Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   Divination Studies (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5 (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=101059)

Vicious_Tuna May 29th, 2007 3:57 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5

(i dunno if this has been posted before, but here goes) Harry won't die! I came to this conclusion as I was rereading sorcerer's stone. On page 262 (American version), at the very beginning of the chapter 'Through the Trap Door' , Rowling writes: "In years to come, Harry would never quite remember how he had managed to get through his exams when he half expected Voldemort to come bursting through the door at any moment'"

I think the phrase "In years to come" would be more fitting for a significant amount of time (which would indicate that Harry will live to adulthood), rather than a span of 6 or less years.

Lillbet May 29th, 2007 4:30 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicious_Tuna (Post 4535760)
(i dunno if this has been posted before, but here goes) Harry won't die! I came to this conclusion as I was rereading sorcerer's stone. On page 262 (American version), at the very beginning of the chapter 'Through the Trap Door' , Rowling writes: "In years to come, Harry would never quite remember how he had managed to get through his exams when he half expected Voldemort to come bursting through the door at any moment'"

I think the phrase "In years to come" would be more fitting for a significant amount of time (which would indicate that Harry will live to adulthood), rather than a span of 6 or less years.

Hmmm... possibly. :hmm:

scienceofsleep May 29th, 2007 4:57 am

I think its almost a sort of "i owe you a LIFE" thing when it comes to Harry. He's no longer the boy who lived, he's the boy who deserves to live. Every time he beats voldemort i dont think JKR is telling us "at one point he'll beat him and die" its more of a "voldemort and harry both grow powerful, but the last battle will leave one standing". i think thats the biggest thing in the harry potter books, yeah evil has succeeded many times before but with consequences. harry's parents PAID already for voldemorts downfall. i dont think harry himself will have to give up his own life for voldemort to fall once again . every chapter in the book is written to show harry's strength as a person, his growth as a boy and the love he keeps finding. Killing off Harry is like blatantly stateing that he is a tragic hero with tragic flaws that caused his death. the mystery the HP books create isnt really about "will Voldy or Harry win at the end". its pretty clear that harry's going to win, the question is "How the hell is some 7th year boy going to defeat the dark lord, and whose lives will be sacrificed on the journey"

CharminglyYours May 29th, 2007 11:15 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by scienceofsleep (Post 4535902)
Every time he beats voldemort i dont think JKR is telling us "at one point he'll beat him and die" its more of a "voldemort and harry both grow powerful, but the last battle will leave one standing". i think thats the biggest thing in the harry potter books, yeah evil has succeeded many times before but with consequences. harry's parents PAID already for voldemorts downfall. i dont think harry himself will have to give up his own life for voldemort to fall once again . every chapter in the book is written to show harry's strength as a person, his growth as a boy and the love he keeps finding. Killing off Harry is like blatantly stateing that he is a tragic hero with tragic flaws that caused his death. the mystery the HP books create isnt really about "will Voldy or Harry win at the end". its pretty clear that harry's going to win, the question is "How the hell is some 7th year boy going to defeat the dark lord, and whose lives will be sacrificed on the journey"

Oh, I agree. And everytime Harry succeeded over Voldemort, it's like someone close to him paid the price, really.
Sirius, and Dumbledore, and his parents...
On a slightly different note, it's like these people have fallen for him and now he's just left standing, to fight Voldemort. I think he might have to sacrifice himself, to finally defeat Voldemort once and for all. I would absolutely hate it if Voldemort died and Harry lived and everything was dandy.

JustAnIllusion May 29th, 2007 11:54 pm

Harry should live. I think it'd be a slap in the face to all of us if he didn't. Of course it would be for the greater good, or something of that sort, with a deeper message implied... But wouldn't the better message be that good always triumphs over evil? That is the main theme of the book; Good vs. Evil. The other big theme is the power of love and family... And with the power of his mother's love, Harry will survive. If he doesn't, it just shows that his family sacrificed themselves for nothing, and the love that his mother gave him wasn't enough. He's the 'Boy Who Lived'. With death, he'd be the boy who died, which obviously is very morbid, indeed!

And finally, Jo's written so much about him over these years. I highly doubt she'd be able to kill somebody that she should love so dearly. She's got to love him about as much as we all do, if not more, and I can't imagine her killing him off. Look at Stranger Than Fiction, if you will. The author couldn't manage to kill the man off, for all the deeper meaning in the world. Of course that's where the similarities end, but it does compare, if you think about it...

Harry will [hopefully!] live. For all of our sakes =]

HMN May 30th, 2007 3:32 am

I have to write this, because I hope it does not happen, and I have to get it out of my head. I went and saw Beauty and the Beast on Broadway (New York City) this weekend (it's closing, so I took my daughter) and because I hadn't seen the Disney version of the story since it came out about 15 years ago I forgot about the ending. Gaston attacks the Beast and wounds him so badly that he dies - however Belle confesses her love just in time before the last petal of the enchanted rose falls - the Beast comes alive again when he is transformed into the Prince he always was...

So I couldn't get it out of my head, that it IS a possibility that 1. Harry's scar does contain a bit of Voldemort's soul, and if he was killed, it could be that the LV soul bit is what dies leaving Harry alive or 2. Harry comes around and finds love for someone (Snape? Voldemort? Peter?) just before he dies and that activates the Ancient Magic trapped in his scar saving his life and letting him live.

Anyway, thanks for listening. I've written it down and I can move on. :)

inkling7 May 30th, 2007 4:14 pm

However if Jo says there's a bit of Harry in her and she has fought back from advesity and won - happy marriage, more children etc then MAYBE (but not necessarily but hopefully) she has written a similar end to Harry's life and he will find true love and happines as Jo has.

Sonorus_Quietus May 31st, 2007 2:54 pm

Quote:

I would absolutely hate it if Voldemort died and Harry lived and everything was dandy.
If Harry lives (which he better), even if he kills Voldemort (which he better :p ) there will always be evil in the world. Thus, everything will not be "dandy", but they will be much better off.

Schlubalybub May 31st, 2007 7:22 pm

I think (and I think that a lot of other people also think) that Harry will die by killing Voldemort. The whole Neither can live while the other survives thing makes me think that they both have to die, if one of them can't live. I also think that JKR will want to kill off Harry so that nobody else can carry on the stories. Although my boyfriend thinks that if Harry dies then Warner Brothers will change it so he lives so that they can carry on making the films, but that is a bit off topic, sorry

expelliarmus_01 May 31st, 2007 7:42 pm

Quote:

I agree. Here is another quote from Harry that I like. PG 68 (American edition) Prisoner of Azkaban
"I'm not goint to be murdered," Harry said out loud.

Of course here he meant by Sirius Black, but I would like to think it applies to the ending as well.
I have to hope anyway.

couleur May 31st, 2007 11:29 pm

Read about the Harry Potter Theme Park and the news has me convinced that Harry will live.

Think about it --- you are considering building a huge theme park. Would you go ahead without some assurance that the series doesn't end with a MAJOR bummer -- i.e. main character's death?

iheartsirius June 1st, 2007 1:33 am

:grumble: :td: :upset: :upset: :upset: :upset: :upset: :upset: :huh: :( :( NNNNNNNNNNnnoooooooooooooooooo!!!! Don't let him die, JK!!

missPotta June 1st, 2007 2:38 am

I'm starting to think that this could go either way...I can't make up my mind!
I don't want Harry to die, but he might, we'll never know till it comes out!

lindaluna June 1st, 2007 10:45 am

I think the theme park is a really good sign that the series has a happy ending! What would they do - have a ride called Harry's death? It would be a gravesite, place to go to mourn, vs a "happiest place on earth", so to me theme park = happy ending. Phew!

Deathly_Potter June 1st, 2007 11:11 am

I don't think that the theme park is necessarily a good or bad sign. If you ask me Universal is just trying to cash in on the Harry Potter hype. Plus if, god forbid, Harry does die I think "Harry's Death" would be an awesome ride.

Swan_007 June 1st, 2007 11:32 am

Short answer, No.

I dont think Harry will die. But I am now starting to think that the final battle with Voldy will not only cost Harry his wand, bu that he will loose his magical ability too! :err:

hermione007 June 1st, 2007 1:37 pm

I don't think Harry will die, what would be gained from the series, and i don't beleive that JKR killing him off just to prevent other authors resurrecting him would work, to do that she would need to kill off the whole wizard world, as someone else would always be able to create new stories based on hogwarts, hogsmead, etc, as harry has also lost all his close family (parents, sirius and dumbledore), the only other people of consequence to him are the weasleys, neville or hermione, therefore i think one or more of these will die.

SusanBones June 1st, 2007 1:48 pm

Quote:

This is a good quote. Of course, Harry was eleven and he will be seventeen in the last book. Is six years enough? But I agree, this looks like he will live.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustAnIllusion (Post 4537127)
Harry should live. ... But wouldn't the better message be that good always triumphs over evil? That is the main theme of the book; Good vs. Evil. The other big theme is the power of love and family... And with the power of his mother's love, Harry will survive. If he doesn't, it just shows that his family sacrificed themselves for nothing, and the love that his mother gave him wasn't enough. He's the 'Boy Who Lived'. With death, he'd be the boy who died, which obviously is very morbid, indeed!

I agree that it would seem meaningless for Lily to have sacrificed her life only to have Harry lose his, too. And it is a book of good versus evil. I don't want evil to win.

And the first chapter of the first book is the boy who lived. It needs to stay that way. :lol:

Moldywart June 1st, 2007 6:52 pm

Harry will die...because Prof. Trelawney says so. Think I'm nuts, read on...

I believe that there is much more to Divination and Prof. Trelawney than the trio thinks. If you follow the belief, as I do, that Hermione is always right and Ron is always wrong in their predictions unless Ron is joking or Hermione is letting her emotions get the best of her, then you will see that their opinion of Trelawney and Divination is grossly inaccurate. Remember that after being insulted in POA, Hermione (letting her emotions control her) drops Trelawney's class because there is no scientific proof that Divination is real magic. We think Trelawny is a joke because she is always predicting death and horrible things, but is it just a coincidence that death and bad things tend to happen in the HP series??? If you believe that there is no such thing as a coincidence in JKR's writing, then there has to be another explanation - Trelawney's predictions are accurate.

In POA, she accurately continues to see the Grim when looking at Harry's future. The grim was a big black dog that was in fact stalking and did have a confrontation with Harry (Sirius). She accurately predicts that Umbridge is "in grave danger" and she senses, "something that concerns you (Umbridge)...something dark...some grave peril".(OOTP, p. 315) We know that Umbridge did indeed find herself in "grave danger" in "something dark" when she was in the forrest getting attacked by centaurs. Now, of course, we dismiss this at the time because Trelawny is a nut. On the same page (OOTP, p. 315) she again predicts Harry's "gruesome and early death". This seems unimportant, because she always predicts Harry's death and because JKR puts it in parenthesis to show that it's not even a lasting thought with Harry. Notice she never says, you will die tomorrow. She says "early death". If Harry does die in the 7th book, I wonder how many people will finally start to believe in Trelawney. My bet is people will still think she is a nut.

What seems odd to me is that her two episodes of true seeing (the prophecy and the dark lord returning to power) seem to be the predictions that would not have come true if she had not foretold them.

Here's a link to another page that kind of confirms that there is more to Divination class than meets the eye:
http://www.cosforums.com/showthread....ron+divination

gertiekeddle June 1st, 2007 6:56 pm

I'm a big fan of Trelawneys predictions - indeed almost all of them have been true, just with more or less different interpretation. But I think the Harry-issue is still unsolved. On the one hand she predicts his early death, on the other he will become Minister of Magic with a big family. As I believe Harry will live, I tend to think the latter is right, but admit that I don't know how to interpretate one or the other. I doubt one of them will come true just as it was said (what would be impossible anyway, though).