Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   Muggle Studies (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Best and Worst Chemistry in the HP Series (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=131701)

Richard_G. September 2nd, 2012 9:17 pm

Best and Worst Chemistry in the HP Series

A friend of mine and I were having this discussion the other day, and I don't believe it's been discussed on these boards before - but here goes:

Chemistry is something that really can't be helped between two actors, either you have it or you don't. That being said: Which actors worked very well together, and which just...didn't?

I'm going to start with some of mine:

BEST:

Daniel Radcliffe and Gary Oldman. There was a natural spark of respect, admiration, and love between their Harry and Sirius that spoke volumes about their dynamic without saying a word.

WORST:

Daniel Radcliffe and Bonnie Wright. Nuff said.

asdfasdf17 September 3rd, 2012 1:37 am

Re: Best and Worst Chemistry in the HP Series

Best: Dan and Emma! They pulled off the brotherly-sisterly friendship really well IMO
Worst: I agree with the Dan and Bonnie pairing

snapes_witch September 3rd, 2012 2:30 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdfasdf17 (Post 6036889)
Worst: I agree with the Dan and Bonnie pairing

Unfortunately the writing did nothing to counter the lack of chemistry. Or perhaps it was so bad the writers just gave up--like giving the after-Quidditch kiss to Ron and Lav instead of Harry and Ginny as it was in the book.

RikuStark September 3rd, 2012 3:10 am

The worst was definitely Bonnie and Daniel. I wish they had better chemistry, maybe I would like then more.

My favorite chemistry between two actors...I agree with Emma and Daniel or Gary and Daniel. I think the trio as a whole had very good chemistry. :agree:

StarsAndShadows September 3rd, 2012 7:59 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RikuStark (Post 6036914)
The worst was definitely Bonnie and Daniel. I wish they had better chemistry, maybe I would like then more.

Totally agree! :agree:

Quote:

My favorite chemistry between two actors...I agree with Emma and Daniel or Gary and Daniel. I think the trio as a whole had very good chemistry. :agree:
Yes to all of the above. The trio worked very well together.

I didn't think the chemistry was that good between Emma and Rupert either. :no:

ShadowSonic September 3rd, 2012 12:12 pm

What about between Dan and Rupert? I thought their own chemistry was some of the series' best.

Richard_G. September 3rd, 2012 8:10 pm

While they didn't have nearly as many scenes together as they should've, I also nominate Mark Williams and Julie Walters. Best husband/wife chemistry in the series, a very believable couple imo.

Goddess_Clio September 4th, 2012 4:59 pm

Best:
Dan and Gary - they sparkled with great fatherly/son chemistry and were totally believable

Mark Williams and Julie Walters - agree with Richard_Gambon here, they were a very believable parental unit

Julie Walters and anyone else, really - I thought Julie played well against the kids, being very motherly, as well as against the adults

Dan and Alan - Snape was a very under utilized character in the movies to me but there were some good moments between him and Dan.

Dan and Rupert - teetering on the edge of good and just okay. Sometimes they looked and felt like best friends, other times they looked like actors rehearsing their scenes.

Ralph Fiennes and Michael Gambon - they were awesome when they were up against each other, granted they were up against each other in a magical battle but they looked like believable opponents, they felt electric when they were against each other, they were great.

Dan and Ralph - pretty good.

Worst:

The Trio - sorry, I didn't think they had great chemistry when all three of them were together. They always looked like they were acting to me rather than making me believe that they were really friends. A lot of moments felt really forced but some were kind of okay. The trio teeters on the line between horrible and marginally acceptable to me.

Dan and Bonnie - no explanation needed.

Rupert and Emma - they didn't have romantic chemistry to me at all. Rupert had way more chemistry with the girl who played Lavendar than with Emma.

Dan and Michael Gambon

Fury September 4th, 2012 5:16 pm

Daniel Radcliffe and Gary Oldman -- definitely one of the best in the movies. The fact that Daniel looks up to Gary anyway as an actor and mentor plays a big part in it too. Their scenes in OoTP were just beautiful.

Mark Williams and Julie Walters -- agree with this... the BTS of the wedding scene in Deathly Hallows Part 1 shows you exactly how well the two did well together. Definitely made their pairing believable.

Rupert and Emma -- I agree with the ones who say they worked well together. Because they did... they brought out Ron and Hermione's budding romance, from friendship to the sexual tension and obliviousness of the others' feelings for each other, all the way to them finally becoming a couple. Perfectly played out in all the movies.

Dan and Emma -- other than say... the dance (blah!), they did very well working together. That "Is this how you feel watching Ginny and Dean" scene in HBP cemented this... best reason for it. Also the whole last part of POA with them going back in time was also well played out.

Worst:
As much as I love Harry/Ginny pairing -- Dan and Bonnie did not do it much justice at all. Though I will blame this a lot on the scripts too.

Verena September 4th, 2012 8:07 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goddess_Clio (Post 6037300)
Worst:

The Trio - sorry, I didn't think they had great chemistry when all three of them were together. They always looked like they were acting to me rather than making me believe that they were really friends. A lot of moments felt really forced but some were kind of okay. The trio teeters on the line between horrible and marginally acceptable to me.

I agree. Especially in the most dramatic scenes where they should demonstrate as they care about each other they show the utter lack of interest instead. In those moments it’s clear that they are Dan, Rupert and Emma and not Harry, Ron and Hermione.

And, obviously, I agree also about Dan and Bonnie.

StarsAndShadows September 5th, 2012 7:46 am

IMO the Trio's chemistry was better in the first movies, when they were kids, than later on. It wasn't as good later on, but I can't agree with the "they were terrible, just acting" opinion. :no: I agree that Dan and Emma in PoA, especially the going back in time part, were pretty good.

Rupert and Emma without Harry: I see good chemistry between them as friends, but I couldn't feel any romantic attraction at all. Maybe it's just me, but I thought the pairing with Krum (I forget the actor's name) was more believable. :shrug:

Dan and Gary, Mark and Julie: Yes, spot on! :tu:

Dan and Bonnie: a disaster. Dan and Katie Leung were better.

Richard_G. September 5th, 2012 8:26 am

Perhaps this goes without saying, but the Phelps twins. And include Rupert, the three were quite convincing as real siblings, especially in OoTP.

Also, Robert Hardy and Michael Gambon. The tension between Fudge and Dumbledore was mighty and I loved it.

StarsAndShadows September 5th, 2012 8:31 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard_Gambon (Post 6037490)
Perhaps this goes without saying, but the Phelps twins. And include Rupert, the three were quite convincing as real siblings, especially in OoTP.

You're right, it's so obvious that I didn't think of the twins. I agree about Rupert and the Phelps brothers.

Quote:

Also, Robert Hardy and Michael Gambon. The tension between Fudge and Dumbledore was mighty and I loved it.
I'm afraid I missed that. Didn't pay too much attention to fudge. :blush:

Lillielle September 5th, 2012 10:40 am

Well...on worst, I have to agree with Dan and Bonnie. I wasn't keen on their pairing anyway, but they just don't really have chemistry together at all. And I feel the same about Emma and Rupert, although I think they had the friendship part down better, but not the romantic chemistry.

On best...Emma and Dan were pretty amazing sometimes, they were wonderful as friends, and I loved some of the scenes in PoA, especially the time travel. Also loved Dan and Alan playing off each other, I thought it was brilliant. :agree:

Goddess_Clio September 5th, 2012 4:10 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarsAndShadows (Post 6037482)
IMO the Trio's chemistry was better in the first movies, when they were kids, than later on. It wasn't as good later on

I'll agree with this. The early movies were actually okay in terms of chemistry between the trio but it started to take a nose dive after POA for me. 95% of the good chemistry examples I can think of with the trio come from the first three movies. The problem is that after POA there were still five movies...

ShadowSonic September 5th, 2012 4:35 pm

I the problems after POA were that they started altering the characters themselves by giving Hermione Ron's better moments and lines, downplaying her moments of weakness, etc. They tried to turn Ron into the 5th Wheel in favor of a Harry/Hermione duo.

darklordspal September 6th, 2012 10:40 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowSonic (Post 6037524)
I the problems after POA were that they started altering the characters themselves by giving Hermione Ron's better moments and lines, downplaying her moments of weakness, etc. They tried to turn Ron into the 5th Wheel in favor of a Harry/Hermione duo.

I agree with this.

Some of the awkwardness btw Hermione and Ron was b\c of their latent romantic feelings between the characters. I found them very believable as a couple from the the first movie (which is part of the reason I started reading HP in the first place).

I really enjoyed the chemistry between Harry and Lupin in POA. I thought it was really the only good part of the movie.

And Harry and Ginny was just pretty bad :(.

Fawkesfan1 September 6th, 2012 11:15 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goddess_Clio (Post 6037300)
Best:
Dan and Gary - they sparkled with great fatherly/son chemistry and were totally believable

Mark Williams and Julie Walters - agree with Richard_Gambon here, they were a very believable parental unit

Julie Walters and anyone else, really - I thought Julie played well against the kids, being very motherly, as well as against the adults

Dan and Alan - Snape was a very under utilized character in the movies to me but there were some good moments between him and Dan.

Dan and Rupert - teetering on the edge of good and just okay. Sometimes they looked and felt like best friends, other times they looked like actors rehearsing their scenes.

Ralph Fiennes and Michael Gambon - they were awesome when they were up against each other, granted they were up against each other in a magical battle but they looked like believable opponents, they felt electric when they were against each other, they were great.

Dan and Ralph - pretty good.

Worst:

Rupert and Emma - they didn't have romantic chemistry to me at all. Rupert had way more chemistry with the girl who played Lavendar than with Emma.

Dan and Michael Gambon

:agree: on the bolded. Dan and Alan's scenes together pretty much give me chills every time. Alan did such a wonderful job as Snape from the first film to the last. He seemed to give it everything he got.

:huh: about Dan and Michael Gambon... I thought they did an ok job together. Why did you think that they didn't have that much chemistry together?

Best:

Richard Harris and Dan: Their scenes together shined. Loved how Richard brought his sense of humor and fun to the role.

Dan and Alan Rickman: The both of them really played off of each other well. The animosity showed through, and at the end, Harry's sadness for what Snape went through showed too.

Robbie Coltrane, Dan, Emma and Rupert: His scenes with the younger actors in the films really stand out to me. He played the role of Hagrid really well. So much so, that that's how I picture the character in my mind as I read the series.

Maggie Smith and Richard Harris/Maggie Smith and Michael Gambon: She played the role of Professor Mcgonagall really well with both of the actors. Didn't notice any real change in terms of the chemistry there.

Maggie Smith and Dan: Really loved the interactions between Dan and her throughout the series. They seemed to be pretty believable.

Dan and Tom Felton: These two really played well off one another. Could really sense and feel the dislike that their characters had for one another.

James and Oliver Phelps: They really brought Fred and George to life. Hands down. Loved every minute that those two were on screen together :D :p.

Dan and Gary Oldman: Loved all of the scenes that they were in together. He brought a believability to the role of Sirius.

Dan and David Thewlis: Really loved their interactions together. David did a wonderful job as Lupin.

Worst:

David Tennant with Michael Gambon, and others: Thought that the interaction during the scene where he was arrested in GOF (iirc) seemed way over the top :lol:. It was rather soap opera like.

Goddess_Clio September 7th, 2012 1:06 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by darklordspal (Post 6037831)
Some of the awkwardness btw Hermione and Ron was b\c of their latent romantic feelings between the characters. I found them very believable as a couple from the the first movie (which is part of the reason I started reading HP in the first place).

I came to the books after seeing POA the movie where I felt like Rupert and Emma had enough chemistry to make their crushes on each other believable and Dan and Emma had enough chemistry (and mood lighting) that I, not knowing better at the time, thought they were going to smooch when they were waiting on the edge of the forest for themselves to reappear at the Whomping Willow during the time traveling sequence.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 (Post 6037842)
about Dan and Michael Gambon... I thought they did an ok job together. Why did you think that they didn't have that much chemistry together?

They just seemed very flat when they were acting opposite each other to me, like Michael was speaking to Dan and Dan was just waiting to recite back his lines. It's a very intangible thing and all I can do to really explain it is to say that when Dan was against Alan or against Gary or against Ralph his acting seemed to improve because he was opposite someone who he either greatly respected or was giving it 100,000% in their delivery and he had to match their performance. I guess I just don't think he gave the same gusto to his performances against Michael. Again, it's hard to describe...

Warlock27 September 9th, 2012 3:04 am

Chemistry is in the eye of the beholder, and should not influence or dictate how the story is told. I dread to think what the film makers would have done had they had more liberty with the characters.

Mark Williams and Julie Walters for best.

Halcipher September 9th, 2012 4:22 am

Best: Daniel Radcliffe and David Thewlis. :D
Gambon and Fiennes
Gambon and Daniel (Kings Cross Scene)
James and Oliver!

Worst: Bonnie Wright and Daniel Radcliffe,
I saw no sparks whatsoever, they were hugely boring together. I forget that they are even in a relationship when I watch the movie.

RebeccaMatthews September 9th, 2012 5:35 am

I never felt there was much of a connection with Bonnie and many of the cast members. She reminded me much of Kristen Stewart once I became familiar with her (Kristen) acting.

The best, IMO, was Dan, Rupert and Emma. I thought the three of them worked really well together.

Richard_G. September 9th, 2012 6:40 am

Another coupling to mention, which I'm surprised slipped me - Dan and Evanna. If I tentatively shipped Harry and Luna after OOTP, it's solely because they felt so natural together - two outcasts who really understood each other.

StarsAndShadows September 9th, 2012 7:42 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard_Gambon (Post 6038366)
Another coupling to mention, which I'm surprised slipped me - Dan and Evanna. If I tentatively shipped Harry and Luna after OOTP, it's solely because they felt so natural together - two outcasts who really understood each other.

Oh, I forgot about Luna and Harry! Yes, Dan and Evanna worked well together. I remember when I went to see the movie, someone in the audience, who apparently hadn't read the book wondered why Harry Potter was "kissing the Chinese girl instead of the blonde girl". :lol:

snapes_witch September 9th, 2012 7:48 am

In defence of Dan's and Bonnie's casting we must remember they were children with no one having any idea what Harry's and Ginny's future was going to be (except JKR). A romance was far in the future with no hint of that in the four books published at the time the first movie went into production.

Montse September 9th, 2012 10:04 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarsAndShadows (Post 6038369)
Oh, I forgot about Luna and Harry! Yes, Dan and Evanna worked well together. I remember when I went to see the movie, someone in the audience, who apparently hadn't read the book wondered why Harry Potter was "kissing the Chinese girl instead of the blonde girl".

Something similar happened at my theatre, this girl in behind me was saying something about Harry not supposed to end with Hermione but with this new weird girl :lol:

Warlock27 September 10th, 2012 10:17 am

This is why people need to read the books. Then they wouldn't allow the movies to mislead them.

I really don't give a flying snitch who had the better chemistry. Staying true to the source material was more important.

Apheka September 10th, 2012 1:19 pm

I loved all the scenes with Richard Harris and Dan in the first two movies.
It's a shame we'll never know how the two would have interacted with each other in the later films.

I have to join the Bonnie and Dan club, no chemistry at all when there should have been.

Goddess_Clio September 10th, 2012 6:14 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by snapes_witch (Post 6038370)
In defence of Dan's and Bonnie's casting we must remember they were children with no one having any idea what Harry's and Ginny's future was going to be (except JKR). A romance was far in the future with no hint of that in the four books published at the time the first movie went into production.

That is definitely a good point and something that does need to be kept in mind.

I almost want to say that I don't care, though. As an actor your job isn't just to say the words on the page, it's also to deliver them believable, to make the audience care, to interact with costars in a believable and convincing way. Though, yes, Dan and Bonnie were cast with no clue as to their future romance, I'm still disappointed that they couldn't come up with more than the awkward, flat performances they gave.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warlock27 (Post 6038632)
I really don't give a flying snitch who had the better chemistry. Staying true to the source material was more important.

The movies stayed true to the source material where Harry and Ginny were concerned and look what we got: Painful to watch interactions of Dand and Bonnie trying to flirt and kiss.

Personally, knowing what we know now of how Dan and Bonnie interact in those kissy moments, I would have accepted a Harry/Luna pairing in the movies knowing Dan and Evanna had way better chemistry. It wouldn't have been canon, wouldn't have stayed true to source material but I wouldn't have to cringe away from the screen every time Harry and his love interest made eyes at each other.

wolfbrother September 10th, 2012 9:33 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by snapes_witch (Post 6038370)

This is one of the reasons I think that movies based on a series should be done after the series is completed.

mrfutterman September 10th, 2012 10:41 pm

Quote:

This is why people need to read the books. Then they wouldn't allow the movies to mislead them.

Mislead them, how? That something in the films differs slightly from something in the novels doesn't matter to anybody except a tiny handful of fans. Nobody "needs" to read the books.

Quote:

So why are you posting on a thread with the title: Best and Worst Chemistry in the HP Series?

Not much to add to what others have said; Dan and Bonnie were a lifeless couple.

Harry's interaction with his various father figures - Dumbledore, Sirius, Lupin - was well done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfbrother (Post 6038733)
This is one of the reasons I think that movies based on a series should be done after the series is completed.

This was a decision for the author. Can we please grant her the courtesy of allowing her to act in her own best interests?

Montse September 10th, 2012 11:18 pm

I am not going to defend Bonnie and Dan , but lets take into consideration the scenes they gave them were not precisely " good ".

I mean tying Harry´s shoelace , or having him zip her dress up? I wish they had had better moments like they did in the book,if those did not work on screen ,think of other ones, but this ones they came up with were pretty lame. I do think part of the lack of chemistry is a consequence of the silly scenes they gave them. They might have worked more if there had been a spark between them, but even so, what they were supposed to perform was lacking the mood or something. They simply were no good.

Dedalus Diggle September 10th, 2012 11:26 pm

Let's give kudos to the Dursleys - loathesome as they were. Which is just the point, right?

StarsAndShadows September 11th, 2012 5:06 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dedalus Diggle (Post 6038771)
Let's give kudos to the Dursleys - loathesome as they were. Which is just the point, right?

Absolutely! The interaction between them and Harry is just right too. Ditto Dudley. And let's not forget Aunt Marge, little as we see her. Hers and Harry's mutual contempt and loathing for each other came across rather well.

MsJPotter September 11th, 2012 1:30 pm

Quote:

mrfutterman;6038758]Mislead them, how? That something in the films differs slightly from something in the novels doesn't matter to anybody except a tiny handful of fans. Nobody "needs" to read the books.
Well I think they do if they want to know the actual story of Harry Potter. The movies, IMO are glorified fan fiction. In fact I've read fan fiction that was better than the movie scripts. As for posting in this thread, well I am posting in this thread because IMO if the films had stuck even a little bit to the actual storyline that was in the books instead of inventing 60-75% of what we saw in screen, then we might just have got better chemistry and better movies. Bad chemistry quite often is a result of a bad script and 'The Half Blood Prince' and DH2 is IMO, the proof of that pudding.

StarsAndShadows September 11th, 2012 8:11 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsJPotter (Post 6038902)
Well I think they do if they want to know the actual story of Harry Potter. The movies, IMO are glorified fan fiction. In fact I've read fan fiction that was better than the movie scripts.

I agree on all three statements. :agree:

I never thought of it that way but yes, with all the changes, the movies are fan fics, and not very good fan fics at that.

I particularly hated that scene where Snape holds Lily's dead body while baby Harry is bawling his heart out, and Snape doesn't even spare him a glance. I don't know why they put that scene in. Whoever wrote it must not have read the books. It's not at all canon. Snape was not in Godric's Hollow that night. The only people on the scene, just after the Potters' murder, were Sirius and Hagrid - that's when Sirius lent his motorcycle to Hagrid to carry Harry to the Dursleys'. How would Snape have known to be there anyway? I don't see either Pettigrew or Voldemort telling him. :shrug:

Quote:

Bad chemistry quite often is a result of a bad script and 'The Half Blood Prince' and DH2 is IMO, the proof of that pudding.
Absolutely.

Verena September 11th, 2012 8:31 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarsAndShadows (Post 6038966)
I particularly hated that scene where Snape holds Lily's dead body while baby Harry is bawling his heart out, and Snape doesn't even spare him a glance. I don't know why they put that scene in. Whoever wrote it must not have read the books. It's not at all canon. Snape was not in Godric's Hollow that night. The only people on the scene, just after the Potters' murder, were Sirius and Hagrid - that's when Sirius lent his motorcycle to Hagrid to carry Harry to the Dursleys'. How would Snape have known to be there anyway? I don't see either Pettigrew or Voldemort telling him. :shrug:

Me too. I can’t stand these inventions that their put in the movies that have nothing to do with the books.

mrfutterman September 11th, 2012 9:15 pm

Thread topic, anybody?

The additional Snape/Lily material was very good indeed: better than anything the author wrote.

I quite liked the dynamic between Voldemort and Bellatrix, while wishing for more but the film-makers were too timid to adapt thoroughly, so too often we get soggy veg instead of dramatic meat.

StarsAndShadows September 11th, 2012 11:06 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrfutterman (Post 6038975)
Thread topic, anybody?

The additional Snape/Lily material was very good indeed: better than anything the author wrote.

Even if it wasn't canon? :hmm: OK maybe to some it's good fan fic. I'd rather stick to canon, and, I repeat, Snape was not on the scene at Godric's Hollow. He could not have been.

Well, back to thread topic - I didn't see any chemistry between Snape and Lily's dead body, nor did I see any between Snape and the infant he totally ignored. Isn't tending to the needs of the living, especially a baby, more important than holding the dead? A dead woman who liked you once but never did love you?

ShadowSonic September 12th, 2012 12:18 am

Well, grief can sort of mess with your mind for a while...

snapes_witch September 12th, 2012 2:02 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarsAndShadows (Post 6039021)
A dead woman who liked you once but never did love you?

Obviously Lily never held a romantic love for Sev, but at one time she did love him as a best friend.

StarsAndShadows September 12th, 2012 3:51 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowSonic (Post 6039025)
Well, grief can sort of mess with your mind for a while...

I'm sorry, but I don't follow you here. What grief messed up whose mind? :hmm:

Quote:

Originally Posted by snapes_witch (Post 6039047)
Obviously Lily never held a romantic love for Sev, but at one time she did love him as a best friend.

I meant romantic love, I should have specified that.

ShadowSonic September 12th, 2012 4:03 am

Snape's grief over Lily's death, and seeing her dead corpse right in front of him, most likely messed him up to the point he just held her and didn't even register baby Harry crying for a little while.

StarsAndShadows September 12th, 2012 4:21 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowSonic (Post 6039063)
Snape's grief over Lily's death, and seeing her dead corpse right in front of him, most likely messed him up to the point he just held her and didn't even register baby Harry crying for a little while.

That's a kind explanation. But it does not explain why, later, Snape was so hard on Harry. The son of the woman he professes to love, and he makes his life miserable?

I'm afraid we're going off-topic, though. :blush:

So, to get back on: the chemistry between Alan and Dan was perfect, in their mutual antagonism and dislike of each other.

ShadowSonic September 12th, 2012 4:23 am

Jason Isaacs and Tom Felton had good chemistry too, you could buy them as Father and Son even though I always found Lucius more intimidating than Draco ever was.

Hes September 12th, 2012 9:23 am

Remember guys it's about the chemistry between movie actors not about the book characters. So please use the actors names to avoid confusion.

Warlock27 September 12th, 2012 10:18 pm

Just gussing. But Bonnie Wright might have had some chemistry with Young Gindlewald, or else they never would have gotten engaged.

SeverusSnapeHBP September 14th, 2012 10:42 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarsAndShadows (Post 6039069)
That's a kind explanation. But it does not explain why, later, Snape was so hard on Harry. The son of the woman he professes to love, and he makes his life miserable?

It's possible that Snape wanted to keep the memory of their friendship pleasant, and he might have felt that Lily betrayed the memory of the friendship by being with James. To me, nothing would be more insulting than someone who I once considered my closest friend choosing to be with someone who they knew treated me badly. Harry is a constant reminder of that, so it's possible that Snape's bitterness toward Harry not only stems from his bitterness toward James, but Lily was well.

Enough of that, back on topic.
I loved the chemistry between Daniel and Alan. There was just something so visceral about it and it really was a pleasure watching them on screen. The same with Gambon and Smith. They made McGonagall and Dumbledore's relationship seem almost romantic.

Richard_G. September 15th, 2012 6:30 am

Another pairing to be thrown into the 'worst' pool - Dom Gleason and Clemence Poesy. Granted, Bill and Fleur just never should have happened in the WB Films...but really, I don't think a single person accepted them as married. Or even interested.

SeverusSnapeHBP September 16th, 2012 1:43 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard_Gambon (Post 6039762)
Granted, Bill and Fleur just never should have happened in the WB Films...but really, I don't think a single person accepted them as married. Or even interested.

I agree. And even then, Bill was innocuous enough in the books, and in reality, I didn't even care about him and Fleur then.

It also was kind of pointless that the didn't introduce him in the movies until Deathly Hallows, and I don't think it helped Fleur's situation that (perhaps it was just me) she was a joke for a champion back in GOF.

Fawkesfan1 September 17th, 2012 9:43 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goddess_Clio (Post 6037868)
They just seemed very flat when they were acting opposite each other to me, like Michael was speaking to Dan and Dan was just waiting to recite back his lines. It's a very intangible thing and all I can do to really explain it is to say that when Dan was against Alan or against Gary or against Ralph his acting seemed to improve because he was opposite someone who he either greatly respected or was giving it 100,000% in their delivery and he had to match their performance. I guess I just don't think he gave the same gusto to his performances against Michael. Again, it's hard to describe...

I see. Thanks for the explaination :). It did kind of seem that way between them in some of their scenes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warlock27 (Post 6038325)
Chemistry is in the eye of the beholder, and should not influence or dictate how the story is told. I dread to think what the film makers would have done had they had more liberty with the characters.

Mark Williams and Julie Walters for best.

Good point. But on a side note, I think it can kind of add to a film at times. If something stands out in that way, it can really bring a person into the film itself.

As for what the film makers would have done... I would have dreaded it as well.

adrianavery September 20th, 2012 5:57 am

Best: Emma and Dan (not original of course but undeniable, nothing else comes close)
Worst: Dan and Bonnie (again not original!)
Mediocre: Rupert and Emma

Funny, with the books, I was a huge R/Hr shipper. But the movies, complete opposite - Emma and Dan just steal the show - its frankly astonishing just how physical they are with each other, and not in a platonic way - i have plenty of female relatives and friends and i never touch them the way these two touch each other.

snapes_witch September 20th, 2012 9:33 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by adrianavery (Post 6040777)
Best: Emma and Dan (not original of course but undeniable, nothing else comes close)
Worst: Dan and Bonnie (again not original!)
Mediocre: Rupert and Emma

Funny, with the books, I was a huge R/Hr shipper. But the movies, complete opposite - Emma and Dan just steal the show - its frankly astonishing just how physical they are with each other, and not in a platonic way - i have plenty of female relatives and friends and i never touch them the way these two touch each other.

Dan and Emma are good friends in RL; Rupe not so much.

ShadowSonic September 20th, 2012 9:56 pm

Yeah, Rupert is actually friendlier with Tom Felton than he is with Emma or Dan I think.

TenderHooligan September 20th, 2012 10:18 pm

I don't see anything particularly remarkable about Dan's and Emma's chemistry. They just benefited from the writers scripting lots of physical contact between them. And some of it (I'm thinking the scene where Emma looks at Dan's hand for the "I Must Not Tell Lies" scar in OotP and pretty much all of their interaction in POA) is extremely awkward and demonstrates a lack of chemistry if anything. They were quite good in HBP though, I'll give them that.

For best chemistry, I'd say the Phelps brothers. I don't know, it was almost like they really were twins or something :)

LyannaS September 22nd, 2012 8:43 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeverusSnapeHBP (Post 6039516)
I loved the chemistry between Daniel and Alan. There was just something so visceral about it and it really was a pleasure watching them on screen. The same with Gambon and Smith. They made McGonagall and Dumbledore's relationship seem almost romantic.

Yes about Daniel and Alan, I loved their scenes together, how there's this smoldering hatred underneath their least interactions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TenderHooligan (Post 6040880)
For best chemistry, I'd say the Phelps brothers. I don't know, it was almost like they really were twins or something :)

Well, they are twins, aren't they? Or am I missing something?

ShadowSonic September 22nd, 2012 9:28 pm

Tender was making a joke, ;).

LyannaS September 22nd, 2012 10:44 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowSonic (Post 6041423)
Tender was making a joke, ;).

Oh. Silly me. Thanks for pointing out the humour I misssed. :blush:

Quote:

Dan and Emma are good friends in RL; Rupe not so much.
We do have to take real life relationships into account, don't we? That does explain it.

Tom Felton is also friends with Emma, isn't he? I remember a video of him dancing with her, in their Yule Ball costumes. They seemed to have had a great time. Too bad there's not too much interaction between them in the movies, apart from that scene where she punches and shoves him - that one was great!

Fury September 22nd, 2012 10:51 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyannaS (Post 6041451)

Tom Felton is also friends with Emma, isn't he? I remember a video of him dancing with her, in their Yule Ball costumes. They seemed to have had a great time. Too bad there's not too much interaction between them in the movies, apart from that scene where she punches and shoves him - that one was great!

They really discussed the punch... Tom was like "Come on, Emma, give it all you got!" and she really punched him, and she felt so bad for it.

ShadowSonic September 22nd, 2012 10:52 pm

Rupert was also the oldest of the three, so maybe that played a bit into RL relationships between them.

Quote:

They really discussed the punch... Tom was like "Come on, Emma, give it all you got!" and she really punched him, and she felt so bad for it.
Originally, it was meant to be a slap like the book. She really slapped him and felt awful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L486V...eature=related

Thoive October 28th, 2012 4:19 am

Funny, I came here with Bonnie and Daniel in my head as worst and I thought it'd be a controversial opinion, but I'm happy to see it's okay to say that here haha. I agree the writing of Harry and Ginny in the movies - yeah, Ginny kinda had a crush on Harry in CoS but lets forget they even know each other until OOTP! - didn't help though. I always sort of thought they should have picked another actress for Ginny once it became clear Ginny wasn't going to be so shy for the entirety of the series and was actually going to be quite feisty.

As for best: the trio (and Evanna too!), Daniel and Ralph Fiennes, as well as Michael Gambon. I thought the Harry-Dumbledore dynamic always felt really real.

BrightestWitch October 28th, 2012 5:28 pm

I actually think that Dan and Robbie had a really good friendship with each other.

I also think that Dan and Gary had good chemistry with each other, too.

Emma and Dan were pretty good.

Lastly, Dan and Michael Gambon.

As for my least favorites:

Dan and Bonnie.

Also, Dan and Richard Harris never sold it to me, either.

DorrisTheClock November 13th, 2012 12:03 pm

Best: Harry and Hagrid by far!

I also enjoy the chemistry amongst the Order as a whole and the feeling of camaraderie between them.

Also, Fred and George; a no-brainer.

Worst: Harry and Ginny.

Harry and Cho.

Ron and Lavender.

Again, they all act nothing like a couple would in their situations.

Fawkesfan1 April 24th, 2013 3:46 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DorrisTheClock (Post 6050570)
Best: Harry and Hagrid by far!

I also enjoy the chemistry amongst the Order as a whole and the feeling of camaraderie between them.

Also, Fred and George; a no-brainer.

Harry and Cho.

Ron and Lavender.

:agree: on the bolded. Especially Harry and Hagrid, always enjoyed seeing those two in scenes together.

Dumbledore (both actors who played him) and Snape, seemed to have pretty good chemistry in the scenes they had together. They played off each other well enough. Same with Dumbledore (both actors who played him) and Mcgongall.

asdfasdf17 April 24th, 2013 5:52 pm

I also liked Fred and George together as well as Sirius and Harry together, I thought they did good.

Fawkesfan1 April 24th, 2013 6:39 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdfasdf17 (Post 6068933)
I also liked Fred and George together as well as Sirius and Harry together, I thought they did good.

Yea they did a good job together :). They were pretty believable as brothers. Really loved seeing them in the movies, they added that special something to them.

flimseycauldron May 9th, 2014 11:46 pm

BY far my favorite actor in the whole series is Brendan Gleeson. Thought PseudoMoody interacted very well with everyone from Karkaroff to Harry and everyone in between.

Matthew Lewis as Neville also worked well with everyone. The scene with Neville and Harry in the ROQ was one of the greatest. Dan was very good in that scene as well and he didn't have alot of lines.

By far the two best working together were Dan and Emma in the later films and Emma and Rupert in the first few films.

Also Ralph Fiennes and Dan really brought it. OOTP is my favorite book but I have to say that GOF acting wise, if not writing wise, is my favorite.

GingerCat1 June 9th, 2014 9:49 am

I always thought Dan's chemistry with the other child actors was pretty poor but he seemed to do better in scenes where he was acting off the adult actors.

LadySylvia August 21st, 2015 8:52 pm

The Best:

The Trio - The series would have never worked for me without the chemistry between Dan, Rupert and Emma. I also thought Dan had a good chemistry with either Rupert or Emma. And the latter two played off each other very well.

Michael Gambon and Maggie Smith - Although I liked the chemistry between Ms. Smith and Richard Harris, I really enjoyed her chemistry with Gambon.

Daniel Radcliffe and Gary Oldman/David Thewlis - I thought Dan really sizzled with both Oldman and Thewlis, especially in "PoA".

Daniel Radcliffe and Evanna Lynch -I've been impressed by the chemistry between the pair, ever since Ms. Lynch joined the franchise in "OotP".

Alfred Enoch and Devon Murray - From the beginning, these two struck a nice balance as the two friends, Dean Thomas and Seamus Finnigan.

The Worst:

Daniel Radcliffe and Bonnie Wright - I hate to say this, but the pair did not exactly sizzle as Harry and Ginny. Their only screen kiss pretty much proved this. Pity.

Domhnall Gleeson and Clémence Poésy - Sorry to say that this pairing for Bill and Fleur failed to rock my boat.

wickedwickedboy August 25th, 2015 6:28 pm

Dan and Tom - great enemy relationship that had to evolve into something helpful on both their parts. But they portrayed those roles very well.

Dan, Emma, Rupert - as a trio. Dan-Rupert also great; Emma-Dan great. But oddly, Rupert-Emma was kind of hit and miss - maybe it was supposed to be.

More, later.

AldeberanBlack July 12th, 2016 10:27 pm

Worst - Daniel Radcliffe and Bonnie Wright, by far.

Sorry, but despite the "aww, Harry marries Ron's little sister" cuteness factor that JKR may have been aiming for, it just didn't work IMO. Daniel Radcliffe had far more chemistry with the girl who played Cho, who I thought would have been a much better girlfriend/wife for Harry anyway.

Fawkesfan1 July 13th, 2016 3:41 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AldeberanBlack (Post 6105571)

Sorry, but despite the "aww, Harry marries Ron's little sister" cuteness factor that JKR may have been aiming for, it just didn't work IMO. Daniel Radcliffe had far more chemistry with the girl who played Cho, who I thought would have been a much better girlfriend/wife for Harry anyway.

I agree on that.

Only with Harry and Hermione. They had pretty good chemistry.

I thought that Hermione and Ron did ok, but I thought Harry and Hermione (Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson) had better chemistry.

HMN July 13th, 2016 4:10 pm

Quote:

Yesssss. I feel like it could have worked if Ginny was recast after the 2nd book. Sorry Bonnie Wright. Or maybe it was the writing and directing. Whatever it was, there was no spark whatsoever.

snapes_witch July 13th, 2016 5:43 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HMN (Post 6105587)
Yesssss. I feel like it could have worked if Ginny was recast after the 2nd book. Sorry Bonnie Wright. Or maybe it was the writing and directing. Whatever it was, there was no spark whatsoever.

Or it could just be that no writing or directing, good or bad, could get that spark from the two actors! :grumble:

LilyDreamsOn August 23rd, 2016 3:50 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by snapes_witch (Post 6105589)
Or it could just be that no writing or directing, good or bad, could get that spark from the two actors! :grumble:

Combination of both! The actors have no natural chemistry IMO but then you have that writing, like the awkward shoe-lace scene. No one could deliver that and make it seem anything but stale.

I'm a Harry/Ginny fan, too, so it's really unfortunate lol.

Pensieve_Seeker August 27th, 2016 10:31 pm

Quote:

The HP story was written as a ring composition, therefore, in order for Harry to have wound up with Cho in Book 7, there would have to have been something about him noticing her in Book 1.

BrianTung January 10th, 2017 10:46 pm

From an old post...

Quote:

Originally Posted by DorrisTheClock (Post 6050570)

Harry and Cho.

Ron and Lavender.

Well, they are mostly nothing like a couple, the last two pairs.

Harry and Ginny, on the other hand—this has been hashed and rehashed, but that doesn't make it untrue: They really have no spark. It's remarkable. I don't think it's the situation, for the pairing in the book works all right, if not spectacularly, but on the screen, it feels surprisingly flat. I don't think it's the direction, since the two were put into situations and blockings that I thought should've worked. Even the infamous shoelace scene—which I had no intrinsic problem with (I don't care that it's not in the books, and the awkwardness could work for the scene)—just feels like they went through the motions. Same with the scene in the room of requirement.

I think my problem is that she's just too cool and serene and unruffled, and she's not supposed to be like that. She doesn't look nervous around him. Don't get me wrong, I don't think Daniel Radcliffe is some phenomenal actor (though he did get better as the series went along), but she seems flatter and more wooden than he does. And I don't think her character is written that way in the books.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pensieve_Seeker (Post 6106252)
The HP story was written as a ring composition, therefore, in order for Harry to have wound up with Cho in Book 7, there would have to have been something about him noticing her in Book 1.

Not everything in the series has to be like that. It turned out to be that way with Ginny, yes, but I don't think it would have stuck out like a sore thumb if it hadn't.