Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   Muggle Studies (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Best and Worst Chemistry in the HP Series (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=131701)

snapes_witch September 12th, 2012 2:02 am

Re: Best and Worst Chemistry in the HP Series
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by StarsAndShadows (Post 6039021)
A dead woman who liked you once but never did love you?

Obviously Lily never held a romantic love for Sev, but at one time she did love him as a best friend.

StarsAndShadows September 12th, 2012 3:51 am

Re: Best and Worst Chemistry in the HP Series
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowSonic (Post 6039025)
Well, grief can sort of mess with your mind for a while...

I'm sorry, but I don't follow you here. What grief messed up whose mind? :hmm:

Quote:

Originally Posted by snapes_witch (Post 6039047)
Obviously Lily never held a romantic love for Sev, but at one time she did love him as a best friend.

I meant romantic love, I should have specified that.

ShadowSonic September 12th, 2012 4:03 am

Re: Best and Worst Chemistry in the HP Series
 
Snape's grief over Lily's death, and seeing her dead corpse right in front of him, most likely messed him up to the point he just held her and didn't even register baby Harry crying for a little while.

StarsAndShadows September 12th, 2012 4:21 am

Re: Best and Worst Chemistry in the HP Series
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowSonic (Post 6039063)
Snape's grief over Lily's death, and seeing her dead corpse right in front of him, most likely messed him up to the point he just held her and didn't even register baby Harry crying for a little while.

That's a kind explanation. But it does not explain why, later, Snape was so hard on Harry. The son of the woman he professes to love, and he makes his life miserable?

I'm afraid we're going off-topic, though. :blush:

So, to get back on: the chemistry between Alan and Dan was perfect, in their mutual antagonism and dislike of each other.

ShadowSonic September 12th, 2012 4:23 am

Re: Best and Worst Chemistry in the HP Series
 
Jason Isaacs and Tom Felton had good chemistry too, you could buy them as Father and Son even though I always found Lucius more intimidating than Draco ever was.

Hes September 12th, 2012 9:23 am

Re: Best and Worst Chemistry in the HP Series
 
Remember guys it's about the chemistry between movie actors not about the book characters. So please use the actors names to avoid confusion.

Warlock27 September 12th, 2012 10:18 pm

Re: Best and Worst Chemistry in the HP Series
 
Just gussing. But Bonnie Wright might have had some chemistry with Young Gindlewald, or else they never would have gotten engaged.

SeverusSnapeHBP September 14th, 2012 10:42 am

Re: Best and Worst Chemistry in the HP Series
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by StarsAndShadows (Post 6039069)
That's a kind explanation. But it does not explain why, later, Snape was so hard on Harry. The son of the woman he professes to love, and he makes his life miserable?

It's possible that Snape wanted to keep the memory of their friendship pleasant, and he might have felt that Lily betrayed the memory of the friendship by being with James. To me, nothing would be more insulting than someone who I once considered my closest friend choosing to be with someone who they knew treated me badly. Harry is a constant reminder of that, so it's possible that Snape's bitterness toward Harry not only stems from his bitterness toward James, but Lily was well.

Enough of that, back on topic.
I loved the chemistry between Daniel and Alan. There was just something so visceral about it and it really was a pleasure watching them on screen. The same with Gambon and Smith. They made McGonagall and Dumbledore's relationship seem almost romantic.

Richard_G. September 15th, 2012 6:30 am

Re: Best and Worst Chemistry in the HP Series
 
Another pairing to be thrown into the 'worst' pool - Dom Gleason and Clemence Poesy. Granted, Bill and Fleur just never should have happened in the WB Films...but really, I don't think a single person accepted them as married. Or even interested.

SeverusSnapeHBP September 16th, 2012 1:43 am

Re: Best and Worst Chemistry in the HP Series
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard_Gambon (Post 6039762)
Granted, Bill and Fleur just never should have happened in the WB Films...but really, I don't think a single person accepted them as married. Or even interested.

I agree. And even then, Bill was innocuous enough in the books, and in reality, I didn't even care about him and Fleur then.

It also was kind of pointless that the didn't introduce him in the movies until Deathly Hallows, and I don't think it helped Fleur's situation that (perhaps it was just me) she was a joke for a champion back in GOF.

Fawkesfan1 September 17th, 2012 9:43 pm

Re: Best and Worst Chemistry in the HP Series
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Goddess_Clio (Post 6037868)
They just seemed very flat when they were acting opposite each other to me, like Michael was speaking to Dan and Dan was just waiting to recite back his lines. It's a very intangible thing and all I can do to really explain it is to say that when Dan was against Alan or against Gary or against Ralph his acting seemed to improve because he was opposite someone who he either greatly respected or was giving it 100,000% in their delivery and he had to match their performance. I guess I just don't think he gave the same gusto to his performances against Michael. Again, it's hard to describe...

I see. Thanks for the explaination :). It did kind of seem that way between them in some of their scenes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warlock27 (Post 6038325)
Chemistry is in the eye of the beholder, and should not influence or dictate how the story is told. I dread to think what the film makers would have done had they had more liberty with the characters.

Mark Williams and Julie Walters for best.

Good point. But on a side note, I think it can kind of add to a film at times. If something stands out in that way, it can really bring a person into the film itself.

As for what the film makers would have done... I would have dreaded it as well.

adrianavery September 20th, 2012 5:57 am

Re: Best and Worst Chemistry in the HP Series
 
Best: Emma and Dan (not original of course but undeniable, nothing else comes close)
Worst: Dan and Bonnie (again not original!)
Mediocre: Rupert and Emma

Funny, with the books, I was a huge R/Hr shipper. But the movies, complete opposite - Emma and Dan just steal the show - its frankly astonishing just how physical they are with each other, and not in a platonic way - i have plenty of female relatives and friends and i never touch them the way these two touch each other.

snapes_witch September 20th, 2012 9:33 pm

Re: Best and Worst Chemistry in the HP Series
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by adrianavery (Post 6040777)
Best: Emma and Dan (not original of course but undeniable, nothing else comes close)
Worst: Dan and Bonnie (again not original!)
Mediocre: Rupert and Emma

Funny, with the books, I was a huge R/Hr shipper. But the movies, complete opposite - Emma and Dan just steal the show - its frankly astonishing just how physical they are with each other, and not in a platonic way - i have plenty of female relatives and friends and i never touch them the way these two touch each other.

Dan and Emma are good friends in RL; Rupe not so much.

ShadowSonic September 20th, 2012 9:56 pm

Re: Best and Worst Chemistry in the HP Series
 
Yeah, Rupert is actually friendlier with Tom Felton than he is with Emma or Dan I think.

TenderHooligan September 20th, 2012 10:18 pm

Re: Best and Worst Chemistry in the HP Series
 
I don't see anything particularly remarkable about Dan's and Emma's chemistry. They just benefited from the writers scripting lots of physical contact between them. And some of it (I'm thinking the scene where Emma looks at Dan's hand for the "I Must Not Tell Lies" scar in OotP and pretty much all of their interaction in POA) is extremely awkward and demonstrates a lack of chemistry if anything. They were quite good in HBP though, I'll give them that.

For best chemistry, I'd say the Phelps brothers. I don't know, it was almost like they really were twins or something :)

LyannaS September 22nd, 2012 8:43 pm

Re: Best and Worst Chemistry in the HP Series
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SeverusSnapeHBP (Post 6039516)
I loved the chemistry between Daniel and Alan. There was just something so visceral about it and it really was a pleasure watching them on screen. The same with Gambon and Smith. They made McGonagall and Dumbledore's relationship seem almost romantic.

Yes about Daniel and Alan, I loved their scenes together, how there's this smoldering hatred underneath their least interactions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TenderHooligan (Post 6040880)
For best chemistry, I'd say the Phelps brothers. I don't know, it was almost like they really were twins or something :)

Well, they are twins, aren't they? Or am I missing something?

ShadowSonic September 22nd, 2012 9:28 pm

Re: Best and Worst Chemistry in the HP Series
 
Tender was making a joke, ;).

LyannaS September 22nd, 2012 10:44 pm

Re: Best and Worst Chemistry in the HP Series
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowSonic (Post 6041423)
Tender was making a joke, ;).

Oh. Silly me. Thanks for pointing out the humour I misssed. :blush:

Quote:

Dan and Emma are good friends in RL; Rupe not so much.
We do have to take real life relationships into account, don't we? That does explain it.

Tom Felton is also friends with Emma, isn't he? I remember a video of him dancing with her, in their Yule Ball costumes. They seemed to have had a great time. Too bad there's not too much interaction between them in the movies, apart from that scene where she punches and shoves him - that one was great!

Fury September 22nd, 2012 10:51 pm

Re: Best and Worst Chemistry in the HP Series
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by LyannaS (Post 6041451)

Tom Felton is also friends with Emma, isn't he? I remember a video of him dancing with her, in their Yule Ball costumes. They seemed to have had a great time. Too bad there's not too much interaction between them in the movies, apart from that scene where she punches and shoves him - that one was great!

They really discussed the punch... Tom was like "Come on, Emma, give it all you got!" and she really punched him, and she felt so bad for it.

ShadowSonic September 22nd, 2012 10:52 pm

Re: Best and Worst Chemistry in the HP Series
 
Rupert was also the oldest of the three, so maybe that played a bit into RL relationships between them.

Quote:

They really discussed the punch... Tom was like "Come on, Emma, give it all you got!" and she really punched him, and she felt so bad for it.
Originally, it was meant to be a slap like the book. She really slapped him and felt awful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L486V...eature=related


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 4:15 am.

Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Original content is Copyright MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright its respective owners.