Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   Television (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=199)
-   -   Downton Abbey - contains spoilers for season 4 (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=127628)

padfootrules October 17th, 2011 3:46 am

Re: Downton Abbey
 
I really really hate Mrs Crawley...good lord if she were my mother, I would be glad to be in the frontlines facing death than this woman's ego...hmph... she is my least favourite character in the series. She is neither deliciously devious or the good guy with layers...she is just blah and worse she is a self righteous blah...argh! Rant over...:lol:

decarus October 17th, 2011 3:57 am

Re: Downton Abbey
 
Spoiler: show
Mrs. Crawley was alright in this episode. I think she called Mary heroic for looking after her son. She was only in the episode for like thirty seconds.

I hope that some of what happened in this episode gets worked out. I actually hope that Matthew is able to have children at least if not walk again. Though if the heir who they thought was on the titanic is not dead then who knows. Even if Matthew is not the heir it would still be nice if he and Mary could work it out. Then maybe the heir can get together with the second sister since she seems to want it so bad.

I am not sure where this show is leading after this episode, but i am glad that all of the characters are back in the same place for the most part.

Drusilla October 19th, 2011 5:15 pm

Re: Downton Abbey
 
I'm not a big Mrs Crawley fan, but I didn't mind her in the last episode.

decarus October 19th, 2011 7:27 pm

Re: Downton Abbey
 
I don't think Mrs. Crawley is much worse then the mother. They both are annoying in their own ways and yet i see where they are both coming from at the same time.

Also i dislike the third sister, Sibyl, being with the chauffeur. I don't really know what is going on there, but she could do better. He seems to have his own thing going on and it has little to do with her.

Moriath October 20th, 2011 5:45 pm

Re: Downton Abbey
 
I think my problem with Sybil and Branson is that it feels so forced. He tells her what to feel, she doesn't respond the way he wants. And the same scene seems to be repeated ad nauseam. Has their relationship gone anywhere since last season? I think not. And apparently a few years have passed.

decarus October 20th, 2011 7:49 pm

Re: Downton Abbey
 
Yeah, i agree. The Sybil/Branson relationship does feel very forced. And i don't quite get what she finds interesting about him because he seems radical in a way that is not good. I mean be radical if you want, but not like that. He is supposed to be out there anyways because he is a socialist. And sometimes i think he is trying to force the relationship because he believes that there should be no difference between the two of them and not because he really cares for her. The fact that there has been no change and it has been years doesn't help the matter.

I hope that doesn't go anywhere is all i am saying though i imagine it will.

decarus November 1st, 2011 1:32 am

Re: Downton Abbey
 
The last episode was great. I love the scene with Maggie Smith and Matthew. She just went in there and said it like it was and it was such a great scene and so good for it to be out there. Scenes like that are what i love about this show.

I also really liked the scene where Mary told off Carson even though she was wrong. Because you can see that she is scared of her fiance and doesn't know how to get out of it so she is trying to make the best of it and is embarrassed by the situation. I am hoping that her fiance runs off with Matthew's girl. There is clearly something going on with them that they are lying about and that would neatly solve both problems.

Maggie Smith is so right. Forty or fifty years together is not something to take lightly just because his fiance stuck with him in the moment. He was still rich and would be an Earl so it wasn't as if what she was doing was the worst thing ever. Certainly not to give her forty or fifty years.

I am also so glad that Sybil went back with Mary and Edith and that they found out in time to bring her back. I am still hoping that relationship doesn't go any further though i still think it will. Good episode all around.

Yoana November 1st, 2011 9:52 am

Re: Downton Abbey
 
I think I'm sort of in love with Matthew. That scene in series one where he says "Don't play with me" to Mary, hopeful and confident at the same time, my knees go weak just remembering it. There's something very attractive about such honourable straightforwardness.

Liselle November 12th, 2011 9:23 pm

Re: Downton Abbey
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoana (Post 5918568)
I think I'm sort of in love with Matthew. That scene in series one where he says "Don't play with me" to Mary, hopeful and confident at the same time, my knees go weak just remembering it. There's something very attractive about such honourable straightforwardness.

I think we're all a little bit in love with Matthew! I've slightly mixed feelings over all about the series but I come out on the side of ADORING it. Yes the time lines were a bit funny and there were an awful lot of extra story lines thrown in but it was enough to make me LONG for the xmas day special which I promise I will be watching!

The whole Matthew/Mary/Lavinia triangle was done well - there was a lot of stiff upper lip plus it was easy to dislike Richard so so so much. How un-likeable! I've come to the conclusion though

Spoiler: show
that it will be Edith who ends up with Matthew as 1) there was the whole scene with her grandmother telling her that her time will come, 2) renew the tension between Mary and herself

decarus November 13th, 2011 1:30 am

Re: Downton Abbey
 
I have been hoping that Edith runs off with Mary's fiance. He would still get his good blood and Mary could be on her own to do what she wants.

PS. So we are not getting a new Downton Abbey until Christmas?

Yoana November 13th, 2011 12:09 pm

Re: Downton Abbey
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Liselle (Post 5928387)
I've come to the conclusion though

Spoiler: show
that it will be Edith who ends up with Matthew as 1) there was the whole scene with her grandmother telling her that her time will come, 2) renew the tension between Mary and herself

Nooooo! No no no no! How could this happen at all?! I can't think of a way to make it likable OR believable. I really hope you're wrong (sorry!)

Hes November 13th, 2011 8:14 pm

Re: Downton Abbey
 
Spoiler: show
I don´t think Edith deserves Matthew and he definitely shouldn´t be saddled with someone like her. She´s pretty much my least favourite character.

Yoana November 13th, 2011 8:37 pm

Re: Downton Abbey
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hes (Post 5929226)
Spoiler: show
I don´t think Edith deserves Matthew and he definitely shouldn´t be saddled with someone like her. She´s pretty much my least favourite character.

Yeah, I'm not mad about her, either. But I sometimes do feel bad for her. Still, not bad enough to ever approve of that!

Moriath November 14th, 2011 10:08 am

Re: Downton Abbey
 
Edith became more likeable this series, as did Mary, but she's just so desperate. She and the married farmer? She and the badly burnt imposter? I mean, really, Edith, look at your life, look at your choices.
Spoiler: show
If she ended up with Matthew I would be severely disappointed because it would mean he showed an interest and she just went with it because she is so desperate for love and adoration.

Yoana November 14th, 2011 11:59 am

Re: Downton Abbey
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moriath (Post 5929788)
Edith became more likeable this series, as did Mary, but she's just so desperate. She and the married farmer? She and the badly burnt imposter? I mean, really, Edith, look at your life, look at your choices

Yeah, and it doesn't make much sense either - she has all the social advantages to get a good match during the London season. Marriage was much more of a transaction for the aristocracy on those days than for love or even attraction.

freelantzer December 21st, 2011 10:48 pm

Re: Downton Abbey
 
I just finished watching season one in about two days, and I love this show! They haven't aired the second season here, yet, so I have only season one comments. :D

I didn't read your comments on season two, but I did read what you said about season one, and I hate Thomas and OBrien so much! I was so happy when William punched him! And while I still hate OBrien, I'm glad it seemed she was guilt ridden after what she did to Cora. I also started out disliking Edith (is that the second sisters name?), but then i felt for her. Mary is so horrible to her and flaunts her position as the eldest and her looks over her. Mary lying to that old guy who was going to propose was unforgivable! Even if Edith told about Mary and that gorgeous Mr. Pamuk. The rumor was already out and it was true. But Mary didn't only hurt Edith but her suitor, too. I was starting to feel moments of sympathy for Mary until that. :no:

MissGryffindor December 24th, 2011 1:26 am

Re: Downton Abbey
 
I have seen season one and two and cannot WAIT until the Chritmas Special! Perhaps it is because I am of an age where Christmas presents no longer appear to be a surprise, but the thing I am most looking forward to on Christmas Day is the Downton Abbey Christmas Special!

I cannot wait to see if Mary/Matthew happens!!! I have seen a few trailers, and they have just got me more and more excited about this!!!

What I really love about this series is that the servants and the aristocrats seem to be given equal screen time, and so you are as invested in Anna/Bates as you are in Matthew/Mary.

Am counting the hours until the Christmas Special, and not until I open my presents. How pathetic am I?!

:)

Moriath December 28th, 2011 6:58 pm

Re: Downton Abbey
 
*flails* The Christmas special was fantastic. Nothing like series two, which was often too melodramatic and contrived. I was excited to see things moving along, especially the romantic plots. And I didn't miss Sybil and Branson at all. Finally, Matthew and Mary happened, and how beautifully done it was! So clichéd and yet so good.

Yoana December 29th, 2011 6:44 am

Re: Downton Abbey
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moriath (Post 5955145)
*flails* The Christmas special was fantastic. Nothing like series two, which was often too melodramatic and contrived. I was excited to see things moving along, especially the romantic plots. And I didn't miss Sybil and Branson at all. Finally, Matthew and Mary happened, and how beautifully done it was! So clichéd and yet so good.

Yes yes yes. This is basically what I came here to say, almost word for word! I watched it last night and aww-ed myself into a stupor. And definitely a great improvement in quality over the other episodes in series two - I felt more thought was put into both the structure and style, the episode felt coherent and well-paced. I'm totally in love with Matthew. The actor is incredible at playing someone in love. Also, his is the character they didn't once screw up, in my opinion. So dreamy.

decarus December 29th, 2011 8:45 pm

Re: Downton Abbey
 
Does anyone else think that huge chunks of the past episodes, not the most current episode, but some of the past ones this series have been cut out? Maybe i am not watching the full versions, but they have seemed like pieces were missing.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 7:52 am.

Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Original content is Copyright © MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright © its respective owners.