Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   Television (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=199)
-   -   Community (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=122974)

freelantzer October 12th, 2009 7:37 am

Community

Is anybody watching Community on NBC? It stars Joel McHale as a lawyer who has to return to college when his degree is revoked. He forms a study group to meet a girl, but unexpectedly, this group of misfits begin to bond. Chevy Chase and Ken Jeong also star.

I started watching because the previews reminded me of The Office. It's a bit uneven, but I think it has potential and once it finds its footing, will be a solid comedy. Some of the best parts are the professors. Ken Jeung is hilarious, and I loved the professor who fancied himself Mr. Keating from Dead Poets Society. The closing moments with Abed and Troy are becoming my favorite part of the show; I hope they keep those up.

IenjoyAcidPops October 12th, 2009 3:03 pm

Re: Community

I've been watching and I think it's the best of the new shows I've seen this season. They're balancing tone pretty nicely, snarky and cynical but just likeable enough - that just about describes Joel McHale's persona, too. (Actually, it reminds me more of "Seinfeld" than anything currently on NBC in its style/tone.) But I'm particularly impressed with Chevy Chase, who hasn't been this funny since Christmas Vacation era. And I'm with you on Ken Jeong - I don't know if he's a series regular, but if he's not, he should be, because the guy's hilarious.

freelantzer November 1st, 2009 1:08 am

I loved the Halloween episode! Abed as Batman, saying the most mundane things in that Bale growl! "Chex mix, pretzels, baby carrots. Predictable but appetizing." :rotfl: He stole the episode.

IenjoyAcidPops November 1st, 2009 5:19 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by freelantzer (Post 5447654)
I loved the Halloween episode! Abed as Batman, saying the most mundane things in that Bale growl! "Chex mix, pretzels, baby carrots. Predictable but appetizing." :rotfl: He stole the episode.

I'm with you there, he was easily the highlight, although it was a great episode all around. I mean, everyone does a Christian Bale impression (usually not well - and this includes me), but that closing monologue in particular was great. :rotfl:

deathplce4myhed November 1st, 2009 5:41 am

I have watched one episode.

Or part of it...I like it and would watch it if I had cable...where I live.

freelantzer November 1st, 2009 6:01 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IenjoyAcidPops (Post 5447795)
that closing monologue in particular was great.

Absolutely! He's perched on the edge of the building, all gargoyle/Batman-like. Then he puts on his chapstick! :rotfl:

freelantzer December 29th, 2009 5:16 am

They're showing a four-episode block tonight. :tu:

deathplce4myhed January 6th, 2010 10:02 pm

Ken Jeong the weird chinese dude?

I was watching an ep where he was letting this little fight go down between Joel Mchales character and some dude, I loved how the teacher was like, this is the most intersting thing that has happend in an exam I am allowing it...lol..

I love this show now, my dad doesn't really like it, I think it is is great.

I do not like Chevy Chase.

freelantzer January 7th, 2010 7:28 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deathplce4myhed (Post 5478833)
I was watching an ep where he was letting this little fight go down between Joel Mchales character and some dude, I loved how the teacher was like, this is the most intersting thing that has happend in an exam I am allowing it...lol..

I love that part! And right before that fight happenend, Senor Chang was just slouching in his chair with his head hanging back going, "Soooo boring!" :lol: That is exactly how teachers feel during exams.

Linda86 June 19th, 2010 12:22 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by deathplce4myhed (Post 5478833)
I do not like Chevy Chase.

LOL! I just love how you ended your post with that sentence. Who is everyone's favorite character? I like Abed. He is so funny & sweet & smart. I'm really glad Community is successful because I was afraid viewers might just view Joel McHale as the host of The Soup (which is equally an awesome show). He does well in a sitcom! I wonder if he contributes lines?

Fawkesfan1 July 15th, 2010 10:57 pm

I'm not a fan of this show myself... but I found out some interesting news today, for all of you 'Community' fans out there...

Betty White is to guest star on the premiere episode of 'Community'

freelantzer July 15th, 2010 11:04 pm

^That's great news! :lol: Can't wait to see what the Community writers will do with that. :D

ETA: Just saw that they're moving The Big Bang Theory opposite of Community next season. :sigh: I already have too many things to record on Thursday nights. I didn't get to see all of Community last season because of that--only saw the ones that aired when one of my other shows was showing a repeat. :shrug:

Fawkesfan1 July 15th, 2010 11:07 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by freelantzer (Post 5569498)
^That's great news! :lol: Can't wait to see what the Community writers will do with that. :D

Yea it is! She's one heck of a comedic actress :D.

As for the show, both my mom and I tried watching it... and ended up not thinking it was really that good (no offense). Not our cup of tea I guess. But to each their own :). Hope you guys have fun watching her there and hope that she brings her A game to the show.

freelantzer July 15th, 2010 11:11 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 (Post 5569501)
As for the show, both my mom and I tried watching it... and ended up not thinking it was really that good (no offense).

I saw many of the early episodes and liked them. I understand that it got even better as the season progressed. I think it's a show that requires an appreciation of that specific type of humor--like The Office. I adore that show, but I know many people who just don't see what's funny about it. Everyone has a different sense of humor; There are other shows tons of people love that I don't really see anything funny in. To each his own. :)

Fawkesfan1 July 15th, 2010 11:17 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by freelantzer (Post 5569505)
I saw many of the early episodes and liked them. I understand that it got even better as the season progressed. I think it's a show that requires an appreciation of that specific type of humor--like The Office. I adore that show, but I know many people who just don't see what's funny about it. Everyone has a different sense of humor; There are other shows tons of people love that I don't really see anything funny in. To each his own. :)

Cool. So true and that's what's so great about tv in general, there's something for everyone.

It really does encompass the old saying: To each his own :).

It just seemed to random and silly at times I guess :hmm:.

freelantzer July 15th, 2010 11:23 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 (Post 5569517)
It just seemed to random and silly at times I guess .

Yeah. :D That's what I loved about it. :lol:

Fawkesfan1 July 15th, 2010 11:30 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by freelantzer (Post 5569526)
Yeah. :D That's what I loved about it. :lol:

Ah :lol:. I can take quite a bit of it myself... but this show seemed a little bit over the top there in that department.

freelantzer July 15th, 2010 11:33 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 (Post 5569536)
Ah . I can take quite a bit of it myself... but this show seemed a little bit over the top there in that department.

I liked it because they seemed to always be parodying something else. Like there was this one episode where they made fun of Dead Poets Society--one of my favorite movies. There was this professor who was all, "Seize the day! That's how you pass my class! Do something crazy!" And then you'd seem him in the background randomly climbing a tree in the quad or something. :lol:

Fawkesfan1 July 16th, 2010 12:03 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by freelantzer (Post 5569542)
I liked it because they seemed to always be parodying something else. Like there was this one episode where they made fun of Dead Poets Society--one of my favorite movies. There was this professor who was all, "Seize the day! That's how you pass my class! Do something crazy!" And then you'd seem him in the background randomly climbing a tree in the quad or something. :lol:

Ah cool :) -- I'd probably like it ok, if it weren't quite so over the top. I loved Dead Poets Society... that had to be a random episode :lol:.

freelantzer July 16th, 2010 12:08 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 (Post 5569568)
I loved Dead Poets Society... that had to be a random episode .

Such a good movie! And bonus--it has Wilson! :love:

That was a random episode. I also particularly loved the Halloween episode where Abed dressed as Batman and kept up the Batman hoarse whisper voice for every conversation. "Chex mix, pretzels, baby carrots: predictable but appetizing!" :lol:

Fawkesfan1 July 16th, 2010 12:35 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by freelantzer (Post 5569574)
Such a good movie! And bonus--it has Wilson! :love:

That was a random episode. I also particularly loved the Halloween episode where Abed dressed as Batman and kept up the Batman hoarse whisper voice for every conversation. "Chex mix, pretzels, baby carrots: predictable but appetizing!" :lol:

Nice :rotfl:. I like it when shows have some randomness... it keeps them fresh... like NCIS does every now and then... but it kind of has to be balanced out... and I couldn't really find it on 'Community' for some reason.

freelantzer July 16th, 2010 12:41 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 (Post 5569606)
and I couldn't really find it on 'Community' for some reason.

The whole show was just too random for you to have any moments of randomness! :D

IenjoyAcidPops July 16th, 2010 1:06 am

What I love most about the show is that it seems to always be trying to see how snarky, idiosyncratic, and (especially) meta/self-referential it can be. The style comes on really strong, almost like, "Let's see how far we can push this, see if you're our kind of viewer." :lol: Maybe that's why there were no Emmy nominations, despite this being reviewed so well; it's just not as accessible as, say, "Modern Family." I personally think Joel McHale, Chevy Chase, Danny Pudi, Ken Jeong, and the series deserved the recognition.

freelantzer July 16th, 2010 1:20 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IenjoyAcidPops (Post 5569628)
(especially) meta/self-referential

I love this apsect of the show! My Name is Earl (in the early seasons before it went down hill) also used to do this a bit, but not as much as Community. I would've liked to see them nominated for an Emmy, too.

Fawkesfan1 July 17th, 2010 7:35 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by freelantzer (Post 5569613)
The whole show was just too random for you to have any moments of randomness! :D

Yep, that's it! You've hit the nail on the head there :lol:...

freelantzer August 28th, 2010 6:34 am

I just caught the episode where the school plays paint ball for a chance to win priority registration. :rotfl: I love how meta this show is.

I also saw that Betty White will be guesting on the season premiere:
EW.com"The 88-year-old portrays demented professor June Bauer, who teaches an anthropology class at the community college where ex-lawyer Jeff (McHale) is enrolled."

IenjoyAcidPops August 28th, 2010 6:49 am

I love that her character is described as "demented."

freelantzer August 28th, 2010 7:12 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IenjoyAcidPops (Post 5598982)
I love that her character is described as "demented."

I know! Can't wait to see what she gets up to. :lol:

IenjoyAcidPops September 24th, 2010 1:14 am

Wow, it's so meta it's now made a reference to being meta. :rotfl:

freelantzer September 26th, 2010 6:23 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IenjoyAcidPops (Post 5615023)
Wow, it's so meta it's now made a reference to being meta.

:rotfl: Loved that!!! Seriously, this show is getting to be one of my favorites.

IenjoyAcidPops September 26th, 2010 6:31 am

Same here; for me, it goes: 1) 30 Rock, 2) Modern Family, 3 Community. I loved the...well, I don't know if "shoutout" is the right word, :lol:, to $*#! My Dad Says over on CBS. And obviously Betty White was great; it actually took longer than I expected for her craziness to be revealed. Her character was described as demented a while back, and while that's not inaccurate, I wanted more dementia! So, hopefully, it's a recurring role.

freelantzer September 26th, 2010 6:35 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IenjoyAcidPops (Post 5616515)
I loved the...well, I don't know if "shoutout" is the right word, , to $*#! My Dad Says over on CBS. And obviously Betty White was great; it actually took longer than I expected for her craziness to be revealed. Her character was described as demented a while back, and while that's not inaccurate, I wanted more dementia! So, hopefully, it's a recurring role.

Oh, yes! They totally bashed the My Dad Says show! :lol: I wonder if they go so meta as to really have Old White Man Says on Twitter . . . I should go look.

Betty White was great, but they definitely built the role up too much in interviews. They already talked about the urine thing, so that wasn't a surprise. I didn't consider anything else she did really that out there for Community--I mean, all the professors are kinda crazy.

I missed some shows last season--tell me how Senor Chang got demoted to just a student.

IenjoyAcidPops September 26th, 2010 6:39 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by freelantzer (Post 5616516)
Betty White was great, but they definitely built the role up too much in interviews. They already talked about the urine thing, so that wasn't a surprise.

Is that right? I hadn't read that myself, so it was a surprise to me.

Quote:

I missed some shows last season--tell me how Senor Chang got demoted to just a student.
Once I remember or find it in a synopsis, I shall. :lol:

freelantzer September 26th, 2010 6:41 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IenjoyAcidPops (Post 5616521)
Once I remember or find it in a synopsis, I shall.

:lol: Thanks. :D
Quote:

Originally Posted by IenjoyAcidPops (Post 5616521)
Is that right? I hadn't read that myself, so it was a surprise to me.

Yeah. Joel McHale spilled that at the Emmy's. I'm pretty sure that's where I saw it.

IenjoyAcidPops October 2nd, 2010 12:21 am

Last night's episode was fine (it featured Ken Jeong popping-and-locking, it couldn't possibly be bad), but that tag was genius. "I may have done some damage there." :rotfl:

freelantzer October 2nd, 2010 3:25 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IenjoyAcidPops (Post 5620231)
Last night's episode was fine (it featured Ken Jeong popping-and-locking, it couldn't possibly be bad), but that tag was genius. "I may have done some damage there."

:lol: I adore the tags with Troy and Abed. Speaking of Troy, he was fantastic in this episode--the bit with breaking into the office and chloroforming the janitor! :lol:

dweaselqueen October 6th, 2010 6:42 pm

Hi guys! I adore Community. It has become my #1 show. Troy and Abed are hilarious.

I loved their tag in the latest episode. "I may have done some damage there." Poor Troy.

Also, the chloroform scene. :rotfl: I can't stop laughing. I've already saved several gifs of Annie attacking the Janitor and Troy's reaction. "My whole brain is crying!" Anytime Donald Glover is crying I'm dying of laughter.

The one thing I really love about this show is that for once, I totally don't care who gets with whom. I know there are some fairly intense shipping wars out there but I honestly could care less and it's so refreshing.

freelantzer October 7th, 2010 12:36 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dweaselqueen (Post 5623068)
The one thing I really love about this show is that for once, I totally don't care who gets with whom. I know there are some fairly intense shipping wars out there but I honestly could care less and it's so refreshing.

:agree: Almost everything else about this show is more interesting to me than the shipper questions. I'd be fine if no one dated anyone from the group.

IenjoyAcidPops October 7th, 2010 12:46 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dweaselqueen (Post 5623068)

Quote:

Originally Posted by freelantzer (Post 5623291)
Almost everything else about this show is more interesting to me than the shipper questions. I'd be fine if no one dated anyone from the group.

Speak for yourselves; I have a Jeff & Annie collage on an entire wall in my bedroom which forms the shape of a heart.

No, I'm totally in agreement, the romantic relationships are clearly not a priority for these writers, and that is refreshing.

freelantzer October 7th, 2010 12:52 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IenjoyAcidPops (Post 5623295)
Speak for yourselves; I have a Jeff & Annie collage on an entire wall in my bedroom which forms the shape of a heart.

:rotfl: I love this image. I suggest you fit it in somehow to the Goodnight, Moon trailer you're working on. ;)

dweaselqueen October 7th, 2010 9:28 pm

Quote:

originally posted by freelanzter
lmost everything else about this show is more interesting to me than the shipper questions. I'd be fine if no one dated anyone from the group.
:agree: Me too. I love the meta-ness, the parodies, the dynamic of the group as a whole, but not so much the romance. I love that the show doesn't hinge on a romantic pairing like so many other sitcoms do.

Quote:

originally posted by IEnjoyAcidPops
Well, if I had to choose a pairing to ship I would go with Jeff/Annie. :) But there's so much else to love from this show. I love it.

freelantzer October 9th, 2010 10:52 pm

I loved Abed in the background of this week's show. :rotfl:

dweaselqueen October 12th, 2010 4:36 pm

I can't believe I didn't catch that! I only found out about it from reading a review of the episode on line! I had to go back and watch it again. I feel so dumb. :rolleyes:

freelantzer October 14th, 2010 12:59 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dweaselqueen (Post 5626674)
I can't believe I didn't catch that! I only found out about it from reading a review of the episode on line! I had to go back and watch it again. I feel so dumb

Don't feel dumb! You could really only pay attention to one or the other. I was watching Abed in that opening scene and realized I had no idea what Jeff just said. I had to rewind to see what happened in the main story! :lol:

IenjoyAcidPops October 14th, 2010 1:30 am

I completely missed the Abed scene/plotline/running gag in question too. It only came to my attention from another forum I post on, and I just found this compilation of it on YouTube.

dweaselqueen October 18th, 2010 10:42 pm

Thanks for that!

So what did everyone think of last week's episode? They had promoted it like the next Modern Warfare episode but I was seriously underwhelmed by the spoof. I expected a lot because I love Apollo 13 and their previous spoof have been made of awesome.

It was definitely a funny episode but I felt like it rushed the few character moments that were there in favor of the gimmick. Annie's desire to go to Community College wasn't believable. This is the girl who convinced them all to take Anthropology together and she's going to leave because of a flag joke gone bad? I never thought Annie had so much school spirit that she would abandon her friends because of it.

I did love Pierce's space madness. That was hilarious! Troy being the captain and earning some respect was sweet and needed. Troy can't always be the stupid jock.

Thoughts?

IenjoyAcidPops October 18th, 2010 11:36 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dweaselqueen (Post 5630766)
It was definitely a funny episode but I felt like it rushed the few character moments that were there in favor of the gimmick. Annie's desire to go to Community College wasn't believable. This is the girl who convinced them all to take Anthropology together and she's going to leave because of a flag joke gone bad? I never thought Annie had so much school spirit that she would abandon her friends because of it.

You mean City College? Yeah, it was a stretch, for Annie to want to switch schools now, kind of forced. I agree, it was an okay episode, with some funny moments, but overall, nothing special.

dweaselqueen October 19th, 2010 3:19 am

:facepalm: Same initials! Whoops. :lol:

dreyesbo October 20th, 2010 1:02 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dweaselqueen (Post 5623823)
:agree: Me too. I love the meta-ness, the parodies, the dynamic of the group as a whole, but not so much the romance. I love that the show doesn't hinge on a romantic pairing like so many other sitcoms do.

I love this, and I agree that the romance makes Community stumble a bit.

Britta saying I love you to Jeff, and Jeff not knowing how to respond? Meh

Britta and Jeff being obnoxiously "in love" with each other in some competition? Hilarious, and very...Community.

I do agree that this last episode was funny, but not great. But Annie did consider changing schools once, with Vaughn. Still, this time the plot point came out of nowhere.

Still, Community is my favorite sitcom this season. Both HIMYM and Modern Family have been just okay, but I can always rely on Community for a good laugh.

IenjoyAcidPops October 22nd, 2010 6:04 am

I don't know how long this show is going to, or can last, considering its tone, and the brand of humor it really excels at, but for now, I really love this show. Watching Community and 30 Rock back to back (which everyone should do, incidentally) is like observing a contest of who can be the most meta. Community wins every time.

Obviously, every character on every show should always behave in character, but we all know that's not always the case, so it's great to see an episode like this, where a character like Abed is so perfectly "in character." Abed becoming so lost in his own Charlie Kaufman-esque meta abstractions, falling into an abyss of pretentious pseudo-philosophical cinematic babbling, was great; I thought it was hysterical. Troy's rap lyrics in Shirley's film were also very funny.

(BTW, Charlie Kaufman is awesome. If you haven't seen Being John Malkovich, Adaptation, and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind...do.)

dweaselqueen October 30th, 2010 6:18 am

Ok, THIS was the follow-up to Modern Warfare!! This week's Halloween episode was pure win. I loved Troy already but this episode sent my love for him through the roof. I really enjoy stupid Troy but it's nice to see him step up to the occasion. We've seen that a lot more this season. It's great to see him be more than the dumb jock.

Jeff as Beckham = so perfect. I called Shirley as Glinda the Good Witch. Troy and Abed's bromance is always great and this episode was awesome for that. Annie being pulled through the window was actually terrifying. Starburns' screaming when Pierce bit him made me laugh. Of course Dean Pelton would be Lady Gaga but play ABBA all night.

Only regrets?
1. Chang and Shirley. Ew. End of the world I know but...ew.
2. Not enough Pierce.

Other than that, this is without doubt my favorite episode so far this season. It might even come directly under Modern Warfare.

dreyesbo October 30th, 2010 7:49 am

The ABBA soundtrack playing in the background of zombie action was hilarious. Jeff as Beckham was hilariously lazy (he went as himself, but holding a football).

I agree that this was a great episode, on par with Modern Warfare and Contemporary American Poultry.

And Chang and Shirley....I agree, ugh. But I wonder how it'll play out, with them having no memories of it, and Troy having that burden now.

IenjoyAcidPops October 30th, 2010 4:49 pm

Brilliant episode, maybe most brilliant for combining "zombies" and the music of ABBA in a way that worked surprisingly well.

My three favorite moments:
-That cat ("Is somebody throwing it?!" :rotfl:)
-George Takei's message at the end (Why isn't my name Kevin? :grumble:)
-Senor Chang leaving Troy the 'Shirley and I did it' message ("Why'd he call me?")

Beatifically October 31st, 2010 4:13 am

I love this show! :D I really like the humor and frequent references to popular culture.

One thing that's surprised me is how consistent the show is. Most sitcoms tend to have some funny/strange event happen that's completely. However, with Community, they do reference back to previous events quite frequently. For instance, whenever religion comes up, they mention the conversation they had in the Christmas episode. I doubt anyone cares, but I just appreciate a show that's more realistic (despite Community being as silly as a show can get). :tu:

Quote:

Originally Posted by freelantzer (Post 5616516)
I wonder if they go so meta as to really have Old White Man Says on Twitter . . . I should go look.

They have one. They have twitters for the other characters, too! :lol: Have I already mentioned that I love this show?

freelantzer November 1st, 2010 12:35 am

Awesome episode. The ABBA soundtrack behind the zombies. Jeff as Beckham. Troy and Abed! I'm a sexy Dracula with a toilet seat cover collar and toilet paper wrist bands! :love:

Quote:

Originally Posted by IenjoyAcidPops (Post 5638825)
-That cat ("Is somebody throwing it?!" )

LOVED that part! And I actually jumped so much the first time that cat screamed across the screen that I scared my dog. :rotfl:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beatifically (Post 5639221)
They have one. They have twitters for the other characters, too! Have I already mentioned that I love this show?

That. Is. Awesome. :lol:

dweaselqueen November 2nd, 2010 4:42 pm

I've been following Old White Man Says on Twitter. :lol: So funny!

Quote:

originally posted by IEnjoyAcidPops
That cat ("Is somebody throwing it?!" )
:lol: That was great! I couldn't stop laughing at that part.

Quote:

George Takei's message at the end (Why isn't my name Kevin? )
I know! :grumble: "Your welcome, Kevins". Seriously, tears of laughter for the awesomeness of that and the disappointment that I'm not Kevin.

The ABBA soundtrack was so perfect. Everything about this episode was great. I was so upset this weekend when I called my mom to see if she liked it. Turns out we have totally opposite tastes in episodes. She loved the space episode, I thought it was "meh". I loved this episode, she thought it was dumb. :no:

freelantzer November 3rd, 2010 7:18 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dweaselqueen (Post 5640578)
"Your welcome, Kevins". Seriously, tears of laughter for the awesomeness of that and the disappointment that I'm not Kevin.

My name is not Kevin, but I'm considering using it as my voicemail anyway. :D

dweaselqueen November 3rd, 2010 11:47 am

^Do it.

I hear Hilary Duff is guest starring as a mean girl who will terrorize the three ladies of our favorite study group this week. I'm not sure what to do with that. I haven't seen Duff act in years (not since I stopped watching Lizzy McGuire :blush:) and I've never seen her play mean. It could either be awesome or terrible. I'm hoping for awesome. 30 Rock gets a lot out of its guest stars...maybe Community can too?

dweaselqueen November 12th, 2010 11:01 pm

Ok, I know I'm double-posting but it's been a few weeks so this shouldn't count.

What did you guys think of the latest episode? I kinda felt like the whole premise seemed a little forced but it was hilarious once it got rolling. My one dislike is Shirley's potential pregnancy. Dear TV Powers that Be, we don't want!

IenjoyAcidPops November 12th, 2010 11:18 pm

I didn't particularly like it, actually. I'm almost always a real sucker for the meta humor too, but the references to this "bottle episode" weren't even funny to me.

dreyesbo November 14th, 2010 6:02 am

The bottle episode mentions were perhaps a bit too meta, but I'm pretty sure there have been other more blatant references in the series.

But I quite liked the episode. It grounded the action a bit after the action episodes this season, and played on each character's feelings towards each other.

Plus, any show with this extent of detail gets my love:

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lb...1o1_r1_400.gif

dweaselqueen November 15th, 2010 4:34 pm

I saw that on the Community LJ!!! That made my day although it took me awhile to realize what on earth I was looking at. I love they include little things like that. Most shows wouldn't actually show the monkey taking the pen at the beginning. :lol:

freelantzer November 17th, 2010 3:52 am

Wow! Thanks for posting the pen-stealing moment. :lol: Love this show!

IenjoyAcidPops November 17th, 2010 4:01 am

Okay, now, that does make me appreciate the episode more. And I think the episode will be one I do appreciate more on repeat viewings. I didn't give it enough credit initially for the way it does satirize bottle episodes, and the histrionics that usually ensue in those "tight-knit group turning on each other in a confined space" stories.

freelantzer November 17th, 2010 4:05 am

I read an interview where someone in charge of the show (I forget who right now) talks about the increased cost of a few of their episodes (like the zombie ep, for example) and how they chose to spend more of their budget there and do a few more bottle episodes to make up for it (even though he hates bottle episodes--he thought it was worth it to do a few bigger episodes during the season).

Beatifically November 23rd, 2010 1:50 am

What did everyone think about the last episode? Personally, my favorite part was the chase scene. How many shows out there have someone being chased on all fours in a massive blanket fort? :rotfl:

freelantzer November 28th, 2010 6:36 am

I liked the last episode, but I'm not sure I really "got it." Were they spoofing conspiracy movies? :hmm:

Random comment: I watched Pineapple Express today, and when the two henchmen are first shown I yelled out, "That's Professor Professorson!" :D

JennaFelicis November 30th, 2010 4:39 am

I LOVE Community. It's my favorite show on television now. I can't wait for the Christmas episode, it looks super rad.

ParanoidAndroid November 30th, 2010 6:02 am

This show is so great and the cast is my favourite comedy cast since Arrested Development. They're all so great!

The last two episodes are maybe my two favourite episodes of the entire series! I especially loved the previously mentioned chase through the blanket fort, and that visual gag of having Britta in that 'Eyes Wide Shut' type room had me on the floor.

dweaselqueen November 30th, 2010 6:40 am

I agree with Beatifically, I loved the blanket fort chase scene. Actually, anything with the blanket fort was awesome! I would totally spend the night down there with them.

The last episode finally sold me on Jeff/Annie. I've been teetering on rooting for them 100% because of the age difference making me a bit squicky about them. I can no longer deny them. I don't care, the characters aren't real and they have excellent chemistry so I'm going to root for them to be together. They were too adorable for words in the last episode.

Ginny1976 December 1st, 2010 3:03 pm

LOVE the show. LOVE Abed!!

freelantzer December 3rd, 2010 4:36 am

Cute episode tonight. Troy's a man now. Aw.

The claymation episode looks great. Can't wait.

ParanoidAndroid December 3rd, 2010 7:06 pm

I loved last nights episode. It was a nice departure into dramatic territory and fleshing out the characters.

The claymation episode looks epic.

Beatifically December 5th, 2010 4:16 am

I liked last night's episode a lot. It was really good in terms of characterization, especially Annie. It offered a good insight into Annie's insecurities about herself. I was also really surprised to see that she lived in a poorer area, though. She puts up this image of living a pristine, picture-perfect life (probably because she is a perfectionist herself), so I didn't see that coming. But it was so sweet how Troy comforted her, too, aw. I don't ship them together - to me, it was just a tender moment that let the friendship shine through. :tu:

Because Troy is just that adorable:    

:love:

But, yes, I agree, the claymation episode looks amazing! Can't wait.

freelantzer December 5th, 2010 4:51 am

^Troy is just that adorable. :love:

dweaselqueen December 11th, 2010 3:31 am

I can't believe I forgot to comment on last week's episode. Troy is my favorite this season. I loved his becoming-a-man arc last week. :huggles: I knew he was turning 21 in the episode but when he said '89 I still jumped in surprise and shouted, "Hey, that's my year!" :rolleyes:

Now the claymation episode: :love::love::love: That was completely beyond my expectations. Who knew Danny Pudi and Alison Brie could sing so well? We already knew YNB had a great voice but those two surprised me. I really loved the episode. I grew up on the stop motion Rudolph special and I thought they nailed the genre perfectly yet with a surprisingly dark undertone. This episode moved me a lot which I didn't expect at all. The bit where Abed froze nearly made me cry. :sad:

Only Community can have such gimmicky set ups that are so rich in character development. We learned a lot about Abed and almost as much about Duncan. We got some insight into Pierce's home life (I guess Troy goes home for the holidays which makes Pierce lonely?) and Britta's reaction to Abed nailing her insecurities was heart-breaking.

freelantzer December 12th, 2010 2:25 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dweaselqueen (Post 5667517)
The meaning of Christmas is that Christmas has meaning.

Thank you, Lost.

:rotfl:

dweaselqueen December 12th, 2010 8:20 pm

:lol: Those Lost references killed me!

Meanwhile, I have totally memorized the song the group sings at the end "That's What Christmas is For".
Shirley: "And for a huge percentage of this God-fearing planet it's a reminder of the birth of Jesus Christ"
Jeff: "And for the rest of us it's just a reminder that at Christmas it's good to be nice!" I love how intimidated he sounded when he started singing. :lol:

Beatifically December 21st, 2010 10:13 pm

Even though Community got snubbed at the awards it deserves, at least some have recognized how amazing the show is!

TIME magazine listed Community episode "Modern Warfare" at #3 for best episodes of 2010 (NOTE: The video in the link is not that family friendly!)
3. Community, "Modern Warfare"A lot of sitcoms can make you laugh. It's a rare one that can so fully share the sense of joy its cast, writers and crew have in making the show. Here, a paintball war on the campus of Greendale Community College — with the coveted prize being early class registration — leads to anarchy, backstabbing and the collapse of society. In the process, Community executes a painstaking parody of (and homage to) war movies, Matrix-style action thrillers and postapocalyptic survival tales — getting in a brilliant skewering of Glee to boot — without sacrificing the characters that give this show about adult-education misfits its heart. (NBC)

EW lists Community (along with Parks and Recreation and 30 Rock) at #4 for the Best TV Series of 2010
4. NBC Thursday sitcoms: Parks and Recreation, Community, and 30 RockParks and Recreation's ensemble united to form a warmly wacky bond with us; Community mastered a new blend of pop-culture critique and slapstick; and 30 Rock managed to continue its sharp media criticism while being first-rate funny.

AV Club ranked Community at #2 (:wow:!!) on their "The 25 best television series of 2010" list
2. Community (NBC)The premise is better suited to a 90-minute Adam Sandler movie than a TV show: A jerk lawyer, shamed into attending community college after it’s discovered he never earned a proper degree, tries to impress a hottie do-gooder by hanging out with a bunch of losers. General heartwarming ensues. It’s a limited narrative, and one Community largely abandoned by the midpoint of its great second season. But the idea still speaks to the series’ central theme. The show’s seemingly boundless inventiveness and its ability to embrace parody, drama, meta commentary, slapstick, and sentiment, are rooted in a refreshingly honest take on the lies we tell to become who we wish we could be. The jerk who dreams of heroism; the snob who wants to save the world; the Disney princess who yearns for three dimensions; the detached observer longing to be a real live boy; the goofball maturing into adulthood—these are familiar archetypes, but in the hands of television’s strongest comedic ensemble, given voice by a writing staff that hands out punchlines and heartbreak with equal panache, these parts add up to a warm, ridiculous, rewarding whole.
Best episodes: “Modern Warfare,” “Cooperative Calligraphy,” “Abed’s Uncontrollable Christmas”

Quote:

Originally Posted by dweaselqueen (Post 5667517)
Now the claymation episode: :love::love::love: That was completely beyond my expectations. Who knew Danny Pudi and Alison Brie could sing so well? We already knew YNB had a great voice but those two surprised me. I really loved the episode. I grew up on the stop motion Rudolph special and I thought they nailed the genre perfectly yet with a surprisingly dark undertone. This episode moved me a lot which I didn't expect at all. The bit where Abed froze nearly made me cry. :sad:

It was nothing like what I imagined it would be. :love: It probably wasn't the funniest episode, but it was the most touching one. The part where Annie and Troy defended and followed him made me smile; they're so incredibly loyal to him. But I agree with you that it heartbreaking when Abed froze. :upset: But thankfully the study group came to his rescue and got the Christmas pterodactyl to take Duncan away!

Quote:

Only Community can have such gimmicky set ups that are so rich in character development. We learned a lot about Abed and almost as much about Duncan. We got some insight into Pierce's home life (I guess Troy goes home for the holidays which makes Pierce lonely?) and Britta's reaction to Abed nailing her insecurities was heart-breaking.
It seems like these past two episodes offered more characterization. I was really surprised that we got to see a more human side of Pierce. He's usually a comic relief but this seems like one of the rare moments where he's taken seriously. Same goes with Britta. We're so used to seeing her as this strong, independent woman. Seeing her cry was a very "human" moment for her.

And can I just add that all the characters looked really cute in Abed's winter wonderland?

IenjoyAcidPops December 22nd, 2010 1:40 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beatifically (Post 5673032)
Even though Community got snubbed at the awards it deserves, at least some have recognized how amazing the show is!

Yeah, every list of the best television of 2010 that I've read online or in a magazine has included Community, but I don't think it's been nominated for any major award yet. But hey, that really doesn't matter, does it? It's just a little surprising. Maybe the sense of humor is too specific, maybe it's too meta, who knows?

dreyesbo December 22nd, 2010 9:05 pm

And, sadly, it has a small audience. But hopefully, it getting all this critic recognition will at least earn it another season.

As people have said, the Christmas episode was great (and even though I love Lost, I liked the joke they did). It really understood the meaning of Christmas, in a way that felt real, unlike a few other Christmas specials.

freelantzer December 24th, 2010 4:15 am

I just bought season 1 and have been watching it all day. :lol: It's interesting to see the evolution of the characters and stories. I have to say the one episode I really don't care much for is the one with Jack Black. :relax:

dreyesbo December 24th, 2010 10:37 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by freelantzer (Post 5674290)
I just bought season 1 and have been watching it all day. :lol: It's interesting to see the evolution of the characters and stories. I have to say the one episode I really don't care much for is the one with Jack Black. :relax:

The ending is awesome, though. Best 20 second cameo I've seen, by Luke Wilson. It hints that there is a whole other side to Greendale we haven't seen.

freelantzer December 25th, 2010 6:36 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreyesbo (Post 5674641)
The ending is awesome, though. Best 20 second cameo I've seen, by Luke Wilson. It hints that there is a whole other side to Greendale we haven't seen.

Yeah, that is a good ending. I feel like the B story was good, too, although I can't remember what is was right now . . . :hmm:

Finished the rest of the episodes today. This is seriously my favorite show now. :love: When you watch them back to back you pick up on so many of the small threads that run throughout the series that you might not've noticed as the episodes aired. Just deepens my appreciation for this show.

Question:
Spoiler: show
In the chicken fingers episode, Troy has an inappropriately named pet monkey that gets loose at the end. Is that the same monkey that steals Annie's purple pen in season 2? If so, that makes me love this show even more! :lol:

Beatifically December 25th, 2010 6:58 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by freelantzer (Post 5674729)
Question:
In the chicken fingers episode, Troy has an inappropriately named pet monkey that gets loose at the end. Is that the same monkey that steals Annie's purple pen in season 2? If so, that makes me love this show even more! :lol:

Yes, it is the same monkey! :D
Just goes to show how consistent the show is, right? A few episodes ago Britta mentioned how Jeff's socks match his clothes. (Remember Pierce's line "By the way, Jeff, I think your shirt's trying to get out of your pants"?)

I also heard that in Aerodynamics of Gender, Abed's you-know-what scanner foreshadowed the next few episodes. It says "confirm mom for xmas" and "build blanket fort." On the other side, it also reminded him of certain dates regarding Shirley (think of what the girls were shocked to discover Abed had been recording in Cooperative Calligraphy :whistle:).

But I completely understand why you are in love with this show. After watching the first season again and my favorite episodes multiple times, I've become more obsessed. It's one of the best shows on television right now, I'd say.

freelantzer December 25th, 2010 7:03 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beatifically (Post 5674737)
Remember Pierce's line "By the way, Jeff, I think your shirt's trying to get out of your pants"?

:agree: That line was AMAZING.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beatifically (Post 5674737)
I also heard that in Aerodynamics of Gender, Abed's you-know-what scanner foreshadowed the next few episodes. It says "confirm mom for xmas" and "build blanket fort." On the other side, it also reminded him of certain dates regarding Shirley (think of what the girls were shocked to discover Abed had been recording in Cooperative Calligraphy ).

I must now rewatch that episode and pause it on all the scanner parts. :D
I still have all of season 2 saved on my DVR. :whistle:

dreyesbo December 31st, 2010 5:07 am

Troy's growth is even more evident while rewatching everything in a row (which I did over the holidays, while getting my brother into the show! :) ).

Early first season, he was wearing his high school jacket all the time, and still trying to look what he thought was cool. Now, he's geeking up all the time with Abed, but he's happy about it. Donald Glover is amazing in the role, as well. No one can cry like a girl the way he does (and I mean it as a compliment!)

freelantzer December 31st, 2010 11:44 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreyesbo (Post 5677185)
Early first season, he was wearing his high school jacket all the time, and still trying to look what he thought was cool. Now, he's geeking up all the time with Abed, but he's happy about it.

I noticed that, too, when I just watched season 1 again. He was totally different at the beginning, trying to be some tough guy holding on to his high school glory days. Troy's birthday episode in season 2 showed even more growth. :love:

Beatifically January 24th, 2011 12:32 am

So what did everyone think of this week's episode? I liked it, but mostly for the humor. It had a lot of comedic moments, such as:

• Chang lurking on the bookshelf and everyone's reaction when they see him.
  • Chang's "Chang" puns.
  • Also Chang's slow clap!
  • "Why do I have to say everything I think? I wish my mouth was further away from my brain. I wish my brain had a brain."
  • "Pierce, if someone [something not too FF, but has to do with what happened in the Halloween episode (as if that hint doesn't give it away)], and they get to not remember that happen ... that's a gift from God."
  • Troy interrogating Shirley's ex-husband
  • "Kettlecorn? That's a funtime snack!"
  • Troy and Abed in the morning! :love:
  • Quendra
  • Jeff's speech about how no one could possibly be as good as Rich and that no one can get any worse than Chang :lol:
  • Troy (even though he was absent in this episode :upset:) pretending to malfunction and saying "That works everytime!" after
  • All the nicknames for students: Short, Russian Johnny Depp; Vince Vaughn but smells like fish; Anderson Cooper with a soulpatch and ponytail; Black Michael Chicklis/White George Foreman/David; Jean Claude Van-Overbite
  • "MEZZANINE?!"
  • Some other moment I probably forgot, even after searching to see what other fans liked

I also loved how they mentioned the lack of Latin American students! Fans have been complaining about that for so long. My only problem is that Shirley is actually pregnant. I was really hoping they would avoid that storyline. :sigh:

I've heard a lot of critics complained about Jeff running in the rain. My only reply: do they not know Community?! That show makes fun of cliches whenever they possibly can!

Overall, I thought it was a good episode to start off the second half of season 2. It was definitely better than the Jack Black episode from last year. :whistle:

--

Good news - Community has gotten more critical recognition, this time from Rolling Stone! :D
'Community,' The Most Hilariously Ambitious Sitcom on TVIf Night Court was the subterranean bad conscience of the Eighties recession, Community is the voice of our own brokedown moment. NBC has loaded its killer Thursday-night lineup with Buncha Losers comedies. The Office and 30 Rock are kicking ***, and Parks & Recreation is stronger than ever. But what sets these shows apart from Community is that they're set in the workplace, which means their lovable misfits have common goals and problems. Not so on Community. These nitwits have nothing in common. Nobody achieves anything. Nobody learns anything either, even though it's about college. Joel McHale, as the smarmy lawyer Jeff Winger, speaks for the group when he refuses to attend classes: "Jeff Winger never learns!"

[...]

That's why this is the first show ever to get college right. Everything looks unbelievably cheap and crummy. Has fluorescent light on TV ever looked so grim? There is no attempt at campus humor, no keggers or fraternity houses. Instead, the Greendale gang spends all its waking hours doing what most college students have always done with their time: aimlessly hanging out, waiting for the fun to start. Campus loafing has never been so accurately (or lovingly) depicted, as our heroes build their own imaginary world around dreadful puns and arcane in-jokes. My favorite moment is when obsessive-compulsive film student Abed says, "Black jeans? Nice try, Michael Penn!" You can't even explain why that's so funny without revealing what a loser you are.

That perfectly describes Community.

freelantzer January 26th, 2011 1:19 am

I have been MIA from the forum--that's the only reason I haven't been here to discuss the awesomeness that was last week's episode. I love all your highlights, but I laughed most at these two:
--Jeff calling abed "Brown Jamie Lee Curtis" :rotfl:
--The totally subtle and brilliantly underplayed exchange between Jeff and Shirley's husband: "Nice sweater." "My dad gave it to me." :rotfl: :rotfl:!!! It almost passed me by, but when I caught it, I had to pause it to laugh and laugh. :D

How completely awesome is Troy and Abed in the Morning? :love:

IenjoyAcidPops January 26th, 2011 2:03 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by freelantzer (Post 5690340)
--Jeff calling abed "Brown Jamie Lee Curtis"

That whole opening culminating in "we should learn people's names" was hilarious, my favorite part of the episode.

Quote:

Originally Posted by freelantzer (Post 5690340)
How completely awesome is Troy and Abed in the Morning?

It is completely awesome.

dreyesbo January 26th, 2011 2:04 am

Not gonna repeat the highlights, but I loved the episode. I'm really intrigued by Shirley's ex-now-current boyfriend. She painted him as a douchebag, but now he seems kind of a cool guy. Perhaps that's just the actor.

I saw a video were Donald Glover (Troy) said that Rich was a Flanders. A perfectly normal, cool guy, but the protagonist hates him for that.

freelantzer January 28th, 2011 1:24 am

So tell me, did you guys get the "My dad gave it to me" joke? Or am I just old?

Beatifically February 2nd, 2011 1:14 am

What did everyone think of the last episode? I thought it was ok, not amazing but not bad either. I really enjoyed getting some more information about Annie's neighborhood. But it still seemed unrealistic. Really, surviving off babysitter money? And it only occurred to her now that she has going to get a job? Living on your own cannot be that easy for an unemployed college student.

But besides that, I liked the costumes and Crazy!Chang. Oh and of course Dean Pelton's inappropriate jokes. (Speaking of his jokes, am I the only one who didn't get the irony behind him asking the students to think of baseball instead of drugs? *facepalm*)

Quote:

Originally Posted by freelantzer (Post 5691124)
So tell me, did you guys get the "My dad gave it to me" joke? Or am I just old?

That was one of the moments that fits under the "Some other moment I probably forgot, even after searching to see what other fans liked" part of the list I posted earlier.

I actually didn't catch the joke at first. :whistle: I do get it now, but it went over my head when I first watched it! *feels ashamed*

freelantzer February 2nd, 2011 11:56 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beatifically (Post 5693180)
I do get it now, but it went over my head when I first watched it! *feels ashamed*

:lol: Glad to hear that you got it, though, and that I'm not "just old." :D
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beatifically (Post 5693180)
(Speaking of his jokes, am I the only one who didn't get the irony behind him asking the students to think of baseball instead of drugs? *facepalm*)

That's one of those jokes that passed me by when I watched it; I didn't get it until you pointed it out. :blush:

This episode seemed a bit like "filler." They can't all be chicken fingers or paint ball, though. I liked this one well enough.

acer February 4th, 2011 1:31 am

chevy totally stole the show tonight

BellatrixRiddle February 13th, 2011 4:00 pm

Community is awesome I love Chevy Chase

freelantzer February 19th, 2011 12:50 am

I loved last night's episode! So many great Troy moments. :love:
These were some of my favorite quotes:

Troy: Me and Abed have an agreement. If one of us dies, we stage it to look like a suicide caused by the unjust cancellation of Firefly. We're gonna get that show back on the air, buddy!

Troy: Set phasers to love me!

Pierce: I was never one to hold a grudge, Jeffrey. My father held grudges. I'll always hate him for that.

IenjoyAcidPops February 19th, 2011 1:18 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by freelantzer (Post 5700217)
I loved last night's episode! So many great Troy moments.

Troy freaking out about/around LeVar Burton was indescribably hilarious. The rest of the episode was really good too, of course, but...that was something to behold.

freelantzer February 28th, 2011 6:31 am

So who watched Community this week? I loved that Troy and Abed actually had a news show and were using their Troy and Abed in the Morning mugs. :love: And did you guys catch the "news items" scrolling across the bottom. :lol: