CoSForums ArchiveCoSForums Archive

Go Back   CoSForums Archive > Hogwarts > Divination Studies
User Name
Password

Who will fall in love with whom? v.49

Old March 9th, 2005, 7:45 am
Fifth Year

Send a message via ICQ to tarachristwen Send a message via MSN to tarachristwen Send a message via Yahoo to tarachristwen
true,harry and hermione has a great friendship but it doesn't mean they can't be just plaonic friends,right??????

get sorted at nimbo.net.

100% supporter of H/G and R/Hr ships!!!
Old March 9th, 2005, 8:02 am
First Year

Quote:
I didn't say that. I said it affects how we view the characters, not how we view the relationships.

I apologize for the mistake!

Quote:
Yes, the way I ship is based purely on the text.
I have never been in love. I've had crushes, but have never been in a reciprocal relationship. My parents are not in love. I don't have a very strong idea of what "in love" should look like based on real life experiences. Most of my ideas are from books, TV and movies. That's why I focus on conventions, because that's what I recognize.

I guess I have a strong sense of what love is. I've had crushes, although never been in an actual relationship. However, the many people around me who are in love act like R/Hr. But that is not the only reason I believe they should be together. There are certain textual clues. But my view of the clues is often interpreted through my personal experience.

Quote:
I think in cases like these the "majority rules" interpretation is the correct one. JKR meant them to be interpreted a certain way, and if that way isn't the majority's way, then she hasn't succeeded as an author.

I agree with this.This is very powerful in the debate.

Quote:
But those scenes that are interpreted multiple ways usually don't have to do with conventions, they're usually about "is Hermione jealous of Fleur or not?" and things like that.

Again, the perception of the person comes in in these scenes. You are right about them not following conventions. But they are so debateable because of personal beliefs. They may be easy to discredit, but not easy to ignore.

Quote:
I find it easy. Sometimes (or frequently, actually) I do get emotional when I post on here, but it's usually out of frustration that someone isn't getting the point I'm making. I'm more emotional about my ideas about the ships than about the ships themselves. That's why I get irked when someone says that Hermione/Ron following the "bickering lovers" tradition is a bad argument because "it's too stereotypical". I'm not upset because they don't agree with the ship, but because they don't understand the difference between stereotypes and conventions, and they don't recognize that HP is actually full of conventions.
I like the Weasleys a lot, and I identify with Hermione a lot, but I don't like Ron better than Harry (although I do like them in different ways) and actually, I'm not especially fond of Ginny. So it's not personal preference for the characters that makes me ship the way I do. If it was, I'd be shipping Hermione/Lupin.

I try not to get too emotional. However, I tend to follow the stereotypes because that's what I know. Literative conventions are difficult for me to grasp. So I do fall into that category. And when I post something that is too stereotypical, rip it apart. I want to understand all views. Thanks for your opinion. I must go to bed. Have a great night all.

I ship because I believe!
Old March 9th, 2005, 8:21 am
First Year

There is "crush" and there is "true love". In the series, "crush" is something you get over with after a while, whereas "true love" lingers. Mrs. Molly Weasley and Hermione both had crush for Prof. Lockhart. Later, Molly got over with it and married Arthur. After Lockhart was found to be fraud, Hermione did not think highly of him anymore.
Ginny's feeling towards Harry was regarded as crush by her brothers. However, she could not really get over him. Therefore through Hermione, we are informed that Ginny had crush with Harry, but now not anymore. "Not that she does not like Harry". Ginny simply shook off the label "crush" and now she can be allowed to "like" Harry. I suspect this is how the author prepares the future revelation that since the beginning Ginny actually has true love for Harry, not crush. She loves him and time proves this to be real. Whether Harry feels the same, is not known yet. Maybe it's the chocolate, but I feel a bit hopeful.

Old March 9th, 2005, 8:30 am
First Year

I've been in love, and I've seen real love.

Real love isnt the endless bickering between Ron and Hermione. That's crush type stuff. All the relationships I've seen where that's the primary interaction between the 2 parties have failed miserably. It's the people with a deep connection between each other that work. I'm not saying they dont joke around and have a good time, but Ron and Hermione have demonstrated little depth to their relationship (so far)

Old March 9th, 2005, 8:37 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by VardaoftheSta
Thanks for your opinion. I must go to bed. Have a great night all.

Goodnight

Quote:
Mrs. Molly Weasley and Hermione both had crush for Prof. Lockhart. Later, Molly got over with it and married Arthur.
Um... are you saying Molly and Arthur weren't married before Molly got over her crush on Lockhart?
Hm... Maybe that's why the Christian Right doesn't like Harry Potter, not because of the witchcraft, but because of those sinful commonlaw-living Weasleys, and their seven out-of-wedlock kids! Next we're going to find out that Filch and Snape have a thing for each other! Was it really just coincidence that they were both prowling the halls in their nightrobes in GoF? Sinful books!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinem
I've been in love, and I've seen real love.

Real love isnt the endless bickering between Ron and Hermione. That's crush type stuff. All the relationships I've seen where that's the primary interaction between the 2 parties have failed miserably. It's the people with a deep connection between each other that work. I'm not saying they dont joke around and have a good time, but Ron and Hermione have demonstrated little depth to their relationship (so far)

Harry, Ron and Hermione are NOT real people though. They're literary constructs.

If the bickering lovers relationship can work for Beatrice and Benedick, it can work for Hermione and Ron.

...the look of LOVE is in their eyes!

My editorial: Locations of Azkaban and Durmstrang Revealed!
(The Azkaban theory has been debunked, but the Durmstrang theory stands!)

My editorial:
Harry's Hero's Journey
Old March 9th, 2005, 8:49 am
First Year

Kinem,
I saw an essay a while ago by Karen regarding the bickering. The theory is Ron and Hermione did that to mask their growing feelings. The bickering started to build up after Yule Ball and toned down roughly after Ron gave Hermione the perfume in OotP. In fact, they stayed together a lot in OotP without Harry and seems to enjoy it (from the letters to Harry). Interestingly they started to use "we" and "us" against Harry (who uses "you two" to them) when Harry got angry for being left alone at Dursleys.
Notice that Harry is not jealous to Ron. Nor does he thank Ron for taking care of Hermione for him (the two sides of the coin). He simply accepts Hermione and Ron being together for whatever reasons. (I don't see Ron can accept it when Hermione is with Krum). My favorite part of OotP for Ron and Hermione is at the very end (p. 870?), when they say good bye to Harry. First, Mrs. Weasley said "..we...", then Ron said "We will get you out soon, mate" and Hermione said "We promise". It was written so nicely that I have to make sure I did not miss anything about Ron proposing to Hermione a few pages before (in the hospital maybe?).

banduraqueen,
If I correctly read, Molly used to have crush to Lockhart when she was young. Almost all girls at that time supposed to fall into his charm. But she did not stay in love with Lockhart. She got over it and then married Arthur and became very busy with their offsprings.
Do you think they were married in a Christian church? That would be a wonderful wedding and a change of venue than Hogwarts Castle.

Last edited by muggleview : March 9th, 2005 at 8:59 am.
Old March 9th, 2005, 9:06 am
Fourth Year

Hey everyone, I was just wondering, whose on the Moonchild ship? I'd like to make a list. If you've never considered this before please read my Theodore/Luna essay in my sig. Owl me if you like the sound of it. In particular to Moonlights, if this is a ship that you want to see if your ship fails owl me as well.

Ciao bellas

Sailing like a warship with Heron, Chocolate and Moonchild! JOin us Children of the Moon! Proud supporter of the Chamber of Fairytales theory!

Love, like a river, cuts a new path whenever it meets an obstacle.

Love comforteth like sunshine after rain.

The greatest thing you'll ever learn is to love and be loved in return.

Old March 9th, 2005, 9:12 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggleview
banduraqueen,
If I correctly read, Molly used to have crush to Lockhart when she was young. Almost all girls at that time supposed to fall into his charm. But she did not stay in love with Lockhart. She got over it and then married Arthur and became very busy with their offsprings.
Do you think they were married in a Christian church? That would be a wonderful wedding and a change of venue than Hogwarts Castle.

I had the impression that Lockhart had become famous relatively recently in CoS. So the time line would be: Molly and Arthur get married - Weasley children are born - Lockhart writes books, becomes famous - Molly has crush on Lockhart. At any rate, Molly couldn't have had a crush on Lockhart when she was young, because she's older than Lockhart.

...the look of LOVE is in their eyes!

My editorial: Locations of Azkaban and Durmstrang Revealed!
(The Azkaban theory has been debunked, but the Durmstrang theory stands!)

My editorial:
Harry's Hero's Journey
Old March 9th, 2005, 9:48 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinem

YOu have to remember that Ron and Hermione are still young. They're only teenagers. How they act around each other isn't going to continue until their dying day. That's how the true relationships of 15/16 year olds begin. They tend to bicker and disagree, and tell each other to shutup, sometimes for no particular reason And also give each other random nicknames

Sailing like a warship with Heron, Chocolate and Moonchild! JOin us Children of the Moon! Proud supporter of the Chamber of Fairytales theory!

Old March 9th, 2005, 10:44 am
Sixth Year

Send a message via ICQ to SSJ_Jup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJ_Jup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJ_Jup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJ_Jup81
Okay, everyone, what are your favorite lines said by the characters of your ship to one another that you may have found cute, be it something casual or something you would consider shippy. ^_^

Old March 9th, 2005, 10:54 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ_Jup81
Okay, everyone, what are your favorite lines said by the characters of your ship to one another that you may have found cute, be it something casual or something you would consider shippy. ^_^

The Yule Brawl and the part where Hermione says to Harry in OotP "No you're not" and Ron says sharpely "How do you know?!"

And then there's a part in one of the books where Harry suggests that Hermione goes to Hogsmeade with Ron and she blushes

Go Back  CoSForums Archive > Hogwarts > Divination Studies