PDA

View Full Version : Draco, on the Good Side?

TrueMagic
November 2nd, 2004, 11:16 pm
I personally think he will be, but only if Voldemort murders his father. Still, it's a very iffy subject.

PadfootWhispers
November 2nd, 2004, 11:20 pm
im almost positive that there are many other posts with similar subjects

aggiefan1206
November 2nd, 2004, 11:21 pm
Im glad to see someone else sees somthing that i do. I agree that the only way harry and draco will ever help each other is if dracos father were to be killed by voldemort and because draco has to know that harry has only escaped from voldemort 4 times now weather with help or not. But if that dosent happen he wouldnt switch sides. I think it could actually be a prob with him joining harrys side you never would know weather he truely changed to me he seems to be a guy that would stab you in the back. But you never know. And also i dont think Jk is goign to allow harry an easy time in school i thinkhe will still have draco mean to give harry a hard time. harrys life will be difficult and i dont think jk is goign to give him a break even at school whether he is going to get picked on by snape or draco its going to happen

PadfootWhispers
November 2nd, 2004, 11:23 pm
im almost positive that there are many other posts with similar subjects

although i cant find the one im looking for! agh. o well, i think he's evil, really. i mean, yes, i could see them fighting against voldy at the same time, but not necessarily "together" or as friends, you know?

RemusLupinFan
November 2nd, 2004, 11:29 pm
Perhaps these threads will be useful for reference at least:

No Redeeming Draco?! (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=11231)
Draco: A Future Spy for Voldemort (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=29925
)
Thoughts on Draco (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=2773)

Personally, I tend to think that Draco and Harry won't ever end up teaming together- there is far too much animosity between them, not to mention the fact that Draco follows his father's ideals and aspires to be like him. I believe this would stand in the way of them ever creating an alliance. At the end of OotP, Draco made it clear that he blamed Harry for what happened to his father, and he got very upset when Harry insulted Lucius (by calling him a scumbag). Thus, I really see little hope of them ever teaming up, or of Draco fighting for the good side when he supports his father so much and believes in Voldemort's ideals. I could certainly be wrong though- JK may spring a surprise on us in future books.

Kathleen Malfoy
November 2nd, 2004, 11:32 pm
I personally think he will be, but only if Voldemort murders his father. Still, it's a very iffy subject.

Hmm....so do you think Draco cares about his father?

If so....awww. ^^;;

I do like to imagine Draco having some hidden sweet side. However, I hope he is still always nasty in general because that's part of why I like him. ^^

I don't think he is ever going to turn totally good. It seems like J.K. Rowling isn't up for that.

CCGal
November 2nd, 2004, 11:36 pm
Yeah, I don't think he will ever be 'Good'. Sure, he might lighten up, but then again, Draco might go in the other direction. Only time can tell, but I personall ythink he will only get worse.

Kathleen Malfoy
November 2nd, 2004, 11:39 pm
Poor Draco. If only he had been raised by a different family.

Elen_Nen
November 3rd, 2004, 12:19 am
Draco is a good little boy, and i have complete confidence he'll come back to the light.

*looks into her crystal ball* i am getting something! wait..... *suddenly looks enlightened* aHAH! the 7th HP books shall be... *squints into the fog* "Harry Potter and the Forest of Shadows"! i cannot see the 6th...

zeroFantasy
November 3rd, 2004, 2:28 am
JK always surprises me with the outcomes. So I don't think that Draco will come back to the light and that he won't stay bad..it's something different

Alhanalasa
November 3rd, 2004, 2:46 am
I believe JKR said that Draco and Harry will never be friends. This is ambigous as to whether he will follow LV or not. It leaves enough room either way to embrace your favorite theory.

I personally would rather see Draco become a better villian than a good character. He's just a punk right now, but maybe the death/capture/whatever of his father will spur him to become really evil, not just annoying.

Crookshanks_
November 3rd, 2004, 3:14 am
I don't think they will be friends, but have a sort of "silent bond", so that no one sees that they kind of like each other.. Actually i hope JKR has told us a lie in that matter, want them to be friends in the end, and i woun't cry if Lucius is killed..

TheDarkLordSam
November 3rd, 2004, 5:01 am
I kinda like the evil Draco. . . It adds drama. But I suppose it would be nice if He and Harry could work together, maybe he could join the Order (obviously not like the adults, but more like how Ron and Harry are members, though not really. Get it?) I could sorta see a moment between Draco and Harry, not a "I hate you with every part of my body" moment, but also not a mushy-gushy moment. Just a nice little moment where Malfoy's not saying Harry's name like it's a heap of dung. You know? :huh:

Taleeya
November 3rd, 2004, 6:46 am
I think Draco is gonna stay bad. I really doubt Voldemort would ever kill Lucius. Lucius is far too loyal and helpful to LV's cause.

JBaker
November 3rd, 2004, 6:49 am

No, I think that the hostility between the two will only increase. Malfoy is an evil git, through and through (maybe not through any fault of his own, but he is nonetheless evil). His history in the books should give an indication of how he feels personally. Remember that he threatened Harry at the end of Book 5 (and tried to curse him), so there is unlikely to be any change at all.

Raven_Girly
November 3rd, 2004, 10:29 am
i mean, yes, i could see them fighting against voldy at the same time, but not necessarily "together" or as friends, you know?
I agree (with this part anyway!). I think there will be a time when they will have no choice but to fight together, but it's not like they are going to be friends for life after it. I know Draco seems totally evil, but i don't think he will be a Voldemort supporter, in the end. Maybe he will learn, from seeing what happened to his father, that it just isn't cool! I don't think he is the kind of person who's going to sign up as a Death Eater as soon as he gets the chance, anyway. Or at least I hope not. :)

SquibOnline
November 3rd, 2004, 1:56 pm
I don't think Draco will be on any side. The wizarding world is not split into order members and Death eaters. He'll just be another normal wizard

kaz
November 3rd, 2004, 2:01 pm
[QUOTE]Hmm....so do you think Draco cares about his father?

If so....awww. ^^;;

Its called unconditional love

JBaker
November 3rd, 2004, 2:22 pm
I agree (with this part anyway!). I think there will be a time when they will have no choice but to fight together, but it's not like they are going to be friends for life after it. I know Draco seems totally evil, but i don't think he will be a Voldemort supporter, in the end. Maybe he will learn, from seeing what happened to his father, that it just isn't cool! I don't think he is the kind of person who's going to sign up as a Death Eater as soon as he gets the chance, anyway. Or at least I hope not. :)

At the end of OotP, Draco is really bitter by what has happened to his father, and is well known for his feelings of support for Voldemort. I think he will become a Death Eater.

daz
November 3rd, 2004, 2:25 pm
JKR has said that Draco wont change and she is shocked by how many people like him and she pointed out Film Draco is not Book Draco.So that says it all

sparx191
November 3rd, 2004, 4:18 pm
no way would draco change sides too much has happened between him n the trio for him to even consider being assosiated to them. plus he hates muggle borns.

Seth_Landon
November 3rd, 2004, 4:38 pm
I can see Draco becoming a death eater, just out of pure loathing for Harry. However I think that he will get too big for his boots and try and kill potter instead of leaving him for LV to do, thus putting him and harry into a very comprimising position, because a) Draco and Hary hate each other, it was the same with Severus and James when they were at school this puts thm in the running to be mortal enemies, Draco more so to harry than LV however, saying this, if Draco does try to kill harry unsuccessfully having become a DE and LV will see Draco as not a powerful ally, but an untrustworthy enemy which leads me to situation b. Draco is now lined up next to Harry on LV's hitlist, and therefore will proably be kicked out by mother and father dearest, thus having to become a mutual ally of the Order for protection (thus prompting a rlation ship similar to that of Severus/Sirius.) and his only out reach would be that of his connection to snape, being as he was also once a DE. (However I believe DD will try and get both Harry and Draco to become more than mutual allies but possible brothers in arms, as they world share a common enemy more so than many of the order, being as whle Harry and Draco are different they are also the same, both are the 'popular' ones within thier respective houses, both are seekers, they are both adept duelng wizards, and bot could quite easly stand thier ground against different adversaries. However to do this Draco would have to bury his roots as a rich boy and embrace the fact that although he is pure blood, this doesn't make him better, infact it is a hinderance due to the fact it causes arrogance.) Howver it could also go the other way and it could be used as an excuse to get close enough to Harry to try and kill him.

Sophie Patil
November 3rd, 2004, 4:49 pm
draco will always be bad. he will never be a cheery good-hearted little boy. that would just be totally out of character, I think jk would never write anything that is very out of the character of one of the persons. I always had the impression that her characters are very real people.

so yeah, I believe it's possible that he will do something for the good side eventually. I mean snape is bad, he hates muggleborns and he is totally unfair, but he's on the good side. so maybe draco will make one good desicion in future books, but I am absolutely and entirely convinced that harry and draco will never ever be friends, they will always hate each other. don't we all have a person like that, that we can't stand and never will, just because our personalities clash?

daz
November 3rd, 2004, 4:54 pm
JKR has said that Draco wont change and she is shocked by how many people like him and she pointed out Film Draco is not Book Draco.

JKR said this at the royal alburt hall

C8H10N4O2
November 3rd, 2004, 5:05 pm
First, I am not sure what Lucius would do to cause Voldemort to kill him. He is too smart, and loves himself too much for that too happen. I do agree that it is the only circumstance that Draco would possibly let the thought pass unimpeded through his head to turn good, but then the thought would pass, unimpeded.

Second, Draco is too arrogant, haughty, mean-spirited, evil, hateful, self-consumed, self-deluded, self-important, has burned too many bridges, taken too many cheap shots, ruffled too many feathers, offended too many peoples' sensibilities, been too vulgar and common to EVER turn good, or be accepted by those who are good. Draco lives in a fantasy world where he perceives himself to be the pinnacle of perfection, yet fails to live up to that perception in the real world. He does not like those who have sided with good, and has done all he can to distance himself from them.

He has put himself out on such a limb, that even if the branch breaks, he will refuse any and all help. It would damage his perceived image and credibility.

Oh, and his dad would be ever so upset.

Do I hate Draco? No. I just pity him because he had to grow up in such a bigotted, hateful environment, pushed to perform beyond his capabilities, and have to follow in the footsteps of a father he cannot possibly live up to.

Artermis_Hoou
November 3rd, 2004, 5:25 pm
Maybe he will not turn good, but I'm just hoping to see another side to him before the book finishes, that's why I was so disapointed to find out about the cut scene with him and Theaodore Nott, I think it was in book 4

DumDum01
November 3rd, 2004, 5:34 pm
I hope he doesn't cause he is cool by being evil. Then it would be good also but i don't know why. ^_^

Spirit
November 4th, 2004, 4:48 am
I want Draco to turn out to be good in the end. The Malfoy's are traditionally evil, and I think that it will be sad if Draco goes along with his family's tradition. I don't think that this will happen though. I think that Draco will follow his father's footsteps, but I hope he doesn't.

PlaceboAddict
November 4th, 2004, 5:31 am
I'm personally really tired of people thinking Malfoy's magically going to change his ways when he's already proven time and time again what kind of person he is. At the age of 12 he not only had a great old time watching muggle borns being petrified, but actually stated 'I wish I knew who it was... I could help him'. At age 13 he proved that he didn't care if an innocent creture was beheaded, so long as it caused anguish to Harry, Hermione, Ron, and Hagrid. At the age of 14 he openly showed his support for Voldemort. At the age of 15 he reinforced this by threatening Harry for putting His father again. That old story of redemption isn't gonna work on this guy. It has nothing to do with Voldemort, it has to do with the fact that Malfoy's a twisted, sadistic little monster... funny guy, though ;p

silverspeedy
November 4th, 2004, 5:49 am
I've always had hope that malfoy wouldn't stay evil forever, though it seem to be turning out that way. he was put in a awful situation in life, but i kind of wonder what goes on at home. Does his family love him or not? That would definately determine part of his personality. And what scene with him and Theaodore Nott?

JBaker
November 4th, 2004, 6:16 am
No he won't change. As many people have pointed out, his attitude shows nothing but hostility to the likes of Harry and co.

I doubt he would fall on Voldemort's hit list at all unless he was to resist him, which is unlikely given his past attitude. If he tried to kil lHarry and failed, he would not be considered much with regards to Voldemort, but he certainly won't be considered an enemy for trying to kill Harry.

sirius'swife
November 4th, 2004, 6:30 am
hmmm.
no. absolutely not. i know people like tom felton and think draco will turn good but really! c'mon! after ootp? that boy was oozing hatred for harry at the end. at the end of gof he made his stance pretty darn clear. he is on voldemort's side. i mean how can he not be? he thinks muggle-borns should die. his father is lucius malfoy and draco has no problems with the way lucius goes about.
i see not one ounce of good in that snot(no i dont like him? how did you guess? lol) at the end of ootp, he's decided that HE is going to be the big man and avenge the 'injustice' done to daddy. illusions of grandeur. prime to take a mighty fall im afraid
i can see draco dying because he did something hugely stupid trying to do something like that. will be quite pathetically sad actually.

BlackHeart
November 4th, 2004, 6:37 am
hmmm.
no. absolutely not. i know people like tom felton and think draco will turn good but really! c'mon! after ootp? that boy was oozing hatred for harry at the end. at the end of gof he made his stance pretty darn clear. he is voldemort's side. i mean how can he not be? he thinks muggle-borns should die. his father is lucius malfoy and draco has no problems with that.
i see not one ounce of good in that snot(no i dont like him? how did you guess? lol) at the end of ootp, he's decided that HE is going to be the big man and avenge the 'injustice' done to daddy. illusions grandeur. to take a mighty fall im afraid
i can see draco dying because he did something hugely stupid trying to do something like that. will be quite pathetically sad actually.
*high five*
Completely agree. Dracos been leaning towards the Dark side since year 1. Why would he have a change of heart now?

SwordofHope
November 4th, 2004, 7:02 am
Malfoy does not look like someone who will turn good. He has not one thing that could be considered kind. He just is not a good human being. He never shows any positives. Not one. Everytime he is being a jerk he is doing things in the worst possible way.

Yes, he does have a evil dad, but that does not explain he actions at school. He did not need to be as mean and rude as he was there. His father had no way of knowing anything he did there. Malfoy has not shown characteristics of turning into a good charactor. Sure parents influence there kids, but a good person would not be as mean and rude as Draco. This is especially true when Draco is at school. I would think if he was to trun good that he would show some sign of sympathy in the past 5 years. I mean he is there for most of the year and he is constantly rude. I would think that he would do something kind to someone during 5 years.

He is responsible for his past actions and he seems not to regret any of them at this moment. If he really hated his father (which he might but still...) I would expect him to just avoid Harry and be pleased with the situation. He does look good having his father in Askaban no doubt about that. It is just if he really despised his father I would expect him to not go out and attack Harry risking his own hind for someone he hates.

I could see Malfoy pretending that he was angry at Harry, but going out and attacking him will not get him anywhere. The fact that Rowling choose to have Malfoy attack from behind is important. This shows how he is cowardly (a very strong charactoristic of Peter Pettigrew). This is a very important instane to keep in mind when you try to figure if Malfoy will turn good. She could of had him face Harry face to face, but choose not to.

The kid could do a turn around like Snape, but he is still responsible for his actions. I find it unlikely at this point seeing that Malfoy does not seem to show any signs of turning into a good person.

His comment about Cedric at the end of GoF about him being the first one to go, just was a horrible comment. Nasty, with no real reason for it, but to be a jerk. Rowling clearly showed how nasty Malfoy was in this scene. She had him mention Cedric as deserving his fate, and that is an extremly bad outlook on his charactor.

Malfoy seems to be on the road of becoming a Death Eater. I do not think he can do too much to help the group though. He certainly hasn't shown himself to be a great wizard by any standards. I expect his father was a better death eater when he was Dracos age. I, of course, can not be sure.

Unless Draco turns around his attitude and personality pretty quick, he is not going to be apart of the good side. Someone that I could see turning to the good side would be someone who gradually is turning kinder. All we would need is little hints. We get none of these in the story. Would not have to be anything big, just something subtle so we are thinking to ourselves " is he really good at heart or is he still a jerk?". Though there is no point where I find myself wondering this.

I, however, can see the motivation behind making Draco good, though I think she would take another route. I see Rowling making Slytherins look alot better in the next two books. I don't know how she can have the sorting hat talk about School unity and not include a whole house in the effort. It would make sense for Rowling to show that no house is evil or is bad, just that the qualities of a house can either be used well or badly. Pettigrew for Gryffindor and Voldemort for Slytherin.

Draco does not look like he is heading in the direction of becoming part of the good side. I would expect several, Slytherins who are not mentioned in the series before to show there good side. That would show true unity withen the School. That is obviously what will win the war (unity). Though, if Draco were to turn good it would have a much stronger impact on the trio than just some Slytherins they barely know. Draco would be a huge shocker. It would be much stronger and more effective then random Slytherins.

Though, changing Draco to the good side would take extreme view changes. He is far too racist to be considered good. Rowling would have to totally turned these views upside down. She also would have the burden of making a reasonable explanation for this. The boy just has too much hate inside of him. Jealousy, is one of the main reason he has such hatred. Draco does not show any reasonable good charactoristics. Or at least not any that have been used in even a remotely kind way.

Even if Malfoy was to turn good the trio would be far to reluctent to trust him. It would be far too hard for anyone to trust him. His past/current views, ideas, and words would cause him to have a very minimal role in the fight for the good side. For the trio to understand that not all who are put into Slytherin are bad, would take someone who has not been as rude and,in many ways, evil as him. It would just be too hard for the trio to see past this. Also, if the trio can't see past this, then the most readers will not either and that would make the series some of it's popularity. If she were to use other Slytherins though, it would aid the series as showing that labels are not something people should be judged by.

I would say that the odds of Draco turning good are extremly minimal.

Ronin
November 4th, 2004, 7:13 am
I don't think it will be so much of Draco turning to the "good" side, but more likely an alliance will be formed between the Griffindor and Slytherin Houses and the ambasadors for the treaty will be Harry and Draco. I doubt they will ever get along as friends of play a friendly game of exploding snap, but I belive they will both come to see each other as valuable allies for survival in the upcoming books. As I remember the sorting hat said something along the lines that the houses must unite or hogwarts would be torn apart by external deadly foes (would use a quote but I've lent my only copy of Ootp out...sorry ). I think a unification of the houses will be the closest we ever see Draco and Harry to becoming buddies.

Kimmetje
November 4th, 2004, 10:43 am
I believe Draco is not purely evil though he does have it in him from his mother's side (a Black) and his father's side (a Malfoy) though we saw that the Black's are not all evil (Andromeda and Sirius) and that might be a change though so far it seems that Narcissa has supported Lucius and that it does sort of make her evil meaning Draco too. So by blood Draco would be evil.

Natsufan
November 4th, 2004, 11:49 am
I want Draco to turn out to be good in the end. The Malfoy's are traditionally evil, and I think that it will be sad if Draco goes along with his family's tradition. I don't think that this will happen though. I think that Draco will follow his father's footsteps, but I hope he doesn't.
I don't think Draco will turn out good, not even to the good side in a Snapeish way. JK has doomed him, and has done it on purpose because she doesn't want us to like him. But I find it very biased. I mean, Hagrid says of the Malfoys, I don't know if in book 1 or 2, that they are "Rotten ter the core, the whole family (...) bad blood, that's what it is". I really hate that stuff. So Malfoy is evil because he has it in his genes? Pleeeease, and I thought the books were against racism.

I'm personally really tired of people thinking Malfoy's magically going to change his ways
First, we don't think he's going to change. JK has almost said he won't.
Second, I am tired of his sprinting towards evil. The character is ridiculous and unbelievable. Up to this point, JK should have given us an opinion of his own. The only thing he says is what he hears at home. It is ridiculous, he is absolutely blackandwhite. Correction, he is absolutely black.
when he's already proven time and time again what kind of person he is.
I hate his characterization. I know, JK says "Draco is eeeeevil", so he's totally evil with no glimpse of redemtion. What she can't say is "Draco is haaaateful". I can't hate someone in his circumstances, because I don't know what I would have done in the same circumstances. I don't know about you, but I have been taught to be good. I have been taught that racism and discrimination is wrong. I have been taught the wonders and discoveries of cultures different to mine. I have been taught the importance of human life in a world where it isn't really that respected. So I can't know what would have been of me if had been taught absolutely opposite. And that's why I hate what JK is doing with Draco (and with all the Slytherins, by the way).
At the age of 12 he not only had a great old time watching muggle borns being petrified, but actually stated 'I wish I knew who it was... I could help him'.
The best japanese samurai killed his first man at age 13. He is considered a hero. Draco is being educated, it seems, in the same way of thinking Slytherin had by age 1000. I can't judge a kid raised by racists, enclosed with racists and teached by racists, just because he acts with 11th century morals. Our modern-day morals were born in the historical equivalent of yesterday. It's not fair to judge medieval people by our standards. They all would end up as murderers and genociders.

At age 13 he proved that he didn't care if an innocent creture was beheaded, so long as it caused anguish to Harry, Hermione, Ron, and Hagrid.
Again, that's medieval thinking. You don't think respect for animals' lives was fashionable in the 11th century, right? There was a time when human life was almost unimportant, so another creature's lives were even less important. You can't judge someone educated medieval style because he doesn't act as a Greenpeace activist. And yet, about all his bragging about death, Draco couldn't see the thestrals. Many times I've wished someone to die, and never I've said it meaningly. Of course, JK probably intends him to mean it... But again, that character, at least in my eyes, has gone away from her hands. She wants me to hate him, but I simply can't hate on command.

At the age of 14 he openly showed his support for Voldemort.
Whom he's never seen in his life, and whom he doesn't know except from his parents' vision. He says what he listens to at home. I want to see what happens when he sees death and is allowed to see thestrals.

At the age of 15 he reinforced this by threatening Harry for putting His father again.
Well, that's a redemptive quality, in my eyes. The way he jumps when his family is attacked, specially when his mother is insulted. Again, don't see Malfoy jr. absolutely amoral, just morally outdated. Outdated by ten centuries, which is a lot. But he acts like any medieval nobleman would: his family goes first, the status quo must be preserved, and inferiors are inferiors, and that's where they should stay. It's not nice, but as I've said before, I can't judge medieval-thinking people by our modern standards.
That old story of redemption isn't gonna work on this guy. It has nothing to do with Voldemort, it has to do with the fact that Malfoy's a twisted, sadistic little monster... funny guy, though ;p
Yeeeeeah, because the Malfoys are a "baaad blood". Not the only racists in town, it seems. It's just than when a Gryffindor is racist, he happens to be right. Why aren't there suicides in Hogwarts when kids don't get into Gryffindor?

Malfoy does not look like someone who will turn good. He has not one thing that could be considered kind.
Except jump out when his mother is being insulted, and getting angry when his father was sent up to jail. Of course, he should realize that his father was to blame, but trying to defend your family is an act of kindness.

He just is not a good human being.
Again, in Hagrid's words: "The Malfoys are a bad race". Funny, the good guys of the series are just as racists as the bad ones. But of course, as they are the good ones, they happen to be right. The bad ones make them so.

He never shows any positives. Not one.
Yes, he got specially touched when his mother, not his father, was insulted. I think that's a positive, though I admit it's a small one. But then again, his relentless championship of his family IS a good trait. As I wrote above, 11th century morals are still morals. And what the heck, I don't buy the "bad race" stuff!!

Everytime he is being a jerk he is doing things in the worst possible way. Which is disgusting because, isn't he supposed to be cunning? I mean, all the intelligence, bravery and hard work is in Gryffindor. Even some of the good looks. And all the stupidity, cowardice, laziness, dishonesty, and to top it of, ugliness, is in Slytherin. I am not only bored: I am sick of that.

Yes, he does have a evil dad, but that does not explain he actions at school. He did not need to be as mean and rude as he was there. His father had no way of knowing anything he did there.
His pride explains his mean behaviour. But then again, I've met a mean guy in school, who was utterly neglected by his parents, and who turned up good. He has no reason to be rude and mean... Which is a good question about why he is.

Malfoy has not shown characteristics of turning into a good charactor.
No, JK doesn't want him to turn out good, so in case we forgot he belongs to a bad race and has venom running through his veins, she's made him do a last 100 metres sprint to evilness in Order of the Phoenix. Well, if she says he's evil, he is, but I have no reason to be happy with it.
Sure parents influence there kids, but a good person would not be as mean and rude as Draco.
An extremely good person wouldn't, but an absolute normal kid would. I know, because I've met bullies who turned up to be good people.

This is especially true when Draco is at school. I would think if he was to trun good that he would show some sign of sympathy in the past 5 years. I mean he is there for most of the year and he is constantly rude.
Again, I hate that. It's like Harry always catching the snitch. Too far-fetched. Even nasty guys have some niceness towards some people whom they like.

He is responsible for his past actions and he seems not to regret any of them at this moment.
But he is not responsible for having been educated in an environment and set of morals that support his behaviour.

If he really hated his father (which he might but still...) I would expect him to just avoid Harry and be pleased with the situation. He does look good having his father in Askaban no doubt about that. It is just if he really despised his father I would expect him to not go out and attack Harry risking his own hind for someone he hates. He doesn't hate his father, and I am not of the ones who think he is abused at home. But just because you're not abused, it doesn't mean you are being properly educated. He doesn't seem to love his father, but he certainly respects him.

I could see Malfoy pretending that he was angry at Harry, but going out and attacking him will not get him anywhere. The fact that Rowling choose to have Malfoy attack from behind is important. This shows how he is cowardly (a very strong characteristic of Peter Pettigrew). This is a very important instane to keep in mind when you try to figure if Malfoy will turn good. She could of had him face Harry face to face, but chose not to. That's the point, he is acting in a ridiculous way. If he was really cunning, he would pretend to change sides and then attack. If he was courageous, he would attack face to face. But he admits face to face that he is going to attack, and later on he attacks from behind. He is a ridiculous character. I hate the way JK describes ambitious people. I don't need to mention cunning, of course. Slytherins are not cunning because JK doesn't know cunningness. The only think she knows is to go bravely ahead and try to hit faster. Very pretty, but I wouldn't have made a house of the cunning if I didn't know how cunning people think and act. She's made the House of Tremendous Losers in Slytherin... And just as I like the Hufflepuffs, I must like the Slytherins, probably because she's made them such a bunch of losers.
His comment about Cedric at the end of GoF about him being the first one to go, just was a horrible comment. Nasty, with no real reason for it, but to be a jerk.
It was a threat, it had the reason of threatening. And about nasty comments, just pay attention to the many disgusting jokes that are made when some famous people die or a terrorist attack occurs. Malfoy is not the only one in doing that.
Rowling clearly showed how nasty Malfoy was in this scene. She had him mention Cedric as deserving his fate, and that is an extremly bad outlook on his character.
I agree with you. Rowling wants us to think the character is evil. Problem is, I don't buy it. I just can't. But of course, in canon, Draco Malfoy is evil, nasty, coward, lazy, stupid, ridiculous, vain, mean... and probably ugly.

Though, changing Draco to the good side would take extreme view changes. He is far too racist to be considered good. Rowling would have to totally turned these views upside down. I just wonder if Draco has ever been to the muggle world. If I had the Slytherin kids in charge for an academic year, I'd get them to respect muggles. Maybe they'd still be evil and racist, but they'd **** respect muggles. Those kids are in very bad hands.

She also would have the burden of making a reasonable explanation for this.
I can write a bazillion ways in which you can turn Slytherins to the good side. Two main points: make them realize what Voldemort's side really is, apart from Daddy's old tales of glory; and then make them see the muggle world.
The boy just has too much hate inside of him. Jealousy, is one of the main reason he has such hatred.
That's something hateful, too. Any good teacher would tell Draco to focus on his classes and studies instead of worrying about Harry. The kid's far too proud. But that's not a reason for him to be evil.
If she were to use other Slytherins though, it would aid the series as showing that labels are not something people should be judged by. I'm sure she's going to use other Slytherins, but that would not teach kids about how labels are not things people shouldn't be judged by. Draco is said to belong to a "rotten to the core, the whole family", and JK spends all the time trying to prove it was true. That's hateful. James and Sirius thought bad of Snape, and he turned out to be a death eater. Hagrid said that Draco is evil, and he turns out evil. So, prejudices are wrong when coming from cunning people, but when courageous people have prejudices, then they are right? No, I don't think letting Draco become a death eater without trying to do anything about it would be a good example. It would be a bad one, indeed. It justifies the prejudices of the self-righteous.
I would say that the odds of Draco turning good are extremly minimal. Totally agree on this one, JK has already hinted it. But that doesn't mean I don't want him to change sides. Mind you, not to change hearts, but to change sides.

karneli_3
November 4th, 2004, 11:57 am
harry will be helped by malfoy but that will only happen once draco falls in love with hermoinie.Then they will be enemies with Ron

Natsufan
November 5th, 2004, 1:54 am
Hey, I didn't want people to stop discussing this topic. Hey, where did you all go?

O_o Maybe I shouldn't write 6-feet-parchments posts.

SwordofHope
November 5th, 2004, 3:12 am
Except jump out when his mother is being insulted, and getting angry when his father was sent up to jail. Of course, he should realize that his father was to blame, but trying to defend your family is an act of kindness.
I am not sure about that. It might be, but it is not a stride in any direction. I expect charactors who are not looked upon with a good light to defend those who they agree. He really is defending himself and his dad at the same time. Malfoy is not a fan of looking bad. If his father looks bad, he in turn looks rotton as well. He loves popularity and power. His dad being looked as a scondrel is making Draco look bad. He had a certain power, being Lucius Malfoy's son gave him a power in the school. E.G. the PoA incident. He is losing power and popularity very quickly and he tires very hard to defend it and gain some of it back.

Again, in Hagrid's words: "The Malfoys are a bad race". Funny, the good guys of the series are just as racists as the bad ones. But of course, as they are the good ones, they happen to be right. The bad ones make them so. Yes, this is an error on Hagrids part, but Hagrid is a good, loyal, barve, and kind human being. Malfoy might have loyality, but his loyalities lie in the wrong places.

Malfoy is far more racist then Hagrid. He is the one going around calling people mudbloods. He is the common Slytherin, without the appearence of any extraordinary talent.

Yes, he got specially touched when his mother, not his father, was insulted. I think that's a positive, though I admit it's a small one. But then again, his relentless championship of his family IS a good trait. As I wrote above, 11th century morals are still morals. And what the heck, I don't buy the "bad race" stuff!!
Staying loyal to the wrong people is not a good trait in my opinion. During WW2 it is not a good trait for Hitlers realtives to defend his actions. They, like Draco, would be ignoring the problem. Just because they are related does not make them right. Sirius is the best example of this. He knew his family's morales and actions were wrong. He did not defend them blindly. He did what is right.

I do not by the "bad race" stuff either, but Draco is not acting in the way a person who is good at heart would. Sirius would be the one to do this.

Which is disgusting because, isn't he supposed to be cunning? I mean, all the intelligence, bravery and hard work is in Gryffindor. Even some of the good looks. And all the stupidity, cowardice, laziness, dishonesty, and to top it of, ugliness, is in Slytherin. I am not only bored: I am sick of that.
I am sick of that too. I really truely believe that the Slyterins will unite with the rest of the school. If they didn't that would make a very bad story. It would be going against what Rowling is trying to push on us. I am absolutely certain in the next two books we will see some really good slytherins. I, however, am not puting any money on Draco being the one.

He is heading more towards the dark side every year. No improvement in charactor at all. He will have to do a major, and unexpected, u-turn for him to redeem himself.

His pride explains his mean behaviour. But then again, I've met a mean guy in school, who was utterly neglected by his parents, and who turned up good. He has no reason to be rude and mean... Which is a good question about why he is.
Yes, but the best example of this is Siruis Black.

No, JK doesn't want him to turn out good, so in case we forgot he belongs to a bad race and has venom running through his veins, she's made him do a last 100 metres sprint to evilness in Order of the Phoenix. Well, if she says he's evil, he is, but I have no reason to be happy with it.
I am not happy with it. I think she has already proven the Malfoy race is not bad and evil. I think even though Sirius' last name is Black he is very closely related to the Malfoys. The Blacks are just like the Malfoys. They act exactlyt the same and have the same attitude towards blood. Then comes along young Sirius Black who goes against this and proves that family does not make the person. It was not only Sirius either, I believe Tonks was also one to prove this.

Though the charactors of both Sirius and Tonks Rowling has done a good job of showing that no family is evil. Good people can come out of them.
An extremely good person wouldn't, but an absolute normal kid would. I know, because I've met bullies who turned up to be good people.
If this is true than sadly a normal kid is not a very good person.

Again, I hate that. It's like Harry always catching the snitch. Too far-fetched. Even nasty guys have some niceness towards some people whom they like.
I have not seen Draco show kindness even to his friends. I am sure he is, but he does not make good friends either.

I am sure he is kind to his fellow friends ( who are jerks) but Rowling chooses not to show any of this. If she wanted to show that Draco can be at least a little bit kind she has choosen not to. I would expect her to show small acts of kindness from the boy, if she was planing on him becoming a good charactor in the future. However, she chooses not to even try to make him look good in any situation, which leads me to believe Rowling is keeping Malfoy on the bad side.

But he is not responsible for having been educated in an environment and set of morals that support his behaviour.
I believe that by his age he should know the difference between right and wrong. Now if he was a little 6 year old or something I would not be too harse on him, but he is 15 years old. He should know what is right and wrong. He should know what hurts and is rude. I can not honestly believe any one living in there world could think Voldemort is morally right.

Sirius Black (my favorite example) was brought up with horrible morals and enviroment. No different then Draco. Yet, he proved that he was a good person.
He doesn't hate his father, and I am not of the ones who think he is abused at home. But just because you're not abused, it doesn't mean you are being properly educated. He doesn't seem to love his father, but he certainly respects him. I do not know if he hates his father, it is just many people who defend Draco say Malfoy hates his father. I just was saying it does not matter.

The fact that he respects his father and his actions is not a good thing. To respect his father is the sign of someone who will not turn to the good side. Respecting Voldemort and a Death Eater is not something I will find in a good charactor or one who is in the process of turning good.

That's the point, he is acting in a ridiculous way. If he was really cunning, he would pretend to change sides and then attack. If he was courageous, he would attack face to face. But he admits face to face that he is going to attack, and later on he attacks from behind. He is a ridiculous character. I hate the way JK describes ambitious people. I don't need to mention cunning, of course. Slytherins are not cunning because JK doesn't know cunningness. The only think she knows is to go bravely ahead and try to hit faster. Very pretty, but I wouldn't have made a house of the cunning if I didn't know how cunning people think and act. She's made the House of Tremendous Losers in Slytherin... And just as I like the Hufflepuffs, I must like the Slytherins, probably because she's made them such a bunch of losers.
I am sure Rowling will make the Slytherins looked upon in a much better light. I am not so sure about Hufflepuff ( I certainly hope she does, that would be kind of missing the whole point of everyone is can be good no matter what house they are in) just because she would be so concentrated in making the Slytherins look better. I just doubt Draco will be one of them.
It was a threat, it had the reason of threatening. And about nasty comments, just pay attention to the many disgusting jokes that are made when some famous people die or a terrorist attack occurs. Malfoy is not the only one in doing that.Just because he is not the only one doing does not mean it is a good thing (Drugs for example). Being compared to terrotist is not a good sign. Other people doing it does not make it even close to being better. The fact that Draco even said that was disturbing.

I agree with you. Rowling wants us to think the character is evil. Problem is, I don't buy it. I just can't. But of course, in canon, Draco Malfoy is evil, nasty, coward, lazy, stupid, ridiculous, vain, mean... and probably ugly.
I think Malfoy is more a evil charactor, but the way she writes it suggests that, to me atleast, that is somewhat someone to be pitied. He really is a screw up and is thought of as a jerk. He is someone who kind of pity.

I just wonder if Draco has ever been to the muggle world. If I had the Slytherin kids in charge for an academic year, I'd get them to respect muggles. Maybe they'd still be evil and racist, but they'd **** respect muggles. Those kids are in very bad hands.
Agree.

I can write a bazillion ways in which you can turn Slytherins to the good side. Two main points: make them realize what Voldemort's side really is, apart from Daddy's old tales of glory; and then make them see the muggle world.
I totally agree here. I just cannot see how Rowling can leave the Slytherins out there as just being jerks. Making one house and group of people horrible. That just does not fit in with what I think she has been trying to portray. I would be deeply disappointed if she did not turn the Slytherins good.

I think we will also see many Slytherins who were never really bad at all. They just were not mentioned in the previous books, so Rowling can make the Slytherins look better.

That's something hateful, too. Any good teacher would tell Draco to focus on his classes and studies instead of worrying about Harry. The kid's far too proud. But that's not a reason for him to be evil.
I'm sure she's going to use other Slytherins, but that would not teach kids about how labels are not things people shouldn't be judged by. Draco is said to belong to a "rotten to the core, the whole family", and JK spends all the time trying to prove it was true. That's hateful. James and Sirius thought bad of Snape, and he turned out to be a death eater. Hagrid said that Draco is evil, and he turns out evil. So, prejudices are wrong when coming from cunning people, but when courageous people have prejudices, then they are right? No, I don't think letting Draco become a death eater without trying to do anything about it would be a good example. It would be a bad one, indeed. It justifies the prejudices of the self-righteous.
I think she has done this well enough with Sirius and Tonks. SHowed that people from what are thought to be from "rotton to the core" families turned good. Turning Draco good would not hurt, but is not entirely neceassary.

Totally agree on this one, JK has already hinted it. But that doesn't mean I don't want him to change sides. Mind you, not to change hearts, but to change sides.
I agree. I would not mind him changing sides. I think it is doubtful though and not entirely necessary.

Zelkiiro
November 5th, 2004, 3:20 am
Malfoy...? Helping Harry...? Impossible! You speak lies!!!

(Translation: Malfoy wouldn't help Harry even if it meant that he would be eaten alive by rats that were set on fire...)

danfan4ever
November 5th, 2004, 4:35 am
I was thinkin the same thing but for the heck of it he wont want to be w/ harry kinda like Snape

TrueMagic
November 7th, 2004, 12:52 am
I'm personally really tired of people thinking Malfoy's magically going to change his ways when he's already proven time and time again what kind of person he is. At the age of 12 he not only had a great old time watching muggle borns being petrified, but actually stated 'I wish I knew who it was... I could help him'. At age 13 he proved that he didn't care if an innocent creture was beheaded, so long as it caused anguish to Harry, Hermione, Ron, and Hagrid. At the age of 14 he openly showed his support for Voldemort. At the age of 15 he reinforced this by threatening Harry for putting His father again. That old story of redemption isn't gonna work on this guy. It has nothing to do with Voldemort, it has to do with the fact that Malfoy's a twisted, sadistic little monster...

Well, now that you have stated that, I think I agree with you. But the thing is, though, that , well--Here, just look:

At the age of 15 he reinforced this by threatening Harry for putting His father again.

See? It looks like Draco really cares about his father. (Well, either that, or his reputation. But anyway..) I mean, what if one of Old Lucius's fellow Death Eaters kills him to reduce competition, or because he was in the way of their jobs? I'm just thinking, what would happen then? Would Draco switch sides? Probably not. But maybe he wouldn't join the Death Eaters. Or perhaps he would realize that APWBD and the OotP are fighting against the people that murdered his father!

I honestly don't know, though. Nobody does. No one but Jo. :tu:

Denyse
November 7th, 2004, 1:13 am
I have a hard time seeing Draco ever go to the good side and help Harry. Maybe something really, really huge will happen like Harry saves Draco from LV, LV kills/tries to kill Lucius (Harry saves Lucius) or maybe a really big twist like LV asks Lucius to AK Draco and Harry saves Draco from Lucius.

Those are pretty far fetched, though and I really don't think it will happen. Draco really seems to be evil to the core, not just talking evil because his dad supports LV.

sirus_fan
November 7th, 2004, 1:27 am
yup, I don't ever see Draco going to the good side. He is just a little slime ball! People like that are not capable of reason that defies what they already believe to be true. There is nothing that would change him.

I will, however, be prepared to eat my words if I am wrong. Fat chance that I will be, but I am prepared.

runitzandrew
November 7th, 2004, 1:50 am
I can't imagine Draco and Harry teaming up. It just doesn't work that way. I think Draco will be too mad with Harry ruining his father to have any sympathy for Harry. And Draco is just too arrogant to turn the other way. And why would he come to the good side anyways?

soccergoddess24
November 7th, 2004, 2:18 am
i see little hope for it :shrug:

but i thought of a question while reading this thread...does voldemort actually still like mr.malfoy? because it seemed to me that he wouldn't like someone anymore if they said that they weren't really a DE and that they were on the "good side" unless mr.malfoy never really said that, but i don't know...so maybe they possibility that voldemort will kill mr.malfoy is better than we thought? hence making the chance of malfoy coming to the good side:eyebrows:

avalonsun
November 7th, 2004, 5:16 am
I have read all of everybody's wonderful posts. You guys have some good ideas.

Personally, I think that Draco will go to the dark side. He has been raised to do so and will comply. But I believe is isn't totally evil. I don't believe he is capable of actually killing someone himself. If he does, I think he will change sides beacause he has realized that Voldemort's regime is not as glorified as I'm sure Lucius has made it out to be. He won't become a golden boy like Harry, or have a 180 personality change. He will still be that mean git will all love. But as a spy.

Mabye I'm wrong..............But mabye I'm not.

Blizzard
November 7th, 2004, 5:19 am
hmm, i think that if dracos father did die, draco might maybe after a bit of morning realise that the dark side is not for him and will come to the good side. But i doubt it. :(

The Leprechaun
November 7th, 2004, 8:47 am
Personally, I think of Draco as not inherently evil. No one is inherently evil. That is something that JKR has done by showing us reasons for why Snape, Voldemort, and other evil characters are evil. Draco has grown up around a closed-minded father and mother. Draco has been taught that Muggles, Muggleborns, magical beings, and half-bloods are worse than purebloods. He was told he is a pureblood (which could be false) and that muggleborns are the worst kind of wizard or witch there is. He has been taught discrimination by his parents and those parents he has respect for. He probably loves both of his parents. He has probably learned about a lot of tricks from his dad. His dad was probably the worst influence on him he has ever had. He was raised to believe in evil things. As it is said, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Sadly, this is true in a lot of cases. Draco is one of these cases. By being forced to socialize with only a certain breed of magic folk, Draco has been heavily influenced by those that he knows. He has only known racists (that is the closest thing I can call the Death Eaters. He also has rich parents and he is an only child, which have made him very spoiled and self-assured. This could explain some of his behavior at school.

He gets rejected by Harry Potter. Yes, not the best person in his parents mind, per se, but still someone that would be very cool to be associated with. It is an appearance thing. When Harry says that Draco is a horrible person, this is construed as an attack and poor little Draco isn't used to being critisized by other people than his parents. When he is then defeated by Harry in popularity, rather easily. This grates on Draco even more as he isn't used to not being the center of attention. Harry then proves to be as good as he is in legend. This is even more irritating.

In his second year Harry becomes even more popular and intriguing then the first year. He proves himself to be better at quidditch, by far. Harry also is considered the hero again at the end of the book. This probably annoys Draco even more. Yes, he acts like a very huge bigot, but he was born into a family full of them who usually try associate with other bigots. He thinks that being a bigot is good, but he doesn't realize that he probably isn't making many friends outside his own house. This isn't good, especially if he wants to be a big man in the world of wizards. It may be his choice, but he has yet to have the bravery or the full realization of the meaning of his bigotry.

In the third year, he truly gets shown up as Harry and the Gryffindor team beat them despite their advanced brooms. Some how Buckbeak gets away and he is pretty sure that Harry has something to do with it. Same thing goes for Sirius getting away. Harry has now three years in a row humiliated Draco.

In the fourth year, he is very humiliated by the ferret incident. Harry also gets into the Triwizard Tournament. This is the only end of a year that Draco gets a slight head over Harry to date and that is when he tells Harry that Harry's choice of sides was poor and that the regret he mentioned in the first year.

In the fifth year Draco gets a little more ahead. He gets Harry kicked off the Quidditch team, just had to deal with a few bruises. He gets to be prefect. He gets a little in tight with Umbridge and uses the power Umbridge gives him to be downright evil. He even has time to truly go after Ron, to get to Harry. Then there is DD's getting run out of the school and all the other horrible things that happen to Harry. But, even though he had the upper hand all year, Harry gets to Draco again as Harry is more or less responsible for ruining Draco's father and getting Lucius in jail.

Do I think that there is time for Draco to become good, yes. Everyone gets a second chance. Lucius had a second chance and he got his name smeared. I think that Draco will have a second chance and might take that chance. If Draco's father is killed by Voldemort, I believe that Draco would find no interest in helping Voldemort. He would hate Voldemort for his act, as I am 100% sure that Draco loves his dad very much and very would be very depressed if Lucius was killed by anyone. I don't think that Draco would seek out the comfort of his nemesis, but Harry with his immense amount of love would find some room to feel sorry and sad for Draco. Will they actually like each other? No, but they will tolerate each other more. So, I think that Draco becoming good is possible, but not as early as the closed door secrets might imply.

Tane
November 7th, 2004, 9:18 am
It is possible now that Draco could turn to the good side with the help of his father. His father being placed into Azkaban might just help Draco see the difference between wrong and right. At first knowing that his father was thrown into Azkaban may upset Draco; I mean he is his father after all. Draco might change and if the sorting hat speaks of the truth then in a way he has to change because the only way Hogwarts is to get through all of this would be if each side was to stick together and fight a common enemy. If Harry can convince Draco that it was Voldemort who sent his father to the Department of Mysteries and not him then both Harry and Draco could end up fighting on the same side.

The sorting hat stated that the students of Hogwarts had to stand united or they would loose against Voldemort and that includes Draco because he is a Hogwarts student.

samoht
November 7th, 2004, 3:29 pm
The sorting hat stated that the students of Hogwarts had to stand united or they would loose against Voldemort and that includes Draco because he is a Hogwarts student.

I agree that the sorting hat song must have something to say in this matter, but it doesn't say that they will stand united, just that they have to.... Perhaps those who don't stand united will loose to Voldemort, either by death or by surrendering to Voldy... In Draco's case I believe that he would rather help his father (the dark side) than anyone else.
And this should then result in Draco loosing, according to the Sorting hat song, because helping his father means not helping anyone else at the school...

SwordofHope
November 8th, 2004, 3:46 am
Draco Malfoy and his actions are not something that should be looked up to. The boy has had some huge disadvantages in his life. These disadvantages are not disadvantages in making a good life. He has connections that could help him out alot in the magical world from what I can tell from reading the Harry Potter series.

Malfoy has disadvantages, however, are that of a more important nature. He has had the problem of being raised some of the worst people in the Harry Potter series. Lucious Malfoy is a very bad person to learn morales and values from. Draco has the burden of being raised by this man.

Draco Malfoy has grown up learning some horrible ideas. He has grown up with the idea that himself and other purebloods are above everyone else. He has grown up under a death eater. You can imagine that these things will not turn out to help Draco. He has been implanted with these horrible ideas from birth.

So we know that Draco Malfoy has grown up with nasty and horrible ideas that are dead wrong. That is a terrible burden to bear if someone wants to be a good person. I find myself feeling sorry for him. He obviously has had a childhood in which he is surronded by bad ideas and followers of evil. That is a shame.

Now, we analze if the boy's actions during his years at Hogwarts thusfar, we have to think pretty hard. We got to take in all of his experiences that a normal boy should not have to take in.

If we are to push Draco's actions aside as the fault of a bad childhood I think we are just making excuses for the boy. By his age, he should know what is right and wrong, what is mean and nice. I believe that everyone has a sense of right and wrong and mean and nice by his age. A 6 year-old might not know the difference between right and wrong because of the beliefs their parents have implanted in them, but not a 15 year old. By this time you can feel it. His actions at Hogwarts, he knows are not kind or right. He knows he is hurting others. He does it anyway though. He is cowardly, mean, weak, power hungrey, he has far too big a thrist for popularity.

These are his faults and to ignore them would not be wise in my opinion. I feel sorry for what he has gone through, but his actions are still unexceptable. We already have two different charactors who have gone through bad childhoods and have been kind and know what is right.

First example, of course, is Mr. Harry Potter. Know we know that unlike Draco Harry obviously is not liked by who raised him or does Harry even like who raised him. My point is not that there childhoods were identicle or similiar, but that both had bad childhoods that could easily impact bad actions and ideas. Harry could be power hungrey because of his bad childhood like Draco. Harry could have strive off popularity like Draco. I find that if I was to compare the two different bad childhoods, I would find that Harry's would be the one most likely to cause someone to strive off popularity. Harry had been ignored and bullied his whole life. Harry was vastly unpopular. It would make sense for Harry to love popularity, to take in all the new found popularity and turn into Lockhart or Malfoy. Yet, Harry did not do this. He choose the right course and idea. He did not let his childhood cloud his judgement. Harry showed that he knows the difference between right and wrong.

Now, the most important example is not Harry, but Sirius Black. Sirius' childhood seems to match Draco's very well. Sirius grew up under the exact same ideas and principles. The exact same idea. Sirius grew up knowing that if you married a Muggle or non-pureblood you were not part of the family anymore. The Blacks and the Malfoys are extremly alike. They are closely related and believe in the same things and attitudes.

The difference is that Sirius, unlike Draco, did the right things and believed in the right things despite his families ideas that were implanted into his head from birth. Sirius made good friends and despised the ideas of his family. He did went so far as to run away from home. Sirius is the opposite of Draco.

Tonks, I think was also in the same childhood situation as Draco and Sirius. She, like Sirius, made the right choices.

I am not suggesting that Draco will not turn good. I want him to turn good. I think he deserves a second chance. I hope that he will take his second chance. I just do not believe it would be right for us to pass off Draco's actions as acceptable because of his childhood.

hpfan_08
November 8th, 2004, 4:03 am
:lol::rotfl::lol::rotfl: OK im settled down.
Draco good, you have to be joking.

Hey probabley thinks of Voldemort as a grandpa.

Ok I guess you do have a point that he would probably go against Voldemort if he killed his father, but even then that would be out of revenge, not out of his heart.

PGrl
November 8th, 2004, 3:44 pm
The difference is that Sirius, unlike Draco, did the right things and believed in the right things despite his families ideas that were implanted into his head from birth. Sirius made good friends and despised the ideas of his family. He did went so far as to run away from home. Sirius is the opposite of Draco.

Tonks, I think was also in the same childhood situation as Draco and Sirius. She, like Sirius, made the right choices.

I am not suggesting that Draco will not turn good. I want him to turn good. I think he deserves a second chance. I hope that he will take his second chance. I just do not believe it would be right for us to pass off Draco's actions as acceptable because of his childhood.

yeah but Draco hasnt made his decisions yet. Hes only really mad and jelous of Harry, Harry got his father into Azkaban, but I dont really think that Draco wants to be like his father, or at least as bad as Lucius is.

I think hes maybe going to change his mind and maybe join the good side, or just dont support either one. But if he joins the DE hes going to do it as a a challenge to Harry or just to fight agaisnt him, not because he really wants to.

kaopunk
November 8th, 2004, 3:54 pm
I really don't think he is that jealous of Harry. I think he is still upset that Harry turned him down. There could be some jealousy, I mean Draco wanted to be the big man at Hogwarts. Harry does steal the spotlight often.

PGrl
November 8th, 2004, 3:58 pm
I really don't think he is that jealous of Harry. I think he is still upset that Harry turned him down. There could be some jealousy, I mean Draco wanted to be the big man at Hogwarts. Harry does steal the spotlight often.

i think hes jelous cuz he was hoping to have Harry in his side, so that he could be famous, not for his dad but for himself

daz
November 8th, 2004, 3:59 pm
We all ready know Draco wont change JKR has said so.He is evil and thats Draco. He hates Harry even more after OOTP so he wont change.

SwordofHope
November 9th, 2004, 2:13 am
yeah but Draco hasnt made his decisions yet. Hes only really mad and jelous of Harry, Harry got his father into Azkaban, but I dont really think that Draco wants to be like his father, or at least as bad as Lucius is.

I think hes maybe going to change his mind and maybe join the good side, or just dont support either one. But if he joins the DE hes going to do it as a a challenge to Harry or just to fight agaisnt him, not because he really wants to.
I believe that Draco has made decisions.

He choose to call Hermione a "mudblood". Draco choose to make bad friends. Draco chooses to make fun of Ron's family. Draco chooses to want all non-purebloods dead. He chooses to make the nasty comment about Cedric being the first one to go. Malfoy chooses to attack Harry from behind in OOTP instead of in front of his face.

The important thing to remember about Draco is he chooses to follow the horrible ideals of his misguided family. He does this even when his family is not around. Draco Malfoy is power hungrey, and strives off popularity, these are also the bad choices he has made.

Draco chooses to be a jerk and racist.

I hope that Draco turns good, I am not convinced that he will though. I would expect to see some kind of progress in attitude and in his actions. I do not see that he has mad any progression, but is steadly getting worse.

I myself think that if Draco stays on the path he has choosen he will be a very little part of the Death Eaters magical and talent wise. He is a great source inside Hogwarts. His information and location are his biggest benefits for Voldemort and his Death Eaters. I do not find that in battle Draco could do much help inless he does a cowardly act from behind or something of the sort.

PGrl
November 9th, 2004, 3:13 am
I believe that Draco has made decisions.

He choose to call Hermione a "mudblood". Draco choose to make bad friends. Draco chooses to make fun of Ron's family. Draco chooses to want all non-purebloods dead. He chooses to make the nasty comment about Cedric being the first one to go. Malfoy chooses to attack Harry from behind in OOTP instead of in front of his face.

The important thing to remember about Draco is he chooses to follow the horrible ideals of his misguided family. He does this even when his family is not around. Draco Malfoy is power hungrey, and strives off popularity, these are also the bad choices he has made.

Draco chooses to be a jerk and racist.

I hope that Draco turns good, I am not convinced that he will though. I would expect to see some kind of progress in attitude and in his actions. I do not see that he has mad any progression, but is steadly getting worse.

I myself think that if Draco stays on the path he has choosen he will be a very little part of the Death Eaters magical and talent wise. He is a great source inside Hogwarts. His information and location are his biggest benefits for Voldemort and his Death Eaters. I do not find that in battle Draco could do much help inless he does a cowardly act from behind or something of the sort.

You are right, he has been choosng to do all this bad things, but all this doesnt mean that hes going to end like his father. Hes maybe going to be like Snape, that noone really knows in what side he really is in.

AuntHermione
November 9th, 2004, 4:12 am
At the end of OotP, Draco is really bitter by what has happened to his father, and is well known for his feelings of support for Voldemort. I think he will become a Death Eater.

I have a hard time seeing Draco as good but I found something very interesting as I was looking at a Latin book recently. I've never seen Draco as a name ANYwhere...kind of wonder where she (JKR) came up with it. Anyway, I was looking at this Latin book and saw the name under Proper Names. Draco or Draconis was an Athenian lawgiver. I thought this was very interesting considering Draco is anything but lawabiding, unless it serves his purpose.

PGrl
November 9th, 2004, 3:29 pm
I have a hard time seeing Draco as good but I found something very interesting as I was looking at a Latin book recently. I've never seen Draco as a name ANYwhere...kind of wonder where she (JKR) came up with it. Anyway, I was looking at this Latin book and saw the name under Proper Names. Draco or Draconis was an Athenian lawgiver. I thought this was very interesting considering Draco is anything but lawabiding, unless it serves his purpose.

I have Latin too, and theres one word that got my atention Male(Mal-foy, and in spanish Mal means evil or bad) which in latin means ill or badly. If we put those two words together, yours and mine, we come up with something like, Badly/Ill lawabiding....if this has nothing to do with it nevermind this :blush: :D

Aurelia
November 9th, 2004, 4:12 pm
Know what I think? I can think about two ways for him. IMHO:

1. Draco knows that Malfoys aren't servants. He also likes to be on the winning side, and betrayal is not so bad for him. He won't like to serve Voldemort (The Big "V", dude!), so he'll go to the 'good' side. He won't be that completely good, of course. He won't be good either. He'll be with the 'good' people just to win. Cause Malfoy's don't lose.

2. He becomes a Death Eater, but he doesn't like it. Feeling that he's losing the war, he betrays Voldemort and pulls a Snape, becoming a spy. He still acts bad. He still is snarky, and acts like before. But he doesn't serve 'V'. Very Snape-ish way. Maybie too much Snape-ish to really happen.

Draco is cunning and ambitious. He wouldn't be choosed to Slytherin if he wasn't like that. He also isn't stupid (really!). Betrayal would be very Malfoy-ish, no? Now that his father is in Azkaban... He can use his cunning mind against Voldemort and co. Why not?

I really love Draco, cause he's an interesting character. JK can make a lot of him. I'm hoping that she'll not forget about our twitchy little ferret. Draco can suprise us.

Thank you for listening. *chuckles*

esmerelda
November 10th, 2004, 1:06 pm
I definitely don't think Draco Malfoy will turn to the good side, and I really hope he doesn't redeem himself in any way. I can see him becoming a Death Eater, if they're allowed to join up so young. He is an intriguing character, and I want to know more about him and see things from his point of view a bit (how he feels about his father being arrested, or about fighting in a war, etc), but I would hate to see him renounce his evil ways.

samoht
November 10th, 2004, 3:41 pm
Just had a thought... Draco is not stupid, thats for sure... His main purpose would be to get revenge over Harry for putting his dad away.
To do this why not try to give him little hints of what to do and where to go? If he, somehow, earns some kind of sympathy from Harry, and then, finally, will be able to turn him over to his dad(or/and Voldemort).
We could in book 6 see a Draco more friendly to Harry, even one who'll give Harry valuable information about some Dark things - this would continue in parts of book 7, but will finally be Harry's failure and send him to Voldemort?

darkBlue
November 14th, 2004, 10:37 pm
I could not agree with Placebo Addict more.

There may always be girls who, finding Tom Felton cute, will write things like “I (Heart) Draco” etc., but among the more serious readers I am amazed to find belief that Draco is not all bad, and that he may redeem himself in the future. I think, based on my interpretation of interview transcripts, that JKR feels the same surprise at the lack of animosity towards the younger Mr. Malfoy. I cannot predict what role Draco will play yet, but thus far I have difficulty imagining that he will be able to redeem himself in any sort of way.

The theme of prejudice based on purity of blood in the HP books is one of the most compelling as it reveals how similar the muggle and wizarding worlds are in terms of the shared nature of what is evil about them. Purity of blood as a determinant of superiority is as illogical and terrible a measure as race or ethnicity, yet it is also often used nonetheless. JKR, on her website, compares the “half-blood/pure-blood” distinction to the Nazi system of determining degree of Jewish origin. Salazar Slytherin and his desire to keep magical learning “within all-magic families” by making Hogwarts “more selective” is parallel to the “separate but equal” clause referring to separation of African and Caucasian Americans in the U.S. education system, which the Supreme Court only ruled against as recently as 1954 in the case Brown v. Board of Education.

Try substituting a racial epithet for “mudblood” and see how ugly it sounds. And even in the often light-hearted and irreverent world of Harry Potter, it is that ugly. That is why there is such uprising against Voldemort and the dark arts, and why people are willing to risk their lives for the Order of the Phoenix, as Sirius says, “…there are things worth dying for!” In the wizarding world, the Death Eaters represent the Ku Klux Klan.

So it is imperative to note that Draco is no mere school bully, arrogant and conceited because of all of his father’s money, like a hostile, male version of Paris Hilton. He is motivated by a disturbing amount of prejudice. Moreover, Draco does more than just spit out “mudblood” at Hermione every now and then, particularly in CoS. After Mrs. Norris is petrified, he shouts gleefully, “You’ll be next, mudbloods!” and later, “So I bet it’s a matter of time before one of them’s killed this time... I hope it’s Granger.” Draco is approving of the murder of people, notably our beloved Hermione, because they are not pure-bloods. This is as sick as condoning lynching or concentration camps.

Of course, Draco is the product of his family environment, and that affords him a small amount of pity. However, I’m sure we all agree that another one of the key themes in the HP series is that people are able to overcome the way they were raised and the ideologies that were imposed upon them, just as they are able to override their abilities by the choices they make, as Dumbledore tells Harry in a seminal moment. Consider how Percy has turned out despite being raised by the Weasleys. Consider how Seamus Finnigan decided to join the DA and write to his mother after the article in the Quibbler. Consider Harry, who himself has said, “Hagrid, look what I’ve got for relatives! Look at the Dursleys!” Thus, while I pity Draco for being exposed to such prejudice, I can afford him no such lenience for embracing it as he has with such relish.

Draco is not alone at Hogwarts in his actions. Snape himself called Lily Potter a mudblood, and he is another one whom I, and JKR, at least as she indicates in interviews, is surprised that people are fond of. In fact, the password to the whole Slytherin common room in CoS itself was “Pure-Blood,” which is akin to it being “White Power” or something of that nature. There is no subtlety in the prejudice here. In fact, I admire JKR for not taming the display of intolerance in order to make it more palatable to the genre of children’s literature. Like in the real world, it is palpable and prevalent.

I am no good at predictions- in fact I slightly disapprove of the entire practice of making them, so I am not saying that Draco, among others, will never turn over a new leaf. But I cannot myself imagine what could possibly compensate for his character thus far. It is likely that nothing can.

sirius'swife
November 15th, 2004, 2:57 am
^ I agree darkBlue with most of the thing you've said except one thing- Draco might be the product of his childhood but its not impossible to get over that
look at sirius and harry. they had a childhood that might encourage nasty behaviour later on. Especially with Sirius. His parents were fanatical about pure-blood supremacy, and this was before Voldemort. So obviously their world hasn't woken up to the kind of destruction the blood-issue can bring about. But even then, as soon as Voldemort starting voicing his ideas and intentions, most of the purebloods would've heartily agreed with him, even the Blacks. But Sirius thought for himself and decided he didn't want a part in all this and left.
Also, keep in mind that no matter how convinced you are about your beliefs, it can't be easy to be told you're a bad son(as padfoot was) because you're destroying the family pride. But Sirius rose above his circumstances and in a way so has Harry.
And so if he chose to, Draco could've done the same thing. But he seems to be very comfortable, indeed, supportive of the pure-blood supremacy thing. Sirius was the same age Draco is now when he left home to get away from all the pure-blood mania so I don't agree that Draco is too young and that's why he is the way he is.
And like you, I don't like making predictions, as most of the time, we're too clouded by what we want to happen and our feelings and such. So i won't say Draco will never turn good but I will say that they way things are now, I wouldn't bet my house on it.

Marge
November 15th, 2004, 4:39 pm
I can't see Draco being good as such, though he might do the right thing at some point in the future when he realises he cannot go down a particular route (though this may not happen!).

I have also wondered if Draco tries to be like his father in order to gain Lucius' respect, and that ultimately Draco doesn't really have high self esteem because of this, hence his bad behaviour.

Deevo
December 27th, 2004, 1:45 pm
For starters there is no way known that Draco and Harry are going to be playing the good old friends bit. It'll never happen, not in a million years, no way, satan will be ice skating to work the day it does.

I still see a possibility of Draco, maybe with the rest of Slytherin house in tow (after all like Harry in Gryffindor Draco is a leader in Slytherin house), joining forces in the battle against Voldemort. How is this possible? Well if any of you are familiar with Jo Straczynski's superb TV series Babylon 5 you may recall the character of Al Bester, played by Walter Koenig. In short Bester is a high ranking member of an organisation which, without going to detail, is a major protagonist of Sherriden's alliance, much like the Slytherins are to Harry and his people. Basically Bester and his organisation finds himself at odds with Earthgov who themselves are at war with Sherriden's allience. Going by the old warriors adage "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" he joins forces with the good guys to fight the good fight. Both men still hate each other's guts and would kill each other soon as look at them but for the moment they are allied for the greater good.

If Draco were to join forces with Harry this type of scenario is the only way I could see it happening. For some reason, be it personal or through some other necessity, Draco needs Voldemort to become his enemy. Then and only then would there be a plausable and realistic reason for him to team up with the good guys.

Sound like a wild idea?

fire_angel
December 27th, 2004, 2:10 pm
Even though my heart secretly hopes for this, I can't see it coming. Sorry. It would be great to have a Slytherin on the good side. But they can't help it. It's their nature to be mean... unfortunately. I really think Draco will be faithful to the dark side. Bad characters don't become good. Maybe just in low budget movies... :p

lynsey1989
December 27th, 2004, 2:20 pm
if lucius gets out of azkaban which is very likely
and voldemort kills him i think draco may side with harry
not neccisarily likeing him though

Weatherby
December 27th, 2004, 6:48 pm
No way.
I have no doubt of his cruelty. "Well the second. Cedric was the first."
He wasn't allowed to finish that statement in GoF but don't forget the meanness behind it. I'm paraphrasing but it's close enough.

He has no redeemable bone in his body.

slytherin39
December 28th, 2004, 12:23 am
I really do hope Draco will go over to the good side. Maybe it's because fanfiction has warped my mind, but I kinda feel sorry for him. I have this idea that he's (somewhat) forced into the life he has and he will one day realize that's not the life he wants and join the good side. Besides, he would be a really good person to spy on Voldemort.

flipfloputz
December 28th, 2004, 12:41 am
I don't think that Draco will go good. He was raised by parents who strongly supported Voldemort, so it makes no sense for him to turn out on the light side. Also, he would be killed if he tried to change sides, either by Voldemort or his dad.

deathfairy87
December 28th, 2004, 1:27 am
I think Draco will come over to the good side. He's seen what's happened to his father so far. I doubt he wants to end up the same way. I'm not really sure on the subject of him and Harry being friends. I think it'd be a little weird after all they've gone through.

angelzrfree
December 28th, 2004, 1:48 am
I am sorry to say one of those people who believe that Draco was really warning the "golden" trio in the beginning of the book where he says for them to hide in the forest. He tries to play it off of course because his lackeys are right near him. I think Draco has the potential to be good. Or maybe he'll be those guys who only help when it is really needed. You know like a secret superman.

teo
December 28th, 2004, 7:09 pm
No, no, no. Draco is bad and will always be bad. He hasn't done one single thing in the books that suggest anything other than this. His father going to Azkaban will only make him worse.

clkginny
December 28th, 2004, 7:20 pm
I am sorry to say one of those people who believe that Draco was really warning the "golden" trio in the beginning of the book where he says for them to hide in the forest. He tries to play it off of course because his lackeys are right near him. I think Draco has the potential to be good. Or maybe he'll be those guys who only help when it is really needed. You know like a secret superman.
Or it could be he is one of those people who enjoy taunting others. And in the same scene you're talking about he was very proud of the fact that his parents were out there with masks on taunting muggles. I just can't see Draco all the sudden "seeing the error of his ways" so to speak.

runitzandrew
December 28th, 2004, 7:22 pm
Or it could be he is one of those people who enjoy taunting others. And in the same scene you're talking about he was very proud of the fact that his parents were out there with masks on taunting muggles. I just can't see Draco all the sudden "seeing the error of his ways" so to speak.
Good point. Nor do i. :)

chupachup07
December 28th, 2004, 7:33 pm
Well, it could be a possibility. Maybe that's why Snape spends so much time with him at school, hoping to "change him to the good side" kind of deal.

Kidgray
December 28th, 2004, 7:34 pm
I don't think Malfoy could ever be on the good side. He's just a spoiled boy, used to getting what he wants. In COS, however, you can tell that Draco's father isn't really happy with him, which didn't please him at all... I think that will spur Draco on even further to live up to his father's expectations, none of which are good for Harry and the rest. With the life Draco seems to have had, I don't think there's any room for a change, but then again, I didn't expect Snape to be a good character either at first.
Oh well, Draco's still fun to draw, at any rate!

LilCubanita67
December 28th, 2004, 7:45 pm
If Draco does turn on the good side I don't know if Hermione would ever forgive him for all those years of "mudblood" remarks. I don't think that Harry or Ron would believe him anyway--they'd probably think that he was just trying to trick them. Maybe he will go running to the good side...that's what I think will happen in Draco's Detour.

itsmeeverybody
December 28th, 2004, 8:09 pm
I don't see how Draco could possible 'go over to the good side', his father seems far too controlling of him. I'm not defending Draco, merely pointing out, however, that Harry and co. are hardly 'nice' to him. Draco is a product of his upbringing to some extent. One gets the impression that his father is someone he aspires to yet can never entirely please (here I take into account both the books and CoS film because I believe that JKR agreed with the way L. Malfoy was played - and example is in Flourish and Blotts with Lucius' comment 'now, now Draco, play nicely'. Draco has been brought up to show animosity and contempt towards muggles, Harry, Weaslys etc so accordingly makes a snide comment yet is reprimanded by his father - he can never please his father or live up to his expectations.)

To go back to my point, Draco seems not to 'hate' Harry and co., I don't believe in hate. There's is indocrinated despisal of those Draco has been taught are 'lower' than him, and jealousy of Hermione's abilities and intelligence (where his father believes he shoudl be better than her) and jealousy of Harry's popularity, fame, favouritism for him shown by teachers and Dumbledore etc. Draco is, in part, swept along by his parents. The majority of children, like Draco, admire and respect their parents. Lucius being sent to Azkaban goes against this - it is easier for Draco to blame Harry than to force himself to see his father's faults.

The point of Sirius breaking from his family I believe illustrates the difference in character between him and Draco. Firstly Draco is weaker in character; it would be harder for him to do such a thing. Secondly, Sirius had a brother. This may seem irrelevant but Sirius focussed his hate on his brother, he was jealous of attention lavished on his brother etc and so Regulus became a focus of this hate, allowing Sirius to use Regulus as an example of everything to hate and so allowing him to hate his family and the Dark Side. Draco has no such alternative, his father has indocrinated him with beliefs and ideals since he was born through force, emotional manipulation etc. Accordingly Draco's behaviour is understandable and I find myself pitying and almost liking him. I don't think he is a black-hearted as his father, I don't htink he quite realises the gravity of his actions and, just as Hermione is immediately labelled by purebloods as a 'mudblood', he has been labelled a Slytherin, a pureblood and therefore is expected to act the way he does. Sometimes it is easier for people to conform than we realise.

Please let me know what you think of my analysis and do ask for clarification if I am confused or anything.

Whether he can change or not, well, we'll have to leave that to JKR

Snidget66
December 29th, 2004, 1:12 am
The only reason why everyone thinks that Draco will turn out to be a good guy is cause the guy who plays him in the films, Tom Felton, makes Malfoy look like a good guy (not sure if that makes sense or not. ah well, tried my best.)

Arashel
December 29th, 2004, 1:29 am
Draco is a scared little boy...I think like Peter he will jump to the side which is the strongest or is winning. In his eyes, he thinks mudbloods are weak, he thinks Dumbledore is an idiot and the whole goodie-guys are weak as well. He sees his father as strong and the pure-bloods as strong as well. If he ever really did see the good guys winning or they win or sees the truth about it, I'm sure he'd be snivelling like a baby to get his life saved. I'm talking about Draco now, not Tom. :p

lazinger
December 29th, 2004, 1:32 am
As many people have said, I think he'll only be good if Vold. kills Lucius because then Draco won't have a role model anymore and no one to tell him what's right and wrong for a pure blood

Snidget66
December 29th, 2004, 1:35 am
Draco is a scared little boy...I think like Peter he will jump to the side which is the strongest or is winning. In his eyes, he thinks mudbloods are weak, he thinks Dumbledore is an idiot and the whole goodie-guys are weak as well. He sees his father as strong and the pure-bloods as strong as well. If he ever really did see the good guys winning or they win or sees the truth about it, I'm sure he'd be snivelling like a baby to get his life saved. I'm talking about Draco now, not Tom. :p

I agree with everything you said except for when you say that Draco is a what is it...a yes, "a scared little boy".

LuvRed
December 29th, 2004, 11:51 pm
Draco Malfoy name is scripted for no other purpose than evil; he is a "Bad Dragon". He's not sweet or forgiving. If anything I imagine that Malfoy will be hades on wheels in the HBP. Harry should watch his back, and especially Hermione, because he hates her even more than Potter. I think Draco Malfoy will be more deadly/evil than his father and mother put together.

Arwen42
December 29th, 2004, 11:56 pm
Draco is a bad person, and I believe he will always be bad. He has never do anything that has made me think "hmm...he can change." He likes to tease people, make them feel miserable and step on them if he could. I don't think he will ever change to good. What I do believe is that he will get more evil. He's going to be a scary adult.

Briar Filth
December 30th, 2004, 1:37 am
I think Draco will play a more significant part in the next two books. I hope so, I've always wanted to see more into his character. I think JK has hidden quite a bit about him. There's a theory that connects his name and the Hogwarts motto that I found interesting. I won't tell you what it is, because I'll probably tell it wrong.

Anyhoo, it's known for a fact that there is a chapter in HBP that 'stars' Draco so to speak. I've just mentioned it in another thread, it's called 'Draco's Detour'. A detour to the 'good' side? A little too far fetched, oui? A detour..... to a place? The Burrow, Gryffindor Common Room? All very silly ideas, aren't they? So what could it be about? That question has been reeling through my mind all day, has anyone else got any ideas as to what this detour could be? Maybe it has something to do with Draco's view of the forthcoming war, which could inevitably change what side he will end up on?

teo
December 30th, 2004, 2:29 am
I think Draco will play a more significant part in the next two books. I hope so, I've always wanted to see more into his character. I think JK has hidden quite a bit about him. There's a theory that connects his name and the Hogwarts motto that I found interesting. I won't tell you what it is, because I'll probably tell it wrong.

Anyhoo, it's known for a fact that there is a chapter in HBP that 'stars' Draco so to speak. I've just mentioned it in another thread, it's called 'Draco's Detour'. A detour to the 'good' side? A little too far fetched, oui? A detour..... to a place? The Burrow, Gryffindor Common Room? All very silly ideas, aren't they? So what could it be about? That question has been reeling through my mind all day, has anyone else got any ideas as to what this detour could be? Maybe it has something to do with Draco's view of the forthcoming war, which could inevitably change what side he will end up on?

The thing I just can't see is what reason Draco would have to completely reverse his actions from the first 5 books and switch over to the good side, or even to become simply "less bad" than he has been. In OotP, Draco hates Harry, hates Harry's friends, and so on. At the end of OotP, Draco's father gets carted off to Azkaban. The only real outcome I can see of this for the time being is that Draco will only hate Harry even more! The only way I see Draco even having a remote chance to end up on the good side is if Voldemort kills Lucius, which I don't think will happen.

Briar Filth
December 30th, 2004, 2:35 am
well, we can all debate it, but really the only thing we can do that will have an undoubtedly positive outcome is to wait for the book to be published an then read read read!

ChiChi
December 30th, 2004, 5:15 am
Draco's smart, I think he will see ( somehow) that beeing on Voldies side will make the Malfoys gain nothin and by that he will try to turn his father(or at least stand up to him)

*sorry if this doesn't make any sense

Briar Filth
December 30th, 2004, 2:18 pm
Draco's smart, I think he will see ( somehow) that beeing on Voldies side will make the Malfoys gain nothin and by that he will try to turn his father(or at least stand up to him)

*sorry if this doesn't make any sense

No, it does make sense and I know what you're getting at. I saw a theory somewhere (may have been this thread, can't really remember) that the stringy Slytherin who could see the Threstrals in Hagrid's lesson (Nott, first name Theo, but that might be his father) Anyhoo, there's a theory lurking about that suggests Nott Jr. will be the strong Slytherin who will have enough mind of his own to do his own thing other than join Voldy, albeit he may not join the good side, but what the hey, one less Death Eater aye?

JKR said there was a scene she had to cut out where Mr Nott goes to see Mr Malfoy at the Malfoy Manor, and we see Draco and Nott Jr. talking in the garden. If I remember right she said that Nott Jr. was one of the people that Draco saw as truly being an equal, and that Nott Jr. is probably even smarter than Draco. Someone else in the forum around here said that Nott Jr. may be the one to spark off a union of all the Hogwarts houses, and considering the fact that Draco sees him as an equal, he may be the key factor in swaying Draco and pulling him away from the Death Eaters and The Big Bad V.

(sorry I can't remember if it's Mr Nott or Nott Jr. who has the first name of Theo :s )

lynsey1989
December 30th, 2004, 3:33 pm
JKR said there was a scene she had to cut out where Mr Nott goes to see Mr Malfoy at the Malfoy Manor, and we see Draco and Nott Jr. talking in the garden. If I remember right she said that Nott Jr. was one of the people that Draco saw as truly being an equal, and that Nott Jr. is probably even smarter than Draco. Someone else in the forum around here said that Nott Jr. may be the one to spark off a union of all the Hogwarts houses, and considering the fact that Draco sees him as an equal, he may be the key factor in swaying Draco and pulling him away from the Death Eaters and The Big Bad V.]
i read this scene on JKR's website and wish she pit it in the books, it sounds amazing.

Briar Filth
December 30th, 2004, 3:45 pm
]
i read this scene on JKR's website and wish she pit it in the books, it sounds amazing.

It does sound great doesn't it? Hopefull she'll try and slip in to one of the next two books.

*Quick Question: Does JKR ever Anonymously visit this forum to check up on what her little fans are discussing and debating? For her own amusement of course.

lynsey1989
December 30th, 2004, 3:58 pm
*Quick Question: Does JKR ever Anonymously visit this forum to check up on what her little fans are discussing and debating? For her own amusement of course.

yeah i think she said she did

Briar Filth
December 30th, 2004, 4:02 pm
I wonder what she thinks of all our theories.

lynsey1989
December 30th, 2004, 4:02 pm
probaby laughs at most of them

Briar Filth
December 30th, 2004, 4:08 pm
I think she said once that there was a fan theory that she liked so much that she didn't want to crush it, but she had to because it was just wrong. Something about the Order communicating through Chocolate Frog Cards

lynsey1989
December 30th, 2004, 4:11 pm
oyeh i heard that one or something about dumbledore knowing everything because he was on chocolate frog cards.

Fred Black
December 30th, 2004, 4:15 pm
Draco wanted to be Harry's friend in the beginnig but it didn't work out. I think Draco's head is in the cloud becasue his father is important and is a death eater and has nothing to fear from Voldemort, however now that Mr. Malfoy is in trouble and locked and found out he might seny any connection with Voldermort and so Voldermort will try to get revenge and attack his son. I think it would be cheesy but i wouldn't might if Draco joins th Good side.

Briar Filth
December 30th, 2004, 4:17 pm
I certainly hope Draco joins the good side.

Everyone loves a reformed sinner.

enchantedgerbil
December 30th, 2004, 4:28 pm
No matter how many people theorize about Draco having a good side, or Draco turning over a new leaf and becoming good, I will never believe it. I'll acknowledge that Draco isn't completely evil, because no human is. (Voldemort may be, but he said himself that he is 'much more than a man'.) Still, though, I can't imagine a scene in a book that goes along the lines of:

Draco: Gee, Harry; I've been mean to you all these years, and I know that we're sworn enemies and all, but now that Daddy's in Askaban I realize that nothing can be gained by joining Voldemort. Can I join the D.A. instead?

Draco is mean, cruel, and stupid. In my mind, there is no sign of earthly redemption possible for him. Sorry Tom Felton fangirls, but Draco is not going to change.

Edit:

It may not entirely be Draco's fault that he's a little prick. A Death Eater father, a muggle-prejudiced family, and the depressing underground Slytherin common room could do that to anyone. (I don't even think that Slytherins are evil, but that the Slytherin atmosphere and the hardened older Slytherins cause them to be bitter. It's an endless cycle!)

Still, in the words of Ron, poisonous toadstools don't change their spots! Draco will not change his ways.

Briar Filth
December 30th, 2004, 4:39 pm
Draco: Gee, Harry; I've been mean to you all these years, and I know that we're sworn enemies and all, but now that Daddy's in Askaban I realize that nothing can be gained by joining Voldemort. Can I join the D.A. instead?

Draco is mean, cruel, and stupid. In my mind, there is no sign of earthly redemption possible for him. Sorry Tom Felton fangirls, but Draco is not going to change.

Heck, if he ever does change his opinions it's NOT going to be like that is it? If Draco meets his death scene in the last two books, I hope they get a new actor other than Felton, he's utter pants. He ruins the character. He even said himself that he hadn't read the books. Traitor. An actor in a book-to-film should read and re-read every scene their character is in. Felton, contary to fangirl belief, is poo.

Sorry, I went off the subject there

filius
December 30th, 2004, 6:08 pm
Hell no..

I know all those fan girls out there want him to, but all crushes aside here, not a chance...

Briar Filth
December 30th, 2004, 6:13 pm
I used to fancy him when I was in my first year of school (I'm now in my fifth) - and then Lord of The Rings came along...... I was quickly distracted by Aragorn lol

Deevo
December 30th, 2004, 9:54 pm
Definately mean, sometimes cruel but not stupid. I agree that he'll never change how he feels toward Harry but even given that the way is still open for him to join forces with the opponents of Voldemort. There have been good examples in other stories of enemies cooperating in the past when they need each other to achieve the same ends. After all the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

weasley
December 30th, 2004, 10:12 pm
I don't think Draco'd ever go to the good side, more to do with his family than anything.

daz
December 30th, 2004, 10:18 pm
We know Draco wont change. JKR has said so. He is just Evil and thats all there is too him.

And you can see alot more tenison between Harry and Draco in HBP. Harry has just got racos father sent to Azakban.

CarrieM
December 30th, 2004, 11:15 pm
I can't see Draco joining the Order/DA/HP/Dumbledore side in the books, but I can see him weedling out of being on either side. Or if he's a Death Eater, I can see him not being able to really go through with something monstrous. Afterall he's a spoiled little rich boy, he ran from Voldemort in PS and according to OOTP, he's never even seen someone die. I don't think he's predisposed towards the light or dark side, Draco's just self serving and cowardly - so he'll act accordingly.

FutureMrsFelton
December 31st, 2004, 8:36 pm
I think that, there will be sometime in the future where Draco just might be nice to Harry...or atleast try. For the most part, Draco grew up with his loathsome father Lucious. I think that if Draco hadn't been put into a "hating mud-blood family" he wouldn't be so evil. In SS he did try to be nice to Harry. I think that there is some good in Draco, but I do not know how we will find out. I think that Draco has the capability to be good, but only treats people so rotten because he feels he HAS to because of his father. Or he has just been sucked into this jerk world from his father and has been growing up that way. But I do not know if Draco will ever turn good...even though everyone has the capability to be good.

By the way...I love draco

The thing I just can't see is what reason Draco would have to completely reverse his actions from the first 5 books and switch over to the good side, or even to become simply "less bad" than he has been. In OotP, Draco hates Harry, hates Harry's friends, and so on. At the end of OotP, Draco's father gets carted off to Azkaban. The only real outcome I can see of this for the time being is that Draco will only hate Harry even more! The only way I see Draco even having a remote chance to end up on the good side is if Voldemort kills Lucius, which I don't think will happen.

Though I just posted before this. I saw this comment and I really thought about it. I DO think that since Lucios was dragged off into Azkaban that Draco will hate Harry even more!! And he will try to play revenge on Harry. But there is still time for Draco to decide what side he wants to be on.

And let me add...that Tom Felton is one of the best actors in the HP films...he has been in many films before and he is more natural. I think he plays good as Draco Malfoy. And that he should stay as Draco int he upcoming films. No one could play Draco better than Tom.

And another thing...I hope they do NOT change any of the actors because it will simply not be HP without them. Like Daniel or Emma or something. Even though I think Emma isn't all that great at times and same to Daniel...but they are good!

**sorry for being off topic**

Natsufan
December 31st, 2004, 9:31 pm
No matter how many people theorize about Draco having a good side, or Draco turning over a new leaf and becoming good, I will never believe it. I'll acknowledge that Draco isn't completely evil, because no human is. (Voldemort may be, but he said himself that he is 'much more than a man'.) Still, though, I can't imagine a scene in a book that goes along the lines of:

Up to this point, I totally agree with you. None of us think any of the Slytherin should change hearts. They should change sides. Of course, Draco is NOT going to even change sides. But we'll discuss that later.

I would ask people PLEASE not to think that everyone of us who disagrees with the image given Draco is a "Tom Felton fangirl". Some of us don't like Tom Felton beyond his acting abilities, and some of us simply think that Draco Malfoy is unbelievable as he is.

So, two points: Tom Felton is a competent actor. Nothing compared to the "adult" actors of the movie, such as Alan Rickman or Maggie Smith, but when given a scene in which he is NOT attacking Harry, he does quite well. The Polyjuice Potion scene in Chamber of Secrets is an example. I got hooked at his ACTING abilities with the "I didn't know you could read" sentence, and the rest of the following scene. The kid doesn't act bad. He's not a cutie, no matter what some girls may think. So, let's discuss this point, and don't say "you like Tom Felton" stuff, because, at least for some of us, it's NOT Tom Felton.

You wrote:

Draco is mean, cruel, and stupid. In my mind, there is no sign of earthly redemption possible for him.
Neither in mine, nor in JK Rowling's which is the one who matters. Rowling has officially doomed Draco to the bad side, and that's what it is. There is no choice of redemption for him. But now, let's think again about the:

Draco is mean, cruel, and stupid.

AND a coward, AND lazy, AND a poor student, AND a poor quidditch player, AND aggressive... Do I go on? That's what I dislike of Draco's character, and why I wish (against all hope, of course, I know that) that he changed. Not necessarily to the good side, but at least for the better. I mean, if you are a coward, you don't insult a bunch of people in front of their faces. If you've been beaten a few times, you usually stop being afraid of beatings. If you are lazy and a bad student, it is very strange that you are hard-working enough to bother other people's lives. If you are cunning, you don't attack by the back IN FRONT OF MANY OTHER PEOPLE. That's admitting you are a *******, CUNNING PEOPLE DON'T DO THAT. If you are headstrong enough to go chasing Potter and friends forever, why aren't you headstrong enough to get good marks or win at quidditch or be less coward or become richer? Headstrong, lazy and coward? Doesn't match. It's like if JK wanted to tell us: "Look! A hateful guy! See how hateful he is?". Sorry, NO ONE is that hateful. He has so many negative qualities that some of them contradict each other. If a kid likes to attack with words or backstab, he doesn't attack physically. If a kid can attack physically, then he is no coward, at least not in the whiny-Mom-it-hurts-so-much that Malfoy Jr. is.

I could believe in Draco Malfoy the Evil git if, at least, he was competent at something. If he was a proper rival. But, things as they are, I can't just hate him, despite him being hateful. If I knew him, I would hate him. But as a literary character, I can't. Just as I can't like Harry because of his perfections... In fact, I sometimes like him despite his perfection.

You also wrote:
It may not entirely be Draco's fault that he's a little prick. A Death Eater father, a muggle-prejudiced family, and the depressing underground Slytherin common room could do that to anyone. (I don't even think that Slytherins are evil, but that the Slytherin atmosphere and the hardened older Slytherins cause them to be bitter. It's an endless cycle!)
Maybe? I've written about this stuff in many threads before. If you get a homeschooled kid at eleven, and instead of teaching him NOT to believe like his parents, you enclose him among the racist kids, and put him in charge of Snape, a teacher who encourages their racist, uppity, abusive behaviour, you can't really blame the child for ending up being racist. All the Slyths are in a vicious circle. It's not their choices as normal people if they get out of it. If someone gets out of such a vicious circle, it's because that person is specially intelligent or sainting material.

So, no, Draco is not going to change his ways. He's going to be dumber, cowarder, eviler than ever. Harry will suffer and in the end will defeat Voldemort to great costs. And I'm beginning to be really disappointed with the books. In terms of good and evil, they have as much shades of grey as a soap opera. The good are very good, the bad are very bad, the good suffer and in the end they win.

Yahoo. I just wonder if I'll read Half-blood prince. I suppose I'll wait for your comments and spoilers before reading it. I guess I'm going to be very disappointed.

Idrillia
January 5th, 2005, 7:38 pm
I don't know if he becomes a "good guy" but I sincerly hope that he'll turn the other derection. I've wouldn't have him lose his fangs, because that is the entertaining thing about him, so maybe some kind of anti hero. I don't ever think he will be like Harry or Ron or Hermione, they are like the good heroes, but maybe he could be a wicked hero, if you know what I mean. We must admit that he is wonderful to hate, is he not?
Draco is one of my favorite characters, and I would think it is a pity if he becomea a death eater.
I agree with you all in here, I think it is his parents fault, that he is that total prick he is. He is risen in a muggle hating home and he is risen to be an arrogant, muggle hating, wicked little prick. If he can escape the claws of his father, then there maybe can be hope for him. Now that Lucius is in prison, and out in the open as a death eater when he escapes, then there maybe is hope for poor Draco. I also think that it could be totally cool if Draco and Hermoine fall in love, but then again it is so unrealistic.
There is still hope for Draco, even though he is a horrible little slimeball for the time being.
And the sixth chapter in book number six will be "Draco's detour" I wonder what that chapter will have hidden...

fairy_lightz
January 5th, 2005, 8:40 pm
i think he wont

BlackPanther16
January 5th, 2005, 10:24 pm
I think there is a chance that Draco will change. His evilness is, I feel, due to his father. Under another role model, perhaps Snape, he may go from potentially evil to just plain snarky and malicious. Snape I feel would be most likely to guide Draco to the light side. He is, in a way, Draco's mentor; he has always seemed to favor him. I also see Draco as one who avoids violence and conflict. It doesn't seem likely he'd be a Death Eater. There also seems to be a parallel between young James and Snape and Harry and Draco. I can see Harry saving Draco's life, and I can DEFINITELY see Draco being none too pleased about it.

I'm sure there's more plot analysis in my brain somewhere, but my fingers are cramping. Ow!

Briar Filth
January 5th, 2005, 10:29 pm
Didn't Dumbledore say somewhere that the 'relationship' between Sev and James was similiar to that od Harry's and Draco's? Good point BlackPanther16, Harry may well 'save' Draco's life in one of the next 2 books. Perhaps it happens in 'Draco's Detour'?

melusinafairy
January 6th, 2005, 4:54 am
i dont think draco would go to the "good side" because that would be like saying ron will turn evil... unless something HUGE provokes his change, i believe that he will remain on the side with his parents and mentors. Its like in an election. Usually kids like the candidate whom their parents like (usually, not always... not in my case at least :p) and the kids would usually vouch for them without thinking of their own values. Its because they were raised under the guidance of their parents for so long.

enchantedgerbil
January 6th, 2005, 7:40 pm
I was being a bit idiotic with the 'Tom Felton fangirls' thing... I was sort of ranting, and I'm sorry if I made anyone mad. I suppose there are Draco fans out there that don't give a cheese about Tom Felton, so sorry. It just shows how much I know about the world of Harry Potter fans. I didn't mean it personally to anyone; I just tend to exclaim and defend my beliefs to the death when I don't really need to. Sorry. Again.

When I said Draco was stupid, I didn't mean intelligence-wise as much as wise-wise... as in, he makes foolish mistakes (such as taunting Buckbeak). I guess he may not be all that stupid; I really just hate him a lot and thus call him it, in the way that Harry and Ron call him a 'stupid git'. Plus when you think about it, judging people by their bloodlines is pretty stupid. I could've been a bit out of context, but oh well.

So, basically, sorry if I offended anyone, but that's just what I believe. And sorry again for sounding like a [female dog].

Briar Filth
January 6th, 2005, 8:33 pm
So what you're saying is that he's not got much common sense.......?

Well, lack of common sense sounds right for Draco.

MadMagic
January 6th, 2005, 11:14 pm
Even if Mr. Malfoy falls out of favor and is killed by Voldemort, I still don't see Draco becomeing 'good'. He might not be actively involved with Voldemort anymore, but like Mrs. Black, he probably will always believe that Pure Bloods are superior in all ways.

aggiefan1206
January 6th, 2005, 11:23 pm
The only way Draco turns good is if his father is killed by Voldemort, but he still was raised to be a brat. I dont think him and harry would ever be friends and plus that would make life to easy on harry at hogwarts.

BluecanaryLite
January 10th, 2005, 11:11 pm
I think Draco will definitely end up on the good side, but for his own reasons. It would serve JKR's theme of unity.

emily105
January 10th, 2005, 11:17 pm
I don't know about that. In my opinion, Draco would only turn to the good side if he has become a Death Eater, met Voldemort, got wimped out at what he was asked to do by Voldemort, and then turned good. Does that make sense? Anyways, I think that Draco will turn good, but not at the moment. He would have have done something really stupid and evil and gotten some kind of consequence for his actions before going to the good side. That is what I think might possibly happen to him.

BluecanaryLite
January 10th, 2005, 11:19 pm
Exactly. Draco will eventually end up on the right side, but for his own reasons, which will likely include some mistakes he will make.

SuperDufus
January 11th, 2005, 4:43 am
I would be quite dissapointed if Draco turned good.
I personally want a dramatic showdown between him and Harry somewhere.
All of the tension that has built over so much time needs to be released, not nullified.

ArtemisiaDax
January 11th, 2005, 5:21 am
As has been said before, I think that the only way that Draco becomes good is if Voldemort is directly responsible for the death of either Lucius or Narcissa. Even then, he wouldn't be truly good, only on the good side. He and Harry are never going to get along, and Draco is never going to be an unprejudiced lovable reformed Draco (i.e. the Draco of fanon, who is wholly different from the Draco of canon.)
Also, JKR seems to have extreme distaste for the character, which makes me think that he's not going to be going down any path of redemption. Ever.
Part of me wishes that he would at least join the good side, because then he wouldn't just be a mini-Lucius, but if he does, then he's almost like a mini-Snape, although more cowardly and stupid.
The other problem is that the books are building towards a Voldemort-Harry confrontation. What good is a Draco-Harry confrontation going to do next to that?
The Draco of the books is manipulative, whiny, prejudiced, and generally horrible. He's never going to be a nice person. He's not going to change his personality. He might change sides - he is a Slytherin, after all, and he's primarily going to be looking out for himself - but he's going to be the same person no matter what.
We all know that the Houses have to unite in the coming books, but who, exactly, is going to take the initiative on the Slytherin side of things is still unknown. It could be Draco (this is, after all, HP and nothing is impossible) but somehow I doubt it.

Oooh...just saw a post about Draco turning if he was too much of a coward to do what was asked of him. Personally, I don't think he'd have a problem with inflicting harm on others - I think he would really be able to enjoy casting a Cruciatus Curse on Harry - but if he did end up too cowardly to do what was asked of him, he might wind up like Sirius's brother. Just a thought.

hilkaryIC
January 11th, 2005, 5:38 am
I forsee that the only way that the houses will unite is without Draco. He is very stuborn and the only way he would move anginst LV is if Lucis is killed by him directly (otherwise he die sin the line of duty and knobly). Does this mean that I believe that he will die, eh yeah maybe i do. Crabble and Goyle are mere followers and minions. With Draco out of the picture it could be possible for someone else, antother Slytherin (hmm, maybe Nott) to take the reins of the House. This could ofcouse also happen with another Slytherin becoming a more powerful influence over the house. This could also be a result of the house and fortune of Malfoy taking a hit. So in the end I do not see Draco being good, but I do see Slytherins coming over to the light.

PsychoLLLL
January 11th, 2005, 5:42 am
sure....in fanfiction!! haha, no i'm just joking....there are so many possibilities. i mean, no because he's so stubborn and all, but yes because he can suddenly turn apologetic. however, my guess? no. but don't kill me if i'm wrong!! *hides from spears*

justXslightly
January 17th, 2005, 7:59 pm
I agree with hilkaryIC

and I also believe that Draco's chances of joining the good side are very slim. He could remain that twitchy little ferret of he could become a Death Eater in his Future, but otherwise, there is a slight chance he will be killed