Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   Muggle Studies (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   "A Very Potter Musical" (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=122481)

skullangel July 13th, 2008 11:14 pm

Harry Potter the Musical? Watch it or Not?

There is talk Harry Potter the Muscial... Would you watch it?

http://www.sundaymirror.co.uk/news/s...8487-19689251/

Would'nt it be interesting to see some of the cast that could carry a note sing in it? If so who would you think do great on London's West End or Broadway?

Heck if they turned Lord of the Rings and Star Wars into a muscial why not Harry Potter!...

Next thing you know they'll turn the muscial into another Film!

tjd8591 July 17th, 2008 5:10 am

Re: Harry Potter the Musical? Watch it or Not?

Honestly, it would all depend on who's composing the music. But since I love HP so much, I'd probably end up seeing it anyway, even if it turned out to be terrible lol.

xhanax315 July 17th, 2008 5:27 am

Yep, Id probably end up going to see it too, no matter how horrible it turns out.

wickedwitch168 July 17th, 2008 5:35 am

I think HP as a musical would be fun to watch:)

jookyle July 17th, 2008 5:36 am

No.

hpkid421 July 17th, 2008 5:56 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jookyle (Post 5087124)
No.

wow :lol::tu:

yea id probably end up seeing it. Id probably find it funny

Queen_Princess July 17th, 2008 8:43 pm

I find it a stupid idea, to be honest with you guys. But I will see it anyway. It actually might turn out good. But a musical

Lillbet July 17th, 2008 9:17 pm

Interesting thought, but I doubt it will happen because:

A.) It's in the Mirror.

B.) The source is a "a theater insider".

And in general, all signs point to "no". Heck, I'd point to "no" with my own lil' finger too. What a truly awful idea! (Do I need to add "imho" or is it implicit here?) :p

GemmaBlack July 17th, 2008 9:22 pm

Ha. I'd watch it simply because it's Harry Potter not because I'd want to.

Lisa_Turpin July 17th, 2008 10:40 pm

I can't imagine how they would try to condense Harry Potter into a single musical, unless they just focused on the PS. Much as I love musicals and much as I love Harry, some things are just not meant to be, and this is one of those.

If it seriously did get produced, I might listen to the soundtrack on-line, but I doubt I would go see an HP musical unless it got superb reviews. (Which for some reason, I cannot imagine happening.)

Potter_fan July 17th, 2008 11:12 pm

NO NO NO A thousand times NOOOOOO

IF they DO make this into a musical I will hunt down the compoaser/director/WHOEVER and castrate him!!! (DON'T ask...)

this does NOT need to become a musical!!!

deansboy July 17th, 2008 11:44 pm

This is all a joke right? A musical? No, I honestly don't think it'd be done well.

sticky July 18th, 2008 12:03 am

Quote:

No.

Short..simple and to the point...I like :p :p

Hmm I'm not too fond of the whole musical side of theatre, but depending on how it was done depends on how successful it would be.
But otherwise...I don;t think so :rotfl:

Potter_fan July 18th, 2008 12:06 am

IDC if it sells out EVERY night...I will NEVER go see a MUSICAL of Harry Potter.

that's just :eeep:

AccioHP July 18th, 2008 12:49 am

I don't know if they'd ever do a musical of Harry Potter. I really don't know id I'd go see it or not. I don't think a Harry Potter musical would be that good :/
I guess you never know though.

Lorride July 18th, 2008 12:54 am

First of all, no! It would be absolutely ludicrous.

I have watched two musicals in my life, Fame in London and some other show in Oslo (Can't remember it's name, but it's British and kind of famous). Long story short... I "hated" it.

Potter_fan July 18th, 2008 1:06 am

I don't mind Musicals...High School Musical...dang only one that comes to mind...but I KNOW I've seen others :lol:

but a Harry Potter Musical is just to HORENDIOUS to think about.....

Snivelly July 18th, 2008 1:17 am

Um, no. Though I suppose I shouldn't really be that close-minded, who knows how it may turn out? ;) But seriously, I thought the Mirror is a tabloid, and not exactly trustworthy; I'm taking the news with a grain of salt at the moment until we get some confirmation.

Raven_Girly July 18th, 2008 12:56 pm

Quote:

No.

Yeah, that basically sums up my thoughts on this. :lol: Seriously, I'm hoping this is just some horrible, horrible rumour. I have nothing against musicals - there are some great ones out there - but I honestly see no way that a Harry Potter musical can be watchable for me. Gosh, please no...:shrug:

Montse July 18th, 2008 1:24 pm

Voldemort singing?
musical spells?
no way!

LoonyMagic July 18th, 2008 1:27 pm

I think it depends on what kind of plot they were thinking of. But, to be honest, the idea doesn't really appeal to me and I'd be scared that it would be given too much creative licence.

Riochet July 18th, 2008 4:53 pm

It depends if it's done tastefully.
Who'd have thought someone could make a successful musical from a story of a serial killer and a pie maker? Sweeney Todd got brilliant reviews, and this shows in it's ticket sales.
It obviously wouldn't have any dramatic songs - the songs could come give comedic value. Vernon and Petunia could have a song, ordering Harry around. If written and composed well, this would be great to watch (in words it doesn't sound good - but just think about it).

The point is, don't be so close-minded. My original reaction was "OMGZ *** NOOOO?!?!?!?!****eoneelevenonehunder11!!1WW22"?" as well, but on reflection it's not a bad idea. It doesn't have to be one that relies on the songs to tell the story - just to help make it a good performance.

Besides, we could have Hoggywarty Hogwarts, the Sorting hat's song, and an extended version of the Golblin's singing their warning. It really could work. There are obviously certain characters that shouldn't sing at all - Snape, Quirrel, Mc Gonnogal etc. But if used tastefully, I think it could be great :)

/rant

Mrs_D_Malfoy July 18th, 2008 4:57 pm

woah no way! it's not that i mind musicals or anything but harry potter? i think anything that was a book should not be a musical, it's way too weird. :p

Potter_fan July 18th, 2008 4:59 pm

no just no.....

I do not think a musical could work.....I mean look at what all the cut out of the movies from the books.....they would have to cut out WAY too much to avoid people sitting for hours and hours and hours...and a few hundred more hours....

It just wouldn't work..and only doing like SS/PS isn't good either cuz then what about the other 6 books?

sunshinehannah July 18th, 2008 6:01 pm

Yeahhh, I'd definately go and see it! I think it sounds really cool!!
xx

sticky July 18th, 2008 6:20 pm

I can imagine it now...a much longer version and adapted version of the Mysterious ticking noise :rotfl:

Snape...snape..severus snape..:lol:

fattoad July 18th, 2008 6:25 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sticky (Post 5088355)
I can imagine it now...a much longer version and adapted version of the Mysterious ticking noise :rotfl:

Snape...snape..severus snape..:lol:

:lol:

Voldemort, voldemort, ooh voldie voldie voldemort! :D

I think it sounds kind of crazy tbh. I mean, a musical?! I really can't imagine any of the charcters singing.

I'd probably watch it so I can laugh at it. :yuhup:

Potter_fan July 18th, 2008 6:27 pm

Dumbledore!!!

Slytherngoddess July 19th, 2008 9:07 pm

I'm not a musical fan. At all. So no. Don't care that it's Harry Potter. There's still an overall chance that I'd be bored to death JUST BECAUSE it's a musical.

Klio July 19th, 2008 9:14 pm

hmmmm.

Colour me a sceptic.
LotR was a bit of a train wreck, as far as I am aware. I thought about going for a long time, but after collecting a lot of information from all sorts of soruces (including many LotR fans who went to see it) I made a very informed decision (IMHO) that it would be a waste of my money.

I can't see how Harry Potter (especially the WHOLE series?!!) could possibly be turned into something any more sensible.

I am sure there are real musical fans (I like some musicals, but am not a particular fan of the genre as a whole) may well enjoy it. But I really think that this smacks of cheap cashing-in. :no:

Potter_fan July 19th, 2008 10:42 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slytherngoddess (Post 5089302)
I'm not a musical fan. At all. So no. Don't care that it's Harry Potter. There's still an overall chance that I'd be bored to death JUST BECAUSE it's a musical.

I do not have a problem with the fact it is a musical....I only have a problem with Harry Potter can not correctly be turned INTO a musicl without cutting out too much info OR making the patrions sit for a few hundred hours...

I would see this failing on an EPIC lvl...

wickedwickedboy July 19th, 2008 10:56 pm

Like a Rock Opera? Sort of like that old musical Jesus Christ, Superstar? I don't know. Perhaps as a frivolus comedy with a frolicking trio, break dancing Dumbledore, tap dancing Snape and Voldemort the ballerina. I guess the Marauders and Lily could do modern dance and Neville and Luna some sort of ballroom thing. But it would be funny even if a serious undertaking. All in opera:

Voldemort: "I'mmmmmmmmmmmm going to Killlllllllllllllllllllllllll you!"

Harry: "Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo-ooo-ooooo"

Bella: Crucio - crucio - cruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-uuu--uu-uuuu-uu-cioooooooo!!!

ArryGrotter July 19th, 2008 11:39 pm

Only if it's a good musical....

(Which isn't very likely :lol:)

stephndel July 20th, 2008 3:26 am

I love musicals... but... I seriously can't imagine how HP could translate into one... It would take some pretty clever writing and casting to make it credible and do the story justice, and I cringe at the thought of how badly it could be messed up!! :no: :no: :no:

If it happened (and if it came to Australia) then I would definitely go see it, but the thought scares me at the same time...

(I can't imagine LOTR as a musical either... had no idea it had happened!!)

LordThingy July 20th, 2008 4:19 am

I think this sounds like a really bad idea... personally. I doubt I would see it.

Slytherngoddess July 20th, 2008 5:16 am

Even if I don't have to sit through 5+ hours, I still wouldn't go. There'd probably be no point since I'm sure a lot of things would be left out.

ReginaRavenclaw July 20th, 2008 6:41 am

This just can't be true. I mean, eew. But I would probably see it against my will. It's Harry.

SweaterVest014 July 20th, 2008 4:16 pm

I would watch it for laughs. :)

Bunny July 20th, 2008 8:18 pm

I'm not a fan of musicals, and the thought of HP being made into a musical frightens me.

No, no, no, no, no ... but then, a lot of people do like them, so ...

Klio July 20th, 2008 8:36 pm

I just realised something.....

Just thinking of the many complaints about cuts in the movies .... Just imagine what most HP fans would say about a musical that (say) squeezes all seven volumes into three hours or so! :lol:

eaglestreasure July 20th, 2008 9:55 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by skullangel (Post 5084260)

http://www.sundaymirror.co.uk/news/s...8487-19689251/

Would'nt it be interesting to see some of the cast that could carry a note sing in it? If so who would you think do great on London's West End or Broadway?

Heck if they turned Lord of the Rings and Star Wars into a muscial why not Harry Potter!...

Next thing you know they'll turn the muscial into another Film!

Huh. I hate all the HSM and HSM2 and HSM3 gossip and excitement. I love musicals in general, just not ones targeted at 11 year old girls. :(

I would DEFINITELY see it out of curiosity, though - HP + musical = ????

Also I happen to think that with this type of thing, it would either be super super awesome or really really Rita Skeeter style bad.

Raven_Girly July 21st, 2008 4:02 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riochet (Post 5088226)
It depends if it's done tastefully.
Who'd have thought someone could make a successful musical from a story of a serial killer and a pie maker? Sweeney Todd got brilliant reviews, and this shows in it's ticket sales.

Good point but I am yet to see Sweeney Todd for myself so I can't personally say that I think it was well done or not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riochet (Post 5088226)
It obviously wouldn't have any dramatic songs - the songs could come give comedic value. Vernon and Petunia could have a song, ordering Harry around. If written and composed well, this would be great to watch (in words it doesn't sound good - but just think about it).

It sounds ever-so-slighty more appealing as a comedy rather than an actual dramatic representation of the books. You had some good ideas there but I still don't think it is be something I would be willing to pay money to watch. I'm just trying to imagine Snape or Voldemort singing...:lol:

MrCornflake July 21st, 2008 5:28 am

Oh no.... a tragic singing Lord Voldemort ? I just can't imagine that. :huh:

Marina October 31st, 2008 8:19 pm

Hmmm...Harry Potter as a musical will probably turn into a really awful flop with so much cut (especially trying to squeeze all seven books in a 2 hour musical! Les Miserables was one thing...but HP?!), that it makes PoA look like it has still retained the Marauder history! ;) Think about all the stuff in each book!

Philosopher/Sorceror's Stone:
1. The Beginning: Dumbledore and McGonagall discussing what happened on that fateful night is vital. Otherwise, Harry would just seem like your ordinary young British lad who just happens to have more nasty-than-usual caregivers. :p

2. Introduction of a slew of other characters: Neville, Ron (and I suppose the other Weasleys), Malfoy, Crabbe, Goyle, Hagrid, etc.

3. Sorting Hat song: well, one could leave it out, but it's a song... ;)

4. The Sorting--when all those students are sorted into Gryffindor, Slytherin, Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw. Moreover, the intro of those four houses and what makes them different.

5. Quidditch.

6. Hermione's redemption thanks to a 12-foot Mountain Troll.

7. The Invisiblity Cloak plot point (seeing as it's a Deathly Hallow it's vitally important). And how would they pull it off anyway? It's not like the actor can see if they put a sheet over their heads: they might fall off the stage! :scared: Sure, they can cut eyeholes in the fabric, but they'd just look like a ghost.

8. Quirrell. We need him. And Snape!

9. Of course, the Philosopher's Stone itself.

10. The challenges (like the Devil's Snare) to get to the Philosopher's Stone.

Chamber of Secrets:

1. Dobby.

2. Flying Car.

3. Gilderoy Lockhart is vital!

4. The whole petrification mystery.

5. Harry speaking parseltongue of course. That's very vital.

6. The Chamber of Secrets, and the whole drama that carries on in there.

7. Ginny, Ginny, Ginny.

8. The diary--it's a horcrux! We need Riddle's diary.

9. And how in heaven's name would you pull off the Basilisk?!

10. Fawkes. We need Fawkes.

Prisoner of Azkaban:

1. Aunt Marge bloating up like a balloon. How would they pull it off? Have stage hands rush onstage and hurriedly put pillows on her?

2. Lupiiinnn!! *snaps out of fangirl mode* I mean...Remus John Lupin. ;)

3. The Dementors, for sure.

4. The Marauder's Map, and the history behind it.

5. How do you pull off a werewolf transformation may I ask?

6. And I'd like to ask the same for Pettigrew's transformation from rat to human.

7. The prophecy Trelawney makes (the one she makes in PoA, not the one she made about Harry)

8. Buckbeak. We need Buckbeak--very vital plot point!

9. Sirius Black. We NEED the man! (As every fangirl knows!)

Goblet of Fire: *cringe*

1. Quidditch World Cup. Enough said, ja?

2. The whole drama after the QWC when the deatheaters gatecrash the party, right down to the Dark Mark.

3. The argument between Harry and Ron that puts a wedge in their friendship for the time being.

4. Beauxbatons and Durmstrang.

5. The First Task (impossible to pull off onstage).

6. The Second Task (extremely impossible to do on a mere stage).

7. The Third Task (All you have to do is go to Centre Stage and you'll find the egg in four steps! :p Plus, you got all those creatures!)

8. Voldemort's rebirth--and how would you pull off Pettigrew's slicing off his hand?

9. Fake!Mad-Eye's transformation. Even the most modern theatre surely couldn't pull that off in a hundred years. Well, in a hundred years maybe...

10. The actor will need a twin to stand in as Real!Mad-Eye :err:

11. The oral obituary Dumbledore gives about Cedric.

12. The whole thing with Harry giving the Twins the Triwizard prize money. Important plot point as it contributes to them opening their shop.

13. Overload of other reasons.

Order of the Phoenix:

1. The whole thing about Neville's parents.

2. Harry's Hearing.

3. Grimmauld Place, plus Kreacher.

4. Umbridge (how they will pull off the detention scene, I have no idea).

5. The Veil! It's going to be ridiculous: "now all you have to do is just fall back on the curtain. Everyone will still see you, but just pretend you're actually dead, okay?" :scared:

6. The different rooms in the Department of Mysteries, especially the Prophecy room.

7. And a whole other slew of important events/stuff

I would continue onto HBP and DH, but I think this is enough to convince me that it would be impossible to turn into a sucessful musical without it flopping over faster than a lead balloon under very strong gravity.

PureBloodGirl October 31st, 2008 8:48 pm

Harry Potter the Musical? Is that a joke? I say don't watch it.

LilyLunaPotter November 27th, 2008 12:13 am

It would be weird, and I dont like musicals, but seeing as it's Harry Potter, Id have to say yes, I propably would!

Nympfadora13 November 27th, 2008 1:22 am

A Harry Potter musical?! :rotfl: That would be so funny! I would like to watch that! :lol::D

vampiricduck November 27th, 2008 2:40 am

It would be rather weird, but I'd like to think that as long as the songs were good and strong and the acting good, I would probably go- even if just for the novelty. :D

PureBloodGirl November 27th, 2008 3:02 am

I'd probably be laughing at it the whole time. It's sure to be cheesy. No doubt about that. What would the songs be about? How would they fit in? Oh my goodness! Just imagine Lord Voldemort singing about killing Harry Potter and making horcruxes. :rotfl: That'd be hilarious!

Nympfadora13 November 27th, 2008 3:23 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by PureBloodGirl (Post 5190960)
I'd probably be laughing at it the whole time. It's sure to be cheesy. No doubt about that. What would the songs be about? How would they fit in? Oh my goodness! Just imagine Lord Voldemort singing about killing Harry Potter and making horcruxes. :rotfl: That'd be hilarious!

That would be hilarious! I would probably laugh through the whole thing too! Imagine Dumbledore singing! :rotfl:

Thoive November 27th, 2008 3:36 am

This would be very strange, but anything can happen... Harry Potter: The Musical I don't think I'd be too upset about because it's naturally dramatic and a big production, although unless it was done really well I think it'd be super cheesy. I can't imagine how they'd do the spells and that sort of thing. I can really only see them doing the first book as a musical... DH would be kind of hard. Or are they going to try and squeeze all of the books into one play? They'd need a really good playwright and composer to do it, otherwise I can't ssee it doing well. OF course, if it did and it ever showed up near me, no matter how bad or good it was I'd probably end up seeing it. :p

Jack5555 November 28th, 2008 3:12 am

I would defiantly see it. I love musicals, and I think if they did it right, it could work.

DorthyGale November 28th, 2008 8:17 am

Haha! oh my. To be honest, I think it would be too complicated to put everything in the stories into song. It would all just over do it self. I mean, there could be fun oppurtunities for songs in there but, I think it would be overblown.

Pearl_Took November 28th, 2008 10:15 am

Well, I totally scoffed at the idea of LotR being made into a musical but, actually, it did kind of work. Kind of. The visuals and special effects were marvellous and some aspects of Tolkien's story were actually done very well on stage. :)

However, overall, I think it failed, as an artistic endeavour :shrug: It was an honourable attempt, and the music was good :), but it was very much an adaptation aimed at book fans (or people who at least had seen Peter Jackson's film versions) and didn't translate into a coherent narrative on stage. People who didn't know the story had no clue what was going on, which contrasted sharply with the favourable reaction of huge numbers of non-fans to Jackson's films. I did enjoy the LotR musical ... but not as much as I enjoyed Jackson's films.

My initial reaction to the idea of an HP musical is 'you have to be kidding me'. :lol:

However, I suppose it could work, if you had someone who was prepared to take a radical approach in order to make the narrative work on stage.

In order to make LotR work more successfully as a musical, an even more radical approach was needed than Peter Jackson took in his films: you have to strip the story right down to its bare essentials, Frodo and the Ring, basically. A film adaptation is a 'faster' medium, able to provide more information on a sensory level in a much shorter space of time, so it can actually cover a lot more material.

I think Harry would need the same treatment: strip the story right down to its bare essentials, Harry versus Voldemort, strip out tons of secondary characters (keep Ron and Hermione but Ginny, Luna and Nev should be bit parts and nothing more) and bring Dumbledore and Snape into the foreground. Make it a lean, mean, streamlined narrative, and quite dark, with that tragic backstory (Lily and James) as a dark undercurrent.

It could be quite good. :cool:

lilyrose November 28th, 2008 1:48 pm

Er...Musical what??:wow:

I cant actually imagine HP being made into a Musical .It is sort of weird and might I add, funny to me. I might still just watch it because it is after all, something related to Harry Potter. But I'm not really looking forward to it or anything..:relax:

lil_snuffles November 28th, 2008 3:24 pm

I would probably see it because curiosity would get the best of me. Also because I'm a big Harry Potter fan and would like to see something different in the Potter universe.

luna_luvgood123 December 3rd, 2008 3:37 pm

i like musicals... maybe not H.P. though...

well.... no, i would watch it, and if it was bad, which most likely it would be, then i dont have to watch it anymore. ah, the power of the remote. xD

Voldemorts8thHorcrux December 6th, 2008 12:51 am

I'm pretty wary about this :lol:. Wicked got turned into a musical, and it's only one book and completely different from the musical. I'd probably watch it anyways though :p

Harry852 December 6th, 2008 3:02 am

It might be interesting, but I wouldn't. :lol:

RebeccaMatthews December 8th, 2008 3:24 am

Nope. There's no way I can see a HP musical. Little skits for Youtube yes, but an actual production..... *shakes head*

skrewtmaster December 12th, 2008 9:07 am

I think I'd melt. A musical would be taking the whole HP thing too far. I might go watch just to grumble about today's society.that's all.

tsugaru7reveng December 13th, 2008 1:31 am

I'd watch it if the music is speed metal or thrash metal or any of that awesome style.

Nah, I'd watch it as long as it doesn't turn out to be as gay as High School Musical.

vampiricduck December 13th, 2008 1:41 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by PureBloodGirl (Post 5190960)

Potter Puppet Pals probably gives the best idea of how this entire idea might turn out.. ;)

The Mysterious Ticking Noise!! :D

MoonStarRaven December 13th, 2008 4:57 am

:hmm: I just can't seem to wrap my mind around how that could possible work? At least not as a musical... A theatrical play, maybe, but a musical? :err:
The only musical I can think of is West Side Story... OH great that's a mental image I didn't need, Voldemort dancing around singing "When your a death eater your a death eater all the way From your first cigarette
To your last dyin' day...." :scared:

eaglestreasure December 13th, 2008 5:29 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by skrewtmaster (Post 5200259)
I think I'd melt. A musical would be taking the whole HP thing too far. I might go watch just to grumble about today's society.that's all.

OH CHILD!!!!!!:td:

Please. No. More. Musicals!!!

High School Musical 1: A poor effort with annoying music
High School Musical 2: A better effort with bad acting
High School Musical 3: This movie was made for the sake of money. The quality reflects it!

Camp Rock: The worst movie/musical effort I've EVER seen.

Ok, look. Seriously now. I would watch it, because I believe in giving things a fair chance, and Harry Potter rocks. But if this isn't just as good or better than Singing in the Rain (:love: -- 5 stars) then I'm gonna gag and barf all over this...

luna_luvgood123 December 13th, 2008 8:43 pm

id watch it, maybe....

skrewtmaster December 15th, 2008 9:40 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by eaglestreasure (Post 5200718)
Please. No. More. Musicals!!!

High School Musical 1: A poor effort with annoying music
High School Musical 2: A better effort with bad acting
High School Musical 3: This movie was made for the sake of money. The quality reflects it!

Camp Rock: The worst movie/musical effort I've EVER seen.

Can these really be classed as musicals? I think not. Really it's an opportunity to bleed parents dry as their kids demand all the useless merchandise. If there ever was a Harry Potter Musical you can bet your bottom dollar (lol just realised that that's from Annie!) that making money would be number one priority instead of providing quality entertainment.

Silver_Doe December 16th, 2008 2:38 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by PureBloodGirl
I'd probably be laughing at it the whole time. It's sure to be cheesy. No doubt about that. What would the songs be about? How would they fit in? Oh my goodness! Just imagine Lord Voldemort singing about killing Harry Potter and making horcruxes. That'd be hilarious!
haha.. I laughed at the thread title, I definitely don't think I could take the musical seriously. I just can't picture Harry dancing around on a stage singing about Voldemort... and a dancing, SINGING Voldemort?! I think I'd lose it.

DorthyGale December 16th, 2008 8:26 am

I would be interested in the music in the Deathly Hallows!! I mean imagine the song ideas for that? Haha.

I would love a Harry singing about Ginny song too!

"There she is in the hallway making out with other boys....Oh Ginny, why do I all of a sudden love you"

Haha

Nympfadora13 December 19th, 2008 3:18 am

Quote:

I would be interested in the music in the Deathly Hallows!! I mean imagine the song ideas for that? Haha.

I would love a Harry singing about Ginny song too!

"There she is in the hallway making out with other boys....Oh Ginny, why do I all of a sudden love you"

I would love that, too. I would like a Ron and Hermione song. Them singing togather would be so sweet!

skullangel December 19th, 2008 5:25 am

Now theres a scary thought... Turning Harry Potter series looking like High School Muscial!

Now thats creepy!

NauticalAcronym December 23rd, 2008 4:33 am

Honestly, I would love them to do it just for the sake of DOING it. Just to give it a go and see what happened and what sort of a product came out of it. Even if it wasn't great I think it would be a shame NOT to give it a try. Who knows, it could be terrible, but it could be amazing; there is no way of telling unless they give it a go. :P
(I just had a weird image of Snape performing Thriller in my head :D)
Like what one poster said earlier about Petunia and Vernon singing and ordering Harry about the house! I can see it so beautifully! Or a little Harry who has just been thrown into his cupboard starts to sing a sad little song only to be interrupted by his Uncle and thrown out to start more chores. He he he!!! I keep hearing "Castle on a Cloud".
There is also the part where Harry is on that island singing "Happy Birthday" to Himself, which could be transformed into a whole song with a sort of Happy Birthday theme but with little additions by Harry!
lol, I'm getting way too excited right now!
Ending post...
Now.

Caliope December 23rd, 2008 4:43 am

No. Just....no.

skullangel December 23rd, 2008 5:56 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NauticalAcronym (Post 5205992)
Honestly, I would love them to do it just for the sake of DOING it. Just to give it a go and see what happened and what sort of a product came out of it. Even if it wasn't great I think it would be a shame NOT to give it a try. Who knows, it could be terrible, but it could be amazing; there is no way of telling unless they give it a go. :P
(I just had a weird image of Snape performing Thriller in my head :D)
Like what one poster said earlier about Petunia and Vernon singing and ordering Harry about the house! I can see it so beautifully! Or a little Harry who has just been thrown into his cupboard starts to sing a sad little song only to be interrupted by his Uncle and thrown out to start more chores. He he he!!! I keep hearing "Castle on a Cloud".
There is also the part where Harry is on that island singing "Happy Birthday" to Himself, which could be transformed into a whole song with a sort of Happy Birthday theme but with little additions by Harry!
lol, I'm getting way too excited right now!
Ending post...
Now.

Youre right we wont know till someone tries... Heck as far as we know it could be like High School musical and as many dont like it it was a financial success... Much to the chagrin of those that dont like it... In my view after DH we all dont have much to look forward to anymore so if someone came to do a HP ala high school musical its better that nothing right... They just have to make it accurate to make sure us old time fans stay fans.

NauticalAcronym December 23rd, 2008 3:50 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by skullangel (Post 5206021)
Youre right we wont know till someone tries... Heck as far as we know it could be like High School musical and as many dont like it it was a financial success... Much to the chagrin of those that dont like it... In my view after DH we all dont have much to look forward to anymore so if someone came to do a HP ala high school musical its better that nothing right... They just have to make it accurate to make sure us old time fans stay fans.

I have never seen High School Musical. It seemed... frightening. It wasn't on my list of films to watch, but I should probably see it even if I don't end up liking it. You never know, I might find a gem in there somewhere :P
You are right about the whole DH thing. Once it's out this is over unless people keep trying to do something new and unique with it.
I think the great part about song is that you can add (probably more) detail than in just a straightforward movie. Because in a song you can sing something that normally wouldn't be said out loud. A good example would be when Harry saw Prof. Snape's memories of James. In the movie his feelings about his little expedition into SWM are completely shoved aside and are not even questioned, but in the book (if I recall correctly) Harry was suddenly confused and ceased to idolize his father. I think he even compares his father to Dudley(?) (correct me if I'm wrong I haven't read the book in some time)
So, in a musical, you could mention these character developments without having to SHOW something all the time which is of course the problem (I think) with a lot of the movies. Emotion sometimes seems to get glossed over in the films and this is sort of an interesting way to liberate those thoughts and feelings.
Though, I think it would take someone with a lot of love for the books to get it right and someone who has a firm grasp on the difference between lovely and cheesy.
(And someone who can give Prof. McGonagall a Scottish jig part :P jk!)

skullangel December 26th, 2008 9:00 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NauticalAcronym (Post 5206131)
I have never seen High School Musical. It seemed... frightening. It wasn't on my list of films to watch, but I should probably see it even if I don't end up liking it. You never know, I might find a gem in there somewhere :P
You are right about the whole DH thing. Once it's out this is over unless people keep trying to do something new and unique with it.
I think the great part about song is that you can add (probably more) detail than in just a straightforward movie. Because in a song you can sing something that normally wouldn't be said out loud. A good example would be when Harry saw Prof. Snape's memories of James. In the movie his feelings about his little expedition into SWM are completely shoved aside and are not even questioned, but in the book (if I recall correctly) Harry was suddenly confused and ceased to idolize his father. I think he even compares his father to Dudley(?) (correct me if I'm wrong I haven't read the book in some time)
So, in a musical, you could mention these character developments without having to SHOW something all the time which is of course the problem (I think) with a lot of the movies. Emotion sometimes seems to get glossed over in the films and this is sort of an interesting way to liberate those thoughts and feelings.
Though, I think it would take someone with a lot of love for the books to get it right and someone who has a firm grasp on the difference between lovely and cheesy.
(And someone who can give Prof. McGonagall a Scottish jig part :P jk!)

You're quite right and on-to something about this... Now that I think back to school, musicals often work right when a character expressing something... Music alows a character to express inner emitions, like singing a melancholy love song for ginny about the monster in his chest or how they would have to break up... Whatever... In fact I am starting to become a believer... With the right music and songs... Maybe it isnt so Horrific if they patterend it to High School musical... But not cheesy and gay... Maybe a lot like Phantom of the Opera or Moulin Rouge or even Chicago.

CissyBella January 3rd, 2009 9:12 pm

I love Harry Potter and I love musicals but I don't think there's any way they could condense everything inot 2 acts. I have my own idea for a Potter-inspired musical.

skullangel January 3rd, 2009 10:19 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CissyBella (Post 5212620)
I love Harry Potter and I love musicals but I don't think there's any way they could condense everything inot 2 acts. I have my own idea for a Potter-inspired musical.

C'mon share it! Personally i've been starting to warm up to it, and i see it as a darker version Highschool Musical meets Phantom of the Opera. And I see it as a mini-series.

CissyBella January 3rd, 2009 10:29 pm

Ok...I tried writing Marauders: the Musical, but the Slytherins kept taking over the plot, so I've changed the title to Dark Mark. It spans the rise and fall of Voldemort.

Pigwijon January 4th, 2009 12:27 am

Uh....no....I mean, a Harry Potter Musical??? That would be....uh...very interesting! funny, at least :D WEell, i guess mini parts would be okay, but i can't really picture it

NauticalAcronym January 6th, 2009 12:07 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by skullangel (Post 5207709)
You're quite right and on-to something about this... Now that I think back to school, musicals often work right when a character expressing something... Music alows a character to express inner emitions, like singing a melancholy love song for ginny about the monster in his chest or how they would have to break up... Whatever... In fact I am starting to become a believer... With the right music and songs... Maybe it isnt so Horrific if they patterend it to High School musical... But not cheesy and gay... Maybe a lot like Phantom of the Opera or Moulin Rouge or even Chicago.

I'm glad that I am making a believer out of you :)
In all honesty I was really sad when I didn't think anyone was responding because I have so much enthusiasm for this topic while others seem to... ignore it :lol:
I think it would be neat if some people who knew how to do these things (write music, choreograph/block theater, act, design props, write etc.) got together and just made a sample of an HP musical. A single scene in one of the books that was reworked and recorded. I think it would be neat to see HP fanfilms. God knows, I watch so many Star Trek fan-films I'm starting to get a headache :rolleyes: it might be nice to see something different for a change.
I'm moving to Vancouver soon and I know a few talented people myself. I might see if I can coerce ummm... I mean implore them for help. It would be a big job, but I think I may be able to find people who are just as enthusiastic as myself.
lol, I just had an image in my head of Snape going around the castle singing "When You're Evil" by Voltaire! Hahahaha! I would never do that, but it is quite amusing... in my mind anyways. (Tripping McGonagall down the stairs XD I swear, I really do love her, it just fits the song is all!)
That Dark Mark musical sounds interesting! Kudos to you! :)

eaglestreasure January 6th, 2009 12:59 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by skrewtmaster (Post 5201665)
Can these really be classed as musicals? I think not. Really it's an opportunity to bleed parents dry as their kids demand all the useless merchandise. If there ever was a Harry Potter Musical you can bet your bottom dollar (lol just realised that that's from Annie!) that making money would be number one priority instead of providing quality entertainment.

High School Musical? Uh, that's what I thought they were.........

Well, and that's what I think would make this whole thing annoying and unwatchable -- there would be little entertainment value, or as little as could be got away with and still have money made!

skullangel January 6th, 2009 12:49 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NauticalAcronym (Post 5213905)
I'm glad that I am making a believer out of you :)
In all honesty I was really sad when I didn't think anyone was responding because I have so much enthusiasm for this topic while others seem to... ignore it :lol:
I think it would be neat if some people who knew how to do these things (write music, choreograph/block theater, act, design props, write etc.) got together and just made a sample of an HP musical. A single scene in one of the books that was reworked and recorded. I think it would be neat to see HP fanfilms. God knows, I watch so many Star Trek fan-films I'm starting to get a headache :rolleyes: it might be nice to see something different for a change.
I'm moving to Vancouver soon and I know a few talented people myself. I might see if I can coerce ummm... I mean implore them for help. It would be a big job, but I think I may be able to find people who are just as enthusiastic as myself.
lol, I just had an image in my head of Snape going around the castle singing "When You're Evil" by Voltaire! Hahahaha! I would never do that, but it is quite amusing... in my mind anyways. (Tripping McGonagall down the stairs XD I swear, I really do love her, it just fits the song is all!)
That Dark Mark musical sounds interesting! Kudos to you! :)

The sad fact is when people hear musical they think...

Keep it gay!

Well it worked for the "Producers" But if they wanted to be taken seriously by true fans, do it like High School Musical meets Phantom of the Opera and Chicago darker and more depressing at certain parts... But keep the singing down to the parts where its needed, and keep Voldemort from singing...

I remember once reading Springtime for Voldemort is not a good idea for a school play...

NauticalAcronym January 6th, 2009 5:23 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by skullangel (Post 5214142)
The sad fact is when people hear musical they think...

Keep it gay!

Well it worked for the "Producers" But if they wanted to be taken seriously by true fans, do it like High School Musical meets Phantom of the Opera and Chicago darker and more depressing at certain parts... But keep the singing down to the parts where its needed, and keep Voldemort from singing...

I remember once reading Springtime for Voldemort is not a good idea for a school play...

I completely agree. There are some people who just WOULDN'T sing (Voldemort singing would be... questionable and perhaps a snickering moment). I think you can still pull off some people you wouldn't expect singing, but the key to that is that when they sing they have to sound like themselves. Make sure that the personality of the individual is very evident in the way it is written and how it is performed.
A darker musical would be really neat, even for the first couple of books because, lets face it, CoS could be much darker if it was done for an older audience.
:)

skullangel January 6th, 2009 10:49 pm

Instead of singing Voldemort... I remember an old play My Fairlady we where required to review it way back when as I recall Rex Harrison didnt do any singing... His song is a speach with musical accompaniment so it didnt look like singing.

NauticalAcronym January 7th, 2009 9:53 pm

I'm going to have to watch "My Fair Lady" again some day!
I can't believe I don't own it as I have a huge crush on Jeremy Brett :P
Hmmm, I like that idea! It would keep the reserved and more severe characters in their places, making it far more interesting and far less giggle inducing. A very good idea :)

skullangel January 7th, 2009 10:18 pm

Thank You, I just hope someone picks up the Idea and runs with it as i said once and say it again once deathly hallows gets shown... We're all left in the curb with nothing to look forward to.

PureBloodGirl January 31st, 2009 6:30 pm

Hurray! :clap: Harry Potter the Musical is a no go. This is very good news because IMO, it would have been a complete disaster.

CissyBella February 5th, 2009 10:04 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by skullangel (Post 5214843)
Thank You, I just hope someone picks up the Idea and runs with it as i said once and say it again once deathly hallows gets shown... We're all left in the curb with nothing to look forward to.

yes...In my Potter-inspired musical Dark Mark, Voldemort does not sing per se. Tom Riddle has two or three songs in the first act but after the transformation to voldemort, he mainly just yells with music backing him.

skullangel February 5th, 2009 10:13 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CissyBella (Post 5230345)
yes...In my Potter-inspired musical Dark Mark, Voldemort does not sing per se. Tom Riddle has two or three songs in the first act but after the transformation to voldemort, he mainly just yells with music backing him.

Not a bad idea! Hmm... Do you have a song where he blatantly talks about muggle suppression? That I feel would make a scary number.

CissyBella February 5th, 2009 10:55 pm

not at the moment, though I can add one later on if you like...the theme of Dark Mark leans mor toward those of duality and bravado through the prime examples of the Slytherin men (Tom, Lucius, Severus, Regulus, Draco) so I try to bring their internal conflict to the forefront rather than nefarious plotting.

Hysteria February 6th, 2009 1:45 am

This has got to be one of the silliest HP-related ideas so far.

skullangel February 6th, 2009 2:08 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CissyBella (Post 5230386)
not at the moment, though I can add one later on if you like...the theme of Dark Mark leans mor toward those of duality and bravado through the prime examples of the Slytherin men (Tom, Lucius, Severus, Regulus, Draco) so I try to bring their internal conflict to the forefront rather than nefarious plotting.

Thanks! Just keep it up... You'll find something to do with your script weather it gets shown at a local high school or something... Never know when it could be handy

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hysteria (Post 5230492)
This has got to be one of the silliest HP-related ideas so far.

Well if you keep it "GAY" as it where it would be a bad idea, but make it DARK foreboding and depressing would that make up for it?

As I always say after DH movies... We got nothing else to look forward to... Not unless someone makes an Animated series then we got something to watch.
-Or-
JKR gets someone ot co-write Potter... But that of course if off topic (Sorry)

Anyway... All we can hope for is someone out there comes with a winning solution for everyone to keep everyone satisfied and a fan.

LilCubanita67 February 10th, 2009 2:16 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by skullangel (Post 5084260)

I would DEFINITELY watch it if I had the opportunity to. But I would much rather see a Harry Potter version of Avenue Q...you know, HP characters as puppets singing and cracking jokes (but Avenue Q is basically adult humor, so they would be excluding a lot of HP fans). Watching Snape sing would be hilarious.

Hysteria February 10th, 2009 8:23 am

Quote:

skullangel
Well if you keep it "GAY" as it where it would be a bad idea, but make it DARK foreboding and depressing would that make up for it?
Nope. I don't care who the cast is, who writes, directs etc. I'm totally convinced it would be a huge blunder and a laughing stock. But that's just me.

tommypman February 11th, 2009 9:53 pm

I actually wouldn't mind seeing this. Mel Brooks could write it and turn it into a comedy.

Think about it...

Tap dancing death eaters. Got you hooked now don't I?

Labrynth February 12th, 2009 1:36 am

No. They can't all be Buffy musicals.

browneyedkat February 28th, 2009 9:25 pm

Oh my god!! I would totally watch a Harry Potter musical!!!!

Pearl_Took February 28th, 2009 10:41 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LilCubanita67 (Post 5232618)
I would DEFINITELY watch it if I had the opportunity to. But I would much rather see a Harry Potter version of Avenue Q...you know, HP characters as puppets singing and cracking jokes (but Avenue Q is basically adult humor, so they would be excluding a lot of HP fans). Watching Snape sing would be hilarious.

Awesome. :lol: I would totally watch that. :rotfl: :tu:

JustAnIllusion June 25th, 2009 1:58 am

If anybody wants to see what a Harry Potter musical might look like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JnQuMyzPfE

That's just the first part of part one, but the rest are available on YouTube.