Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   In Cinemas & General Movie discussion (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=196)
-   -   Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.3 (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=126256)

Zeelee June 7th, 2012 2:32 pm

Re: Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.3

Prometheus - 9/10

Awesome movie! I had a couple of quips that annoyed me but apart from that it is a movie sci-fi and Alien fans will enjoy.

Yoana June 8th, 2012 8:32 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pearl_Took (Post 6016089)
This film was so ground-breaking when it came out in 1979. :) Not least for Sigourney Weaver's definitive role. It's still rare for a film to have an intelligent, strong heroine at the helm.

Agreed about Weaver. They usually cast a man in this kind of role and having a woman instead was very exciting for me personally because I rarely get to identify with a female character who isn't a stereotype, to be honest. It sucks that
Spoiler: show
they kill her in Alien 3 though - somehow I don't think they would have killed Stalone or Bruce Willis.

I watched Aliens last night and I thought it was better than the first part. I slapped my hands on my face and screamed on several occasions. It was sufficiently scary and very suspenseful, and Sigourney Weaver's presence is powerful.

I especially liked that Cameron bothered to include a realistic, human reaction to her facing the monsters again - she had a believable traumatised reaction, like an actual person who has to face her biggest nightmare again, instead of a robot who's like, "Let's kill the thing" from the get-go and runs entirely on hate and destructive determination. I like when films incorporate humanity and psychology regardless of genre; it's one of the more difficult things to do in filmmaking, I think.

Midnightsfire June 8th, 2012 1:25 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoana (Post 6016261)
Agreed about Weaver. They usually cast a man in this kind of role and having a woman instead was very exciting for me personally because I rarely get to identify with a female character who isn't a stereotype, to be honest. It sucks that
they kill her in Alien 3 though - somehow I don't think they would have killed Stalone or Bruce Willis.

I heard in an interview that Weaver wanted that 3rd movie after the 2nd movie was so gung ho violent since she referred to herself as more of a pacifist.
The character of Ellen Ripley was resurrected in Alien 4. I wanted to like it, but it was/is just an awful movie.

ccollinsmith June 8th, 2012 4:49 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midnightsfire (Post 6016280)
I heard in an interview that Weaver wanted that 3rd movie after the 2nd movie was so gung ho violent since she referred to herself as more of a pacifist.
The character of Ellen Ripley was resurrected in Alien 4. I wanted to like it, but it was/is just an awful movie.

Part of the reason Alien Resurrection is such an awful movie is that it does the opposite of what Yoana likes about Aliens - it robs Ripley of her humanity. Because of the superhuman qualities she gets from the alien DNA, there's never any sense that she's actually in danger.

Oh, and then it also has one the worst lines in the history of horror/sci fi: "You're a beautiful butterfly." I saw that film one time - in the theater in 1997 - and I've never forgotten THAT! Thank goodness Brad Dourif got the chance to redeem that role via his awesome portrayal of Wormtongue!

As for Alien / Aliens... They are two very different films. I agree with Pearl that in 1979, Alien was groundbreaking... especially after a decade of mostly mediocre horror. I love the film's claustrophobic creepiness. And the alien

jumping out of John Hurt's chest

was absolutely shocking the first time everybody saw it.

I love Cameron's film for its action/adventure non-stop roller coaster ride. But as cinema, I do prefer Ridley Scott's film.

I can hardly wait to see Prometheus! We're going on Sunday afternoon. :)

Midnightsfire June 10th, 2012 1:35 am

Prometheus

(For the sake of clarity, "Alien/s" refers to the horrific nightmarish aliens that we're all familiar with in the Alien franchise. The other aliens are referred to as "Engineers.")

The movie is definitely a prequel to all the Aliens stuff, but I feel that Ridley Scott is going to go in another direction if he continues with a sequel to the prequel...(that's so cute. I amuse me sometimes)

We see humanity's origin as well as the Alien's. The whole...thing with the Engineers was interesting. I won't get into the typical rant about the science provided (especially that "star map?" Thousands of years ago? Not likely since the stars have shifted since...), especially seeing that the Engineers seemed to have the same faults as humanity. (Stands to reason that their DNA sequence matched human...which makes me itch...Seriously?? But no...)
Clever move on the production to cast the actors to the characters that survived. Thereby keeping Rapace and Fassbender tied in.

On the whole however, I was entertained enough and see this as a nice introduction to whatever comes next.

HedwigOwl June 10th, 2012 7:03 pm

MirrorMask - 4/10
Visuals were the interesting thing. Storyline OK, but way too predictable, and the pace of the film was really slow; almost turned it off 3 or 4 times.

ccollinsmith June 11th, 2012 1:36 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midnightsfire (Post 6016667)
Prometheus

Clever move on the production to cast the actors to the characters that survived. Thereby keeping Rapace and Fassbender tied in.

I thought so too. They were obviously setting up Rapace to become the next Sigourney Weaver. With that ending, it's obvious they're not done with her character yet.

However, I suspect I already know the answer to her question.

I don't think the engineers created us and then turned on us and decided to kill us. I think we were created as part of their weapons test. I suspect that, from our inception, we were never intended to survive. At best, we were just lab rats or crash test dummies to the engineers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midnightsfire (Post 6016667)
On the whole however, I was entertained enough and see this as a nice introduction to whatever comes next.

:agree: Me too. Also, I loved Ridley Scott's pacing - the slow build up. Great to have Scott back at the helm. :D

I'm thinking B+ right now... But I may have been affected by my neighbor's inability to sit still. I'll see it again and see if my rating goes higher. And I also plan to rewatch Alien this week.

RikuStark June 11th, 2012 3:15 am

Thor
7.5/10 I finally got around to watching this movie. It wasn't bad, the visuals were great, but how they laid out the story was a bit confusing to me. There were some parts where I wondered why one character was doing something, then at another part I was confused at how they did something. Other then that, it was a good film. Oh, and that one girl in the movie(I forgot her name) was really annoying. I feel like she was only in the film to make funny comments. (That weren't even that funny!)

Midnightsfire June 11th, 2012 3:54 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccollinsmith (Post 6016809)
However, I suspect I already know the answer to her question.

I don't think the engineers created us and then turned on us and decided to kill us. I think we were created as part of their weapons test. I suspect that, from our inception, we were never intended to survive. At best, we were just lab rats or crash test dummies to the engineers.

I have some doubts.
They were human for all intents and purposes, thus they likely had all the high-minded ideals that Earthlings have, as well as their faults, such as arrogance, aggression.
The "seeding" of their DNA on Earth was possibly done by a scientist willing to die for some cause. A cause possibly not shared with by the more militant caste. One of which was the only one left alive at that installation. We must remember that thousands of years passed by between events. And even though there was cryogenic stasis involved...people do change.

As the Captain of the Prometheus put it, it was a military installation that was created far from the Engineers home because of WMD being developed.
This comment was shot across the bow and I think mostly correct. I don't think it was initially used as a WMD. We saw the holographic imagery that was thousands of years old and appeared to be them planning other worlds' development, which was awesome btw!

About that one Engineer...waking up...surrounded by what he'd likely see as "monkeys," and the only one attempting to talk to him was an android, or what he might have saw; a caricature of human life. Which I would think be seen as an incredible insult. Which would fit in with Engineers' arrogance.
All specualtion I know, but I did have some fun with the questions that were deliberately unanswered.

AldeberanBlack June 11th, 2012 4:07 am

"Over The Top"

Stallone trying to prove himself to his estranged son by winning an arm wrestling tournament.

It's hilariously ridiculous.

RikuStark June 13th, 2012 4:41 am

Snow White and the Huntsmen.

8/10, I surprisingly liked it a lot. I did have a couple problems with it, but those problems didn't detract from my enjoyment of the film. Very beautiful movie, the acting was good enough, and the story was was done well. The battle at the end could have been...Longer? But it got down what it sent out to do, Snow White is no action hero. :lol:

ccollinsmith June 17th, 2012 5:14 am

Alien - A+

Just watched it tonight for the first time in about a decade. It is still, in my opinion, the gold standard in the Alien franchise. Pacing, set design, scoring, acting - all absolutely perfect (at least for my taste :)). Man, what a great movie!

Regarding Prometheus...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midnightsfire (Post 6016818)
I have some doubts.
They were human for all intents and purposes, thus they likely had all the high-minded ideals that Earthlings have, as well as their faults, such as arrogance, aggression.
The "seeding" of their DNA on Earth was possibly done by a scientist willing to die for some cause. A cause possibly not shared with by the more militant caste. One of which was the only one left alive at that installation. We must remember that thousands of years passed by between events. And even though there was cryogenic stasis involved...people do change.

As the Captain of the Prometheus put it, it was a military installation that was created far from the Engineers home because of WMD being developed.
This comment was shot across the bow and I think mostly correct. I don't think it was initially used as a WMD. We saw the holographic imagery that was thousands of years old and appeared to be them planning other worlds' development, which was awesome btw!

About that one Engineer...waking up...surrounded by what he'd likely see as "monkeys," and the only one attempting to talk to him was an android, or what he might have saw; a caricature of human life. Which I would think be seen as an incredible insult. Which would fit in with Engineers' arrogance.
All specualtion I know, but I did have some fun with the questions that were deliberately unanswered.

I need to see the movie again to get more of the details (the guy next to me last week just could not sit still!), but I'm not quite following you. I'm not sure why having the same DNA as humans implies that they have the same high ideals.

Alien references below (I'm assuming based on previous discussion that you know the film, but I'll add even MORE spoiler tags for anyone who hasn't ;))...
In watching Alien tonight, it seemed to me that engineers were really bent on destruction. I know that the UR-alien was produced by feeding off of DNA from both the earth-humans and the engineers, but I think the acid blood must have come from the engineers' experiments.

But like I said, I really need to see it again, now that I've rewatched Alien, and I'll let you know what I think about this issue once I've done that. :)

Goddess_Clio June 18th, 2012 6:02 pm

I decided that I wanted to see Prometheus so I found Alien and watched it.

Alien 7/10
I know it's a classic and probably deserves a higher rating than that but seeing as how the scariest moment in the movie has been parodied so many times and I was so familiar with it that it had virtually no impact and that the rest of the movie had so little action compared to the horror movies I'm used to... I don't know, I expected more.

Aliens ?/10
I'm still trying to watch it. I'll report back when I've finished it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoana (Post 6016261)

I watched Aliens last night and I thought it was better than the first part. I slapped my hands on my face and screamed on several occasions. It was sufficiently scary and very suspenseful, and Sigourney Weaver's presence is powerful.

I especially liked that Cameron bothered to include a realistic, human reaction to her facing the monsters again - she had a believable traumatised reaction, like an actual person who has to face her biggest nightmare again, instead of a robot who's like, "Let's kill the thing" from the get-go and runs entirely on hate and destructive determination. I like when films incorporate humanity and psychology regardless of genre; it's one of the more difficult things to do in filmmaking, I think.

I'm about 30 minutes into the movie and I have had it paused on my computer for about a week as i've tried to get into it. i'm hoping your review lends a better experience for me than Alien was - I want some scares!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccollinsmith (Post 6016321)
As for Alien / Aliens... They are two very different films. I agree with Pearl that in 1979, Alien was groundbreaking... especially after a decade of mostly mediocre horror. I love the film's claustrophobic creepiness. And the alien

jumping out of John Hurt's chest

was absolutely shocking the first time everybody saw it.

... does that really need a spoiler tag? :lol: That's the only thing I've known about Alien and I only saw the movie for the first time two weeks ago. For me it's been parodied so many times in other places that I can't see it and be scared by it, I laugh. (When I watched it for the first time two weeks ago I immediately thought of the space bar scene in Space Balls :rotfl: "Hello my baby, hello, my honey, hello my rag time gal!")

ccollinsmith June 18th, 2012 7:32 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goddess_Clio (Post 6018556)
... does that really need a spoiler tag? :lol: That's the only thing I've known about Alien and I only saw the movie for the first time two weeks ago. For me it's been parodied so many times in other places that I can't see it and be scared by it, I laugh. (When I watched it for the first time two weeks ago I immediately thought of the space bar scene in Space Balls :rotfl: "Hello my baby, hello, my honey, hello my rag time gal!")

I'm sorry that you did not have the opportunity to see it at a time when everybody found it shocking. It's not the fault of Ridley Scott that it was so effective that other people attempted to soften the blow by turning it into nervous laughter. In fact, the parodies and tributes only demonstrate the extent to which it became seared in the public consciousness.

And yes, I think it does need a spoiler tag because there are still "innocent viewers" out there for Alien. I was an innocent viewer when I first saw it, several years after the film came out, and I remember my reaction.

I'm sorry you missed out on that experience... just as I missed out on the "innocent" experience of the shower scene in Psycho.

Midnightsfire June 19th, 2012 12:24 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccollinsmith (Post 6018314)
I need to see the movie again to get more of the details (the guy next to me last week just could not sit still!), but I'm not quite following you. I'm not sure why having the same DNA as humans implies that they have the same high ideals.

It's a science thing...which is kind of annoying I admit.
The idea is that all human emotion is based upon biochemistry. DNA is the basis for such biochemistry. Same DNA implies the same capacity for feeling and emotive range. I don't want to get too far into this line of thought since it can follow a rather far digression and supposition upon the Engineers.

ccollinsmith June 19th, 2012 4:27 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midnightsfire (Post 6018639)
It's a science thing...which is kind of annoying I admit.
The idea is that all human emotion is based upon biochemistry. DNA is the basis for such biochemistry. Same DNA implies the same capacity for feeling and emotive range. I don't want to get too far into this line of thought since it can follow a rather far digression and supposition upon the Engineers.

Okay, I understand your point now. Thank you. But it still does not presuppose, imo, that the creation of humans on earth would have been done for idealistic purposes.

I do guess that if we want to carry the discussion any further, though, we should go to the Prometheus thread. :)

Goddess_Clio June 25th, 2012 6:51 pm

Aliens - 8.5/10
Still didn't really find it scary but I thought it was a lot more exciting than Alien was and while I wasn't ever really startled or scared by moments there were certainly some edge-of-my-seat moments.

Probably would have gotten a higher rating if I weren't so jaded by the spoofs... :p

Oh, and I get what others have said about how JKR ripped off Ripley's line but, as ccollinsmith said, it's probably been sufficiently ingrained in public consciousness that if JKR was conscious of having heard something like that before she probably didn't realize where the original inspiration came from.

MHPFAN June 25th, 2012 7:11 pm

Brave 7/10.

Visually stunning movie, but the story lacked a little oomph that the Pixar people are famous for. I loved Merida's hair, though! :love:

ccollinsmith June 25th, 2012 9:41 pm

Men in Black 3 - A (9.5/10)

I wanted to see this weeks ago, but first I hurt my knee, and then I got a sick, and then other things came up (like opening weekend for Prometheus). I finally managed to make it to the theater this morning. :D

It is hands down my favorite of the MIB series. Josh Brolin is perfect as Young K. The script is clever and even a bit poignant in places. And the effects are great. No, the film is not profound or anything. But it's sort of a perfect summer popcorn movie.

I think this will be the last MIB movie. If so, I'm glad they went out on a bang, not a whimper.

Midnightsfire June 26th, 2012 1:16 am

I saw Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter. And it wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be.