Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   In Cinemas & General Movie discussion (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=196)
-   -   Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.3 (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=126256)

Yoana January 16th, 2011 10:45 am

Re: Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.3

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad_Druid (Post 5685165)
Meet the Parents: Little Fockers - 1/10

I haven't seen either of the previous instalments and I want my 98 minutes back.

They're not much better, if you ask me.

lcbaseball22 January 16th, 2011 12:32 pm

Quote:

I haven't seen either of the previous instalments and I want my 98 minutes back.

The previous installments are awesome (some of the best comedies of the last decade, though admittedly that's not saying much :lol:) but I don't even want to see this one...I've heard really bad word, even from others who loved the first two. Ugh, they should have stopped while they were ahead. :relax:

Perlidia January 16th, 2011 12:44 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad_Druid (Post 5682219)
I especially liked the two brief scenes in which Rudyard Kipling and King George V interact. The latter, especially, with it's mention of young Prince John -- subject of the fantastic BBC miniseries The Lost Prince.

I really liked that also, I became fascinated with the young Prince John after seeing "The Lost Prince", which is a wonderful, wonderful television drama; Miranda Richardson is excellent as Queen Mary. I am a huge, huge fan of Stephen Poliakoff; my favourite drama of his is "A Real Summer" the prequel to "Capturing Mary".

Getting back to "My boy Jack", I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by Kim Cattrall and I liked Carey Mulligan, but overall the drama made very little impact on me.

ohsnapkid January 16th, 2011 5:06 pm

Finally got around to seeing The Social Network. Decent film (6/10), but I'm frightened that so many critics and film viewers gave it such high acclaim.

Then again, Fight Club is also one of the most overrated movies ever - David Fincher must really appeal to the mainstream audience.

Pearl_Took January 17th, 2011 12:10 am

The King's Speech. :). 10/10 for a flawlessly engaging piece of film-making.

Colin Firth for an Oscar! :clap: And everyone else was marvellous too.

NumberEight January 17th, 2011 1:21 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohsnapkid (Post 5685281)
Finally got around to seeing The Social Network. Decent film (6/10), but I'm frightened that so many critics and film viewers gave it such high acclaim.

Why are you frightened? What didn't you like about it?

Rastaban43 January 17th, 2011 2:08 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohsnapkid (Post 5685281)

Then again, Fight Club is also one of the most overrated movies ever - David Fincher must really appeal to the mainstream audience.

I think critics and audiences alike appreciate Fincher's ability to blend arty cinema with mass appeal -- sort of like Christopher Nolan and to a lesser extent Guy Richie and Danny Boyle. Nothing to be afraid of, is there? :)

lcbaseball22 January 17th, 2011 11:22 am

The Social Network (re-watch)

Acting- 9.5
Script- 8
Visuals- 9.5
Sound- 10
Editing- 9

Total Score = 92

Verdict- overall score doesn't change but further weaknesses were exposed in some areas and greater appreciation was gained in others. :p

Mad_Druid January 17th, 2011 12:11 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoana (Post 5685172)
They're not much better, if you ask me.

Yeah, it's not something that I'd ever see of my own volition, but it was a friend's birthday choice. I'll be steering clear of its predecessors.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perlidia (Post 5685189)
I really liked that also, I became fascinated with the young Prince John after seeing "The Lost Prince", which is a wonderful, wonderful television drama; Miranda Richardson is excellent as Queen Mary. I am a huge, huge fan of Stephen Poliakoff; my favourite drama of his is "A Real Summer" the prequel to "Capturing Mary".

I became interested in him after seeing The Lost Prince, too. :agree: The entire cast is outstanding.

Vita January 18th, 2011 6:34 pm

Up Syndrome - Its a documentary about a man with Down Syndrome. Its fascinating, hilarious and heart breaking at the same time. Its free on Netflix streaming right now so if anyone has that look for it. I highly recommend it.

ohsnapkid January 19th, 2011 3:16 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rastaban43 (Post 5685560)
I think critics and audiences alike appreciate Fincher's ability to blend arty cinema with mass appeal -- sort of like Christopher Nolan and to a lesser extent Guy Richie and Danny Boyle. Nothing to be afraid of, is there? :)

Probably a bit of hyperbole on my part - don't get me wrong, it's a well-made and relatively interesting film. If it got a moderate amount of acclaim I'd have no problem with that, but I truly don't understand what people could possibly be reading into the film to call it a masterpiece and such.

MmeBergerac January 19th, 2011 2:30 pm

The Winslow Boy 8.5/10

I guess most of people will say this movie is slow, and it's true that you never can forget that it comes from a stage play. But I love it anyway. Jeremy Norhtam is at his best, and his last ten minutes are worth any prize he could have been given.

AldeberanBlack January 19th, 2011 4:29 pm

Interview With The Vampire

Great film. Cruise, Pitt and Banderas are certainly the most attractive male vampires I have ever seen, but I couldn't help but notice how obviously vampiric Brad Pitt looks throughout the film. There's no way he could possibly have blended into society for 200 years without arousing suspicion. Kirsten Dunst steals the movie IMO. Christian Slater is under-used, although the ending is top quality.

Fury January 19th, 2011 8:37 pm

The Rock: 9/10 (Rewatch)

One of the most fun movies I've ever seen. It is just plain fun and awesome action. Nicolas Cage and Sean Connery work great together.

Pox Voldius January 20th, 2011 3:00 am

Rare Exports

9/10

A wonderful, twisted film from Finland.

MmeBergerac January 20th, 2011 7:59 am

The Apartment: 9.9/10

I loved it when I saw it in Spanish, but last night I could watch the original version for the first time and it's still better. Story, script, direction and characters and acting are as close to perfection as possible. And the more I watch it, the more I love Jack Lemmon.

Yoana January 20th, 2011 9:10 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AldeberanBlack (Post 5686956)
Interview With The Vampire

Great film. Cruise, Pitt and Banderas are certainly the most attractive male vampires I have ever seen

Oh yes. I need to rewatch this...

Fawkesfan1 January 20th, 2011 11:09 pm

Quote:

Don't blame ya. It was ok... but I have to admit that they relied too much on the whole sex jokes premise.

It got rather old after awhile.

Meet the Parents: Little Fockers -- 6/10 to 7/10 (depending on my mood -- and normally it would only get around a 4/10 from me, since the script and such wasn't that good -- I only gave it a higher score since it made me laugh and the acting wasn't too bad)

An ok movie that relies too much on sex jokes (like I said earlier in this post). A few of them every so often is ok -- but when the movie is full of them... it becomes overkill.

As for the acting -- everyone did a decent job from what I could tell.

Overall, this movie is good enough for a laugh every so often.

lcbaseball22 January 21st, 2011 1:44 am

The King's Speech-

Acting- 10
Script- 9.5
Visuals- 9
Sound- 9
Editing- 9

Total Score = 93

Verdict- A moving story and incredible performances from some of Britain's best...it just further cements how great 2010 was for film. :tu:

Quote:

Originally Posted by MmeBergerac (Post 5687347)
The Apartment: 9.9/10

I loved it when I saw it in Spanish, but last night I could watch the original version for the first time and it's still better. Story, script, direction and characters and acting are as close to perfection as possible. And the more I watch it, the more I love Jack Lemmon.

Absolutely agree...is about as close to perfect as any film I've seen. :agree: I prefer Wilder's Some Like It Hot more, but that's immaterial.

Fury January 21st, 2011 1:50 am

Star Trek (New one) (re-watch) - 9/10

Loved this movie. I was never a trekker myself, but this new version of Star Trek is a fun ride!