in GoF - lots of long braids.

Mundungus Fletc
September 21st, 2005, 2:11 pm
Dean is described as black in the Anerican edition of the first book though his race is not mentioned in the British edition. Can't remember where I saw this and to be honest can't be bothered to find out

anabel
September 21st, 2005, 2:17 pm
Dean is described as black in the Anerican edition of the first book though his race is not mentioned in the British edition. Can't remember where I saw this and to be honest can't be bothered to find outThat would explain it, although it poses the question of why the American editor was more concerned about his race than the British editor! :huh:

Mundungus Fletc
September 21st, 2005, 2:23 pm
I recall reading that the British editor took it out as being irrelevant.

ComicBookWorm
September 21st, 2005, 2:26 pm
That would explain it, although it poses the question of why the American editor was more concerned about his race than the British editor! :huh:
That's easy to undertand from this side of the pond. We are obsessed with race here.

Machiavelli
September 21st, 2005, 2:30 pm
Makes sense to me. That's why I wasn't sure on the citation as well - first read the book in the American version!

Mundungus Fletc
September 21st, 2005, 2:38 pm
The info on Dean is from the extras on JKR's website

Adara84
September 21st, 2005, 2:56 pm
I got so curious, that I had to look it up. Found this on a webpage (http://www.uta.fi/FAST/US1/REF/potter.html):

From the UK edition. Page 91:
...three people left to be sorted. 'Turpin, Lisa' became

From the US edition. Page 122:
...three people left to be sorted. "Thomas, Dean," a Black boy even taller than Ron, joined Harry at the Gryffindor table. "Turpin, Liisa" became

Interesting change I think :huh:

chakrateez
September 21st, 2005, 4:47 pm
That's easy to undertand from this side of the pond. We are obsessed with race here.

That just goes to show you how much we Americans have to learn.

Inkwolf
September 21st, 2005, 5:53 pm
...three people left to be sorted. "Thomas, Dean," a Black boy even taller than Ron, joined Harry at the Gryffindor table. "Turpin, Liisa" became

I've always found it odd that Black is capitalized. Is he related to the Black family? :p I mean, you wouldn't describe Harry or Ron as a White boy, capitalized, would you?

bryanweasley
September 21st, 2005, 7:06 pm
...were only three people left to be sorted. "Turpin, Lisa" became a Ravenclaw and then it was Ron's turn.

In the Canadian edition, Dean Thomas isn't listed as being sorted. I always thought there was somebody who was sorted after Ron who wasn't listed because Harry was celebrating Ron getting into Gryffindor.

Then again, when comparing Canadian and British versions, they come out the same while the American version is different.

Dedalus Diggle
September 21st, 2005, 7:37 pm
I've always found it odd that Black is capitalized. Is he related to the Black family? :p I mean, you wouldn't describe Harry or Ron as a White boy, capitalized, would you?
From what I have seen, that is a very typical British usage. Americans would not capitalize that, seeing it just the way you suggest. I have seen a number of other references from the east side of the pond that use the capital 'B' in this context.

anabel
September 21st, 2005, 9:37 pm
I recall reading that the British editor took it out as being irrelevant.
Quite right, of course! But I think he was edited out of the Sorting to make it shorter though. For the first book they were much more concerned with length than they were in later books, which they knew would sell well no matter how many pages they had.

MoodyMuggle
September 22nd, 2005, 9:00 am
From what I have seen, that is a very typical British usage. Americans would not capitalize that, seeing it just the way you suggest. I have seen a number of other references from the east side of the pond that use the capital 'B' in this context.

I've got to disagree, as a Brit. I don't recall seeing black ever capitalized when used as an adjective.

Lucybird
September 22nd, 2005, 11:54 am
I've got to disagree, as a Brit. I don't recall seeing black ever capitalized when used as an adjective.

Nor me

eviemarshall
September 24th, 2005, 1:21 am
I have a question....What exactly did Moody see when Molly asked him in OotP to check if it was a boggart in the desk? In PoA Lupin said that no-one knows what one looks like when no-one is around. Did it sense Moody looking at it and assume the shape of what scares him? If his magical eye allows him to see a boggart in its true form, then wouldn't others know?

surrypotter
September 24th, 2005, 1:44 am
I have a question....What exactly did Moody see when Molly asked him in OotP to check if it was a boggart in the desk? In PoA Lupin said that no-one knows what one looks like when no-one is around. Did it sense Moody looking at it and assume the shape of what scares him? If his magical eye allows him to see a boggart in its true form, then wouldn't others know?
I'm thinking that only Moody would know what a boggart looks like, I think it's like a wisp of a thing ... no real shape ... maybe it just sits there in a blob.

Vita
September 24th, 2005, 1:49 am
Here (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=36110&highlight=boggart+look) is a thread discussing what a boggart looks like. Enjoy

Bull3t
September 24th, 2005, 6:15 pm
Hmm, maybe Moody would see it in it's natural form, we should ask JKR next chance we get. I would think that it would probably be an unformed thing, or maybe even a memory of itself, or perhaps it would just keep changing shape until somebody was trying to use Riddikulus!

RomulusWazlib
September 24th, 2005, 6:52 pm
Here is a little question:

Why couldn't Harry see the Thestrals in his third year (PoA)? Didn't he see Quirrel die in year one?Nope. He passed out before Quirrel bit the dust, so he didn't actually see him die.Back to the thestrals: Why didn't Harry notice the thestrals in the end of GoF. It says that the horseles carriages are waiting for them outside and that they are going to take them back to Hogsmeade Station. I don't understand why Harry didn't notice them then. Maybe I'm just stupid, but I would be happy if anyone had an explanation to this :)

Bull3t
September 24th, 2005, 7:10 pm
JKR answered that in her interview, she said that it hadn't quite sunk in yet.

anabel
September 25th, 2005, 12:20 am
This is from the Edinburgh Book Festival interview (http://www.jkrowling.com/textonly/news_view.cfm?id=80)
In the fifth book, Harry can see the Thestrals. Can you?

Yes, I can, definitely. That is a really good question, because it enables me to clear up a point. The letters that I’ve had about the Thestrals! Everyone has said to me that Harry saw people die before could see the Thestrals. Just to clear this up once and for all, this was not a mistake. I would be the first to say that I have made mistakes in the books, but this was not a mistake. I really thought this one through. Harry did not see his parents die. He was one year old and in a cot at the time. Although you never see that scene, I wrote it and then cut it. He didn’t see it; he was too young to appreciate it. When you find out about the Thestrals, you find that you can see them only when you really understand death in a broader sense, when you really know what it means. Someone said that Harry saw Quirrell die, but that is not true. He was unconscious when Quirrell died, in Philosopher’s Stone. He did not know until he came around that Quirrell had died when Voldemort left his body. Then you have Cedric. With Cedric, fair point. Harry had just seen Cedric die when he got back into the carriages to go back to Hogsmeade station. I thought about that at the end of Goblet, because I have known from the word go what was drawing the carriages. From Chamber of Secrets, in which there are carriages drawn by invisible things, I have known what was there. I decided that it would be an odd thing to do right at the end of a book. Anyone who has suffered a bereavement knows that there is the immediate shock but that it takes a little while to appreciate fully that you will never see that person again. Until that had happened, I did not think that Harry could see the Thestrals. That means that when he goes back, he saw these spooky things. It set the tone for Phoenix, which is a much darker book.

Bull3t
September 25th, 2005, 7:13 am
Good quote, that completely clears up any queries people might have. If you understand death and maybe respect it a little bit. You will begin to understand...

DarkDaysAhead
September 25th, 2005, 11:10 am
How did Voldemort get his body back after Harry's third year? That little tidbit seems to be escaping me right now...:)

Bull3t
September 25th, 2005, 11:18 am
Voldemort says that Wormtail had enough wit to be able to give him a body. I think it must have been some ancient dark magic, otherwise how would he become a body again?

surrypotter
September 26th, 2005, 1:21 am
How did Voldemort get his body back after Harry's third year? That little tidbit seems to be escaping me right now...:)
Okay ... here's the deal ... LV had through several incantations and potions created a body ... the little babymort body ... then with the bone of his father ... and the blood of his foe ... he is resurrected into a MAGICAL body ... not a mortal body. So he's getting a body purely through magical means.

DarkDaysAhead
September 26th, 2005, 6:32 am
Okay, I have another question.:lol:

Hagrid was in Gryffindor, right? If so, where was this stated?

PLIMPY
September 26th, 2005, 7:27 am
Hagrid was in Gryffindor, right? If so, where was this stated?
Um.. I can't recall if it is said in the books at the moment, but JKR is asked the question at an interview.
From here (http://www.quick-quote-quill.org/articles/2000/1000-livechat-barnesnoble.html)
Yahooligan_seachellie4 asks: What house was Hagrid in?
jkrowling_bn: Hagrid was in Gryffindor, naturally!

Bull3t
September 26th, 2005, 7:37 am
Some people keep getting the idea that Hagrid was in Hufflepuff because he likes animals etc. and Hufflepuff is more of an earthy house.

DarkDaysAhead
September 26th, 2005, 7:50 am
Um.. I can't recall if it is said in the books at the moment, but JKR is asked the question at an interview.

I actually found that quote a bit after I posted my question but I still don't see how she'd expect us to know that if she didn't put it in the books.:lol: That's why I left my question up, in case someone knew if it was in the books themsevles or not.:)

Some people keep getting the idea that Hagrid was in Hufflepuff because he likes animals etc. and Hufflepuff is more of an earthy house.

Actuallly, it seems to come from the stereotype that Hufflepuffs are the school "leftovers" and few people see Hagrid as smart or strong (magically)...he is, however, brave but people seem to overlook that.:)

I hate how Hufflepuff is looked at as the house that takes those who fit in no where else like they're nothing.

Bull3t
September 26th, 2005, 7:54 am
Cedric was a Hufflepuff and he got into the Triwizard so thats saying something.

DarkDaysAhead
September 26th, 2005, 8:02 am
Yeah, it is saying something but the reply usually is "Yeah, one guy does something great but what about the rest?" :rotfl:

Bull3t
September 26th, 2005, 8:24 am
It goes to show that people in Hufflepuff arent duffers. I would rather be a Hufflepuff than a Slytherin that's for sure.

MrRavenclaw
September 27th, 2005, 10:13 pm
Hi there ,

I don't remember if we learn at one point what the "L.E" James wrote during his exams Harry saw in the Pensieve stand for.

I feel ready to start a theory on "James is a Death Eater doing a conspiracy against Voldy and the Order to become master of the world" with these two letters, unless I get a valid answer on what it stands for :)

ProfLupin
September 27th, 2005, 10:17 pm
Hi there ,

I don't remember if we learn at one point what the "L.E" James wrote during his exams Harry saw in the Pensieve stand for.

I feel ready to start a theory on "James is a Death Eater doing a conspiracy against Voldy and the Order to become master of the world" with these two letters, unless I get a valid answer on what it stands for :)L.E. = Lily Evans, the woman James married. Harry's mum.

Bridget_Bishop
September 28th, 2005, 5:49 am
Ok, I don't know if this counts as a "little question" or not, but here goes:

My brother and I have been arguing for months about this. He thinks that JKR is giving us a hint that Harry and Hermione are eventually going to get together because, according to him, Hermione is almost identical to Lily from her hair to her parents. Now, while I agree that Lily and Hermione share some aspects, like both being born to muggle parents, I can't say that I agree on their looks. I think I have looked through all the books and have disprooved this theory, but maybe some of you can help me clear this up, for me and my brother!

Undrhil
September 28th, 2005, 6:13 am
Bridget_Bishop, I think you are confusing Hermione with Ginny. Lilly's hair has not been described as 'frizzy'. :) I do believe that JKR has hinted to Harry and Ginny getting together for those reasons listed though.

Undrhil

LEGENDofTHESPUS
September 28th, 2005, 6:22 am
Hey everyone. This isn't THAT little, but...

I might be going crazy, but have we ever seen the portraits of the four founders of Hogwarts before? I know there's a statue of Slytherin in COS, but aside from that nothing. But I could easily be wrong, and if I am, someone tell me where and when they appear in the canon. But if I'm right, why would Rowling leave this out? Surely they're the most important portraits of them all, and they MUST exist. They might have some useful information about possible heirlooms, if ya know what I mean...

TaraBrady
September 28th, 2005, 6:23 am
My brother and I have been arguing for months about this. He thinks that JKR is giving us a hint that Harry and Hermione are eventually going to get together because, according to him, Hermione is almost identical to Lily from her hair to her parents. Now, while I agree that Lily and Hermione share some aspects, like both being born to muggle parents, I can't say that I agree on their looks. I think I have looked through all the books and have disprooved this theory, but maybe some of you can help me clear this up, for me and my brother!Movie-Hermione looks a bit like Movie-Lily, especially now they've de-frizzed Hermione's hair so much, but like Undrhil said, their physical descriptions in the books aren't really anything alike.

Bridget_Bishop
September 28th, 2005, 6:25 am
Bridget_Bishop, I think you are confusing Hermione with Ginny. Lilly's hair has not been described as 'frizzy'. :) I do believe that JKR has hinted to Harry and Ginny getting together for those reasons listed though.

Undrhil

That is what I told my brother, so there you go!

but I thought Lily was a blonde...am I mistaken?

Eyes4Hermione
September 28th, 2005, 6:39 am
That is what I told my brother, so there you go!

Lily had red hair. :)

LEGENDofTHESPUS
September 28th, 2005, 6:41 am

Page 647 of OotP: It was one of the girls from the lake edge. She had thick, dark red hair that fell to her shoulders and startingly green almond-shaped eyes--Harry's eyes.
Harry's mother...

Sorry, but you are mistaken. She done gots da red hair, I 'spose.

PLIMPY
September 28th, 2005, 6:41 am
Petunia has blonde hair in the books, maybe that is what you were thinking of :)

LEGENDofTHESPUS
September 28th, 2005, 6:42 am
Now someone please answer my question about the the founders' portrairs.

PLEASE. I'M DYING TO KNOW....*falls into abyss of despair...*

TaraBrady
September 28th, 2005, 6:47 am
I don't think we've seen portraits of any of the founders, just Slytherin's statue. They all have Famous Wizard cards, but those are hardly canon.

Bridget_Bishop
September 28th, 2005, 6:48 am
Thanks for clearing that up-Life makes sense again! (hee hee) :p

LEGENDofTHESPUS
September 28th, 2005, 6:52 am
I didn't think so! Ok I'm turning that into a voicemail for MuggleCast. Thanks, Tara!

Desraelda
September 28th, 2005, 2:55 pm
Movie-Hermione looks a bit like Movie-Lily, especially now they've de-frizzed Hermione's hair so much, but like Undrhil said, their physical descriptions in the books aren't really anything alike.
Also, Lily has red hair and Hermione has brown hair.

blah123
September 28th, 2005, 5:16 pm
I don't know if this has been asked, but why does Snape have to cast "Legilimens" whenever he wants to get inside Harry's mind in their lessons, while Voldemort straightaway realised Frank Bryce was lying in book 4, and also in book 5, he tells Bella that the prophecy has indeed been destroyed, and that he "can see the truth staring at me from within his worthless mind". Again, he does this without using the spell. So,is a spell required for legilimency, or can you do it in a different way, like Voldemort?

Vita
September 28th, 2005, 5:18 pm
I imagine it can be cast nonverbally if the wizard wanted to.

Inkwolf
September 28th, 2005, 5:34 pm
Yes, I'm sure it's useless if you had to yell "Legilimens!" to use it. Snape was teaching Harry, so it was important that Harry knew when he was using the spell.

Desraelda
September 28th, 2005, 10:07 pm
I don't know if this has been asked, but why does Snape have to cast "Legilimens" whenever he wants to get inside Harry's mind in their lessons, while Voldemort straightaway realised Frank Bryce was lying in book 4, and also in book 5, he tells Bella that the prophecy has indeed been destroyed, and that he "can see the truth staring at me from within his worthless mind". Again, he does this without using the spell. So,is a spell required for legilimency, or can you do it in a different way, like Voldemort?
I agree that Legilimens can be cast non-verbally. However, I think Voldemort just automatically assumed that Frank was lying. He wasn't taking any chances.

witchygurl
September 28th, 2005, 10:34 pm
voldemort is the best legillimens in the world basically.
does anyone know how you start a thread?

TaraBrady
September 28th, 2005, 10:39 pm
Try this thread: A Guide To Posting on CoS Forums (Image Intensive) (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=71466).

juliemady
September 28th, 2005, 10:41 pm
EDIT: HBP spoilers removed.

Clara_Riddle
September 28th, 2005, 10:48 pm
juliemady,
Dumbledore says Aberforth is his brother. On page 394 of GoB (English Bloomsbury), chapter 24: Rita Skeeter's Scoop DD says "My own brother, Aberforth, was prosecuted..." so, yes Aberforth is Dumbledore's brother.

PotionsMaster
September 28th, 2005, 10:50 pm
Dumbledore says that Aberforth is his brother.

Do people in animagus form gain the abilities of the animal? Like did Sirius have the incredible ability to smell that other dogs have? Can Rita Skeeter see ultraviolet light when she is a beetle?

Vita
September 28th, 2005, 10:56 pm
Hmm, thats a good question that I dont think was ever directly answered but I gathered that when people transform into a certain animal they already retain a few of the basic characteristics of that animal to begin with. (Like Peter being a sneeky rat but hardy and actually resourcful like real rats.

MoodyMuggle
September 28th, 2005, 10:57 pm
Do people in animagus form gain the abilities of the animal? Like did Sirius have the incredible ability to smell that other dogs have? Can Rita Skeeter see ultraviolet light when she is a beetle?
I guess yes. After all Rita could fly as a beetle, so if you can fly I guess you have all the other attributes to. Also Sirius is quite happy eating rats as a dog, so I guess he has some doggy traits. Mind you, Peter lived much longer than normal rats, so I guess some human characteristics carry over too. I wonder if McGonagall has 9 lives.

Bridget_Bishop
September 29th, 2005, 5:11 am
...I guess some human characteristics carry over too. I wonder if McGonagall has 9 lives.

I hope she does, that would be so cool. Plus, I like McGonagall...

ComicBookWorm
September 29th, 2005, 11:25 am
I guess yes. After all Rita could fly as a beetle, so if you can fly I guess you have all the other attributes to. Also Sirius is quite happy eating rats as a dog, so I guess he has some doggy traits. Mind you, Peter lived much longer than normal rats, so I guess some human characteristics carry over too. I wonder if McGonagall has 9 lives.
Well since cats don't really have nine lives, I doubt it.

MoodyMuggle
September 29th, 2005, 11:39 am
Well since cats don't really have nine lives, I doubt it.
Yeah, I know. It was, like, a joke. But I hate using smileys :huh:

SeverusPoop
September 29th, 2005, 11:58 am
EDIT: Rude

ComicBookWorm
September 29th, 2005, 1:05 pm
EDIT: Off-topic

surrypotter
September 29th, 2005, 1:33 pm
comic .. i love the to death .. but when YOU post something funny I will laugh ... :)

MoodyMuggle
September 29th, 2005, 1:38 pm

ComicBookWorm
September 29th, 2005, 1:52 pm

Manymee
September 29th, 2005, 3:22 pm
I have a lil question... where does Filch eat?

Vita
September 29th, 2005, 3:45 pm
Probably the Great Hall like the rest of the staff/faculty. Or maybe his own quarters. It never says

DarkSphynx
September 29th, 2005, 6:05 pm
I always thought that Filch kept very much to himself, so his office was the first place that came to my mind.

Alastor
September 30th, 2005, 7:22 am
As far as I can remember the only staff member who is not a teacher ever mentioned sitting at the High Table in the Great Hall was Hagrid, in PS before he became a teacher. Maybe they have a never mentioned lesser table or get their food delivered to their quarters.

Melis_Arg
September 30th, 2005, 7:53 pm
Hey people! i have a question that i think was already asked, because its really old jeje but i cant find it
i was wondering, in PS how did charlie's firends fly inside Hogwarts' grounds to get norbert? i also thought of how sirius did it when he was scaping, but i thought that as DD knew he was leaving, he could have put away some charms to let him leave, but he didn't know anything about norbert, did he?

Lash Dresden
September 30th, 2005, 7:59 pm
Hey people! i have a question that i think was already asked, because its really old jeje but i cant find it
i was wondering, in PS how did charlie's firends fly inside Hogwarts' grounds to get norbert? i also thought of how sirius did it when he was scaping, but i thought that as DD knew he was leaving, he could have put away some charms to let him leave, but he didn't know anything about norbert, did he?The charm that prohibited anyone from flying in to the Hogwarts grounds was not placed until HBP.

Selene Sedai
October 1st, 2005, 9:25 pm
where did snape get his bloody knee if he wasn't trying to get past fluffy?

Why does Luna keep saying harry will see his parents again when they are dead... does she mean he will visit the mirror of erised again.. or is it something else?

eVaNeScEnCe
October 1st, 2005, 9:52 pm
where did snape get his bloody knee if he wasn't trying to get past fluffy?

Why does Luna keep saying harry will see his parents again when they are dead... does she mean he will visit the mirror of erised again.. or is it something else?

1. I think he was trying to see if Quirrel had gotten past Fluffy, since he'd been keeping tabs on Quirrel all year long. Though I could be wrong, I haven't read SS in ages.

2. One of Luna's mystery sayings which might prove significant in book 7. OR she could be alluding to Harry's death in the near future, which would be a rather morbid thing to say, especially from such a good character as Luna.

OwlPatronus
October 2nd, 2005, 3:54 am

She just means that when Harry eventually dies he will see his parents in the afterlife, whatever that is in Rowling's universe. That's what she means when she says "Come on. You heard them back there. They were just hiding out of sight." She's talking about when they both heard whispers behind to veil in the Death Room in the dept of Mysteries.

Edit: And an entirely unrelater question:
Does a Patronus Charm actually create an independent spirit that acts as a guardian, or is it just a spell? The reason I ask is it makes a difference when a Patronus interacts with another spell. If a patronus charm created a spirit then hitting it with a spell would never trigger Priori Incantatem, for example.

allydee
October 2nd, 2005, 6:19 am

While the Mirror of Erised is a possiblity to some people, I don't think he will visit it again. Ever since he got the Philosopher's Stone out of the mirror, the mirror was never mentioned again throughout the other books. However there is a chance JKR uses it again; we never know. ;)

Luna, as we know, isn't quite normal. She may be weird, but overall, there are lots of things that you can actually go to her for information. She knows things that other wizards don't really care about.

However your question is asking whether he will go to the Mirror of Erised after he dies in order to meet his parents.

My answer is no. I don't think he will go to the Mirror of Erised. The Mirror of Erised only shows you what you truly desire. JKR has never mentioned that it allows you to actually have what you desire right through the mirror. If Harry desires to meet his parents, he can't possibly just go through the Mirror, can he? Unless JKR has mentioned that he can and I missed it, I don't think that is possible! xD

So my conclusion is that probably Harry will have other means of meeting his parents again after he dies, like maybe through the Veil or any other way. There is also a possibility that Harry doesn't die. OR, your question could be something that JKR has never planned to write. It's quite an intriguing question however.

Does a Patronus Charm actually create an independent spirit that acts as a guardian, or is it just a spell? The reason I ask is it makes a difference when a Patronus interacts with another spell. If a patronus charm created a spirit then hitting it with a spell would never trigger Priori Incantatem, for example.

Well in my opinion that a Patronus Charm is probably both, but with the first factor you mentioned being the stronger factor. You can only conjure up a Patronus with "Expecto Patronum", just like a conjuring a spell. However, we also know that the Patronus takes up the form of our guardian, or, in another way, one we love. The Patronus will be your protector. The Patronus will fend off what it can. So I think it's actually both factors that make up the Patronus, the first factor being the stronger one. ;)

However about the fact that it never triggers Priori Incantatem when it touches another spell ... well I don't know how to answer that.

Just my two cents worth of my first post here. What does anyone else think? :)

Bull3t
October 2nd, 2005, 4:48 pm
I think it is just a spell that is conjured with an incantation, just like any other spell, I think that it is just a positive force that repels dementors and takes the shape of whatever your heart of whatever feels.

surrypotter
October 2nd, 2005, 11:21 pm
While the Mirror of Erised is a possiblity to some people, I don't think he will visit it again. Ever since he got the Philosopher's Stone out of the mirror, the mirror was never mentioned again throughout the other books. However there is a chance JKR uses it again; we never know. ;)
Since when has Harry actually done what he was asked to do? (DD: I ask you not to go looking for it again).

Luna, as we know, isn't quite normal. She may be weird, but overall, there are lots of things that you can actually go to her for information. She knows things that other wizards don't really care about.
Or know about!!!

However your question is asking whether he will go to the Mirror of Erised after he dies in order to meet his parents.

My answer is no. I don't think he will go to the Mirror of Erised. The Mirror of Erised only shows you what you truly desire. JKR has never mentioned that it allows you to actually have what you desire right through the mirror. If Harry desires to meet his parents, he can't possibly just go through the Mirror, can he? Unless JKR has mentioned that he can and I missed it, I don't think that is possible! xD

Why would Harry NEED the mirror ... he's DEAD ... just like his Parents and Sirius ... he'd just GO wherever THEY are, wouldn't he?

Well in my opinion that a Patronus Charm is probably both, but with the first factor you mentioned being the stronger factor. You can only conjure up a Patronus with "Expecto Patronum", just like a conjuring a spell. However, we also know that the Patronus takes up the form of our guardian, or, in another way, one we love. The Patronus will be your protector. The Patronus will fend off what it can. So I think it's actually both factors that make up the Patronus, the first factor being the stronger one. ;)
Is this why Hermione's Patronus is an otter?

allydee
October 3rd, 2005, 9:08 am
Why would Harry NEED the mirror ... he's DEAD ... just like his Parents and Sirius ... he'd just GO wherever THEY are, wouldn't he?

That's what I was trying to say.

Is this why Hermione's Patronus is an otter?

Ow, geez, it was just opinions; I'm sure I noted it was my opinions only. Relax? o.O

surrypotter
October 3rd, 2005, 11:06 pm
That's what I was trying to say.

Ow, geez, it was just opinions; I'm sure I noted it was my opinions only. Relax? o.O

Oh ... I really didn't mean to be insulting ... I was agreeing with you that he wouldn't need the mirror to find his parents ... as at that point he'd already be dead. And the comment on the Otter ... I was meaning that Weasley's ... Weasels ... Burrowing creatures ... Otters ... connection with Hermione's love for Ron ... I was wondering if you agreed that the Patronus form is made in conjunction with the love of one person to another ... :)

marspeach
October 3rd, 2005, 11:20 pm
Oh ... I really didn't mean to be insulting ... I was agreeing with you that he wouldn't need the mirror to find his parents ... as at that point he'd already be dead. And the comment on the Otter ... I was meaning that Weasley's ... Weasels ... Burrowing creatures ... Otters ... connection with Hermione's love for Ron ... I was wondering if you agreed that the Patronus form is made in conjunction with the love of one person to another ... :)

That's an interesting theory but isn't JKR's favorite animal an otter? I think she just wanted someone to have it for a patronus.

Atlas
October 4th, 2005, 8:20 am
Hermione's patronus takes the form of an otter b/c of her two front teeth... It sounds mean but it makes sense, as it is mentioned many times in the book about how big her front teeth are...

Alastor
October 4th, 2005, 8:52 am
But what is special with the front teeth of an otter?

Besides, Jo said she gave Hermione an otter because it's her favourite animal.

MoodyMuggle
October 4th, 2005, 8:54 am
Hermione's patronus takes the form of an otter b/c of her two front teeth... It sounds mean but it makes sense, as it is mentioned many times in the book about how big her front teeth are...
Are you thinking of a beaver?

caro
October 4th, 2005, 9:17 am
I was rereading PS the other day and a couple questions popped up.

1. The average wizard lives to what? Maybe ... 150? It says on the Chocolate Frog Card that Dumbledore is famous for his work on Alchemy with his partner, Nicolas Flamel. So i presume he helped to make the stone itself. Flamel and his partner are over 600 years, which means they must have been taking the Elixer of Life for about 500 years, right? How did Dumbledore survive that long? Does he take the elixer aswell?

2. How did Harry's grandparents die? (On his Dad's side) Surely they wouldn't have died of natural causes at when Lilly and James were murdered?

Hope these havn't been answered already on this post. It's so long a can't read it all! :cool:

MoodyMuggle
October 4th, 2005, 9:39 am
1. The average wizard lives to what? Maybe ... 150? It says on the Chocolate Frog Card that Dumbledore is famous for his work on Alchemy with his partner, Nicolas Flamel. So i presume he helped to make the stone itself. Flamel and his partner are over 600 years, which means they must have been taking the Elixer of Life for about 500 years, right? How did Dumbledore survive that long? Does he take the elixer as well?
I just assumed that Dumbledore had worked on something other than the elixir (the stone). Like turning lead into gold or something. That way old Nicky could have invented the stone 500 years ago and DD could have met him much later in life and worked on other stuff.

2. How did Harry's grandparents die? (On his Dad's side) Surely they wouldn't have died of natural causes at when Lilly and James were murdered?
I'm pretty sure JKR has said somewhere that this isn't important. I guess they died (of natural causes) before James and Lily got zapped.

Mundungus Fletc
October 4th, 2005, 9:57 am
In the Mugglenet interview JKR says that James' parents were quite old when he was born. They died before Harry was born. She wanted Harry to be alone apart from Petunia

allydee
October 4th, 2005, 10:48 am

Sorry ... I think I was whacked yesterday ... now that I read it back it isn't THAT bad ... my sincerest apologies.

Flamel and his partner are over 600 years, which means they must have been taking the Elixer of Life for about 500 years, right? How did Dumbledore survive that long? Does he take the elixer aswell?

Hmm ... it's possible ... but I don't think JKR mentioned it though ...

Machiavelli
October 4th, 2005, 1:29 pm
I was rereading PS the other day and a couple questions popped up.

1. The average wizard lives to what? Maybe ... 150? It says on the Chocolate Frog Card that Dumbledore is famous for his work on Alchemy with his partner, Nicolas Flamel. So i presume he helped to make the stone itself. Flamel and his partner are over 600 years, which means they must have been taking the Elixer of Life for about 500 years, right? How did Dumbledore survive that long? Does he take the elixer aswell?Dumbledore, according to JKR, is only about 150, so he didn't help make the stone originally. He probably just studied the effects with Nicholas Flamel at some point.

How old is Prof. Dumbledore and Prof. Snape?
JKR: Dumbledore's about 150 years old... Wizards have a longer life expectancy than us Muggles. Snape's 35 or 36

from here (http://www.quick-quote-quill.org/articles/2001/0301-bbc-rednose.htm).

Desraelda
October 4th, 2005, 3:38 pm
This is from JKR's interview with Melissa and Emerson, 7/16/05 and should answer your question.

MA: What about Harry's family — his grandparents — were they killed?

JKR: No. This takes us into more mundane territory. As a writer, it was more interesting, plot-wise, if Harry was completely alone. So I rather ruthlessly disposed of his entire family apart from Aunt Petunia. I mean, James and Lily are massively important to the plot, of course, but the grandparents? No. And, because I do like my backstory: Petunia and Lily's parents, normal Muggle death. James's parents were elderly, were getting on a little when he was born, which explains the only child, very pampered, had-him-late-in-life-so-he's-an-extra-treasure, as often happens, I think. They were old in wizarding terms, and they died. They succumbed to a wizarding illness. That's as far as it goes. There's nothing serious or sinister about those deaths. I just needed them out of the way so I killed them.

Bull3t
October 4th, 2005, 3:41 pm
How many stones would have been made??? Possibly Dumbledore helped make another stone after the 600 more or less years.

Desraelda
October 4th, 2005, 3:46 pm
How many stones would have been made??? Possibly Dumbledore helped make another stone after the 600 more or less years.
We only know for sure about one stone. I don't think Dumbledore would have made another stone because of the things he says. He says that to the organized mind, death is but the next great adventure. He also says (paraphrasing from memory) that it's not good for man to have as much gold and life as he wants. I don't think Dumbledore would want a stone and if he had one, he probably would have destroyed it before it fell into Voldy's hands.

Bull3t
October 4th, 2005, 3:56 pm
Yeah your right. But what if they needed a new one because the other one had been contaminated or destroyed.

guad
October 4th, 2005, 4:02 pm
NEED HELP FROM BRITISH PEOPLE.
I don't know if this has been answered and it is not a big thing, but it has been since the release of OotP that I feel curiosity:
WHAT was Ron telling Nearly Headless Nick with his mouthful to apologize in the feast???

Bull3t
October 4th, 2005, 4:20 pm
I think he was apologizing for what he had said, not sure what it was, I don't have my book handy as my sister is reading the books for the first time and it's taken her about 2 months to get up to OotP.

Machiavelli
October 4th, 2005, 4:36 pm
I don't know if this has been answered and it is not a big thing, but it has been since the release of OotP that I feel curiosity:
WHAT was Ron telling Nearly Headless Nick with his mouthful to apologize in the feast???If I remember properly I think he said sorry, I didn't mean to upset you... or something along those lines. Like Bull3t I haven't the books nearby.

MoodyMuggle
October 4th, 2005, 5:18 pm
WHAT was Ron telling Nearly Headless Nick with his mouthful to apologize in the feast???
I know exactly what you're referring to and I have no clue. i've tried saying it over and over again and I can't work out what he's saying! And yes, I'm british.

Mundungus Fletc
October 4th, 2005, 5:51 pm
"Ow Kunnit nofe skusin danger ifzat"

Which is explained a few lines further on as "How can it know the schools in danger if it's a hat" (p189 british hardback)

Bull3t
October 4th, 2005, 6:04 pm
Didn't he say something else before or after that though? Something that was meant to be an apology because he had been rude to Nick, and then Nick had said something about it not being a satisfactory apology and floated away.

Mundungus Fletc
October 4th, 2005, 6:07 pm
"Node iddum eentup sechew"
Which I think means "No I didn't mean to upset you"

Atlas
October 5th, 2005, 4:25 am
Are you thinking of a beaver?

Otters have a mean overbite too...

surrypotter
October 5th, 2005, 5:23 am
Did ya'll know that Pigwidgeon means "Fairy" or "Dwarf" ... perfect name for such a small Owl. :)

Atlas
October 5th, 2005, 5:26 am
Possibly why its named that then, you think...

surrypotter
October 5th, 2005, 5:26 am
Possibly why its named that then, you think...
That's exactly what I think ... yes. :)

allydee
October 5th, 2005, 7:32 am
LOL ... Pigwidgeon ... I wonder if the Weasleys know how ironic that they named a small owl that could hardly fly with big weights a Fairy-Drawf owl. ( dash because both are acceptable to me xD). I mean, a drawf that can't carry thick letters?

Vita
October 5th, 2005, 8:35 am
I think there is some kind of magic with owls that gives them the ability to carry big packages and find people. You should check out the lastest Mugglecast (www.mugglecast.com). It has great discussion on owls this week. :)

guad
October 5th, 2005, 10:02 am
Which I think means "No I didn't mean to upset you"
thank you, I feel better now :eyebrows:
Thanks also to Bull3t, Machiavelli and MoodyMuggle.

Alfonzo
October 5th, 2005, 11:46 am
I think there is some kind of magic with owls that gives them the ability to carry big packages and find people. You should check out the lastest Mugglecast (www.mugglecast.com). It has great discussion on owls this week. :)
Maybe the owls themselves are magical, in that they are different from normal owls, or possibly they could be reared in a different way/have charms cast on them as chicks... :lol:

Machiavelli
October 5th, 2005, 5:08 pm
Maybe the owls themselves are magical, in that they are different from normal owls, or possibly they could be reared in a different way/have charms cast on them as chicks... :lol:You might also like JKR's background on owls on her website. (http://www.jkrowling.com/textonly/extrastuff_view.cfm?id=20)

OwlPatronus
October 6th, 2005, 12:50 am
All the wizard pets seem unusual. How often do you see rats understanding conversation and playing jump rope with their tales? (POA, pet shop)

A different question: are Patronuss far more useful than we have been led to believe? When they were originally introduced I was surprised that a spell that created a powerful spirit was so limited in it's application: it only faught dementors. Then in Fantastic Beasts, where we find that it also repels lethifolds, I was suspicious that we were underestimating this spell. And now that we find that a patronus will also act as a messenger I am convinced that we will see at least one more use from this spell. Here it is: a patronus will be discovered to be a way to stop Avada Kedavra. There are two versions of this theory: the first is that a patronus would simply stop an AK like Fawkes did when he saved Dumbledore. But a more provocative theory is that a patronus made of love (they embody the emotions of a memory, remember) would, if strong and exceptional enough, turn an AK back on the caster like Harry's mother's sacrifice. An ideas on either theory, or new uses for a patronus?

Desraelda
October 6th, 2005, 3:32 pm
A different question: are Patronuss far more useful than we have been led to believe?
I used your patronus theory in the How Will Voldemort Die thread and combined it with Chas' theory. I believe you're right about the patronus having more than one or two uses. Here's the link.

http://www.cosforums.com/showpost.php?p=3082346&postcount=246

Bull3t
October 6th, 2005, 6:08 pm
We already know it can be used to send messages and a shield against the dementors, could it perhaps be used as a decoy, it cannot be harmed as it is not a being, therefore you could send it one way and run the other.

Tenshi
October 7th, 2005, 3:59 pm
A thing I wonder about. I can't remember where (either in PS or CoS) was mentioned that Scabbers is nibbling at Ron's shoes. And as we all know is Scabbers = Peter Pettigrew. So what the hell makes a upgrown wizard nibbling at stinky shoes? :huh:

Maybe he wanted to act like a rat. But isn't it beneath ones dignity to chew at other person shoes? He could just sleep instead as usual. :shrug:

MoodyMuggle
October 7th, 2005, 4:38 pm
A thing I wonder about. I can't remember where (either in PS or CoS) was mentioned that Scabbers is nibbling at Ron's shoes. And as we all know is Scabbers = Peter Pettigrew. So what the hell makes a upgrown wizard nibbling at stinky shoes? :huh:

Maybe he wanted to act like a rat. But isn't it beneath ones dignity to chew at other person shoes? He could just sleep instead as usual. :shrug:
What do you expect him to do - cook a roast dinner? I think he just took on some ratty characteristics. After all Sirius survives by eating rats when he's living in a cave in, erm GoF I think.

Freaky
October 7th, 2005, 8:22 pm
All the wizard pets seem unusual. How often do you see rats understanding conversation and playing jump rope with their tales? (POA, pet shop)

A different question: are Patronuss far more useful than we have been led to believe? When they were originally introduced I was surprised that a spell that created a powerful spirit was so limited in it's application: it only faught dementors. Then in Fantastic Beasts, where we find that it also repels lethifolds, I was suspicious that we were underestimating this spell. And now that we find that a patronus will also act as a messenger I am convinced that we will see at least one more use from this spell. Here it is: a patronus will be discovered to be a way to stop Avada Kedavra. There are two versions of this theory: the first is that a patronus would simply stop an AK like Fawkes did when he saved Dumbledore. But a more provocative theory is that a patronus made of love (they embody the emotions of a memory, remember) would, if strong and exceptional enough, turn an AK back on the caster like Harry's mother's sacrifice. An ideas on either theory, or new uses for a patronus?

That's a really interesting thought...do you think they could be conjured up in time though, there is very little time between AK being cast and it hitting it's mark.

bastelnglocke
October 8th, 2005, 3:07 am
Is it just me or does anyone else think that Snape doesn't really pick on/berate Ron Weasley as much as he does Harry and Hermione? Any theories? I can't come up with one other than the completely off the wall theory that somehow through family Snape is connected to the Weasley's. But like I said I am completely off my rocker here in thinking this, but it's the best I can come up with........help......

granger1019
October 8th, 2005, 3:39 am
Is it just me or does anyone else think that Snape doesn't really pick on/berate Ron Weasley as much as he does Harry and Hermione? Any theories? I can't come up with one other than the completely off the wall theory that somehow through family Snape is connected to the Weasley's. But like I said I am completely off my rocker here in thinking this, but it's the best I can come up with........help......
well, I remember Sirius, I think, who said that all pure-blood wizards are inter-related. One of Snapes parents (I dont remember who) was a pure-blood wizard (or witch) and that might make him releated to the Weasleys. Or he doesnt see Ron as much as a threat, because Hermionie is really clever and Harry is, well, Harry. The only major threat might be that his family is in the Order.

bastelnglocke
October 8th, 2005, 4:46 am
Yay!!!!!!! Another theory for me to ponder. Thank you granger1019! I forgot hat was mentioned about all pure-bloods being inter-related somehow. Good point, thank you!

witchygurl
October 8th, 2005, 5:16 am
will harry go back to hogwarts?

granger1019
October 8th, 2005, 5:34 am
Yay!!!!!!! Another theory for me to ponder. Thank you granger1019! I forgot hat was mentioned about all pure-bloods being inter-related somehow. Good point, thank you!
your welcome :)!
will harry go back to hogwarts?
I think he will go for at least part of the year. I mean, if Harry finishes off Voldy, then he might want to finish up school to become an Auror to get everyone else that was with him.

rHyZiE
October 8th, 2005, 7:34 am
yah...... he's still be Salazar's Heir.... that's for sure..............

Desraelda
October 8th, 2005, 1:26 pm

Hermione got on Snape's bad side when she kept trying to answer his questions the first day in Potions class. Snape wanted to put Harry on the spot and show him up because of his hatred for James. Hermione interrupted him and took his focus off Harry. Once you get on Snape's bad side, you don't get off. It's pretty clear that he can hold a grudge for decades.

Since Harry is Snape's primary target, he probably dismisses Ron as unimportant.

Wonder, though, why he picks on Neville, too. Snape really does give him a hard time. Probably just the bully picking on the weak.

GodricHollow
October 8th, 2005, 2:20 pm
Careful Des, we still have another 8 days of Spoiler blankets.

Hmm, Harry's obvious, what with James and all, I've always thought of Hermione as another Snape, but more all-rounded instead of being brilliant at the one subject. Ron... Again, may be clutching straws but maybe because he's skint? As for Neville, part of me (for some reason, don't have a clue why,) is thinking that Snape is trying to help Neville by putting so much pressure on him. Again, think I'm clutching straws on that one.

Desraelda
October 8th, 2005, 2:24 pm
Careful Des, we still have another 8 days of Spoiler blankets.
Thanks for the heads-up. I edited it out.

am3lia
October 8th, 2005, 4:33 pm

Well, we have always known Ron to be pushed to the side because of having Harry as his best friend. And as grudges go, I can't think of anything that would cause Snape to dislike Ron. His parents weren't close to Snape's age, so he didn't go to school with them. And if he did, he was probably in 1st year when they were in 6th or 7th. As for Neville, I'm thinking that his parents gave Snape a hard time. Since they were big time Aurors and he was a Death Eater? Easy to imagine Snape hating them. And I could imagine Hermione getting on his nerves. Couldn't you?

Lucybird
October 8th, 2005, 9:26 pm
Or it could be because Hermione is muggleborn

surrypotter
October 8th, 2005, 10:24 pm
You know ... I've been wondering if Snape's mother wasn't one of the "Muggle Lovers" that was blasted off of the Black Family Tree. If so ... It would explain his animosity towards Sirius Black.

GodricHollow
October 8th, 2005, 10:49 pm
You worded that one well surry...

Hold on, you may be onto something there...

Shelty
October 9th, 2005, 6:00 am
I would guess with Harry it's because of James and all that, and with Hermione it's because she's super smart. He doesn't need to pick on Ron to make him look bad. Ron already does that by himself
I would guess it's because

SB_7
October 10th, 2005, 4:38 am
I think another reason Hermionie is in Gryffindor is yet to be proven. I think that she will prove herself brave in the next book.

Weasleytwin
October 10th, 2005, 4:51 am
I think Hermione has already proven herself to be brave. Maybe the hat was considering putting her in Ravenclaw, but she asked it to put her in Gryffindor like Harry did. I think she was talking on the train about how she had read about the houses and thought Gryffindor sounded best.

MoonCrystal
October 10th, 2005, 1:26 pm
I have a question here, well, "Hogwarts, a history" is there a chance that in the book are some pictures of the four founders ? Just a tought...

Would be lovely to know how they looked like...

MoodyMuggle
October 10th, 2005, 1:27 pm
Would be lovely to know how they looked like...Well there's a statue of Slytherin in CoS film...

PLIMPY
October 10th, 2005, 2:10 pm
I have a question here, well, "Hogwarts, a history" is there a chance that in the book are some pictures of the four founders ? Just a tought...

I would think that is fairly likely, although I don't know under what circumstances that would be described to us. There are pictures of them on their Famous Wizard Cards, although, how similar they are to how JKR has imagined them, I do not know. You can see them by looking here (http://www.hp-lexicon.org/wizards/founders.html).

marspeach
October 10th, 2005, 7:01 pm
I would think that is fairly likely, although I don't know under what circumstances that would be described to us. There are pictures of them on their Famous Wizard Cards, although, how similar they are to how JKR has imagined them, I do not know. You can see them by looking here (http://www.hp-lexicon.org/wizards/founders.html).

Rowena Ravenclaw is too ugly with that nose. Doesn't the hat describe her as "fair" which I thought meant good looking? They gotta change the nose!

granger1019
October 10th, 2005, 7:58 pm

I think it might something like old-fasohned sketches or smaller versions of portraits like they have in modern history books.

Rowena Ravenclaw is too ugly with that nose. Doesn't the hat describe her as "fair" which I thought meant good looking? They gotta change the nose! I think she looks pretty. Not the way I pictured her, but I think her nose is fine.

hermy_19
October 10th, 2005, 8:18 pm
Hey, this question's been bugging me since GoF came out.
The plot is brilliant but what's the point? I mean, Harry is alone with Moody aka Crouch Jr. for so many times. At any time, Crouch could've taken Harry to Voldemort e.g. by offering him a drink in a cup which is a portkey. Why to take such a long route? Even DD trusted him so where's the problem? :huh:

Machiavelli
October 10th, 2005, 8:22 pm
Hey, this question's been bugging me since GoF came out.
The plot is brilliant but what's the point? I mean, Harry is alone with Moody aka Crouch Jr. for so many times. At any time, Crouch could've taken Harry to Voldemort e.g. by offering him a drink in a cup which is a portkey. Why to take such a long route? Even DD trusted him so where's the problem? :huh:It was an essential part of V's plan that Harry's disappearance and death be accounted for. V didn't want Dumbledore (or the rest of the Wizard world) to know of his return. If Harry simply turned up dead during the school year Dumbledore would undoubtedly investigate - it's impossible to imagine he wouldn't. The plan was that Harry would appear to have tragically died in the maze - no questions asked, hero's burial. That's why the portkey was two way - Harry's body had to be returned to the maze. The final test was the only time when there would be no witnesses to what happened to Harry - in the first of course the whole school was watching, in the second there were the merpeople and the hostages.

GodricHollow
October 10th, 2005, 8:36 pm
Precisely, and as this is a questions thread... Why are we arguing aboyt who someone looks like? It's a book, use your imagination, you don't like the nose, change the nose, it's what your brain's for.

marspeach
October 10th, 2005, 10:52 pm
Precisely, and as this is a questions thread... Why are we arguing aboyt who someone looks like? It's a book, use your imagination, you don't like the nose, change the nose, it's what your brain's for.

Yeah, my post was pretty pointless. I just felt like saying it. Ignore my stupid post. :tu:

Nadasin
October 12th, 2005, 6:21 am
Okay, first post ever! :p Here's a random question that's been bugging me since OOtP. Are Harry Potter and the gang a certain religion? Harry's got a godfather and celebrates Christmas (but not in the religious sense). Is some form of Christianity or anything?

PLIMPY
October 12th, 2005, 7:48 am
Okay, first post ever! Here's a random question that's been bugging me since OOtP. Are Harry Potter and the gang a certain religion? Harry's got a godfather and celebrates Christmas (but not in the religious sense). Is some form of Christianity or anything?
:welcome: Nadasin, or since it looks like you have been here a little while, perhpas I should say, congratulations on making your first post. :clap:

I don't that that JKR has really discussed religion all that much in the books, although to me, personally, it has always seemed like there was religion, but that it mostly wasn't that it just wasn't the center of people's lives. She has said that Harry was christened, which to me indicates that they were probably of some Christian faith, but there is a thread here that talks about this very topic where I am sure that people posted responses with much more thought and evidence than I am able to muster at the moment. You might be interested in reading it, or taking a look at maybe the first and last few pages (since it is pretty long) and making a post, or not, but either way, here it is: Religion in the wizarding world... (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=532)

roach76
October 12th, 2005, 7:57 pm
In regards to Hermione, she was showing she wasn't such a prude as ROn first thought, and she was willing to get into trouble. That's why they befriend her and the rest as they say is history.

In regards to LV, I bleieve he is still slytherin's heir. Having Harry's blodd is an added bonus to LV because Harry is no longer protected under Dumbledore's enchantment to the Dursley's house.

Do you thinkin book 7, Harry will return to Privet drive and find the Dursley's dead or just Uncle Vernon and Dudders dead?

lulu15
October 13th, 2005, 5:25 am
Do you thinkin book 7, Harry will return to Privet drive and find the Dursley's dead or just Uncle Vernon and Dudders dead?

I think that if Uncle Vernon and Dudley do get murdered Petunia will be left alive because there are some unanswered questions from her and i doubt J.K. Rowling will want to leave any loose ends. But they will probably have a hard time getting her to talk.

MoonCrystal
October 13th, 2005, 10:59 am
Ahm, no, I just see no way the Drusleys would get killed, come one, no one in their right mind would go after them - and I also see no reason for it at all, well actually maybe just Petunia, I can see her being in danger, if Voldy figures out about the blood, but even then I doubt it, I think if there is someone in the books who will not be killed it would be them. But then, I can always be wrong, so, I just hope not.

I do have a new question ready - I think in PoA Hermione says that there are 7 (?) registered animagi (don´t know if anybody asked it before) but any Idea who beside Mc G are the other six in this century ? (I hope I got the facts right, correct me if I didn´t) ;o)

Freaky
October 13th, 2005, 1:34 pm
I do have a new question ready - I think in PoA Hermione says that there are 7 (?) registered animagi (don´t know if anybody asked it before) but any Idea who beside Mc G are the other six in this century ? (I hope I got the facts right, correct me if I didn´t) ;o)

Interesting. Given his talent we can probably assume that Dumbledore was an Animagus - he also taught Transfiguration so it would seem this could go hand in hand. I'm not sure if we've ever been told that he is definitely one but he would be one of my guesses.

MoonCrystal
October 13th, 2005, 2:29 pm
Right that´s what I thought too, so that would make two total of seven, leaving still 5 to ge guessed. Any idea who else could be one ?

Here´s just a tought :

Mc G - she is one, we know that
DD - I´m 99,9 % sure he is on as well

Moody ? - could be one
Tonks ? - I personaly don´t think that she is one, as she´s a meta. she wouldn´t need to be one
Scrim. ? - I guess he could be one
Either Narcissa or Lucious Malfoy - pretty sur about that, I think they have quite some talents to pull something like that off
Bella ?

Machiavelli
October 13th, 2005, 2:58 pm
I'm not entirely sure Dumbledore was on that list - didn't Hermione say she had checked the registry for the past 100 years? Dumbledore is (per JKR) about 150, so depending upon when he achieved animagus status (if he did it), he might not be on that particular registry.

Anyway, no one is mentioned other than McG, but one person does know who the others are - Hermione.

Mundungus Fletc
October 13th, 2005, 3:01 pm
but one person does know who the others are - Hermione.

Which suggests that the others probably aren't very important - if they were someone known to the trio surely she would have told them.

MoodyMuggle
October 13th, 2005, 3:17 pm
Which suggests that the others probably aren't very important - if they were someone known to the trio surely she would have told them.
Particularly if they knew the person but hadn't realised they were an animagus until checking the list. I can imagine hermione going bananas about that.

Same thing if she met someone she'd seen on the list but didn't know at that time [spoilers removed]

MoonCrystal
October 13th, 2005, 3:49 pm
You´re right, haven´t tought about it, so it seems like the other registered animagi don´t really play any impotance at all - ah that´s sad, I really thought I had a good go :grumble: but well :p

Machiavelli
October 13th, 2005, 5:40 pm
Well, it has been put out there though, so a character introduced since Hermione checked the list could still be an animagi, and Hermione hasn't remembered. It has been a while. Logically it could still play out somehow in the final book.

MoonCrystal
October 13th, 2005, 6:51 pm
Well, it has been put out there though, so a character introduced since Hermione checked the list could still be an animagi, and Hermione hasn't remembered. It has been a while. Logically it could still play out somehow in the final book.

:eyebrows: :rotfl: I hope it will, just imagine Prof. Sprout being a fish :rotfl: (oh don´t ask, I just have really weird foughts going through my mind) but well :angel:

Machiavelli
October 13th, 2005, 9:16 pm
:eyebrows: :rotfl: I hope it will, just imagine Prof. Sprout being a fish :rotfl: (oh don´t ask, I just have really weird foughts going through my mind) but well :angel:Hmmm... as Sprout was already known to them I think it's not highly likely, but vaguely possible.

Anyway - back to the little questions.

Willow0224
October 15th, 2005, 6:56 am
I'm not entirely sure Dumbledore was on that list - didn't Hermione say she had checked the registry for the past 100 years? Dumbledore is (per JKR) about 150, so depending upon when he achieved animagus status (if he did it), he might not be on that particular registry.

Anyway, no one is mentioned other than McG, but one person does know who the others are - Hermione.

if he were an animagus I think DD would be on the list .simply because he is still alive and able to turn into an animal,so that fact would need to be readily availiable to anyone who needs to know.

emmawatson777
October 16th, 2005, 7:18 am
Okay, first post ever! :p Here's a random question that's been bugging me since OOtP. Are Harry Potter and the gang a certain religion? Harry's got a godfather and celebrates Christmas (but not in the religious sense). Is some form of Christianity or anything?

Prob Christian. Dunno, never thought much abt religion, but due to Christmas--prob Christian.

whats the deal with ron and uranus? its been mentioned like 3 times...anyone get it?

Alastor
October 16th, 2005, 7:47 am
whats the deal with ron and uranus? its been mentioned like 3 times...anyone get it?Read 'ur' as 'your'. :)

allydee
October 16th, 2005, 12:13 pm
Oh my god, please don't tell me ... LOL .. are you serious? This is too funny. xD

vapormist
October 16th, 2005, 12:49 pm
Yeah...It took me ages to figure it out :blush:

Chickenfeed
October 17th, 2005, 1:31 am
Not sure if this is the place to ask this, it is not a book question, but it is a little question...

When did they get rid of the HBP discussion area? Did they give a warning for people who haven't read book 6 yet? Doesn't really bother me as I have read it, just curious.

amirab
October 17th, 2005, 1:44 am
Not sure if this is the place to ask this, it is not a book question, but it is a little question...

When did they get rid of the HBP discussion area? Did they give a warning for people who haven't read book 6 yet? Doesn't really bother me as I have read it, just curious.
Is it okay that I answer? I believe that they got rid of the HBP disussion area yesterday Oct 15. I don't know if there was a warning. I logged on today and saw that it was gone.

Vita
October 17th, 2005, 1:45 am
Yep, spoiler season is over :) Its been three months since the release of HBP

Alastor
October 17th, 2005, 7:38 am
Did they give a warning for people who haven't read book 6 yet? DAn Announcement was given. Clearly visible at the top of this subforum. :)

And there's a note about it near the top of the Forum main page.

Chickenfeed
October 17th, 2005, 8:48 am
Alastor D
An Announcement was given. Clearly visible at the top of this subforum.

And there's a note about it near the top of the Forum main page.

Oh. *looks embaressed* I didn't actually look. I just came onto the forums this morning and realised there was no longer HBP discussion area.

piratekitty
October 17th, 2005, 7:03 pm
Here is my little question:

In Goblet of Fire, Jo talks about the Wizarding Wireless Network.

Muggles refer to wireless networks, phones, etc. because at one time these things could only be used with wires. Technology made it possible to use these things without wires, hence our use of the word "wireless."

I think it is safe to assume that the wizarding community was never really boggled down with the use of wires. Therefore, I do not suspect that they would refer to something as being "wireless" because it was never really wired in the first place.

Or I could just be completely full of myself to assume that wizards did not ever use wires.

This is just a little annoyance of mine. I guess my question would be "Why do wizards have a wireless network if they never used wires in the first place?" What are your thoughts?

Lucybird
October 17th, 2005, 7:58 pm
Wireless can also be another word for a radio, so that's how it's used in Wizarding Wireless Network, it basically means Wizard's Radio Network, but using the word wireless sounds better

GodricHollow
October 17th, 2005, 8:06 pm
Marketing ploy, you want something to roll of the tongue. Wizaarding Radio Network...? Nah, doesn't quite sound right... Wizarding Wireless Network...? That's it! Perfect.

Happens all the time.

Lucybird
October 17th, 2005, 8:34 pm
Yup it's the illiteration...

Inkwolf
October 17th, 2005, 9:07 pm
Here is my little question:

In Goblet of Fire, Jo talks about the Wizarding Wireless Network.

Muggles refer to wireless networks, phones, etc. because at one time these things could only be used with wires. Technology made it possible to use these things without wires, hence our use of the word "wireless."

Exactly....

And based on that, my theory is that the 'wireless' is copied from the Muggle world by wizards. In spite of all their condescending remarks about how clever Muggles are to do things without magic, WE THE MUGGLES are the creators and inventors, WE are the innovators. The wizards just copy Muggle inventions!

Of course, that doesn't explain why the wizards had modern toilet plumbing when the Chamber of Secrets was built...

Colonel_Fubster
October 17th, 2005, 9:24 pm
Wireless can also be another word for a radio, so that's how it's used in Wizarding Wireless Network, it basically means Wizard's Radio Network, but using the word wireless sounds better

It's also a common expression in some parts of the world. I used to live in New Zealand, they wouldn't listen to the 'radio', they listened to the 'wireless'. I think it's the same in the UK, at least with those generations that aren't as influenced by the internet. :)

piratekitty
October 18th, 2005, 6:05 am

I understand what you're saying but it still doesn't make sense to me. Radios are refered to as "wireless" because finally people were free from wires. I suppose it is just for alliteration, even though it doesn't make sense.

And based on that, my theory is that the 'wireless' is copied from the Muggle world by wizards. In spite of all their condescending remarks about how clever Muggles are to do things without magic, WE THE MUGGLES are the creators and inventors, WE are the innovators. The wizards just copy Muggle inventions!

That sounds really good too.

Mundungus Fletc
October 18th, 2005, 7:21 am
Colonel Fubster wrote
I think it's the same in the UK, at least with those generations that aren't as influenced by the internet.

Exactly right - the first 'radio' was part of the telephone network and hence wired. It's another example of how the wizarding world is old fashioned. My parents never said radio.

Alastor
October 18th, 2005, 8:11 am
I can't for the moment find any litterature about radio history, but I have a feeling that the word wireless most often is used for Wireless Telegraphy which is the same as radiotelegraphy.

Chickenfeed
October 18th, 2005, 9:04 am
Yeah, when people refer to "the wireless" they are talking about ordinary radios. Radios with wires in them. Wireless didn't mean the same back then as it does now.
Mundungus FletC said it, radios used to be "wired" to the phone network, when the newer radios came out that were self contained, they were referred to as "wireless".

MoodyMuggle
October 18th, 2005, 10:14 am
Yeah, when people refer to "the wireless" they are talking about ordinary radios. Radios with wires in them. Wireless didn't mean the same back then as it does now.
Mundungus FletC said it, radios used to be "wired" to the phone network, when the newer radios came out that were self contained, they were referred to as "wireless".
Well sort of. Before phones there was telegraphy, and originally that had to be carried by wires. And then along came Morse (and others) and worked out how to do it wirelessly. So then radio signals could be transmitted wirelessly, hence the name. Then once that had been invented along came a load more applications for wireless telegraphy, including what we now all know and love as commercial radio. But it was still called wireless, short for wireless telegraphy.

Radios were never connected to the phone network. What's bizarre now is that television, which was wireless from the start, is now hooked up to cable, so we're kind of going backwards. But this is all off topic....

Was there any answer on that question about wizards paying taxes? Good questoin, that.

Mundungus Fletc
October 18th, 2005, 10:42 am
Radios were never connected to the phone network.
Sorry but they were in Britain in the very early days - and even later many people rented a 'radio' from a company (called BRW I think) that was connected by wires just like a cable network today. (I know this because my grandparents had such an arrangement)

MoodyMuggle
October 18th, 2005, 2:05 pm
Sorry but they were in Britain in the very early days - and even later many people rented a 'radio' from a company (called BRW I think) that was connected by wires just like a cable network today. (I know this because my grandparents had such an arrangement)
Erm, the whole point about radios is that they work on radio waves, which don't need wires to carry them.

Desraelda
October 18th, 2005, 2:10 pm
Erm, the whole point about radios is that they work on radio waves, which don't need wires to carry them.
And the wizarding wireless works on magical waves which don't need wires to carry it either. So wireless works in both contexts.

Lucybird
October 18th, 2005, 6:22 pm
It's also a common expression in some parts of the world. I used to live in New Zealand, they wouldn't listen to the 'radio', they listened to the 'wireless'. I think it's the same in the UK, at least with those generations that aren't as influenced by the internet. :)

Nope I'm in the UK, most people call it the radio, and I did before I had ever used internet, so I don't think it's internet influenced

nivekllerttoc
October 18th, 2005, 6:35 pm
I've got a couple...how do dementors die?

Who were Filches parents?

Colonel_Fubster
October 18th, 2005, 6:42 pm
Nope I'm in the UK, most people call it the radio, and I did before I had ever used internet, so I don't think it's internet influenced

I notice you're just 18, Lucybird. Regardless of how old you were when you began using the internet, your generation has been highly influenced by it. The internet has created much more of an international 'language' than we ever had before. Although regionalisms and local slang are still used, there are far fewer than when I was young. At that time, it would have been quite difficult for people in different parts of the world to effectively communicate, even all speaking the same language. Having moved from New Zealand to Canada in the mid-80's, I had direct experience of this. I'm not going to say how old I am, but I remember a time before anyone had VCR's, let alone home computers. The first school lesson I had on computers was about punch-cards. :blush:
It was more my parents' generation that used the term 'wireless', but a lot of my peers used it too, just from habit, since that's what we were used to hearing. ;)

kingwidgit
October 18th, 2005, 6:53 pm
I've got a couple...how do dementors die?

Who were Filches parents?
We haven't been told if Dementor's can die, though one would assume if they can reproduce through breeding that they can be killed.

All the info we have on Filch is that he is a squib, who is the caretaker of Hogwarts, and that he would not have been able to attend Hogwarts as a student. "Squibs" are often doomed to a rather sad kind of half-life (yes, you should be feeling sorry for Filch), as their parentage often means that they will be exposed to, if not immersed in, the wizarding community, but can never truly join it. Sometimes they find a way to fit in; Filch has carved himself a niche at Hogwarts and Arabella Figg operates as Dumbledore’s liaison between the magical and Muggle worlds. Neither of these characters can perform magic (Filch’s Kwikspell course never worked), but they still function within the wizarding world because they have access to certain magical objects and creatures that can help them.

Other than his being born to at least one magical parent we know nothing of his parentage.

GodricHollow
October 18th, 2005, 8:58 pm
And that the Father's name was ??? Filch, of course.

pyre
October 19th, 2005, 2:35 am
How is it known Sirius s dead? I may ahve missed sth in the forums..but what behind the veil?

piratekitty
October 19th, 2005, 3:02 am
And the wizarding wireless works on magical waves which don't need wires to carry it either. So wireless works in both contexts.

I really appreciate everyone's imput on this, and I have learned quite a bit from all the answers. My my curious little mind is still wondering...

Wireless does not make sense because (i think it is safe to assume that) wizards never used wires in the first place! It would be like a muggle saying that they go about their day "wandless." Muggles never used wands in the first place so it makes NO sense. Do you see what I'm saying?

Pinkerton
October 19th, 2005, 3:48 am
Wireless does not make sense because (i think it is safe to assume that) wizards never used wires in the first place! It would be like a muggle saying that they go about their day "wandless." Muggles never used wands in the first place so it makes NO sense. Do you see what I'm saying?

Wireless could be because it's a british term for the radio. I looked it up at m-w.com:

2 chiefly British : of or relating to radiotelegraphy, radiotelephony, or radio

nlovewithbonni
October 19th, 2005, 4:30 am
well wizarding wireless could have been made my a muggle lover like Arthur Weasley. Only through muggle studies would they have even learned what a radio was. So it was obviously created by a muggle lover hence the name wizarding wireless and at has a good name. If u were a wizard would u buy sumthing that looked like a radio if it didnt have a good catch phrase

Alastor
October 19th, 2005, 7:15 am
How is it known Sirius s dead? I may ahve missed sth in the forums..but what behind the veil?Jo has told that she went to the kitchen crying when she had killed him. I don't think she would have if his death was faked. I seem to remember that she has later confirmed it somewhere, but can't remember where.

Even if every wizard, Dumbledore included, could have been fooled, I don't think that Kreacher would. And he reluctantly accepted Harry as his master.

What's behind the veil? I don't think we have any information of that, except the whispering, murmuring noises.

Colonel_Fubster
October 19th, 2005, 7:34 am
This is what Rowling said during the World Book Day Chat March 4, 2004:
Q - Why did you kill Sirius? It made me very sad :(
JK Rowling replies -> I'm really, really sorry. I didn't want to do it, but there was a reason. If you think you can forgive me, keep reading, you'll find out. [I feel really guilty now].

And this one from the Melissa/Emerson interview at the HBP launch:
MA: Our third winner question is from Monique Padelis, who’s 15, of Surrey. How and when was the veil created?

JKR: The veil's been there as long as the Ministry of Magic has been there, and the Ministry of Magic has been there, not as long as Hogwarts, but a long time. We’re talking hundreds of years. It's not particularly important to know exactly when, but centuries, definitely.

MA: Was it used as an execution chamber or just studying?

JKR: No, it's just studying. The Department of Mysteries is all about studying. They study the mind, the universe, death…

MA: Are we going back to that room, that locked room?

JKR: No comment.

lindaluna
October 19th, 2005, 8:53 am
That is such a coincidence - I just referred to these two things on accio brains - and here you've quoted them for me! well quoted them, but in my egotism I think its for me.

Colonel_Fubster
October 19th, 2005, 8:58 am
That is such a coincidence - I just referred to these two things on accio brains - and here you've quoted them for me! well quoted them, but in my egotism I think its for me.

You are very welcome Lindaluna! :D They can be for you if you like! ;)

Lucybird
October 19th, 2005, 9:55 pm
And that the Father's name was ??? Filch, of course.

Unless he took his mother's name

GodricHollow
October 20th, 2005, 6:17 pm
There's always one person who wants to get cocky... :sigh:

Lucybird
October 20th, 2005, 6:34 pm
There's always one person who wants to get cocky... :sigh:

:agree: :lol:

kourtney_xx
October 20th, 2005, 10:23 pm
do you knoe if people always die behind the veil??

Tenshi
October 20th, 2005, 10:30 pm
do you knoe if people always die behind the veil??
I think yes. Why else tried Lupin to stop Harry to follow Sirius? I think he knew that he will die. :shrug:

marauderno5
October 21st, 2005, 5:56 am
question: (sorry if anyones already asked) Whats the deal with James Potter? How did he get to be head boy but not prefect? is that a mistake?