CoSForums ArchiveCoSForums Archive

Go Back   CoSForums Archive > Hogwarts > History of Magic
User Name
Password

Did Dumbledore Really Leave Baby Harry Alone on the Dursley's Doorstep?

Old March 8th, 2005, 11:39 pm
Fourth Year

Did Dumbledore Really Leave Baby Harry Alone on the Dursley's Doorstep?

Did Dumbledore really leave baby Harry alone on the Dursley's doorstep?

In SS, Dumbledore delivered Harry to the Dursley's doorstep the night after Lily and James were killed. He left Harry there, alone, until Aunt Petunia opened the door the next morning to put out the milk bottles - or did he?

Why would Dumbledore leave baby Harry alone, on the Dursley's doorstep, in the middle of the night, when he feared for Harry's safety?

The charm Dumbledore placed on Harry did not go into effect until Aunt Petunia accepted Harry into her home, so from the time Harry was placed on the doorstep, until Aunt Petunia retrieved him the next morning, Harry had no protection.

The book said, "Dumbledore turned and walked back down the street. On the corner he stopped and took out the silver Put-Outer. He clicked it once, and twelve balls of light sped back to their street lamps so that Privet Drive glowed suddenly orange and he could make out a tabby cat slinking around the corner at the other end of the street. He could just see the bundle of blankets on the step of number four.
"Good luck, Harry," he murmured. He turned on his heel and with a swish of his cloak, he was gone." (SS, pg 16)

The question is, did Dumbledore actually leave Harry on the doorstep all night, alone? Could it be that he stayed behind, hidden, to make sure that Aunt Petunia accepted Harry into her home and activated the charm he'd placed on Harry?

Happy Birthday to David Thewlis, AKA Moony, March 20th, and Gary Oldman, AKA Padfoot, March 21st!!!

"What did I care if numbers of nameless and faceless people and creatures were slaughtered in the vague future, if in the here and now you were alive, and well, and happy?"----- Albus Dumbledore

Once again you put your keen and penetrating mind to the task, and as usual, come to the wrong conclusion!

THE ONE WITH THE POWER TO VANQUISH THE DARK LORD APPROACHES...
Old March 8th, 2005, 11:52 pm
First Year

Hmmmm, that is a good observation. It makes me wonder if maybe they (Dumbledore and Petunia) discussed prior to that night the possibility of Harry losing his parents since they were in danger. Maybe they agreed for her to take him before he left Harry on the doorstep. Either way, that doesn't matter, because after such a horrific event why would Dumbledore just leave him alone and walk away? Good question. I think maybe someone was watching. Possibly Mrs. Figg? Dumbledore did say in OotP that he has kept a close eye on Harry or something to that effect, I don't have my book with me. I find it hard to believe that Dumbledore would leave Harry alone from that moment until he was accepted into Hogwarts. Surely someone, other than Mrs. Figg, was keeping an eye on the events at the Dursley's and the surrounding area, especially while Harry was at school. Hmmm...

"If people knew how hard I worked to get my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." - Michelangelo Buonarroti

member of the big squishy hugs for lupin society and the cod squad

Remus Survives!
Old March 9th, 2005, 12:00 am
First Year

Send a message via AIM to GryffondorGrl Send a message via Yahoo to GryffondorGrl
Good question. I believe Dumbledore did leave, but that doesn't seem like him however all evidence points that way. Perhaps he had Order members watching, like Mrs. Figg, or Petunia might have known if she had some magical connection. I think Dumbledore would not just hope Petunia would take him, they must have had some contact before. Also, it seems against anything Dumbledore would do, he said in Book 5 that after Voldemort was vanquished Harry was in more danger than anyone could have expected. So leave him on a doorstep on some Muggle home? Obviously Voldie couldnt get him, but I'm sure a Death Eater could. I wonder what really happened. Maybe Dumbledore rang the doorbell and Petunia got him right away and not until the milk man came.

"When we were in our first year Harry young, carefree, and innocent..." -Fred Weasley

I'm a Gryffondor!
Old March 9th, 2005, 12:03 am
First Year

Wasn't McGonagall there (as a cat)?

Old March 9th, 2005, 12:08 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP26
Wasn't McGonagall there (as a cat)?

No, she didn't stay - read the quote above.

Also, in OotP "But she took you," Dumbledore cut across him. "She may have taken you grudgingly, furiously, unwillingly, bitterly, yet still she took you, and in doing so, she sealed the charm I placed upon you." (OotP, pg. 836)

This shows that the charm did not kick in until Petunia took Harry off the porch and accepted him into her home. Also, how would Dumbledore know what frame of mind Aunt Petunia was in when she took Harry off the doorstep if he wasn't there, maybe invisible? According to his recount of the situation to Harry, she was quiet upset.

I really don't think he would have just left him there, unprotected and alone.

Happy Birthday to David Thewlis, AKA Moony, March 20th, and Gary Oldman, AKA Padfoot, March 21st!!!

"What did I care if numbers of nameless and faceless people and creatures were slaughtered in the vague future, if in the here and now you were alive, and well, and happy?"----- Albus Dumbledore

Once again you put your keen and penetrating mind to the task, and as usual, come to the wrong conclusion!

Last edited by Mugglelvr : March 9th, 2005 at 12:24 am.
Old March 9th, 2005, 8:10 am
Second Year

Good question. It seems he was unprotected. Not only in danger to surviving deatheaters, but a drunkard passing by or the milkman could take him. Or a homeless hungry dog...
So probably he HAD some protection after all.
I quess on a charm of some sort making him unseen by any other than Petunia.

Yes, and perhaps also Mrs Figg watching from distance already this night, like she did the years to come.

It was probably important for the charm to work to Petunia taking herself Harry in, and therefore starting a magical bond. Or sorts.

Old March 9th, 2005, 9:21 am
Third Year

I guess, by the time Dumbledore left Harry, there's Mrs. Figg to watch him...
But then, it was interesting... how could Dumbledore leave Harry alone, if ever...

My prince... an Oscar smile... Orlando Bloom

A proud Ron/ Hermione shipper
You should have died! Died rather than betray your friends, as we would have done for you!
-Sirius Black

What about side by side with a friend?
-Legolas (Orlando Bloom) in Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
Old March 9th, 2005, 11:25 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schames
Good question. It seems he was unprotected. Not only in danger to surviving deatheaters, but a drunkard passing by or the milkman could take him. Or a homeless hungry dog...

That was also a concern of mine. I mean, anything could have happened to Harry completely unrelated to Voldemort. In my original post, (which I changed due to length) I mentioned a dog dragging him off, or Harry waking up crying and attracting the entire neighborhood to his presence. Harry was old enough to walk - he could have gotten up and wandered off himself. So many things could have happened to Harry in those hours before Aunt Petunia found him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schames
Yes, and perhaps also Mrs Figg watching from distance already this night, like she did the years to come.

My thoughts are possibly an Order member, like Mundungus under the Invisibility Cloak, or Dumbledore - however it is that he becomes invisible. I don't think Mrs. Figg was involved at this point - I believe Dumbledore moved her into the neighborhood after he dropped off Harry. I don't think Mrs. Figg all ready lived there - that would be too coincidental.

Old March 9th, 2005, 11:56 am
Second Year

Consider the human side of the equation:

You discover a baby on your doorstep. The first thing you'd do is take it inside. Then you see the note. We don't know what the note said, but assume that Dumbledore placed the Dursleys in a magical contract, where, accepting the baby into their home they were then obligated to care for Harry.

Considering the Dursley's penchant for normality, they wouldn't want the neighbors to talk about the police visiting or the story that a baby was stranded on their doorstep leading to speculations (whose it is, where it came from?) becoming conversation material.

There may be other considerations, but consider the motivations of the Dursleys in this.

Go Back  CoSForums Archive > Hogwarts > History of Magic