PDA

View Full Version : Hermione, an Animagus?

Grimsqueaker
March 4th, 2004, 10:21 pm
From J.K.s online interview
Class 14: If you were a animagus which animal would you be? and why?
JK Rowling replies:
I gave Hermione my idea animagus, because it's my favourite animal. You'll find the answer in the Room of Requirement, Order of the Phoenix!

''Hermione's patronus, a silver shining otter, was gambolling around her''. :clap: Taken from p535 (the room of requirement scene in 'the centaur and the sneak')Ootp british version.

So now we know, at least one of the gang is animagus! I can only assume the patronus mirrors the animagus form as it does for James Potter ~ the aptly named 'prongs'. No other mention of animal characteristics (such as the many feline adjectives attributed to Ginny) occur in the room of requirement with regards to Hermione.

Incidently the other corporeal patronuses were Cho's swan and Seamus' 'something hairy' :eyebrows:

But could an otter be of any use at all to he order? Unlike the gaint Dog or Stag it wouldn't be any good in combat, or sneaking around like an insect or a cat.. Searching for something at the bottom of the lake maybe?.. Contacting the Merpeople.. :rolleyes:

Nycade
March 4th, 2004, 10:33 pm
If Hermione becomes an Animagus, I'm certain she'll be an otter. I remember reading an interview someplace (any help with finding it would be appreciated... I don't remember where I found it!!!) where J.K. said she picked an otter because they were her favorite animal. So even if the patronus isn't the same as the animagus form, I'm still sure... I only wish I could find that interview!

I like your ideas... it seems likely that the merpeople could come into play again, or something to do with the lake. I'm sure whatever Hermione turns out to be, if indeed she is an Animagus, will have some purpose in the stories. We've learned from experience that J.K. doesn't do much by accident.

Muggle Tiff
March 4th, 2004, 10:45 pm
So now we know, at least one of the gang is animagus! I can only assume the patronus mirrors the animagus form as it does for James Potter ~ the aptly named 'prongs'. No other mention of animal characteristics (such as the many feline adjectives attributed to Ginny) occur in the room of requirement with regards to Hermione.

But wait...was it ever said the James' patronus was a stag? Harry's patronus is a stag, which is James' animagus form. I don't remember ever hearing what James' patronus was, or if he even produced one.

So I don't think there's any proof that a person's patronus and animagus form are the same thing. The equivalent here would be that Hermione's patronus is an otter because her mother or father had some connection to otters, as Harry's father did to a stag.

I also don't think this proves that Hermione is or can be an animagus. I think JKR just meant that what animal she would like to be as an animagus, an otter, she gave to Hermione in the form of her patronus. She didn't say she made it be Hermione's animagus form.

Am I confused? Or does anyone else agree? It's a bit tricky dancing around her interview questions sometimes.

Grimsqueaker
March 4th, 2004, 10:56 pm
Ooops, my bad, i mixed up James and Harrys' form, I still think J.K. meant exactly what she said about 'Giving someone an animagus' though otherwise she would've said i gave Hermione the form of my favourite animal, for whatever, ahe specifically stated in was an animagus form. But i suppose you don't ever really know with her. I stick by my original point though :p

hesdead-dealwithit
March 4th, 2004, 11:01 pm
If Hermione becomes an Animagus, she would most likely become an otter. But there's no reason to think she would become an animagus. They only have two years left before they leave school; that's not very much time to start from the barebones.

Nycade
March 4th, 2004, 11:06 pm
It really could go either way... I have to agree with you, though, Muggle Tiff, because I don't think J.K. would give away Hermione's animagus form when she hasn't ever (to my knowledge, at least) said that Hermione will be an animagi. With that in consideration, it seems like she'd be giving too much away. But, then again, it could be a hint and she could be trying to confuse us. If so, it worked!... so confused :upset:

Muggle Tiff
March 4th, 2004, 11:10 pm
I wonder if she meant animagus or patronus though when she said that. The question was, what animagus would JKR have, and she said she gave it to Hermione. And she did say "I gave Hermione my ideal animagus," but she didn't say, "I made Hermione's animagus the same as my ideal animagus." She then references the otter patronus bit from OotP. So it's actually rather unclear as to whether she meant "my ideal animagus is the same as Hermione's patronus," or "my ideal animagus is the same as Hermione's animagus." She's so good at skirting answers like that. She could have totally meant straight out that it's Hermione's animagus, but her answer is just not 100% either way.

I wonder if it's possible that everyone is potentially an animagus, and she as the writer/creator knows what animal they are, but that not everyone will develop the talent to become an animagus, so the information becomes irrelevant. Like Hermione's middle name. We know it now, but it will have no impact on the story at all.

Nycade
March 4th, 2004, 11:20 pm
Originally posted by Muggle Tiff
I wonder if she meant animagus or patronus though when she said that. The question was, what animagus would JKR have, and she said she gave it to Hermione. And she did say "I gave Hermione my ideal animagus," but she didn't say, "I made Hermione's animagus the same as my ideal animagus." She then references the otter patronus bit from OotP. So it's actually rather unclear as to whether she meant "my ideal animagus is the same as Hermione's patronus," or "my ideal animagus is the same as Hermione's animagus."
Exactly, Muggle Tiff... I guess that's sort of what I was trying to say. I think all we can do is make our best guess and get as much backing information as possible to find out what the probable answer is. J.K. rarely gives major - or even minor - information, so I stand by my speculation that it's likely she didn't mean Hermione's Animagus. I plan to keep coming back to this thread, though... this topic has plenty of ambiguity that should spark some interesting debates!!!

Cat
March 5th, 2004, 12:13 am
If Hermione becomes an Animagus, she would most likely become an otter. But there's no reason to think she would become an animagus. They only have two years left before they leave school; that's not very much time to start from the barebones.

Especially when it has to be done between her hours of frantic studying, getting into serious Voldemort-related trouble and trying to force the house elves to be liberated.

I don't think even Hermione can do that.

I also don't think J. K. Rowling was being intentionally mysterious, I think she just worded her answer in a confusing way. The fact that she refers to that bit in OOPT definitely suggests she was only talking about Hermione's Patronus.

giantsquid28
March 5th, 2004, 12:26 am
Especially when it has to be done between her hours of frantic studying, getting into serious Voldemort-related trouble and trying to force the house elves to be liberated.

I don't think even Hermione can do that.

Unless she "borrowed' a time turner from the time room.... :whistle: In all seriousness, I doubt that Hermione will become an animagi. I think there is just too much going on for pages to be devoted to that. Also, what purpose would it serve?

:tu: muggle tiff ~ I think your first post was right on target.

Nycade
March 5th, 2004, 12:31 am
Anything's possible, we've learned over the course of the books. I do think someone will work on becoming an Animagus. It seems logical... I haven't a clue what purpose it could potentially serve. I do agree that it's not likely that anyone will achieve Animagus status, but the key words in my post so far are "work on"... I would not be surprised if someone attempted it for one reason or another.

rotsiepots
March 5th, 2004, 1:05 am
Unless she "borrowed' a time turner from the time room.... :whistle: In all seriousness, I doubt that Hermione will become an animagi. I think there is just too much going on for pages to be devoted to that. Also, what purpose would it serve?

:tu: muggle tiff ~ I think your first post was right on target.

Exactly. JKR has already said Harry won't become an animagus simply because he's got better things to focus on; certainly the same sentiments could be applied to Hermione. What use would Harry have for an otter (of all creatures) in an "battle" with Voldemort (I use the term "battle" loosely just because we don't know how it's going to unfold). Unless Voldemort decides to launch an all-out assault via water, that is.

Anyway, I don't think Hermione will become an animagus. She's simply taken JKR's animagus form and used it as a Patronus.

Dedalus
March 5th, 2004, 1:12 am
I agree with a lot of people, that she just meant to say that she gave her ideal Animagus to Hermione as a Patronus. I doubt Hermione will become an Animagus, because she's never shown any interest in becoming an animal really, and she'd have to spend so much effort on it. Plus, she has a lot on her plate as it is!

pasalita
March 5th, 2004, 2:44 am
Hm. Considering that not much more speculation can come out of this topic (i.e. in that JKR simply meant that she used her ideal animagus form/animal as Hermoine's patronus to answer the question "If you were a animagus which animal would you be?"), I don't expect this discussion can last much longer.

Feel free to discuss JKR's most recent online chat interview in JKR's World Book Day Chat Transcript (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=23903).

jennymac
March 6th, 2004, 4:18 am
uh...i don't think rowling meant that hermione would be an animagus. i think she meant that if she could choose the form that she herself would take, it would be the form that appeared as hermione's patronus. in otherwords, if rowling were an animagus, she would want to be an otter.

edit: oops. i just realised that some other people have already said this. sorry! :D i should read before i post! lol. i agree that the thread should be closed.

Mary Jane
March 7th, 2004, 9:05 am
Even if Hermione became an otter animagus... in their current locales that wouldn't do much for her. I mean, I could be wrong since I don't know much about otters, but aren't they made for water? Sure they could be on land, but that isn't their habitat. I guess she could always use the prefects' bath for a swim, but I think she'd be fairly limited otherwise.

SeverusSnape
March 7th, 2004, 9:18 am
I agree with MuggleTiff and everyone that agrees with her...I'm not going to repeat what everyone already said though...

SnorkackCatcher
March 7th, 2004, 7:59 pm
Hm. Considering that not much more speculation can come out of this topic (i.e. in that JKR simply meant that she used her ideal animagus form/animal as Hermoine's patronus to answer the question "If you were a animagus which animal would you be?"), I don't expect this discussion can last much longer.

Oh I don't know. One very significant thing to come out of that answer IMHO was that even JKR seems to mentally equate a person's animagus and patronus forms to the point of confusing them in an answer to a question. She also said elsewhere in the chat that the animagus form is not something you can choose, you become the animal you most resemble. Since my arguments (a while back in another thread) were (a) these two forms are likely the same (b) as much dependent on physical appearance as on personality, I was quite pleased to get supporting (if not proving) quotes from the interview!

So does anyone agree with this?

jennymac
March 8th, 2004, 6:12 pm
james animagus was a stag. harry's patronus was a stag, not james'. we don't know what james is.

Cat
March 8th, 2004, 6:23 pm
Oh I don't know. One very significant thing to come out of that answer IMHO was that even JKR seems to mentally equate a person's animagus and patronus forms to the point of confusing them in an answer to a question.

I don't think she confused the two, I think she merely worded her answer rather badly. That isn't hard to believe, since she was answering so many questions on the spot.

Doggy
March 8th, 2004, 7:23 pm
Even though JKR's intervue doesn't mean that Hermione won't be an animagus, I don't think Hermione will be an animagus for two reasons. First of all, if she was, JKR would probably have given her an otter as her animagus, not as her patronus.

Secondly, Harry's not going to be an animagus (JKR said so) and I can't see Hermione and Ron learning to be animagi while Harry goes of doing something else. If Hermione and Ron suggested trying to become one (and I can't see why they would, as several have said, they've got quite enough to do already), Harry would probably try as well.

Grimsqueaker
March 8th, 2004, 8:06 pm
I have to say i was kinda surprised at how militantly against this idea people were. It was only a thought!
I do think it'd be kinda pointless to have Hermione as an animagus in future books (the merpeople thing was a joke btw. ), but ya never know. Rowling did say ''i gave Hermione my ideal animagus'' but she very easily could've meant 'as her patronus' (even though she didn't say it) .If anything it was a typing error because i don't think she makes mistakes like that (which is why i thought i'd mention it in a thread :upset: ).
As for the theory that she'd be too busy, fair enough, but if Peter Pettigrew could do it i'm assuming most people could eventually, afterall 'they've yet to think of a spell our Hermione can't do' :blush:

GryffindorGr
March 8th, 2004, 8:38 pm
I thought she said it out of subconsciousness. Because a patronus is usually (so far) an animal form and an animagi is like a shape shifter--into an animal that suits your personality.

jennymac
March 9th, 2004, 6:00 am
:) i don't think wormtail couldn't had a more suitable animagus :lol:

Baron_G
March 9th, 2004, 9:38 am
What other forms could patronuses be if not animal/bird/etc.? Do other magical creatures qualify?

TheFifthMarauder
March 14th, 2004, 9:00 pm
I agree with a lot of people, that she just meant to say that she gave her ideal Animagus to Hermione as a Patronus. I doubt Hermione will become an Animagus, because she's never shown any interest in becoming an animal really, and she'd have to spend so much effort on it. Plus, she has a lot on her plate as it is!

I agree. Hermione probably won't become an Animagus, she's already preoccupied with her schoolwork and prefect duties. I've always thought of her as some kind of cat--not because she's sneaky, but because of her cleverness.

Chloe
March 14th, 2004, 9:05 pm
i think hermione would be otter/beaver/cat..... she is very clever, and has large teeth ^_^

Chloe
March 14th, 2004, 9:33 pm
i agree highly with you, tane...

TheFifthMarauder
March 14th, 2004, 9:39 pm
I do deep down have to agree with those who state that Hermione and the other will not become animagus wizards and witches as it took the maurders more than 2 years to perfect it. I think the only person that could become an animagus is Harry and that will probably be through an accident.

Hm...if Harry become an Animagus by accident, Ron would probably be right there with him. ;)

Maybe Hermione might help Harry and/or Ron become Animagi...? With her knowledge, it's possible. The Marauders were clever, but I think Hermione is even MORE clever. The trio could accomplish this in two years.

On the other hand, Hermione might be too busy studying to N.E.W.T.s. Those are for seventh years, right? I'm quite sure Hermione started studying for the O.W.L.s in her fourth year. Correct me if I'm wrong.

eXistenZ
March 15th, 2004, 6:12 pm
I was under the impression that Hermiones animagus form was a flying 31245=ldido

mr.berts'n'botts
March 21st, 2004, 12:43 am
i agree with some people. i think that it takes more than 2 years to
do the whole animagi thing.
unless sumone did it secretly...

that makes me wonder. i mean there must b at least
ONE person in harry's year thats trying to become a animagus form
mayb draco?
hah i dunno heh :)

SnorkackCatcher
March 21st, 2004, 1:48 am
that makes me wonder. i mean there must b at least
ONE person in harry's year thats trying to become a animagus form
Not necesarily - it seems to be (a) very difficult and dangerous (b) not always useful if achieved (c) rarely done (only seven registered animagi in a century!) (d) something you would probably only bother to attempt if you had a specific reason (e.g. accompanying a werewolf, spying on people). I'd reckon there could be maybe 3-5x as many unregistered animagi as registered, but that's still only one every few years.

Pegasus
March 21st, 2004, 1:56 am
But wait...was it ever said the James' patronus was a stag? Harry's patronus is a stag, which is James' animagus form. I don't remember ever hearing what James' patronus was, or if he even produced one.

So I don't think there's any proof that a person's patronus and animagus form are the same thing. The equivalent here would be that Hermione's patronus is an otter because her mother or father had some connection to otters, as Harry's father did to a stag.

I also don't think this proves that Hermione is or can be an animagus. I think JKR just meant that what animal she would like to be as an animagus, an otter, she gave to Hermione in the form of her patronus. She didn't say she made it be Hermione's animagus form.

Am I confused? Or does anyone else agree? It's a bit tricky dancing around her interview questions sometimes.
I've always thought that JKR answered the way she did because they're the same thing in her mind. In other words, your Patronus is the same as your Animagus, whether you actually become an Animagus or not. And I think that becoming an Animagus isn't something people are or aren't destined for, it's something you learn.

Lethar
March 21st, 2004, 4:08 am
I've always thought that JKR answered the way she did because they're the same thing in her mind. In other words, your Patronus is the same as your Animagus, whether you actually become an Animagus or not. And I think that becoming an Animagus isn't something people are or aren't destined for, it's something you learn.

Your patronus, as stated in the books, is a form of which you feel, consiously or subconsiously, is your protector. Usualy an animal form. Your animagus form, I believe, is a form which you most relate to. Sometimes it may be the same, but often not. That's how I form it up, at least.

I agree, too, that the trio won't become Animagus anytime soon, though I'm pretty sure Harry might try or it at one point (in the books or later). I'm leaning towards Ginny or Neviell, myself. Maybe Luna. All three of them are powerfull, and have determination. Each his/her own way, of course.

Thoughts?

csteck
June 8th, 2004, 8:08 pm
This is just an educated guess or more accurately a game of connect the dots, but I feel confident that Hermione is NOT a Werewolf, but and Animagus! Now before you click away, please consider the evidence(although circumstantial, numerous):

>>Hermione has a particular attatchment to cats.
In book two, she messes up her polyjuice potion with Milicent Bulstrode's cat's hair and turns into a cat.
But consider that Hermione has secretly been learning how to become an animagi...so instead of her ACCIDENTALLY putting a cat hair in her polyjuice potion, she was actually trying to "morph" but messed up in the process, and passed the problem off to ron and harry as a result of the potion. she also never told madame pomfrey what was wrong, or so we are told.

She goes on to buy Crookshanks.
Sirius comments in the book that the Crookshanks is abnormally smart for a cat, and then in the 3rd movie, both he AND lupin comment that Hermione may well be the smartest wizard of our age. Besides, she spends so much time studying that she is able not only to hide her insecurities in her studies but also things that she doesn't want anyone else to know...such as being able to shapeshift.

I believe she can turn into some kind of cat which would explain why...
She's very sensitive when Ron insults crookshanks as being a cat, as if being a cat is a bad thing. They are constantly arguing.

Hermione tries to talk to/calm down lupin when he turns into a werewolf in the 3rd movie
Since she's not too used to failure at this point she may think that her Animagi abilities just like those of Sirius, James and Wormtail, can get the trio out of harm's way.

Hermione howls like a female werewolf at lupin to pull him away from the PAST HARRY in the 3rd movie
The scene is akward and suggests that Hermione knows a little more than she's letting on to Harry.

In book four she recognizes Rita Skeeter as an Animagus, possibly because she can recognize her own characteristics

In one of the books, Hermione recites that when humans transform, they have specific markings (in the animal form) that are unique to the Animagi.
Long story short, she always seems to know everything there is to know about shapeshifting into either an animal or other creature such as werewolves.

How did Professor McGonagall become an animagus? Did she go to school for it? Probably not...I have an inclination that people who have the disposition for shapeshifting, figure out how to do it FIRST, and then register with the Ministry of Magic.

Could Hermione be a werewolf? possibly, but i believe she shows more feline qualities than wolf.

In any circumstance, we will find out the answer in the last two books, but i feel there is overwhelming evidence to suggest Hermione's abilities.

Please reply and let me know if you find any holes in this theory. Thanks.

mrollivander
June 8th, 2004, 8:15 pm
Well, it's a stretch, but it's possible. However, the Polyjuice incident is in book two, not book one, and Hermione recognizes Rita as a beetle in book four, not book five.

Why wouldn't she tell Harry and Ron she was an animagus, though?

Ron Lover
June 8th, 2004, 8:15 pm
I think that's pretty good evidence. I think very well thought out, I would never have considered this, but after reading it kind of seems to make sense. She does know quite a lot about the subject. But I definitely don't think it would be a werewolf, but definitely some kind of feline.

I <3 Ron
June 8th, 2004, 8:17 pm
From my understanding, a witch or wizard has to learn how to transform, like James, Siruis and Peter did when they were at Hogwarts. Most certaintly Hermione would be capable of doing so, especially if Wormtail could. Although I doubt she'd be ashamed of it, it seems sort of advanced and Hermione takes pride in that.

Also, her howling to distract Lupin probably isn't a very valid clue. Wolves are relatives of dogs, not cats.

csteck
June 8th, 2004, 8:17 pm
thanks Mrolivander, i'm making the changes. :blush:

strawberrypie
June 8th, 2004, 8:18 pm
hey, i dont know about hermione being an animagnus, surely she would tell harry and ron? and anyway in book 4 she was so busy with her school work i doubt she would have had time to do extra secret work alongside that... interesting theory though...i suppose if james/sirius/pettigrew could do it hermione would have no trouble...hmmmmm..

Annabell
June 8th, 2004, 8:21 pm
if she was i think she would tell harry and ron, i mean they r best friends

moon781
June 8th, 2004, 8:22 pm
Interesting theory, but I don't think it can be true. For one, Hermione did not know you could be an illegal animagus(as she finds out at the end of poa) and she's obviously not registered. Plus she would never do something that huge on the breaking the rules scale.

Harry and Ron are intelligent they would have found out.

Most of the evidence given is all stuff that happened in the movie and not the book which means that it is not necesarily true.

And Crookshanks is a kneazle, not just a regular cat.

I think she is just an animal lover, an animal rights activist.

However, maybe in future books she will become one, you never know.

csteck
June 8th, 2004, 8:23 pm
Being an Animagus without registering is a serious crime it seems...so it would be smart of Hermione not to tell anyone. I mean look at how well she kept the time turner from Harry and Ron, who's to say she can't keep other secrets, you know?

razor
June 8th, 2004, 8:25 pm
kind of make sense..but i would think should would take pride in it..we will find out about this in book 6 or 7

csteck
June 8th, 2004, 8:26 pm
"Most of the evidence given is all stuff that happened in the movie and not the book which means that it is not necesarily true." - mooasn781

but we know that JK has worked with Alfonzo to introduce clues into POA the movie that connect to books 6 & 7, and since some of these clues were definitely not in the book, they should be considered BIG HINTS as to what is to come.

mrollivander
June 8th, 2004, 8:31 pm
csteck, Jo and Alfonso didn't WORK to produce clues to future books in the PoA movie, Alfonso did them himself. Jo said she was surprised and "got goosebumps". Alfonso said it was intuition.

Anyway, Moon, I think that Crookshanks is HALF Kneazle, not full-blooded. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that's what Jo said.

csteck
June 8th, 2004, 8:32 pm
with the pride issue, well of course that would be one of her character traits, but as JK has said in interviews, Hermione's craving for knowledege and be a "Know-it-all" is a mask for her insecurities. So as she grows up (especially in book five) she realizes that she no longer needs that facade. Remember the conversation where Hermione was interested in going into a job that she could help free house elves...or something like that...well that's not exactly a job that requires the level of smarts she has, which kinda says she's growing out of having to know everything and THUS she may not have a desire to become an animagus later on in the story line, which makes it all more a suprise when we find out for sure, and still fits into her personal growth.

I <3 Ron
June 8th, 2004, 8:34 pm
The bit about her not telling Ron and Harry is interesting. If she was able to transform, maybe there's a reason she isn't telling Ron and Harry. Maybe she's some sort of spy?

csteck
June 8th, 2004, 8:34 pm
i just asked my brother and i concede that crookshanks is INDEED a kneazle--sorry. he said that in one of her for-non-profit books she DOES explain that crookshanks is a kneazle. so you guys are right on that.

but what exactly is a kneazle? is it a cat-like creature? or something else?

csteck
June 8th, 2004, 8:38 pm
mrollivander, i did see the interview where she said alfonzo got some of the meanings...goosebups, etc. but before he got started on the movie he sat down with her and steve what's hisname(the screenwriter) to make sure he would be setting up the movie to conitinuitous through movie #7. so she may not have directly told him what would happen, but it makes the most sense for her to have dropped hints to him to make sure the characters and plot evolved corretly on screen.

razor
June 8th, 2004, 8:38 pm
but what exactly is a kneazle? is it a cat-like creature? or something else?
Yeah, what is a kneazle, i dont remember reading something about a kneazle =/

Ron Lover
June 8th, 2004, 8:40 pm
Someone said above it would tell Ron and Harry because they are best friends. Wrong, just look at how much Harry kept from them in book 5 and Ron hid the quidditch training from Harry. Maybe she just doesn't want them telling her she shouldn't do it because she'll get in trouble if someone finds out!

Don't take this the wrong way or anything, but Harry and Ron aren't exactly the top of their class, plus they are always so busy with school work and quidditch, etc they would probably not notice, they didn't notice the Time Turner did they? Plus they are exactly good with knowing how girls act, so they would probably just think she is studying!

RemusLupinFan
June 8th, 2004, 8:41 pm
A Kneazle is an intelligent cat-like animal that can detect anyone untrustworthy. For more information see Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

mrollivander
June 8th, 2004, 8:42 pm
A kneazle is a cat-like creature that can sense untrustworthiness or something like that... Hence Crookshanks being hell-bent on destroying Scabbers. However, I can't find my "Fantastic Beasts" book right now, so I can't give an exact answer.

I'm almost positive Crookshanks is HALF kneazle, though.

Csteck, Jo drops hints of what's to come in the BOOKS... She doesn't need to drop hints to Alfonso. You could probably figure out some of the things she foreshadows if you just think about them... Which, I'm sure, is what Alfonso did.

csteck
June 8th, 2004, 8:42 pm
I <3 RON, i have heard theories on the HPANA forum that she might be working for dumbledore to protect/help harry. i'm not sure how i feel about that theory, but i have heard others express the same.

Mrollivander, i actually do see your point, the hints could mean that either she is an animagus/werewolf now, or will become one later on. i do see this. thanks.

I <3 Ron
June 8th, 2004, 8:44 pm
From Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
Kneazle
M.O.M. Classification: XXX
The Kneazle was origanlly bred in Britain, though it is now exported worldwide. A small catlike creature with flecked, speckled, or spotted fur, outsize ears, and a tail like a lion's, the Kneazle is intelligent, independent, and occasionally aggressive, though if it takes a liking to a witch or wizard, it makes an excellent pet. The Kneazle has an uncanny ability to detect unsavoury or suspicious characters and can be relied upon to guide its owner safely home if they are lost. Kneazles have up to eight kittens in a litter and can intercreed with cats. Licences are required for ownership as (like Crups and Fwoopers) Kneazles are sufficiently unusual in appearance to attract Muggle interest.

Hm... sounds oddly like Hermione.

Ron Lover
June 8th, 2004, 8:46 pm
If you go to JK's official site, she says that Crookshanks is not a normal cat, but half Kneazle.

mrollivander
June 8th, 2004, 8:47 pm
Yup. Crookshanks is definetley just part-kneazle.

csteck
June 8th, 2004, 8:47 pm
no, i agree with you mrollivander, that the hints do come from the book, but remember this movie series is in the billions, and when people work with projects that are SO expensive, they need to ENSURE that there are very few mistakes. which leads me to beleive that JK has made it clear to the people making the movie that certain things need to be expressed and at what time, or else the series could run into trouble. i mean imagine a situation where the movie went in the worng direction and set up a plot device that would not work with books 6 & 7 which she is still writing. it would be a bad situation b/c the movies then would not correspond with the books.

i guess in the end we all have our opinions.

mrollivander
June 8th, 2004, 8:50 pm
Well of course Jo works with them on that! Watch the interview with Jo and Kloves on the CoS DVD... they talk about it. They say that Kloves will call Jo up and be like "Should I leave this in..." and so on. But, as for the "Hints" in PoA movie, Jo said that she DIDN'T tell Alfonso. That's why she got goosebumps.

csteck
June 8th, 2004, 8:51 pm
thanks RON and RON thanks good to know. so now we can cross off the crookshanks connection. Although, there is still the situation in the book where Sirius comments on the intelligence of crookshanks, which IS Hermione's pet, but instead in the movie, crookshanks takes a back seat, and Lupin & Sirius comment on Hermione possibly being the smartest witch of thier age.

I just think there's a connection.

csteck
June 8th, 2004, 8:52 pm
mrollivander, ok. i understand what you were trying to get across. you are right, i concede.

mrollivander
June 8th, 2004, 8:57 pm
"Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" US edition, hardback, chapter seventeen, page 346:

Lupin forced a laugh.
"You really are the cleverest witch of your age I've ever met, Hermione."

In the movie, Sirius says it, too. The whole Crookshanks being Sirius' pal in the book was left out in the movie, so he never commented about Crookshank's intelligence.

Azimuth
June 8th, 2004, 9:03 pm
Hermione has a particular attatchment to cats.
So do I. Why would she try to turn herself into a cat, if she knew that it wasn't meant for animal transformations?

She goes on to buy Crookshanks.
This doesn't mean that she is an animagus. This means that she wanted to buy a cat.

I believe she can turn into some kind of cat which would explain why...
She's very sensitive when Ron insults crookshanks as being a cat, as if being a cat is a bad thing. They are constantly arguing.
Ron insults Crookshanks because he's been attacking his rat. If someone insults your pet, you're going to be a little sensitive.

Hermione tries to talk to/calm down lupin when he turns into a werewolf in the 3rd movie
Maybe because she doesn't want to die?

Since she's not too used to failure at this point she may think that her Animagi abilities just like those of Sirius, James and Wormtail, can get the trio out of harm's way.
How can turning into a cat save four people from a ferocious werewolf?

Hermione howls like a female werewolf at lupin to pull him away from the PAST HARRY in the 3rd movie
The scene is akward and suggests that Hermione knows a little more than she's letting on to Harry.
She knows that werewolves are attracted by the call of their own kind - she used her initiative.

In book four she recognizes Rita Skeeter as an Animagus, possibly because she can recognize her own characteristics
She's a clever witch, and she recognised the clues that were there for all of us to see.

In one of the books, Hermione recites that when humans transform, they have specific markings (in the animal form) that are unique to the Animagi.
Long story short, she always seems to know everything there is to know about shapeshifting into either an animal or other creature such as werewolves.
That's because she's Hermione Granger. She knows everything.

csteck
June 8th, 2004, 9:05 pm
does sirius say it too in the book? (i don't have the book right now)

b/c if it doesn't then it's important to note that it is said twice(in the movie), even if it doesn't add or subtract to my theory. repetition is huge, that's why i got suspicious when she approached lupin(the werewolf) to help(i mean she's a REALLY smart witch, so why would she risk her life to talk to lupins if SHE KNOWS all about werewolves and how they will "kill there best friend" once they transform), and then howl like a girl werewolf(was that in the book too?) (how would she know it would draw lupin away from the others?) it just doesn't add up.

I <3 Ron
June 8th, 2004, 9:11 pm
no it's not in the book (her howling like a werewolf as a diversion), Lupin leaves them to chase Sirius, but she knew that howling like a wolf would drawl Lupin to her because of her class with Snape, and probably her further readings about werewolves.

mrollivander
June 8th, 2004, 9:11 pm
The howling wasn't in the book, no. In the book, Harry and Hermione only interfered once, with the Patronus. In the movie, they interfere three times.

No, I can't find it anywhere in the book where Sirius repeats Lupin.

eowiodith
June 8th, 2004, 9:46 pm
even if she isnt an animagus now these few signs could mean she would like to be an animagus in future books or is trying to become one now.

PrincessJess
June 8th, 2004, 9:49 pm
I think its just a coincidence

Ron Lover
June 8th, 2004, 9:50 pm
The howling wasn't in the book, no. In the book, Harry and Hermione only interfered once, with the Patronus. In the movie, they interfere three times.

No, I can't find it anywhere in the book where Sirius repeats Lupin.

I thought the extra two interferences were great. The rock was hilarious.

But I think a lot of these are good view. Sure she might not be a Animagus, but whose to say she can't be. Do one doubts she's absolutely the smarted witch of her age, but there are quite a few things that may lead to her becoming one.

csteck
June 8th, 2004, 10:08 pm
i also liked the extra interferences. although i would count the time hermione saw the back of her hair, as a fourth interference. i think that was my favorite one, very funny(well beside the patronus)

speaking of the patronus...what did you guys think? i remember the book saying that the stag ran around and scared away the dementors, but then again i may be thinking that from book 5. anyway in the movie the stag appeared and kinda pulsed the area. personally i thought it was genius b/c it showed a glimpse of harry's power yet to be discovered. :tu:

Josiah45
June 8th, 2004, 10:10 pm
I don't think that hermione would try to become an animagus because it is dangerous and she is like the Queen of safety. (i.e. harrys broom, etc...) She would also know it is illegal and hardly ever disregards the rules.

Ron Lover
June 8th, 2004, 10:26 pm
i also liked the extra interferences. although i would count the time hermione saw the back of her hair, as a fourth interference. i think that was my favorite one, very funny(well beside the patronus)

speaking of the patronus...what did you guys think? i remember the book saying that the stag ran around and scared away the dementors, but then again i may be thinking that from book 5. anyway in the movie the stag appeared and kinda pulsed the area. personally i thought it was genius b/c it showed a glimpse of harry's power yet to be discovered. :tu:

Oh, I guess that does count as an interference. I thought that was funny as well, just look at my sig.

Also I could have sworn that the stag hits the dementors, but the way Cauron shot it in such a wide lense, helped show just how powerful it was! csteck, we should talk sometime, I like your ideas!

mevam
June 8th, 2004, 10:33 pm
It does seem to be possible, because Hermione is the type to always try and go over her head in terms of learning. At a DA meeting in OOTP, Hermione uses the Hormorphus charm on the Galleons to use as meeting indicators, and one of the members says, "That's NEWT standard!" and that made me think that perhaps Hermione is always so busy not because of her course load, because she seems to be smart enough to manage that, but with other less than legal spell work outside of school.

Da_Chinkster
June 8th, 2004, 10:38 pm
I would have to agree with Josiah. Hermione has only broken the rules when she thinks there is a real need ot do so. She has no reason to become an Animagus and I really cant see her breaking such a big rule

Ron Lover
June 8th, 2004, 10:43 pm
I would have to agree with Josiah. Hermione has only broken the rules when she thinks there is a real need ot do so. She has no reason to become an Animagus and I really cant see her breaking such a big rule

But whose to say she won't need it. James, Sirius and Peter became them because they wanted to help Remus. But look how useful being a dog was to Sirius. He survived Azkaban, conceals himself, werewolf attack. Maybe she's doing it for the future. Plus maybe it's not just a cat, but a cougar or lion or something like that. I mean she definitely belongs to Gryffindor with her bravery, so who knows.

mevam
June 8th, 2004, 10:52 pm
I mean she definitely belongs to Gryffindor with her bravery, so who knows.

Yes, I've always wondered why Hermione was put in Gryffindor instead of Ravenclaw.
Here's a quote from OOTP:

'You can do a Protean Charm?' said Terry Boot.

'Yes', said Hermione.

'But that's... that's NEWT standard, that is', he said weakly.

'Oh', said Hermione, trying to look modest. 'Oh... well... yes, I suppose it is.'

'How come you're not in Ravenclaw?' he demanded, staring at Hermione with something close to wonder. 'With brains like yours?'

'Well, the Sorting Hat did seriously consider putting me in Ravenclaw during my Sorting', said Hermione brightly, 'but it decided on Gryffindor in the end. So, does that mean we're using the Galleons?'

Hermione has been brave, but she's never been anything exceptional or close to Harry in terms of risking it all. She had a lot of common sense, and so it made me wonder if the sorting hat only decided to throw her in Gryffindor because it knew about her Animagus plans in her head. Hermione can't be all study and book wormish, because she would have been in Ravenclaw in that case.

Ron Lover
June 8th, 2004, 10:56 pm
Yeah, but I think that Hermione is just as brave as Harry. She hasn't done as much only because the books are about him and not her. I mean she helps him with almost everything. She is very smart in terms of books, but I think her bravery surpasses that. I mean look at Dumbledore, wasn't he in Gryffindor. He's freakin' brilliant, but he has more bravery I think.

Kelfa21
June 8th, 2004, 11:03 pm
I don't think there is very good evidence in the books that suggest she is an animagus

First of all she is a stickler for rule abiding...she even states that it can't be possible for Sirius to be an Animagus because he hasnt registeredhimself with the ministry in book three...

Why would she break a rule and secretly be doing something illegal

Which brings me to my next point...why would she want to become an Animagus? There is no evidence I've read in the books that points to her secretly being an Animagus or evidence that would support why she would want to become one...

Everything you've listed as "evidence" is nothing more than stuff she could find in books or just plain sympathy...

Yes, she is very good at keeping secrets...but there is no reason for her to keep a secret like this

Ron Lover
June 8th, 2004, 11:08 pm
I don't think there is very good evidence in the books that suggest she is an animagus

First of all she is a stickler for rule abiding...she even states that it can't be possible for Sirius to be an Animagus because he hasnt registeredhimself with the ministry in book three...

Why would she break a rule and secretly be doing something illegal

Which brings me to my next point...why would she want to become an Animagus? There is no evidence I've read in the books that points to her secretly being an Animagus or evidence that would support why she would want to become one...

Everything you've listed as "evidence" is nothing more than stuff she could find in books or just plain sympathy...

Yes, she is very good at keeping secrets...but there is no reason for her to keep a secret like this

That's true but look at how you first view the books, I never picked up on stuff, like in the fifth book, when Winky was running into the forest and it seemed like something was hold her back. No one ever thought that it was Barty Jr. So I mean, no one I think can interpret these books except JK herself.

Plus as being a stickler for the rules, look at how many rules she's already broken! Besides the obvious, but she left Hogwarts grounds in the fifth book to go to the MoM, I'm sure that's not allowed. She was in the Department of Mysterious, a restricted section. She put Rita Skeeter in a jar and blackmailed her to keep quiet and not write about Harry, I'm mean that's not very rule abiding to me.

I don't I bet all of us that has posted it wrong. I'm sure JK has a whole different plan for Hermione anyways.

csteck
June 8th, 2004, 11:11 pm
IMPORTANT:

I need to respond to the Crookshanks/Cat/Kneazle debate.

Just watched the special on POA @: http://channelevents.aol.com/movies/harrypotter/main.adp

and there is a clip of hermione and ron arguing in the Leaky Cauldron and they call Crookshanks a CAT. The theme of the scene is a "CAT AND MOUSE GAME". So it's not so important that Crookshanks is half kneazle, but that he has actions of a cat, which in my opinion what she becomes/or will become when she's an animagus. Which connects the idea that Hermione possibly bought crookshanks subconsciously or consciously of her animagus character.

DracosGirl226
June 8th, 2004, 11:18 pm
hmm... i actually never really thought about that... but it would fit... hmmmm maybe she is... Well we will find out in one of the books sometime soon!

RubberSoul
June 8th, 2004, 11:19 pm
Anything's possible, I suppose. There's also the fact that lots of parallels are drawn between Hermione and McGonagall, particularly in the last 2 books, and that since McGonagall's an Animagus, then Hermione might be/might become an Animagus. Honestly though, you can read anything into anything.

She can't be an Animagus yet however...that's for sure. When James & co. did it, there were three of them working together. Hermione would be very much alone in doing this, and there's no way she tried to learn how to be one the first book. If it took two really intelligent teenagers three years to learn how to become Animagi, then we can assume it would take Hermione at LEAST as long as they did. Hermione being an Animagus just doesn't seem likely at all.

Maybe because she doesn't want to die?
And, again using her initiative, she notices that he's having a very vulnerable moment. He's not leaping on top of her - he's standing there whimpering. She was trying to see if she could get a connection with him.

nikkinoodles
June 8th, 2004, 11:22 pm
if hermione was an animagus, which i highly doubt, then wouldnt she be the same as her patronus, and although i cant remember that rite now, i remember that it werent a cat, i think it mite have bin an otter? so she cudnt be a cat.
and jk sed that none of the trio wud become animagus

she is definately not a werewolf, she doesnt get sick once a month, etc.
thou i wont doubt the possibility of her becoming one.

Incanus
June 8th, 2004, 11:35 pm
Well, it's interesting, but unlikely. I mean, it's possible, but I don't think it's going to happen. But she is clever enough to do that.

Clarify me something: can someone tell me all the rules to become an animagus. I know it's illegal not to be registered, but what else?

Ron Lover
June 8th, 2004, 11:42 pm
if hermione was an animagus, which i highly doubt, then wouldnt she be the same as her patronus, and although i cant remember that rite now, i remember that it werent a cat, i think it mite have bin an otter? so she cudnt be a cat.
and jk sed that none of the trio wud become animagus

I didn't know JK said that, she could always change her mind though...but just because her patronus is an otter it doesn't mean she would turn in that. I mean, if Harry became an Animagi I don't think he would turn into a stag, even though his dad did. But patronus' are unique to there person, so James patronus couldn't have been a stag if Harry's was.

TravDogg
June 8th, 2004, 11:43 pm
Hermione's animagus form would be an otter. In the World Book Day Chat, someone asked JK something like what her animagus form would be, and she said that she gave it to Hermione, and to look in the room of requirements in OotP. In the chapter The Centaur and the Sneak, we see that Hermione's patronus is an otter. I therefore think that a person's patronus is the same as their animagus.

csteck
June 8th, 2004, 11:47 pm
mrollivander, just read a post over on the "A Cemetery at Hogwarts". Thought yolu'd be interested.

In an interview on BBC's newsround (TV) today Alfonso revealed that JK asked him not to include a graveyard at Hogwarts as it was to be in book six. What do you think will happen there.
Could it be where James and Lily are buried?

I beleive thsi to show that JK was in communication as to what needed to be in and out of the movie. Your thoughts?

csteck
June 8th, 2004, 11:51 pm
Hermione's animagus form would be an otter. In the World Book Day Chat, someone asked JK something like what her animagus form would be, and she said that she gave it to Hermione, and to look in the room of requirements in OotP. In the chapter The Centaur and the Sneak, we see that Hermione's patronus is an otter. I therefore think that a person's patronus is the same as their animagus.

i've read this before too, but that would mean that harry would turn into a stag as an animagus. ALTHOUGH...didn't James's patronus become a stag, and his nick name was PRONGS...so maybe you're on to something TravDogg. Will have to think on this. Thanks.

Kelfa21
June 9th, 2004, 12:11 am
That's true but look at how you first view the books, I never picked up on stuff, like in the fifth book, when Winky was running into the forest and it seemed like something was hold her back. No one ever thought that it was Barty Jr. So I mean, no one I think can interpret these books except JK herself.

Plus as being a stickler for the rules, look at how many rules she's already broken! Besides the obvious, but she left Hogwarts grounds in the fifth book to go to the MoM, I'm sure that's not allowed. She was in the Department of Mysterious, a restricted section. She put Rita Skeeter in a jar and blackmailed her to keep quiet and not write about Harry, I'm mean that's not very rule abiding to me.

I don't I bet all of us that has posted it wrong. I'm sure JK has a whole different plan for Hermione anyways.

Yes....Hermione has broken rules before but she had very good reason too....the point I was getting at was there is nothing in the books that suggest she has reason to become an animagus...

I agree that J.K has a way of surprizing her readers...but she also has a way of dropping subtle and unarguable hints...we had no idea that it was Barty Crouch Jr under an invisibility cloak but we did know that Winky was being held back, you can't argue with that...we were introduced to Barty Crouch Jr. and we also knew that there was something obviously wrong with Mr. Crouch

Not exactly the moxt obvious structure...but you get the idea...I'm just arguing that it seems highly unlikely that Hermione would suddenly decided to become an Animagus in these first five books without any need for it

SbIlRaIcUkS
June 9th, 2004, 2:43 am
csteck a very well thought theory and im interested to see if you are right as the 6th and 7th books come out...it is a little of a stretch but my guess is she tried to just elude to it a couple times not to make it obvious at all but having to do some research to find out anything if Hermione is an animagus....but she is almost always with ron or harry save for at night but what reason would she have to desire to transform then...

felton_rox
June 9th, 2004, 2:52 am
I think that is definetly and excellent theory. But there is one thing, Crookshanks is half kneazle, you find this out on JK's official site. Maybe Hermione's a kneazle

lilbit
June 9th, 2004, 3:05 am
It seems like we're making a lot of assumptions here. Harry's FATHER'S animagi form is a stag. Where does it say that Harry's would be? Or, for that matter that a wizard's patronus and animagi form have to be the same?

As for all the talk about Hermione breaking the rules- does she really have to? There are legal, registered animagi. If she really wanted to, couldn't she become one of them?

That said, I think there are probably enough animagi in the books already.

Josiah45
June 9th, 2004, 3:14 am
Is it possible to become an Animagus if you aren't born one?

Da_Chinkster
June 9th, 2004, 3:18 am
As for all the talk about Hermione breaking the rules- does she really have to? There are legal, registered animagi. If she really wanted to, couldn't she become one of them?

I thought you can only become a registered Animagi after you finish school. Therefore if Hermione is an Animagi then she would be breaking hte rules

Phxtvlr
June 9th, 2004, 3:33 am
I don't know that it says anywhere that you have to be out of school to become an animagus. Just that it is so difficult that they usually have witches/wizards with you when you try to become one so that they can help out if necessary. I think that Hermoine has shown, especially over the last 2 books, her willingness to disregard the rules if she thinks its worthwhile.

She's also shown us that teachers are willing to help her to 'break the rules' (see use of the timeturner in PoA) if she does it supervised and for the right reasons. I wouldn't doubt that Hermoine might find it....interesting if just from a "scientific" perspective to see if she could do it...especially if Wormtail could to do it..... :rotfl:

moon781
June 10th, 2004, 7:57 pm
You don't have to be out of school, you have to have permission from the ministry of magic. That way they can monitor your progress and make sure nothing goes horribly wrong because it is complicated magic.

Hermione would never do something like this without permission(I don't think). But maybe eventually she will become one legally.

Kelfa21
June 10th, 2004, 8:21 pm

Yes...it says so in the books...it takes years to learn to become one because the transfermatin can go horribly wrong....

lilbit
June 11th, 2004, 6:10 am
I wonder if the Polyjuice incedent might be forshadowing of Hermione becoming an animagus who becomes a cat. On the other hand, the whole experience may turn her off of such experimentation. Who Knows?

csteck
June 11th, 2004, 7:00 am
testing my new signature.

rednow
June 11th, 2004, 7:16 am
otter.. POtter?? lol

Incendio
June 11th, 2004, 10:27 pm
Nice idea :tu:

armjachewa
July 11th, 2004, 6:38 pm

who ever said Hermione ISNT already one or part one she spends alot of time in the library and excels at almost all her subjects (apart from divination but thats just guesswork and telling Harry he's going to die :D )

Princess Hermione
July 12th, 2004, 5:20 am
who ever said Hermione ISNT already one or part one she spends alot of time in the library and excels at almost all her subjects (apart from divination but thats just guesswork and telling Harry he's going to die :D )
LOL! You have a very good point there!

aluminium
July 12th, 2004, 5:32 am
I wonder if the Polyjuice incedent might be forshadowing of Hermione becoming an animagus who becomes a cat. On the other hand, the whole experience may turn her off of such experimentation. Who Knows?But wasn't that just because she got a cat hair from the girl's robe, instead of the girl's hair?

(edited to add an apostrophe to a word)

Floria
July 12th, 2004, 6:00 am
Perhaps I'm wrong, but it seems that some people are confused (or maybe I'm the one who's confused?...). Didn't JKR say on her website (or maybe it was the World Book Day Chat) that Hermione's ANIMAGUS FORM could be found in the room of requirement? We all know that she wasn't transforming into an animagus, but conjuring a patronus...however, that means that her patronus and animagus form are the same.

Now, forgive me for joining this discussion so late, but if JKR states that Hermione's patronus is also her animagus form, it must mean that she will become an animagus in the future. Otherwise, her form would be entirely irrelevant. I have a feeling she'll be starting her transfiguration work in the next book.

TaraBrady
July 12th, 2004, 6:14 am
I always thought that an animagus assumed the form of their spirit animal when they transformed, but I guess there's no evidence that that has to be true, just because it happened to be so with James.

I think that if anyone could learn to become an Animagus in just two years, it's Hermione, and you're right, Phxtvlr, I think she'd see it as a nice challenge.

bethp
July 12th, 2004, 6:23 am
Well, if you think about it, in the last few books she has dropped a lot of clues about Hermione reading up on animagi - there was the incident with Rita Skeeter, and somewhere else it mentions her looking up PM and her animagi form in the MoM records....I think she has been doing research on it all along and may even have the help or permission from PM...Hermione has a lot of uncounted hours that she spends in the library while Ron and Harry ignore studting to play chess, exploding snap, quiddich, etc....it is highly possible she could become an animagus. BUT I don't see any use in an otter...unless the lake comes into play again...come to think of it JKR mentions the giant squid a lot:-)

DarkThunder
July 12th, 2004, 8:54 am
No. Hermione's favourite animal is also the form of her Patronus, Jo said.

filius
July 12th, 2004, 2:41 pm
I don't think Hermione is an animagus. Not yet anyway... Maybe in future books. JK said that she can relate to Hermione becasue she was like that in her youth. So it would make sense if Hermione's animagus was an otter. Just like James's patronus and animagus form are the same. JK said that she likes otters so that really makes sense. So, if Hermione does in fact become an animagus, i do think it will be an otter as well.

JasmineFlower
July 12th, 2004, 3:40 pm
I'm pretty sure JK just meant that she used her ideal Animagus as Hermione's Patronus.

padfoot4567
July 13th, 2004, 8:59 pm
not likely..........

fleur822
July 13th, 2004, 9:03 pm
just because hermione reads up on animagi a lot doesnt mean she is one. of course shes up to it and she migth become one later in the series. but now, i say nay and say that you people read too much into these things sometimes

the kryle
July 13th, 2004, 9:34 pm
i always thought that harry would be, sinceihis father was.

Floria
July 13th, 2004, 9:46 pm
I'm pretty sure JK just meant that she used her ideal Animagus as Hermione's Patronus.

I really don't think so. I think JKR meant what she said, precisely.

On to the topic of Hermione becoming a registered animagus: Is it possible that she would volunteer to become an unregistered animagus for the order? I know that her form doesn't seem like much, but perhaps a situation will arise in which it would prove useful. An unregistered animagus might be a great asset.

FredWeasleyJr
July 13th, 2004, 9:52 pm
of couse its possible...james sirius n wormtail all became animagi while in school to give lupin a friendwen hes a werewolf

i really thought and hoped that harry ron n hermione would become animagi but i dont htink it will happen because it took the mauraders 3 yrs

Floria
July 13th, 2004, 10:10 pm
Is it even possible to be born an animagus? Are ya'll thinking about METAMORPHAGUS? Because you HAVE to be born a metamorphagus. I don't think you can be born an animagus.

bethp
July 13th, 2004, 10:23 pm
just because hermione reads up on animagi a lot doesnt mean she is one. of course shes up to it and she migth become one later in the series. but now, i say nay and say that you people read too much into these things sometimes

No I didn't mean she was one already...just that she might become one since she seems to be interested in it and they have mentioned it a few time in conjunction with her.

Anamaya
July 13th, 2004, 10:31 pm
She could become one...it's very likely. She's smart, so she could definitely do it.

Brett Lovegood
July 14th, 2004, 12:17 am
[QUOTE=Grimsqueaker]From J.K.s online interview
JK Rowling replies:
I gave Hermione my idea animagus, because it's my favourite animal. You'll find the answer in the Room of Requirement, Order of the Phoenix!

In an earlier interview she mentioned an otter was her favorite animal. For book reference see the magical worlds of Harry Potter by David Colbert.

I can only assume a belive this means Hermione will be an otter. (why?) :rotfl:

Stephie
July 14th, 2004, 2:26 am
I have a question...otters have buck teeth, right?

So Hermione used to have buck teeth, and her partnus was an otter. Maybe she'll become and animaus, but I don't think she currently is.

Gwenog Jones
July 14th, 2004, 2:33 am
From J.K.s online interview
JK Rowling replies:

When JKR says, MY IDEA animagus, I would assume she is saying that if JKR was an animagus, she'd be an otter. Also, I don't think that anywhere in the books there is evidence of someone's patronus matching their animagus form.

Remus Black
July 19th, 2004, 3:29 am
Yes perhaps she could contact the merpeople to help in the war!

Lavender Brown
July 19th, 2004, 4:23 am
I think of the trio, Hermione is the most capable of becoming an animagus, and if the situation called for HArry to train to become one, I think that Hermione would probably want to become one to so she could help him.

SiriusBlack22
July 19th, 2004, 5:03 am
Hermione? Animagus? No.

bluepicklezz
July 19th, 2004, 5:49 pm
Even at 17 (which is the last book so we won't find out anything about their later life anyway) they are too young to become an animagus.

TaraBrady
July 19th, 2004, 5:59 pm
Now, we know that's not true! James, Sirius, and even Peter managed it at (I think) 15! I'm sure if Hermione put her mind to it, she could be one by the end of the series. Heck, she could be one by the end of the summer!

IceKat55
July 19th, 2004, 6:31 pm
I'm sure if Hermione put her mind to it, she could be one by the end of the series. Heck, she could be one by the end of the summer!
:lol: Yep, knowing Hermione, she'd have it mastered by the weekend!! :lol:

fawkes_song6
October 24th, 2004, 11:09 am
JK said herself that her fav animal was an otter, so she might make Hermione be able to turn into an otter at will.

P.S- Can an animagus turn into a creature like a phoenix?

Taleeya
October 24th, 2004, 1:42 pm
I think she'll turn into an animagus. Since its a difficult thing to do, I think she would do it just to prove she could!

LS fan aSoUE
October 24th, 2004, 2:20 pm
i think if hermione were going to be an amigus she would have told harry and ron. this would be an especially good disguise tactic for harry's protection so i think she would probably even help harry become one too.

woop
October 24th, 2004, 3:44 pm
i think she's going to become a warewolf!

Yrraine
October 24th, 2004, 5:20 pm
I thought JKR said Harry wouldn't become an animagus, though this was a while ago, and I may be wrong. And in one book (GoF?) he considered becoming an animagus, but "no, he would have known by now if he was one."
So I still don't understand them--do many people have the innate capacity, say 1/3 of wizards, but most don't put in the intensive study needed? It just seems odd that 3 potential animagi would be in the same year and house if the potential wasn't somewhat common. I wouldn't be surprised if most, like Rita, are unregistered. It just seems so useful--after book 3 I'd pictured a final fight in which students were transforming into animagi left and right, but that doesn't seem to be happening.
If it's a matter of study, I'd be surprised if Hermione doesn't become an animagus. But if it takes innate capacity which is developed with much study, I suppose animagi could be done for the books.

Aurum
October 24th, 2004, 5:44 pm
I think by "giving it to Hermione" she was referring to Crookshanks. She's not saying Hermione is an animagus, or that she isn't one. She's simply saying that her own animagus form would be a cat, which is what she gave to Hermione. (Yeah yeah, I know Crookshanks isn't a full cat, but still...)

hpzilla
October 24th, 2004, 6:21 pm
i think if hermione were going to be an amigus she would have told harry and ron. this would be an especially good disguise tactic for harry's protection so i think she would probably even help harry become one too.

Well Hermione didn't tell them about the time turner untill she really had to so maybe she might be keeping another secret from them

FoxyDoxy
October 24th, 2004, 6:32 pm
I think by "giving it to Hermione" she was referring to Crookshanks. She's not saying Hermione is an animagus, or that she isn't one. She's simply saying that her own animagus form would be a cat, which is what she gave to Hermione. (Yeah yeah, I know Crookshanks isn't a full cat, but still...)

I thought she meant Otters. They're her favorite animal (she's not keen on cats)she gave hermione her favorite animal as a patronus

Aurum
October 24th, 2004, 6:37 pm
fawkes_song6 - We still don't know if animagi can be magical creatures, if they can, if they adopt their distinguishing characteristics. In the conspiracy about Godric Gryiffindor being Fawkes, we discussed this in great detail. It's also not clear what the link between animagi and patronuses is, or if there is one at all.

And you're right FoxyDoxy, I didn't consider the Room of Requirement that she mentioned in the answer. Unless we're overlooking something in the RoR scenes, I can't remember Crookshanks ever being referenced to it at all, or even going in there.

Tane
October 24th, 2004, 6:38 pm
It is possible that she is an animagus but then again there was only one other unregistered animagus and didn't JKR state that Dumbledore was an animagus so would that not make the last animagus in the book as he was not on the list of registered wizards for such magic.

Aurum
October 24th, 2004, 6:45 pm
I'm sure Dumbledore is an animagus, he's too old and wise to not have learnt how. Incidently, Dumbledore is old english for bumblebee. ;)

ECP
October 24th, 2004, 10:11 pm
first of all, if hermione had been an animagus for any length of time, it wouldn't have taken her so long to catch Rita Skeeter. Secondly. sirius, james, and lupin were all the brightest students in their day. if took them years to master becoming animagi, i don't think even Hermione could manage it in 1. (it would have to be one, since it wouldn't do much good if she became an animagus at the end of book 7)

maybe mrs. weasley is the unregistered animagus! ooooooh!

Cine
October 25th, 2004, 3:47 pm
I don't think Hermione is an animagus. It would be way out of character for her to be an unregistred Animagus, I mean, you've seen how she acts about laws and rules! :)

Also, to the thing about Hermione having to be a otter Animagus because it's her Patronus, I don't think so. The Patronus is a protecter, and Harry's is a stag because a stag represents his father, which sure is pretty much like a protecter. We don't know the signifiace of Hermiones otter Patronus, but I don't see her being a otter Animagus. Do you really think Harry would be a stag, too, if he was an Animagus?

crumseekerlynch
October 26th, 2004, 2:58 am
She may not be an animagus yet.

muggledeedee
November 17th, 2004, 6:52 pm
I agree.....she definitely has the ability to become animgus. From what I can gather from reading the books is that to become animagus is like being able to apparate. You have to be registered which means you have to take a test....which means that it has to be learned. And if anyone from the series will have the ability it will be Hermoine.

Mafalda Weasley
November 26th, 2004, 3:29 am
I highly doubt that Hermione would become a animagud illeagaly. She would be sure to follow all the rules and register. We would know for sure that she was if she is one. However; she may become one.