Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   Muggle Studies (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (with spoilers) (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=132454)

MrSleepyHead October 23rd, 2015 1:38 am

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (with spoilers)
 
STAFF NOTE

With the play on stage and the book released there will be spoilers in this thread. So want to stay spoiler free? Visit the play, read the book or the wiki page ;)


Hard to believe there's not a thread already devoted to the upcoming Harry Potter play! "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child" is based on an original new story by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne and John Tiffany. The play premieres in London's West End at the Palace Theatre in the summer of 2016.

News of the play broke over a year ago, and during that time one thing we learned for sure is that it is NOT a prequel! :lol: Today we've learned quite a bit more, including a glimpse at the first official artwork and possible dates, prices, and the identity of the Cursed Child!

It looks like updates are coming primarily from Pottermore, JKR's Twitter, and the play's official website harrypottertheplay.com.

Spoilers below:
Artwork:

Daily Mail report of prices, dates, tagline, and Cursed Child identity:
Spoiler: show
The Harry Potter show, expected to be one of London’s biggest theatrical blockbusters, will have tickets for as little as 15 (and even a bargain 10 during previews). So people can see the two-part production for just 30.

Low-priced tickets will be sold by lottery for every performance.
The Cursed Child, Parts 1 and 2, takes J.K. Rowling’s fantastical world of wizards and magic to the London stage and will follow on from where Rowling’s seventh and final Potter novel ended. Its storyline has been a closely held secret — until now.

‘It’s safe to say that The Cursed Child picks up from where The Deathly Hallows ended,’ revealed Sonia Friedman, who is producing the play with Colin Callender.

That book concluded with an epilogue where readers discovered that Harry wound up marrying Ginny Weasley, and they had three children: James Sirius, Albus Severus (known as Al), and Lily Luna.

That postscript was titled Nineteen Years Later, and it’s also the tagline for the drama created by Rowling and written by Jack Thorne and John Tiffany (who will also direct), which is being performed in two parts.

The poster, unveiled here for the first time reads: The Eighth Story. Nineteen Years Later.

Ardent Potter fans will catch on because, in The Deathly Hallows, Rowling painted a scene of Harry and Ginny seeing their two lads off to Hogwarts from Platform 9 at King’s Cross station.

Particular attention was paid to Al, aged just 11, starting his first year at the School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and nervous about whether he’ll be put in Slytherin house.

But his father reassures him, telling him he’s named after two headmasters of Hogwarts — Albus Dumbledore and Severus Snape — and one of them was a Slytherin.

A statement from the creative team noted that Al must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted and that ‘past and present fuse ominously’ when Harry and his younger son learn the uncomfortable truth that ‘sometimes, darkness comes from unexpected places’.

Friedman and Callender were cautious when discussing The Cursed Child. ‘We don’t want to spoil it for the audiences,’ Callender said, reasonably.

And when I asked if there would be any flashbacks to Harry’s own parents, Friedman said, more bluntly: ‘It’s for theatregoers and fans, and we’re not going to say any more about the story.’

I wondered whether they would have to cast a green-eyed child to play Al, because Rowling describes him in The Deathly Hallows as having eyes the same colour as his paternal grandmother, Lily.

Friedman doubted audiences would be able to tell eye colour from the stalls, but said she would discuss it with the creative team.

And what about flying broomsticks?!

‘Because it’s a play, it’s worth stressing that at this stage of the process it’s not our intention to have a high-tech show, but to go back to basic story telling,’ Friedman said. She and Callender both termed it ‘raw theatre’.

However, they have hired special effects experts and an illusionist. ‘We very much hope to deliver magic — but in our unique way,’ Friedman added.
A cast of roughly 30 will begin rehearsing in February or March. Preliminary casting has begun but no actor has been picked yet.

The company will move into the Palace after Derren Brown and Eddie Izzard complete their separate, limited runs. At this point there isn’t a provision for family or group rates for tickets, but a batch of 10 seats during previews, rising to 15 once the show has opened, is going to prove immensely popular.
Previews begin on June 7 at the Palace Theatre, when tickets to see both parts will be priced 20, 50, and 80 to 100. (They can be watched on one day on Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays.)

From August 3, after The Cursed Child has opened, seats for the two shows will cost 30, 70, 100 or 130. Tickets to see just one part of the production can be bought at half the prices quoted.

Priority tickets for those who registered to see the June to September shows can be bought online from next Wednesday; others can buy seats two days later. The show officially opens on July 30.

For further ticketing information, including details about daily and weekly lotteries, look for a longer version of this story on MailOnline or visit harrypottertheplay.com


Thoughts?!

Velva October 25th, 2015 8:59 pm

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Thanks for starting this thread. I was very pleased to see that the cursed child was going to be Albus. He is the one character I am most interested in learning about. I am also glad that the play is coming out a year earlier than I would have expected. In real time nineteen years should have been in 2017. So that was a nice treat. I know there is no way I will be able to see the play, but I am looking forward to the bits and pieces I hope to hear about the story that will be told. Maybe someday there will be a movie. Or better yet in some kind of book form. :)

snapes_witch October 26th, 2015 5:49 am

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Plays are often published, and this would be another money maker.:angel:

twinsrule26 October 26th, 2015 5:56 am

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
I would have thought that the cursed child would have been Teddy Lupin but A.S.P fits in well too. I really wish and hope that this play goes on the road to N. America so that others can see it too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by snapes_witch (Post 6101784)
Plays are often published, and this would be another money maker.:angel:

I like this idea :tu:

Pearl_Took October 26th, 2015 5:15 pm

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
I am definitely interested :)

But I am also rather peeved that it's a two-parter. :no:

Even with reduced prices, this seems to me like a blatant preying on fan enthusiasm. As it is, the idea ticks me off. (Theatre, like film, has to attract more people than the die-hard book fans!)

I was won over by the film-makers splitting DH into two because they (mostly) did a good job (with some dragging in the first half). But I can understand some fans being less than thrilled about it. Because a theatrical production cuts out a lot of people, whereas a globally released film (or book!!!!) ... doesn't.

I do like the artwork, and I like the sound of the story. I hope it's dark and dramatic, and I would welcome Harry being shown in a darker light, as well as his youngest son. It will have to be as dramatic as all get-out to attract people to two nights in the theatre! Sheesh!

I am sympathetic to the fans who are rather upset, and would have preferred an eighth book instead.

P.S. I will say this though: that's a very impressive creative team.

sugniD October 28th, 2015 5:44 pm

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Just ordered my tickets - nice little birthday treat for me and the wife!

Phane00 October 30th, 2015 5:46 pm

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Finally! There truly needed to be a forum for this play. Thanks for starting this.

First of all... to Ms. Rowling, No! Leave Harry alone. His story, and his family's story was done after book 7. That does not mean that I wanted to leave the Magical World, just leave Harry out of any stories other than the occasional nod. Stick to bits like what she did at Pottermore during the World Cup with Ginny Weasley and Rita Skeeter.

That being said, since we are going back into Harry's story, or at least his son's story, it's time to speculate.

Albus Severus... poor kid, your life was cursed the moment your parents gave you that name. I do like using him as the point of view for the reader. He's the son of a famous Dark Wizard catcher, and son of a former professional Quidditch player. He's brother to James Sirius, who seems to have combined the worst traits of Ron and the twins into one person. He's starting school the same year as the daughter of his parents' best friends, and the son of his father's school rival. Plus, he has a cousin and Lupin's son there in Prefect roles (I think). That's quite a bit on his plate.

Predictions:
Parts 1 & 2 encompass the school year.

Al doesn't get into Gryffindor. Maybe he's Slytherin or Hufflepuff, but he's not a Gryffindor. More of a wish than a prediction, but it would give him a feeling of being cursed.

New big bad is someone from Dumbledore's Army. One of them has turned 19 years later. Like maybe Marietta, Lavender Brown, or Dennis Creevey. Someone with a grudge.

Somebody finds Voldemort's wand. The twin to Harry's wand. It was never found or destroyed in book 7, and in was on school grounds where Voldy claimed the Elder Wand. So, his true wand, must be on the grounds somewhere. It could be the big bad, or it could be Al if he's a Slytherin. Someone finds that wand.

Give it about a year, and the play will get published. I'm guessing 2017, 10 years after book 7 was released.

MrSleepyHead November 7th, 2015 1:10 am

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Well, I went through the ticket ordering process only to drop my tickets at the last moment. I decided I didn't want to commit to tickets a continent and year away without having a clear return policy outlined. Probably not the smartest move, though, since I'll probably wish I had them next year! Perhaps I can still manage some of the pre-performance tickets, though I expect those will be sold more locally.

I'm a bit surprised at some of the frustration over the ticket process: it worked fine for me, multiple times, and plenty of seats were available before and after they expanded the date selection (even after waiting for several hours!). And even as I look just now, there are still tickets available as early as November 2016 and in abundance in May 2017! So I guess I have some time to decide. But the furor over the seats definitely reminded me of many Harry Potter events in the past!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phane00 (Post 6101844)
First of all... to Ms. Rowling, No! Leave Harry alone. His story, and his family's story was done after book 7. That does not mean that I wanted to leave the Magical World, just leave Harry out of any stories other than the occasional nod. Stick to bits like what she did at Pottermore during the World Cup with Ginny Weasley and Rita Skeeter.

I'm a bit mixed on this. For the most part, I'm skeptical because I feel JKR's had several years distanced from the world and her perspective on her characters has certainly changed since she wrote DH (though, to be fair, it surely had even between SS/PS and DH). As such, will we be getting the "true" continuation of Harry's story, or a revised perspective version? We won't be able to tell, as there's no "true" continuation, after all. But I do wonder whether this "eighth installment" will be in the same form as the stories and characters we all know so well and love, or will it feel different after the storyteller has had time to tweak her story? I feel like we're seeing a slightly different JKR on Twitter, for instance, and I wonder if this play - or any continuation of Harry's story, for that matter - will feel right.

As it is, I'm certainly excited for a continuation, but it's frustrating having to check that excitement and not knowing where to place it. At the moment, I can't say I'm thrilled that the continuation of Harry's story is via theatre. Too much of theatre is interpretation, and I do not necessarily want the next part of Harry's story pre-interpreted for me. I'm also wary since it is not JKR's exclusive work - unlike Fantastic Beasts, she is not even the sole playwright, so how much is JKR's work? And even if the script is exactly JKR's vision, the same problem occurs as with Fantastic Beasts - there are directors, costume designers, actors, etc. who all affect the story outside of how it's written, so how much can we consider 'canon'? At the end of the day, though, I expect my wonderings are all semantics: if this is what we get as an extension of Harry's story, we must choose whether we accept or reject it. I'm disposed to the former, so I guess that means I'll find a way to see the play!

But I also feel that the play is a poor medium with which to tell Harry's next chapter, even though JKR has said that it is the only way it could be done. It seems exclusive having a play at set times, place, and cost, so that Harry's next chapter only becomes Harry's next chapter for a (relative) few. Is it "fair" to the greater Potter fandom to limit this continuation? Will a traveling show or even a published script be adequate for all those who can't attend?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phane00
Somebody finds Voldemort's wand. The twin to Harry's wand. It was never found or destroyed in book 7, and in was on school grounds where Voldy claimed the Elder Wand. So, his true wand, must be on the grounds somewhere. It could be the big bad, or it could be Al if he's a Slytherin. Someone finds that wand.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is no "big bad." There must be a reason JKR chose theatre for the format of this story, and to me theatre is uniquely situated to present very internal problems and conflicts of personality and history. As such, I don't necessarily expect a clear story with a villain (especially not a washed-up Voldemort supporter) and thriller-type action, but rather one centered around dealing with everyday stress, expectations, and disappointment. Yes, I'm sure some larger conflict will take place, but I hope it's not something too contrived or seemingly overly coincidental (e.g., "All was well" 19 years later, but - NO! - the second Albus Severus touches ground at Hogwarts Voldemort is reborn from his toilet seat Horcrux :lol:).

Anhelda November 7th, 2015 2:08 am

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead (Post 6101968)
(e.g., "All was well" 19 years later, but - NO! - the second Albus Severus touches ground at Hogwarts Voldemort is reborn from his toilet seat Horcrux :lol:).

Toilet seat Horcrux!!! I need to see that play!!! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Phane00 November 9th, 2015 5:13 pm

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead
There must be a reason JKR chose theatre for the format of this story, and to me theatre is uniquely situated to present very internal problems and conflicts of personality and history.

Sadly, I think the reason she chose the theatre for this story, and the movies for Fantastic Beasts, is due to literary critics and HP fans. Think of her other book, Casual Vacancy. People flocked to it as if it was her next HP series, thus it was compared to the HP series. It didn't live up to the HP series, and both groups bashed her for it. Not saying that it was bad, but it was not as good as HP.

By choosing other media, she can tell the story, and blame any shortcomings on the new medium, or on the collaborators. Also, once the play and movies are out, she can later release proper writings of all of them, and fill in any gaps left out of either story. She is putting the books AFTER the movies and plays rather than before them. It reduces the numbers of nitpicking trolls... armed with toliet seat horcruxes.

MerryLore November 27th, 2015 8:10 pm

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
I was initially very unhappy, because I live in the United States and I can't see the play live, but she's just given her reasoning of why Harry named his son Albus Severus, and it fits what I've thought all along, so currently I'm very happy.

Spoiler: show
love, and gratitude


http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/articl...on-snapes-name

I'm thrilled she's written the next generation, and am very jealous of the people who get to go see it. It would make a great story - James in Gryffindor, Al in Slytherin, his father's legacy, being Dumbledore's and Snape's namesakes, and hopefully even Professor Longbottom is teaching there, if not even Headmaster.

OldMotherCrow November 30th, 2015 8:48 pm

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MerryLore (Post 6102295)
I was initially very unhappy, because I live in the United States and I can't see the play live, but she's just given her reasoning of why Harry named his son Albus Severus, and it fits what I've thought all along, so currently I'm very happy.

Spoiler: show
love, and gratitude


http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/articl...on-snapes-name

I'm thrilled she's written the next generation, and am very jealous of the people who get to go see it. It would make a great story - James in Gryffindor, Al in Slytherin, his father's legacy, being Dumbledore's and Snape's namesakes, and hopefully even Professor Longbottom is teaching there, if not even Headmaster.

Slight correction:
Spoiler: show
"forgiveness, and gratitude"


I am glad she has finally addressed that question. It is not what Harry said in the book, but okay, because I feel it needed a better explanation. Still feels odd because Harry only said in the book that he named his son after Snape because he felt Snape was probably the bravest man he ever knew, without any explanation about why he felt that way. There is still no explanation about why he felt that way, so this information is sort of an odd fit with book cannon without contradicting it, but at least it is a plausible explanation about Harry's feelings. I take it this is new information that is in the play?

Is it confirmed that Al is in Slytherin? I was hoping that Harry and Al's conversation in the book wasn't about Slythein vs Gryffindor, but about the power of choice. I would much rather Al were in Hufflepuff to symbolize his choice to be his own person, so that's disappointing.

TreacleTartlet December 6th, 2015 10:29 pm

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
My curiosity got to me so I have booked my tickets. Now I'll just wait and see what I make of it. :)

arithmancer December 7th, 2015 2:10 am

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Ooh, I am jealous!

Though I suspect eventually some way to see or read the play will arrive on my side of The Pond as well...

Pearl_Took December 21st, 2015 4:29 pm

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Fascinating. Hermione will be played by a black actress. :cool: (BME = Black and Minority Ethnic is the preferred term in the UK.) JKR approves, in a classy tweet!

http://www.hypable.com/harry-potter-...ors-announced/

Sereena December 21st, 2015 6:16 pm

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pearl_Took (Post 6102759)
Fascinating. Hermione will be played by a black actress. :cool: (BME = Black and Minority Ethnic is the preferred term in the UK.) JKR approves, in a classy tweet!

http://www.hypable.com/harry-potter-...ors-announced/

Yup and the fandom exploded with racial hatred. Just check out some of the comments on the articles on Mugglenet--- or don't! It's a bit ironic that people are so, ahem, bigoted, considering the fact that the series's main message is tolerance and open mindedness. Makes you wonder why they even like Harry Potter in the first place. :(

Yoana December 21st, 2015 6:40 pm

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pearl_Took (Post 6102759)
Fascinating. Hermione will be played by a black actress. :cool: (BME = Black and Minority Ethnic is the preferred term in the UK.) JKR approves, in a classy tweet!

http://www.hypable.com/harry-potter-...ors-announced/

I love her even more for that tweet of support. It really doesn't matter what colour Hermione is because it's irrelevant to her character. And on stage, appearances don't really matter, it's all in the acting. AND even if someone is hung up on her being white, it's called suspension of disbelief for a reason. You believe the acting, not not the looks.

It's pretty telling though that people who didn't make a peep that movie Hermione had neither buck teeth, nor unruly hair, are now suddenly such purists.

dobby_rocks December 22nd, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sereena (Post 6102761)
Yup and the fandom exploded with racial hatred. Just check out some of the comments on the articles on Mugglenet--- or don't! It's a bit ironic that people are so, ahem, bigoted, considering the fact that the series's main message is tolerance and open mindedness. Makes you wonder why they even like Harry Potter in the first place. :(

I know right. The even sadder part is many of those who are all upset don't care when a clearly non-white character is made white for Tv or Film. One example Earthsea in the books the main character Ged is described as red-brown basically his appearance is Native American. His best friend was Black in the books. Yet both were made white in the TV-mini series.

Probably same people that were upset over Rue and Thresh being black in the movies. Despite in the books Rue is described as having dark brown skin. Now grant it having dark brown skin does not automatically equal Black/African. However the book was clear that they were not white and were a dark skinned people.

Alastor December 22nd, 2015 6:17 pm

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dobby_rocks (Post 6102774)
I know right. The even sadder part is many of those who are all upset don't care when a clearly non-white character is made white for Tv or Film. One example Earthsea in the books the main character Ged is described as red-brown basically his appearance is Native American. His best friend was Black in the books. Yet both were made white in the TV-mini series.

Probably same people that were upset over Rue and Thresh being black in the movies. Despite in the books Rue is described as having dark brown skin. Now grant it having dark brown skin does not automatically equal Black/African. However the book was clear that they were not white and were a dark skinned people.

I seem to remember that in the Earthsea trilogy the only white character was Tenar, whom Ged saved from Atuan in the distant Kargad lands, in book 2. And I also seem to remember that a few more of her people appeared in The other Wind.

DigificWriter December 22nd, 2015 7:32 pm

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
It had never occurred to me in reading the series that Hermione wasn't Caucasian, but aside from one instance where the word 'white' is used clearly to describe her looking scared, there really isn't anything that says that she isn't, which JKR herself rightfully pointed out.

This really is a whole lot of Much Ado about Nothing, but thankfully the 'uproar' has been outclassed by the supportiveness.

snapes_witch December 22nd, 2015 8:16 pm

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
After the initial surprise I've no problem with the casting; it's no big deal in stage productions. As I understand blind casting, one is supposed to suspend belief and continue to think that the character's race/ethnicity/gender/etc. has not changed. My problem is with the attempt to change the long established image of canon Hermione.

ShadowSonic December 23rd, 2015 2:44 am

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
My problem isn't with the Ethnicity of the actress...I just think she looks too old to be playing someone in her late 30s.

snapes_witch December 23rd, 2015 4:44 am

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowSonic (Post 6102789)
My problem isn't with the Ethnicity of the actress...I just think she looks too old to be playing someone in her late 30s.

45 or so.

Wab December 23rd, 2015 6:35 am

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowSonic (Post 6102789)
My problem isn't with the Ethnicity of the actress...I just think she looks too old to be playing someone in her late 30s.

In DH the kids were made up to look a lot older than mid-thirties.

snapes_witch December 23rd, 2015 8:36 am

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowSonic (Post 6102789)
My problem isn't with the Ethnicity of the actress...I just think she looks too old to be playing someone in her late 30s.

Lily and Rose are being cast as teenagers so apparently the story takes place several years after the end of DH. The adults would be in their 40s.

Sereena December 23rd, 2015 11:10 am

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by snapes_witch (Post 6102784)
After the initial surprise I've no problem with the casting; it's no big deal in stage productions. As I understand blind casting, one is supposed to suspend belief and continue to think that the character's race/ethnicity/gender/etc. has not changed. My problem is with the attempt to change the long established image of canon Hermione.

If you're referring to Rowling's tweet, I saw it mostly as her accepting that a black Hermione is a possible interpretation, not so much as her stating outright that canon Hermione is from now on black.

Wab December 23rd, 2015 2:49 pm

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
The tweet essentially states that Hermione's ethnicity is not explicitly stated in canon so in an adaptation she can be any ethnicity.

DigificWriter December 23rd, 2015 3:08 pm

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
This isn't an adaptation of anything. It's an original Canon work (as far as I know, anyway) written for the theatrical medium, just as the Fantastic Beasts screenplays are (I believe) original Canon works written for the filmic medium.

Therefore, Rowling could very easily use the casting to retroactively establish that Hermione is a Canonical non-Caucasian individual, even if she never comes right out and says that she's doing so.

Sereena December 23rd, 2015 4:27 pm

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigificWriter (Post 6102797)
This isn't an adaptation of anything. It's an original Canon work (as far as I know, anyway) written for the theatrical medium, just as the Fantastic Beasts screenplays are (I believe) original Canon works written for the filmic medium.

Therefore, Rowling could very easily use the casting to retroactively establish that Hermione is a Canonical non-Caucasian individual, even if she never comes right out and says that she's doing so.

I'm not sure i understand your point. Yes, the play is based on Rowling's story so it's canon, but the casting is an entirely different thing and not decided by Rowling. This play can only make Hermione dark skinned if something about her skin color or heritage is mentioned in the story itself. Just because the actress looks a certain way however doesn't mean that anything about the character changes. In the movies, there were plenty of actors who were at least 10 years older than their characters. That doesn't mean the ages of the canon characters got changed. Snape was still in his 30s when he died not in his 50s. Hermione is still a white character played by a black actress.

DigificWriter December 23rd, 2015 6:12 pm

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Canon Hermione's skin color and ethnicity have never been specified (as JKR herself pointed out), so to say that Noma is a black actress playing a white character is false.

Because The Cursed Child itself is explicitly Canon, the casting of Noma in the Hermione role, JKR's endorsement of that, and the fact that the character was never Canonically identified as Caucasian have created a scenario wherein JKR could easily use Pottermore and other Canonical sources to reference any specific traits that Noma brings to the role that are inherent to her ethnicity, thereby enshrining said traits in Canon and in turn enshrining Hermione as a non-Caucasian character in Canon without JKR explicitly having to make a declaration that the character was never Canonically Caucasian in the first place.

snapes_witch December 23rd, 2015 8:09 pm

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
I still think it's colorblind casting. We'll have to wait and see who's cast as Rose, won't we?

DigificWriter December 23rd, 2015 8:15 pm

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
It may very well have just been colorblind casting; however, it does present a rather unique situation as far as its potential implications for official HP Canon are concerned.

Sereena December 23rd, 2015 9:14 pm

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigificWriter (Post 6102800)
Canon Hermione's skin color and ethnicity have never been specified (as JKR herself pointed out), so to say that Noma is a black actress playing a white character is false.

Hermione is white, though. She's described several times as looking pale, "white with fear" or pink. She's also described as blushing. Then there's also the fact that whenever a character isn't white, we're told so, like for example Kingsley. I really don't see why Hermione's skin color should be any more in question than Sirius's or Snape's or Tonks's for example.

As for Rowling being able to change something, of course she can but she can do that with basically everything and anything. She could come out tomorrow and say that Luna married Neville because they obviously loved each other in DH part 2 (she approved of that too!). I don't see how this play is any different. She approved of plenty of other actors which didn't exactly fit the characters' looks or age.

DigificWriter December 23rd, 2015 9:36 pm

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
^ You're really going to argue with JKR - whose word is God - when she says that Hermione's skin color and ethnicity were never actually specified (something she's completely right about aside from some descriptions about the character's complexion that have nothing whatsoever to do with what her actual skin color is)?

Sereena December 23rd, 2015 9:51 pm

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigificWriter (Post 6102806)
^ You're really going to argue with JKR - whose word is God - when she says that Hermione's skin color and ethnicity were never actually specified (something she's completely right about aside from some descriptions about the character's complexion that have nothing whatsoever to do with what her actual skin color is)?

There are plenty of people who, since the casting, have been arguing that Hermione is indeed described as white (or that it's at least heavily implied). I don't expect Rowling, who's written plenty of books since the last HP book came out, to remember all the instances where she describes Hermione as pale, pink, etc. What's written down is a fact, not even the author can change that unless she writes another book. She might have meant for Hermione's skin color to be ambiguous but that's a different thing. She's also drawn Hermione as white. Like I said, I don't see why Hermione's skin color is any more in question than Snape's, for example. Or Lupin's.

DigificWriter December 23rd, 2015 9:55 pm

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Descriptions like, pale, pink, blushing, etc. have absolutely nothing to do with skin color and ethnicity, as I already pointed out.

You don't have to agree with JKR's word on this, but you do have to accept it because she is the absolute final authority when it comes to anything and everything related to the Harry Potter property. PERIOD.

Sereena December 23rd, 2015 10:10 pm

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigificWriter (Post 6102808)
Descriptions like, pale, pink, blushing, etc. have absolutely nothing to do with skin color and ethnicity, as I already pointed out.

You don't have to agree with JKR's word on this, but you do have to accept it because she is the absolute final authority when it comes to anything and everything related to the Harry Potter property. PERIOD.

Why don't they have anything to do with skin color? I'm not sure I see the difference but maybe it's a language thing.

Appealing to authority is a logical fallacy in an argument. It says nothing about what actually is. I'm not making any comments on Rowling's thoughts because she is the final authority on that, I'm making comments on her text, i.e, what's written down. Are you saying that if she came out tomorrow and said Hagrid's first name is never mentioned in the text, it would make that a fact? That sounds ridiculous, IMO. And why is her authority in a tweet more important than her authority in the text? Both were written by her.

snapes_witch December 23rd, 2015 10:20 pm

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sereena (Post 6102807)
There are plenty of people who, since the casting, have been arguing that Hermione is indeed described as white (or that it's at least heavily implied). I don't expect Rowling, who's written plenty of books since the last HP book came out, to remember all the instances where she describes Hermione as pale, pink, etc. What's written down is a fact, not even the author can change that unless she writes another book. She might have meant for Hermione's skin color to be ambiguous but that's a different thing. She's also drawn Hermione as white. Like I said, I don't see why Hermione's skin color is any more in question than Snape's, for example. Or Lupin's.

Besides which, she's admitted that she didn't read the books after they're published, even for researching whatever current book she was writing.

ETA:
Actually I suspect JKR's comment has been taken too seriously. As I recall she never said Hermione was black, only that she liked the thought of Hermione being black.

ETA #2:
JKR's tweet 12/21:
Quote:

Canon: brown eyes, frizzy hair and very clever. White skin was never specified. Rowling loves black Hermione.
Hermione's hair is bushy, never described as frizzy. (Sorry, couldn't hold back the nitpicker.)

DigificWriter December 23rd, 2015 10:27 pm

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sereena (Post 6102809)
Why don't they have anything to do with skin color?

Because people of all ethnicities can be described as looking pale (white), going pink (blushing), etc. regardless of what their natural skin color is.

canismajoris December 27th, 2015 8:52 am

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigificWriter (Post 6102811)
Because people of all ethnicities can be described as looking pale (white), going pink (blushing), etc. regardless of what their natural skin color is.

I'm not sure the actual color of Hermione's skin is what we're talking about though. The author has a history of changing her mind about what she's already written, and I believe for the sole purpose of portraying herself positively where her work may not. A number of characters are explicitly described as either black or having dark skin, in contrast, it is presumed, to everyone else. Hermione is most certainly not one of those characters, so "not specified" is the same as "white." JKR is free to feel and desire to be seen as progressive, but she can't retroactively change her books.

Wab December 27th, 2015 9:05 am

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by canismajoris (Post 6102836)
Hermione is most certainly not one of those characters, so "not specified" is the same as "white."

Not it's not. People often project their experiences when reading a book.

Quote:

JKR is free to feel and desire to be seen as progressive, but she can't retroactively change her books.
She's not changing anything in the books.

Sereena December 27th, 2015 1:24 pm

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Here are some lines from the books:

"Hermione's white face was sticking out from behind a tree" (POA)

"Hermione gave an almost inaudible sniff. She had been exceptionally quiet all day. Having hurtled, white-faced, up to Harry outside the hospital wing and demanded to know what had happened" (HBP)

"But - but where? How? said Hermione, whose face was white" (HBP).

I interpret these as her being white since it's pretty odd to describe someone who has dark skin as being "white faced". Of course, it could just be that Rowling is using "white" as a metaphor for fear but I don't know.

I agree that unless something is specified about a character, one should assume the norm. For example, if a character isn't described as looking beautiful, one should assume the character is average-looking like most people are. In the UK, white people are the majority (to my knowledge) so an author would probably specify if a character is non-white (Rowling does this with several characters). Of course, this doesn't mean there isn't some wiggle room in how one interprets things.

DigificWriter December 27th, 2015 6:43 pm

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by canismajoris (Post 6102836)
JKR is free to feel and desire to be seen as progressive, but she can't retroactively change her books.

Actually, she can.

However, she's not actually changing anything when she states that "white skin was never specified" re: Hermione's character in Canon; she's simply making a statement of fact.

Sereena December 27th, 2015 7:20 pm

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigificWriter (Post 6102841)
Actually, she can.

However, she's not actually changing anything when she states that "white skin was never specified" re: Hermione's character in Canon; she's simply making a statement of fact.

Actually skin color is specified in the quotes above. She's described as white several times.

Pensieve_Seeker December 27th, 2015 7:41 pm

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sereena (Post 6102842)
Actually skin color is specified in the quotes above. She's described as white several times.

Hang on. So, you think that as JKR was writing each of those passages she thought to herself "This will be a good moment to let the reader know that she is Caucasian"?

Sereena December 27th, 2015 8:20 pm

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
No, she might not have done it on purpose but she certainly describes Hermione as white. It's no different than writing about Snape's "pale face", for example. The point isn't to establish "race", rather it depends on the context. Besides, I'm not sure what your point is. Rowling is just describing how someone looks at a certain moment, she does that with many other characters.

snapes_witch December 27th, 2015 10:58 pm

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigificWriter (Post 6102841)
Actually, she can.

Yes an author can, but it's a very bad idea since it makes a mess of continuity.

canismajoris December 28th, 2015 12:10 am

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigificWriter (Post 6102841)
Actually, she can.

When will new book(s) be published?

snapes_witch December 28th, 2015 1:13 am

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by canismajoris (Post 6102846)
When will new book(s) be published?

There are no new books.

canismajoris December 28th, 2015 1:33 am

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by snapes_witch (Post 6102849)
There are no new books.

Then I think that settles the matter of an author adding new material to existing works.

snapes_witch December 28th, 2015 4:03 am

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by canismajoris (Post 6102850)
Then I think that settles the matter of an author adding new material to existing works.

No new books: HP and the Cursed Child is a stage play and Fantastic Beasts is a future movie trilogy. JKR has announced that they are canon because she's involved in writing them. So new info.

DigificWriter December 28th, 2015 5:46 am

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by snapes_witch (Post 6102845)
Yes an author can, but it's a very bad idea since it makes a mess of continuity.

No, it doesn't.

And, anyway, JKR has already retroactively changed her own works. See Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 9 ("Draco had a look on his face similar to the time Hermione had punched him.")

snapes_witch December 28th, 2015 6:19 am

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigificWriter (Post 6102855)
No, it doesn't.

And, anyway, JKR has already retroactively changed her own works. See Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 9 ("Draco had a look on his face similar to the time Hermione had punched him.")

Movie contamination!

DigificWriter December 28th, 2015 6:22 am

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
^ No; it's JKR using her authorial discretion to retroactively Canonize Alfonso Cuaron and Steve Kloves' artistic interpretation of what she had originally written because she liked and approved of it.

snapes_witch December 28th, 2015 7:24 pm

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigificWriter (Post 6102857)
^ No; it's JKR using her authorial discretion to retroactively Canonize Alfonso Cuaron and Steve Kloves' artistic interpretation of what she had originally written because she liked and approved of it.

:clap: You've won the internet! :clap:

Liselle December 30th, 2015 11:03 pm

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
I've tickets for next december and I'm really excited about it. Everything I've heard just whets my appetite for more Potter-ness a little more.....

I agree, the whole kerfuffle about skin colour is a storm in a tea cup. We all have assumptions - and that's fine, but honestly the uproar about a non white Hermione is ridiculous. I have fallen into the trap of assuming that the trio were all white so I was intrigued at the casting but it didn't go beyond that, the whole thing of books is they're open to interpretation and enjoyment and we shouldn't get so carried away with being overly concerned with figuring what race any of the characters is. Personally, I just don't think it matters if they're green or purple or any other colour under the sun.

HMN January 14th, 2016 1:04 pm

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sereena (Post 6102838)
Here are some lines from the books:

"Hermione's white face was sticking out from behind a tree" (POA)

"Hermione gave an almost inaudible sniff. She had been exceptionally quiet all day. Having hurtled, white-faced, up to Harry outside the hospital wing and demanded to know what had happened" (HBP)

"But - but where? How? said Hermione, whose face was white" (HBP).

I interpret these as her being white since it's pretty odd to describe someone who has dark skin as being "white faced". Of course, it could just be that Rowling is using "white" as a metaphor for fear but I don't know.

I agree that unless something is specified about a character, one should assume the norm. For example, if a character isn't described as looking beautiful, one should assume the character is average-looking like most people are. In the UK, white people are the majority (to my knowledge) so an author would probably specify if a character is non-white (Rowling does this with several characters). Of course, this doesn't mean there isn't some wiggle room in how one interprets things.

I always assumed Hermione was not a person of color, because, as you said she's not specifically stated as such. However the quotes above, describe her as a metaphor for fear. As in the blood drained out of her face leaving her pale or 'white as a ghost'. Even people of color turn pale when ill or frightened.

When I first heard the news I was stumped. And then I realized I had my own bias because I am white, I assumed Hermione was too. And you know what, having her be non-white is great. I think JKR was approached with the idea, realized that she should have had more diversity in her magic school and course corrected for the play.

I get to see the play this summer. I'm so excited. I hope the story is great. I will be a bit crushed if it's not!

Anhelda February 10th, 2016 6:36 pm

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Just read an article that the script of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child will be published, so it will be a new book of sorts.

http://www.eonline.com/news/738729/w...s-a-tiny-catch

MrSleepyHead February 10th, 2016 10:33 pm

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Great news. I was hoping they would make the script available worldwide to accommodate those fans unable to travel to London (or wherever else they may take the play). It will also be nice to read the script free from the actors' influence, regardless of whether you get to see the play. It will be interesting to read "the eighth Harry Potter book" in script form, though!

xhanax315 February 11th, 2016 1:50 am

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
I have mixed feelings about all this news. Are we sure we should be calling it an 8th Harry Potter book? It seems to me like we're stretching the truth here. :whistle:

Wab February 11th, 2016 2:56 am

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Well, it's a Potter book (not a novel as some sites have said), probably safest to say its a story in the Potterverse as the series really was about Harry defeat Voldemort and bring balance to the galaxy.

Fhaps February 11th, 2016 4:01 pm

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Well, it IS being called the official '8th story', and it IS in book form. So technically, yeah, it is the 8th book. It's just not a novel. But I honestly don't mind it being in script form, I'm REALLY excited!!

MrSleepyHead February 11th, 2016 4:21 pm

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by xhanax315 (Post 6103587)
I have mixed feelings about all this news. Are we sure we should be calling it an 8th Harry Potter book? It seems to me like we're stretching the truth here. :whistle:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wab
Well, it's a Potter book (not a novel as some sites have said), probably safest to say its a story in the Potterverse as the series really was about Harry defeat Voldemort and bring balance to the galaxy.

I have a hard time calling it the "eighth Harry Potter book," but I'm going by what we've been told that it is officially the eight Potter story that will now be published as a script book:
J.K. Rowling TwitterThe story of #CursedChild should be considered canon, though. @jackthorne, John Tiffany (the director) and I developed it together.
5:34 AM - 29 Jun 2015

To be clear! The SCRIPT of #CursedChild is being published. #NotANovel #NotAPrequel ��
4:19 AM - 11 Feb 2016

The script will be in book form, true, but it's still #NotAPrequel because it's set #19YearsLater
4:57 AM - 11 Feb 2016

Pottermore, 23 October 2015, New details on Cursed Child, the ‘eighth Harry Potter story'It’s official. The Cursed Child is the eighth story in the Harry Potter series and we have the synopsis to share with you.

Pottermore, 10 February 2016, Exciting publishing programme from J.K. Rowling’s Wizarding WorldBig things are coming this year from the Wizarding World, including the Special Rehearsal Edition of the script book of new stage play ‘Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II'.
[...]
It is officially the eighth story in Harry Potter canon and a new play by Jack Thorne.

Now, I wouldn't say it's a continuation of the story told in the seven Harry Potter books, which was wrapped up with DH. However, it does seem to be an extension of the world and a glimpse of Harry's life 19+ years later - different story, but still part of the whole story of Harry's life.

I've seen a couple of articles hoping for 10+ loose ends to be tied up with this story, which I think is overly optimistic. I'd rather this play be more standalone instead of relentless cameos and forced explanations for things that happened in years 1-7.

Edit: In related news, the day after the announcement of the publication, Cursed Child topped bestseller charts on Amazon, Amazon UK, Waterstones, and Barnes & Noble (listed as 320 pages, hardcover). No surprise! Are midnight releases imminent?

NorthernZel February 11th, 2016 7:49 pm

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by xhanax315 (Post 6103587)
I have mixed feelings about all this news. Are we sure we should be calling it an 8th Harry Potter book? It seems to me like we're stretching the truth here. :whistle:

Depends. After all, the script to "Death Of A Salesman" is considered as literature (at least in my neck of the woods it is :p ).

But we could also call it a "companion" book to the original series?

snapes_witch February 11th, 2016 8:06 pm

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
FYI

This is the 'rehearsal' script, meaning there will probably be many changes before the actual performance. According to SnitchSeeker though, eventually there will be a performance script published. I'm waiting for that one!!

MrSleepyHead February 11th, 2016 9:19 pm

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthernZel
But we could also call it a "companion" book to the original series?

This is how I view it so far, but the play so far has been billed as the eight Potter story, which separates it from the existing companion books. Cursed Child seems to toe the line between a sequel (books 2-7) and spin-off (Fantastic Beasts). It doesn't seem to be so much a sequel to DH as it is a continuation of Harry's life and the beginning of a new story within that (i.e., Albus Severus).
Quote:

Originally Posted by snapes_witch (Post 6103612)
This is the 'rehearsal' script, meaning there will probably be many changes before the actual performance. According to SnitchSeeker though, eventually there will be a performance script published. I'm waiting for that one!!

It does seem the publication of the rehearsal script is to appease those fans who can't see the play in London, but I expect allegations of money grabbing will follow soon after. The rehearsal edition has been billed as a special edition, though, and may be available for only a short time. Regardless, the definitive copy will likely trump the rehearsal script in terms of canon; it will be interesting to see how much they differ. I also wonder how spoilers will be handled: one would expect more leaks with a play being rehearsed than a novel being printed.

Fhaps February 12th, 2016 7:56 pm

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead (Post 6103614)
It does seem the publication of the rehearsal script is to appease those fans who can't see the play in London, but I expect allegations of money grabbing will follow soon after. The rehearsal edition has been billed as a special edition, though, and may be available for only a short time. Regardless, the definitive copy will likely trump the rehearsal script in terms of canon; it will be interesting to see how much they differ. I also wonder how spoilers will be handled: one would expect more leaks with a play being rehearsed than a novel being printed.

It was confirmed in the original press release that the Special Rehearsal Edition will only be available for a limited time and that it will be "replaced" by the Definitive Collector's Edition at a later time.

I'm assuming that the whole play's plot will be available online for anyone who wants to know about it by the end of May, which is when public previews will start. It's gonna be hard to avoid spoilers.

Wab February 12th, 2016 8:28 pm

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead (Post 6103604)
I have a hard time calling it the "eighth Harry Potter book," but I'm going by what we've been told that it is officially the eight Potter story that will now be published as a script book:

There is also the not inconsiderable fact that the play is by a different writer. JKR has been at pains to point out that although she has been closely involved with the project she is not the author.

JKR TwitterJ.K. Rowling ‏@jk_rowling

You win! #CursedChild is a play and while we have worked very closely on it, the wonderful writer is @jackthorne

Fhaps February 12th, 2016 10:12 pm

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wab (Post 6103632)
There is also the not inconsiderable fact that the play is by a different writer. JKR has been at pains to point out that although she has been closely involved with the project she is not the author.

JKR TwitterJ.K. Rowling ‏@jk_rowling

You win! #CursedChild is a play and while we have worked very closely on it, the wonderful writer is @jackthorne

I think that by saying that what she wants to point out is that even though she didn't write the script, it is still true to her vision.

MrSleepyHead February 12th, 2016 11:01 pm

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fhaps (Post 6103635)
I think that by saying that what she wants to point out is that even though she didn't write the script, it is still true to her vision.

And I expect most fans will be content with this, but I think there will be those who are unsatisfied the script isn't written directly by her. Though since the canon is presumably derived from JKR, it really isn't a huge deal. It reminds me of James Patterson's 'bestseller factory'.

The publication of Cursed Child makes me wonder if the Fantastic Beasts script will be published, too, despite the movie format reaching a larger audience.

Wab February 13th, 2016 5:18 am

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fhaps (Post 6103635)
I think that by saying that what she wants to point out is that even though she didn't write the script, it is still true to her vision.

I think she was trying to clear up the idea some people had that she wrote the play.

Sereena February 13th, 2016 9:33 am

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead (Post 6103643)
And I expect most fans will be content with this, but I think there will be those who are unsatisfied the script isn't written directly by her. Though since the canon is presumably derived from JKR, it really isn't a huge deal. It reminds me of James Patterson's 'bestseller factory'.

But if it wasn't written by her just approved by her isn't it as canon (or as uncanon?) as the movies are?

snapes_witch February 13th, 2016 7:56 pm

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sereena (Post 6103650)
But if it wasn't written by her just approved by her isn't it as canon (or as uncanon?) as the movies are?

There are some fans who don't consider the movies to be canon since they depart so much from the books.

JKR says the play is canon.

Sereena February 13th, 2016 9:06 pm

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
I don't consider the movies canon either so that's why I was asking. Despite them being approved by Rowling. Did she specifically say we should consider the play canon?

HedwigOwl February 14th, 2016 6:25 am

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sereena (Post 6103655)
I don't consider the movies canon either so that's why I was asking. Despite them being approved by Rowling. Did she specifically say we should consider the play canon?

Apparently she did, quoted in this article in The Guardian from this past Friday:
http://www.theguardian.com/books/201...r-cursed-child

snapes_witch February 14th, 2016 7:46 pm

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by HedwigOwl (Post 6103670)
Apparently she did, quoted in this article in The Guardian from this past Friday:
http://www.theguardian.com/books/201...r-cursed-child

Also the Fantastic Beasts movie trilogy because she's writing the screenplays.

And Pottermore . . . .

MrSleepyHead February 15th, 2016 2:52 am

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Which raises the question: can JKR dictate what is canon, particularly with works she didn't write(Cursed Child) and embellish/deviate from her writing (Fantastic Beasts)?

HedwigOwl February 15th, 2016 5:17 am

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead (Post 6103691)
Which raises the question: can JKR dictate what is canon, particularly with works she didn't write(Cursed Child) and embellish/deviate from her writing (Fantastic Beasts)?

I think she's the only one in a position to say what's canon. The more interesting thing to me is the contract page published in The Guardian -- given certain already existing works were named as exempt from any work by the scriptwriters, so was a rumored book-to-be...hope for the Scottish Book lives on, as it's named specifically.

Spirit March 19th, 2016 6:11 am

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
All I know is that I'm hoping there will be a midnight book release for The Cursed Child. Take me back to 2007! Just to get a little taste of that magic would be nice again.

snapes_witch March 19th, 2016 8:53 pm

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spirit (Post 6104224)
All I know is that I'm hoping there will be a midnight book release for The Cursed Child. Take me back to 2007! Just to get a little taste of that magic would be nice again.

Doubtful since there weren't any for the textbooks or The Tales of Beedle the Bard. It's merely a script, not a full-blown novel.

Spirit March 20th, 2016 8:14 am

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by snapes_witch (Post 6104231)
Doubtful since there weren't any for the textbooks or The Tales of Beedle the Bard. It's merely a script, not a full-blown novel.

Looked into it, and I found this article here. It looks like the bookstores are looking into it. Unfortunately, where I live, there are no Books-a-Million stores, just Barnes and Noble... so hopefully Barnes and Noble will go for it. I did see a sign in their window last weekend. Odyssey Bookshop looks like they're definitely doing a midnight release.

Time will tell. If there's a midnight release, I'll be there. If it isn't available until 8 AM, I'll be there then.

http://www.hypable.com/harry-potter-...-party-events/

snapes_witch March 20th, 2016 10:51 pm

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spirit (Post 6104247)
Looked into it, and I found this article here. It looks like the bookstores are looking into it. Unfortunately, where I live, there are no Books-a-Million stores, just Barnes and Noble... so hopefully Barnes and Noble will go for it. I did see a sign in their window last weekend. Odyssey Bookshop looks like they're definitely doing a midnight release.

Time will tell. If there's a midnight release, I'll be there. If it isn't available until 8 AM, I'll be there then.

http://www.hypable.com/harry-potter-...-party-events/

Thanks for the update. I won't be attending though as I'm planning on buying the final edition.

Spirit March 21st, 2016 4:59 am

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by snapes_witch (Post 6104251)
Thanks for the update. I won't be attending though as I'm planning on buying the final edition.

I guess I'm out of the loop. I didn't know there would be a final edition v. what will initially be released. Or I'm just too lazy to read more carefully about it. Oh well, I'll wind up buying them both. I'm that pathetic.

Regardless, I am truly looking forward to it... only 132 days and 2 hours to go.

Fhaps March 22nd, 2016 4:49 pm

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spirit (Post 6104257)
I guess I'm out of the loop. I didn't know there would be a final edition v. what will initially be released. Or I'm just too lazy to read more carefully about it. Oh well, I'll wind up buying them both. I'm that pathetic.

Regardless, I am truly looking forward to it... only 132 days and 2 hours to go.

Yes, there will be two different editions! The one getting published on July 31st is the 'Special Rehearsal Edition', which will be the script as it will stand before previews start. During the preview shows some changes are deemed to happen, so later on (a date hasn't been announced) a Definitive version of the script will be published.

And yes, I'll for sure get both of them. And there's no question about release parties, they WILL happen. There's a reason why the release date is July 31st at 00:01 a.m. - I'll watch the play in London on the 27th of July, so i'll stay around for the release parties that same weekend!!! I'm so excited.

Spirit March 23rd, 2016 5:49 am

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fhaps (Post 6104265)
Yes, there will be two different editions! The one getting published on July 31st is the 'Special Rehearsal Edition', which will be the script as it will stand before previews start. During the preview shows some changes are deemed to happen, so later on (a date hasn't been announced) a Definitive version of the script will be published.

And yes, I'll for sure get both of them. And there's no question about release parties, they WILL happen. There's a reason why the release date is July 31st at 00:01 a.m. - I'll watch the play in London on the 27th of July, so i'll stay around for the release parties that same weekend!!! I'm so excited.

I'm excited too. I'm a teacher, and I have a countdown on the white board by my desk (129 days!). I've managed to get about half of my students to start reading Harry Potter. Those who are, are excited. Those who aren't think I'm crazy.

I just noticed too that the book will be 320 pages long. That's pretty large - a lot longer than I would expect a play to be.

Fhaps March 28th, 2016 8:46 am

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spirit (Post 6104274)
I'm excited too. I'm a teacher, and I have a countdown on the white board by my desk (129 days!). I've managed to get about half of my students to start reading Harry Potter. Those who are, are excited. Those who aren't think I'm crazy.

I just noticed too that the book will be 320 pages long. That's pretty large - a lot longer than I would expect a play to be.

Good that you are getting the kids on board!!

In regards of the page count, we do have to keep in mind that this is a play in two parts, so double the page count of any normal play. I also think this may not be the final count? Maybe that's the length of the script the cast is working with, but once it is fitted into book format it may change? Who knows how advanced in the editorial process they are.

Midnightsfire April 12th, 2016 8:28 pm

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
o man...between Fantastic Beasts and Cursed Child, this place is going to explode this summer.

*chuckles ominously*

Fhaps April 13th, 2016 4:59 pm

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Midnightsfire (Post 6104467)
o man...between Fantastic Beasts and Cursed Child, this place is going to explode this summer.

*chuckles ominously*

Isn't it sad, though? That even with all this new stuff going on this place is practically dead? :( Wish it was as active as it used to be!

Spirit April 16th, 2016 6:36 am

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fhaps (Post 6104477)
Isn't it sad, though? That even with all this new stuff going on this place is practically dead? :( Wish it was as active as it used to be!

Yes... I remember the good old days when this place was alive and I could spend all day long on here. I even recognize the names of people I'm typing to here.

Proof that it was the anticipation that was the life of this fandom. Not knowing what was going to happen in the next Harry Potter book was what made the whole experience.

I am hoping with The Cursed Child and Fantastic Beasts, this fandom will rise again.

Only 105 days left until The Cursed Child.

Montse June 5th, 2016 5:11 pm

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
I promised myself I would not even try to check if the forums were active, or if people were discussing this or not...yeah, I could not help myself.

Here is what I need to get out of my chest, already got it out on face but, muggles are clueless about these, so no one can give me hope.

1.I am scared this new installment will ruin my favorite story.With this darkess will come from unexpected places, I am afraid they will go Kylo Wren on us.

2.okay, maybe I am over reacting, but I would not be pleased if Albus goes dark wizard on us, I am entitled to my opinion right ? I would hate that.Unless, the story told us about his doubts, the pressure of being Harry's son and how his friends, Rose and Scorpious help him find the right path...I am being cheesy , right? I dont care.

3. I am hoping, since according to Jo, it should be regarded as canon, that is stays true to the message that love is the greatest and most powerful magic of all.

There, those thought have been consuming my soul for the past days, finally voiced them out.

Its good this place is still around, even if not so active:clap:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phane00 (Post 6101844)
Finally! There truly needed to be a forum for this play. Thanks for starting this.

First of all... to Ms. Rowling, No! Leave Harry alone. His story, and his family's story was done after book 7. That does not mean that I wanted to leave the Magical World, just leave Harry out of any stories other than the occasional nod. Stick to bits like what she did at Pottermore during the World Cup with Ginny Weasley and Rita Skeeter.
.

Good, I am not the only one who feels this way.

GingerCat1 June 8th, 2016 12:29 pm

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
For those that want the general plot to part 1 here it is

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sop22s

Warning though as it contains a lot of spoilers.

MrSleepyHead June 8th, 2016 3:17 pm

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
I wonder if it will be possible for the Internet to "#KeepTheSecrets" for more than a month and a half until the script book is released. We'll see!

snapes_witch June 9th, 2016 7:45 pm

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GingerCat1 (Post 6105141)
For those that want the general plot to part 1 here it is

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sop22s

Warning though as it contains a lot of spoilers.

If that's true, it's pretty disappointing.

Fawkesfan1 June 9th, 2016 7:56 pm

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by snapes_witch (Post 6105160)
If that's true, it's pretty disappointing.

Definitely. I have no words for this at all.

Montse June 10th, 2016 1:23 am

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
If all that is true, it cannot be considered canon, at least to me....its just too...can't find the right word.
Will have to wait to read it, to make a valid statement, but my expectations have been lowered , I hoped for something worth of the title"the eighth story "

Fawkesfan1 June 10th, 2016 1:54 am

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Montse (Post 6105163)
If all that is true, it cannot be considered cannon, at least to me....its just too...can't find the right word.
Will have to wait to read it, to make a valid statement, but my expectations have been lowered , I hoped for something worth of the title"the eighth story "

Same here. If I do read it one day, I'd consider it in the same vein as I consider The X-Files S10 in part. I'll basically ignore it.

xhanax315 June 10th, 2016 3:20 am

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GingerCat1 (Post 6105141)
For those that want the general plot to part 1 here it is

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sop22s

Warning though as it contains a lot of spoilers.

Somebody explain to me what I just read here...:yuhup:

LilyDreamsOn June 10th, 2016 3:33 am

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
If anyone wants in-depth spoilers for the second part of the play, you can read them on this tumblr:

http://victorkrvm.tumblr.com/post/14...child-part-two

I thought part 2 was even worse (except one part near the end that I liked). I'm personally not going to consider any of this as canon. This doesn't feel at all like Harry Potter.

xhanax315 June 10th, 2016 3:55 am

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Part two didn't seem any better than the second. :whistle: I guess since Jo didn't write it all entirely herself, I can understand why it turned out this way. If all this is accurate, of course. :yuhup: I knew there wasn't anything to get all excited about. :shrug:

cardinalguy June 10th, 2016 6:18 am

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by xhanax315 (Post 6105165)
Somebody explain to me what I just read here...:yuhup:

An incomprehensible mess that contradicts book canon.
Spoiler: show
Seriously, PoA established the rules for time travel. This takes those rules and smashes them with a daedric warhammer.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 8:52 am.

Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Original content is Copyright MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright its respective owners.