CoSForums ArchiveCoSForums Archive

Go Back   CoSForums Archive > The Ministry of Magic > Department of International Magical Cooperation
User Name
Password

M-13 - Marriage of Charles and Camilla, right or wrong?

Old March 1st, 2005, 6:18 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundungus Fletc
Except of course in the Scottish Assembly where if the precedent set for his mother is anything to go by he will be Charles King of Scots

"Ish" The Scottish Assembly can use whatever form they like: in fact and in law he will be King of Scotland. The Scottish Parliament, nor for that matter the Monarch, has no
power to make it anything different.

Thus choosing to die resisting, rather than to live submitting, they fled only from dishonour, but met danger face to face, and after one brief moment, while at the summit of their fortune, escaped, not from their fear, but from their glory.

Thucydides: The Peloponnesian War
Old March 1st, 2005, 7:42 pm
Fourth Year

There is no "Scottish Assembly." It's the Scottish Parliament.

Cillit Bang!
Old March 1st, 2005, 7:58 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsten
There is no "Scottish Assembly." It's the Scottish Parliament.

Strictly speaking it is called a parliament, even it fails the normal test for being so name: sovereignty. Its title has everything to do with politics and nothing to do with its powers - though this is hardly a shocking surprise considering who created it.

Thus choosing to die resisting, rather than to live submitting, they fled only from dishonour, but met danger face to face, and after one brief moment, while at the summit of their fortune, escaped, not from their fear, but from their glory.

Thucydides: The Peloponnesian War
Old March 1st, 2005, 10:19 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupertlvr27
i don't see that there is anything wrong in Prince Charles' marrying Camilla, he loves her and they deserve to be married. I am happy that they didn't before because we wouldn't be able to gaze longingly at William and Harry...and that would truly be depressing.

Well yes, you got me thinking now, how would their children have looked. ]
I agree with the love thing tough, must be terrible to wait for such a long time.

Art is either plagiarism or revolution.
Paul Gauguin
Old March 1st, 2005, 10:29 pm
Second Year

Send a message via MSN to Ilse
Quote:
Originally Posted by HesHPfan
Well yes, you got me thinking now, how would their children have looked. ]
I agree with the love thing tough, must be terrible to wait for such a long time.

Their love must be very deep, otherwise it wouldn't survived all this. I think they'll enjoy it so much that they don't have the time to think about those hard years

I really hope they'll be happy.

I'm supporting HMS Heron, with lots of Chocolate in the cargo hold, sailing in the Moonlight of the Red Moon.
Old March 1st, 2005, 10:41 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilse
Their love must be very deep, otherwise it wouldn't survived all this. I think they'll enjoy it so much that they don't have the time to think about those hard years

I really hope they'll be happy.

I hope they will be too. For them it must have been so hard to wait. I couldn't bear it, I think.

Paul Gauguin
Old March 1st, 2005, 11:37 pm
Seventh Year

Send a message via AIM to purplehawk Send a message via MSN to purplehawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by HesHPfan

Um, I thought the whole problem was the fact they didn't bother waiting?

The Keys to Rowling's Website

"Open Our Eyes, Lord"

..:EDU::FTS:..
Old March 1st, 2005, 11:43 pm
Third Year

Of course, but they couldn't spend their lives together. They only had their hours.
But I am not trying to defend their behaviour during his marriage. That was wrong. But don't you agree that it must be difficult to wait if you both love the other so much.

Paul Gauguin
Old March 1st, 2005, 11:45 pm
Seventh Year

Not if they'd each undertaken marriages with others. What these two did was the height of selfishness.

"Open Our Eyes, Lord"

Old March 1st, 2005, 11:59 pm
Third Year

Yes I agree, but both marriages are over and maybe the deserve eachother. Let them be their eccentric selves.

Paul Gauguin
Old March 3rd, 2005, 10:48 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehawk
Not if they'd each undertaken marriages with others. What these two did was the height of selfishness.

Why? Never head of people getting divorced before?

What was selfish was Charles marrying Diana in the first place because it was proper and she was a Lady (British title).

If the Monarchy wasn't so worried about appearance and properness, they
would never have been in this situation in the first place.

Now they are. So leave the two alone and let them live their lives and stop judging on what you don't know.

Old March 3rd, 2005, 10:55 pm
Seventh Year

That's not at all what I meant. To be actively engaged in an affair while still married seems, to me, to be the height of selfishness. Andrew Parker Bowles and Diana, Princess of Wales, deserved better than cheating spouses IMHO.

"Open Our Eyes, Lord"

Old March 3rd, 2005, 11:03 pm
Third Year

THAT I agree with - to cheat is bad. - I wholeheartedly agree.

They should have never married in the first place.

But I think that the make-up of the monarchy in Britain and their insistance on looking proper and acceptable to the British public is outdated and irrelevant.

That, and the insistance that marrying a commoner is unacceptable is the problem.

So here they are - regardless of what they are like, as I said, leave them alone.

It is the incessant focus on the lives of celebrities that has caused the problems in the first place.

Old March 4th, 2005, 8:08 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehawk
That's not at all what I meant. To be actively engaged in an affair while still married seems, to me, to be the height of selfishness. Andrew Parker Bowles and Diana, Princess of Wales, deserved better than cheating spouses IMHO.

Diana was hardly a model of fidelity.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."

H.L. Mencken
Old March 4th, 2005, 9:00 am
Third Year

True, both were at fault.

Here a new story from Reuters.com http://today.reuters.com/news/newsA...-WINDSOR-DC.XML

Camilla Vs Diana: No Contest at the Souvenir Stall

WINDSOR, England (Reuters) - The Charles and Camilla tea towels are on order for the big day but nothing can ever match the popularity of the Princess Diana silver spoon.

"Diana stuff always sells -- even now," said souvenir stallholder James Toomey, reflecting on how differently people react to the two women in the heir to the throne's checkered love life.
Pointing to the decorative spoons lined up on his stall outside Windsor Castle, he said: "Diana always comes top with the customers, followed by the Queen Mother and the Queen. Charles is always bottom -- even behind his sons."
Who buys what silver spoon may not qualify as the most scientific of opinion polls but it highlights how tough it is for Charles to win public acceptance of his long time lover Camilla Parker Bowles before their marriage on April 8.
At every gift shop in this picturesque town on the banks of the River Thames, the iconic image of Diana stares out from dozens of mugs and postcards, sandwiched between the tacky Union Jack thongs and Queen Elizabeth calendars.

The queen won't attend, but she will be watching -- her portrait hangs in the town hall chamber where Charles will finally marry the love of his life, forever vilified as the woman who destroyed his marriage to the fairytale "People's Princess."

The first thing the newly-weds will see when they step out of the town hall is the two Ladies and Gents public lavatories flanking its entrance on Windsor High Street, home to a string of pubs, burger bars and pizza parlors.
On their short journey back to Windsor Castle for the wedding reception, they will pass the somber statue of Queen Victoria, who points her scepter at the ground with haughty disdain.
Down the street at McDonald's, the Windsor branch of the fast food giant has no plans to lay on Camilla Burgers or Charlie fries.
"But we hope to have fun and create a bit of theater with color-in tiaras," said a spokeswoman. "The doormen will be dressing up in morning suits."
And what of Charles future loyal subjects here, 40 km up the river from London?
Diana may forever win the hearts of the two million tourists who pour into the town every year but the people of Windsor appear in forgiving mood toward the happy couple.
Leslie Grout, a tourist guide in Windsor for the last 25 years, said: "Charles and Camilla are allowed a decent life together. Leave them alone. They could do with a bit of peace."
At The Three Tuns pub behind the town hall, manager Chris Wilks wholeheartedly agreed: "We all lead our own lives. Why shouldn't they?"

Paul Gauguin

Last edited by HesHPfan : March 4th, 2005 at 9:57 am.
Old March 7th, 2005, 6:37 am
Sixth Year

I say after all this time of being seperated from eachother, let Charles and Camilla have their time together. They've carried on an affair for over 30 year and even though Charles was married to Diana at one time he treated her like **** and I don't think he even wanted to marry her in the first place. The only reason he married her was because everyone knew she would be good for the country. I mean, I disapprove of the way he treated Diana as much as the next person does. I truly do. He married Diana and still kept his mistress and showed Diana no respect while expecting her to live with the circumstances of their marriage being a complete sham. But my point is that though Charles made Diana suffer a lot and denied her any happiness in their marriage I think Charles deserves to be happy also. I think everyone deserves some happiness at some point. Charles had a very distant unemotional relationship with his parents who later forced him into a marriage and refused him the woman he loved. He's always done his duty first and now I think he should obey his duty to his heart. I mean they are old, they might as well enjoy their golden years together now. It's not like Camilla is marrying him to be queen or anything. If that were the case should would have married him in the first place.

Old March 7th, 2005, 11:13 am
Fourth Year

Yes, let him marry Camilla. Lady Diana has been dead for 8 years now. I don't support extramarital affairs, though, so I understand that some people in Britain don't like to see Charles and Camilla together. But I think it's more important that they are happy, and clearly, they have loved each other for many years, so let them marry and be happy together.

Very proud Supreme Mugwump of the I.W.B.T.B.I.G.O.I.A.S.S.S.S.
"A warm feeling was spreading through his body. It hadn’t been a dream. He had really been to the strange, but beautiful party. Facing him were four more months of imprisonment in hell, and then another year after that, but now he knew there was an escape. There was a way out. There was a place where he could start a new life. A place where snowdrops were flowering in an enchanted garden. A place where nobody knew that he was Snivellus."
From my fanfic:Severus Snape and the Whomping Willow Incident
Old March 7th, 2005, 12:53 pm
Fifth Year

I don't object to it at all. It's obvious that he loves her and what's marriage if not a celebration of love? Legally he's a widower so what's the problem? I don't think that special rules should apply to him just because he's next in line to the throne. He should be given the same legal rights as everyone else.
I understand that when he is king he will be an important figure in the church of England but even they accept divorce and remarriage so his past sins aren't really sins for them .Even so he's a widower so things are different for most religions now. They would have been justified in objecting to the marriage if Diana were alive but she's not.

"I've been looking so long at these pictures of you
That I almost believe that they're real
I've been living so long with my pictures of you
That I almost believe that the pictures are
All I can feel"
.. the Cure
Old March 8th, 2005, 10:53 am
Second Year

What I find truly upsetting about this whole thing is that Charles' mother is not even supporting him through this difficult time of his. It must have taken him a lot of guts to be able to go through with this marriage amidst all the controversy, yet his mother chooses not to attend the wedding. I think the prince can deal with the fact that a lot of Britain are against this marriage, but it must be rather sad and upsetting to know that your mother won't even show up or support you through one of the most important days of your life.

67% obsessed with Harry Potter

July 16th!

Proud member of the Hogwarts String Orchestra

Old March 8th, 2005, 11:00 am
Fourth Year

Why would you be upset about it? It makes no difference to our lives, surely?

Cillit Bang!
Old March 8th, 2005, 11:20 am
Fifth Year

I think the queen has said that if she attends it wont be the low key affair (no pun intended) and Charles and Camilla don't want that. We don't know if he had an input in that decision or anything about it so we can't really say if it's her choice. I'm sure that she wants to see her son happy though as any mother would.
The decision may well have been to avoid further controversy. If the queen were to show public support for something parts of the country strongly oppose it could cause the monarchy serious problems. I wouldn't have a problem with saying ' He's my son, like it or lump it I'm going!' But the queen has always been devoted to doing what she feels is best for the country..

"I've been looking so long at these pictures of you
That I almost believe that they're real
I've been living so long with my pictures of you
That I almost believe that the pictures are
All I can feel"
.. the Cure
Old March 8th, 2005, 11:55 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornish_pixies
What I find truly upsetting about this whole thing is that Charles' mother is not even supporting him through this difficult time of his. It must have taken him a lot of guts to be able to go through with this marriage amidst all the controversy, yet his mother chooses not to attend the wedding. I think the prince can deal with the fact that a lot of Britain are against this marriage, but it must be rather sad and upsetting to know that your mother won't even show up or support you through one of the most important days of your life.

I'm sorry, but describing anything in the life of the Prince of Wales as "upsetting" is somewhat silly. He was born with a silver spoon in his mouth, has never had to worry about paying bills, getting a job or just in general any of the every day things the rest of the world has to go through. This whole thing with Camilla is a storm in a waterglass.

Old March 8th, 2005, 2:23 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
The decision may well have been to avoid further controversy. If the queen were to show public support for something parts of the country strongly oppose it could cause the monarchy serious problems. I wouldn't have a problem with saying ' He's my son, like it or lump it I'm going!' But the queen has always been devoted to doing what she feels is best for the country..

Yes, and that same commitment to duty is also the same exact reason why nearly all her children's marraiges save for one have gone straight down the drain. If anything I'd say it's her decision of duty over family that has caused all the problems. She's so overly committed to the country that sometimes I think she just forgets how to be a mother.

Quote:
I'm sorry, but describing anything in the life of the Prince of Wales as "upsetting" is somewhat silly. He was born with a silver spoon in his mouth, has never had to worry about paying bills, getting a job or just in general any of the every day things the rest of the world has to go through. This whole thing with Camilla is a storm in a waterglass.

Someone cna be born with the wealth of the world and still be miserable. Just because some one has wealth does mean they've necessarily had a happy life. Can you imagine having parents who put duty over family first, where the normal tradtition is to shake hands with their children, where your parents push you into a marraige head first even though you know you'll be miserable. Charles has had every priviledge granted for him but he's always had to live his life for everyone else and not his own. Most of us don't have that kind of money or fame or priviledge so we wouldn't know.

Diana has been dead for 8 years and is 6 feet under. Charles is widowed and he has a chance to truly be happy for the first time in a long time. Let him have Camilla, let him marry her. I think that everyone know matter who they are or what they've done deserves to have some happiness in their lives and I think Diana would have wanted Charles to be happy at some point. Diana inadvertently got her revenge on Charles by casting a gloomy shadow over the whole affair after her death but it's time for everyone to move on.

Old March 9th, 2005, 7:02 am
Fifth Year

I read in my paper today that there are some people who are even planning on picketing the wedding tomorrow! Now that's...kinda sad. Sometimes you get the people in life you deserve. And IMO, both Camilla and Charles richly deserve each other, so people should just let them be.

Old March 9th, 2005, 11:43 am
Fourth Year

They can picket tomorrow all they like. The wedding's not till April.

Cillit Bang!
Old March 9th, 2005, 11:49 am
Third Year

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/...ter/4329953.stm

Diana ballet premiered in the UK

A controversial ballet about the life of the late Princess Diana will get its UK premiere on Tuesday.
The ballet, called Diana The Princess and created by Danish choreographer Peter Schauffus, will be performed at The Palace Theatre in Manchester.
Mr Schauffus supervised private dancing lessons for Diana and said the piece was a "tribute" to her.
Diana is portrayed as being treated cruelly by the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh in the show.
There are also scenes of Charles and Camilla in a clinch - Camilla wearing riding gear, hitting him with her crop.
The production features clips of Diana's voice and music from Elgar and The Cure.

Charles and Camilla

Dancers Zara Deakin and Sean Ganley play the parts of Princess Diana and Prince Charles.
Mr Schauffus is the former artistic director of the English National Ballet and also a former star of the New York City and Bolshoi ballets.
Princess Diana was patron of the ENB and first met Mr Schauffus in 1986, he said.
He created the show for his Danish company, the Peter Schauffus Ballet.

West End

"I think she would love the show. Dance was the art form that she really, really loved above anything else, although she loved all kinds of art forms," he said.
"Dance was an art form she practised herself when she was a very young girl, and she kept on practising it after she became the Princess of Wales."
The production shows Charles and Camilla Parker Bowles meeting up in the early stages of his marriage to Diana. It also shows Diana with Dodi Fayed.
There are no scenes showing the Abbey wedding, James Hewitt or the car crash in which she died.
Musicals and operas based on her life have already been shown in Germany and New York.
Diana The Princess will be shown in Manchester until 12 April and is due to move to the West End later in the year.
It will not be shown on 8 April - the day Charles is due to wed Camilla.

Funny or Sad?

Paul Gauguin

Go Back  CoSForums Archive > The Ministry of Magic > Department of International Magical Cooperation