Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   Legilimency Studies (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=163)
-   -   Bellatrix Lestrange: Character Analysis (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=107879)

HesperGamp February 24th, 2010 4:02 am

Re: Bellatrix Lestrange: Character Analysis

1. Bellatrix is often seen as the most fanatical of Voldemort's supporters. Why do you think it is that she has devoted her life and efforts so wholly to Voldemort? What influences in her family and life could have led to her becoming one of the most feared Death Eaters? Could she have any romantic feelings for Voldemort?
It's the way she's always been. She lived up to her family's pureblood supremacy beliefs and the Slytherin stereotype. I think that there were several major events in her life that led her to becoming the way that she is. Also, she is extremely talented.
And no, definately not. I don't think that she understood love in the slightest, let alone character. She was such a loyal supporter because she completely agreed with Voldemort's ideas. She only married Rudolphus because it was convient, and they were both extreme Death Eaters--there was no love in their relationship.

2. What do you suppose leads Bellatrix to distrust Snape so, as seen in the HBP chapter 'Spinner's End'? Does this cast any doubts upon her complete trust in Voldemort? Does it speak of any prior relationship with Snape?
In my opinion, Bellatrix didn't trust Snape because he wasn't with Voldemort all along, he didn't immediately return to him, et cetera. Voldemort trusts Snape, so Bellatrix must have a seed of doubt in her mind regarding her trust for Voldemort. I don't think that they've ever had a friendly relationship.

3. What kind of relationship do you think that Bellatrix had with her cousin, Sirius, for her to so easily battle against, and ultimately have a hand in killing him?
She definately hated him for being in Gryffindor, not following the beliefs of "the most noble house of Black" and associating with "undesirables."

4. Bellatrix is said to have been at school and joined forces with several other Death Eaters prior to Harry's parents being at Hogwarts. What factors do you see as contributing to the turning of Bellatrix and her peers to Voldemort, and how could they have gotten away with this in the middle of Hogwarts?
Most of the teachers (with the notable exception of Dumbledore) thought that Tom Riddle was brilliant. They probably turned a blind eye to such talented students for awhile.

5. Bellatrix seems to have a fondness for the Cruciatus curse. What do you think that this says about her personality and history?
She likes to see other people suffer. She probably suffered a lot in the past, or is a really awful person (probably both).

6. What do you think of her hatred of Tonks for marrying a werewolf?
Her neice, who she already resents, married a werewolf...a lot of witches and wizards, even those who sided against Voldemort, would probably be disgusted.

7. Do you think Belltrix could have been redeemed?
Its never too late if one has the courage to turn back and change their ways.

MistressofRaven February 24th, 2010 4:52 am

1. Bellatrix is often seen as the most fanatical of Voldemort's supporters. Why do you think it is that she has devoted her life and efforts so wholly to Voldemort?

I think she has a mental illness.

What influences in her family and life could have led to her becoming one of the most feared Death Eaters?

Growing up in a family that taught blood supremacy is largely responsible, but not fully. Like I said, I think she was ill.

Could she have any romantic feelings for Voldemort?

I don't doubt she has romantic feelings for Voldemort. She probably has almost every positive feeling one could have for another person.

2. What do you suppose leads Bellatrix to distrust Snape so, as seen in the HBP chapter 'Spinner's End'?

Her distrust comes from all the reasons she stated to Snape. She was right after all. Snape's also a bit strange (in a way different from her) so that probably has an effect on how she views him as well.

Does this cast any doubts upon her complete trust in Voldemort?

I don't think she has complete trust in Voldemort. I think she loves him, respects him, even worships him, etc., but she also has her own mind and in a rare instances she has a different opinion from Voldemort. I like that about her.

Does it speak of any prior relationship with Snape?

Maybe. They could have had a relationship through Lucius.

3. What kind of relationship do you think that Bellatrix had with her cousin, Sirius, for her to so easily battle against, and ultimately have a hand in killing him?

I think she had a special hatred for him in her heart for betraying her family.

4. Bellatrix is said to have been at school and joined forces with several other Death Eaters prior to Harry's parents being at Hogwarts. What factors do you see as contributing to the turning of Bellatrix and her peers to Voldemort

They all want to be powerful and distinguished, and Voldemort presents that opportunity for them.

and how could they have gotten away with this in the middle of Hogwarts?

Hogwarts teachers are horrendous when it comes to actually knowing what's happening outside the classroom. It's not surprising that anyone can get away with anything.

5. Bellatrix seems to have a fondness for the Cruciatus curse. What do you think that this says about her personality and history?

She is a true sadist and thus loves to torture people. And this also reinforces for me the notion that she was ill.

I expect nothing less from Bellatrix. I expect she also was hurt inside just a little. Her sister marries a muggle, her cousin abandons the family and gets into Gryffindor, and now her niece is marrying a werewolf. She probably feels that the Black family line and ideology is deteriorating.

Yes, everyone can be redeemed.

HeadLikeAHole February 24th, 2010 6:58 am

1. Bellatrix is often seen as the most fanatical of Voldemort's supporters. Why do you think it is that she has devoted her life and efforts so wholly to Voldemort? What influences in her family and life could have led to her becoming one of the most feared Death Eaters? Could she have any romantic feelings for Voldemort?
I think she definitely felt lust for Voldemort (whether it could be called love is highly debatable) and that was what drove her more than anything. Sure she signed up as a Death Eater originally just because she believed in what they were doing (probably because of her Black lineage and upbringing) but she went above and beyond because of her feelings for Voldemort.

2. What do you suppose leads Bellatrix to distrust Snape so, as seen in the HBP chapter 'Spinner's End'? Does this cast any doubts upon her complete trust in Voldemort? Does it speak of any prior relationship with Snape?
I think she distrusts Snape for the reasons she mentioned in HBP, and I imagine she also somewhat despises him for living a comfortable life as a Hogwarts teacher while she was in Azkaban. She probably doesn't understand why Voldemort trusts him so, but I'd guess that ultimately she's a good little DE and decides that if the Dark Lord says it, it is to be believed, or at least on the surface. I doubt she loses any of her esteem for Voldemort because of this.

This one is obvious - they absolutely hated each other. She saw him as a blood traitor who betrayed the Black lineage, he sees her as a psychotic bigot. I can imagine that even as kids they probably weren't best friends - maybe Sirius started to rebel because Bellatrix often bullied him when they were kids? It seems like the sorta thing she'd do. And I can imagine she relished knocking off Sirius, probably more than anyone else she'd killed.

4. Bellatrix is said to have been at school and joined forces with several other Death Eaters prior to Harry's parents being at Hogwarts. What factors do you see as contributing to the turning of Bellatrix and her peers to Voldemort, and how could they have gotten away with this in the middle of Hogwarts?
They turned to Voldemort because I'm guessing most of them were pure-bloods (or self-hating half-bloods) who liked the idea of wiping out Muggleborns. I doubt there was much else to it at first. As for how they did so in Hogwarts...I think we've learnt that if you really want to get away with something there (obvious example being the DA), there are plenty of ways to do so. I can imagine they had their little Dark Arts club in secret and no one ever needed to know.

It shows that she's a psychotic sadist.

She probably hated Tonks even before cause she was Andromeda's daughter.

Theoretically, yes. But would she have wanted to be redeemed? Hell to the no.

AldeberanBlack February 28th, 2010 7:49 am

Quote:

1. Bellatrix is often seen as the most fanatical of Voldemort's supporters. Why do you think it is that she has devoted her life and efforts so wholly to Voldemort?
Sometimes women in particular are attracted to charismatic cruel men. Serial killers often have devoted admirers and sometimes even get married to them. The women like the power and danger and the men like the idea of having a devoted follower, which makes them feel more powerful. It fans the flames.

Quote:

What influences in her family and life could have led to her becoming one of the most feared Death Eaters?
The ideology of the Black family appeared to be dominated by pure blood supremacism so it's not surprising that she followed it. She may have been subject to even more extreme teachings than Sirius.

Quote:

Could she have any romantic feelings for Voldemort?
No, it was more like sycophancy than love.

Quote:

Given that Snape works at Hogwarts, it's reasonable that some Death Eaters at least would have been suspicious. It was a balancing act of trusting their own instincts over accepting Voldemort's words without question.

Quote:

Obviously a hostile one. To her, he's a traitor to his family and their ideology. As for the battle, Bella had a killer instinct. Sirius did not.

Quote:

I answered the question of why she would have been a pure blooder earlier. As for getting away with it, they may have hidden their true "gang ideology". When in private or with sympathetic professors, they could openly discuss their views. When in public, they could have been the typical "school clique"

Quote:

That she's well schooled and ruthless.

Quote:

Perfectly reasonable given her ideology.

If she placed importance of blood purity, it's understandable that she'd be sickened by cross-species relations and werewolf blood being introduced into her family.

Quote:

It all depends really on whether the reader condemns or sympathises with her ideology. If by "redeemed" one means "tolerant of less-than-pure blood" then it's unlikely because she was very extreme. If one agrees with her ideology, then there's nothing that needs redeeming, and she's now a martyr.

Slartibartfast March 1st, 2010 2:54 am

This is something ive pondered about. I dont think she was "in love" with him in the really romantic sense. I think she was "in love" with his power, not the man. She saw the power he held as something completely amazing and i think part of her wanted to be able to wield that sort of power. We do see that she is in fact, married. However we dont see alot of Rudolfus do we? Or much of her interaction with her husband. I think she was so devoted to serving Voldemort that her marriage took a backseat.

The reason she distrusts Snape is because he didnt make effort to find the Dark Lord and support him after his fall. She sees him as "Dumbledore's stooge" who never served time in Azkaban because of all out loyalty to Voldy. She doesnt distrust Voldy at all, she is shocked to find that Voldy puts some trust in Snape even after he "made no attempt" to find Voldy. It does not seem to speak of past relationships. Also she is miffed to find that Voldy shared info with Snape perhaps prior to sharing it with her. This made her angry because she sees herself as the "right hand" so to speak.

Oh im certain they hated each other. Sirius turned his back on his family and didnt believe in the blood supremacy. This is the opposite of Bellatrix. I believe she didnt even consider him part of the family at all. Her "Auntie" even burned away his spot on the family tree.

Well, we see that even when Tom Riddle was at Hogwarts, he had "Death Eaters." After he left Hogwarts, he began his climb to power. Bellatrix came from a family that believed in the blood supremacy and had leanings toward the dark arts. Im sure this convinced her to join. She really believed in all that. The Death Eaters at Hogwarts seemed to be able to do plenty without detection.

I suppose she enjoys seeing pain inflicted on others. Why? Im not sure. It certainly tells us that she is a nasty sort of person, who cares little for others.

I think its typical of someone like her who believes in supremacy. Werewolves are thought to be "half-breeds" or "tainted." They arent really counted as a part of Wizarding society. (Shes not terribly fond of Greyback either.) Tonks is also the product of her sister marrying a muggle. Thats bad juju in Bellatrix's eyes. Tonks marrying a werewolf is just another reason to be ashamed of some members of her family.

That is subjective. In my own opinion, no.

persian85033 March 22nd, 2010 7:57 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emperor_Gestahl (Post 4695938)
Yes, it's debateable whether it was Azkaban that drove her insane or whether she was crazy to begin with.

I wonder what her worst memories could have been. She doesn't really seem to be afraid of anything, does she?

I think she already hated Tonks for being a half blood.

CurseCruciatus March 22nd, 2010 9:19 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by hermy_weasley2 (Post 4629906)

I like this question so I'll answer only #5 for now:
In The Prince's Tale, Dumbledore describes her as: "dear Bellatrix, who likes to play with her food before she eats it..." So it was no secret that Bellatrix enjoyed torturing her victims and inflicting intense pain on them (her way of having fun and "playing" with them, no doubt) before finishing them off. She tells Harry that he was to want to cause the pain. She's heartless and sadistic enough to find pleasure in watching others under the Cruciatus Curse. IMO, Bellatrix doesn't think it's enough of a punishment to just kill someone, as they don't feel anything and it's over in a second, which won't give her the sadistic pleasure she seeks, so she results to torturing them.

MinervasCat March 26th, 2010 12:58 am

Even more than Voldemort, Bellatrix is my favorite "bad guy." She is so totally evil, with no saving points whatsoever.

She grew up in a family that (as we learn from Kreacher's mumblings) despises anyone other than Purebloods. They probably surrounded themselves with like-thinking people, so, she would have been totally indoctrinated into that type of thinking. I also think she was a bit of a psychopath.

IMO, she was in love (if you can use that word in relation to Bella) with Voldemort and would have gladly served as his consort.

I don't think Snape was as involved in most, if any, of the incidents that Bella was (which she refers to in HBP), and so she considered him a coward and slacker, and not as worthy of Voldemort's trust as she was. Also, she went to prison for being a DE rather than denying it and trying to pretend she was under the imperius curse like many of the DE's did. This gave her a feeling of superiority over Snape and any others that had not done the same. I don't think she would have mistrusted Voldemort about anything.

Since he was disowned by the Black family when he did not agree with their involvement with Voldemort, I would say she only considered him a cousin in name only, but, had no emotional attachment to him at all. Since we don't see anything of their childhoods together, for all we know, their dislike of each other could go back further than that.

I think, again, because of her "Pureblood" background, she would have fallen for Voldemort's promise of power and ridding the wizarding world of Mudbloods and Halfbloods.

I don't think we see a lot of close supervision of these things, and many others, during anyone's time at Hogwarts, even as recently as Draco Malfoy.

She was a psychopath who was bolstered by her family's hatred for non-Purebloods and anyone who had anything to do with them.

Same as for Sirius. The only thing worse than someone who is not a Pureblood would be a werewolf. I'm sure she considered that a total pollution of their gene pool.

No. To be redeemed, you have to be sorry for your actions. I think Bella reveled in hers and thoroughly enjoyed inflicting as much pain and suffering as possible.

Slytherin_12 March 29th, 2010 7:46 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wakkachuta (Post 4635869)
I have to be honest. I don't think much of Bellatrix Lestrange. I think she is too fanatical of Voldemort. She follows his every order willingly and like a sheep. If I was Voldemort, I wouldn't like her, I would just take advantage of her at every turn.

But maybe this says something. Was she lacking in a good father-figure? Is she seeking for a father-figure in Voldemort?

I think it was rather obvious that Bellatrix and Sirius did not have a good relationship as children. She probably saw him as a blood-traitor for having such pure blood but being sorted into Gryffindor and joining the Order later.

I think that the Black family and the idea of a 'pure' blood ancestry is what influenced her to join Voldemort and the Death Eaters. But she just took it several steps further and turned it into fanaticism.

I mean, why do other girls become fanatical over rock stars? What motivates them? I may sound a little mean and dismissive of Bella, but maybe that's all it is.

Feel free to put up a counter argument and convince me otherwise :)

I thought you answered the questions pretty much accurately.

Also, for her past, what if she was abused during childhood? Combined with a psychopathic personality could be truly dangerous, as we know from the novels about her actions. Sometimes people see their past as a reason to bring vengeance onto the world.

And as for Bellatrix being able to be redeemed: No. She had no guilt whatsoever about her actions. She was almost like Voldemort. Plus, she could be seen laughing after, for instance, Siruis's death.
However, we only know so much from Harry's perspective about her...

persian85033 March 30th, 2010 7:18 pm

I'm rereading Deathly Hallows, and I noticed something. Bellatrix was racing with Malfoy to get to the door. Of course, I know that Voldemort doesn't really care much for his followers, either, but in Order of the Phoenix, he took Bellatrix with him when he Disapparated. I thought that showed that he did value her loyalty at least a bit. Don't know why that got my attention so suddenly.

Trixa April 2nd, 2010 6:56 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by persian85033 (Post 5515570)
I'm rereading Deathly Hallows, and I noticed something. Bellatrix was racing with Malfoy to get to the door. Of course, I know that Voldemort doesn't really care much for his followers, either, but in Order of the Phoenix, he took Bellatrix with him when he Disapparated. I thought that showed that he did value her loyalty at least a bit. Don't know why that got my attention so suddenly.

Voldemort was obviously crazed at the time, as he was killing everyone in sight. Of course Bellatrix was scared for her life. I don't think he would have killed her, or if he would he would have felt sorry for it afterwards, but judging from the state he was in, it's hard to say. I agree he didn't care much for his followers but it was different with Bellatrix as we were shown in both DH and OotP.

mrsmalfoy78 May 5th, 2010 2:01 am

I think she does have romantic feelings for Voldemort and it's possible that he does for her too. I think that her beliefs of pureblood made her be so sadistic, and also we never saw her before she was in Azkaban so it's possible that she went crazy there, it's also possible that she was mentally ill before then.

I think she trust Voldemort completely, but it's possible that she knows of Snapes's ability to do Occlumency and thats why she doesnt trust him.

I think she hated him. In DH she said that mudbloods and blood traitors were the same in her book. And in her mind Sirius would definately be a blood traitor as well as a traitor to his family.

Well Draco was a DE at Hogwarts wasnt he? So i dont really see how back then it wouldve been an issue either. Also the DA was top secret maybe the DE at hogwarts were too.

I think that it says that she like to kill slowly

No, absolutely not

halfbreedlover May 5th, 2010 3:01 am

The one thing that annoys me about female characters in Harry Potter, particularly female villains, is the little depth that they're given. Even Slughorn, a relatively minor character, has a more fleshed-out story than Bellatrix.

So why has she devoted her life to Voldemort? I don't know. Rowling has decided that we don't need to know her motivations. We don't know why she became such a feared Death Eater. She grew up under the same roof as Narcissa and Andromeda, but unlike her sisters, she turned into a monster. It is hard to say what made her the way she was.

I do think she had romantic feelings for Voldemort, but I don't think she really needed for them to be returned. It is more like the sort of romantic feeling a devoted cult follower feels for her leader- she wouldn't mind just being used, just to be in his presence is an honor.

There seems to be a pattern with members of the Black family and mistrusting Snape, on both sides of the war. Maybe like her cousin, Bellatrix just needed a bit more than "Trust the leader" and personally, I respect skepticism more than blind trust.

I read a theory once which posited that Snape told Bellatrix and co. to go to the Longbottoms for information. In that case, it would make sense for her not to trust him entirely.

I think she hated him. That's pretty clear. He was a disgrace to her family's name.

Perhaps the Death Eaters at Hogwarts were an underground society like the DA. They could easily slip under the radar with proper use of the Room of Requirement.

I think people joined the Death Eaters for different reasons, and not all of them had to do with pure radical bloodist ideology. I think Bellatrix was a true ideologue though. I don't think she cared about anything else other than getting rid of the blood traitors and the mudbloods.

I think Voldemort said something like, "she likes to play with her food before she eats it."

It makes perfect sense. I would have been very surprised if she was accepting of Remus. Of course, she probably hated Tonks anyway just for being half-blood.

No. I think she was a true sadist and sociopath, and people like that are rarely redeemed.

Bella_Crucio_U May 5th, 2010 4:08 am

I think that obviously her family had a huge influence on her decision of getting involved with the dark arts. I think she might have always been a little insane even before azkaban. Imo, I don't think she was ever completely normal. She must have always had that urge to go and join Voldemort. Some people are just purely evil and she is one of those people. Bellatrix definitely had romantic feelings for Voldemort. She makes this most apparent in DH when she is constantly at his side trying to impress him. Or you could say that she was merely fascinated beyond belief by him?

She basically says why when she calls him out for it in HBP. She doesn't think he was putting enough effort into bringing Voldemort back and that he spends way too much time around Dumbledore. I think she still trusts Voldemort, but I don't think anything could make her trust for him die out. She has an obsession with Voldemort and what he says is what she does/believes.

It's pretty apparent that they hated each other. Sirius hated everything that his family stood for and believed in. Bellatrix considered Sirius a disgrace to the Black family. As far as she was concerned, he wasn't family at all.

Quote:

Perhaps the Death Eaters at Hogwarts were an underground society like the DA
I agree. I think there were plenty of ways for these future DEs to get away with stuff. You also have to take into consideration that they were Slytherins and it might have been expected or normal to have a few bad guys to come out of that house.

Like I said above, she is insane. She wants to cause as much pain to her victom as possible. Dumbledore said that she "likes to play with her food before she eats it" which is very true. She wants to feel powerful and the people she tortured must have all been people who were Mudbloods/Bloodtraitors/Muggles. Bellatrix sees all of them as below her in status so they deserve pain.

I think that she saw it as another disgrace to the family. Bella hates werewolves as much as Muggles and Mudbloods. The fact that Voldemort pointed this marraige out and embarrassed her in front of the other DEs made her hate the marraige even more. That of course led to her decision to kill off Tonks.

Absolutely not. In my eyes she is one of the few characters that could never be redeemed no matter how hard she begged for fogiveness. It's not like Bella would want redemption anyway. She loves her status as crazy Voldemort lover. Bella was way to evil to be redeemed and was totally beyond repair, imo.

merrymarge May 13th, 2010 10:01 pm

I read that Jo stated that Bellatrix loved Voldemort. But, I always wondered if he realised that she was in love with him.
Voldemort wanted to be supreme wizard. Muggle-born and "blood-traitors" would have prevented this. I think they were able to get away with this because Voldemort operated in secret and outside of school. Perhaps they all meat in Hogsmeade, maybe in the "Three Broomsticks"?
I don't think Bellatrix wanted to be redeemed.

BethWeasley May 16th, 2010 12:48 pm

I think perhaps the reason she joined Voldemort was because of her family - although this doesn't explain how Andromeda or Narcissa didn't turn out as crazed as she did. Was Bellatrix the oldest of the 3 sisters? I think she was. Maybe this explains why she turned out to be the most crazed - she was influenced the most from her family in the start. Or maybe she just took to the idea of Lord Voldemort and purebloods reining free across the world; such as Hitler and his Nazis did. (Isn't that what Voldemort and his Death Eaters are based on?)

And according to JK, Bellatrix married a pureblood "because it was expected of her", not because she was in love with him, which makes me think that she loved Voldemort more than she should. I don't know where it says it, but in the DH book, isn't there a line that says, '"My Lord...my Lord..." It was Bellatrix, and she spoke as if to a lover'? - although whether or not Voldemort knew or cared of this love is unknown.

I think maybe she was jealous of him, just slightly. Voldemort seemed to trust Snape with being a spy, being something of importance to the future of Voldemort's triumphs, if you will. So maybe Bellatrix disliked Snape for that reason; that it almost seemed like Snape was Voldemort's favourite, and that wasn't right, she was supposed to be Voldemort's favourite, not him. Besides, she was a pureblood. Snape was just a halfblood. Surely, in Bellatrix's eyes, that meant to her that Voldemort should have been putting more trust into her?

And no, I don't think anything could have stopped Bellatrix of her 'love' for Voldemort. Nothing would break that trust, I'm sure.

I think she hated him. That was obvious from where she battled him so fiercely, from where she killed him without batting an eyelash, and where she boasted about if afterwards, showing no remorse she had just killed an almost close relative. I think this was due to the fact he was a 'disgrace' to her. He had defied the ways of the Blacks, the ways of being a pureblood. He had put shame on her family, and in her eyes, he deserved to die.

Tom Riddle began his climb for power in school, so why shouldn't Bellatrix? I think she was so taken with the idea, with the thought, of Voldemort, with the thought that her and her family could be almost like royalty, and that she could stand alongside Voldemort as...not his wife, but as his main girl, his best luitentent...was something she couldn't resist.

And I think the Death Eaters would have secretive at first, like the DA meetings. They wouldn't have wanted to be exposed, to be watched closely by the other teachers. They were just kids at the time, after all.

It says that she is insane, basically. She's like a cat, playing with her victims before killing them. Like Dumbledore said to Snape in DH, "...and dear Bellatrix, who likes to play with her food before she eats it." She likes to see people beg at her, she likes to hear them scream. She's sadistic, she's crazy in that way.

I'm sure Bellatrix saw werewolves the same way she saw Muggles, marks on the clean world that should have belonged to purebloods. I think she saw Tonks marrying Lupin as her neice messing up the family line, ruining the Blacks perfection.

7. Do you think Bellatrix could have been redeemed?

Never. She caused too much suffering to ever be redeemed. She would have been beyond repair.

LadyTaiyo October 21st, 2010 9:12 am

1. I would guess that Bellatrix was probably singled out by Voldemort at a young age for her lineage and talent. I think that beneath everything she really wasn't anything more than a woman who was very much in love, albeit she couldn't have picked a more difficult person to be in love with. But fundamentally she was quite similar to Ginny, Hermione, and even Lily, that doesn't make her actions or ideology correct, it just gives some insight into her character.

2. I think that Bellatrix was actually a bit of a hypocrite in regards to this issue. I think that she viewed loyalty as a fairly "black and white" thing, to her those with even questionable belief were just as bad as their enemies. On the other hand, she seems to feel strongly enough that she voiced an opposite opinion which I personally liked, as it showed that she could still think for herself when it mattered. I also wondered if it was hinting at a more familiar (i.e. somewhat friendly) relationship between the two as she did not seem to have the same mortal terror of disagreeing with him that her peers did. Additionally, I think she was being protective in her own (strange) way.

3. I think that it wasn't personal at all, to her Sirius was just an enemy that was in the way, the only individual she seems to actually care about (besides Voldemort) is her younger sister, Narcissa.

4. I think that Voldemort could be very subtle when he felt it would suit him and I think that the death eater ideology was in keeping with what these individuals were exposed to and taught was correct at home.

5. I think this is symbolic of her utter devotion to her cause and leader, she seems to relish any task she is given, no matter the job.

6. I actually think that she was probably jealous of Tonks, who did, in essence end up with what Bellatrix wanted, to have a romantic relationship with the individual for which they held those sentiments. I suspect it may even have made her somewhat resentful of her own situation, Tonks and Lupin had so many things going against them and they managed to make it work anyway, while Bellatrix and Voldemort have far less holding them back (I know that she is married), but the object of her affection is either not interested or non-cooperative.

7. I think that she would have followed her master, where ever that lead her.

Luna_andNeville November 10th, 2010 1:27 am

Yes, I'll agree that in a lot of cases, Bellatrix is the Voldemort fanatic, but after these seven questions, I'll attend further to this matter.
I, actually, don't think she did devote herself, wholly anyway, completely to Voldemort. I think that Bellatrix was in love with her husband (I forgot his name) in the beginning, but the thrill soon wore off. Now, she's in love, or should I sat in fanatic-ness, again, but not with Voldemort, or even Snape. For some reason, I think Bellatrix Lestrange may have been in love with Lucius Malfoy. Yes, they were "related," but Lucius was Narcissa's husband. Bella and Lucius were not blood-related, as I recall.
I think that Bella was jealous of Narcissa, and had been for a while. Bellatrix, I think, devised the plan to become Voldemort's biggest fan because Lucius was so close to him. I don't think she ever really cared about being a Death Eater more so than the average crazy individual.
Obviously, though, she likes it some, or she wouldn't have been a Death Eater in the first place. I'm not saying she didn't like the killing part of it, I'm just saying that other than the sickness of being a Death Eater, the only real reason Bellatrix was one was because of Lucius Malfoy.

We don't know Bellatrix's past before school in depth, so school is where I'll start: I'm actually not all that sure of what went on in Hogwarts, but I know she got sorted into Slytherin, and guessing that Slytherin was like it is now, it couldn't have been good for Bellatrix's esteem. So the literal first day and 11-year-old Bellatrix gets sorted into the most hated house? That's a good ego booster.
Having a sister like Narcissa could not have helped, either. Narcissa was also a Slytherin, correct? The two probably stuck together most of the time, but when they got into fights, Narcissa seems like the kind or person who is born naturally knowing how to insult someone. Another huge step down on the ego staircase every time they fought. Being 11 through 17 during school, imagine how many fights they got into, how many times Narcissa said something, sneered the way she does and Bellatrix ran up to her bed, imagine how many times teenager Bellatrix cried herself to sleep at night. Every single bad experience when one is young makes a person into who they turn out to be in the end. Obviously, all of this does not make for a promising adult.
Then, you've got the student who's probably failing a lot of her classes, inevitably getting loads of detention time. But why would Bellatrix care about something as silly as detention? It gives her something to do with her time. Also, for Bellatrix to be able to say, "I don't care if they give me a thousand detentions, I won't break," would actually be ego-boosting to an adolescent like her. To be able to pride herself on having loads of detention and just take it might not have been recognized as a big feat with the other students, but Bellatrix thought she was the big cheese.

Question from the interviewee time! Who does this young Bellatrix sound like? After the break, we'll tell you if the correct answer is A) Death Eater Bellatrix, B) Older Bellatrix, or C) Both of the above because they're the same thing, basically. See you after the break!

*Ahem* I discussed the romance thing a while ago... No, I do not think there is any way Bellatrix Lestrange was in love with Voldemort.

Let me just take the time to say this: Eww!!

I think that something extremely important leads Bellatrix to distrust Snape; herself. She's so insecure about herself, and she lies to everyone around her, Bellatrix can only assume that everyone is like that, that everyone is a cold, cruel-hearted person on the inside.

Well, naturally. No one trusts Bellatrix completely, so Bellatrix trusts no one completely. It's the give-and-take of life.

I don't think she loves Snape. Again, ew.

Sirius and Bellatrix's relationship is not. There is no such thing as Bellatrix having a real relationship with anyone, let alone someone who was sorted into Gryffindor, a member of the Order and brought sham eupon his entire family. The fact that this person disgraced the family that they both belong to just put her over the top. I think Bellatrix hated him to the core, and literally wanted her flesh and blood dead, at any cost. She just didn't care.

Well, I don't think they actually served Voldemort from Hogwarts, but I think she and a few friends did the same thing the "professors" are going to do in a few years. She got together and created a club of sorts, but hers was aimed towards evil, as opposed to good as "Padfoot," "Moony," "Prongs" and "Wormtail" were. Obviously, the four good guys weren't creating the Order when they were in school, just as I don't think Bellatrix and her cronies were Death Eating until after they were seventeen.

I don't they actually really did anything that the other future Death Eaters weren't during school. Maybe they Imperiused a few first years, but who, in Slytherin can you truly say, hasn't?

When she was younger (Before Hogwarts younger), who tormented her? Who acted like she wanted Bellatrix emotionally dead? None other than the insulting, captivating and seeming-like-she's-telling-the-truth-ing Narcissa Malfoy. How many years of suffering did Bellatrix endure before anything happened? About eleven years, but more than twenty years worth of Narcissa. That can explain a lot about a person.

Just the same as her hatred of Sirius, except that with Sirius, Bellatrix had that nagging family instict. With Tonks, there is nothing. Bellatrix has no reason to like Tonks, but every reason to hate her. It's almost pitiful.

7. Do you think Bellatrix could have been redeemed?

Actually, I do. I'm not too sure how, but it's got something to do with Lucius. But she's not all bad. I know Bellatrix has some good in her somewhere. There has to be.

Since I have no time, I'm going to address the issues I thought of all on my own later. ;)

merrymarge November 10th, 2010 2:34 am

Luna... you have a good imagination and maybe you should try your hand at fan fiction. JK did say that Bellatrix loved Voldemort. I too wondered if she loved him more for his power but then someone mentioned that Jo already answered this question.
As for using the Cruciatus curse, Dumbledore stated that she like to play with her food before eating it. To me, this meant she like to torture people before killing them. Of course I could be wrong about that part.
Bellatrix's sister Andromeda married a muggleborn, Ted Tonks. This was a slap in the face about the family. Of course she would hate Tonks for marrying a werewolf, she diluted the pure-blood line still further.
I don't think Bellatrix was redeemable. She was too evil.

SNet November 10th, 2010 3:46 am

I don't know if I agree with the general sentiment that Bellatrix had romantic feelings for Voldemort. JKR says she "loved only Voldemort", but I don't see it as a love of Voldemort. She was more in love with the way Voldemort treated her, and the respect she commanded from other Death Eaters. She never exhibited any particular love for his character, only saying that he had trusted her above all, and that she was his most loyal servant. Maybe in the time before we see Bellatrix, she did harbor feelings for him, but her time in Azkaban addled her brains to the point where I'm not sure anything she says can be believed anyway. As to the reason she joined up, I think it was because she enjoys feeling more powerful than others, and because she wholeheartedly believed in pureblood supremacy. Beyond that, it's nature vs. nurture, and beyond what I have the energy to write about here.

I don't think her complete trust in Voldemort is affected. I think her whole resentment of Snape is that she thinks he's taking power away from her in Voldemort's inner circle, and that she had fallen out of favor with Voldemort shortly before that scene.

The way I've envisioned it is an extreme rivalry between the two when they were younger. Bellatrix was about 8 years older than Sirius, so she was probably starting up with Voldemort around the time Sirius was sorted into Gryffindor. The fact that they had polar opposite views on pureblood supremacy coupled with their shared temper probably would've caused the animosity.

Voldemort isn't stupid, and in order to get someone's complete loyalty to an ideal, the best move to make is to snag them young. When he takes over the Ministry in DH, he immediately takes control of Hogwarts and makes changes to the curriculum. The Crabbes and Goyles immediately began to flourish and succeed under Voldemort's Hogwarts, though Snape stopped them from going too far. I imagine Voldemort had some form of recruiting at Hogwarts when he was in power the first time.

She enjoys power, and what better way to feel powerful than to torture someone into insanity?

It's pretty typical Death Eater hatred for anything deemed to be beneath them. I'm sure some of her hatred for Sirius spilled over onto Tonks though.

Her fundamental worldview would have to have changed for her to be truly redeemed, and I couldn't see that happening. Especially not post-Azkaban, after the Dementors were through with her.

-I didn't read anyone else's responses before I wrote this, I'm going to go back and look through it now. So if I wrote something identical to what someone else did, well, I agree completely!-