PDA

View Full Version : Is Cho Chang Asian?

kwachon
April 16th, 2004, 8:02 pm
Last year, another thread tried to ask this question along with another question of why so many people hated Cho Chang all of a sudden. The answers were all concentrated on the hate question, and later on people just assumed Cho was Asian. The question of 'is Cho Asian or not' wasn't really ever discussed.

Well, it seems that the concensus among HP fans is that Cho Chang is indeed Asian. Someone described Cho as a 'token Asian character.' I am guessing Cho's a British national with Asian heritage or some kind of international student.

The name 'Chang' is definitely a Chinese or Korean family name(or surname). At least in Korea(as I am Korean, I know), 'Cho' can be a given name to a girl, although the name would sound slightly unusual. The thing is, most Asian immigrants to Europe and America give their second generations Western style given names(ex Brian Kim, Jane Lee). An Asian name, if ever given, is usually tucked away as a middle name initial. But 'Cho', which is definitely not a Western name, is the name she usually uses, and their was no indication of Cho having a Western style given or middle name.

So I suspect that she *might* be an international student from Korea or China. However, I also think most HP readers in the UK would prefer a British national Cho Chang. Nationality aside, I think Cho Chang is indeed Asian, hopefully Korean, by ethnic heritage.

The problem is, this question was never fully addressed in any of the books or movies. So maybe Cho Chang might turn out not Asian by nationality or ethnic heritage at all.

I apologize if I seem to be making a fuss over nothing, but I feel that this is a subconsciously nagging question for many Asian HP fans out there, including myself. I believe that one of the themes of HP is combating racism; the thing with Pureblood/Mudblood and all. If JKR has placed an Asian character in HP, token or otherwise, I am curious to know more about the character.

The Lord of the Rings, although it's a great franchise for books and movies, was kind of...disturbing sometimes. I saw many many white people running around really big plains, which is fine until you realize there are no protagonists BUT Anglo-Saxon White people. As the fantasy genre was greatly influenced by Scandinavian myths, I suppose the absence of other ethnic groups is purely coincidential and there was no spooky conspiracy to portray non-Whites as disgusting orcs and monster antagonists. However, the HP books were written quite recently. JKR is very aware of the globalized world. Probably half the worldwide readers are not white. As JKR has managed to put up such a noble message of denouncing racism and pacism, I would be very happy if Cho Chang, the only obviously Asian character, is clarified as an Asian.

Dedalus
April 16th, 2004, 8:52 pm
I think it makes most sense that she's British but of Asian descent. It's hardly uncommon, but also Hogwarts is a British school and every other student seems to be of British origin too. But there are lots of students whose heritage isn't British, even if their own nationality is.

But J.K. Rowling has said "Hogwarts just serves Britain and Ireland" (article here (http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/quickquotes/articles/2000/0700-swns-alfie.htm)), so Cho'd have to have British nationality, herself.

Azimuth
April 16th, 2004, 9:04 pm
I also think most HP readers in the UK would prefer a British national Cho Chang.

I'm not bothered as to what nationality she is. What makes you think we'd prefer a British Cho?

Magda Quadle
April 16th, 2004, 9:36 pm
The Lord of the Rings, although it's a great franchise for books and movies, was kind of...disturbing sometimes. I saw many many white people running around really big plains, which is fine until you realize there are no protagonists BUT Anglo-Saxon White people. As the fantasy genre was greatly influenced by Scandinavian myths, I suppose the absence of other ethnic groups is purely coincidential and there was no spooky conspiracy to portray non-Whites as disgusting orcs and monster antagonists. However, the HP books were written quite recently. JKR is very aware of the globalized world. Probably half the worldwide readers are not white. As JKR has managed to put up such a noble message of denouncing racism and pacism, I would be very happy if Cho Chang, the only obviously Asian character, is clarified as an Asian.LOTR seems this way because that's how Tolkein wrote it. His two main purposes were to write a storyline that he liked, and to replace Britton's missing mythic history with something that wasn't based from another nation. Over a series of invasions and cultural changes their mythic histories have mostly been lost. He wanted to write an epic myth for England that felt like it could have happened in their ancient past. (That and the fact that he wanted to invent a culture that centered around some of the really cool languages he invented. :))

I always thought that Cho was of Asian descent, or at least half Asian due to her last name. It never bothered me, and I never thought she was a token anything. Why must people be tokens? :rotfl: Seriously though, I think that people in stories are who they are. There is no need to put a token person in one. JKR may have seen a lovely young lady on the bus one day, thought of how Harry might react to her, and before you could say "apparate" Cho was born. Many times, that's really the way it happens.

Mags

Cat
April 16th, 2004, 9:50 pm
I always took it for granted that Cho was of Asian descent. It amazes me that this didn't dawn on some people - the name is a big enough hint, don't you think? :p

I wouldn't prefer Cho to be British just because I'm British, but I do think it makes much more sense to suppose that Cho is Asian/British and not, as you suggest, an international student.

Cho is definitely not a 'token' Asian character. As you said, her racial origin is never actually stated in the books.

Since most people realised that Cho is probably Asian, I don't think it's likely that the casting crew or the director of GOF missed the clues.

...with something that wasn't based from another nation.

*cough*Mostly Norse and possibly some Celtic*cough*

Magda Quadle
April 16th, 2004, 10:09 pm
*cough*Mostly Norse and possibly some Celtic*cough*Well, yes of course... I didn't say he actually acheived his total idea, just that was part of his idea. If I remember right, he was more bothered by the French replacement of English mythos....

and now, back to topic....

Cho...British of Asian or part Asian heritage...

Mags

Cat
April 16th, 2004, 11:11 pm
Well, yes of course... I didn't say he actually acheived his total idea, just that was part of his idea.

I'm not convinced he was trying hard. Actually, if I had to be presumptious and suggest what he was trying to achieve, I would say that it was like an Iliad or Odyssey based on English mythology (which, because of invasions, comprised of a lot of Norse mythology) and used fictional 'mythological' elements to pad out what wasn't there.

Sorry, sorry, way off-topic.

On the subject of Cho - I don't believe she is Chinese or Korean to tackle the issue of racism or as any kind of message at all. The sort of racism that we are familiar with doesn't seem to be much of an issue with the wizarding community, where 'purity of blood' and differences of species have a larger effect. Race is something that is used in the series, but it is used in the guise of purebloods, halfbloods, Muggleborns and halfbreeds.

But a lot of schools in Britain have children of Asian origin - and I'm not just talking about East Asian, so this includes Parvati and Padma - and Hogwarts is supposed to reflect a real school. As well as being what many people would consider politically incorrect, it would be unrealistic if everybody in Hogwarts was white.

Bee
April 16th, 2004, 11:48 pm
I don't think there's any reason to think Cho isn't Asian. I mean, the name, first off, is a huge hint. She also has shiny black hair, which is a common Asian characteristic. I am pretty sure that she is of Asian descent, and either moved or her parents moved to Britain.

SilverMagic
April 16th, 2004, 11:56 pm
She is asian.

rotsiepots
April 17th, 2004, 1:31 am
The thing is, most Asian immigrants to Europe and America give their second generations Western style given names(ex Brian Kim, Jane Lee). An Asian name, if ever given, is usually tucked away as a middle name initial. But 'Cho', which is definitely not a Western name, is the name she usually uses, and their was no indication of Cho having a Western style given or middle name.

Cho might be the child of Asian immigrants to the UK, making her a first generation Britisher.

So I suspect that she *might* be an international student from Korea or China. However, I also think most HP readers in the UK would prefer a British national Cho Chang. Nationality aside, I think Cho Chang is indeed Asian, hopefully Korean, by ethnic heritage.

Erm, I'm sure her parents would have sent her to the nearest magical school in Asia if this was the case.

The problem is, this question was never fully addressed in any of the books or movies. So maybe Cho Chang might turn out not Asian by nationality or ethnic heritage at all.

Actually, I'm almost positive the casting call specifically asked for Asian girls to audition for Cho.

The Lord of the Rings, although it's a great franchise for books and movies, was kind of...disturbing sometimes. I saw many many white people running around really big plains, which is fine until you realize there are no protagonists BUT Anglo-Saxon White people.

As for your last paragraph, white people (because we're not all Anglo-Saxon, you know) don't complain about the Asian dominance of Hong Kong cinema (it would be completely stupid to do so). Even mainstream titles such as Wo hu cang long didn't have any white people in them. Personally, I don't really see what the issue is.

I think it's most likely that Cho Chang is of Asian heritage and is almost definitely British born.

Pegasus
April 17th, 2004, 1:38 am
Since when does any school have all of one race? Surely all wizards can't be Caucasian? We need dred locks and shiny black hair to be realistic. The race issue of the muggle world is definitely paralleled in the purebreed issue of the wizarding world, except for one thing my English professor pointed out to me before OotP came out--there don't seem to be any Lee Jordans or Cho Changs in Slytherin.

SamIAm
April 17th, 2004, 2:53 am
I've always thought that Cho Chang was asian. I agree with you, she's either Korean or Chinese from the last name Chang. (I'm Korean too!:D) Plus they were only asking for Asian girls to come for the Cho Chang auditions, and they have a picture of Cho Chang in the 5th book, it definetly looked asian. So...hmmm....im pretty sure that she is asian then!

verdeyeschicka
April 17th, 2004, 3:57 am
cho chang is most certainly not asian the descurtion int he books is so not of an asian girl

kwachon
April 17th, 2004, 3:57 am
I'm not bothered as to what nationality she is. What makes you think we'd prefer a British Cho?

Well, Hogwarts would feel closer to a real life UK school for one thing. But I am happy that you're not bothered.

verdeyeschicka
April 17th, 2004, 4:00 am
WOW finally some one talks about somthing that is wroth wrting back 2 i mean really :clap: cho chang is most certainly not asian the descirbtion int he books is so not of an asian girl :p

Pegasus
April 17th, 2004, 4:01 am
cho chang is most certainly not asian the descurtion int he books is so not of an asian girl

Actually, Mary Grand Pre illustrates her as Asian, so she obviously thinks her description is as Asian as I do. I notice you're an American, so this is probably the edition you have, too. Take a look at the illustration in Goblet of Fire when she's sitting there in that little coffee shop with Harry.

swishandflick
April 17th, 2004, 4:18 am
Cho Changs Asian...okay... I don't think that JKR intended to make a statement by having Cho be Asian; the girl could've been any race and it wouldn't have changed her character.

As for your last paragraph, white people (because we're not all Anglo-Saxon, you know) don't complain about the Asian dominance of Hong Kong cinema (it would be completely stupid to do so). Even mainstream titles such as Wo hu cang long didn't have any white people in them. Personally, I don't really see what the issue is.

I think it's most likely that Cho Chang is of Asian heritage and is almost definitely British born.
Well, its much more likely to have diversity in a British school rather than a school in Hong Kong. I've never been to a school in Asia, but unless its an International School I seriously doubt there are many non-Asian students in an Asian school. Seeing as JKR is trying to portray a British school, it should be accurate in terms of different races.

I dislike watching shows like Friends where the main characters have come in contact with only 2-3 people of a different race while they live in the middle of New York City! Its sort of like saying that people of various races are invisible and don't matter.

Pegasus
April 17th, 2004, 4:29 am
Exactly. It's completely unrealistic. From what I've been told by people who live there, African Americans greatly outnumber Caucasions in the Maryland/DC area, and isn't New York even more diverse? I doubt if Rowling even thought about it--she was painting a realistic school, with no thought to "token" anything, in my opinion.

kwachon
April 17th, 2004, 4:31 am
Now I am saying she's token. I was just quoting someone else to show that she's accpeted by fans as being Asian.

rotsiepots
April 17th, 2004, 4:44 am
Well, its much more likely to have diversity in a British school rather than a school in Hong Kong. I've never been to a school in Asia, but unless its an International School I seriously doubt there are many non-Asian students in an Asian school. Seeing as JKR is trying to portray a British school, it should be accurate in terms of different races.

I'm afraid I don't understand how this relates to my last point. I was responding to kwachon's statements about the LotR films only featuring "Anglo-Saxon white people". If you could clarify, that would be great.

swishandflick
April 17th, 2004, 5:15 am
I misunderstood--I thought you were reffering to society and the media in general, not just the LotRs films. Since it doesn't specify there's no reason the characters can't be different races.

kwachon
April 17th, 2004, 6:10 am
WOW finally some one talks about somthing that is wroth wrting back 2 i mean really :clap: cho chang is most certainly not asian the descirbtion int he books is so not of an asian girl :p

Thanks..I think.

OrioCookie
April 17th, 2004, 6:24 am
I always imagined her looking of Asian descent but had a regular British accent (a first generation).

Godrics_Heiress
April 17th, 2004, 7:55 am
Well, she is of Chinese descent (Asian in broad), but I suppose she grew up in Britain, giving her a British nationality. JKR also mentioned in an interview that there are no transfers from other schools to Hogwarts, so she's not likely an international student.

Ed Sane
April 17th, 2004, 9:01 am
cho chang is most certainly not asian the descirbtion int he books is so not of an asian girl :p

You, should reread book 3 refer to the first time Harry meets Cho on the quiditch field.

Ed Sane

Picko
April 17th, 2004, 11:27 am
Cho Chang is almost certainly asian. The most telling proof is in the actresses auditioned for her role in the film - they are all Asian girls and with the knowledge that JK would have some say in who is chosen I can't imagine she would let Warner Bros choose someone of the wrong background.

Chrysalis
April 18th, 2004, 5:03 pm
Uh...I don't see how it hasn't occurred to some people that Cho was Asian. I mean, the name is pretty obvious indicator, and she has long shiny black hair. It's the same as in that thread about the Patil sisters. Kinda obvious, actually.

Kerbox
April 18th, 2004, 5:14 pm
heh, I always thought this was cho chang :P

ErickGama
April 18th, 2004, 5:22 pm
I have always asked myself that question also! I think she is because of the name that she has but Mrs. Rowling hasn't described her as Asian! But I really think she is!

Mireille
April 18th, 2004, 5:50 pm
Since when does any school have all of one race? Surely all wizards can't be Caucasian? We need dred locks and shiny black hair to be realistic. The race issue of the muggle world is definitely paralleled in the purebreed issue of the wizarding world, except for one thing my English professor pointed out to me before OotP came out--there don't seem to be any Lee Jordans or Cho Changs in Slytherin.

Very good point. Races don't always stay in the native country, and even then someone who is Chinese could be born in England and live there, making them English.

Chang is a very Chisese name. I'm not sure why she wouldn't be of Asian decent. Even if her father was of Asian decent and her mother Caucasian, she would still be part Asian.

Cat
April 19th, 2004, 3:48 am
--there don't seem to be any Lee Jordans or Cho Changs in Slytherin.

You could say the same about Hufflepuff, I think. It doesn't mean anything except that people that Harry hasn't met aren't described. He doesn't seem to know many people from other houses.

Horntail
April 21st, 2004, 5:02 am
There was actually a Seinfeld episode where Jerry was dating a woman named Donna Chang. He met her over the phone and thought she was Asian originally. It turned out that she wasn't Asian at all, her last name was changed from Changstein. George's mother gets advice to not get divorced from Donna Chang and follows it believing her to be Asian, but when she finds out that Donna Chang is Jewish, she becomes angry and divorces her husband. Aparently advice is to be trusted from Asains because of the fortune cookie thing. Anyway, it was a lot more funnier on the show.

I allways believed that Cho was Asain, but never thought of it being too important one way or the other.

Dru Malfoy
April 21st, 2004, 11:15 am
I, too, think that Cho Chang is Asian. But I never thought that was important. I mean, the book is set in GB and society there (especially in the big cities) is just such a melting pot of all kinds of ethnic groups that is would just seem normal that JKR would include Brits who have different ethnic backgrounds. Not because she wants to make about about that or anything but just because it is realistic to have kids from all kinds of ethnic backgrounds in a British school.

Guardian Angel
April 21st, 2004, 12:07 pm
I never even bothered thinking if she was or wasn't Asian... I always thougth she was because of her name... so I guess she is. :lol:

NorthStar
April 21st, 2004, 12:31 pm
heh, I always thought this was cho chang :P

From the picture you posted I think that's from the Sorting in the first film? If it is, then it couldn't be Cho because she's not in Harry and Hermione's year - she's the year above.

Personally I always assumed Cho was Asian, at least in descent, because of the name (it's unlikely she'd have a family name of Chang if her father was not from somewhere like China, or Korea) and the first name - definitely not a British name, her parents probably chose a name to reflect their nationality. Also to a lesser extent because of her description (long straight shiny black hair).

I really don't care where she or her parents are from to be honest - I always assumed she is Asian (first or second generation) and haven't really thiught about the "deeper meaning" of that, if there is any - which I doubt.

It's the same thing with the Patil twins, from the name and description I've always assumed they're of Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi or similar descent, and I've never questioned that, or wondered why.

NorthStar
April 21st, 2004, 12:35 pm

How is the description in the books "so not of an Asian girl"?? :confused:
What about her name?

Tirwen Lupin
April 22nd, 2004, 12:22 am
I always did subconciously imagine her as at least partially Asian (Chinese or Korean, probably) mainly because of the name. I suppose she might have been born in Britain, and her parents had been from Asia... But I don't think it's really of that much importance. It's probably just that way to be realistic and interesting when it comes to the nationalities of students.

Brachah
April 22nd, 2004, 12:40 am
I always did subconciously imagine her as at least partially Asian (Chinese or Korean, probably) mainly because of the name. I suppose she might have been born in Britain, and her parents had been from Asia... But I don't think it's really of that much importance. It's probably just that way to be realistic and interesting when it comes to the nationalities of students.

I agree with all that you said (you practically took the words out of my mouth!). I did, too, imagine her Asian because of her name, and also don't find it much of an importance.

ThE sCaR
April 22nd, 2004, 12:51 am
Cho Chang is asian..i mean come on..if she turned out white..i would be like wtf ?? thats not right ?!!? lol.. on another board ive encountered people who didnt know Kingsley was black.. dunno wat theyre thinking... cho is asian.. cant see how anyone would think she isnt O_O

Gangstaa_phoenix
April 22nd, 2004, 6:23 am
i think that cho is asian...CHO AND HARRY FOREVER!!
i have a weird feeling that cho and harry will get together
WHOEVER HATES CHO IS A LOSER reply if u agree

ZelKejin
April 30th, 2004, 7:40 pm
Cho's a Brittish Citizen with Asian heritage. Simple as that. Her description, her name, her house... :D

I can imagine if there were a Hogwart's... my parents would want me in Ravenclaw and no other house... I'd shame the family name if I wasn't. ;)

Here's the thing that's really got me irked though...
Quote:
Q: Can American kids go to Hogwarts ? (Kelly)
A: No, they have their own school. You'll find out in Book 4. Hogwarts just serves Britain and Ireland

After reading book 4, I found out about Bulgaria and France's magical schools... but I couldn't for the life of me find any reference to schools outside of Europe... I find it almost hard to believe there are other ones, since everything seems so centralized on Hogwarts... Voldemort, the Wizard Wars...

August
April 30th, 2004, 11:40 pm
Surely she's korean... I mean JK talks about her being very beautiful... ;-) (I'm not asian, by the way, but I recognise korean girls are pretty)
Of course not all of Hogwart's students are caucasian... The Weasley's friend Lee Jordan is black, isn't he??? (at least in the movies)

kwachon
May 1st, 2004, 3:32 am
I find it almost hard to believe there are other ones, since everything seems so centralized on Hogwarts... Voldemort, the Wizard Wars...

Going off topic for one moment here, you know, maybe all that affair with Voldemort is just a Western European 'regional' issue as far as the entire Magical World (or Magical Earth) is concerned. JKR is naturally keeping her stories' backgrounds to what she's most familiar with. I would.

Well, I think almost everyone agrees that Cho Chang is Asian by ethnic heritage and British by nationality. I am not sure if wizards really take the legal sense of 'nationality' very seriously since they seem to look down upon many muggle concepts. But since they do have a ministry and cooperate with the muggle government at times, I guess nationality matters to an extent. So, only UK and Irish students enter Hogwarts. making Cho Chang a British or Irish national.

Oreo112
May 1st, 2004, 6:12 pm
I;m sure Cho is a British citizen - she just has Asian heritage. My ancestors are from Italy, Ireland, and Scotland, but I'm from America. I'm sure the same goes for both her and the Patil twins.

HPfan222
May 2nd, 2004, 4:48 am
I think Cho is Asian, I saw a picture of who plays her in the movie coming out, PoA.She is Asian, her name is Ann Suzuki.

dobby_rocks
May 2nd, 2004, 5:40 am
but I couldn't for the life of me find any reference to schools outside of Europe... I find it almost hard to believe there are other ones,

If you think about it the World Cup having wizards from around the global. Then we have to guess that they have their schools to educated their students as well. They brefily pointed out some magic folk from Salem Mass, USA

Well i assumed she was Asian as well just by her name and how she is described. I suppose she could be referred as British Chinese (Korean etc) Do we know is Cho has magic parents or is she muggle born

Luna27
May 2nd, 2004, 5:44 am
Jordan Lee is black in the books too August. I remember she described him as having dredlocks in the first book. And Angelina is definitely black. I thought it was obvious that Cho is Asian. I mean there's the name and then the illustration at the beginning of that one chapter in OotP with her and Harry sitting at a table. It's not different than being American...it has nothing to do with your race. Cho just has a British accent. :)

NamelessOne
May 2nd, 2004, 7:59 am
Surely she's korean... I mean JK talks about her being very beautiful... ;-) (I'm not asian, by the way, but I recognise korean girls are pretty)

Well, there are beautiful (and ugly) girls from every race/nationality/ethnicity, so that doesn't really tell us much. :)

Of course not all of Hogwart's students are caucasian... The Weasley's friend Lee Jordan is black, isn't he??? (at least in the movies)

The strange thing is, I don't believe Rowling ever actually says anywhere in the series that Lee Jordan's black, though he most likely is. I've actually seen a few white people with dreadlocks, but they were . . . strongly discouraged . . . from continuing that practice.

I think Cho is Asian, I saw a picture of who plays her in the movie coming out, PoA.She is Asian, her name is Ann Suzuki.

That sounds Japanese to me. :huh: Well, it could be worse. . . .

Luna27
May 2nd, 2004, 8:15 am
:rotfl: Strongly discouraged? That's hilarious NamelessOne. Anyway, I think it's cool that JKR makes a point to acknowledge that there students of all colors at Hogwarts. I wonder when someone will ask about the Patil sisters?

Discordia
May 2nd, 2004, 9:52 am
Well, duh. I mean anyone can tell that he name is obviously Asian so therefore the girl is of some sort of Asian decent.

loopdeedoo123
October 11th, 2004, 2:04 am
Yeah! Cho Chang?!? That is a definite Asian name. And also there are descriptions about her black hair and stuff.

herbertsandbach
October 11th, 2004, 8:24 am
Having read through this thread I noticed the Kerbox picture, the girl looks like a younger version of the girl who stands next to Hermione in POA DADA class. I think she's supposed to be Lavender Brown not Cho Chang.

Carina
October 11th, 2004, 8:36 am
I'm very sure Cho Chang is Asian, and for some people why is it so hard to believe?
JKR is doing a good job making Hogwarts multicultural. :)

Wairay
October 11th, 2004, 10:58 am
I wouldn't say that Cho Chang is a full blooded Asian. I'm kind of like her, in that my dad is Kiwi while but mum is Asian. Half and half. It will be interesting to see who will play her in the movies, but the candidates named so far look like "half asian" as well. It is marvellous actually to see JK Rowling introducing different types of races into the Harry Potter series. Especially in this ever growing racist world of ours.

Norbertha
October 11th, 2004, 11:52 am
I think Cho is of Asian descent. Her description is that she has long, black, shiny hair, which sound very east Asian to me. She also has freckles. I haven't seen many east Asian people with freckles, but I have seen one or two, so it's definitely possible.

I love the way that Rowling introduces racism as a theme in her books without connecting it with races at all. Hogwarts is the least racist school I've ever seen - colour or heritage is never even mentioned. Not even in the descriptions of characters, usually. As far as I can remember, it's just Kingsley and Angelina that are described as being "black". In the case of Cho and Parvati and Padma and Lee and everybody else, we are just left to guess by their name and the way they look. And I love that! Clearly, peoples skin colour doesn't matter to Harry, and therefore Rowling doesn't mention it either.

But she still uses racism as a very important theme in her books. But instead of just going for the white-versus-everybody-else racism, she invents the Pureblood racism. She's a genius!

FoxyDoxy
October 11th, 2004, 12:36 pm
Is it hard to believe that someone can be asian and brittish at the same time? I have hundreds of friends that are 3rd or fourth generation that say their english rather than Asian/ african etc. Many of them have thicker accents than I do!
An indian friend of mine went to the states earlier this year and told me about this guy who wouldn't stop pestering her to find out where she's from. Everytime she said she was from London the guy would ask 'what about your parents? and their parents?' She went back five generations before he was convinced she was english.
Do people really find it that strange that we have the such a level of diversity here? I know that there aren't so many high profile brits that don't fit the white tea swigging stereotype but they do exist. When reading HP I didn't even give it a second thaought that Cho could be anything but an anglo/asian.

Prof.Blink
October 11th, 2004, 12:54 pm
But she still uses racism as a very important theme in her books. But instead of just going for the white-versus-everybody-else racism, she invents the Pureblood racism. She's a genius!

I agree, she is a genius! She sends a good message across. Children who see the pureblood-mania as madness in the books will grow up feeling the same about racism in the real world... hopefully.

As for Cho Chang, I have always imagined her as being from Chinese descent. It is possible to originate from Asia and been born in Britain you know... I would imagine the Patil sisters were born in Britain but originate from India...like me!!

(loving the sig foxy... great film!! :D )

Trumpet_Freak
October 11th, 2004, 5:21 pm
It's certainly possible that her ancestry is of the Far East. I figured she was Chinese or Korean by the sound of her name in POA and then when I saw the picture of her in OOTP in Chapter 25 ("The Beetle at Bay" - American version) I realized she had to be Asian, but of British nationality.

Hey Prof. Blink - I'm Indian too! Only, I was born and raised in America. :p

busy91
October 11th, 2004, 5:29 pm
Well since she has been cast, I guess the question of her being Asian is not a question anymore.

But I did have the Chinese/Korean question. Cho being a Korean name and all.

But I assumed she was an Asian living in England. There are Asian people living there, so her British citizenship was automatic to me.

marauderlupin
October 11th, 2004, 5:52 pm
You know what's sad? I've run into tons of other people who didn't know Cho was Asian and that the twins, Padma and Parvati, were Indian. Most of them were Amreican girls who were upset that they wouldn't be cast as those characters, like they had a chance anyway :huh:

I think it's worse when people don't know Kingsley is black. People like my sister who read the exact same copy of OOTP I did. She was like "***? Show me where it says so because you are deluded." Riiight, I'm the crazy one.

busy91
October 11th, 2004, 5:59 pm
You know what's sad? I've run into tons of other people who didn't know Cho was Asian and that the twins, Padma and Parvati, were Indian. Most of them were Amreican girls who were upset that they wouldn't be cast as those characters, like they had a chance anyway :huh:

I think it's worse when people don't know Kingsley is black. People like my sister who read the exact same copy of OOTP I did. She was like "***? Show me where it says so because you are deluded." Riiight, I'm the crazy one.

Well some young people are not familiar with Indian/Asian names, so perhaps they didn't realize. The older you get, the more you learn. If all you are around are black and white people, and not around people of other cultures, it becomes difficult to determine what someone is. Although with a name like Chang, which is a popular Asian name...I don't know about that.

Goldberry
October 11th, 2004, 6:09 pm
Is it hard to believe that someone can be asian and brittish at the same time? I have hundreds of friends that are 3rd or fourth generation that say their english rather than Asian/ african etc. Many of them have thicker accents than I do!
An indian friend of mine went to the states earlier this year and told me about this guy who wouldn't stop pestering her to find out where she's from. Everytime she said she was from London the guy would ask 'what about your parents? and their parents?' She went back five generations before he was convinced she was english.
Do people really find it that strange that we have the such a level of diversity here? I know that there aren't so many high profile brits that don't fit the white tea swigging stereotype but they do exist. When reading HP I didn't even give it a second thaought that Cho could be anything but an anglo/asian.

While the guy could've just been a jerk, it seems like a lot of people in the US are really into genealogy, so he could've just been asking what her ethnic background was out of curiosity, though asking back five generations is rather rude; the guy should've taken the hint, there's no question about that. Er, unfortunately, I do think a lot of Americans find it surprising that Europe is very culturally diverse. I couldn't tell you why; it makes perfect sense that it would be. :shrug:

I think Cho is definitely of Asian descent. Chang could be a non-Asian name; if her first name was Jane or something I'd say it would be debatable whether she's Asian or not, but since her first name is Cho, which is definitely Chinese/Korean, I think it's pretty obvious that she's Asian.

Can someone tell me something: is Dean Thomas black? I thought he was, but no one's mentioned him. Am I wrong?

busy91
October 11th, 2004, 6:11 pm
Yes Dean Thomas is Black. It is not mentioned in the British version of the book, but it is in the American version.

Wairay
October 11th, 2004, 8:16 pm
How can you not know that "Chang" and "Patil" aren't Asian names? Hmmm.....

busy91
October 11th, 2004, 9:30 pm
How can you not know that "Chang" and "Patil" aren't Asian names? Hmmm.....

Chang I have trouble beliving, but Patil I can understand. If an 11 or 12 year old has not had exposure to an Indian or Indian culture, Patil is just another name to them.

Zheng Jing Liu
October 11th, 2004, 9:38 pm
I was really confused as to what nationality she is. Her first name and her surname just do not go together. I only hear name Cho in Japanese and Chang can either be Chinese or Korean so I am confused as to what asian nationality she is.

Zelkiiro
October 11th, 2004, 10:02 pm
Maybe her parents are Chinese/Korean and they were in Japan when they named her...? After all, the answer lies in The Master's brain.

So, to answer the question, Cho is probably only Asian in terms of where she was born, not where she lives.

busy91
October 11th, 2004, 10:10 pm
I was really confused as to what nationality she is. Her first name and her surname just do not go together. I only hear name Cho in Japanese and Chang can either be Chinese or Korean so I am confused as to what asian nationality she is.

Cho is a Korean name. I don't think Cho is Japanese.

rjade829
October 11th, 2004, 10:19 pm

Well, one of my oldest friends is named Cho and she's Korean. I assumed Cho Chang was Korean since I know Cho to be a Korean name and all the Changs I've met happen to have been Korean, but you never know.

The Saint
October 11th, 2004, 10:26 pm
Cho has to be Asian, with a name like hers. Jk never emphasized her coming from any where else but Britain so I'm guessing her background or ancestry is asian. Don't see the big deal over if she was asian or not.

The Lord of the rings thing however.... tolkien based the book off myths of Northern Europe. Rather the books were based in that style. There are no black or any other race coming from that far north. Also in LOTR there were men that were evil as well as men that were not. All played by whites. the book is not one based on race but good vs evil.

PotionsPunk
October 12th, 2004, 4:57 am
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: is that a serious question? Why wouldn't she be? with a name like Chang? Just because she's Asian doesn't make her any less British. I'm mexican, doesn't make me less of an American.

Firebolt_2007
October 12th, 2004, 5:01 am
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: is that a serious question? Why wouldn't she be? with a name like Chang? Just because she's Asian doesn't make her any less British. I'm mexican, doesn't make me less of an American.
couldn't have said it better myself...I saw this thread and I was like "Are you serious?"
Go PotionsPunk, I'm half latina! It doesn't make me less American.

PotionsPunk
October 12th, 2004, 6:04 am
couldn't have said it better myself...I saw this thread and I was like "Are you serious?"
Go PotionsPunk, I'm half latina! It doesn't make me less American.
:D :D *doin' the "I have no rythm dance"*

Carina
October 12th, 2004, 12:25 pm
Chang is a Chinese name. In fact, my last name is written as "Chang" in China.
Cho Chang can be a Chinese-born British just as I am an Chinese-born Australian.

I love how JKR deals with multiculturalism and racism in 'Harry Potter'. After all, her audience is people from all kinds of backgrounds.

Crookshanks800
October 12th, 2004, 1:32 pm
Did it ever occur to anyone that she may have ancestors of more than 1 nationality? Maybe her father is Korean and her mother is Chinese. Or maybe her grandparents are 4 different things, like Korean, Chinese, English and French. Surely most Americans should be able to understand that concept.

Zheng Jing Liu
October 12th, 2004, 2:04 pm
Cho is a Korean name. I don't think Cho is Japanese.

It has to be Japanese too because it is in common Japanese name book. In Japanese it means butterfly, and in Korean it means Beautiful. I found it here

http://www.babynamenetwork.com/detail.cfm?name=Cho&gender=Female

busy91
October 12th, 2004, 2:31 pm
It has to be Japanese too because it is in common Japanese name book. In Japanese it means butterfly, and in Korean it means Beautiful. I found it here

Learn something new every day!

It is a first name then in Japan? I have only heard it as a surname in Korea.

grammer
October 12th, 2004, 2:52 pm
Yes Dean Thomas is Black. It is not mentioned in the British version of the book, but it is in the American version.

Check out JKR's web site she's written a whole background for Dean - and there's a sketch that shows him (before she changed his name to Dean)

As for Cho - I always asumed she was of asian descent. JKR probablly knows, she had brackgrounds on all her major characters. Why, is her nationality important? (I think JKR's point is that the character's nationality's aren't important to the kids at the school.)

busy91
October 12th, 2004, 3:39 pm
Check out JKR's web site she's written a whole background for Dean - and there's a sketch that shows him (before she changed his name to Dean)

As for Cho - I always asumed she was of asian descent. JKR probablly knows, she had brackgrounds on all her major characters. Why, is her nationality important? (I think JKR's point is that the character's nationality's aren't important to the kids at the school.)

Yes, when I write, I develop the characters first, everything from race, religion, personality...etc. Thanks for the site Grammer, I'm going to check it out now.

LunaGoldstein
October 12th, 2004, 7:00 pm
I never questioned that she was Asian, although so far I've only heard Cho used as a last name (as in Margaret Cho, who just plain rocks, and my sociology teacher whom none of you know heh).

No one has mentioned this but I think it's interesting that the minorities mentioned in Ravenclaw seem to conform a certain stereotype, namely the "smart overacheiver". There's Cho Chang whose Asian, Padma Patil whose Indian, and Anthony Goldstein, whom I presume is Jewish. In my high school these three groups made up most of the top 10 percent, which we called the JAI effect. Of course I'm Jewish and somewhat of an underacheiver so no not everbody lives up the stereotype :p But is true that generarly speaking, acheivement is highly stressed in these cultures. It's not to say that intelligence is genetic in anyone at all, I'm talking about cultural values.

It's weird though, I admit that I always had a bias that Western European countries were all of one ethnicity, cause I never stopped to think about diversity in other countries. Especially the discovery of British Jews, I was like "wait I thought we were all kicked out of there" :p (I didnt know about Benjamin Disraili or Ali G then heh) Anywho, I'm getting way off subject but I am fascinated by how nationality affects wizarding identity politics. It appears that they don't really concern themselves with color or nationality that much, I wonder if the pureblood bias doesnt just regard pureblood British wizards but it would also affect how they treat purebloods of other ethnicites. But then again I was raised in a household where identity politics were regular dinner table conversation so forgive my wonkiness please:)

And as long as I am on the subject could someone PLEASE tell me why random strangers simply must know my ethnic heritage? I look kinda Greek or Itallian but the most random people will demand to know my heritage and always sound dissapointed that I was simply born in St. Louis. Being in a conversation with a friend about heritage is one thing but WHY do strangers feel so comfortable broaching the subject and demanding to know why I don't look American enough for them? *end rant*

EriWren
October 12th, 2004, 7:08 pm
:huh: Ok seriously, why does it matter? She probably is but again, why does it matter?

Laufa
October 12th, 2004, 10:35 pm
Erm, yes, she's asian. Moat definetly.

But she's not the only one - so are Parvati and Padma Patil, although they are Indian..

Love,
Eyrún

Nymphadora*
October 13th, 2004, 3:44 am
she's asian...definitely without a doubt...but i don't see why people care...:huh:

Joyce13
October 13th, 2004, 11:40 pm
Cho is defintely Asian, and probably Chinese. I'm Chinese myself, so I would know. And if it isn't Chinese, then it's Korean. She or her family came from Asia. By the way, I'm Chinese. I was born there and moved to the U.S. when I was six. My legal name is a Chinese one, but I go by the American one of Joyce. Cho could have a similar situation, only she chooses to go by her Asian name. That's my thought.

P.S. As for the whole Patil thing, I never realised that they were Indian until I read that Rowling got Paravati's name from a Hindu goddess. Before they were just a name.

dobby_rocks
October 14th, 2004, 3:45 am
You know what's sad? I've run into tons of other people who didn't know Cho was Asian and that the twins, Padma and Parvati, were Indian.
I didnt relaize the Twins were Indian, or from Indian Decent, i just assumes they were white. I didnt even know in till they started casting for them :huh: :huh:

ChoChang101
October 14th, 2004, 6:15 am
well im pretty sure Cho Chang is chinese(asian) cuz well in the movie and all the pix she looks chinese!!!and my gosh!!

terese36
October 14th, 2004, 9:43 pm
My best friend is Asian and she has told me that Cho Chang is defintely an Asian name. She's not sure which country, but says it's probably Chinese or Lorean.

Hex
October 16th, 2004, 9:35 am
Ask JKR,only she knows

Quibbler Reader
October 16th, 2004, 9:46 am
Well, being born and raised in California (lots of asians immigrating over the last 100+ years, and caucasians make up less than 1/2 of the population here), I figured Cho was asian. However, I wasn't sure. Like was mentioned before, I think many of my fellow americans think if you're British, French, German, Polish, etc, you're probably a caucasian by default. I'm not sure what the ratio between caucasians and non-caucasians is exactly in Europe, but its not as high as the US I think. ALl in all, I figured she had to be either part asian or full, so I pictured her as such.
Dean Thomas and Angelina I pictured as african right from the start (sicne the bookcomes right out and says it). Lee jordan however, I was'nt too sure at the start (thoguh having dreadlocks, I figured he was). The african auror thats in the Order I pictured as such since it also right out and said it. As for the Patil's, I had no freaking idea what racial background they had, so I pictured them as dark haired caucasians (until reading mroe about the charachters and finding out their indian heritage). I still see them as caucasian, but looking more like what they did in the last movie.

Drusilla
October 16th, 2004, 10:30 am
Th whole point of Cho, Parvati, Padma etc. is to show that wizarding Britain is just as diverse as real-life Britain, and that, unlike the real world, discrimination among wizards doesn't take place on the basis of nationality or skin colour, but rather on the basis of "magical purity" (as seen by the whole pureblood obsession). Being Indian myself, I knew Cho and the Patil girls' ethnicities the moment I saw their names on the page, and I can't understand how people anywhere wouldn't at least understand that Cho isn't, well, your typical English Rose. I can understand it coming from younger readers who haven't known people whose ancestors were originally from another continent that isn't Europe, but older people? Come on. I spent about ten minutes laughing my head off at the idea of Cho, Parvati and Padma being Caucasian before I realised people had actually thought of them that way.

Cho, as far as I know, is a Japanese or Korean name, and Chang is a common Chinese surname. It's possible that Cho is half Chinese and half Korean, but it's never been mentioned, and I don't think it's important now, as long as the readers get the message loud and clear: SHE'S ASIAN. As for the Patil twins, their surname indicates they're from Gujarat, which is on the western coast of India. But I'd have thought of them as Asian even if Miss Chang's first name had been Annie or something of the sort- I mean, look at Lucy Liu, you can't say she's not of Chinese descent, but she's American by virtue of her upbringing, just as I imagine Cho would be British because of where she lives (and was probably raised).

OmarGama
October 16th, 2004, 8:46 pm
I think that she is Asian because she has an asian name, and besides Asia is near England( i think). That is my opinion. :D

Drusilla
October 17th, 2004, 5:18 pm
Asia is near England( i think). That is my opinion. :D

Yeah, it is, there's only Europe separating them... :rotfl:

honeyrabbit321
October 17th, 2004, 5:27 pm
bad geogrphy, asia is under USSR
urro is by left to USSR
england is in urro

she's hard core asian, chinese infact(my anseters) her chinese name is 張秋
you won't believe how carzy the chinese went when they found out a chinese girl was going to play cho in the next HP movie, you know those mad cow disease? humen version!

halfbreedlover
October 18th, 2004, 12:15 am
I would think Cho is Asian (Chinese I'm guessing). Rowling has introduced a few black characters, an Asian one would make sense as well.

Besides, the Kate Leung is Asian, her name is Asian,the illustration of her in my book is Asian (Beetle at Bay chapter illustration), she is described as having "long black hair", and if that's not an Asian trait I don't know what is.

BTW, East Asia (presumably where Cho is from) is practically on the other side of the world from England.

filius
October 18th, 2004, 12:21 am
Cho Chang is obviously Asian. Cho and Chang are chinese names. Katie Leung's Surname- Leung is a chinese name as well.

No doubt that they are asian. I think she's eurasian

Inkwolf
October 18th, 2004, 1:05 am
I could have sworn that JKR said in an interview that Chang is a common British name, and that she hadn't intended Cho as Asian...but I can't find any such interview AT ALL, and even if she did say that, I think Cho has pretty much been decided as Asian by the rest of the world. If she wasn't Asian to start with, she darn well is now!

(No, authors DON'T have sole control over their works, which is why the Special Editions of Star Wars are such a crime and why Arthur Conan Doyle was forced to bring Sherlock Holmes back from the dead, against his own will.)

(Maybe I read that comment by someone else in a previous discussion of the subject, and not in an interview...)

PotionsPunk
October 19th, 2004, 12:07 am
(No, authors DON'T have sole control over their works, which is why the Special Editions of Star Wars are such a crime and why Arthur Conan Doyle was forced to bring Sherlock Holmes back from the dead, against his own will.)

(Maybe I read that comment by someone else in a previous discussion of the subject, and not in an interview...)
Wait a sec, why is Star Wars a crime?

HarryPotter
October 19th, 2004, 12:23 am
Even if she is not Asian for real... when reading the books I have assumed that she was Chinese, or that she was born English, but from Asian parents...

WildAboutHarry
October 19th, 2004, 12:45 am
Well, this is the girl who's playing her: http://katieleung.qn.com/

What do you think? :eyebrows:

Beauty and Song
December 1st, 2004, 1:46 am
I just searched the forums for this topic. My question isn't whether she is Asian or not, like some of the other users in the thread mentioned, the name is a really big give away (most likely British of Asian descent). My questions is whether she is Chinese or Japanese?

I always thought she was Chinese because of her name Cho Chang, the 'NG' sound is very common is Chinese and Korean languages and it's almost non-present in Japanese. But her name... I just found out it's Japanese! For more reference visit this link (http://www.behindthename.com/nmc/jap.html). It means 'butterfly' in Japanese.

Does anyone have a clue? Has JK ever commented on her ethnicity?

I don't know much about other Asian cultures besides the Japanese, so I might be on the wrong track.

ALSO: Is it possible JK gave her a Japanese name with Chinese surname to throw us off? It's important to note that in Japan the surname always come first, so she would present herself as "Chang Cho". (she would probably call Harry, Harry-kun ... :huh: :rotfl: OK not really but that would've helped and probably give Ron the giggles)

Polychrome
December 1st, 2004, 1:55 am
I always thought she was Chinese because of her name Cho Chang, the 'NG' sound is very common is Chinese and Korean languages and it's almost non-present in Japanese. But her name... I just found out it's Japanese! For more reference visit this link (http://www.behindthename.com/nmc/jap.html). It means 'butterfly' in Japanese.

Cho may be Japanese, but Chang is Chinese.

Bit confusing, eh?

Chang either means "long" or "to grow". Contrary to popular belief in the english-speaking world, the 'a' in Chang is a little "a' sound (like "ah"), not a big 'A' sound.

Edit: For those who's browsers or computers support it, here is the chinese character: 長

Beauty and Song
December 1st, 2004, 2:54 am
Cho may be Japanese, but Chang is Chinese.

Bit confusing, eh?

Chang either means "long" or "to grow". Contrary to popular belief in the english-speaking world, the 'a' in Chang is a little "a' sound (like "ah"), not a big 'A' sound.

Edit: For those who's browsers or computers support it, here is the chinese character: 長

Ah! Thanks for clearing that up. I see, I'm not so bad after all.

Yes, its confusing. It's possible JK did it to throw us off or she didn't do her homework when naming her, but I doubt that. Is it possible that 'Cho' is also Chinese? Since it's so short you never know.

Polychrome
December 1st, 2004, 3:11 am
I entered it into the MS pinyin input to see.

It appears Cho doesn't match up to anything, and just beeps at me when I try.

So I guess not.

Barbara Kennedy
December 1st, 2004, 3:17 am
Ccould it be possible she is of mixed Chinese/Japanese heritage?

Beauty and Song
December 1st, 2004, 3:31 am
Could it be possible she is of mixed Chinese/Japanese heritage?

Ah possibly! ... although it's uncommon for Japanese and Chinese to mix, as I understand it they are not very fond of each other. But yeah it's possible. :blush:

After Thought: If her parents are of Japanese/Chinese ethnicity but grew up in a Western country (like England) I would say it is more likely that she is mixed.

PrettyVeela
December 1st, 2004, 3:32 am
Cho Chang is almost certainly asian. The most telling proof is in the actresses auditioned for her role in the film - they are all Asian girls and with the knowledge that JK would have some say in who is chosen I can't imagine she would let Warner Bros choose someone of the wrong background.

It's interesting that you mentioned that because I remember when I first joined the WB boards and this one father was upset that his daughter couldn't audition for Cho Chang because she's white. I replied "Well Cho Chang is asian isn't he?" And he got really upset and said that she wasn't asian and anyone could have that name. That's true that anyone could but let's use common sense as well. :huh:

Also if you look at the picture from the chapter "The Beetle at Bay" with Cho and Harry sitting down it's clear that she's of asian descent.

Mireille
December 1st, 2004, 3:54 am
Ccould it be possible she is of mixed Chinese/Japanese heritage?
It's doubtful since the two cultures don't like each other. A mix of Japanese and Korean would be even more less likely since the two cultures really don't like each other. What might be more of a possibility is JK thought she was picking two names to put together that she thought were Chinese and got a combination of the two. Although I won't rule out the possibility that she is part Japanese and Chinese but I really doubt it.

SoObvious
December 1st, 2004, 4:01 am
Well i'm chinese, and Chang is definitley a chinese name. But I know Cho means butterfly in japanese, although that doesn't mean anything. If you look up your name, they come from all over. My name, Helen, is Greek. So I don't really think it matters.

LunaStar_1000
December 1st, 2004, 4:23 am
Yes she is Asian, I dont know exactly what country in Asia but she is definatley Asian.

HGRules
December 1st, 2004, 10:02 am

I don't think this site is correct about that. I studied Japanese a little and I don't think they have "cho" in Japanese's phonetic value. Butterfly is "Chyo-u", not "cho" in Japanese. And I also hardly think Cho in Korean means beautiful. In Korean, Cho means 1)"candle" 2) "second" as in 60 seconds=1 minute(I'm Korean and I live in Seoul,Korea) 아름답다"A-Reum-Dap-Da" means "beautiful" in Korean, not cho(I don't know where those guys in that site got that idea from).

And about the quote "a mix of Japanese and Korean would be even more less likely since the two cultures really don't like each other"...well we have some sad history alright and it's true older people who had experenced the history for themselves still might some hate feelings. But in fact Korean and Japan are getting along well very closely thesedays. Many Japanese visit Korea and learn Korean and enjoy Korean movies,TV shows, entertainers etc and of course vice versa. And of course it's not rare Korean girls and Japanese boys (and vice versa) are often falling in love and getting married. :p Actually one of my own aunts are married to a Japanese man.:)

Beauty and Song
December 1st, 2004, 12:32 pm
I don't think this site is correct about that. I studied Japanese a little and I don't think they have "cho" in Japanese's phonetic value. Butterfly is "Chyo-u", not "cho" in Japanese. And I also hardly think Cho in Korean means beautiful. In Korean, Cho means 1)"candle" 2) "second" as in 60 seconds=1 minute(I'm Korean and I live in Seoul,Korea) 아름답다"A-Reum-Dap-Da" means "beautiful" in Korean, not cho(I don't know where those guys in that site got that idea from).

Chyo-u & Cho are not much different, when you romanise Japanese, the same word could be written with different vowels and consonants. I looked up both the translation of "butterfly" and "cho" in this Japanese-to-English dictionary (http://www.freedict.com/onldict/jap.html):

Butterfly: kochou, chou, chouchou, batafurai

Cho: be profitable

So her name is somewhere along the lines of butterfly. A butterfly goes thru a metamorphosis. Cho went thru her own 'metamorphosis' - Remember Harry always noted she and her friends were always giggling in GoF?! In OOTP she was quite the opposite, Hermione said she was crying "all over the place".

BluebirdTexas
December 1st, 2004, 2:25 pm
I have really thought about this question from the moment Cho Chang was presented to us, and came to conclution, that her parents were immigrants. Naturally, they would then name their child after their old traditions.

LunaB13
December 1st, 2004, 2:29 pm
ALSO: Is it possible JK gave her a Japanese name with Chinese surname to throw us off? It's important to note that in Japan the surname always come first, so she would present herself as "Chang Cho". (she would probably call Harry, Harry-kun ... :huh: :rotfl: OK not really but that would've helped and probably give Ron the giggles)

It's also the same in China. I have a friend who is Chinese and she told me that the family name always comes first in China.

Luna25
December 1st, 2004, 2:39 pm
Well, I'm Chinese-American. Actually, I was born in China and came to the U.S. when I was like four or five. I speak Chinese and I have a Chinese name, as well as my American one of Adrienne. Anyway, Chang in Chinese means 'long' or 'to grow'. (By the way, the 'a' is a short sound, not a long sound. The 'ang' sounds a little like 'on'.) Anyway, I don't know about the Cho part, excpet that it doesn't sound very Chinese. Unless of course it is Cantonese, which I don't speak. (my family speaks Mandarin.) And if you read my fic I worte about Luna, I said that Cho's family was Catonese. It could be a possibilty. But on the whole, Cho sounds either Japanese or Koream to mean. I'll have to ask my mom if Cho is a Chinese word.

granger_girl
December 1st, 2004, 2:44 pm
It seems everyone has concluded that Cho is Asian...I have to agree. The name and the description of her in the books points pretty firmly in that direction (my edition of HP doesn't have pictures, so I can't make any comment on them).

As for the question of her specific nationality, I'd say that's easy. Cho is British. Whether she is descended from Koreans or Chinese or Japanese, I can't comment on, but I can say that the first name isn't much of a clue. I was thinking this, and someone else made the point above, that first names come from everywhere. My name is Welsh, but I'm certainly not Welsh. (Apologies if this rambles a bit. It's late and I'm tired.)

HGRules
December 1st, 2004, 3:04 pm
Chyo-u & Cho are not much different, when you romanise Japanese, the same word could be written with different vowels and consonants. I looked up both the translation of "butterfly" and "cho" in this Japanese-to-English dictionary (http://www.freedict.com/onldict/jap.html):

Butterfly: kochou, chou, chouchou, batafurai

Cho: be profitable

So her name is somewhere along the lines of butterfly. A butterfly goes thru a metamorphosis. Cho went thru her own 'metamorphosis' - Remember Harry always noted she and her friends were always giggling in GoF?! In OOTP she was quite the opposite, Hermione said she was crying "all over the place".

Oh, well I didn't considered romanization matters then, did I? Sorry, my bad. :blush: But you couldn't expect real Japanese people(like my uncle) pronunciate "butterfly" as "cho" for real though( O is different from Yo.) :p

Now in Korean, "cho" sounds really phonetically like "cho". Now that you mentioned a metamorphosis of "cho", I could add more meanings of "cho" in Korean. Like I said, in Korean, 초 ("cho") means

1)a candle

2)a second("second"-minute-hour), an instant/a moment

and 3) a draft

4)a venegar

4)when we use "cho" in front of some cirtain words, it means "first"/"beginning"/"above"/"beyond"

5)when we add "cho" to the end of some cirtain words, it means "grass".

Now we could really discuss metaphors of "cho". :rotfl:

Oh, I'm not denying "cho" could be Japanese since now I got to know "ちょう" can be romanized as also "cho". I'm just saying "초" is slightly more related to "cho" in a phonetical way. Nevertheless, I know it's the fact that Japanese is more well known in the world than Korean is, so I admit it's much more realistic Rowling recognised "cho" as Japanese. :) The reason I mentioned the meanings of "cho" in Korean is that I just wanted to correct the thing where some baby name site say cho means "beautiful" in Korean and then realized how well meanings of "cho" in Korean could describe Cho Chang as much as "cho" in Japanese could describe her since someone discussed "cho"'s metaphor. That's all. :)

As for the name order, family names come first in Korea, either. I think many asian countries are the same on that matter.(?)

As for the nationality of Cho Chang, I too think she's british. ;)

Ciao!

lauravivian
December 2nd, 2004, 6:15 am
She's definatly asian. I mean how oriental can you get with the last name of Chang?
Her last name could either be Chinese, Korean, or Japanese (from what i heard) but that's what i think. Chang is usually associated with those two nationalities as far as i know.