CoSForums ArchiveCoSForums Archive

Go Back   CoSForums Archive > Diagon Alley > Magical Masterpieces
User Name
Password

dsbs's stuff (update: Lockheart. How many of you are sick of me yet?)

Old February 26th, 2005, 10:51 pm
First Year

dsbs's stuff (update: Lockheart. How many of you are sick of me yet?)

Updated:
See last two posts (wouldn't fit on one)

*Deep breath*

Ok, I've never used artpad before now (and I don't think I will again - hand drawing is SOO very much easier!!) but I don't have a scanner either, so actual hand drawn work will have to wait.

Anyways, normally I hate showing people my art work, but since none of you know who I am, it's less frightening (if that makes sense), so here's my first artpad drawing, and please be gentle! I would love constructive criticism to help me improve (that's 90% of the reason I'm bothering to post here) but please don't be mean, this is hard enough as it is. (Also, I'm not asking for complements either - I don't want "great wonderful whatever'. But if you think it sucks, please tell me WHY.)

So here's young Harry, sad at leaving to go back to the Dursleys at the end of PS.
http://artpad.art.com/?icjgc0xieh8

Second attempt (did I say I was never going to use artpad again? I lied. But this is the last time) Ok, this one looks like an ad for earth tones and dental floss, but here goes:
http://artpad.art.com/?icjmit5ki7k

The first Cho.
http://artpad.art.com/?iclr1c116ceg

Also, I tried Bellatrix. None of these are quite right, but they're a great way to procrastinate.

http://artpad.art.com/?icjtw759foc

but with better hair:
http://artpad.art.com/?icl843qk14o

Young Ginny (I'm no shipper, but its canon in CoS):
http://artpad.art.com/?iclhnmostig

Young Ginny with background (I lost my patience - I think you can see exactly when. Artpad just takes too darn long.)

4. Beatles pics. Scroll down.

This is Cho, again. The better one
http://artpad.art.com/?icpk1i19x8a4

6. Scanned pics. Scroll down again.

7. Harry! Actually, it's the same as my very first one, but with eyebrows and ears, lol. But I don't want to take away my original first one, for sentimental reasons. Anyways, here's "new" and improved Harry:
http://artpad.art.com/?icybeaonk30

8. More scanned pics.

"Found them? In Mercia? But the coconut's tropical!"

"Somekind of happiness is measured out in miles"

Proof that practice does not, in fact, make perfect.

Proud member of the cod squad, and also any group of people whose activities involve the whacking of other people with fish.

Mr and Mrs Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much...

Last edited by dsbs : March 9th, 2005 at 7:09 am.
Old February 26th, 2005, 11:18 pm
First Year

That's very good, especially if it's your first artpad drawing. I love your use of shadow on Harry and how you make his glasses actually look like glass. Maybe (only constructive criticism) you could give a sign of Harry's ears, which should be only half covered by his hair. Overall, great job!

My Harry Potter fansite: www.freewebs.com/chenyilan
Old February 26th, 2005, 11:30 pm
First Year

heheheh. Ah yes, the ears. I kind of forgot about them when drawing, and then couldn't figure out how to erase things on artpad. Can you? Because the only thing I saw was this blob-type thing that squrted paint onto random parts of the picture.

Also, thanks a lot for the comments I've been told by agpotter that practice makes perfect, and am trying to keep that in mind, although its difficult - I just hate when things don't come out like in my head and they very rarely do.

Proud member of the cod squad, and also any group of people whose activities involve the whacking of other people with fish.

Mr and Mrs Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much...
Old February 27th, 2005, 12:50 am
First Year

Send a message via AIM to siriuslyinlove1
Unfortunately, there is no eraser tool on Artpad. There is an undo button, but if you don't notice the mistake until later then you are stuck with it.

Anyway, it was a really good! I myself do not like artpad (how am I meant to draw with a mouse?) but you did a great job, especially if it is your first time using it! The glasses look really good, as does the shading. The only thing is that Harry's head is a bit of a weird shape, but like AG said, it really does come with practice!

W00T! Its almost here! Well, kinda.
HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE!

~*Proud Member of the IWBTBIGOIASSSS*~
Proudly shipping Heron, Chocolate, Moonlight, SIGNS, and Pink Werewolf!!!
Oh yeah, and Tape too!
Old February 27th, 2005, 1:04 am
First Year

His head is a bit square, isn't it? But the mouse had slipped and that was before I noticed the undo button, so I tried to cover it up with hair. Plus, his neck's too thin, but I only saw that now, after going back to see about the shape of his head and the ears, so ah well. I tried again with Hermione, but I honestly think that'll be the last time - it's not personal with a mouse, if that makes sense. I feel a lot closer to the drawing with one hand holding a pencil and the other touching the paper.

Thanks a lot for the comments! My mouse may have slipped, but really, I always have trouble with head shapes - they end up looking like kidney beans or worse. And then there's the hands - although I used to be ok at those, I seem to have lost it completely. Male mouths are difficult, noses are impossible. Plus, I find it incredibly incredibly hard to draw without looking at something. That's the problem with HP - the characters (unless you draw from the actors) are all in your head - nothing to look at. *sigh* But yes - practice. Must try to remember.

Old February 27th, 2005, 2:32 am
First Year

Harry's neck is a bit thin and Hermione's closed eye should be a bit lower down but great job anyway! I love how you colored it(I stink at coloring)

Old February 27th, 2005, 2:44 am
Third Year

Send a message via ICQ to Evita82 Send a message via MSN to Evita82 Send a message via Yahoo to Evita82
Great work! But he seems to be missing eyebrows... though they might be there and I cant see them.

Antiquities are history defaced, or some remnants of history which have casually escaped the shipwreck ot time ~ Francis Bacon

Every language is a temple in which the soul of those who speak it is enshrined ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes

How my day went on a scale of 1 to 10: 10! No more midterms! It's lazy time...
Old February 27th, 2005, 3:37 am
First Year

Ooops. Forgot about those too. But whats worse is that I thought to myself "after you've done glasses, add eyebrows" and then completely forgot.

Also, I tried Bellatrix. None of these are quite right, but they're a great way to procrastinate.

http://artpad.art.com/?icjtw759foc

but with better hair:
http://artpad.art.com/?icl843qk14o

Young Ginny (I'm no shipper, but its canon in CoS):

Young Ginny with background (I lost my patience - I think you can see exactly when. Artpad just takes too darn long.)
Also, I'm well aware of how weird her mouth looks, but this is the most impossible thing I have ever used to draw with).

Last edited by dsbs : February 28th, 2005 at 3:10 am.
Old February 28th, 2005, 1:46 am
First Year

Err, hate to double post, but as these don't count in the post count anyway...

How do you attatch jpegs? I tried the link thing in advanced reply, but it didn't work at all. I have no idea what to do really, so if anyone could help...?

Old February 28th, 2005, 2:15 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbs
Err, hate to double post, but as these don't count in the post count anyway...

How do you attatch jpegs? I tried the link thing in advanced reply, but it didn't work at all. I have no idea what to do really, so if anyone could help...?

When you create a new post (you have to be in Advanced mode), look under Additional Options and click on Manage Attachments. Your picture has to be under a certain size limit (250 KB I think). Good luck!

"I don't go looking for trouble. Trouble usually finds me." - Harry Potter
Old February 28th, 2005, 2:28 am
First Year

[IMG]Paul.jpg[/IMG]

Edited because - it didn't work again. The image is only about 50KBs, so I don't know why...

Edited again because I figured it out. Thanks Shmink!

These are from 3 years ago - the height of my Beatles' obsession (I haven't gotten any less obsessed, I assure you, but that was as high as it's ever been.), so I already had them scanned in for a school project. I hope to get my friends to scan in some HP art soon. Also, the scanner got rid of a lot of contrast, for some reason (there used to be shading on Paul's head, I swear!!)

Aaand Cho:
http://artpad.art.com/?iclr1c116ceg
Someone should have warned me artpad was addictive!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Paul.jpg (49.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg FabFour.jpg (34.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg FabFour2.jpg (54.5 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by dsbs : February 28th, 2005 at 4:31 am.
Old March 1st, 2005, 2:00 am
First Year

I like the shading you did on the artpad Harry dsbs, and I liked what you did with the glasses, they look realistic.

The Beatles look good as well despite the flatness on that one drawing, I can understand what your talking about with the contrast disappearing, it's the one qualm I have with scanners

"There are chords in the hearts of the most reckless which cannot be touched without emotion. Even to the utterly lost, to whom life and death are equally jests, there are matters of which no jest can be made." - E.A. Poe
Old March 1st, 2005, 3:25 am
Prefect

Cool stuff!

Under da sea....
Under da sea...
I take da points from all of you houses, you mess wit me!
Wipe off you face dat silly grin, since you are not in Slytherin
Go make you potion under da ocean,
Under da sea!
Old March 2nd, 2005, 5:51 am
First Year

Ahh, thanks : )
As for the Beatles - the middle one's my favourite, even though its the first one I drew. The one of just Paul was the last one. So they kind of decrease in quality for some reason. I seem to have an inordinate amount of beginners luck, and then - nothing.

Also, updated to add another Cho one, from artpad (again). It's done only in grey scale, just for the fun of it. I actually like this one ok.

Old March 2nd, 2005, 9:47 am
Second Year

Send a message via AIM to phantomwitch
For the second one on your first post: If you draw someone winking, the lashes go on the bottom edge of the eye, not the top.

Old March 3rd, 2005, 12:43 am
First Year

yeah yeah, I know. Someone mentioned it earlier, too. It's just that artpad has no eraser, and believe it or not, I've never actually drawn anyone winking before. It's soo much easier to draw from a photograph...oh well.

Old March 3rd, 2005, 12:53 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbs
Updated:
This is Cho, again. The better one

Wow, I can't believe you did that with Artpad! The shading looks great!

Old March 5th, 2005, 12:47 am
First Year

Thanks so much, Shmink

Alright.
So that's Harry, Karkaroff and Bellatrix (who kind of turned out looking a bit like Snape but...whatever, they're both from HP)

And that's cartoon Harry (hey, I tried), simpsons James and Lily (don't ask), and Nagini, Voldy's snake. He looked a lot better before the scanner got a hold of him.
(People, remember - basilisks come from a chicken hatched under a toad, and while I know it doesn't say anywhere what type of snake Nagini is, that's what I had in mind when I drew him. So he's sort of bird-like, as well as reptilian.)

Feedback's always welcome
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Harry.jpg (34.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Karkaroff.jpg (40.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Bellatrix.jpg (26.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Harry2.jpg (23.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg n Lily.jpg (15.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Nagini.jpg (30.3 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by dsbs : March 5th, 2005 at 3:21 am.
Old March 5th, 2005, 3:51 am
Second Year

I do like your Nagini, I always saw her as sort of birdlike ( the phoenix and the snake) so I think you are right on the button there. Your Bellatrix, (yes I do see a bit of Snape there) is interesting, it has a great gothic quality with the elongation of the face and the simple black and white colour.Her eyelashed are a bit bizzare, almost like dried flower petals, a nice comment on her fadad beauty. and your Simpson's sketch made me giggle.very funny.

SNAPE IS MY MASTER
Old March 5th, 2005, 7:15 am
Second Year

Congrats on getting a scanner! Those drawings are great! I love the one of Harry in Dudley's baggy clothes, and the Simpsons-looking one of James and Lily is really cute, and your style is really unique and dramatic in that one of Bellatrix.

Old March 5th, 2005, 9:04 am
First Year

Thanks again sharpie and shmink!

I was trying for something a little unusual on Bella's eyelashes. It looks a bit weird, but ah well. And Nagini was the first HP art I ever drew, and my favourite. Faces, though....ugh. Can NOT do them without a picture, or they end up looking like as you can see above.

Shmink, I'm pretty sure I said this in your thread, but I really like your signature - not bored of it yet! I just can't believe some of the stuff you people manage to do with the computer.

Sharpie, I swear I didn't really take note till now, but my that's a pretty signature.

Anyways, I just wanted to update (again. yes, I love the scanner) because I'm sick and therefore have had the opportunity to follow my inclination to try and draw James. It looks a bit wonky, but if you squint... oh well.
*reminds self* practice practice practice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg James.jpg (23.0 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by dsbs : March 5th, 2005 at 9:17 am.
Old March 5th, 2005, 9:17 am
Second Year

Ha, I just changed my sig about half an hour ago.... so its no wonder you hadn't noticed

as for faces, yeah I have troubles there too, they often look like poor attempts at animation ( sorry ag, illustative technique )
practice certainly helps
and "creature" like Nagini- I'm hopeless, always look like cuddly dogs with scales when I try

SNAPE IS MY MASTER
Old March 5th, 2005, 9:21 am
First Year

Ha, yeah, every time I draw a nose it ends up looking like a dog. Every. Single. Time. Dog-dragon, dog-horse, dog-cat, dog-snake (that was one artpad I did not post), I swear I could even make a dog-bird.

And that's what I meant - I noticed the new one because it's so much bigger than the old one. The thing I have (surprisingly, I know) never taken note of before was the alan rickman-ness. Wow.

Edited cause I'm bored and I'm very very much enjoying the scanner:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Harry4.jpg (17.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Harry3.jpg (43.3 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by dsbs : March 5th, 2005 at 10:54 am.
Old March 6th, 2005, 10:55 pm
Second Year

You area actually quite skilled at that artpad thing.

A smoke cloud billowed up in front of them. When it cleared, Harry and Ron saw six people standing beside Dumbledore: Hermione, Ginny, Sirius, Remus, Hagrid, and a random Hufflepuff boy we will call Tim. - Snippets fom the Potterverse

The 'Ellie known as Nelly~*~One of the Fourteen Random Chicks along with Shelly, Skelly, Celly, Belly, Relly, Elly, Zelly, Felly, Delly, Pelly, Chelly, Lelly and our newest member: Helly!~*~ Guess who we all are and win a prize!
Old March 7th, 2005, 10:24 pm
First Year

Hey, thanks

And, in honour of my 42nd day as a member (anyone who's read Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy knows why that's special), here's a small update. I haven't had time to clean them up, and crayola has a very limiting colour choice, but here 'tis:

EDIT:
Oh. My. Gosh. HOW do you people do this? I have spent the last two hours colouring Fluer, haven't even gotten to the other two pics yet. It takes forever, and it's STILL cruddy. I am in eternal admiration to you people who do your colouring on the computer. If there is some short cut I am missing, PLEASE, I beg you, share it because this takes too too much time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Neville.jpg (150.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Fluer.jpg (191.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Trio.jpg (61.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Fluer2.jpg (99.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Neville2.jpg (63.5 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by dsbs : March 8th, 2005 at 6:01 am.
Old March 8th, 2005, 7:24 am
First Year

Sorry for the double post, but it's in the hopes that this and the one above it will merge, like last time. Only 5 files are allowed to be uploaded and I have a sixth, so here goes.
Coloured Trio:

(Edited because: no such luck. Ah well. The trio deserve their own post.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trio2.jpg (76.2 KB, 5 views)

Old March 8th, 2005, 4:10 pm
Second Year

Those are incredible! I think that's the most creative thing I've seen on here! The coloring looks awesome, too (I know, it takes forever). I'd like to see some more dog characters!

Old March 9th, 2005, 7:08 am
First Year

Ack! Compliments. I'm so bad with them, I never know how to respond, but thanks a lot, it means a lot (happy happy dsbs)

My favourite is Fluer. I wish she was the last I drew, but nope, the first. They got progressively worse from there. Ah well.
More dogs are on the way, but I haven't had any realy thoughts for anyone yet (although I have some of an idea for Cho and Bellatrix and Dumbledore, but they're not very well thought out yet. And Dumbledore's gotta be good.)

But I did manage a Lockheart sketch, which I actually quite like. For the longest time I had this image of a huge smile and a crooked nose, which I knew was Lockheart, but I just couldn't see all of him. So finally it's on paper. Not exactly as I imagined, but then, it never is...
Anyways, I'll colour it soon, but first - sleep!

As usual, feedbacks and comments are welcome (even pleaded for :P ), and by all means yell at me if the ears crooked or what not 'cause I don't always see it 'till it's pointed out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lockheart2.jpg (90.7 KB, 1 views)

Go Back  CoSForums Archive > Diagon Alley > Magical Masterpieces