CoSForums ArchiveCoSForums Archive

Go Back   CoSForums Archive > Hogwarts > Muggle Studies
User Name
Password

Book to Film: adapting OotP

Old March 2nd, 2005, 10:07 pm
First Year

What you are saying here makes sense, but I hope they can keep Kreacher in. I don't think his scenes would take up much time, as he is in a sense part of the scenery in 12 Grimmauld Place. On the other hand, I am re-reading Goblet of Fire at the moment and the house elves have quite a large part to play in the book, which makes me wonder if Kreacher will be out. I guess we'll have to wait till next year sometime to find out ...

If I was going to do it without Kreacher, I would have Harry, Hermione and Ron all try to go to the MoM by floo powder - it makes sense that the three of them would be together. Neville, Ginny and Luna could be lookouts for them, and be caught by Umbridge and her Squad.

One problem I see with this scenario though is that it would take a lot less time for them to travel by Floo powder than it would to talk to someone in the fire. Umbridge and co. would have to be right behind them, or they would be gone already. Maybe Malfoy and some of his mates could be watching them and follow them straight away. The three lookouts could be caught trying to warn Harry and the others, and Umbridge could come bustling into the office to find the six already being restrained by the Slytherins. There would also have to be some delay in finding the Floo powder.

Old March 3rd, 2005, 1:58 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by catkin
On the other hand, I am re-reading Goblet of Fire at the moment and the house elves have quite a large part to play in the book,…

I think that a better way to state it is that they take up a large part of the book (or at least a sizable one). However, they play a very small role. Winky makes us suspicious of Bagman. However, Bagman is cut from the movie, so that is not needed. Dobby puts Harry onto Gillweed. However, Neville can do that.

The rest are important for SPEW, but SPEW does not contribute to the GoF story.

Quote:
One problem I see with this scenario though is that it would take a lot less time for them to travel by Floo powder than it would to talk to someone in the fire. Umbridge and co. would have to be right behind them, or they would be gone already. Maybe Malfoy and some of his mates could be watching them and follow them straight away.

Alternatively, have Malfoy and goons waiting for them in Umbridge's office. Malfoy simply says “You didn't think the headmaster would be foolish enough to leave her office unguarded" (which more or less paraphrases Umbridge’s line in the book). Then break to Fred & George cornered & bidding adieu (that scene is sufficiently funny that it would be nice to include it), have a Slytherin from the office run up to Umbridge, then have Umbridge & a mass of Slytherins march in with Ginny, Neville & Luna as captives.

Old March 3rd, 2005, 3:24 am
First Year

[quote=Wimsey]Alternatively, have Malfoy and goons waiting for them in Umbridge's office. Malfoy simply says “You didn't think the headmaster would be foolish enough to leave her office unguarded" (which more or less paraphrases Umbridge’s line in the book). Then break to Fred & George cornered & bidding adieu (that scene is sufficiently funny that it would be nice to include it), have a Slytherin from the office run up to Umbridge, then have Umbridge & a mass of Slytherins march in with Ginny, Neville & Luna as captives.[quote]

Yes, that would be really good! Now, thinking about how the scene in the office should play out ...

I think Snape should come in, at least long enough for Harry to let him know in a coded-but-obvious-to-the-audience way what is going on. That way it isn't going to seem like a plot hole when the Order members turn up at the Ministry; when they arrive, or later, someone can tell Harry that Snape alerted them. I would have Umbridge bring Snape with her when she comes into the office, and have him refuse to help any of them.

I don't know if Umbridge needs to confess that she sent the dementors after Harry. It added a nice twist to the book, but in the movie we will already know that the dementors are out of control, from the escape of the death eaters. We don't really need to know who sent the dementors.

I would put Umbridge's Cruciatus threat and Hermione's fake confession. I'd also like to see the others overpower the Slytherins, the only problem I see with this is that the movies so far have only shown scenes that Harry is a part of, or close enough to to see or hear what is going on.

Old March 3rd, 2005, 4:05 am
Second Year

Send a message via AIM to dawningoftime Send a message via MSN to dawningoftime Send a message via Yahoo to dawningoftime
I think that she should mention the dementors because it just adds to her nastiness and not everyone has read the books.

I'm
a Gryffindor!

Member of the Hogwarts String Orchestra
Old March 3rd, 2005, 4:56 am
First Year

Yes, it does. But then, they cut the explanation about the Marauders out of PoA and that seemed to be pretty important.

Old March 3rd, 2005, 5:01 am
Third Year

Quote:
I think Snape should come in, at least long enough for Harry to let him know in a coded-but-obvious-to-the-audience way what is going on. That way it isn't going to seem like a plot hole when the Order members turn up at the Ministry; when they arrive, or later, someone can tell Harry that Snape alerted them. I would have Umbridge bring Snape with her when she comes into the office, and have him refuse to help any of them.

I agree, have Snape turn up quickly. Have her immediately demand truth serum, have him say that he already gave it all to her, and that it will take a month to prepare. She dimisses him, and Harry shouts to Snape. Snape shows NO sign of catching the point.

Quote:
I don't know if Umbridge needs to confess that she sent the dementors after Harry. It added a nice twist to the book, but in the movie we will already know that the dementors are out of control, from the escape of the death eaters. We don't really need to know who sent the dementors.

I agree. That can be cut.

Quote:
I would put Umbridge's Cruciatus threat and Hermione's fake confession.

I would, too. Then have Hermione cough Grawp as she and Harry are led out, and show Ron catching the point.

Quote:
I'd also like to see the others overpower the Slytherins, the only problem I see with this is that the movies so far have only shown scenes that Harry is a part of, or close enough to to see or hear what is going on.

In that, the movies follow the book. We never read about anything unless Harry is in the room, with the exception of the opening chapter of P/SS.

Old March 3rd, 2005, 2:33 pm
First Year

I really wouldn't want to lose Kreacher. Thinning the narrative out is one thing; losing all the richness is another.

Can we lose the centaurs but keep Grawp? Does that open up any plotholes?

Old March 3rd, 2005, 4:12 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen_Beruth
I really wouldn't want to lose Kreacher. Thinning the narrative out is one thing; losing all the richness is another.

If Kreacher can be kept, then keep him. However, my thought is that one should plan alternative plot-elements so that one plot-element can be shaved without introducing plot holes.

Quote:
Can we lose the centaurs but keep Grawp? Does that open up any plotholes?

None that I can see. Centaurs serve as a plot element for eliminating Umbridge. They are a nice reminder of the wizards’ overesteem of themselves, but, then, the Centaurs hardly are any better than Umbridge in this regard. Indeed, I would worry that portraying a persecuted group as such a bunch of arrogant jerks would hurt sympathy for the general message.

From a practical standpoint, one giant would be a heck of a lot easier to put on screen than a bunch of centaurs.

Old March 3rd, 2005, 7:23 pm
Second Year

Quote:
If I was going to do it without Kreacher, I would have Harry, Hermione and Ron all try to go to the MoM by floo powder - it makes sense that the three of them would be together. Neville, Ginny and Luna could be lookouts for them, and be caught by Umbridge and her Squad.

One problem I see with this scenario though is that it would take a lot less time for them to travel by Floo powder than it would to talk to someone in the fire. Umbridge and co. would have to be right behind them, or they would be gone already. Maybe Malfoy and some of his mates could be watching them and follow them straight away. The three lookouts could be caught trying to warn Harry and the others, and Umbridge could come bustling into the office to find the six already being restrained by the Slytherins. There would also have to be some delay in finding the Floo powder.
How about this alternative: Harry, Hermione, Ron go into Umbridge's office to check on Sirius as in the book, with Neville, Ginny & Luna as the lookouts. Harry calls for him in the fire, but doesn't get a response & starts to step completely into the fire. Commotion behind him as he is pulled out by Ron & sees Umbridge & squad have captured everyone. (I just can't picture Umbridge allowing even her Inquisitorial Squad into her office without her there.) This would take a little more time than having Malfoy et al. in the office to begin with but not too much time. Then continue on as mentioned with Snape, forest, Grawp, etc.

I agree that Grawp is a much more efficient way to dispose of Umbridge. Leave out the centaurs, even the apparently dreamy Firenze! If the other centaurs don't do the job of getting rid of Umbridge, there's no point in showing them, and if you don't show them, there's no point in mentioning Firenze getting the boot from the herd, thus he doesn't need a job.

I don't have the books here right now to check so I don't know if this even makes sense! Feel free to correct me & any plotholes I may have opened.

WEE!
Qui suis - je?
Old March 3rd, 2005, 9:00 pm
First Year

I agree that it would be better to lose the centaurs. I think they would make the final section of the movie too busy, after all the kids have just been in a fight in Umbridge's office, they're going to have a major battle in the MoM, not to mention Harry's duel with Bellatrix and Dumbledore's duel with Voldemort.

Grawp was pretty scary after Harry and Hermione first met him. I think after the kids first meet him, Hagrid would have to reassure them that he's not as bad as he seems (which he does in the book anyway). It still seems like a risky plan, heading off to a giant who could kill them all (Hermione didn't see the centaurs as a danger to anyone but Umbridge), so Hermione would need to make some comment to Harry about her thought process. Maybe something about trusting Hagrid, or that it seems like the only way ...?

I definitely don't think Firenze is needed for this movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Beruth

I would much prefer to keep Kreacher too. I think some of our comments above have shown that it can be done without him, but he should stay in if at all possible. I'd like to see the house elf heads on the wall at 12 Grimmauld Place too, a nice little reference back to the shrunken heads in PoA maybe?!

I think Dobby will be out though, Fred and George could tell Harry about the Room of Requirement, after all they have been in it before, even if they didn't know what it was.

It's a bit of a departure from the book, but maybe Cho could inadvertently betray them all to Umbridge? I'm going on the assumption that they are going to keep her in, and include Harry's first kiss and maybe the date. The way the little romance between Cho and Harry ends would have to be resolved a bit more clearly in the movie than in the books though. I think the way JKR handles it in the book is quite realistic, but it wouldn't fit with the conventions of romantic sub-plots in movies. It would probably be quite easy for Cho to let the time of the next meeting slip to the wrong person, or to lose the plot and confess to Umbridge ... and it would make it quite clear to the audience why she's out of the picture by the end of the movie.

Old March 3rd, 2005, 11:44 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Grawp was pretty scary after Harry and Hermione first met him. I think after the kids first meet him, Hagrid would have to reassure them that he's not as bad as he seems (which he does in the book anyway). It still seems like a risky plan, heading off to a giant who could kill them all (Hermione didn't see the centaurs as a danger to anyone but Umbridge), so Hermione would need to make some comment to Harry about her thought process. Maybe something about trusting Hagrid, or that it seems like the only way ...?

Grawp learns Hermione's name. So, they can just have him say “HERMY” and then knock her over trying to shake her hand or pat her. Hagrid can explain that is what he's doing - just trying to be friendly, while the trio look thoroughly aghast.

Quote:
It's a bit of a departure from the book, but maybe Cho could inadvertently betray them all to Umbridge? I'm going on the assumption that they are going to keep her in, and include Harry's first kiss and maybe the date.

Hmm, there is also the old saying “hell hath no fury…” Perhaps she can betray them out of spite for Harry. It would still more of a departure, but it might be believable.

Old March 4th, 2005, 9:30 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimsey
Hmm, there is also the old saying “hell hath no fury…” Perhaps she can betray them out of spite for Harry. It would be still more of a departure, but it might be believable.

I was thinking the same thing, then thought naah, they wouldn't change things that much. It could work though ...

Old March 5th, 2005, 12:47 pm
First Year

Either Cho - or nobody! Umbridge could be shown lurking in the corridors, also her goons, then either some-one bursts into the DA group and shouts that she is coming, or her hand descends on Harry's shoulder as he leaves the room. If Umbridge is shown as controlling everything at Hogwarts - frisking the owls, banning meetings, etc. - then there is no real need to show how she has rumbled the DA. The effect will be enough.

Which leads me on to start a parallel discussion about cinematic techniques, as opposed to scripting.

Seems to me that the biggest challenge in filming OotP will be showing Harry's dreams/visions and the mind games being played by Voldy. This is not something a scriptwriter can really get a handle on: it's the director's job, aided by his DP and his design and visual people.

I'll flag up an example.

How do we show that Harry is inside Voldy's head and that V is a snake? Telling, using words, is not good enough. Film must show.

Design is one aspect, with the use of the snake/serpent motif used by the Slyths and also at Grimmauld Place. Also we could use tracking shots to follow through Harry's visions. This could start at the Ministry. Immediately after the trial, Arthur conducts Harry through the Ministry corridors. At one point we could have Arthur branch to the right and Harry remain staring down another corridor, ending in a door. We could bleach out the colour completely, or use a particular colour palette (say, blue/grey) and kill the sound, or heighten it. The effect would be to present Harry on the edge of a waking dream. When Arthur speaks to him, he could start as if jerked back to reality.

Then, his later visions would use the same stylistic tools to take us down the corridor and right up to, and eventually through, the door.

When Arthur is attacked we could use this format again but this time have the wall behind Arthur so smooth and metallic that it acts as a mirror, and through that we see the snake just as it attacks. The camera, of course, would present the scene through the snake's point of view.

Old March 5th, 2005, 5:08 pm
Third Year

Quote:
How do we show that Harry is inside Voldy's head and that V is a snake? Telling, using words, is not good enough. Film must show.

Design is one aspect, with the use of the snake/serpent motif used by the Slyths and also at Grimmauld Place. Also we could use tracking shots to follow through Harry's visions. This could start at the Ministry. Immediately after the trial, Arthur conducts Harry through the Ministry corridors. At one point we could have Arthur branch to the right and Harry remain staring down another corridor, ending in a door. We could bleach out the colour completely, or use a particular colour palette (say, blue/grey) and kill the sound, or heighten it. The effect would be to present Harry on the edge of a waking dream. When Arthur speaks to him, he could start as if jerked back to reality.

One way to augment this would be to show the scene both from Harry/Voldemort’s perspective (i.e., inside the snake), and then break away to a third person view, which would alternatively show the snake and Harry.

The Harry/Voldemort view actually could be done because of one very useful feature of snakes: they are constantly flicking their tongues smelling the air around them. (Well, actually tasting - but taste and smell are the same sense.) So, the camera could show the periodically flicking forked tongue, then cut to showing a snake approaching (say) a door or Mr. Weasley, back to flicking tongue, then to Harry reaching for the door.

I would experiment with intersplicing both the snake and Harry striking an unknown figure, then having the figure drop and revealed as Mr. Weasley, and then having Harry wake with a start and a yell.

But you are absolutely right about the dreams. These will really make or break the movie. They also will be the key narrative device for clueing the audience in to what is happening.

Old March 5th, 2005, 7:30 pm
First Year

For anyone who is interested.....i have begun an adaptation of OotP, the first twelve pages of which is up in the other thread on here: OotP Script.......so, if you have time, i'd love to hear what you all think.........thanks

"Well...when we were in our first year, Harry--young, carefree, and innocent--"
Harry snorted. He doubted whether Fred and George had ever been innocent.

(Harry just been greeted by Percy...) "Harry!" said Fred, elbowing Percy out of the way and bowing deeply. "Simply splendid to see you, old boy-" "Marvelous," said George, pushing Fred aside and seizing Harry's hand in turn. "Absolutely spiffing." Percy scowled. "That's enough, now," said Mrs. Weasley. "Mum!" said Fred as though he'd only just spotted her and seized her hand too. "How really corking to see you-"
Old March 6th, 2005, 5:11 am
First Year

My understanding of the dreams/visions is that the earlier ones involve Harry unintentionally entering into Voldemort's mind, and the rest have been placed in Harry's mind by Voldemort. If the movie is to cue the audience in to what is happening, I think a subtle distinction needs to be made between the different types of dream.

The same stylistic tools like colour, sound, tracking shots etc could be used in all the dreams, but possibly more emphasis could be placed on Harry-as-snake in the earlier visions??

The scene with Dumbledore and Harry after the attack on Arthur should show that Voldemort is entering further into Harry's mind, and indicate why Dumbledore is keeping his distance from Harry. Maybe in that instant when Dumbledore's and Harry's eyes meet the colour etc could change suddenly to that which is used for the visions. Possibly Harry could catch a glimpse of his reflection and see Voldemort's eyes instead of his own?

Old March 6th, 2005, 7:46 am
Third Year

Quote:
The scene with Dumbledore and Harry after the attack on Arthur should show that Voldemort is entering further into Harry's mind, and indicate why Dumbledore is keeping his distance from Harry. Maybe in that instant when Dumbledore's and Harry's eyes meet the colour etc could change suddenly to that which is used for the visions. Possibly Harry could catch a glimpse of his reflection and see Voldemort's eyes instead of his own?

There is one sequence where Harry looks inside a mirror and sees Voldemort's face. That could be done for one of them. Show Harry in the room, but have the reflection be Voldemort.

Also, I do not think that there should be a visual tip-off that the final dream is planted by Voldemort. Harry does not realize this, after all, which suggests that there was nothing really different about that vision relative to the others.

Old March 7th, 2005, 12:13 am
First Year

Quote:
My understanding of the dreams/visions is that the earlier ones involve Harry unintentionally entering into Voldemort's mind, and the rest have been placed in Harry's mind by Voldemort. If the movie is to cue the audience in to what is happening, I think a subtle distinction needs to be made between the different types of dream.

I'm inclined to agree, because I think the alternative - see Wimsey's last post - might confuse the audience. Remember that Hermione gives Harry a strong verbal warning that this last vision may be false, but he ignores it.

However, I have thought of another scenario altogether and want to run it past you folks. In this we would move completely away from the usual Harry-subjective point of view of JKR. This is how it might play out:

Harry communicates with Kreacher in the fire and is whisked away by Umbridge.

Sirius enters the kitchen just in time to catch a glimpse of Harry. He questions Kreacher and gleans enough to make him fear for Harry.

Back to the DA kids tricking Umbridge. Now do we keep Snape in play or lose him altogether? If we keep him, he leaves the room and we see his tense expression outside the door. Low angled shot as he sweeps around a corner, followed by a match cut of Sirius - same shot - barking out to his lieutenants that Harry is walking into a trap. Operation Rescue Harry springs into action.

The kids walk Umbridge to the FF and deliver her to the tender mercies of Grawp. No centaurs. Kids leave from the FF by thestral/broom/any **** thing. Operation Rescue Sirius is now in motion.

We stick with Harry from then on until Sirius bursts in to the DoM.

OK, so we lose surprise, but we gain suspence. It's will-the-cavalry-get-there-in-time stuff. Done well, it can be very exciting. Think Ripley rushing to get to Newt before the critter does in Aliens.

It removes the need for Dumbledore's lengthy exposition after Sirius' death too. He and Harry can still talk, but can focus on emotional matters rather than wasting time on a visit to the Department of Backstory.

Old March 7th, 2005, 1:58 am
First Year

Quote:
Sirius enters the kitchen just in time to catch a glimpse of Harry. He questions Kreacher and gleans enough to make him fear for Harry.

The only problem I see with this scenario is that if Sirius realised that quickly that Harry was going to walk into a trap, he would put his head into Umbridge's fire and shout out a warning, no matter how big a risk that was.

I agree though that showing rather than telling why the Order ended up at the Ministry would be good. Dumbledore has enough to tell Harry afterwards. Possibly we could do something like this:
Umbridge pulls Harry out of the fire
Shot of Kreacher backing away from the fire laughing evilly
Shot of Snape rushing into his office, looking tense, pulling out the means to communicate with Sirius (whatever that may be):
Quote:
followed by a match cut of Sirius - same shot - barking out to his lieutenants that Harry is walking into a trap. Operation Rescue Harry springs into action.

But which would make for a better movie-watching experience: believing that Harry and co. are on Operation Rescue Sirius, the shock value of realising Harry has been tricked, and the surprise of the Order arriving to save him; or realising that Harry is walking into a trap, waiting for the trap to spring, then the suspense of wondering when/if Harry's rescuers will arrive. Either way could be good.

Old March 8th, 2005, 1:51 pm
First Year

Quote:

But which would make for a better movie-watching experience: believing that Harry and co. are on Operation Rescue Sirius, the shock value of realising Harry has been tricked, and the surprise of the Order arriving to save him; or realising that Harry is walking into a trap, waiting for the trap to spring, then the suspense of wondering when/if Harry's rescuers will arrive. Either way could be good.

I prefer the first one. Firstly because I think it'd be more dramatic. If we know Harry's walking into a trap, half the surprise is gone, and it won't be so effective when the Death Eaters suddenly appear in the DoM. Though on the other hand the second version could create an agonising kind of suspense.

My other reason is that, if I was watching the film, I might wonder why it took Sirius so long to get to the DoM when he knew Harry was going there before Harry even left Hogwarts.

Old March 8th, 2005, 3:43 pm
First Year

Quote:
OK, so we lose surprise, but we gain suspence. It's will-the-cavalry-get-there-in-time stuff. Done well, it can be very exciting.

I think we should think about it as a conceptual decition, not only as the effect it would produce on the audience (suspense or surprise). It deppends on the point of view from which the movie is developed, it depends on what camera angles are used, if it is intimate or not, if it keeps on harry or not. From what has been said so far (the trial and all the ulterior developing) it is focused on harry. If it is like that I believe we should go on the surprise choice, on acount of the fact that we will experience what harry does.

On the other hand, if we step outside from harry's side, your idea would be interesting for giving the audience pieces of information that the characters don't have. That is the art of cinema.

Old March 8th, 2005, 4:50 pm
First Year

I agree that either way would work in film terms.

Just to tackle the problems in my scenario: there has to be a gap between Umbridge dragging Harry away and Sirius sussing the situation, otherwise his behaviour will not be in character. So:

Umbridge drags Harry out of fire.
Kreacher shuffles out of kitchen, looking as near to happy as he can.
Cut to Harry as Hermione goes into her damsel in distress act. The party leave for the Forest.
Back to Kreacher, now standing in front of portrait of Mrs. Black, talking to it, telling her that the blood traitors will soon get what they deserve. Sirius appears, overhears and questions him. Either Sirius extracts the information forcibly, or Kreacher volunteers the info and taunts him.
Sirius starts running.
Umbridge and kids arrive in Forest.

The alternative – closer to the book’s narrative method – would work and would retain the surprise factor, but would need exposition after the event. Kreacher’s role would have to be clarified: told rather than shown.

---------------------------------------------------------------

OK, we need to get our metaphors in. This ain’t no dumb Bruce Willis flick.

Ideas for foreshadowing the veil:

Design of the other portals – door to the DoM, door to Grimmauld Place – to visually echo the design of the arch in the DoM.
Sirius, in dog form, framed in the doorway as Harry arrives at G Place after the trial.
Again, as himself, as Harry leaves for the last time after Xmas.
Sirius’ robes to become progressively more diaphanous and tattered as the film goes on so that they resemble the veil as he falls through it.
Furniture in the upper rooms of G Place covered to look shroud-like.
G Place’s “fading” to be done as a dissolve seen from Harry’s point of view when he leaves it. Similar dissolve when Sirius falls.

Old March 8th, 2005, 5:25 pm
First Year

Interesting foreshadowing! That'd be pretty cool!

Last edited by TheSnidget : March 8th, 2005 at 5:25 pm. Reason: typo
Old March 9th, 2005, 12:07 am
First Year

Quote:
Umbridge drags Harry out of fire.
Kreacher shuffles out of kitchen, looking as near to happy as he can.
Cut to Harry as Hermione goes into her damsel in distress act. The party leave for the Forest.
Back to Kreacher, now standing in front of portrait of Mrs. Black, talking to it, telling her that the blood traitors will soon get what they deserve. Sirius appears, overhears and questions him. Either Sirius extracts the information forcibly, or Kreacher volunteers the info and taunts him.
Sirius starts running.
Umbridge and kids arrive in Forest.

I think this would resolve any difficulties perfectly well. I might even prefer this way a bit to the book-narrative surprise version. Seeing Kreacher betray Sirius and the kids would have more impact than hearing Dumbledore explain it later. Also, love your ideas for foreshadowing the veil!

Old March 9th, 2005, 2:29 am
Third Year

Actually, I would go in the opposite direction. That is, try to make the audience even more sure that what Harry is seeing is real.

For example, Harry could link with Voldemort in dream when the DE's escape. He could wake with a start knowing that they are free, and then see the escapes in the paper the next day. (Perhaps a quick vision of Bellatrix in that dream would be helpful, just to emphasize her face.)

I think that the suspense of wondering if Harry will be in time to save Sirius is too useful to lose. It will make the audience think that perhaps this will be the climax - which it will be, but not in the way that they expect.

QB's ideas about visual motifs linking the Veil to Sirius are good.

Old March 9th, 2005, 4:01 am
Second Year

I agree with Wimsey on this one. It seems a little weird to have the whole movie (as all previous movies thus far) be told only from Harry's perspective, then to switch so close to the end.

WEE!
Qui suis - je?
Old March 9th, 2005, 9:10 am
Third Year

Quote:
This thread is aimed at those who are interested in book-film adaptations which aim to produce a real film, not just a staged reading of the book with a few special effects.

I would start a film of OotP with the hearing at the Ministry, for the following reasons:

• It would ruthlessly cut into the obese book narrative – 120 pages gone. Just like that. The few importance points in that first section of the book can be conveyed in flashback (the attack on Dudley) and incorporated in one carefully crafted dollop of exposition (Sirius’ family history and connections).

• There would be great shock value in starting off by showing a child on trial. All the elements of film-making: set design, shot composition, lighting, sound, acting, etc. could all be used to demonstrate this ominous situation and Harry’s isolation. As the questioning proceeds the Dementors’ attack on Dudley can be shown in flashback. The only real problem might be a too-passive Harry: what I call Victim Frodo Syndrome. But a shrewd director should be able to avoid this.

• Cut the number of Interrogators to two: just Fudge and Umbridge. The series has not done particularly well with face villains so far: Draco in particular is all mouth and no trousers. But Umbridge is the real deal. What a cow! Handled well, she should be a screen villainess to rival Nurse Ratched or Mrs Danvers. Or Cruella De Ville. Our intro to her should be awesome: we should hate her guts. A slight campiness would not be out of order, so long as she is presented as a real threat to Harry. She should dominate the “trial” and Fudge and Percy should toady to her.

• A brief linking scene at the end of the trial – with no more than a sentence of dialogue - would show Mr. Weasley’s relief as he meets Harry. Both are ignored by the trial attendees as they file out. All adults are now established as hostile (Umbridge), ineffective (Mr. Weasley) or remote (Dumbledore).

• Cut straight to Grimmauld Place for a celebratory scene. Complete change of tone. The twins provide comic relief. All the kids bond against their disappointing elders. A prop – the Extendable Ears – can be used both for humour and to demonstrate how the youngsters are being kept in the dark.

I agree with this....

Quote:
The elder Dursleys? Cut. Not important.

The howler? Cut. Not important.

Madam Bones? The rescue from Privet Drive? Angry Harry shouting at Ron and Hermione? Sweep it all away.

Exposition next: tough cookie but do-able.

Comments so far?

I think, this would be a little bit important for the comical scene of the movie...

My prince... an Oscar smile... Orlando Bloom

A proud Ron/ Hermione shipper
You should have died! Died rather than betray your friends, as we would have done for you!
-Sirius Black

What about side by side with a friend?
-Legolas (Orlando Bloom) in Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

Go Back  CoSForums Archive > Hogwarts > Muggle Studies